Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

AMX & AFX - DJ Techtools review

phatbob 9:20 PM - 12 November, 2014
Hey guys,

Thought you might be interested in my review of these things, if only to see them in action up close.

www.djtechtools.com

Cheers!
Djkom 9:34 PM - 12 November, 2014
Great review man !!! Exactly the kind of review I was looking for !!! You've answered the last questions I had over these units especially the output level, the platter control/emulation and way more...
DJ Remix Detroit 9:51 PM - 12 November, 2014
Great job on the review... just a quick note, you can touch anywhere on the knobs (sides and top) to trigger the capacitive on/off touch feature.
DJ Remix Detroit 9:52 PM - 12 November, 2014
also, i turned my volume all the way up on SDJ which gave me a lot more play on the volume on the AMX master volume knob.
phatbob 10:09 PM - 12 November, 2014
Thanks guys.

Quote:
also, i turned my volume all the way up on SDJ which gave me a lot more play on the volume on the AMX master volume knob.

That helps, but I found I often hit the limiter in SDJ. There's only so much volume you can pump out from the software.
Ragman 1:35 AM - 13 November, 2014
Good review PB. Much appreciated. You think you guys will get around to reviewing the Numark NV?
phatbob 1:41 AM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
You think you guys will get around to reviewing the Numark NV?

Already did... ;)

www.djtechtools.com
Ragman 1:46 AM - 13 November, 2014
Excellent. Thanks PB. ;-)
DJ Remix Detroit 12:48 PM - 13 November, 2014
phatbob,

what are the specs, OS X version and latency settings on your MBP that you are using with the AMX, are you experiencing any usb dropouts or the dropout light coming on?
DJ Ed Wong 2:17 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Great job on the review... just a quick note, you can touch anywhere on the knobs (sides and top) to trigger the capacitive on/off touch feature.

YES

(I just checked it on mine - I wasn't expect that it would - but it does)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:22 AM - 14 November, 2014
Rad review Chris! Nailed it.
Djkom 8:54 PM - 16 November, 2014
Can the AFX control the sampler volume with the parameter knob ?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:02 PM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:

Not currently, but we're going to update the mapping so that when in Sampler Mode, the parameter knob controls sampler volume, and changes sample banks w/ Shift. There's a few other mapping improvements we're making too, for example a more fine BPM adjustment when using Shift + Gain Encoders - as Chris pointed out in his review.
papagp 1:14 AM - 17 November, 2014
Hi,
you know something about platter emulation mode in AFX?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:24 AM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Hi,
you know something about platter emulation mode in AFX?

What do you mean by that? What do you want to know?
papagp 1:31 AM - 17 November, 2014
From the review of AFX:
''The Bad: Missing a “platter emulation” mode to move the playhead on tracks around.''

This will be very useful.
deejdave 2:09 AM - 17 November, 2014
Yeah it is simply lacking Twitch or Kontrol X1 MKII style manipulation is all like he said in the video.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:50 AM - 17 November, 2014
Oh I see. Yes we do have plans to add a Twitch-style scrub mode to the AFX.

How do you guys think that would work best? There's a couple options :
• Simply make it so that when in PITCH mode and the track is paused it performs a Scrub.
• When in PITCH or SEARCH mode, SHIFT + touchstrip performs the scrub.
Djkom 10:06 AM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Not currently, but we're going to update the mapping so that when in Sampler Mode, the parameter knob controls sampler volume, and changes sample banks w/ Shift. There's a few other mapping improvements we're making too, for example a more fine BPM adjustment when using Shift + Gain Encoders - as Chris pointed out in his review.

Great Logan!!! Very good anticipation and improvement efforts! I really like how you Serato guys are listening to our requests !

Quote:
Oh I see. Yes we do have plans to add a Twitch-style scrub mode to the AFX.

• Simply make it so that when in PITCH mode and the track is paused it performs a Scrub.
• When in PITCH or SEARCH mode, SHIFT + touchstrip performs the scrub.

Personnally I prefer the 2nd option when SEARCH is activated because it offers more possibilities (kind of backspins) and less constraints (make a pause before using it).
But in this case, I would prefer that the SHIFT activation should do the quick search and in normal mode the scrub (because I think the scrub is more used than the quick search) ...

In all the cases, these improvements are welcomed !!! THANKS in advanced
papagp 11:21 AM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Personnally I prefer the 2nd option when SEARCH is activated because it offers more possibilities (kind of backspins) and less constraints (make a pause before using it).
But in this case, I would prefer that the SHIFT activation should do the quick search and in normal mode the scrub (because I think the scrub is more used than the quick search) ...

I agree 100%
DJ Remix Detroit 11:26 AM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
I really like how you Serato guys are listening to our requests !

just remember, there's a huge difference between listening and implementing.... so don't get your hopes up for any of these feature requests to be coming out anytime soon.
Djkom 12:16 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I really like how you Serato guys are listening to our requests !

just remember, there's a huge difference between listening and implementing.... so don't get your hopes up for any of these feature requests to be coming out anytime soon.

rhooo, the sarcastic guy :) :) :)

At least it's a good first step! I remember that Serato has implemented many times user requests...but yes, not as quick as we expected ;)
DJ Remix Detroit 12:29 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
rhooo, the sarcastic guy :) :) :)

not being sarcastic at all... i was actually just giving you a heads up so you are not expecting it be an 'overnight' add-on. Serato has a verrrrrry slow track record when it comes to adding feature requests.

