Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DDJ-SZ Jog Wheel Issue Repair Updates

Kross-ddj 11:54 AM - 15 April, 2014
This is a new thread to post updates for anyone who has sent their SZ off to be fixed... I took mine back to dealer, who contacted UK service centre, who will contact dealer when the parts come in (could be up to a week), then dealer will send my SZ to them to be fixed......
Dj Youkai 12:12 PM - 15 April, 2014
I sent mine last Friday. According tod FedEX it will arrive on:
Wed 4/16/2014
Long Beach, CA US

When It gets there.. I'll start my clock :)
DJ Baby Raj 5:35 PM - 15 April, 2014
Thanks.. Will keep an eye on this thread.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 9:40 PM - 15 April, 2014
Sent mine off today. Spoke with Pioneer rep was told returned units had high priority. Turn around 2 weeks.
VJ Justin Allen 11:01 PM - 15 April, 2014
That's good to know. Has anyone been told what they are doing for the upgrade?
saintsimon 11:18 PM - 15 April, 2014
My unit just arrived to the Pioneer facility in Long Beach today (4/15/2014).

Issues 1: Jog wheel sensitivity
Issues 2: Jog wheel warped edges/surface

Note:
1. I specially marked my unit in a secret spot to make sure the same unit is returned to me (just wanting to see if they do the repairs on the same unit - which I'm almost positive they would - but just curious).
2. Sent the unit in a guitar box, we'll see if the unit get's sent back in a different box.

Will be checking on a daily basis.
I'll post when the repair status updates.
DJ RBizzy 11:50 PM - 15 April, 2014
Just called pioneer today to schedule mine to be sent. Still waiting on email from em:{
saintsimon 11:53 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
Just called pioneer today to schedule mine to be sent. Still waiting on email from em:{

If I recall correctly from last week, it felt like forever before I got a response email - I was almost going to call them again to double check to make sure they got the correct email address inputted in their system. I think it takes up to a full day or so. So unfortunately, yes, you gotta sit tight and wait for a good while!
DJ RBizzy 12:00 AM - 16 April, 2014
Cool that makes me feel a bit better. Just glad i hadn't got rid of my sx just yet :) Thanx Saintsimon
djmacklong 12:10 AM - 16 April, 2014
I got my email within a few hours.
saintsimon 12:14 AM - 16 April, 2014
To be more precise on my call -> response email, timing experience:
Called at 930 am
Received email 330pm
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:15 AM - 16 April, 2014
Sent mine on Friday April 11, 2014
Going via FedEx Ground from East Coast
It should arrive in Cali this Thursday, April 17, 2014
djmacklong 12:19 AM - 16 April, 2014
Sent mine Thursday.

Arrived/In repair today.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 2:06 AM - 16 April, 2014
I asked the Pioneer reps if they would give customers with jogwheel issues an expansion pack for the inconvience. Lady said no. We should all demand some compensation for this inconvience at least they should throw in an efx expansion pack.
djmacklong 4:16 AM - 16 April, 2014
EFX expansion packs come from Serato, not Pioneer. That's like asking Sirius XM to give you 6 months free because your Kenwood car stereo keeps blowing fuses.
thorissr 2:48 PM - 16 April, 2014
I can't wait until repaired units start to come back so everyone can give us feedback on the new MK2 sensitivity knob!!!! ( :/Sarcasm:/)

Seriously...Patiently awaiting the return of units for those who had to send the SZ off for repair. Can't wait to hear their feedback and reviews on this Beast of a Unit, as it should have occurred on day one release.

Hopefully, after this mishap is behind us (after defective units are flushed out of the distribution chain), this thread will finally find a home in the archived section. :)

Keep us updated guys/girls!!
shadow23 6:39 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:
I asked the Pioneer reps if they would give customers with jogwheel issues an expansion pack for the inconvience. Lady said no. We should all demand some compensation for this inconvience at least they should throw in an efx expansion pack.

I didn't ask the Pioneer rep about anything for the inconvenience I had to go through. But the rep sent me a pair of Pioneer XLR cables for nothing. It's probably not worth a lot of money but the gesture alone was priceless. He is such a nice guy.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:08 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:

My SZ was delivered today April 16, 2014. Sweet
Time to watch the progress report
thorissr 8:31 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Can't wait Trodinaire!!
DjCity 8:40 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I am looking for progress reports from you X Trodinaire because I have not sent mine in yet and we live not very far from each other (P.G.).
Dj Youkai 8:53 PM - 16 April, 2014
Just checked my FedEX update just now:
6:10 am Arrived at FedEx location CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA

Will keep you posted.
Dj Youkai 9:22 PM - 16 April, 2014
Sorry Guys.. I guess now the Delivery time got Moved to Thursday instead of Wednesday.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:24 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am looking for progress reports from you X Trodinaire because I have not sent mine in yet and we live not very far from each other (P.G.).

It sucks because it takes 5 days to deliver if they are shipping it back via FedEx Ground.
DJ RBizzy 3:34 AM - 17 April, 2014
STILL NO FREAKING EMAIL!!!!!!!!!! WTH
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:42 AM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
STILL NO FREAKING EMAIL!!!!!!!!!! WTH

Calling them was faster for me
djmacklong 3:49 AM - 17 April, 2014
Seriously...be proactive. Make a phone call.
DJ Trice 11:37 AM - 17 April, 2014
I called my reseller last Tuesday (in France): He said "We are aware about this jog problem from Pioneer but have no information/directive to follow, i suggest you to send me an email and i will contact you back"

That's just incredible from Pioneer !!! I'm not going to return back my unit if the reseller doesn't know what to do with ... !?! Grea job Pioneer :-(
djmacklong 2:25 PM - 17 April, 2014
Guys...it's not hard.

CALL PIONEER.
DJ Trice 2:36 PM - 17 April, 2014
1> In France, Pioneer tell us to call our reseller
2> Reseller don't know what to do (no information from Pioneer)
3> ... ???
Stressless Steve 3:02 PM - 17 April, 2014
DJ Trice,
your reseller is obliged by European law to take it in for repair. If they can't, they have to repay you in full.
DJ Trice 3:46 PM - 17 April, 2014
It's another problem, repair station in France (LAB7) don't have any information to fix this issue.
In fact the reseller can take my sz and send it to the repair station: but this repair station will don't know what to do with this sz because Pioneer don't inform them what to do to repair it.

At this time, i don't saw any post who tells that a sz have been repaired...
DJ Trice 3:46 PM - 17 April, 2014
i will sell my one when they will know how to repair it: for the moment i can still mix with it
djmacklong 6:26 PM - 17 April, 2014
uggggghhhhh i keep checking to see if there's any update on my repair and....nothing.

face + wall = smack.
Joee 7:24 PM - 17 April, 2014
tracking
Dj Youkai 8:41 PM - 17 April, 2014
Update!
1:27 pm
Delivered
Long Beach, CA

Now.. The Clock will start Ticking. :)
Dj Youkai 9:31 PM - 17 April, 2014
Another Update:
From Pioneer Factory Service.
In Repair Process Now! :D
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:31 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:

April 09, 2014 emailed Pioneer no reply
April 10, 2014 Called Pioneer 10 mins hold, Got RMA#, FedEx Label in the afternoon
April 11, 2014 Shipped Via FedEx From East Coast
April 16, 2014 Arrived at Repair Center in Cali

Repair Order Information Status
April 17, 2014 Stage 2 of 3

Moving right along... I think I am enjoying this LOL
VJ Justin Allen 1:32 AM - 18 April, 2014
Update on my issues trying to send this unit in for repair. On April 13th I received an e-mail saying that I will soon be receiving another e-mail containing shipping labels. (see below).

5 days later...no e-mail. Pioneer is a joke, their customer service sucks, and they are leading their customers on. I have been told directly by 2 different dealers that repairs will take 4-6 weeks and new units will not be available until July.

What a joke.

---------------------------
Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. We are sorry to hear of the problem you describe.

We are sending you a prepaid, preaddressed FedEx shipping label via separate e-mail for the return of your DDJSZ to Pioneer to correct this issue. Please carefully package the product, affix the shipping label to the package, and arrange for shipment via FedEx. The shipping label will include all necessary information to ensure proper handling once the unit is received at Pioneer, so no additional information or paperwork need be included with the shipment.

Once the unit is received at Pioneer, it will be repaired or replaced at Pioneer's discretion and the repaired or replacement product returned to you via prepaid shipment. We reserve the right to rescind this offer if product evaluation reveals damage due to misuse or abuse.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mark
Customer Service Representative
DJ Trice 7:23 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
i will sell my one when they will know how to repair it: for the moment i can still mix with it

Oops, i mean: i will SEND my one to the repair station when they will know how to repair it.
For the moment, no one know how to solve this: no officical information about Pioneer.

Pioneer customer "service" is a joke
DJ Trice 7:33 AM - 18 April, 2014
Ok, i just called the repair station in France, "he said that, piece of replacement for the SZ are ordered" I will have to recall him on end of april to know if these pieces are in stock.

For information on the pio dj forum, Pulse said "You contact Pioneer technical support for your country. They should now all be up to speed on what the process is for them to repair them. If the person you connect to doesn't know, ask if they can find a support person who does know."

Source: forums.pioneerdj.com
Dj Youkai 7:34 AM - 18 April, 2014
What you mean they don't know how to repair it, they don't really have to tell you. If it's a hardware issue then, what exactly can you do? You can see there are some working units that are working, I pretty sure they found out what's wrong with it, or else they would tell you to send it back for repairs, and I pretty sure they will test it out before they send it back to us, so yeah they might have messed up in sending these Bad boys without fully testing it, but they are doing there best in fixing the problem. And I have no problems with Pioneers Service. As soon as they received my SZ at their repair shop, they already working on my unit. So yeah, that's no Joke there. Enjoy yours, and when I get mines, I'll enjoy mines when I know everything is working Perfectly :-)
DJ Trice 9:43 AM - 18 April, 2014
I enjoy my unit, just wanted that the jogs works perfectly: that's my only issue no more.
I'm curious to see how much time he will stay at the repair station.

I just want to be sure that they got the material to repair it before i send my unit to them. For now i continue to mix with it (more than 10 gigs of 6 hours done :-) ican still mix
Djdjed 10:12 AM - 18 April, 2014
I gived mine to my reseller (In france). he called me yesterday to give me the information from Pionneer "No repair for the moment. you must wait a software update"
DJ Trice 12:00 PM - 18 April, 2014
Lol 2 différents kinds of Sound...
1 means: hardware issue
2 means: firmware issue

in fact there is a problem of communication between Pio and resellers lol
Djpr1 11:09 PM - 18 April, 2014
Received today and already in "Repair Process"
djmacklong 11:33 PM - 18 April, 2014
"In Repair Process" simply means that they have it. It doesn't mean that they actually have it open and on the operating table.

Mine's been "in repair process" since Monday, and I know damn well it doesn't take five days to replace a couple chips.
VJ Justin Allen 11:36 PM - 18 April, 2014
The saga with getting my unit back to Pioneer escalated today and I ended up talking with the individual in charge of the service center, there is no one higher than him in this area. I promised not to give out his name and contact info but I did have a chance to ask him a few questions. He gave me permission to share this with the group

1) Will the original boxes be returned to the owner?

Normally no, they are recycled, mostly because they do not meet shipping structure integrity and may damage the equipment when shipped back. In the case of the DDJ-SZ however the original box will stay with the unit and be returned to the owner. In the rare case where the box is damaged then a comparable box, with a handle, will be used. This box may/may not be a DDJ-SZ box however.

2) What exactly is being repaired / replaced?

There is a firmware update being applied. In the cases where the jog wheels are not up to Pioneer's specs, they they will be repaired or replaced.

3) How long do you expect the process to take place?

Right now we are shooting for an average of one week turnaround time. We hope to get that down as the process continues to be refined. These units are taking priority over other repairs happening at this time. Currently we have received 60 or so units and we expect more to come in over the next few weeks.

There we go everyone, the latest information straight from the person who is in charge of this process. He called me when it was discovered that after 12 days there had been no contact with me and that the mailing labels are a two step process, Pioneer's and Fed-Ex's. In my case it appears Fed Ex dropped the ball.

I should get new labels with a day or so and then I can ship it. I'll keep everyone up-to-date.
djmacklong 11:41 PM - 18 April, 2014
Thanks for this VJ Justin Allen. Great info!

Funny that, after all the BS and frustration you've had to deal with, you're the one that winds up with the most useful and direct info.
Dj Youkai 11:46 PM - 18 April, 2014
So it was the firmware then, ni hardware issues then, just feel sorry for the peeps with warp jog wheels :-/
Djpr1 2:18 AM - 19 April, 2014
Quote:
"In Repair Process" simply means that they have it. It doesn't mean that they actually have it open and on the operating table.

Mine's been "in repair process" since Monday, and I know damn well it doesn't take five days to replace a couple chips.

Exactly , Im just reporting the status I never said it was actually being repaired. We'll see what happens...;)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:36 AM - 19 April, 2014
Quote:
So it was the firmware then, ni hardware issues then, just feel sorry for the peeps with warp jog wheels :-/

I do not think it is warped but missing some glue to keep the touch plate secured.

I left a note inside the SZ box noting this issue and hoping they fix it.
Djpr1 2:41 AM - 19 April, 2014
I have the same issue and left a note about the platters lifting. You are absolutely right I think they need to be reglued or something. ..
owenbizzle 3:02 AM - 19 April, 2014
As far as i can tell its a firmware issue on a read only chip so they do have to replace the chip because it can't be updated via firmware update, i know they were waiting for parts before they wanted my supplier to send mine back to them so they must have to replace something!!
Kross-ddj 8:40 AM - 19 April, 2014
EPROMs can't be erased electrically, and are programmed via hot carrier injection onto the floating gate. Erasing the data is done via an ultraviolet light source, although in practice many EPROMs are encapsulated in plastic that is opaque to UV light, making them one-time programmable.
So it's easier just to replace....
Also, if it was the firmware on this chip that needed updating, then they would be recalling all of the SZ's and not just the units that are playing up.... Who knows???
Kross-ddj 8:55 AM - 19 April, 2014
Deffo dodgy chips
djmacklong 3:25 PM - 22 April, 2014
Still no update on my repair status since the 16th, just fyi.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 4:05 PM - 22 April, 2014
Did you contact Pioneer? I just got off the phone with a rep. She informed me they're working on the first wave this week. Mine arrived yesterday and she sent me a link with real time status. Give Pioneer a call instead of email. Hope that works for you.
Dj Youkai 5:03 PM - 22 April, 2014
Great News Everyone. Just Checked My Status.
I'm On Stage 3! Repair Completed!!!! :D
s16.postimg.org
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:04 PM - 22 April, 2014
Mine is still in stage 2 of 3
saintsimon 5:10 PM - 22 April, 2014
Looks like that didn't take too long. Awesome.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:14 PM - 22 April, 2014
Pio said a week or 2 to complete
So that is great news!
Dj Youkai 5:21 PM - 22 April, 2014
Yep.. I just woke up, Click Refreshed... And BAM!!! REPAIR COMPLETED.. Just have to wait and see when it comes back to my hands that it's working 100% . I pretty sure it will be.
So Happy Right Now... Plus I'm getting my case soon too!!! :D
djmacklong 5:39 PM - 22 April, 2014
Checked again, and BOOM. Repair completed! Can't wait to get this thing back.
Dj Youkai 5:50 PM - 22 April, 2014
AWESOME MACK!!! This is pretty entertaining :D
djmacklong 5:53 PM - 22 April, 2014
I'd love to see this thing come back by Friday (though not likely). I've got a mobile event on Saturday that I'd love to bust it out for.
Dj Youkai 5:58 PM - 22 April, 2014
Same here Also. Wedding On Saturday. Would love to take it for a spin. :)
DJ Baby Raj 6:06 PM - 22 April, 2014
Keep us updated on the fixes take videos!
Dj Youkai 6:12 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
Keep us updated on the fixes take videos!

