Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Pioneer CD-2000Nexus/900SRT Extreme Lag on Screen

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DJM-900SRT
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
deejdave 1:32 AM - 14 January, 2014
Hi there. I am forever helping out on here and now it seems I am on the opposite end. I guess my luck has run out LOL.

SO Here goes.............

I can connect the CDJ-2000 Nexus's to the laptop and the SRT. Everything works fine UNTIL I connect the external to the laptop. This is a totally new issue. When I have both everything connected it all goes to crap.

When I have the DDJ-SX connected it works fine. I haven't tried with the Rane 64 yet as its in storage.

When I click on a smaller crate and browse it the screen is smooth as anything. The second I go into ALL or a larger crate the screen on the laptop AS WELL AS the CDJ's get all laggy & choppy. The SOUND is unaffected. The sound is spot on and no issues there but visually this is horrible. Furthermore this IS a NEW issue and even when I go to a smaller library the issue still is present. I can use the DJM-900SRT and use the laptop transport controls and browse ANY crate so I would assume it IS NOT the SRT BUT the SECOND I turn on the first CDJ it gets a little laggy, then the other CDJ gets powered on (twice as laggy now) connect the first CDJ by pressing LINK (about twice as laggy than right before) connect the second CDJ and about twice again. It seems to progressively double with each step of adding the CDJ's. Again the CDJ screen seems DEAD ON with the lag as in it flashes (or refreshes) at the same rate as the laptop screen. The flashing on the CDJ includes the regular screen as well as the platter screen.

I have already updated all firmwares 1.10 on SRT 1.21 on Nexus's

1.6.0 1st build
1.6.0 most current build
All the same

I have tried swapping out USB hubs. When I eliminate the Hub and connect both the CDJ & The SRT (obviously the SRT has always been connected directly to the laptop anyways) directly to the laptop the problem is still present.

I have tried 1 TB, 500 GB, & 320 TB external HDD's. I have used both USB & thunderbolt. The thunderbolt is my most recent upgrade to try and eliminate this issue. So far I have spent $380 trying to fix this LOL. New USB cables, everything properly grounded throughout system, plugged in & batter still there.

I have tried playing with the buffer and I can go down to 2 MS with no issues. But this issue stays no matter where it is set. I have also tried playing with the refresh rate for screen.

Like I said this problem is non existent with the DDJ-SX. Furthermore when I place the focus (click on something else or TAB) anywhere else like History, or SP6 or something the problem goes away and everything again is as smooth as van be.

I try to help as much as possible. Please keep this in mind and help me get to the bottom of this.
deejdave 1:36 AM - 14 January, 2014
OH yeah the worst part. This came out of nowhere. as in NO updates, no hardware change, no music added, etc. Furthermore I use this on a laptop that is way overspec'ed as in MacBook Pro 2012 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, with the thunderbolt drive. I am now using it on the stock 2012 I have being 2.9 GHZ i7, 8 GB Ram, 750 GB HDD. I will test on my 2007 MacBook Pro in about an hr. Furthermore the laptop is NEVER connected to the internet unless updating the software. The Bluetooth is also off.
deejdave 2:41 AM - 14 January, 2014
Tried it on the other laptop and confirm this is the same on all three MacBook Pro's.
deejdave 10:24 PM - 15 January, 2014
Uh HUH!?!
DJ-FIX 12:00 PM - 16 January, 2014
Did you make any progress?
deejdave 9:21 PM - 16 January, 2014
Some on my own but I was hoping to hear from the big boys. I have narrowed it down and this absolutely has to do with size of crates Vs. use of CDJ-2000Nexus's but that is about it.
wadup 10:13 PM - 16 January, 2014
Dave does it look anything like this on ur laptop....

Watchwww.youtube.com
deejdave 10:55 PM - 16 January, 2014
I wish it looked like that. I'm uploading video right now. You won't believe what you're about to see!! When I say lag I mean LAGG

Let me explain video while i'm uploading it.

I start out playing with laptop with nothing connected. ALL GOOD

Then I turn on CDJ one still OK (This time for some reason) but it usually gets a little laggy.

Then I trun on 2nd CDJ where it starts to get laggy but it usually doubles or freezes the screen completely.

The I connect CDJ's and you see the super LAG

Then i browse through dif size folders and you see the difference.

SOUND IS NEVER AFFECTED BTW

Then I go back & forth between ALL and Browse & prepare tabs etc.

Then I do pretty much the same just showing the CDJ screens which lag at same intervals as Laptop screen.

UPDATE: I JUST the CDJ's with the DDJ-SX instead and YES the exact same thing happens. Exactly as id does with the SRT so that rules out the SRT as the fault.

