Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Sub - Smart Crates

Matt Allcock 12:26 PM - 24 June, 2010
I would like to utilise the smart crates but I currently have a lot of smart crates for different genres of music, which takes up a lot of room in the crates window.

Example:

Smart Crates:

Crate 1 : 70's Pop
Crate 2 : Disco
Crate 3 : 70's Rock

Old style "manual" crates:

Crate: 70's
Sub Crate: 70's Pop
Sub Crate: Disco
Sub Crate: 70's Rock

Under the old "manual" crate system (the brown crates) I can put all 3 of these crates under a general "70's" crate, and if I need to break down my genre I will collapse the crate to open up the 3 crates contained in there.

If I use the smart crates to contain these 3 "Sub-Genres" then they have to be displayed always and cannot be moved into a general 70's crate.

Same goes for all of my genres, 80's Rock, 80's New Wave, 80's Pop, 80's Dance

As you can imagine, that would mean a lot of smart crates and I want to simplify the view.
Matt Allcock 8:42 AM - 26 June, 2010
nobody wanna comment?
Matt Allcock 10:15 PM - 13 July, 2010
Hellooooooo? Am I really talking to myself?
AKIEM 7:03 PM - 14 July, 2010
yes

+1

not to jack your thread - but I would much rather be able to select multiple crates
DVJ T-Bone 3:11 PM - 18 July, 2010
+1
Frederic Heim 9:25 PM - 26 July, 2010
I'm agree with you ! Subcrates for smartcrates !!
major krazy 10:20 AM - 30 July, 2010
Yes this would be awesome!!! I have general genres then sub genres with in those & don't want a thousand creates to scroll down.

+1
DJ NFCTD 9:05 PM - 7 August, 2010
Definitely need this +1
easyG 7:59 PM - 5 September, 2010
+1
serkan 10:02 PM - 5 September, 2010
+1
djfaq 7:04 PM - 4 October, 2010
+1
mos def
Smashy Smash 3:04 AM - 12 December, 2010
+1
I won't leave iTunes as I can sync my multiple computers to any of my iTunes library on any/all computers on Home Share. This is good for me as
1) I keep master music library on MacPro (tower)
2) Use macBookPro for gigs/backup
3) I use Smart Crates

For SSL, my Smart Crates show
but
Would like to layer Smart Crate features

ie 70s music (4&5 Star)
or
70s music (4&5 Star) [R&B]

It would be great to do this during a gig (where I do not have the time to create a specific crate for the bride & groom half way thru reception).
sunnylicious 4:47 PM - 14 March, 2011
I'd love this feature too..I was cleaning up my SSl library and realized that I could not move Smart crates as Sub Crates
music man 1:17 PM - 5 May, 2011
Yep, i have genre Hip-Hop and genre Rap.
Or Genre Dubstep and Genre Bass.
So i have only the Option to make 4 Smart Crates, each for every genre.
But i want Hip-Hop and Rap Genre together and same with Dubstep Bass.
No need to keep them seperated.
So make Subcrates or allow to add a second Genre.
Include Hip-hop+Include Rap=Not possible so far for Smart Crates.
BennyRockwell 4:54 PM - 5 October, 2012
+1
Jimmy Lawson 9:48 AM - 27 January, 2013
+1
The smart crate system works really well but does let itself down a little with regards to organising and simplifying the library as they can't be added to a collapse crate.
This would be a really useful feature where you have multiple genres.
WarpNote 2:38 AM - 28 January, 2013
Has been suggested elsewhere, but yeah, +1 for sure.
DJ TQ 5:53 PM - 7 February, 2013
+1
DJ Quality 11:09 PM - 10 February, 2013
+1
Will08272 5:51 PM - 11 February, 2013
I think they should take an approach similar to itunes have a crate folder and in the folder thrown all your smart crates inside.
serkan 9:29 AM - 15 February, 2013
Still +1 :)
evillevi 12:10 AM - 24 March, 2013
+1
Matt Allcock 10:40 PM - 25 March, 2013
Come on Serato, this was suggested by me almost 3 years ago.....
Jimmy Lawson 8:35 PM - 26 March, 2013
Where are the Serato representatives?
Any other long term Serato users noticed a significant decline in the Serato techie contribution to the forums?
SiRocket 12:51 AM - 11 April, 2013
SERIOUSLY!!! we need some SMART CRATE folder/collapsing options here... this is ridiculous.. sigh...

