Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Sync Folders to Crates with "update library" option

Dj Ricky Redz 4:43 PM - 10 January, 2014
For those dis that do not use iTunes and has all their music organised in folders.

this would be a great feature to add as you can update a folder with some tracks and just click "update library" and new tracks would be added.

similar to what itch-sync or serato-sync does.
Bornd Fono 3:41 AM - 13 January, 2014
+1
Bornd Fono 3:45 AM - 13 January, 2014
Or what even would be better is a function where I can select a folder and declare it as the root folder of my music library. Then the programm creates my crates based on this folder... for every sub-folder... there is a sub-crate created and all the music found in a folder is automaticly added to the related crate. This would be a HUGE time saver!! and I think it's possible to program this as a third party program not running as a function in the main program. So no worrys about the stabilty issue of the main program needed!
Dub-Se7en 3:29 PM - 13 January, 2014
+1 for both ideas
Dj Ricky Redz 9:51 PM - 15 January, 2014
+1

Quote:
Or what even would be better is a function where I can select a folder and declare it as the root folder of my music library. Then the programm creates my crates based on this folder... for every sub-folder... there is a sub-crate created and all the music found in a folder is automaticly added to the related crate. This would be a HUGE time saver!! and I think it's possible to program this as a third party program not running as a function in the main program. So no worrys about the stabilty issue of the main program needed!

I think this should be implemented in offline mode.

Hope they're seeing this!
Willrock 11:39 AM - 26 February, 2014
+1
DJCY 1:36 AM - 28 February, 2014
+1
Fl!ped 6:00 PM - 1 March, 2014
yeah, i don't want to pay for other products that offer better crate functionality, it's basic we get it in our SW
+100
Bornd Fono 3:27 PM - 2 March, 2014
With "third party program" I didn't mean that I it should cost money... the fact is that every single change in the main program has to be made VERY carfully and be tested a lot to assure stability (which is very importand for the guys at serato - they really got a good reputation when it comes to this!). But a function which builds your crates and saves them into the specific format serato created doesn't need to be part of the main program I think... so it should be possible to implement this without risking stabilty what really should be a time saver for the programmers!
VictorMike 5:35 PM - 2 March, 2014
1+
DJ Trice 2:57 PM - 3 March, 2014
+1000
DJ Trice 2:57 PM - 3 March, 2014
I will add that this request exist since SSL...
Jensen Määäm 10:17 PM - 6 March, 2014
+1
DJ FANDOS 1:15 AM - 7 March, 2014
100+
ojgbagg27 5:08 AM - 9 March, 2014
+100
DjZezarFlow 8:05 AM - 9 March, 2014
+10000
Paco71 11:55 PM - 9 March, 2014
+1000000
Dj Ricky Redz 7:50 PM - 11 March, 2014
keep them coming till they implement it!!!
DjZezarFlow 3:26 AM - 12 March, 2014
938MyDJ 6:38 PM - 12 March, 2014
+1
Tobi P 5:11 PM - 13 March, 2014
+1
Propper 10:24 PM - 15 March, 2014
+1

I've been using other DJ-Software (namely VDJ) for years now and recently bought a new controller with Serato support. The database was the first thing that really made me think "wtf is this?", as I have my music sorted in many different (sub-)folders on my HDD.
I rebuilt my folder structure inside Serato DJ manually, which is okay because it's a one-time-work, but it really should automatically update the crates with the tracks inside the folders they refer to. It would be such a HUUUGEE time saver if you don't have to drag-and-drop every single folder to the correspondent crate every time you download new music.
djsaxsax 10:59 PM - 16 March, 2014
+1.000.000
Johnny.S 6:42 AM - 19 March, 2014
Wow I Hate ITUNES and this is how I have my music organized!

I am down if you guys are Down

1+ on feature serato =)
Raysemup 11:49 PM - 12 April, 2014
!! Amen .. Why hasn't this been done already .. holy smokes! This is a major issue having to re drop in music files every time I get new music.
FatCash 1:03 PM - 11 May, 2014
+1
Felipereis50 6:49 PM - 11 May, 2014
+1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:29 PM - 11 May, 2014
This would be awesome, we've been discussing how best it could work. Not ETA for you I'm afraid but it's good to see how popular a request this is.
DJCY 3:26 AM - 12 May, 2014
Yes, this should be at the top of next update, I hate having to delete and redrag my crates, should have SDJ automatically scan crates for new tracks as option in settings
Deejae Smooth 3:17 PM - 12 May, 2014
Library management should definitely be addressed. I like the idea of specifying a "root" folder and the software just adds anything new in that folder; I personally don't want a crate for each folder on the hard drive.

When I add new videos each week, I have to put them in a folder for that week so that I can find them when I hit the files button in the software. I wouldn't have to do this if I could just specify one "root" folder on the external hard drive that contains my videos and have Serato Dj check that folder each time it loads to see if any new files were added.

Hard to believe something so simple wasn't added a long time ago.
Dj matty k 12:22 AM - 18 May, 2014
+ 1
papagp 12:24 PM - 18 May, 2014
+1
Dj MacMillz 8:01 PM - 18 May, 2014
Quote:
Yes, this should be at the top of next update, I hate having to delete and redrag my crates, should have SDJ automatically scan crates for new tracks as option in settings

You don't have to delete and re-drag, just drag the folder onto the crate with the same name, it will only add the new files, and won't duplicate the files already added.
H2H 10:02 AM - 19 May, 2014
+1
DJCY 12:44 AM - 2 June, 2014
+1

also support for large libraries would be nice when this is added.
Davideon 3:31 PM - 2 June, 2014
+1
Davideon 3:56 PM - 2 June, 2014
Quote:

Definitely agree with this
DJ Elvis Lee 1:51 AM - 8 June, 2014
Quote:

+10000
whitenite 9:17 AM - 10 June, 2014
+1000000000000000

This is my BIGGEST gripe with Serato over the past few years.

"Feeding" my Serato with new music is pure agony. Takes AGES. Drag and drop each folder to a new crate etc... I should be able to copy tunes to the root folders on my drive and then click auto update in Serato and have it search for any new files added after date X/X/XXXX and add them to corresponding crate

The difficulty comes when one copies a tune to several different crates after that, but like Bornd Fono said why not let each tune in the database have a single "ROOT" folder that corresponds with where that file actually exists on my HDD ? The other crates it exists in are merely a database entry

I'm worried that it's too late to add this feature, as this would mean a massive overhaul....

Say it aint so Serato ;(

The reverse would be great as well - an export/cleanup function. Export ALL my crates, named as they are in Serato, to folders on my hard drive. As above, some tunes will exist in many crates - but Serato could just copy that tune to the FIRST crate/folder it appears in (if it doesnt already have a ROOT folder specified).

Here is my other big gripe: serato.com
Felipereis50 1:37 PM - 12 June, 2014
Quote:
+1000000000000000

This is my BIGGEST gripe with Serato over the past few years.

"Feeding" my Serato with new music is pure agony. Takes AGES. Drag and drop each folder to a new crate etc... I should be able to copy tunes to the root folders on my drive and then click auto update in Serato and have it search for any new files added after date X/X/XXXX and add them to corresponding crate

The difficulty comes when one copies a tune to several different crates after that, but like Bornd Fono said why not let each tune in the database have a single "ROOT" folder that corresponds with where that file actually exists on my HDD ? The other crates it exists in are merely a database entry

I'm worried that it's too late to add this feature, as this would mean a massive overhaul....

Say it aint so Serato ;(

The reverse would be great as well - an export/cleanup function. Export ALL my crates, named as they are in Serato, to folders on my hard drive. As above, some tunes will exist in many crates - but Serato could just copy that tune to the FIRST crate/folder it appears in (if it doesnt already have a ROOT folder specified).

Here is my other big gripe: serato.com
Gmitt 1:34 PM - 15 August, 2014
+1
This has seriously bugged me since i started using Serato. Listen to the users and get on it!
ojgbagg27 10:25 PM - 9 September, 2014
+100000000
I fully stand behind all users of SDJ in regards to having SDJ updates it's library from where ever the music is stored
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:26 AM - 11 September, 2014
This software can sync folders to crates alchimiedj.com i know its another software and you would like it built into SDJ.
But until they do that this will be good for you guys.
JohnGordeff 8:59 AM - 24 September, 2014
Up to yesterday and realizing the only way to update the songs in the crates was to delete them then re-add them, I was baffled at how to do this. Now I realize that this is the only way! I'm a new user to Serato and I have to agree with every idea in here and really urge Serato to implement this in some way. Like Ricky, I am not a Itunes user and keep my music in folders.

Please Serato, help us.
healer 9:44 AM - 19 October, 2014
I, too, had this problem when I came to Serato as a new user. I rummaged the internet until I finally came across a piece of code (could have been on SourceForge) someone had written for Scratch Live or Itch (can't remember which). I copied and modified the code slightly to get it to work for me. What I have now is the ability to replace my entire Serato Library with the folder of my choice, at the click of a button. The crates mimic the folder structure so everything is always where I put it, and when I add new files, I just run the Sync again.

Use at your own risk: www72.zippyshare.com
Make sure to read the ReadMe and make a backup of your library before you start in case anything goes awry.

-healer
DJ Pete Russo 6:24 PM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
I, too, had this problem when I came to Serato as a new user. I rummaged the internet until I finally came across a piece of code (could have been on SourceForge) someone had written for Scratch Live or Itch (can't remember which). I copied and modified the code slightly to get it to work for me. What I have now is the ability to replace my entire Serato Library with the folder of my choice, at the click of a button. The crates mimic the folder structure so everything is always where I put it, and when I add new files, I just run the Sync again.

Make sure to read the ReadMe and make a backup of your library before you start in case anything goes awry.

-healer

Hi Healer,

Would this work for both PC and Mac? I'm planning on using this on PC running Windows 7.

I also agree 1000000000% they should make this a part of Serato - it's one of the reasons it took me this long to switch over from other DJing software that automatically does this.
DJ Pete Russo 4:59 PM - 22 October, 2014
Update: the script works - just make sure you follow the ReadMe file.

Searto - Please intergrate this into your next update - its a very simple function that would make our life easier and have a more enjoyable experience transferring from other DJing software!
healer 5:43 AM - 31 October, 2014
Hey Pete,

I'm completely unfamiliar with Mac, so this is Windows only.

Glad it worked for you (and impressed that you could follow my poorly written instructions). ;-)
Heltino 7:33 AM - 31 October, 2014
+1

That is one of the features I´m really missing after the change from Traktor to Serato.
In Traktor it´s simple:
Just add new tracks to the "music folder" (defined in Traktor as source of music) and at the start Traktor checks for changes/new files and add them to the collection.
Analyse is as well triggered then by auto.
CJ DJ 12:25 AM - 8 November, 2014
+1
H2H 1:56 PM - 10 November, 2014
UP.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:06 PM - 10 November, 2014
+1
O Malley 3:09 PM - 11 November, 2014
Quote:
Update: the script works - just make sure you follow the ReadMe file.

Searto - Please intergrate this into your next update - its a very simple function that would make our life easier and have a more enjoyable experience transferring from other DJing software!

Anyone tried this with windows 8 ?

It doesn't work for me :(
O Malley 3:54 PM - 11 November, 2014
well it works now, it creates the library in serato but if I try to open a file it says it can't find the file in C: eventhough the source folder is in D: ...... ??

anyone had this issue or knows a workaround ?
DMT 12:28 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
+1

That is one of the features I´m really missing after the change from Traktor to Serato.
In Traktor it´s simple:
Just add new tracks to the "music folder" (defined in Traktor as source of music) and at the start Traktor checks for changes/new files and add them to the collection.
Analyse is as well triggered then by auto.

+1
Murkster-Dubez 4:23 AM - 24 November, 2014
I currently use Alchimie Zinc but this should be a basic feature within serato, come on guys.
Nacho Ruiz 2:43 PM - 24 November, 2014
+1
DJNRG2K 4:11 AM - 30 November, 2014
+1
molina1 6:13 AM - 30 November, 2014
Definitely would like this in an update in the near future.
Babilonian 1:42 PM - 5 January, 2015
Quote:

-healer

Hey Healer,
I tried using the sync method you mentioned and It's not working.
I am using windows 8
I changed the paths as mentioned, but it's not doing anything to my library..
Questions, does Serato need to be open or closed when running the action ?
Also, I'm fairly new to this (its a hobby, got a DDJ-SR for my Bday 2 yeeks ago) is this action for Serato DJ or the older Serato software Itch?
Thanks for your help if you can get it..
RP
Deejay Willy 5:36 AM - 20 April, 2015
DJ Pete Russo
YOU ARE A TIME SAVOIR
SIMPLY YOU ARE GR8
Thx For The Gr8 Gr8 Info Bro
You Made My Use Serato For The First Time Ever Since Am Djing 23 Years Ago
Once Again THX
Deejay Willy 4:40 PM - 20 April, 2015
hi all
i made what you told us to do but a problem came up
every time i open serato it keep missing the files location
and when i relocate them and serato replaces them i shut serato off and when i open serato again it wont save the files location so i have to relocate them again every time i start serato
any idea what am missing or doing wrong
thx in advance all
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:44 PM - 20 April, 2015
Quote:
hi all
and when i relocate them and serato replaces them i shut serato off and when i open serato again it wont save the files location so i have to relocate them again every time i start serato
thx in advance all

What laptop mac or pc? Do you use an external harddrive?
Deejay Willy 4:45 PM - 20 April, 2015
sorry for the wrong post witch meant to healer
was tooo exited looool
HEALER
YOU ARE A TIME SAVOIR
SIMPLY YOU ARE GR8
Once Again THX
musiclee 6:39 PM - 20 April, 2015
i think this 1 feature alone should be added in 1.7.5, along with fixing any bugs from 1.7.4

the alchimiedj program looks pretty cool, but this should be incorporated into SDJ and be automatic, right click a crate, or ALL, and BAM, everything gets added/sync'd
healer 1:32 PM - 29 April, 2015
Quote:
sorry for the wrong post witch meant to healer
was tooo exited looool
HEALER
YOU ARE A TIME SAVOIR
SIMPLY YOU ARE GR8
Once Again THX

No problem, Willy. As I said, I can't really take any credit as I didn't write the code myself...just re-purposed it a little.

