Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio Delay in SDJ - Multiple Devices

Product
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djmacklong 4:33 PM - 29 April, 2014
Starting off with my computer specs:

2013 MBP Retina
16gb ram
2.7ghz i7 (turbo to 3.4ghz)
512gb SSD (353gb free)
OSX 10.9.2
SDJ 1.62

I'm having a problem with a delay in the audio response on two devices in SDJ. I was using the Rane 61 with 1200s on Saturday and there was a delay in the audio response from the record when trying to scratch. It was long enough that when trying to chirp like normal, I would completely miss the first part of the sound (moving the record forward) and would only hear the second part of the sound (moving the record backward). This same thing is happening on my DDJ SZ. I'm confident this is a software problem because it's happening on both units, and when I switched to SSL last Saturday the response was as tight as I've grown to expect, with no lag whatsoever.

The latency is set to 1ms on my SZ, and I have no dropout issues whatsoever. The latency is set to 2ms on the 61, and I get the occasional red/yellow USB warning and had one audio dropout in the first 20 minutes.

Please. Help.
9:03 PM, 4 May 2014
Discussion moved to Pioneer Hardware Help
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:32 PM - 4 May, 2014
Hey djmacklong

Even though it's the same issue for you, I'm going to treat the two devices separately as it's most likely two different causes.

For your Rane 61, have you adjusted the buffer slider in the Rane driver panel? For normal use, we recommend a setting of 8ms in there, coupled with whatever your preference is in SDJ. If your computer has a quick processor, you could try taking the Rane slider down to 5ms or so and then moving the SDJ slider to your preference. It's important to move the SDJ slider second.

A setting of 5ms Rane driver / 1ms SDJ is actually a lower latency round-trip than the old SSL 1ms, so it should be pretty tight if you can achieve it without dropouts.

For the SZ, there is a known issue with the platter latency that Serato and Pioneer have investigated. We hope to have a fix ready for everyone as soon as we can.

Cheers
djmacklong 10:03 PM - 4 May, 2014
Thanks for the response. This issue seems to be continually evolving for me.

I played my first full night on my SZ the other night and it seems to be going back to crossfader lag (within the software) when using the platters. I ran it on 1ms all night and had zero issues with platter latency or dropouts/warning lights. There was a very definite delay in audio response from the crossfader, but response from the platters themselves was very tight. I have my crossfader lag set to zero within the utility settings.

A couple days prior I was having this same issue when using the platters with the SZ, but I when I was using DVS/turntables with it there was zero noticeable latency and the response was very tight.

Am I correct in thinking that that points to this?: [quoteFor the SZ, there is a known issue with the platter latency that Serato and Pioneer have investigated.
Serato, Support
David Wood 4:22 AM - 5 May, 2014
There maybe an issue with the unit itself if you are having an issue with the crossfader. I'd suggest hitting up the user Pulse here on the forum, he's a Pioneer rep. He may have some helpful advise on this, let him know what has been happening and maybe link him to the thread. Let me know how you get on.

Pulse: serato.com

Regards
Dave W
djmacklong 4:26 AM - 5 May, 2014
I was having the same issue using SDJ on the 61 though.
Serato, Support
David Wood 4:32 AM - 5 May, 2014
That is strange because the crossfader on the Rane Sixty-One hardware controlled and there is no MIDI control in the signal flow. I'd suggest still looking into that being hardware related.
djmacklong 4:42 AM - 5 May, 2014
It works perfectly with SSL. In fact, last week I was on SDJ for about 20 minutes before this issue became too much to bear. I ended up to SSL and had flawless crossfader operation all night. And again...[quote
A couple days prior I was having this same issue when using the platters with the SZ, but I when I was using DVS/turntables with it there was zero noticeable latency and the response was very tight.

This was during the same practice session, running all four decks.
djmacklong 4:44 AM - 5 May, 2014
Lemme try this again...

It works perfectly with SSL. In fact, last week I was on SDJ for about 20 minutes before this issue became too much to bear. I ended up to SSL and had flawless crossfader operation all night. And again...

Quote:

This was during the same practice session, running all four decks.
Serato, Support
David Wood 4:44 AM - 5 May, 2014
Are we talking about the DVS controller latency or the crossfader? As the crossfader on your mixer is hardware controlled.
djmacklong 5:32 AM - 5 May, 2014
I'm talking about both. I don't mean to come across rude, but I feel like I've been pretty clear about the experiences I've been having with the different hardware and SDJ so I don't get where the confusing is coming from.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:27 PM - 5 May, 2014
I'm simply trying to help get to the bottom of this, you have discussed a number of different issues within the thread so let's break it down now:

• You have been having issues with the DDJ-SZ jog wheel latency however you are now finding that this is functioning as expected.