Quote:
At least it's a good first step!

Taking the toilet paper off the roll is a 'good first step' when it comes to wiping your ass, but it does no good if you just stop there.

^^^ (now that's sarcasm)...lol
Djkom 12:39 PM - 17 November, 2014
LOL !!! Hope this time Serato will contradict you :)
As these new AKAI controllers are kind of "strategic" products, something tells me that they will be reactive....
DJ Remix Detroit 2:35 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Hope this time Serato will contradict you :)

Watchwww.youtube.com
deejdave 4:46 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Serato has a verrrrrry slow track record when it comes to adding feature requests.

When it comes to damaging mappings, bugs or crucial features you are dead wrong. When it comes to opinions and wants you are correct. Then again why wouldn't they be? For every person you have asking for whatever the feature may be and saying how horrible thigns are without it....................... you have 4 OTHER people who are 100% content in the real world using it that you never hear from. Why? Because people rarely pop in here to say how content they are with things. This is cause for treading lightly when it comes to changing things for everyone on the word of a few. Seems logical to me. I know I had two issues and voiced both. serato.com & serato.com. BOTH were addressed and then BOTH were rectified. Both in a timely fashion IMO as well.

I know it seems like forever when you want something but just keep in mind there is a whole forum around us asking for their own things as well. Communication is KEY though and when it comes to that Serato is great. Actually come to think of it who else has a faster turnaround on updates? I can vouch that Rekordbox (Pioneer, Traktor (Native Instruments) & VDJ (Atomix) ALL do NOT.

I have heard good things on Mixvibes though.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:05 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Serato has a verrrrrry slow track record when it comes to adding feature requests.

When it comes to damaging mappings, bugs or crucial features you are dead wrong. When it comes to opinions and wants you are correct. Then again why wouldn't they be? For every person you have asking for whatever the feature may be and saying how horrible thigns are without it....................... you have 4 OTHER people who are 100% content in the real world using it that you never hear from. Why? Because people rarely pop in here to say how content they are with things. This is cause for treading lightly when it comes to changing things for everyone on the word of a few. Seems logical to me. I know I had two issues and voiced both. serato.com & serato.com. BOTH were addressed and then BOTH were rectified. Both in a timely fashion IMO as well.

I know it seems like forever when you want something but just keep in mind there is a whole forum around us asking for their own things as well. Communication is KEY though and when it comes to that Serato is great. Actually come to think of it who else has a faster turnaround on updates? I can vouch that Rekordbox (Pioneer, Traktor (Native Instruments) & VDJ (Atomix) ALL do NOT.

I have heard good things on Mixvibes though.

we are talking features....not bugs. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.
Ragman 5:15 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
we are talking features....not bugs. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.

Not trying to be a butt wipe, but he did say the below in the beginning. ;-)
Quote:

When it comes to damaging mappings, bugs or crucial features you are dead wrong. When it comes to opinions and wants you are correct. [...]
deejdave 5:34 PM - 17 November, 2014
Thanks Ragman. I would also categorize THIS ^^^ threads issue under the damaging mappings category which Serato handles in a very timely fashion and IS in fact apples to apples.........

With how much attention this is grabbing combined with the fact that this is a universal (in regards to ALL who use the AMX/AFX) gain as well as a mutual gain (Serato & end user) I am willing to bet this will be a sooner rather than later situation.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:38 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Not trying to be a butt wipe, but he did say the below in the beginning. ;-)
Quote:
When it comes to damaging mappings, bugs or crucial features you are dead wrong. When it comes to opinions and wants you are correct. [...]

oh no doubt,i hear ya, but in all fairness...... he did say "crucial features"... but only gave examples of bugs being addressed. And the one bug he listed took has an 8month gap between first post and last post.

if he has examples of "crucial features being addressed within an '8 month period' then I'll be happy to retract my statement and apologize.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:39 PM - 17 November, 2014
deejdave,

any examples of "crucial features" being addressed in a 'timely manner" (not being sarcastic either)
deejdave 5:56 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
oh no doubt,i hear ya, but in all fairness...... he did say "crucial features"... but only gave examples of bugs being addressed. And the one bug he listed took has an 8month gap between first post and last post.

I was giving examples of MY personal issues. Wasn't necessarily an example of a bug, feature, or anything. I also figured being the topic here was a crucial feature (How the needle search works) I didn't need to specify as it is implied.
Quote:
deejdave,

any examples of "crucial features" being addressed in a 'timely manner" (not being sarcastic either)

The best way would be to go through the release notes of past releases and see for yourself as there are a GREAT many. How many apply to me............... or you specifically? Not sure. Keep in mind while you are wanting and waiting for A. Someone else is wanting and waiting for B. At times Serato will have to assess which is more important or in other words prioritize.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:59 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I was giving examples of MY personal issues. Wasn't necessarily an example of a bug, feature, or anything. I also figured being the topic here was a crucial feature (How the needle search works) I didn't need to specify as it is implied.
Quote:
deejdave,

The best way would be to go through the release notes of past releases and see for yourself as there are a GREAT many. How many apply to me............... or you specifically? Not sure. Keep in mind while you are wanting and waiting for A. Someone else is wanting and waiting for B. At times Serato will have to assess which is more important or in other words prioritize.

way to not answer my question.... you said i was dead wrong about Serato being slow to implement features requests by users....

