Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Crate LABELLING system

whitenite 9:13 AM - 10 June, 2014
Think Gmail - if you use it. Every email in Gmail can exist in several different folders (called labels). Apply this to music - how many tunes do you have that match several genres or styles? I want to be able to copy a tune to whatever crates are relevant and then be able to:

a.) hover over a tune (while holding a key?) and be able to see WHICH crates that tune is in
b.) search my entire library for tunes that exist in several crates (i.e. match the criteria/sounds that I want)

At the moment, a tune can exist in many crates but good luck figuring out WHICH ones....
Rockett King 10:43 AM - 20 June, 2014
+1

I am surprised no one votes this one. With the tag feature available you could describe each track much more accurately for several purposes. For example you could have one track with tags like Vocal, Afterhours, Deep, Soulful, etc.

The equivalent to this would be replacing each tag with one playlist. You would then have a 4 playlists called Vocal, Afterhours, Deep and Soulful. The problem with this is that the information is not part of the track.

This is something that made perfect sense for a long time. No one seems to realize how handy it would be for DJs to quickly select music using this while playing live.

Also Beatport just released a player that finally has this feature. You can tag any track multiple times.
scornille 1:05 PM - 20 June, 2014
Agree with this if you use standard crates ...
I use to put in "comment" or "genre" this kind of informations and use smart crates with the "contain" filter ... you have the same result at final :)
It's just the reverse solution of your problem i think ;)
DJ Compiler 1:27 PM - 20 June, 2014
I feel like it would just be better to select multiple crates and it display the songs that they have in common.
whitenite 1:29 PM - 20 June, 2014
Quote:
I feel like it would just be better to select multiple crates and it display the songs that they have in common.

I think that would be cool, but I dont see how that would be BETTER
whitenite 1:30 PM - 20 June, 2014
Quote:
I use to put in "comment" or "genre" this kind of informations and use smart crates with the "contain" filter ... you have the same result at final :)

When you're looking at a growing library of 10k songs I think its a little too late to start adding comments! :(
scornille 1:32 PM - 20 June, 2014
@whitenite : that's why i ask for "profiles" for new features ... i have about 4k songs and this feature will be very interesting ...
Rockett King 5:08 PM - 20 June, 2014
Quote:

That's a great idea man, I don't know how I didn't think of this before. I'm definitely going to try this one, thanks.
Rockett King 5:12 PM - 20 June, 2014
I guess the only disadvantage with this approach is that you can't tag/untag multiple files at the same time since that would mean resetting all the tracks' labels.

In other words it's a great workaround but but it's still subpar compared to having a real tagging system which is aware of individual tags.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:38 AM - 21 June, 2014
Hey guys,

Quote:
a.) hover over a tune (while holding a key?) and be able to see WHICH crates that tune is in

This part I understand. I was thinking maybe you could right click > "show crates" then all the crates this file is in, are highlighted in the crate list. Would that work?

Quote:
b.) search my entire library for tunes that exist in several crates (i.e. match the criteria/sounds that I want)

I am not really sure what this means. But if I am thinking correctly, then this:

Quote:

Sounds like the best solution to me.
Mr. Leenknecht 2:38 PM - 21 June, 2014
Quote:

Quote:

This part I understand. I was thinking maybe you could right click > "show crates" then all the crates this file is in, are highlighted in the crate list. Would that work?

Would be great to have this in SDJ, just like in iTunes but I don't use iTunes anymore since it was not recommended.
whitenite 10:38 AM - 9 July, 2014
@Martin C

Quote:

I suppose but Im thinking for on the fly use it would be great to be able to hover over the tune and hold alt or something.. Crowds feeling this joint, where else does it exist so I can grab more tunes that are similar, quickly?

Also, this song sounds like it matches crate x, y or z... why do I have to drag it to each crate (or search those crates) just to make sure? Quick preview is ideal - even if it just displays the first 5 crates next to my cursor

Quote:

I am not really sure what this means. But if I am thinking correctly, then this:

That's probably 2nd prize for me, only because of the pain of scrolling DOWN through hundreds of crates and sub crates

Have you used any Native Instruments VST instruments? Most of them have a screen where you can select certain attributes for a sound you want (Timbre, Genre etc..)

So you might choose "Bass", "Distorted", "Techno", "Transient" to filter results and give you matching patches.

I want to apply this to tunes, except instead of timbre etc.. you have your crates in a grid display or something more user friendly than a long list. Select different crates and see what tunes are common to those (and maybe a BPM filter too). This gives you the exact sounds you're looking for.

Probably a pipe dream at this stage but hope thats clearer...

EZ
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:16 AM - 16 July, 2014
Quote:
Also, this song sounds like it matches crate x, y or z... why do I have to drag it to each crate (or search those crates) just to make sure? Quick preview is ideal - even if it just displays the first 5 crates next to my cursor

Ok I get you, yeah that would be cool.

Quote:
I want to apply this to tunes, except instead of timbre etc.. you have your crates in a grid display or something more user friendly than a long list.

Yeah, I have used the N.I VSTs, I totally know what you mean, its a really useful sorting style.

Have you checked out the "Browse" panel in Serato DJ? Its kinda along these lines, but just not as good as it could be. Perhaps if we were to upgrade this panel some more...
Dj Diamond Lee 3:17 AM - 6 August, 2014
+1
Dj Diamond Lee 12:56 AM - 8 August, 2014
Also send the request on twitter to #askserato. They will resond
Davideon 1:25 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would be great to have this in SDJ, just like in iTunes but I don't use iTunes anymore since it was not recommended.

this gets my vote 100%