Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pioneer DDJ-SZ First Impressions

Kross-ddj 11:10 AM - 2 March, 2014
Had my SZ a couple of days now and gave it a good session last night so here are my first impressions:

I am used to having a SX and the size is the biggest thing, along with the build quality and also the sound quality difference is instantly noticeable. The hardware effects are quite handy and sound like hardware effects should. The oscillator is a nice addition if your going to use these in built sounds.... Knobs and faders feel much better and the crossfader has a feeling adjust.
I am really impressed so far but have a lot to get used to.
The one thing that does annoy me is the touch sensitivity on the jog wheels, while pioneer have added the much welcomed jog feeling adjust which is nice to have, they have taken away the touch sensitivity adjust and its just set to how they wanted it. I am used to having my SX set so that the slightest little touch will stop the track, it seems that the SZ is set so that very light touches, especially with one finger are not recognised, maybe this is to prevent accidental touches whilst playing live as it could be easily touched while pitch bending etc... suppose I will just have to get used to this.... fire any questions at me if you like.
Kross-ddj 11:35 AM - 2 March, 2014
Forgot to add, I got a free Serato Video licence in the box ;) missed out when I bought my SX
North-Rider 1:46 PM - 2 March, 2014
Congrats. I also pre-ordered. Hopefully I get mine soon.
DeeJayFanatic 5:08 PM - 2 March, 2014
I'm curious about the sz in relation to how the actual mixing takes place. With the previous ddj's, the fader blends/eq are through software internally. Meaning the eq and faders are just acting as midi and the software is actually performing the sound processing (eq,fades,etc.).

I'm wondering if the ddjsz sends the deck player output independently to the mixer channels and the fader and eq's are processed through the mixer hardware.

Anyone know the answer?
Kross-ddj 5:37 PM - 2 March, 2014
I think that the fader/EQ are hardware, even with the SX, none of these functions are software...... I use channel 4 as a line in from my PC and I can use the crossfader/faders/EQ knobs so it must be hardware
DeeJayFanatic 7:36 PM - 2 March, 2014
The reason I suspected the previous ddj's to be software base eq/fader is due to the option in the software setup to change eq settings. I know the filters were software.... Because I could hear the difference when playing an external source (cdj/vinyl).
DB3379 9:13 PM - 2 March, 2014
Congratulations for your new DJ-Toy. Mine is already pre-ordered too. Hopefully it'll arrvive next week.

Have you already used the DVS Function?
Kross-ddj 10:00 PM - 2 March, 2014
I haven't used the DVS function, I won't b using it, sorry..
DB3379 10:19 PM - 2 March, 2014
No worries. But thank you for your answer. But you're happy with the SZ? How about the built quality? Is the Knob of the pitch fader the same plastic feeling like on the CDJ's?

Sorry for the questions ... i can't wait to get mine next week.
Kross-ddj 10:29 PM - 2 March, 2014
It's no problem, the fader is better than on the SX but I can't really compare to the CDJ as the last ones I owned were the 800's
I'm very happy with the SZ the only 1 problem I have is the lack of capacitive touch adjustment on the jog wheels.... But I'm already starting to get used to it (I had my SX set so it was very responsive)
DB3379 10:39 PM - 2 March, 2014
I think that will be a change for me also. I work since two years with the Numark NS6 (which build quality is almost perfect) who has also capacitive touch jogwheels.

Hopefully my english isn't that bad that you can understand what i mean.
Code:E 11:06 PM - 2 March, 2014
Quote:
With the previous ddj's, the fader blends/eq are through software internally. Meaning the eq and faders are just acting as midi and the software is actually performing the sound processing (eq,fades,etc.).

WTF.... Are you sure. I'm pretty sure you're wrong there.

The filter may have been software but not the faders and EQ.

Now they could be digital, still done in hardware but digital, which would allow the software to be able to make changes to how the hardware works.
deejdave 3:11 AM - 3 March, 2014
The DDJ-SX faders, EQ's & filter knobs are absolutely not done through the software. If this were the case it would not be possible to control these parameters when connecting an external source. You can use the SX's mixer section without even having the software on remember?????
Davideon 6:07 AM - 3 March, 2014
Whats it like for scratching compared to the SX? I have never been able to scratch properly on the sx. tho that may be a settings issue, for which I'm glad the sz doesn't have sensitivity settings
Kross-ddj 8:04 AM - 3 March, 2014
With it not having sensitivity settings it means your stuck with how sensitive it is..... It seems to react perfectly to the actual flat of your finger, but not the very tips....
DJ Trice 12:44 PM - 3 March, 2014
Quote:
Had my SZ a couple of days now and gave it a good session last night so here are my first impressions:

The one thing that does annoy me is the touch sensitivity on the jog wheels, while pioneer have added the much welcomed jog feeling adjust which is nice to have, they have taken away the touch sensitivity adjust and its just set to how they wanted it. I am used to having my SX set so that the slightest little touch will stop the track, it seems that the SZ is set so that very light touches, especially with one finger are not recognised, maybe this is to prevent accidental touches whilst playing live as it could be easily touched while pitch bending etc... suppose I will just have to get used to this.... fire any questions at me if you like.

Hello,

1> I got my DDJ SZ too and this is exactly what i think for the jogs sensibility. This is my big problem for now. There is no touch sensitivity adjust on the DDJ SZ: that's a shame.

--> Is there any chance to get a fix from Pioneer (in a new Firmware) ?

2> My second problem (minor) is on SDJ: The way to edit Beatgrids on SDJ 1.6 has change. I cannot modify grids with computer's keyboard cursor. With SDJ 1.6 betas: Auto loop and manuals loops was perfect. With official 1.6: loops are not perfect anymore.

3> I must press Shift to open/close sub crates on my MBP (the case is not active on setup panel: tested on snow leopard 10.6.8 and Mavericks 10.9.2).
On windows pc i don't have this problem (same setup configuration on both)

That's all for me :-)
dj-freestyle 7:25 PM - 3 March, 2014
That not haveing a touch sensative control is a big one. that could be a issue for me and other djs for sure. wow
Davideon 9:41 PM - 3 March, 2014
What did you do before sensitivity control came along?
Kross-ddj 10:02 PM - 3 March, 2014
Quote:
What did you do before sensitivity control came along?

The pioneer DDJ-SX and the SZ are the first units I have used that use capacitive touch on the jog wheels???? So before sensitivity control came along, the jog wheels were pressure controlled?
deejdave 12:00 AM - 4 March, 2014
Yeah but then again Phones are capacitive touch and they don't have sensitivity controls........................ errrr if they do I have not used them. I would have to say adjust (yourself) accordingly and carry on.
dj-freestyle 4:28 PM - 4 March, 2014
Have you used a ddj-sx? i have a lot and it sucked from facotry. try mixing with a lag when you let go of track. good luck getting on beat when you drop it so to say carry on is just ignorant.
dj-freestyle 5:43 PM - 4 March, 2014
and this is what i was afraid of. from a ddj-sz user

Kross-ddj10:35 AM - 4 March, 2014
Been investigating this problem for a few days now.... When touching the jog wheel on the SZ with a finger tip or lightly with 3 or 4 fingers it does not respond.... It seems also that the jog wheels only detects the initial touch and once the jog wheel starts moving then no matter how much more of you hand you put on it does not respond until you remove you hand and put it back on..... I used to have a SX which had sensitivity controls but I am confused as to why Pioneer have decided that this 'PREMIUM' controller doesn't need them?... I understand that the jog wheels need to be protected against accidental touches which could be a disaster when playing live, but there is a very fine line between safety and performance.
I have contacted Pioneer DJ in both USA and UK and have told them the problems. There is a new firmware update out for the controller but no fixes included for this.
What I would like to know is:
1. Can this be fixed in a firmware update so that the user can change the sensitivity parameter, this would probably have to be done in an advanced menu.
2. If this is not possible then it needs to be made more responsive in the firmware.
3. Why did Pioneer decide that the SZ didn't need sensitivity adjustment like the SX?.

Here are a couple of videos I have made to show the problem:
youtu.be
youtu.be
Davideon 5:45 PM - 4 March, 2014
best bet is stick to one discussion

serato.com
dj-freestyle 6:01 PM - 4 March, 2014
kind of a huge thing to just over look and for 1700 bucks or more you owuld expect more from pioneer. sucks.
Davideon 7:06 PM - 4 March, 2014
It's potential issues like this why Ive held back on ordering mine.

