Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

LIBRARY MANAGEMENT TOOLS BUILT INTO SERATO

djchrischip 8:51 PM - 9 October, 2010
1. AUDIO/ VIDEO SCANNER...
A Tool that will scan all your audio files, and by a "tag word search/ analysis" determine which audio files you do/ do NOT have videos for...
Output results as a file which maybe printed/ copy and pasted etc
ALSO offer a check box function once added

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION
A Tool in which by percentage of like words in the entire tag will group tracks together... then also incorporate a way to get rid of unwanted tracks...

<i have more ideas... do get at me personally through PM/ email/ phone conversations>

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
INTERNET BASED SEARCH WITHIN THE SERATO COMMUNITY DATABASE, GOOGLE< DISCOCOGS ETC.
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>
<HAVE AN IDEA, for an internet based search to fill in certain tags, etc>

5. KEY DETECTION
<IE MIXED IN KEY>

6. A FEW OTHER LITTLE IDEAS
LIKE A SYSTEM TO HELP PEOPLE CRATE THEIR FILES AND PUT THEM INTO FOLDERS IMMEDIATELY

I WANT TO BASICALLY TURN SERATO INTO A 1 STOP LIBRARY MANAGEMENT TOOL
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:04 PM - 9 October, 2010
+1

I was just thinking the other day, that what I want in new features the most is to better manage the music library and better sound quality (scratching, keylock)

[[[[[[KEY DETECTION]]]]] <-simple feature that will help all DJs sound better.
djchrischip 9:30 PM - 9 October, 2010
Quote:
+1

I was just thinking the other day, that what I want in new features the most is to better manage the music library and better sound quality (scratching, keylock)

[[[[[[KEY DETECTION]]]]] <-simple feature that will help all DJs sound better.

+1 to all my ideas plz :)

@ the serato staff

plz I'm desperate here, i really could use these features and will do almost anything to help you guys develop, test, and market the program (as i have since lik 06) to non serato users

:D
vio0633 9:43 PM - 9 October, 2010
A duplicate finder would really be helpful! Great suggestions DJ Chrischip!
djchrischip 10:09 PM - 9 October, 2010
Quote:
A duplicate finder would really be helpful! Great suggestions DJ Chrischip!

sincerely welcome
plz ppl reach out to ur friends on the forum n serato users in general... i have a great few ideas and serato WILL NOT ever put a feature in unless
1. OVER 85% of users show or express interest in it
2. AND like 50% of users will help beta test that feture

<i did exxagerate the percentages by alot to stress the importance of forum participation;)>
djchrischip 11:31 PM - 9 October, 2010
2. DUPLICATE DETECTION
A Tool in which by percentage of like words in the entire tag will group tracks together... then also incorporate a way to get rid of unwanted tracks...

<i have more ideas... do get at me personally through PM/ email/ phone conversations>

within a tag, the program should scan 4 similar words,
then group the results... 4 example if 85% of the tag is the same/ similar uses the same words it should be grouped
djchrischip 11:32 PM - 9 October, 2010
ie...
Girls Just Want to Have Fun- Cyndi Lauper...
IF file has say girls have fun, cyndi should be included in the group
djchrischip 1:00 AM - 10 October, 2010
like idk exactly how to explain it but it might help with certain misspelled <bad tagged> etc duplicates
Bigga Bounce Ent 3:35 AM - 10 October, 2010
+1 I could use this as well.
djchrischip 6:20 PM - 10 October, 2010
Quote:
+1 I could use this as well.

thanks 4 ur +1 bigga spread the word plz amongst ur dj friends
nik39 6:46 PM - 10 October, 2010
Quote:
2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

then group the results... 4 example if 85% of the tag is the same/ similar uses the same words it should be grouped

Funny, I thought about adding something similar to ScratchTools. Promixity/similiarity of words.
Exact dupe detection has already been added. (helps finding same filenames right now)
Bigga Bounce Ent 6:46 PM - 10 October, 2010
will do!
djchrischip 7:25 PM - 10 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

Funny, I thought about adding something similar to ScratchTools. Promixity/similiarity of words.
Exact dupe detection has already been added. (helps finding same filenames right now)

nik with all due respect i dont use outside tools ONLY for the simple fact they could adversly affect my serato playback stability n performance <i dont even use itunes>

plz dont take it as a diss... my friend steve just had problems after adding some tools idk which 1z
Res-Q 7:41 PM - 10 October, 2010
I dont use itunes either, I use Serato for managing my whole library. I think all your ideas are great chris, my favourite is #1.
Being able to know what video I gotta look for and erase audio duplicates of my videos, as well as adding overlays to audio where no video is available.
djchrischip 7:53 PM - 10 October, 2010
thanks res q...

SERATO ppl

we r gettin momentum in our feature requests... plz start considering it...

k thanks :)
nik39 8:10 PM - 10 October, 2010
Quote:
nik with all due respect i dont use outside tools ONLY for the simple fact they could adversly affect my serato playback stability n performance <i dont even use itunes>

plz dont take it as a diss.

No offense taken ;) A lot of other users use ScratchTools. So I will add new features.
djchrischip 8:53 PM - 10 October, 2010
dope man... i mean i hope serato incorporates some of ur code into the program so u make something off it
Res-Q 9:02 PM - 10 October, 2010
^^^Serato should!
nik's been on ScratchTools for a long time, and I see a lot of people us it here on the forum. I'm not a user though because when I first learned about it, I thought it would be difficult for me to us it as I'm not a computer expert.
If SL incorporates it I figure it will be much easier on SL's gui.
djchrischip 11:15 PM - 10 October, 2010
Quote:
^^^Serato should!
nik's been on ScratchTools for a long time, and I see a lot of people us it here on the forum. I'm not a user though because when I first learned about it, I thought it would be difficult for me to us it as I'm not a computer expert.
If SL incorporates it I figure it will be much easier on SL's gui.

DEF FOR SURE <YES IM SHOUTING IM EXCITED (NO HARD ON)>
stevie o 12:13 AM - 11 October, 2010
library management should be the first priority and a stable product...

good stuff chris

good times
djchrischip 12:17 AM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
library management should be the first priority and a stable product...

good stuff chris

good times

well they were even better times around SSL 1.9.2, or 1.7.4
they didn't crash :)
djchrischip 12:18 AM - 11 October, 2010
n so @ serato staff/developers... idea is on the market for few days on a holiday weekend n ppl r really feeling it... Any word on when we can start developing the tools?
DJMark 3:30 AM - 11 October, 2010
Seems like this kind of better library management would be top priority, since I've seen some recent posts from Rane/Serato tech support that specifically recommended NOT using iTunes...
WarpNote 6:29 AM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:

Nik, I'd beta test that feature any day :D
Something that would make you choose to either just delete the dupes,
or make a "dupe-crate".....

It would also make a powerful tool for finding different versions of a song
ie: the cover versions, that obscure original, edits, remixes, acapellas, etc...
dj_phonetic 7:29 AM - 11 October, 2010
And maybe this
serato.com
djchrischip 9:40 AM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
Seems like this kind of better library management would be top priority, since I've seen some recent posts from Rane/Serato tech support that specifically recommended NOT using iTunes...

me likee :)
djchrischip 6:29 PM - 11 October, 2010
update
DIRECT QUOTE FROM AN EMPLOYEE

library management is on the top of the list of things to develop...

likely when 3.0 comes out they will incorporate better library management

but at tht rate 3.0 might not come out till 2012
djchrischip 6:31 PM - 11 October, 2010
but he said to keep pushing the idea within the forum if its near unanimous ppl they will include it n spend time to develop it
nik39 6:37 PM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:

lol.

Who said that?
djchrischip 6:39 PM - 11 October, 2010
one of the ppl at tech support... n its "likely" n il give u a hint he is a mod on the forum
djchrischip 6:40 PM - 11 October, 2010
but here is a quote by tomato slice in another thread so i kinda got mixed rumors

well, here is an update.

