Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Needle Search Needs a Lock or Ability to Disable

reyflemings 1:53 AM - 22 December, 2012
Needle Search is a cool feature, but you *must* provide the ability to lock it (similar to the CDJ-2000 feature). Unless this feature is provided, the DDJ-SX while really nice in many ways is just a toy that you can't actually put on a stage.

What if the Stop/Start button was 6 inces long, touch sensitive and positioned between the platter head, effects toggle switches (that need to be played quickly and in time to the song) and other valuable controls? Do you how often people would train wreck their sets? We'll that kinda what an unlocked needle search is doing.

I can't imagine a higher priority feature for your next release.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:21 PM - 23 December, 2012
Hey reyflemings,

I can understand where you are coming from. I think some users may benefit from either locking or disabling the needle search.

Unfortunately this was decided by Serato and Pioneer product teams to be this way, but if enough people were affected by this, it may change in a forthcoming release.

The best thing I can do for you is move this to feature suggestion area. This is where the product team gauge how important certain features and modifications are for the software.
10:22 PM, 23 Dec 2012
Discussion moved to Serato DJ Feature Suggestions
reyflemings 7:56 PM - 24 December, 2012
Let's analyze how Pioneer chose to deal with Needle Search on the CDJ-2000 Nexus (reading directly from the product manual):

"The Needle Search pad can only be operated in the following cases:
- In the pause mode
- While the jog dial is being pressed with the job mode set to VINYL"

So, the issue of errant triggering of Needle search has clearly already been identified by Pioneer as a problem. Pioneer has already implemented a fine solution on its flagship product (and lesser models). In light of the fact that this problem was already identified and solved in other Pioneer products with the same feature, why do we need to come over here to the Serato forum and beg for this feature? It's insulting, stupid and a waste of my time and energy. Needle Search as implemented is obviously an omission and its going to wreck sets when playing live. Needle Search is even worse on the DDJ-SX than the CDJ because the platter and Needle Search are closer together.

The DDJ-SX is Serato's flagship control for Serato DJ. Yet, this solution is not offered to people who shell out $1,000 on you flagship controller. Sorry, but this isn't appropriate and Serato is forgetting who you serve.

Thankfully the three DDJ-SX controllers that I purchased are all well within their 30 day return window and will be going back to the store in light of your response and refusal to take this matter seriously. I've long been an ardent customer and fan of your product line, but the complete disregard that you have for your very best, early adopting customers is forcing me to reconsider that decision.

At issue is what type of company Serato wants to be and who you want your customers to be. I've been a customer of your company since the very beginning and personally own the scratch live (before they were numbered), the SL3, the SL 4, the TTM57, the TTM Sixty-Two and now the three DDJ-SX's that I just purchased last week (one for me, one for my 9 year old son and one for an installation). On top of that, I've caused your equipment to be purchased by various installations around the country, particularly during the early days transitioning from 1200s and CDJs, when venues were largely clueless about the needs of working professionals.

Understand what this means: My son, 9 years old can't wait to DJ. He's getting a controller for Christmas tomorrow. Had Serato responded by acknowledging what is obvious: "we missed the mark on that and are going to prioritize it" you'd have another DJ on your software from day 1. Instead, I'm going to return these DDJ-SXs and purchase a Tracktor product for my son to learn on.

You guys have a very simple decision to make: Either add Beatgrid as an option to Scratch Live for those of us needing a 3rd or 4th deck, or commit to making Serato DJ a pro app with pro controllers (and pro features). You guys are playing a very dangerous game of intentionally and artificially handicapping your "flagship" product in order to spawn new, slightly differentiated products. It's insulting and frankly, after personally spending over $12,000 on your products over the years, I've had it.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:38 AM - 25 December, 2012
Hey reyflemings,

I am sorry you feel this way, and I apologize if it appears that I have not taken your suggestion seriously, this was not my intentions at all.

We are certainly not trying to intentionally handicap our software. Its a very tough decision making process to prioritize certain features and bug fixes in every release we put out.

If I am honest, I can't say personally I have had a massive amount of people asking for what you are asking for, however I can completely understand the logic behind it, and I appreciate the fact that Pioneer have implemented something to correct this issue, something they obviously received feedback on.

I can also tell you that, having moved this discussion to feature suggestion area, means other like minded users can join this discussion. I will be watching it closely, and if this issue affects many users like it does for you, this feature will slide up the priority list, and has way higher chances of being implemented.

Please understand, that as a support person, I cannot implement this feature myself, nor can I approach the product team and say that one or two users from our forums request this. It really is a case of numbers speaking volumes, which I personally believe is the best way to gauge importance of the issue to our customers.

Its not a waste of time, you can truly make a change here, and as I have explained, if many people contact Serato and/or Pioneer about this, its much more likely to change.

I appreciate your loyalty to our products over the years, and we hope to keep you around as we improve the software features to suit as many of our customers as possible.

Thanks.
reyflemings 6:18 PM - 25 December, 2012
Quote:

If I am honest, I can't say personally I have had a massive amount of people asking for what you are asking for, however I can completely understand the logic behind it, and I appreciate the fact that Pioneer have implemented something to correct this issue, something they obviously received feedback on.

So, Serato DJ is new software, the DDJ-SX is new hardware, and Needle Search as but one of many features is also new. What's the population of people that you think own CDJ-2000 or 2000/Nexus' *and* bought a DDJ-SX in order to have an informed opinion about Needle Search? On earth, that population is probably so finite, it's hard to measure. Could that be the reason that you don't have a massive amount of people asking for it? Do enough Serato DJ / DDJ-SX users has experience with the better solution to even realize that something is wrong with your implementation of it?

"It's not the customer's job to know what they want." -- Steve Jobs.

Could you or your product team point out a single example of Needle Search on a Pioneer product that isn't lockable or require 'two-steps' to trigger it? I

The question then is simple -- is the DDJ Needle Search implementation an improvement on Needle Search on other Pioneer products? Or -- will Pioneer be changing their implementation of Needle Search to match that of the DDJ on future product releases? The answer to both of those questions is obviously and plainly no.

Needle Search as presently implemented is broken and an obvious error. We're all human, we all make mistakes and I get that. That Serato chooses to characterize it otherwise is what's insulting and infuriating. But I'm done with the discussion.
phatbob 7:24 PM - 25 December, 2012
I've played around 30 gigs with my SX now, and I've yet to hit the needle search once in error, and I use FX almost constantly. As I don't use it deliberately either, I'd almost forgotten it exists.

Did you actually find yourself hitting it by mistake whilst mixing, or is this all theoretical?
reyflemings 8:15 PM - 25 December, 2012
Twice in 3 sets + 2 other DJs (very familiar with Serato and CDJs) on our installation for a holiday party.
Bryan Stormer 9:45 PM - 25 December, 2012
This request already have like 5 opened threads ! It should be on the top of the priority list now :)

I hope to see it in the next update...
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:04 AM - 27 December, 2012
Hey reyflemings,

As I have already stated I am not disregarding what you are saying, and I hope you understand this.

I can assure its something already on our backlog for implementation, and more than likely was discussed as something to be done before the unit was released, and before any customer feedback came through.

Quote:
Needle Search as presently implemented is broken and an obvious error. We're all human, we all make mistakes and I get that. That Serato chooses to characterize it otherwise is what's insulting and infuriating.

Your first sentence I can agree with, its a bit of a short fall on our behalf. In my position I can't give more hard details, but it sounds like it is in our plans to correct it as soon as we possibly can.

I don't think I am trying to characterize anything here though. You have rightly pointed a fault in the design, and it seems others agree.

Prioritizing it appropriately is the next step. This can't jump the queue in the front of something like, Auto play, for example, but it is really important and appreciated on your behalf to provide feedback. I moved this into the feature suggestion area for more feedback from others so appropriate action can be taken.

Robert Hode 1:07 PM - 28 March, 2013
+1
DJ GSOUND 8:49 AM - 6 June, 2013
+ infinity
Big Fat Duck 9:57 PM - 7 June, 2013
+1 !

I screwed up a fucking good set due to the needle search...
MrMontana 12:15 AM - 10 June, 2013
Quote:

Please understand, that as a support person, I cannot implement this feature myself, nor can I approach the product team and say that one or two users from our forums request this. It really is a case of numbers speaking volumes, which I personally believe is the best way to gauge importance of the issue to our customers.

I've seen this expressed as the Support go-to answer a lot of times now here, and I feel like I need to comment on it.

Critical mass may be a decent indicator of something needing attention, but the *lack* of said critical mass is not an indicator that something is not important. This is the implication of what you're saying. 'Your customers' are both those individuals who visit this forum, and the VAST majority who don't. Research shows that customers who express themselves through electronic word-of-mouth communication are most often those who are very happy or very unhappy, and that a very small (read: Often less than 2%) of a products users ever find the products online presence, much less take an active participatory role. To be perfectly clear, there is *zero* research anywhere that supports that online forum quantity-based requests are any sort of realistic indication of how to drive feature priorities.

I think you're making a serious error in telling your loyal segment that the only way to invoke change is to get a bunch of others to +1 an idea, or that only ideas with mass-traction are worth considering. That basically voids everything we know about power users and how those customers act and how to treat them. You have to understand that when users only had to buy a hardware product, the build quality of the unit was what mattered, along with the features it initially came with. Now that you're selling a software product that ties into an expensive hardware component, the way that software is updated and maintained becomes a hard-limit on the usefulness of the hardware component. And lack of trust in the software vendor is, from the perspective of the user, the *same thing* as lack of trust in the hardware that it powers.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:01 AM - 10 June, 2013
I agree with much of what you have said, but you are making the assumption that the way we gauge interest for features is the only we decide things are done. Sorry, if I made it sound like that.

In my role, the forum is the main place for me to help monitor interest for new features/feature changes etc. Me then conveying this information to someone from our product team, or quite simply the product team themselves browsing this area of the forum, is only a part of how a decision might be made.

Other factors may include:

- User Research conducted with real working DJs in house and user surveys sent out to randomly selected portions of users on our mailing lists.
- Discussion between the product team themselves and advice offered by developers and testers as to the best way things could be implemented in terms of development and future proofing.
- The huge factor of the hardware partner themselves, which will include their own product team discussions, comparisons between other products in their range, and possibly their own market research, whether it be forum/surveys/seeing what sells well etc.