And yes i have noticed a huge decline... sigh....
VinnyBlanc 1:26 AM - 15 April, 2013
I would love to have an 80s smart crate with genre sub-smart crates or rock smart crate with sub smart crates for each decade. Etc...
serkan 8:34 PM - 15 April, 2013
Quote:
Where are the Serato representatives?
Any other long term Serato users noticed a significant decline in the Serato techie contribution to the forums?

True :(
SiRocket 9:01 PM - 15 April, 2013
there have been 4 bumped threads on this and no chime in.... super sad, even the state of scratchlive/serato/rane at namm this year was depressing.... lol
serkan 1:43 PM - 18 April, 2013
I think this is the problem. When you take a little time and do a search you will find maybe 10 threads for Scratch Live, ITCH, and Serato DJ with maybe 10 requesting people each.

So it always looks like something irrelevant. If someone somehow managed to bundle these requests and make enough people see it we could do some damage :)

In the meanwhile I deleted all my crates and am working with iTunes as a workaround. I love iTunes for it's capabilities and how it works with my iPhone or Apple TV but I hate to use it within Serato software. And don't get me wrong. I more or less like how iTunes libraries are handled within Algoriddim djay or MixVibes Recordbox but it's a disaster in SL/ITCH/DJ.

I remember a Serato rep who was quiet active in the forums in Winter 2011/2012 and how he liked the idea. He promised to pass the idea to the dev team.
I keep my fingers crossed :)

P.S.:
I still think this had to be done right from the start back in 2010 when smart crates were introduced with Scratch Live 2.0
brassmonkey411 10:49 PM - 2 May, 2013
If it helps... +1
Matt Allcock 10:57 PM - 2 May, 2013
I hope Martin C doesn't mind - I have sent him a PM directing him to this thread, just in case it has actually been missed for 3 years.

"Hi Martin

Sorry for the PM but I'd like to point out that a feature suggestion that I made 3 years ago has been bumped to the top of the forum many many times, has significant community support and we have not had any Serato representatives' feedback on this idea in the thread.

We would very much like your input please.

<link>

Many thanks
Matt"
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:45 PM - 2 May, 2013
Hey Matt,

You got my attention for sure. I do back you guys on this feature request, but unfortunately Im not the one to make it happen.

What I can do though, is log it as a feature request (I believe it has been already) and then I increase the number of people asking for it. If this number starts bubbling to the top with other big feature requests, the chances of it happening will increase.

All I can suggest now is to continue posting up here your support, and perhaps linking up threads in the other areas to this one so I could and get more accurate numbers, if you dont mind of course :)
Will08272 11:27 PM - 6 May, 2013
I made a thread suggesting that the sub smart crates work in a similar fasion as itunes, create a folder and have the sub smart crates inside the folder and then based on the rules of the particular sub smart crates further sub crates can be made from the parent sub smart crate. Itunes smart playlist have an option if you hold down the option key the user can have the playlist include songs following any of the rules which will allow for multiple genres within the playlist and not conflict with a previous rule.
SiRocket 7:07 AM - 8 May, 2013
will. good points!!! this is making me want to use itunes again, but have been itunes free for over 3 years lol!
serkan 8:13 AM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:

All I can suggest now is to continue posting up here your support, and perhaps linking up threads in the other areas to this one so I could and get more accurate numbers, if you dont mind of course :)

You can do this?
You'll be my hero! :)
Matt Allcock 9:55 AM - 13 June, 2013
Thanks Martin C, really appreciate your support.