It doesn't sound good though.
dj-freestyle 7:11 PM - 4 March, 2014
Ya hopefully they can do a firmware to fix. im sure they can and maybe make that tension adjust when hittign shift a sensativity adjust. just a thought. the guide from serato is misleading. they show it as sensatviity conrol witch its tension really.
1:19 AM, 5 Mar 2014
Discussion moved to Serato DJ General Discussion
akakak 1:20 AM - 5 March, 2014
Thanks for letting us know!

A few more questions… :)

The DDJ-SX didn't have enough room to get the legs of a laptop stand underneath it, which was irritating because the DDJ-S1 could fit an entire laptop keyboard underneath. The SX would kind of sit on the legs of the stand and that always felt a bit crappy. Does the SZ have legs to raise it up a little bit?

Is the crossfader good enough to not need an Innofader replacement? Are you happy with the factory supplied one?

Do the pots come off easily, so that you can replace them with chroma caps?

Aside from the sensitivity, are you missing anything else? Are there any nice little touches we might not know about?

I really appreciate you sharing your early thoughts with us. Thanks!
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:30 AM - 5 March, 2014
Hey Kross-ddj,

Thanks for getting touch. I see you have questions in another thread which we can help with. This seems more like a general discussion and vibes on the new DDJ-SZ. I'll help you out in your other threads and move this one to Serato DJ vernal discussion. If you other guys need any help feel free to create a help thread too. This thread could also benefit other users in the general discussion.

Regards
Dave W
deejdave 2:08 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Have you used a ddj-sx? i have a lot and it sucked from facotry. try mixing with a lag when you let go of track. good luck getting on beat when you drop it so to say carry on is just ignorant.

I have and to be honest I can work (well) with it with the sensitivity at any setting. This obviously varies with temperature, sweat, etc but I am just hopeful it is the setting I need. Not willing to write it off just yet. This would not be the first thing many people have issues with that I was not just able to cope with but not be bothered at all................... I'll know in a few days.
North-Rider 2:10 AM - 5 March, 2014
Hey deejdave have to talk to your dealer see when expect them in.
DJ Kerr-S 2:54 AM - 5 March, 2014
I saw the video and that is really weird that it's not that responsive. I really want the SZ but that's a huge factor in my decision as I'm a turntable guy. I really hope pioneer somehow fixes this issue ASAP so I can be more persuaded into buying one without worrying. Did Pioneer ever get back to you about this? I'd call them direct and see what they have to say about it. Keep us posted on the situation.
deejdave 2:57 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Hey deejdave have to talk to your dealer see when expect them in.

He said the 15th as of two days ago. I'll check up again tomorrow.
shadow23 6:43 AM - 5 March, 2014
Congrats! I'm so jealous! I wonder if the jogwheel sensitivity can be adjusted like the DDJ-SR?

On a different subject I'm surprised that the store I ordered mine from said I was the first one to order and pay for it. Hmmm that's very weird.
DJ Trice 8:14 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
and this is what i was afraid of. from a ddj-sz user

Kross-ddj10:35 AM - 4 March, 2014

Been investigating this problem for a few days now.... When touching the jog wheel on the SZ with a finger tip or lightly with 3 or 4 fingers it does not respond.... It seems also that the jog wheels only detects the initial touch and once the jog wheel starts moving then no matter how much more of you hand you put on it does not respond until you remove you hand and put it back on.....

+ 1 exactly the same for me (we have to open a thread on Pioneer DJ forum too)
DjCity 6:02 PM - 5 March, 2014
I Jane one on pre order so I can't speak from personal experience.

Just went to pioneer forum and saw no posts about this issue.

Could the people that have their unit already and have this issue please go to pioneer forum and start posting about it.
dj-freestyle 6:35 PM - 5 March, 2014
if you watch that video from the guy who does a great explanation you can see him let go of deck and it lags a second so its a factory setting. they need to make the knob that adjust the pressure of the jog also do sesatvity when you hit shift maybe. seems like a firmare update could do that or like ns6 its adjsut when you first turn it on to your fingers.
DjCity 8:43 PM - 5 March, 2014
The guy said in the comments on that youtube video that there are NO lag issues. It's just the delay from the youtube recording that we are seeing. NOT a DDJ SZ lag.

The sensitivity issue is the one we need to be concerned about.
deejdave 10:36 PM - 5 March, 2014
Yeah I saw that comment too. He attacked that issue before anyone got the wrong idea.
DevonMTL 12:33 AM - 6 March, 2014
i think this video explain all.
Watchwww.youtube.com
deejdave 12:50 AM - 6 March, 2014
Not that I was worried at all before but that is certainly reassuring. It is way too early too make any judgements especielly when you haven't gotten your own hands on a unit. As mentioned there are too many variables and even when considering the DDJ-SX's adjustable sensitivity at certain settings it seems to work for all. Adjusting is nice ..................... for some. I do however wish I could have the knobs stay where they are. Whenever I clean the unit (which is pretty often) I move them slightly.
DJ Kerr-S 1:37 AM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
i think this video explain all.
Watchwww.youtube.com

I saw that video the other day and was thinking Kross-ddj should message that guy and see if he had any problems with it.
DjCity 2:36 AM - 6 March, 2014
Here is another vid.

www.youtube.com
Ragman 3:16 AM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Here is another vid.

www.youtube.com

Good review video and his turntablism video on the SZ is good also ...
Davideon 9:20 AM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Here is another vid.

www.youtube.com

Good review video and his turntablism video on the SZ is good also ...

That definitely makes krossdjs unit look like his is defective
Joee 2:28 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
The one thing that does annoy me is the touch sensitivity on the jog wheels, while pioneer have added the much welcomed jog feeling adjust which is nice to have, they have taken away the

is everyone sure that it has no touch sensitivity adjustment?

the ddj sr has no physical switch to adjust the sensitivity, but you can adjust it by holding down a series of buttons!
Joee 2:34 PM - 6 March, 2014
check page 25 try to adjust and see if it helps with touch sensitivity
pioneerdj.com
akakak 2:41 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
pioneerdj.com

This page of the manual is about the pads, not about the platters.
Joee 2:45 PM - 6 March, 2014
look again, page 25 talks about the jog/midi send, on the top right
akakak 2:50 PM - 6 March, 2014
Ah, apologies, you're quite right.
DJ Trice 3:05 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

pioneerdj.com

This page of the manual is about the pads, not about the platters.

this section talk about the latence of the jogs (or if you want, number of midi informations sended from the ddj sz) but nit about jog sensitivity.
akakak 3:24 PM - 6 March, 2014
It's possible though that the computer may have trouble keeping up?
DJ Trice 3:30 PM - 6 March, 2014
No, really don't think. It's strickly a harware issue.
DjCity 3:35 PM - 6 March, 2014
Damn.

I was hoping that was a fix.

We wait for Pioneer to first admit the is a problem then work out a fix.

I encourage everyone to hit Pioneer up about this. Post on their forum, call, email.
They need to be aware of the problem and know is not just one or two people having this issue.

bombard them!

The wait beings.
damehype 5:23 PM - 6 March, 2014
Well it does state "Depending on your computer's operating system and specifications, the Jog dial may not operate properly if the sending interval of MIDI message for Jog dial is too short." If this is the fix for his and other's problem, it gives even more support for why you should always read the manual...
dj-freestyle 5:28 PM - 6 March, 2014
The guys who them have tried and its doesnt fix it. Its seperate from touch issues.
shadow23 5:28 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
bombard them!

I just sent an email to Pioneer USA and Australia. So hopefully they do something about it.
DjCity 5:32 PM - 6 March, 2014
I Will be hitting them up as soon as mine arrives if it has this problem.

What are the cup specs of the people with this issue?
DjCity 5:36 PM - 6 March, 2014
Kross and Trice...

What are your cup specs?

Just trying to narrow the issue down and eliminate the possibility of computer being the issue.
damehype 5:36 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
The guys who them have tried and its doesnt fix it. Its seperate from touch issues.