can you please show me a couple examples of Serato implementing a user request within 8 months?

and I'm pretty sure if you manage to dig up a few, I can find 5:1 that prove my point as being accurate.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:08 PM - 17 November, 2014
Multiple requests of this one, 4 yrs old: serato.com

here's another one going on 4 yrs old: serato.com

almost 4 yrs old: serato.com

4 yrs old: serato.com

pitch n time request from 2007 (just implemented into SDJ recently): serato.com

and the list goes on and on and on.
deejdave 6:19 PM - 17 November, 2014
Wait............... we are actively debating over SSL being far superior to SDJ in one thread serato.com but you then post all the things missing from it in another? Some of which SDJ has (PNT)

Listen there will always be feature requests. You are making it sound like in this FOUR YEAR period NOTHING has been done. Maybe it has been prioritized. I'm not even pretending SDJ is this PERFECT application. FAR from it actually. I am simply saying Serato as a team does a great job IMO. THIS ^^^ is your experience. My experience was different. Keeping things tru we did say CRUCIAL features and I wouldn't consier those important.

Also in fairness to Pitch n Time wasn't that introduced to SDJ AFTER the decision to cut SSL support was made? How much sense does it make to use resources on the application that will be a legacy app in two months time?

Keep in kind and I will repeat ONCE more. IMO SDJ is far from being the perfect SDJ solution. I feel it is WELL on its way though that is an opinion.

I also feel Serato as a team does an excellent job. THIS is also an opinion.

For me and my personal experiences SDJ is as solid as a rock............... THIS IS a fact.
deejdave 6:23 PM - 17 November, 2014
I will say here again as I was very pleasantly surprised how things went I do hope you find what you are looking for in SDJ as SSL's support has a two month expiration on it. IF you find SSL still works best for you though by all means use it. SSL will work today AND tomorrow as it did yesterday.
I truly mean that. I would love nothing more than to be welcomed to a day at the forums seeing rainbows & butterflies LMAO. I know this is not reasonable but I do hope it all works out for you.

P.S> Thanks for keeping it civil. Yet AGAIN proving to mature individuals can disagree to the ends of the earth on something YET be courteous and respectful towards eachother........
deejdave 6:25 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Keeping things tru we did say CRUCIAL features and I wouldn't consier those important.

I should remind that this is personally and I would NOT dare try to tell you what's what for your needs.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:37 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Wait............... we are actively debating over SSL being far superior to SDJ in one thread serato.com but you then post all the things missing from it in another? Some of which SDJ has (PNT)

no , not at all... we were talking about about serato being slow to implement feature requests by users. you said i was wrong about my assessment and preceeded by showing examples of bug reports being resolved.... you have yet to show where Serato has been quick to implement a feature requested by its users. (which is where you said i was wrong)
deejdave 7:34 PM - 17 November, 2014
It's a tough question to answer. You are neglecting the fact that ANY given feature request MUST prove to be generally "wanted" by the community at large. It must also be coded. It must also be tested for bugs. This includes any and ALL setups. Keep in mind there are a great deal of people (the word veteran's comes to mind) who expect everything to work with the same stuff they have used since day one. Yet they want to add & add disregarding many things added takes even more away from the stability & integrity of the software and ADDING to the requirements to run said software. I don't personally have an ongoing list of features and time it took to implement them, no. Again I remind that the word crucial is ......................... crucial and used very loosely here IMO. Are you implying ANY of the examples you gave are in any way crucial?

Auto-play was implemented pretty fast off-hand. Asked for by a few at first and when it built momentum it was added.
deejdave 7:34 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Are you implying ANY of the examples you gave are in any way crucial?

Useful no doubt but crucial?
DJ Remix Detroit 7:43 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
It's a tough question to answer. You are neglecting the fact that ANY given feature request MUST prove to be generally "wanted" by the community at large. It must also be coded. It must also be tested for bugs. This includes any and ALL setups. Keep in mind there are a great deal of people (the word veteran's comes to mind) who expect everything to work with the same stuff they have used since day one. Yet they want to add & add disregarding many things added takes even more away from the stability & integrity of the software and ADDING to the requirements to run said software. I don't personally have an ongoing list of features and time it took to implement them, no. Again I remind that the word crucial is ......................... crucial and used very loosely here IMO. Are you implying ANY of the examples you gave are in any way crucial?

Auto-play was implemented pretty fast off-hand. Asked for by a few at first and when it built momentum it was added.

ok, but how does that still make me wrong for saying Serato has a very slow track record when it comes to implementing user feature requests?

there is always going to be the exception... of course..... but if we look through all of the features ever requested since SSL began all the way through to now, including Itch and SDJ.... the majority of feature requests from users have taken over 2 yrs to implement.
deejdave 7:53 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
the majority of feature requests from users have taken over 2 yrs to implement.

I would certainly hope they put some though into changes..................... especially when it changes EVERYTHING for EVERYONE. I guess we have a definition discrepancies of "crucial" as well as "slow" or "long" as applied here. I've seen both ways. Then again who decides what is long or what is crucial. All I ask is you try to recognize the fact that for every individual with issues there could be four, five, or ten with NONE. You/I would NEVER know. There were MILLIONS of downloads of SSL. DO you think they all had issues with SSL. Do you think everyone has issues with SDJ? Again by no coincidence (and I hope you are reading between the lines here) of any kind all four of my laptops work as intended with SDJ as well as all my hardware of which there is a LOT of so many chances for things to go wrong. If I can do it I am thinking so can anyone else.