Im not trying to claim that every factor I have mentioned took a part in making the decision about the topic at hand, but I thought I might let you know that we don't rely solely on reading these types of discussions to make decisions.

You are quite right that in some cases many people who want this feature may never take the time to make a point of posting up on the forum. It could also easily be argued that most people might not want this feature and only some edge case users will request the feature. So thats a good reason why not every feature will be implemented, because at the end of the day, not everyone can be pleased.

Just to clarify, none of the above is to argue that there is a right or wrong way the needle search feature should work, but just to highlight the fact that all things must be carefully considered.

In saying all of the above, how would you best like us to respond to this type of request in the future? Keeping in mind that someone like myself is not in the position to make any promises, and even the product team themselves would stay somewhat tight lipped until they are very certain they have made the decision and the feature/change is well under way to being implemented.
UNISTORM 7:09 PM - 14 June, 2013
Hello folks, please note that I ended up selling my DDJ-SX for this reason; I guess I was just too clumsy for this unit. Upgraded to CDJs where needle search feature remains locked during playback (logical).
phatbob 8:57 PM - 14 June, 2013
I used to have doubts, because I was mainly controlling FX with Lemur.

But the last few months I've been controlling FX exclusively with the SX, and I have never come CLOSE to activating the touchstrip by mistake.

If some of you manage to do so, I can't imagine how clumsy you are. I'd hate to watch you eat. Or be a passenger in a car you're driving...
MrMontana 12:14 PM - 18 June, 2013
Quote:
I agree with much of what you have said, but you are making the assumption that the way we gauge interest for features is the only we decide things are done. Sorry, if I made it sound like that.

That is indeed the way I (and most likely the author of the original post) interpreted your response. I didn't expect that to be the case, hence my indication that this approach/front wasn't very truthful. I appreciate the more elaborate response =)

Quote:
In saying all of the above, how would you best like us to respond to this type of request in the future? Keeping in mind that someone like myself is not in the position to make any promises, and even the product team themselves would stay somewhat tight lipped until they are very certain they have made the decision and the feature/change is well under way to being implemented.

The main issue I picked up on was that your approach came across as dangling a carrot in front of the users face that they can't possibly reach on their own. And thats almost never a good thing in a support situation. I'm not sure there is a good way to respond to feature requests pr. se.

Many companies omit doing so entirely to avoid the headache, which has the well-known effect of people thinking the company has zero regard for customers. Others have had good luck with empowering certain stable, loyal users to a community representative status, and having occasional dialog between development team and community representatives. This kind of communication doesn't have to reveal deadlines per se, but is often intended to give the whole of the community the feel of closer attachment to the company, without having to physically address all of it.

Coincidentally, building a very large wall between development and users and standing visibly between the community and developers has a similar effect to not responding to any posts - Its an immovable barrier. Alluding to and facilitating occasional contact between the two sides, in any form, is a Good Thing and is worth the monetary cost of diverting the dev-team for a 30 minute review of features, and the following effort of typing up a news post. Others use very occasional blog posts from the lead developer about the direction of the product / software as a whole, which I think is worth touching on regardless. I see quite a few posts that allude to users not being sure where the different software components are going, and that confusion fosters uncertainty that can lead to deserters.

I hope my commentary was of some use, and kudos to your prompt response =)
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:56 AM - 21 June, 2013
I'm very appreciative of someone like yourself approaching the whole situation with intelligent comments. It makes a great change from some users that requests feature they aren't even really sure why they want, or what they even want. Its not that those people aren't important either, but they don't often consider all the aspects that need be taken into account before just slamming a feature in our software.

If we implemented all things people demanded, well, I am pretty sure we all know that wouldn't go down well. Its this reason why I remain some what vague or simplistic when responding to feature requests - most people don't want to hear anything other than the answer "yes we will do that" so I find it not so necessary to break it down any more most of the time.

I certainly don't want to take the "no response" path myself, generally our lack of response in these types of threads is more about support staff being overwhelmed with support requests and not having as much time to browse/be involved these areas. I also personally enjoy engaging with customers, it helps me learn more about our software and what people want out of our software.

In years gone by, Serato was a smaller company of 20-30 or so (this was not too long ago in fact). Developers would browse the forum and engage with customers about feature requests, especially in beta areas. These days we are a lot more conscious about developers spending time on the forum rather than developing.

As part of a support persons role, we provide that link between customers and development. We keep internal tabs on the popularity of feature requests and provide this feedback to our product team. If we deem a feature to be particularly popular/consistently asked for, we will raise this to our product team. Generally what happens after that is our product team will put this idea into a "backlog" or list of jobs to do.

Now its up to the product team to weigh this job against other features or work that may be coming through via the other factors I mentioned above. If its deemed to be either very critical or highly requested, its more likely to sit above the priority list when compared to other things.

If there is similar work or implementation taking place, then the feature request is then even more likely, as the developers will be working around the appropriate code. This could also mean however, if we know we have plans to do work in a similar vein to the feature request in 6 months time, the feature request may be held off and scheduled then, because it just makes sense (provided its not deemed critical or above other work).

I hope this clarifies things further :)

Quote:
This request already have like 5 opened threads ! It should be on the top of the priority list now :)

I hope to see it in the next update..

Any chance you could link me to those 5 opened threads? Its clearly stated in the recommendations of the feature request area to NOT start separate threads for the same request, so I hope those people that started the requests considered this counter productive to their cause in some ways :)
MrMontana 10:40 PM - 21 June, 2013
Thanks for the reply Martin, its good to see/feel staff who are actively involved with their community in a positive way =)

Touching on the subject of this thread for a second, I played my first gig with the DDJ-SX yesterday. The DJ booth was not well-lit, so most of the light I had was from a laptop stand with the laptop in front of the DDJ-SX, and the button light from the unit itself. I activated needle search 3 times by accident, during the 5 hour gig. Twice through temporary pitch adjust (was spinning top of platter, hit needle search), and once when turning on an FX. In two of the three cases I was able to save the situation without anyone noticing, but the first time the actively playing song warped to a spot in the beginning with zero sound. For me, this is a big issue - I'm *scared* of the needle-search area, but I like the functionality enough that I'm not going to tape it over.

I feel like needle searching is a very specific usecase currently, on the DDJ-SX. You're doing it when you want to search through a song, either to a semi-specific point, or just browsing through it. This is never something you do with an actively playing song.

With that in mind, I can see several different ways to 'lock' the needle to prevent this.

1) Require holding the SHIFT button to activate needle search for this functionality. This frees up the needle bar for other functions that you may want to implement using the needle, when not holding SHIFT or holding a different activator key. However, it does break the consistency of SHIFT functionality being marked in grey and being 'secondary', as there'd be no 'primary' use. It also ties up both hands to needle-search.

2) When a track loads, disable needle search. Require a key combination to toggle it for a track, after which needle search is available. This has the benefit of being consistent, but also requires you to remember to toggle *off* needle-search once you're doing searching. This is something you'd get used to rather quickly, I think.

3) Disable needle search on a song thats currently playing. I'm not a big fan of this, because it means you can't needle-search and then just wait and let it play a few seconds, hit somewhere else, let it play a few seconds, etc. You'd have to needle search, hit Play, hit Pause/Cue, then needle search again. To me, this is the worst of the 3.

4) Disable needle-search for any virtual deck whose channel volume is above 0%. If you want, make this a toggle in Options, so that users who are fine with the existing functionality don't have anything changed. This is my favorite option, but I'm not sure whether its possible, that depends on whether that information is available at all in the right places.
JuriV 6:32 AM - 23 June, 2013
Wow, quite a read... :-)
Hopefully this thread makes it a priority to develop a disable function in some kind of way. (For instane, just like on the cdj's). So +1!

Thanks,
JuriV
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:45 AM - 25 June, 2013
I think this one is my favorite suggestion:

Quote:
1) Require holding the SHIFT button to activate needle search for this functionality. This frees up the needle bar for other functions that you may want to implement using the needle, when not holding SHIFT or holding a different activator key. However, it does break the consistency of SHIFT functionality being marked in grey and being 'secondary', as there'd be no 'primary' use. It also ties up both hands to needle-search.

I like the others too, they are quite "smart" implementation styles, but perhaps not necessary when suggestion 1 can solve it much more easily.

Appreciate the suggestions a lot! I will make sure those are logged with the feature request so they can be considered as how to implement it. Im sorry I can't provide any more than that right now, but I will keep watching this, and keep pushing the idea where appropriate :)
DJ Boom Bap 3:21 AM - 25 June, 2013
+1
Dane White Wolf 2:49 AM - 26 June, 2013
I certainly +1 This thread!

This issue should have been addressed from day one, and the product not released without such a vital yet simple function. I personal feel it is essential to have needle search locked, and activated with a shift function or when a deck is paused. considering the lay out of the entire controller, needle search is placed right in between the two sections that potentially would have the most physical interaction, aside form the mixer.

This absolutely needs to be fixed!

Please & Thank you~!
jeba 12:25 PM - 12 July, 2013
And again one more +1 !!!
freddyc 3:42 PM - 28 July, 2013
Quote:
DjCity 4:56 PM - 28 July, 2013
I just got my DDJ SX and used it last night for the 1st time live.

I hit the strip search by accident. (Not Cool)

+1 for locking the strip search!
DjCity 5:02 PM - 28 July, 2013
Related thread
serato.com

There are more of them sprinkled within other threads.
DJ rAd1caL 9:16 PM - 17 August, 2013
Quote:
djallstyle 5:33 AM - 19 August, 2013
Massive +1
Joe Fresh 6:38 PM - 20 August, 2013
+1

With the 1.3 update, I'm finding myself using the effects more and more (they're a ton of fun and sound great!).

Unfortunately, this also means I'm accidentally hitting the needle search more while a track is playing.

An option in the setup for locking the needle search during playback would be a welcome feature.
Dj A.N.G 10:30 PM - 21 August, 2013
+1

Since the 1.3 update i have been using FX a lot more and last night for example i hit the needle search a few times during the set. Theres needs to be an option to lock this or at least set it to only work when not playing (or active deck)
Eplo 6:14 PM - 22 August, 2013
+1

This new update is great for FX, but when I'm playing in a less than brightly lit area I find that I knock into the needle scratch the more I mess with FX.
phlowless 2:22 PM - 12 September, 2013
+1

for needle search lock.

