Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ with Yosemite - Sudden Dropouts

DJ Laitier 7:36 PM - 6 November, 2014
Hey Everybody,

since i made my Yosemite update, i'm getting Dropouts in Serato DJ for 'bout a half second. I think it's not because of my latency settings. With Mavericks installed, everything worked fine.

Maybe anyone has the same problem and a solution :)
dj_soo 9:21 AM - 9 November, 2014
Why would you update your os when it hasn't been officially supported by serato?
DJ Laitier 6:55 PM - 9 November, 2014
Not an answer to my question.. I'm a programmer, and i like to be up to date, overtime with everything.
keithtalent 8:39 PM - 9 November, 2014
Sounds like a bunch of people are having this problem. I've experienced it myself twice at least. I haven't seen word on here about a solution yet. Good luck!
DJMark 9:02 PM - 9 November, 2014
Solution/answer: clean install back to Mavericks, the OS that is supported by Serato.
DJMark 9:02 PM - 9 November, 2014
Basic Logic:

Back up your system before doing any OS update, in case you need to go back.

I mean, DUHHHHHH......
dj_soo 11:07 PM - 9 November, 2014
Quote:
Not an answer to my question.. I'm a programmer, and i like to be up to date, overtime with everything.

wow, that's so much worse.

c'mon man, you're a programmer - you should know enough to not update something like your OS before you get the ok from the developers unless you're specifically doing it to help them test and find bugs.

Every single time an OS updates, it causes problems for a bunch of programs regardless of how long the software developers have the beta in their hands. That's why on the download page for Serato, it only lists compatibility up to Mavericks.

At the very least partition your drive out so you can dual boot.
DJ SL1 11:18 PM - 9 November, 2014
Quote:
Hey Everybody,

since i made my Yosemite update, i'm getting Dropouts in Serato DJ for 'bout a half second. I think it's not because of my latency settings. With Mavericks installed, everything worked fine.

Same here bud just updated mine it seemed to work very good then i started getting split second audio drops when loading tracks or hitting the channel cue on my ddj-sz let me know if you hear anything... as far as all the other comments just don't.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:38 AM - 10 November, 2014
Hi DJ Laitier,

Can you please tell me what DJ hardware you are using?

Thanks,
Michael.
pdidy 10:04 AM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

wow, that's so much worse.

c'mon man, you're a programmer - you should know enough to not update something like your OS before you get the ok from the developers unless you're specifically doing it to help them test and find bugs.

i call bullshit, no way he's a programer or anything remotely close to it.
DJ SL1 12:25 PM - 10 November, 2014
I know I'm not any developer but Im wondering if there is going to be a fix soon. Good thing everyone was tipsy and they didn't really notice. But I have a mba i7 8gb ram 512 ssd and ddj sz
DJ Laitier 3:38 PM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:
i call bullshit, no way he's a programer or anything remotely close to it.

Yeah, think what u want to think.

I updated my OS because of many reasons. One of them is, that my Serato DJ hasn't worked great on Mavericks or older Versions, so i hoped, it would do on Yosemite. Another reason was, that Logic Pro X is working better on Yosemite. But nevertheless this is not a discussion about me, my programming skills, or anything similar.

Well i have found out, what causes the dropouts.
First: My Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2012
Intel Core i7 @ 2.3GHz
16 GB DDR3 RAM
And a Samsung SSD with 250 GB

At Work, I have two Technis Turntables, my SL3 and my Ipad Air with Serato Remote (sometimes my Dicers).

And now i found out, that the dropouts are caused by either Serato itself, or the USB interface. Reducing the audio latency to 10 ms (i always hab 1 ms) and the framerate to >= 50 Hz (normally 60) will reduce the problem extremely.
shadow23 6:00 PM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:
With Mavericks installed, everything worked fine.

Quote:

Quote:

I updated my OS because of many reasons. One of them is, that my Serato DJ hasn't worked great on Mavericks or older Versions, so i hoped, it would do on Yosemite.

