DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

If you're CRASHING at LIVE gigs, Its your fault not Serato

pdidy 12:47 AM - 20 May, 2014
Now lets qualify that statement by first saying that your client does not give a Shit about your 101 reasons why YOUR serato crashed, nor do they likely know or care what the hell serato is. Their ONLY concern is that you failed and I happen to agree with them. Once a client looses faith in you, quite often you will NEVER get it back. Therefore it is your job as a dj to ensure that you do everything within your power not to fail. This can be done once you remove serato as a potential scapegoat.....

There has always been a clear divide between the Flawless users and the users with Crash issues. I have always been part of the Flawless users since Day 1 2004, except on one occasion a few years ago. I accept 100% responsibility for my one and only Live Crash because I knowingly broke one of the major rules that dj's like myself follow religiously with no exceptions. I knowingly updated serato at a live gig for the purpose of Showing off a new feature and my system crashed.

1. Never make major changes to your system prior to live gigs.
A. Serato Software updates or upgrades
B. Operating System updates and upgrades
C. New laptops
D. New external hard drive
E. ie...anything new and untested

2. All updates, upgrades and all changes are tested until proven 100% stable and reliable prior to live use. Treat every version of serato as unstable and unreliable until proven differently.

3. Establish a stable and reliable base you can always come back too incase of emergency.
For example, if there is an older version of serato scratchlive, itch or serato dj that you have proven to work flawlessly NEVER DELETE IT because its your safety net until a better one comes along.

4. Stability and reliability is FAR more important than ANY new update or upgrade. Never risk your reputation for a New feature.

5. If your system is not 100% flawless to the best of your knowledge, you should not be taking live/paid gigs. If you do so regardless, all failures are on you.

As a professional, I've evolved past the point of blaming serato because I've provided myself a solid foundation. Be clear that you as a dj are the Boss, judge and jury of your business so NOTHING happens without YOUR ok and final approval.
pdidy 1:13 AM - 20 May, 2014
I will never have the need to rely on serato's "Quality control" because they must first pass mine in order to see the light of day.
DJSCIASCIA 1:32 AM - 20 May, 2014
I must say. Well said and 1000% accurate.
djdjonesdotcom 2:29 AM - 20 May, 2014
I definitely agree... Great advice.
AKIEM 3:37 AM - 20 May, 2014
I dont agree (just a little)

I had a couple crashes at gigs a couple years back. Only ones ever at gigs. Had to do with VSL. These crashes were not easily reproducible by testing and happened about three, four hours into a session sometimes. This way you could test plenty with solid results at home it would be rock solid. But at the gig, 1AM hits - blam - crash.

I could set it to auto, run all night might not crash. The way I had to reproduce this crash every time at home was to set up an automation system which mimicked me playing and let it run all night to reproduce the crash every time.

THAT is too much testing to blame on the DJ not testing enough.
DJ Reflex 3:55 AM - 20 May, 2014
I agree that "field testing" your gear (lights, sound system, and software) before you play out is essential, but I had an issue a few weeks ago where SSL worked flawlessly on Friday night (with video) and then suddenly crashed on Sat. No rhyme - no reason... just crashed. Took me days to figure it out and several conversations with Serato techs.

With that being said, I ALWAYS have backup. From spare laptop, phone chocked with music, records, CDs, whatever. I carry twice as many cords as I need to and will never give a client (mostly brides and their moms) an excuse. SSL has been rock solid for me too since version 1.1 - but goofy stuff happens.
pdidy 5:37 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

I had a couple crashes at gigs a couple years back. Only ones ever at gigs. Had to do with VSL. These crashes were not easily reproducible by testing and happened about three, four hours into a session sometimes. This way you could test plenty with solid results at home it would be rock solid. But at the gig, 1AM hits - blam - crash.

I could set it to auto, run all night might not crash. The way I had to reproduce this crash every time at home was to set up an automation system which mimicked me playing and let it run all night to reproduce the crash every time.

I can depend on you disagree at least a lil or else it wouldn't be you....jk

So you had one of the most difficult issues to test for and replicate which is time related, so what was the official diagnosis and fix ?
pdidy 5:41 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
I agree that "field testing" your gear (lights, sound system, and software) before you play out is essential, but I had an issue a few weeks ago where SSL worked flawlessly on Friday night (with video) and then suddenly crashed on Sat. No rhyme - no reason... just crashed. Took me days to figure it out and several conversations with Serato techs.

What was the diagnosis and fix ?
pdidy 6:01 AM - 20 May, 2014
And to the inevitable argument that "nothing can't tested and guaranteed to work 100% flawlessly" ......while that will always be true, the topic is truly about doing your best with the knowledge that's readily available to us to defend against these issues proactively while not taking the victim approach.
pdidy 6:08 AM - 20 May, 2014
Btw, this topic is not directed a individuals who've only had a few crashes with many years of flawless use. Apparently you're already doing something right.
L'Phonik 8:25 AM - 20 May, 2014
bang on!
AKIEM 8:29 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I can depend on you disagree at least a lil or else it wouldn't be you....jk

So you had one of the most difficult issues to test for and replicate which is time related, so what was the official diagnosis and fix ?

If I remember correctly I switched to ME well before the issue was resolved and dint worry about it too much (mostly because of how much gd testing time/energy I wasted on it - no fucks given after that)
AKIEM 8:29 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Btw, this topic is not directed a individuals who've only had a few crashes with many years of flawless use. Apparently you're already doing something right.

;-)
 6 1:28 PM - 20 May, 2014
Who remembers the version of Serato that killed SL1's?

nm
 6 1:32 PM - 20 May, 2014
Who remembers the version of SSL that corrupted mp4's?

nm
Joee 1:38 PM - 20 May, 2014
i always test at home for hours before using at a live gig setting, i'm running serato dj 1.6.1 flawless

a iPod with some mixes connected to a aux input can be a life saver for those who just download the latest version before a gig
JDforKing 2:58 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
i always test at home for hours before using at a live gig setting, i'm running serato dj 1.6.1 flawless

a iPod with some mixes connected to a aux input can be a life saver for those who just download the latest version before a gig

Are you running 1.6.1 with pitch n time?
Joee 3:01 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

no PnT

to many people complaining about it
DJ Quartz 6:46 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Who remembers the version of Serato that killed SL1's?

Quote:
Who remembers the version of SSL that corrupted mp4's?

I wasn't on the platform at the time but read about the madness.

Quote:

1.6.3 with PNT an working for me, adding on a SP1 today for further testing.

@ pdidy

Yes, people need to realize anytime you add a computer into a solution for anything you will have test, and test, and test, and then test again... then repeat
RonDu 9:58 PM - 20 May, 2014
My computer never crashed since cleaning out the corrupts but something happened Sat that never happened before;

I only play in ABS mode on MY set up but a couple of tracks that I played looped a couple of times (WTF?). I checked the wave form and could see a section of the wave was highlighted in green and that was where it was looping. One track looped may 2 times, about 2 hours later another looped about 4 times and then maybe an hour later another looped so much I had to switch to the other record. How did this happen in ABS Mode???? I'm baffled!
DJ Quartz 10:01 PM - 20 May, 2014
^ WHAT????
DJMark 10:55 PM - 20 May, 2014
There seem to have always been a few "land mines" within SL that may cause a crash or some other freakish behavior one time out of every 10,000 or more. No doubt in my mind that SDJ has the same kind of thing to a greater degree.

One example I ran into fairly recently: starting an evening normally, about 10 minutes in I clicked on "setup" to view the scopes. Done it a million times before in the last 9 years with no issue....this one time, SL crashed. Reboot/relaunch, everything fine. Tried to repeat that issue at least 100 times since and can't get a crash to happen again.

Since it was the first time in over 5 years I've had any kind of "disruptive" issue with SL at a gig, and extensive diagnostics reveal nothing apparently wrong with the computer/operating system/library, I guess it serves as a reminder that personal computers are still relatively immature technology. Comparing it with automobiles, we're at about 1930 or 1935 right now.
pdidy 12:00 AM - 21 May, 2014
@ DJMark , YES I believe these "land mines" do exist kind of like the "perfect storm" but luckily they don't show up often if ever.
DJ Reflex 12:10 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I know what you're trying to do... LOL But I'll bite anyway. Turns out that when I switched to Mac, about 6 months ago, I found that Mac did not like the song files buried ten layers deep in iTunes folders. I had to reorganize my entire library after I figured that one out. So, all is good for two weeks and a couple gigs. Then, SSL decides to crash again on Mac because songs by Micheal Buble have non-English characters in them and SSL did not like the tagging.
I'm not blaming the software or the Mac per se, but I never encountered these issues on PC before. And I've had those non-English characters on my Mac the whole time without any issue. Why all the sudden did it decide that it did not like them?
pdidy 12:15 AM - 21 May, 2014
I forgot to mention in my original post that it is very important to always do a fresh reboot of your system prior to any live performance !

You would be amazed at how something as simple as this can protect you from a lot of weird shit.
DJ Reflex 12:19 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
I forgot to mention in my original post that it is very important to always do a fresh reboot of your system prior to any live performance !

You would be amazed at how something as simple as this can protect you from a lot of weird shit.

Yup! Also, Mac decides to not recognize 57 mixer. It stays in internal mode. Tech support was quick to respond with the easy fix (it's on the forum somewhere), but never gave a clear answer as to why it happened in the first place. Some .kext file got corrupted... WTF?
pdidy 12:20 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know what you're trying to do... LOL But I'll bite anyway. Turns out that when I switched to Mac, about 6 months ago, I found that Mac did not like the song files buried ten layers deep in iTunes folders. I had to reorganize my entire library after I figured that one out. So, all is good for two weeks and a couple gigs. Then, SSL decides to crash again on Mac because songs by Micheal Buble have non-English characters in them and SSL did not like the tagging.
I'm not blaming the software or the Mac per se, but I never encountered these issues on PC before. And I've had those non-English characters on my Mac the whole time without any issue. Why all the sudden did it decide that it did not like them?

Naa, no set up intended.....lol I was not aware of that issue, learn something new.
pdidy 12:26 AM - 21 May, 2014
Oh yes, but I was setting up AKIEM, unfortunately his response didn't allow it to work.

He may have seen it coming .......lol
DJ Unique 1:50 AM - 21 May, 2014
One live crash at the very beginning of a Club gig about 5 years ago.
It was a newer external that decided to stop working.

First and last time I purchased a Buffalo external.
I always carry cloned back-ups so I was good to go.
AKIEM 2:52 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Oh yes, but I was setting up AKIEM, unfortunately his response didn't allow it to work.