I hit it by accident all of the time. Don't think I am that clumsy either....
sruste 6:42 AM - 13 September, 2013
definitely +1 on this.

In the meantime, would putting a strip of black tape on top of it help?
DJVaage 2:58 PM - 15 September, 2013
Ok, seriously Serato Team! Are we going to get any confirmation about this feature being implemented soon? Personally I've been careful and lucky enough to not accidentally hit the needle search during a set, but actually doing so is a horror scenario for me. It is really strange why Pioneer has chosen to implement such a lock feature with their own CDJ-2000 while then deciding to not implement such a safety feature with DDJ-SX and Serato.

As stated earlier in this thread, Pioneer and Serato agreed that this was not a necessary feature. Maybe it was because you agreed that people probably would not accidentally hit the needle search and it would not be a problem, but then again: who would ever use needle search for an active playing track? To not implement such a feature is to me against common sense.

I would go as far as to not even call this a "Feature Request" but a very Critical fix that needs to be addressed.
Quote:

The best thing I can do for you is move this to feature suggestion area. This is where the product team gauge how important certain features and modifications are for the software.

I really hope the Serato team takes this seriously as there's been created multiple threads with multiple replies from the community on the forum on this subject alone:

serato.com
serato.com
serato.com
serato.com

I can't really imagine that this feature should take many lines of code to implement. Even as simple as holding down SHIFT in order to manipulate the needle search should be really easy to implement.

Please Serato, take care of this critical issue before you'll find more DJs selling their DDJ-SX and leaving Serato for a competitor software.
Eplo 3:40 AM - 16 September, 2013
Quote:
who would ever use needle search for an active playing track?

spot on.

As I was damning the needle-scratch last night, I would love to see it turn into a wet/dry strip for interesting fx (i.e., gating similar to the strip on the Korg Electribe EMX-1 would be sooo much fun).
Joe Fresh 8:54 AM - 16 September, 2013
Last night I touched the strip accidentally twice on an active playing track.

People on the dance floor looked very confused.
nik39 7:16 PM - 20 September, 2013
Interesting read.
DJ The Glove 1:04 AM - 22 September, 2013
+1 from me too!!!
BalticBeach 8:08 PM - 23 September, 2013
What's the big deal? Just put a little toggle button in the settings to disable the needle search. Implementing something like this in software should take less time than typing out these comments.

Sheesh...

If you add a feature ALWAYS provide a way to disable that feature...
Kalus 9:30 AM - 24 September, 2013
+1 needle lock
DJ Sochic 12:21 PM - 15 October, 2013
Same issue as reyflemings already quoted. This feature must be a priority one for Serato`s next release.
It is really unusual that a DJ must pay attention to "not touch accidentally" a button or feature on the gear he is using, during a time that he is supposed to concentrate on giving quality experience to the crowd he is playing for.
Simply the needle search is in a "hand frequent" position and everybody could accidentally hit it and get into an very uncomfortable situation with the audience if this happens several time during one set. And the possibility exist, not depending on someone’s experience or ability to perform.

+1 needle lock
DJDAMNAGE 4:40 PM - 19 October, 2013
Please implement the feature to disable the needle search!
Crazyraider 9:45 PM - 23 October, 2013
Adding a link to this thread for the extra support: serato.com
theapex 6:46 AM - 3 November, 2013
+1

Shift + Needle Search during playback would be fantastic!

And yes, this should be considered a bug fix more so ... and not a feature request. I can't imagine a single person complaining if this was rectified.

Cheers!
DJTrooper 4:52 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
+1

Shift + Needle Search during playback would be fantastic!

And yes, this should be considered a bug fix more so ... and not a feature request. I can't imagine a single person complaining if this was rectified.

Cheers!

+1

Actually came to this forum to look for a way to disable it completely. It's just too close to the FX section.
Unit:E 9:05 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:

3) Disable needle search on a song thats currently playing. I'm not a big fan of this, because it means you can't needle-search and then just wait and let it play a few seconds, hit somewhere else, let it play a few seconds, etc. You'd have to needle search, hit Play, hit Pause/Cue, then needle search again. To me, this is the worst of the 3.

4) Disable needle-search for any virtual deck whose channel volume is above 0%. If you want, make this a toggle in Options, so that users who are fine with the existing functionality don't have anything changed. This is my favorite option, but I'm not sure whether its possible, that depends on whether that information is available at all in the right places.

I am all for either one of these. My problem with it being a Shift function is that we hold shift to change FX in the slots, which means you are quickly pressing right next to the strip again holding the shift button to activate it. I change FX in my sets quite often as I'm sure a lot of you do. This would not fix the situation, only reduce the amount it happens.
Unit:E 9:07 AM - 12 November, 2013
Or, just make it a toggle in the options. Worried of hitting it live? Disable on startup. I haven't hit it live yet, but I have while being lazy with my hands in the lab.
Unit:E 9:07 AM - 12 November, 2013
BTW, +1!
Nathan Cremona 1:07 PM - 14 November, 2013
+1..

Don't see how this feature is ever used anyway.. Personally i've only used it to skip through songs whilst in offline mode just because I was being lazy.
Tobi P 7:33 PM - 14 November, 2013
+1
Mark Quest 1:57 PM - 15 November, 2013
Can we implement the needle-search ONLY being available when the track is Paused?
and while a track is Playing, touching it would work like nudging the jogs slightly
DJ D!N 7:55 PM - 20 November, 2013
First of all i got to say: Nice and professional Job Martin!
secondly: Please publish an update for this BUG!
Im really appreciated with this Controller and also with ur software after using VDJ Pro for quite a long time. But not to release a simple update of the MIDI-command for the Needlesearch, so that u r forced to press shift for example in order to use it, is nothing more then a BIIIIIG FAIL!
So +++1 for finally correcting this after 1 Year(int two days) of begging and complaining from the people who keep ur business alive!!!
Maven303 4:06 PM - 21 November, 2013
+3

Nothing says trainwreck like turning on the effect and randomly skipping to a place in the song. Needs either a "shift+" or a disable in the options... FAST!
Nogasi 3:34 PM - 23 November, 2013
Needle locking +1
I've also had several accidents because of this.
DamianSiurek 10:17 PM - 25 November, 2013
Im not saying that you don't need to add this needle locking feature, but all I'm saying is i have owned my SX for about a year and i have yet to accidentally hit the needle search...
DJ GSOUND 9:14 AM - 27 November, 2013
+ infinty
DJ JPEG 12:17 PM - 3 December, 2013
+ 1
djsergioluiz 3:48 PM - 3 December, 2013
+1
JayB1200 4:21 PM - 3 December, 2013
+1 For Needle Search Lock
Joi Bjarna 11:16 PM - 3 December, 2013
+1 For Needle Search Lock
DJ D!N 8:27 AM - 4 December, 2013
Messed up another transition, 'cause I accidentally hit needle search...
Joe Fresh 7:37 AM - 5 December, 2013
Fingers crossed for this to show up in the 1.6 beta this month.
DJ Mikyg 10:52 PM - 8 December, 2013
+1 on that. Any word on when the beta is released yet?
Tello 8:29 PM - 12 December, 2013
I had to re-record a mixtape four times because of the damn needle search. Useless feature in my opinion and one that should definitely be able to be disabled
Eplo 12:51 AM - 5 January, 2014
How's this coming along?
micblair 1:33 AM - 19 January, 2014
Just got my DDJ-SX and this issue is an absolute killer!

Please Serato implement other uses suggestions or allow an option to decrease the sensitivity (much like the touch sensor fader for the platters).
Le Sioux 12:42 AM - 20 January, 2014
+ 1000 I've also had several accidents because of this, and missed my record mix... :(
Catalytic 5:45 PM - 24 January, 2014
+1 for this feature (with [shift] it's a nive idea)

+1 for highest priority: For me it's impossible to use in live conditions Serato with my DDJ-SX... and you know what, my solution is to use Jaja Traktor mapping... yes i said Traktor...
Le Sioux 11:59 PM - 27 January, 2014
Problem solved whith >>>>>>>> tape :(
Omicronus 8:09 AM - 14 February, 2014
+1
Musiat 9:27 AM - 23 February, 2014
+1 For Needle Search Lock. It's just way too risky having a disastrous function like needle seach less than half an inch from the great fx functions, which are being used constantly. Please come up with a solution to switch it off.

Many thanks
hihereswaldo 12:49 PM - 23 February, 2014
+1,000,000,000,000

I just bought my ddj sx and WILL be taking it back if there is no fix for this CRITICAL flaw soon. I get into my sets and the last thing I need is to have to worry where my fingers may touch when using the jog wheels or effects at a gig. I have enormous hands being 6'8"so yeah, has nothing to do with being clumsy.
Whozya 7:46 AM - 4 March, 2014
+1
Has Serato put this on the list to get this fixed for the next update?
DJ D!N 3:23 PM - 5 March, 2014
Next Update was a few Weeks ago….
Now you know how much they care...
Stressless Steve 5:33 PM - 6 March, 2014
This topic gets my support as well!
DJ D!N 11:32 PM - 11 March, 2014
You must be kidding us… The SZ has the feature, that we've been begin' for years?!?
-.-
Mr Wilks 12:59 AM - 13 March, 2014
I've not hit it myself in the 24 hours I've had it but shift + strip search makes the most sense.
Whozya 1:23 AM - 13 March, 2014
I am pretty sure this is a software fix that Serato can make. I also own VDJ and this is not a issue on their program and works only when the track is paused!
Whozya 2:33 AM - 22 March, 2014
Serato, is there any word on this getting into the next update? I have seen that this is can be controlled vie the software. I own VDJ and they have made it safe for the controller user so it does not happen by accident. Can you please make it safer for us DJ's so we don't have an accident.
Unit:E 6:32 AM - 24 March, 2014
Those of you that are constantly hitting the touch strip, I have a question. Is this happening because you are excited and jumping around then accidentally swipe it while hastily reaching for the fx knob or button? Or is alcohol or other substance inhibiting your depth perception?

This seems like a problem that rookie vinyl djs would have when getting excited and jumping around behind the decks and bumping the table.

