Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pulselocker

AKIEM 4:13 PM - 15 October, 2015
What does Pulselocker streaming mean for DJs?
Users with a Pulselocker account will be able to search and stream music from Pulselocker's extensive catalogue within Serato DJ. Pulselocker also offers a unique "offline" storage feature where DJs can store an unlimited amount of Pulselocker music for playback without being online.

Subscribers will have access to around 44 million tracks from nearly 500,000 independent and major labels. Users will also get to trial it for free before deciding if they want to subscribe.

Coming soon to Serato DJ 1.9.
AKIEM 4:13 PM - 15 October, 2015
Interesting.
Gorian 4:33 PM - 15 October, 2015
I don't need another monthly subscription fee.
Hopefully this means that it will be easier for Serato to integrate Spotify-streaming in the future (which I already pay for).

Serato; please?
musiclee 4:38 PM - 15 October, 2015
so i pay $10/month for spotify
$12/month for promo only
will this replace bothspotify & promo only for me?
and did they mention price? the stream was down half the time

anyone?
AKIEM 4:42 PM - 15 October, 2015
if its the only place to get the track....
Cham 4:42 PM - 15 October, 2015
I don't think I will trust streaming from them after they couldn't even stream their announcement about streaming.
AKIEM 4:43 PM - 15 October, 2015
[FP]
Fiyawerx 4:44 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
$12/month for promo only

anyone?

You can guarantee you won't find promo only edits of the tracks on any other service - so if you like their in house edits, keep it. Spotify is still great for their 'on the go' apps for listening to music, and if you're using Serato you aren't using spotify with it anyway, so might as well keep that too. I don't think pulselocker will come close to Spotify's social playlist features, but who knows. Will be worth a trial at least, but it sounds like it won't be replacing either for other uses. Pricing may be interesting though. Didn't they try this a few years ago? djtechtools.com
Fiyawerx 4:45 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
I don't think I will trust streaming from them after they couldn't even stream their announcement about streaming.

Offline caching.
Cham 4:48 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

Offline caching.

I get that. But that is in effect just downloading music to your hard drive, just like we are doing today. Might be simpler though.
AKIEM 4:55 PM - 15 October, 2015
The majors like "streaming".

It would be interesting if there was listening app to go with it.
Maskrider 4:58 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

Lol
Mr. Goodkat 4:58 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

this is pretty funny.

one step closer to human jukebox. cant wait til i only play weird techno and tech house so i dont have to worry about this anymore
KlausMogensen 4:59 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Hopefully this means that it will be easier for Serato to integrate Spotify-streaming in the future (which I already pay for).

Serato; please?

Spotify can't be used in public, so you can't really DJ using it regardless of the integration. The interesting part about Pulselocker is really the licensing, which let you DJ with the content in public

Virtual DJ is to my knowledge the only othe company where the streaming option has content that is licensed for public use. But the number of songs in that pool is nowhere near 44 million
d:raf 5:00 PM - 15 October, 2015
I'll have to see what they have available before I can even thinking about reorganizing my subscriptions. If it replaces Spotify, then cool. I can't see it replacing most record pools though.

I hope it's more robust than Whitelabel.net.
AKIEM 5:00 PM - 15 October, 2015
so what's the quality?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 5:03 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
so what's the quality?

Tracks are downloaded in 320Kbs unless labels have only released 256Kbs versions.
KlausMogensen 5:04 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
so what's the quality?

The video says 320kbs when available from the record companies
Gorian 5:04 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
so what's the quality?

320 when available, according to Digital DJ.
Gorian 5:09 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Serato; please?

Spotify can't be used in public, so you...

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I would (however) much rather see Serato putting the screws on Spotify for a DJ-friendly license option, and then integrate it into Serato. That way, I would still only need one service for all my music-needs.

I'll follow how this whole thing developes. :)
AKIEM 5:13 PM - 15 October, 2015
Yes it would be excellent to stream on my phone to discover new music. Then whatever i select just shows up in SDJ would be the shit.
musiclee 5:13 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
$12/month for promo only

anyone?

You can guarantee you won't find promo only edits of the tracks on any other service - so if you like their in house edits, keep it. Spotify is still great for their 'on the go' apps for listening to music, and if you're using Serato you aren't using spotify with it anyway, so might as well keep that too. I don't think pulselocker will come close to Spotify's social playlist features, but who knows. Will be worth a trial at least, but it sounds like it won't be replacing either for other uses. Pricing may be interesting though. Didn't they try this a few years ago? djtechtools.com

I use promoonly for top 40. Mainstream radio hits.
So if his has them all, goodbye promo only. Hello pulselocker
musiclee 5:15 PM - 15 October, 2015
Not sure i will give up spotify as i use spotify for lots of portuguese brasilian and spanish music

I really doubt pulselocker will have such a vast catalog for international , folk type music, for my weddings. Etc.
Mr. Goodkat 5:30 PM - 15 October, 2015
at this point i really dont think that it would could cover my music better than i already do.

i already took dj city out of the equation because i can find all of their music free or smaller pay services. with cues and flip i can make my own intros.

i dunno, seems like a waste of time for serato.
musiclee 5:36 PM - 15 October, 2015
I think wedding , mobile DJs will benefit from this pulselocker lots if they have all top 40 stuff
Fiyawerx 5:50 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Serato; please?

Spotify can't be used in public, so you can't really DJ using it regardless of the integration. The interesting part about Pulselocker is really the licensing, which let you DJ with the content in public

Virtual DJ is to my knowledge the only othe company where the streaming option has content that is licensed for public use. But the number of songs in that pool is nowhere near 44 million

I think the term you are looking for is commercial, not public. Technically, almost all of the 'purchase' sites you get music from tell you they can only be used for non-commercial purposes. Mostly to prevent you from reselling them. DJ's come into a gray area when it comes to that clause, I think. ASCAP/BMI doesn't care where you get your files from, you just need a license from THEM to play publically (the venue is responsible for it) - things like weddings and private parties don't even need ASCAP/BMI licenses. iTunes? Non-Commercial, Amazon? Non-Commercial Google Play? Non commercial. Spotify? Non-commercial. I'm willing to bet that even Pulselocker will have to include that phrase in their TOS, and DJ's will still play out with it. Technically, which law are you breaking there / who would get you for it? The files are "legal" - ASCAP/BMI have their performance fee, etc.. the only company I've ever heard of policing their media shift licenses is for karaoke, and that's another ballgame altogether.
boabmatic 6:11 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Yes it would be excellent to stream on my phone to discover new music. Then whatever i select just shows up in SDJ would be the shit.

On the live stream they said a mobile app will be released in Q2 2016
AKIEM 6:16 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

On the live stream they said a mobile app will be released in Q2 2016

Ok. Nice. Mark for download.
(and collecting data :)
Lozilla 9:33 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
I think wedding , mobile DJs will benefit from this pulselocker lots if they have all top 40 stuff

Musiclee hit it right on the head. This is a mobile DJ's dream come true....potentially. Being able to stream a random top 40 track, or some obscurity from the 80's would be huge. Assuming their library goes that deep.
raedonquan 2:30 AM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Musiclee hit it right on the head. This is a mobile DJ's dream come true....potentially. Being able to stream a random top 40 track, or some obscurity from the 80's would be huge. Assuming their library goes that deep.

hehe provided that your wifi stick or have a signal when you tether your phone....

there are places i have played no cell signal... so can fully rely on it

but not a bad feature to have
mister_wilson 3:04 AM - 16 October, 2015
eh, This would only help a deejay that doesn't know how to prep for gigs or stay current? Who wants to depend on streaming (expensive to use personal hotspot that might be bandwidth limited) ? Who wants to go straight from cloud to deck without hearing the song first? Who is too lazy to look at media base and stay current? Yeah every once in a while I lament I didn't pull a song or 2 into my hard drive prior to a gig yet, but if I have wifi, I can still download realtime (although I can't do it from serato DJ GUI.)

Now, those STEMS on Traktor sound cool, so if they start putting up exclusive tracks with STEMS available, and serato supports the file type? Maybe I will be back. But as it is...there is nothing to be excited about unless you are a hack DJ.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:24 AM - 16 October, 2015
Hey guys,

One great thing to remind you about Pulselocker is that you don't just have to stream tracks - you have unlimited downloads from their entire catalog. Download at home as much as you like, have a listen, then play the files worry free at your gig! The streaming option is always there if you need it (e.g. for a request and you don't have the song).

Cheers,
Michael.
musiclee 3:39 AM - 16 October, 2015
Agree Michael

For those who dont pulselocker, don't use it, thats all
For all others, bring us 1.9
musiclee 3:41 AM - 16 October, 2015
"Who don't want or care for pulselocker".....
Daniel Ventura 7:10 AM - 16 October, 2015
how about lossless Music?
DJ Tecniq 8:14 AM - 16 October, 2015
Uh so how is this exactly "worry free" dropouts still can occur yes? And what will this provide me that an MP3 pool can't? Fix the problems with SDJ first. Does this mean Whitelabel is being phased out... I was hoping the big announcement would be bringing Scratchlive back😦😕
Dj Wunder 9:57 AM - 16 October, 2015
I'm excited about the news. I'm a Spotify subscriber and I've long wanted to put together a playlist while streaming music on the go, that would automagically show up in Serato. On top of that I can easily buy the music I like, all inside SDJ. Peace iTunes
musiclee 12:33 PM - 16 October, 2015
Does SDJ dynamically update The pulselocker playlists created on pulselocker website?

If so, wouldn't that put more strain on computer?

Or will there be a right click on pulse logo to refresh, update ?
musiclee 12:38 PM - 16 October, 2015
I mean, dynamic update on pulse crates would be cool but not at the expense of the computer's resources.
maarawoe 12:46 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
I was hoping the big announcement would be bringing Scratchlive back😦😕

I was hoping for the Bridge and tighter Ableton collaboration... :(
musiclee 2:58 PM - 16 October, 2015
perhaps a dynamic update every 5 min, when BOTH decks are NOT playing?
monkeyfunk 3:09 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Does SDJ dynamically update The pulselocker playlists created on pulselocker website?

If so, wouldn't that put more strain on computer?

Or will there be a right click on pulse logo to refresh, update ?

I would guess that browsing Pulselocker wouldn't put any greater strain than viewing the iTunes store. In both cases, you're looking at a gussied-up webpage,it's only the actual download that would use any significant CPU, and even then not much.
d:raf 3:53 PM - 16 October, 2015
I'm FAR more interested in the offline download option than the live streaming option.
musiclee 4:20 PM - 16 October, 2015
d:raf

you get BOTH options with pulselocker
YOU choose which to use or not use
d:raf 4:25 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
d:raf

you get BOTH options with pulselocker
YOU choose which to use or not use

Yes, I noticed :).

I'm amused that some people don't bother to read descriptions all the way through before going all Grouchy Smurf on the subject.

vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net
DJ Tecniq 7:33 PM - 16 October, 2015
I see this cause cpu issue's esp over wifi...there's already mad reports of dropouts for the beta. I would of thought this wouldn't be beneficial. A software that's stable now that's beneficial ;)
DJ Tecniq 7:39 PM - 16 October, 2015
Good luck. Looks to be a complete fail...Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 7:41 PM - 16 October, 2015
Also check out the video...Notice the cpu meter it's almost at red! This shits gonna cause major dropouts once the new OSX gets approved. Be cautious dj's! Watchwww.youtube.com
musiclee 8:47 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Also check out the video...Notice the cpu meter it's almost at red! This shits gonna cause major dropouts once the new OSX gets approved. Be cautious dj's! Watchwww.youtube.com

that was like 2 years ago!!!
DJ Tecniq 8:53 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
that was like 2 years ago!!!
Sure about that it's in seato's tutorial video. Check the indicator brah!
DJ Tecniq 8:53 PM - 16 October, 2015
serato's*
musiclee 9:29 PM - 16 October, 2015
That video shows Serato scratch live
We talking SDJ.
Maybe I'm missing something here
AKIEM 9:30 PM - 16 October, 2015
...somethings missing...
akakak 7:45 AM - 17 October, 2015
I think I automatically considered this to be a sh*t idea. I was disappointed with the announcement, mainly since I couldn't watch or hear it at all. A complete failure of a PR stunt.

The more that I think about it though, a huge pool of tracks that are licensed for DJing opens up new opportunities. I know lots of you have your sets all planned ahead of time, and I prefer that too. But sometimes I get to play for longer, or I get an unexpected slot, or I want to be a bit more spontaneous.

To get a request, or think of something you forgot, and then add that track on the fly is a pretty cool feature. And to be honest, downloading a track over WiFi and adding it to a library *should* be pretty low stress for the machine. ("should" being the operative word; I agree SDJ needs to get more reliable but Serato can't let it stagnate feature-wise)

The real measure of this, will be to see what kind of tracks Pulselocker has in their library and what's missing. There was enough missing from Spotify to stop me getting a subscription.

Does anyone know a way to view Pulselocker's library?
Maskrider 10:30 AM - 17 October, 2015
Now we can compete with the in house jukebox at the Bar.
Maskrider 10:31 AM - 17 October, 2015
How much Do you think I will charge per song?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:50 AM - 17 October, 2015
Quote:

It is almost in the red but you kinda have to factor in the screen grab/recording as well.... This isn't something I would use though because if you ever cancel you'd loose all the tracks to you downloaded I'm sure. So you might as well buy them anyways.
Dj Wunder 1:21 PM - 17 October, 2015
And that's the beauty of it. You can actually buy songs that are worth a damn, and just stream the garbage "must plays" without clutttering your permanent library. As a mobile DJ this is a big win. I would often open iTunes and download tracks in the middle of an event without issue, but maybe that has to do with using OSX Mavericks instead of jumping on Yosemite and El Capitan like so many. Now it's all integrated
Beau_Barger 1:32 PM - 17 October, 2015
Quote:
I think I automatically considered this to be a sh*t idea. I was disappointed with the announcement, mainly since I couldn't watch or hear it at all. A complete failure of a PR stunt.