I don't get it. So which is it? Does it fine or not on Mavericks? One minute you're saying it worked fine and then the next you're saying it hasn't worked great. I'm just confused.
Ian Lewer 6:35 PM - 10 November, 2014
I am also experiencing some dropouts. In my last DJ gig, it happened twice. Once when I hit the 'Backspace/Delete' key on my MacBook Pro, and once when I hit 'Load Track' in my Pioneer mixer.
DJ Arries 7:16 PM - 10 November, 2014
Since I upgraded to Yosemite and 1.7.1 I have been experiencing dropouts too.

This past weekend had like 10+ dropouts throughout the night playing at a club of about 20ms each. Luckily it was quick and did not have any other problems besides that.

mid 2010 15" MBP i7 with SSD
DDJ-S1
5ms Latency

I have done a few gigs since Yosemite upgrade and have had a few glitches, but never had it this bad.

The club had a bad Behringer mixer and I had to play with my gains set quite high to be able to play to the 0db mark, and therefore sometimes Serato limiter was kicking in, I wonder if it might not be something to do with that that made the drops outs occur so much?
Ian Lewer 7:32 PM - 10 November, 2014
In my last DJ gig, it was a private party....top of an apartment building in the penthouse. I had to cut the volume very low due to people complaining about the volume. The drop outs still occurred a few times, and the volume was so low it was almost embarrassing.

So, I'm wondering if there is a 'fix' coming.
DJ Arries 7:35 PM - 10 November, 2014
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the feedback. Seems not to be the limiter or so.

Hope a fix is coming soon!
4mydawgz 8:12 PM - 10 November, 2014
So I guess no one will ever update their OS as long as their favorite software program isn't supported.
DJ SL1 8:18 PM - 10 November, 2014
Lets try to focus on whats going on rather than all this extra arguing about pointless stuff I just want to get back running good without having to go back to mavericks. For the meanwhile I'm just dealing with it. As far as what triggered an audio dropout for me was basically all the stuff from the past that used to trigger the dropouts from older versions of Serato (loading tracks, searching for tracks). The new issue that i rarely ever noticed before was listening to a different channel cue. On my ns7 it rarely happened but on my DDJ-SZ it happened a lot. Mavericks was running perfect. Yosemite is what is causing the issues for me. And yes I adjusted the latency. Which was never an issue before I always had it on the fastest setting. (I will say one thing though I do miss my NS7).
pdidy 8:27 PM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:
So I guess no one will ever update their OS as long as their favorite software program isn't supported.

Well the Professional djs won't.........
shadow23 8:34 PM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:
Lets try to focus on whats going on rather than all this extra arguing about pointless stuff I just want to get back running good without having to go back to mavericks. For the meanwhile I'm just dealing with it. As far as what triggered an audio dropout for me was basically all the stuff from the past that used to trigger the dropouts from older versions of Serato (loading tracks, searching for tracks). The new issue that i rarely ever noticed before was listening to a different channel cue. On my ns7 it rarely happened but on my DDJ-SZ it happened a lot. Mavericks was running perfect.

But that's it though if Mavericks was running perfect for you then you have to consider going back to it. You have to weigh up what's more important to you. If Serato DJ running perfect with no issues is what's the most important to you than any other updated apps with Yosimite then you really need to consider Mavericks. But if you can live with the issues you get using Yosimite with SDJ then just stay with Yosimite.
DJ Laitier 9:26 PM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:
I don't get it. So which is it? Does it fine or not on Mavericks? One minute you're saying it worked fine and then the next you're saying it hasn't worked great. I'm just confused.

Sorry, this was a bit confusing. I have had some other problems running on Mavericks, but they are solved in Yosemite. But now i have these dropouts ^^
DJMark 9:32 PM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:

Standard procedure for at least the last 20 years with computers used for any kind of "mission-critical" purpose:

Leave the OS configuration alone unless/until there's a real need to change/update it.

And, before making any updates, make a bootable backup.
dj_soo 5:48 AM - 11 November, 2014
Quote:

if you need your laptop to do gigs and make money, it's a stupid idea to update to an unsupported OS.
shadow23 5:52 AM - 11 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

if you need your laptop to do gigs and make money, it's a stupid idea to update to an unsupported OS.