Will Do. :)
DJ Chuckie Chuck 1:06 AM - 23 April, 2014
Waiting for the news from you guys :)
Manny C dot com 5:41 AM - 23 April, 2014
I'd just like to state that this cluster-f#ck of a PR nightmare would have never happened under Karl Detken's watch. Just sayin'.
Supagee 6:58 AM - 23 April, 2014
manny i agree with ya there.
DJ Koeul Benny 3:24 PM - 23 April, 2014
Can't believe there is so many customers with issues. I was just about to order one and doing the research I'm starting to reconsider buying this Kit sounds like a nightmare. Wishing you all the best thanks for the thread you all just saved me from a lot of trouble.
Dj Youkai 6:58 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Can't believe there is so many customers with issues. I was just about to order one and doing the research I'm starting to reconsider buying this Kit sounds like a nightmare. Wishing you all the best thanks for the thread you all just saved me from a lot of trouble.

Shouldn't be that bad anymore. Pioneer has pretty much fixing the issue. For us guys it was frustrating than the people who never purchased or planned on getting it. You shouldn't just walk away just because it had issues. Now pretty sure the next batch wont have that problem and when I get mine soon, I'll be a happy camper once again :)
djmacklong 7:07 PM - 23 April, 2014
Wish they would update the shipping date on there...
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:06 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
April 10, 2014 Called Pioneer 10 mins hold, Got RMA#, FedEx Label in the afternoon

April 23, 2014 Stage 3 of 3 Repair Completed!

So I am assuming they will ship back the SZ via FedEx Ground, that means it will take 5 days to get to me (East Coast)

Ah well! I'm glad that it is fixed :)
I was about to buy some new gear just to fill in the empty spot in my collection LOL j/k
djmacklong 10:07 PM - 23 April, 2014
Tracking number added, but not shipped yet.
Dj Youkai 10:09 PM - 23 April, 2014
Update for me:
I have a tracking number added and but no shipped date, I think it's gonna show later tonight
djmacklong 10:12 PM - 23 April, 2014
Yep. I imagine FedEx hasn't even picked up the shipment yet.
Dj Youkai 10:23 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Yep. I imagine FedEx hasn't even picked up the shipment yet.

I think yours might come to you before me. Since I live on an Island. :P
djmacklong 10:26 PM - 23 April, 2014
probably. I'm in Seattle so not far away.
hottiredandsexy 10:40 PM - 23 April, 2014
Hey guys,

I live in Canada and Pioneer gave me a company in Quebec to contact re sensitivity issue. The first dept I got when calling this company was their actual tech dept doing the repairs and the guy let me know they haven't even received the replacement part from Pioneer yet. He said he was hoping to receive by sometime next week but there was no guarantee. They also gave me their puralator acct # and shipping instructions. I'm going to wait until the part comes in before sending. Anyone else heard this as well???
Dj Youkai 10:45 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys,

I live in Canada and Pioneer gave me a company in Quebec to contact re sensitivity issue. The first dept I got when calling this company was their actual tech dept doing the repairs and the guy let me know they haven't even received the replacement part from Pioneer yet. He said he was hoping to receive by sometime next week but there was no guarantee. They also gave me their puralator acct # and shipping instructions. I'm going to wait until the part comes in before sending. Anyone else heard this as well???

Hi hottiredandsexy if you don't need to use it now or you have a backup for a gig. Then send it already. at least you know it will be at Pioneers hands. And then probably have a ticket on whoever got to their first will be the first to be service. I hope that make sense.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:47 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Hi hottiredandsexy if you don't need to use it now or you have a backup for a gig. Then send it already. at least you know it will be at Pioneers hands. And then probably have a ticket on whoever got to their first will be the first to be service. I hope that make sense.

+1
Dj Youkai 12:34 AM - 24 April, 2014
Okay Update. FedEX Finally Picked it Up.. YAY!!!
But....
Estimated delivery :
N/A
HONOLULU, HI US

So Yeah.. We'll see tomorrow... I hope it's Friday.. It would be Sooooo Perfect :)
djmacklong 12:41 AM - 24 April, 2014
Same here. We're obviously both in the first wave of repairs.
Dj Youkai 12:47 AM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
Same here. We're obviously both in the first wave of repairs.

Yep.. Wonder How Saint is doing with his?
djmacklong 1:50 AM - 24 April, 2014
Estimated delivery...SATURDAY.
DJ RBizzy 3:54 AM - 24 April, 2014
Did you guys send your DDJ-SZ's in their original box???
Dj Youkai 5:15 AM - 24 April, 2014
My estimate deliver time is also Saturday, man. I have Wedding that say also, I hope fed ex comes before 11am, and no I never sent the original box, I used the outer box that the DDJ-SZ box that was in it when I first got it delivered from AMS, then I bubble wrapped the DDJ-SZ and stuffed alot if newspapers in it. I guess it worked :-)
djmacklong 5:56 AM - 24 April, 2014
i used my original box. the confusion over the boxes is because the rest of the DDJ line comes in the lighter "handle boxes" which are unsuitable for shipping. the SZ are equivalent to a standard shipping box so they're fine for transport and won't be recycled by pioneer.
Dj Youkai 7:44 AM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
i used my original box. the confusion over the boxes is because the rest of the DDJ line comes in the lighter "handle boxes" which are unsuitable for shipping. the SZ are equivalent to a standard shipping box so they're fine for transport and won't be recycled by pioneer.

Well I hope you're right. I was told by Ashley from Pioneer not to send the Original box there, cause it will be recycled. So I didn't, but I did read somewhere here that you can cause Pioneer made an exception, but I just sent the different box just in case.
Kross-ddj 9:13 AM - 24 April, 2014
Pioneer service centre in UK was also waiting for the parts..... Just rang them and mines been done and returned to supplier yesterday, hopefully I should get it back today or tomorrow :) shame I'm at work during the entire opening hours of the store :(
Dj Youkai 11:59 AM - 24 April, 2014
Update:
3:33 am
Arrived at FedEx location
CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA

I hope it goes to Hawaii after this. Still saying:
Estimated delivery :
Sat 4/26/2014 :(
DJ Axon 9:17 PM - 24 April, 2014
You guys shipped them? I just called my local pioneer dealer who I have a good relationship with and asked him to order me some IC Chips - should be here in the next few days as they were back ordered till today. When they arrive ill just drive about an hour and have him install them. Has anyone had it completed yet?
Dj Youkai 9:44 PM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
You guys shipped them? I just called my local pioneer dealer who I have a good relationship with and asked him to order me some IC Chips - should be here in the next few days as they were back ordered till today. When they arrive ill just drive about an hour and have him install them. Has anyone had it completed yet?

Have you read this whole thread? We did Post it was Completed.. I'm just posting that they shipping it back to me. :)
djmacklong 11:16 PM - 24 April, 2014
Pioneer told me I needed to ship it back to them, then they emailed me a shipping label, then I shipped it. Just following their direction.
dj silent assassin 11:40 PM - 24 April, 2014
I thinks we're all just as excited as you guys waiting for the first set of repaired ddj sz to come in.....
soundboyz 1:19 AM - 25 April, 2014
Keep me upto date guys
bbnation 2:22 AM - 25 April, 2014
If this is a frimware issuse well why don't they just release it so we can update by ourselves without shipping them?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:31 AM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
If this is a frimware issuse well why don't they just release it so we can update by ourselves without shipping them?

It is not an easy firmware update. From my understanding a flash chip inside has to be replaced.
DjCity 2:33 AM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:

You really need to read the threads about the SZ and the issues with them.

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com
DJ RBizzy 3:14 AM - 25 April, 2014
Well heres my story
4/16 called pioneer
4/17 no sign of shipping label in email ( inbox & spam)
4/18 contacted pioneer. Gave me tracking # and to contact fedex. Did so and fedex has no control over the request of shipping label through manufacturers. So I then contact pioneer once again to tell them " I NEED A SHIP..... PING.....LAAAAA......BLE!!!!!! They reply give it another 48 hours :/
AT THIS POINT IM PRETTY IRRITATED BUT KEPT MY CALM AND GAVE EM TIL TUESDAY.
4/22nd comes and guess what NOTHING!!!!!
4/23 Decide to give em one more shot. LAST ONE. & BAM!!!! I finally got it;)
4/24 Shipped the BITCH out so now lets play the waiting game..............
owenbizzle 11:49 AM - 25 April, 2014
Been told by my supplier in the UK to expect mine back week commencing May 5th!!
Kross-ddj 11:53 AM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Been told by my supplier in the UK to expect mine back week commencing May 5th!!

Mine has been repaired in UK, my supplier received it back today, I will be picking it up in a couple of hours :)
DJ Baby Raj 12:03 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Mine has been repaired in UK, my supplier received it back today, I will be picking it up in a couple of hours :)

Sweet, video and tests!
DjCity 2:12 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Please let us know how it is and if the issues are indeed "fixed".

Let us know if it's repaired or replaced.

Let us know what kind of box it came back in.
djmacklong 2:23 PM - 25 April, 2014
It's only fitting that you get yours back first! Awesome news.
DjCity 2:40 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
It's only fitting that you get yours back first! Awesome news.

+100
Kross-ddj 3:26 PM - 25 April, 2014
I have received mine back just now.... and WOW what a difference, very responsive... just how it should have been.... received back in its original box (UK)...
Will upload a video soon......
I can finally say:
THE PIONEER DDJ-SZ is PERFECT (even the airhorn :)
Also, theres no fizzing out issue as before when touching the other jog wheel....
I will create a new thread :) and post the video there
Kross-ddj 3:28 PM - 25 April, 2014
Hats of to Pioneer for accepting the problem, finding a fix.... and... well.... fixing it ;)
VJ Justin Allen 3:41 PM - 25 April, 2014
Nice
djmacklong 3:49 PM - 25 April, 2014
Fantastic!
bbnation 3:57 PM - 25 April, 2014
We have the reparation here in Sweden in my city. So I just took with me the controller and they fix it within 30 min. They replace a new chip that they call it and in that chip it's new firmware.
bbnation 4:02 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Hats of to Pioneer for accepting the problem, finding a fix.... and... well.... fixing it ;)

LOL. I piss on Pioneer. This was my first and last time buy of the pioneer.

Pioneer trying to play hard like Apple. But sad enough they fail.
Dj Youkai 5:01 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Pffft... What do you mean they fail? No-ones Perfect. Not Even Apple.
Anyway... Congrats Kross-ddj.. I'm So Glad yours turned awesomely, And Congrats Pioneer for "Faily" Fixing the Issue. I can't wait to see a video, and of course I can't wait to get mine, :D
bbnation 5:03 PM - 25 April, 2014
LOL u guys have waited in days, I got mine fixed in 30 minutes. :D and yes it's huge different
Dj Youkai 5:12 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
LOL u guys have waited in days, I got mine fixed in 30 minutes. :D and yes it's huge different

Good for you bbnation. Now I would like you make a video pissing on your DDJ-SZ, since you say that they fail.
owenbizzle 6:43 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:

No need to be a smug cunt mate!! ^^^^^ what a dick ^^^^^
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 6:45 PM - 25 April, 2014
I'm excited to hear they fixed the problem. Now I'm patiently waiting for mine to return. Please post videos for us that are still waiting.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 6:49 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Isn't this the same guy that said this his first & last time buying pioneer? I've been a loyal pioneer customer since '98 and I'm satisfied with the way they've handled it. If he's that disappointed than sell the unit and move on.
Dj Youkai 7:46 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Isn't this the same guy that said this his first & last time buying pioneer? I've been a loyal pioneer customer since '98 and I'm satisfied with the way they've handled it. If he's that disappointed than sell the unit and move on.

I rather see him Piss On the DDJ-SZ if he has the BALLZ to do it. ROTFL!!!
DjCity 9:36 PM - 25 April, 2014
I dropped mine off at FedEx today.

How are you guys getting progress information from Pioneer?
Dj Youkai 9:39 PM - 25 April, 2014
Mine isn't updated yet.. I think I'm gonna call FEDex now.. and see if it's there now.
Still says:
Estimated delivery :
Sat 4/26/2014
HONOLULU, HI US
DjCity 9:52 PM - 25 April, 2014
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:59 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:

follow this link enter your info

parts.pioneerelectronics.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:00 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So I am assuming they will ship back the SZ via FedEx Ground, that means it will take 5 days to get to me (East Coast)

Ah well! I'm glad that it is fixed :)
I was about to buy some new gear just to fill in the empty spot in my collection LOL j/k

Got Tracking # today :)
Dj Youkai 10:24 PM - 25 April, 2014
Congrats! DJ_X_Trodinaire :)
Dj Youkai 9:13 AM - 26 April, 2014
Mine just made it to FEDex:
4/25/2014 - Friday
9:30 pm
At local FedEx facility
HONOLULU, HI

I guess I'll be getting it on Saturday for sure. Gonna Wing This one.. and Use it at this Wedding :D
soundboyz 11:36 AM - 26 April, 2014
Lickle Jon live on RED 96.7FM. The most anticipated JUMP OFF on PULL UP SATURDAY . Tune in from 6.00 -9.00AM. with @lickle967 & @StrykerRegal @red967tt
Dj Youkai 12:13 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
Lickle Jon live on RED 96.7FM. The most anticipated JUMP OFF on PULL UP SATURDAY . Tune in from 6.00 -9.00AM. with @lickle967 & @StrykerRegal @red967tt

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
teemac111 12:40 PM - 26 April, 2014
zzzz indeed
Dj Youkai 5:19 PM - 26 April, 2014
Come To Papa :D
4/26/2014 - Saturday
5:58 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
HONOLULU, HI
deejdave 8:22 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:

Sorry dude this is against the rules here. Just out of curiosity have you seen any ads from other users such as this yet? Multiple posts is kind of pushing the issue.