I was and sorta am still on the same page, but you know, after trying the Pioneer option, Serato as a whole is actually better software, right now.
My wish is that they would give me a feature that equals DJ performance, as far as how I DJ. I get that for a mobile DJ this is heaven, they can DL or stream the song.
Just not something I would use, and was really hoping they would announce SP-8 or 64 bit support, or a Stems style plug in, or well, any number of things that we all want.
We will see where they go, but I personally cannot find a use in it, for me.
Mr. Goodkat 6:03 PM - 17 October, 2015
Quote:
You can actually buy songs that are worth a damn, and just stream the garbage "must plays" without clutttering your permanent library.

but its not like 99% of people dont already do this.

with file sharing and torrents and 20 record pools this just isnt needed. for the most part intro tracks for pop and hip hop are cool, but the originals are fairly easy to find.

this has to be a way for serato to make money because its lame idea at best and is an insult to a program that needs to work on what it does before the things it doesnt do.
Mr. Goodkat 6:05 PM - 17 October, 2015
and by already do this i mean, they dont stream, but really this looks like more of an offline tool because who would trust a streaming track in a live situation? in 3 minutes anything could happen or in 3 seconds.
boabmatic 6:23 PM - 17 October, 2015
From the demo it looks like when you cue a track it starts downloading to the laptop and analyses the track .. So by the time you go to play the track it's probably playing from your drive anyway rather that the web..

I guess once you unload the track it get removed from your laptop as its not marketed for offline play.
Cwite 9:43 PM - 17 October, 2015
I can see this as a great feature. Lots of reasons to use this.

An example of when I would have used this about 6 weeks ago. I have recently moved home to the other end of the country and have picked up some agency work to get me going. So I turn up to my first gig for them. The brief was simple. The equipment is all there. You just need to take your decks and laptop. It's a wedding (not my thing, but it's work). The couple got married abroad and are just throwing a party for family and friends now that they are home. They want mostly modern chart stuff. Easy.

So I roll up with my SZ ready to rock and I find the happy couple. They are both mid/late 50s and don't really want anything much beyond the 90's.....Ah (sinking feeling).... The average age of the room was high, so what they want is what the room will probably want too. BTW we love anything by Edwin Starr.......are you shitting me??? Not exactly the brief. Shafted by the agency I go online to save a potential disaster of a gig. I then had to pay for and download LOTS of requests that I didn't want to play and will probably never play again, which could have effectively been borrowed from pulselocker for the night.

I'm all for it. I can think of loads of times a lending library of song would have been handy. It won't stop me buying music, far from it. But it will potentially stop "if you haven't got it, can you play it off my phone?" type requests.
Beau_Barger 5:41 AM - 18 October, 2015
@Cwite, for your style and type of DJ work, this is perfect, no question.
serkan 11:03 AM - 18 October, 2015
I can't stand all those jukebox comments. How is a library of 44 million tracks different than buying tracks at Beatport, Juno, iTunes, etc.?
Sorry, but this sounds just stupid and ignorant than anything else.

I define myself as a DJ through my selection and my mixing skills. None of this is getting lost when using a streaming service.
Even though I will not jump on the streaming train anytime soon I don't think it will change the way DJs select their songs at all.
irieproductions 3:57 PM - 18 October, 2015
I read that it will be 19.99 for the "professional package" of pulselocker, this will allow you to get the tracks offline.

It's a considerable amount of money if you have to pay an extra fee for your djcity or whatever pool you are subscribed to.

If pulselocker brings dj friendly edits could be worth it but if not i highly doubt everyone will be jumping into that wagon.
akakak 4:07 PM - 18 October, 2015
20 a month? That is a lot.
d:raf 4:12 PM - 18 October, 2015
Twice as much as Spotify, but the same price as Tidal or Franchise Record Pool.

It's definitely going to boil down to selection. I'm not adding a bill to my budget, but I'll gladly replace one if it's worth it.
AKIEM 5:18 PM - 18 October, 2015
I've purchase CDs for $20.

What's happening here is less about Serato providing you a new feature instead of another. They are staking a claim in the new streaming subscription economy just like everyone else.
d:raf 5:34 PM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:
I've purchase(d) CDs for $20.

Me too, 10-15 years ago :). Nowadays for me to pay more than $5 for one it has to be -REALLY- special (or a multi-disc set of some sort).

I love digging for them in pawn shops.
Mr. Goodkat 8:17 PM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:

What's happening here is less about Serato providing you a new feature instead of another. They are staking a claim in the new streaming subscription economy just like everyone else.

but its not really them, its pulselocker. it seems its just their integration into serato.

still think its not the worst idea, but energy and time innovating could be spent better elsewhere surely
AKIEM 8:52 PM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

but its not really them, its pulselocker. it seems its just their integration into serato.

still think its not the worst idea, but energy and time innovating could be spent better elsewhere surely

Well some type of partnership.

Just think there is other reasons its done now besides being high on the feature list.

Streaming on the phone, clicking a button and having it show up in a crate will be sweet tho
AKIEM 8:55 PM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Me too, 10-15 years ago :). Nowadays for me to pay more than $5 for one it has to be -REALLY- special (or a multi-disc set of some sort).

I'm back to picking up $20+ vinyl... first time I've ever had more shelves than vinyl...

but $20 a month ain't shit.... cmon
serkan 9:48 PM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:
20 a month? That is a lot.

Really? I spent about €50-100/month back in the days of vinyl.
Now I'm at €30-40/month since I switched to digital (about 95% iTunes, 5% Beatport).

$20 is a steal if the catalogue is good as iTunes or even Beatport.

The only reasons for me to only test but not really get into Pulselocker are:
- I want to own the music in case
- I don't want to lose my collection when Pulselocker (or any other music streaming service) dies down the road
- I want to be able to record my sets internally within SDJ which is not allowed
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:57 PM - 18 October, 2015
Hi musiclee,

Quote:

In the first release, Serato DJ will check this on startup. If you make changes to a playlist outside of Serato DJ, you will need to restart the application. Note that you can edit Pulselocker playlists in Serato DJ.

Edit: Sorry I was wrong, you can only edit playlists on the Pulselocker site.

In a future update, we will add a button to allow you to choose when the Pulselocker playlists are refreshed.

Cheers,
Michael.
AddamXavier 10:15 PM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm back to picking up $20+ vinyl... first time I've ever had more shelves than vinyl...

but $20 a month ain't shit.... cmon

The problem I have with it is all that music is only available as long as you pay that. So making an analogy to physical media (hell even record pools) don't quite work. However, for the tradeoff of not owning your music, you get to be a lot more versatile, which I can definitely see as being an advantage for certain types of DJs.
H2H 11:40 PM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:
In a future update, we will add a button to allow you to choose when the Pulselocker playlists are refreshed.

If you can do that, you can add a sync folder option too... no ?
Michael please come on serato.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:55 AM - 19 October, 2015
I'm afraid that's not for me to decide but we are aware that people are interested in that option :)
deejdave 2:21 AM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
Edit: Sorry I was wrong, you can only edit playlists on the Pulselocker site.

So this seemingly the Pulselocker I remember.

I am hoping Pulselocker saved my playlists from before the regrouping. I believe my subscription used to be $10 and if I remember correctly the numbers of songs available to you at any given time were EXTREMELY low and this was what I felt kept it from becoming a total success. Even at the highest tier I remember something like 1,000 songs available to you and if you MUST pick these songs ahead of time as it could get a little tedious. Streaming is a concept in which all SHOULD be instant. Instant playback, instant loading and DEFINITELY instant song selection. After all what is the point of having access to up to the minute catalogs if you in fact may not instantly pick your playlist at any given moment within Serato itself.

All things considered $20 a month is dirt cheap when considering the amount of money that gets dumped into your music and is the same price I pay for Spotify. Which reminds me I wonder what their policy will be on multi users as I used to simply have multiple user names but this was before it actually mattered as there was no partnership with Serato and I never really considered it an actual tool until now.
AKIEM 2:49 AM - 19 October, 2015
Hmmmm.

Well yeah, there could be a lot of show stoppers....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:36 AM - 19 October, 2015
Hey deejdave,

Let me answer a couple of your questions:

Quote:
I remember correctly the numbers of songs available to you at any given time were EXTREMELY low and this was what I felt kept it from becoming a total success. Even at the highest tier I remember something like 1,000 songs available to you

Pulselocker have reduced the number of tiers and now there are only two. The tier that we support allows for unlimited downloads & streaming from a selection of 44 million tracks.

Quote:
if you MUST pick these songs ahead of time as it could get a little tedious. Streaming is a concept in which all SHOULD be instant. Instant playback, instant loading and DEFINITELY instant song selection.

You don't need to pick songs ahead of time, the only thing that you can't do in Serato DJ yet is create or edit Pulselocker playlists. What you can do is search Pulselocker's entire library instantly, load to deck and play, or add to crates. It's just like having all the tracks in your library!
AKIEM 3:39 AM - 19 October, 2015
Can you play the downloaded tracks when off line?
Serato
Richard W 4:14 AM - 19 October, 2015
there are a few things the software need to check, for example if you have a valid and current Pulselocker subscription, but the short answer is yes you can play the "offline" Pulselocker track when offline
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:20 AM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:

Just to expand on what Richard has said, you can play the downloaded tracks when offline (not connected to the Internet) and when in offline mode (no hardware connected).
AKIEM 4:56 AM - 19 October, 2015
Ok good.

...but your subscription has to be up to date.

So it is possible for the service to fold one day and you loose access to your tracks?

And recording mixes with these tracks inside SDJ is that somehow limited?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:01 AM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:

Correct. You have access to all files you have downloaded as long as your subscription with Pulselocker is up to date.

Quote:
So it is possible for the service to fold one day and you loose access to your tracks?
Yes, but this is the risk with any online music service.

Quote:

Correct. If you have a Pulselocker track loaded to a deck, you can't start a recording. If you have a recording already going, then you can't load a Pulselocker track to a deck.
AKIEM 5:24 AM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Correct. You have access to all files you have downloaded as long as your subscription with Pulselocker is up to date.

Quote:
Yes, but this is the risk with any online music service.

Well except I don't make a living based on organizing my Pandora likes...

Ok, just something to consider. Not that there is anything that can be done about it.

Quote:

Quote:

Correct. If you have a Pulselocker track loaded to a deck, you can't start a recording. If you have a recording already going, then you can't load a Pulselocker track to a deck.

Ok that kinda sux to.... is what it is.

These are the types of things which make this kind of feature secondary instead of primary...
Dj Wunder 5:32 AM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
Ok good.

Pay for the tracks you deem worthy. [Solved]
AKIEM 6:08 AM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Ok good.

Pay for the tracks you deem worthy. [Solved]

Obviously. I'm just saying, giving feedback in case anyone is listening... these are the type of things and others which make the the service less usable or unnecessary
musiclee 1:44 PM - 19 October, 2015
if you become a member of pulselocker
download a ton of tracks
then stop your subscription
can you play the previously downloaded tracks while you were a member?
are they mp3? or are they encrypted by SDJ?
deejdave 2:41 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
if you become a member of pulselocker download a ton of tracks then stop your subscription can you play the previously downloaded tracks while you were a member?

Quote:
You have access to all files you have downloaded as long as your subscription with Pulselocker is up to date.

C'Mon Now!! Did ya really think they would allow that? ;)
deejdave 2:54 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
are they mp3? or are they encrypted by SDJ?

MP3? I would assume so being the numbers 320 and 256 are being thrown around. Encrypted by SDJ? I would assume this to work similar to Spotify but it would be Pulselocker who would be adding their watermark, encryption or other method not Serato.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:22 PM - 19 October, 2015
Just more stuff to go wrong while spinning. I hope they fix the other issues before they relase 1.9 because anytime I DJ with WiFi on, Serato DJ will randomly dropout or stop reading the control signal correctly. I've had it happen multiple times already and to restart Serato DJ to fix it.
deejdave 3:59 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
Just more stuff to go wrong while spinning. I hope they fix the other issues before they relase 1.9 because anytime I DJ with WiFi on, Serato DJ will randomly dropout or stop reading the control signal correctly. I've had it happen multiple times already and to restart Serato DJ to fix it.

Sounds like a problem indeed. I haven't had to shut off the wi-fi for years now. As a matter of fact not only do I use some online functions but some of my DJ apps even require an internet connection to work such as Djay Pro & Flow8Deck (Mixed in Key).

BTW @ Michael R thanks for clarifying that was very helpful. In retrospect I realize I should have know at least one of the items :)
musiclee 4:41 PM - 19 October, 2015
i say SDJ-pulselocker updates every 10 min, IF players are both stopped
deejdave 4:56 PM - 19 October, 2015
If you are speaking of new music it should update when the music is released by the record labels just as it is currently done with Spofity and every other streaming service I know of. If you are speaking of older music I would hope it is already on there as I don't think any new 80's music will be coming out any time soon ;)

I say the updates work as they do in every other streaming service.
musiclee 5:02 PM - 19 October, 2015
i am talking about refreshing your playlists, so you change on pulselocker, it changes in SDJ
musiclee 5:05 PM - 19 October, 2015
also,

would be VERY useful if we had subplaylists, "subfolders" as does Spotify, and every DJ app including SDJ
AKIEM 5:07 PM - 19 October, 2015
Thought the tracks could be added to exisitng SDJ crates?
musiclee 5:08 PM - 19 October, 2015
i think i remember seeing pulselocker songs under a pulselocker "crate", no subcrates, i could be wrong....
AKIEM 5:09 PM - 19 October, 2015
How about being able to purchase lossless tracks which simple replace 320 version and wont ever just quit working one day?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:06 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like a problem indeed. I haven't had to shut off the wi-fi for years now. As a matter of fact not only do I use some online functions but some of my DJ apps even require an internet connection to work such as Djay Pro & Flow8Deck (Mixed in Key).

It only happens when I'm connect to a Pioneer 900 SRT.. I'm pretty sure it's a firmware issue

BTW @ Michael R thanks for clarifying that was very helpful. In retrospect I realize I should have know at least one of the items :)
Serato
Richard W 8:08 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
Thought the tracks could be added to exisitng SDJ crates?

yes Pulselocker tracks can be added to your normal SDJ crates
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:06 PM - 19 October, 2015
Hmm I doubt these are even actual mp3 files but more like a cached file that can only be played in the PL player or SDJ.