NOW for the details. I swear I am NOT trying to brag with anything I say as this is for full disclosure.

My library is in no way typical. I have all music in every genre organized by year of release back to 2005 and even month of release back to 2011 so my crates will look like this:

> Country
> Mainstream
> Classic Folder
> Tools
> Albums
> Rock
> Dance Folder
> Classic House
> Freestyle
> 90's Dance
> 2000 - 2005 Dance
> 2006 Dance
> 2007 Dance
> 2008 Dance
> 2009 Dance
> 2010 Dance
> 2011 Dance
> 2012 Dance
> 2013 Dance
> Jan 2013
> Feb 2013
> March 2013
> Main
> Trap
> Dubstep

ETC ETC ECT

So would this be a problem of too many crates & subcrates and if it is why is it ONLY brought out when I use my CDJ's?

Furthermore I have 85,000+ songs (all great quality) with the library being 100% SYNCed between Traktor & Rekordbox (Cue Points, loops, comments, & all)
Speaking of cue points I have about 35,000 of them with cue points set & labeled. Does any of this EXCESSIVE tagging hurt anything?

I am seriously just wondering why it is ONLY the CDJ's that bring thiss issue out. ANY other software FINE, DDJ-SX by itself FINE all day no matter what FX, how many decks playing etc. Can't even get a little lag. Lastly this happend out of nowhere!!!! I was using 1.6 EVERYDAY for about a 2 weeks. Then I give it a break. Then I go to use to try and duplicate a different users issue (which I couldnt BTW) and this happened!! WTF!?!?!?
deejdave 10:56 PM - 16 January, 2014
That was NOT how I had the crates on my screen BTW but you get the point. It goes Genre>Year>Month>Subgenre>Song.
deejdave 10:57 PM - 16 January, 2014
Here is the VIDEO!!!! Get ready to be wowed!!

www.dropbox.com
wadup 11:38 PM - 16 January, 2014
Wow....I'm definitely thinking this may well be a library issue....hopefully serato will include some type of fix before the final release
deejdave 11:42 PM - 16 January, 2014
This is actually every release now. Not just 1.6 Furthermore I just tried my MUCH smaller collection and it improved vastly but still had lag. Only about 20K songs on it. Almost all if NOT all have their cue points set etc.

I'm just curious how this cam from nowhere if it was a library issue and WHY the F is it not going away no matter what i do? Happening on all laptops as of this were jappenign the whole time?!?!?!
wadup 11:49 PM - 16 January, 2014
hopefully you submitted the bug along with the video
deejdave 12:00 AM - 17 January, 2014
the bug?
wadup 12:12 AM - 17 January, 2014
Seem to be a bug....or similar issue

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
wadup 12:13 AM - 17 January, 2014
See second video

see this thread
serato.com
deejdave 12:41 AM - 17 January, 2014
WOW thanks bud. That's it right there!!
deejdave 10:10 PM - 19 January, 2014
Bueller??
alphanumerik 3:46 AM - 20 January, 2014
No love
deejdave 4:09 AM - 20 January, 2014
Quote:
No love

BUT plenty of LAG
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:14 AM - 21 January, 2014
Hey deejadave,

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry it took us a while to get to you. So after reading your thread, watching the videos i've spoken with our testers and development team and this is a known issue, we have a bug logged and they are aware of all of the observations you have mentioned. We hope to have a fix for this in a future release and we are working on it.

Sorry for the inconvenience this is causing guys. Hang in there, hopefully have something for you on this in a future release.

Regards
Dave W
deejdave 1:22 AM - 21 January, 2014
HEY guess what? I'm a patient guy no worries. I just wanted confirmation that it is in fact a known issue. I am confidant you guys will fix it and as many of us professional DJ's here are I too am a pretty inventive & resourceful guy so I will be getting along some way or another for the time being. Just don't take tooooooo long. HA Thanks Dave.
deejdave 1:25 AM - 21 January, 2014
BTW if (when the time comes) you need any help testing any future builds that may help with this (or any other issue) I would love to offer my assistance. I have:

DJM-900SRT
CDJ-2000Nexus x2
CDJ-900
Rane 64
DDJ-SX
DDJ-SP1
Remote
Remote Mini
SL1
SL4

SO I am able to test on quite a few devices as well as a few machines at top, mid & bottom tier performance to test with as well.

Thanks again
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:37 AM - 21 January, 2014
No worries, i'll pass it on. We are aware of your hard work on the forum in support and we appreciate the time you take in the community to help others. Keep it up mate :)

Shall we close this thread for now? You can reopen it if you need to add anything extra or need further support.