Out of curiosity what are the specs of your MacBook? I have a few and may have one close to yours as a fair comparison. Not looking to replace the troubleshooting or support offered by the Serato team though which is (again IMO) second to none.
deejdave 7:56 PM - 17 November, 2014
Actually scratch that. Not to be mean. I just feel like we could do everyone here a solid and squash for now. It is not like we are discussing anything that has not been disused before.

In closing I will say again I hope you are able to work through your issues with SDJ and get things where they need to be. Good luck.
DJ Remix Detroit 8:16 PM - 17 November, 2014
well, i found the solution to my problem, Mavericks and Yosemite weren't doing the trick so I jumped back to Mountain Lion, and wa-la... dropouts gone (except for the initial dropout that happened when i activated the DVS Expansion Pack): serato.com

but again SSL is rock solid with anything I throw at it.... oh well. I got my AMX working and I'm off to GC to grab 2 AFX's.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:59 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
well, i found the solution to my problem, Mavericks and Yosemite weren't doing the trick so I jumped back to Mountain Lion, and wa-la... dropouts gone (except for the initial dropout that happened when i activated the DVS Expansion Pack): serato.com

Try the new beta build we're uploading in a couple hours. We found and fixed a CRUCIAL dropout issue. It's actually been there for a while but has become a lot more prevalent in Yosemite (we think). If you've experienced dropouts in the past jump on this new build and give us some feedback. I'm worried it'll be too stable actually.
DJ Remix Detroit 10:19 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
We found and fixed a CRUCIAL dropout issue.

no way.... According to Matt P. it was my "fear of the unkown" that was causing the issue.....lol

Thanks Logan D, I'll be sure to jump on it. I still have all three partitions on that HDD so i'll test all three out and post the results in the beta section.
djattila 10:27 PM - 17 November, 2014
tracking this....
DJ Remix Detroit 10:27 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
I'm worried it'll be too stable actually.

lmao.... then all you guys will have to do is invent another Serato software to screw up the stability again...lol j/k
wadup 10:55 PM - 17 November, 2014
Seems like you were very happy with ssl....
Quote:
Quote:
I'm worried it'll be too stable actually.

lmao.... then all you guys will have to do is invent another Serato software to screw up the stability again...lol j/k
musiclee 10:58 PM - 17 November, 2014
So Serato

You mention a few AFX tweaks, additions etc
Will there be anything new for AMX,?

Could it even use any tweaks to improve?
Allow us to use Thru and channel at same time?
So I can have iPad plugged and "live" at all times?
DJ Ed Wong 11:47 PM - 17 November, 2014
@musiclee

Nice ideas - post em in a new thread on requests!
zoomwire 12:11 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:

Also +1

It would be also great, if you could use shift + FX select + parameter knob for selecting the effect. Its a bit annoying to press the FX select button several times.

Btw. Could anyone explain me the xfade rev switch on the amx? I'm only deejaying techno and can't think for any reason why you want such a switch.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:46 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Btw. Could anyone explain me the xfade rev switch on the amx? I'm only deejaying techno and can't think for any reason why you want such a switch.

There are a great amount of Dj's that use Hamster style scratching. Its an important feature for this user base (many pro dj's actually scratch hamster). Its been included on every major scratch mixer since way back when.

Matt P
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:52 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
no way.... According to Matt P. it was my "fear of the unkown" that was causing the issue.....lol

It was. Don't be scared man!

Quote:
Thanks Logan D, I'll be sure to jump on it. I still have all three partitions on that HDD so i'll test all three out and post the results in the beta section.

Awesome that'd be good feedback, thanks.

Quote:

This time we'll make it so that the old software still works while we're working on the new one. Wait..

Quote:
You mention a few AFX tweaks, additions etc
Will there be anything new for AMX,?

One tweak I know of and something that Chris mentioned in the review which is making the BPM adjustment more fine. I believe it'll adjust by .1 BPM rather than .3BPM.
Any other improvements we're all ears! Not sure if allowing THRU and the channel at the same time is a good idea though IMO.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:53 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
It would be also great, if you could use shift + FX select + parameter knob for selecting the effect. Its a bit annoying to press the FX select button several times.

I think what would be easier is to just make it so that SHIFT + FX KNOB scrolls through effects. That way you only need two hands! It's a small mapping update that we've been considering making for all hardware, as only some work like that now.
dibb 3:45 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That helps, but I found I often hit the limiter in SDJ. There's only so much volume you can pump out from the software.

I think I may have found a solution for the limited output volume:

Connect the AMX through a powered USB hub. The difference in output volume is staggering. I must add that I use a Plugable hub with BC 1.1 charging, but I'm curious to hear if it also works with other hubs.

For the other two issues mentioned by phatbob (great review btw):

- The pitch adjust resolution is definitely a problem. It's in steps of 0.4 in stead of 0.3. But probably an easy fix for Serato. A "nice to have" extra would be another pitch adjust method for bigger steps, by using Search + Gain-knobs maybe? :)

- I don't own an AFX yet, but if the proposed Twitch-like scrubbing is implemented, I would buy one immediately. I did own a Twitch before and that feature made it useable without any platters.

