Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

NEW Roland DJ-808 Controller

Chino 6:37 AM - 9 September, 2016
Let me begin by saying that YES I AM a fan of Roland. I have a MV8800 and a MC909 sitting in my studio right now. I also appreciate all the recent emphasis on stability and bug fixes with the latest SDJ releases. Now, what do I make of this latest offering from Roland and Serato? Well…At first I thought it would be Roland's answer to Pioneer's Toraiz sampler/sequencer drum machine. In a way it is but with full integration of SDJ. I had hoped it would be standalone and have more sophisticated sampling/editing functions. What I didn't expect (or really want) is ANOTHER controller?! I'm beginning to think that the controller profit margin must be great! Maybe that is the reason these companies keep force feeding us controller after controller? I'm interested to hear from other DJs and producers. Let your voices be heard...
Sounds By JB 7:07 AM - 9 September, 2016
Its seems more of a combined effort to have a light TR-8/MX-1 combined with a high quality controller. Its fun, but no reason to buy if you have a great controller and the aira range of products already.

I just want one thing from Serato, the ability to send midi clock to a random connected midi device. I'll pick the rest of the boxes that I would want to bring.
tymon 7:19 AM - 9 September, 2016
I am a huge fan of Roland and this definitely looks freaking AMAZING! But just like you.. I have a fair bit of equipment already. Forking out $$ for another controller which will be superseded within 12 months is not on my to do list. I'm really curious about the boutique 909 that looks like its going to be announce later today. Hopefully there is some better integration with Serato and Roland gear that gives us the option to use our existing equipment in a modular fashion. I miss the days of "industry standard". Seems like everyones trying to cash in on the DJ/Producer scene and the market is simply getting flooded with gimmicks, not to mention stability issues. And this mixer/drum machine/controller/vocal processor looks huge.

+100000 on MIDI clock.
tymon 7:31 AM - 9 September, 2016
btw.. Not hating on this at all. It really does look amazing. But i'm finding the entire market overwhelming. Big plusses with this is the TR Drum machine + Serato FX. DVS Support. Jog wheels looks great. The vocoder section doesn't really interest me. But the rest.. looks pretty damn DOPE! I really hope there is a way to do this in a modular setup. The size of the DJ808 is probably my biggest concern. Any dimensions yet?
Rude_Movements 7:38 AM - 9 September, 2016
It's interesting but I don't see a ton of people having use for this. What serato really needs to do is get someone to manufacture a updated ddj-sr. Everyone who is into the 2 channel controller wants a refresh. A professional upgraded refresh.... You know the thong pioneer just put out for rekordbox.

I wanted an Sr refresh so bad I went and bought the ddj-rr.. To bad rekordbox sucks and I had to return it.

This new machine will be use able on the fly cause of the way Roland sequencers work. I just don't see that many working djs needing these features.
dj lashes 7:43 AM - 9 September, 2016
well am smiling big for that voice transformer ...
ill.GATES 7:48 AM - 9 September, 2016
super cool, but it looks heavy and big.

the first rule of flight club is 'carry on only'

super excited for the rest of the announcements tho!
tymon 7:56 AM - 9 September, 2016
What he said! Carry on or BUST!
Tibor_DX 11:18 AM - 9 September, 2016
Seems like a neat allrounder if you dont have anything comparable..
But if the midi-connection stays exclusive to this piece, i'm gonna be quite mad.

Midi-Clock integration +∞
maarawoe 12:14 PM - 9 September, 2016
Yet another controller.......another controller..... nothing more, nothing less.... my expectation was much higher...
blackavenger 12:24 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Yet another controller.......another controller..... nothing more, nothing less.... my expectation was much higher...

Same.
estavrou 12:49 PM - 9 September, 2016
Now Serato have proved there's a simple way of sending the midi clock information to sync tracks (/beat grid info) with external hardware, surely there must be a way to send this straight from the software?

I'd love to connect my keyboards and drum machines in this way and not be forced to route it through this controller.