+1

I just bought a MBP and refusing to update to Yosemite as I have a gig in 2 weeks. I know I can use my Windows laptop which has done the job before. Since I have a new MBP I might as well try it out.
DJ SL1 9:46 PM - 11 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

But that's it though if Mavericks was running perfect for you then you have to consider going back to it. You have to weigh up what's more important to you. If Serato DJ running perfect with no issues is what's the most important to you than any other updated apps with Yosimite then you really need to consider Mavericks. But if you can live with the issues you get using Yosimite with SDJ then just stay with Yosimite.

Your absolutely right and so is pdidy I'm not a professional DJ I do have a great full time job and end of the day those little dropouts aren't going to cost me anything major. So I'll stick w the updates and hang tight. I'm sure most of us use this to make money when we can. I'm sure if u solely bought a controller this expensive for pure entertainment it would be rare. But as far as professional DJs here I'm sure there is just a hand full.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:11 AM - 18 November, 2014
Hi everyone,

For those experiencing this issue, please try out the latest beta of Serato DJ 1.7.2 -> serato.com (click link). From the release notes:

Quote:
2. We believe that we significantly reduced quick audible dropouts that were reported by many when using OS X Yosemite. If there is no improvement in this build for you, then please provide feedback by submitting a new bug report, or posting in your existing report.

Cheers,
Michael.
DJ Arries 9:13 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Hi everyone,

For those experiencing this issue, please try out the latest beta of Serato DJ 1.7.2 -> serato.com (click link). From the release notes:

Quote:
2. We believe that we significantly reduced quick audible dropouts that were reported by many when using OS X Yosemite. If there is no improvement in this build for you, then please provide feedback by submitting a new bug report, or posting in your existing report.

Cheers,
Michael.

Downloading it now... Thanks :)
DJ Arries 12:11 PM - 18 November, 2014
played around now for like 15 mins, using effects, browsing library etc. and did not notice any audio drops?

The dropoutcount.log sais this though:

2014/11/18, 14:08:22 SAST Limiter Indicator
2014/11/18, 14:08:22 SAST Total Unmasked Dropouts: 24
2014/11/18, 14:08:22 SAST Total Masked Dropouts: 0
2014/11/18, 14:08:22 SAST Callback Dropout Indicator
2014/11/18, 14:08:22 SAST Total Unmasked Dropouts: 1
2014/11/18, 14:08:22 SAST Total Masked Dropouts: 0

What does it mean?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:38 PM - 18 November, 2014
That looks like you might have had some small dropouts, but they were not large enough to cause any audio loss. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're concerned then you could try adjusting your USB buffer.
DJ Arries 6:42 AM - 19 November, 2014
Hi Michael,

Okay yeah will try today at different buffer speeds.

Just for interest sake, what do those figures mean in the log?
I asked the question here:

serato.com

Hope you can help me understand them :)

Regards,
Arries
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:21 AM - 20 November, 2014
Those figures are the number of dropouts you have had. A Masked dropout is one that we identify as having caused no audio issue, whereas an Unmasked dropout is one which may (but doesn't necessarily have to). Again I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you are seeing the dropout indicator on screen and having audio dropouts.
DJ Arries 9:54 AM - 20 November, 2014
Okay cool thanx Michael R,

Last night I played at a club and according to the dropcount.log I had 42 unmasked drop outs but I only acually heard 2 very short dropouts.

I am at the moment using 1.7.1 and Yosemite so I do not put any blame on Serato for the drop outs.
Waiting in anticipation for 1.7.2 :)!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 8:22 PM - 20 November, 2014
No worries :)

If you've had dropouts, as I mentioned earlier try increasing your USB buffer and if you haven't already try the recommendations listed here -> support.serato.com (click link).

Cheers,
Michael.
Slim Jim 10:00 AM - 29 November, 2014
I too am expericening dropouts with Yosemite. And before any of the above haters jump on board, I upgraded it by accident. I wasn't thinking straight, so yes I'm stupid.

I tried downgrading Serato DJ to 1.6.3 and I have also tried the Beta version. Both these and 1.7.1 are giving me dropouts of 2 or 3 in a 3hr set.

I first reported it here but was referred to Beta support team as SDJ 1.7.1 doesn't support Yosemite. The Beta team referred back to here as it's happening on all versions of SDJ. Must admit I'm lost with it. Hope 1.7.2 comes soon.