All in all I can confirm that the AMX it's a great device.
dibb 6:03 PM - 18 November, 2014
* I meant "...rather than 0.3". It should be 0.1 or even less.
katmoda 8:24 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Plugable hub with BC 1.1

May i ask what make/model i step powered hub?

TIA

:)
dibb 8:37 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:

Sure, but I can't put a link out here, coz that'll be "spam".

Let's just say it's a 4-port usb hub by Plugable, which I ordered from A for around £ 21.
katmoda 8:40 PM - 18 November, 2014
ahh gotcha... I did't think of that!
and thanks very much! :)
DJ Ed Wong 8:44 PM - 18 November, 2014
Is there a way to quantify the improvement?

I presume "Peak to Peak" voltage levels on the RCA output?

(I dont have a scope at home; I do have a decent DVM, I wonder if that can work)
dibb 9:04 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Is there a way to quantify the improvement?

I presume "Peak to Peak" voltage levels on the RCA output?

Yep, I can quantify this a bit more detailed:

I've run the AMX through my Ecler NUO 2.0 and can see a clear diff in output on the VU-leds of my Ecler.

I've checked that the track led's in the SW are "against the limiter" in both cases:
- without powered usb: around -20 dB
- with power: -4 dB

Even the recordings within SDJ seem to be louder with USB power.
DJ Remix Detroit 9:16 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Connect the AMX through a powered USB hub.

great find on this one... I'll def have to try this out.
dibb 9:22 PM - 18 November, 2014
Thanks, and please report back..
deejdave 9:25 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think I may have found a solution for the limited output volume:

Connect the AMX through a powered USB hub. The difference in output volume is staggering. I must add that I use a Plugable hub with BC 1.1 charging, but I'm curious to hear if it also works with other hubs.

For the other two issues mentioned by phatbob (great review btw):

- The pitch adjust resolution is definitely a problem. It's in steps of 0.4 in stead of 0.3. But probably an easy fix for Serato. A "nice to have" extra would be another pitch adjust method for bigger steps, by using Search + Gain-knobs maybe? :)

- I don't own an AFX yet, but if the proposed Twitch-like scrubbing is implemented, I would buy one immediately. I did own a Twitch before and that feature made it useable without any platters.

All in all I can confirm that the AMX it's a great device.

Curious to see how this works out on a larger scale as it is directly recommended to avoid plugging the main Serato hardware/interface into any kind of USB hub, powered or passive.

NICE find though.
DJ Remix Detroit 9:29 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Thanks, and please report back..

sure thing.
dibb 9:32 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Curious to see how this works out on a larger scale as it is directly recommended to avoid plugging the main Serato hardware/interface into any kind of USB hub, powered or passive.

NICE find though.

Yes, I'm also very curious.. So.. I've tested some more, and this you might also find interesting:

When running SDJ though the AMX and I add my VCI-400 to the equation,
it just works: Platters and everything.. AMX>sound, VCI>midi-control. Pretty nice..

Of course, not for your main-live-rig, but good to know.. ;)
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:37 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Let's just say it's a 4-port usb hub by Plugable, which I ordered from A for around £ 21.

Please post the link man. Not spam if its helpful :)
deejdave 9:38 PM - 18 November, 2014
This is actually a pretty common thing. Especially lately. DJ's using two Wego at the same time controlling all four channels!! Some on these very forums using Numark NS7II AND V7's at the same time, Even some prior to this with the VCI's. Quite a few anomalies with the VCI's actually.

Not to burst anyone's bubble but Serato is usually pretty quick to squash even though they themselves are usually very interested in the find.
Quote:
Of course, not for your main-live-rig, but good to know.. ;)

Absolutely. Always fun to play around in uncharted territories and pretty much make discoveries. As I am sure it was not intentionally done this way I am willing to guess you may be one of the first to have figured this out......................... again great work!!

I am going to try connecting the AMX tonight combined with my other gear. ONE is bound to work in a similar fashion. As useless as it may be for me it is still a pretty cool concept!!
dibb 9:41 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Please post the link man. Not spam if its helpful :)

Ok, here you go: www.amazon.co.uk

..not to say it doesn't work with a normal powered usb hub. I just found this one coz it charges your iOS device..
dibb 9:51 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
As I am sure it was not intentionally done this way I am willing to guess you may be one of the first to have figured this out......................... again great work!!

Spot on! I figured this out while I was trying to configure the smallest and cheapest DVS system on the market: AMX, iOS, IPhone, DJ Player + SL 1210. :)

Next update of DJ Player for iOS hopefully will make that happen:

getsatisfaction.com
deejdave 9:58 PM - 18 November, 2014
BIG fan of DJ player. NOT many apps that read Serato cue points let alone iOS apps that do. VERY welcomed news indeed.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:03 PM - 19 November, 2014
Hey so just to jump back to some spec discussion. What do you guys think would work best for you in terms of adding 'scrub/platter' functionality to the AFX touchstrip?

Quote:
• When in PITCH or SEARCH mode, SHIFT + touchstrip performs the scrub

This is two ways I can see it working. My reasoning for the first option is that for the most part I think you want to scrub when the track is paused to get you in the correct starting position, and once it's playing the next thing you want to do is often nudge, so it works nice with this workflow. Djkom suggested the second option but actually making the scrub the primary action and the 'search' the Shift option. The only problem I see there is that it's already silkscreened this way and could therefore be a little dangerous?