I personally haven't tried the script on Windows 8 yet. I just recently moved to Windows 8.1 from Win7 and have been outta the DJ game for a few months. I'll give it a try and see if I pick up any issues.
Babilonian 2:24 PM - 6 June, 2015
Hi Healer,
Did you get the chance to use the action on your Windows 8.1 device yet, any luck?
After waiting for 6 months here for a solution, I figured I'd go and buy Alchemie Zinc software to sync my music. But is seems it only supports Windows XP and Window 7...
So again my last resource is you.... :)
Deejay Willy 9:14 PM - 9 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
hi all
thx in advance all

What laptop mac or pc? Do you use an external harddrive?

its pc and my music in in the laptop internal harddrive
deejdave 1:09 PM - 11 June, 2015
Auto Import.............
serato.com
Not a total fix but something in the meantime.............
musiclee 2:02 PM - 11 June, 2015
let's just put our songs in the actual folders (explorer)
and have SDJ scan upon boot or when we tell it to

can this be so hard to implement?
it's a no brainer and should have been part of SDJ 1.0 Beta
Murkster-Dubez 10:02 PM - 15 June, 2015
Quote:
Hi Healer,
Did you get the chance to use the action on your Windows 8.1 device yet, any luck?
After waiting for 6 months here for a solution, I figured I'd go and buy Alchemie Zinc software to sync my music. But is seems it only supports Windows XP and Window 7...
So again my last resource is you.... :)

Hey i tried the alchemie zinc trial on a surface pro 3 running windows 8.1 and it worked with no issues
ojgbagg27 4:17 AM - 25 June, 2015
I tried it on my computer win8.1 Pro and no problem for me too
vj tech.sys 8:31 PM - 30 June, 2015
why has picking and choosing directories for crates been such an issue in any version of Serato? I don't understand why having Serato DJ create subcrates when you drag a folder over to the left has eluded the programmers for over a decade. not to sound snarky, but with the all of the faults Virtual DJ has, accessing folders the way I have them organized, the number of folders and crates i have, and playing more than two types of video files aren't issues.
Deejay Willy 9:24 PM - 30 June, 2015
yeah but virtual dj doesn't not have faults as you say its a gr8 software to use once you master it
just YouTube echo papa and see how its easy to use software
and it doesn't mean that serato in not good
actually serato is as good as virtual dj but at the end its a personal reference
Deejae Smooth 10:35 PM - 30 June, 2015
There are a LOT of options for personalization in VJ8 that don't exist in Serato DJ.

Just saying..
vj tech.sys 11:03 PM - 30 June, 2015
I used to use VDJ very regularly, and still use it at one of my gigs. The faults are stability issues. i've had VDJ crash on me way more than Serato SL or DJ.
VDJ8 has some cool things going on, and seems a bit more solid than 7, i will give it that.
Deejae Smooth 11:22 PM - 30 June, 2015
how much time have you spent with VDJ8 and on PC or Mac?
Deejay Willy 2:04 PM - 1 July, 2015
i spent nearly 15 years on VDJ since the VDJ 5 release but with VDJ 8 Nearly Since The First Release As An Update
At First VDJ 6 Has crashed with me a couple of times and i figured why
because it was a cracked
so when i bout VDJ it never crashed on me ever since
even that while i mix i use VDJ heavenly by mixing songs and samples and adding effects at the same time
just give it a try
vj tech.sys 11:12 PM - 1 July, 2015
i've played with VDJ8 on both mac and pc. and i will say that i've spent about 10 hours total on both
Deejae Smooth 12:15 AM - 2 July, 2015
I used VDJ on a Mac a couple of years ago and had no problem with the stability of the software but every time I would click into the search box and hit the first letter of a search, you could actually hear a split second stutter on whatever track was playing.

That one problem caused me to go back to Scratch Live/Itch whatever it was at the time by Serato.

I'm looking at VDJ8 because this last Saturday during a gig, Serato 1.7.5 had a midi problem with my DDJ-SX and I had two seconds of dead air and that just doesn't fly under any circumstances.
deej808 7:23 AM - 17 July, 2015
+100 lots and lots of time spend re-syncing crates to matching folders!
gotlunch 6:27 PM - 17 July, 2015
Bump - How Serato has not implemented this already is beyond me.
musiclee 6:37 PM - 17 July, 2015
another one of those must have features for me as well!!!

+ infinity
OllyDowning 7:41 PM - 8 August, 2015
+ ∞

Nice to see Serato are listening to their customers... I don' think. Anything to say about this guys? Gonna guess not.
Deejae Smooth 8:35 PM - 8 August, 2015
I'm checking out the new Rekordbox as part of the early adopter program so we'll see if they have a clue on issues like this..
OllyDowning 8:42 PM - 8 August, 2015
Quote:
I'm checking out the new Rekordbox as part of the early adopter program so we'll see if they have a clue on issues like this..

Fantastic - will look forward to a report back! Is this an open program for anyone to join or do you have to be chosen? Wouldn't mind a look myself.
Davideon 8:50 PM - 8 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Fantastic - will look forward to a report back! Is this an open program for anyone to join or do you have to be chosen? Wouldn't mind a look myself.

The application window has closed
OllyDowning 9:12 PM - 8 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The application window has closed

Thats a shame - thank you for letting me know!
Deejae Smooth 12:38 PM - 10 August, 2015
My summary would be that they're just getting started with it. I'm not even sure it's at Beta stage yet giving all the issues reported. I think it'll be 2016 before a final version might be ready.
grkdre 1:36 AM - 25 August, 2015
Quote:
For those dis that do not use iTunes and has all their music organised in folders.

this would be a great feature to add as you can update a folder with some tracks and just click "update library" and new tracks would be added.

similar to what itch-sync or serato-sync does.

+1!!!!!
grkdre 1:37 AM - 25 August, 2015
Quote:

+1+1+1+1+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
H2H 8:33 AM - 24 September, 2015
Up & Up again !
Plz Serato can you at least tell us if we can expect to see this feature in SDJ or not ?
H2H 12:07 PM - 16 October, 2015
Do we have to wait for ADE 2050 announcement for this feature ?

Before adding a fu$@#g Pulselocker Integration (personally I don't care about that, but perhaps I'm the only one), I think that you should integrate the "basic of basic" feature that your users ask you for a long time...
romie rangel 1:13 PM - 16 October, 2015
+1000, I add new music to my library almost everyday, I'm always trying to find a better way to do it but end up with the same old thing, mostly deleting folders and re-adding them, ROOT folder is a MUST
vj tech.sys 8:18 PM - 16 October, 2015
I've also noticed that the usual Serato people that comment on just about everything else are pretty quiet on this thread... just an observation
DJ Frank Stallone 8:20 PM - 16 October, 2015
+1 Sounds like a simple feature to implement
vj tech.sys 8:28 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
+1 Sounds like a simple feature to implement

right?!
if Virtual DJ, the evil scourge of the DJ industry can do it....
deejdave 9:28 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
I've also noticed that the usual Serato people that comment on just about everything else are pretty quiet on this thread... just an observation

Could be a sign.
H2H 9:32 PM - 17 October, 2015
Been almost two years since this thread started...
What do we have to do to have an answer by serato ???
Ouhouhou Serato... Are you here ?
DJD-Money 5:52 AM - 19 October, 2015
+1
H2H 12:21 PM - 19 October, 2015
Good news Serato is "aware" : serato.com

This request exists since SSL... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Be welcomed, we got an answer...

To win some time, I will contact another guy : Dear Santa, ...
if that doesn't work with him I give up :o))))
DjBliZz 7:02 AM - 20 October, 2015
+1

Link folder to crate option. Every time SDJ loads the library, it scans for tracks in chosen folder to display in chosen linked crate. Could even just be a Smart Crate rule really. Not every crate needs to be linked to a folder. Once this is implemented, a file rename feature using any ID3 tag information in any order as well as any specific text. This way, you can download new tracks, put them in your different folders, scan them into SDJ library, analyze, tighten up ID3 tags, and your files can all be nice and neat for when exporting crates to an external drive using the Files tab. We really need this folder-crate link feature if we ever want to solve other library maintenance issues. They seem like pretty simple tasks for the offline player to handle.
H2H 9:58 PM - 4 November, 2015
+2
serato.com
serato.com

C'mon Serato !!!
Veks 8:44 AM - 5 November, 2015
+1
Heltino 7:05 PM - 5 November, 2015
+100

had this again yesterday.....
purchased music, the files are structured on my HDD folder based (of course) and I was forced to add some keywords to the comment tags to have it sorted into my smart crates.
sucks. just ONE easy parameter would solve a lot of issues and gives flexibility within the combination.
"located in folder"

example:
added after XYZ + genre = House + located in folder XYZ.....

so you could purchase at different stores, backup the files in a folder structure AND have them sorted by auto in your smart crates.

a dream would be as well to have the option that all files that are sorted into smart crates are analyzed by auto....

that is the dream team. just purchase stuff, save within your folder structure and SDJ will add and analyze them as soon as you start in offline mode.

can´t be rocket sience...
Heltino 7:08 PM - 5 November, 2015
by the way: Traktor does this since "forever". Just tell Traktor where your music folder is and at each start Traktor adds and analyses new files by auto. (including sub folders!)

this "folder whatch" at Traktor is perfect, but Traktor has no smart crates
SDJ has perfect smart crates and forces you to add and search new music all the time as there is no auto update of the library.
deejdave 9:10 PM - 5 November, 2015
I just hope if/when this ever happens we can still use multiple libraries and clones/backups as easily as we can with Serato.

I know many peeps like to post who has this library feature down but anyone happen to know if ANY other software is able to do this? I mean I know VDJ technically can but I am asking more for the performance DJ apps. I use quite a few and none have this capability as far as I know.
H2H 1:30 PM - 6 November, 2015
I think that it's easy to add a third type of crate, to keep "crate" and "smart crate", and add "folder crate".
If you want to manage your music like now, you can.
My vision of the use will be the following :
- Go to setup
- Select "Enable folder crate"
- Choose your root folder
- Select or not "Auto update at opening"
- Select or not "Auto analyse new file"

If "Folder crate" is enabled a third crate button next to "smart crate" is activated and you can click on it to udpate folder crates manually.
So SDJ will create crates and sub-crates like your folders structure.
leecher88 5:13 PM - 6 November, 2015
Come on Serato we all give you our money and what happened so many simple features you dont have..... Please make this feature !!!
Colemang70 9:11 AM - 7 November, 2015
+1,000,000 to both Ideas. My two cents would be in the config file for serato a line(s) of code allow for music directory root location(s) like you can do in your competitors' dj software. the update entire library addition would like making one root smart folder/location which eliminate a dj(s) having load all of these additional third party softwares; also we as djs got to remember the most features more processing on our cpu and ram required just to get the application running. We want slim/stable dj application or we want a bloated hummer application. there will be tradeoffs either way. Its just my few pennies.
janisfreimanis 1:00 PM - 10 November, 2015
+1
nicolascav 5:56 AM - 4 December, 2015
+1 please!
serkan 11:06 AM - 5 December, 2015
Quote:
I think that it's easy to add a third type of crate, to keep "crate" and "smart crate", and add "folder crate".
- Go to setup

If "Folder crate" is enabled a third crate button next to "smart crate" is activated and you can click on it to udpate folder crates manually.

Make that crate green! :)
I like that idea.
H2H 11:00 PM - 7 December, 2015
I confirm the green color !
But how long we are going to beg Serato for this feature ??? :o((
monkeyfunk 8:24 AM - 8 December, 2015
Adding my plus 1 to this - great idea
PopRoXxX 5:16 PM - 11 December, 2015
+100!
DJ Busy ZA 9:01 AM - 14 December, 2015
+100

This feature is the single reason that will get me to move permanently to SDJ. I cannot spend all that time just trying to locate my new tracks. And seriously it is not rocket science..
sfalta 11:13 AM - 14 December, 2015
+1
MurdoX 8:48 AM - 16 December, 2015
+1
dangate 2:37 PM - 16 December, 2015
Sigh me up. Again, how hard is this Serato. This has been going on for years. Listen to your customers.
vj tech.sys 12:19 AM - 17 December, 2015
Quote:
Sigh me up. Again, how hard is this Serato. This has been going on for years. Listen to your customers.

seriously, if Virtual DJ can do it...
dangate 7:34 AM - 17 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

seriously, if Virtual DJ can do it...

if some random guy on the internet can do it....
vj tech.sys 10:02 PM - 17 December, 2015
Quote:

yep...
code.google.com
H2H 10:31 AM - 24 February, 2016
I've re-organized a part of my music last week and naturally I had to do it twice !
One time on the files sytem side and a second time on the serato side...

I couldn't use serato sync java program for that, because a majority of the concerned files were flac files and serato sync ignore this file format.

So, perhaps one day : serato.com
Christopher Garcia 17 11:08 AM - 24 February, 2016
+1
DjZezarFlow 2:34 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

yep...
code.google.com

Thank you a lot for the info!
vj tech.sys 12:05 AM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
Thank you a lot for the info!

no problem, just sucks that it doesn't work with flac, because i'm starting to switch over to that now for my audio
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:15 AM - 25 February, 2016
denoizer 8:56 AM - 25 February, 2016
+ 1.000.000.............000.000

:)
H2H 9:54 AM - 25 February, 2016
AlchimieDj do the job, but why should we have to pay for something who should be a native feature ?

Library/Music management is a big part of the work of the DJs, Music is the raw material.
Before integrate a streaming platform like Pulselocker (many Djs really have an interest for this feature ?), I think that it should be possible for us to manage our Music more easier (natively)...
vj tech.sys 6:41 PM - 3 March, 2016
Quote:
Before integrate a streaming platform like Pulselocker (many Djs really have an interest for this feature ?), I think that it should be possible for us to manage our Music more easier (natively)...

i couldn't agree more... i have a MUCH bigger interest in using Spotify in SDJ, than having to pay for ANOTHER service that doesn't even have that big of a library right now.

And really, the music management in both SSL and SDJ is the poorest i've ever seen. Instead of worrying about Flip and other plug-ins, they really need to get this basic thing nailed down.

I paid quite a bit of money for my SL-4, and plenty of people have paid a lot of money to access SSL and SDJ, we shouldn't have to pay even MORE money to do something as basic as manage our library worth a damn, especially since most of us have already put in the time and effort to get it organized in the first place.
popnwave 12:09 AM - 4 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i couldn't agree more... i have a MUCH bigger interest in using Spotify in SDJ, than having to pay for ANOTHER service that doesn't even have that big of a library right now.