He may have seen it coming .......lol

If I always looked for and found all the traps... that wouldnt be any fun :-)
nm
pdidy 4:14 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

I stopped using externals a few yrs ago just because a dj barely nudged my external and it disconnected. Turned out I needed a new cable but I never felt safe again so its strictly internal for me. Im killin every possible risk...lol
Owl G 6:49 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

This. I feel like something as simple as a reboot is forgotten, often.
AKIEM 7:00 AM - 21 May, 2014
Before any gig. I do my library work at home. Reboot, check. Shutdown. Get to the spot, Boot. No putting to sleep. Play. (generally)

nm
pdidy 7:27 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Before any gig. I do my library work at home. Reboot, check. Shutdown. Get to the spot, Boot. No putting to sleep. Play. (generally)

nm

Exactly and in that order.......sleep is a no no.
Owl G 7:42 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Exactly and in that order.......sleep is a no no.

Is it pretty common knowledge that sleep messes your stuff up? I've done some pre-gig sleeping and haven't had issues....yet.
Owl G 7:47 AM - 21 May, 2014
I guess what I'm asking is, even with the new software and new computers, is this still a prevalent issue? Or is it a "just in case" thing.
pdidy 8:36 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
I guess what I'm asking is, even with the new software and new computers, is this still a prevalent issue? Or is it a "just in case" thing.

dj.rane.com
Owl G 8:46 AM - 21 May, 2014
Thanks
DJ VEE 3:51 PM - 21 May, 2014
"Why all the sudden did it decide that it did not like them?"

You must have gotten a female version. Keep track and see if this keeps happening around the same time every month. LOL!
AKIEM 4:00 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

dj.rane.com

yup, I do all that.

But wheres the 'how to optimize you PC' article?
dj.rane.com
 6 4:11 PM - 21 May, 2014
How to optimize your PC.

1. Throw PC in trash
2. But a Mac

nm
 6 4:11 PM - 21 May, 2014
Errrr buy a Mac.

Nm
Joee 4:13 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
How to optimize your PC.

1. Throw PC in trash

and why in the world would you want to ruin a perfectly good trash can by doing that
AKIEM 4:17 PM - 21 May, 2014
How to optimize your PC.

Keep you virus protection up to date, or dont click on: www.djjohnnym.com
oi58.tinypic.com
DjNicole 4:17 PM - 21 May, 2014
That's one thing that DJ's who use laptops have to worry about. I remember when I was using CD based systems back in the day and you just had to worry about burning the CD right and that it didn't get stuck in the tray. It was actually my biggest concern to switch over to laptop because I knew despite how perfect it may be there is always chance for fault. Viruses, program crashes, and that damn spinning wheel of death (for Macs any who). A tip for vinyl DJs, keep some spare "real" vinyl that you can play on your phono channel in case Serato freezes. I'm sure most people do this already, but if you didn't know, now you do. My boyfriend does this and it works just fine.
 6 5:57 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
How to optimize your PC.

1. Throw PC in trash

and why in the world would you want to ruin a perfectly good trash can by doing that

Okay. You really made me lol!

hahaha

nm
Joee 6:13 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

hahaha

nm

one thing we can agree on ,is that mac are superior
Joee 6:14 PM - 21 May, 2014
i'm not messing up my $10 trash can like that, not me i'm sorry but i like my trash can
DJ Reflex 1:44 AM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha

nm

one thing we can agree on ,is that mac are superior

Ha! I had nothing but problems when I first got my Mac. It does video way better, but I never had ANY crashes on my cheap 2009 Dell PC... ever! Get a Mac and -bam- two crashes in a week and some very unpredictable behavior. Got it all straightened out now, but Mac's are very fussy about Serato. One thing off kilter and the who systems goes out of whack!

When they work, they work well I might add.
pdidy 2:30 AM - 22 May, 2014
While I am pro Mac in regards to Serato only, it's always fun shitting on pc's but let's not form that debate here and loose focus.
DJ Reflex 3:39 AM - 22 May, 2014
The more I use it (Mac) the more I understand it. The crashes have been because of filing and tagging errors. A buddy of mine said he just had SDJ crash last week. I looked at his machine... Full of corrupt files!
 6 4:27 PM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
The more I use it (Mac) the more I understand it. The crashes have been because of filing and tagging errors. A buddy of mine said he just had SDJ crash last week. I looked at his machine... Full of corrupt files!

Well, that's the best way to crash Serato (SSL or DJ)

nm
pdidy 5:28 AM - 9 September, 2014
Being that sdj 1.7 just went final, I think this would be a good time to Bump this thread ;)

I sure there will be a a lot of users crying foul because they did not follow these rule....
pdidy 5:29 AM - 9 September, 2014
^^^ this weekend.
DJ DisGrace 1:24 PM - 9 September, 2014
This thread makes a fine addition: serato.com
Joee 1:33 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Being that sdj 1.7 just went final, I think this would be a good time to Bump this thread ;)

I sure there will be a a lot of users crying foul because they did not follow these rule....

you know i started to upgrade, but than i said to myself why? i'm not having any issues!

Quote:

lol
JDforKing 1:57 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

you know i started to upgrade, but than i said to myself why? i'm not having any issues!

Quote:

lol

Joee, i'm using 1.7 and it works well with my pioneer ddj sx. You should give it a try.
Joee 1:59 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Joee, i'm using 1.7 and it works well with my pioneer ddj sx. You should give it a try.

i will but i'm gonna give it some time as 1.6.1 is working well for me lets be extra sure all is well, but thing are looking good i see a lot of people saying it's working good
dj_double_s 3:17 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I stopped using externals a few yrs ago just because a dj barely nudged my external and it disconnected. Turned out I needed a new cable but I never felt safe again so its strictly internal for me. Im killin every possible risk...lol

My only crash experiences in using SSL have come from externals. Last time, DJ showed up with a no name beat up external and wanted to plug into my Mac. If I wasn't busy mixing, then talking to the club owner I woulda thought twice about letting him do that.

Long story short, saw the crash dump show up on screen, knew the music would cut. Grabbed a mic and some vinyl and recovered quick. Told the other DJ make the most out of my library cause that external isn't getting near my Mac again!
pdidy 4:21 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:

yep i posted it there early.....lol
pdidy 4:43 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My only crash experiences in using SSL have come from externals. Last time, DJ showed up with a no name beat up external and wanted to plug into my Mac. If I wasn't busy mixing, then talking to the club owner I woulda thought twice about letting him do that.

Long story short, saw the crash dump show up on screen, knew the music would cut. Grabbed a mic and some vinyl and recovered quick. Told the other DJ make the most out of my library cause that external isn't getting near my Mac again!

with the addition of the rane 62's 2 laptop feature, that's one "land mine" i seldom have to deal with. you saw the issue coming and recovered properly so thats all thats important But you used that and learned from it. thats what this thread is all about....
dj_double_s 5:25 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
you saw the issue coming and recovered properly so thats all thats important But you used that and learned from it. thats what this thread is all about....

Laugh if you will at my analogy, but digital DJing is like flying a plane. You have to be aware of all possible failure points and have escape plans.

Never had to use this one, but my last resort is 3 all purpose mixes on my iphone at all times.
Papa Midnight 6:32 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm willing to bet that this wasn't so much of a problem with the external drive as it was with Serato's long standing problem with large libraries (that a lot of SSL users seem to be in denial about) which was recently... helped with Serato DJ 1.7.
dj_double_s 7:25 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:

I'm willing to bet that this wasn't so much of a problem with the external drive as it was with Serato's long standing problem with large libraries (that a lot of SSL users seem to be in denial about) which was recently... helped with Serato DJ 1.7.

^^^ Valid theory
pdidy 7:31 PM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

^^^ Valid theory

Quite possible, I would not argue that.
Joee 7:42 PM - 9 September, 2014
i think it might be a file path issue my serato folder is id 130mb or bigger over 300 crates on a 4tb drive almost full videos/audio, i've never had one single issue
Papa Midnight 7:49 PM - 9 September, 2014
A lot of people reached the threshold for the crash point with libraries of sizes with extreme variance - even those with libraries as large as your own. It didn't necessarily have anything to do with the size of the files themselves really, but file paths did play a part in it (remember, a file's full name is it's actual name and extension, including it's total file path -- so a file named "a.txt" located in "/mnt/var/usr/home/documents/textfies/" is really "/mnt/var/usr/home/documents/textfies/a.txt" from a file system standpoint).

Read here for more information: serato.com
mister_wilson 2:43 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:

smartest thing i have read in this post. i have never seen either SSL or SDJ do a freak crash after a reboot and opening the program freshly. I will say this, SDJ crashes way more frequently when you leave it running at the house, slap the laptop closed, run to the gig and then try to plug up and start playing. I don't always fully reboot my computer because, sometimes, I don't have time and there are bigger issues to resolve before i need to have music going, but I always quit SSL or SDJ prior to a live gig and re-launch the software at a minimum. I think this alone would reduce the reported "crashes" by a factor of 10 or more. Also, I think the real reason the reboot of the computer is effective is that it insures other programs that could be CPU hogs are not running in the background.

I cannot think of one time where I have crashed either a vetted* version of SSL or SDJ by following these steps above and keeping corrupt files out of my library.

I usually wait about two to four weeks to update any critical software that is coming out of beta (iOS, MacOS, Serato, etc.) to see how things work with a larger set of folks. That extra time is usually long enough for a big issue to emerge and at least get reported and acknowledged. When I had two macbooks, I would usually update on one and test it our for a few weeks before I would update on the workhorse laptop that leaves the house.
pdidy 3:36 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
I cannot think of one time where I have crashed either a vetted* version of SSL or SDJ by following these steps above and keeping corrupt files out of my library.

I to have never crashed a vetted aka "well tested over a long period of time" version of serato.

Quote:
I usually wait about two to four weeks to update any critical software that is coming out of beta (iOS, MacOS, Serato, etc.) to see how things work with a larger set of folks. That extra time is usually long enough for a big issue to emerge and at least get reported and acknowledged.

I've been preachin this for years but still they dont listen.......I guess its easier to blame serato.
popnwave 6:11 AM - 1 October, 2014
It's scary to think but when I finally moved from my Pioneer DVJ-1000s to SSL in 2011 or so, I did 1-2 nights per week and the ONLY time I almost pooped my pants was when I got smart and tried to DOWNLOAD a video and add it to the library during a gig.

The music kept going but everything locked when I loaded it into a deck, lol. Then a few seconds later all resumed. Never did that shit again and at at least 70 gigs per year SSL and now SDJ never crapped out on me.