Any other opinions on this? I personally think that for the scrubbing to be of actual value at a gig it needs to be accessible without shift so you can do it with one hand.
Djkom 10:06 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
Hey so just to jump back to some spec discussion. What do you guys think would work best for you in terms of adding 'scrub/platter' functionality to the AFX touchstrip?

Quote:
• When in PITCH or SEARCH mode, SHIFT + touchstrip performs the scrub

This is two ways I can see it working. My reasoning for the first option is that for the most part I think you want to scrub when the track is paused to get you in the correct starting position, and once it's playing the next thing you want to do is often nudge, so it works nice with this workflow. Djkom suggested the second option but actually making the scrub the primary action and the 'search' the Shift option. The only problem I see there is that it's already silkscreened this way and could therefore be a little dangerous?

Any other opinions on this? I personally think that for the scrubbing to be of actual value at a gig it needs to be accessible without shift so you can do it with one hand.

Yes the scrubbing should be accessible without shift, as you pointed out the slikscreen could be an "issue", but in fact scrub is kind of search also, no?

Thes eAkai strips does not allow multitouch features like the Twitch ones? Because in this case, no need of shift in search mode for the scrub, a two-fingers touch could replace it...

Finallly if the shift is really needed because of other constraints (led bars display..Etc), it's not that big a deal to use it for the scrub...
dibb 10:24 PM - 19 November, 2014
The scrub function should definitely be accessible without shift.

If scrubbing is only enabled on pause, you lack the possibility to play a track and fast forward it which is actually pretty useful when searching your cue point. Also when playing a track and performing a fast scrub to the left, you could simulate a backspin.

The Twitch had / has a pretty good implementation (only used it in Itch).

I would say, put the scrub function under search and enable the strip search with shift.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:35 PM - 19 November, 2014
Quote:
Thes eAkai strips does not allow multitouch features like the Twitch ones? Because in this case, no need of shift in search mode for the scrub, a two-fingers touch could replace it...

I'm not sure that they do. My concern with this is that, while it sounds good in theory, realistically it would be quite dangerous - if you didn't put your two fingers down at the exact same time it would perform a needle drop instead. Also the touchstrip itself is tiny, my fingers barely fit next to each other on it :*(

Quote:
I would say, put the scrub function under search and enable the strip search with shift.

Thanks dibb, good feedback. I agree with your reasoning too.
Mr Wilks 1:40 AM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
My concern with this is that, while it sounds good in theory, realistically it would be quite dangerous - if you didn't put your two fingers down at the exact same time it would perform a needle drop instead. Also the touchstrip itself is tiny, my fingers barely fit next to each other on it :*(

+1 After playing on one at BPM I'm 100% with you on this.

As a non-owner yet (but will pick one up next week) I'd be horrified to have an accident while playing. I'm already spitting feathers at the touchstrip on the SX1 not being locked while playing and inadvertently letting my finger brush it while I grab the 'filter dub echo' encoder in a dark booth.

Shift when scrubbing gets my vote (for a product I don't yet own!). Accidents do happen and minimising them is less of a headache in dark clubs. I get too carried away in the booth and any help here is a bonus.

I'm also a sucker for standards. I like things to work in a similar fashion on different gear so a shift + touchstrip works the same on a CDJ/SZ as it does the Akai units.

Just my 2p (that's probably not valid due to not owning one quite yet).
Mr Wilks 1:44 AM - 20 November, 2014
Oh, and fantastic review Chris. I watched it the video the other day and confirmed my experiences at BPM.

I just wish we could have a Serato Video layer or let us remap. I need an FX controller for SV for my SX.
deejdave 3:15 AM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
I just wish we could have a Serato Video layer or let us remap

yes YES!!
deejdave 3:15 AM - 20 November, 2014
Well actually more like just a second layer. Not really interested in video but some customization is in order.....
dibb 7:56 AM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:

Thanks dibb, good feedback. I agree with your reasoning too.

Or, maybe an even better option is to add a second layer to the Search mode (like the performance pads have):
- press Search once for scrubbing
- press Search again for strip search (indicate this mode by flashing the search knob led)
This way no need for shift at all.

Quote:
Accidents do happen and minimising them is less of a headache in dark clubs. I get too carried away in the booth and any help here is a bonus.

100% agreed. But if scrubbing is under shift, then needle search would be the default mode. I wonder what accident would be bigger (unwanted scrub vs accidental needle search)... ; )
dibb 8:14 AM - 20 November, 2014
I don't know if scrubbing / needle search might be considered as "Playback Keys". A strip is hardly a key, but both functionalities are related to transport control.

A possible solution for accidents with these modes is that if you enable the "Playback Keys Use Shift" option under Control Preferences, you also need shift to scrub / needle search.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:18 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
100% agreed. But if scrubbing is under shift, then needle search would be the default mode. I wonder what accident would be bigger (unwanted scrub vs accidental needle search)... ; )

Spoiler alert - we may very well have a 'Lock Needle Search during Playback' software feature soon ;)
deejdave 2:20 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Spoiler alert - we may very well have a 'Lock Needle Search during Playback' software feature soon ;)

Good stuff. I don't think I have accidentally hit a needle search on any of my devices to date (and almost all have them) but the feature is welcomed.
DJ Ed Wong 2:22 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:

I guess that now that I returned the NDX500 (wasn't really working for what I do as a DJ), I ought to get a AFX...
Mr Wilks 2:25 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Amen brother!