And really, the music management in both SSL and SDJ is the poorest i've ever seen. Instead of worrying about Flip and other plug-ins, they really need to get this basic thing nailed down.

I paid quite a bit of money for my SL-4, and plenty of people have paid a lot of money to access SSL and SDJ, we shouldn't have to pay even MORE money to do something as basic as manage our library worth a damn, especially since most of us have already put in the time and effort to get it organized in the first place.

Sell your stuff and go to Traktor. Buying hardware doesn't you entitle to squat sadly, and if you didn't research the ecosystem before purchase that's your problem.
vj tech.sys 11:56 PM - 4 March, 2016
Quote:
Sell your stuff and go to Traktor. Buying hardware doesn't you entitle to squat sadly, and if you didn't research the ecosystem before purchase that's your problem.

no, I'd rather be a pain in Serato's side about this, but thanks for the input
DJ Wendel Lemos 4:09 PM - 7 March, 2016
Hey guys, I have edited de code of itch-sync-0-1-4 to support various file formats like FLAC, AIFF, MP4, AVI, etc and I renamed it to itch-sync-0-1-5, I hope to have helped you guys.

Here is the link to download
mega.nz!qo4Umb7Y <-(copy the entire link to you browser address bar)

Here is the link how to Sync folders to crates with itch-sync
Watchwww.youtube.com

Sorry my bad english ;)
DJ Wendel Lemos 4:18 PM - 7 March, 2016
Sorry here the working link

mega.nz!qo4Umb7Y!c5Z993LApCAD4HK4rvDn6MhKhjJnKERCPen99gpjWb0
deejdave 4:20 PM - 7 March, 2016
Neither of them work
DJ Wendel Lemos 7:10 PM - 7 March, 2016
Try

h t t p s : / / mega.nz/#!qo4Umb7Y!c5Z993LApCAD4HK4rvDn6MhKhjJnKERCPen99gpjWb0

without spaces
deejdave 7:36 PM - 7 March, 2016
There ya go. I don't personally need this but the link is working for all who will.
Fl!ped 7:43 PM - 7 March, 2016
yes it works, about to test
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:43 PM - 7 March, 2016
Does this work for you all? tinyurl.com
Fl!ped 7:47 PM - 7 March, 2016
test successful on yosemite with latest serato dj beta 1.9.x
deejdave 8:22 PM - 7 March, 2016
Quote:
Does this work for you all? tinyurl.com

LOL yup
siel.de.laere@hotmail.com 9:40 PM - 7 March, 2016
+1

This is by far my biggest upset (next to audio dropouts) with Serato.
I think I have a pretty efficient way of organizing my folders, but my god if I could get the time back that I have put into placing my new music into the right crates...

Make it happen, baby!
DjZezarFlow 5:53 AM - 8 March, 2016
Thank you a lot!!
vj tech.sys 8:10 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
Hey guys, I have edited de code of itch-sync-0-1-4 to support various file formats like FLAC, AIFF, MP4, AVI, etc and I renamed it to itch-sync-0-1-5, I hope to have helped you guys.

going to try this now.
this is MUCH appreciated!
vj tech.sys 12:00 AM - 9 March, 2016
OK, i ran the itch-sync-0-1-5, and it worked like a charm with FLAC files!

Thanks again for the update!
H2H 1:08 PM - 9 March, 2016
Broken link for me :o((
And you ?
vj tech.sys 1:10 PM - 9 March, 2016
Quote:
Broken link for me :o((
And you ?

Use the tiny.url link above
H2H 6:48 PM - 9 March, 2016
ok it's better, thx.
chaum 6:01 AM - 3 April, 2016
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

This is a pretty laughable flaw, it effectively makes every single user spend TWICE AS LONG organizing their music...(yeah unless itunes, gtfo with itunes most people organize their music in OPERATING SYSTEM FOLDERS)

Based on this and a few other issues I've seen where they do nothing, I seriously can't wait till I can get some CDJs and be done with this stupid program.
siel.de.laere@hotmail.com 10:32 AM - 3 April, 2016
I also think that it's not a very hard thing to do, programming wise. So agreed, the fact that this isn't possible yet and it doesn't look like it will soon is pretty stupid.
D.J. Tommy 7:46 PM - 5 June, 2016
Why is Serato not making an option named Folder Crate!
I'm not seeing any serious response from Serato on this!
This is my biggest problem with working with Serato.
You always need a medium to store your Music on, and that medium needs to be organized.
Serato thinks that you throw your music in one big pile of music folder, and let Serato do it.
But a serious DJ needs to listen, buy, record and download a lot! of music that needs a filing system on the medium. The best is that Serato reflects that structure on that folder or storage!
Smart crates are then more useful in getting the latest releases or other choices in specific created crates.
The way it now is is chaotic, and makes me think to switch just to playing on CDJ's or other software.
And yes i also have Alchimie Zinc, and it's a hassle!!!!

Hope to hear from you Serato!!!!!!!!

SO I HOPE FOR A SERIOUS REACTION FROM SERATO ON THIS.
H2H 11:03 AM - 7 June, 2016
Quote:
SO I HOPE FOR A SERIOUS REACTION FROM SERATO ON THIS.

+1000000
Jesse I 7:15 AM - 14 June, 2016
Yes please, this feature is so long overdue it's ridiculous.

On a similar note, has anyone tried using Alchimie Zinc with Windows 10?
vj tech.sys 5:18 PM - 20 June, 2016
the way i look at it now, they can't even get some of the core stuff working in SDJ without issues... not sure we should expect them to add even something else (that other dj software programs have been doing for 10+ years) into the mix, and not expect even more issues.

i've been wanting this feature since the SSL days, but with the issues that can't seem to be fixed, this might need to sit on the backburner for a bit.

i've been using serato itch sync for years, and while not as easy as just specifying your folder and letting serato do the work, it's been reliable, and not affected the performance of SSL in any way. and it's free. google it.
vj tech.sys 5:19 PM - 20 June, 2016
Quote:
On a similar note, has anyone tried using Alchimie Zinc with Windows 10?

it *should* work fine since it worked with Win7, but i only used the trial version in 7
Jesse I 12:54 AM - 22 June, 2016
FWIW, I can now confirm Alchimie Zinc works perfectly on Windows 10.

I never got any responses to my emails from Alchimie though, so it does appear they've abandoned support for the software, which is a shame.
Harddried 1:20 PM - 22 June, 2016
+1
vj tech.sys 10:11 PM - 24 June, 2016
Quote:
it does appear they've abandoned support for the software, which is a shame.

that's a little disheartening for a paid product... makes me not want to purchase it
Futuretek 2:49 AM - 28 June, 2016
+1000! this is a feature that ive asked about for years!
OllyDowning 6:27 PM - 30 June, 2016
How has this still not been implemented... I do like serato (to an extent) but its so bloody infuriating when the developers don't listen to their customers due to laziness or whatever it is that prevents them from doing anything remotely suggested. Why do we even expect anything we suggest to be added anymore, they are too busy on working on features that other software has had for years (Traktor has had hardware remapping for donkeys). Rant over.

TL;DR? Add it^
H2H 10:02 AM - 27 October, 2016
Quote:
- Go to setup

To help you (Serato) remember how to implement this feature...
LucaPedonese 10:21 AM - 27 October, 2016
+1
maydo 5:35 PM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
- Go to setup

To help you (Serato) remember how to implement this feature...

+ 10000 :)

this feature is been discussed last 10 years :)
the hope is the last to give up )) maybee next 10 years
djBooker 3:19 AM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:

+1K
djBooker 3:22 AM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
How has this still not been implemented... I do like serato (to an extent) but its so bloody infuriating when the developers don't listen to their customers due to laziness or whatever it is that prevents them from doing anything remotely suggested. Why do we even expect anything we suggest to be added anymore, they are too busy on working on features that other software has had for years (Traktor has had hardware remapping for donkeys). Rant over.

TL;DR? Add it^

+2K
djBooker 3:23 AM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
it does appear they've abandoned support for the software, which is a shame.

that's a little disheartening for a paid product... makes me not want to purchase it

+3K
PolishKluubMafia 9:51 AM - 16 February, 2017
Quote:
lder of my music library. Then the programm creates my crates based on this folder... for

+1000000000

So annoying when i add new music to my library, I have to also add it into each crate!
Especially if I have quite a few updates

Do Serato actually look at this Forum??
djmsagar 3:20 PM - 18 February, 2017
+1

Basic requirement! It's perhaps a huge reason why I'm not 100% Serato converted. Don't have the time to get music, sort it in folders and then have to (remember where first! then) add things manually into Serato from within subfolders where you've sorted new music.

Like Traktor, watch folders and add folders and subfolders auto on import or start-up. Auto sort in crates/sub-crates in this case, as suggested originally, even better! It would cut out gig-prep time when wanting/needing to use Serato by... ALOT. Time is valuable.

Personally I believe folder sorting is so much easier and fluid, especially if you DJ mixed-genres and certain parties, where you can't go prepared with a couple playlists/crates and have a good gig. At gigs like these, you are relying on your folders, and your memory of where you put things, rather than sift through thousands of tracks, to play something that might just work at that moment.
D.J. Tommy 8:25 AM - 20 February, 2017
Had contact with Aaron about it, after posting about it some time ago.
He told me it"s not easy to implement.
Maybe they don't have the know how to do it?
Or have trouble choosing a method.
I get a amateur feeling about the developing implementing strategies of Serato.
Or they have spaghetti coded their Software so much that they need to rewrite it all at a to high cost.
djmsagar 1:06 PM - 20 February, 2017
Quote:
I get a amateur feeling about the developing implementing strategies of Serato.
Or they have spaghetti coded their Software so much that they need to rewrite it all at a to high cost.

Perhaps you are right about the way they have coded! Although I don't think that is a valid excuse to ignore it when you are selling software. This isn't exactly an open-source community. There are many niggly issues with using Serato. These are hardly 'features' worth shouting about from a Software seller point of view, but they are very irritating to the end user. To date, with a good spec PC I still get Serato crashes, when its trying to deal with certain files, which I don't have on any other DJ software.

1. This discussion's suggestion is so basic, that even if they have to rewrite it, they really should! The fact that third-parties are selling (for money!) software to 'mess' with Serato library management, is a shame! Do we have to do this in Traktor? No, do we have to do this in VDJ ? No! Traktor for that matter will even search by folder location for me! So, if I remember when and where I placed it when I was sorting all my music out, I could simply type the folder name and it would show me the tracks!

2. The laggy waveform issue! Oh! god, 10 years hailed as 'top DJ software'. Sure, they can't do something as simple as 'let Windows use the Graphics chip/card to render waves so they aren't choppy. That is nothing to do with what specifications or laptop or OS I wish to use, its a Serato software coding issue.

Its fantastic to have a 'Suggest us features' forum and then decide based on how many users want it, whether it should be implemented. However, the afore mentioned issues are HARDLY 'FEATURES' in 2017. Hec' the simplest of win32 applications can do complex library management and folder searches! I'll add another +1, if its going to make any difference.
H2H 4:37 PM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:

It doesn't seems to me so difficult to code a sync button who will read a file tree and create/delete crate/sub-crate/tracks into serato.
And That, whitout call into question the way the serato library works.

I really don't undestand why serato don't implement this feature...
DJ Laitier 9:09 AM - 14 June, 2017
+1
DJ Busy ZA 3:08 PM - 14 June, 2017
Here's a novel idea....

We all use more than 1 DJ program, at least I do AND from my experience most other programs reads the Serato crates. Why don't you just build a functionality for Serato to read other databases... like VDJ or Traktor... this should let Serato developers off the hook forever.

"EK SE MAAR NET" (South African joke)
deejdave 10:04 PM - 14 June, 2017
Not most. Only one as a matter of fact. There is only one full fledged DJ app that reads Serato crates being VDJ.

The new Engine Prime does as well but it is a library management app not a DJ app. Other than that a third party app like Rekord Buddy must be used. Thing is being that Rekord Buddy already exists this is not really necessary in this regard.

In respect to VDJ reading Serato (and other DJ app) crates this is a one way thing as VDJ is after Serato (and other) customers while the same may not be so simple the other way around.
DJ Busy ZA 1:53 PM - 15 June, 2017
Hi DJ,Dave

I see your point but in the final analysis and Serato has to admit, the PAYING customer wants simpler file/library management systems. We are spoilt for choice with other apps and it is quite frustrating that this request has been around so long. Library management is not rocket science and writing an external app (or even function) that does a "proper job" should not deviate that much away from the brief.

I do get that Serato wants to keep the DJing functionality away from the library functionality and I can assure them that I do not update my library while gig'ing, it is much too risky a business and I endeavor to do that when I am NOT playing out. So if the functionality to administer the library is part of a ADD ON then this should serve the purposes quite well.

The fact that I have to go to the crate and manually update files that I have added is primitive and always gets me going to the competition.

Thanks again and happy gig'ing
deejdave 8:04 PM - 15 June, 2017
I completely understand. I too hope they come up with more library tools in the near future but I think we have a better chance of success keeping it in house. I don't think it warrants add on as it is basic core feature so hopefully there is a happy medium.
vjMeely 9:16 PM - 17 June, 2017
Quote:

Maybe they should ask alchimiedj.com how they did it... and btw Alchimie did it years ago. SMH

Quote:

Its fantastic to have a 'Suggest us features' forum and then decide based on how many users want it, whether it should be implemented. However, the afore mentioned issues are HARDLY 'FEATURES' in 2017. Hec' the simplest of win32 applications can do complex library management and folder searches! I'll add another +1, if its going to make any difference.

In my opinion, its a false notion to base decisions to implement on popularity. Many users don't know whats good until they see it. Of course you don't implement something that nobody is interested in, but genius ideas are never from popularity.... otherwise they wouldn't be genius, would they? The takeaway here is that library management sucks and has for a long long time.
vj tech.sys 12:44 AM - 10 July, 2017
Funny, VDJ and RekordBox seems to have that directory/subdirectory thing down pat. Can any Traktor users verify that you can browse your directory without having to create individual crates/subscrates? DJay Pro does it with your 'Music' crate as well

It really seems like something basic that woulda been implemented at the get go.