This has to be one of the longest standing and more popular feature requests that has been overlooked!
SiRocket 5:39 AM - 17 June, 2013
YESSSSS
WarpNote 3:04 PM - 20 June, 2013
Still would love this, also Smart Crates seems broken between SDJ and SSL...
serato.com
Muzik Hunter 4:00 PM - 21 June, 2013
+1
djnutz82 11:35 AM - 8 July, 2013
+100 most definitely need this feature
Pmore 1:46 PM - 1 September, 2013
+1
DJ Wizard Sleeve 9:35 AM - 20 October, 2013
God yes this is a feature most needed - shame it has been in discussion for 3 years with no progress.

I like splitting my music up for mood for example
I have my overall "Drum & Bass" one, then underneath
DnB - Chill
DnB - Tech
DnB - Neuro
DnB - Drumfunk
DnB - Sub
DnB - Heavy
DnB - Female Vocals
DnB - Jumpup
etc etc - and I obsessively do this for all the genres I play

It would be great to be able to have them all in the sub smart crates
And each sub crate have sub crates too... eg Chill might also have a sub of Amen, Female Vocal etc.

I program it all with the "grouping contains x" - really easy to use, just needs to be neater!
scornille 12:47 PM - 17 December, 2013
+1 : It's very important for large databases ...
I have a classification by style (for example Dance) and wan't to manage by Years ...
I'd love :
Dance
- 1990-2000
- 2000-2010
- 2010 ...
Laz219 1:20 AM - 18 December, 2013
+1
I mostly just want this so I can collapse an extensive list of smart crates down so it's only taking up one line when I'm not using the crates.
AKIEM 5:13 AM - 18 December, 2013
kinda ridiculous not being able to collapse them
SiRocket 8:13 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
+1
I mostly just want this so I can collapse an extensive list of smart crates down so it's only taking up one line when I'm not using the crates.

THIS!
DJ Wizard Sleeve 12:48 PM - 19 December, 2013
+1

I know I already posted but I thought I would add this

This thread is currently the most populated Smart Subcrate thread including this post it takes it to 47 I believe

but there are others - perhaps we should respond to them and get them to post in this one?

So as I said this thread: serato.com - 47 responses
serato.com - 3 responses
serato.com - over 30 responses
serato.com - 1 post
serato.com - 4 posts
serato.com - 2 posts
serato.com - 2 posts
serato.com - 3 posts

and that was just a few seconds of searching...
dj-mase 9:17 PM - 20 December, 2013
+1 That would be Great
Jimmy Lawson 9:17 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Hey Matt,

You got my attention for sure. I do back you guys on this feature request, but unfortunately Im not the one to make it happen.

What I can do though, is log it as a feature request (I believe it has been already) and then I increase the number of people asking for it. If this number starts bubbling to the top with other big feature requests, the chances of it happening will increase.

Hasn't this been a request for long enough and by enough people that it's time to do something. I never read about Scratch Live users wanting software changed so they can't use their SL1 (glad I sold that one last year).

It seems like a real common sense request. I now avoid smart crates as they just clutter up my library. They are a great idea to help organise you music, but without being able to organise them they don't even achieve half the job.
PLEASE, you've got to 1.6 on DJ, let see this by 1.7 eh!
DJ TQ 3:48 AM - 5 February, 2014
This is the only reason I continue to use iTunes to manage my library. I couldn't bare to have all those crates!!!
Jimmy Lawson 9:49 AM - 16 February, 2014
I've found iTunes an absolute pile of the proverbial causing allsorts of problems with my music library, mostly rendering some of the tracks unplayable. Subsequently I wouldn't put it on my computer if I didn't need it & quicktime.
Perhaps Serato will shouold a program that doesn't need to rely on a third party program to run.,
DJ Wizard Sleeve 9:57 AM - 16 February, 2014
I don't have iTunes and serato runs fine for me...