NO legitimate pool gives you unlimited downloads for 20 bucks a month!! And if they are then this is not gonna last just like GrooveShark and VDJ......
d:raf 11:10 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
NO legitimate pool gives you unlimited downloads for 20 bucks a month!! And if they are then this is not gonna last just like GrooveShark and VDJ......

Franchise does... are they not legitimate?
deejdave 11:23 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
NO legitimate pool gives you unlimited downloads for 20 bucks a month!! And if they are then this is not gonna last just like GrooveShark and VDJ

Please keep in mind they are not "giving" you anything. You are being allowed access to them WHILE you have an active subscription.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:17 AM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
Please keep in mind they are not "giving" you anything. You are being allowed access to them WHILE you have an active subscription.

Exactly. You have access to the Pulselocker catalogue and your downloaded files for as long as you have a valid subscription. If this lapses, you are no longer able to access these.
Daniel Ventura 8:21 AM - 20 October, 2015
im courious how long it takes till someone decrypt the Container or find a way to extract the files from it :-)
WarpNote 10:11 AM - 20 October, 2015
So, will Pulselocker have any curated lists, top/genre charts etc? Like other pools and Spotify? Would be cool IMO. Sorry for my ignorance, never tried Pulselocker in the past.
musiclee 1:40 PM - 20 October, 2015
a TOP40 in every genre would be very useful and welcomed
musiclee 1:49 PM - 20 October, 2015
i suggest Serato adds a right-click option to refresh-resync pulse files
JamieCastle 7:47 PM - 20 October, 2015
how will hotcues and grids work??
Serato, Support
Sam GG 8:02 PM - 20 October, 2015
Hey JamieCastle,

BPM, Waveform, Overviews, Beatgrids and Key will all be analyzed when a pulselocker track is played or a downloaded pulselocker track is analyzed in the offline player. This information along with any Cues, Flips and Loops will be stored locally (on your machine) per user.

Sam
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:52 PM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
So, will Pulselocker have any curated lists, top/genre charts etc? Like other pools and Spotify? Would be cool IMO. Sorry for my ignorance, never tried Pulselocker in the past.

You can follow a genre, and they will have a top 50 list for every genre. Curated playlists are something that Pulselocker are hoping to have in time, but not on launch.
Dj Wunder 10:52 PM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

You can follow a genre, and they will have a top 50 list for every genre. Curated playlists are something that Pulselocker are hoping to have in time, but not on launch.

Seems like something that could be farmed out to the Serato community
AKIEM 10:54 PM - 20 October, 2015
Just annoyed that some of these security methods do more to bother the user than stop IP theft.

pc
Beau_Barger 11:51 PM - 20 October, 2015
Serato staff, do we know what re-validation time is on "stored" music. So say, I download a track, hold in said locker, and then I go off line, how long do I have before I have to re-validate.
Reason I ask, I work with O365 and it needs to check in on line once every 30 days, what is it like with this, and what measures are in place to assure that this wont be at a gig, where it happens to need to check in, and suddenly no tracks from Pulselocker are available.
Only reason I make this a point is many, I included, RARELY keep my DJ laptop online.
Beau_Barger 11:52 PM - 20 October, 2015
I don't grammar, but I do those run on sentences!
Serato, Support
Jamie W 11:53 PM - 20 October, 2015
Hey Beau_Barger,

You need to open Serato DJ while connected to the internet once every 30 days.
This re-validates your license so you can continue to use Pulselocker tracks offline.

Thanks
Jamie
DJ Barticus 1:11 AM - 21 October, 2015
as long as we are living in the future, why not have the tracks analyzed on the server side and download with overviews already made?

Quote:
Hey JamieCastle,

BPM, Waveform, Overviews, Beatgrids and Key will all be analyzed when a pulselocker track is played or a downloaded pulselocker track is analyzed in the offline player. This information along with any Cues, Flips and Loops will be stored locally (on your machine) per user.

Sam
WarpNote 1:48 AM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:
Only reason I make this a point is many, I included, RARELY keep my DJ laptop online.

TBH if you don't keep your computer online regularly, then you might not want to use an online library. Just sayin'. ie you might need to alter your online habits somewhat...
How would you even get the tracks if not online once in a while.. ?
deejdave 1:55 AM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:
TBH if you don't keep your computer online regularly, then you might not want to use an online library. Just sayin'. ie you might need to alter your online habits somewhat...

In all fairness I do have two MacBook Pro's that I only connect online to download updates (firm/soft) as well as to manage licenses. I use my other two for the real online things (Djay Pro running Spotify, Splice, etc.) and then finally I use my PC's for the actual downloading of music and online playtime so this is not entirely out of line. That being said this is certainly reason enough for me to start using my Serato machines online.

Then again:
Quote:
once in a while

&
Quote:
RARELY

Translate to the same in my head LOL.
Beau_Barger 2:14 AM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:

Yeah, I use a separate laptop to DJ with, and I can say I am not alone in this, in fact, I only have DJ programs on that particular laptop. I don't even run anti-virus, there is no need to, as I grab all tracks from my main PC, then use an external drive strictly for DJing. I run an optimizer script to turn off all functions that could hinder issues, i.e. wireless, and its worked well for me for a very long time.
If an update from Serato comes out that I deem necessary, I may take it online, or I just pop the installer onto a flash and do it that way.
I work as a tech professionally, and if you do not need the updates Windows or other manufacturers put out, why risk damaging or introducing a bug....
Again, I have only used pools in the past, I play house and trance music pretty exclusively, so, your right, we will see if this will be advantageous to me. Even when I searched for a pool, I only found that ZIP DJ was the only one that carried what I want, so be it.
musiclee 2:30 AM - 21 October, 2015
The only way pulselocker will be succesful, at keast for mobile DJ's such as I
Is if their catalog is as extensive as Spotify's

I doubt they will have as much music, especially in the international genres
In particular, portuguese, spanish, brasilian which is 50% of my repertoire
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:24 AM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:

Not that they will have all the same songs, but Spotify say their library is "over 30 million" (press.spotify.com) whereas Pulselocker's library is 44 million.
WarpNote 8:39 AM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:
Yeah, I use a separate laptop to DJ with, and I can say I am not alone in this, in fact, I only have DJ programs on that particular laptop.
Gotcha, guess the workarounds would either be to have the pulselocker app installed on your phone and make sure you log in from that every now and then, or just login to pulselocker from the "my serato" option inside SDJ every now and then...

Quote:
Again, I have only used pools in the past, I play house and trance music pretty exclusively, so, your right, we will see if this will be advantageous to me. Even when I searched for a pool, I only found that ZIP DJ was the only one that carried what I want, so be it.
Very true, Intrigued myself to find out just how extensive the catalog will be.
Cwite 8:55 AM - 21 October, 2015
I cant wait for someone to ask the question at a gig,

"So how many songs do you have on there?"
deejdave 10:05 PM - 21 October, 2015
Out of curiosity how many here have never streamed a song during live playback?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 10:33 PM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:

Never have, probably never will
musiclee 10:41 PM - 21 October, 2015
I know DJ Dynamite is not a mobile-wedding DJ. :-)
d:raf 10:43 PM - 21 October, 2015
Quote:

Depends on if you're talking about within a DJ app or just in Spotify.

With DJ apps, I've only tried at home when testing the Spotify integration in the DJay 2 app. Seemed to work great, but I only did it for 2-3 songs so that hardly qualifies as a thorough test (for me anyway).

With Spotify alone, I've used it for a "realtime" request or two in the past, but I always added it to an offline playlist before playing it so I don't know if that counts as true "streaming playback".
deejdave 11:06 PM - 21 October, 2015
I was actually asking for both in hopes for details such as yours. I was pretty much hoping to see the mention of the cache or use of offline playists etc. VERY smart way to go about it and this is exactly what is missing from the Djay Pro software for Mac. The good news is each song is cached individually as it plays as in you can even shut the internet off and the songs already loaded will still play without even a hiccup.

Don't get me wrong I fully maintain my personal library even more meticulously than ever but not worrying about filling the gaps in my less than useful genres (country, Latin, etc.) is utter bliss and lets me focus my time on my bread & butter genres. I use Promo Only Gold for all genres, DJCity for specialty releases, and purchase regularly from Traxsource & Beatport as well as iTunes when I have to.

Spotify has been a godsend and I am extremely hopeful Pulselocker library will be a bit of what I remember on steroids.
Chita79 1:42 AM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Not that they will have all the same songs, but Spotify say their library is "over 30 million" (press.spotify.com) whereas Pulselocker's library is 44 million.

Does pulselocker have extended intro mixes of songs as well?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:44 AM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
Does pulselocker have extended intro mixes of songs as well?

It all comes down to what the record label releases.

Remember there is the FLIP expansion pack for Serato DJ.
You could make your own extended intro versions :)

Jamie
Dj Wunder 2:37 AM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:

A few times with spotify/Djay. I once did an entire 5th grade grad (I was outside and rain came out of nowhere, so the main rig got packed up)

I have a 3 hour "jazz standards background" gig coming up in a month that will be mostly mic work. Best believe the iPad will be the main rig
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:56 AM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:

Yes Ive done this with VDJ many times when they first started their streaming service (both audio and video). Never had a problem but its something I wouldn't recommend doing an entire gig.......for a few obscure requests but other then that I just didn't really have a use for it so I dropped it. Theres cost 10 bucks for the audio and 50 bucks for the video and now they have a Karaoke subscription aswell.

I understand how this could be useful but what DJ has everything under the sun mobile or club?? And even with this streaming service some of the request are not gonna fit the format of the night or just be a shit request period.

What I do now is if I don't have the request Ill type it in notepad or something and when I get home Ill check it out on YouTube. If its something I can use Ill just buy otherwise it wont get downloaded or played. Also understand Im purely a club/bar dj, NO weddings so having everything under the sun is not ever gonna happen here, lmao!!

Also I don't really wanna add 1 more thing since I have Twitter, Instagram and Facebook quartz file running on the screens. And if Im using VDJ then Ill also have a modem with a sim card plugged in for the text 2 screen and shout-outs on screen.....

This is just a way for the company to make some side change which I understand and I have no problem with it but this is something they wont be getting my money for, lol!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 5:25 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:

Actually, I do mobile events and weddings. I just do makes sure to do prep before the event, just like I did when I was spinning only vinyl
R-Dub 8:06 PM - 22 October, 2015
great, another nail in the coffin of the Art of Djing.
d:raf 9:04 PM - 22 October, 2015
Ya'll act like having access to more tracks in real time is the same thing as actually knowing them, or that having access to more tracks will eliminate the need to prepare before a gig.

Even with my current library on my HD, I still pull tracks out and build gig-specific crates just because searching through 18k tracks looking for what to play next is a pain in the ass (even with "search"). Now imagine doing that with 44 million.
Dj Wunder 9:06 PM - 22 October, 2015
Quote:
Ya'll act like having access to more tracks in real time is the same thing as actually knowing them, or that having access to more tracks will eliminate the need to prepare before a gig.

I don't recall anyone making that case.

But yeah always prepare...
deejdave 1:14 AM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Yes Ive done this with VDJ many times when they first started their streaming service (both audio and video). Never had a problem but its something I wouldn't recommend doing an entire gig.......for a few obscure requests but other then that I just didn't really have a use for it so I dropped it. Theres cost 10 bucks for the audio and 50 bucks for the video and now they have a Karaoke subscription aswell.

Understood. Just think IF VDJ's streaming option was legal and legit how useful it could have been. It wasn't but this is so I am hopeful. Just a measely $20 a month anyways right? LOL They are certainly adding up though thats for sure.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:30 AM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Understood. Just think IF VDJ's streaming option was legal and legit how useful it could have been. It wasn't but this is so I am hopeful. Just a measely $20 a month anyways right? LOL They are certainly adding up though thats for sure.

Legal or illegal ain't gonna make it anymore appealing to me, lmao!!

If Serato wants more money from me they gotta come with some else 😜
deejdave 3:38 AM - 23 October, 2015
I would assume it is Pulselocker cashing the VAST majority if not all of that check anyways. To be honest this more or less sounds like Pulselocker is doing the leg work and Serato is simply allowing their system (playlist) files to be read and the codec to play said files is loaded into Serato. In other words not much effort on team Serato's part and this IS one of the more requested items around here for the past year or so.

There will be more but I can't resist on the "pimp my Serato" concept anyways so........
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:29 AM - 23 October, 2015
We both know Dave "Serato" does nothing for "free" anymore 😜 ......

Like I said this May be good for other such as yourself but for me it's gonna be a no go.

There's no one I play for that I need to impress that badly where I need every track at my finger tips.

I guess there's no reason people shouldn't treat you (not you in general but generally speaking) like an iPod anymore??
d:raf 4:42 AM - 23 October, 2015
So you can't/won't use it... I think we got it. ;).
AKIEM 4:46 AM - 23 October, 2015
...but if it evolves into some 'smart' next selection type thing - based on key, bpm, charts, etc.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:44 AM - 23 October, 2015
Dear Serato,
Can we go back to Scratch Live & Serato DJ being 2 separate programs? That way we can have 1 stable product for the professionals and you can have a different buggy product full of bells & whistles for everyone else.

Thank you,
Concerned DJs everywhere
lofty 1:49 PM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Dear Serato,
Can we go back to Scratch Live & Serato DJ being 2 separate programs? That way we can have 1 stable product for the professionals and you can have a different buggy product full of bells & whistles for everyone else.

Thank you,
Concerned DJs everywhere

**cough** rekordbox **Cough**

using it again today - so far 3 gigs done FLAWLESS with rekordbox & SX2

just sayin'

I like the idea of pulselocker - but I prefer stability :-)
Mike from Chicago 1:52 PM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hehe provided that your wifi stick or have a signal when you tether your phone....

there are places i have played no cell signal... so can fully rely on it

but not a bad feature to have

Just my 2 cents on this...
Just be cautious on what is said about this, I have a feeling that one day someone is going to regulate a Mobile DJ. I hate playing devils advocate but I've heard may talking about this. First it was hey let's make a DJ union then Agencies got larger then non-hobbyist DJs have to pay tax as its income. Records production made it hard to come-by for vinyl jocks but unless you buy oversea then digital format went wide spread. Technology is great but in the same breath is also a killer.