ALL NEW FEATURES FOR SERATO AND VSL HAVE BEEN HALTED.

there are good reasons for this.
like Millz has pointed out, all coding is pointing to the bridge,
they are knocking out all bugs with the bridge and ssl before moving on to vsl.
if an update, like 2.2, comes out more than likely it will be a bug fix.

serato DOES have time lines to their work. i have gathered that for awhile based on release patters. they just don't officially tell us.
the current date to get the bridge worked out is january of 2011.

assuming all bugs are fixed with ssl by january, testing will then begin to incorporate vsl with the bridge.
this all means that no new features for vsl can be expected until after january and only after vsl works with the bridge.

i have a lot more information but most of it does not involve the subjects in this thread.
nik39 6:54 PM - 11 October, 2010
*Yawn*

Links or it didn't happen ;)
djchrischip 7:18 PM - 11 October, 2010
serato.com

last post
djchrischip 7:19 PM - 11 October, 2010
A Tool that will scan all your audio files, and by a "tag word search/ analysis" determine which audio files you do/ do NOT have videos for...

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
INTERNET BASED SEARCH WITHIN THE SERATO COMMUNITY DATABASE, GOOGLE< DISCOCOGS ETC.
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
<IE MIXED IN KEY>

MY IDEAS ADD YOUR INDIVIDUAL +1s plz
nik39 7:54 PM - 11 October, 2010
You're starting to repeat yourself ;)
djchrischip 8:04 PM - 11 October, 2010
lol i didnt want ppl to have to read the whole thread lol
DJ Sound Technique 4:22 AM - 12 October, 2010
A dupe finder in serato would be great, I use this for now: www.vistanita.com
even though it is a external program, it works pretty good!
djchrischip 4:23 AM - 12 October, 2010
Quote:
A dupe finder in serato would be great, I use this for now: www.vistanita.com
even though it is a external program, it works pretty good!

I want it in serato so bad!!
djchrischip 5:47 PM - 16 October, 2010
BUMP
djchrischip 4:58 PM - 20 October, 2010
BUMP

More than half of your message contains capital letters. To many forum users this means you are SHOUTING your message, and is considered bad forum etiquette.
djchrischip 3:45 PM - 25 October, 2010
BUMP plz :)

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
<IE MIXED IN KEY>
Lumber 9:10 AM - 26 October, 2010
+1 to all but

+1000 to something like "Mixed in Key".
I Think it would be a great emprovement to SSL.
Bigga Bounce Ent 1:42 PM - 26 October, 2010
Are they working on any of these suggestions yet?
djchrischip 4:54 PM - 26 October, 2010
NOT YET BIGGA, soon hopefully, we just have to get the word out to every1 on the forum n have every1 put their +1s

MORE SUPPORT we get, more effort they put

I'm willing to donate my time <between 5- 7 hours per week>, and a copy of my entire library as it stands to the serato staff to beta test with etc.

@ LUMBER tell all ur forum friends to add in their +1s bc the more support we get the more chance this has a chance of happening
djsparky 9:19 AM - 28 October, 2010
+100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0
00 for duplicate detection/elimination
djchrischip 12:53 PM - 28 October, 2010
Quote:
+100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00
00 for duplicate detection/elimination

thanks sparky 4 ur +1
plz try n hit up ur other dj friends within this forum n even some off of it
the more support we get with in this discussion the more likely we are to gettin served by serato

HERE IS THE LIST

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
<IE MIXED IN KEY>
djchrischip 9:02 PM - 1 November, 2010
BUMP (no cocaine)
credentia1 7:06 AM - 5 November, 2010
+1 definately

AND RANDOM PLAY for offline player
Dj_Roger 1:57 PM - 5 November, 2010
Quote:

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
[i]

+1 for this and especially the key detection
djchrischip 5:06 PM - 5 November, 2010
Quote:
+1 definately

AND RANDOM PLAY for offline player

i lik :)

Quote:
Quote:

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
[i]

+1 for this and especially the key detection

thanks 4 ur +1s guys i really need these features badly lol
BigBoiBBp 7:26 PM - 5 November, 2010
+1 to everything!

i really think i would be easier if serato would just aquire the maker of mixed in key.... that way we get platnium tools aswell....

but on a more serious note, i think serato should release a media manager. TOTALLY SEPERATE FROM SCRATCHLIVE AND ITCH! that way if there are bugs they dont interfere with either of the 2 softwares.
djchrischip 7:29 PM - 5 November, 2010
but plz they def have to do something... the response has been overwhelming and unanimous

SERATO MODS PAY ATTENTION

we really want these features :)

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
Bigga Bounce Ent 8:11 PM - 5 November, 2010
^^^ Yup
djchrischip 11:12 PM - 5 November, 2010
I am a little upset with the lack of MOD involvement in this thread... MODS plz weigh in ur opinions here on the likelihood tht these features might make there way into SL 3.0
smokeyjoe 8:41 PM - 7 November, 2010
Quote:

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
[i]

6. A FEW OTHER LITTLE IDEAS
LIKE A SYSTEM TO HELP PEOPLE CRATE THEIR FILES AND PUT THEM INTO FOLDERS IMMEDIATELY

I WANT TO BASICALLY TURN SERATO INTO A 1 STOP LIBRARY MANAGEMENT TOOL

Got to be honest most of these things are done better with other free programs or paid programs and you are moving ssl away from what it is intended to be. Nobody is asking mixed in key to be a dj software ?

So in summary I tunes used correctly will sort out most of the list and if you want Key Detection then stump up the cash and go to the professional mixed in key.

I WANT SERATO TO BASICALLY DJ WITH .

Can i just ask when you had vinyl did somebody else put them in order in the box for you?
stevie o 9:29 PM - 7 November, 2010
I cant believe Serato team hasnt made a tool to sync and manage library. Makes no sense to me. This shouldve been done in version 1.1 in 2004. I am wasting valuable time organizing and not practicing
djchrischip 9:43 PM - 7 November, 2010
Quote:
I cant believe Serato team hasnt made a tool to sync and manage library. Makes no sense to me. This shouldve been done in version 1.1 in 2004. I am wasting valuable time organizing and not practicing

+1

@ at smokey joe most people want better library management with in serato.
Bigga Bounce Ent 2:47 PM - 8 November, 2010
^^^+1 The more organized your library is, the better it is. I for one would rather have these functions built into serato rather than a 2nd party software. And not all of us use Itunes for organizing our music.
djchrischip 3:03 PM - 8 November, 2010
Quote:
^^^+1 The more organized your library is, the better it is. I for one would rather have these functions built into serato rather than a 2nd party software. And not all of us use Itunes for organizing our music.

+1 i don't use itunes SO SERATO PRETTY PLZ :)
djchrischip 3:18 PM - 8 November, 2010

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION

SERATO MODS WHAT ARE THE LIKELY HOOD OF GETTING EACH FEATURE?
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:03 PM - 8 November, 2010
you don't have to keep posting the same thing over and over again. That's not going to make these show up faster.

The first 4 can already be done in itunes and many other programs. I guarantee that you can learn those other programs faster than these features will show up in the next version of Scratch Live. Organization is critical. Don't wait for SSL to add features to organize.

1. Audio/video scanner -
itUnes will sort your videos either into a separate area or with all your mp3s. You can use this and smart playlists to find all your songs that you have videos for. I'm deleting MP3s if I have the MP4 all the time, they show up right next to each other.

2. Duplicate detector -
Itunes has a simple one. Media Rage has a better one.

3. Album Art - itunes with an add-on script will put all files with no art into a playlist. The program Tune-Up will find art automatically.

4. Tagging - again Itunes works for me. Media Rage does a better job detecting tags. Auto-fill makes it quick.

I honestly don't know if Scratch Live could ever catch up to the tools that are already out there. There are a lot more screens and pop-up windows necesarry to do that you have asked. I would rather see SSL stay simple and focused on playing my media files.

5 KEY DETECTION + 1 totally agree on that one.
djchrischip 4:13 PM - 8 November, 2010
1. Audio/video scanner -
itUnes will sort your videos either into a separate area or with all your mp3s. You can use this and smart playlists to find all your songs that you have videos for. I'm deleting MP3s if I have the MP4 all the time, they show up right next to each other.

@ dub how do u group them all together I want all media to show up in an "all crate"
djchrischip 4:16 PM - 8 November, 2010
@ dub... how do u suppose i add 2 hds with nearly 6tb of media to itunes without it freezing and going crazy lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:25 PM - 8 November, 2010
chrischip

I gotta take my kids to school but I'll come back and answer you.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:38 PM - 8 November, 2010
Quote:
1. Audio/video scanner -

@ dub how do u group them all together I want all media to show up in an "all crate"

In itunes:
right click>get info>options>media kind

if you select "movie" your videos will be in a separate playlist under Movies in itunes. This is where all my downloads from the pools show up.