Tried what? Tried what's stated on page 25? I haven't seen anyone report back yet on whether this works or not
DjCity 5:38 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Tried what? Tried what's stated on page 25? I haven't seen anyone report back yet on whether this works or not

It's in another thread.
dj-freestyle 5:38 PM - 6 March, 2014
Look on forum guys have tried and it did nothing
damehype 5:40 PM - 6 March, 2014
Gotcha
dj-freestyle 5:42 PM - 6 March, 2014
trust me i was hoping. im really bummed they put sensativity controls. seems so basic. i think they were trying to not have the issues they had with ddj-sx complaints and stuff but this made it worse i think. why not just make like ns6 where it adjust when you turn it on and touch them. seems like a no brianer. im so lost why they screwed this up
DJ Trice 6:07 PM - 6 March, 2014
M'y specs.
mbp mid 2009 core 2 duo, 2.52 ghz, 8 go of ram, mavericks 9.2. Hdd 500 go 7200 rpm.

same issue with pc lenovo t410, i5 processor on win 7 32bits
DjCity 6:09 PM - 6 March, 2014
Thanks Trice.
Hope Kross posts his specs too.

It will give us a reference point.
Kross-ddj 6:30 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Thanks Trice.
Hope Kross posts his specs too.

It will give us a reference point.

I very much doubt the specs have anything to do with it, like I said, serato doesn't even have to be running for the white circle in the middle of the jog wheel to illuminate when a touch is detected.... In response to the beat juggling videos, the guy is using the flats of his fingers and not the very tips... The jogs detect the flats of any fingers 100% (unless the touch is very gentle or if it's the very tip of 1 finger, the problem is that if it is touched by 1 finger tip slightly before the rest of the fingers and the jog moves, then no matter how many more fingers touch it, it is unresponsive until the hand is removed and put back on... Don't get me wrong, I could post a video and it will be 100% responsive because I know which bit of the fingers it detects..... But when I scratch I don't always keep my fingers flat, I sometimes bring the jog back with a finger TIP...
Anyway my specs are here anyway:
Windows 7 ultimate SP1 64bit
Intel i5 2500k 3.6ghz
8gb ram

Imagine playing live and when adjusting the pitch bend (side of jog) a finger tip touches the top, the music will stop for a split second and any mix will be knocked out of sync... I can sort of see why they have set it where it's at for safety, but there is a very fine line!!
shadow23 7:28 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:

Intel i5 2500k 3.6ghz
8gb ram

Imagine playing live and when adjusting the pitch bend (side of jog) a finger tip touches the top, the music will stop for a split second and any mix will be knocked out of sync... I can sort of see why they have set it where it's at for safety, but there is a very fine line!!

Sorry a very stupid question and if I get pounded for asking this. I know minimum specs for SDJ is 4GB RAM. I just bought a laptop and planning to upgrade to 8GB or should I go for 16GB? Would 16GB have a big increase in performance?
The laptop is mainly for DJing not gonna install anything else.

Sorry Kross-ddj.
Kross-ddj 8:22 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Intel i5 2500k 3.6ghz
8gb ram

Sorry a very stupid question and if I get pounded for asking this. I know minimum specs for SDJ is 4GB RAM. I just bought a laptop and planning to upgrade to 8GB or should I go for 16GB? Would 16GB have a big increase in performance?
The laptop is mainly for DJing not gonna install anything else.

Sorry Kross-ddj.

Ram is used to store open programs so the CPU can access them quicker, because the processor runs much faster than it could transfer the data from a hard drive.... So the amount of ram you have is only an advantage when running more than one program... I would say as long as you have 8gb then the main factor for Serato is the CPU !!
Robbie O 8:38 PM - 6 March, 2014
Im in the same boat (current at 4 GB). I was going to to 8GBs, but then I checked the prices, and I not sure whats changed in the world but 2x8GBs stick aren't that much more expensive. Im gonna go hard now so I dont revisit this until I actually get a new MBP in 3-4 yrs
Kross-ddj 8:44 PM - 6 March, 2014
If anyone has any questions regarding the jog wheel sensitivity problem on the SZ, please post here:

serato.com
dj-freestyle 8:51 PM - 6 March, 2014
Youv been a huge help kross-ddj and i would hope sesativity adjustements would be a firmware update. i pray.
Kross-ddj 8:57 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Youv been a huge help kross-ddj and i would hope sesativity adjustements would be a firmware update. i pray.

Thanks, I hope so too, or I think someone at Pioneer may be out of a job....
dj-freestyle 9:07 PM - 6 March, 2014
ya that wont happen. nobody lost job over issues with sx and there was more and worse.
Kross-ddj 9:14 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
ya that wont happen. nobody lost job over issues with sx and there was more and worse.

I had my SX for a year and never really noticed any bugs, although I never used the mic...... I just don't understand (and I keep on saying it) why they had the sensitivity controls on the SX, but then removed them on the SZ?????? The first thing I did when I turned my SZ on was look for the sensitivity controls!!!
dj-freestyle 9:33 PM - 6 March, 2014
ya i would have to. so strange.
Davideon 10:09 PM - 6 March, 2014
I have to ask this: what did you used to do on tts if finger tip sensitivity is such an issue?
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:41 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
I have to ask this: what did you used to do on tts if finger tip sensitivity is such an issue?

Lol you didnt really just ask that!
shadow23 2:10 AM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
Ram is used to store open programs so the CPU can access them quicker, because the processor runs much faster than it could transfer the data from a hard drive.... So the amount of ram you have is only an advantage when running more than one program... I would say as long as you have 8gb then the main factor for Serato is the CPU !!

Thank you Kross-ddj!
Kross-ddj 9:25 AM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:

I'm sure if I put a finger tip on a record it would stop!
pdidy 11:40 AM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yes he did....that question nearly crashed my memory banks. LOL
nik39 1:30 PM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
The DDJ-SX faders, EQ's & filter knobs are absolutely not done through the software. If this were the case it would not be possible to control these parameters when connecting an external source. You can use the SX's mixer section without even having the software on remember?????

deejdave, this is unfortunately not correct.

The DDJ SX Faders+EQ are done in software if you are playing from software.

Remember: The SX is a USB 1.1 device. There is not enough b/w for streaming all the channels to the mixer. From what I know only the Master signal (and headphone cue) will be streamed from the laptop to the mixer.
benictrs 4:10 PM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Remember: The SX is a USB 1.1 device. There is not enough b/w for streaming all the channels to the mixer. From what I know only the Master signal (and headphone cue) will be streamed from the laptop to the mixer.

since when is the sx usb1.1 ??? in the manual it states on page 6 that "you need usb2.0 to connect your computer with the unit"
nik39 4:15 PM - 7 March, 2014
serato.com

serato.com

Even deejdave said it here
serato.com

;)
dj-freestyle 4:56 PM - 7 March, 2014
yes its 1.1 usb.
Davideon 7:13 PM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure if I put a finger tip on a record it would stop!

It looked like you were touching it with the tip (tip of the fail style) with NO PRESSURE. If you are putting decent pressure down then I take that comment back
Davideon 7:13 PM - 7 March, 2014
*tip of the nail
Davideon 8:06 PM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oi, Elvis. Finger tips ( and by that we all mean the pads of the fingers) seemingly work fine, but the very ends do not on the sz.

Break out your tts, then stop the vinyl with your finger nail (as is krossdjs issue). Bully for you if you can, but when do you ever control a deck like that?
Kross-ddj 10:12 PM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oi, Elvis. Finger tips ( and by that we all mean the pads of the fingers) seemingly work fine, but the very ends do not on the sz.

Break out your tts, then stop the vinyl with your finger nail (as is krossdjs issue). Bully for you if you can, but when do you ever control a deck like that?

My nail never touches, it's the tip of the finger, and I never do it like I do in the video, this is just an example, if you touch the jog with the 'pads' of 3 or 4 fingers at speed, but during this motion the tip of 1 of your fingers touches the jog first, then it's a non response!!! Until you try it yourself you will not understand.... Who controls a jog wheel with there hand perfectly straight??? , the fingers naturally bend, and often the tips touch first before the hand flattens out... And you would have thought that even if it doesn't respond to the finger tip, once the rest of the tips touch and the hand flattens out it will then respond... But it doesn't.... You can see in my videos that I put 1 finger tip on then follow with the rest and flatten my hand out in slow motion.
I can imagine that people have the SZ on order and want to put it down to my technique, but I can assure you this is a real problem!!!!
Davideon 10:15 PM - 7 March, 2014
Ok, now I'm with you. That makes a lot more sense. Will definitely wait til this issue is resolved before buying mine
Joee 10:21 PM - 7 March, 2014
one thing i'm NOT liking the looks of with the ddj sz..

is the magnetic fader......if you click it you get the drop down menu that shows a picture of it..

it looks like there are plastic gears, those Will wear out
pioneerdj.com
deejdave 10:32 PM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Wait what? The fact that this is a USB 1.1 device would support the fact that this would be done via hardware not software. The DDJ-SX ABSOLUTELY lets you use the EQ's & filter without it connected to the laptop. I just did it to confirm but as I was doing it I said to myself "why did I even do this" when i knew already.