Sure having a huge library is great, subscription services/pools help out a great deal. Some of these outlets are tried and true and some fail. I would be hesitant to go to a service that could possibly eliminate be tagged as big brother. My apology for playing devils advocate and this has and will probably be talked about with many.

My suggestion is to stick to what works, sometimes if its not broken don't fix it. I'm guilty of this myself, I'm always looking for better and new ways to do things. I'm always looking for cool DJ gadgets and accessories.
Mike from Chicago 1:58 PM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, I do mobile events and weddings. I just do makes sure to do prep before the event, just like I did when I was spinning only vinyl

Prep is the key, you're not alone on this one. Depending on whats involved for the wedding, I might do a mock reception in my house for the formalities and some dance songs. Granted some weddings are cookie cutter style but having tailor made music to the bride/groom is always good too.
PorkyG 8:50 PM - 23 October, 2015
Fact that I cannot record my sets if Pulse Locker files are used is exactly what will keep me away from this service.

I record all my sets, never did away with that practice.

Also, I noticed in one post it said you can listen to the downloaded tracks if no hardware is connected. So you can't listen to them if hardware is connected? WTF? Yeah, no deal here I keep my wifi off unless it's absolutely needed and if needed I turn it on for a few moments and off when done. It seems there's more of a hinderance to using this than not, I have to make trade off's, that's not what should be happening here with a downloaded file that you paid to have access to.

Quote:
Quote:

Just to expand on what Richard has said, you can play the downloaded tracks when offline (not connected to the Internet) and when in offline mode (no hardware connected).
d:raf 8:57 PM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Also, I noticed in one post it said you can listen to the downloaded tracks if no hardware is connected. So you can't listen to them if hardware is connected? WTF?

That's an odd logistical jump...
d:raf 8:58 PM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Also, I noticed in one post it said you can listen to the downloaded tracks if no hardware is connected. So you can't listen to them if hardware is connected? WTF?

That's an odd logical jump...

fixed
AKIEM 9:08 PM - 23 October, 2015
...its just dumb - the difference between digital recording and going through an analog conversion will be minimal IP protection, worthless. Compared to simply annoying the user or not even choosing the service in the first place..... sigh

If there's not an easy way to 'buy' the tracks which is the main IP issue in the first place, i might pass...

see how it works
akakak 9:48 PM - 23 October, 2015
Wait, you can't record the sets? Deal breaker :(
monkeyfunk 2:09 AM - 24 October, 2015
Quote:
Wait, you can't record the sets? Deal breaker :(

It would be a basic foundation of the Serato/Pulselocker/Record Label agreement that Serato wouldn't encourage straight up piracy in recording tracks, so logically Serato will disable internal recoding for mixes that use Pulselocker.

But obviously there are other ways to record mixes.
Serato
Richard W 2:20 AM - 24 October, 2015
Quote:

You definitely can listen to your downloaded (offline) tracks with or without hardware connected. :)
monkeyfunk 2:52 AM - 24 October, 2015
I think this :

Quote:
...but if it evolves into some 'smart' next selection type thing - based on key, bpm, charts, etc.

Is right int he money.

Curated content - playlists, recommendations, similar tracks - lies at the heart of what Pulselocker will hopefully offer.

And what about recommended content based on other users ?
DJ Tecniq 5:02 PM - 25 October, 2015
Quote:
Dear Serato,

Thank you,
Concerned DJs everywhere
^ This guy gets it👆🏻
d:raf 5:57 PM - 25 October, 2015
I livestreamed my first Spotify tune last night (via djay 2 on my iPad): Miles Davis's "So What", a song I own on vinyl maybe 3 or 4 times over but didn't have time to rip before the event.

Painless process; no kittens were killed.
deejdave 7:33 PM - 25 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Dear Serato,

Thank you,
Concerned DJs everywhere
^ This guy gets it👆🏻

Gets what? SSL and SDJ already ARE 2 separate programs. I find it scary that you guys missed this. SSL is the software you claim is "perfect" and SDJ is the software you seem to keep trying only to come back on here and cry about............................ Is there any confusion as to where this cycle is going wrong?
Quote:
I livestreamed my first Spotify tune last night (via djay 2 on my iPad): Miles Davis's "So What", a song I own on vinyl maybe 3 or 4 times over but didn't have time to rip before the event.
I actually played a full 4 hour set (without Wi-Fi) using cellular and Djay2/Spotify this past weekend. Not gonna lie two or three times the song took about 15 seconds to load and I got a little (literally just a little) nervous but sure enough they loaded just like every other song. Went from 90's dance all the way to current country.

I can't wait for this to go live.
DJ Tecniq 8:35 PM - 25 October, 2015
Quote:
Gets what? SSL and SDJ already ARE 2 separate programs. I find it scary that you guys missed this. SSL is the software you claim is "perfect" and SDJ is the software you seem to keep trying only to come back on here and cry about............................ Is there any confusion as to where this cycle is going wrong?
You are crazy to think SDJ runs better than SSL even with my 16 gig MBP the waveforms are not smooth in SDJ. Scratchlive there is no issue. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you keep adding features to the program it's just going to strain the software even more. I don't think Traktor even comes close to how much CPU is used. They are still far behind from a stable software. It is nowhere near as tight as Scratchlive. SDJ eats up CPU and that's why it's not solid.
DJ Tecniq 8:40 PM - 25 October, 2015
DVS in SDJ is lacking. I don't why they ever wanted to add it into SDJ when SDJ was just used for controllers. There is a huge difference in playback. SDJ itself always looks like it's struggling. It is clear in every tutorial video. And maybe Yosemite has a lot to do with that.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:20 PM - 25 October, 2015
Quote:
DVS in SDJ is lacking. I don't why they ever wanted to add it into SDJ when SDJ was just used for controllers. There is a huge difference in playback. SDJ itself always looks like it's struggling. It is clear in every tutorial video. And maybe Yosemite has a lot to do with that.

So why the holy fuck do you keep using it and come here every day to bitch and fucking moan!!!!! Take your own advice and just use SSL until you die. 100% TROLL
Mr. Goodkat 1:05 AM - 26 October, 2015
Quote:
4 hour set (without Wi-Fi) using cellular

wouldnt this be a major amount of data on you phone? you would basically need unlimited data or you would go over a 4gb plan fairly quickly
deejdave 1:23 AM - 26 October, 2015
Quote:
So why the holy fuck do you keep using it and come here every day to bitch and fucking moan!!!!! Take your own advice and just use SSL until you die. 100% TROLL

Ding Ding Ding!!!
Quote:
^ This guy gets it👆🏻

Quote:
You are crazy to think SDJ runs better than SSL even with my 16 gig MBP the waveforms are not smooth in SDJ

I was going to write up this long response but I quickly realized every single thing I was about to say to you has already been said and most of it I have even gone through myself with you already. The one thing I don't understand and the ONLY thing I am even inquiring about (as in I am not entertaining the better, worse, shit, shittier or shittiest as you like to put it) is why you keep putting yourself through the punishment and hardship of using such a bloated, incomplete and horrible bit of software. Why not stick to the SSL forums with your
Quote:
you would basically need unlimited data

Only if you planned on using unlimited data
Quote:
or you would go over a 4gb plan fairly quickly
You would go over 4 GB as soon as you downloaded 4 GB worth of data.

4 GB = 4,000 MB
MP3 = 8 MB (average give or take)
I don't mean to point out the obvious but do you think I played 500 songs in 4 hrs? ;) Luckily I have over four times than that per month anyways..........

I do know there is some cache work going on as well (within Djay) even though you do not have full offline access to your "available offline" media. IF I remember I will get you some exact data usage when the bill comes in IF I can break it down per day.

Lastly I hope I didn't give the impression I do this often and only felt the want to post about as it was the first time I ever did.
DJ Tecniq 2:20 AM - 26 October, 2015
Quote:
What part did you miss? I don't use SDJ except offline and it struggles. What makes you think I would want to use it? I'm comfortable with Scratchlive as it is the most reliable software Serato has ever had!
popnwave 4:04 AM - 26 October, 2015
FFS Tecniq, you troll Serato on Facebook, you troll them on here. If you hate it so much, no one will miss you moving to another piece of software.
Dj Wunder 6:43 AM - 26 October, 2015
Who doesn't have an unlimited data plan these days??
djcrap 1:34 PM - 26 October, 2015
Quote:

Third world countries are still on dail up internet .....

So basically pulselocker feature only benefits first world countries mostly and may be some thirdword countries
djcrap 1:41 PM - 26 October, 2015
Sms i mean only djs in first and second world countries may benefit from pulselocker subscription because most of them have easy accesse to superfast internet and unlimmited plans. Well as those djs in third world countries accesse to internet is still done by dial up unless they are super rich to by doggles for mobile internet.
djcrap 1:42 PM - 26 October, 2015
By =buy
PopRoXxX 6:29 PM - 26 October, 2015
Tecniq,

I've been playing on SDJ with DVS on multiple hardware configurations for a couple years now with no HORRIBLE problems after the DVS latency audio drop glitch was addressed. I also have the same MBP as you.

Offline mode? That's the most non-CPU hog form and never had a problem with it either AT ALL! It actually beats SSL with it's updated functionality (which I could write a book about here, but you wouldn't care at all so I'm not going to waste my time).

A great idea for you: Just stop using it, stop looking at it, stop having posts show up in your social feeds about it, stop following Serato and all its users talking about it, stay with SSL and don't update to El Capitan (because it breaks SSL). Also, don't update to any more new hardware/software for the rest your life and you will be good.

Now you can stop talking here and just stay on the SSL threads
PopRoXxX 6:32 PM - 26 October, 2015
As for data plans ....... I'm ready to fully test pulselocker and its abilities with my unlimited data plan :P
Mr. Goodkat 6:44 PM - 26 October, 2015
Quote:

verizon's is too expensive for me to justify having.
deejdave 8:16 PM - 26 October, 2015
I got 16 GB with Verizon and that is plenty. If you care about talking to people you pretty much NEED Verizon so I understand you sticking with them. Keep in mind though the VAST majority of this will be with Wi-FI so we need not worry about this too much. FTR I also did some work with using Djay Pro/Spotify and using the iPhone as a personal Hotspot. Still flawless.
Quote:
Sms i mean only djs in first and second world countries may benefit from pulselocker subscription because most of them have easy accesse to superfast internet and unlimmited plans. Well as those djs in third world countries accesse to internet is still done by dial up unless they are super rich to by doggles for mobile internet.

This just makes sense though and is obviously in no way Pulselocker or Serato's fault. Not saying you were implying that either just stating it is just the way it is. Can't dwell on it too much but just consider ourselves lucky enough to NOT be in those situations.
deejdave 8:14 PM - 29 October, 2015
ANyone else notice Pulselocker was live???
d:raf 8:58 PM - 29 October, 2015
Started exploring there now.

I searched through their drum & bass selection as an initial "test"; the amount of stuff they have is pretty extensive. I was able to stump them with a couple of the smaller labels (like Nemcron based out of here in NC) but overall I'm pretty impressed in that area.

On the other hand, they don't have anything by Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud while Spotify does... I'm going to have to figure out what else is missing before I commit to spending mo' money.
AKIEM 9:03 PM - 29 October, 2015
Quote:

I searched through their drum & bass selection as an initial "test"; the amount of stuff they have is pretty extensive. I was able to stump them with a couple of the smaller labels (like Nemcron based out of here in NC) but overall I'm pretty impressed in that area.

On the other hand, they don't have anything by Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud while Spotify does... I'm going to have to figure out what else is missing before I commit to spending mo' money.

what?

DEAL BREAKER!!!

lol

What do they play on spotify, pump it back or do the James?
deejdave 9:06 PM - 29 October, 2015
No worries. The library supposedly will blow Spotify out the water in terms of quantity. Let's see how it pans out with quality.
AKIEM 9:10 PM - 29 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

what?

DEAL BREAKER!!!

lol

Bout to put that LP on right now
d:raf 9:20 PM - 29 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

what?

DEAL BREAKER!!!

lol

"Do The James" is there but not "Pump It Back" (which I've never heard). I usually just play "Do The James" or "Girls I Got 'Em Locked" :).

Looks like they have 3 songs from "Super Casanova" and 7 from "Blow Up The Spot" (which I've also never heard).
Serato
Richard W 9:32 PM - 29 October, 2015
hey guys,
Pulselocker's website is still in beta stage, they are working on a lot of changes and improvements. Also the full catalogue is not available yet :)
AKIEM 9:56 PM - 29 October, 2015
Quote:
hey guys,
Pulselocker's website is still in beta stage, they are working on a lot of changes and improvements. Also the full catalogue is not available yet :)

Hmmm, ok. Noted.

But Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud is the shit.

check the LP, sleept on
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:59 PM - 29 October, 2015
Quote:
Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud is the shit

Girls i got em locked is the jam, introduced to me courtesy of J-Rocc's Live at the sex machine mixtape.

MP
d:raf 11:23 PM - 29 October, 2015
Did a quick random search for Klymaxx and came up with some "remastered re-recordings" of a few of their old hits. They were strange, flawed doppelgangers and noticeably not as good as the originals (as remastered re-recordings often are... lol). Hope there isn't too much of that going on there.

Few things are more disappointing to me than thinking I've scored a find (usually in a pawn shop) of a CD with several old hits I'm missing on it only to get it home, play it, notice the sonic difference and only then see the little asterisk next to the song with a footnote that says "re-recorded by the original artist". It's just not the same...