I am all for locking it or whatever to make it more difficult to activate, but sometimes a little caution is all that is needed.
KCCO 1:11 PM - 24 March, 2014
This has been ignored since release no matter how many people ask for it to be fixed. They don't care.
Whozya 2:51 PM - 24 March, 2014
I always use caution around my equipment. I have not hit it yet, but there is always the chance that I could touch it reaching for the fx knob. I am 6'5" tall and have large hands.
Stressless Steve 10:07 AM - 25 March, 2014
@ Martin C;

In december 2012 you've said you understood the problem but there just wasn't a lot of people complaining about this. Its been a year and three months or so since you posted that comment.

Now, we're in a long long thread with loads of people complaining. Sure, not all users are complaining, but there are a lot of people who would like to see this feature as well but just don't care to complain about it.

You just release 1.6.1 today. And still no needle lock. Even though the SZ does exactly what we all want and it shouldn't be more than a 5 minute programming job for you.

What's the deal? You tell us you're always listening to your customers as a company, yet with so many complaints after such a long time Serato still doesn't deliver. This really, really saddens me. And I'm guessing everyone else in this thread as well.

I love Serato, but the level of ignorance is just to damn high...
MKEnts 9:22 AM - 28 March, 2014
+1 from me too for the needle search BUG FIX!!
DubDank 12:46 AM - 5 April, 2014
+1 from me! I don't want to have to tape over it! :(
Whozya 4:21 AM - 5 April, 2014
I don't think they are too worried about it. Would be nice if they fixed it as it is a software fix.
Eplo 9:06 PM - 13 April, 2014
I think it's clear Serato doesn't care what their community is requesting as it concerns to this needle search fix. Someone is dropping the ball on connecting with what their users want.
DJ Danny S 9:47 PM - 22 April, 2014
+1 come on sort this Out
Gu3d3s 5:12 AM - 23 April, 2014
+1,000,000,000.00

PLEASE give needle search FIX for SX users!
polarpanda 3:48 PM - 13 May, 2014
Yes, this is such a necessary update to the DDJ SX. I love just about everything about this controller/software, but I can't think of a single DJ who would WANT to use the needle search during playback! It should be accessed either while that deck is paused OR by touching one of the jog wheels at the same time, while in vinyl mode (or by touching the strip plus holding shift, or some other workable solution.)

PLEASE, PLEASE fix this!
Mackee 1:09 AM - 16 May, 2014
+1
DJ RJ 6:22 AM - 16 May, 2014
+1
Gox 10:08 PM - 16 May, 2014
+1
DJTrooper 2:49 PM - 18 May, 2014
Still no word on the inclusion of a fix? Weird. I noticed it as a "flaw" ever since I first purchased my SX. Eventually I posted a comment in this thread in hopes of supporting a workaround by Serato. Not even an option to toggle it. How long has it been now?

Well anyway ... +1 again. ;)
DJ Danny S 2:58 PM - 18 May, 2014
I've never accidentally nudged it, I'm not sure how people do maybe its the way you pitch bend with the platter, BUT in any case this feature is a must, just incase, who wants to needle search on a live track anyway?
Mr Wilks 6:04 AM - 19 May, 2014
I have only done it once only but it's still one too many times.

I personally feel it's a firmware thing and we should be hassling Pio for this too. I'm sure Serato can implement it in software but Pioneer can do the dirty deed too.

They asked for feedback on the SX not their registering page and from what I can see, all the ideas went towards the SZ with no firmware feature improvements at all for SX users.

I do feel like there is no product enhancement in a time when that is now commonplace between tech companies (OSX/iOS/Android etc), only "buy new" with them. I'm so happy Rane didn't take that attitude back with the SL1 or we'd be still In the DJing dark ages.
Mr Wilks 6:05 AM - 19 May, 2014
**on their registration page
Mr Wilks 6:11 AM - 19 May, 2014
I feel we are now used to receiving product enhancements to extend the value of expensive kit a little more now and feel a little cheated with the lack of improvements suggested to Pioneer that have (seemingly) fell on deaf ears... until we realise it went into a superior product.

I suppose tat shows the arrogance of some companies and the way they feel they are 'untouchable' when they are at the top of their game.
MKEnts 10:29 PM - 19 May, 2014
Perhaps we should make as many threads on this as possible & then perhaps they will get a bit p***** off & start paying a bit more attention to the sx users again!!
MKEnts 10:29 PM - 19 May, 2014
Perhaps we should make as many threads on this as possible & then perhaps they will get a bit p***** off & start paying a bit more attention to the sx users again!!
MKEnts 10:35 PM - 19 May, 2014
Oops sorry, it duplicated by mistake!
Gu3d3s 12:24 AM - 20 May, 2014
It is time Pioneer and / or Serato make update the firmware for DDJ-SX ,was promised in the manual that several other functions would be implemented and whare is it?
DJ Mikyg 1:01 AM - 20 May, 2014
Right its official im selling up. serato have just this minute released a new update in 1.6.3 and nothing for the sx. The worst thing is they have even stopped sweet talking everyone and are just ignoring the issue. All the B**L Sh*T about stopping live so they can concentrate on implementing new features and developing serato dj with scratch yet one of the biggest threads on here is missed on yet another update.

I am now going back to hardware instead of help funding another software company that just takes its custommers for granted.

With exception for the vinyl mode and pad functions this now works better with Traktor and with a slight easy tweak its easy to set the track strip to only work when playback is stopped.

Bye bye serato hello 1210's and cdj's
Gu3d3s 1:29 AM - 20 May, 2014
Hi,

is sad to see this happen, you buy an expensive controler because my country, Brazil paid the equivalent of $ 2,000.00,in my DDJ-SX trusting that it was a product of serious companies like Pioneer and Serato, hoping and trusting that the users have assistance and support in product, were always used Traktor and Serato migrated to relying on product quality, which does not want me to leave, to see more improvements Apanas be placed in new hardware and its getting outdated, and not good. See competing products when updated news comes to everything and everyone, do not understand the reason for Serato not be equal.
DJ HERMAN 3:04 AM - 20 May, 2014
DJ HERMAN 3:06 AM - 20 May, 2014
Come people we need broadcast tab

serato.com
Konrad 11:01 PM - 20 May, 2014
+1
Whozya 11:15 PM - 20 May, 2014
I have both Serato DJ and I have Virtual DJ. The needle search is always active on Serato and on Virtual DJ it is protected by the shift button on the unit. I fully believe this is a software issue and we are now left with either waiting on Serato to put in it into there software or moving on to a different program.
DJ HERMAN 11:17 PM - 20 May, 2014
I have both and for me everything work well maybe you have something inrhe settings
Whozya 11:20 PM - 20 May, 2014
Needle search is always active on the DDJ SX with Serato DJ while playing a track. With Virtual DJ you have to hold the shift in order to use the needle search while the track is playing. It is not the settings. I have been looking for a way to have it disabled while playing live so I don't hit it by accident.
DJ HERMAN 11:56 PM - 20 May, 2014
Well I have it too the DDJ SX maybe my biy DJ BAYRON should know I dont used that I am more putting and go lol
DJ HERMAN 11:58 PM - 20 May, 2014
Well it should be in the setting and go to control panel and take that out from the settings I did it for somethingelse I dont remember what I took out but thats how I did it in virtual where the mappers are and serato in the settings
Gu3d3s 1:36 AM - 21 May, 2014
Needle search is always active on the DDJ SX with Serato DJ all TIME, no have control for disable this.
DJ HERMAN 1:38 AM - 21 May, 2014
Ok so I was wrong I thought could be disable
www.facebook.com
Stressless Steve 8:34 PM - 22 May, 2014
I posted on their status update concerning the new software update and they told me to start a thread on the forum. To which I replied that I did and now they're not responding anymore.. really mature way of doing business.

I honestly love the DDJ-SX and I know that this was the deal when I bought it, but seeing this many complaints and still no resolution just saddens me. No one of Serato is actually even responding in this thread anymore.

I fully think we should coordinate a forum hijack, just so they have to give us attention. We are the ones keeping them in business, so the least they can do is invest some time back in us.

www.facebook.com
DJ HERMAN 8:39 PM - 22 May, 2014
I know I dont like this I think I stay with my Virtual DJ 8 that Put Serato like a baby you can broadcast and record at the same time also record video if you are mixing videos it will record on MP4 so its much better software and fully function and with my DDJ SX works fantastic. Take care people I am done with SERATO saying put it in the forum to see what we can do F@##$@ them.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:33 PM - 22 May, 2014
Hi guys,

I follow this discussion and I read each and every comment. I really don't have any new information or answers for you that I haven't previously given.

I would still like to see some way of this being available as an option for you guys, so I push for this when I have the opportunity.

As you would expect, I can't promise you anything, but I thought I could at least offer a response to show you that I am listening.
DJ HERMAN 10:03 PM - 22 May, 2014
Answer whatever you want you guys are far away of been the best software well just answer everyone else because what I want its to broadcast with Serato but will be impossible if you guys only hear if people reply to it I will keep using VDJ 8 provide everything that I need for my Online Radio Station uwradio.fm. ULTIMATE WILD RADIO take care
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:54 PM - 22 May, 2014
Hey DJ HERMAN,

While that is a valid feature request, the topic is not about broadcasting, it is about the ability to lock needle search. Please try and stay on topic :)
DJ HERMAN 12:00 AM - 23 May, 2014
Well I have mine as that but like ypu guys stated need a lot of people so I came to this one to see if they want it too but forget it I am good now with VDJ8
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:05 AM - 23 May, 2014
I think the people in this discussion are posting for a different reason. If people do want the broadcast feature I am sure they will post up in your 3 separate requests for broadcasting :)
Gu3d3s 12:15 AM - 23 May, 2014
Hi Martin C

Users We 're patiently waiting for a long time now , and something that I note is that it is a game of the serato team says that depends on new firmware , and the team says that Pioneer is software issue , and we were unsure who to believe .

See buy the product by relying on manufacturers involved , and especially in my case , it was with the DDJ - SX that Serato has added another fan , myself, and that's why I get to disturb , I insist on improvements in our HARDWARE / SOFTWARE , I have a group on facebook about Serato intended for new users who do not speak or read the English , and possibly bring to their entity Forum questions and suggestions about Serato , my INBOX is practically a Helpdesk , asking about updates, new releases and how to use Serato DJ , and I answer all possible , not only do more for missing equipment , as often happens on the soccer Serato Video , more like I still do not have it is really hard to answer .