Here it says "No - the hardware is "audio first" because audio signal passes through it. You can't disable the EQs in order to use them as MIDI control."

forums.pioneerdj.com

Flat out says the filter is a proper hardware based filter on this one.

www.digitaldjtips.com

"Each channel on the mixer comes equipped with the ‘one knob filter’ found on many of Pioneers mixers which is SOFTWARE INDEPENDENT and will work on external input sources as well as Serato’s virtual channels."

www.djmag.com

Four Channel Mixer

And here comes the most blunt one

The DDJ-SX features an independent 4-channel mixer that can be used with external sources. The filters and EQ are all HARDWARE BASED, so you can mix in and out of any audio source.

store.djtechtools.com
dj-freestyle 12:01 AM - 8 March, 2014
Ya that is true for sure but maybe when connected to ddj-sx its done through software ?
Mr. Goodkat 12:36 AM - 8 March, 2014
first gen technology. it stings.
deejdave 4:35 AM - 8 March, 2014
Quote:
Ya that is true for sure but maybe when connected to ddj-sx its done through software ?

I was answering the external source aspect of it. Leading off the comments prior to mine. As in using the controller as a standalone mixer.
nik39 12:18 AM - 9 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wait what? The fact that this is a USB 1.1 device would support the fact that this would be done via hardware not software. The DDJ-SX ABSOLUTELY lets you use the EQ's & filter without it connected to the laptop. I just did it to confirm but as I was doing it I said to myself "why did I even do this" when i knew already.

Here it says "No - the hardware is "audio first" because audio signal passes through it. You can't disable the EQs in order to use them as MIDI control."

forums.pioneerdj.com

Flat out says the filter is a proper hardware based filter on this one.

www.digitaldjtips.com

"Each channel on the mixer comes equipped with the ‘one knob filter’ found on many of Pioneers mixers which is SOFTWARE INDEPENDENT and will work on external input sources as well as Serato’s virtual channels."

www.djmag.com

Four Channel Mixer

And here comes the most blunt one

The DDJ-SX features an independent 4-channel mixer that can be used with external sources. The filters and EQ are all HARDWARE BASED, so you can mix in and out of any audio source.

store.djtechtools.com

You're twisting my words around.

I never said you could not mix with external sources. Of course you can. Those external sources will also be affected by the eqs and filters but those external sources will NOT be affected by different eq settings inside the software.

Fact is: it is USB 1.1. And this fact is a bug indication that the mix down (of all channels) happens in software and then gets sent down to the sx. How else would you stream all these audio channels from the software to to the sx?
deejdave 2:43 AM - 9 March, 2014
I won't argue with that but then again i was never speaking about that as I was replying to some of the comments such as:

Quote:
I think that the fader/EQ are hardware, even with the SX, none of these functions are software...... I use channel 4 as a line in from my PC and I can use the crossfader/faders/EQ knobs so it must be hardware

and now see there was a whole mish-mosh of questions/comments going in every direction now.
southphillydjdino 3:47 AM - 26 March, 2014
I have had the SZ for a week now and I am returning it. Everything is pretty dope on this but the platters are a big problem for me. Something about SZ platters differs from the SX/SR and I can't exactly put my finger on it (no pun intended)!

You really have to press your finger on the inside of the platter (not around the edges either) for the software to recognize it. If you take your finger off of the platter for a split second you already lost your sound...this is a problem when I scratch because I am used to the feel of a turn table.

I also had several software dropouts with the SZ in the 1.6.1, just the SZ! I have also owned an SX and currently own an SR as well so I just want to be comparing apples to apples with this. As dope as this product is, I feel that it is not ready yet. Firmware updates won't change these platters either.

That said, Pioneer/Serato are on the right track because the mixer on this unit is unreal!
DJDynasty 3:49 AM - 29 March, 2014
Quote:
I'm curious about the sz in relation to how the actual mixing takes place. With the previous ddj's, the fader blends/eq are through software internally. Meaning the eq and faders are just acting as midi and the software is actually performing the sound processing (eq,fades,etc.).

I'm wondering if the ddjsz sends the deck player output independently to the mixer channels and the fader and eq's are processed through the mixer hardware.

Anyone know the answer?

I have the SZ and I am pretty sure it sends the output directly to the mixer channels as if it was a standalone mixer. The big drawback with that is now the Serato DJ effects are not post fader (notably echo) with the SZ. The Mixer Coller Effects have an echo in it so to echo out post fader you have to use that.
damehype 4:14 AM - 31 March, 2014
Yeah but they are only post fader on the line faders, not the crossfader. Sucks. Hopefully a firmware update can fix that
deejdave 10:31 PM - 31 March, 2014
I would assume this is how it is wired. Kind of the same concept as adding DVS to a controller that wasn't designed for it via firmware.
damehype 10:55 PM - 31 March, 2014
Post fader is post fader. Makes no sense for it only to be hardware post fader on the line faders and not the crossfader. Hopefully it's a minor issue that firmware update can fix.
ILLZ 9:56 PM - 1 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone know the answer?

I have the SZ and I am pretty sure it sends the output directly to the mixer channels as if it was a standalone mixer. The big drawback with that is now the Serato DJ effects are not post fader (notably echo) with the SZ. The Mixer Coller Effects have an echo in it so to echo out post fader you have to use that.

I just got my SZ, thank god no platter issues, but this no post fader effect thing is killing me. Hopefully this gets resolved, I got so used to it with the SX also love adding a bit of echo to my cuts and it sucks not having that option on this controller right now.
ryeski 10:49 PM - 1 April, 2014
Had a SZ for a week and have played 3 gigs with it, one being an 8 hour marathon. it sounds great and all the functions on it have been awesome. No hassles with the sensitivity issues some others are describing. I have also plugged in my turntable DVS and it runs as it should. A bit annoying with the post fader effects but I will just work around that. The build quality seems excellent and on par with other quality Pioneer products. I am having a ball with this unit. Software and firmware loaded as it should as well. I have a 2010 macbook pro with 4 gig ram 2.3 ghz processor and play a lot of tracks from an external drive. Just my 2 cents.
ILLZ 2:14 AM - 2 April, 2014
spoke too soon.. Platters are f'd. More on right side than left.
shadow23 8:00 AM - 2 April, 2014
My first impression was AWESOME until I plugged it in and started using the jog wheel. Even with the 2nd SZ I had a different issue. Pioneer has lost its way.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:57 PM - 2 April, 2014
All I can do is.....

LOL
shadow23 6:10 PM - 2 April, 2014
Quote:
All I can do is.....

LOL

Numark is probably sitting back and doing the same thing after seeing the issues with the SZ.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 6:13 PM - 2 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
All I can do is.....

LOL

Numark is probably sitting back and doing the same thing after seeing the issues with the SZ.

I wonder....... who is getting fired..........
shadow23 6:15 PM - 2 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All I can do is.....

LOL

I wonder....... who is getting fired..........

LMAO!
DjCity 7:33 PM - 2 April, 2014
It's the customers that are getting fired.

Getting fired up and fed up with this crap.
shadow23 7:37 PM - 2 April, 2014
Quote:
It's the customers that are getting fired.

Getting fired up and fed up with this crap.

I sure am fed up with it. So many hassles and issues when all you want to do is take it home and enjoy your music without any problems.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:08 PM - 2 April, 2014
So..... about their Pioneer Turntable coming up..........

Let me guess....... Metal Touch Sensitive Platter huh??? The prototype was just a "concept"
djmacklong 3:02 AM - 3 April, 2014
^^^Technics all day. Don't bother with anything else.
djmacklong 3:02 AM - 3 April, 2014
^^^Technics all day. Don't bother with anything else...obviously.
DjCity 3:39 AM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:

I dunno....

I have my MK2's and my MK5'S but them reloops so far are the truth.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 3:45 AM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I dunno....

I have my MK2's and my MK5'S but them reloops so far are the truth.

This.....