Guess I should wait for the full catalog to become available before passing judgement :).
raedonquan 11:07 AM - 30 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

TROLL
What part did you miss? I don't use SDJ except offline and it struggles. What makes you think I would want to use it? I'm comfortable with Scratchlive as it is the most reliable software Serato has ever had!

anybody got the tech support number for my apple 2e its still good runs all my programs except serato... this is totally unacceptable
boabmatic 11:11 AM - 30 October, 2015
Looking forward to this but I see UK users are getting shafted on the prices again :(

Premium account
$20 for the US/rest of the world (which converts to £13 at the moment)

But its £20 for the UK subscription
DJ Dynamite - NJ 3:08 PM - 30 October, 2015
Quote:
Looking forward to this but I see UK users are getting shafted on the prices again :(

Premium account
$20 for the US/rest of the world (which converts to £13 at the moment)

But its £20 for the UK subscription

International Taxes...LOL
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:42 AM - 2 November, 2015
Serato X Pulselocker Announcement at ADE

Using Pulse locker with SDJ at around 12 minutes.
youtu.be
Dj Wunder 1:14 AM - 2 November, 2015
After watching this I don't see a straight forward way to purchase tracks. I would definitely want to own key files in my library, and it should be as easy as selecting the "offline" it "stream only" buttons. Plenty of room there for a "buy" button
AKIEM 1:18 AM - 2 November, 2015
Quote:
After watching this I don't see a straight forward way to purchase tracks. I would definitely want to own key files in my library, and it should be as easy as selecting the "offline" it "stream only" buttons. Plenty of room there for a "buy" button
deejdave 1:22 AM - 2 November, 2015
While I fully get your position this is no different than how Spotify does things and I can't see streaming services pushing the purchase option all that much for obvious reasons.
DJ Blvd 7:58 AM - 4 November, 2015
Pulselocker will need to offer a few things to have me believe that it is for professional DJs:

1) DJ Tools (Intro, Outro, Acapella, Instrumental, Clean, Dirty, etc.)
2) Mobile App (for previewing and queueing)
3) Better User Interface (the current website is very substandard for music discovery)

If it offers all of those features, $20 a month would be a steal.

Including music videos into a bigger/better package would also be useful, considering their current "relationship" with the record labels.
boabmatic 8:39 AM - 4 November, 2015
2) they said at the launch event that a mobile app would be available next year (Q1/Q2)
3) I think its all still in beta at the moment, I guess this will get better
Dj Wunder 10:07 AM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
Pulselocker will need to offer a few things to have me believe that it is for professional DJs:

1) DJ Tools (Intro, Outro, Acapella, Instrumental, Clean, Dirty, etc.)
2) Mobile App (for previewing and queueing)
3) Better User Interface (the current website is very substandard for music discovery)

If it offers all of those features, $20 a month would be a steal.

Including music videos into a bigger/better package would also be useful, considering their current "relationship" with the record labels.

Stems even?
Videos would definitely be a plus
I'd also pay more for karaoke files
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:22 PM - 4 November, 2015
Now that I think about it.. this isn't a bad idea. It would save me from downloading alot of horrible songs that I keep in my library "just in case" especially considering that 99% of today's music is disposable.
discodale81 7:02 PM - 4 November, 2015
This Beta version isn't doing Pulselocker any favours it's terrible.
Been told things will get better and libary will improve but why on earth would u let potential customers try it out just now when it's so bad?

Nightmare to find any tracks that I want.

It's over run with non original artist cover versions.

I can only find 1 song from UK top 40

& 1 song from beatport top 10.

With a free 14 day trial now in its 3 day Pulselocker are doing nothing to convince me to part with £20 a month at the end of my trial.

After the trial has passed and nobody is impressed how do they plan to get people back?

I certainly wouldn't for out £20 in a few months just to have a look and see if it's any better.
PopRoXxX 7:07 PM - 4 November, 2015
The site that Serato & Pulselocker will be using is not the same site as the regular Pulselocker site. It's been stated around the forum a few times now. It's not even available for beta yet. They also have stated that the full library isn't even up yet. It'll be in its final stages when the REAL beta is ready. That also has been stated around the forum a few times as well.

People make me laugh a lot on here. LOL!!!!!!!!
discodale81 7:12 PM - 4 November, 2015
Would u let a potential buyer look around ur car that was for sale when it was full of crap and unpolished?

That's all I'm saying.....
PopRoXxX 7:21 PM - 4 November, 2015
Again .......

1) The site you're using isn't even the same site that we will ACTUALLY be using
2) That login you created on that site won't even work for the site we will ACTUALLY be using
3) Serato (or anyone else) never said "Go check it out. It's in beta."

When Serato/Pulselocker is actually ready to "sell their car to potential buyers", I bet they'll have their shit more together for you and make a statement letting you (and all of us) know it's time to check it out. So you're doing all this looking and assuming on your own for nothing but wasted time right now ..... on a beta of a site we actually won't be using at all.

And I'm back to --> LOL!!
Serato, Support
Jamie W 7:28 PM - 4 November, 2015
Hey Guys

To clarify things....

Quote:
1) The site you're using isn't even the same site that we will ACTUALLY be using
2) That login you created on that site won't even work for the site we will ACTUALLY be using

At this stage the Pulselocker website is still in BETA.
Serato is not using the BETA site for testing, however when the main site goes live (full catalogue, search engine improvements) we will be using this site.

Thanks,
Jamie
PopRoXxX 7:31 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
Hey Guys

To clarify things....

Quote:

At this stage the Pulselocker website is still in BETA.
Serato is not using the BETA site for testing, however when the main site goes live (full catalogue, search engine improvements) we will be using this site.

Thanks,
Jamie

Thanks for the clarification Jamie!
Mr. Goodkat 10:24 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:

your profile pic makes me think that everytime i see it.

was that the 08 douchbag dj pose?
PopRoXxX 10:25 PM - 4 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

your profile pic makes me think that everytime i see it.

was that the 08 douchbag dj pose?

Yeah sure. I guess that's my state of mind forever then. Never moving on
Jsnyp 12:33 AM - 23 March, 2016
Don't know if this was discussed but I'm going to ask the question anyways pulselocker is a streaming service but it has the option to download to play offline so say you spend hours days and months building your library then say for whatever X reason you have to unsubscribe how do you lose everything you've done
deejdave 12:43 AM - 23 March, 2016
Well that makes 100% sense no? Why should you have access to music offered by a service you no longer pay for? Would you expect to have access to your offline Spotify music when you no longer pay them? You will have your playlists back as they were when you continue your subscription which I believe is fair.
Jsnyp 1:00 AM - 23 March, 2016
I guess that's the difference between this and record pools and I think I heard them say you can't record so this ain't good for mixtape DJ's
Jsnyp 1:02 AM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
I guess that's the difference between this and record pools and I think I heard them say you can't record so this ain't good for mixtape DJ's

Even though there's always a way
deejdave 1:17 AM - 23 March, 2016
Correct. You can't record from ANY streaming service currently. Just the nature of the beast. If you think about this as well though it is completely fair and again makes sense. If it were any other way who is to stop any given user from simply ripping whatever songs they want as they go.
Jsnyp 2:19 AM - 23 March, 2016
Thanks I just like to look at the pros and cons it has its goods and bads they say it's for DJ'S but there's not just one type of DJ but overall still a good idea
deejdave 2:21 AM - 23 March, 2016
Very true. One HUGE advantage will be that Rekordbox will be using as well so the playlists (or main playlist) should be used by both.......... obviously not Serato crates but still useful.
WarpNote 6:19 AM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Rekordbox will be using as well

So, will you be able to transfer offline stored pulselocker tracks to usb media and play in standalone cdj's? I would assume pulselocker tracks would only play in recordbox dj with a computer? Confused....
DJ Tecniq 6:38 AM - 23 March, 2016
Well since we are on the topic of Rekordbox. DVS is here and one thing that's very promising for me is how smooth the waveforms are😍 reminds me so much of Scratchlive. Serato better get out the bug spray😮 youtu.be
maarawoe 6:55 AM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

So, will you be able to transfer offline stored pulselocker tracks to usb media and play in standalone cdj's? I would assume pulselocker tracks would only play in recordbox dj with a computer? Confused....

Thats my biggest concern as it seems I am now locked to the compuer more than ever :-( I can't play cdj any longer, computer, soundcard, cables forever.... :-((
Also the fact that if I decide to stop using the pulselocker after lets say 2 or 3 years, I will have completely no tracks in my library, doesn't gives me peaco of mind...
Realy considering if this is the way to go...
DJ Blvd 10:41 AM - 23 March, 2016
No one should consider Pulselocker as a "Record Pool". It is what they say they are. They are a Music Streaming Service (i.e. Apple Music, Spotify, etc.) that is made for DJ's. The monthly fee is for a subscription, not physical "ownership" of files. The files that are saved offline ARE NOT mp3 or wav or aac files, so you CANNOT place them on a flash drive to swap files or use with CDJs. Again, it is a music streaming service. I am assuming the ultimate goal, while being used for djing, is to get us dj's to switch from using other streaming services for music discovery or daily listening.
deejdave 2:23 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I meant the performance mode of Rekordbox. I would love to see standalone support of the CDJ's but I doubt this will happen.
WarpNote 2:35 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
I meant the performance mode of Rekordbox. I would love to see standalone support of the CDJ's but I doubt this will happen.

Gotcha, just wanted to clear this up, I haven't signed up for RB-DJ as feel spending another €129,- + €99,- on top of my already purchased DJM-900SRT, DJM-S9 & DDJ-SX should warrant a free license to be honest. Feeling the "greed" of Pio here...

I might do the subscription for a few months, as I did do the initial 30 day trial. However it felt more like a beta than a full fledged solution IMO. Especially scrolling through crates/playlists was painful...

But back on topic, I guess pulselocker could be a nice addition to my other sources, but I don't see myself spending €20 a month for it. Id rather use that money for songs that I can own TBH.
Mr. Goodkat 3:02 PM - 23 March, 2016
id say alot of this is aimed at younger people or people new to dj'ing.

of course a lot of us old heads are gonna have big digital libraries as well as vinyl and cds.

that was our paradigm.

now streaming is the mindset for most under 25, so i dont think the physical ownership of music is quite the same as it is for people over 30.
WarpNote 4:54 PM - 23 March, 2016
You probably have a point there Goodkat :-D
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:14 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
now streaming is the mindset for most under 25, so i dont think the physical ownership of music is quite the same as it is for people over 30.

100%
DJ Dynamite - NJ 5:19 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:

That's because so much of today's music is disposable. No need to own it... LOL
deejdave 6:44 PM - 23 March, 2016
While I completely agree there is no doubt a HUGE benefit in having access to music you would not normally purchase. Keeping in mind the disposable music concept how much better is it to have access to said music as opposed to having to fill up your HDD with it.

Not gonna lie I have put this into practice already and used it live and it is has already proven its worth to me. Haven't even heard of some of the stuff I played. Could have gotten some decent tips too if I wasn't feeling so generous which I was :)

@ Warp GOD do I hear ya!! I would suggest going for the subscription if not sold as it comes with the DVS access while its another $99 (USD) to purchase!!
AKIEM 6:49 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

That's because so much of today's music is disposable. No need to own it... LOL

LOL

BTW, there is no 'owning' the music - vinyl, cd, mp3, whatever...
popnwave 6:59 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:

@ Warp GOD do I hear ya!! I would suggest going for the subscription if not sold as it comes with the DVS access while its another $99 (USD) to purchase!!

So only the hardware devs get to pay the bills? Gotta keep the light on in the software office.

People have to get paid, and this streaming crap should cost a lot more so that the content creators (writers, performers) get paid better as we transition away from physical media.

Just because it isn't a physical piece of EQ doesn't mean it has any less value if it's a tool you use.
AKIEM 7:35 PM - 23 March, 2016
I think the streaming modle for pro DJs is the wrong move. Convenient tool, sure. Putting effort into organizing a library not guaranteed to be there, and or being stuck paying for just seems like a bad investment.

Well of course unless you dont plan on doing your own curation anymore......
AKIEM 7:41 PM - 23 March, 2016
Oh, and not shutting on PL - just think they should set up a shop.

If I were to use it, I'd be also downloading files...
AKIEM 7:41 PM - 23 March, 2016
*shitting
popnwave 7:49 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
*shitting

I think the PL and streaming model is handy for NEW djs and a mobile guy who gets some random need from a bride or whoever is throwing a party. I sure as hell send people packing when they ask for stuff I don't have in the club, I am not a jukebox. I do go check stuff out after a gig though and add it for next time if it's worthy.
DJ AzYz 8:20 PM - 23 March, 2016
How come the BPM and the Key of the songs are not labelled ? You need to analyze a song (Put it in an available deck) to get the bpm and the key. So you get a bunch of tracks appearing in your with no indication of the bpm or the key. This needs to be fix. I don't want to load every damn song to find one that can match with the bpm i am actually playing...
DJ AzYz 8:27 PM - 23 March, 2016
PS: i am talking about results returned in pulselocker within serato. No Bpm/Key tag. This is a serious miss...
WarpNote 9:23 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

So only the hardware devs get to pay the bills? Gotta keep the light on in the software office.

People have to get paid, and this streaming crap should cost a lot more so that the content creators (writers, performers) get paid better as we transition away from physical media.

Just because it isn't a physical piece of EQ doesn't mean it has any less value if it's a tool you use.

We were talking about the pioneer devs actually, not the streaming guys....
I totally agree that devs should get payed. However, for Pioneer, I do think that if someone invested quite a lot of money into their higher end hardware, some of this software should be either bundled or on a rebate. Ie, just like the Serato model...
popnwave 9:38 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:

We were talking about the pioneer devs actually, not the streaming guys....
I totally agree that devs should get payed. However, for Pioneer, I do think that if someone invested quite a lot of money into their higher end hardware, some of this software should be either bundled or on a rebate. Ie, just like the Serato model...

I was referring to the PIO software guys too. I was using streaming as an example as a "race to the bottom" where people devalue things to the point they just expect it to all be free.
deejdave 10:03 PM - 23 March, 2016
Free? Pioneer already got me for:

CDJ-2000Nexus x 2
CDJ-2000NXS2 x 2
CDJ-900 x 2
PLX-1000 x 2
DDJ-SB
DDJ-SX
DDJ-SZ
DDJ-SB
DJM-900SRT
DJM-900Nexus
DJM-900NXS2
HDJ-2000 x 2
HDJ-1500

I still currently own all of them AS well as the $99 for Rekordbox DJ

Perhaps I have not purchased Rekordbox specific gear but I DO 100% feel I have contributed enough that SOMEwhere a DVS license could have be provided. See the thing here is the hardware guys ARE the software guys and trust they have certainly gotten their dues.