Trust Serato team would like more answers , not plumb if only to know what the Hell are taking notice and seeing the possibilities of being met.

With each new version of Serato DJ comes with new functions that are doing Serato increasingly competitive , and we hope it stays that way , also not more than the older hardware is abandoned .

Quote with your help and the whole team Serato .
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:32 AM - 23 May, 2014
Hey Gu3d3,

Although your english is broken, I think I understand your sentiment. One thing that I do not agree with is having mixed messages between Pioneer and Serato. Let me say now, that to the end user that it should not matter who implements what and how.

Pioneer and Serato worked on a collaborative project so its a package to the customer. Its in both our interests to deliver to the customer however we can.

It amazing to hear you spend time helping people out with Serato DJ, I really commend you for doing so and hope that you continue :)

This particular feature request I feel could be achieved via firmware or software, but something you must keep in perspective is: its very easy to continuously update software and bring new features, its not as easy to update hardware and move them into the future without simply making new hardware.

Sure, there are some updates you can make to the firmware, but you can't add new buttons. Its for this reason there may always be the feeling that new hardware eventually falls behind, but I can assure you that these products will be updated where possible, on both the firmware and software side of things.
DJ Mikyg 4:07 PM - 25 May, 2014
Considering u stopped scratch live so u can "work on serato dj and add new features" its not really done any good. This threads been going for over a year now and serato still haven't done a thing. When u implemented the loop naming feature i was sure this update would come soon but obviously someone at serato has decided that they don't like this feature request and will ignore it. Its easy to just post a reply repeating that u have put it forward but thats just a fob off.

When i spend £809 on a serato/pioneer product i expect to get a better service but no.

Packing up, selling up, and moving on
Gu3d3s 7:58 PM - 25 May, 2014
Hi Martin C,

First of all my apologies for my bad english, but you quite understand what I said, do not have doubts but I will continue to help people in Brazil know that using Serato, wish I could do more, unfortunately not for some greater precision have and do not use can not.

All I said was what I see when I post here in the forum and pioneer of the idea that this is going on, realemnte esperoa that is not now in Casão the DDJ-SX is not void of no buttons, so we have plenty of, various resources Issued for exclusive DDJ-SR, and DDJ DDJ-SB-SZ can seram yes deployed in DDJ-SX and I believe an easy way, because we left buttons for that.

Tale and I hope the team do serato by users of SX much because it was with the DDJ-Sx I met SeratoDJ and use to this day, and have done other people know and use this fantastic software.

trust Serato and look new
Leafie 9:18 PM - 25 May, 2014
Not had a problem hitting needle search by accident, but could be useful.
acemc 11:03 PM - 1 June, 2014
+1..........
Serato, you guys took 2 years to implement a simple change of color for a played track.
It's now a year & half later & we're still BEGGING you for this.
How many +1's do you need before you deem this an important & legit request?
Cue point naming got implemented when it doesn't even interfere with normal playing.
WTF???
acemc 11:15 PM - 1 June, 2014
Edit - it actually took 10 months to sort out the played track color request.
But that actually just strengthens this request - Loooooong overdue.
Maff_c 11:03 PM - 15 June, 2014
+1

Please fix this..

Really annoying... Completely ruins the vibe mid mix.. Fucking horrible in front of a crowd..

I will also consider selling up if this doesn't get implemented..
Maff_c 11:23 PM - 15 June, 2014
Also, I will add... I think it should be linked to the "Jog Mode" button like: "vinyl" engaged = needle search on, "vinyl" off = needle search off...
MKEnts 7:48 AM - 16 June, 2014
I think it should be activated like the CDJ2000's & the SZ, by pressing the platter!
edrusher 4:11 PM - 16 June, 2014
Hi guys, I was thinking of getting this controller and making the move from Traktor over to Serato.

Can you tell me if this problem has been addressed yet?
Frozone 6:44 PM - 16 June, 2014
+1 Scratch live needle search is locked when a song is playing. CDJ-2000 Hid Mode.

Serato DJ you can use the needle search while a track is playing ;-(
Gu3d3s 12:33 AM - 17 June, 2014
The best way SHIFT+ needle search.
Mr Wilks 1:54 AM - 17 June, 2014
Quote:

Agreed.
Stressless Steve 12:10 AM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:

Agreed.
Gu3d3s 2:20 PM - 24 June, 2014
Martin C

Serato team, listen and make our requests for DDJ-SX

;)
MKEnts 2:44 PM - 24 June, 2014
Let's have it like the SZ, so when/if we upgrade from the SX, it will be the same!

Come on admin, let's get this fixed!
Joe Fresh 2:28 AM - 11 July, 2014
Bump. Lock that needle search on the SX please.
Simon Love Carter 9:24 AM - 14 July, 2014
I agree!!!! In situation when you're not looking right at the controller it's easy to put fingers in wrong places!
Maff_c 9:58 AM - 4 August, 2014
Come on, Serato. Don't like being ignored. Not a big deal to implement, surely?
Simon Love Carter 10:13 AM - 4 August, 2014
I hit the strip during my latest gig.... wanted to press fx button, looking at the crowd and then put a finger on the strip... it was a mess I had to talk with the crowd and say that it was a machine and machines do fail sometimes....
DJ Arries 8:38 AM - 13 August, 2014
+100000000000000000
Stressless Steve 4:07 AM - 14 August, 2014
Did the SX2 get it? If it didn't they really aren't listening to us anymore.
Gu3d3s 3:43 PM - 14 August, 2014
Hi,

Pioneer has not said anything about it yet, but seeing that the SX2 is nothing more than the SX with a firmware update, and the ADD of buttons for FLIP, hope this error is also corrected
DJ Arries 5:39 PM - 17 August, 2014
Yeah I have the DDJ-S1 and luckily my effects aren't on top of the needle search bar, but I have two times touched the strip by accident... not good at all.
Oscar Troya 8:36 PM - 31 August, 2014
We need this

+1
Mr Wilks 9:30 PM - 31 August, 2014
It's deliberately being ignored. It can be done but for some reason has not been.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:33 AM - 1 September, 2014
We are not deliberately ignoring this, we just have no new information to share with you guys.

We haven't found time to do it amongst the other things we are working on. We still think its important, but other things come up of higher priority.

If we implemented an option at some stage which was "disable needle search when track is playing" would it solve your problems? Or does it need to be disabled at all times.
Simon Love Carter 6:38 AM - 1 September, 2014
it would be perfect!
DJ Arries 6:57 AM - 1 September, 2014
Quote:
We are not deliberately ignoring this, we just have no new information to share with you guys.

We haven't found time to do it amongst the other things we are working on. We still think its important, but other things come up of higher priority.

If we implemented an option at some stage which was "disable needle search when track is playing" would it solve your problems? Or does it need to be disabled at all times.

Yes that would work great! Though it's nice being able to browse through a track while pre-listening with the needle search, so then we would first need to pause the track to "search" through it? but that is atleast way better then skipping to another part of a live playing track!!

Just a thought, how impossible is it to have the needle search function work the same way as on the CDJ's where you can search through a playing track while pressing down on the platter?

Thanks for the feedback Serato!
acemc 7:02 AM - 1 September, 2014
Quote:
"disable needle search when track is playing"

That's exactly what we want - same as cdj's.
dizzyrocks2001 7:22 AM - 1 September, 2014
To be quite honest I could do without using the strip search because on the NS7 II you can hold down the shift button and moving the platter scrolls very quickly through the track. In fact I find using the platter more accurate because sometimes with the strip search you get to the spot you want but when you release your finger the playhead jumps a bit.
Mr Wilks 9:48 AM - 1 September, 2014
Quote:

Well to be honest I thought it was something Pioneer could have done in firmware as shift + touchstrip but they haven't issued anything new since the mic update.
They use firmware to control the cue/loop mode IIRC in the SR and could work this in.

I thought it was Pioneer that was ignoring us now we have the SX2 about to launch and any improvements to the original are non-existent now.
Oscar Troya 2:37 PM - 1 September, 2014
Martin C, it doesn't have to be disabled at all times, the way a cdj works with the needle search already is how I think it should be implemented in SDJ.

If I want to search while pre listening a track, I'll just stop the platter and touch the needle search.

Thanks for listening!
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:51 AM - 3 September, 2014
DJ Arries,

Quote:
Just a thought, how impossible is it to have the needle search function work the same way as on the CDJ's where you can search through a playing track while pressing down on the platter?

Its a nice idea, but my only issue with that would be we'd find some controllers could do that and perhaps some others couldn't, then there wouldn't be a consistent way across all controllers for this feature. Its worth looking into though - there was the suggestion earlier in this discussion that will solve your problem easier though, hold SHIFT when using needle search.

So we have 3 options to choose from I think

- Disable needle search when track is playing
- Needle search requires shift to be held
- Needle Search requires platter to be pressed

Additionally, which ever one we choose, it should be an option to enable/disable this behaviour as there will still be users that don't mind it as is and want instant access to it always.
DJ Arries 7:39 AM - 3 September, 2014
Hi Martin,

Thank you for the response.

I understand what you mean with keeping functions consistent across all controllers.

Out of those 3 options I would choose the:

- "Disable needle search when track is playing"
and
- "Needle Search requires platter to be pressed" (although it might not be possible)

I sometimes use the quick looping function when pressing Shift and using the needle strip.

Anyway, I also agree some users might not like this so should then have a disable option in the preferences somewhere.

Thanks again for the swift response!
Arries
Simon Love Carter 11:23 AM - 3 September, 2014
- "Disable needle search when track is playing"
and
- "Needle Search requires platter to be pressed" (although it might not be possible)

It should be fine!
Gu3d3s 12:43 PM - 3 September, 2014
Hi guys,

I think, the best way is: press SHIFT for Needle search works.
Stressless Steve 1:35 PM - 3 September, 2014
Quote:

This! Please do it. You know what? Make us pay 10$ for it, I would. Then it will be worth your time as well.
Oscar Troya 2:11 PM - 3 September, 2014
Last night I used Scratch Live with CDJs using HID, it's perfect, all buttons and functions are there.