:-)
djmacklong 3:52 AM - 3 April, 2014
Meh.
audiomontana 4:43 AM - 3 April, 2014
I posted else where on my platter issues -- just found this thread. SZ platters are a dissappointment -- YUCK -- There is no consistant response from them. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt -- finger tip sometimes flat of finger sometimes -- finger tip works -- rewind for a bit and then it falls off. This is an extreme dissappointment after waiting for several months and returning my other DDJSX --

Plus the Airhorn … UHM the Airhorn.. they have included and Airhorn .. Uhm its an airhorn… and even the toylike airhorn.. IS CRAP it crackles and sputters worse than a 1990 Gemini, radioshack mixer.

I am very dissappointed, to say the least -- $2000 -- I could have bought a decent used car with this money. and while Im on the subject of cars -- uhm ok I wont go into my bad review of the 2013 vw sportswagon stereo system, that I returned along with the junk that it was attached to after 20k miles. CRAP -- there is so little quality development going on in any industry now.

I hope this gets resolved with flying colors in the next 10 days. There should be improvements in the firmware so touch sensativity can be adjusted the post fader/ pre fader effex possability.. etc. for 2k there should be very useful and liquid user definition involved.

And the airhorn … uhm SOUND EFX should be user configurable sounds that can be chaged to other deemabley useful sounds . Like Beep, an alvin and the Chipmunks chorus, burp/fart, car crash, and the last laugh from thriller are all favorites of mine.

Replaceable crossfader. … Yep -- and the Feet -- those are easy -- User may add Adhesive backed rubber feet.
shadow23 6:12 AM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
I posted else where on my platter issues -- just found this thread. SZ platters are a dissappointment -- YUCK -- There is no consistant response from them. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt -- finger tip sometimes flat of finger sometimes -- finger tip works -- rewind for a bit and then it falls off. This is an extreme dissappointment

I cannot agree more. Whoever was responsible for quality control (which look like it was done by a bunch 12 year olds) shouldn't be working at Pioneer anymore.
Now every time the DDJ-SZ pops in my head all I can relate with that model is one big FLOP! I know there are good ones out there. But there far more bad ones than it should. Not saying there are more bad ones. Just saying there are too many bad ones that has been sold to customers.
They should rename the model to DDJ-FLOP-Z. Tomorrow I'm gonna try the last SZ I'm ever gonna put my hands on. Going to drive down to Sydney and test this SZ that was apparently been brought by the Pioneer rep himself and has been tested. They reckon it is 100% in working order. I'm gonna test it out in the store and see if it has any issues.
djkurve 6:30 AM - 3 April, 2014
What's the word on the cases/bags for this controller?
djmacklong 7:26 AM - 3 April, 2014
There are a couple shown in this thread. Odyssey will have one available soon as well.

serato.com
ILLZ 1:21 PM - 3 April, 2014
returning mine. This is complete BS. Trying to mix when the platters act up is impossible. ALSO how can you not have post fader effects on this so called "flagship" unit but on the SX?

ALSO, I updated the firmware and now the crossfader doesn't work!!! This happen to anyone else?? $2000!!!!! WTF
ILLZ 1:30 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
I there is so little quality development going on in any industry now.

it's all about profit and "growth" and quality/building products that last are a thing of the past. It's all about numbers and how many units they can sell. Holding back certain technology in order to make previous technology obsolete so consumers are forced to....consume.

SMH. I'm so bitter about the issues with this controller man, I was looking so forward to it. Had a buyer for my SX for a good price now i'm hoping he can hang on until I figure out what to do.
dj-freestyle 7:00 PM - 3 April, 2014
They so many issues with sx in beginning and people said all the same shit and then it got fixed and everybody got one and nobody got fired so I'm sure same thing with this. When they fix issues it will sell like mad again just like sx
shadow23 7:02 PM - 3 April, 2014
Pity though because the ones that stayed away from the SX/SZ is Pioneer's lose in sales.
dj-freestyle 7:03 PM - 3 April, 2014
They must figure we are the beta testers. lol lol
shadow23 7:12 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
They must figure we are the beta testers. lol lol

Yes you're right I reckon. I had a phone call last night form a Pioneer rep in Australia at around 8pm. Now he is really nice guy. And he said that my unit (1st SZ I had) has been sent back to Japan for investigation.
Mr. Goodkat 7:21 PM - 3 April, 2014
my decision of getting a DJM 900 or DDJ SZ was based soley on the fact that the djm had been a proven mixer for a couple years and the SZ was bound to have a few problems. looks like its only a problem for 10-20% but knowing my luck i would have been one of those 10-20%.
djmacklong 7:53 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
. looks like its only a problem for 10-20%

Really? It seems to me like it's only 10%-20% that *aren't* having problems.
shadow23 7:55 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+1 I can relate to that.
Robbie O 8:19 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Nah he's probably right, ppl whose product works as expected normal don't feel the need to come on these forums and proclaim their love for the device. Silence 50% of the times means either no sales or bare minimum expectations are met. Fwiw there are prob many happy customers, but even 10-20% failure rate is unacceptable.
DjCity 8:47 PM - 3 April, 2014
I was just at guitar ctr and tested their store demo.

Same damn problem!

I think it's an individual's style of mixing that determines if this is a problem for them or not.

I DJ with the tip of my finger. Not the bare tip but what you see in my video is pretty much how I grab the platter or record. I don't use my whole hand. I done hold my hand flat.

For us it's a major show stopping problem!

I think some people that have not seen the problem may not see it because of their style but I believe ALL the SZ'S have a problem and I truly think it's a hardware problem.

EDM, House and Techno dj's may not ever see this problem because they spin very differently from Hip Hop R&B dj's who have to touch and manipulate the actual player much more.
If you mostly push play and turn knobs, you might miss the issue altogether. If you depend on platter manipulation, the issue is quite apparent and makes the SZ unusable.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 8:59 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
I was just at guitar ctr and tested their store demo.

Same damn problem!

I think it's an individual's style of mixing that determines if this is a problem for them or not.

I DJ with the tip of my finger. Not the bare tip but what you see in my video is pretty much how I grab the platter or record. I don't use my whole hand. I done hold my hand flat.

For us it's a major show stopping problem!

I think some people that have not seen the problem may not see it because of their style but I believe ALL the SZ'S have a problem and I truly think it's a hardware problem.

EDM, House and Techno dj's may not ever see this problem because they spin very differently from Hip Hop R&B dj's who have to touch and manipulate the actual player much more.
If you mostly push play and turn knobs, you might miss the issue altogether. If you depend on platter manipulation, the issue is quite apparent and makes the SZ unusable.

Reminds me of when I played on this dudes NS7II the other day....

I got on it and I was like.......

ME: Did you even screw in you platters???

DUDE: My what???

ME: Where the &*(K are the slipmatts?

DUDE: What???

ME: How are you even a....... Never mind....

Went and played without the platters that night.....
shadow23 9:31 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nah he's probably right, ppl whose product works as expected normal don't feel the need to come on these forums and proclaim their love for the device. Silence 50% of the times means either no sales or bare minimum expectations are met. Fwiw there are prob many happy customers, but even 10-20% failure rate is unacceptable.

We all can't be sure what percentage it is because there are others with the issue that doesn't come to this forum and post their issue. But it feels like more than 20% of SZ units have issues. It feels that way but may actually be a lot less.
akakak 9:32 PM - 3 April, 2014
Even 10% would be insane
shadow23 9:33 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Even 10% would be insane

Yeah I totally agree.
DjCity 9:44 PM - 3 April, 2014
Not to sound self serving and I'm sure you will all agree...

Even if "I" were the ONLY one with these issues. Even if "MY" unit was the only one that was fucked up,
It would be insane.

(Insert yourself into the "I" and "MY" category).
shadow23 9:52 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Not to sound self serving and I'm sure you will all agree...

Even if "I" were the ONLY one with these issues. Even if "MY" unit was the only one that was fucked up,
It would be insane.

(Insert yourself into the "I" and "MY" category).

I'm pretty sure nearly everyone looks at me as a bitter use to be SZ owner because all of my complaints. But I can't help it if my SZ was faulty.
akakak 9:53 PM - 3 April, 2014
If just one person had a problem that would be unfortunate, not insane.
Mr Wilks 9:58 PM - 3 April, 2014
I will guess that a high percentage of high-end DJs that are Serato users are going to be forum members too so I'd guess anyone who has bought an SZ will most probably a forum user and would post on here either before, or after buying. I know I'd post just to say I have one.

I can see not all SZ owners would be here but I would guess we'd see a high proportion of them as they get to grips with the latest and as it's not like you're picking up a cheap Mixtrack for a bedroom... this thing is gonna be a well researched bit of kit by knowledgeable people and puts it in the "pro" DJ category.

