DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SSL with SL1 on El Capitan

Panagiotis Chatzigiannakis 11:02 AM - 21 October, 2015
Has anyone tried it? Should I upgrade or not? Thanks in advance.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:11 PM - 22 October, 2015
Scratch Live will never be compatible with El Capitan as it is no longer being developed.
Serato DJ will be compatible with El Capitan soon. I would stick with the OS you are currently on if you are using an SL1 with Scratch Live.
Panagiotis Chatzigiannakis 4:25 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
Scratch Live will never be compatible with El Capitan as it is no longer being developed.
Serato DJ will be compatible with El Capitan soon. I would stick with the OS you are currently on if you are using an SL1 with Scratch Live.

However the same thing was said for Yosemite and Mavericks but still it worked. That is why I am asking if someone has tried it.
Panagiotis Terzopoulos 10:57 PM - 4 December, 2015
so mr Zach are you say that all of us with sl1 we'll not have support for el capitan..
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:00 PM - 7 December, 2015
Correct. The last supported OS for Scratch Live and the SL1 is 10.9. Serato is not longer updating their Scratch Live software and Rane is no longer building SL1s.
You are stuck with using older OSs with those products.
Panagiotis Chatzigiannakis 8:25 PM - 7 December, 2015
To be honest that is highly unethical since you are forcing people to buy new stuff just because you don't want to give support on older products anymore. As a matter of fact SL 1 is working with El Capitan just fine. My problem is with Rane who is discontinuing support on products for fun. I mean even Microsoft took almost 1 and a half decades to stop support for Windows XP. You guys must have some serious issues with client loyalty and CRM. I'm betting your future will not be so bright should you keep up with such practices.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:54 PM - 7 December, 2015
The SL1 is an old device that uses outdated hardware. It simply isn't compatible with the new operating systems and some hardware within newer computers.
It was not an evil scheme on Rane's or Serato's part to make anyone buy new gear. It was just as much of an irritation to us that newer OS's made our products INOP.
The SL1 had a fantastic run since it came out in 2004 though and will still work great when using an OS it is compatible with.
You don't have a paper weight. I would suggest creating a dual boot on your Mac. Putting OSX 10.9 on it as well.
When you want to use Scratch Live boot up in 10.9.
When you want to do whatever it is people need to do on El Capitan boot up in it.
You can continue to use Scratch Live with your SL1 for a really really long time.
Socamonarch 2:19 AM - 12 December, 2015
I have El Capitan and the SL1 works fine.
Socamonarch 2:23 AM - 12 December, 2015
Let me clarify the above post... It works but it is a little wonky..
DJ.PhillyC 6:01 AM - 12 December, 2015
Quote:
Let me clarify the above post... It works but it is a little wonky..

what are the issues you are seeing with the SSL and El Capitan?
Peeti-V 4:56 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
The SL1 is an old device that uses outdated hardware. It simply isn't compatible with the new operating systems and some hardware within newer computers.
It was not an evil scheme on Rane's or Serato's part to make anyone buy new gear. It was just as much of an irritation to us that newer OS's made our products INOP.
The SL1 had a fantastic run since it came out in 2004 though and will still work great when using an OS it is compatible with.
You don't have a paper weight. I would suggest creating a dual boot on your Mac. Putting OSX 10.9 on it as well.
When you want to use Scratch Live boot up in 10.9.
When you want to do whatever it is people need to do on El Capitan boot up in it.
You can continue to use Scratch Live with your SL1 for a really really long time.

How can you share the same Serato files (crates, settings, etc) with a dual boot setup?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:40 PM - 22 December, 2015
You could technically keep the music files in a shared folder but I would suggest putting all of your music stuff on your music partition and everything else separate.

This will keep your crates, music, recordings, and everything Serato tidy on one drive vs. various Serato folders housing various information on various drives.
You can easily move/copy files from one partition to the next without needing to boot up in one vs. the other.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:41 PM - 22 December, 2015
Here is a video on how to partition your drive --> Watchwww.youtube.com
Peeti-V 6:43 PM - 22 December, 2015
Thank you for your response. I am not sure if I know how to keep the serato folder on a separate partition. Are there instructions anywhere?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:53 PM - 22 December, 2015
You simply would want to move the _Serato_ folder from the Music folder on the original partition to the Music folder on the second partition. You would also move all of your music files.
Once that is done, open Serato on the second partitioned drive, click the 'Files' tab, locate the folder your music files are stored in on your second partition within the Files tab, and drag/drop the folder(s) directly onto the 'relocate lost files' tab.

This will find them on the second partition and you're done.
Peeti-V 6:57 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
You simply would want to move the _Serato_ folder from the Music folder on the original partition to the Music folder on the second partition. You would also move all of your music files.
Once that is done, open Serato on the second partitioned drive, click the 'Files' tab, locate the folder your music files are stored in on your second partition, and drag/drop the folder(s) directly onto the 'relocate lost files' tab.

