Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SERATO DJ Cross Fader just skips left and right, not smooth transition.

Dj Youkai 11:20 PM - 29 April, 2014
I just got back my DDJ-SZ from Pioneer and the jogwheel sensitivity has been fixed, but when I put the vinyl black sticker, it lost some of its sensitivity, I have have to press it a little harder,I'll post video later, but I encountered another problem the Cross Fader isn't working correctly now, when I move the faders from left to right, it doesn't make a smooth transition, it just skips from deck one to deck 2 and vice versa making like a quick cut and not a blend, please tell this is just a software issue, it was working before I sent it to pioneer, when I got it back it doesn't work correctly. :-(
Davideon 6:10 AM - 30 April, 2014
Cross fader curve needs adjusting?
Dj Youkai 6:28 AM - 30 April, 2014
I tried that knob, it doesn't work, when you look at seratodj, you will see the crossfader animation will just go from left to right you don't see it sliding, it's crazy, It wasnt like that before I sent it :-(
Dj Youkai 12:51 PM - 30 April, 2014
Actually now, I have really have no control on the cross faders. Anyone have this problem?
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:25 PM - 30 April, 2014
Wow.... Lets just hope your problem isn't across the board..... I would email Pioneer.... Not everyone's gotten their units back yet.
Dj Youkai 2:45 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Wow.... Lets just hope your problem isn't across the board..... I would email Pioneer.... Not everyone's gotten their units back yet.

It's really late right now. I'll probably will post a video on this. What going on now is When I'm Playing both Decks. When I move the fader to the left.. I have to literally force the fader and "hold" it so the track can be heard through the master output (speakers) one slight move to the right like a hairline .. the left track will get cut out and the right track will be heard instead. I'm pulling my hair right now out of frustrations. Seems to me now it's a hardware issue again. :(
Also.. Can anyone post me what's your Audio Output Settings in your DDJ-SZ Setting Utility Application is at? Like give me a screen shot or something just to compare. When You open that I need that info under "Controller Output" Tab.. I just want to compare settings. Thank You in Advance.

But to me. It seems like I might have to send it back for repairs again :( . Funny though when I got back the SZ for the Jog Wheel Repair.. In the box already shipping labels again. I guess Pioneer is already one step ahead in case something else goes wrong. LOL Wish they thoroughly tested my controller not only jog wheels, but everything else. I guess they only fix on what we tell them to fix huh. :(
Davideon 5:10 PM - 30 April, 2014
Sounds like the cross fader is knackered
Dj Youkai 10:21 PM - 30 April, 2014
Okay, I Uploaded a video to explain it better.
youtu.be
What think guys?
Hardware Problem? Or Software Problem?
Shall I return it to Pioneer Again?
Mighty Dragon Sounds 10:33 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
youtu.be
What think guys?

Ahhhh.... that sucks.... Open up a help ticket on the Serato Forum as well.
Dj Youkai 10:36 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
youtu.be
What think guys?

Ahhhh.... that sucks.... Open up a help ticket on the Serato Forum as well.

Hi Dragon.. How do I do that? I'm pretty new here.. Is that like the same as making a new thread in another section of the forum?
Thank you for checking out my thread. I just worried that some people who never got there's back yet, will get this same problem as me. :(
Mighty Dragon Sounds 10:40 PM - 30 April, 2014
serato.com

^^^
Post a help topic there and attach your video..... Hopefully someone will come to give you advise but from what I can tell.....

Try adjusting your crossfader curve settings both on your mixer and on your software set up settings.... Play around with it........

If you are comfortable I would remove the crossfader assembly to check for proper functioning if your know what to look for.....

And lastly contact Pioneer.
Dj Youkai 10:43 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
serato.com

^^^
Post a help topic there and attach your video..... Hopefully someone will come to give you advise but from what I can tell.....

Try adjusting your crossfader curve settings both on your mixer and on your software set up settings.... Play around with it........

If you are comfortable I would remove the crossfader assembly to check for proper functioning if your know what to look for.....