Maybe this is something they've been working on for the last decade, and will be SDJ 2.5.9
deejdave 1:10 AM - 10 July, 2017
Neither Rekordbox nor Traktor have the same capabilities that Serato does though. I can take my external library to any computer in the world with Serato installed and it will be like I had my library there the whole time (minus history etc obviously). This is very useful for those of us using multiple laptops or those who stay current with there machines. EVERY time you want to play on a new laptop (with TP2 or RB) you must export/import your library and re-analyze etc. Not very convenient at all. This is all thanks to how Serato handles the library. Luckily I saw how things were heading years ago thus I have been managing my library primarily via Serato then SYNC to other apps from there. I use Rekord Buddy 2 now but I have been doing this long before it was even a thought.

Again I can understand the want for this but trust there are some advantages as well as the minor disadvantages to Serato's library management and they certainly do not have it entirely wrong.
vj tech.sys 1:40 AM - 10 July, 2017
Capabilities, like say, playing music? Cue points? Loops?

If i'm not mistaken, RekordBox was made for organizing files on an external drive to play on other Pioneer/RekordBox systems.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but i'm not sure what "serato exclusive" feature is so awesome that basic library functions are ignored.

Don't get me wrong, I like the crate function, but being able to see my library the way I have physically organized it, would be a nice little "feature".

It's taken Serato USERS to come up with some solutions.
SERATO Forum post about Serato Itch Sync: serato.com

I have to use Serato Itch Sync every time I add new music. It's become second nature to me now, but it shouldn't.
deejdave 2:03 AM - 10 July, 2017
Quote:
I can take my external library to any computer in the world with Serato installed and it will be like I had my library there the whole time (minus history etc obviously).

Neither Rekordbox or Traktor has this. If by systems you mean players (CDJ/XDJ) Yes you can use the rekordbox formatted drives on rekordbox players but you can NOT move to a different laptop at will without
Quote:
export/import your library and re-analyze etc.

Quote:
This is very useful for those of us using multiple laptops or those who stay current with there machines.

Not sure how often you change laptops but this is crucial for me. I have a laptop for editing etc and a laptop strictly for performing and I can juggle drives at will between them. SO I wouldn't call it awesome I would call it a deal killer/game changer (when it first was designed those many years ago) and the primary reason I chose Serato to begin with.

I know VDJ can do it (with Serato crates at least) but neither Traktor nor Rekordbox/rekordbox DJ can do this.

Again for someone starting out I can see this being huge but as I transfer music to the main drive monthly moving around 10 crates/sub crates per month (one per genre/sub genre) is not all that much to do and it helps me stay connected to my library believe it or not.

Not trying to be argumentative either though and I will say I can see the want/need for this 100%. All I am saying is Serato does not have it ALL wrong.
vjMeely 3:58 AM - 10 July, 2017
@deejdave what is your point? The point of the OP was asking for an ability to sync the crates with the file system. This has nothing to do with the portability of the library.

To be fair, Serato does have an option to play-from the file system using the file/browse buttons above the library view. It just does not however lend itself to being a play-from view as the crates do. Perhaps this request should simply be for the existing FIle/Browse option to be moved to the left panel. Done. Wait.... this would look too much like vDJ ;-)

(remember, crates are the same thing as playlists in other dj programs)
alec.tron 9:17 AM - 10 July, 2017
+1 on the original 'update library' button (for which there would have to be the concept of a file system based library for Serato first of; having a file system trawl/monitor that can be activated is easy then... but that concept does not exist in SSL or SDJ). So yea, maybe once the long promised library rewrite comes through... fingers crossed

Quote:

(remember, crates are the same thing as playlists in other dj programs)

No... they were initially meant to be record 'crates' (the idea being physical ones) which you can put in order, or not and just dumpt shit into.
The problem is, Serato never cared about making these actual playlists... proof ? try exporting a crate into a 'playlist' format...
#Seratogripe since 2008 ish...

c.
vjMeely 2:53 PM - 10 July, 2017
Quote:
...No... they were initially meant to be record 'crates' (the idea being physical ones) which you can put in order, or not and just dumpt shit into.

I think Serato just named it "Crate" to make it familiar for the great migration from analog to digital. If you can put songs into a list in a default specific order and resort the list based on column headers - its a playlist.

Quote:

The problem is, Serato never cared about making these actual playlists... proof ? try exporting a crate into a 'playlist' format...
#Seratogripe since 2008 ish...

c.

If you have used playlists in other DJ programs you will agree that its the same concept. Just because it may not export to something like a .m3u file does not mean its not a playlist. (in fact I think sDJ does export to .m3u)
alec.tron 9:49 PM - 10 July, 2017
Nope, SDJ does not.
The only way to export a crate to m3u (or txt or csv) is to play one track after the other, then work around the missing functionality by using the history export...
So yes, I get that crates can be treated & understood like playlists as they store order of tracks, but no, as factually and in Serato's nomenclature and functionality, there are no playlists imo.

c.
Will08272 2:24 PM - 12 July, 2017
They should just let one select a folder or folders and write the same functionality that the auto import folder currently has.
kasey 10:50 AM - 30 August, 2017
They won't. They have not heeded our plight for years. They're not that smart.

I am now just here on this forum for the reads. I no longer use Serato, along with MANY of my friends because of shit like this.
acemc 6:14 PM - 3 September, 2017
+1......... again!!!
Dj Ricky Redz 6:15 AM - 5 September, 2017
I actually gave up on this and started using iTunes...
kasey 5:54 PM - 5 September, 2017
YES!! Lets give up on crappy Serato and use VDJ!!!
vj tech.sys 9:46 PM - 11 September, 2017
Quote:
I actually gave up on this and started using iTunes...

god, i HATE iTunes!!!

why is it that we have to default to 3rd party programs to do what should be native?!?!?!
acemc 9:52 PM - 11 September, 2017
Quote:
why is it that we have to default to 3rd party programs

Coz Serato really couldn't give a fuck about what we want!!
They'll give us what they want, and if we don't like it.......... tough shit mate!
Will08272 10:17 PM - 11 September, 2017
Had to resort to itunes again as well, despite all the cons it is doing what i need it to do for the time being.
DJ Sneh 10:21 PM - 11 September, 2017
THIS feature is SO NEEDED!! and is been discussed for so long time here but Serato really a give a fuck about what we want!!
Nalim 8:41 PM - 14 September, 2017
I need this feature indeed. Serato come on.
vj tech.sys 3:15 AM - 15 September, 2017
this is one of the reasons i've been moving over to RekordBox, and have been steering people clear from getting started on Serato. Luckily, RekordBox supports the Rane SL-2/3/4, as well as the NI Traktor Audio 6, and BOTH audio interfaces with the Serato TCRs.

My next purchase is going to be a controller, and at this point, it looks like it'll be a RekordBox model.

Pioneer has addressed my concerns with the video engine, so i'm almost ready to pull the trigger, and start using it for live performances.
Nalim 3:17 AM - 15 September, 2017
RekordBuddy will introduce this feature soon, so there is no need to switch from Serato Dj
vj tech.sys 5:19 AM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
RekordBuddy will introduce this feature soon, so there is no need to switch from Serato Dj

i'm not purchasing something that should already be included...
kasey 11:18 AM - 15 September, 2017
STOP USING SERATO!!!
Nalim 1:32 PM - 15 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

i'm not purchasing something that should already be included...

I definitely will, to be able always to switch from Serato DJ to Traktor, RekorBox etc. with all my library (crate, cue's, loops)
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:46 AM - 16 September, 2017
Hey guys,

Just want to let you know, Serato hasn't forgotten about the need for this. It's still a something we are hoping to do.

Regards
acemc 3:28 AM - 17 September, 2017
Matt - what u say & what Serato does are two different things! Serato can't even be bothered to give us a day mode!! Giving us what we ask for in 5yrs time doesn't help us!! Please realize that if you guys continue to ignore your customers, you WILL lose them. There is other software that wants our support. It's time to show us that you're not ignoring us, coz that's how we feel!!!
Blank_Disk 11:36 AM - 17 September, 2017
Quote:
Hey guys,

Just want to let you know, Serato hasn't forgotten about the need for this. It's still a something we are hoping to do.

Regards

THEN GET IT DONE.
Blank_Disk 11:44 AM - 17 September, 2017
see we all keep asking for features and so far for the past year i've not seen a single one come to fruition, for example more than a few asked for :-

push to sampler in size of loop (instead of push whole tune to sampler) - not fixed

we asked for an actual midi editor for existing controllers - not fixed

library improvement for smart crates (auto scan a particular folder or link to folder) - not fixed.

can you see a pattern emerging ?
acemc 5:26 PM - 17 September, 2017
New features, I can understand taking some time to decide on what & how to implement, but basic things that are seriously needed & that was in ssl & itch not getting priority really irritates me.
Dj Ricky Redz 7:38 PM - 17 September, 2017
REKORDBOX DJ is looking to be a decent alternative...
Blank_Disk 11:12 PM - 17 September, 2017
Quote:
Blank_Disk dusts off his traktor pro & starts to map his ddj-sx2...

starting to lose confidence in serato, seen this before when I made the mistake of buying numark.
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:46 PM - 18 September, 2017
Quote:
New features, I can understand taking some time to decide on what & how to implement, but basic things that are seriously needed & that was in ssl & itch not getting priority really irritates me.

What you are asking for is very risky work for library functions and takes time to consider and get done correctly.
Sure, it might be a slow process but we hope to get it done right when we do these things.

There are a lot of things to balance with software and hardware priorities. It's pretty boring stuff, but it's important to balance all these things as well to keep moving forward as a company.
Ultimately, Serato can only do what it can do as a small company. I'm not sure if you know that Serato is only 130 or so employees globally.

Regards
acemc 10:51 PM - 18 September, 2017
How long have we been begging for a day mode?
Do you not consider this as an essential for guys that play in the daytime?
It just doesn't seem like this is a priority, which I honestly feel it should be.
vj tech.sys 8:32 AM - 22 September, 2017
Slow? this has been needed since the SL days, hence why third party options have been out there since Serato Itch.

"slow"... LOL!
Blank_Disk 4:51 PM - 22 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

What you are asking for is very risky work for library functions and takes time to consider and get done correctly.
Sure, it might be a slow process but we hope to get it done right when we do these things.

There are a lot of things to balance with software and hardware priorities. It's pretty boring stuff, but it's important to balance all these things as well to keep moving forward as a company.
Ultimately, Serato can only do what it can do as a small company. I'm not sure if you know that Serato is only 130 or so employees globally.

Regards

Then hire more staff, you charge enough for expansions that you should be able to afford it easily.
kasey 12:50 PM - 26 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Regards

The 'folder sync / replication to crates' feature has already been scripted and in FREQUENT use!!! All you have to do is implement it within the program!!! 98% of your work is done!!!
vjMeely 2:42 AM - 4 October, 2017
I don't think the group is buying your responses @Matt P.
Good job for at least making a response tho. Better than crickets which is usually the case.....

I have a lot of respect for a healthy exchange. Communications is always healthy.

1.) Hey guys, can we have this or that.
2.) Hey guys, we maybe can do this but not that and heres why....
3.) Hey guys, ok we can understand that but this is really bugging us and just know that if somebody else comes by and offers this and that we are gone. Ok?
4.) Hey guys, we understand that and this is what we are going to commit to do if you give us the chance. And by the way, while we can't promise dates, we hope to potentially deliver this in ...... days, months, years.

After this kind of exchange we can probably move on to discuss more interesting topics and not have to belabor topics. Yes?
kasey 11:54 AM - 4 October, 2017
Well said indeed.
Dj Pepe 12:31 PM - 5 October, 2017
+1

even if you use itunes when serato is open, and download a new song from itunes for example, or close and re-open serato, or drag into, but an "update library" button in the Files section would be more useful
DJ Rich - FL 1:15 PM - 7 October, 2017
WOW - I'm new here and a little taken back at the fact that Serato users have been asking for this feature, an EXTREMELY good request I might add - for YEARS !!!

Why haven't you guys at least addressed it - It would make our jobs so much easier and we would appreciate an already awesome program so much more.

I understand its a relatively small company but from the response I saw on this thread it seems like it is in great demand.

On another note - thank you for developing such a great program
Dj MacMillz 4:44 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
I don't think the group is buying your responses @Matt P.
Good job for at least making a response tho. Better than crickets which is usually the case.....

I have a lot of respect for a healthy exchange. Communications is always healthy.

1.) Hey guys, can we have this or that.
2.) Hey guys, we maybe can do this but not that and heres why....
3.) Hey guys, ok we can understand that but this is really bugging us and just know that if somebody else comes by and offers this and that we are gone. Ok?
4.) Hey guys, we understand that and this is what we are going to commit to do if you give us the chance. And by the way, while we can't promise dates, we hope to potentially deliver this in ...... days, months, years.

After this kind of exchange we can probably move on to discuss more interesting topics and not have to belabor topics. Yes?

Idk how long you’ve been around these parts, but that method was tried (some variation of it at least) and it backfired horribly..... (circa SSL 1.7 or something ) oh man it was a shit show in the comments.....
Folks took estimates and transparency and interpreted them into due dates and “next release will have this or that”

I do agree the feature is wanted and needed at this point in the game... but it’s like complaining about free WiFi on the plane, we complain when it don’t work or not available but we’ve been going about without it for so long, do we really miss it?
vjMeely 6:31 PM - 16 October, 2017
Quote:
.... And by the way, while we can't promise dates, we hope to potentially deliver this in ...... days, months, years.

Quote:

Idk how long you’ve been around these parts, but that method was tried (some variation of it at least) and it backfired horribly..... (circa SSL 1.7 or something ) oh man it was a shit show in the comments.....
Folks took estimates and transparency and interpreted them into due dates and “next release will have this or that”

Its all about communications. There is a way to say things without completely committing. There are people who specialize in communications.

Quote:

I do agree the feature is wanted and needed at this point in the game... but it’s like complaining about free WiFi on the plane, we complain when it don’t work or not available but we’ve been going about without it for so long, do we really miss it?

If you are complacent and simply accept what you are provided, you may never be all that you can be. Ask and ye shall receive. 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Furthermore, Serato implies they are receptive to suggestions. Maybe thats where the communication breakdown began. Don't ask for suggestions if there is no point to it.
vj tech.sys 9:22 PM - 18 October, 2017
Maybe Serato will make this a plug-in... Serato Library
We'll pay $100 for it, and then after a bit, it'll be on the same "update cycle" as Serato Video
TickTalk 7:21 AM - 20 October, 2017
Would also like to see this feature.
Blank_Disk 9:40 PM - 21 October, 2017
Quote:
Maybe Serato will make this a plug-in... Serato Library
We'll pay $100 for it, and then after a bit, it'll be on the same "update cycle" as Serato Video

LMFAO sounds about right
MrTeaBag 9:31 PM - 30 October, 2017
Well... This sums up my experience with Serato the 2 years i've been using it: Slow, old, never updated (with anything useful) and not listening to their community.