I usually disagree with stuff like this but I do feel there is a line.................. granted I myself would not be able to point out where it would/could be drawn.

One thing is for sure I am 1000% confused by the Rekordbox store page now though.

rekordbox.com

The wording and whole presentation is HORRIBLE!!
popnwave 10:10 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:

One thing is for sure I am 1000% confused by the Rekordbox store page now though.

rekordbox.com

The wording and whole presentation is HORRIBLE!!

Can't argue with folks who feel entitled. I'll just agree to disagree.
Mr. Goodkat 11:27 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
BTW, there is no 'owning' the music - vinyl, cd, mp3, whatever...

the actual buying of physical media or even buying mp3s as opposed to streaming and not buying either.
AKIEM 11:42 PM - 23 March, 2016
Good thing song suggestion algorithms are on the way and improving - all this library curation - what a waste of time!
AKIEM 11:44 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
*shitting

I think the PL and streaming model is handy for NEW non-djs and a mobile guy who gets some random need from a bride or whoever is throwing a party. I sure as hell send people packing when they ask for stuff I don't have in the club, I am not a jukebox. I do go check stuff out after a gig though and add it for next time if it's worthy.

Im going to stop saying new DJs. Whats actually meant is non-DJs....
popnwave 1:02 AM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:

Everyone has to start somewhere.. I'd hope as someone evolves in the skill set they procure their own library and not just "lease" it.
AKIEM 1:08 AM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Everyone has to start somewhere.. I'd hope as someone evolves in the skill set they procure their own library and not just "lease" it.

Yeah, but thats how it used to be. More and more improving as a DJ means the software is improving.... generally speaking of course "don't they have an app that does that?"
DJ Dynamite - NJ 2:28 AM - 24 March, 2016
Quote:
Free? Pioneer already got me for:

CDJ-2000Nexus x 2
CDJ-2000NXS2 x 2
CDJ-900 x 2
PLX-1000 x 2
DDJ-SB
DDJ-SX
DDJ-SZ
DDJ-SB
DJM-900SRT
DJM-900Nexus
DJM-900NXS2
HDJ-2000 x 2
HDJ-1500

I still currently own all of them AS well as the $99 for Rekordbox DJ

Damn, they got u good LOL
WarpNote 6:56 AM - 24 March, 2016
Have to agree with Dave here popnwave.
My pioneer inventory is lesser:
DJM-S9
DJM-900SRT
DDJ-SX
DDJ-SP1
4xCDJ1000mk3

But still, I cant help to think Pioneer should reward they customers every so slightly. The "Pioneer tax" is pretty steep to begin with IMO. I actually dont mind paying for the application, but I do think it is somewhat overpriced.
deejdave 8:13 AM - 24 March, 2016
Not gonna lie popnwave is the first person I have ever encountered to defend Pioneer's treatment toward NON a-list DJ's in ways such as this. Doesn't mean he is wrong bye default but I do certainly feel like some thing could have been done.
David_E 2:17 PM - 25 March, 2016
Anybody else having problems with mixing local and pulselocker files within a crate?

All pulselocker files, no matter if offline or streaming, always appear on top of a crate after starting SDJ. It seems to be impossible to keep a mixed crate with a custom order.
Is there anything I'm missing?
deejdave 2:22 PM - 25 March, 2016
I personally do not mix up actual files with streaming for reasons described above as having just SOME of my files disappear in the future would kill my workflow.
DJ Wizard Sleeve 9:58 AM - 29 March, 2016
Hey, not sure if this is the best place for feedback on this or not.. its what came up when I searched.

Firstly, great idea, shame it wasn't with spotify as they have a wider variety of stuff I listen to, but no biggie as I was thinking of cancelling my subscription anyway.

Secondly, after starting the trial and creating a few different playlists with a few different tracks in, I was disappointed that the playlists were not replicated within serato and just appeared in one blob.

Which leads me on to my third point where, the genre is not pulled in to serato. Had I been making multiple genre playlists, this would have been very annoying.

Fourthly, the BPMs were all at 50% - whilst this is easily rectified it was a mild annoyance

Fifthly, 320kbps - will there be an option for higher rate files in future?

Sixthly, if I subscribe, pay, and the pulselocker goes under.. what happens to my music?

Seventhly, is there a way to do full purchases on the tracks? (perhaps at a reduced rate with your monthly fee like trackitdown did with their pro accounts?)

I think that is all for now - thank you kindly. (please let me know if I should have posted elsewhere)
DJ Wizard Sleeve 10:05 AM - 29 March, 2016
Oh, one more thing... stored files going to: C:\Users\Username\My Music\_Serato_\Pulselocker is ridiculous.

No one in their right mind uses their OS drive for storage!!!
Lightning 1:58 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:
Oh, one more thing... stored files going to: C:\Users\Username\My Music\_Serato_\Pulselocker is ridiculous.

No one in their right mind uses their OS drive for storage!!!

You could probably create a shortcut/symlink and point it elsewhere and it still work.
DJ Ozah 7:39 PM - 29 March, 2016
Direct from Pulselocker

"Pay-per-unit permanent digital download. End Users can pay a set price per song (retail pricing at discretion of Pulselocker) to be able to download a DRM-free copy of the music to a personal device or computer."

Yikes.
popnwave 8:08 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:
Direct from Pulselocker

"Pay-per-unit permanent digital download. End Users can pay a set price per song (retail pricing at discretion of Pulselocker) to be able to download a DRM-free copy of the music to a personal device or computer."

Yikes.

Seems like the norm, if you have a track you really like, you buy it so you don't have to worry about it going away if you end your subscription.
d:raf 8:41 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:
Direct from Pulselocker

Yikes.

I was actually hoping they had that option.
deejdave 1:09 AM - 30 March, 2016
Is this just an excerpt from the terms & agreement page or do you know of a way to purchase a song directly via Pulselocker?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:57 AM - 30 March, 2016
I think in Pulselocker's first incarnation you could also buy music through them. Currently that is no longer an option sorry.
popnwave 6:33 PM - 30 March, 2016
Quote:
I think in Pulselocker's first incarnation you could also buy music through them. Currently that is no longer an option sorry.

I think you're right, I don't see that info anywhere at this point.
Dj Wunder 8:16 PM - 30 March, 2016
Quote:

Boo. Hiss.
deejdave 9:59 PM - 30 March, 2016
Well let's be honest this is not news as we all knew this already. It's not like a top secret project yet to be uncovered. You log into PL website and notice right away there is no way to purchase. You log in via Serato you notice the same................. no?
AKIEM 10:05 PM - 30 March, 2016
So its like a store that charges you entry. You can touch the goods. Or you can stock,the shelves and put shit in order. but no cash register on your way out with nothing.
deejdave 10:26 PM - 30 March, 2016
Not all DJ's have the luxury of playing the stuff only they want to hear and some must pay what the crowd wants to hear. When this happens It is not the best feeling when one must download a blasphemous track (notice I say track and not song) like "Panda" ............. it gets even worse at times.

As Serato and PL say themselves (and I happen to fully agree) Pulselocker is not for everyone but not for nothing for a measly $20.............. I have heard of worse.

I have no time for music video's or the VJ's that play them but this is just my preference and they are/will do just fine without me.
AKIEM 11:30 PM - 30 March, 2016
think the point is that if they did a couple things - it would be more useful, because for some of us - its not really
deejdave 11:57 PM - 30 March, 2016
Quote:
think the point is that if they did a couple things

What are these couple of things for you? I don't see how the purchase option is one of them unless we are speaking in regard to the website itself.

For me this is by no means a replacement for record pools and normal music outlets but is additional support instead. Thing is I actually was not all that down with PL due to their internal issues but I can honestly say I have seen huge improvements since it first got introduced and I am talking in regard to this current (2015+) run as trust when I say the 2012 version would not be of much interest for most unless you are an electronic DJ.

Out of curiosity do you use Spotify Premium?
deejdave 11:58 PM - 30 March, 2016
Quote:
I don't see how the purchase option is one of them unless we are speaking in regard to the website itself.

Only because this has no business being integrated into DJ software itself not to mention it is so easy to purchase music.
AKIEM 12:35 AM - 31 March, 2016
If a song is worth downloading and adding to my library then it is worth archiving (buying or otherwise permanently acquiring)

I refuse to spend any time organizing files in any way which I dont own (permanent right to use)

Cant just record a mix within software. Which is a 'stupid' limititaion I do not care to indulge.

I use Pandora
DJ Wizard Sleeve 11:28 AM - 31 March, 2016
Well I already mentioned the few things above that would get my "buy in" with this.

I do use Spotify premium as stated above, though haven't been using it much lately and was thinking of cancelling.

When the aforementioned kinks are worked out and maybe a couple of extra bits are added in this will have more use to me :)
dibb 6:20 PM - 31 March, 2016
Quote:
If a song is worth downloading and adding to my library then it is worth archiving (buying or otherwise permanently acquiring)

I refuse to spend any time organizing files in any way which I dont own (permanent right to use)

Exactly my thoughts: If a song is worth playing, it's worth paying for (to have it permanently).
dibb 6:26 PM - 31 March, 2016
I would consider Pulselocker if it indeed was possible to buy a DRM-free version of a single track. IMO it would be a far better / successful business model for them as well (probably a licensing issue?).

I like the convenience of a subscription model for music exploration (I use Apple Music), but when I like a song, I want to buy it.
deejdave 9:11 PM - 31 March, 2016
Quote:

As said by myself personally before this was even said.........

Quote:
I personally do not mix up actual files with streaming for reasons described above as having just SOME of my files disappear in the future would kill my workflow.

I don't remember anyone saying you MUST organize your pulselocker music. As also mentioned above for the very small price of $20 a month it is worth it to me to have those "off" songs that are requested every now and then that nobody in their right mind would want to pay for.

I suppose I just do not understand the issue with entering a song name/s into a browser (even if you simply create a temporary crate of songs you would like to purchase) and simply purchasing from a regular outlet. I could be wrong but if $20 a month is a deal killer here I would be curious how much actual song purchasing (a la carte) is actually happening anyways. Although I could be wrong.

Quote:
I would consider Pulselocker if it indeed was possible to buy a DRM-free version of a single track. IMO it would be a far better / successful business model for them as well (probably a licensing issue?)

Probably not. I think people are forgetting they tried this model already and it didn't really catch. Did anyone else here even know it existed a few years ago? They saw reason enough to change to the current model and from the looks of it I'm not gonna lie.................. they are gonna be just fine.

Let's get one thing straight though I obviously would not mind if this were added to the PL website itself. I mean how could it be a bad thing............. unless the $20 fee went up even one penny for the ability to have this borderline redundant feature. I hope we all agree it has no place in the Serato software itself though. In other words there is not a single thing Serato can do about this.
dibb 10:22 PM - 31 March, 2016
There are a lot of possible reasons why the pay-per-track-model didn't catch on before:
- the market not being ready (enough) yet
- execution not good enough: product, marketing, partnerships, ...
- catalogue not big enough (less then 6M tracks in 2012)
- etc.
If it didn't work before, it doesn't mean it could not work now.

If they would add the possibility to buy tracks on top of the $/€ 9,99 monthly subscription fee, I'm pretty sure that would generate a pretty substantial extra revenue stream. There's no way I would pay more than 9,99 / month for leasing music, but I would happily pay € 50 / month EXTRA to buy good tracks that I would own. And I don't think I'm the only one.
Mr. Goodkat 10:33 PM - 31 March, 2016
probably totally diff licensing
deejdave 11:01 PM - 31 March, 2016
Quote:
There are a lot of possible reasons why the pay-per-track-model didn't catch on before:
- the market not being ready (enough) yet
- execution not good enough: product, marketing, partnerships, ...
- catalogue not big enough (less then 6M tracks in 2012)
- etc.

Speculation is fun but the fact remains it's been done by PL PERSONALLY and they themselves chose to go a different path for one reason or another. I doubt they hate money so..............

Quote:

This one has to go though. Can't we assume a more fitting conversation would be "well that didn't work so let's try something new"?

The best part about history is we can learn from it to avoid making the same future mistakes.........
Quote:
There's no way I would pay more than 9,99 / month for leasing music, but I would happily pay € 50 / month EXTRA to buy good tracks that I would own. And I don't think I'm the only one.

I hope you are not trying to pay a monthly fee to have the right to purchase music a la carte so this sounds awfully much like a record pool and YES people use them already so you are not the only one.

Keep in mind if you add music to your playlists or HDD and then stop paying for the service YES the music will go away but then months later if you want all the music again (right where you left it) simply pay for the month again.

I am sure there are more ideal ways to handle this but honestly it is not all that different from other streaming services and in all honesty there is way more freedom with PL. It IS a streaming service nonetheless and streaming services are not for everyone.

Again I will say I do hope they add an option to buy via the website (assuming it does NOT affect the monthly fee even one cent) but I doubt it will help their overall sales all that much being this is not why people are being attracted to PL (obviously) and the songs were WAY more expensive purchasing via PL anyways.

That's all I will say about this though as I refuse to bore anyone further with my opinions and I will leave you guys to it.
AKIEM 1:15 AM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

As said by myself personally before this was even said.........

Quote:

I don't remember anyone saying you MUST organize your pulselocker music. As also mentioned above for the very small price of $20 a month it is worth it to me to have those "off" songs that are requested every now and then that nobody in their right mind would want to pay for.

Makes more sense to me to buy 20 tracks and not worrying about them disappearing

Quote:

I suppose I just do not understand the issue with entering a song name/s into a browser (even if you simply create a temporary crate of songs you would like to purchase) and simply purchasing from a regular outlet. I could be wrong but if $20 a month is a deal killer here I would be curious how much actual song purchasing (a la carte) is actually happening anyways. Although I could be wrong.