Now this feature finally exists, will Serato make it available with other hardware?
tymon 12:52 PM - 9 September, 2016
OMG!! Turntable and MIXER!!

www.einfachauflegen.de

Looks like some analog gear also!
tymon 12:57 PM - 9 September, 2016
And more products up!

tfr.roland.com
dibb 1:36 PM - 9 September, 2016
That DJ-99 mixer is exactly the same as a DJ Tech DIF-2S
tymon 1:47 PM - 9 September, 2016
Yeah and the TT's are OEMs with a TR paint job. Hmmm :/

Keeping my fingers crossed for the TR-09 and TB-03
dibb 2:50 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Keeping my fingers crossed for the TR-09 and TB-03

Those actually look very nice. Now if only we could sync those to SDJ without the DJ-808.. :)
tymon 3:12 PM - 9 September, 2016
reverb.com

Looks pretty damn sweet. Gonna wait to get the official info from the big R
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:57 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:

and yet inno fader have no problems selling them faders but kick up a stink about that mixars company, very hypocritical
Joerg Thommes 4:01 PM - 9 September, 2016
I'm deeply impressed by the efforts of the industry to push more and more equipment in form of full-service controllers into the world. Is this really the right direction? As a Club-DJ, you need to work with industry standard mixers. All that I wanted was the exact Midi notes, which are send to every device, that is cool (could be Roland; could Elektron, could be Dave Smith or Moog). Please don't give us another controller, give us the freedom of choice.
BRUSS 4:23 PM - 9 September, 2016
who else thinks we will see a roland x serato mixer in the style of the DJ808 with midi out/usb hub in the near future because I know that's the kind of thing I'd love right now.
DJ Tecniq 4:53 PM - 9 September, 2016
Ugliest controller I have ever seen. Why not just come out with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles edition... How is this supposed to change the game🤔
skampy 5:39 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

and yet inno fader have no problems selling them faders but kick up a stink about that mixars company, very hypocritical

Curious about Elliot Marx' reaction indeed.
Chino 7:11 PM - 9 September, 2016
Since the Roland DJ-808 has a standalone mixer, can I trigger sounds from the drum portion/sequencer part of the controller without it being hooked up to a computer? Is there a way to save your samples or projects other than just having them in Serato's sampler?
Ugly Sounds 8:06 PM - 9 September, 2016
Can we just chop off the player part and add a Serato sound card and sell me two , please.

The controller is cool, I like it, I work at a DJ shop and I'm going to play around with it for hours, but I can't bring this to any gigs. "Hey bar backs! come over here and help hold this controller while I clear out all the Pioneer gear. "

Can we at least get a software update where I could just plug in say the Roland TR-8 to my laptop and it syncs to Serato or make a Serato Midi box .
AKIEM 8:25 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Its seems more of a combined effort to have a light TR-8/MX-1 combined with a high quality controller. Its fun, but no reason to buy if you have a great controller and the aira range of products already.

I just want one thing from Serato, the ability to send midi clock to a random connected midi device. I'll pick the rest of the boxes that I would want to bring.

serato.com
djmacklong 8:46 PM - 9 September, 2016
NOPE.
DJ Barticus 8:52 PM - 9 September, 2016
I really like how the vocoder section, for those of us that already own a Roland - VT-3 it would be nice if they could export that feature so your VT-3 can follow the key of the serato song currently playing.
Laz219 9:40 PM - 9 September, 2016
Obviously not a product that suits a lot of people and I'm sure this will just be the start of the collaboration between Serato and Roland- I'd like to see what they'd do with a high end mixer.

The 808 still interests me though, not in a - I'm going to buy one way, but I'm definitely looking forward to some performance videos when people start getting their hands on these.

The stream originally wouldn't work for me so I was just stuck reading the release notes which didn't really make it seem that interesting. When I finally got around to watching the release video though, I can see a heap of possibilities with this thing and it just plain looks fun to use.
I've still never really used controllers but when I see this in a shop, I'll definitely be stopping to play on it for a while.

I'll be interested to try scratching on it too, from the DJWORX first look/test they are apparently better than anything else out there.
djworx.com
DJ RAMOS N5 10:19 PM - 9 September, 2016
anybody else here just want new mind-blowing CDJs to have a least a tiny break from the pioneer dominance?
Ugly Sounds 10:33 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
anybody else here just want new mind-blowing CDJs to have a least a tiny break from the pioneer dominance?