My SX will send you beer money as a token of your gratitude.
zoomwire 3:46 AM - 21 November, 2014
If you connect the AFX while a track is playing on deck 1 the track gets restarted to the beginning. Could you please fix it? :)
deejdave 3:52 AM - 21 November, 2014
May I ask WHY you would be connecting hardware in the MIDDLE of a song/set? If anything this sounds like a good preventative measure to keep people from doing this.
Ragman 5:09 AM - 21 November, 2014
Reminds me of that famous line from Tommy on the "Martin Lawrence Show".

"Cole... You stoopid!"

Sorry. I couldn't help myself... Can't believe he's asking for it to be fixed.
deejdave 5:14 AM - 21 November, 2014
I am having trouble accepting this one myself. At least someone I trust responded on this as I was TRULY believing I was just misunderstanding what hes was asking for. Now I know I read it correctly at least...................... now what? LOL
phatbob 1:06 PM - 21 November, 2014
I did notice that when reviewing the AFX, actually, but didn't think it was worth mentioning as it seems like an unlikely scenario.

Although, USB cables do get pulled out by accident sometimes. I knocked a Midi Fighter right off the stage at one gig... (got a bit over excited).

It's just a bit odd, as no other hardware seems to do it - I can hot plug my SP1 without issue.
Mr Wilks 1:13 PM - 21 November, 2014
Agreed. I think hot plugging any midi controller shouldn't have an adverse effect on the music.

When I'm testing I hot plug between all my midi or audio devices and always forget that the Twitch causes a full system lockup and has to power cycle to get out of it.

Hot plugging shouldn't be done in a live situ but then again it shouldn't cause an issue like that.
katmoda 1:43 PM - 21 November, 2014
Just to chime in (not related to the AFX) if I power off my V7's before closing SDJ, SDJ hangs.. It always has so I just don't do that anymore. But I can see where if an accident occurs the restarting of a track when AFX is unplugged (for any reason) is dangerous and not required..
DJ Ed Wong 2:05 PM - 21 November, 2014
To some extent - the plugging in reminds me of the issue of switching over a device with a pitch "slider"
If the pitch slider is set "all they way to the end" (say fast) on deck 1 and then you switch the unit to deck 2 - what does Serato do to the pitch on deck 2?

(I sent my NDX500 back, so I can no longer test this, and its why I think a "touch strip" with LEDs along side to indicated position makes more sense than a physical slider when dealing with a unit that can be mapped to different decks when in use)

I guess what I am getting at - is how does the communication protocol work and what would the "code" have to look like to provide the "do not interrupt the music" option that the user is asking for?
My guess off hand is that it causes a different "latency" problem - how does the user know that the AFX is now "active" and usable?
dibb 2:31 PM - 21 November, 2014
Sorry, but I do have to get back on two statements I made on my previous post here regarding the output level difference of the AMX when plugged in to a powered hub:

1. The difference in output seemed to be around 16 dB (diff between -4 and -20 dB).

Well, I did some more precise testing and make that a 20 dB difference. To give it some more reference: Where the AMX with powered hub came to 0dB on my Ecler, my VCI-400 came to +2 dB, and the "non-powered" AMX to -20 dB. We're talking about peak levels of a 16 beat looped FLAC-file, with internal levels gained so that they just don't hit the limiter.

2. "Even the recordings seem to be louder...".

I can't reproduce this, so please forget this. It doesn't make sense either, since recording is done purely within the software.

I just wanna be precise here.. ;)
DJ Ed Wong 2:48 PM - 21 November, 2014
thanks @dibb for the update and clarification...

I wonder then if the USB input voltages are different and the output is simply mirroring a larger input voltage on the supply side...

BTW - I recall looking for the "AMX must be plugged into the computer and not a hub" statement, and did not see anything to that effect in the User Manual. I may have over looked it however.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:09 PM - 21 November, 2014
i think the issue with the hubs is the lack of power with unpowered hubs. i haven't read anyone having issues with powered hubs.

i plugged my AMX into a powered hub and the sound really jumped. so now i've turned my master volume in SDJ back to 50%
deejdave 3:58 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
BTW - I recall looking for the "AMX must be plugged into the computer and not a hub" statement, and did not see anything to that effect in the User Manual. I may have over looked it however.

It is just generally known and more or less a Serato No-No since SSL support.serato.com
deejdave 4:06 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
It's just a bit odd, as no other hardware seems to do it - I can hot plug my SP1 without issue.

I have quite a few devices that will cause a hang or crash even when hot plugged. Then again they ALL have the Serato Interface within and the music would cut from the PA the second I remove them from the setup anyways.

I CAN hot plug all my OA's including the AFX, SP1, CDJ-2000Nexus's even. If I remember correctly no restart of the song happens. I found all these out on accident though through MASSIVE testing rants. Again I would NEVER want to do this and absolutely has no place in a live situation. THAT'S just it though................... the second Serato caters to this and makes it "OK" as OK on THEIR end with THEIR MacBook Pro's there WILL be (I don't care what ANYONE says here it'll happen) those coming back and saying "IT IS SUPPORTED and it CRASHED my set last night" on their "setup". Not sure if you have seen some of these "setups" in some clubs but I use the term "setup"loosely.