This will find them on the second partition and you're done.

In this situation, I could have a drive for El Capitan with Serato DJ capabilities, a drive for Mac OS X for Serato Scratch live, and the a "music drive" for serato & iTunes files (music included). Is this correct? Thank you
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:45 PM - 22 December, 2015
I would put SDJ and Scratch Live on the same partition. They both work great on 10.8 or 10.9.
Peeti-V 8:00 PM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
I would put SDJ and Scratch Live on the same partition. They both work great on 10.8 or 10.9.

I am currently on 10.9 and use both SSL and SDJ. I wanted to take advantage of some updates with the newer OS however. I see that SDJ is not fully compatible with El Capitan depending on what hardware you use. Is SDJ fully compatible with Yosemite 10.10?
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:21 PM - 22 December, 2015
Yes.. Yosemite works great:)
Peeti-V 8:37 PM - 22 December, 2015
One more question: if the serato files and music files are on a seperate partition, will they be visible on either is login? I am assuming I will have to have the apps installed on both OS logins. I hope this makes sense
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:01 PM - 22 December, 2015
Yes.. all files on both partitions can be accessed from both partitions/logins.

and yes.. if you wanted to use Serato on either partition it will need to be installed on that partition.
Peeti-V 7:22 AM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Yes.. all files on both partitions can be accessed from both partitions/logins.

and yes.. if you wanted to use Serato on either partition it will need to be installed on that partition.

Ok, so I made 3 partitions: one bootable for yosemite, one bootable for maverick's, and one for the serato files (like an external). I tried moving my serato files to the serato drive while keeping my iTunes one my main partition.

However, when I launch serato, it is not being directed to the serato drive but just recreates serato files on the original partition it was on.

Am I missing something? Can the serato files only be in the "music" folder?
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:06 PM - 23 December, 2015
On the Serato drive/partition… You need to simply move your music files there.
That is it. No Serato folders or anything else and you aren't booting up in that drive. Its simply a storage drive.
If you've moved your original _Serato_ folder to the Serato drive already or if its still sitting in the Music folder on the original partition, move it into the Music folder on the second OS partition now.
This will ensure you see the crates when booting up on that partition.

Next you'll want to boot up on the second partition and use the relocate lost files feature to have Serato find your files on your "external" Serato drive --> support.serato.com.

Let me know if you have any other questions:)
Peeti-V 8:40 PM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
On the Serato drive/partition… You need to simply move your music files there.
That is it. No Serato folders or anything else and you aren't booting up in that drive. Its simply a storage drive.
If you've moved your original _Serato_ folder to the Serato drive already or if its still sitting in the Music folder on the original partition, move it into the Music folder on the second OS partition now.
This will ensure you see the crates when booting up on that partition.

Next you'll want to boot up on the second partition and use the relocate lost files feature to have Serato find your files on your "external" Serato drive --> support.serato.com.

Let me know if you have any other questions:)

Thank you for your quick reply. Is there anyway to move just the _Serato_ folder and not the music files? My music files are in an ideal location for my Dropbox iTunes backup system. Please let me know. Thanks
Tom.B 2:04 PM - 1 February, 2016
Hi,

Sorry to cross post - I found this after starting a discussion on a very similar topic.
serato.com

This thread seems to contain useful info but I would also like to know the answer to the final question above. Ultimately, I want to be able to download, store and access (through itunes) all my music on my main partition running el capitan, but to be able to play it in SSL (with the library read from itunes) in my new partition running Yosemite, without having multiple copies of the same files on the different partitions. Is this possible?

I am also interested to know if people think a seperate partition is a permanent solution to solve this problem than a virtual machine and hear anyones experience of setting up either.

Thanks a lot.
NFMAFL 11:28 PM - 3 February, 2016
Quote:
Ultimately, I want to be able to download, store and access (through itunes) all my music on my main partition running el capitan, but to be able to play it in SSL (with the library read from itunes) in my new partition running Yosemite, without having multiple copies of the same files on the different partitions. Is this possible?

That is definitely the ultimate question. I would like to know this as well.

Any ideas?
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:15 PM - 4 February, 2016
I would suggest just manually importing your music from the El Capitan drive into Serato DJ running on the Yosemite side.
Serato will see the El Capitan drive as an external essentially.
You would import the music from the iTunes Music folder (if that is where iTunes is putting your music) on the El Captian drive through the "Files" window in SDJ.

Import by dragging/dropping from the Files window into either the 'all' section or directly into crates. This will not duplicate any files. It will simply create a path telling Serato where the music is stored (on the El Capitan side).
civiliansound 4:51 AM - 19 February, 2016
Ok guys-so I've created a partition (with 400G set aside) to set up Yosemite + all music on the new drive. Been having USB drops since upgrading. To date I've now DL'd my "purchased" copy of Yosemite via App Store and when I attempt to open, I get an error prompt "this DL is too old to run on this OS X"...wtf?! I've also restarted with alt/option and do not see the partition drive as an option to boot up...
Rebelguy 8:16 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
To be honest that is highly unethical since you are forcing people to buy new stuff just because you don't want to give support on older products anymore. As a matter of fact SL 1 is working with El Capitan just fine. My problem is with Rane who is discontinuing support on products for fun. I mean even Microsoft took almost 1 and a half decades to stop support for Windows XP. You guys must have some serious issues with client loyalty and CRM. I'm betting your future will not be so bright should you keep up with such practices.