If you change 'media kind' to "music video" your video will move over to Music playlist and they will have a little TV symbol.

I kept mine as movies for the longest time, but now I move everything over into the music playlist so I can delete the audio only versions.

as for
Quote:
@ dub... how do u suppose i add 2 hds with nearly 6tb of media to itunes without it freezing and going crazy lol

that is going to be tough for any program to handle. I'm working with about 30K files and trying to keep it around 500GB. I delete more files than I add in any given week. If you are going to use itunes. It works best when you let itunes handle the folder organization and if you consolidate the files onto one drive. Then, when you delete something from itunes it shows the option of moving the file into the trash or just removing it from the library. If your files are not in the main itunes folder, they will just be removed from the library. The files won't actually be deleted. I can give you directions on how to handle that but you are going to need one drive that can hold them all like a drobo or some RAID set-up.
Even still. most programs are going to choke on that.

I would consider starting a new library. Adding your most essential tracks first and them using your old library to fill the gaps.

For instance. I have an imac with a drobo attached that has about 6TB of room. My itunes library on that computer has every MP3 I've ever had on it. No duplicates and also no videos. I call it MASTER LIBRARY

On my laptop. I only have what I use to DJ with, DJ LIBRARY. This started as a duplicate of my other library 4 years ago and I have been deleting what I don't need to spin with and adding music videos to (I back up the videos on a cloned drive).

I have both libraries set-up for sharing through wi-fi (super easy to do). If I need a track from the imac library, I can view the entire MASTER LIBRARY through the laptop and just drag the tracks I need over to the laptop. They copy wirelessly.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:38 PM - 8 November, 2010
I can explain more if you have more questions
djchrischip 9:20 PM - 8 November, 2010
dub u def have an awesome system... i def want serato to do all tht 4 me if possible eliminate the guess work
ninjagaijin 2:15 PM - 12 November, 2010
I wish you had good key scanner, but I wouldn't try partner with those sneaky MIK folks.. I wouldn't trust em. Shonky programming mostly..greedy too. Not much bang for buck.

If you could develop your own scanner algorythm though, you would do really well I think in swaying any new customers entirely your way.

Also I want start/end tempo scanning.. like rapid evolution does.. to detect for tempo shifting songs. A mate's song is sneaky it slowly shifts throughout 7 minutes from 176 to 178, while other tunes I have drop down from say 220 to 180 bpm etc. It's great for programs to do this otherwise it's a lot of work sitting there tapping bpm button and trying to match 100% to other tunes etc.
djchrischip 8:06 PM - 13 November, 2010
2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

PERHAPS MAYBE they can use an algorithm and a GUI such as

dougscripts.com

but instead of itunes as the base program they can use serato
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:40 PM - 13 November, 2010
you see exactly why I hope Serato doesn't add these things. Itunes with scripts can already take care of all of what you are hoping to do. Scratch Live and Itch aren't meant for managing huge libraries, they are for playing back files.

I have a bunch of cheap records at the house, I keep them around but I don't load them into my record boxes when I am going to play a set (if this was 10 years ago).

I think of my files as my record collection. I don't want a bunch a crap in there so I always thin it out and I still have 30K files. When I open Scratch Live I only want to playback files and manipulate them. Itunes is like my record library at home and scratch live is like my record box that I gig with.

I guess I would rather see development of this program focus on doing things that can't be done with other programs.

Now if Scratch Live could selectively import itunes playlists instead of the whole library then "itunes integration" would be perfect.
djchrischip 8:48 PM - 13 November, 2010
i feel u dub.. other ppl want it tho so idk

but here is the dillemma
i have 8 mobile companies worth of audio collections
+ my own audio collection, + my boy chris, + my boy billy, n assorted shit from my boys nick n james' collections

VIDEO wise
i have the same collection twice basically just tagged different
djchrischip 8:50 PM - 13 November, 2010
so u can see the crap i deal with

now also the problem is I do mobile and private parties, audio n am starting to get into video (30k+ videos)

so basically i have a ton of shit in my hds n i like to have every track at the club with me

its nice to be able to drop what ever i please
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:07 PM - 13 November, 2010
I feel you.

I spend a lot of time every week sorting my library. I have time for it built into my schedule. It's never ending because there is always new stuff being added. That is "the work" though. I love getting to know my music and library better. You got to take control of it otherwise it's a big mess.

There are a couple little things that itunes does so much better that I would hope to see added to serato before anything else.

-autofill (artist names and genres); keeps everything consistent and speeds up tagging
-sorting (by two criteria)
-extra smart playlist rules.
djchrischip 9:30 PM - 13 November, 2010
Quote:
I feel you.

I spend a lot of time every week sorting my library. I have time for it built into my schedule. It's never ending because there is always new stuff being added. That is "the work" though. I love getting to know my music and library better. You got to take control of it otherwise it's a big mess.

There are a couple little things that itunes does so much better that I would hope to see added to serato before anything else.

-autofill (artist names and genres); keeps everything consistent and speeds up tagging
-sorting (by two criteria)
-extra smart playlist rules.

SOOO JUST ADD THESE 3 + MY IDEAS N WE R BOTH HAPPY!! :-)
DJMark 5:35 AM - 14 November, 2010
Quote:
I wish you had good key scanner, but I wouldn't try partner with those sneaky MIK folks.. I wouldn't trust em. Shonky programming mostly..greedy too. Not much bang for buck.

It's about time someone else agreed with me on that.

Same was true of the original "Camelot" thing (which MIK was based on) 20+ years ago.
djchrischip 3:16 PM - 14 November, 2010
@ SERATO EVERY1 WANTS THESE FEATURES WHAT IS THE DEAL?
djchrischip 9:53 PM - 17 November, 2010
bump :)
deepdjdanny 4:14 AM - 20 November, 2010
+1 better library management, nested smart crates filters. generate smart crate from another crate.
djchrischip 8:08 PM - 28 November, 2010
bump
djchrischip 1:26 AM - 9 December, 2010
BUMP (no cocaine)
djchrischip 10:43 PM - 9 December, 2010
BUMP SERATO MODS.. any chance at getting a comment on this?
smokeyjoe 8:37 PM - 13 December, 2010
Hi djchrischip

Mods rarely comment in this section they just take notes. I think you have made your point and your wish list and you have become a master at keeping this post alive but can we stop with the bumps we have all read it and people have had a chance to agree or disagree.

If you are desperate for these features just now go out and pay for some third party apps as many people have suggested and told you how to use.

I for one want a stable software that is not brought down because it had to many features.

PLEASE DO NOT USE MY POST TO REPLY THANKYOU

Let other people place their ideas and let them have the chance to be viewed rather than you bumping them down the list.
djchrischip 10:11 PM - 13 December, 2010
here r my 3 problems with 3rd party apps
1. dupin does NOT know which dmx-party up has my cue points n will only keep 1 at random
2. everytime i run dupin- i have to rescan id3 tags, then delete the now missing files
3. I DONT USE ITUNES FOR ANYTHING- i have to reimport everything into itunes 4 the simple fact to delete doubles= more work

n tht is just a response for the double detection, not even for the audio/video scanner etc

but thanks for ur sarcastic answer it just bumped my thread again
Henry GQ 7:36 PM - 18 December, 2010
+1

i wouldnt wanna see a 3rd party app either. SSl is to make (i think) djin easier for most of us. and that could be thru waveforms or library management

i do agree with chriscips ideas(they need a little work) but i think chris needs to get in detail with whats going on here.

duplicate search is a must. when i first started into video Vjing. i got 2 - 1 terabyte hard drives from 2 different friends.. well i just threw everything together. now im regretting it! i went into my serato library and just started organizing from there.

wow.

wish i would have went thru the mp4s first and then threw everything into SSL. theres versions from mtv. bet. and just crappy versions from record pools.(this was about 3-4 years ago) well.. ive been sorting ever since then(what a mess) over the years ive added videos from smashvidz,xtendamix,dtvideos,promo only, and all pay edits... im slowly getting there.. deleting the old videos as smash and xtendamix release videos are replacing these videos that i received from my friends(their rendering of these videos are not the best.. but they got me by)

but now i have the unlucky task of finding which videos have been deleted in my serato library but not from my hard drive. what a fucking headache!!!
Henry GQ 7:44 PM - 18 December, 2010
this duplicate idea needs some details like..