- Be nice to others.
- Not pass yourself off as an employee of Serato, or an employee of any Serato business partner.
- Not post advertisements for any product or service.
- Not post any contact details.

Pretty much the ONLY rules that exist here.
Just trying to help.
soundboyz 8:33 PM - 26 April, 2014
noted
Dj Youkai 8:35 PM - 26 April, 2014
I got mine earlier this morning.. but.. I have a wedding to attend.. so yeah.. Ill post mine later.. maybe during the wedding.. Gonna Test this BadBoy Out :)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:32 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
I got mine earlier this morning.. but.. I have a wedding to attend.. so yeah.. Ill post mine later.. maybe during the wedding.. Gonna Test this BadBoy Out :)

Pffft! bring the SZ to the wedding! wear headphones! LOL
Dj Youkai 12:25 PM - 27 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Pffft! bring the SZ to the wedding! wear headphones! LOL

Pffft, and why not? I'm VideoDJ for the wedding. LOL @ You
blackavenger 5:00 AM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry dude this is against the rules here. Just out of curiosity have you seen any ads from other users such as this yet? Multiple posts is kind of pushing the issue.

- Be nice to others.
- Not pass yourself off as an employee of Serato, or an employee of any Serato business partner.
- Not post advertisements for any product or service.
- Not post any contact details.

Pretty much the ONLY rules that exist here.
Just trying to help.

He didn't break any rules. He was just promoting a show. A show is not a product or service. What he did do however, is show that he has no tact by posting it in several threads. Shameless self-promotion is fine, but have the decency not to plaster it all over the forum.
djmacklong 5:03 AM - 28 April, 2014
A show is a product.
Davideon 6:27 AM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:

Fuck off. Shit like that is gonna put people off listening to you. Thread jacking?- Promotion for Retards
ej Joe 8:50 AM - 28 April, 2014
yeah,i send mine this morning.maybe took a week.
did any one find that the FX control parameters value cannot be save while using ddj-sz?
like if i set first FX parameter value to 12 o"clock and 2nd to 9 o"clock,and the next time i
power on my ddj-sz it will return back to zero.

Anyone has this issue ???
deejdave 10:47 AM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
A show is a product.

Ding Ding Ding!!! Winner!!
deejdave 10:48 AM - 28 April, 2014
A product is ANY end result. Physical or non physical.
soundboyz 11:08 AM - 28 April, 2014
I apologise for posting it, i was not aware of that. It is a broadcast that i normally send out every weekend while i am on radio working. I sincerely and humbly apologise for the post
DJ Trice 11:15 AM - 28 April, 2014
Good news Kross-Ddj, so i will send my one tomorrow
deejdave 11:19 AM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
I apologise for posting it, i was not aware of that. It is a broadcast that i normally send out every weekend while i am on radio working. I sincerely and humbly apologise for the post

No worries. The "noted" comment was honestly enough for me LOL. Most people don't even acknowledge. Absolutely would have been dropped if someone else didn't bring it up though. @ soundboyz as far as I am concerned you have been a pleasant & constructive community member and NOBODY is perfect so don't sweat it. Keep on Keepin' on!
deejdave 11:20 AM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
No worries. The "noted" comment was honestly enough for me LOL.

NOT that you even owed ME anything LOL. I'm just sayin................
ej Joe 2:11 PM - 28 April, 2014
hahh,i get back my ddj-sz within a day.
so great,cum back and every fine and no issue
with the jog wheel anymore.
anyone who have ddj-sz should send it back asap.
thorissr 2:15 PM - 28 April, 2014
Congrats to all who have received their units back in working order!!! Hopefully we'll start seeing an abundance of videos across the web on how you DJs are getting down on the SZ. :)

Peace!!
boyscout 3:26 PM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
EPROMs can't be erased electrically, and are programmed via hot carrier injection onto the floating gate. Erasing the data is done via an ultraviolet light source, although in practice many EPROMs are encapsulated in plastic that is opaque to UV light, making them one-time programmable.
Also, if it was the firmware on this chip that needed updating, then they would be recalling all of the SZ's and not just the units that are playing up.... Who knows???

Any idea why Pioneer would choose to use these EPROMS? I've had dozens of music-related and radio-related devices that have had user-updateable firmware... it's been the norm for ten-plus years and seems very '90s to NOT have it. What's the reason?

After this expensive problem maybe Pioneer is asking themselves the same thing but what's done is done... mine is a serious question just of curiosity. Thanks in advance.
Kross-ddj 3:48 PM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Any idea why Pioneer would choose to use these EPROMS? I've had dozens of music-related and radio-related devices that have had user-updateable firmware... it's been the norm for ten-plus years and seems very '90s to NOT have it. What's the reason?

After this expensive problem maybe Pioneer is asking themselves the same thing but what's done is done... mine is a serious question just of curiosity. Thanks in advance.

There must be a reason....... we can update the firmware of the SZ, but maybe this bit of info on the chip was never meant to be re-written.... I always wondered how the code was wrong on only some chips?? Or maybe there WAS a dodgy batch of chips?? We may never know
blackavenger 4:05 PM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
A show is a product.

But posting a mix is not? Whatever, Y'all are wrong. I've seen links to dozens of shows on this forum throughout the years, and until now never saw anyone complain about it. So anytime anyone posts links to EDC, Counterpoint, Coachella, Moogfest, you know, Festivals, then they are advertising? I'm sorry, but I disagree. I would love for a Mod to come and weigh in on the subject.

Regardless, what he did was indeed tacky.
deejdave 8:10 PM - 28 April, 2014
I believe there is ONE thread called "Post your mixes HERE" My guess is that is the area in which mixes should be posted. But hey what do i know. I'm wrong. I've also seen plenty of racial slurs, racist comments, e-mail addresses, etc. Doesn't mean it is allowed. Truth be told all of these occur and TBH the mixes being posted are not ALWAYS torn apart. As a matter of fact I believe it was the second time he posted it that most chimed (including myself) in.
blackavenger 10:06 PM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
I believe there is ONE thread called "Post your mixes HERE" My guess is that is the area in which mixes should be posted.

Then you would be guessing wrong. A regular ole' forum member created that thread.

Posting links to mixes, radio shows, parties you're playing at, etc.., that does not break the rules. If Y'all want to clown on him, do so for posting it in multiple threads for which it was completely unrelated. It's like when my dumbass cousin posts some random greeting in a Facebook discussion that several of my friends are in the middle of having......I clown his ass for being so stupid that he can't create a separate post to my wall. It's like that. If Soundboyz wanted to promote his radio show, he had every right to, but he should have created his own thread to do it.
blackavenger 10:08 PM - 28 April, 2014
Anyway....back to the topic at hand, "Jog Wheel Repairs".
Dj Youkai 10:34 PM - 28 April, 2014
I got mine back on Saturday, took it on a wedding gig to test it out, of course I had my SX as backup, jog wheels works perfectly so far that time, but what I noticed the fader is acting up, seems to cut off the track when I move it just a little bit to the right when I just slide it to the left, I'll post a video later, I'm actually at the DMV registering my car. I hope I can figure out what's going on when I get back to my office.
damehype 1:08 AM - 29 April, 2014
Sent mine today. Included a note asking them to check out my crossfader also. The cut just isn't sharp enough. Even set to 0ms.
DJ RBizzy 2:26 AM - 29 April, 2014
I miss my DDJ-SZ :(. Where ever you u are just know daddy loves u
DJ ZML 7:16 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Sent mine today. Included a note asking them to check out my crossfader also. The cut just isn't sharp enough. Even set to 0ms.

There's a Utility function you can use to fix this. I can't remember exactly how but if you google it I'm sure you can find it, my friend did it for me. It's some sort of special startup mode for the unit that lets you tweak certain things about how it functions, one of them being adjusting how sharp the crossfader opens and closes even when technically supposed to be at 0ms. After my friend changed the utility it worked much better.
geeunot 8:06 AM - 29 April, 2014
Or we could wait for innofader to release the a fader for the sz. That would be dope. I love the innofader on my djm 800.
kraakhelder 9:31 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:

LOL
Dj Youkai 9:46 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

There's a Utility function you can use to fix this. I can't remember exactly how but if you google it I'm sure you can find it, my friend did it for me. It's some sort of special startup mode for the unit that lets you tweak certain things about how it functions, one of them being adjusting how sharp the crossfader opens and closes even when technically supposed to be at 0ms. After my friend changed the utility it worked much better.

Please. If you can find that info. That would me I think Also.
Dj Youkai 10:17 AM - 29 April, 2014
That would be helpful, thank you.
blackavenger 10:34 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
That would me I think Also.

haha.
Dj Youkai 10:49 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

haha.

FUCK YOU
blackavenger 11:20 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

haha.

FUCK YOU

tisk..tisk....now that is breaking the rules.
Dj Youkai 11:29 AM - 29 April, 2014
Looking for help in here.. I don't need no fucking wise ass reply from YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!!
Dj Youkai 11:32 AM - 29 April, 2014
An my Apologies to everyone else except for BlackAssholeAvenger
DJ Trice 11:37 AM - 29 April, 2014
My one is now @the repair station in France.
blackavenger 11:49 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
An my Apologies to everyone else except for BlackAssholeAvenger

Wow, you need to relax, man. I was just having a laugh at your auto-correct. Jeesh!
DjCity 11:54 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The information you guys are looking for is in the manual.
Dj Youkai 11:55 AM - 29 April, 2014
This is why I wish there is an edit button in here. You really caught me in a bad mood. And I took it out on you and I apologize. Big Time. Just wish there is an edit button.
Dj Youkai 11:59 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The information you guys are looking for is in the manual.

Thanks DjCity, Now if I can only find the manual. Is there a video of this posted? *sigh I guess I just download the manual :/
Dj Youkai 12:00 PM - 29 April, 2014
Wait.. is it the Pioneer DDJ-SZ Manual or Serato?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:07 PM - 29 April, 2014
pioneerdj.com

Page 26
Adjusting the crossfader cut lag
damehype 1:14 PM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I already said I did that. Still has "play" in the crossfader before the sound cuts in. Even set at 0ms within the utility mode and curve set to sharp on the front panel. Honestly my SX was sharper
djmacklong 3:17 PM - 29 April, 2014
Can anybody explain more clearly how to adjust the crossfader cut lag? The manual just says to turn the selector knob, but all that does is scroll thru the library. Am I missing a step? If I am, it's not very clear.
djmacklong 3:31 PM - 29 April, 2014
Same thing with the needle search. It simply says "press the censor button", but um...it's doing nothing.
djmacklong 3:36 PM - 29 April, 2014
nevermind. rookie move.
DjCity 3:38 PM - 29 April, 2014
You have to go into "utility" mode first.
Dj Youkai 3:39 PM - 29 April, 2014
Im also confused with the directions
Dj Youkai 3:41 PM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
You have to go into "utility" mode first.

Spoke too soon there sorry
djmacklong 4:11 PM - 29 April, 2014
My lag is still too long for me too, but I'm starting to think it's a software problem rather than hardware. I was having this issue with SDJ on 1200s and a 61 the other night as well.
djmacklong 4:34 PM - 29 April, 2014
Started a thread on this. Hopefully it'll get some attention.

serato.com
damehype 6:45 PM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
My lag is still too long for me too, but I'm starting to think it's a software problem rather than hardware. I was having this issue with SDJ on 1200s and a 61 the other night as well.

Told you. But it wouldn't be a software problem as no mixing is done within the software
djmacklong 7:51 PM - 29 April, 2014
Check out the link I posted just above damehype. After messing around more (after I posted the comment you quoted) my thoughts evolved into what I posted above.
Nicholy 8:22 PM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:

Send the kid off to summer camp, return... tbd
DJDynasty 9:41 PM - 29 April, 2014
Just shipped mine yesterday 4/28 from Florida, should reach Pioneer by Fri 5/2
DJ RBizzy 2:03 AM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Send the kid off to summer camp, return... tbd

lol
DJ Squeeze Me 7:14 PM - 30 April, 2014
called pioneer
fedex shipping label was in my inbox the next day
sent mine in w/ the original box on 4/25 from VA
arrived 4/30 (today) at CA
now the waiting game. cant wait to get it back !

Should i call them tomorrow to get an update or just wait patiently?
DJCHEF 8:14 PM - 30 April, 2014
I have the ddj sz. I have little signs of the platter not responding. Should I still send it in for the repair?
DjCity 8:16 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
I have the ddj sz. I have little signs of the platter not responding. Should I still send it in for the repair?

What do you think?
DJCHEF 8:19 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

What do you think?

Yea I should send it in. ESP for the price we all paid.
DjCity 8:19 PM - 30 April, 2014
Of course you should send it in for repair.
Why would you not want a working unit?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:54 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
called pioneer

enter your information here

Dj Youkai 10:34 PM - 30 April, 2014
Hey Guys, I uploaded a video of my SZ .. My Jog Wheels seems to be working fine well when i was testing it at my Wedding Gig this past weekend (well So far working good that time :/ ). But I noticed something else was wrong. Here is the thread. Please, I need to know what you think of it.
serato.com
I also added black matte vinyl stickers on the Jog Wheels, but it seems to have lost its sensitivity, I forgot to post a video of it without the stickers to compare. So I'm gonna go backwards and take out the stickers again and show you the difference. Will post that later. But please. Check out the thread. Thank You in Advance.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 11:00 PM - 30 April, 2014
Just checked the status repair is complete. Now the waiting game for its return home, hopefully I'll have it back before next weekend.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 11:03 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:

The sooner you send it in for repair is the sooner you'll get it back. I sent mine on 4/15/14 from Chicago. It arrived 4/22/14 and I just got a repair complete status. I'd recommend you send it in for repair especially since you've invested over $2000.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 11:12 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
called pioneer

Give them a call to get the link for your repair status.
DjCity 8:51 PM - 1 May, 2014
My joint is in stage 2.