This includes my migration from a 2009 MBP to my currently used 2012 MBP.
pdidy 10:42 AM - 10 November, 2014
it that time of the year again when all the amateur djs fuckup their macs with the new updates.....smh

serato.com

serato.com
pdidy 10:53 AM - 10 November, 2014
Papa Midnight 4:53 PM - 13 November, 2014
If you think it's bad now, pdidy, wait till some people with third-party SSDs update to Yosemite and learn that the latest version (to current date) of OS X breaks support for them, and render's them unbootable (Apple has enabled Kext Signing, something similar to Microsoft's Driver Signing).

www.zdnet.com
pdidy 5:36 PM - 13 November, 2014
thanks i didnt know about this....
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:23 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
If you think it's bad now, pdidy, wait till some people with third-party SSDs update to Yosemite and learn that the latest version (to current date) of OS X breaks support for them, and render's them unbootable (Apple has enabled Kext Signing, something similar to Microsoft's Driver Signing).

www.zdnet.com

8|
DeeJay*CASPER 10:01 PM - 13 November, 2014
I'm really one of the lucky ones........I've never had a hard drive crash, serato crash, or anything critical ever.

I did have two incidents, one time the laptop seemed to have gone to sleep or something weird while I was djing because the screen went black and the music stopped then came back on where it left off about 20 seconds later.....(shrugs).

then once when i first got serato I watched the waveform and mp3 disappear as it was playing live.......never seen that again though. .....Once again (shrugs)
d:raf 12:10 AM - 14 November, 2014
I've crashed a handful of times live with Serato products over the past 10 years:

• 2 were due to USB issues; either a bad cord or someone jostled mine while hooking up their own stuff; it always happened before I actually started playing though and was remedied easily with a new cord (I carry several with me) or a pre-set reboot,

• Once someone yanked my external HD off the table by yanking the power strip it was connected to (killed the HD too; that story's archived on this board somewhere),

• Twice from attempting to eject CDs that rappers gave me with their instrumental tracks on them (known issue, but semi-unavoidable since they didn't have any other medium to give me despite my pleas for everyone to get them to me before their performance),

• Once when a dude straight up unplugged my controller mid-set while he was trying to set up his own.
pdidy 2:06 AM - 14 November, 2014
@ d:raf , ALL those are excusable and don't really qualify as negligent but more like "Shit that happens".....lol

I've had them all including the using a cd at a live performance for a singer in serato which crashed but that was prior to it being a known issue.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:33 AM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
despite my pleas for everyone to get them to me before their performance),

lol... I thought i was the only one.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:08 AM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:

• Twice from attempting to eject CDs that rappers gave me with their instrumental tracks on them (known issue, but semi-unavoidable since they didn't have any other medium to give me despite my pleas for everyone to get them to me before their performance),

90% of my crashes were because of this, I dont give cds back now
Papa Midnight 5:44 AM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Nothing like professional artist coming up to you with CDs that sound like 128kb/s MP3s...

Also, it's all fun and games till you're doing Step Shows for colleges, and each organization has their stuff on a CD that has been scratched to utter hell, despite you specifying to the Universit(y/ies) that you needed USB sticks days ago. Also, some of them have been recorded by (quite literally) sticking a microphone next to a boombox or computer speakers.

Holy crap...
DJ Remix Detroit 2:00 PM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nothing like professional artist coming up to you with CDs that sound like 128kb/s MP3s...

Also, it's all fun and games till you're doing Step Shows for colleges, and each organization has their stuff on a CD that has been scratched to utter hell, despite you specifying to the Universit(y/ies) that you needed USB sticks days ago. Also, some of them have been recorded by (quite literally) sticking a microphone next to a boombox or computer speakers.

Holy crap...

One of the biggest reasons i stopped doing rap shows and opening for rap artists... i'd request proper tracks in specific formats weeks before the event... their road manager rolls up to me 5 mins before showtime with a cd or a thumb drive that has 2.3MB sized mp3 files that haven't been analyzed in SSL.....smdh .... but let me not have something listed on their rider, and they are throwing a hissy fit like a 2 yr old.

smh... i don't miss that shit at all.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:35 PM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Holy crap...

One of the biggest reasons i stopped doing rap shows and opening for rap artists... i'd request proper tracks in specific formats weeks before the event... their road manager rolls up to me 5 mins before showtime with a cd or a thumb drive that has 2.3MB sized mp3 files that haven't been analyzed in SSL.....smdh .... but let me not have something listed on their rider, and they are throwing a hissy fit like a 2 yr old.

Same here, best part is the tracks are all titled track 1 track 2 track 3, then the "artist" tells you they want to do track 1 first, you drop track 1 and from the stage you hear "wait, no thats not it, try track 2, no....its 3, try track 3"
Papa Midnight 9:22 PM - 14 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Holy crap...

Same here, best part is the tracks are all titled track 1 track 2 track 3, then the "artist" tells you they want to do track 1 first, you drop track 1 and from the stage you hear "wait, no thats not it, try track 2, no....its 3, try track 3"

Truth. But wait, now they're trying to shout cues from the stage. "START HERE!", "STOP HERE!"
DJ Reflex 8:24 AM - 15 November, 2014
^^^ All this! LOL ^^^
DJ Reflex 8:28 AM - 15 November, 2014
I don't know how we got off topic and started bitching about rap shows and their antics, but I have had a few glitches due to shady MP3 files. A guy gave me a USB stick once with his song on it in some weird format that I've never seen before. "Oh well, I thought, I'll let Serato have a look." Bad idea. The song was some poorly encoded data file for a demo version of some music program like ACID DJ or something. Threw Scratch Live for a loop that's for sure. I just gave the flash drive back to him and said - nope!
Davideon 10:08 AM - 15 November, 2014
Quote:
it that time of the year again when all the amateur djs fuckup their macs with the new updates.....smh

serato.com

serato.com

The British have a word for such people. It begins with Fuck and ends in Tards
 6 5:44 PM - 15 November, 2014
FuckBritishTards.

Catchy.

nm
DJ Tecniq 5:47 PM - 15 November, 2014
"If your crashing at live gigs its Serato DJ" should be the title😂👌
pdidy 5:59 PM - 15 November, 2014
Quote:

And I quote....
"DJ Techniq is a Troll. He just his butt hurt about serato dj and has been on a rampage slamming serato dj in anyway he can with clueless statements. And hasnt even opened a support ticket!"

you've already been called out on this, you must be a gluten for punishment .......lol
DJ Tecniq 6:01 PM - 15 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

And I quote....
"DJ Techniq is a Troll. He just his butt hurt about serato dj and has been on a rampage slamming serato dj in anyway he can with clueless statements. And hasnt even opened a support ticket!"

you've already been called out on this, you must be a gluten for punishment .......lol
I never met such a fanboy of serato Dj in my entire life that shit sux dude. I see why you use it😮
pdidy 6:10 PM - 15 November, 2014
You were given the name "NO CRED" for a reason, you thought we forgot ?
DJ Tecniq 7:19 PM - 15 November, 2014
Quote:
You were given the name "NO CRED" for a reason, you thought we forgot ?
good comeback👍
 6 7:45 PM - 15 November, 2014
No Cred is actually Johnny M

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:55 PM - 15 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

And I quote....

LINK TO OP?!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:55 PM - 15 November, 2014
Quote:
No Cred is actually Johnny M

nm

NeitherCred
DJ Tecniq 11:10 PM - 15 November, 2014
Name me some famous dj's that use serato dj right now.... point proven :I
pdidy 12:40 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:

It doesn't matter what YOU think......... because you have no credibility.

I personally recommend you make up an alter ego and change your name if you now want to be taken seriously.
monchi 12:50 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:

Jazzy Jeff. He been on ot since first Beta came out.
Joee 1:31 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I personally recommend you make up an alter ego and change your name if you now want to be taken seriously.

you mean like The_Black_One changed his name to djattila ?

Quote:

BOOOOYAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

with a rane 62 & pioneer ddj sp1
DJ Tecniq 1:36 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Your one person i'd like to slap the shit out of. You never shut your mouth do you? E-gansta!!
DJ Tecniq 1:36 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Your one person i'd like to slap the shit out of. You never shut your mouth do you? E-gangsta!!
pdidy 1:36 AM - 16 November, 2014
"you mean like The_Black_One changed his name to djattila ?"

Exactly, I wast sure you knew that was him.....lol
DJ Tecniq 1:38 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

If I get contacted back by red bull thre3style I'll have all the credibility i need so we'll see.
DJ Tecniq 1:39 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

you mean like The_Black_One changed his name to djattila ?

Quote:

BOOOOYAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

with a rane 62 & pioneer ddj sp1
Video?
Joee 1:40 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Video?

don't slap me when i post a link!!!!!!
Joee 1:41 AM - 16 November, 2014
& 1 & 2 & 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---> Watchvimeo.com
DJ Tecniq 1:47 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
& 1 & 2 & 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---> Watchvimeo.com
I've watched this whole video already where does it show he's using serato dj? Also during his performance he gets a crazy fucking drop out mid set. Could of been a corrupt mp3 though but i remember hearing it.
Joee 1:53 AM - 16 November, 2014
52 seconds in---> Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 1:59 AM - 16 November, 2014
listen at 8:17 in for the dropout. I actually think it was a bad mp3 from a file sharing service cause i remember downloading that track and it having that glitch. a haha Watchvimeo.com
DJ Tecniq 2:01 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
52 seconds in---> Watchwww.youtube.com
ok that's def serato dj then.
Joee 2:03 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
listen at 8:17 in for the dropout. I actually think it was a bad mp3 from a file sharing service cause i remember downloading that track and it having that glitch. a haha Watchvimeo.com

i'm one of the dj's thats never had one single issue with sdj since 1.3, but i heard what you were talking about @8:13
 6 2:04 AM - 16 November, 2014
I've had issues with Serato DJ and unfortunately, I can use SSL. No crashes yet though but definitely some bugs that have caused me to restart the program which in itself isn't a good thing.

nm
DJ Tecniq 2:06 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
I've had issues with Serato DJ and unfortunately, I can use SSL. No crashes yet though but definitely some bugs that have caused me to restart the program which in itself isn't a good thing.

nm
boom! thank you
DJ Tecniq 2:10 AM - 16 November, 2014
I hate ppl who try to claim serato dj is perfect...ummm it's not and won't be for awhile. Tough nuggets.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:10 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm
boom! thank you

Im with dj techniq on this one. I just bought an akai amx and hopped on SDJ for the first time. Nothing but usb drop outs and popping. But SSL runs perfectly fine on the same computer with absolutely 0 issues.

So its definately SDJ Being a rushed half assed product.
DJ Tecniq 2:14 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm
boom! thank you

Im with dj techniq on this one. I just bought an akai amx and hopped on SDJ for the first time. Nothing but usb drop outs and popping. But SSL runs perfectly fine on the same computer with absolutely 0 issues.