I spend more than that monthly. And I have various other ways files enter my crates or archives.

And I keep redundant backups because I don't want my files dissapearing.
deejdave 1:46 AM - 1 April, 2016
S T R E A M I N G is not for everyone and this is OK. There is room for all. Not everyone uses Spotify and trust they will be fine as well. Understand none of this will make or break them as they are first and foremost a streaming company who will appeal to people who have embraced streaming.

This by no means takes anything away from those who utilize local files only but trust that the one who embraces BOTH has the advantage period. More does not always mean more but in this case I do not see how it could possibly not benefit myself.

I have a challenge for you though. If you can name one and I mean ONLY one (real) way a person who uses your method ONLY could benefit over a person who uses both I will admit defeat right now. Now remember EVERY benefit you enjoy the one who uses both has as well. The same simply can not be said the other way around. This is rhetorical as we both know there is no winning this.

Person A owns a movie. Person B owns the same movie and has a free ticket to go to the theater to see an additional movie of their choice. Person B will not OWN a single thing more than person A but trust person B wins no matter how you look at it....................... unless it was a shitty movie of course but that is person B's fault alone LMAO

I didn't want to say it but this is starting to sound like the digital Vs. physical copy argument we got over years ago. Trust things will/are shifting as they do but again this is fine and there is room for all.

Different strokes for different folks is all.
deejdave 1:51 AM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
Person A owns a movie. Person B owns the same movie and has a free ticket to go to the theater to see an additional movie of their choice. Person B will not OWN a single thing more than person A but trust person B wins no matter how you look at it....................... unless it was a shitty movie of course but that is person B's fault alone LMAO

BTW just an example as I understand movies are not free but you better believe peeps are still going to them. You guys seen the numbers for the Batman V Superman yet? LMAO
AKIEM 2:05 AM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
S T R E A M I N G is not for everyone and this is OK. There is room for all. Not everyone uses Spotify and trust they will be fine as well. Understand none of this will make or break them as they are first and foremost a streaming company who will appeal to people who have embraced streaming.

This by no means takes anything away from those who utilize local files only but trust that the one who embraces BOTH has the advantage period. More does not always mean more but in this case I do not see how it could possibly not benefit myself.

Whos trying to take something away from people who want to use it?

The question was asked, why wont I use it?

are you mad its not for me?

Quote:

I have a challenge for you though. If you can name one and I mean ONLY one (real) way a person who uses your method ONLY could benefit over a person who uses both I will admit defeat right now. Now remember EVERY benefit you enjoy the one who uses both has as well. The same simply can not be said the other way around. This is rhetorical as we both know there is no winning this.

I didn't know I was trying to win anything, but organizing files which might dissapear is one thing.

Quote:

I didn't want to say it but this is starting to sound like the digital Vs. physical copy argument we got over years ago. Trust things will/are shifting as they do but again this is fine and there is room for all.

Not really following your analogy. But typically I watch movies only once and am satisfied with that. If not I buy them. Netflix, redbox and theaters work fine. But I would give all that up if I could buy 20 movies a month (maybe not the theater)

But I'm not a movie buff either - I'm a DJ. I would throw half my movie collection away to save a random record off my shelf.
deejdave 2:34 AM - 1 April, 2016
Not mad. Dead horse. I will leave you to it for real this time :)
dibb 6:38 AM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
I hope you are not trying to pay a monthly fee to have the right to purchase music a la carte so this sounds awfully much like a record pool and YES people use them already so you are not the only one.

I wouldn't pay that monthly fee to have the right to purchase music, but for the convenience of discovering / browsing (new) music through streaming in my fav dj-app, and the ability to buy songs that I like from within that same service.

Quote:
I have a challenge for you though. If you can name one and I mean ONLY one (real) way a person who uses your method ONLY could benefit over a person who uses both I will admit defeat right now.

$19,99 a month to spend on music you will own comes to my mind as a pretty substantial and recurring benefit.

Quote:

Yup. :)
soul63 8:09 AM - 1 April, 2016
Streaming for a lot of independent artists is just a promotional tool..the aim is a hope that you will buy music that you hear from artists..i say hope,because all the artists i speak to say its not working out that way..truly is a pittance they earn from streaming..i've never done streaming and dont know anyone who does..sure has it benifits for some users..me personally i buy music..at least the artists get a better return..pl have no need to offer sales when they can pay pennies to artists for thousands of plays.it would have to benifit them to offer sales of streamed music,no need though when they earn money through subs,simpler way for them to earn ..
dibb 8:48 AM - 1 April, 2016
Let's assume that the majority of their target audience - dj's - still want to buy single tracks. Why would PulseLocker NOT offer the ability to buy tracks ON TOP OF a monthly sub of € 9,99?

How many tracks would an average dj buy a month? Low estimate: 10?
How much could you sell a track for? € 1,50 (minimum)
That's € 25 a month (including subscription) in stead of 19,99. That's a 25% increase in sales.

Note that if you buy 20 tracks a month for € 2,00 (not very uncommon), you're talking about a € 50 monthly revenue instead of €19,99 (that's a 250% increase in sales).

I'm not even talking about the increased market share, because of the more appealing model.
dibb 8:51 AM - 1 April, 2016
soul63 10:45 AM - 1 April, 2016
Pl would be acting like cd baby etc if they offered tracks for sale..they would only get a small percentage of any transaction..no artists is going to let pl sell music their music under the same contract as streaming..new contracts would have to be drawn up..artists would have to agree to the new terms..maybe its to much of an headache for pl to get into..dont pl give a link to where you can buy the music you are streamng?.why do people need pl to offer the sale?
soul63 10:50 AM - 1 April, 2016
just look at the subscription to pl ..as a finders fee..not everybody got time to trawl all different download sites..with pl you got it all in one place..if thats your thing
Mr. Goodkat 5:39 PM - 1 April, 2016
anything with legal music services has a ton of legal run around.

so you have to think that the more fees and complications, the more expense.
Will08272 9:31 PM - 1 April, 2016
Can only speak for me but pulse locker right now is a godsend, i have a gig for a elementary school students and parents function, and browsing through radio disney charts im finding almost all the tracks on their charts. All these tracks im probably never going to play again and being able to rent them makes the service all worth it. And also the downloading of these tracks makes it even better cause the reception in the place is non existent.
Mr. Goodkat 11:02 PM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
All these tracks im probably never going to play again and being able to rent them makes the service all worth it.

to me this makes total sense. ive prob spent in excess of 1000$ over the years getting tracks, online and physical media, for events ill never play again.

it seems to have integrated and works well, plus it didnt make the SDJ software more or less buggy that it currently is. i think that in itself is a win.
DJ Subtext 6:04 AM - 2 April, 2016
I'm trying to figure out what good is Pulselocker without DJ friendly edits? Clean/dirty, mixshow/intro etc?
Will08272 3:57 PM - 3 April, 2016
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out what good is Pulselocker without DJ friendly edits? Clean/dirty, mixshow/intro etc?

As far as the ease of obtaining those files (Intros & edits) they arent there, but more than likely both clean and dirty versions of songs are on there if it was something that was provided to the source. They and every other streaming music provider are limited to what they get from labels/distributors.

The service may not fit many people's work flow or even philosophy as far as ownership, but on the surface it's just access and the ability to download files that they (Pulselocker) has access to. And they are the only service in this field that have the download option, Spotify is integrated into DJAY, but is streaming only. I believe Mixvibes and virtual dj have soundcloud access which i believe is streaming only as well.
Will08272 4:07 PM - 3 April, 2016
Also forgot to mention that the tracks can be flipped so you can make edits of your own, Another aside is the ability to edit the tags and beatgrids for these files, it could have not been allowed and that is a huge albiet seemingly small feature.
d:raf 5:15 PM - 3 April, 2016
Quote:
The service may not fit many people's work flow or even philosophy as far as ownership, but on the surface it's just access and the ability to download files that they (Pulselocker) has access to. And they are the only service in this field that have the download option, Spotify is integrated into DJAY, but is streaming only.

Au contraire...

You can create an "offline playlist" in the Spotify app and download the songs there, then link to that offline playlist from the DJAY app.
cosmicbaggy 6:09 PM - 3 April, 2016
Is there any way of when storing the tracks offline, having them stored on an external hard drive (where i store all my music)?

The last thing i want to do is clog up my local drive...
Will08272 9:00 PM - 3 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
The service may not fit many people's work flow or even philosophy as far as ownership, but on the surface it's just access and the ability to download files that they (Pulselocker) has access to. And they are the only service in this field that have the download option, Spotify is integrated into DJAY, but is streaming only.

Au contraire...

You can create an "offline playlist" in the Spotify app and download the songs there, then link to that offline playlist from the DJAY app.

Wow didn't know that, thanks for that info. I've messed around with DJAY Pro and the software was really good. The 9.99 price for spotify maybe a better option for those considering a streaming option.
Will08272 9:01 PM - 3 April, 2016
Quote:
Is there any way of when storing the tracks offline, having them stored on an external hard drive (where i store all my music)?

The last thing i want to do is clog up my local drive...

I believe they are stored in a folder in your serato folder, maybe moving your serato folder to your external will cause the downloads to appear there.
d:raf 10:33 PM - 3 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Au contraire...

Wow didn't know that, thanks for that info. I've messed around with DJAY Pro and the software was really good. The 9.99 price for spotify maybe a better option for those considering a streaming option.

Actually, I have to take that back... you can access your Spotify playlists, but you still have to be online to do so, so that doesn't help much.

Watchwww.youtube.com
nik39 6:38 AM - 4 April, 2016
I agree. The option of being able to buy tracks would be really nice. One stop shop.

Also if you're saying Serato has no influence on anything PL does, then you're ignoring the fact that there are customers which Serato is bringing to PL's table. So it's good to let both parties know of what we'd like to have and see, and how to improve this service.

For me personally, I won't spend my time on managing a library where tracks can easily pulled off without any notification.
Spinchip 10:50 AM - 4 April, 2016
I thought the whole reason for Pulselocker was to allow amateurs like me to have access to a much larger library and to then be able to share mixes (good or bad) at small events, livestream etc. Sadly, it looks like I can't do any of it. Here's the T&C's;

"Pulselocker permits you to use the Service solely for your personal, individual use. You agree not to license, copy, reproduce, “rip”, record, make available to the public, create derivative works from, transfer, sell or re-sell any content (including but not limited to any music, images, video, text, or other material available through the Service) information, or services obtained from the Software or Site in a manner not expressly permitted under this Agreement."

"Create derivate works" - a.k.a a bleeding mix!!!

So WTF is Pulselocker for then, just looking at a library??

Just feels like a waste of time - please help correct me if I'm reading this all wrong.....
maarawoe 11:03 AM - 4 April, 2016
Hmm these T&C looks like that using the tracks in your mixes on a public venues is not legal the same way like playing downloaded tracks...
So unless you want twice expensive Spotify like service which is more designed for DJ's, there is no point in it :-(
Spinchip 11:10 AM - 4 April, 2016
Quote:
Hmm these T&C looks like that using the tracks in your mixes on a public venues is not legal the same way like playing downloaded tracks...
So unless you want twice expensive Spotify like service which is more designed for DJ's, there is no point in it :-(

Sent a direct question to Pulselocker to see what they say. Does seem like a waste if you can't show people what you mix?!
AKIEM 1:49 PM - 4 April, 2016
So 'legally' you can only play for yourself. No gigs, no mixes. Maybe that's why no clean versions of tracks are required - unless you might offend yourself as a DJ.

sigh

I wonder if individual tracks could also must 'dissapear'....
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:55 PM - 4 April, 2016
Quote:
So 'legally' you can only play for yourself. No gigs, no mixes.

That is correct. This is where VDJ's Content Unlimited has them beat. Plus the fact you can 'stream' and/or 'download' the cache file for offline play at the rate of only 10 bucks a month.......

But..... Just like PL there is no option to purchase the track on the spot.
Spinchip 2:54 PM - 4 April, 2016
Quote:
So 'legally' you can only play for yourself. No gigs, no mixes

Hmm. I'm still waiting for PL to respond. It's interesting that their website marketing guff says "Permitted for use in public venues and clubs", but then the T&Cs say something different. I'd agree with the SOUNDINSURGENT, VDJ looks like the better deal. Let's hope PL comes back and tells me the T&Cs are wrong(!) as I've invested a load of time trying to learn Serato
maarawoe 4:12 PM - 4 April, 2016
Quote:
It's interesting that their website marketing guff says "Permitted for use in public venues and clubs"

They are not prohibiting you to take on your headphones in the club and listen yourself the tracks you have in the Pulselocker... :-D
Basically you are also permitted for use in public buses, trains etc... ;-)
Spinchip 5:01 PM - 4 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
It's interesting that their website marketing guff says "Permitted for use in public venues and clubs"

They are not prohibiting you to take on your headphones in the club and listen yourself the tracks you have in the Pulselocker... :-D
Basically you are also permitted for use in public buses, trains etc... ;-)

:) lovely interpretation, your Honour :)
dibb 8:54 PM - 4 April, 2016
Regarding these T&C, read also the Beatport T&C (paragraph 2): support.beatport.com

Without the prior written consent of Beatport or the applicable copyright holder, and except as provided in this Agreement, no Content may be transmitted, distributed, translated, publicly displayed, uploaded, published, recorded, retransmitted, rented, sold, distributed, digitized, endorsed, reproduced, altered to make new works, performed, or compiled in any commercial way. ...... The Content is only for your personal, noncommercial use, except for those Products provided for by Beatport Sounds or Sounds to Sample.

Just curious: How many of you that buy tracks on Beatport are asking Beatport for written consent to display those tracks publicly (or to make a mix)?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:15 PM - 4 April, 2016
ITunes is the same way, thought this was all pretty common knowledge.....
Mr. Goodkat 1:33 AM - 5 April, 2016
thats why i illegally dl music, no t&c :P
dibb 6:25 AM - 5 April, 2016
Quote:
ITunes is the same way, thought this was all pretty common knowledge.....