What other software is out there to use with Pioneer?
Blank_Disk 11:24 AM - 1 November, 2017
rekordbox or traktor are best value for money, virtual dj is overpriced, Deckadance has no midi map out for it.
Blank_Disk 11:25 AM - 1 November, 2017
ps traktor has the best sampler too
kasey 1:09 PM - 1 November, 2017
I use Virtual DJ, and tried Traktor. Both works absolutely great IMHO. Much much much more useful features than Serato, and always evolving.
vj tech.sys 12:28 AM - 4 November, 2017
Quote:
What other software is out there to use with Pioneer?

i've been having good luck with RekordBox, and my Rane SL-4, and Serato TCRs.
a buddy of mine has the DDJ-RZX, and says that he's not going back to SDJ. he likes it that much
roger537 10:57 AM - 4 November, 2017
if its so difficult to make a decent library management how come virtual dj, djay, cross, traktor and rekordbox do it so good without any problem. library management is essential and serato has the worst after denons engine which is the absolute worst. mundane tasks like this should be smarter so we dont waste time on that. everytime i update my folders with music i have to erase my entire library and drag it again so i dont forget to update a folder. i dont believe the features that are being asked here are hard to implement. the biggest reason why i use virtual dj 90% of the time is because of library management. i download a track is immediately in the folder i put it in. even the free program mixxx does this how come u people cant. sounds like you guys are so arrogant that you think you can ignore your user base. theres only so many celebrity djs in the world.
vj tech.sys 7:24 PM - 4 November, 2017
roger537... this is EXACTLY the problem! i've felt like the "crate" system they use is burdensome, not only on the program, but on the system as well.

i'm running a mid-2012 MBP with an intel i7 proc... there are times that i'll click on a "crate", and i'll get the beachball. a beachball. just for clicking a folder.

in virtual dj, you can be performing, add a song to a folder, click off of that folder, click back on it, and the song is there. clicking folders, or doing searches isn't a problem in it.

for the life of me, i don't understand WHY a decent file explorer eludes this company... yet we get complex stuff like beat-jump, and whatever else i never asked for, all of the time.

serato is pretty much like, *new update*, "YOU ASKED FOR IT, BUT WE'RE NOT GIVING IT TO YOU! INSTEAD, HERE'S SOMETHING THAT ONLY 2% OF THE CUSTOMER BASE THINKS IT NEEDS!!!", then they hand you some BS "feature" that can turn words inside out, but GOOD LUCK finding that one song you KNOW you have, but you can't see it, because you are already performing, and can't use serato itch sync (A THIRD PARTY PROGRAM) to get those new songs in that "crate" correctly!

now, you can use file mode, but you need to remember where you dropped that file, or better yet, go use your system search, but be prepared to have boarders show up on your video, because when you exit fullscreen mode, so does antiquated serato video, that hasn't been updated in like three years....
roger537 7:32 PM - 4 November, 2017
Quote:
roger537... this is EXACTLY the problem! i've felt like the "crate" system they use is burdensome, not only on the program, but on the system as well.

i'm running a mid-2012 MBP with an intel i7 proc... there are times that i'll click on a "crate", and i'll get the beachball. a beachball. just for clicking a folder.

in virtual dj, you can be performing, add a song to a folder, click off of that folder, click back on it, and the song is there. clicking folders, or doing searches isn't a problem in it.

for the life of me, i don't understand WHY a decent file explorer eludes this company... yet we get complex stuff like beat-jump, and whatever else i never asked for, all of the time.

serato is pretty much like, *new update*, "YOU ASKED FOR IT, BUT WE'RE NOT GIVING IT TO YOU! INSTEAD, HERE'S SOMETHING THAT ONLY 2% OF THE CUSTOMER BASE THINKS IT NEEDS!!!", then they hand you some BS "feature" that can turn words inside out, but GOOD LUCK finding that one song you KNOW you have, but you can't see it, because you are already performing, and can't use serato itch sync (A THIRD PARTY PROGRAM) to get those new songs in that "crate" correctly!

now, you can use file mode, but you need to remember where you dropped that file, or better yet, go use your system search, but be prepared to have boarders show up on your video, because when you exit fullscreen mode, so does antiquated serato video, that hasn't been updated in like three years....

all great points. my biggest pet peeves and serato is not the only offender is that they use apple style ways to force you to do wat they want. they even require a apple program like quicktime or have bonjour installed. i hate that. quicktime isnt even suported by apple anymore but i cant use the video plugin without it. i bet there are more djs with windows out there than those pesky macs.
vj tech.sys 7:46 PM - 4 November, 2017
i originally bought my SL-4 when i had a windows machine... SSL would take a dump if i had more than (UNKNOWN) files scanned. i kept fighting with serato support, which told me, "put fewer songs in your library". yeah, great advice for a mobile DJ that uses multiple formats, across multiple years. so i got away from windows, and got a mac. problem solved. SSL was now working the way it was supposed to, i guess.

fast forward a few years, and now we have SDJ. while i'm sure it works better with windows than it used to, SDJ now works less reliably with mac than SSL. i'm not sure about how this compromise helps and/or hurts users, but it's definitely pushed some of us to looking for something else.
charlee1985 5:49 PM - 29 November, 2017
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
DJ Busy ZA 9:02 AM - 4 December, 2017
My take on this Part I
================

This request and all of its variation dates back to the time when Noah disembarked the ark and brought the Serato as a recommended DJ platform for its "pioneering" followers. The masses saw this as good, used it and immediately asked "but what about my music library?".

While Noah went back and begged the creator guidance on the matter, the competition developed it's own version and integrated file management as standard into the fold.

When Noah then came back and advised the creator will look into the probe, the masses started to use these other versions and saw that it was good - AND TO THIS DAY - begged Noah for the functionality.

Both Noah and the creator remained silent.

The orthodox then developed explanations for this quietude and convinced the masses that the Serato was never intended as a file management tool. The creator started to develop frivolous additions that can be used by 1 or 2 percent of the masses and thought that these add on lineaments would keep the masses busy.

However the masses are becoming more and more rumbustious AND are looking for better explanations --- but the silence continues.

end of part 1
acemc 12:05 PM - 5 December, 2017
Haha - Looking forward to Part II
DJ Frank Stallone 7:52 PM - 6 December, 2017
Quote:
My take on this Part I
================

This request and all of its variation dates back to the time when Noah disembarked the ark and brought the Serato as a recommended DJ platform for its "pioneering" followers. The masses saw this as good, used it and immediately asked "but what about my music library?".

While Noah went back and begged the creator guidance on the matter, the competition developed it's own version and integrated file management as standard into the fold.

When Noah then came back and advised the creator will look into the probe, the masses started to use these other versions and saw that it was good - AND TO THIS DAY - begged Noah for the functionality.

The orthodox then developed explanations for this quietude and convinced the masses that the Serato was never intended as a file management tool. The creator started to develop frivolous additions that can be used by 1 or 2 percent of the masses and thought that these add on lineaments would keep the masses busy.

However the masses are becoming more and more rumbustious AND are looking for better explanations --- but the silence continues.

end of part 1

That's great!
vj tech.sys 12:13 AM - 7 December, 2017
Quote:
My take on this Part I

OMG! please add Part II soon
Dj Ricky Redz 2:02 AM - 12 December, 2017
Quote:
My take on this Part I
================

end of part 1

Well said lol!

And now we await par lt II
Pr3muToS 11:06 PM - 27 February, 2018
waiting since scratch live on that kind of feature...
kasey 11:15 AM - 28 February, 2018
2.0 out and still nothing on the folder to crate option.............smh. Not even an official explanation.......
DJ Busy ZA 3:10 PM - 28 February, 2018
My take on this Part 2
================

And then, without rumble or thunder, not even an inkling of counsel, the creator released version 2, upped the ante and christened her Serato DJ PRO. The masses went crazy as she can now operate on a brighter screen and allows you to play nicely with her in your bedroom. She also allows you to add all your songs but still the missing library management function looms heavy over the heart of the devout. Cries are coming in from all over the place and some are considering if it is still worth the wait.

This DJ though has taken solace to the fact that one day the creator will see the light and maybe in version 2.001001 or version 2.01011 or even in version 2.12.23.39 or something like that provide a library management function in some form or the other.

PEACE
kasey 4:54 PM - 28 February, 2018
LOL. You're killing me!!!!
alec.tron 9:25 PM - 1 March, 2018
Heh, yea, with SDJ 2 being released without the long promised library rewrite, and with a library rewrite being a major undertaking, I won't hold my breath anymore for SDJ to add this in any acceptable timeframe.
Their only saving grace is that NI & Pioneer have their heads up their a**** equally deep when it comes to proper library / taxonomy & metadata handling.
c.
Blank_Disk 10:59 PM - 3 March, 2018
and as far as i can tell by the comments serato wont be selling many copies of dj pro, we have all asked for feature after feature but things just seem to fall on deaf ears, the only way they may listen is when people stop using the software they provide, i mean I'm mucking about with rekordbox right now cuz serato did not deliver in a real update, they just made the software 64 bit, nothing else changed.
roger537 11:02 PM - 3 March, 2018
yea rekrdbox is on fire. they have proper library management.not on virtual djs level but close. and now they have that auto light show which is looking so damm fine.
OllyDowning 2:38 AM - 30 April, 2018
I think we're being mugged off here.....
CJ DJ 5:01 PM - 30 April, 2018
its 4 years and no answer from Serato on this matter, not unheard of but it certainly pushes people to make to test or even purchase other brands. I know at one point in time I was pushed to buy virtual DJ pro.
alec.tron 9:59 PM - 30 April, 2018
4 years is nothing in Serato Land... flac took 8 years (2003-2011 ish) if I remember correctly... and not having a Ratings field in Serato of exporting crates/playlists is 15+ years now of regular requests & counting...

Not having some of these long standing issues adressed in SDJ Pro 2 was a final nail to the coffin for me as well to jump ship for my everyday go to DJ software yet again.
Good I'm software agnostic these & can easily jump between them when the grass is greneer elsewhere.
c.
OllyDowning 2:52 PM - 3 June, 2018
This makes me so glad that Pioneer are pushing rekordbox dj now so much. Im due a hardware upgrade from my DDJ-SZ and look forward to working with rekordbox in the future.
NastyNige 7:33 PM - 4 November, 2018
Wow! Can’t believe this still isn’t implemented. I too tried itch-sync and it works pretty good. Only problem is it’s not sorting my folder names properly.
sero 1:41 PM - 1 January, 2019
+1, this is a huge pain!
cotdagoo 9:44 PM - 1 January, 2019
Have you tried writing your feature request on a piece of paper and tossing it in the trashcan?

Apparently this method is just as valid as posting to the Feature Suggestions forum!
cotdagoo 9:47 PM - 1 January, 2019
Happy almost 5 year anniversary to this request!
Nalim 1:59 PM - 2 January, 2019
this is insane, 5yrs.
sero 3:59 PM - 2 January, 2019
is anyone still using the itch-sync java tool?
I just added flac support, in case someone else needs it let me know
acemc 5:03 PM - 2 January, 2019
Even if they just give us a normal browser on the left hand side where the crates are.
acemc 5:04 PM - 2 January, 2019
Quote:
Have you tried writing your feature request on a piece of paper and tossing it in the trashcan?

Apparently this method is just as valid as posting to the Feature Suggestions forum!

Funny - but true!
Hanginon 7:44 PM - 2 January, 2019
Quote:

I use it all the time and would love a version that also supports FLAC!
DJ TooHypE 4:40 AM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I use it all the time and would love a version that also supports FLAC!

Ditto +1
Colemang70 7:04 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:

yes i still use it
Colemang70 7:05 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:

yes i still use it
sero 7:34 PM - 3 January, 2019
ok cool, I'll upload the new version and let you guys know
Hanginon 8:07 PM - 3 January, 2019
Quote:

Thank You!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:45 PM - 6 January, 2019
Quote:

YES! Thank you!
DjZezarFlow 3:40 PM - 7 January, 2019
Quote:

Without this tool imposible to use Serato!!! I use this every single day! This is a must to everyone
Hanginon 6:44 PM - 7 January, 2019
Quote:
sero said "ok cool, I'll upload the new version and let you guys know"

Well, I guess it's time to let the cat out of the bag.

The version that supports FLAC, serato-itch-sync 0.1.5, has been posted to github -
github.com

I have been using it for a few days on SDJP 2.1 without issues.

Full and complete credit to sero for doing this!!!
DjZezarFlow 7:01 PM - 7 January, 2019
Quote:

Currently on Ver. itch-sync-0_1_5 and Serato 2.1

If you have a newer version we will really appreciate the link.

Thank you a lot!!!
Hanginon 7:23 PM - 7 January, 2019
As far as i know, that is the newest.

0.1.4, and lower, does not support FLAC.
sero 9:38 AM - 8 January, 2019
Yes, 0.1.5 is the newest version and it supports FLAC. You can find it on github.com

I have reached out to the author of the tool. He has a fully re-written new version of the tool that has yet to be released. He said he stopped using Serato a couple of years ago so he didn't continue. I will pick that project up and release it in a couple of weeks I think. You will than be able to find it there: github.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:28 PM - 8 January, 2019
Nice Sero!

Any plans of renaming it since Itch is no more? :)
sero 9:45 AM - 9 January, 2019
Yes, the original author already named the new version 'serato-sync' ;)
Bornd Fono 5:01 AM - 17 January, 2019
Quote:
Happy almost 5 year anniversary to this request!

Hahahaha! Bitter truth. Sad performance Serato.
AKIEM 3:34 PM - 20 January, 2019
you guys think this request is 5 years old?
lol
wrong.
cotdagoo 5:15 PM - 20 January, 2019
Quote:
you guys think this request is 5 years old?
lol
wrong.