when u delete files from ur ssl library, a little box should pop up asking if u want it deleted from the hard-drive or location of the file(external drive/laptop whatever..

some of these remixers from crooklyn clan rename their mp4s/mp3s(for whateevr legal or illegal reason)
so i go in and rename the mp4 to the way i like it. but when im done with the file.. and wanna delete from my library.. i cant find it in my hard drive. why ? cuz they gave it wack ass name.
for example:

__cc_dj_crime__dj_deville__ice_ice_electro_cc
i will rename it to..
Foreigner-cold as ice(ice ice baby intro/deville electro mix)

see the difference ? LOL
Henry GQ 7:49 PM - 18 December, 2010
there should be a type of search engine..

lemme explain.
this search engine will go out and find all mp3/mp4s that are NOT in serato library. pulling them up. now u will be able find all of those. and then delete or sort into other crates. now remember if u delete in ssl. that little box pops up and now u can delete from ssl and ur hard drive. at least thats what i would hope for hahaha
Henry GQ 7:53 PM - 18 December, 2010
also there should be a search engine for bad files..

if its a bad file. u might have deleted from ur serato library but not ur hard drive. and then the deleting would be simpler..

i bet i have at least 200 gigs of files that are not in my ssl library. i need to take a picture of my hard drive. u guys will laugh LOL

when u see all the folders. wow.
djchrischip 7:56 PM - 18 December, 2010
Quote:
]
i bet i have at least 200 gigs of files that are not in my ssl library. i need to take a picture of my hard drive. u guys will laugh LOL

when u see all the folders. wow.

+1 n here is my problem now

i currently have a 2.6 ghz, 4 gb, 17", with a 160 gb internal (7200rpm)
running via the 2 left USB ports
a Western Digital mybook studio ed 4tb- audio n video---- 2.8tb full
and a WD mybook elite 2tb- all video--- 1.6 full

everytime i open VSL, and connect the adapter to go to a tv i get massive USB dropouts
djchrischip 7:58 PM - 18 December, 2010
Other than 2 nay sayers, serato EVERY1 wants, needs and would like to see these features,
I would be willing to get flown out to New Zealand and help design these features with u...
alot of us would benefit from these features.
So please if you can help us out
k thanks
Henry GQ 8:04 PM - 18 December, 2010
haha i dont think they'll fly u out. but it would be nice...
djchrischip 11:45 PM - 18 December, 2010
dude i am willing to give up my winter break in order to develop this, beta test it and spend close to a 1000 dollars to replicate my music colllection/ serato setup n do watever necessary to test it
djchrischip 5:27 PM - 29 December, 2010
Quote:
haha i dont think they'll fly u out. but it would be nice...

+1 haahaaaa
Foolio 5:08 AM - 19 January, 2011
+1 to all (most) of this... +infinity to library management tools app. built into SSL

duplicate detection, find and replace songs (all crates), optional delete from HD as well as SSL library, list songs not in crates, 'other crate(s) this song is in' (or something) column in library etc. etc..

I don't, and don't want to use iTunes. I should check out Niks ScratchTools I guess...

- good luck getting on that plane, chrischip! it is nice here - but damn it's a hot summer! ;-)
djchrischip 5:28 AM - 19 January, 2011
Quote:
+1 to all (most) of this... +infinity to library management tools app. built into SSL

duplicate detection, find and replace songs (all crates), optional delete from HD as well as SSL library, list songs not in crates, 'other crate(s) this song is in' (or something) column in library etc. etc..

I don't, and don't want to use iTunes. I should check out Niks ScratchTools I guess...

- good luck getting on that plane, chrischip! it is nice here - but damn it's a hot summer! ;-)

@foolio thanks i really want to see this done but i m starting to give up hope lol
Henry GQ 6:19 AM - 19 January, 2011
so is scratch tools for windows or mac?
WarpNote 8:10 PM - 19 January, 2011
Quote:
so is scratch tools for windows or mac?

Both, its java based, go to forum.scratchtools.de
djchrischip 12:38 AM - 20 January, 2011
SHH we don't want itunes or scratch tools we want SSL LIBRARY MANAGEMENT ADDONS :)
ninjagaijin 5:25 AM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Same was true of the original "Camelot" thing (which MIK was based on) 20+ years ago.

Rapid Evolution 3 is an ok free alternative but it can destroy your mp3s/tags...
ninjagaijin 5:37 AM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
1. dupin does NOT know which dmx-party up has my cue points n will only keep 1 at random
2. everytime i run dupin- i have to rescan id3 tags, then delete the now missing files
3. I DONT USE ITUNES FOR ANYTHING- i have to reimport everything into itunes 4 the simple fact to delete doubles= more work

n tht is just a response for the double detection, not even for the audio/video scanner etc

When you 'rescan id3 tag' it messess up my database. I have mp3s that like to say they have a 3000 hour length... when they are actually 2 minutes long .. you open them and it corrects the length.. but as soon as you RESCAN, goes back to whatever the mp3 says it is, rather than your database.. same way this can get rid of tags on a bunch of different files.

I need a duplicate file finder outside of any program.. ie shareware/freeware stand alone app... that just detects SIMILAR NAMES. I have one that compares CRCs, but of course every file I have might be the same song but diff encode rates or tags or cues or overview so every file different crc. I just want something that puts everything together that looks like a similarly named file, to make it easier to get rid of, instead of manually searching through my collection 30-60K tunes, to make a LITTLE easier, whenever I find I have multiple versions with some good and some bad, I tag the artist name with an asterix '*' in front of the name so that I can search for * and can choose which file is the best later on. Very long process though and not all a way to fully complete this process.

Quote:

I just really want something that goes - ok scanned here u go you have 10x copies of UK Apache & Shy FX - Original Nuttah. Some called Nutter, some not with Shy FX in the name, some very low quality, some very high, different lengths etc.. I have maybe 100 - 300 tunes that are like this, with 10x copies each..

At present, I load EVERYTHING I have into serato (keeping all NON-DJ stuffs on a desktop internal drive, so that when I connect external, all that 'non-dj musics' never gets loaded..so I have to type in there, find the files I don't want, and either copy it out of the external drive or just plain delete. This is after maybe 10 minutes deciding what the different spectrograph wise as well as audible are for the different files.. something a low quality vbr mp3 will be ok when a 320 might be reported as 'invalid frames' or corrupt or something..

So it's a lot of work. Because I like to get 'best of' jungle compilations, I often get same tracks piling up..

I would like some way to OVERWRITE mp3s tags as a final thing when you have your serato database 100%... so that 're-read ID3 tags' would load the database options, when you wanted it a certain way.. as I mentioned before, many tunes have incorrect length or whatever, from original mp3 tag, so it would be great if this was overwritten with the accurate length found in the serato database.

Does my head in a bit.

We've all learnt a way around these problems though so I would prefer for the meantime, some more ways of arranging the 3rd deck in SL3.. I hate that playing deck 1 & 3, there is the space where 2 is, so you can't visually mix them as easily anymore. This is what I want fixed before SL4 comes out..
djchrischip 5:38 AM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Rapid Evolution 3 is an ok free alternative but it can destroy your mp3s/tags...

then it is a piss poor alternative
ninjagaijin 5:54 AM - 9 February, 2011
Yeah well it only happened to me it seems, it has so many tag writing options if you aren't careful its dangerous. BUt if you can backup all your files first (which should be doing anyway) its not an issue, you can get all the tags nice and the few thousand files that are screwed up you can manually put the key onto from the corrupt files that were scanned, into the tags of the working back up files.

This is what I had to do when I used it and ended up buying MIK4. But, that said, RE is actually a better algorithm, has start/end keys, is more precise and does scales as well as key.. goes on and on, amazing program.. but eating 4000 of my dubplates was not a happy thing, even with backups to put back.

I think it's just like editing your tags with ANYTHING after serato overview built to it.. potential for re-editing the tag to write the overview as audio data, becoming a glitch at the start or end of the file.
djchrischip 7:39 AM - 9 February, 2011
i see think about it... much rather have serato do everything 4 me just saying
djchrischip 9:11 PM - 11 February, 2011
BUMP!
smokeyjoe 7:28 PM - 12 February, 2011
@ djchrischip aka MR Bump

Please take the survey on the news page as your idea has been taken on board and it is now up to us to vote for it or not.......there are no more reasons to bump this thread.