I hate iTunes... Odd to hate a bit of software I know, but it is so crap.
Laz219 9:59 AM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
I've found iTunes an absolute pile of the proverbial causing allsorts of problems with my music library, mostly rendering some of the tracks unplayable. Subsequently I wouldn't put it on my computer if I didn't need it & quicktime.
Perhaps Serato will shouold a program that doesn't need to rely on a third party program to run.,

Serato in no way relies on itunes, it is simply an option provided as a lot of people do use it. It will run standalone with excellent file management.
djmacklong 2:07 AM - 28 February, 2014
Bump for this feature. COME ON SMART SUBCRATES!
jmanly3 3:44 PM - 27 April, 2014
Bump and a +1 on this. It is too messy, having a bunch of smart crates on the left-hand side. I just wish I could break it down more. I have so many different crates for the subgenres, why not allow us to put them in a folder or something?
DJ Wizard Sleeve 7:08 AM - 23 July, 2014
Caaaamaaaaaan let's have em.
brassmonkey411 6:37 AM - 5 August, 2014
My smart crate list is ridiculously long, would love to be able to collapse it!

Surely this wouldn't take much to add - it's not like the parent smart crate would even need to adopt tracks from it's children smart crates, right?!?
DJ Wizard Sleeve 8:04 AM - 5 August, 2014
Although it would make sense if it did brassmonkey

main folder rule genre = "enter genre here"
Sub folder rule = where in above folder and grouping contains "enter grouping here"

but you are right... the primary folder could just be a "container" for the folder and the rules could be independent of each other.
djmacklong 11:01 PM - 5 August, 2014
One of the Serato guys chimed in a while back and said this is among the list of new features in SDJ 1.7 which will be released next month.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:17 AM - 6 August, 2014
That is not true, where did you read that?
djmacklong 3:44 AM - 6 August, 2014
I can't remember. This was a couple months ago. It's possible I'm thinking of another new feature, but one of your Serato guys chimed in with "normally we don't jump in ahead of a release and disclose new features, but..." I could've sworn this is what he was talking about.
djmacklong 3:45 AM - 6 August, 2014
If it's not happening in 1.7, that's pretty disappointing because a crazy amount of guys are waiting on this.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:22 AM - 6 August, 2014
Sorry its disappointing, but we did a few other features that were being demanded pretty heavily. We won't forget about this one though and will try and include it when possible.
djmacklong 6:04 AM - 6 August, 2014
The changes to cue sorting and the midi panel were important things to add -- no doubt about that -- but library management is paramount. This shouldn't continually be passed off and overlooked as a fleeting annoyance.
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:59 AM - 6 August, 2014
We certainly don't look at like that - we can't wait to improve the library and add features like this! :)
DJ Wizard Sleeve 8:32 AM - 6 August, 2014
I understand there is a lot of development your guys have to do and appreciate all the hard work.

There havent been any updates I've found particularly useful in the last releases.. In fact there are only two things I would find useful...

1. Sub smart crates
2. Non shaky waveforms (regardless of zoom, yes red all the files and watch YouTube vids ) on PC

There is also one nice to have..
You remember traktor 3... It had that mix recorder that recorded the touches you did so you could mix and then do after tweaks before exporting the final recording.

That isn't something needed but is something that would be fun to play around with.

I'm not saying by any means what I would find useful should take priority.. But I do get disappointed each time I download the update and find nothing in there for me...
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:20 PM - 6 August, 2014
I am sorry you find the updates disappointing. I hope we can deliver something more interesting to you in an update soon.

Quote:
You remember traktor 3... It had that mix recorder that recorded the touches you did so you could mix and then do after tweaks before exporting the final recording.

Never heard of that feature? Do you have a video or something where I could learn about it?

Based on your explanation it sort of sounds like the "mixtape" feature we used to have in Scratch Live.

Laz219 1:14 PM - 10 August, 2014
I never got to use it (because at the time I didn't have the right mixer) but mixtape always seemed like the best feature of the bridge.
SiRocket 3:57 PM - 10 August, 2014
Did someone say mixtape????? Let's take a step forward!!! Ahhhhh :)
djmacklong 5:40 AM - 10 November, 2014
Anything new on this? Or are we still ignoring the amount of users that want this?
Frzbee 9:53 PM - 5 May, 2015
Gotta +1 this one again. My shit be gettin cluttered. :P
deejbazqld 6:35 AM - 17 August, 2015
Hey Serato - it's been 5 years and 2 months since this was suggested - I still don't understand why we can have sub-folders for crates, but not sub-crates!

