Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Smart Sub Crates

Entro 3:57 PM - 11 April, 2014
Smart crates are awesome, but currently you can't make them sub crates. This is not awesome. Totally clutters up your library.

It would be WAY more useful to be able to put smart crates into container crates like "Key", then smart crates for every key, and "BPM Range" etc.

To avoid conflicting rules, the container crate can just hold ALL the tracks currently in the smart crates (regardless of rules). It's just a visual container folder anyway.

I've seen this feature request on the forum since 2012. Would be REALLY nice to see it added.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 11:55 PM - 13 April, 2014
+1!!!
Don't know why serato doesn't have this feature...
Draven1327 5:02 PM - 14 April, 2014
yes!!!
DJ Compiler 6:05 AM - 16 April, 2014
+1
Wizzu 7:32 PM - 17 April, 2014
+1

Would get rid of lots of clutter in the left pane. :-)

Would also go strongly in the direction of a true relational database of audio files. Which, incidentally, is probably the reason why they didn't do it (yet?), since implementing such a database system is not an easy thing to do properly.

And sometimes, the users don't even get it, which must be frustrating for the developers.

Serato is already miles ahead the competition in this regard and many users don't even notice it: many are happy with Traktor's awful database!

I don't care about them though (lol), and I, for one, would be extremely happy with a fully implemented/nested smartcrate system.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 5:00 PM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
Would also go strongly in the direction of a true relational database of audio files. Which, incidentally, is probably the reason why they didn't do it (yet?), since implementing such a database system is not an easy thing to do properly.

Do you mean have a copy of the song in a folder for each crate?
Wizzu 7:11 AM - 19 April, 2014
Quote:
Do you mean have a copy of the song in a folder for each crate?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it doesn't sound at all like what I have in mind. Actually it even sounds like the opposite (having several copies of the same song file in different places is exactly what these music databases try to avoid like the plague, with good reason).

My "relational database" comment was directed to people who actually know what a relational database is. For the others, I for one couldn't explain this concept in 5 minutes in a forum. I can't even recommend you the Wiki, since there it's not explained in layman terms either.

Let's just say that one of the features this could bring, is having given smartcrates with a given set of rules, automatically appearing as subcrates: either as subcrates of root crates, or as subrates in other smartcrates.

It sound kinda complicated when put like that, I know, i know... lol... I'll try and come up with a real-life example later. But IMO this could solve an old problem of being able to cross-reference music by multiple genres and sub-genres.

If you don't heavily tag your files and/or you just usually resort to moving songs into crates, there is nothing interesting for you here :-)
serkan 8:46 PM - 22 April, 2014
+1
DJ Trice 11:26 AM - 23 April, 2014
+1
kraakhelder 8:38 AM - 29 April, 2014
YEAH! +1
tekamafo 5:35 AM - 30 April, 2014
+1
AdamWhite 5:45 PM - 20 May, 2014
+1
Will08272 5:09 PM - 21 May, 2014
+1 million i hope that is enough.
Davideon 8:19 PM - 21 May, 2014
+1 definitely needed
DJCY 4:19 AM - 27 May, 2014
+1 for subcrates,

good idea to be able to have folders under folders, but also have SDJ auto re-load these crates on startup, and scan all sub folders, and create sub crates, including any track changes (additions or deletions),

That way in you could really just have a master crate (a folder on your computer that all dj content is under) and then SDJ would scan and create all sub crates on load everytime, updating with any of your changes. This would the best solution as all you would have to do is manage your files on your computer and SDJ takes care of the rest.
Wizzu 11:39 AM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:
+1 for subcrates,

good idea to be able to have folders under folders, but also have SDJ auto re-load these crates on startup, and scan all sub folders, and create sub crates, including any track changes (additions or deletions),

That way in you could really just have a master crate (a folder on your computer that all dj content is under) and then SDJ would scan and create all sub crates on load everytime, updating with any of your changes. This would the best solution as all you would have to do is manage your files on your computer and SDJ takes care of the rest.
This is a totally different thing you're asking for. Actually for what you want to do, there is already a third-party utility allowing it: code.google.com

Smartcrates are based on tags, not on file location. The same file can be in a dozen different smarcrates but in only one folder (thanks God!), that's the whole point... :-)
DJ SP (UK) 7:10 PM - 22 June, 2014
+1

I've wanted this feature since smart crates first appeared in Scratch Live and it would be great if Serato would implement it in DJ!