And i would worry as there are some features there that i think most of the board will want to come first...just my 2 cents

P.S. it is very rare for anybody from Rane or Serato to comment in this section but they do read it.
djchrischip 12:49 AM - 14 February, 2011
i didn't even see it
smokeyjoe 10:53 AM - 14 February, 2011
djchrischip 10:35 PM - 14 February, 2011
yea voted already n i encourage all users to do the same
djchrischip 1:22 AM - 28 April, 2011
BUMP
djchrischip 4:34 AM - 18 May, 2011
BUMP BUMP BUMP NO B2K
ninjagaijin 6:18 AM - 6 August, 2011
7 years now, time to get your file/library/crate management down mates
djchrischip 12:29 AM - 14 August, 2011
i kno!!!
karnhall 11:02 AM - 15 August, 2011
i would love to see Serato a default media player for mp3 files so i didnt have to use iTunes.

I organise everything in the root folders and mirror in iTunes then read library in Serato and build event/gig specific crates in there.

Its farking time consuming and messy when your trying to delete old crap when sorting in Serato.

I have to APPLE O to open in iTunes, then APPLE L to locate the folder, then APPLE R to bring up the track in my root folder then APPLE DELETE to trash it then go back to iTunes and delete the file and back to Serato at which time it will stay Red until the next time i shut down and start up before it can be deleted.

FARKING HEADACHE....
DeezNotes 5:34 PM - 15 August, 2011
Quote:
i would love to see Serato a default media player for mp3 files so i didnt have to use iTunes.

I organise everything in the root folders and mirror in iTunes then read library in Serato and build event/gig specific crates in there.

Its farking time consuming and messy when your trying to delete old crap when sorting in Serato.

I have to APPLE O to open in iTunes, then APPLE L to locate the folder, then APPLE R to bring up the track in my root folder then APPLE DELETE to trash it then go back to iTunes and delete the file and back to Serato at which time it will stay Red until the next time i shut down and start up before it can be deleted.

FARKING HEADACHE....

You know you can COMMAND+R in SSL which is the same as COMMAND+Shift+R in iTunes? You can also COMMAND+SHIFT+Del in SSL to send songs straight to the Trash as well.
djchrischip 7:32 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:

FARKING HEADACHE....

I agree, I would love to see Serato emerge as a self serving library management piece of software in addition to the play back of media.... I would love to see them build more library management tools within the program...
djchrischip 9:16 PM - 19 December, 2011
BUMP

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
<IE MIXED IN KEY>
WarpNote 10:48 PM - 19 December, 2011
chrischip,

I'll have to disagree on the internet based auto search stuff. Id rather keep SSL light and stable.

SSL should support all tags, yes, but stay focused on DJ functionality, not try to be the ultimate tag tool... IMO
WarpNote 10:51 PM - 19 December, 2011
Also chrischip, I don't use the iTunes Lib at all in SSL, this makes deleting files directly off the disc from within SSL real easy. No cmd L R O etc, just cmd/shift/delete, then empty trash.
djchrischip 11:08 PM - 19 December, 2011
ok I will accept ur disagreement... However, it would be cool to have these features as an OFFLINE only plug in upgrade
how's that any better?
WarpNote 11:25 PM - 19 December, 2011
Lets agree to disagree :-)
Don't get me wrong, I see the point in having automatic features, however, my main concern is bloated code. For heavy load real time apps like SSL (and Itch), it's important to keep the code as "clean and lean" as possible to ensure stability and speed.

As there's other software capable of these net searches on both win & mac, Id rather have Serato developers focus on issues that actually improves the dj performance, ie stuff like: splice, beat-slice, improved VSL, real sticker cues, updated fx, real input matrix in software, better mapping for a larger group of controllers, ie stuff that makes SSL really compete to the feature sets of the "other ones".

Sure, I use MIK myself (also use Media Rage for tagging files + Artwork), but come on, dragging the files from the crate over to MIK isn't really much of a hassle to be honest.
Serato
Glenn M 2:49 AM - 27 December, 2011
Hi, everyone. I'm about to take a *lot* more interest in Library Management development, so even though this thread is massive, I'd like to revisit your ideas...

Quote:

This is the goal (well, for me)

Quote:
For heavy load real time apps like SSL (and Itch), it's important to keep the code as "clean and lean" as possible to ensure stability and speed.

If we do this right (this time around), this will be the case.

So far I see the following suggestions (here and from other threads)
Utilities
* Key detection.
* Internet sourced audio tagging (more info here: stackoverflow.com)
* Generate tags based on filename.
* Rename files based on tags.
* Mass removal of video/effect association to audio files.
* Easy was to remove ALL serato meta data from media files.
* Export crates to .m3u, .csv or some other format.
* Allow user scripts to do mass modifications to data. (Umm, will we need an undo).

Library Structure
* Smart crates can be moved to crates.
* Nested smart crates (i.e. child smart crate has content from all ancestor smart crates).
* Track 'linking'. The ability to state that certain tracks work well with some other track (at the DJ's discretion). Perhaps we can do work on some kind of 'smart linking.
* Sync/Map a crate to a folder or folder hierarchy on a internal or external drive. This would be a form of smart crate or smart crate hierarchy.
* Remember what iTunes playlists have been expanded/collapsed.

Library Display/Info
* Track play count.
* Crate total track time.
* Track 'star' ratings.
* Multi-labelling a track (i.e. gmail labels or web 2.0 style tag clouds).
* View BPM to 2 decimal places.
* Be able to hide the # and color columns
* Be able to collapse the entire library.
* More crate metadata, i.e. Info about a crate. DateCreated, description.
* Be able to switch between camelot key notation and standard key notation.
* The track color label could/should colour the entire row (i48.photobucket.com)
* Other column ideas: style, version, publisher, rating.
* The ability to hide crates without removing them from the database (need a way to show them again though).

Searching/sorting
* Duplicate track detection.
* Sort by non video associated audio files.
* Search for audio files with missing associated videos.
* Sort criteria based on multiple columns. This will act as the 'secondary' or 'tertiary' search criteria. (GUI wise, this could be achieved by shift+clicking the columns in the order of the search)
* Selective iTunes playlist import (i.e. be able to ignore certain playlists).
* Be able to reveal what crates the selected track(s) is/are located in, either by crate highlighting or some other means.
* Be able to search for tracks that have (or don't have) cue points/loops
* Be able to search for tracks that haven't been analysed yet.
* Be able to multi-select crates and have the track view populate according to the contents of the selected crates. More power user features are described here: serato.com
* Be able to save a search criteria/string as a smart crate.
* When cancelling a search with the search text field/filter, return the library 'cursor' to the original track selection.
* Harmonic Key sorting should be done chromatically, not alphabetically.

Quote:

Ha! Posted over a year ago and probably very accurate. Bring on SSL 3.0. Maybe with blue track selection : )

Feel free to post again if I've missed anything.

Thanks.

Glenn

[last updated 16.01.2011]
AKIEM 10:53 AM - 27 December, 2011
Heres some thoughts on linking files... Linking crates to files...
serato.com

I really like the play count idea - imagine selecting a number of counts and the files with that number change color...
serato.com

Didnt see this in the list. How about being able to add notes or comments that are part of the crate instead of added to the files.
serato.com

some scripts from itunes
- add/remove text to the front or end of tags (instead of writing over)
- parse tags
- swop two tags
- put this in front/back of that
- replace text
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:11 PM - 27 December, 2011
Glenn you missed a simple but very use full one.

# multi select columns. So you can select to sort a crate by colour dot and bpm. Bpm and key. Ect ect.

Being able to only select one at tge moment it bit well shit lol two would be great!

And glenn look foward to all the changes as and when they happen.
DJ Quartz 1:34 PM - 27 December, 2011
@ Glenn M

These are very common requests of DVS users in general. Some of these features exist in Traktor already.

SSL can definitely benefit from these features.
Serato
Glenn M 7:00 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
# multi select columns. So you can select to sort a crate by colour dot and bpm. Bpm and key. Ect ect.

That's just this right: "* Sort criteria based on multiple columns."?

Quote:
Didnt see this in the list. How about being able to add notes or comments that are part of the crate instead of added to the files.

Nice idea but I have no idea of an appropriate way one would do this in the gui.

If anyone has any other ideas for other crate meta data, such as 'date added' just post it here.