Just going by the date of the topic posted.. I don't think anyone is claiming this to be the only request of this type in the time Rane/Serato has been a thing.. if that's what you're chomping at.
AKIEM 7:20 PM - 20 January, 2019
so
cotdagoo 8:46 PM - 20 January, 2019
Quote:
so

exactly.. couldn't have said it better myself! cheers!
AKIEM 8:07 PM - 21 January, 2019
bump
vj tech.sys 7:16 AM - 22 January, 2019
i don't remember when the 1.5 version came out, but it's been a couple of years. works fine.

if it weren't for itch sync, i probably would've given up on Serato a while back
Hanginon 5:17 PM - 22 January, 2019
sero recently modified itch-sync to include FLAC support, V1.5, and uploaded it to GitHub. Full credit to him for doing that.

He is also apparently in contact with the original developer who may do another version, which hopefully will be called Serato-sync. IMHO, the continued reference to "itch" causes a lot of confusion.

I personally have no problem with it staying as a small utility separate from Serato DJ Pro, especially now that it has FLAC support.

Also, like vj tech.sys, I'd be long gone if it weren't for this program. At this point, still having the hardware tied to the software (for licensing) has got to be hurting them - it is certainly hampering higher audio quality. There are really HQ sound cards out there which we cannot use.
Bornd Fono 7:38 PM - 23 January, 2019
Quote:
At this point, still having the hardware tied to the software (for licensing) has got to be hurting them - it is certainly hampering higher audio quality. There are really HQ sound cards out there which we cannot use.

This is so damn true.
grkdre 9:11 PM - 8 March, 2019
You know what's awesome? Updating Serato, rescanning your library, and losing all your crates and history! Glad they put the emergency patch out before people instal.... F*#&@
popnwave 2:35 PM - 9 March, 2019
Sounds like user error.
grkdre 4:32 PM - 12 March, 2019
Quote:
Sounds like user error.

Nope, bug in that particular release which I happened to stumble upon before it was patched. It caused a corruption in my database files which couldn't be reversed. This was confirmed by Serato, but unfortunately aside from trying to restore from a really old backup (which may not work), they are unable to figure out a way to resolve the issue.
grkdre 4:32 PM - 12 March, 2019
Quote:
Sounds like user error.

Nope, bug in that particular release which I happened to stumble upon before it was patched. It caused a corruption in my database files which couldn't be reversed. This was confirmed by Serato, but unfortunately aside from trying to restore from a really old backup (which may not work), they are unable to figure out a way to resolve the issue.
DJ TooHypE 6:12 PM - 19 March, 2019
Bump
DEEJAYGOOSE 1:44 PM - 19 May, 2019
I can I get this itch sync program everytime I download its telling me theres an error can anyone help
Bornd Fono 7:04 PM - 19 May, 2019
sero 7:41 PM - 24 May, 2019
You can get the current version from github.com (use right-click -> save as). Make sure to download the itch-sync.properties file to the same directory and edit it!
Hanginon 9:33 PM - 24 May, 2019
Quote:
You can get the current version from github.com (use right-click -> save as). Make sure to download the itch-sync.properties file to the same directory and edit it!

+1

Make sure it's version 0.1.5

The older version 0.1.4 from www.java2s.com doesn't handle flac files.
DJ Wendel Lemos 1:25 PM - 4 June, 2019
Quote:
sero recently modified itch-sync to include FLAC support, V1.5, and uploaded it to GitHub. Full credit to him for doing that.

He is also apparently in contact with the original developer who may do another version, which hopefully will be called Serato-sync. IMHO, the continued reference to "itch" causes a lot of confusion.

I personally have no problem with it staying as a small utility separate from Serato DJ Pro, especially now that it has FLAC support.

Also, like vj tech.sys, I'd be long gone if it weren't for this program. At this point, still having the hardware tied to the software (for licensing) has got to be hurting them - it is certainly hampering higher audio quality. There are really HQ sound cards out there which we cannot use.

I have edited de code of itch-sync-0-1-4 to support various file formats like FLAC, AIFF, MP4, AVI, etc and I renamed it to itch-sync-0-1-5, in 2016!

Here is the link if anyone still has an interest

tinyurl.com
DJ Wendel Lemos 1:26 PM - 4 June, 2019
Even today it works very well
sero 1:32 PM - 4 June, 2019
Good Job DJ Wendel Lemos. Shoul've told everybody in 2016!! :D
People been lookin for that sh** for years man ;-)
DJ Wendel Lemos 12:44 PM - 5 June, 2019
It was posted here in 2016
DJ Wendel Lemos 12:45 PM - 5 June, 2019
Quote:

Here is the link to download
mega.nz!qo4Umb7Y <-(copy the entire link to you browser address bar)

Here is the link how to Sync folders to crates with itch-sync
Watchwww.youtube.com

Sorry my bad english ;)

Here
JBF 2:18 PM - 24 December, 2019
If after about 250 entries we still did not get them convinced we all need something like this i'm really disappointed…
Just to suppor the request :
+10000
Blank_Disk 11:23 AM - 27 December, 2019
Quote:
+1

Quote:

I think this should be implemented in offline mode.

Hope they're seeing this!

they are seeing this but ignoring us, that's exactly what they do & if they get a post that is negative about the way they do things they delete it, you have more chance of platting for than getting serato to add what your after unless you are paying for it, same as I have said before next new updates are gonna be £29.99 for serato midi, then same again for serato audio then same again for serato library.
AKIEM 4:41 PM - 27 December, 2019
doubt it - I've never seen them delete any post except spam.
Blank_Disk 10:57 PM - 27 December, 2019
The trouble is the features have been asked for so many times they may be classed as spam hehe
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:15 AM - 11 March, 2020
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pop in here and let you know this is something still on our list to do. Unfortunately we still have a lot of other work to get through before we can get to something like this, but I'm reading this thread today to do some planning around when that time comes.

So I can't promise you dates, I don't want to get hopes up. However, I have a suggestion - use this forum to continue discuss how you think this feature should work and what you personally expect to get out of it. You can go into as much or as little detail as you want.

While there have already been some awesome suggestions around it (I'd like to commend H2H as being one of the users that presents their idea in a clear manner) there are still many ways this could be implemented, so I believe there is still value in discussing those different approaches.

To be completely transparent, I'm making this suggestion because;

• I think this would be more productive and interesting than focusing on the fact that Serato hasn't had time to make this feature yet.
• You'll help me do my job, and as a result you'll get the feature that is more likely to meet your expectations. I don't want to miss out on any important considerations!

Thanks for your time and understanding,

Martin
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:25 AM - 11 March, 2020
To get this conversation 'back on track' so to speak, here are some considerations I'd love your input on.

1) Some people suggest you can choose a crate and point it to a folder. Others suggest you can choose a folder to appear as a crate (with subcrates if needed) in the crate list. Which approach is best and why?

2) Would it be sufficient if this only auto imported on start up? Would you need some way to import during a session as well? If so, why?

3) If some files have been auto-imported, do you expect them to be automatically analysed on import as well?

4) If I moved a file from a regular crate, to a 'sync crate' what happens? Does that file get copied to the directory the crate syncs to? Or am I unable to move files to these crates once they are syncing to a folder?

5) What things have you or haven't you liked about existing solutions e.g Traktor, Alchimie Zinc etc. In your opinion whats an example of software that does it amazingly? Has anyone used the auto import folder inside the _Serato_ folder before?
sero 8:32 AM - 11 March, 2020
how about you get the info by reading the thread? Had 6 years for that .... what a joke hahaha :-D

I don't even get your questions like "If I moved a file from a regular crate, to a 'sync crate' what happens?" How about you try yourself?

I switched back to Traktor already and importing and analyzing files is a breeze, maybe go ahead and check that out
Blank_Disk 9:48 PM - 11 March, 2020
1 & 4) Some people suggest you can choose a crate and point it to a folder. Others suggest you can choose a folder to appear as a crate (with sub crates if needed) in the crate list. Which approach is best and why?

why not have a subfolder within the Serato folder structure that is for auto import only, you can create crates linked to a specific folder(s) and if a file is moved then it will be moved to the next folder not copied as this creates too many copies of 1 track and causes confusion with keeping a library in order.

2 & 3) Would it be sufficient if this only auto imported on startup? Would you need some way to import during a session as well? If so, why?

I would say a quick scan of imported folders at the startup of Serato, many others do this and it works fine, the way I would implement it is to offer the user the option to correct/analyze/scan further after the quick scan & off the option to scan on shutdown, the reasoning behind this is the fact in some cases you need to get your gear running quickly and people sometimes don't have time to do it on a startup.

5) What things have you or haven't you liked about existing solutions e.g Traktor, Alchimie Zinc etc. In your opinion whats an example of software that does it amazingly? Has anyone used the auto-import folder inside the _Serato_ folder before?

Traktor does this very well as it auto-scans your library quickly on startup, also you can enable the use of all CPU cores so some are for analysis and some are for audio encoding etc.
I have used the auto-import feature before but found sometimes it did not work so well, it sometimes scanned the same file and added doubles due to small change of information.

the machine I currently DJ with is a high spec, 8 core 16 thread CPU, 16gb ddr4, Radeon rx5700xt, Samsung Polaris nvme SSD, so I have no issues with resources like some do, people keep shouting about stability but that's not an issue with most equipment these days, you can run Traktor on an iPad nowadays with no dropouts etc so I should imagine the average pc could easily run any DJ software easily.

i hope this helps in some way to clear up a question that's been around for as long as the cave man hehe.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:19 AM - 16 March, 2020
Hi Sero,

Quote:
how about you get the info by reading the thread? Had 6 years for that .... what a joke hahaha :-D

I've read this discussion a few times, which is what lead me to ask those questions above.

Quote:
I don't even get your questions like "If I moved a file from a regular crate, to a 'sync crate' what happens?" How about you try yourself?

I switched back to Traktor already and importing and analyzing files is a breeze, maybe go ahead and check that out

Its a theoretical question because the feature doesn't exist yet, so I can't try it. Its a good suggestion to try other software though, which I have been doing. Its just that there isn't always a direct comparison, so the same questions/challenges aren't there.

Thanks for your input though, I have been trying out the Traktor method too :)
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:13 AM - 16 March, 2020
Thanks for the thorough reply Blank_Disk!

Quote:
why not have a subfolder within the Serato folder structure that is for auto import only, you can create crates linked to a specific folder(s) and if a file is moved then it will be moved to the next folder not copied as this creates too many copies of 1 track and causes confusion with keeping a library in order.

Do you mean a sub folder inside the '_Serato_' folder? Then if you put files in there it automatically imports? Or did you just mean a section in your library which has crates that are linked to folders?

Just to clarify then, if the user moves a file between two folders here, it would actually move it on disk. If the user did the same between two regular crates, it will copy the reference (current behaviour). Did I understand correctly?

Quote:
I would say a quick scan of imported folders at the startup of Serato, many others do this and it works fine, the way I would implement it is to offer the user the option to correct/analyze/scan further after the quick scan & off the option to scan on shutdown, the reasoning behind this is the fact in some cases you need to get your gear running quickly and people sometimes don't have time to do it on a startup.

Fully agree some options could help here. Sometimes you'd want it, other times you wouldn't. So does this mean a pop up may show on start up that says something like 'you have new files, do you want to analyse now, or later?'

Thanks,

Martin
Hanginon 1:24 AM - 17 March, 2020
See, there is always some good in the bad, although it probably needed the death of iTunes for them to wake up.
AKIEM 7:42 AM - 17 March, 2020
Quote:
To get this conversation 'back on track' so to speak, here are some considerations I'd love your input on.

1) Some people suggest you can choose a crate and point it to a folder. Others suggest you can choose a folder to appear as a crate (with subcrates if needed) in the crate list. Which approach is best and why?

first one seems messy and I dont see the reason for it.

Quote:

2) Would it be sufficient if this only auto imported on start up? Would you need some way to import during a session as well? If so, why?

think you would want a button if you are doing library maintenance. you wouldnt want to keep restarting

Quote:

3) If some files have been auto-imported, do you expect them to be automatically analysed on import as well?

no. they dont automatically analyse now, could be annoying

maybe a preference

Quote:

4) If I moved a file from a regular crate, to a 'sync crate' what happens? Does that file get copied to the directory the crate syncs to? Or am I unable to move files to these crates once they are syncing to a folder?

should def be copied

otherwise its just an unnecessary limitation.

If you mistakenly drop files into a crate/folder it would be pretty easy go to finder and fix it

main reason I quite using iTunes was not being able to edit iTunes crates in Serato

Quote:

5) What things have you or haven't you liked about existing solutions e.g Traktor, Alchimie Zinc etc. In your opinion whats an example of software that does it amazingly? Has anyone used the auto import folder inside the _Serato_ folder before?

Need to be able to figure out what all crates a song is in.

Please consider being able to click on more than one crate at a time.
Bornd Fono 5:39 PM - 17 March, 2020
I am one of the people in this forum who blame Serato the most for not talking to their community (like Martin C is now in this thread) & listening to their wishes and still claim to be "customer driven" - so I will put the fact that an exchange of thoughts like this should have been the normal case in the last years but sadly wasn't aside and just say: THANK YOU for finally doing this @Serato!

Back to the topic.

My situation: I have build up a large library (10years of djing as a fulltime job & collecting + archiving music that I love like crazy). 15k tracks are sorted into a structure with 1,7k folders (you can imagine this a a tree structure: there is 1x root folder and then sub-folders and sub-sub-folders etc. and if you go down this folder structure only in the deepest level there are music files in the last folder level (in the leaves of that tree structure if you wanna stay in that metaphor).

I used a 1:1 copy of this folder structure as a crate structure in Serato (currently I use RB for most gigs since I play with the Xone 96 a lot which is not supported in Serato) and used the itch-sync tool to automate the creation of those crates and afterwards I just put them in the order I need them (the normal alphabetic sorting is not working for me) with dragging and dropping the crates onto each other like I needed. Shitload of work still (only the sorting - it would have been hell to create all crates by hand).

I would imagine the feature like this:

imgur.com

In the area where we create normal crates and smart crates there is a 3rd option: synced crates (as shown in the edited screenshot of the Serato GUI).

By clicking it, I can select a folder. Serato now creates a crate structure which is 1:1 mirroring the folder structure of the ROOT folder I selected which all crates and subcrates being linked to their corresponding folder and subfolders.
I can now drag and drop those folders to sort them to my liking (please implement a better sorting where I can drag and drop a crate between other crates in the mid of a crate-list... at the moment sorting is only possible by dragging & dropping the subcrates to the mastercrate in the order I want, beginning with the crate that I want to have a the bottom and then working my way to the top... that is a pain in the ass when you have to do this task of sorting a lot).