I use the genre and grouping fields extensively to tag my tracks and create smart crates based on these tags, but not being able to group these crates is somewhat annoying and creates a lot of clutter in the crates column.
Will08272 8:02 PM - 22 June, 2014
All that has to be done is copy itunes in the way folders and smart playlist are added to those folders. Although there are some smart crate rules that arent in scratch live/sdj that wouldnt allow for certain playlist to not be created.
Wizzu 7:00 AM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
I use the genre and grouping fields extensively to tag my tracks and create smart crates based on these tags, but not being able to group these crates is somewhat annoying and creates a lot of clutter in the crates column.
Exactly! ☺
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:10 AM - 24 June, 2014
Hey guys,

We are real keen to make this happen, so hopefully it will happen soon, but unfortunately I can't say exactly when. Great to hear you guys make use of smart crates! Don't stop asking for this feature :)
DJ SP (UK) 10:45 AM - 26 June, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys,

We are real keen to make this happen, so hopefully it will happen soon, but unfortunately I can't say exactly when. Great to hear you guys make use of smart crates! Don't stop asking for this feature :)

That's good to hear!
beatgital@gmail.com 2:09 PM - 26 June, 2014
+1
djcoma1200 6:49 PM - 23 August, 2014
+1. I'm still using iTunes because I can put their smart playlists into as many folders and sub-folders as I want. This is literally the only reason I still use iTunes with Serato and I would love to get rid of it for good.
Trini868 2:15 PM - 6 September, 2014
+1. Smart sub crates will be a huge help to those of us who play Caribbean/Latin American Music.

A great example would be Jamaican Dancehall Reggae "Riddims." There may be tens (or hundreds in some cases) of songs with the same underlying music or Riddim, with more being added (either by remix or re-release) regularly. Some classic Reggaeton also used Dancehall riddims as well e.g. Ivy Queen - "Yo Quiero Bailar" (2003) is on the Liquid Riddim originally released in 2001.

Note: It is not uncommon for significant amounts of classic Dancehall to be played in Caribbean parties/clubs on any given day.

This concept of riddims crossed over into Soca music - and here is where the confusion comes in. There are now Soca Riddims and Dancehall Riddims with the same name but completely different music.

As such smart crates for a particular riddim, by year, as sub crates for a genre smart crate, makes a world of sense to me.
Will08272 10:25 PM - 13 September, 2014
This needs to be implemented soon, so we can all not need itunes anymore. We have bump this to the top so it can get added sooner.
SkydiverFL 1:33 AM - 25 September, 2014
+1
DJMaytag 8:26 PM - 1 October, 2014
+1
zoomwire 8:42 PM - 1 October, 2014
+1
Riko Roos 8:29 AM - 2 October, 2014
Quite handy. Saw the Record Buddy 2 demo yesterday which is actually what we are requesting here. Even more...
DJ SP (UK) 4:03 PM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
Quite handy. Saw the Record Buddy 2 demo yesterday which is actually what we are requesting here. Even more...

I saw the Record Buddy 2 demo too, it looks perfect! I think it'll be my preferred solution over iTunes playlists or native Serato/Traktor crates/playlists, as it'll allow me to switch between different DJ software without having to manage multiple libraries!
swift807 3:28 AM - 10 October, 2014
+1

Focus on the MUSIC ! DJin is SELECTIONS but there hasn't been any features for the Library in years.
Cwite 6:43 PM - 16 October, 2014
+1
Nacho Ruiz 6:11 PM - 26 November, 2014
+1
DJ-Rodrigo 11:14 AM - 6 July, 2015
+1
Marv Incredible 3:59 AM - 7 July, 2015
+1
serkan 9:51 AM - 17 July, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys,

We are real keen to make this happen, so hopefully it will happen soon, but unfortunately I can't say exactly when. Great to hear you guys make use of smart crates!