Note, I'll just keep editing my initial list as you guys post more good ideas.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:07 PM - 27 December, 2011
Glenn i stand corrected think i was to excited that a serato employee had replyed and even more so that its the guy who does the programming! lol

Cool im loving all these.... the wait will be worth it.
Serato
Glenn M 7:13 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
Glenn i stand corrected think i was to excited that a serato employee had replyed and even more so that its the guy who does the programming! lol

Yeah. I honestly feel so gutted for you guys for wanting these features and us Serato devs not being able deliver, we're just so flat out with all sorts of work. However, in the last 6 months I've been doing some prototyping that is looking promising, so I want to make sure I have a total understanding of what users want so that I don't 'code myself into a corner' so to speak.

Just added
Quote:
courtesy of DJ Quartz
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:27 PM - 27 December, 2011
ya i remember you saying in an old private beta that you been working on a new library [[[''AT HOME'']]]

Sounds like its starting to pay off, but i agree this is the next thing serato needs to upgrade is the library as its been same for years...

one other thing i like in traktor is at the top right of every artist box in the library is a little pic of a magnifi glass if you click that it will fill the search box in with that artist name and show all the results.. very fast for finding tracks by same artist ect.
Serato
Glenn M 9:15 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
ya i remember you saying in an old private beta that you been working on a new library [[[''AT HOME'']]]
If I burn myself out, I'll just take a trip to Argentina again.

Quote:
one other thing i like in traktor is at the top right of every artist box in the library is a little pic of a magnifi glass if you click that it will fill the search box in with that artist name and show all the results.. very fast for finding tracks by same artist ect.

As much as I dread the thought of copying traktor, I think we might have to take note of everything out competitors do well and put our own spin on it if required.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:21 PM - 27 December, 2011
tobe honist its the only thing i was like WOW about on traktor the rest was horrid so i uninstalled it but do wish that feature in ssl even if you do it a different way.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:23 PM - 27 December, 2011
sorry if i have missed thos on your list glenn but this has been talked about loads your djing press ctrl f start typing your search resault.... we want to then press the x and it return to the crate we was in before we did ctrl f. VERY USEFULL.
Serato
Glenn M 9:29 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
we want to then press the x and it return to the crate we was in before we did ctrl f. VERY USEFULL.

Yes, I remember that request. I'll add it to the list.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:44 PM - 27 December, 2011
Glenn here is a good request ----> serato.com
Serato
Glenn M 9:52 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
Glenn here is a good request ----> serato.com
Done.
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:36 PM - 27 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
we want to then press the x and it return to the crate we was in before we did ctrl f. VERY USEFULL.

Yes, I remember that request. I'll add it to the list.

add to that,

keep highlighted track in focus.

When I search in a crate, the crate view defaults to the top or bottom of the playlist. I would like to have it keep the track that was just highlighted stay in the center.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:39 PM - 27 December, 2011
^ don't you have to just tick centre on selected track for it to stay in the middle?
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:44 PM - 27 December, 2011
I believe that is when scrolling and I am pretty sure I have that ticked. I'll check
djtate 2:29 AM - 30 December, 2011
Glenn dont forget faster loading times with pple with big libraries - the 3 min loading thing aint good.
Serato
Glenn M 2:40 AM - 30 December, 2011
Quote:
Glenn dont forget faster loading times with pple with big libraries - the 3 min loading thing aint good.

Yeah, I know. I'm working on it now. The slow lib load times drives me nuts (a close second is high memory usage).

At the risk of getting people too excited, lets just say that work is being done to comprehensively to fix both, but making a next-gen library is an epic task (i.e. months away). Carl and I did manage to get load times down using some tricks, but the problem was memory consumption increased, which was not so good. We'll have to test this some more.
Konix 4:22 PM - 3 January, 2012
Hey Glenn, this doesn't personally affect me, but I see the secondary sort order has changed again. Prior to 2.1, the secondary sort order was by song, then it changed to artist in 2.1 I believe. People complained, then you (Serato) changed it back to song. Now it seems to be back to artist again in 2.3.3. So depending on when a user started using Scratch Live, some people like it, or hate it, or hate that you keep changing it.

So, can you make an option in the setup menu or something for the secondary sort order? Some people like it by song, others by artist. I don't know, maybe a drop down menu for all the columns? I think I'd like the secondary sorting by key actually.

Or better yet, just enable spreadsheet like multi-column sorting? That's pretty much the same thing, no? Click one column to sort, then for example, ctrl click a second column to secondary sort.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:54 PM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
Click one column to sort, then for example, ctrl click a second column to secondary sort.

this
Serato
Glenn M 9:43 PM - 3 January, 2012
Quote:
Or better yet, just enable spreadsheet like multi-column sorting? That's pretty much the same thing, no? Click one column to sort, then for example, ctrl click a second column to secondary sort.

We could perhaps do shift+click on the column headers to set the order for a multi col search.
AKIEM 10:36 PM - 3 January, 2012
Nice
djchrischip 2:15 AM - 9 January, 2012
Quote:
Hi, everyone. I'm about to take a *lot* more interest in Library Management development, so even though this thread is massive, I'd like to revisit your ideas...

Quote:

This is the goal (well, for me)

Quote:
For heavy load real time apps like SSL (and Itch), it's important to keep the code as "clean and lean" as possible to ensure stability and speed.

If we do this right (this time around), this will be the case.

So far I see the following suggestions (here and from other threads)
Utilities
* Key detection.
* Generate tags based on filename.
* Easy was to remove ALL serato meta data from media files.
* Export crates to .m3u, .csv or some other format.
* Allow user scripts to do mass modifications to data. (Umm, will we need an undo).

Library Structure
* Smart crates can be moved to crates.
* Nested smart crates (i.e. child smart crate has content from all ancestor smart crates).
* Track 'linking'. The ability to state that certain tracks work well with some other track (at the DJ's discretion). Perhaps we can do work on some kind of 'smart linking.
* Sync/Map a crate to a folder or folder hierarchy on a internal or external drive. This would be a form of smart crate or smart crate hierarchy.

Library Display/Info
* Track play count.
* Crate total track time.
* Track 'star' ratings.
* Multi-labelling a track (i.e. gmail labels or web 2.0 style tag clouds).
* View BPM to 2 decimal places.
* Be able to hide the # and color columns
* Be able to collapse the entire library.
* More crate metadata, i.e. Info about a crate.
* Be able to switch between camelot key notation and standard key notation.
* The track color label could/should colour the entire row (i48.photobucket.com)

Searching/sorting
* Duplicate track detection.
* Sort by non video associated audio files.
* Search for audio files with missing associated videos.
* Sort criteria based on multiple columns. This will act as the 'secondary' or 'tertiary' search criteria. (GUI wise, this could be achieved by shift+clicking the columns in the order of the search)
* Selective iTunes playlist import (i.e. be able to ignore certain playlists).
* Be able to reveal what crates the selected track(s) is/are located in, either by crate highlighting or some other means.
* Be able to multi-select crates and have the track view populate according to the contents of the selected crates. More power user features are described here: serato.com
* When cancelling a search with the search text field/filter, return the library 'cursor' to the original track selection.

Quote:

Ha! Posted over a year ago and probably very accurate. Bring on SSL 3.0. Maybe with blue track selection : )

Feel free to post again if I've missed anything.

Thanks.

Glenn

Hey haven't been on,
HOWEVER this is the best christmas gift I got all year... I love you serato... I am willing to beta test for you with a backup music library if need be and be in constant communication with you guys to develop this stuff.
djchrischip 2:39 AM - 9 January, 2012
Quote:

my current library takes 45 mins to load lmfao... i wish i had a 3 min load time lol
djchrischip 2:40 AM - 9 January, 2012
Quote:
Hey Glenn, this doesn't personally affect me, but I see the secondary sort order has changed again. Prior to 2.1, the secondary sort order was by song, then it changed to artist in 2.1 I believe. People complained, then you (Serato) changed it back to song. Now it seems to be back to artist again in 2.3.3. So depending on when a user started using Scratch Live, some people like it, or hate it, or hate that you keep changing it.

So, can you make an option in the setup menu or something for the secondary sort order? Some people like it by song, others by artist. I don't know, maybe a drop down menu for all the columns? I think I'd like the secondary sorting by key actually.