Yes. If these platters are that great. Lets get some competition for the XDJ-1000's out of Roland
dedhead 11:13 PM - 9 September, 2016
You think the Aira range will plug into Serato, so like a TR8 integrating functions to pads like on the DJ909..
I've got DJMS9 and would love to use a sequencer inside Serato DJ .
Or you think they'll sell a new Maschine like hardware/software thingy... The launch video interview talked about new collaborations in the future.
stratoferris 3:50 AM - 10 September, 2016
Serato hyped this up...but fell flat on its face! It is a Roland controller with Serato input. Just like with Pioneer,Numark,Denon and Vestax. They all have Serato engineers work with them. The big deal here is Roland wants in on the DJ game and the only player to go to is Serato. Pioneer is dominating on all fronts and now creeping into Roland territory with their sampler. NI are not playing nice with anyone. People will migrate to Traktor if the new 909 and 303 can't sync midi clock to Serato without the 808 controller. If they want change the game they should have created an updated groove box with direct sampling capability. There is still no midi clock in sight....someone needs to make an affordable hardware audio to midi clock. They stopped making that red box which is shame. The new A&H PX5 has midi clock sync but is not even close to my DB4. And like people have said we don't need anymore complete controllers. Hopefully if it hold true Denon is coming out with a new player next year and of coarse we will still be waiting for midi clock! They just proved they can send out midi clock ..maybe we will have to rent it like you do with the FX?
dj jamalot 4:23 AM - 10 September, 2016
Quote:
well am smiling big for that voice transformer ...

tons of those out there already...
DJPatrick 8:43 AM - 10 September, 2016
I'd rather have DDJSX2 because it's also compatible with Rekord Box. I'm just a DJ (well a turntablist) that uses Serato DJ primarily. I feel the price for this Roland may be steep. It looks pretty. But, it has a ton of features that I'll never use. I think I may just stick with the DDJSX2. But we all know Pioneer and Serato probably won't be making another controller together again, due to Pioneer moving the Rekord Box direction.
The Human Error 10:25 AM - 10 September, 2016
I dont know what to say really. Strange times we are living in. 909 turntable wtf?
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:09 AM - 10 September, 2016
£1239 in the UK.

Sx2 £759

Mcx8000 £949
djtripp 12:39 AM - 11 September, 2016
This is amazing!

The Aira link connections are perfect for adding gear for live remixes. You have your decks to play acapellas, the main pads act as drum pads as well.

It will sync midi to any outboard gear. Plus having a sequencer that will trigger the Serato sampler finally makes that sampler usable.

My biggest gripe is that Serato video still has no love from the controllers as far as dedicated video modes. No way to switch video effects or transitions and it just feels like video is being cast aside.

When Pioneers Rekordbox all in one controller does video better than Serato we are in trouble.
938MyDJ 9:22 AM - 11 September, 2016
I'm quite surprised that we haven't heard from any "mirror layout haters"yet about this controller...
ajherkert 10:41 AM - 11 September, 2016
CAN
NOT
WAIT

Anyone have any insight as to when these things will ship ?

This is ideal as I just sold TR-8 and TB-3

already using control vinyl on two Technic 1200's thru a Rane board

this is just gonna fit like a fucking glove in conjunction with my MX-1 ... to be running my Bass (externally mic'd via SHURE M57 thru a loud 15watt tube , even mic'ing my Sax player, Guitar, and using the DJ808 with all the things...just has me giddy!
electro elvis 10:50 AM - 11 September, 2016
My question is whether the drum machine patterns can be saved/linked with each track (like you can with videos)?
Being able to preprogram beats/choose suitable sounds/effects/etc for each song in a set would be a really cool function.
I love the whole concept, but have a problem with the size of the unit for gigging.
I'd have preffered an accessory ike the pioneer sp1.
blackavenger 6:40 PM - 11 September, 2016
Now that I've seen this demonstration, I've changed my mind.....this thing is bad ass!!!

youtu.be
tymon 7:17 PM - 11 September, 2016
It does look pretty dope. But the size!! Syncing with the TB03 is damn sick!
popnwave 7:22 PM - 11 September, 2016
Quote:
Now that I've seen this demonstration, I've changed my mind.....this thing is bad ass!!!

youtu.be

That's a much better intro video than most of the others I've seen.

This unit isn't for me, but for the people hating on it - just because you don't have a use for it doesn't mean it sucks. Stop being crotchety old asshats for once and..let..other..people..enjoy..things.
tymon 7:30 PM - 11 September, 2016
From a production perspective: How many amazing hip hop tracks where produced sampling old records and layered with a drum machine. Not just hip hop.. This thing really looks freakin awesome and fun to use and you could really get some nice things out of it. If I didn't own so many controllers (5) I'd jump on this.
AKIEM 8:11 PM - 11 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

That's a much better intro video than most of the others I've seen.