Repair in progress.
VJ Justin Allen 9:15 PM - 1 May, 2014
Repair in progress for me as well. Day 2 of that :)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:20 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:

May 01, 2014 SZ is back home and it is working as it should

instagram.com

I am proud to be a member of the One Finger Scratch DJ Crew LOL
soundboyz 1:24 AM - 2 May, 2014
i have shipped out mine today back to Pioneer
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 3:03 AM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

instagram.com

Now that's what I like to see. Can't wait to get mine back, hopefully sometime early next week.
DJ Baby Raj 3:04 AM - 2 May, 2014
So is everyone getting back the original box?
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 3:15 AM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

instagram.com

DJ_X_Trodinaire,
I wanted to ask you how the crossfader responds since you got it back. I've seen a few videos with people having crossfader issues that they didn't have before sending it for repair.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:46 AM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:

DJ_X_Trodinaire,
I wanted to ask you how the crossfader responds since you got it back. I've seen a few videos with people having crossfader issues that they didn't have before sending it for repair.

No issues with my cross fader
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:48 AM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
So is everyone getting back the original box?

Yeah they used the original box. So mine is f'd up. Got wet from the rain and tore up one side of the box. I sent it double boxed too.
Ush 6:22 AM - 2 May, 2014
im pissed as hell, after seeing everybody get theirs back in around 5-7 days, mine arrived their the 22nd its now the 2nd and still in repair process stage 2. bullshit
DjCity 6:38 AM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
called pioneer

enter your information here

Bump
Kross-ddj 6:38 AM - 2 May, 2014
No issues with my crossfader either, also I have noticed people mentioning the slack mic knobs and also slack beat knobs (to the right of the fx knobs).... I think this is the way they all are as I've noticed people mentioning this in other posts about build quality.
DJ Squeeze Me 1:35 PM - 2 May, 2014
how come i cannot select DDJ SZ as a model number ?? :(
DJCHEF 1:44 PM - 2 May, 2014
Did all the ddj sz have this problem or just some?
djmacklong 1:57 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
im pissed as hell, after seeing everybody get theirs back in around 5-7 days, mine arrived their the 22nd its now the 2nd and still in repair process stage 2. bullshit

The REPAIR process is about a week, but the total turnaround time is about two weeks or so. My SZ was one of the first to go back and it was 15 days total.
djmacklong 2:01 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:

Many did. Since Pioneer asked all retailers to send back their stock on hand (not technically a recall) to fix the issue across the board, I'd venture to say that *most* of them had this platter sensitivity issue, but there's no way to know for sure since none of us have the hard numbers.

There was one on post that said that there were about 60 units sent back in the first wave of repairs though, for whatever that's worth.
DjCity 2:11 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
how come i cannot select DDJ SZ as a model number ?? :(

Just type it in

"DDJ-SZ"
DJCHEF 2:15 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Many did. Since Pioneer asked all retailers to send back their stock on hand (not technically a recall) to fix the issue across the board, I'd venture to say that *most* of them had this platter sensitivity issue, but there's no way to know for sure since none of us have the hard numbers.

There was one on post that said that there were about 60 units sent back in the first wave of repairs though, for whatever that's worth.

Cause I have a march build ddjsz. And I have no signs of the issue like I have seen on YouTube. Where the platter did not work at all.
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:21 PM - 2 May, 2014
Nice to see all the users getting their units fixed!

No one has Mic issues with the SZ right?
djmacklong 2:36 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Cause I have a march build ddjsz. And I have no signs of the issue like I have seen on YouTube. Where the platter did not work at all.

Many worked perfectly fine from the beginning.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 3:01 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:

Mine has been showing repair complete since 4/30. I'm still waiting for shipping date. Called Pioneer was told it was in packaging stage. Not sure how much longer I'll have to wait to receive shipping date & tracking number.
djmacklong 5:38 PM - 2 May, 2014
I'm sure it'll ship on Monday.
djmacklong 5:38 PM - 2 May, 2014
They're likely gonna ship them out in batches.
Djpr1 7:47 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:

Mine has been there since 4/18 on Repair Status till this day.....sucks!!
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 9:01 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Mine has been there since 4/18 on Repair Status till this day.....sucks!!

When was the last you checked the status? Mine arrived 4/22 repair complete showed 4/30. Still no shipping date.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 9:14 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
They're likely gonna ship them out in batches.

That's what I'm thinking at this point.
VJ Justin Allen 10:57 PM - 2 May, 2014
Mine just went to the repair completed stage. It only took 2 days since it was received to get there. Now to wait for the shipping.
DJ Chuckie Chuck 12:50 PM - 3 May, 2014
Anyone from South East Asia that purchase a faulty SZ ?
DjCity 1:52 PM - 3 May, 2014
Repair completed.

I'm waiting for shipping info now.

I'm not in a rush though because I am still waiting on the Odyssey case.
That is suppose to shop in about a week.

I'm probably gonna get both of them about the same time.
DJ Sidies 6:00 PM - 3 May, 2014
If I was to order a ddi-SZ now would the problem be fixed on new models?
djmacklong 6:36 PM - 3 May, 2014
yeah, but you won't get it til the end of june at the earliest.
DJ Sidies 7:45 PM - 3 May, 2014
I have been told mid may by pioneer rep
DjCity 8:03 PM - 3 May, 2014
You should ask the Pioneer rep.
He should know better than us what's up with the new batch of SZ's and when they should be available.
djmacklong 8:23 PM - 3 May, 2014
The Guitar Center in Lynnwood, WA has a couple in stock. Could try ordering from there.
DJ Sidies 9:26 PM - 3 May, 2014
When I did ask him about it he said there was not a problem intill I showed him on the shops display model
Carlos66 8:42 AM - 4 May, 2014
Hello,Guys
ATTENTION...I found new problem Pioneer DDJ -SZ...
I dont know where its coming software or firmware or hardware?
But first that SZ working fine like SX...I was able to download the song directly deck.
Not nessesary do not need to do library....
The problem is the same as trying load song directly from a memory stick or external hard drive...
I testing this SX working fine 3 diffrent computers then i change SZ not working (Computers Windows 7 and 8.1) and that Pioneer repair service center testing too Apple computer and
the result was the same (My SZ is being repaired there jog wheel problem).
We here in Finland, there are two machines and both are doing the same.....therefore, we suspect that this firmware 1.12 its problem because Serato 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 do not affect the result...
I use that Rotary selector when i load song that deck (SX push to button).
Is this a bug or a new feature I do not know.....But It is easy to test...take stick with the music folders put it in the computer's USB connector.....And use SZ rotary selector left or right...and find that memory stick and select folder and choose song you want to download Serato deck....(Remember first open that files view Serato Dj you can see that memory stick).
I hope that what is at issue, and I apologize my English...I hope you will get a clear....
I think this is a clear failure you not can play quickly directly from an external source....
And another thing i want keep folder my computer i dont need library...

BR,Kari Hokkanen / Finland
djmacklong 9:34 AM - 4 May, 2014
Huh?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:55 AM - 4 May, 2014
Carlos,

is the USB stick Analyzed by Serato before playing the song?
Maybe the files are corrupted?
Dj Youkai 1:53 PM - 4 May, 2014
Don't understand what you mean, I've been using externals on every gig with my SX, and I use it too on my SZ, all the files are Analyzed, and I don't find the hard-drive in serato, I make crates first in serato, or drag the whole folder into serato Dj and it will automatically make the a crate with the same name as the folder you dragged into SDJ,, then analyze the folder, even on SD CARDS, I load the music or video into the crates. So yeah, no failures here, maybe you should try it that way, pretty sure it will work for you.
deejdave 2:51 PM - 4 May, 2014
Quote:
Hello,Guys
ATTENTION...I found new problem Pioneer DDJ -SZ...
I dont know where its coming software or firmware or hardware?
But first that SZ working fine like SX...I was able to download the song directly deck.
Not nessesary do not need to do library....
The problem is the same as trying load song directly from a memory stick or external hard drive...
I testing this SX working fine 3 diffrent computers then i change SZ not working (Computers Windows 7 and 8.1) and that Pioneer repair service center testing too Apple computer and
the result was the same (My SZ is being repaired there jog wheel problem).
We here in Finland, there are two machines and both are doing the same.....therefore, we suspect that this firmware 1.12 its problem because Serato 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 do not affect the result...
I use that Rotary selector when i load song that deck (SX push to button).
Is this a bug or a new feature I do not know.....But It is easy to test...take stick with the music folders put it in the computer's USB connector.....And use SZ rotary selector left or right...and find that memory stick and select folder and choose song you want to download Serato deck....(Remember first open that files view Serato Dj you can see that memory stick).
I hope that what is at issue, and I apologize my English...I hope you will get a clear....
I think this is a clear failure you not can play quickly directly from an external source....
And another thing i want keep folder my computer i dont need library...

BR,Kari Hokkanen / Finland

NO ISSUE REPORTED HERE:

If you are saying you are not able to play directly from a source without first adding to SDJ collection then you would be incorrect in your whole concept. Serato is not designed to work this way and the whole reason you must analyze prior to using a song is there to protect you. YES it works usually without doing this and I HAVE done this in an emergency situation but this should not be normal practice. Furthermore this has nothing to do with the hardware you are using this this is NOT a DDJ-SZ related issue.
Carlos66 6:06 PM - 4 May, 2014
Hello,
I know all that analyze and create same name folders..And my concept working before fine...And working still fine Pioneer DDJ-SX but no any more SZ...
Its a right name that...What you called emergency situation because if want play songs without analyze...for example memory stick...You not cant because something changed....
Software...Firmware.???
That used in an emergency....Not working anymore...
Why did it work before and now it does not work anymore....
I ask that you answer the question...?

BR,Kari Hokkanen...
Dj Youkai 7:25 PM - 4 May, 2014
Quote:
Hello,
I know all that analyze and create same name folders..And my concept working before fine...And working still fine Pioneer DDJ-SX but no any more SZ...
Its a right name that...What you called emergency situation because if want play songs without analyze...for example memory stick...You not cant because something changed....
Software...Firmware.???
That used in an emergency....Not working anymore...
Why did it work before and now it does not work anymore....
I ask that you answer the question...?

BR,Kari Hokkanen...

Maybe it's a New Feature that is telling You that you "Shouldn't" use it that way. :)
IMHO you should start making crates and analyze your files the way it should be done to avoid any problems. Not a DDJ-SZ issue indeed. DDJ-SZ is a whole different Beast then the SX.
Dj Youkai 8:55 PM - 4 May, 2014
But.. Any way. Let's get back to the Topic shall we.
VJ Justin Allen 11:21 AM - 5 May, 2014
How do you know if it ships?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:34 AM - 5 May, 2014
Quote:
How do you know if it ships?

If you are using the pioneer online repair tracking. It will provide you with a tracking #
VJ Justin Allen 12:14 PM - 5 May, 2014
Thanks!
jroc453 3:49 PM - 5 May, 2014
Just called Pioneer today and now I have to wait for my shipping label.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 4:00 PM - 5 May, 2014
Just called Pioneer still no shipping info. Told in shipping dept. I'm getting irritated now because mine has shown repair complete since 4/30. Pioneer bullshitted us saying 2 week turnaround.
jroc453 4:06 PM - 5 May, 2014
That's BS. It has just sat there for 3 days? I would hope it ships today.
soundboyz 4:13 PM - 5 May, 2014
I was just inform that Pioneer is not repairing my controller DDJ-SZ. They have shipped out a brand new one for me.
jroc453 4:18 PM - 5 May, 2014
Quote:
I was just inform that Pioneer is not repairing my controller DDJ-SZ. They have shipped out a brand new one for me.

Why is that? And do you have to wait any longer for a new one?
blackavenger 4:19 PM - 5 May, 2014
Wow, aren't you lucky.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:59 PM - 5 May, 2014
Wheni first talked to pioneer and asked for a new replacement, she said they would have replaced mine with a new unit if they had stock. So I guess now they have stock available.

No matter to me now. I got mine and still happy :)
Dj Youkai 5:25 PM - 5 May, 2014
Quote:

You're so lucky, you may have an extra Serato Video Voucher then, please update when you receive the SZ back :-)
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 5:34 PM - 5 May, 2014
I received shipping label 4/10...starting to look like 4 weeks which is b.s. Only had it a week total when I sent it off.
jroc453 3:09 PM - 6 May, 2014
Mine is being dropped off at Fedex today. So Pioneer should have it in a week. I'm guessing this is going to be a 3 week ordeal with shipping both ways if I'm lucky.
soundboyz 9:01 PM - 6 May, 2014
I think Pioneer need to make an official statement about these units cause as the way things are going people confident in the DDJ-SZ is at a low. Pioneer need to come out and say weather there is a serious issue and stop the sale of the DDJ-SZ until they solve the batch that they have already sold.
deejdave 9:12 PM - 6 May, 2014
They already did. They told all authorized retailers to pull stock off shelves and send back to Pioneer. It is then up to the retailers to listen to them.
soundboyz 11:46 PM - 6 May, 2014
great.
soundboyz 11:53 PM - 6 May, 2014
Quote:
They already did. They told all authorized retailers to pull stock off shelves and send back to Pioneer. It is then up to the retailers to listen to them.

i just read the site and i did not see anything about a recall. where did Pioneer say to all authorized retailers to pull stock off shelves?

I did not see that ....
deejdave 12:04 AM - 7 May, 2014
Well we are not retailers are we? That was sent to retailers. If you ask an authorized retailer they should tell you more on when they got that message direct from Pioneer. Hence the reason why that is exactly what they have done. Make no mistake Pioneer has handled this entire issue with professionalism & care all in a timely manner. It is up to us to take advantage of the straight forward & direct advice & instructions they have set for us to follow if affected by this issue. Would we have been better off without the issue..................... probably (then again there are some individuals who got more than one Serato Video license by less than honest means, some of whom did not even keep any units LOL) but the point is it happened and Pioneer handles this like professionals.
jroc453 12:58 AM - 7 May, 2014
It's stated right here.
pioneerdj.com
BOOGIEFROMCUR 5:40 AM - 8 May, 2014
As much as I am enjoying all the conversations and the fuzz about the jogwheels...today I tested a unit and I noticed another bug and that is that lowering the upfader meant killing the effect on that channel also, with other words on this unit the effect was not working "post fader".
The sound of the effect should keep on going till it dies out especially in delay and echo effects.
Anybody notice this?
blackavenger 6:32 AM - 8 May, 2014
That's not a bug. Post-fader Effects are not supported on the SZ, and never will be. It's a limitation of the hardware.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 7:13 AM - 8 May, 2014
It was supported and working perfectly on the sx so why would it be a limitation on the sz?
pdidy 7:50 AM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
It was supported and working perfectly on the sx so why would it be a limitation on the sz?

you posted this same question at least 3 different times, 1 of which i answered for you and posted a link detailing it.