Needle search lock is there (touching the platter and pausing the track), and also the "loop out adjust" works like it's supposed to (in SDJ I have to press the button again after I edit the loop out marker to be able to exit the loop).

Also, whenever I "manually" loop in SSL it auto quantizes the loop, Is there a way to do this in SDJ?. Is it possible to keep the same functionality as Scratch Live?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get used to SDJ as fast as I can.
DJ Compiler 11:27 PM - 3 September, 2014
@Oscar
If you need the loop quantized why not just use auto loop?
Oscar Troya 1:37 AM - 4 September, 2014
I like to create loops on the fly using cdjs, I don't like to use the mouse or keyboard at all. As far as I know only the reeloop function is quantized.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:27 AM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
Also, whenever I "manually" loop in SSL it auto quantizes the loop, Is there a way to do this in SDJ?. Is it possible to keep the same functionality as Scratch Live?

There shouldn't be any difference in behaviour in regards to manual loops here. Can you record a screen capture/video of the difference in behaviour you are seeing? If you have Quicktime its really easy to do a screen capture - otherwise using your mobile phone or something perhaps?
Oscar Troya 2:31 AM - 4 September, 2014
I'll record the video tomorrow, thanks Martin!
DJ Compiler 2:39 AM - 4 September, 2014
My bad. I'm not familiar with CDJs as I primarily use a controller but I'm assuming that there aren't any auto loop controls on them if I'm understanding you right?
westbeach 6:24 PM - 7 September, 2014
+1

Shift + needle search seems logical to me as shift+jog does the same function.

Sweep effects would be nice without shift
MKEnts 8:07 PM - 14 September, 2014

Additionally, which ever one we choose, it should be an option to enable/disable this behaviour as there will still be users that don't mind it as is and want instant access to it always.

Can we keep the Needle search function the same as the CDJ's so those that use CDJ's & controllers can"t get them mixed up please Martin! Platter to be pressed & then it will enable needle search!

Huge thanks

MK
MKEnts 8:10 PM - 14 September, 2014
sorry, messed up on last post for some reason!

This is what was meant -

Quote:

Can we keep the Needle search function the same as the CDJ's so those that use CDJ's & controllers can"t get them mixed up please Martin! Platter to be pressed & then it will enable needle search!

Huge thanks

MK
DJ Arries 8:14 PM - 14 September, 2014
^^ Agree with MK :)
Mr Wilks 10:06 PM - 14 September, 2014
I'd like to see it implemented like it is on other controllers like the SZ.

I would like to see greater consistency between controllers so we all play by the same rules. When swapping between controllers it's annoying if things are different and it's the same manufacturer.

I'don't only ever hit the strip search once while playing at home... until last night. It was totally user error as I was looking at the screen and my finger grabbed the wrong bit trashing the track.

I should have been looking so I'm not blaming anyone but myself bit feel we could do with a little more protection here. We have the "lock playing deck" option for the exact same reason sof think this could live alongside it.

"Lock touch strip" is the best method.
DJHessler 11:56 AM - 29 September, 2014
IMO this is a bug and should have been fixed in Serato DJ 1.1
Needlesearch should be dissavbled when pushing play!
Just as when playing a CD or using Recordbox no other obstinate functions Plese!

I think it is not good enough that this has not been fixed a long timae ago!
Marqs 5:33 AM - 12 October, 2014
This is from the DDJ-SX2 operation manual (while in "utilities mode"):

Restricting operation of the [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad

To prevent incorrect operation during playback, you can restrict operation of the [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad.
While restricted, search operation using the [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad can be performed only when you are touching the top of the jog dial or playback is stopped. By default, operation of the [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad is not restricted.

Press the [CENSOR] button on the left deck.
[CENSOR] button lit: [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad operation restricted
[CENSOR] button off: [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad operation not restricted

Will receive the controller in about a week and can test, but from the manual, it looks like the accidental needle search problem is taken care of on this unit.
Mr Wilks 7:19 AM - 12 October, 2014
Yeah. It's a shame Pioneer couldn't help out the original owners and fix this iv the first one.

I've only caught it twice until lady night.

Yes I should have been looking where I was putting my fingers but I was in the heat of the moment and they wandered to the FX to grab and twist bit I fell short.

I think we should make some noise over in the Pio fortuna to get it put into settings.
Mr Wilks 7:21 AM - 12 October, 2014
Yeah. It's a shame Pioneer couldn't help out the original owners and fix this iv the first one.

I've only caught it twice until last night.

Yes I should have been looking where I was putting my fingers but I was in the heat of the moment and they wandered to the FX to grab and twist bit I fell short.

I think we should make some noise over in the Pio fortuna to get it put into settings.
Dan Carr 6:34 PM - 27 October, 2014
Quote:

To prevent incorrect operation during playback, you can restrict operation of the [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad.
While restricted, search operation using the [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad can be performed only when you are touching the top of the jog dial or playback is stopped. By default, operation of the [NEEDLE SEARCH] pad is not restricted.

Will receive the controller in about a week and can test, but from the manual, it looks like the accidental needle search problem is taken care of on this unit.

Just checked Marqs suggestion and it doesn't seem to work for the DDJSX, interested to know if it works for the SX2? Marqs did you have any joy?

If it's been worked into a new model I would be pretty annoyed that the SX has been overlooked. This is a ridiculous situation to begin with, I've tracked the issue since i bought my DDJSX over a year ago and I really expected a fix by now.

Any updates?
DJ Arries 6:58 PM - 27 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Just checked Marqs suggestion and it doesn't seem to work for the DDJSX, interested to know if it works for the SX2? Marqs did you have any joy?

If it's been worked into a new model I would be pretty annoyed that the SX has been overlooked. This is a ridiculous situation to begin with, I've tracked the issue since i bought my DDJSX over a year ago and I really expected a fix by now.

Any updates?

Infact this situation started with the DDJ-S1 that I currently own, and this was launched in 2010/2011??!!

4 Years later and no improvement/response or updates from Serato?!

Os is this a fault on Pioneer's side?

Please give us feedback Serato....
Marqs 8:19 PM - 27 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Any updates?

Yes, I can confirm.

Unfortunately regarding SX owners, on the SX2 needle search can be disabled in utilities setup mode. After disabling, it works only when touching jog wheel at the same time with needle search.

So Pioneer forgot about SX users... :(
Mr Wilks 10:22 PM - 27 October, 2014
I think it's a Pioneer thing as it's done in the firmware utility setup but I'm sure Serato could build it into the software.

By rights, they shouldn't have to go around fixing Pioneers mistakes but we'll probably never see a new firmware for the original SX so just have to hope Serato throw us a rope.
DJHessler 5:27 AM - 28 October, 2014
On the CDJ2000 Nexus it is not a Pioneer issue as the needle search is locked when
using Rekordbox but not in Serato DJ. It is a bug in the HID coding from Serato !!
Mr Wilks 1:49 PM - 28 October, 2014
Quote:
On the CDJ2000 Nexus it is not a Pioneer issue as the needle search is locked when
using Rekordbox but not in Serato DJ. It is a bug in the HID coding from Serato !!

I don't think it's a bug as such. I think the code isn't written in SDJ to handle it. It doesn't exist. It's only a bug if the code is there and misbehaves.

The touchstrip lock is in the SX2 and SZ which means it's firmware as the code doesn't exist in SDJ or it would be in the 2000 Nexus and other touchstrip controllers. Pioneer have chosen not to update for us so we'll have to ask Serato nicely to incorporate it.

Pioneer add little things into firmware on different models that they could add for other controllers but choose not too. The cues + loops hot cue function of the SR is one such firmware.

The utility menu is where you change the controller firmware settings (like a bios on a computer). This doesn't reflect on Serato DJ as the settings can also applied to other software in MIDI mode when adjusting these settings.
Dan Carr 2:17 PM - 28 October, 2014
Quote:

"Unfortunately regarding SX owners, on the SX2 needle search can be disabled in utilities setup mode. After disabling, it works only when touching jog wheel at the same time with needle search.

Hi Marc C / Serato,

Any reply on this from Serato? Its been addressed for the SX2 so why not the SX?
Are we being forced to move to new hardware just to fix this issue?

I don't want to hold onto the SX if its not going to be fixed.

I have been a big fan of both Pioneer and Serato but this issue leaves me feeling like priorities are not on the customer and my money might be best spent elsewhere.

I don't believe there is no explanation, we are clearly being fobbed off here...
Dan Carr 2:53 PM - 28 October, 2014
I just had a look around the Pioneer DJ forum and it seems the issue is being ignored there!
Dan Carr 3:08 PM - 28 October, 2014
PS: thanks Marqs for getting back!
Mr Wilks 3:16 PM - 28 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
"Unfortunately regarding SX owners, on the SX2 needle search can be disabled in utilities setup mode. After disabling, it works only when touching jog wheel at the same time with needle search.

Hi Marc C / Serato,

Any reply on this from Serato? Its been addressed for the SX2 so why not the SX?
Are we being forced to move to new hardware just to fix this issue?

I don't want to hold onto the SX if its not going to be fixed.

I have been a big fan of both Pioneer and Serato but this issue leaves me feeling like priorities are not on the customer and my money might be best spent elsewhere.

I don't believe there is no explanation, we are clearly being fobbed off here...

Pioneer don't care for updating old controllers.

An SX 2 is your only option unless Serato implement a band-aid for Pioneers failings.

Your post quotes the utility setup inside the controller. Pioneer need to update this unless Serato help out by putting it in the software but can't imagine it's high on their list as it's now old tech.

Pioneer should upgrade the utility menu. This menu fires up before Serato even connects and is also set here if you use Traktor/VDJ etc with the SX.

So... Serato could bu a fix in all of the controllers thst disables the touchstrip during playback and "pause" has to be pressed before it works. This could work on the NS7/V7/Twitch/SX etc

As said... firmware is the issue here not software.
Dan Carr 3:53 PM - 28 October, 2014
In that case Mr Wilks we all need to move our attention to the Pioneer forums as it doesn't seem to be getting enough attention...

pioneerdj.zendesk.com{post.id}
Mr Wilks 4:17 PM - 28 October, 2014
Quote:
In that case Mr Wilks we all need to move our attention to the Pioneer forums as it doesn't seem to be getting enough attention...

pioneerdj.zendesk.com{post.id}

I agree but it gets ignored there too. The sad thing is I think until Serato bring out a touchstrip deactivate feature that deactivates all touchstrips while the unit is engaged in a forwards "play" motion we are stuck with it.