Regards
Dave W
deejdave 3:40 AM - 21 January, 2014
Close er up!!
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:48 AM - 21 January, 2014
Sweet! :)
deejdave 5:33 AM - 23 March, 2014
Any news on if this has been looked at or anything? My SZ will be in any day now and while my SX works without this issue ..................... it is present and accounted for with my DJM-900SRT & my Rane64. Being the SZ is DVS I am assuming it will be present for it as well.
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:54 AM - 24 March, 2014
We are working on a fix but nothing to report at this stage. I couldn't say if this issue ail exist with the DDJ-SZ. Fingers crossed it doesn't, let me know if it is there and i'll look into it further.

Regards
Dave W
7:00 AM, 7 Apr 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
deejdave 10:53 AM - 21 July, 2014
Any news on this. Is it still being worked on? I would hate to think that this is just getting swept under the carpet.
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:56 PM - 21 July, 2014
Hi deejdave,

Just reviewing this personally. You said you only have this problem in the all crate or bigger crates?

I had the exact same issue happen the other night too. I'm trying to understand it a bit better.

Can you tell me the chipset and other specs of the mac you are using?

Matt P
deejdave 8:18 PM - 21 July, 2014
This happens on every mac with every hardware. This happens on all four of my MacBook Pro's.

2013 2.7 I7 Quad Core 16 GB RAM and SSD - NIVIDEA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
2012 2.9 I7 Dual Core 16GB RAM with SSD - Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
2012 2.9 I7 Dual Core 8 Gb RAM with 750 GB HDD - Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
The last is a little older.

This happens whenever I use HID with any of the following.

DDJ-SX
DDJ-SZ
Rane 64
NS7II
DJM-900SRT

As mentioned I have tried changing powered USB Hubs and happens with any make/model of external HDD. I have Lacie (Thunderbolt), G Drive, WD, Toshiba, Seagate etc. All Libraries are identical and scanned for corrupt files & missing files. I use all high quality files. I have a colection of about 85,000 songs about half are fully cue'd & labeled.

As mentioned this is directly related to the size of the crate. When I select All (which is just a large crate so to speak) it is at its worst. When I select Dance Crate it is pretty bad. When I select a sub crate within it is lowered but is affected with almost an exact formula. When I select a crate with about half as many files the lag/choppiness gets about half as bad.

Is it safe to assume that this has not been looked at whatsoever then?
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:34 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
Is it safe to assume that this has not been looked at whatsoever then?

No, thats not it. I'm just trying to understand this a bit better.

I am getting some more info on the size of crates from you which i'll add to the variables.

I'm tracking this too and looking to eliminate this bug.

Thanks for your detailed info as always deejdave.

Matt P
deejdave 10:57 PM - 21 July, 2014
Yes sir. Let me know if there is anything else I can provide. As always I offer any combination of my hardware at your disposal if need be.
deejdave 11:09 PM - 21 July, 2014
By the way your recent response times are incredible. Truly unmatched support. Keep up the good work, Hope to hear some good news on this soon. As mentioned this is NOT an end of the world type of issue as I can work around it but I do use the all search pretty often.
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:07 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
By the way your recent response times are incredible. Truly unmatched support. Keep up the good work, Hope to hear some good news on this soon. As mentioned this is NOT an end of the world type of issue as I can work around it but I do use the all search pretty often.

Sometimes when we have the time, its good, other times not so. Happy to hear its appreciated though, Thanks dude.

This has been logged as a bug and it will be researched properly and eventually eliminated. Will try and keep you across it when its fixed and ready for release.

Regards

Matt P
deejdave 2:24 AM - 6 August, 2014
1.7 Beta tested and I can no longer duplicate the issue. I have tested on my DJM-900SRT & Rane 64. I will be testing with DDJ-SZ & SL4 tomorrow as well as two unsupported devices DDJ-SX & NS7II. I will report my findings but I am thinking this has been completely fixed and I will be closing this tomorrow.

Once again THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH Team Serato. Please ignore the posts (well POST I should say) where they are constantly complaining about everything the world has to offer. serato.com Honestly IMO just stop answering them all together as nothing you do or say will be good enough. I can promise you without any hesitation that Serato is loved by everyone around me in New York as well as Florida USA. The local scene and growing more by the day club scene is largely Serato. I do use Traktor, Rekordbox & VDJ on occasion but I can honestly say I have no REAL connection with any of the three. Here I feel at home and when using Serato I have a sense of control as well as a fresh palette so to speak. Like the world is at my fingertips. Keep up the Good work!!! BTW