Does anyone have a plan English (don't forget I'm stupid) procedure for downgrading to Mavericks. I back up to Time Machine.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:45 AM - 29 November, 2014
The newest 1.7.2 BETA has fixed all the dropouts for me and seeing more reports that it has for others. So make sure you are indeed using the newest BETA available.

Scroll right to the bottom of this thread and download the install Serato DJ 1.7.2.4859.dmg
---> serato.com
shadow23 6:04 PM - 29 November, 2014
Quote:
The newest 1.7.2 BETA has fixed all the dropouts

All I'm waiting for is Yosemite 10.10.2 and the official 1.7.2
DJ Arries 11:09 AM - 30 November, 2014
Quote:
The newest 1.7.2 BETA has fixed all the dropouts

I agree check my post here:

serato.com
Slim Jim 4:01 PM - 30 November, 2014
172.4589 has not fixed the dropouts for me.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:41 PM - 30 November, 2014
Hey Slim Jim,

Have you got your wifi turned off? I've seen people report that they were able to run DJ with WIFI on with Mavericks, but when they upgrade to Yosemite they get drop outs. Perhaps this will help? Otherwise I suggest following the articles on here to optimise your computer for use with DJ.

Cheers,
Michael.
DJ Arries 11:57 PM - 30 November, 2014
Quote:
172.4589 has not fixed the dropouts for me.

Hey man what setup are you using?

Quote:
Hey Slim Jim,

Have you got your wifi turned off? I've seen people report that they were able to run DJ with WIFI on with Mavericks, but when they upgrade to Yosemite they get drop outs. Perhaps this will help? Otherwise I suggest following the articles on here to optimise your computer for use with DJ.

Cheers,
Michael.

Hi Michael,

I nearly always have my wifi turned on... Yes I know naughty me, yet I have not gotten any drop outs so far with latest Beta and OSX 10.10.1

Cheers
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:20 AM - 1 December, 2014
Quote:
I nearly always have my wifi turned on... Yes I know naughty me, yet I have not gotten any drop outs so far with latest Beta and OSX 10.10.1

Naughty indeed! Good to know though :)
blackavenger 7:34 PM - 4 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Standard procedure for at least the last 20 years with computers used for any kind of "mission-critical" purpose:

Leave the OS configuration alone unless/until there's a real need to change/update it.

And, before making any updates, make a bootable backup.

I just now switched from Snow Leopard to Mountan Lion to take advantage of the "Flip" functionality. It's ridiculous (like worthy of ridicule) updating your OS before Serato has given the go ahead. Like Diddy said, no professionally minded DJ would ever do such a thing.
pdidy 12:01 AM - 5 December, 2014
Quote:
It's ridiculous (like worthy of ridicule) updating your OS before Serato has given the go ahead. Like Diddy said, no professionally minded DJ would ever do such a thing.

I try not to preach too much cause people get tired of hearing that shit but recently there's been no shortage of syntheticremarks.com "WTF are these people thinking" when I read these threads.
andwe-e-e-e 4:15 AM - 6 December, 2014
@everyone in this thread who is responding to this with anything like:
"Why would you update your os when it hasn't been officially supported by serato?"
or
"no professionally minded DJ would ever do such a thing."

While I agree with the sentiment that you should not cause your machine to do something where it is no longer supported by the software you use professionally, I also am curious as to why Serato is dropping the ball on this one... there are developer versions of operating system updates released months before the official public release...

No disrespect intended, but .... I just bought a new 2014 MacBook Pro.
This is the only product for professionals that I've come across that is still in BETA for this newest version.
Does Serato not have the resources they need in order to keep up or something?
Slim Jim 10:57 AM - 6 December, 2014
Hi Michael R,

Thanks for your help.

Yes I always keep the wi-fi off. In fact switching it on and off while SDJ is playing makes no difference to the CPU meter.

I have tried an number of things for my mac that have been suggested in other threads. Repairing Disk Permissions in Safe mode, Resetting SMC, and resetting my PRAM. Nothing has worked to date.

I played a 3hr set last night and had 8 dropouts.
DJMark 11:06 AM - 6 December, 2014
Quote:
I just bought a new 2014 MacBook Pro.