ITunes is the same way, but iTunes isn't aimed at dj's. Beatport and Pulselocker are, and PL is even integrated in a DJ app. Furthermore PL is charging €19,99 a month, supposedly to cover for the licensing.

It might be common knowledge that these T&C's are the way they are, but if somebody could explain me the rationale behind it, that would be very welcome. Maybe Serato could chime in as well since they have integrated PL in SDJ and target this service to their audience.

So @Pulsolocker (or Serato): Are you as a DJ allowed to play Pulslocker tracks in public, get paid for that performance, without any written consent of PL?
AKIEM 1:52 PM - 5 April, 2016
The answer is - wink wink

Couruption sure has a nice platform when society makes 'everything' illegal.
Perry-D 2:12 PM - 5 April, 2016
Lets get to the bottom line ....

1) Is this a DJ Pool for $19.99/month ... will you now own the tracks you down load
2) If you later cxl Pulselocker, do you still have/own the tracks you down loaded
3) I am currently in the trial period and noticed that I don't see the complete Tags in Serato ...such as Genre ....whats up with that?

4) Will I ever be able to use other software to analyze these tracks I downloaded ... such as the use of Mixed In Key ... I need this as Mixed in key gives me cue points and energy data
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:57 PM - 5 April, 2016
Quote:
Lets get to the bottom line ....

1) Is this a DJ Pool for $19.99/month ... will you now own the tracks you down load
2) If you later cxl Pulselocker, do you still have/own the tracks you down loaded
3) I am currently in the trial period and noticed that I don't see the complete Tags in Serato ...such as Genre ....whats up with that?

4) Will I ever be able to use other software to analyze these tracks I downloaded ... such as the use of Mixed In Key ... I need this as Mixed in key gives me cue points and energy data

1: No, your leasing the tracks month to month.

2:No, once you cancel they will no longer be available.

3: This is something PL would have to do on their end I believe.

4: No, you can't run these throw another program as you don't really have the actual mp3 file. I believe its just a cache file that can only be played with in SDJ.
Mr. Goodkat 6:30 PM - 5 April, 2016
if you believe in mixed in key energy data just quit now.
PopRoXxX 6:39 PM - 5 April, 2016
Quote:
if you believe in mixed in key energy data just quit now.

This!!! +💯 🙌
😂
DJ Tecniq 7:52 PM - 5 April, 2016
How the hell is everyone using Pulselocker? I can't even login. Tried Facebook it does nothing, tried to sign up as new member it tells me the password is incorrect. I know it's correct cause I've changed it. What the hell is up with this shit...
Cwite 8:10 PM - 5 April, 2016
At DJ Tecniq, Honestly I've had a pretty painless experience so far. The searches are coming back better gradually and I have streamed tracks as well as downloaded them at gigs and everything has been perfect.

Also I'm pretty taken with their main site too. I have been a commercial dance DJ for many years so I've never really strayed from this path with purchases. I buy what pays my bills you know? But this system has opened up a world of music I wouldn't normally browse. Im loving it!! I think I will be keeping it at the end of my trial.

Genres are supposedly coming to the tags soon so it will only get better. The option to purchase would be nice though.
DJ Tecniq 8:20 PM - 5 April, 2016
Quote:
At DJ Tecniq, Honestly I've had a pretty painless experience so far. The searches are coming back better gradually and I have streamed tracks as well as downloaded them at gigs and everything has been perfect.

Also I'm pretty taken with their main site too. I have been a commercial dance DJ for many years so I've never really strayed from this path with purchases. I buy what pays my bills you know? But this system has opened up a world of music I wouldn't normally browse. Im loving it!! I think I will be keeping it at the end of my trial.

Genres are supposedly coming to the tags soon so it will only get better. The option to purchase would be nice though.
I finally got in i had to change my password again...Have no idea why but when i browse and add the tracks from pulse locker nothing goes in my PL playlist in Serato? I don't know what I'm doing wrong?
DJ Tecniq 8:24 PM - 5 April, 2016
Weird I shut down Serato and relaunched and all a sudden the Pulselocker tracks are there....like they just appeared so odd.
Cwite 8:28 PM - 5 April, 2016
I finally got in i had to change my password again...Have no idea why but when i browse and add the tracks from pulse locker nothing goes in my PL playlist in Serato? I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

It should work. Its not a live update thought. Serato will only show any new additions from the Web site when you re-open it after a shut down. Are you running them side by side?
monkeyfunk 8:48 PM - 5 April, 2016
Here's what would take this on, and create a bigger takeup.

Serato and Pulselocker do a deal to add tracks in Pyro if you're a Pulselocker subscriber. Just like you can add Spotify Premium tracks, so you can then add Pulselocker tracks.

Instant previews, assemble playlists, no tracks downloaded, but a perfect way for DJ's to harvest new tracks.

But needs a way to mirror playlists you make in Pyro in your Serato.
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:00 PM - 5 April, 2016
Quote:

So @Pulsolocker (or Serato): Are you as a DJ allowed to play Pulslocker tracks in public, get paid for that performance, without any written consent of PL?

Not part of the legal team here , but my understanding is that Pulselocker does have permission to allow public performance. Also allows you to store the file offline for performance. (spotify and other services, i don't believe do eg the djay app)

I'm have no clue how the royalty system works though. Probably one for Pulselocker to answer. I imagine that would be a headache to monitor.

In Canada and New Zealand, Businesses/bars etc pay a license fee to ASCAP, APRA or SOCAN for permission to play music in their establishment. The fee is then handled by the organization that handles these royalties for the region and handles the "accurate" distribution. - www.canadabusiness.ca
Dj Wunder 5:23 AM - 6 April, 2016
Catalogue comment here: "Planes" by J. Cole is missing. Kind of a good example of a song I'd never carry on my gig laptop, but might find a good moment for it if it's requested. Kind of my entire PL workflow...
Dj Wunder 5:25 AM - 6 April, 2016
Quote:
But needs a way to mirror playlists you make in Pyro in your Serato.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS YES +!
Dj Wunder 5:33 AM - 6 April, 2016
Quote:
Catalogue comment here: "Planes" by J. Cole is missing. Kind of a good example of a song I'd never carry on my gig laptop, but might find a good moment for it if it's requested. Kind of my entire PL workflow...

errm, ahem, disregard....
Spinchip 8:29 AM - 9 April, 2016
So I finally got some life from Pulselocker on the T&Cs. See below

Simon - "Hi guys. Can you tidy up a confusion for me. Your marketing page on the website says that the Professional setup is "Permitted for use in public areas and clubs". However your T&Cs clearly state in Section 9, "...You agree not to license, copy, reproduce, “rip”, record, make available to the public, create derivative works from, transfer, sell or re-sell any content...". Creative works is a mix. So what is the legal situation?? I have signed up as it's a great service, but is it legal. Thanks in advance for clarifying, Simon"

Pulselocker - "Hey Simon, this is the reason the "record" button is disabled Serato DJ. You're allowed to create a mix, but technically you are not supposed to record it."

Simon - "Thanks for responding. So am i allowed to broadcast on YouTube, twitch, etc.?"

Pulselocker - "As far as broadcasting goes, those rights lie with the service you are broadcasting on. As long as they are paying the performance royalties, then your broadcast is legally permitted."

So Pulselocker clearly saying that broadcasting is not their problem (fair play). Twitch (and others) then shuts it down with, "This license is subject to these Terms of Service and does not include any of the following: (a) any resale or commercial use of the Twitch Service or the Materials; (b) the distribution, public performance or public display of any Materials"

Therefore Pulselocker is only useful for "old school" (no disrespect) DJs who have the time to work clubs etc and of no possible use to internet DJs/VJs who want to share their skills online.

Maybe it's time to dump Serato/Pulselocker and head over to someone who can offer what I want?
soul63 9:46 AM - 9 April, 2016
Quote:
So I finally got some life from Pulselocker on the T&Cs. See below

Simon - "Hi guys. Can you tidy up a confusion for me. Your marketing page on the website says that the Professional setup is "Permitted for use in public areas and clubs". However your T&Cs clearly state in Section 9, "...You agree not to license, copy, reproduce, “rip”, record, make available to the public, create derivative works from, transfer, sell or re-sell any content...". Creative works is a mix. So what is the legal situation?? I have signed up as it's a great service, but is it legal. Thanks in advance for clarifying, Simon"

Pulselocker - "Hey Simon, this is the reason the "record" button is disabled Serato DJ. You're allowed to create a mix, but technically you are not supposed to record it."

Simon - "Thanks for responding. So am i allowed to broadcast on YouTube, twitch, etc.?"

Pulselocker - "As far as broadcasting goes, those rights lie with the service you are broadcasting on. As long as they are paying the performance royalties, then your broadcast is legally permitted."

So Pulselocker clearly saying that broadcasting is not their problem (fair play). Twitch (and others) then shuts it down with, "This license is subject to these Terms of Service and does not include any of the following: (a) any resale or commercial use of the Twitch Service or the Materials; (b) the distribution, public performance or public display of any Materials"

Therefore Pulselocker is only useful for "old school" (no disrespect) DJs who have the time to work clubs etc and of no possible use to internet DJs/VJs who want to share their skills online.

Maybe it's time to dump Serato/Pulselocker and head over to someone who can offer what I want?
youtube.soundcloud,if you dont have the rights they will take it down regardless if it comes from a streamed mix or bought etc..i use mixlr ,i have to pay..but if i had pulselocker they wouldnt block it..would they?.not sure what your so concerned about to be honest
soul63 9:58 AM - 9 April, 2016
with the offline player..how does pulselocker or any other streamer count those plays?.surely those plays go undetected if its offline..thus the artists dont get credit for those plays.?
Dj Wunder 10:21 PM - 9 April, 2016
Quote:

Yes, perhaps.
Spinchip 8:12 AM - 10 April, 2016
Quote:
i use mixlr ,i have to pay..but if i had pulselocker they wouldnt block it..would they?.not sure what your so concerned about to be honest

@soul63. Mixlr is a good service, but again it doesn't cover you (strictly). Quote: "You shall remain the owner of the copyright in any original User Content that you upload, broadcast, share or submit using the Mixlr Service". With Pulselocker I am not the owner of the copyright. If you buy a record, you are still not the owner of the copyright, so by all rights we're all still on the naughty.

End of the day, you are right that they are not gonna hunt me down (unless it's on YouTube). It's more about trying to do the right thing. I'm not someone who wants to buy the music to keep forever as most of the music I like only lasts for 6 months at best.

No doubt the industry is making some great strides in the right direction, so I think Pulselocker stays for non-broadcast. And they probably need the money to continue to invest. I would hope that offline plays still get a play count so that Pulselocker can see who to credit.

I'll go see what VirtualDJ can do anyway - never tried it...
maarawoe 9:35 AM - 10 April, 2016
So in fact the Pulselocker is really not usabele for anything else than just listening in your bedroom...?
Spinchip 5:48 AM - 11 April, 2016
Maarawoe, for the moment yes, but you can do live sets. It's just broadcast. The law is not tight enough. It is the chance of recording where it falls over
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:31 PM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:
So in fact the Pulselocker is really not usabele for anything else than just listening in your bedroom...?

No, this isn't what they are trying to say.
Basically its exactly the same as normal mp3 files. (you aren't allowed to put these on youtube either)
You just need to clear what you play if you intend on selling the mixes. Or make sure you are uploading to a service that is legally allowed to broadcast music eg Mixlcloud, or a Radio station (that pays royalties).

If you record a performance an upload it to youtube it may get taken down whether you use Pulselocker tracks or regular Mp3's

Those algorithm's youtube and soundcloud use can't tell what service you are using or where you got the song from. Just the song information.

Either way broadcast is illegal unless you have a license.
Leafie 3:19 PM - 19 May, 2016
Quote:
so what's the quality?

Rubbish.
cosmicbaggy 3:31 PM - 19 May, 2016
having used PL for a couple of months now the biggest dissapointment is the web browser - it just doesnt work - FLASH!?!?! wtf...

They also dont have mobile useage as yet, the suppose track database is littered with errors/incorrect or unusable versions and the browsing/prep experience is generally hard work.

In thoery this is a great addition to SDJ but as it stands at present its a very frustrating user experience.

I'd also like to be able to store the offline tracks onto my external drive to keep my laptop clean but this is also not an option it seems. Real basic stuff they dont seem to have taken into consideration...

They need some more R&D investment as it's clearly in Beta but hopefully they can iron out the initial issues but for the time being i think i'm not going to bother subscribing for another month.
Spinchip 6:14 PM - 19 May, 2016
Competely with you on the Web browser and mobile. I can only get it to work "properly" in Firefox but even then it is buggy. I really want to have the "spotify" experience in PL.

Let's hope they have some good developers... If be happy to test the hell out of it!
deejdave 8:39 PM - 19 May, 2016
The quality is actually amazing and they 100% do have mobile via Splyce. This is only for iOS but so is Pyro, Remote, and Mix Emergency for Serato so what else is new?
maarawoe 5:50 PM - 20 May, 2016
I had to give it up. The inability to play the tracks on the cdj without computer was so big showstopper that I reverted to the old model - rather 10 good tracks I can play anywhere than 30 "free" binded to some specific application... :-(
stratoferris 6:05 PM - 25 June, 2016
Pulselocker using Adobe flash is the biggest mistake....OSX and Adobe flash do not play well together. And considering 90% of the Djs that would use there service are using OS X they have clearly made a colossal mistake. I can add about 2 or 3 tracks to to playlist before Safari/Chrome lock up and have to be restarted. Such as shame great Idea but is a hot mess. And as far a trying to search for tracks ...we are all going to the same tracks the way the implemented the Genre/This week offerings. No way to dig unless you know the artist or track name. Beta it is! but clearly not ready for public use and actually paying for at this time.
DJ Ravien 4:39 AM - 27 June, 2016
While I really liked the concept not being able to record my sets made it no fun. Since I dont get to DJ out in public as often as I would like recording my sets and playing them back on my way to from and at my day job is what I mostly do.

Also really didn't like that there seemed to be no way to browse tracks to find things I might like. The whole weekly layout didn't do much for me. Which I see the guy above me mentioned as well.