Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Seeking DDJ-SZ case that does NOT have computer tray/stand or extra wasted space

Mister Mac 6:48 PM - 27 March, 2014
Pretty much what the title of this thread says. Does anyone happen to know where I can find a DDJ-SZ hard case (in the US) that does NOT have a computer tray/stand, and does NOT have extra wasted space anywhere around the unit?

Everything I've seen so far (except this one which appears to only be available overseas i802.photobucket.com ) either has extra doohickies for computer (can't STAND a computer in way of dancefloor, pardon pun) and/or extra wasted space, usually along back edge. The DDJ-SZ is so big, every bit of saved space is crucial so case is saw compact as possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
DjCity 8:42 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
Pretty much what the title of this thread says. Does anyone happen to know where I can find a DDJ-SZ hard case (in the US) that does NOT have a computer tray/stand, and does NOT have extra wasted space anywhere around the unit?

and/or extra wasted space, usually along back edge. The DDJ-SZ is so big, every bit of saved space is crucial so case is saw compact as possible.

Just curious...

With no extra space in the back, how do you plan to plug anything in?
Things like power cable and XLR's come to mind right away.
damehype 9:34 PM - 27 March, 2014
I was told by the Odyssey rep when I called yesterday that the transport only (no shelf, no tray) model will not be ready until around June. He said there's been no demand for it. Bullshiggedy!
Mister Mac 10:24 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

and/or extra wasted space, usually along back edge. The DDJ-SZ is so big, every bit of saved space is crucial so case is saw compact as possible.

Just curious...

Simple, just have a removable panel on the back wall... OR have all the walls connected to the top half of the case, not the bottom (see photo linked in original post.
Mister Mac 10:26 PM - 27 March, 2014
^^^ PS: A removable panel on the back wall not only allows case to be more form fitting to unit and compact, it also makes for cleaner cable connections since the cables go straight into unit rather than draping them up and over a solid back wall.
Mister Mac 10:31 PM - 27 March, 2014
Quote:
I was told by the Odyssey rep when I called yesterday that the transport only (no shelf, no tray) model will not be ready until around June. He said there's been no demand for it. Bullshiggedy!

Agreed. I believe once people really see just how unnecessarily big and bulky a DDJ-SZ case will be once you add things like empty airspace along back of unit and laptop trays/stands they'll wish they'd gone another route like what I'm looking for here. Besides, laptops in the way, creating a barrier between DJ and dancefloor is a big no-no IMO. Get those damn screens out of the way, either way off to the side, or down below the work surface. Pick your track, load it, and then back to work with eyes, ears, hands and full attention where it should be, on the crowd, decks/mixer, not glued to a computer screen.
Culprit 9:31 AM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:

Why dont ypu just buy the case as the tray should slide right off. The price difference would be minimal
damehype 9:44 AM - 28 March, 2014
Bulkier case No need for keyboard glide tray.
Dj mainza 11:41 PM - 2 April, 2014
www.swanflight.com
you might like this one
Mister Mac 11:43 PM - 2 April, 2014
Quote:
www.swanflight.com
you might like this one

Nope, has extra wasted space along back.
Culprit 11:45 PM - 2 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
www.swanflight.com
you might like this one

Are you planning on taking the unit out of the case in use? That wasted space is so you can plug in your xlr's and use the unit inside the case. You put the base on top of the lid for extra height, stacking corners.
Mister Mac 1:24 AM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.swanflight.com
you might like this one

Are you planning on taking the unit out of the case in use? That wasted space is so you can plug in your xlr's and use the unit inside the case. You put the base on top of the lid for extra height, stacking corners.

No, unit stays in case. Regarding the wasted space and connections, see below (from above). If there was a simple removable panel on the back the extra space wouldn't be needed because the cable would plug straight into unit rather than draping up and over a back wall.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just curious...

Simple, just have a removable panel on the back wall... OR have all the walls connected to the top half of the case, not the bottom (see photo linked in original post.
deejdave 2:34 AM - 3 April, 2014
This makes sense with controllers. With CDJ setups you would want to have tha space so you don't need to be connecting everything EVERY time. In my days the most commonly replaced items are RCA & USB cables from connecting & disconnecting as well as bare wires & shorts in between plug & connector. Absolutely a great idea to skip it for the SZ as you would want to release the wires every time anyways. You're not wasting much time connecting Power, USB & main outputs.
Mister Mac 3:23 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
This makes sense with controllers.

Yep, I believe this is where case manufacturers are just making cases as they always have aren't really paying attention to the application difference between controllers and traditional 2-decks+mixer setups.

Wake up case manufacturers.
Mister Mac 9:57 PM - 30 April, 2014
Boom! Here she is. Custom DDj-SZ flight case. As compact as possible (38"x20"x7") with zero wasted space and no up n' over cable draping over a back panel. THANKS Nelson Case Corp.! Beautiful precision work :-)

i802.photobucket.com

i802.photobucket.com

i802.photobucket.com
Culprit 10:33 PM - 30 April, 2014
the more i see the ddjsz the more I want to purchase it
damehype 12:52 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Boom! Here she is. Custom DDj-SZ flight case. As compact as possible (38"x20"x7") with zero wasted space and no up n' over cable draping over a back panel. THANKS Nelson Case Corp.! Beautiful precision work :-)

i802.photobucket.com

i802.photobucket.com

i802.photobucket.com

How do you use headphones? Doesn't look like the front panel comes off.
VJ Justin Allen 1:54 AM - 1 May, 2014
Look at the third picture.
deejdave 1:57 AM - 1 May, 2014
That is the back though and you need that open for the wires. The headphones jack is in the front.
VJ Justin Allen 1:59 AM - 1 May, 2014
Opps, you're right...stupid eyes :)
Dj Youkai 2:03 AM - 1 May, 2014
Hmmm, design flaw?
pdidy 2:47 AM - 1 May, 2014
Oops...lol
that Custom DDj-SZ flight case is going to need some more customizing....
damehype 5:16 AM - 1 May, 2014
Lol
deejdave 11:12 AM - 1 May, 2014
It is actually a VERY easy fix. One that I have done myself. A precision placed hole right where the headphones jack goes and you are done. I actually acts as a reinforcement for the plug as that is the area that gets most movement and is typically the area that breaks first. When using the case a s a sort of rigid sleeve it prevents this.
Mister Mac 2:37 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

i802.photobucket.com

i802.photobucket.com

i802.photobucket.com

How do you use headphones? Doesn't look like the front panel comes off.