+1 great idea :D
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:41 AM - 9 January, 2012
if I can add a suggestion to this list...

Crate Colors - I have a few crates that are my main lists. I would love to be able to make them stand out a little bit in the list.
djchrischip 6:46 PM - 9 January, 2012
I am so excited about the following in Glenn's list

Utilities
* Key detection.

* Export crates to .m3u, .csv or some other format.-> What does this mean?

Library Structure
* Nested smart crates (i.e. child smart crate has content from all ancestor smart crates). -> maybe
* Sync/Map a crate to a folder or folder hierarchy on a internal or external drive. This would be a form of smart crate or smart crate hierarchy. -> possibly

Library Display/Info
* Track play count.
* Track 'star' ratings.
* Multi-labelling a track (i.e. gmail labels or web 2.0 style tag clouds). -> whats this?
* More crate metadata, i.e. Info about a crate. -> what do u have in mind?
* Be able to switch between camelot key notation and standard key notation. -> good with me
* The track color label could/should colour the entire row (i48.photobucket.com) -> make an option only... I like the color dot system.

Searching/sorting
* Duplicate track detection. -> most excited ever!!!!
* Sort by non video associated audio files. -> very excited
* Search for audio files with missing associated videos. -> very excited!!... ALSO find mp3s with no mp4 with similar file tag n crate possibly
* Sort criteria based on multiple columns. This will act as the 'secondary' or 'tertiary' search criteria. (GUI wise, this could be achieved by shift+clicking the columns in the order of the search) -> like it
* Be able to reveal what crates the selected track(s) is/are located in, either by crate highlighting or some other means. -> "control + C"
Serato
Glenn M 10:08 PM - 9 January, 2012
Just a reminder guys that these are all just ideas. We can't promise these things.

What we want though, is a good idea of what DJs want so that we can make sure that if/when development happens, that we are able to accommodate the most practical ideas.

Try not to get too excited just yet.
serkan 10:11 PM - 9 January, 2012
Oh! I thought that was just one piece of the 2.4 cake that will arrive by next week :D
serkan 10:12 PM - 9 January, 2012
...with a beta testing phase of 3 years of course ;)
DeezNotes 11:26 PM - 9 January, 2012
I've been brainstorming on this for a while. Out of curiosity, would you guys (DJs) like to see a management program that works "with" SSL+ITCH so that these features won't affect the integrity of the performance application or would you rather these tools be built into SSL+ITCH?

After some thought, there are some things I wouldn't mind being available in the program itself or only accessible in offline mode. However, if any of this "management" stuff starts to affect the performance code, I would rather have another app that will work with SSL+ITCH.

For example, ScratchTools and the ITCH Sync Tool can update your crates to match your folder structure. I've always wanted to be able to run the sync tool while SSL/ITCH is open, then hit a button or something to have SSL/ITCH re-read the database without me having to close then open the application. If we had a program that managed the database outside of SSL/ITCH, we could keep all this extra stuff out of the performance application and just update the database within SSL/ITCH if any changes are made in this partner application, iTunes, ScratchTools, etc.

Thoughts?
Serato
Glenn M 1:09 AM - 10 January, 2012
Quote:
would you guys (DJs) like to see a management program that works "with" SSL+ITCH so that these features won't affect the integrity of the performance application or would you rather these tools be built into SSL+ITCH?

That tool will break for sure. Is this nik39's Scratch Tools?
Quote:
However, if any of this "management" stuff starts to affect the performance code, I would rather have another app that will work with SSL+ITCH.

Fair enough. In fact, it seems a good idea to have some of the more meticulous/granular Library tool in offline mode only and keep performance mode really light weight.

Good suggestion.

I don't see any reason why Serato can't aspire to make a very comprehensive File Management tool for DJs, but only enable "power-library-management" for offline seems a good way of doing it.

Ideally third party apps can manage the data too. I see no reason to encrypt the database, thus preventing others from using it.
AKIEM 2:00 AM - 10 January, 2012
I agree.
nik39 8:11 AM - 10 January, 2012
Quote:
I see no reason to encrypt the database, thus preventing others from using it.

Nice! =)
DjNFerna 11:49 PM - 10 January, 2012
to be able to take a track with inst and acap and clean and dirty and intro, and make it attach to any one track u want with a drop down in that track so u can make your libary smaller and still be able to jump from all of those tracks.... also same idea but u would be able to use other tracks that u like to mix together
djchrischip 1:00 AM - 11 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
would you guys (DJs) like to see a management program that works "with" SSL+ITCH so that these features won't affect the integrity of the performance application or would you rather these tools be built into SSL+ITCH?

That tool will break for sure. Is this nik39's Scratch Tools?
Quote:
However, if any of this "management" stuff starts to affect the performance code, I would rather have another app that will work with SSL+ITCH.

Fair enough. In fact, it seems a good idea to have some of the more meticulous/granular Library tool in offline mode only and keep performance mode really light weight.

Good suggestion.

I don't see any reason why Serato can't aspire to make a very comprehensive File Management tool for DJs, but only enable "power-library-management" for offline seems a good way of doing it.

Ideally third party apps can manage the data too. I see no reason to encrypt the database, thus preventing others from using it.

+1000
Serato
Glenn M 1:10 AM - 11 January, 2012
Quote:
Just a reminder guys that these are all just ideas. We can't promise these things.

What we want though, is a good idea of what DJs want so that we can make sure that if/when development happens, that we are able to accommodate the most practical ideas.

Try not to get too excited just yet.

Emphasis on this guys.

There are no current plans to implement any of what is being discussed in here.

This thread is merely an opportunity to collate your ideas into one list so that you can better see what each other has thought up.
djchrischip 1:47 AM - 11 January, 2012
I really would LOVE if these ideas come to fruition
Pugachelli 7:46 PM - 24 January, 2012
Please. Key detection is KEY!!... See what i did there :P
djchrischip 12:29 AM - 27 January, 2012
haha +1
Rehab 5:20 PM - 30 January, 2012
DJ Stoyvo 5:35 AM - 5 February, 2012
Just a small idea, haven't really thought much about it, but I saw a section about "Notes" for tracks... Maybe just create a small arrow by the Artist/Title per deck where once clicked, we can modify the comment?

Scratch that...

Make the Artist/Title/BPM/Key/Comment editable from the playing deck! It's time consuming to search a track already playing to modify something wrong with it.
Res-Q 11:22 AM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
Make the Artist/Title/BPM/Key/Comment editable from the playing deck! It's time consuming to search a track already playing to modify something wrong with it.

^^^^^^^^^^ THAT
WarpNote 12:24 PM - 5 February, 2012
BPM is editable by tap...
Res-Q 12:35 PM - 5 February, 2012
yes but you cant alt+ up or down arrow on the bpm from the playing deck, so pretty pointless and not accurate tapping.
Editing Title and Artist from the playing deck would be very usefull to add on the fly comments still
WarpNote 12:42 PM - 5 February, 2012
True
DeezNotes 12:51 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
yes but you cant alt+ up or down arrow on the bpm from the playing deck, so pretty pointless and not accurate tapping.
Editing Title and Artist from the playing deck would be very usefull to add on the fly comments still

I like that. Double-clicking the playing song text on the deck allows you to edit track info. Nice one.
djchrischip 3:01 AM - 7 February, 2012
bump!!
djchrischip 3:02 AM - 7 February, 2012

Utilities
* Key detection.

Library Structure
* Nested smart crates (i.e. child smart crate has content from all ancestor smart crates). -> maybe
* Sync/Map a crate to a folder or folder hierarchy on a internal or external drive. This would be a form of smart crate or smart crate hierarchy. -> possibly

Library Display/Info
* Track play count.
* Track 'star' ratings.
* Multi-labelling a track (i.e. gmail labels or web 2.0 style tag clouds). -> whats this?
* Be able to switch between camelot key notation and standard key notation. -> good with me
* The track color label could/should colour the entire row (i48.photobucket.com) -> make an option only... I like the color dot system.