Doesn't surprise me are u on mac though? The real test for me will be when my friend gets a brand new mac and we'll see how well it performs besides scratch live. If one drop out occurs i'm going to just call it a shit product. hate me!
DJ Remix Detroit 2:17 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm
boom! thank you

Doesn't surprise me are u on mac though? The real test for me will be when my friend gets a brand new mac and we'll see how well it performs besides scratch live. If one drop out occurs i'm going to just call it a shit product. hate me!

Yup. Early 2011 17" mbp 16gb ram. 240gb ssd/ 1tb hdd in the optical bay.
Joee 2:18 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
I hate ppl who try to claim serato dj is perfect...ummm it's not and won't be for awhile. Tough nuggets.

it's been perfect for me, music & videos with serato video
DJ Tecniq 2:19 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm
boom! thank you

Yup. Early 2011 17" mbp 16gb ram. 240gb ssd/ 1tb hdd in the optical bay.
Mavericks?
DJ Remix Detroit 2:23 AM - 16 November, 2014
Both mavericks and yosemite, fresh installs with nothing else running at all. The only thing i havent tried is mountain lion and lion.
Joee 2:31 AM - 16 November, 2014
have you guys done a rescan of all your files? make sure any corrupted file is gone!

i can cause serato dj to crash at will if i play certain files even files that don't show as corrupted …..back when i first tried sertao dj (at home not live) all the videos i got for the lationos unidos record pool would crash serato dj faithfully …..i re encoded the videos with the hand break preset and it solved the issue….i know re encoding videos is not the best thing to do but i solved my problems
Joee 2:33 AM - 16 November, 2014
^ those videos did not show as corrupted…..but i realized they were the problem
DJ Remix Detroit 2:36 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
have you guys done a rescan of all your files? make sure any corrupted file is gone!

i can cause serato dj to crash at will if i play certain files even files that don't show as corrupted …..back when i first tried sertao dj (at home not live) all the videos i got for the lationos unidos record pool would crash serato dj faithfully …..i re encoded the videos with the hand break preset and it solved the issue….i know re encoding videos is not the best thing to do but i solved my problems

I understand what you are saying. But if SSL didnt have issues with these files, why arent they implementing the same standards in SDJ? Kinda like the issue with the deep file locations. It seems retarded to change a bunch of protocols that have been rock solid for 10yrs. Like the saying goes: if it aint broke, dont fix it.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:38 AM - 16 November, 2014
It would be nice to have an explanation of the differences and why the solid features cant just be transferred/ duplicated to SDJ.
DJ Reflex 2:39 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
It would be nice to have an explanation of the differences and why the solid features cant just be transferred/ duplicated to SDJ.

YES!!! Wondered the same thing since the concept of SDJ.
pdidy 2:48 AM - 16 November, 2014
You earned the name NO CRED because you have a bad habit of talking about things you know nothing about. For example, this thread has nothing to do with what you're talking about but you are totally unaware of that. I could have warned you earlier but I figured it would be best to let you do what you normally do and leave no doubt.

Even though I've warned you I'm sure you won't figure out what I'm talking about.

Carry on sir :)
DJ Remix Detroit 3:02 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
You earned the name NO CRED because you have a bad habit of talking about things you know nothing about. For example, this thread has nothing to do with what you're talking about but you are totally unaware of that. I could have warned you earlier but I figured it would be best to let you do what you normally do and leave no doubt.

Even though I've warned you I'm sure you won't figure out what I'm talking about.

That may be true, but DJ Tecniq still has a very valid point.

Regardless of operating system, for the most part SDJ is garbage, and Serato knows it. Its evident that they were lacking in the 'funds' department and had to 'hurry up' and rush somthing out to get that quick cash flow.

It makes absolutely no sense for SSL to be working perfectly on a high spec'd mbp, and then use SDJ to do the exact same thing and there are huge problems left and right.

Serato put quantity over quality and dropped the ball big time, and instead of doing right by their customers, they are going to continue to push SDJ and let you guys be the guinea pigs.

I dont know about you guys, but if im going to be testing a company's software for them, they need to be cutting me a check.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:17 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:

And that also goes to show SDJ is , in fact garbage, because everything worked perfectly in SSL; you had to completely modify your library just so SDJ could work the way it is supposed to.

Serato should have made sure SDJ was performing up to SSL standards before it was released, and they failed to do so, because money became a priority over quality.

Stevie wonder could see that.
DJ Tecniq 3:21 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

And that also goes to show SDJ is , in fact garbage, because everything worked perfectly in SSL; you had to completely modify your library just so SDJ could work the way it is supposed to.

Serato should have made sure SDJ was performing up to SSL standards before it was released, and they failed to do so, because money became a priority over quality.

Stevie wonder could see that.
Give this man a plaque! Out of all the dj's I know that are turntable dj's they ain't rocking serato dj buddy it is not up to par yet. Believe that!
DJ Remix Detroit 3:21 AM - 16 November, 2014
Ever since Serato put Erykah Badu as a 'Serato Icon', I knew shit was going downhill fast....lol
DJ Tecniq 3:25 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:

Talking about things I know nothing about? Who are you to say that. I've been dj'ing well over 13 yrs now and have preached Serato and put a lot of my hard earned money into Serato for their products. I don't give a damn if this thread has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. The fact is it DOES! and truth be told Serato DJ is NOT a tank yet so please don't put it on a pedestal. All I'm trying to say but hate all you want i really could care less. Keep rocking what u rock and i'll use what works for me. You have a lot of hate in you. Relax!!
DJ Tecniq 3:28 AM - 16 November, 2014
What I do is put ppl in their place who preach about a product that has a ton of flaws! You can deny it all you want but SDJ is garbage and most real dj's would agree. But keep hyping it up like it's the hottest thing on the block :)
pdidy 3:32 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:

I know you well.....lol
DJ Tecniq 3:36 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I know you well.....lol
You quoted yourself cool lol. nocred out!
DJ DisGrace 3:37 AM - 16 November, 2014
LOL

The whole point of this thread is that people should not be using new versions of software and expect results in a performance situation. What exactly are you arguing here, Tecniq?
DJ Tecniq 3:39 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
LOL

The whole point of this thread is that people should not be using new versions of software and expect results in a performance situation. What exactly are you arguing here, Tecniq?
lol..i have no idea he started blabbing about serato dj and all i said was it's not anything close to scratch live. Then all hell broke loose. I think he's flirting with me i have no fucking clue...
pdidy 3:59 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
LOL

now why you had too go and tell him, he would've never figured that shit out.....lol
 6 4:03 AM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
LOL

Unfortunately, regardless of what version of software you use (supported or not) SDJ isnt as stable as it should be.

nm
Papa Midnight 5:15 AM - 16 November, 2014
...untracking.
Mr. Goodkat 10:14 AM - 16 November, 2014
sdj has one big problem. it doesnt work as good as ssl.

what was the biggest debacle in ssl? 2.0? i remember staying with 1.92 for a while? 2.2? i forget.
Joee 1:51 PM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:

i actually had a similar problem when i hoped on the rane 62, i had no choice but to stop using 1.9.2 and upgrade to the newer version that supported the 62 & i had the same issue with certain videos from the same LU record pool
Quote:
Ever since Serato put Erykah Badu as a 'Serato Icon', I knew shit was going downhill fast....lol

LOL……...
popnwave 4:58 PM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
LOL

lol..i have no idea he started blabbing about serato dj and all i said was it's not anything close to scratch live. Then all hell broke loose. I think he's flirting with me i have no fucking clue...

Oh sweet jesus. Just use what works for you. No like anyone in citrus, pasco or hernando county cares.
DJ Tecniq 6:07 PM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LOL

Oh sweet jesus. Just use what works for you. No like anyone in citrus, pasco or hernando county cares.
or any county for that matter. Why bring Florida into this? Lol
pdidy 12:53 AM - 18 November, 2014
@ DJ Remix Detroit., AMX & AFX - DJ Techtools review 3:16 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
well, i found the solution to my problem, Mavericks and Yosemite weren't doing the trick so I jumped back to Mountain Lion, and wa-la... dropouts gone (except for the initial dropout that happened when i activated the DVS Expansion Pack): serato.com

but again SSL is rock solid with anything I throw at it.... oh well. I got my AMX working and I'm off to GC to grab 2 AFX's.

Dammit, im too late...

I was about to start preachin to you about all the bitchin an complainin without being PROACTIVE in attacking the issue in order to resolve it.

Well clearly you were testing for a solution rather that sitting back playing and accepting the victim role.

That has a lot to do with what this thread is REALLY about.....
DJ Remix Detroit 1:34 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
@ DJ Remix Detroit., AMX & AFX - DJ Techtools review 3:16 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
well, i found the solution to my problem, Mavericks and Yosemite weren't doing the trick so I jumped back to Mountain Lion, and wa-la... dropouts gone (except for the initial dropout that happened when i activated the DVS Expansion Pack): serato.com

but again SSL is rock solid with anything I throw at it.... oh well. I got my AMX working and I'm off to GC to grab 2 AFX's.

Dammit, im too late...

I was about to start preachin to you about all the bitchin an complainin without being PROACTIVE in attacking the issue in order to resolve it.

Well clearly you were testing for a solution rather that sitting back playing and accepting the victim role.

That has a lot to do with what this thread is REALLY about.....

lol... no doubt.

Quote:
all the bitchin an complainin

seriously though, is it too much to ask for SDJ to be as stable as SSL???...lol

All these years of just plugging stuff up and it working the way it's supposed to has gotten me spoiled.
pdidy 1:51 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:

All these years of just plugging stuff up and it working the way it's supposed to has gotten me spoiled.

Due to the fact that sdj is more resource intensive ive accepted the fact that it will take some time before serato can make it as lite and efficient as scratchlive. I would imagine its not an easy thing to do....
Mr. Goodkat 2:18 AM - 18 November, 2014
plus with ssl, mac wasnt updating os every 6 months and there were only the boxes and mixer, not a ton of controllers and new OS's poppin up .

os changes from apple from apr 2005(bulk of SSL) went (tiger 10.4) to july 2012(mountain lion 10.8) . Between .4 and .6 there were 4 years.