At every start of SDJ PRO these crate structure is updated by checking the folders for new music files and updating the equivalent crates. If new music files are found, there is a pop-up question if I want to analyze these files now.

To your questions @Martin C:

Quote:

Since I can not only put my perspective and workflow into consideration here... I think we need BOTH:
- The manual pointing of crates to folders would be a pain in the ass for everybody with a big library with a lot of folders (like myself), since the amount of work goes up very quickly with the increase of the folder count. We would rather need the automatic creation of a crate structure by a chosen ROOT folder (like I described) - since most people with a lot of folders have all their music in one place (pre-sorted into those folders).
- Other users may only have need for like 10-20 crates... but REALLY would love to pin multiple folders on their hard drive to the same crate... or pin a folder to multiple crates since the music in those folders is relevant to multiple crates.

Since everyone of us has a different workflow... I am sorry to have to say it: but we really need BOTH to be most flexible and have the potential to fit the workflow of all users unregarding how their workflow is and how their music library is organized.

Quote:

Auto-import on start up would be totally fine I think. When we are at home and practice... even if new tracks come in, restarting the software is no problem at all.
When we are at a gig, it's unlikely that we get new music into folders on our harddrives durin the gig.

So: auto import on startup is enough... but I must say: ANALYZING tracks when the software is up and running (connected to an interface) is needed! The restriction of this to the offline-mode is long out-dated and should be fixed as soon as possible.

Quote:

As I said before: if new music files are found in synced crates on the startup of SDJ Pro, then ask with a pop up if they should be analized immediately or give the option to do this later (but as I said don't force us to disconnect the cable to go to offline mode for this)

Quote:

I would say: don't copy it. But that would only be my perspective and workflow (since I manage all my music in my folders). But since there are SO MANY different workflows by different DJs, I would say: give a setup option which people who want the files to be copied to the folders too, can check and then they have this functionality.

Quote:

As I said I have used itch-sync for some years to auto-create crates mirroring my folder structure (worked like a charm and I just had to sort the crates afterwards). Never used the auto import folder since it didn't match my worfklow and I didn't want to store music inside my _Serato_ folder.
Dj Ricky Redz 7:06 AM - 27 March, 2020
Personally I would love if serato could act somewhat like iTunes in that it stores the songs in a library management way or work with a folder you already have. similar to the options in iTunes as I'm a huge fan of it!
Dj Ricky Redz 7:06 AM - 27 March, 2020
Personally I would love if serato could act somewhat like iTunes in that it stores the songs in a library management way or work with a folder you already have. similar to the options in iTunes as I'm a huge fan of it!
vj tech.sys 4:49 AM - 7 April, 2020
i'm of the notion that if Virtual DJ can do something, any other DJ software developer can probably do it...

in the left side, have an additional button, like the smart crate, but instead of having file options, you have folder/directory options. Those can be set to where it'll see the directories/subdirectories, and keep them branched as such.

I've been using Itch-Sync for so long, and it's actually WORKED (especially the JAVA update that allowed FLAC to be found), that I'm not sure how I would react if this was actually a thing in Serato.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:12 AM - 15 April, 2020
Hey, sorry about the slow responses. I'm reading them all up now. First - Hey Akiem, how are you doin :)

Quote:

Whats the messiness you foresee with making a crate point to a folder? Keen to understand what puts you off that idea.

Quote:
Think you would want a button if you are doing library maintenance. you wouldnt want to keep restarting

Yeah definitely agree. Could be similar to the Smart Crate refresh button as a concept.

Quote:
No. they dont automatically analyse now, could be annoying. Maybe a preference

Agree here too! I think lots of people will want it, but unfair to force that on everyone - especially if they are in a hurry. Lots of DJs don't even care about having BPM/Key etc until they load it (as opposed to seeing it in the library before loading).

Quote:
should def be copied - otherwise its just an unnecessary limitation.If you mistakenly drop files into a crate/folder it would be pretty easy go to finder and fix it

Ok I follow. If it allowed you to copy then you do a bit more file management via Serato DJ. Perhaps a quick pop up on the first time this happens (which you can dismiss forever) just so you know its not behaving like a normal crate (which just copies the reference, not the actual file on disk).

Quote:
Need to be able to figure out what all crates a song is in. Please consider being able to click on more than one crate at a time.

Yes, two awesome features we have on our list to consider, separate from this topic a bit, but would play well as part of an overall improvement in library management for sure. Thanks for your comments Akiem.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:32 AM - 15 April, 2020
Hey Bornd Fono,

Quote:
I am one of the people in this forum who blame Serato the most for not talking to their community (like Martin C is now in this thread) & listening to their wishes and still claim to be "customer driven" - so I will put the fact that an exchange of thoughts like this should have been the normal case in the last years but sadly wasn't aside and just say: THANK YOU for finally doing this @Serato!

I appreciate you willing to give us input and feedback now, despite not being listened to for so long - I am sorry about that. Its hard to jump in a conversation like this when we can't really promise any timeframe and aren't dedicating any resource to it. I don't want to get anyones hopes up either, so to be clear I still have no idea when this will be in the software but I do have some spare time right now to start researching and planning it for when the time comes.

Quote:
I would imagine the feature like this:

imgur.com

In the area where we create normal crates and smart crates there is a 3rd option: synced crates (as shown in the edited screenshot of the Serato GUI).

Nice! This is a pretty straight forward approach and the feature is probably important enough to warrant its own new crate type. I like it.

Quote:
I can now drag and drop those folders to sort them to my liking

If you dragged and dropped a folder to a new location, does it also move it on disk?

Quote:
(please implement a better sorting where I can drag and drop a crate between other crates in the mid of a crate-list... at the moment sorting is only possible by dragging & dropping the subcrates to the mastercrate in the order I want, beginning with the crate that I want to have a the bottom and then working my way to the top... that is a pain in the ass when you have to do this task of sorting a lot).

Hmm sorry I'm not sure I'm following you here. I can drop crates into the middle of another list of subcrates, no matter the structure. Perhaps you could do a quick screen capture of you experiencing the issue. Do you have any software that does screen recordings?

Quote:
Other users may only have need for like 10-20 crates... but REALLY would love to pin multiple folders on their hard drive to the same crate... or pin a folder to multiple crates since the music in those folders is relevant to multiple crates.

Thats a good point, multiple folders pointing into one crate could be a workflow, but I think you are right to say its probably more common to just have a folder mirrored in the library 1:1.

Quote:
ANALYZING tracks when the software is up and running (connected to an interface) is needed!

Yes, I think its outdated too - perhaps a decision made a time when computers weren't very powerful. I'm actually looking into this right now and hoping to remove this limitation, so heres hoping we don't find any other good reason to prevent analyse from being available when 'online'.

Quote:
As I said before: if new music files are found in synced crates on the startup of SDJ Pro, then ask with a pop up if they should be analized immediately or give the option to do this later (but as I said don't force us to disconnect the cable to go to offline mode for this)

Yeah, fully agree - good to ask in this situation.

Quote:
I would say: don't copy it. But that would only be my perspective and workflow (since I manage all my music in my folders)

Thats ok, there are a lot of workflows to balance when designing feature. I'm specifically curious about why you say 'don't copy' though? Is it because you don't really mind too much, or more because that would be unexpected for you if it did, and cause issues? Would it cause you a problem if it were possible?

Thanks heaps, real thorough reply with lots of good comments and stuff for me to think about. I am jotting down heaps of notes from everyone here :)
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:35 AM - 15 April, 2020
Hey Dj Ricky Redz,

Quote:

Haha its funny, because I personally despise how it takes control of your music like that.

What specifically makes you like this about iTunes? Is it the fact that it makes a copy on import? Or that automatically organises each import in a folder by album, artist etc?

I am curious, and can definitely understand how iTunes takes care of things and makes it easy to have a folder structure, but in my past experience I found that structure to be messy. iTunes is probably better at it now since I last used it...
Hanginon 4:21 PM - 15 April, 2020
Quote:
Haha its funny, because I personally despise how it takes control of your music like that.

Agreed. A lot of PC users think iTunes is about the closest thing to a Virus you could self inflict on your own laptop.
AKIEM 11:46 PM - 20 April, 2020
Quote:
Hey, sorry about the slow responses. I'm reading them all up now. First - Hey Akiem, how are you doin :)
doing fine with my new 70, thanks and you too.

Quote:

Quote:

Whats the messiness you foresee with making a crate point to a folder? Keen to understand what puts you off that idea.

At the time I had a specific reason. Honestly dont remember right now.

Quote:

Quote:
Think you would want a button if you are doing library maintenance. you wouldnt want to keep restarting

Yeah definitely agree. Could be similar to the Smart Crate refresh button as a concept.

yes

Quote:

Quote:
No. they dont automatically analyse now, could be annoying. Maybe a preference

Agree here too! I think lots of people will want it, but unfair to force that on everyone - especially if they are in a hurry. Lots of DJs don't even care about having BPM/Key etc until they load it (as opposed to seeing it in the library before loading).

There may be situations where you dont want updating because you moving lots of things around and dont want it to analyse till you say so.

Quote:

Quote:
should def be copied - otherwise its just an
unnecessary limitation.If you mistakenly drop files into a crate/folder it would be pretty easy go to finder and fix it

Ok I follow. If it allowed you to copy then you do a bit more file management via Serato DJ. Perhaps a quick pop up on the first time this happens (which you can dismiss forever) just so you know its not behaving like a normal crate (which just copies the reference, not the actual file on disk).

yeah, I think so

Quote:

Quote:
Need to be able to figure out what all crates a song is in. Please consider being able to click on more than one crate at a time.

Yes, two awesome features we have on our list to consider, separate from this topic a bit, but would play well as part of an overall improvement in library management for sure. Thanks for your comments Akiem.

Thanks. Thats the main thing keeping me disorganized right now. I dont want to delete duplicate files because I am not sure what crates they are in. If I want to replace an mp3 with an aif in all crates I am SOL.

Being able to click on multiple crates would be very powerful - for example mixing two genres for a session on the fly without having to make a crate.

Another side thing is how Com+F searches the crate instead of the whole library. Thats just logically less powerful. Searching in the library gives you the same results, searching in the crate limits the results.

Sorry, one more thing while you are listening. Files disappearing from the prepare window when played is a huge annoyance - especially for people who like to do a lot of auditioning the next track. If you are just auditioning, boom, its gone, and you might not even know it. keeps me from using it at all. I cant see any reason why they should disappear since they are marked as played (that was probably from way back before tracks turning green)
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:23 AM - 24 April, 2020
Thanks for the replies Akiem.

Quote:
doing fine with my new 70, thanks and you too.

Heck yeah, thats a lovely mixer! I'm good thanks bro, miss the forum tho :( too busy in development land these days it feels like.

Quote:
There may be situations where you dont want updating because you moving lots of things around and dont want it to analyse till you say so.

True, thats another really good reason to enforce it and be able to opt out. You wouldn't what analysis to keep popping off while you are just re-organising your library.

Quote:
If I want to replace an mp3 with an aif in all crates I am SOL.

I feel you! I've been slowing upgrading my mp3s with wavs when I can, but you are right thats a bit in vein if you can't confidently remove your mp3s without knowing which crates you are removing from.

To be fair that could be solved in another way - if you could point your tracks library reference to the new upgraded version of the file, all crate references would update automatically and you wouldn't even need to find which crates it lived in. Now you can just delete the old mp3 off disk because its not being used anyway.

Arguably thats faster to solve the specific issue you describe, but there are other good reasons for being able to check what crates a file lives in.

Quote:
Being able to click on multiple crates would be very powerful - for example mixing two genres for a session on the fly without having to make a crate.

Thats an interesting one. On operating systems when you select two folders, the view that shows you inside the folders typically goes blank. However I'm sure we could merge the two lists instead if thats useful.

We'd need to think about what happens if those are parent crates that have sub crates, and if what you see in the view is influenced by 'include subcrate tracks' option too.. I think it would be. Anyway, definitely on the list, even just being able to multiple select crates to delete or move around in the crate list would be great too.

Quote:
Another side thing is how Com+F searches the crate instead of the whole library. Thats just logically less powerful. Searching in the library gives you the same results, searching in the crate limits the results.

Some people like that behaviour though, so we'd have to make searching just the crate accessible some how still. We are actually re-evaluating that at the moment and thinking if what the shortcut does should change, or just make search all library more accessible in some other way, so its good to hear there is justification for trying to improve this.

Quote:
Sorry, one more thing while you are listening. Files disappearing from the prepare window when played is a huge annoyance - especially for people who like to do a lot of auditioning the next track. If you are just auditioning, boom, its gone, and you might not even know it. keeps me from using it at all. I cant see any reason why they should disappear since they are marked as played (that was probably from way back before tracks turning green)

No worries, I've heard this feedback come through in user testing before too, so I'd say you'll see an preference for that behaviour at some stage.

Just to explain why its current behaviour is still useful though.. for those users who didn't reset their played tracks at the start of the session, perhaps 90% of the library already appears as played. This now isn't going to help them avoid playing the same song twice in the prepare crate, which is the core reason behind the behaviour of removing it after the play.

I do still understand your case too, and a regular crate doesn't cut the mustard because the prepare crate has the added benefits of being visible as a separate panel, and has kb shortcuts to add files to it!

Cheers :)
Hanginon 12:29 PM - 24 April, 2020
Quote:

Quote:

No worries, I've heard this feedback come through in user testing before too, so I'd say you'll see an preference for that behaviour at some stage.

Just to explain why its current behaviour is still useful though.. for those users who didn't reset their played tracks at the start of the session, perhaps 90% of the library already appears as played. This now isn't going to help them avoid playing the same song twice in the prepare crate, which is the core reason behind the behaviour of removing it after the play.

@Martin C - You do realize this issue (and others) is eliminated if you could Preview/Prelisten directly from the Library.
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:13 AM - 29 April, 2020
Hey Hanginon,

Thats a fresh way to look at it for sure. Which issue did I mention that you think is solved?

Prepare panel still has the benefits I mentioned above - the load shortcuts and the side by side library panel usability. Are you saying less people will use Prepare Panel in general if they had Preview?
Hanginon 10:53 AM - 29 April, 2020
Quote:
Are you saying less people will use Prepare Panel in general if they had Preview?