Take the time to READ it and you will have your answer.
Dj Lasse 7:53 AM - 8 May, 2014
My SZ was one of the first shipping out, i got it in last February. With the jog issues of course, at first i didn´t think it was a big problem but it was, i could´t keep the track at all and lost it almost every time.
I sent the unit away to fix it up, 5 days later i had it back and now it work as it should, i don´t have any problems at all with the controller. It works perfectly. :-)
deejdave 10:00 AM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:

My guess is because the SZ is not the SX. The SB has filter fade so I am guessing the SR, SX & SZ all are required to have that same feature as well using this logic correct?
VJ Justin Allen 11:10 AM - 8 May, 2014
And today my unit appears WITH a tracking number. And of course when it arrives next week I will be out of town for two weeks :) sigh
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:02 PM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
And today my unit appears WITH a tracking number. And of course when it arrives next week I will be out of town for two weeks :) sigh

Im glad you are getting it back :)

It is worth it!
Dj Youkai 6:38 PM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:

Awesome VJ Justin Allen.. Happy For You. :D
VJ Justin Allen 7:05 PM - 8 May, 2014
Thanks all. I am taking the long view with this controller so a few weeks here and there isn't a big deal. Just want to play around with it :)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:05 AM - 9 May, 2014
Well I have had mine back for a week and no other issues, latency or crossfader.

The feel/layout of the SZ over the SX and SR is nice!
Cant wait for my case to arrive so I can "walk" the SZ out lol
DJ Baby Raj 5:10 AM - 9 May, 2014
I hate you ALL!! I'm still waiting for new stock to come back in retailers.... Should have kept mine and sent it to Pioneer.... DAMN
North-Rider 4:47 PM - 9 May, 2014
Glad to see all issues are solved for most of you. I'm also waiting on it to be back in stock. I pre-ordered back in February. On a side note, can someone please explain and/or post a video on the echo color effect. Can the parameters be adjusted? It it my understanding that this is the only echo that it's post fader.
djmacklong 5:21 PM - 9 May, 2014
I can confirm that the echo IS post fader, along with the other "on board" effects. It's the SDJ effects that are pre-fader only.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 8:39 PM - 9 May, 2014
Mine just arrived, set it up no issues with platters or crossfader. Definitely worth the wait and minor 3/4 week setback.
AJJJ 2:24 AM - 11 May, 2014
Bought a DDJ-SZ a couple of weeks ago and I'm curious to know if my unit is affected by this issue or has been fixed by the reseller.

See this video I made:

Watchwww.youtube.com

It's a March 2014 build.
Dj Youkai 1:40 PM - 11 May, 2014
So what you think? Have you been looking at other videos who has platter problems? Does it matches your platter sensitivity? Or is it different, when you touch it, does it ever miss a contact? What you think?
Davideon 3:38 PM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
Bought a DDJ-SZ a couple of weeks ago and I'm curious to know if my unit is affected by this issue or has been fixed by the reseller.

See this video I made:

Watchwww.youtube.com

It's a March 2014 build.

Looks fine to me.
Kross-ddj 6:30 PM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
So what you think? Have you been looking at other videos who has platter problems? Does it matches your platter sensitivity? Or is it different, when you touch it, does it ever miss a contact? What you think?

Touch left jog with 1 finger (tip), then touch right jog with a few fingers while still keeping the finger on the left jog..... what happens?
DjCity 8:09 PM - 11 May, 2014
From what I can see, his works fine.
Dj Youkai 8:14 PM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:

Pretty Much What I was trying to Hint.
pdidy 10:15 PM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Pretty Much What I was trying to Hint.

Im assuming he's a new dj and doesn't know the difference between good or bad platter response.
AJJJ 1:23 AM - 12 May, 2014
It doesn't miss contact unless I use the very tip of my finger. But really, who uses the platter using their fingertips?

I've brought these out on 2 gigs and can perform flawlessly on vinyl mode with my mixes.

Any Canadians out here who've sent their equipment and got it back? Also, would you happen to know who to contact or send it to?

Thanks.
djmacklong 2:08 AM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:
It doesn't miss contact unless I use the very tip of my finger. But really, who uses the platter using their fingertips?

This again?
blackavenger 2:40 AM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:

The point is, your controller exhibits the issue. Why would you want to keep it that way knowing that there is an underlying problem? I mean, who knows if this issue might not develop into a larger one later down the road. Pioneer discovered the issue, and has a fix for it. Don't be reluctant, send it in for repair.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 6:53 AM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The point is, your controller exhibits the issue. Why would you want to keep it that way knowing that there is an underlying problem? I mean, who knows if this issue might not develop into a larger one later down the road. Pioneer discovered the issue, and has a fix for it. Don't be reluctant, send it in for repair.

Yours isn't showing the problems like the rest of us had.
blackavenger 12:11 PM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:

Quote:

He says it loses contact w' the tips of his fingers. Therefore, it does exhibit the same behavior as those that experienced the failure.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:53 PM - 12 May, 2014
Send it back asap
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 7:48 PM - 12 May, 2014
I saw his video and it looked like it was working fine. Mine wouldn't stop at all using one finger.
Dj Youkai 8:08 PM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

He says it loses contact w' the tips of his fingers. Therefore, it does exhibit the same behavior as those that experienced the failure.

I say he should post a video using the tip of his finger also. As far as I see, it looks like it's working pretty good. If he's having Tip Finger Issues. He should send it for repair.
AJJJ 8:25 PM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I say he should post a video using the tip of his finger also. As far as I see, it looks like it's working pretty good. If he's having Tip Finger Issues. He should send it for repair.

As I said, I notice the sensitivity issue when using the Finger Tips and only if I intentionally do it.

Otherwise, if I hold the platter properly or even with one finger (flat) - doesn't miss contact at all and from my understanding is what Pioneer designed it to be.

I've called the retailer and they will exchange mine from the newer batch when they come in a couple of weeks (to be safe).
Dj Youkai 8:32 PM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:
As I said, I notice the sensitivity issue when using the Finger Tips and only if I intentionally do it.

Otherwise, if I hold the platter properly or even with one finger (flat) - doesn't miss contact at all and from my understanding is what Pioneer designed it to be.

I've called the retailer and they will exchange mine from the newer batch when they come in a couple of weeks (to be safe).

If it was designed like that. Pioneer wouldn't have recalled it. And wouldn't have given free shipping labels for repairs.

If your platters act the same as mine as in my video. Then you have no worries.
This video is when I finally got it back from platter repair. And it's working 110% Better than before.
youtu.be
AJJJ 8:39 PM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:

If it was designed like that. Pioneer wouldn't have recalled it. And wouldn't have given free shipping labels for repairs.

If your platters act the same as mine as in my video. Then you have no worries.
This video is when I finally got it back from platter repair. And it's working 110% Better than before.
youtu.be

I totally agree with you.

But in fairness to Pioneer, I think they were more forced to acknowledge the issue and conduct a recall to silence these one-finger whiners. Every major company would do the same. Just my 2 cents.

They're doing the right thing.
djmacklong 8:52 PM - 12 May, 2014
One-finger whiners? Ignorance is bliss, eh?

My SZ was UNUSABLE due to this issue, as were many others. Just because it's not a problem for you, doesn't mean it's not a real issue.

I'm able to scratch faster and more accurately when I'm just using my fingertips because there is less surface area making contact with the record/platter. When I push the record forward, the flat part of my finger touches the surface - just like yours - but when I pull back, that motion naturally causes only my finger tips to keep contact. It was at this point that my platters would "let go" and essentially become nothing more than jog wheels. This is poor *performance* issue -- poor performance by the machine, which causes poor performance by the DJ.
jroc453 2:14 PM - 13 May, 2014
So has anyone except soundboyz gotten a brand new replacement instead of a repair? He seems to be the only one that got a new SZ.
Davideon 2:21 PM - 13 May, 2014
Well my platters don't react to any touch unless its my skin. Finger nails don't respond etc. It's in no way a problem.

AJJJ: it.sounds like your looking for a fault. Your platters seemingly work fine
blackavenger 3:02 PM - 13 May, 2014
Quote:
So has anyone except soundboyz gotten a brand new replacement instead of a repair? He seems to be the only one that got a new SZ.

I assume he sent his back to the retailer....though, I could be wrong.
jroc453 3:10 PM - 13 May, 2014
So he will probably be sending that new one right back to pioneer...
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 4:56 PM - 13 May, 2014
Quote:

I haven't heard of anyone else getting a new one from Pioneer.
blackavenger 5:00 PM - 13 May, 2014
Quote:

If I remember correctly, he said that he has to wait until' they get new stock. So, perhaps not.
jroc453 5:33 PM - 13 May, 2014
Mine is in stage (2)!!! Hopefully they will be able to finish it and ship it out by the end of the week. This whole thing feels like it's taking forever.
jroc453 5:34 PM - 13 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

If I remember correctly, he said that he has to wait until' they get new stock. So, perhaps not.

I wonder if they rush shipped some of the new batch directly to Pioneer. You would think they would. Idk?
Dj Youkai 6:30 PM - 13 May, 2014
Mine is Coming Back Home this Thursday :D
jroc453 6:32 PM - 13 May, 2014
Congats Youkai!!! I hope they got it right this time.
djmacklong 7:26 PM - 13 May, 2014
Yes, Soundboyz sent his back to the retailer.
damehype 7:54 PM - 13 May, 2014
Mine will be back this Thursday also so I'll check to see if they did anything to the crossfader
DJ Squeeze Me 9:31 PM - 13 May, 2014
mine arrived at Pioneer's repair center on the April 30th
They haven't inputted my DDJ SZ in the system. its now 5/13 with no status on my DDJ SZ even when i call pioneer. how fking ridiculous is this. They keep telling me they will email me a status update but it hasn't happened yet.

frustrated :(
Djpr1 1:43 AM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
They haven't inputted my DDJ SZ in the system. its now 5/13 with no status on my DDJ SZ even when i call pioneer. how fking ridiculous is this. They keep telling me they will email me a status update but it hasn't happened yet.

Mine arrived on 4/18 and is 5/13 and still on Repair Stage.
blackavenger 2:36 AM - 14 May, 2014
Damn, why do Y'all put up w' that? I would be on the phone raising HELL!!
jroc453 11:42 AM - 14 May, 2014
Only thing that comes to mind is that they are waiting for parts?? Mine is in stage 2 now and I could only hope that it doesn't stay that way for 3 weeks :/
jroc453 11:45 AM - 14 May, 2014
I only got to use my SZ twice. I just want it back and get my case already. I never waited so long to use a piece of gear... geez.
jroc453 11:54 AM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Mine will be back this Thursday also so I'll check to see if they did anything to the crossfader

Keep us posted cuz that was one of my issues. I also wasn't so happy with 1.6.2. lots of dropouts. I never updated to 1.6 and found 1.5 pretty good. I set my USB buffer at 0 on scratch live without any dropouts and my buffer at 1 with 1.5 and it was pretty solid but that's not the case with 1.6.2. I also read somewhere that the usb buffer is not the same with SDJ. Something about SDJ's USB buffer being tighter then scratch live??? Someone said that in SDJ set at 5 is the same as it being set at 0-1 in scratch live. Is that the case?
djmacklong 2:20 PM - 14 May, 2014
That's what they're saying.

After tinkering with some settings, I've found that 1ms latency and 5ms device buffer is ideal for me. I can bring my buffer all the way down to 1ms without any sort of dropouts or warning lights, but the sound quality is pretty terrible.
jroc453 2:46 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
That's what they're saying.

After tinkering with some settings, I've found that 1ms latency and 5ms device buffer is ideal for me. I can bring my buffer all the way down to 1ms without any sort of dropouts or warning lights, but the sound quality is pretty terrible.

I noticed a static sound of some sort at times. Even my wife said it sounded pretty bad. When I get it back I will try it around 5 and see if I'm able to scratch ok with it that high.
djmacklong 3:04 PM - 14 May, 2014
I'm not sure if you're understanding me clearly.

AUDIO LATENCY -- 1ms

DEVICE BUFFER -- 5ms

These are two different settings. 5ms buffer is extremely low (considering the highest is 50ms) and will leave your control very, very tight.

This is for DVS. Not the SZ.
jroc453 3:10 PM - 14 May, 2014
gotcha...
jroc453 3:11 PM - 14 May, 2014
I was only talking about the USB Buffer
djmacklong 3:25 PM - 14 May, 2014
yeah keep that one at 1ms or 2ms. 2ms is supposed to be tighter than 0-1 on SSL.
jroc453 3:41 PM - 14 May, 2014
Well thats good to know. I will try it at 2 when I get my unit back, I'm still on Scratch Live with my 62 and 1200's. Do you have any issues with SDJ with your other gear?
djmacklong 5:49 PM - 14 May, 2014
Not anymore. Every application I've used with SDJ is working flawlessly at this point.

SZ alone (except the platter latency with scratching).
SZ with turntables
62 with turntables
61 with turntables
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 7:19 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Mine arrived on 4/18 and is 5/13 and still on Repair Stage.

It's about 4 week process.
DjCity 7:26 PM - 14 May, 2014
I got mine back yesterday but have not tested it yet.
I got the same one back, not a brand new one.

What's curious is that I got a DDJ-SZ box with the correct serial number even though I did not send the original box back to Pioneer.

I have two boxes for the sz now. Both with the correct serial number.

I will test out the sz today. So far after just hooking up and playing around, the platter issue is totally gone and I don't seem to have the X fader issue.

Will test more tomorrow.
I gotta dj tonight and I'm using my sz.
The sz will not leave the house till the case arrives.
soundboyz 8:51 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't heard of anyone else getting a new one from Pioneer.

I was told yesterday after asking about mine from Pioneer. they pull all the first batch of SZ from Dealers, and they not shipping any new once until this first batch issue is solve. i ask when is that they said Next month.
soundboyz 8:53 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Yes, Soundboyz sent his back to the retailer.

The retailer is Diplomate Trading Inc. located in Miami
deejdave 8:54 PM - 14 May, 2014
That is not what he meant LOL. He meant he hasn't heard of anyone getting a new one instead of getting their unit fixed as that one user did. The info you were told has already been made public.
soundboyz 9:08 PM - 14 May, 2014
Pioneer had recall on all the units. i was told that in an email from Diplomate Trading Inc. where i bought mine. and i am not getting back the old unit but instead i will be getting a new unit.
soundboyz 9:10 PM - 14 May, 2014
Orestes Ordaz from Diplomat Trading Inc. is the person i have been dealing with on this matter.
damehype 10:42 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Pioneer had recall on all the units. i was told that in an email from Diplomate Trading Inc. where i bought mine. and i am not getting back the old unit but instead i will be getting a new unit.