SDJ has sent 3 apple os changes in the last 2 years.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:24 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Due to the fact that sdj is more resource intensive ive accepted the fact that it will take some time before serato can make it as lite and efficient as scratchlive. I would imagine its not an easy thing to do....

well, i think they have done it.... i just played around for over an hour on the new beta, with PnT enabled and buffer on 1 with full screen refresh rate.... not one usb drop out at all. Everything ran rock solid. Not one hiccup at all.
pdidy 2:35 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
well, i think they have done it.... i just played around for over an hour on the new beta, with PnT enabled and buffer on 1 with full screen refresh rate.... not one usb drop out at all. Everything ran rock solid. Not one hiccup at all.

well that freakin impressive considering where you came from a day ago..
 6 4:29 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Forget light and efficient... we need it to be bug free!

nm
 6 4:30 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
plus with ssl, mac wasnt updating os every 6 months and there were only the boxes and mixer, not a ton of controllers and new OS's poppin up .

os changes from apple from apr 2005(bulk of SSL) went (tiger 10.4) to july 2012(mountain lion 10.8) . Between .4 and .6 there were 4 years.

SDJ has sent 3 apple os changes in the last 2 years.

That's a good "excuse" .... but not really when you consider that it hasn't worked proper with any version of OSX

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:55 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Talking about things I know nothing about? Who are you to say that. I've been dj'ing well over 13 yrs now!!

Yup......remember that time I whooped your ass in that battle.....good times
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:56 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:

Yup, which is unforgivable since it has half the features
Mr. Goodkat 6:00 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, which is unforgivable since it has half the features

and ssl doesn't have half the features of sdj?
DJ Tecniq 6:28 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Talking about things I know nothing about? Who are you to say that. I've been dj'ing well over 13 yrs now!!

I never battled you M-Bezzle are you drunk again?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:33 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not how I remember it.
DJ Tecniq 6:52 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not how I remember it.
uhhh link?
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:29 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not how I remember it.
uhhh link?

serato.com

whatchthoughtiforgot
DJ Tecniq 3:02 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not how I remember it.
uhhh link?

serato.com

whatchthoughtiforgot
too funny that was forever ago and we never even battled😢
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:16 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not how I remember it.
uhhh link?

serato.com

whatchthoughtiforgot
too funny that was forever ago and we never even battled😢

#nocred
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:19 PM - 18 November, 2014
serato.com

#additional reading
DJ Tecniq 5:54 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
serato.com

#additional reading
Cool man I'm gonna go spin and do something more with my time. Have fun on the forum😊
pdidy 10:43 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
serato.com

#additional reading
Cool man I'm gonna go spin and do something more with my time. Have fun on the forum😊

Ooooh so thats how you got ya name i1246.photobucket.com

yea now mite be a good time for you to leave....lol
DJ Tecniq 11:07 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
serato.com

#additional reading

Ooooh so thats how you got ya name i1246.photobucket.com

yea now mite be a good time for you to leave....lol
2014 and still using gif's? You're quite the popular one on the forum🙌😊
pdidy 9:42 PM - 24 November, 2015
Seems like a good time the Bump this.....lol
d:raf 10:15 PM - 24 November, 2015
Too bad it won't show up in the Serato DJ discussion area... that seems to be where the action is. lol

i.ytimg.com
pdidy 10:35 PM - 24 November, 2015
Quote:
Too bad it won't show up in the Serato DJ discussion area... that seems to be where the action is. lol

i.ytimg.com

True.
pdidy 6:37 AM - 21 December, 2015
dj.rane.com

That was a very interesting thread, especially this part.......

Zach Stone 8:50:14 - 17 Thursday 2015
"I’m not sure how much help complaining to Apple will do:(
I think the better, less stressful, less time consuming approach would be to downgrade your OS or create a partition as I have suggested.

From a DJ/producer to another fellow DJ I would highly suggest never updating to the latest OS or even music software unless you either have to or there is a really compelling reason for it.
All three of us in Rane’s support are working DJs and its a rule of thumb for us that we always stay one OS behind the latest to avoid all of this. The shiny bling is rarely worth the headache.
Its the best approach given these crazy times of new technology.

Creating a partition on your drive and keeping your music stuff separate from your day to day stuff is a great way to go anyways."

Zach Stone 10:08:31 - 18 Friday 2015
I’ve been doing this job for the past 10 years and I’ve seen many operating systems come and go. Every single time there are growing pains that effect a persons workflow. Whether its hardware, software, drivers, etc. from whatever manufacturer or software developer. Its always a headache.
Because of this I always stay well behind any new operating systems, and even software versions, that come out on my personal setup. Its simply a smarter way to go given the way Apple is throwing out new operating systems every 18 months and making it next to impossible for the average computer user to locate and roll back to a previous one.
Unless there is a absolute need to update why do it if it could potentially land you on an Ableton, Apple, Serato, Traktor, Apple, or Rane forum having to complain about it?
I completely understand the frustration here. We all would like the latest and greatest working from the get go. Its just not the reality we’re living in. Fortunately there is the safe guard of using an older, stable, system."

I've been preaching this for years.......

But I admit Im a lil surprised Zach had the 4.bp.blogspot.com too say it.
DJMark 7:17 AM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
From a DJ/producer to another fellow DJ I would highly suggest never updating to the latest OS or even music software unless you either have to or there is a really compelling reason for it.

This has been conventional wisdom for anyone using audio software for professional purposes for the last 25+ years.

A lot of Sound Tools users experienced great pain and suffering in the early days of "System 7"...and that was in an era when operating systems were much less complicated than they are today.

At the very least, no one depending on a computer for "professional" purposes (as in, you're making money from it) should be doing any operating system update without first creating a bootable backup.
popnwave 6:26 PM - 21 December, 2015
But but but but.. what I want to know is WHAT El Cap offers that DJs need so much? A new font for the system? I mean COME on, it's like digital darwinism and at this point, with numerous threads and conversations on the subject saying to avoid it, people are STILL crying about it.

I mean I can sympathize with someone upgrading a PC from Win7 to 10 because of the HUGE interface changes and modernizing their rig, but Yosemite isn't even that old!

OS X users should be smarter, and djs/producers another step above that.
AKIEM 7:32 PM - 21 December, 2015
Yosemite FTW!
 6 7:33 PM - 21 December, 2015
You guys are forgetting that some people are starting to DJ with El Capitan as their first computer system or some are forced to upgrade when an older computer fails.

Obviously, not always the case but just throwing it out there.

nm
Joee 7:36 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Yosemite FTW!

so yosemite is cool? i'm still on lion & mountain lion
AKIEM 7:50 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Yosemite FTW!

so yosemite is cool? i'm still on lion & mountain lion

Came installed, and have had no problem outside of getting my second internal drive sorted.

Personally I never upgrade the OS unless there are specific articulatable improvements in performance or more usually needed software features. If I can, I will skip an OS easy.
popnwave 7:53 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
You guys are forgetting that some people are starting to DJ with El Capitan as their first computer system or some are forced to upgrade when an older computer fails.

nm

Ayyyye I'd like a poll of the ballers that got a nice spanking new MacBook Pro vs the chumps who upgraded. I think the percentage of new owners isn't that high.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:32 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Ayyyye I'd like a poll of the ballers that got a nice spanking new MacBook Pro vs the chumps who upgraded. I think the percentage of new owners isn't that high.

This is actually one of the things preventing me from buying a new laptop, that and inability to put a ssd in the optical bay
pdidy 8:52 PM - 21 December, 2015
Zach Stone 8:32:28 - 21 Monday 2015

"Rane takes great pride in the gear we provide and always will.
That does not take away the fact that EVERY time a new OS comes out there are issues with it.
Whether it be hardware, drivers, software, from your printer, to your anti virus software, to issues with the specific processor when couples with specific hardware.
We live in a time where hardware and software manufacturers have NEVER and will NEVER be ahead of the curve.
NEVER update to the latest operating system. That simply isn’t the best way forward.
I’m not just saying this because Rane devices don’t work yet. I’m saying that as a professional who’s worked in this industry for 10 years and as someone who has seen new operating systems and the issues that come with it time and time again.
I never update to the latest OS because I know better. I’m sharing this knowledge with you.
Incompatibilities always happens with a new OS and hardware/software. Nothing is going to ever change that. You can complain about it every 18 months or you can do what I and all of my DJ/producer friends do which is to stay back one OS from the latest. "
Mr. Goodkat 8:55 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

This is actually one of the things preventing me from buying a new laptop, that and inability to put a ssd in the optical bay

get a 2013 and upgrade yourself.

but yeah, you gotta think people lose/break/get stolen laptops regularly, as well as just buying a new laptop. 2 outta the 4 laptops ive bought were due to major computer issues and i just had to buy what was in the store.
DJMark 9:10 PM - 21 December, 2015
Fortunately there's plenty of MacBook Pro's in the "refurb" area of the Apple Store that are capable of running Yosemite or earlier.

Actually I'm pretty sure even the current model MPB's will still run Yosemite, since they were released before El Capitan came along.

I (not without regrets) gave up on the "drive in the optical bay" awhile back. The improved screens and improved performance on the newer MBP's at least helped make up for that.
AKIEM 9:16 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Fortunately there's plenty of MacBook Pro's in the "refurb" area of the Apple Store that are capable of running Yosemite or earlier.

Actually I'm pretty sure even the current model MPB's will still run Yosemite, since they were released before El Capitan came along.

I (not without regrets) gave up on the "drive in the optical bay" awhile back. The improved screens and improved performance on the newer MBP's at least helped make up for that.

Why did you give up on the second HD?

And do you cary an external, or what are you doing?
popnwave 9:20 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:

I'll probably upgrade my Mid 2012 when SDJ or ME start making it choke on 1080p stuff for now. Hopefully by then a nice top spec 2015 will be less than 2 months rent :D
DJMark 9:29 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:

External 2TB SSD (Samsung 850 pro) connected via Thunderbolt.

Performance (specifically, HD videos with some effects usage) is much better than my non-retina mid-2012 MBP, and I really like being able to have the 1920x1200 screen resolution (like I used to have on my old 17" MBP's).
AKIEM 9:31 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Performance (specifically, HD videos with some effects usage) is much better than my non-retina mid-2012 MBP, and I really like being able to have the 1920x1200 screen resolution (like I used to have on my old 17" MBP's).

Nice. Thanks.
 6 10:12 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

And this is another great reason to update to the newest (or a newer) computer. Performance.

I'm loving my new MBP so much so that my old MBP even with a secondary Internal Drive and an SSD just sits there unused.

nm
AKIEM 10:27 PM - 21 December, 2015
Just like I skipped the Rane 60 series and waited for the 57MKii, my plan is to skip these new MBPs, maybe they will go back to upgradable HD (doubtful tho)

I've got perfectly good mixers, and MBPs already just sitting...
Logisticalstyles 11:14 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:

get a 2013 and upgrade yourself.

That's what I did. My old one was 2010 15" with a 500 GB Solid State. It still runs Serato DJ and Scratch Live but now that I'm trying to do video I needed something stronger.