And lastly contact Pioneer.

Thank you for your help. I tried Adjusting it on both software and and hardware. Still don't work.. I dont even have a smooth transition when I use any of the transition effects on Serato Video also. It just Quick Cut Effects. :(
blackavenger 11:02 PM - 30 April, 2014
I know it's kinda' obvious, but have you taken it apart to see if the crossfader is completely plugged in? It's worth a shot at least.
Dj Youkai 11:05 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
I know it's kinda' obvious, but have you taken it apart to see if the crossfader is completely plugged in? It's worth a shot at least.

No, I didn't try that. I'm afraid I might break it or something. Like even stripping the screws might happen if you have you don't have right equipment. Is there a video on opening up a $2000 DDJ-SZ that anyone posted yet, and replacing the cross fader that I can follow?
blackavenger 11:08 PM - 30 April, 2014
You'll be okay, Youkai ;-)

Just lay everything out so that you match each screw to each hole. I like to use strips of duct tape.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 11:09 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
youtu.be
What think guys?

Wow, that sucks man. I'm still waiting to get mine back. Is anyone else having these issues? Have you contacted Pioneer about the crossfader issue? Please keep us posted on what happens. Good luck.
blackavenger 11:15 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Is there a video on opening up a $2000 DDJ-SZ that anyone posted yet, and replacing the cross fader that I can follow?

Nope, not that I am aware of......but hey, you can be the first.

Bro, I have built 4 PCs from the box up....repaired the screen on 3 phones......reapplied thermal compound to my PS3 and Macbook Pro a couple times......replaced jog wheels/CD Lens' on CDJs......replaced/repaired numerous faders......ground soldered my Techs....and all without any formal training. I think you removing the faceplate to see if your crossfader was properly connected will be perfectly safe.
DJ Quartz 11:15 PM - 30 April, 2014
Something is definitely wrong there. Get Pioneer on the phone, that doesn't look like software.
Dj Youkai 11:16 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Wow, that sucks man. I'm still waiting to get mine back. Is anyone else having these issues? Have you contacted Pioneer about the crossfader issue? Please keep us posted on what happens. Good luck.

I haven't yet, Gonna contact them after I finish my lunch. Just sucks, cause they fixed the jog wheels, well for what I tried. Just never tested it yet fully, cause of this problem.
Just kinda bummed out cause I really wanted to use this on the wedding. Luckily I brought my SX too for back up. So it wasn't too bad. :/
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 12:15 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't yet, Gonna contact them after I finish my lunch. Just sucks, cause they fixed the jog wheels, well for what I tried. Just never tested it yet fully, cause of this problem.
Just kinda bummed out cause I really wanted to use this on the wedding. Luckily I brought my SX too for back up. So it wasn't too bad. :/

I was really excited to hear you guys got yours back. I am curious if this was just an issue with your SZ, or is this a new issue we should look for when ours return. it sucks just you just got it back. Not looking good.
djmacklong 12:33 AM - 1 May, 2014
i noticed today that one of my mic knobs is a liiiiiiiiiittle bit wobbly. Not enough to turn around and send it right back, but it's annoying nonetheless. Pioneer also didn't do anything about my slightly warped left platter either.
djmacklong 12:34 AM - 1 May, 2014
My crossfader is totally fine though. In fact, it's the best Pioneer crossfader I've ever touched. I normally HATE Pioneer crossfaders.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:39 AM - 1 May, 2014
While we are on the subject of Pioneer Crossfaders.......

That little hole by the crossfader..... what does it adjust?
damehype 12:49 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:

The tension. You have to move it to the right first though, then the lil screw will reveal itself
Dj Youkai 12:50 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:

That little hole it's the how loose or tight you want the fader to move left and right.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:50 AM - 1 May, 2014
Does it make it feel slicker I guess?
djmacklong 12:53 AM - 1 May, 2014
it's the same as the tension adjust on the platters, but with a tiny little hole instead of an easy-to-use knob.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:55 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
it's the same as the tension adjust on the platters, but with a tiny little hole instead of an easy-to-use knob.