Unfortunately you (Serato, not you in person) already said when ;)
Quote:

Don't stop asking for this feature :)

OK. So I won't stop posting this video :)
Watchvimeo.com @ 17:35
BleedR 2:33 PM - 18 July, 2015
+1

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

We are real keen to make this happen, so hopefully it will happen soon, but unfortunately I can't say exactly when. Great to hear you guys make use of smart crates!

Quote:

LoL, they said soon, 11 months ago...
DJ Max25 2:13 PM - 21 July, 2015
+1
The Despicable Nyan Cat 2:40 PM - 3 August, 2015
26 +1s so far (now 27)
David Wallin 6:33 AM - 4 August, 2015
+1
deejbazqld 6:40 AM - 17 August, 2015
Please implement sub-folders for smart crates ASAP!

We have been waiting 5 years +
bohlrocka 11:18 PM - 21 August, 2015
+1
deejbazqld 1:23 AM - 25 August, 2015
Sorry to bring bad news, but this is the reply I got from Serato;

"Thanks for getting in touch.

It is a great idea that I'd love to see in Serato DJ myself. The products team are aware of the requested feature however I still can't give you a confirmation on when it will be available.

Kind Regards,
**Jordan Lee**
**Customer Support**"

.....been waiting since this was first suggested in 2010 extremely unhappy.
Davideon 5:16 AM - 25 August, 2015
Quote:

It is a great idea that I'd love to see in Serato DJ myself. The products team are aware of the requested feature however I still can't give you a confirmation on when it will be available.

Kind Regards,
**Jordan Lee**
**Customer Support**"

That's not bad news. It's good they've confirmed recognition. They've never said when something will be implemented
deejbazqld 2:38 AM - 26 August, 2015
They confirmed recognition already over 2 YEARS ago!!

"What I can do though, is log it as a feature request (I believe it has been already) and then I increase the number of people asking for it. If this number starts bubbling to the top with other big feature requests, the chances of it happening will increase.

All I can suggest now is to continue posting up here your support, and perhaps linking up threads in the other areas to this one so I could and get more accurate numbers, if you dont mind of course :)

Martin C 9:45 AM - 3 May, 2013"

serato.com
Davideon 5:43 AM - 26 August, 2015
Oh I know. This is one of the main features that I want. And it's another case of simple coding
Wizzu 1:26 PM - 26 August, 2015
Quote:
And it's another case of simple coding
Not necessarily so. If they decide to go for full implementation (which implies nested/crossed criterias), it can be tricky. If it's merely to group smartcrates in folders, though, it's indeed extremeley easy... and should have been there right from the start to avoid clutter.
Wizzu 1:33 PM - 26 August, 2015
Quote:
(which implies nested/crossed criterias)
Which is actually what I'd want.

A concrete example:

. Smarcrate "Bangers", criteria: [comment contains "Banger"]
. Smartcrate "Speedy tracks", criteria: [BPM > 130]

Dragging the "Bangers" smartcrate into the "Speedy Tracks" smartcrate, would make the "Bangers" smartcrate also taking the parent criteria [BPM > 130] into account.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 3:44 AM - 27 August, 2015
Unless Serato makes each smart-crate completely separate from each other, regardless of how they are arranged (so in your example, bangers wouldn't take in BPM > 130).
deejbazqld 6:15 AM - 27 August, 2015
I just want smart crates in folders - surely it can't take 5 years to figure that out!

".....and should have been there right from the start"
Wizzu 8:52 AM - 27 August, 2015
Quote:
Unless Serato makes each smart-crate completely separate from each other, regardless of how they are arranged (so in your example, bangers wouldn't take in BPM > 130).
Yes, of course. It's not what I personally wish, but it would still be waaaay better than the current situation.
The Despicable Nyan Cat 2:59 PM - 27 August, 2015
good point.
serkan 11:40 AM - 11 September, 2015
Quote:

Kind Regards,
**Jordan Lee**
**Customer Support**"

It's not bad news for me either.
The case with Serato is:
Even if it's planned for 1.7.9 and be released in 3 hours they'll say "we can't say when".
It's their company policy: "You will know when it's there. Now it's not."
Quote:

They've never said when something will be implemented

But they did :)
Quote:

Quote:

Hey guys,

Quote:

Frozone 6:22 PM - 14 September, 2015
+100
deejbazqld 1:55 AM - 24 September, 2015
+101
romie rangel 2:03 PM - 16 October, 2015
+1
Zut Alors 10:25 PM - 28 November, 2015
+1 Come on guys, my left hand panel is an ugly mess
KARL KANE 11:39 PM - 29 November, 2015
+1
PtipereMuzik 8:36 AM - 30 November, 2015
+1
JayDJ130 9:13 PM - 4 December, 2015
+1
djmacklong 5:36 PM - 14 December, 2015
Any time now...
Joe Fresh 11:57 PM - 15 December, 2015
Maybe in 1.8.2??

Fingers crossed.

I also wouldn't mind if the Smart Crate Rules window (when you're making a new smart crate) stopped doing that weird random colored dropdown menu bug. Why that hasn't been fixed by now is beyond my comprehension abilities.

But yeah, smart sub crates please.
popnwave 12:11 AM - 16 December, 2015
That's a big feature, I like the idea but I think that would be at least a full release number 2.x or 1.9.
MurdoX 8:40 AM - 16 December, 2015
+1
Rich1000 8:32 AM - 22 December, 2015
Some form of this is clearly needed. My vote goes to the nested rules option where tunes in a crate have to pass the rules of each smart create in turn right up to the top layer.
Padzilla 8:59 AM - 22 December, 2015
+1
Zut Alors 9:49 PM - 22 December, 2015
On the nested rules option, I don't think it would be ideal in every scenario - I'd dearly love to have smartcrates where one of the rules is 'tune is in crate/smartcrate x', but I don't necessarily want to have the crate tucked away as a subcrate. For example, when I'm preparing for a night, I put all the tunes I might want to play in a crate, and then I want a whole load of crates that subdivide those tunes by genre, bpm, key etc. However, when I'm playing I want to have those crates at the top level in my structure, rather than burried deep.

The main thing I want smart subcrates for is to tidy away all the smartcrates I've made for keys, genres etc, so that I'm not just scrolling endlessly through the left-hand pane.
Zut Alors 9:51 PM - 22 December, 2015
Also, we really need the ability to add ANDs, ORs and parentheses to the rules on subcrates, while I'm thinking about it....
Rich1000 1:45 PM - 23 December, 2015
Zut Alors, I think you might be right. Just the ability to stash smart crates away in standard crates would be great and would avoid complicated rules - I've changed my mind! Also the OR option would be great, and why not have an 'added in the last x days' rule while we're at it.
popnwave 4:02 PM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Zut Alors, I think you might be right. Just the ability to stash smart crates away in standard crates would be great and would avoid complicated rules - I've changed my mind! Also the OR option would be great, and why not have an 'added in the last x days' rule while we're at it.

+1 faptastic
masterdeeno 4:18 AM - 6 February, 2016
+1

to either subcrate

or use of operands ("e.g. bpm less than or equal to 130 AND genre contains electro OR genre contains techno")
deejbazqld 1:54 AM - 12 February, 2016
C'mon Serato.... you got time to build & release a new product but can't add a much requested feature that we've been waiting for snce 2010.
popnwave 4:56 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
C'mon Serato.... you got time to build & release a new product but can't add a much requested feature that we've been waiting for snce 2010.

I'm sure it's completely different dev teams.. so cmon yourself.
deejbazqld 1:19 AM - 13 February, 2016
Why would you bother to write such a comment on a Feature suggestion forum?

1 - Serato have told me to keep posting here and building support.

2 - Serato gave me this message this morning;

"Nested Smart Crates is a thing we've got planned as part of bigger library improvements coming soon. I can't say when this will happen but it's highly requested and something we're wanting to develop."
popnwave 2:24 PM - 15 February, 2016
Quote:
Why would you bother to write such a comment on a Feature suggestion forum?

1 - Serato have told me to keep posting here and building support.

2 - Serato gave me this message this morning;

"Nested Smart Crates is a thing we've got planned as part of bigger library improvements coming soon. I can't say when this will happen but it's highly requested and something we're wanting to develop."