I think Serato will build it in eventually. I just think it's not at the top of the list. It's a few years old now and we have the SX2 which has all the bells and whistles we asked for after the release of the SX1.

I remember Pioneer having a survey on their website requesting info on features you'd like to see in return for sample packs. It's just a shame they created a new product and didn't update the original with firmware.
A lock on the strips could have gone into the utility menu on the SX1 but I suppose it narrows down the feature list in the SX2 a little so keep the SX1 with its little niggles making the upgrade more worthwhile. They do tis with their CDJs too (oh hello Nexus!).

I think Serato are out the only hope now. I have only ever hit it twice but for me that was twice too many times (once was live!).
Dan Carr 5:29 PM - 28 October, 2014
[Quote] A lock on the strips could have gone into the utility menu on the SX1 but I suppose it narrows down the feature list in the SX2 a little so keep the SX1 with its little niggles making the upgrade more worthwhile. They do tis with their CDJs too (oh hello Nexus!).

I think Serato are out the only hope now. I have only ever hit it twice but for me that was twice too many times (once was live!).

The DDJSX isn't out long enough for Pioneer to expect us to go out and buy a new version!! Not even 2 years old or am I wrong? (announced in Oct 2012 and it was hard enough to get stock for months in Ireland)

I think at this stage it would be good to hear either party confirm if it can be done or not so the issue is put to bed.

I've only hit the strip by accident a couple of times thankfully but as you say once is enough, I don't want to have to think about it when mixing!
DJ Arries 7:04 AM - 29 October, 2014
pleeeeeeaaaassseeeee Serato :)
I know the DDJ-S1 is discontinued but there are a lot of us stil running the S1.

Regards,
Arries
DJHessler 7:42 AM - 29 October, 2014
I don't think it's a bug as such. I think the code isn't written in SDJ to handle it. It doesn't exist. It's only a bug if the code is there and misbehaves.

The touchstrip lock is in the SX2 and SZ which means it's firmware as the code doesn't exist in SDJ or it would be in the 2000 Nexus and other touchstrip controllers. Pioneer have chosen not to update for us so we'll have to ask Serato nicely to incorporate it.

Pioneer add little things into firmware on different models that they could add for other controllers but choose not too. The cues + loops hot cue function of the SR is one such firmware.

The utility menu is where you change the controller firmware settings (like a bios on a computer). This doesn't reflect on Serato DJ as the settings can also applied to other software in MIDI mode when adjusting these settings.

IMHO a code not written in a program is a BUG!
So for me it is one of over 10 bugs that has been in Serato DJ when using it with Pioneer CDJ2000NXS + DJM900SRT and all those bugs together makes Serato DJ totally wothless for me! So I have to use Traktor in meanwhile until Serato listen and do something....
A few bugs and things has been fixed but far from all so as it is now it is not a pro DJ software in my world!!
Mr Wilks 1:44 PM - 29 October, 2014
Quote:
IMHO a code not written in a program is a BUG!
So for me it is one of over 10 bugs that has been in Serato DJ when using it with Pioneer CDJ2000NXS + DJM900SRT and all those bugs together makes Serato DJ totally wothless for me! So I have to use Traktor in meanwhile until Serato listen and do something....
A few bugs and things has been fixed but far from all so as it is now it is not a pro DJ software in my world!!

It's not a bug as the feature doesn't exist. Serato doesn't have a touchstrip lock so it's a missing feature, not a bug.
A bug is a feature that is already in the software but doesn't work correctly but as we are requesting the feature to be added, it can't be a bug.

I do think we will see this feature one day but as more controllers are shipping with their own locks built in, it could push the older controllers down the urgency list.

Are the features that are not working properly on the NXS players bugs or missing features you think it needs?
I didn't have many issues with the 2000s/900s/850s all summer but admittedly they wasn't the Nexus ones. One or two bugs I found but was squashed during the Sumner.
DJHessler 5:55 AM - 30 October, 2014
Some of the other functions that does not work:

Manual loop erratic behavior when mooving starpoint endpoint and when exiting and then re enter.

Display in middle jumps in small movements/not smooth

Delays when scratching using x-fader on fast movememnts

There are more but there three are the ones I remember right now
Dan Carr 12:00 PM - 30 October, 2014
Quote:
Some of the other functions that does not work:

Manual loop erratic behavior when mooving starpoint endpoint and when exiting and then re enter.

Display in middle jumps in small movements/not smooth

Delays when scratching using x-fader on fast movememnts

There are more but there three are the ones I remember right now

DJ Hessler, read the title.... 'Needle Search Needs a Lock or Ability to Disable'

Create a new thread for other issues please as your diluting the topic!
westbeach 9:29 PM - 31 October, 2014
Does it disable when pitch bending on the sx2? I often catch the strip-search pitch bending on my sx

It would be much better if you had to press shift to use the strip-search
espo 7:19 PM - 10 November, 2014
+1 for this, absolute nightmare when it happens mid mix
Mr Wilks 7:59 PM - 10 November, 2014
Saturday night I caught the touchstrip mid - mix when reaching for FX slot two. Three times live now.

I ruined the mix but also skipped the track 25% in.

I looked a total douche.
hally_b18 1:39 PM - 11 November, 2014
+1
Dragotix 3:15 PM - 11 November, 2014
+1
DJ Arries 9:14 AM - 17 November, 2014
Guys I just played around on Itch with my DDJ-S1 and it does what we want perfectly!

When a track is playing and you touch the needle strip a notification flashes on the bottom of the screen stating that you must "pause to use the needle strip" or something.

Can you guys with the DDJ-SX test it in Itch to see if it acts the same? Maybe Serato could then implement that exactly the way it is into SDJ to cure all above problems?

Don't know how viable it is though
Mr Wilks 12:46 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Guys I just played around on Itch with my DDJ-S1 and it does what we want perfectly!

When a track is playing and you touch the needle strip a notification flashes on the bottom of the screen stating that you must "pause to use the needle strip" or something.

Can you guys with the DDJ-SX test it in Itch to see if it acts the same? Maybe Serato could then implement that exactly the way it is into SDJ to cure all above problems?

Unfortunately the SX doesn't play nice with Itch which is a PITA.

I can't believe this wasn't a feature in SDJ or in the firmware utility menu of the SX.

I have asked over on another thread to see if we can have it added and there is a possibility we could. The touchstrips are deactivated whilst playing for certain Numark equipment and I asked if we can all have this option. They are evaluating it now.
Quote:

I can't believe this wasn't a feature in SDJ or in the firmware utility menu of the SX.

I have asked over in another thread to see if we can have it added and there is a possibility we could. The touchstrips are deactivated whilst playing for certain Numark equipment and I asked if we can all have this option. They are evaluating it now.
Quote:

I have asked over in another thread to see if we can have it added and there is a possibility we could. The touchstrips are deactivated whilst playing for certain Numark equipment and I asked if we can all have this option. They are evaluating it now.
Mr Wilks 12:48 PM - 17 November, 2014
Wow. Not sure what happened there???
acemc 8:57 PM - 17 November, 2014
This can be solved very easily by Serato with a mere change of the mapping.
Just make needle search unusable without a shift press - problem solved!
Obviously Serato could make this operate exactly like a cdj
"IF" they wanted or had the time to (not too sure which it is).
Apart from giving the user the freedom of choosing his/her preference in the utility settings,
I see absolutely no reason why this would need to be done via firmware.
Change the mapping already - it really is that easy!!
Mr Wilks 9:21 PM - 17 November, 2014
I have confidence it will come at some point.
DJ Arries 9:10 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
This can be solved very easily by Serato with a mere change of the mapping.
Just make needle search unusable without a shift press - problem solved!
Obviously Serato could make this operate exactly like a cdj
"IF" they wanted or had the time to (not too sure which it is).
Apart from giving the user the freedom of choosing his/her preference in the utility settings,
I see absolutely no reason why this would need to be done via firmware.
Change the mapping already - it really is that easy!!

agreed! Press shift to use needle search!!
acemc 2:17 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
at some point.

Let's hope it's at a point when we still own / use this controller.
It's been almost 2yrs of asking already.
Mr Wilks 3:10 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
at some point.

Yeah. I hope so too.

The progress made is that they have implemented it for the Numark V7/NS7 etc as there is an issue with the touchstrip and rogue midi signals. The solution is to deactivate the touchstrip while play is engaged.

We are 99.9% there already.

So now we just need to convince Serato to not put it as an option exclusively for Numark controllers with touchstrips and open it up to all brands via a menu option.

I asked last month and the answer was that there was no reason why this couldn't be extended to other controllers.

Here: serato.com

So drum up support to get this implemented for all controllers.
Mr Wilks 3:11 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
at some point.

Yeah. I hope so too.

The progress made is that they have implemented it for the Numark V7/NS7 etc as there is an issue with the touchstrip and rogue midi signals. The solution is to deactivate the touchstrip while play is engaged.

So now we just need to convince Serato to not put it as an option exclusively for Numark controllers with touchstrips and open it up to all brands via a menu option.

I asked last month and the answer was that there was no reason why this couldn't be extended to other controllers.

Here: serato.com

So let's drum up support to get this implemented for all controllers.
Mr Wilks 3:13 PM - 18 November, 2014
I do think there is a bug with Chrome and Serato's website.

That's twice I've posted like that on two different machines!
acemc 3:17 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
I do think there is a bug with Chrome and Serato's website.

Lol - I think you're making sure you getting your point across!
DJ Arries 5:22 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:

Yes because Itch can lock the touchstrip on my DDJ-S1 I know it is possible!!

Serato?! you there?
deejdave 2:27 AM - 21 November, 2014
Spoiler alert - we may very well have a 'Lock Needle Search during Playback' software feature soon ;)

FROM SERATO!!

serato.com
Mr Wilks 2:29 AM - 21 November, 2014
Update:

It's not concrete yet but it's looking more like a reality after Logan just posted this in the AMX/AFX DJ Techtools thread.