Wow this was hilarious.
civiliansound 9:20 PM - 19 February, 2016
Okay so here's the latest. I've not been successful so far installing Yosemite using a partitioned drive, as El Capitan prevents the App Store DL link for Yosemite (I DL'd from App Store directly) as it says "this dl is too old to run on this OS X". I've been on the phone with Apple since yesterday. We've determined that to create a bootable version of Yosemite, the DL needs to be offloaded via USB key or EHD, a formatted USB key/EHD created and then a Terminal adjustment made to the installer inside ElCap

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction)

which creates a version of the Installer that will open and "hypothetically" will allow you elect either the USB drive, or the partitioned drive created earlier. This process is making my head spin, and now after I created a partition drive, and followed the steps in Terminal, I'm not getting " /volumes/untitled is not a valid volume mount point "

So I'm back at square one. Any ideas/thoughts?
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:09 PM - 22 February, 2016
I dont have the same predicament as you,but i reckon this should work

1.Create a bootable USB for each OS and install from the USB

2. Easiest way to save space is to have your music on external HD. That way you can plug into whichever partition you wanna use.

I have Music and videos on a thunderbolt drive and it works fine.

Just make sure you do a regular back up of your music HD to another HD. Maybe monthly.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:42 PM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Wow this was hilarious.

lmao.
djshakez 8:31 PM - 10 July, 2016
Hey all,

I recently was forced to upgrade my OS X from 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to 10.9 (El Capitan) because the venue only had a Numark NV controller which is used with Serato DJ and that requires 10.8 or above. After updating, I was concerned about having to purchase a new SL box since I am currently running on SL1 for the past 10 years!

So before making to jump to SL3 or SL4, I decided to test out SL1 at home with Technics 1200s and a Rane TTM-56. I am happy to report that I did not have major issues with scratching/playing tracks/using cues/etc. for 30 minutes. The only minor issue I did notice is that every so often you'd get a quick half-second 'skip' from the song, as if someone bumped into the DJ booth sort of thing, so definitely nothing serious.

Obviously, testing for 30 mins vs. a full night of 6 hours is a different story, so that will be my next challenge and hopefully, I won't regret it!
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:16 PM - 10 July, 2016
You could have partitioned your drive and installed EC on it. That skip you mentioned nearly drove me bonkers when I did a full update to Capitan prior to it being supported ("Rane 62 ")
racksi 8:34 PM - 29 August, 2016
Hello there,

I bought new mac book pro 15inc i7 500 gb ssd drive
os version 10.11.4

and i have SL1 which says it wont support my system
please help me out

1- which version of serato i should download

2- i have purchased video plug in how should i move to this laptop

3- also if i am doing video djing will there be a problem?
Mr. Goodkat 9:28 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Hello there,

I bought new mac book pro 15inc i7 500 gb ssd drive
os version 10.11.4

and i have SL1 which says it wont support my system
please help me out

1- which version of serato i should download

2- i have purchased video plug in how should i move to this laptop

3- also if i am doing video djing will there be a problem?

Quote:
racksi 9:40 PM - 29 August, 2016
but the above seems lot of djs are lucky with SL1 working fine with El Capitan
trinsolutionsinc 6:58 AM - 14 September, 2016
I am a pro DJ and there are some clubs still use SL 1 and it inquires scratch live. Are there any workaround solution or any suggest if possible?
Blazin Vybes 5:14 AM - 18 December, 2016
I'm lil lost personally my sl1 box (mine says ledt/right on top vs 1/2) works fine with el capitan however the ttm57 I have issues with. Thought that was so strange. Considering my box came out long b4 the mixer did. When I play on radio or in certain clubs I have to patch in my sl1 to play
DJ NUCLEAR 876 7:59 PM - 18 October, 2017
Ok guys listen carefully please...
El caption can use scratchlive
With all sl except for sl2
I have tried my MacBook pro 2012 with all
Sl and it works well with sl 1 not sl 2
It work with sl 3 also perfectly...
DJ NUCLEAR 876 8:01 PM - 18 October, 2017
There is a site you can download the specific sets of drivers for the el caption
trinsolutionsinc 8:27 PM - 19 October, 2017
what's the URL to get the specific sets of drivers for the EL Caption
DJ NUCLEAR 876 8:41 PM - 19 October, 2017
dj.rane.com
Quote:
what's the URL to get the specific sets of drivers for the EL Caption
DJ NUCLEAR 876 8:42 PM - 19 October, 2017
dj.rane.com thats it