You should have sent your unit directly to Pioneer...
deejdave 11:22 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Orestes Ordaz from Diplomat Trading Inc. is the person i have been dealing with on this matter.

Exactly. You apparently ignored the very specific instructions laid out by Pioneer. You have every right to bring it to the retailer though. It is up to each retailer as each one has different return policies etc. You are NOT receiving a new unit from Pioneer as we are talking about here. You are receiving a new one from your retailer. At least hopefully as this is in no way the proper course of action laid forth my the manufacturer. IF you do get one you will be getting it WELL after everyone else has received their units as everyone else here is dealing straight with the manufacturer while you have brought a middle man into the equation. Furthermore as you said yourself your middle man will not be getting anything until all of the people from the first batch have been taken care of. This should have included you but I guess you put yourself on the second batch roster.
deejdave 11:24 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:

Again this is in no way similar to what is being discussed here. There was one individual who received a new unit from Pioneer directly instead of them replacing his.

You are not even dealing with Pioneer directly so could not possibly receive a new one direct from them. I hope this is making a little more sense to you now.
djmacklong 3:33 PM - 15 May, 2014
Let me jump in for soundboyz real quick since there's a key piece of info that is being overlooked (we've been chatting about this stuff off of these forums):

He lives in Trinidad & Tobago. They do not have a store that is an authorized Pioneer dealer so he had to order from his closest retailer which is located in Miami (which is obviously out of country). He called Pioneer about this issue and they told him that he had to ship the unit back to the retailer, who would then send the unit back to Pioneer. If anyone has ignored simple instructions, it's the retailer, who chose to simply replace the unit (which may or may not have the same issue) rather than sending it in for repair.

Yes, clearly there was some confusion about where exactly the new unit was coming from, but I'm nervous about this because he had to pay for shipping back to Miami, which if I recall correctly, cost him about $250, and I'm afraid he's going to wind up with the same issue all over again.
blackavenger 3:38 PM - 15 May, 2014
Quote:
he had to pay for shipping back to Miami, which if I recall correctly, cost him about $250, and I'm afraid he's going to wind up with the same issue all over again.

Damn, poor guy! That's a shitty situation.
soundboyz 1:03 AM - 16 May, 2014
Thanks djmacklong you said it all there for me thank you again
soundboyz 1:09 AM - 16 May, 2014
when I spoke to Ashley@pioneer-usa.com at Pioneer she said they will send the shipping label to Diplomate Trading for them to send the unit to repair then send it back to Diplomate Trading after repair and Diplomate Trading will then ship out to me. After I send the unit back to Diplomate Trading i was told i am getting a new one which is different from what Ashley@pioneer-usa.com told me. so i believe because i live in Trinidad & Tobago out of the USA and there is no authorized Pioneer dealer. I have to suffer abit before i get mine.
soundboyz 1:11 AM - 16 May, 2014
Here in Trinidad & Tobago if we want any DJ product or hardware it cost up alot of money shipping and clearing unless we have someone travelling and can bring it in with then when they travel. Even Apple computers.
deejdave 2:30 AM - 16 May, 2014
That SUX. I would be making annual trips to the states JUST to get my hardware fix every year. Is this all pro audio or just the cutting edge stuff. As in can you get speakers n stuff?
damehype 5:08 AM - 16 May, 2014
Received mine back today. Jog wheel is fine. Seems they did something to my crossfader, it seems a lot sharper now. As soon as I nudge it, the sound cuts in as it should when set to sharpest curve and 0ms in utilities mode. But I have noticed something a lil different than I remember. With two identical songs playing on each deck, if I move the crossfader over it sounds...different. I know about Phasing but this phase effect is different. On my 62 and previously on the SZ and the SX, it would get louder. Now on the SZ since I've gotten it back, the sound gets quieter and thinner and "pulses" in waves. Maybe this is how the true phase cancellation should sound but it struck me and I noticed it as just, well different.

Another thing, as to the jog wheel latency... I went back into utilities mode and increased the midi message interval of the jog wheel to 6 ms. The default is 4 ms and the manual said increase if you are having issues. It seems to have helped a bit. I'm gonna try to tinker with it some more tomorrow and see if it indeed is making a difference or not.
djmacklong 6:21 AM - 16 May, 2014
Quote:
the sound gets quieter and thinner

This was a common issue with the 57.

I'm gonna try out the midi interval on mine. Shit I'll bump it to 50 if that'll tighten me up all the way, lol.
djmacklong 6:26 AM - 16 May, 2014
well...13, lol.
djmacklong 6:55 AM - 16 May, 2014
Yeah that didn't help.
DJ Chuckie Chuck 6:45 AM - 17 May, 2014
A same situation like me.
I live in Malaysia and i purchased a SZ from Singapore (the time i purchased, SZ currently not available in Malaysia Market).
I had a small issue with the jog wheel and i get back with the Pioneer Singapore and they said i need to ship back my unit to Pioneer Singapore for the hardware fix since the warranty is only valid in Singapore. After a few discussion, Pioneer Malaysia agree to fix my SZ for free. I just need to bring my unit to Pioneer Malaysia located in Kuala Lumpur.
I think Pioneer need to make all it's DJ product covered by International Warranty.

Quote:
Let me jump in for soundboyz real quick since there's a key piece of info that is being overlooked (we've been chatting about this stuff off of these forums):

He lives in Trinidad & Tobago. They do not have a store that is an authorized Pioneer dealer so he had to order from his closest retailer which is located in Miami (which is obviously out of country). He called Pioneer about this issue and they told him that he had to ship the unit back to the retailer, who would then send the unit back to Pioneer. If anyone has ignored simple instructions, it's the retailer, who chose to simply replace the unit (which may or may not have the same issue) rather than sending it in for repair.

Yes, clearly there was some confusion about where exactly the new unit was coming from, but I'm nervous about this because he had to pay for shipping back to Miami, which if I recall correctly, cost him about $250, and I'm afraid he's going to wind up with the same issue all over again.
Djpr1 2:50 AM - 19 May, 2014
After calling Pioneer every week for a month and wondering what was going on with my Sz, finally got it back. For some reason they couldn't tell me exactly why it took so long. First they said they were fixing the loose knobs and fader caps, then somehow it got lost in the bunch....etc etc.
After bitching about the whole situation they worked on it the same day and ship it next day.

(The Good)

*They did fix the platter issue and warped platters.

(The Bad)

*After telling me that they were working on the loose knobs and upfader caps they didn't do anything about it.

*They used a really old screw when they put the SZ back together on a very visible spot. Left bottom corner right next to the PLAY/PAUSE button. Wtf...

*Channel 3 and 4 RCA jack port is missing the center screw that holds the assembly. A real WTF! !

I'm really going to think twice before buying another Pioneer product...
djmacklong 3:01 AM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:

*They used a really old screw when they put the SZ back together on a very visible spot. Left bottom corner right next to the PLAY/PAUSE button. Wtf.../quote]

You totally missed a walk off home run opportunity to say "(The Ugly)" here.
Djpr1 4:15 AM - 19 May, 2014
Yes I did macklong...;)
jroc453 11:14 AM - 20 May, 2014
Mine has been in stage (2) for a week??? It's looking like it won't ship back to me by the end of the week. Getting pissed off! This whole fix is taking about a month with shipping. I only had the SZ for 3 days and could really use it.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 11:28 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Mine has been in stage (2) for a week??? It's looking like it won't ship back to me by the end of the week. Getting pissed off! This whole fix is taking about a month with shipping. I only had the SZ for 3 days and could really use it.

I told you it's about a month. I thought they would've had a handle on this by now. I know the feeling though had mine 10 days before I shipped out. But it'll be worth the wait once you get it back.
jroc453 11:33 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I told you it's about a month. I thought they would've had a handle on this by now. I know the feeling though had mine 10 days before I shipped out. But it'll be worth the wait once you get it back.

I hope so... Just sucks that I waited a week to "hope" that it didn't have the jog wheel issue. Then had it for 3 days just to ship it back to the west cost and have it sit at Pioneer for at least two more weeks then take another week to ship back to me. This has been the biggest tease ever. I wonder if I should call Pioneer today to see if they can pick up the pace a bit?
jroc453 11:58 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

And from what I remember... you waited 10 days just for yours to ship.
jroc453 12:00 PM - 20 May, 2014
After it was fixed....
Dj Youkai 3:30 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
I hope so... Just sucks that I waited a week to "hope" that it didn't have the jog wheel issue. Then had it for 3 days just to ship it back to the west cost and have it sit at Pioneer for at least two more weeks then take another week to ship back to me. This has been the biggest tease ever. I wonder if I should call Pioneer today to see if they can pick up the pace a bit?

I think you should just call them and ask what's going on. You deserve an Explanation.
jroc453 3:34 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I think you should just call them and ask what's going on. You deserve an Explanation.

I called this morning. The jog wheels have been fixed but I had the issue that Macklong has with the crossfader/jog lag and I think that's whats holding up mu repair. So not sure how much longer till it's done. Hows yours working? You all setup now?
jroc453 3:38 PM - 20 May, 2014
They won't speed it up any for me. So I still have to wait for stage (2) to be finished then get to stage (3). Looks like stage (3) takes just as long (shipping out) as it does to fix it. So I'm probably still looking at about 2 more weeks till I get it back. It is what it is...
Dj Youkai 3:56 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

I called this morning. The jog wheels have been fixed but I had the issue that Macklong has with the crossfader/jog lag and I think that's whats holding up mu repair. So not sure how much longer till it's done. Hows yours working? You all setup now?

@jroc453 Well at least you know now they fixing that also. Maybe when I sent mine they actually read my letter there and even watch my video also. So now they are checking the crossfaders also before they shipped it back. It's a hassel for me when I had to ship it back twice. Lucky for you at least they will fix that also then you have to find out and you have to ship it back again right?

As for my SZ ....
I used it at this Dance Function this past Friday. Cross Fader works and platters works perfectly, but I just noticed something weird though on Serato Video. When I look at the preview in Serato DJ, the videos gets stuck in the beginning like it's trying to buffer first. The music plays, just video is frozen for like 10 seconds or so. Weird..tt wasn't like that when I sent it. But luckily they never asked for VideoDJ so it was ok, Then I went straight to my DJ gig at the club, and plugged it the DDJ-SX with the same Macbook Pro Retina. And it's worked Perfectly. The only difference maybe is the USB cable that's attached to the SZ is different from the SX since the SX controller & USB cable are already at the club. Wonder if it's faulty USB cable? Anyone experiencing this? Do you know if the Serato 1.6.3 updated Serato DJ also? I haven't tried it yet. Maybe they fixed this Issue also. I'll try see if it makes any difference to use a different USB cable. Keep you updated here.
bbnation 8:48 PM - 20 May, 2014
A new firmware came out today. is that for everyone even for them who got fixed the jog wheel?
Dj Youkai 9:25 PM - 20 May, 2014
I know.. Just I haven't tried it yet.. Hope this won't effect my jog wheels. LOL .. Pretty sure it won't
jroc453 9:29 PM - 20 May, 2014
Repair completed!!! Stage 3! Hope it ships before Friday.
Dj Youkai 9:32 PM - 20 May, 2014
YAY!!! CONGRATS @jorc453 .. You probably got a new Crossfader also just like mine. Of course. New fader or not. At least it's done :)
saintsimon 9:56 PM - 20 May, 2014
My unit is back home now. But I won't be able to test the unit until later tonight.

Here are the details of the date/timing. Keep in mind - I asked them to fix my warped, uneven edges and surface on both jogwheels so the turnaround time was probably affected by this.

Repair Order Date: 4/11/2014
Received Date: 4/15/2014
Completion Date: 5/14/2014
Shipped Date: 5/19/2014

Without even I am fairly disappointed with them for new reasons and I am tired and jaded of their rookie mistakes. I requested that the unit be shipped back to my work address instead of my home address, and they disregarded that - didn't even bother to email or call to say they couldn't do that. All I got was a status update...no email - so it really was on me to check the status of the warranty service to find out the tracking #. Come to find out the unit was "Delivered - Left at front door. Signature Service not requested." REALLY?! A $2000 box sitting at my FRONT DOOR, while I am at work. The box was delivered at 12:30pm and I don't get home til 6:30pm. 6 hours of time for someone to have a $2000 quick grab.
So obviously I had to tell my boss I need to rush home real quick to grab the box before some kid does. I was rushing home ASAP. All this because Pioneer warranty ignored my request to return the unit to the address I told them to ship it to, I had the address taped on my unit along with my office biz card.
I lost a lot of faith in this company...
:(
DJ NOOZER 11:55 PM - 20 May, 2014
Repair Order Date: 4/28/2014
Received Date: 5/6/2014
Completion Date: 5/12/2014
Shipped Date: 5/14/2014
Received today via FedEx: 5/20/2014.

Package arrived in the same factory box that I sent it out in. Inside was all of the Pioneer service paperwork reports. Pioneer packed the unit and taped the box up as if it was a brand new unit. Once opened, the SZ was not damaged, dinged or altered.

Thoroughly tested out the SZ and all initial problems are now gone. Touch sensitivity issues are now a thing of the past. Platters are working flawlessly!
I experienced crossfader / platter latency issues when scratching on the right deck prior to sending unit out.
That has all been resolved as well. I'm assuming Serato DJ 1.6.3 and the SZ firmware update 1.15 fixed that!
Happy SZ owner right here. Just waiting for my black label case to come in, then life is good!

-Nooz
djmacklong 11:59 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
A new firmware came out today. is that for everyone even for them who got fixed the jog wheel?

I tried to update my firmware, but it says that my SZ is not connected. Meanwhile, the software was running in the background, showing that my SZ was, in fact, connected.

I'm not sure why I still expect any of these fixes to actually work.
DJ NOOZER 12:03 AM - 21 May, 2014
@dmjacklong...

connect all usb connections from SZ to computer > Power off SZ > Power on SZ while holding shift + sync

Master db level should indicate one red LED.

You are now in firmware update mode.
djmacklong 12:14 AM - 21 May, 2014
thanks
saintsimon 12:14 AM - 21 May, 2014
i knew that sync button had some purpose...
Dj Youkai 5:17 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
i knew that sync button had some purpose...