Quote:
Spoiler alert - we may very well have a 'Lock Needle Search during Playback' software feature soon ;)
Mr Wilks 2:33 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:

FROM SERATO!!

serato.com

Hahaha!
deejdave 2:36 AM - 21 November, 2014
Probably NOT your fault. Out of curiosity was Serato.com just completely stalling out for you for like 5 mins.?? This happens SOOOO often and it is quite annoying!!

I have 4 computers hooked up to the internet and all four can go on any site except Serato when this happens so I know it is not a problem on my end.
Mr Wilks 2:53 AM - 21 November, 2014
Quote:
Probably NOT your fault. Out of curiosity was Serato.com just completely stalling out for you for like 5 mins.?? This happens SOOOO often and it is quite annoying!!

I have 4 computers hooked up to the internet and all four can go on any site except Serato when this happens so I know it is not a problem on my end.

Yeah. I think I lost it all for about 5 minutes but thought it was my tablet so tried a few refreshes.

I think Serato need some more server space :)
deejdave 2:59 AM - 21 November, 2014
I knew it WASN'T me!! LOL. And we are across the pond from one another so this is not regional which I was curious about.
Gox 7:33 AM - 28 November, 2014
Back to virtual DJ I guess.
acemc 1:44 PM - 1 December, 2014
Quote:
Back to virtual DJ I guess.

Wow - to go to VDJ because of this?
Whozya 2:03 PM - 1 December, 2014
They do have it set up the way we want it! i own both programs and use them both for different venues.
deejdave 12:20 AM - 2 December, 2014
Quote:
They do have it set up the way we want it!

Isn't this a good thing?
Whozya 1:21 AM - 2 December, 2014
Virtual DJ is the only program to take care of this.
deejdave 1:22 AM - 2 December, 2014
Quote:

FROM SERATO!!

serato.com

Take two!!
RodrigoVolta 2:28 AM - 2 December, 2014
Yep!

DDJ-S1 not have this problem. To change to Lock Needle Search, check "lock playing deck". To use needle search, pause deck!

DDj-S1 is the FIRST Pro controller by Pioneer because have a "CDJ like" layout!!!
Maybe DDJ-SZ that cost $4,000 can be more PRO than the others DDJ members.

Serato could solve this and many other problems and quickly, but prefer the bureaucracy of that facility. Not so with Traktor or VirtualDJ that are already software in which you can change the MIDI map of any equipment, not being limited to the goodwill of the software manufacturer!

For example: I don't use my DDJ-S1 with Serato DJ because many features were simply abandoned or behave in a "nothing to do" with the equipment.

And since the first version of SDJ, nothing has been resolved about it. Many people have complained, but the Serato forces us to change equipment to enjoy all the features of the software. This no longer happens with Traktor or VDJ!!! And these software, as I said, you can completely change the MIDI map!!!

I think that lack a bit of good will on the part of the development team to meet faster feedback from users, after all, we are to pay for the equipment and do not pay cheap !!!
DJ Arries 7:59 AM - 2 December, 2014
Quote:
Yep!

DDJ-S1 not have this problem.

Hey man see you on a DDJ-S1, please check out this thread about some suggestions I have for SDJ and the DDJ-S1:

serato.com

Cheers!
Kwizzo 6:00 AM - 9 December, 2014
+1000!

I honestly can't believe this thread is like 2 years old and this has not been implemented yet!!! Far too easy to hit the Needle Search while using the platters to cue. Was MIDI LED really in such high demand? Can you guys please implement a "Hold SHIFT in order to use the Needle Search" sometime soon?! THANKS!
deejdave 6:09 AM - 9 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

FROM SERATO!!

serato.com

Take two!!

Three times a charm

The midi lighting seemed a little more requested than this yes. My guess is this applies to native Serato DJ Devices that have strip searches. The midi output light feature applies to pretty much every device not natively supported by SDJ. The good news is the output lighting out of the way is one less thing getting IN the way of adding this feature. Again I have yet to hit the strip search on accident but I have heard plenty of DJ's who have.

Agreed hopefully sooner rather than later.
Kwizzo 6:46 AM - 9 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FROM SERATO!!

serato.com

Take two!!

Three times a charm

The midi lighting seemed a little more requested than this yes. My guess is this applies to native Serato DJ Devices that have strip searches. The midi output light feature applies to pretty much every device not natively supported by SDJ. The good news is the output lighting out of the way is one less thing getting IN the way of adding this feature. Again I have yet to hit the strip search on accident but I have heard plenty of DJ's who have.

Agreed hopefully sooner rather than later.

People have been asking for this for 2 years now... enough for a whole hardware cycle (Pioneer now has the SX2 out!). Serato really couldn't have wrangled this earlier? (rhetorical question...)
deejdave 7:13 AM - 9 December, 2014
I am sure they could have. Again personally I have no need for this so while the output lighting feature may breathe new life into my X1 yet again so this is a person by person analysis I presume.

Again here's to hoping you get your support for this feature in a timely fashion from here.
acemc 10:04 PM - 10 December, 2014
If there was a way for serato to make some money off this request,
it would've been done 2 years ago already.
deejdave 12:38 AM - 11 December, 2014
Quote:
If there was a way for serato to make some money off this request,
it would've been done 2 years ago already.

I am sure there is. SOME peeps WOULD def pay for this. They just wouldn't do that is all. They HAVE gone out of their way to assure it is coming though. Things could be worse I suppose.

Are there any CORE features they have charged for out of curiosity? Pitch N Time is debatable but the rest all seem above & beyond.

DVS for cheaper devices keeping costs DOWN for those who do NOT want to use it. The SX2
adds features and cost the same as the first. OBVIOUSLY the cost for the DVS had to come from somewhere etc.

FX - Made by a third party developer (Izotope) .......................... self explanatory as SOMEONE has to foot this bill

FLIP - By NO means a core feature

Video - Has ALWAYS been a paid for app (not all it could be IMO btw) yet I have FOUR licenses and have NOT paid for a single one

Remote/Remote Mini - Follows almost an identical pricing schedule as all other DJ apps are especially with the introduction of Remote 1.2 is WELL worth the $10 I paid for it on sale.

Serato DJ (Full) Upgrade - Again the price was NOT included in total price for controller so the license fee HAS to come from somewhere.

I have all expansion packs available and I was happy to pay for them. That's just me though. I know it is quick and easy to just call me a fanboy and be done with it but I am just being honest. I respect your opinion as well though so that being said:

Just curious which ones do you feel were excessive or unnecessary and why?
acemc 1:49 AM - 15 December, 2014
Sorry dave, I think you're missing it.
What you're saying almost strengthens my point.
You are pointing out all the things that have already been implemented - WHY?
Coz it makes money!
Was Flips really more requested than this (which isn't a really feature request)?
I understand that we have been given "some form" of confirmation that this is on it's way.
But that's really just in poor taste, Serato can & certainly should give us a direct answer.
Is that too much to ask? It honestly feels like Serato is just jerking us around with this.
Quote:
Just curious which ones do you feel were excessive or unnecessary and why?

PnT (imho) should be part & parcel of the software itself. The priorities of what is implemented in updates will always be a cause for speculation, but from what I see, if it can make money it will take priority - I don't believe Serato could with good conscience charge for this - hence my statement.
deejdave 3:33 AM - 15 December, 2014
If they didn't regularly release updates and fixes I would agree. If they didn't do things on a priority (most commonly requested items) basis I would agree.

I can appreciate your angle I just don't agree is all. I remember when Itch wash the flavor and Serato made the mistake of giving future plans. Things (shit) happens and when the delivery was not made ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE> That being said them going out of their way to drop a hint of future features is nothing but appreciated.

I guess this is an agree to disagree moment. No worries.

The good news is the only part that is NOT an opinion here is the most important part. It IS coming.
Stressless Steve 6:03 PM - 7 March, 2015
I honestly don't get how Serato dropped the ball so hard on this. But what I'm wondering now; does the SX2 have a needle lock during playback? That, and that alone, would be reason for me to upgrade. Sadly, they won...
Mr Wilks 6:32 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
I honestly don't get how Serato dropped the ball so hard on this. But what I'm wondering now; does the SX2 have a needle lock during playback? That, and that alone, would be reason for me to upgrade. Sadly, they won...

Yeah, the SX2 has the needle strip search lock and it's in the firmware, along with the SZ too.

I still don't think it was Serato's call to add it. it was a firmware-level thing in Pioneer's controllers but Serato have stepped up and added it to all their controllers.

Grab the 1.7.4 beta to test and you'll find it in there.
deejdave 4:40 AM - 8 March, 2015
Quote:
Grab the 1.7.4 beta to test and you'll find it in there.

Exactly

New Features
SDJ-00372 • Disable needle search during playback option
Simon Love Carter 7:15 AM - 14 April, 2015
finally guys!
DJ Arries 1:14 PM - 14 April, 2015
Yeah although I would of liked the search strip to work when the jog was pressed or something
Stressless Steve 9:19 AM - 20 April, 2015
Can anyone confirm this is for the DDJ-SX? I'm not fond of updating my Serato DJ software (it works flawless, don't need the flip thingy, so why bother changing a winning team?) but if this is it I would be happy to do so :)
acemc 9:44 AM - 20 April, 2015
This update WILL sort the needle-search problem for DDJ-SX owners.
You'll also benefit from several feature updates over & above what you mentioned.
EQ coloured waveforms, mp3+g, Beat-Jump etc....
This is the one update you certainly do want to do.
It is perfectly stable, so don't worry. If it turns out, that isn't the case,
trash it & put the old one back ;)
deejdave 2:15 PM - 20 April, 2015
For the record there is SO much more added by 1.7.4 but that isn't really relevant as you are a little further behind than that as FLIP was added FIVE releases ago.

I would try and list what is gained but a.) there is way too much and b.) who knows how outdated your version really is.
Stressless Steve 5:48 PM - 22 April, 2015
I'm running 1.7.2. Believe me, the genre of music I generally play doesn't suit Serato Flip. Yeah I missed beatjumps since I got over from Traktor, but I value stability a lot more than features. 1.5 was horrible for me, so I'm not taking any risks anymore. But I'll be installing the new version and I'll give it a go this friday :)