I think we will be seeing a pretty high reflection of ownership on here as more get sold so it's good to see the feedback. I've been following this from the first post and have been very interested from the start.
DjCity 10:00 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
If just one person had a problem that would be unfortunate, not insane.

It would be insane for THAT person at 2stacks for these kind of problems.
djmacklong 10:03 PM - 3 April, 2014
I specifically know of 3 people (including myself) in the Seattle area that have an SZ now, and 2 of us have this issue. Thats 66%. Just saying.
shadow23 10:16 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
I specifically know of 3 people (including myself) in the Seattle area that have an SZ now, and 2 of us have this issue. Thats 66%. Just saying.

For me since I've had 2 that have issues is more like 100%
DjCity 10:21 PM - 3 April, 2014
I'm at 50% failure rate so far.
If the next one is bad, that's 100% failure rate for the SZ.
Not to mention the one at Guitar Ctr with the same problem.

Looking kinda bad right now.
deejdave 10:28 PM - 3 April, 2014
There is DEFINITELY no way to tell what the percentage is of infected units but there are other variables to remember as well. The largest being if you have a perfectly working unit the odds are you won't be heading to the forums to thank anyone BUT if your unit is having issues there will be flames leading to your laptop you signed on so fast!!!

Most people getting controller DON'T get them to scratch. It's just not what they are made for. I know it can be done and certainly it's fun to do a little BUT if I am going to scratch I don't want to emulate anything. Numark NS7II & Denon like to come close as they can while it seems Pioneer (although they have their own issues right now) feels why TRY to be something you are not. If you build a CDJ make it function like a CDJ. You build a controller make it work like a controller. If I want a turntable I use my tech's. SO that being said the majority of people buying these DON'T scratch so wouldn't really even consider it an issue anyways.

There are also many (yes even on the forums) who are not having issues. There is one individual on here who purchased three alone and is not having a single issue. I know for a fact I am not having an issue although I CAN duplicate the issue if I try.

There is also the factor the the manner in which you duplicate this issue is an unrealistic movement (in many cases) as I would NEVER attempt to manipulate the platter with the tip of my ONE finger.

In the end I am not making excuses for anyone and as mentioned before even 10-20% which I would guess is closer to the actual than 10-20% working (LMAO BTW) is unacceptable but let's see what they do about it. For the most part I have seen the same users (who are VERY vocal) repeating the same posts about the same problem so it gets a little overwhelming. I am willing to give it time. The price is high for a controller BUT for what it offers (when it works 100%) it is well worth it. Not to mention it was a fraction of the cost of my main rigs so I'll cut it some slack. If ANY piece of my main rig acted in this manner I'd be furious but this was peanuts compared to them so slack will be given.

Even still let's hope for a quick & FULL recovery. Maybe even a little compensation for our troubles............ HINT HINT!!

Quote:
Quote:

For me since I've had 2 that have issues is more like 100%

I and 5 others I know one of whom ordered 3 himself (not the same dude on the forums here as I mean know personally) and none of us have these issues. I have messed around with 2 of them myself and can verify this but the others who knows if they even know what the issue is as they are new DJ's. The crazy thing is the five of us who each bought only one ALL purchased from same place so I thought it was a batch issue thing. The other purchased locally so obviously good units are reaching all over. The five of us all got March 2014 mfg dates while the dude who purchased three got Feb what does this all mean???????????????? Probably nothing LOL

We could all be making up this info anyways so it is kind of irrelevant anyways
dj-freestyle 10:41 PM - 3 April, 2014
We have 3 with no issues and they are originally produced units so it is very random and no clue how many. i know of 3 guys with them with no issues so its hard to tell.
DjCity 10:45 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
We have 3 with no issues and they are originally produced units so it is very random and no clue how many. i know of 3 guys with them with no issues so its hard to tell.

I would love to see a video of that (no problems).

When I saw the video you posted before, I noticed that you had your finger laid down more than I had mine in my video.

Think you could do another video doing what shadow and I did?
DjCity 10:50 PM - 3 April, 2014
I think it was you that posted the video.
Could you post another video?
deejdave 11:22 PM - 3 April, 2014
Yet we've all seen the videos of the issue where the first thing you say is "DAMN" Pioneer F-ed UP!!!" Then the second immediate thing you say to yourself is "WTF would they touch the platter like that??"

He probably had his finger laid down as that is the way he DJ's. That's the way I learned/was taught so it's not that far fetched. In the performance videos by pretty much any user this is the way they manipulate the platters as well.

Again I a not in denial nor am I making any excuses I have just found in life that if you want there to be / are looking for a problem ......................... there will be / you will find one.
shadow23 11:24 PM - 3 April, 2014
I agree with you deejdave.
Regarding scratching on a controller, turntables wasnot meant for scratching too. Scratching was started by Grand Wizard Theodore if I remember correctly. And it just caught on and DJs started to different stuff and all types of scratching was born.

So controllers it would seem like it's not meant to do just that. But a lot of talented DJs famous or not can do it quite well. Now it's just up to manufactures to to make quality controllers that can rival the turntables. It's getting close though but not there yet. The closest would be the NS7/NS7II
djmacklong 12:38 AM - 4 April, 2014
I'm so baffled at so much of what I just read.

Quote:
I know for a fact I am not having an issue although I CAN duplicate the issue if I try.

This sentence right here says that the unit is not functioning as it should. Just because the issue doesn't affect you, that doesn't mean that the issue doesn't exist.

Quote:

this issue is an unrealistic movement (in many cases) as I would NEVER attempt to manipulate the platter with the tip of my ONE finger.

Again, just because YOU wouldn't do it that way doesn't mean a hundred thousand other DJs wouldn't do that way. I scratch intros and outros a lot when I play, and the majority of the time my fingertips are doing the majority of the work, not the flats.

I may be completely misreading everything that you've written, but you seem to be speaking directly from your own POV rather than looking at the big picture from the POV of all users. You're right in the idea that happy users will likely not be coming here to post if they have no issues, but there is a ridiculously high number of guys that are having problems straight from the jump and they shouldn't be. That's the bottom line.
DjCity 12:42 AM - 4 April, 2014
^This^
deejdave 12:50 AM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
This sentence right here says that the unit is not functioning as it should. Just because the issue doesn't affect you, that doesn't mean that the issue doesn't exist.

Actually the subject in that sentence is a person not a controller. That person happens to be me. If it does not cause a problem for me then there is no issue. That is how that works.

Negate is defined as to deny, to prove false or to cause something to not be needed.

Have I in any way said that this does not exist or did I deny anything?

In terms of going off my personal experience do you think MAYBE that is why I said
Quote:
We could all be making up this info anyways so it is kind of irrelevant anyways

Being I was stating exactly that EVERYONE is going off their own personal experience and when they have an issue and see others they think the whole world is suffering. This is NOT the case. I have already stated we don't know the percentage. I have stated they may or may not fix this. I have stated It doesn't affect me. All of these are facts and the majority of my comments are basically pointing out that no on knows so how am I saying i do?

I mean I literally said "We could all be making up this info anyways so it is kind of irrelevant anyways" meaning nothing I just said matters as I could be making it up anyways. Now that's how that works.
deejdave 12:54 AM - 4 April, 2014
That comment also should go a step further and point out the obvious (should be obvious at least) that the majority of what is being said is based on personal experiences alone which could be made up for all we know. It's personal experiences and what people see on these forums when these forums are frequently used for when things are going wrong as opposed to going right. I don't claim to know any of the statistics and I was simply chiming in to remind that no one else here does know.
djmacklong 1:58 AM - 4 April, 2014
So one person had a random flaw and now we've all just imagined it and projected it onto our own devices somehow? The only reason I even found this thread was because I had this issue right out of the box and wanted to see if it had been reported or if there was suggestion on how to fix it.

Quote:
If it does not cause a problem for me then there is no issue. That is how that works.

That's like saying that the tree that fell in the woods didn't make a sound just because you weren't there to hear it.

The flaw may not affect you, but if you can recreate the problem just as simply as the rest of us, then the flaw still exists. That is how that works.
djmacklong 2:01 AM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:

Have I in any way said that this does not exist or did I deny anything?

I missed this, and it changes the context a bit, so I'll concede this:
Quote:
If it does not cause a problem for me then there is no issue.

Moving on.
deejdave 4:18 AM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
So one person had a random flaw and now we've all just imagined it and projected it onto our own devices somehow? The only reason I even found this thread was because I had this issue right out of the box and wanted to see if it had been reported or if there was suggestion on how to fix it.