Simple, I just carefully notched the interior panel foam with a 1/2" channel so that it directly accepts a 90º TRS headphone cable connector >>> i802.photobucket.com

Can also leave 90º 1/4" TRS adapter plugged into the unit so it's ready to accept any 1/4" headphone plug. That's what I did on my custom Rane Rotary Empath case >>> i802.photobucket.com
and i802.photobucket.com
Mister Mac 2:37 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
It is actually a VERY easy fix. One that I have done myself. A precision placed hole right where the headphones jack goes and you are done. I actually acts as a reinforcement for the plug as that is the area that gets most movement and is typically the area that breaks first. When using the case a s a sort of rigid sleeve it prevents this.

Yep, that works too if using a straight 1/4" TRS headphone cable connector.
blackavenger 4:43 PM - 1 May, 2014

One small divergence from the subject at hand.....how are those platter covers (stickers) working out for you? Do they inhibit the conductivity at all?
Mister Mac 5:03 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:

One small divergence from the subject at hand.....how are those platter covers (stickers) working out for you? Do they inhibit the conductivity at all?

So far no issues at all. Mind you though, I'm not a scratch DJ, beat juggler, trick mixer, etc., so caution that mileage may vary for those that are and who may have different platter performance requirements.
damehype 5:54 PM - 1 May, 2014
Did you notch the foam for the curve select knob also or do you just set and forget? Are you worried about it breaking under stress?
Mister Mac 7:08 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Did you notch the foam for the curve select knob also or do you just set and forget? Are you worried about it breaking under stress?

Nah, I have zero need for the cross fader. Never use cross faders at all. Have it set to OFF in SDJ setup so it doesn't even do anything. The DDJ-SZ's cross fader curve adjustment knob is very short and just presses slightly into the interior foam and made a small depression where it sits. No way it'll be damaged.
Dj Youkai 7:11 PM - 1 May, 2014
Wait? You never used Cross Faders? Are you like DJ Press Play or something?
Mister Mac 7:20 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Wait? You never used Cross Faders? Are you like DJ Press Play or something?

Nope, never use it. No need for the type of mixing I do. Been DJing for over 20 years and most everyone else I've ever DJ'd with never use channel faders either. All mixing is performed via the individual 1-4 channel faders.
Mister Mac 7:23 PM - 1 May, 2014
^^^ I imagine this type of usage isn't unique either which is why Serato incorporated the cross fader on/off defeat control in the SDJ setup menu.
Mister Mac 7:26 PM - 1 May, 2014
Also, not sure if you are aware or not, but there are many DJ mixers on the market that do not even have cross faders (i.e.: Bozak, Urei, Electronique Spectacle, et al.) because they simply aren't needed or wanted by many non-scratch DJs.
Dj Youkai 7:51 PM - 1 May, 2014
Ahhhh, I see,, amazing, I was thinking more than you were dub stepping or something :-), cool cool,
Dj Youkai 7:57 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:

I'll post some videos soon, just comparing with or without the stickers on the platters, just for you guys, I have it on right now, and sensitivity has lost a lot, you have to press it flat on you finger tips, 2 fingers works, pretty much the sensitivity when I first got the SZ before I sent it for repair.
blackavenger 8:54 PM - 1 May, 2014
Lookin' forward to it, thanks.
Mister Mac 9:02 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Ahhhh, I see,, amazing, I was thinking more than you were dub stepping or something :-), cool cool,

Nope, no dubstep. Not really my thing. Primarily deep house, disco, funk, soul, latin, jazz, tribal, tech house, techno, acid, boogie, skate jams, afro/broken beat, breaks, etc., etc.
Mister Mac 9:04 PM - 1 May, 2014
PS: Considering pre-wiring a 90º 1/4" TRS and rerouting the the cable to a panel mount 1/4" TRS jack along the front panel of flight case >>> www.neutrik.us
blackavenger 9:48 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
PS: Considering pre-wiring a 90º 1/4" TRS and rerouting the the cable to a panel mount 1/4" TRS jack along the front panel of flight case >>> www.neutrik.us

I would do this if I were you....it's much cleaner.
Mister Mac 1:33 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I would do this if I were you....it's much cleaner.

Agreed. Just ordered the parts. Will post pics when she's finished.
Mister Mac 7:53 PM - 9 May, 2014
Custom headphone jack relocation pics...

i802.photobucket.com

i802.photobucket.com

i802.photobucket.com
Culprit 10:04 PM - 9 May, 2014
looks good!
blackavenger 3:54 PM - 23 July, 2014
For those that might be interested in a softcase, I was window shopping on Fleabay, and stumbled across this....

www.ebay.com
Djjahburg 4:52 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
For those that might be interested in a softcase, I was window shopping on Fleabay, and stumbled across this....

www.ebay.com

i like that case
Culprit 5:56 PM - 23 July, 2014
Odyssey use to have bag's like that, black exterior, orange interior.