Does it get as slick as the DJM 909 or Rane Cross faders?

Where if you fling it one way it actually bounces back at you?

Like This???

www.facebook.com
djmacklong 1:36 AM - 1 May, 2014
Ummm...possibly? The above is done by changing the placement of the torsion spring that's on the Rane faders. I have no idea if you can do the same thing the Pioneer Magvel fader, but I'm really happy with its lowest tension setting right now. I'm not about to open this thing up after all the BS that we've had to deal with already, lol.
Dj Youkai 1:55 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
I'm not about to open this thing up after all the BS that we've had to deal with already, lol.

I really don't want to open it either, I rather have Pioneer to fix, I just wish they would test it all, just the basic stuffs at least, check check all the knobs faders platters etc. before sending it back. I mean just quality check it. So this would not happen :(
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:55 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Ummm...possibly? The above is done by changing the placement of the torsion spring that's on the Rane faders. I have no idea if you can do the same thing the Pioneer Magvel fader, but I'm really happy with its lowest tension setting right now. I'm not about to open this thing up after all the BS that we've had to deal with already, lol.

Yea that one up there is my 62..... It has the newer(ish) faders that don't have the torsion spring at all.
Dj Youkai 2:00 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Does it get as slick as the DJM 909 or Rane Cross faders?

Where if you fling it one way it actually bounces back at you?

Like This???

www.facebook.com

I haven't tried it that way, I'll try it when I get back to my office. I have gig right now, dammit they might ask me to DJ till 4am again. Oh Well .. More Practice :P
I tried calling Pioneer earlier, but customer service is close already. I guess I'll try again tomorrow, but thank you so much everyone for all your input. Hope there is a solution rather than taking it back, but it seems like it's heading in that direction. :/
Mighty Dragon Sounds 2:04 AM - 1 May, 2014
Hopefully....

I had a bad dream the other night...... No lie....... I thought I traded in all my turntables and my rane mixer...... for an SZ..... Only to have the same problems that everyone was having..... When I woke up in a sweat I ran over to check on my turntables and saw that everything was as it was...... Phewwww... Disaster averted!!!
djmacklong 3:15 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yea that one up there is my 62..... It has the newer(ish) faders that don't have the torsion spring at all.

How did you go about getting your XF that loose? I have a 62 as well, but never bothered to open it up.
blackavenger 4:38 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Hopefully....

I had a bad dream the other night...... No lie....... I thought I traded in all my turntables and my rane mixer...... for an SZ..... Only to have the same problems that everyone was having..... When I woke up in a sweat I ran over to check on my turntables and saw that everything was as it was...... Phewwww... Disaster averted!!!

The 62 had it's fair share of problems when it was first released as well. So much so, that my friend returned his, and bought another 57SL......haha, he regrets it now of course, but the point is still valid.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 9:06 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How did you go about getting your XF that loose? I have a 62 as well, but never bothered to open it up.

Regular cleaning, maintenance and some Deoxit Lube (Rane recommends a different lube now but I have two bottles of DeOxit Fader lube to finish off first... lol)
djmacklong 2:45 PM - 1 May, 2014
I regularly clean my faders with the same products. In fact, I keep a small can of DeOxit in my bag for when I show up to venues with mixers that have sticky faders.
Logisticalstyles 5:39 PM - 1 May, 2014
I have the same problem with my Denon MC2000. It didn't start until I updated my software last night.

Here's what I experience.

One thing I immediately noticed is the music from both decks doesn't always play when I have the crossfader in the middle.

I had the same song on both decks and one song was ahead by one beat. I was switching the crossfader back and forth to get the doubled up effect. I noticed that the only sounds that came out the unit was the deck that had the fader completley open. If the fader was in the middle I could only hear one deck. If I wanted the other deck to be heard I had to completely move the crossfader to that side. I tested it further by putting the fader in the middle with both decks spinning. Only one could be heard. I stopped the deck that I could heard and let the other deck play but still no sound. It wasnt until I moved the crossfader from the middle over to the deck that was still spinning that I could the sound.
DjCity 2:17 AM - 2 May, 2014
I just checked the video out...
DAAAYYYYUUUUUM!