The old laptop is running Mountain Lion and the 2013 is on Mavericks. I'll probably never upgrade either OS.
pdidy 11:40 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:

Yep, there are always plenty of options so I never understood the claim that you don't have a choice. www.apple.com
 6 12:37 AM - 22 December, 2015
I'm sure it's very difficult to phantom someone not being in the position you are.

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:26 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, there are always plenty of options so I never understood the claim that you don't have a choice. www.apple.com

so your choiced are current, march 2015, may 2015, and july 2014..not much of a choice
popnwave 3:56 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so your choiced are current, march 2015, may 2015, and july 2014..not much of a choice

At least those fully loaded 2014s with the dedicated gfx cards are closer to $2k now. When I bought my Mid 2012 on launch day I was north of $3100 after taxes, on the maxed model, ouch.
pdidy 4:15 PM - 22 December, 2015
El capitan was preinstalled on all mac's sept 30, 2015

Therefore all macs in refurb store dated march 2015, may 2015, and july 2014 are all Yosemite capable. right ?

Can a Mac expert verify this ?
popnwave 4:22 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
El capitan was preinstalled on all mac's sept 30, 2015

Therefore all macs in refurb store dated march 2015, may 2015, and july 2014 are all Yosemite capable. right ?

Can a Mac expert verify this ?

Yep, Yosemite all has drivers for those. Any current refresh will need El Cap at this point.
pdidy 11:53 PM - 22 December, 2015
serato.com
Zach S 2:21 PM - 22 December, 2015
"Now I'm gonna say this.. and some of you probably aren't going to like it.. BUT it is a golden nugget of this industry that everyone should know. I know this through my 20 years experience using computers and music hardware and software made by hundreds of different companies and through my 10 years working for Rane as a product specialist.

Do not update to the latest OS unless there is a real need to do so. There will always be growing pains. Why go through them if you don't have to?
If updating to the latest OS was a good idea than I would be doing it too. Its simply not.
I am still using 10.9 because it does what I need it to do. I have no plans on updating until I have a reason to do so. It should never be expected that a new OS is going to work with your gear/software and if you do, than prepare to be disappointed. Hardware and software companies will NEVER be ahead of the curve on this. The next time it might be iTunes bricking your iPhone or your studio sound card not working.
I've said this long before El Capitan came out and I'll continue to say it every time a new OS comes out. Do yourself a favor and stay away from new operating systems.

Now.. solutions that will get you back up and running with your computer..

1. Downgrade the OS on your computer to Yosemite or Mavericks.
If this computer is primarily for DJing/Music and you just want a solid/stable system.

2. Create a partition on your hard drive and installing Yosemite or Mavericks on it.
This way you could keep your music stuff on the Yosemite/Mavericks side and your work/day-to-day stuff on the El Capitan side. Essentially putting two computers into one.
Here is a video on how to partition your drive --> Watchwww.youtube.com "

Zach S, Rane product specialist.
pdidy 12:03 AM - 23 December, 2015
A frequently asked question on dual boot set ups serato.com
pdidy 8:52 PM - 21 January, 2016
Rane El Capitan update info dj.rane.com
popnwave 10:12 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:

Apple has closed the bug for Rane’s TTM57mkII and MP2015 USB Audio 2.0 Class Compliant devices RADAR 23929871, and has reported that this issue is now fixed in the new El Capitan 10.11.4 Beta #1 build. Our testing here at Rane supports this claim and the asynchronous audio clock adaptation issue appears to be completely resolved in the 10.11.4 beta.

Wonder what the street date for that will be?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:45 AM - 22 January, 2016
Serato Scratch Live 1.9.2 and Windows XP FTW.
Joe Fresh 7:54 PM - 29 February, 2016
Serato DJ / Scratch Live and just about anything but El Capitan FTW (for now).
Gio Alex 8:15 PM - 29 February, 2016
Quote:
Serato Scratch Live 1.9.2 and Windows XP FTW.

LOL

2.5 on 10.9.5 for me. lol
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 1:45 AM - 1 March, 2016
I am upgrading from a 2009 MacBook to a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro. I need advice as to what version of Serato, and what MAC OS I should be using for rock solid performance. Also if there any other suggestions, that would be extremely helpful. I own a DDJ-SX and I still have my RANE SL3 box and would like to utilize my turntables on occasion.

Thank you in advance....
DJ Tecniq 2:22 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
I am upgrading from a 2009 MacBook to a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro. I need advice as to what version of Serato, and what MAC OS I should be using for rock solid performance. Also if there any other suggestions, that would be extremely helpful. I own a DDJ-SX and I still have my RANE SL3 box and would like to utilize my turntables on occasion.

Thank you in advance....
Stay away from El Capitan it currently does not support any of the Rane boxes at the moment. I'm using a Mid 2014 Macbook Pro purchased from Best Buy. Thankful it came installed with Yosemite.
pdidy 2:30 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:

Thank you in advance....

A Mid 2015 MacBook Pro will work great with Yosemite, just make sure its a CLEAN install of Yosemite and NOT upgraded to Yosemite.

Stay far away from EL capitan, DO NOT INSTALL IT FOR ANY REASON.

You should have no issue with the latest 1.8.1 version of serato dj serato.com just be sure to test thoroughly before preforming live. But if there is any issue there are many older stable versions to choose from here. serato.com

Your RANE SL3 box will work with both serato dj 1.8.1 OR Scratchlive 2.5 serato.com. My personal preference is Scratchlive 2.5 when I need "Rock solid" reliable performance using a RANE SL3 box & turntables but don't let that limit you from testing serato dj 1.8.1 with your sl3 box.

Your DDJ-SX is serato dj ONLY.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 2:44 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you in advance....

A Mid 2015 MacBook Pro will work great with Yosemite, just make sure its a CLEAN install of Yosemite and NOT upgraded to Yosemite.

Stay far away from EL capitan, DO NOT INSTALL IT FOR ANY REASON.

You should have no issue with the latest 1.8.1 version of serato dj serato.com just be sure to test thoroughly before preforming live. But if there is any issue there are many older stable versions to choose from here. serato.com

Your RANE SL3 box will work with both serato dj 1.8.1 OR Scratchlive 2.5 serato.com. My personal preference is Scratchlive 2.5 when I need "Rock solid" reliable performance using a RANE SL3 box & turntables but don't let that limit you from testing serato dj 1.8.1 with your sl3 box.

Your DDJ-SX is serato dj ONLY.

@pdidy: I haven't opened the MBP yet I wanted make sureI was setting everything up correctly. When I start it up and it has something other Yosemite is there a way I can work my way backwards?
pdidy 2:52 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:

@pdidy: I haven't opened the MBP yet I wanted make sureI was setting everything up correctly. When I start it up and it has something other Yosemite is there a way I can work my way backwards?

yes, no problem....... but we will address that IF it happens.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 2:55 AM - 1 March, 2016
Ok thank you again and if you ever visit DC I got your first round.
pdidy 3:00 AM - 1 March, 2016
Thanks, no problem....just stay in touch so we can walk you thru and get it done right the 1st time.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 3:01 AM - 1 March, 2016
Will do, starting tomorrow after work....
pdidy 3:04 AM - 1 March, 2016
"A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether."
Roy H. Williams

Ive been using this quote a lot lately....:)
Gio Alex 4:34 PM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
"A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether."
Roy H. Williams

Ive been using this quote a lot lately....:)

I don't even know that quote, but I live by this theory though.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 8:48 PM - 5 March, 2016
@pdidy I opened my MacBook Pro and to my surprise it had the nasty captain loaded already, what do I do to go backwards..
pdidy 9:33 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
@pdidy I opened my MacBook Pro and to my surprise it had the nasty captain loaded already, what do I do to go backwards..

1. if this is a new/refurb mac purchased from apple, make an appointment at your nearest apple genius bar and advise them you are using an app that requires Yosemite and you need them to downgrade your mac.

2. if this is a used mac just acquire a copy of Yosemite on a bootable flash and downgrade or Watchwww.youtube.com

Let me know what direction you're going.....
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 10:18 PM - 5 March, 2016
I will be going to the MAC store... Got in new from Best Buy. Thank u!
Gio Alex 10:47 PM - 5 March, 2016
If it's a brand new computer that was manufactured after El Capitan was released you CANNOT go back to an earlier OS. I repeat CANNOT. It's based on the firmware on the machine.
Joee 10:55 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
If it's a brand new computer that was manufactured after El Capitan was released you CANNOT go back to an earlier OS. I repeat CANNOT. It's based on the firmware on the machine.

what if you had an older operating system lets say mavericks installed on an external hard drive can you boot up off that?
Gio Alex 11:30 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

what if you had an older operating system lets say mavericks installed on an external hard drive can you boot up off that?

I don't think you can option boot from a previous operating system either. In fact, I'm almost certain you can't do that because it's still relying on the hardware of the new machine.
popnwave 1:21 AM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:

Most of the time yes, this is true, but El Cap came out AFTER the last refresh of hardware. Any 2015 MBP can be rolled back to Yosemite hardware wise. Once the next update to hardware comes out you will be stuck with El Cap or later.
Gio Alex 1:41 AM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Most of the time yes, this is true, but El Cap came out AFTER the last refresh of hardware. Any 2015 MBP can be rolled back to Yosemite hardware wise. Once the next update to hardware comes out you will be stuck with El Cap or later.

You are correct. This is also true, but to a certain extent as well. I believe they can still flash the bios on the current systems that they're selling. All though this does not occur often, It's been done before even without a new hardware release after the OS upgrade.

I always say that's why it's good to just download the upgrade without installing it so that you have the installer. Once they put up a new OS they remove the old one from the app store. Kind of annoying to be honest.
pdidy 1:45 AM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:

the op purchase a mid 2015 mbp which originally came with 10.10.3, apple then updated it to el capitan. Therefore it should be good for a role back to Yosemite.
Gio Alex 1:55 AM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

the op purchase a mid 2015 mbp which originally came with 10.10.3, apple then updated it to el capitan. Therefore it should be good for a role back to Yosemite.

This is correct. Thought they made a late 2015 mbp, that's why. Kind of surprised they skipped that. They skipped early 2016 as well. But Should* is the key word. lol
d:raf 6:00 PM - 8 March, 2016
He mad... at Pioneer.

producerdj.com

Quote:

#ILLHATES: An Open Letter to Pioneer On Behalf Of Serato Users
ill Gates / Blog / Mar 07, 2016

Dear Pioneer,

You won. You became the ‘industry standard’ brand. There is no escape. Congratulations.

As the ‘industry standard’ brand DJs around the world (myself included) are more or less forced to rely on the stability of your equipment every time they take the stage. Yes, we can bring our own sound cards, controllers, etc. but space in DJ booths is extremely limited and your brand dominates the space. Getting even a laptop in there can be a challenge, let alone a MIDI controller, Serato box, USB hub and whatever else is required to take our performance beyond the ‘push play’ cliché.