All these years of waiting, and organizing my collection and now this is the is only major obstacle in my workflow. From the start Serato has been a terrific product, and between your company and Rane, some of the quickest and most reliable customer support I have ever experienced online.

I'm a long time Serato user and supporter but really dissapointed that this feature is still not available, please bring in sub-folders for smart crates....please!
deejbazqld 6:37 AM - 17 August, 2015
Correction: Where I say "I still don't understand why we can have sub-folders for crates, but not SUB-crates!"

I meant to say, I still don't understand why we can have sub-folders for crates, but not for SMART crates!
djmacklong 3:02 PM - 17 August, 2015
Rane has nothing to do with this, or any other software problems. They are hardware only. Might as well blame Pioneer and Numark for your software issues as well.
deejbazqld 2:26 AM - 18 August, 2015
I apologize, I did not mean to imply that I blame Rane - I was speaking in general terms with regards to my personal experiences - half of my message is about the forum suggesion, the other half is expressing my frustration after a 5 year wait.

The main point I would love to hear feedback about is SUB SMART CRATES.

Any idea on a timeframe SERATO?

Cheers.
djmacklong 5:24 AM - 18 August, 2015
<like>
DJ Wizard Sleeve 11:16 PM - 19 August, 2015
Perhaps they are just hoping that we move to different software?
deejbazqld 1:23 AM - 25 August, 2015
Sorry to bring bad news, but this is the reply I got from Serato;

"Thanks for getting in touch.

It is a great idea that I'd love to see in Serato DJ myself. The products team are aware of the requested feature however I still can't give you a confirmation on when it will be available.

Kind Regards,
**Jordan Lee**
**Customer Support**"

.....been waiting since this was first suggested in 2010 extremely unhappy.
djmacklong 6:12 AM - 25 August, 2015
Because the ideas of their users don't matter.
deejbazqld 1:55 AM - 24 September, 2015
SiRocket 2:08 AM - 19 November, 2015
Since serato isn't listening... Add your thoughts, complaints, bugs, vents, etc here -> www.fixseratodj.com
WarpNote 6:13 AM - 19 November, 2015
You crack me up Ricky...
SiRocket 3:17 PM - 19 November, 2015
:)
DJ Wizard Sleeve 7:32 PM - 11 December, 2015
Quote:
serato.com

that's a more recent version of this topic, if anything you should link them back here... this has been requested for so long... as a developer I cannot understand what is taking them so long.
deejbazqld 6:19 AM - 12 December, 2015
I sent them an email with a message as well as the links to all the relevant forums here and they did not reply - worryingly, that is the first time they have ever ignored me : (

I'd be happy to switch to Serato Dj if it could actually handle a large collection.
djmacklong 5:35 PM - 14 December, 2015
Guys...if you hadn't noticed, this is posted in the Scratch Live forum. It will NEVER gain any further traction if you keep requesting and posting here. Not that it'll do any good, but if you want feature updates, focus on the Serato DJ forum.
deejbazqld 1:53 AM - 12 February, 2016
I only use Scratch Live!

Serato staff have told us to keep posting here as well as providing links to other similar forum requests.

They've just released a brand new product and still ignored that many requests.....will we have to wait another 6 years?
deejbazqld 1:20 AM - 13 February, 2016
Got an answer this morning;

"Nested Smart Crates is sir thing we've got planned as part of bigger library improvements coming soon. I can't say when this will happen but it's highly requested and something we're wanting to develop."
SiRocket 4:05 PM - 2 April, 2016
Serato can never say when it will happen because they are just stringing us alone.

They are providing features that they think we will need instead of features that we are asking for.

Not to mention they aren't polishing the features they are bringing to the table. :(
deejbazqld 12:13 AM - 22 June, 2016
Serato Dj 19.2 BETA now supports Sub-Smart Crates.
serato.com