If mine has that problem when it comes back to me...

I'm sending it back for a refund.
Dj Youkai 7:47 PM - 6 May, 2014
Update on my SZ Seems like it arrived a Day Early. Right On FedEx.
5:49 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
CARSON, CA

Now. Up to Pioneer to get my baby fix.
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 11:37 PM - 6 May, 2014
Quote:
Update on my SZ Seems like it arrived a Day Early. Right On FedEx.
5:49 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
CARSON, CA

Now. Up to Pioneer to get my baby fix.

Didn't you just get it back last week?
Dj Youkai 6:23 AM - 7 May, 2014
Yep.. Got it back on Friday. Jog Wheels Working Perfectly, but they seem to mess up my cross fader when I got it back. I posted this earlier.

Cross Fader Issue:
youtu.be

Here's a more recent one that I uploaded like 5 days ago, right before I sent it back. This one showing the Jog Wheels working perfectly, but if you add the Black Skins, it looses sensitivity, also a little test on the cross faders again.
youtu.be

*Update Pioneer Received the Controller today, now it's in Repair Process. The Timer Starts Now.
Dj Youkai 5:15 PM - 8 May, 2014
Herro Everyone and Good Morning. Just woke up and did a refresh on my Repair Status on my SZ and.....
BAM!!!! REPAIR COMPLETED!!!
I just hope everything works as it should. Can't wait for my Baby to come back home :D
DJ $tarv'n Marvin 8:57 PM - 9 May, 2014
Mine finally arrived from repair. Happy to say no problems with jogwheels or crossfader.
Dj Youkai 7:46 PM - 11 May, 2014
Update: Still in Repair Complete Status :(
I hope I get it this week.
Dj Youkai 6:23 PM - 12 May, 2014
Update:
Just refreshed it like 10 minutes ago.
Repair Completed
Unit Shipped :)

No Tracking # Yet. But at least it's Finally Coming Back :)
Dj Youkai 5:48 AM - 13 May, 2014
Okay.. Got my Tracking.. Expected to be here on Friday!!! PERFECT!!! If it comes a Day Earlier.. That would be SOOOO AWESOME!!! DDJ-SZ... COME TO PAPA!!!! :D
jroc453 12:02 PM - 14 May, 2014
They seem to take WAY to long to ship them back out after the repair is completed. They should be shipping them out the same day they get fixed. I don't understand why it would take so long to box the damn thing up and get them out the door ASAP. But a one day repair for your crossfader isn't bad. They just seem to need to work on their shipping dept.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:02 PM - 14 May, 2014
If anyone is a Star Trek fan like me..... This reminds me of the initial release of the New Enterprise Refit NCC-1701-A.....

Ending scene of Episode IV a Voyage Home where the crew gets the new Enterprise and Captain Kirk Goes..... Lets See Watch She's Got!!!!

And then in the Beginning of Episode V Final Frontier (Worst one only to Motion Picture IMO) we see poor Scotty trying to fix everything......
blackavenger 1:16 PM - 14 May, 2014
The Motion Picture is great......."V-GER"!!

:-)
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:22 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
The Motion Picture is great......."V-GER"!!

:-)

Heck no!!! It seemed like 3 hours of nothing but the Enterprise floating around in a kaleidoscope!!! lol

And they say the re-boot sucked.... The reboot was Awesome!!!!

Just like how I hope the new set of SZs that come back from Pioneer.....

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Guitar Center here would get with the program and sent theirs back..... Its still sitting on the shelf with the price tag for sale.....
djmacklong 2:16 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
I wonder if the Guitar Center here would get with the program and sent theirs back..... Its still sitting on the shelf with the price tag for sale.....