ROTFL
jroc453 11:39 AM - 21 May, 2014
@djmaclong, Now you need to post a video of the same scratching with all of the updates. I would love to see this!! I hope to get mine by the end of next week.
jroc453 11:40 AM - 21 May, 2014
#Macklong# my bad brotha!
djmacklong 2:13 PM - 21 May, 2014
I'll do one in a couple hours.
jroc453 3:15 PM - 21 May, 2014
Mine shows Repair completed-Unit shipped. Does that mean I will get a tracking number today and it will ship out today?
Dj Youkai 3:19 PM - 21 May, 2014
Your tracking should be posted soon, maybe later on today, or you can call Pioneer and ask for it.
jroc453 3:27 PM - 21 May, 2014
Cool... I just saw that a few people had to wait a few days for it to ship and wasn't sure if it was a few days before it says (unit shipped) or after. I just checked it and they added (unit shipped) under Repair completed. They must have done this an hour ago because it wasn't there this morning.
saintsimon 4:23 PM - 21 May, 2014
Tested the unit real quick when I got back home last night - the unit is like night and day. Completely functional. Definitely operating as it should. I even temporarily placed a vinyl sticker on the surface (i still intend on coating the surface of the wheels with black), and just a little of the sensitivity is lost (light touch from single finger tip doesn't register) but the touch does react well regardless- before the repair, the vinyl sticker made the jogwheels only work 30% of the time. Crazy! Very happy with the repair and it was worth the wait - even though there were several hiccups and issues with delivery.

Here are some more details about the dates on my service...
Repair Order Date: 4/11/2014
Received Date: 4/15/2014
Completion Date: 5/14/2014 (it took 1 month) - maybe longer because of the new jog wheel replacement requested by me [warped edges] - or maybe took longer I missed the boat on the first wave of repairs.
Shipped Date: 5/19/2014 (it took 5 days after the completion date was posted) - I'm guessing it takes 2-3 business days to process shipping (because the 5 days includes a 2 day weekend)
Date when the DDJ-SZ arrived at my door: 5/20 (the very next day - because I live a few cities over from the facility.)

Questions for others who got their unit back:
Anyone else notice if their knobs and surface came back coated with a bunch of dust/crap? Their service facility must be really dirty.
DJ Chuckie Chuck 7:25 PM - 21 May, 2014
Received a call from Pioneer Malaysia and they ask me to send my unit to them.
Need to take a flight to the Pioneer Malaysia HQ next week since i need to settle something before i go.
Lets see hows it goes.
Dj Youkai 7:48 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Questions for others who got their unit back:
Anyone else notice if their knobs and surface came back coated with a bunch of dust/crap? Their service facility must be really dirty.

Dang... I never got mine back like that. Mine came back with another Original Box with that white wrapper on it and the hard foam.. Pretty much it look like the first time I opened it brand new.
DjCity 9:08 PM - 21 May, 2014
Mine came back in a SZ BOX even though I sent it in a brown box.
It came back clean but one corner is buckled like they tightened the screw too tight.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it out not to send it back again.

I just might. Don't know yet.
saintsimon 9:11 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

Mine came back with another Original Box with that white wrapper on it and the hard foam.

Actually, mine came back just like yours - it's just that there is a lot of dust/weird fabric fibers stuck to all the knobs - it comes off easy, but its like the work area was fairly dusty...makes me wonder if they are inhaling all that stuff!

Quote:

It came back clean but one corner is buckled like they tightened the screw too tight.

Wow. Can you take a photo and share it on imgur? I want to see how bad it looks.
DjCity 9:15 PM - 21 May, 2014
I will do that when I get back home.
It's not bad but it IS there.
bbnation 8:04 AM - 22 May, 2014
So any update about that new firmware if it's for us who got fixed the jog wheel?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:04 AM - 22 May, 2014
^you better download SDJ 1.6.3 and SZ firmware updates
jroc453 1:12 PM - 22 May, 2014
So I guess my unit didn't ship out yesterday. By the time I get it back and up and running... Pioneer will be dropping the DDJ-SZ MKII.
blackavenger 1:27 PM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
So I guess my unit didn't ship out yesterday. By the time I get it back and up and running... Pioneer will be dropping the DDJ-SZ MKII.

....or retailers will be restocked w' the updated units.

AGIPRODJ says they'll have them in stock June 20th.
djmacklong 2:32 PM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
So any update about that new firmware if it's for us who got fixed the jog wheel?

Yes, it's great. My unit runs flawlessly now.
evillevi 7:40 PM - 28 May, 2014
Here in Belgium (and in Holland), the price for the unit went up by 150 euros, not just in one shop, but everywhere! Uhm… I wonder what the cause is. The customer is paying for the necessary chip replacement for the MKII, I guess. If that is true, the SZ would see an increase in price everywhere. Did the price go up with you guys?
Dj Youkai 7:56 PM - 28 May, 2014
Quote:
Here in Belgium (and in Holland), the price for the unit went up by 150 euros, not just in one shop, but everywhere! Uhm… I wonder what the cause is. The customer is paying for the necessary chip replacement for the MKII, I guess. If that is true, the SZ would see an increase in price everywhere. Did the price go up with you guys?

Price still the same here, but what MKII you talking about. It's still the same model. They just had to change the chip for the platters.
evillevi 8:35 PM - 28 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Price still the same here, but what MKII you talking about. It's still the same model. They just had to change the chip for the platters.

Yeah I know. Anyway, I don't know if it's usual for Pioneer to increase the price once it is set. I cannot imagine that every DJ shop suddenly decides to ask a higher price.
deejdave 9:53 PM - 28 May, 2014
I think this is just supply & demand kicking in. The demand is sky high and the supply is not.
dj silent assassin 3:05 AM - 30 May, 2014
My dealer just contacted me this evening and said they got 13 from pioneer so I ordered mine....
dj silent assassin 3:07 AM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
My dealer just contacted me this evening and said they got 13 from pioneer so I ordered mine....

Sorry I didn't say what I was talking about the DDJ-SZ
djmacklong 3:22 AM - 30 May, 2014
This entire thread is about the SZ, lol.
jroc453 11:40 AM - 30 May, 2014
Got my unit back from Pioneer yesterday. I tested it out last night and everything feels flawless!! My cuts are nice and tight now. I just have two issues though. I went into the utility mode to set my crossfader to the lowest setting. After reading the manual it says to save settings press the power button. But if I go back into the utility mode it's not saving my setting. What am I over looking? I also have to set my USB buffer latency to (5) without getting dropouts with SDJ. In scratch Live I am able to keep it at (0) without any dropouts on my MBP.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:45 AM - 30 May, 2014
Did you upgrade the SZ firmware?
jroc453 11:47 AM - 30 May, 2014
It actually shipped with 1.15
jroc453 11:48 AM - 30 May, 2014
The repair was completed the same day they released the new firmware so I guess they tested mine with it installed.
DJ D-MoneyDC 1:17 PM - 30 May, 2014
So Ive read ALL these post on topic anyway and I have 1 MAJOR question....

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND PURCHASING THE DDJ-SZ?

I myself have the SX model and have been on it since it dropped with no issues at all...debating a 2nd unit

Those that are now SZ users from SX family.....your Pros and Cons please...
jroc453 1:23 PM - 30 May, 2014
I would in a heart beat!!! I have used and still own 1200's. They are true dj tools. But I started using controllers with the VCI300 then to the first Pioneer controller. Had it for a week and replaced it with a NS6 because the first Pioneer controller was a huge let down. Once the SX released I bought that and loved it but it still was feeling a bit toyish. Now I finally have a PRO controller. I love what the SZ is and very happy that I own one!
Dj Youkai 1:25 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
Got my unit back from Pioneer yesterday. I tested it out last night and everything feels flawless!! My cuts are nice and tight now. I just have two issues though. I went into the utility mode to set my crossfader to the lowest setting. After reading the manual it says to save settings press the power button. But if I go back into the utility mode it's not saving my setting. What am I over looking? I also have to set my USB buffer latency to (5) without getting dropouts with SDJ. In scratch Live I am able to keep it at (0) without any dropouts on my MBP.

@jroc453 I tried going to Utility mode and put the crossfader in the lowest setting turned it off.. then turned it back on .. and it saved my setting.
I don't know if this helps. But What I did was I held Shift and Play/Pause on the left. Turned on the SZ.. I kept holding the Shift and Play while the SZ lights up all the way like for like 3 seconds.. then I let go. Did that Rotary Dial on the left to change the crossfader settings. Then I turned in on. Then I waited like about 5 seconds. And repeated the steps to check if it was saved. And It did. I don't know if it that would help you. But that's what I did.
jroc453 1:28 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

@jroc453 I tried going to Utility mode and put the crossfader in the lowest setting turned it off.. then turned it back on .. and it saved my setting.
I don't know if this helps. But What I did was I held Shift and Play/Pause on the left. Turned on the SZ.. I kept holding the Shift and Play while the SZ lights up all the way like for like 3 seconds.. then I let go. Did that Rotary Dial on the left to change the crossfader settings. Then I turned in on. Then I waited like about 5 seconds. And repeated the steps to check if it was saved. And It did. I don't know if it that would help you. But that's what I did.

That's the same thing I did. I am just not sure I'm exiting out of the utility mode the right way. It saved my change to not go into demo mode by pressing the "echo" button. That saved. What did you set your crossfader to? how many bars?
Dj Youkai 1:29 PM - 30 May, 2014
I like my SX, but I LOVE MY SZ :D .. It's a great investment.

Cons: Dam thing is Heavy with a Flight Case. Sucks cause I have to carry it down 6 Flights of Steps every time I have a Gig. (Old Building, No Elevator) And bring it back up. But I found a Solution... Take it out of the Case And Carry The Case first down.. then bring the Controller Down.. Then Put it back in the Case. LOL :P
DjCity 1:40 PM - 30 May, 2014
So far...

I still like my SX better than the SZ. Just might be because I'm not really used to it yet.

The weight of the SZ in the case blows!
The FX and oscillator are gimmicks at best. Not truly post fader but post up & down fader. The fx are not loud enough (echo).
The filter does not kill the sound like it does on the SX.
The rotary knobs feel REALLY breakable.

Besides is size and platter display, there's nothing too much special FOR ME.

I'm not switching dj's so the dual USB is not really a big deal for me.
I'm not gonna use my turntables with it because I don't feel like taking the 1/2 mile walk from turntable to turntable.

I do like the independent mic ch.
Dj Youkai 1:43 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:

That's the same thing I did. I am just not sure I'm exiting out of the utility mode the right way. It saved my change to not go into demo mode by pressing the "echo" button. That saved. What did you set your crossfader to? how many bars?

Oh.. I did change the demo mode to off (Pressed Echo) like yours and I also adjusted the Jog Wheels MIDI message to 1 just for kicks. Waited a few seconds then I turned it off then wait like 3-5 seconds then went back to Utility mode turned power on while holding the shift and play button till it all lights up then waited again for a 2-3 seconds then let go both buttons. Then I see it saved it. I put back the Midi message back to 4 (default).
damehype 2:15 PM - 30 May, 2014
The weight of the SZ in the case blows because you guys got the ones with the shelf. The ones without the shelves are 20lbs lighter. I'll wait on the shelfless model
Joee 2:32 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
The weight of the SZ in the case blows because you guys got the ones with the shelf. The ones without the shelves are 20lbs lighter. I'll wait on the shelfless model

www.odysseygear.com
24lbs.....
damehype 4:44 PM - 30 May, 2014
^^^ exactly... Versus

www.odysseygear.com

49 lbs
damehype 4:45 PM - 30 May, 2014
damehype 4:46 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

www.odysseygear.com
24lbs.....

Not available yet unless you want to pay $500 for US made
blackavenger 6:24 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
The filter does not kill the sound like it does on the SX.

That's a good thing! It means the resonance is balanced correctly.
Dj Youkai 6:30 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.odysseygear.com
24lbs.....

Not available yet unless you want to pay $500 for US made

Aliexpress can make it. ;)
DjCity 8:28 PM - 30 May, 2014
I'm still waiting for my case from Aliexpress.

I can wait though because my SZ is on the way BACK to Pioneer (again).
Dj Youkai 8:36 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
I'm still waiting for my case from Aliexpress.

I can wait though because my SZ is on the way BACK to Pioneer (again).

Wait.. What Happened to your SZ now? Sorry if I forgot.
DjCity 8:46 PM - 30 May, 2014
When I got it back from Pioneer, they seem to have screwed the right side faceplate down too much and buckled it on the top right corner.

The other thing is the fader(s).
My crossfader does not seem to have benefited from the new software and firmware. When I do chirps, it only catches one way, not both.
I have gone into utility settings within the SZ and adjusted down to 1 but still...no good.

Also, the upfaders are kinda loose. just CH's 1&2. They have the wiggles.

Pioneer NEEDS to fix these things.

They TRIED to make me pay for shipping but I went off on them and they sent me a shipping label.

I'm going to put SEVERAL notes in the box TAPED to the unit so they KNOW what's wrong with it.

Wish me luck.
Dj Youkai 8:50 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
When I got it back from Pioneer, they seem to have screwed the right side faceplate down too much and buckled it on the top right corner.

The other thing is the fader(s).
My crossfader does not seem to have benefited from the new software and firmware. When I do chirps, it only catches one way, not both.
I have gone into utility settings within the SZ and adjusted down to 1 but still...no good.

Pioneer NEEDS to fix these things.

They TRIED to make me pay for shipping but I went off on them and they sent me a shipping label.

I'm going to put SEVERAL notes in the box TAPED to the unit so they KNOW what's wrong with it.

Wish me luck.

Wow.. Sorry to hear that. And them making you pay for shipping will really piss me off. When I told them about my Cross Fader .. I had no problem getting a shipping label. It was like instant I got it like 2-3 hours that same day. I also taped notes on the unit also. Hehe... Yes.. Good luck on this man. I pretty sure they will get this right the second time around.
djmacklong 9:03 PM - 30 May, 2014
They saw my note, taped it to the inside of the box, and ignored it (slightly warped platter). It almost seems like, unless it's listed in the original warranty order submitted by the customer service rep, "noted" issued are ignored.
DjCity 9:06 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:
They saw my note, taped it to the inside of the box, and ignored it (slightly warped platter). It almost seems like, unless it's listed in the original warranty order submitted by the customer service rep, "noted" issued are ignored.

I will be sure to call them back and try to make sure the person I speak to notes all the issues on the repair order.
Dj Youkai 9:20 PM - 30 May, 2014
Quote:

I will be sure to call them back and try to make sure the person I speak to notes all the issues on the repair order.