We are currently working closely with Pioneer to bring a fix for this issue and hope to have something really soon for our DDJ-SZ customer base.

• You have found that the crossfader latency is not functioning on the DDJ-SZ and Rane Sixty-One as expected.

Unfortunately the software really doesn't have anything to do with the crossfader. Because both the Rane Sixty-One and the DDJ-SZ have DVS control the crossfaders are hardware mixed, meaning the signal routing is not affected at all via the software. The audio which is affected by the crossfader movements is already in the mixer at this point. The only signal is the MIDI signal which is sent back for say, recording the movements and controlling the video faders in Serato Video etc. So any latency issues with crossfader movements are hardware related.

I'm afraid if you are indeed having issues with crossfader responsiveness, the best bet would be to get in touch with Rane and/or Pioneer.

Warm Regards
Dave W
djmacklong 9:55 PM - 5 May, 2014
In regards to the 61:

The crossfader latency issue ONLY presents itself with SDJ. As soon as I jump to SSL it responds 100% correctly.

In regards to the SZ (which ONLY works with SDJ obviously):

The crossfader latency issue ONLY presents itself when I'm using the SZ platters. If I'm using turntables the crossfader responds 100% correctly.

I realize that it *shouldn't* be software related, but based on these two things it seems pretty clear that *it is* somehow related to the SDJ software and the platters functioning together. I'm not making this up, and I'm not a novice. I'm a very seasoned DJ and pretty tech savvy, so this isn't a common sense issue on my part. Either there's a setting that I'm missing or there's something else going on that must not be a wide-spread issue.

Did you ever use the DJM-500 that had no crossfader curve adjustment? In order to cut properly, you had to start with the crossfader way more in the middle than you do with all the newer mixers. That's what it's like...but I've got the lag set to zero.
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:13 PM - 5 May, 2014
O.K can you make a video showing this issue, with the comparison between the two programs and for the DDJ-SZ between Jog wheels and external source such as turntables?
damehype 11:17 PM - 5 May, 2014
I've noticed an issue with the crossfader also. The cut could never be set sharp enough whether on the hardware or in the utilities. My unit is with Pioneer for the jogwheel issue and i included a note to check the crossfader. One thing though, I hadn't tested it standalone with just the turntables so I can't compare whether it's present when not using software.
damehype 11:20 PM - 5 May, 2014
Hey Macklong, did you update the firmware? Mine was worse with the factory firmware but i did notice a bit of improvement when I updated the firmware. Still wasn't sharp enough and like you, I felt sometimes it was missing the beginning of the cut, especially on fast cuts. But it was better than before the update
djmacklong 11:55 PM - 5 May, 2014
Quote:
I felt sometimes it was missing the beginning of the cut, especially on fast cuts.

That's exactly what I'm talking about...I only get sound when I'm pulling back on chirps. Mine is 100% up to date, and all curves, lags, and settings are set as tight as they can possibly be.
djmacklong 9:56 PM - 6 May, 2014
Alright here's my video. I had to test SDJ with my Rane 62, since my 61 is at my Saturday residency, and it's working fine so hopefully that will still be the case with the 61. I won't know until Saturday though. Below is my demo for the SZ/DVS/platter/turntable crossfader/lag/latency issue though, and I think it's pretty clear.

*note: I meant to say "62" at the 19 second mark.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:10 PM - 6 May, 2014
Gotta ya, now that is very obviously the jog wheel latency issue we have been working on with Pioneer. Not an issue with the crossfader in this case.

I'm going to work with one of our in house staff on the Rane Sixty-One and see if we can notice a difference. If you could possibly also make a video for that to if there is an issue still.

Other than that we are on the same page. The DDJ-SZ issue you are expecting is related to a known issue described in my first post.

Regards
Dave W
djmacklong 10:14 PM - 6 May, 2014
Quote:
Gotta ya, now that is very obviously the jog wheel latency issue we have been working on with Pioneer. Not an issue with the crossfader in this case.

I'm going to work with one of our in house staff on the Rane Sixty-One and see if we can notice a difference. If you could possibly also make a video for that to if there is an issue still.

Other than that we are on the same page. The DDJ-SZ issue you are expecting is related to a known issue described in my first post.

Regards
Dave W

Just for clarity's sake...this is a known issue by both Pioneer and Serato that is *separate* from the widespread platter sensitivity issue (which I already had repaired, lol), correct?

I'm talking about this with some guys in another thread and they don't seem to understand that you've acknowledged separate known issue with the platter latency, vs. the platter sensitivity.