Same here.
blackavenger 6:03 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Heck no!!! It seemed like 3 hours of nothing but the Enterprise floating around in a kaleidoscope!!! lol

And they say the re-boot sucked.... The reboot was Awesome!!!!

Well, I for one, think the story line was very creative. I also liked the reboots.
Dj Youkai 6:25 PM - 14 May, 2014
I love the Reboots.. Perfect Casting.
blackavenger 7:44 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Perfect Casting.

This
Ferdinand Castro 6:49 AM - 15 May, 2014
DJ Youkai did you have this same problem... see video:youtu.be
I sent the DDJ SZ in for platter service and came back with cross fader issues. I needed this unit for this Friday so they recommended me to an authorized repair center to Expedite the repairs. They referred Bestec in Gardena, CA. So the technicians thought it needed to be calibrated but it didn't fix the problem. They are now trying to replace the cross fader to fix the problem but are not sure that is the issue.

Do you know what Pioneer replaced on the unit to fix the cross fader problem?

Ferdinand
Ferdinand Castro 6:50 AM - 15 May, 2014
Quote:
I sent the DDJ SZ in for platter service and came back with cross fader issues. I needed this unit for this Friday so they recommended me to an authorized repair center to Expedite the repairs. They referred Bestec in Gardena, CA. So the technicians thought it needed to be calibrated but it didn't fix the problem. They are now trying to replace the cross fader to fix the problem but are not sure that is the issue.

Ferdinand
Dj Youkai 7:06 AM - 15 May, 2014
H
Quote:

Ferdinand

Hey Ferdinand, It's pretty similar I had to like Nudge it Down to the left in order to have the left platter to be heard. I called pioneer when they finally fixed it. They said they had to replace a new cross fader. So I'm getting mine tomorrow (Thursday) So I can't wait to have it back. I have a gig this Friday.. Would love to full rock this Controller. Of course I'll have the SX as Back up. But, I'm gonna test it fully on Thursday and Friday before my Gig. Hopefully (Praying) That it would be working Perfectly *Cross Fingers. By the way. How's the skins on your platter? Did it loose any sensitivity on the platters? Mine totally loss the one finger deal.
Here is my Video Again If you haven't seen it yet.
youtu.be

Here's the video testing sensitivity on the platters with black skins with and without it.
youtu.be
Dj Youkai 8:08 AM - 15 May, 2014
YAY!!! Just checked my SZ Tacking.. It Arrived just now. Gonna Pick it up at Fedex Office.. Cause I wont be in the studio in the morning... SO EXCITED!!! YEY YEY!!! :D
Dj Youkai 9:36 AM - 16 May, 2014
Gonna Test mine tomorrow, I had double gig today, well more photography and video and stage lighting, now projector rental till 4am,missed watching Godzilla 10:45 showing, man can't wait to rest out my SZ, I already put it in my case before I left, Fricken thing looks sexy in there.. Hehe, can't wait to try it out and see if everything is working 100‰ ^¿^
Dj Youkai 11:19 PM - 16 May, 2014
Okay Guys.. Just had a like a few testing with the Cross Faders.. It's as Good as New ( Of Course! It's a New Fader :P ) I got it back with another Pioneer SZ BOX At least now I have an Extra Box.. Just in case something else goes wrong. So Far So good, gonna test it out on a Middle School Dance Today. I'll have my SX as a Back Up. So Yeah.. I'm Happy Again :D Will Post and part of my SZ Case with it soon. TTYL I have to do some video editing now. Aloha :)
DjCity 11:21 PM - 16 May, 2014
Quote:
Okay Guys.. Just had a like a few testing with the Cross Faders.. It's as Good as New ( Of Course! It's a New Fader :P ) I got it back with another Pioneer SZ BOX At least now I have an Extra Box.. Just in case something else goes wrong. So Far So good, gonna test it out on a Middle School Dance Today. I'll have my SX as a Back Up. So Yeah.. I'm Happy Again :D Will Post and part of my SZ Case with it soon. TTYL I have to do some video editing now. Aloha :)

Coooool