So we DJs adapted. We sucked it up. We sold our controllers. Many of us switched from Ableton and tried to adapt. Personally: I moved to using a hybrid Ableton / Serato / MixEmergency setup in order to provide an audio / video set with finger drumming and camera feeds. It wasn’t optimal, but it worked. For a while.
…until you threw us Serato Users under the bus.

Ever since OS X El Capitan you have been blaming Apple for shortcomings of your Serato side. I’ve been going back and forth with your “tech support” team for months. I’ve done everything you asked. I did all of the updates. I installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled every driver you asked me to. I learned to bring a network cable with me so I could update the firmware before every performance. I even REPLACED AN ENTIRE MACBOOK at my own expense when your “tech support” team blamed imaginary Apple hardware defects.
None of it worked.

Your “tech support” team has been blaming Serato, Apple, USB hubs, anyone but Pioneer. It has been MONTHS.

Today I finally sucked it up AGAIN. CDJs and the 900NXS do not work for Serato, so I put my setup up for sale and ordered a DDJ-SR controller despite the fact that it is too large to bring as normal carry on luggage and I will have to argue with flight attendants on every single flight from now on.

Then I go online and find an announcement for Serato users saying NOT to update to OSX 10.11.4 or it will break the ENTIRE PIONEER LINE!

It has been MANY versions of OSX since El Capitan first came out. There is no excuse. Serato works GREAT with El Capitan unless you use Pioneer equipment. Native Instruments gear works GREAT with El Capitan. Even mom and pop plugins work fine! The only thing that doesn’t work is the combination of Pioneer and Serato!
I wonder why?

I can only assume at this point that Pioneer is trying to pressure Serato users into switching to Rekordbox!

What was with that 900-SRT mixer that cost so much more than the normal 900-NXS? Then all of a sudden the 900-NXS supports Serato? Too bad for any Serato users who bought the SRT model! Sucks to be them! Should have used Rekordbox.

Now the new 900-NXS2 model starts showing up in my DJ booth despite the fact that it’s not on my rider. The promoters figured it was newer, so it had to be better than the normal 900-NXS right? NOPE! No Serato support AT ALL! Sucks to be me, should have used Rekordbox.

And what is with the XDJ-RX ‘all in one’ controller? Seems like an excellent, space saving solution for venues around the world… except it doesn’t support Serato and never will! Sucks to be you! Should have used Rekordbox!

I could keep listing examples but I have to go online and figure out a new compact solution to be able to play my A/V/Live sets without using any of your horribly overpriced equipment because I will never, ever, EVER buy another Pioneer product in my life.

Sincerely,

ill.GATES

PS: Fuck you.
pdidy 6:40 PM - 8 March, 2016
Holy shit that retard is actually a real Dj www.facebook.com
Mr. Goodkat 6:45 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
Holy shit that retard is actually a real Dj www.facebook.com

dj and producer. very well known an respected.

and...

thats what ive been saying about Pioneer all along. they're not gonna play nice anymore. id look for more of the same from pioneer.
pdidy 7:00 PM - 8 March, 2016
How is it possible that a "very well known an respected" dj doesn't know that his problem is el Captain and nobody else has told him yet ?

How is it possible that he is still performing live at highend events with a fucked up system ?

All of his problems can be fixed in less than an hour but he would sure hate me for it after reading this thread....lol
pdidy 7:09 PM - 8 March, 2016
This is a question and quote from his Facebook.......

Andrew Coombs:
Question some I'm understanding this ill.Gates is this interfering with live pa sets or dj sets?

ill.Gates:
A bit of both. I've been using serato together with Ableton in order to do audio video sets with finger drumming sections snd love cameras. Everything was great until I lost a computer at burning man and was forced to update to El Capitan. Now none of the pioneer stuff works and they're not accepting responsibility or taking action because they don't care about serato users.

So yes he's really using eL captain @Live events and has no clue that he has other options and it can be fixed.
Gio Alex 7:12 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
So yes he's really using eL captain @Live events and has no clue that he has other options and it can be fixed.

SMH
Mr. Goodkat 7:19 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
How is it possible that a "very well known an respected" dj doesn't know that his problem is el Captain and nobody else has told him yet ?

his rant is not that he cant roll back. his rant was that pioneer wasnt moving fast enough to accommodate serato users.
pdidy 7:26 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

his rant is not that he cant roll back. his rant was that pioneer wasnt moving fast enough to accommodate serato users.

But that's only relevant if youre using pioneer & serato with el captain right ?

If you read his Facebook replies it does appear that he thinks that he is stuck with eL captain because he purchased a new mac.
pdidy 7:41 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:

I had to reread it just to make sure I was understanding you probably........

And yes all of his problems are totally avoidable had he been knowledgeable enough to avoid eL captain all together.

I think his anger towards pioneer is misdirected, the only company he should be upset with his Apple for breaking the connection and then breaking pioneer again for a second time.
pdidy 7:47 PM - 8 March, 2016
In case anybody is unaware of what I'm talking about is more info djtechtools.com

First Apple broke EVERYBODY and then with the 10.11.4 update apple broke pioneer/serato for a second time !
Mr. Goodkat 8:03 PM - 8 March, 2016
im sure not everybody is keeping up with every serato and pioneer and apple move.

maybe his rant was misdirected, but its still a mess regardless.

dude is genius at his midi setups for production and djing.

i used a template for teh apc and ableton for a while and just his general info on the site is worth checking out for using ableton and other production tools.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:04 PM - 8 March, 2016
Man, that Windows XP and Scratchlive 1.9.2 is working pretty good right now....
Mr. Goodkat 8:07 PM - 8 March, 2016
we got the memo j, you're on ssl and xp.

we will all archive in our memories and you wont have to tell us 400 more times.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:08 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:

we will all archive in our memories and you wont have to tell us 400 more times.

No need, I have no problem reminding you.... :-)
Gio Alex 8:12 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:

LMFAO
Gio Alex 8:19 PM - 8 March, 2016
pdidy 8:22 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
dude is genius at his midi setups for production and djing.

i used a template for teh apc and ableton for a while and just his general info on the site is worth checking out for using ableton and other production tools.

Oh really I need to check him out.......
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

OK so this guy is not some amateur dj, ok got it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:28 PM - 8 March, 2016
Heads up also - the connection issues with Pioneer devices are resolved in the Serato DJ 1.8.2 update released yesterday: serato.com
Joee 8:53 PM - 8 March, 2016
osx 10.8.5 …… sdj 1.7.0

issues free……i do not plan on upgrading anytime soon

i did try 1.8.1 seems to be working well
RonDu 9:04 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

No need, I have no problem reminding you.... :-)

LMBAO!
Mr. Goodkat 9:19 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
osx 10.8.5 …… sdj 1.7.0

1.7.4 was nice.
Gio Alex 11:18 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:

Quote:

Guys. Sorry to go back to this. But remember I was saying that apple can still flash the firmware/bios? So as a test I ordered a 15" Retina 2.5ghz/16GB/512GB MID 2015. Came with El Capitan. First thing I tried to do is reimage it with 10.10.3 - in mactracker it even states it ORIGINALLY shipped with 10.10.3, but guess what? Prohibitory symbol after the re-image/reinstall upon bout.

I have a feeling that there either is a firmware update in the El Capitan OS itself OR the flash the firmware on newly shipped machines EVEN IF they were made before El Capitan came out.

But, I told you, didn't I?
Gio Alex 11:22 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
Prohibitory symbol after the re-image/reinstall upon bout.

I meant upon boot up.
Joee 11:27 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
osx 10.8.5 …… sdj 1.7.0

1.7.4 was nice.

i'm in the habit of staying with what i know works

honestly if i would have stayed with the ttm 57 & not bought a few 62's i would have stayed on 1.9
popnwave 11:45 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:

I have a feeling that there either is a firmware update in the El Capitan OS itself OR the flash the firmware on newly shipped machines EVEN IF they were made before El Capitan came out.

That's a genius bar event :)
pdidy 12:16 AM - 9 March, 2016
@Gio Alex

hopefully you still have the mac with you, try this.....

1. Restart the Mac in Recovery Mode (hold down Command and the R key during restart).

2. Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive. Click on Disk Utility > Continue. Select the main volume and click Unmount then Erase). Quit Disk Utility (Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility).

3. Click Reinstall OS X and Continue. Follow the instructions to reinstall Mac OS X.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Gio Alex 12:46 AM - 9 March, 2016
Hey Pdidy, I do IT for a living so I know how to put the os back on there. What I'm trynna say is you can't put the older OS on there. Also, I'm on foot, left the office and I'm writing this on my phone.
Gio Alex 12:47 AM - 9 March, 2016
Due to the firmware
Gio Alex 12:49 AM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's a genius bar event :)

Haha you wish! They dunno shit. Used to be an apple tech (not for Apple though) and trust me they dunno shit there. Most ppl waste their time at a Genius Bar. Lol
pdidy 1:28 AM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Hey Pdidy, I do IT for a living so I know how to put the os back on there. What I'm trynna say is you can't put the older OS on there. Also, I'm on foot, left the office and I'm writing this on my phone.

Yes im aware of you qualifications and im fully aware that they far exceed mine on this topic but humor me and let me know what your findings are when using the Recovery Mode.
Gio Alex 3:42 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes im aware of you qualifications and im fully aware that they far exceed mine on this topic but humor me and let me know what your findings are when using the Recovery Mode.

Lol I feel ya man. It's just that apple is really frustrating at times. Driving mofos crazy. I'll keep you all posted. This is a project amongst others for the day.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:51 PM - 9 March, 2016
That 1.9.2 tho. 😀
Gio Alex 3:53 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
That 1.9.2 tho. 😀

this guy lmao
Gio Alex 5:20 PM - 9 March, 2016
So here's the deal:

New machines, get the firmware flashed. Even if it's a Mid 2015 (before El Capitan). If this is done on a new machine most likely you won't be able to restore or re-image it with the old OS (Yosemite).

This isn't something they said, but my theory is every "new" machine they ship gets this done to them. I think the only way around it for the moment is refurbs. I feel like they don't bother doing it on refurbs because I bought one as well and was able to go back to the original OS it was meant to be shipped with (Yosemite) even though it came with El Capitan.
 6 5:32 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:

Hahahahaah

Told you. He needs attention.

nm
pdidy 8:33 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
So here's the deal:

New machines, get the firmware flashed. Even if it's a Mid 2015 (before El Capitan). If this is done on a new machine most likely you won't be able to restore or re-image it with the old OS (Yosemite).