Even if it has Yosemite on it, you should still be able to install Mavericks on it. That was what was on my mid-2014 MBP when I got it.
dj_soo 9:33 PM - 6 December, 2014
Quote:
@everyone in this thread who is responding to this with anything like:
"Why would you update your os when it hasn't been officially supported by serato?"
or
"no professionally minded DJ would ever do such a thing."

While I agree with the sentiment that you should not cause your machine to do something where it is no longer supported by the software you use professionally, I also am curious as to why Serato is dropping the ball on this one... there are developer versions of operating system updates released months before the official public release...

No disrespect intended, but .... I just bought a new 2014 MacBook Pro.
This is the only product for professionals that I've come across that is still in BETA for this newest version.
Does Serato not have the resources they need in order to keep up or something?

Have you never used any other professional software - pretty universal that it takes a bit before th support the latest OS.
Slim Jim 11:35 AM - 7 December, 2014
No DJ Soo. We are all complete novices and would love to have 'soo' much experience like you!! None of us are complaining or demanding support for Yosemite compatibilty. We are all trying to get a little help in the case the Support have any background knowledge. If they can't help then we will all have to perserve with dropouts until 1.7.2 launches.
DJ Arries 12:33 PM - 7 December, 2014
For interest sake, are any of you getting the drop outs who are using a DDJ-S1?

After a 5 hour set last night I am glad to report I had no drop outs of any sort.

"2014/12/07, 03:11:52 SAST Limiter Indicator
2014/12/07, 03:11:52 SAST Total Unmasked Dropouts: 0
2014/12/07, 03:11:52 SAST Total Masked Dropouts: 0
2014/12/07, 03:11:52 SAST Callback Dropout Indicator
2014/12/07, 03:11:52 SAST Total Unmasked Dropouts: 0
2014/12/07, 03:11:52 SAST Total Masked Dropouts: 0 "

I am on OSX Yosemite (10.1.1), 1.7.2 2nd latest beta, 2010 MBP i7 SSD, DDJ-S1, had iTunes running, Safari (had to search for a few songs requested that I did not have), YouTube mp3 converter, Wifi was on the whole time and I downloaded quite a few tracks while playing, even updated my Facebook Page's status while Serato was playing, opened my Mail to email one of my DJ friends a song they needed last night, I use effects and also recorded parts of the set via SDJ's recorder.

I know I shouldn't be taking chances and all but this is actually how it should be working for all of us at the end of the day... I have a residence at a club from middle Dec to Jan '15 so want to "fully test" SDJ and all possible situations now to see if I get any problems.

Don't know if I am just lucky but I am starting to get my full confidence back in SDJ after some small drop out problems I experienced a few months back.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:10 PM - 7 December, 2014
Hi Slim Jim,

Quote:
Yes I always keep the wi-fi off. In fact switching it on and off while SDJ is playing makes no difference to the CPU meter.

I have tried an number of things for my mac that have been suggested in other threads. Repairing Disk Permissions in Safe mode, Resetting SMC, and resetting my PRAM. Nothing has worked to date.

I played a 3hr set last night and had 8 dropouts.

I'd suggest getting in touch with our Support Team and they can help you better than I can :) The best way to reach them is to open a help ticket (support.serato.com) or email them at support@serato.com.

Cheers,
Michael.
DJPunzo 4:30 AM - 8 December, 2014
Serato needs to be on the ball with the updates. Yosemite Beta been around for developers for months so they can upgrade their programs to the newest update. Ive been using Scratch Live 2.5 until Serato DJ 1.7.2 is out of Beta
DJPunzo 4:40 AM - 8 December, 2014
The 1.7.2 Beta seems to be working smoothly on Yosemite though. I did not get any dropouts and played for 6 hours
Joe Fresh 4:56 AM - 8 December, 2014
Quote:
The 1.7.2 Beta seems to be working smoothly on Yosemite though. I did not get any dropouts and played for 6 hours

I did the same last night, no issues for me.
DJMark 5:49 AM - 8 December, 2014
Quote:
Serato needs to be on the ball with the updates. Yosemite Beta been around for developers for months so they can upgrade their programs to the newest update.

The flaw in this logic is that any OS beta can vary considerably from the final. A lot of development time can get wasted that way...