Quote:
If it does not cause a problem for me then there is no issue. That is how that works.

That's like saying that the tree that fell in the woods didn't make a sound just because you weren't there to hear it.

The flaw may not affect you, but if you can recreate the problem just as simply as the rest of us, then the flaw still exists. That is how that works.

For me. It is not an issue FOR ME. Who are you to tell me what is or isn't an issue for me?

Let's forget the fact that I have flat out said there IS an issue in multiple posts on multiple threads in multiple forums and have NEVER said it does NOT exist. The fact that I said I can recreate this issue implies that it is an issue to recreate in the first place, no? I mean maybe I am the moron here. Now let's pick apart your words and explore the fact that by saying "the rest of us" you are now implying that everyone has this issue which is not true by any means. Unless the individuals who have said they have no issues are lying as well.

Quote:
There is DEFINITELY no way to tell what the percentage is of infected units but there are other variables to remember as well. The largest being if you have a perfectly working unit the odds are you won't be heading to the forums to thank anyone BUT if your unit is having issues there will be flames leading to your laptop you signed on so fast!!!

Does this sound like the words of someone who thinks there is no issue? That was the first thing I said about it on this thread.
shadow23 5:10 AM - 4 April, 2014
Guys I think there's no point debating who said what. Some SZ has has platter issues period. Doesn't affect everyone? No.

Just settle down and everyone is entitled to say their point. I'm not picking sides here.So take a deep breath and chill. Sorry to sound disrespectful guys. But honestly you guys can go all day about this and it will not resolve anything. Probably just irritated and ruin each others day.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:28 AM - 4 April, 2014
pew pew pew
saintsimon 6:39 AM - 4 April, 2014
I had warped jog wheels.
Other than that... I wish the colors of the platters were black. Personal preference.
shadow23 6:41 AM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
I had warped jog wheels.
Other than that... I wish the colors of the platters were black. Personal preference.

Yes the black jog wheels looks sexy!
A_Jack 7:30 AM - 4 April, 2014
Those that have used both the SZ and Rane 62, how do you compare the sound quality between them?
audiomontana 1:31 PM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:

Very much un true -- The fact is that the Jog wheels do not hold or pickup with any consistantly in vinyl mode and it is impossible to back cue with precision or even hold and release a break on phrase point. These types of Djs are perhaps at even more of a disadvantage because thier use of the scratch or vinyl control has to be spot on when it really counts and if the sensativity doesnt work during that time then they have to repair the groove in headphones without a consistant platter response while the mix goes on outside the headphones with no actualauditory DJing Going on.
DjCity 1:51 PM - 4 April, 2014
True enough I guess.

I was under the impression that is just a matter of cue point, hit play and adjust the tempo to match.

No vinyl mode required.

Maybe I am mistaken.
audiomontana 3:37 PM - 4 April, 2014
Many Djs dont use the Que point stuttering technique to insert into a song. The traditional way is to cue the wave and release as with vinyl.

Such would be the case if you were 'playing without rewinds', or beatjuggling jungle and drum and bass.
DjCity 3:42 PM - 4 April, 2014
Makes sense.

I was mistaken then.
djmacklong 10:27 PM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
Those that have used both the SZ and Rane 62, how do you compare the sound quality between them?

Everything Rane makes sounds better than everything Pioneer makes (IMO). With that stated, I have both, and the 62 wins. It's got a much cleaner sound with crisper highs. Pioneer generally sounds muddy when directly comparing the two.
audiomontana 7:36 PM - 5 April, 2014
After working with this controller for a week, generally messing around with the platter and troubleshoting that and trolling Facebook with Airhorn Videos. Im happy with my purchase but Its probably going back -- I want a Midi controller that performs a little better and contains certain professional features that I can use at my events. This Device would become the standard to Replace CDJs in situations where an artist brings Laptop computer. This type of device would allow for combining with CDJs Turntables and Truley professional Mixing Equipment like the DJM 900 or Xone 92. It would allow for the Laptop Dj to quickly setup and transfer to his/her performance in a professional stage environment.

I would like to have something that is similar to each deck on this controller with advanced sensativity controls and an 8 channel sound card.

The sound card would have DVS input for two decks and output for 2 virtual decks, efx out, and cue/monitor prelisten out via 1/4" Headphone jack. The headphone jack would allow for Quick Prelistening of Opening material for the Djs set and to be used during Duo Sets between two Djs playing on Identicle Devices.

The Device should also have Midi in and Out and User assignable Midi Layer in addition to a properly developed serato layer.

The Device should have 1/2" removable rubber feet (like turntable feet reducing booth vibrations) to raise it off of the performance surface and allow for a standard laptop stand to be inserted under it and protect from liquids.

This Device should be constructed of Aluminum and High Density Materials.

The Device should be identicle in Size to the NEXUS CDJ series so as to utilize Existing
CASING AND ROAD infrastructure.

A professional Piece of Equipment doesnt have to "have it all" just what is necessary for the current creative and traveling population of artists.

AND NO AIRHORN

This device should not have a Touch Screen or Screen-type Visual feedback implements. They are misleading and Lag Inducing on the SZ.
saintsimon 10:18 PM - 5 April, 2014
Quote:
Screen-type Visual feedback implements. They are misleading and Lag Inducing on the SZ.

this is a good point.
can anyone confirm if serato dj is more lagging with the ddj-sz than other controllers because of the coordinated jog wheel display? If this is the case...I hope it is improved on in the future.

***Or better yet... perhaps if someone can check to see if they have serato dj running *without* frame rate drops on the SZ? I notice my pc has lag but the system specs might be ....not ideal. To say the least. Anyone able to chime in?
deejdave 11:53 PM - 5 April, 2014
No lag on any of my laptops. All 4 are MBP's though. Other issues I can duplicate but not lag or crash.
saintsimon 12:00 AM - 6 April, 2014
Thank you deejdave!
djmacklong 12:10 AM - 6 April, 2014
I bought my MBP in September. 16gb ram, SSD, 2.8ghz i7 (turbo boost to 3.2). On my SZ, if my latency is set to 1, I get constant red and yellow USB warnings -- to me, this is RIDICULOUS. If I set it to 2, it's fine.
djmacklong 12:10 AM - 6 April, 2014
and USB 3.0 obviously...
deejdave 12:23 AM - 6 April, 2014
Yeah I get the red light at 1ms as well. Only occasionally but still. Rane & Serato themselves have stated that this will happen no matter what laptop you have. Not even NASA has a computer fast enough. serato.com Zach S from Rane says it on this post.

Doesn't make it right but it IS the way it is. I have a little faster (Turbo boost to 3.7 GHZ) but the difference is minimal and irrelevant. The point is if we aren't able to run at 1 ms a.) there is something wrong and b.) it should NOT be available. It's like gong to a steak house with the steak stored in a safe with no one knowing the combo.
DJ Big T Silva 1:50 AM - 6 April, 2014
Does ANYONE have a BRAND NEW MBP and can Run SDJ at 1 MS Latency WITHOUT any USB buffer drops out OR light on with excellent sound quality?
djmacklong 1:55 AM - 6 April, 2014
I believe mine's 3.7 as well actually...it's whatever the highest spec MBP was available in Sept.

A good friend of mine has a BRAND NEW MBP and CANNOT run it at 1ms. He gets USB buffer warnings and occasional sound artifacts.

Mine is only 6 1/2 months old and I CANNOT run it at 1ms either. I get the occasional USB buffer warning and the sound is TERRIBLE. I can run it at 2ms, but I still get the USB buffer warnings. I also had SDJ completely shut down on me at 1am a couple weeks ago.

Both of us were using it with turntables. We'll be sticking to SSL until SDJ 2.0 comes out at this point. SDJ 1.5 ran flawlessly at 1ms on my SX when I had it, and 1.6 beta ran flawlessly on my Rane 62/turntable setup at 1ms.
djmacklong 1:58 AM - 6 April, 2014
AND...a friend of ours has a 2011 MBP with a SATA 2 HD and runs SDJ on 1ms flawlessly, and has since day 1. Go figure.
DJ Big T Silva 2:23 AM - 6 April, 2014
@djmaclong Thanks for sharing! I started a new thread for this very topic check it out and feel free to comment on your experiences there to help all other forum members thanks
blackavenger 2:44 AM - 6 April, 2014
Quote:
AND...a friend of ours has a 2011 MBP with a SATA 2 HD and runs SDJ on 1ms flawlessly, and has since day 1. Go figure.