Searching/sorting
* Search for audio files with missing associated videos. -> very excited!!... ALSO find mp3s with no mp4 with similar file tag n crate possibly
* Sort criteria based on multiple columns. This will act as the 'secondary' or 'tertiary' search criteria. (GUI wise, this could be achieved by shift+clicking the columns in the order of the search) -> like it
* Be able to reveal what crates the selected track(s) is/are located in, either by crate highlighting or some other means. -> "control + C"

MY ORIGINAL IDEAS:

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
<IE MIXED IN KEY>

What Do You Guys Think?
AKIEM 3:08 AM - 7 February, 2012
I think Serato should design and sale a separate library management tool.
djchrischip 1:02 AM - 8 February, 2012
i would buy it n help design it
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:12 AM - 8 February, 2012
Remember guys, this thread is just about collecting ideas. Nothing is being promised by Serato here...

I just don't want you all to get your hopes up for things that may take time or never eventuate. We are listening to your feedback though!

Cheers.
DJ Stoyvo 1:55 AM - 8 February, 2012
Quote:
Remember guys, this thread is just about collecting ideas. Nothing is being promised by Serato here...

I just don't want you all to get your hopes up for things that may take time or never eventuate. We are listening to your feedback though!

Cheers.

Might want to tell your CEO that these changes will boost sales. That'll make these things happen
djchrischip 2:10 AM - 9 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers.

Might want to tell your CEO that these changes will boost sales. That'll make these things happen

+1 I want these features and it would be what gives you an edge over traktor
djchrischip 2:11 AM - 9 February, 2012
Quote:
I think Serato should design and sale a separate library management tool.

+1 I would buy it
AKIEM 11:07 AM - 9 February, 2012
sort by Kind
WarpNote 11:15 AM - 9 February, 2012
Akiem,
you mean sort video from audio, or sort mp3, AAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, M4V, MOV etc separate?
AKIEM 11:38 AM - 9 February, 2012
mp3, AAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, M4V, MOV <------ that one
WarpNote 12:24 PM - 9 February, 2012
I can see how that can be useful, as a workaround for now, I search for ".mov" ".m4v" etc.
Obviously doesn't work so well for separating ALAC vs AAC. Could sort by bitrate, but that gets messy...
AKIEM 1:17 PM - 9 February, 2012
yeah, thats what mi doing nows
djchrischip 7:45 PM - 12 February, 2012
Quote:

Utilities
* Key detection.

Library Structure

Library Display/Info
* Track play count.
* Track 'star' ratings.

Searching/sorting

MY ORIGINAL IDEAS:

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
[i]

What Do You Guys Think?

OPINIONS ON THE ABOVE MENTIONED FEATURES? AS A PLUGIN?
djtracyg 12:39 AM - 1 March, 2012
ok where is the BETA 2.4? I've been away for a minute...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:54 AM - 1 March, 2012
Scratch Live 2.4.1 is in public beta, which you can find here > serato.com (click link).
djchrischip 1:14 AM - 1 March, 2012
hopefully some of these features work there way into future updates :)
djchrischip 9:53 PM - 5 March, 2012
bump!!
djchrischip 7:43 PM - 11 March, 2012
Pugachelli 8:29 PM - 25 May, 2012
I would love it if you could hold a pitch bend on one note.

If you're bending a loop there's no way of being able to sustain a single note because the pitch bend continues going up or down (depending on which button you're pressing). It would be really cool if you could press both pitch bend buttons down at the same time, while bending the pitch to make the pitch bend stop at the desired note that you hit.
Pugachelli 8:34 PM - 25 May, 2012
Wow. Sorry. I just noticed this is for Library Management Tools whoops. Omit that last post.
djchrischip 4:09 AM - 29 May, 2012
Utilities
* Key detection.

Library Structure

Library Display/Info
* Track play count.
* Track 'star' ratings.

Searching/sorting

MY ORIGINAL IDEAS:

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
[i]

What Do You Guys Think?
nik39 6:49 AM - 29 May, 2012
Quote:
What Do You Guys Think?

... good ideas... but you don't need to cite yourself all the time ;)
djchrischip 5:26 PM - 29 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
What Do You Guys Think?

... good ideas... but you don't need to cite yourself all the time ;)

nik u know that these people won't go back through the thread to read all the ideas lol
djchrischip 10:36 PM - 28 September, 2012
BUMP!!!
sinesthetix 12:42 AM - 3 October, 2012
+1
Dj Wunder 2:16 AM - 10 October, 2012
biddump
djchrischip 12:04 PM - 10 October, 2012
yes thank you... glad we are starting to get momentum back to this thread
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:09 PM - 10 October, 2012
Wonder if ANY of these ideas make it into SERATO DJ? Sure hope they do.
djchrischip 4:54 PM - 12 October, 2012
Utilities
* Key detection.

Library Structure

Library Display/Info
* Track play count.
* Track 'star' ratings.

Searching/sorting

MY ORIGINAL IDEAS:

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
[i]

What Do You Guys Think?

HEY SERATO SEE THIS THREAD IS GETTING SOME MORE ATTENTION SO PLEASE CONSIDER ADDING SOME OF THESE FEATURES!!

2. DUPLICATE DETECTION

IF YOU GUYS COULD MAKE A PLUGIN LIKE DUPIN THAT WORKS EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE SERATO PROGRAM IT WOULD BE HUGE...

INSTEAD OF REPLAYLIST IT WOULD "RECRATE"- and keep the file with the most plays cue points and loops etc
dougscripts.com
[i]

3. ALBUM ART DETECTION
<HAVE AN IDEA>

4. TAGGING/ RENAMING
<FOR STEVIE O>

5. KEY DETECTION
[i]
SiRocket 11:27 AM - 26 October, 2012
i'm all for more library tools!!! LOVE THIS!!!
djchrischip 7:26 PM - 29 October, 2012
ricky I want either serato to develop it or else I will create a 3rd party app :)
djchrischip 7:30 PM - 29 October, 2012
1. For Serato Library Duplicates: let's create a program like dougscripts.com
Have it follow the Serato GUI, and instead of the the "replaylist tool" have a "re-crate tool)

2. Key Detection built in to the overview process

3. Album Art Detection via the internet (I think there is a 3rd party plugin online available- have this built in to the plug in~ make it able to be turned on and off)

4. Tagging Program built in to the App

That would be the start :)
djchrischip 7:30 PM - 29 October, 2012
I would personally pay $150 for a program like this and I am sure I am not the only one
Dj Wunder 8:03 PM - 29 October, 2012
Quote:
1. For Serato Library Duplicates: let's create a program like dougscripts.com
Have it follow the Serato GUI, and instead of the the "replaylist tool" have a "re-crate tool)
Yes... and YES
Quote:

2. Key Detection built in to the overview process

Dude keyfinder is free and works. PLEASE Serato PLEASE get down with the developer and integrate this!
Quote:

3. Album Art Detection via the internet (I think there is a 3rd party plugin online available- have this built in to the plug in~ make it able to be turned on and off)

4. Tagging Program built in to the App

That would be the start :)

Quote:
I would personally pay $150 for a program like this and I am sure I am not the only one

I'd pay a little less, but yeah, you're right on the money
djchrischip 8:44 PM - 29 October, 2012
THANK U... I have been talking with the developers and like begging and pleading the case for years... has fallen on deaf ears mean while there is a HUGE market for this kind of program and/ or its implementation to the SSL/ Serato offline program....

I will personally set aside approximately $20,000 and up to 1 year of my life to get this done!!!
djchrischip 8:50 PM - 29 October, 2012
Budget of 20k

6k for a new laptop
4k for the proper upgraded storage needed to back up and one set of storage to use in the development
3k for travel expenses to NZ
7k for the design of the program
SiRocket 9:30 AM - 30 October, 2012
Quote:

If i knew it wouldn't be obsolete (aka mix emergency)... i would be all for it... if i get used to something, i want to use it! and grow with it.

:)
AKIEM 2:58 PM - 30 October, 2012
I imagine most of whats needed could/would not be made obsolete - its just tag editing and stuff.

I would pay money too if it did everything I needed.

I would pay more money if it did some simple audio editing.

kickstart?
djchrischip 6:00 PM - 5 November, 2012
akiem, ricky... seriously how dope would a program or plug in be... I can design it, I just cant code it
SiRocket 4:02 AM - 7 November, 2012
would be awesome!
djchrischip 12:38 AM - 8 November, 2012
I know it would n I am willing to put alot into the project over the next year to see that it gets done, just need to have assurances that it will be done the "right way"
DJ PIDO 8:07 PM - 11 February, 2014
Great features listed above... Such as SEPARATE TRACKS USING MORE THAN ONE TAG (like ADD / COLOR / BPM). Hope we could see planty of them on the next versions!