No, I'm saying a dedicated Preview/Prelisten feature directly from the library ELIMINATES the problem of Tracks being accidentally marked "Played" (because a fader was not fully "off" when the Track was "previewed" in a Deck) as well as the "Prepare" issue AKIEM refers to.
AKIEM 8:23 AM - 30 April, 2020
Quote:

Heck yeah, thats a lovely mixer! I'm good thanks bro, miss the forum tho :( too busy in development land these days it feels like.

Well its super good to hear from developers. The forum feels starved for feedback...

Im having to return my 70. Ive got a hum in the phono channel, little sad/annoyed but its an early run...

Quote:
Quote:
If I want to replace an mp3 with an aif in all crates I am SOL.

I feel you! I've been slowing upgrading my mp3s with wavs when I can, but you are right thats a bit in vein if you can't confidently remove your mp3s without knowing which crates you are removing from.

To be fair that could be solved in another way - if you could point your tracks library reference to the new upgraded version of the file, all crate references would update automatically and you wouldn't even need to find which crates it lived in. Now you can just delete the old mp3 off disk because its not being used anyway.

Yes, that would be great, even better way.

But, I could still think of a couple other reasons for finding what crate a track is in - maybe thats the only reference for a crate I am looking for, it has said track in it.

Quote:

Quote:

Thats an interesting one. On operating systems when you select two folders, the view that shows you inside the folders typically goes blank. However I'm sure we could merge the two lists instead if thats useful.

We'd need to think about what happens if those are parent crates that have sub crates, and if what you see in the view is influenced by 'include subcrate tracks' option too.. I think it would be. Anyway, definitely on the list, even just being able to multiple select crates to delete or move around in the crate list would be great too.

Yes exactly.

Its been some years since I though about it. But ultimately what I was looking for was instead of crates (in addition) having a 'lebel system' like gmail. You would label your songs. Then you could click on several labels and the library view would populate with those songs. Then you could assign a midi key to the label. And one more complication would be a modifier button to subtract a label from the library. So really you could do some complex 'searches' just by pressing some buttons. Kinda like smart crates, but on the fly.

What I started working on is my own label system where I actually use the 'label' field and give my tracks a label which starts with a ' [ ' character. (whats difficult is adding more than one label to a track). But then I can quickly search "[DH" and all my Dancehall tracks show up.

I went on to get a small programable side keyboard which will spit out a string of characters with one key press " (com)+F [DH " would have given me all my Dancehall tracks without even touching the keyboard. I never got to test the theory out having to upgrade to SDJ. deaming

Quote:

Quote:

excellent, that will be great.

Thanks!
Dj Ricky Redz 1:58 PM - 30 April, 2020
Quote:
Hey Dj Ricky Redz,

Quote:

What specifically makes you like this about iTunes? Is it the fact that it makes a copy on import? Or that automatically organises each import in a folder by album, artist etc?

I am curious, and can definitely understand how iTunes takes care of things and makes it easy to have a folder structure, but in my past experience I found that structure to be messy. iTunes is probably better at it now since I last used it...

I agree that the way iTunes handles its folder structure is messy but it eliminates the need to organize the file name and folder structure yourself, for me, that cuts half the work.

If I'm right, other dj apps that import songs (rekordbox, denon prime) does the same with creating a folder structure for imported songs so would be good if sdj can do the same or at least the ability to copy and sync a folder structure like itch-sync did
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:57 AM - 2 May, 2020
Play from File Folders in the left crates panel (there is no need to re-invent the wheel) (anyone that wants to play from folders obviously are super organized at that level so what’s with all the back and forth questions about how it will work?) Just stick a drop down on the left panel and contents can be read just like one is in crates.

Quote:

This is what I wrote somewhere else with regards to the state of Seratos library management.

It’s archaic

No improvement since scratch live days except for double column sorting

Y’all need to get your head out of where it’s buried. The competition is out there and I can say rekordbox is miles ahead in terms of library management.

If you want to charge for it by all means please do. as a separate companion app offline style only, same as you found time to code pyro and studio.

Some common sense library management features

Intelligent Duplicates finder (comparing file type, track length, audio printing) (offline mode only)

Auto relocate

Attributes column (tracks contains cue, loops, flip, video, grids etc) (offline and performance mode)

Date created column (date added gets overwritten when one rebuilds database)

Covid Lockdown and no gigs mean higher probability of folks having more time than they have had in many years to actually clean up their library. Not everyone is willing to start from the scratch and lose years of data.

If you want to charge for this update please go ahead and stop holding everyone to ransom.

Workflow

I’m not so sure again how I feel about the dragging and dropping workflow of serato, when folks start getting old and arthritic joints are kicking in how do you expect us to manage 😬
AKIEM 4:42 PM - 2 May, 2020
Quote:
I’m not so sure again how I feel about the dragging and dropping workflow of serato, when folks start getting old and arthritic joints are kicking in how do you expect us to manage 😬
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:19 AM - 7 May, 2020
Quote:
No, I'm saying a dedicated Preview/Prelisten feature directly from the library ELIMINATES the problem of Tracks being accidentally marked "Played" (because a fader was not fully "off" when the Track was "previewed" in a Deck) as well as the "Prepare" issue AKIEM refers to.

Sorry, but I don't think Akiem and I were discussing tracks being accidentally marked as played as a problem - unless I missed that. I still don't really understand how your solution resolves Akiems issue either, who wants to use the Prepare Panel but not have them marked as played.

I take your point about preview/prelisten being a generally handy feature though!
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:26 AM - 7 May, 2020
Hey Akiem,

Quote:
Its been some years since I though about it. But ultimately what I was looking for was instead of crates (in addition) having a 'lebel system' like gmail. You would label your songs. Then you could click on several labels and the library view would populate with those songs. Then you could assign a midi key to the label. And one more complication would be a modifier button to subtract a label from the library. So really you could do some complex 'searches' just by pressing some buttons. Kinda like smart crates, but on the fly.

What I started working on is my own label system where I actually use the 'label' field and give my tracks a label which starts with a ' [ ' character. (whats difficult is adding more than one label to a track). But then I can quickly search "[DH" and all my Dancehall tracks show up.

I went on to get a small programable side keyboard which will spit out a string of characters with one key press " (com)+F [DH " would have given me all my Dancehall tracks without even touching the keyboard. I never got to test the theory out having to upgrade to SDJ. deaming

This is a real interesting idea. Relies on good tagging/commenting in your library, but once setup it would be super powerful.

I can't help but feel like the 'Browse Panel' we have now is sort of like a weak version of this too, nowhere near as customisable as you describe, but we are looking on the horizon to drastically improve the browse panel, or have better solution entirely. I'll make sure to jot down some of this feedback so we can consider it in the design process.

Thanks!
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:30 AM - 7 May, 2020
Hey Dj Ricky Redz,

Quote:
I agree that the way iTunes handles its folder structure is messy but it eliminates the need to organize the file name and folder structure yourself, for me, that cuts half the work.

If I'm right, other dj apps that import songs (rekordbox, denon prime) does the same with creating a folder structure for imported songs so would be good if sdj can do the same or at least the ability to copy and sync a folder structure like itch-sync did

Why is that type of organisation important to you? I just chuck all my music in one folder and then organise it into crates once I open DJ.

Do you keep that same iTunes structure mirrored in your DJ Library? Does that structure come in handy for browsing the files via your OS?

Is that the fact it makes a copy is part of what you like?
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:44 AM - 7 May, 2020
Hey DJ Marv The Maverick,

Quote:
(anyone that wants to play from folders obviously are super organized at that level so what’s with all the back and forth questions about how it will work?)

I'm not sure its that simple to be honest. Not sure if you have been following this thread but there is a mixture of people wanting different things;

• I want a 1:1 mirror of my directory structure.
• I want to auto import new music into the library, then organise it myself.
• I want a combination of both of the above.

Your solution may only help the first case, but not really address the other two.

Quote:
If you want to charge for this update please go ahead and stop holding everyone to ransom.

I can assure this is not a ransom situation going on here. I want to see these features happen just as much as you do, and pretty much everything you have listed has been discussed as something we want to add.

Unfortunately your observation about minimal additions to the library for some time are accurate, and this is because the foundations of our library were built a long time ago. As it has organically grown without a lot planning for the future, it has reached somewhat of a breaking point, where we can add more, but its really inefficient, expensive and prone to bugs.

However if we retire those technical challenges, we'll be in a better position to add new features at a faster pace with more quality assurance. This is a project I am involved in currently, and we are making great progress, but still with a way to go.

You can't keep adding rooms to the house if you haven't made sure the foundations are stable to do so. While ultimately this is our problem to solve, I thought having some insight to why its taking us so long will help you understand.

Cheers,

Martin
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:12 AM - 7 May, 2020
Quote:
Not sure if you have been following this thread but there is a mixture of people wanting different things;

There is 6 years worth of posts on this thread. 6 years damn.

I summarized as some people wanting their crates to mirror their folder structure, this I believe is what the itch-sync tool did.

I’m like you all my tracks just go into some folders based on lose genre description.

I put in the work to ensure my tags make sense before adding to serato, so I’m happy with crates.

(I could seriously use a file tagging system built into serato btw. Just like in Rekordbox. I’m using rekordbox to do this prior to adding to serato)

But if there is a file folder panel tree on the left panel just under the crates etc and when one clicks on it will it and it shows the same columns as you would have when clicking on a crate will that not do the job?

Virtual DJ has this

And since it’s a real time folder, if one adds files in the operating system the new files will show up in real time, soft refresh. Click on another folder and click back to the folder with new files.

Quote:
Unfortunately your observation about minimal additions to the library for some time are accurate, and this is because the foundations of our library were built a long time ago. As it has organically grown without a lot planning for the future, it has reached somewhat of a breaking point, where we can add more, but its really inefficient, expensive and prone to bugs.

However if we retire those technical challenges, we'll be in a better position to add new features at a faster pace with more quality assurance.

Was the need to support Scratch Live database a reason for this as well?

Quote:
This is a project I am involved in currently, and we are making great progress, but still with a way to go.

You can't keep adding rooms to the house if you haven't made sure the foundations are stable to do so. While ultimately this is our problem to solve, I thought having some insight to why its taking us so long will help you understand.

This is great to hear. Hopefully this will bear fruit soon.

Is backward compatibility an issue in this process?

Maybe a conversion option from old to new, may take hours but once it’s done users may only use the new software, changes will not be cross compatible.

People will complain but they have always got the option to stick with their old ones. Maybe bug supports for another 2 or 3 years then retire.

I love using Serato but I wish it can do more sometimes...(it already does a lot) and it’s the simple stuff I want.

We all have to wait for Serato DJ Pro V3
Dj Ricky Redz 12:08 AM - 25 May, 2020
After encountering a multitude of issues with Apple Music I've come to realize its best to have a feature to sync folders to crates like Itch Sync. most djs that doesn't use iTunes will already have a folder structure that they're used to and would just love the ability to sync folders instead of recreating it in crates. That would be a good starting point!
Harddried 10:22 AM - 26 May, 2020
+1
Dj Ricky Redz 7:10 AM - 27 May, 2020
Quote:
After encountering a multitude of issues with Apple Music I've come to realize its best to have a feature to sync folders to crates like Itch Sync. most djs that doesn't use iTunes will already have a folder structure that they're used to and would just love the ability to sync folders instead of recreating it in crates. That would be a good starting point!

would be nice to also be able to create and organize other crates outside the synced one(s)
DJD-Money 6:51 AM - 6 June, 2020
Plus 1,0000 as this has been going on since SSL and still nothing can we please get something useful like this ?
DJD-Money 6:51 AM - 6 June, 2020
Plus 1,0000 as this has been going on since SSL and still nothing can we please get something useful like this ?
DJ Asi-C 11:04 PM - 10 June, 2020
+1 !!!!
Futuretek 1:20 PM - 12 September, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

would be nice to also be able to create and organize other crates outside the synced one(s)

+1000 this has been an ask forever!
Dj Ricky Redz 3:16 AM - 20 October, 2020
after seeing the update that now has the option to add new tracks from a folder that will automatically be added i think we're getting closer!
Changes I would love to see...
1. option to select the default folder to sync
2. syncing a main folder with full folder structure.

P.S. if there's an alpha being worked on I would love to be in on it. recently lost my entire iTunes library and now have to rebuild my library using folders 😞
Stickybuds~ 9:02 PM - 20 October, 2020
Hey guys,

My friend linked me to this discussion. I'm not gonna read 6 years of posts but I figured out how to re-route Serato libraries to any folders you want, between Mac and PC in real time...

Here is a youtube video I made about it.

youtu.be

The earlier work was done by Geoff Kendall with Symbolic links and Icloud. I sync my serato library between 2 different macs and a PC on dropbox and trick serato's folder hierarchy with symbolic links. Any tracks I add to my main music folders / serato library / playlists all update between the 3 computers in real time basically.

It's a long video with a lot of explanation and step by step, maybe it will help some of you. Check out the time codes.

Biggup.
maydo 12:28 AM - 17 November, 2020
i think it will never happen

i remember suggesting this in bout 2005 :)
AKIEM 7:39 PM - 17 November, 2020
yeah, if its too practical and requested since mid-last-decade (soon decade before the last) - it wont ever happen
DJ Shameless 9:15 AM - 24 November, 2020
if any mac os users are keen on a one-time quick and easy set up to auto import/auto update folders to crates, i've just uploaded a vid explaining a work around that might help.

it works off your existing file/folder management, and just updates your Serato crates. I haven't figured out the sub crates, but i think Smart Crates should solve that.

no itunes, or extra apps to download and this feature has been on Mac OS since Scratch Live days so it will work for that too.

Hope it helps

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Chris Disc 5:59 AM - 29 April, 2021
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

DJ Shameless is on a great idea. This can work for both PC & Mac. I would suggest the use of the Auto Update folder to mimic the crate & subcrate folder structure. Have this match your music library folder structure and just add "Folder Shortcuts" (AKA "Alias Folders" for macs) in the folder structure in "Auto Update" folder in the serato folder. Best implementation to match and update library info to the Serato library database.
DJ_Junior A 12:28 PM - 9 November, 2022
Quote:
This software can sync folders to crates alchimiedj.com i know its another software and you would like it built into SDJ.
But until they do that this will be good for you guys.

I was using Alchimie for years without issue until I got a new Mac and found that it does not work with fully 64 bit OS.

Please implement this feature, as well as when you drag folders to serato, it should create the folders as crates, but also the sub folders as subcrates.
Frozone 4:53 PM - 22 March, 2023
+1