I have a 2011 MBP running 10.6.8. @2.0GHz. SeratoDJ is installed on an SSD, but the tunes are on a 7200rpm HDD via an optibay. It too runs flawlessly at 1ms.
dj-freestyle 4:07 PM - 7 April, 2014
i think dj city asked for a video with just finger tips so ill do that now. i did one before with no issues. its just so random. strange.
in 5:53 AM - 8 April, 2014
Can anyone with a DDJ-SZ tell me if the Split Cue software option in Serato DJ (go to Setup then the Mixer tab then click the "Split Cue" button in the monitoring section) works? I've heard it's greyed out and can't be selected on the SX. If it works it will turn blue when you click it and the master out will go to your right headphone and the cue will be in the left.

Thanks!
dj-freestyle 2:49 PM - 8 April, 2014
Sz does not have split cue. That was mentioned earlier.
Emersiveav 12:16 AM - 9 April, 2014
The needle search works just like it does on the SX as well it is NOT locked out when the tracks is playing I have no idea where that spec came from because the needle search is always active.. As everything else in the above mentions notes are exactly the same with my SZ no one has mentioned that needle search as stated on pioneers site will not work during a playing track its totally false and it does indeed work while a track is in play!
saintsimon 12:20 AM - 9 April, 2014
It is on by default, check the full manual online PDF to find the page that puts your unit in config mode and you can set needle search only when jogwheel/track is at a stop
deejdave 12:24 AM - 9 April, 2014
^^^^^ which is the reason no one has said the feature is not as Pioneer said it would be.
Emersiveav 12:27 AM - 9 April, 2014
AHH OK well just from how its stated on their site its didn't sound like anything more was needed .....I don't care if its on or off really I haven't accidently made it do something I didn't want it to any way.
dj-freestyle 12:41 AM - 9 April, 2014
Ya go Into settings and set lock . It's easy . I love having the lock . Should make sx jtag way
deejdave 12:54 AM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:
AHH OK well just from how its stated on their site its didn't sound like anything more was needed .....I don't care if its on or off really I haven't accidently made it do something I didn't want it to any way.

Nothing more needed than turning it off. Kind of the same concept as every feature this controller has. Any/all features should be user selectable. I never had an issue with the SX's which is set in a more troublesome spot than the SZ so if they didn't have the option to leave it as is I would've been annoyed. Would've gotten over but you get the point.
in 7:34 PM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
Sz does not have split cue. That was mentioned earlier.

I'm asking if it has software split cue support in Serato DJ. The Reloop Terminal Mix 8 for example has no dedicated split cue hardware, but enabling it in Serato DJ works.

I've read that it doesn't work with the DDJ-SX in software, but I've also read for that controller that Serato and Pioneer were "working on it."

So can anyone who has a DDJ-SZ confirm whether or not split cue can be enabled in Serato DJ via software?
dj-freestyle 8:30 PM - 10 April, 2014
No it does not.
dj-freestyle 8:30 PM - 10 April, 2014
im in front of mine and does not have split cue. serato said not a option.
djshem 1:26 PM - 14 April, 2014
I've gigged with my SZ 4x already, flawless performance. I have not wanted to touch my sx after using my sz once. Beast Mode Activated.
djmacklong 2:20 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Beast Mode Activated.

That's only on the 62, lol.
DjCity 2:26 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Beast Mode Activated.

That's only on the 62, lol.

Tiger Style Beast mode is the 64 with my Reloop rp8000's.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Beast mode is gonna be the SZ (when working) with the 8000's.

Godzilia Beast mode will be the SZ with the 8000's AND 2000nexus's.

Is that possible?
blackavenger 2:40 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Godzilia Beast mode will be the SZ with the 8000's AND 2000nexus's.

Is that possible?

Sure, it's got 4 channels, so why not? It seems utterly pointless (just get a 900SRT), but whatever floats your boat....
DjCity 2:47 PM - 14 April, 2014
My boat is floating like a cruise liner.

I never wanted the 900SRT though.

I'm happy with my Rane 64 and Reloop's and hope to be happy with the SZ when it's fixed.

I am considering getting a pair of the 2000nexus but it would be serious overkill with everything else I have.
blackavenger 2:50 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
I am considering getting a pair of the 2000nexus but it would be serious overkill with everything else I have.

This.
djmacklong 2:53 PM - 14 April, 2014
I'm considering getting the SP1 again for my 1210/62 (or 61 at once of my residencies) once SDJ is fully stable for DVS. I had one but sent it back because it was basically a big paperweight with SDJ at this point.
dj-freestyle 3:14 PM - 14 April, 2014
I used my sp1 with my 62 and tables and freaking love it. tons of aweosme vidoes out there of how dope it is. such a great setup. very happy with it
djmacklong 5:02 PM - 14 April, 2014
SDJ just does not work well on my *brand new as of September* MBP yet. I look forward to the day that it does so that I can justify picking up the SP1 again.
dj-freestyle 5:11 PM - 14 April, 2014
mmm thats weird. i havent really had any issues. small stuff in first version but not much since. im sure will get fixed.
Mr. Goodkat 8:04 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
My boat is floating like a cruise liner.

I never wanted the 900SRT though.

I'm happy with my Rane 64 and Reloop's and hope to be happy with the SZ when it's fixed.

how much gear can you have, take some hookers to cancun or something acutally fun with that 4k ;)
djmacklong 8:40 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
mmm thats weird. i havent really had any issues. small stuff in first version but not much since. im sure will get fixed.

It's not that weird; it's actually fairly common. A friend of mine bought at the highest model MBP you can get in the store brand new two weeks ago; took it home, loaded SDJ and some music, and BOOM -- red/yellow flashing all over the place at 1ms with audio artifacts like crazy.
djmacklong 8:41 PM - 14 April, 2014
I know several guys with the latest retina MBPs with maxed out resources and all of them are having issues.
dj-freestyle 8:49 PM - 14 April, 2014
Wonder if its new macbooks? who knows. always seems so hit or miss just sucks though. ive been lucky with my 2011 and my 2012 ones. knock on wood.
blackavenger 6:21 AM - 15 April, 2014
I think it's the OS, cause I have zero issues with 10.6.8. It doesn't make sense for the newest (retina) Macs w' their vastly superior hardware to be having issues w' SeratoDJ, when my 3 year old MBP operates it perfectly.

My specs: 15" 2.0GHz i7 Quadcore (Sandy Bridge), 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD for OS/750GB HDD for Storage, 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).
My configuration is old by today's standards. The Retina Macs blow this configuration away, and yet are plagued w' stability issues? It doesn't make sense.
Dj Youkai 12:13 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
Wonder if its new macbooks? who knows. always seems so hit or miss just sucks though. ive been lucky with my 2011 and my 2012 ones. knock on wood.

Mine is 2012 Also. So far so good here also.
Dj Youkai 12:16 PM - 15 April, 2014
Oh I also have and i5 8GB Dell XPS. Running 720 videos with Doesn't even go over 1/4 CPU usage... so far *Knocks On Wood.
Dj Youkai 12:17 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
Oh I also have and i5 8GB Dell XPS. Running 720 videos with Doesn't even go over 1/4 CPU usage... so far *Knocks On Wood.

Oops with Serato Video.. Dammit I wish they have an Edit Button. Grrr.
djmacklong 2:43 PM - 15 April, 2014
It definitely seems to work better on pre-retina MBPs.
Davideon 5:29 PM - 15 April, 2014
Could it be the Haswall chips?
ILLZ 8:36 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
It definitely seems to work better on pre-retina MBPs.

+1

I was having trouble with my sl3, then bought a 62 (after I returned my sz lols) and knock on wood SDJ is running fine right now, no dropouts or issues. Weird.
audiomontana 1:14 PM - 18 May, 2014
My SZ has been returned to the retailor, the unit had various issues, Is there any word on when the functional builds will be sent out from pioneer? Safe manufacturing numbers dates?
Dj Youkai 1:47 PM - 18 May, 2014
As far as dates, don't know, some work some not, Pioneer recalled it, it's up to the retailers to send it back to Pioneer, I don't know when the new batch comes out, when it does you can rest assure it will be all working. My guess is June, manufacturer date.
audiomontana 2:04 PM - 18 May, 2014
thank you -- i havent been watching the threads much late as Ive been working -- glad I finally got it returned though.