Again to me it seems like a nice preventative measure to prevent people from wanting to do this live. Out of curiosity is there any reason (other than curiosity) why this feaure would have a real place in anything BUT a test situation?
dibb 5:47 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Out of curiosity is there any reason (other than curiosity) why this feaure would have a real place in anything BUT a test situation?

Maybe a DJ-takeover on a Rane 64 / SL 4 (or any other Serato audio device with dual USB port). DJ 2 wants to plugin his or her AFX while the last song is playing from DJ 1..? :)
dibb 5:53 PM - 21 November, 2014
..but that will probably work just fine since DJ 2 should plugin AFX in his computer first and then connect to second USB port of mixer / box..
dibb 6:39 PM - 21 November, 2014
This one is nice as well:

as expected, when I first connect my VCI-400, and then the AMX..
...the AMX is a midi-controller !
dibb 6:47 PM - 21 November, 2014
@Serato: if you could make hot-(un)-plugging more stable, please do so..

maybe one time, I want to hot plug my (future) AFX in when one of my decks dies. would be nice if the music kept on going.. ;)
deejdave 7:20 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
This one is nice as well:

as expected, when I first connect my VCI-400, and then the AMX..
...the AMX is a midi-controller !

Not sure what you are asking for here but this ^^^ setup is not even supported by Serato. The fact that it works (I have heard) is pretty cool but I wouldn't get TOO used to it as Serato will probably squash in upcoming update as the 400 AND AMX are BOTH native SDj interfaces.
Quote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity is there any reason (other than curiosity) why this feaure would have a real place in anything BUT a test situation?

Maybe a DJ-takeover on a Rane 64 / SL 4 (or any other Serato audio device with dual USB port). DJ 2 wants to plugin his or her AFX while the last song is playing from DJ 1..? :)

DJ B should have his own laptop which would have his AFX (or other midi controller) plugged in ready to go................ I would think
Quote:
@Serato: if you could make hot-(un)-plugging more stable, please do so..

maybe one time, I want to hot plug my (future) AFX in when one of my decks dies. would be nice if the music kept on going.. ;)

This is certainly an interesting request. Maybe I am just not as daring as some here as this seems like too risky of behavior for me even if it WAS supported. If there is a USB cable issue you will find out when you plug the unit in. Even with support this would be a possible disaster while performing live.

Plainly put in live situations whatever I am going to use for the performance is plugged in already and even had a brief test through to ensure it is working properly. The ONLY time I would hot plug/unplug is in practice or just playing around situations in which I could care less about the music stopping.

Again this is just me. I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade and if hot plugging is normal use for you more power to you.
dibb 7:35 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
This is certainly an interesting request. Maybe I am just not as daring as some here as this seems like too risky of behavior for me even if it WAS supported.

deejdave, I agree with you when you say you should properly prepare whenever you are going to perform. I'm also not asking for official support from Serato on this one.

I was asking because sometimes you have emergency situations when hot-(un)plugging is just inevitable. In those cases it would be nice if audio kept on working.
dibb 7:51 PM - 21 November, 2014
I see many applications for the AMX / AFX;
as you do, my primary application now is a nice bed-side serato controller..

but I see both units also as perfect backup devices for main-gig-live situations.
especially then you want stability.

and talking about backup scenario's: what if your laptop dies? that's why I'm talking with Gabor of DJ Player now and testing out his beta-build to support the AMX. that's a hell-of-a-backup-combo, which is also DVS compatible. :)
dibb 8:19 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Not sure what you are asking for here but this ^^^ setup is not even supported by Serato. The fact that it works (I have heard) is pretty cool but I wouldn't get TOO used to it as Serato will probably squash in upcoming update as the 400 AND AMX are BOTH native SDj interfaces.

I'm also asking Serato here, not to "squash it" in their code, but on the contrary, to make it more stable. I'm still very patient about them opening up midi-mapping (I don't really need it), but if they ever will, stability of plugging in and out extra midi controllers, would be nice, no?
dibb 9:01 PM - 21 November, 2014
@Serato:

Isn't time to open up an "Akai Hardware Help" section under "Serato DJ Discussion"?

It's getting hard to keep posts in this thread related to the OP.
deejdave 10:57 PM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
@Serato:

Isn't time to open up an "Akai Hardware Help" section under "Serato DJ Discussion"?

Agreed.

Quote:
I'm also asking Serato here, not to "squash it" in their code, but on the contrary, to make it more stable. I'm still very patient about them opening up midi-mapping (I don't really need it), but if they ever will, stability of plugging in and out extra midi controllers, would be nice, no?

As much as I agree with you (and I DO) it is not what is being asked here but what will most likely happen that matters. It is simply their policy (for now) in terms of native devices.

As I said I am not trying to stop anything just more or less give the other angle on things is all. As I said the concern I have which creates the 100% certainty that I would NEVER hot plug in a live situation is the risk. Whether it be unexpected incompatibility (unforeseeable by Serato) OR faulty gear (again unforeseeable by Serato) there are situations in which no amount of support could prevent. That being said I will always do my connecting/plugging prior to a live set. In terms of switching DJ's or anything it is not my concern I suppose.

Again by all means go for it. Just giving my take on it is all :) Carry on..................

As you said though. AKAI section is in dire need.
dibb 11:03 PM - 21 November, 2014
;)
DJ Ed Wong 12:41 AM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
@Serato:

+1
DJ Remix Detroit 4:02 AM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
@Serato:

+1

serato.com