Because most of us already commented about how support would for this feature would be nice, without being pedantic about it.
deejbazqld 10:24 PM - 15 February, 2016
Build a bridge mate.
popnwave 12:52 AM - 16 February, 2016
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
trash2 3:37 PM - 9 April, 2016
I want to filter out all tracks from the year 2015 in an already existing crate. I thought to be able to do this via the smart crates but then the filtering is done on my entire library, not on that 1 particular crate...

So I guess this (for me quite basic request) would also be solved with nested smart crates?
Jzzen 12:22 PM - 9 May, 2016
C'mon Serato!! Bring us Sub Smart crates!!!!

I've just moved to subcrates and I'm not feeling the large amount of them clogging up space.
Gtaris 6:39 PM - 14 May, 2016
+1 for Sub Smart crates, also waiting for this for a very long time and regularly checking the forum for this.

I would then be able to have smart crates with a specific criteria (ex : music genre) and put sub smart crates with extra criteria's into it (ex : year or tempo or a specific comment).
That would really be awesome and a very nice feature to promote!

Note : the way iTunes playlists work with a Folder and then playlists under it would also be a positive change at first to tidy up the left pane and I think easier to implement :)
steven wynen 7:26 AM - 6 June, 2016
+1
deejbazqld 12:12 AM - 22 June, 2016
Serato Dj 19.2 BETA now supports Sub-Smart Crates.
serato.com
steven wynen 3:58 AM - 22 June, 2016
Finally!!!!
Super
Le Frique 2:35 PM - 22 June, 2016
Thanx...
Davideon 2:15 PM - 26 June, 2016
About time
SkydiverFL 2:28 PM - 10 July, 2016
Finally! Thanks, Serato developers! =)
acemc 8:45 PM - 3 August, 2016
Over 2yrs to implement, but at last it's here.
Thanks Serato.
DJ Ravien 10:52 PM - 3 August, 2016
Still disagree that these are "smart sub crates" These are the same smart crates with the ability to add them to a regular crate which imo should have been available from the start. Better? yes, Smart? Not really.
deejbazqld 1:16 AM - 4 August, 2016
Quote:
...same smart crates with the ability to add them to a regular crate which imo should have been available from the start. .

Well said.
AKIEM 2:49 AM - 4 August, 2016
Yup
Will08272 3:30 PM - 1 May, 2017
Bump once again, there is surely no way this one can escape SDJ 2.0 can it guys.
SkydiverFL 3:44 PM - 1 May, 2017
I've been using the NOT-SO-Smart Crates function for some time. I'm disappointed.

IMHO: For a crate to be "smart" it should INHERIT the logic from the parent crate.

EXAMPLE: The top crate only shows "EDM". A smart crate UNDER the "EDM" crate could be able to further filter those tracks by BPM. The THIRD crate (under BPM) should be able to add ANOTHER filter (artist, key, etc.).
deejbazqld 12:16 AM - 2 May, 2017
I mainly use the smart crates to organise tracks without clutter so I am pretty happy with it.

With your example, could you first make the 'EDM" crate, and then duplicate it inside that folder & add the BPM filter...... and then so on?

I reckon they should add an extra option on the right-click button to make it a "super" smart crate - that way we could have both options/filtering of crates
Will08272 12:37 AM - 2 May, 2017
Quote:
I've been using the NOT-SO-Smart Crates function for some time. I'm disappointed.

IMHO: For a crate to be "smart" it should INHERIT the logic from the parent crate.

EXAMPLE: The top crate only shows "EDM". A smart crate UNDER the "EDM" crate could be able to further filter those tracks by BPM. The THIRD crate (under BPM) should be able to add ANOTHER filter (artist, key, etc.).

This is essentially whats been being asked for so long, Main smart crate then the child crate will just serve to further filter from the parent crate.
djmacklong 6:59 PM - 5 October, 2017
Guys...this has been a feature for a while now.
denats 3:52 AM - 21 February, 2019
+1
Hotade 3:24 PM - 22 March, 2019
+1
djmacklong 9:31 PM - 27 March, 2019
Guys...this has been a thing for literally YEARS now.