This isn't something they said, but my theory is every "new" machine they ship gets this done to them. I think the only way around it for the moment is refurbs. I feel like they don't bother doing it on refurbs because I bought one as well and was able to go back to the original OS it was meant to be shipped with (Yosemite) even though it came with El Capitan.

Well that makes logical sense and is pretty much on point with what I thought was going on.

But there are reports that Apple is able to revert back if you bring it into them at a genius bar....... and just yesterday I spoke to tech-support and they advised me that it could be reverted back when using recovery mode........

Which brings me to why I need you to humor me and run the test anyway.
Gio Alex 8:53 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
So here's the deal:

Well that makes logical sense and is pretty much on point with what I thought was going on.

But there are reports that Apple is able to revert back if you bring it into them at a genius bar....... and just yesterday I spoke to tech-support and they advised me that it could be reverted back when using recovery mode........

Which brings me to why I need you to humor me and run the test anyway.

I did, it does not work because by default recovery mode downloads the OS the computer came with. In this case it's El Capitan. So that does NOT work. lol Generally speaking recovery downloads the latest OS anyway.

As far as going to the genius bar part, I can't speak for that. Sounds like a case by case thing. I doubt they all do it or do it for everyone. But that's just my opinion.
AKIEM 9:01 PM - 9 March, 2016
Or know how to do it...
Gio Alex 9:10 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Or know how to do it...

or that.

Generally they don't usually show their average techs how do tamper with firmware. Usually left up to seasoned techs or tech managers.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:00 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:

Hahahahaah

LMAO!

Says the chick who has a SCRIPT dedicated to showing me attention with Erry post!!!!

BwhahahahahA!

Now that's better than an ALIAS....
 6 1:22 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Hahahahaah

LMAO!

Says the chick who has a SCRIPT dedicated to showing me attention with Erry post!!!!

BwhahahahahA!

Now that's better than an ALIAS....

No. The script is to show everyone how I beat your ass like a little girl and left you crying.

Back on topic

Get your daughter over here since she has a Mac.

lmao

For life bitch! lol

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:43 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

Get your daughter over here

Daughter references?

Yep! Scorned for LIFE!!!!

Lol, man you don't know how much fun it is to KNOW that just my mere prescience on this board makes you and your fellow Klansmen spend time writing scripts and creating ALIAS's in my honor...

Y'all need to take a bow....

Salute!
 6 1:50 AM - 10 March, 2016
lmao! Your daughter is the one who owns the Mac. Right?

lmao at you trying to make this about anything other than your daughter being the one who actually owns a Mac and you don't.

bahahahaha

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:04 AM - 10 March, 2016
Lol! You ladies put on a great show....

Skirts pulled all day!

Take that bow son!

Oscar worthy!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:05 AM - 10 March, 2016
Legendary burn status...
 6 2:07 AM - 10 March, 2016
Two posts in a row. Yeah. You mad. lol

Don't get emotional now. lmao

and get your daughter up in here. We can show her how to get Serato DJ working for her. lol

nm
Gio Alex 2:08 AM - 10 March, 2016
If we could only stay on topic. lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:09 AM - 10 March, 2016
CTFU @ counting posts...

Wait! Don't you have a script for that?

Lmaoooooooooo!!!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:09 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

We ARE ON TOPIC!
Mr. Goodkat 2:09 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

did i tell u johnny is still using ssl 1.92 and windows xp?

he is.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:11 AM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

he is.

Say that *ish again! They didn't hear you the first time! 😀
RonDu 3:29 PM - 10 March, 2016
LMAO
 6 5:23 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

he is.

That's all he can afford. We know.

Oh wait. Got your taxes done yet? Lmao

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:26 AM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
That's all he can afford. We know.

LOL! We talking about my salary again?

We really trying to go there again?
 6 7:13 AM - 11 March, 2016
All of a sudden you speak a lot of French.

lmao!!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:08 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:

Oh, you're bilingual as well?

Shocking....

lmao.
Chrisjin 3:00 PM - 11 March, 2016
only time my serato crash is if wack music is loaded up...ie Future, Young Thug, Rich Homie and any EDM garbage
 6 3:20 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, you're bilingual as well?

Shocking....

lmao.

We know you are. Ebonics. lol

nm
Gio Alex 3:31 PM - 11 March, 2016
Remember when this thread was about serato crashing? lol
Chrisjin 4:08 PM - 11 March, 2016
LOL I didnt even realize who was arguing...these two still at it.. Grumpiest Old Men in theatres year 2025
 6 6:25 PM - 11 March, 2016
That's what happens when you battle Johnny and you whoop his ass. lmao!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:51 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
We know you are.

Nope, I don't speak Sunkist....lmao.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:52 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
That's what happens ....

Yep! Scorned! lol...
 6 9:04 PM - 11 March, 2016
Yup. Whooped that ass and it still haunts you. lmao

nm
pdidy 9:16 PM - 11 March, 2016
EL CAPITAN UPDATE dj.rane.com
Joee 9:32 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:

el capitan whipped serato & pioneers ass :)
Gio Alex 9:37 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha true

but all major OS upgrades do. Always some bs.
Gio Alex 9:38 PM - 11 March, 2016
Apple don't give AF about none of these companies. They're like, "We just wanna sell our damn computers. Couldn't give two shits if your 3rd party software don't work!" lol
pdidy 9:44 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

yep, not once but twice ....lol
Joee 9:57 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yep, not once but twice ....lol

you already know, i'm still on lion & moutin lion

no need to upgrade here

i have noticed mavericks seems to be working well in testing my wife's mac book air
Joee 9:58 PM - 11 March, 2016
SO is sixxx el captain and JM is pioneer / serato ??????

:)
pdidy 10:04 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:

why would you go and call their name ? they don't need any encouragement to come back here. That's what "the dark side" a.k.a. off-topic is for.
Gio Alex 10:06 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
why would you go and call their name ? they don't need any encouragement to come back here. That's what "the dark side" a.k.a. off-topic is for.

SMH LOL
Joee 10:09 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

lol, this thread has been of topic for a min, it's the new norm around here

in other news money in violence season 2 is in full effect, i for one like upgraded production value

Joee 10:10 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
money in violence

correction "money and violence"
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:52 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Yup. Whooped

Yes you are...

Scorned is actually the better werd.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:54 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
why would you go and call their name ? ......

lol, because he wants some attention too...

You would have thought him creating an ALIAS would have scratched that itch...

LMAO.....

BOTH of these chicks are whipped....
Joee 1:01 AM - 12 March, 2016
says the guy making up stories ……lol

keep reaching Pinocchio…….it's growing by the minute

geekandsundry.com
Mr. Goodkat 1:03 AM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
That's what "the dark side" a.k.a. off-topic is for.

the pyscho ward
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:44 AM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
says the guy making up stories ALIASES...lol

Man, once you had to resort to making up an ALIAS because you didn't have enough ballz to say what was on your mind under your already afflicted persona, you know the entire world knows you're nothing more than a Luis Sanchez rejex....lmao.

The IRONY.....

You can't make this stuff up....
 6 4:15 AM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
That's what "the dark side" a.k.a. off-topic is for.

the pyscho ward

lmao!!!

aka

I DON'T HAVE A MAC BUT MY DAUGHTER DOES OFF TOPIC SECTION

LMAO!!!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:29 AM - 12 March, 2016
The IRONY!
pdidy 8:33 AM - 12 March, 2016
Johnnym. can you take that back to the dark side , it will be appreciated.
Joee 10:48 AM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
Man, once you had to resort to making up an ALIAS because you didn't have enough ballz to say what was on your mind under your already afflicted persona, you know the entire world knows you're nothing more than a Luis Sanchez rejex....lmao.

The IRONY.....

You can't make this stuff up….

you seem to be doing a lot of making up stories!

senile
[see-nahyl, -nil, sen-ahyl] !!!!!!!!
pdidy 11:07 AM - 12 March, 2016
Joee can you take that back to the dark side , it will be appreciated.
 6 2:14 AM - 13 March, 2016
Take that, take that. lol

Here kitty lol

nm
pdidy 11:27 PM - 17 March, 2016
El capitan update

Zach S 3:26 PM - 17 March, 2016
Apple admitted (or at least the software developers Rane has been speaking to) that they broke their system but have since fixed it in 10.11.4 Beta 4.
They could break it again but good on them for not just pushing their issue under the rug. It took a lot of heat from companies like Rane to light the fire under them for a fix but they did it.
The SL2, SL3, SL4, TTM57mkII, Sixty-Two, Sixty-Four, Sixty-Eight, Sixty-One, MP2015, and MP2014 will be working with El Capitan as soon as they release the final version of, what will probably be, 10.11.5 and we've verified they haven't broke anything since 10.11.4 beta 4.
popnwave 3:01 AM - 18 March, 2016
Quote:
El capitan update

Zach S 3:26 PM - 17 March, 2016
Apple admitted (or at least the software developers Rane has been speaking to) that they broke their system but have since fixed it in 10.11.4 Beta 4.
They could break it again but good on them for not just pushing their issue under the rug. It took a lot of heat from companies like Rane to light the fire under them for a fix but they did it.
The SL2, SL3, SL4, TTM57mkII, Sixty-Two, Sixty-Four, Sixty-Eight, Sixty-One, MP2015, and MP2014 will be working with El Capitan as soon as they release the final version of, what will probably be, 10.11.5 and we've verified they haven't broke anything since 10.11.4 beta 4.

NICE.. now if I get a new MBP this year I won't be sweating El Cap.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 11:36 PM - 5 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

1. if this is a new/refurb mac purchased from apple, make an appointment at your nearest apple genius bar and advise them you are using an app that requires Yosemite and you need them to downgrade your mac.

2. if this is a used mac just acquire a copy of Yosemite on a bootable flash and downgrade or Watchwww.youtube.com

@pdidy: Off the grid for a minute... MAC Store installed Yosemite (thanks for the advice) and I have an additional question. Before I install Serato DJ & SSL, what (stable) version of iTunes should I be considering or if I should use iTunes at all considering recent revelations?
pdidy 11:54 PM - 5 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@pdidy: Off the grid for a minute... MAC Store installed Yosemite (thanks for the advice) and I have an additional question. Before I install Serato DJ & SSL, what (stable) version of iTunes should I be considering or if I should use iTunes at all considering recent revelations?

glad everything worked as planned with the apple store. I have no issues with the latest version of itunes but i dont use itune to manage my music in any way. i personally keep it simple and manage music with serato only to avoid any potential issues with itunes. So if you need a music management app im probably not the best for recommendations.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 12:48 AM - 6 June, 2016
@pdidy: Thanks again!
pdidy 11:33 PM - 18 August, 2016
BUMP....seem 1.9.2 caught alot of dj's lacking lol