I also did that also. And make sure you get that person's name that took that information also.
DJ D-MoneyDC 3:37 AM - 31 May, 2014
i swear all y'all issue stories i might just stick with my SX hahaha
deejdave 3:52 AM - 31 May, 2014
Same story from EVERY person with the same end for EVERY person. A GREAT controller which for me far exceeds my SX in every way possible except size yet the size part is not a factor for me anyways. Same amount of work carry (once in & once out) with more capabilities and a tighter flow. This in no way is saying that the SX is a poor controller though. IF I didn't have my SZ I would still be happy with my SX. I say why not both?
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 12:41 AM - 4 June, 2014
I've taken mine out on 5 gigs since getting it back from repair 5/10. Totally satisfied, even tighter response since the firmware update. Glad I copped mine early, it was worth the wait.
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:03 AM - 4 June, 2014
Pioneer support is shit anyhow so the stories of them trying to charge for shipping doesn't suprise me, and don't get me started on the pioneer forums,
DJ T-BUSA 3:45 AM - 6 June, 2014
does any one have any new updates on this controller I'm getting a lil tired of waiting pioneer should have it together by now...........its ridiculous that they don't have them back in stores by now.....
deejdave 3:46 AM - 6 June, 2014
PSSL.com has them. GC has them. Lots of stores have them....................... Have you tried asking the stores?
deejdave 3:48 AM - 6 June, 2014
A little bit goes a long way when it comes to research www.pssl.com
deejdave 3:49 AM - 6 June, 2014
DJ T-BUSA 3:52 AM - 6 June, 2014
thanks deejdave i was too busy looking through zzounds and sweet water didn't even know about these other stores
deejdave 3:54 AM - 6 June, 2014
NP. Just as a FYI it seems the 11th is the magic number for all the stores that are out. Either on the 11th or a few days after.
DJ Baby Raj 3:55 AM - 6 June, 2014
All the local GC around me doesn't have them yet.... Surprised since they usually get Pioneer gear first...
DJ T-BUSA 3:55 AM - 6 June, 2014
ok kool
deejdave 3:57 AM - 6 June, 2014
If you wanna do yourself a favor wait until thedjhookup.com has them as you can get it for less than ANY of the other stores.
deejdave 4:01 AM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
All the local GC around me doesn't have them yet.... Surprised since they usually get Pioneer gear first...

GC had the initial release exclusive. It's all up n the air now though. Between who's "owed" stock, the refurbs, the b-stock, the ones that slipped through the cracks & the returns............... this may be a little bit of a mess for a while. Just keep one thing in mind IF my some horrible chance you end up with a defective unit....................... KEEP IT!! Pioneer is offering some first class service to get your unit up & running and you should consider yourself lucky if you do grab a unit. These things are a super hot item. Lastly I can say these things are worth the wait. I haven't even touched my SX since I got the SZ. Actually have barely used my Nexus's TBH. I am a happy camper.
DJ Baby Raj 4:02 AM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

GC had the initial release exclusive. It's all up n the air now though. Between who's "owed" stock, the refurbs, the b-stock, the ones that slipped through the cracks & the returns............... this may be a little bit of a mess for a while. Just keep one thing in mind IF my some horrible chance you end up with a defective unit....................... KEEP IT!! Pioneer is offering some first class service to get your unit up & running and you should consider yourself lucky if you do grab a unit. These things are a super hot item. Lastly I can say these things are worth the wait. I haven't even touched my SX since I got the SZ. Actually have barely used my Nexus's TBH. I am a happy camper.

Great insight... Thanks!
soundboyz 2:37 PM - 6 June, 2014
today i am happy i got my DDJ-SZ back this morning i had to pay $150USD shipping from Miami to Trinidad and then $130USD to clear it at custom wow i spend alot of money on this damm unit. Thank god it is over and it is working great now..
dj silent assassin 4:43 PM - 6 June, 2014
Just got my DDJ-SZ an hour ago from UPS..... I got mine from PSSL IN California...... A couple street away from the Pioneer manufacture. Didn't even take it out the box yet because I have to leave for work now.... Lol I'll post how it is maybe tomorrow because am thinking about carrying it to my radio show tonight ...
deejdave 4:49 PM - 6 June, 2014
The Pioneer building may manufacture something but I am pretty sure all the manufacturing of the DJ products is done overseas. I could be wrong though.
deejdave 4:49 PM - 6 June, 2014
But congrats on getting your unit. You're gonna love it!
soundboyz 6:31 PM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:
But congrats on getting your unit. You're gonna love it!

Thanks
Dj Youkai 7:14 AM - 7 June, 2014
@soundboyz Congrats also. :)
soundboyz 9:22 AM - 7 June, 2014
Quote:
@soundboyz Congrats also. :)

Thanks Dj Youkai
geeunot 6:51 PM - 10 June, 2014
So for people in the States...you guys all paid for shipping back to the Pioneer factory right?
Dj Youkai 6:53 PM - 10 June, 2014
Quote:
So for people in the States...you guys all paid for shipping back to the Pioneer factory right?

Nope.. Pioneer paid for shipping.. the email you a shipping label.
dj silent assassin 7:01 PM - 10 June, 2014
Quote:
Just got my DDJ-SZ an hour ago from UPS..... I got mine from PSSL IN California...... A couple street away from the Pioneer manufacture. Didn't even take it out the box yet because I have to leave for work now.... Lol I'll post how it is maybe tomorrow because am thinking about carrying it to my radio show tonight ...
my DDJ SZ is working perfectly with no jog wheel issues. Still need to update my firmware to v115.... This is the latest version
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 12:42 AM - 11 June, 2014
Has anyone found any flight cases for the SZ without the laptop shelf?
djmacklong 12:54 AM - 11 June, 2014
Odyssey has one.
jjw1033 12:44 AM - 12 June, 2014
Case for SZ, this is what I'm thinking about. Check out interior dimensions, and under $300:
www.gatorcases.com
DJ Baby Raj 5:59 PM - 19 June, 2014
Just wanted to let everyone know since I've been following this from the start when I first got my first gen unit back in March... Finally got my brand new replacement from Guitar Center from the 2nd batch being supplied from Pioneer. Manufactured in April 2014

I can honestly say compared to my first one this one has been through quality control better. All the knobs are actually lined up straight.... My first one the 2 mic knobs were crooked. Platters look clean and feel great!! Big relief here!!
DJ Baby Raj 12:14 AM - 20 June, 2014
Question anyone with a updated unit what is your default MIDI message sending interval in the the utility settings? Mine out the box was 1ms however in the manual it said 4ms is default... Is this something they updated in the fixed units?

Thanks
djmacklong 1:40 AM - 20 June, 2014
1ms is tighter. It's part of the latest firmware update.
DJ Baby Raj 3:16 AM - 20 June, 2014
Thanks got it!
geeunot 8:08 PM - 25 June, 2014
I put 0 MS. So I've been waiting to send mine back like forever. For some reason, FedEx doesn't have a box big enough to fit my SZ safely! WTF...Anyone know where I can get a decent box to house this thing? I need to send this back asap.
geeunot 8:09 PM - 25 June, 2014
Woops ^ I meant 0 MS for the cross fader cut lag.
djmacklong 10:35 PM - 25 June, 2014
Send it back in your original box like everyone else.
geeunot 7:55 AM - 26 June, 2014
Quote:

I would if I had it...i threw it out...fuck. haha.
blackavenger 1:27 PM - 26 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I would if I had it...i threw it out...fuck. haha.

SMH!! Amateur move. Always keep the box.
DjCity 1:46 PM - 26 June, 2014
My SZ is on its way back to me for the 2nd time.

I really and truly hope they fixed the issues this time without creating any new issues.

I'm hoping to have my unit back in house by Monday.
blackavenger 2:03 PM - 26 June, 2014
Quote:
My SZ is on its way back to me for the 2nd time

Why for the second time...just curious?
DjCity 2:26 PM - 26 June, 2014
When I got it back from Pioneer the first time, they seem to have screwed the right side faceplate down too much and buckled it on the top right corner.

The other thing was the fader(s).
My crossfader did not seem to have benefited from the new software and firmware. When I did chirps, it only caught one way, not both.

Pioneer NEEDED to fix these things.

They TRIED to make me pay for shipping but I went off on them and they sent me a label.
blackavenger 3:50 PM - 26 June, 2014
Well, here's hoping they fixed everything for you.
geeunot 9:32 AM - 30 June, 2014
So I finally found a box for it. Fedex didn't have one big enough, so I went to UPS. Sending it today!
DjCity 12:34 AM - 3 July, 2014
I'm fucking Livid with Pioneer!

These MF's replaced the crossfader. THAT's IT!
They did NOT fix the faceplate...
They did NOT fix the ch. faders...

I called them and the lady I spoke to was very apologetic. She read the notes and said there was no reason for them NOT to fix the unit properly as the notes were pretty detailed. We are talking about the ticket pioneer created not notes from me.

She told me to email the receipt to them so they can go ahead and start the process of getting me a brand new unit.

Pioneer had had my SZ longer than I have.
I'm sooooooooooooooo fucking pissed with them.
Joee 12:59 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
I'm fucking Livid with Pioneer!

These MF's replaced the crossfader. THAT's IT!
They did NOT fix the faceplate...
They did NOT fix the ch. faders...

I called them and the lady I spoke to was very apologetic. She read the notes and said there was no reason for them NOT to fix the unit properly as the notes were pretty detailed. We are talking about the ticket pioneer created not notes from me.

She told me to email the receipt to them so they can go ahead and start the process of getting me a brand new unit.

Pioneer had had my SZ longer than I have.
I'm sooooooooooooooo fucking pissed with them.

this is the reason you don't wanna be one of the people that buys a brand new untested piece of gear

when the sx first came out it had problems too, now i did go out and buy a ddj sr when it was new but that was based off of the ddj sx so they already worked all the kinks out

well i hope they get it right & make you whole!
DjCity 10:16 AM - 3 July, 2014
It's not hurting me because I still have my SX and Reloop rp8000's.

It's just that I can't believe Pioneer fucked up as badly as they did.

How the hell do they NOT repair what is on the repair ticket?!?

Oh well,
At least they will send me a new unit (supposedly).
shadow23 2:40 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
IOh well,
At least they will send me a new unit (supposedly).

It's disappointing to here your situation and I do hope that Pioneer makes it up to you.
Dj Youkai 3:06 PM - 3 July, 2014
I'm so sorry to hear that also DjCity
Hope everything will be fine soon.
deejdave 1:21 AM - 8 July, 2014
I sent mine in June 20th and it finally went to "repair complete" status yesterday. Not all that long BUT I was quoted a one week waiting time. I strategically waited until when I did for a reason. I waited until after all the hustle & bustle from everyone else as the issue didn't affect me all that much. As a matter of fact it barely did at all. This is the reason I felt no urgency. This lead me to June 19th when i finally called. The problem (actually it was a blessing that turned into a small problem) was I purchased a new home. Again I was quoted a week so I felt there was no huge risk. I moved into my new home on the 4th and this meant I now had a new address. In comes the typical Pioneer problem. I was calling 2-3 times a day for 4 days straight before I finally got someone on the phone. Reason such as no answer whatsoever, the lines being closed for 2 hours of training ("In order for us to serve you better we will be closed for 2 hours today for training") which turned into being closed for the rest of the day (for 5 hours instead of 2) and lastly the line being shut down for "lunch" which ended up taking 3 hrs.

I will say again the fact that Pioneer is offering the service free of charge while paying for shipping both ways is truly awesome and as professional as you can get BUT the middle BS is unnecessary. Upon finally getting in touch with them at Pioneer I was told they have NO IDEA what was taking them so long as this is a standard fix at this point which we here on these pages can confirm better than anyone.

I guess in the long run I am just happy it is on its way and I was able to update the address so it will be delivered to the correct address as well but I am sure if anyone can appreciate what I am talking about it is the people here........................
shadow23 6:31 PM - 12 July, 2014
@deejdave

much respect to you mate. But offering the service free of charge and also pay for shipping is the least they can do. Actually the least that any company can do. Not saying that Pioneer's service is crap at all. Just saying that any company should repair/replace any product sold and pay for shipping too. That's just my opinion. Glad to hear that you finally going to get your baby back though.
deejdave 7:35 PM - 12 July, 2014
I completely agree I'm just a little disappointed that I feel it is because of this fact that they feel they can just get to things at their leisure. I feel they should still be a company of integrity and follow through with quoted times. Otherwise don't give quoted times. Serato has mastered this and you can never get mad at Serato for NOT following through with their timeline as there is no timeline (for support & updates etc.) Pioneer on the other hand gives me very specific time frames and completely ignores it.

All good though. I didn't get it today ................ yet so who knows if they even shipped it when they said "WE PROMISE IT WET OUT TODAY!!" I do know this. I sent a HDD out on Thursday and it got to Reno Nevada in ONE DAY!! So their timing seems a little long with shipping too. It is what it is. As long as I get the thing in a reasonable timeframe all is as good as it can be for now. It's not like the SZ is my only means of playing LOL.
DJNUBIUM 12:51 AM - 19 July, 2014
I bought a sz second hand and I only just noticed the platter issue, doh!!!!
deejdave 2:28 AM - 19 July, 2014
The good news is once you go through the hell process of Pioneer's CRAP service the thing is freakin on point!! I got it back eventually and WOW what a difference.
DJNUBIUM 8:29 AM - 19 July, 2014
ok, thanks Deejdave
Dj G cue 12:05 AM - 1 September, 2016
anyone have any pointers for me? I bought the SZ from a guy that shipped it to me. he said it was working fine. I now have it and the left jog wheel is not working. I contacted Pioneer and they told me to take it to a service center, I called that service center and they need all the papaerwork (receipt & warranty) which I don't have. can someone help me?
jroc453 12:10 AM - 1 September, 2016
I probably would think Pioneer is not doing the free jog wheel program anymore. Keep us posted man.
deejdave 12:18 AM - 1 September, 2016
Quote:
anyone have any pointers for me? I bought the SZ from a guy that shipped it to me. he said it was working fine. I now have it and the left jog wheel is not working. I contacted Pioneer and they told me to take it to a service center, I called that service center and they need all the papaerwork (receipt & warranty) which I don't have. can someone help me?

Unfortunately it sounds as if you did not purchase from an authorized retailer anyways and I believe that was one of the requirements. Very unfortunate. If you purchased it online I am assuming you use Paypal though and they will absolutely help you with this if you have documentation showing this individual stated it was in 100% working order etc. This will cover cost of item as well ash shipping both ways regardless of sellers policy. Just one of the things you agree to when selling via Paypal........................ GREAT news for you though.
jroc453 12:33 AM - 1 September, 2016
Good to hear. Get your money back