Thank you, and I'm glad to hear this is being worked on.
djmacklong 10:16 PM - 6 May, 2014
One thing about the 61 is that I never saw a firmware update for that. I'm curious if there will be a difference between that and the 62, since there was an update for that one.
deejdave 11:27 PM - 6 May, 2014
I would also like to know. Are you in fact confirming a new issue or are you confirming the issue described here serato.com

We are all kind of confused and I was hoping you are not saying there is a in fact a new confirmed issue.
Serato, Support
David Wood 12:00 AM - 7 May, 2014
Hey djmacklong,

Simply put we are working on software related latency tightening for the DDJ-SZ currently this is separate from the hardware jog wheel sensitivity issue you had djmacklong. There was some faulty units which needed replacement/repair which i'm assuming yours was one of this group. This is not a new issue, it is something we have been aware of for a while and we are currently working on resolving. We hope to have a fix for this in a future release for you guys.

Regards
Dave W
djmacklong 2:18 AM - 7 May, 2014
So...in your opinion, do you think that I should be contacting the warranty center about getting a replacement unit? Or do you think this will be a software/firmware fix? I realize that you can't give hard answers until you have them, but I'm just wondering what the best course of action is for me. Wedding season is very near and that's the entire reason I bought this thing, so I need it to be tip top.
jroc453 11:37 AM - 7 May, 2014
I noticed the same thing with my SZ. When I first tested it out my chirps did the same thing and I was off every time when I was cutting. My DDJ SZ will get to Pioneer on Monday and I noted that something was not right with my crossfader. What can I do or what can I say to them to let them know of this issue. At the time I tested it last week no one else said anything about this problem. I wasn't happy with my scratching on the SZ at all and if this is the way it will stay then I have no use for the SZ.

So What is this problem called? So I can Call Pioneer and have them fix it while its there. I don't want't to send it in a second time for repairs.
djmacklong 9:39 AM - 11 May, 2014
Dave W -- I used SDJ on 1ms latency with 5ms device buffers the last two nights. Last night on my 62, and tonight on my venue's 61. Both operated flawlessly.
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:08 PM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
Dave W -- I used SDJ on 1ms latency with 5ms device buffers the last two nights. Last night on my 62, and tonight on my venue's 61. Both operated flawlessly.

That's good to hear. Glad you are finding the Serato DJ and Rane Sixty-One and Two compatibility is smoothing out, latency wise :)

Regards
Dave W
djmacklong 8:10 AM - 20 May, 2014
Dave W - I just updated to 1.6.3 and I'm still having this issue on my SZ.

The sound and playhead on the platters are operating *instantly* (tighter than before). It is *100%* a crossfader lag issue. I don't care how much it doesn't make sense, or how physically impossible you're gonna tell me it is based on the hardware...this is really happening. It's either crossfader cut lag (which I've already reduced to zero...AND I've adjusted the midi message send frequency on this thing), or it's something with the way the platter and crossfader are interacting.
jroc453 3:11 PM - 20 May, 2014
Hey Macklong,
Have you posted anything on the Pioneer forums about this yet? And has Pulse seen or responded to you about possibly a new firmware update that can fix this. My unit is still being repaired at Pioneer. I sent them your video and a link to this forum. When I called today they said that they fixed the jog wheels and they are still working on this issue and they are not sure how much longer they will have it. If I here back from them about them finding a fix for this I will let you know. But I think this issue is whats holding up my repair and hopefully they are using my SZ to figure this out. I will keep you posted.
jroc453 6:57 PM - 20 May, 2014
Did you download the new Pioneer Firmware 1.15?pioneerdj.com
djmacklong 10:20 PM - 20 May, 2014
Thank you for following up with the link to 1.15. Yesterday the only firmware update that was available was 1.12, so that's likely my problem.

And I sent Pulse a direct message with a link to this thread and he never responded to me, or posted here.
jroc453 10:38 PM - 20 May, 2014
Alright... Then get to downloading and let us know if it's any better!!! Mine just got to stage 3 at pioneer so I hope it ships by the end of the week. Keep us posted.
djmacklong 10:40 PM - 20 May, 2014
hey look at that...downloaded the firmware update, run the file, and it says my SZ is NOT connected...except that it is. This is getting more wonderful by the day.
djmacklong 10:44 PM - 20 May, 2014
Also, am I the only one that doesn't have a panel for a device buffer in my SDJ software when my SZ is connected? All I have is an audio latency buffer.
jroc453 10:45 PM - 20 May, 2014
Oh man... You're joking right? Wtf?
jroc453 10:46 PM - 20 May, 2014
Call pioneer. They are still open. See what they say. That's BS!!
djmacklong 12:25 AM - 21 May, 2014
I got it installed. It's working FLAWLESSLY!!! Ugh. It took too long, but I'm happy now. Seriously...ecstatic.
jroc453 12:34 AM - 21 May, 2014
Wow!!! Awesome news!!! I guess they finally got it!
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:05 AM - 21 May, 2014
Sweet, all good! Happy it's all sorted. Shall we close this thread now or can i assist with anything further?

Regards
Dave W