This unit isn't for me, but for the people hating on it - just because you don't have a use for it doesn't mean it sucks. Stop being crotchety old asshats for once and..let..other..people..enjoy..things.

I think its that it was hyped as "revolutionary" and doesn't solve ten year old wants/needs these two companies are perfect for offering.
dibb 8:39 PM - 11 September, 2016
Quote:

youtu.be

Good vid indeed. I must admit that the more I see this thing in action, the more I'm starting to like it.. :)
akakak 10:27 PM - 11 September, 2016
Quote:
I'm quite surprised that we haven't heard from any "mirror layout haters"yet about this controller...

Hate the mirror layout. :)
dj shon g 12:04 PM - 12 September, 2016
release date?
ceedogg13 7:33 PM - 12 September, 2016
id like to see another motorized controller to compete with numark , made by technic . controller that look like the 12s
Chino 6:02 AM - 13 September, 2016
This Roland DJ-808 is peaking my interest again. At first I thought I didn't want or need another controller BUT I just may make room for it in my studio. The standalone mixer allows it to be used WITHOUT a computer/SDJ connected! This is HUGE!! I can play drums on the fly and/or play along side SDJ all at the same time. If the platters truly are "the lowest latency platters on the market" then the DJ-808 is definitely a controller I may purchase. Hopefully Guitar Center or Sam Ashe will get it in stock so I can demo it.

I just dusted off the Roland MC909 which reminded me of how much fun it is to play on Roland gear!!
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:02 PM - 13 September, 2016
It looks like a great controller for what it was designed for. Fortunately for me I have no interest in producing or remixing.

Wonder if beats made can be saved to a track in Serato. Eg if one makes a redeem for a track, so next time you load the track it automatically loads the drums too.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:02 PM - 13 September, 2016
Eg if one makes a redrum for a track....

Come on #Serato, why can't we edit posts?
John Calipari 6:41 PM - 13 September, 2016
Quote:
id like to see another motorized controller to compete with numark , made by technic . controller that look like the 12s

Did you see the price of Panasonic's newest Technics 1200's?

If they made a Motorized Dual Platter controller, the thing would cost $10K.
AKIEM 6:50 PM - 13 September, 2016
Can you record into the Sampler?
Big Pops 1:22 AM - 14 September, 2016
It all coming together now, new beta of SDJ gets Ableton Link.
Chino 2:10 AM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:

I was wondering about that too. It would be cool to be able to record live into each sample pad.
Serato, Support
Scott S 4:41 AM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:

Not at this stage (you will need to record and then drag it into the sampler), but something we have definitly considered.
Big Pops 4:55 AM - 14 September, 2016
Recording into Sampler would be Good, imaging using link with a iOS app and feed the line into a channel input on your controller and record into sampler on the fly
AKIEM 4:56 AM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Not at this stage (you will need to record and then drag it into the sampler), but something we have definitly considered.

Bringing back Live Feed would be good too...
Chino 1:25 PM - 14 September, 2016
Just some speculation here but…. I see Roland as the new "RANE" in that Serato needed a reputable hardware manufacturer since RANE was sold to inMusic & Pioneer is busy trying to take over the universe. Roland brings decades of music hardware production experience to the table. Serato's brings it's DJ software experience. It's a WIN WIN partnership! I see MANY more controllers and possibly standalone hardware devices in the near future. SMART MOVE Serato!!
djcrap 1:46 PM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

If we could record into the sampler live the possibilites would be endless with the 808 controller. Smsh just only that future could increase the sales and preorders of the 808 .

Serato and roland y'all are taking a nap and looks like you dont want our money.
Detroitbootybass 4:53 PM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:
Just some speculation here but…. I see Roland as the new "RANE" in that Serato needed a reputable hardware manufacturer since RANE was sold to inMusic & Pioneer is busy trying to take over the universe. Roland brings decades of music hardware production experience to the table. Serato's brings it's DJ software experience. It's a WIN WIN partnership! I see MANY more controllers and possibly standalone hardware devices in the near future. SMART MOVE Serato!!

Roland sub-contracts it's production/manufacturing out third parties. Case in point: The new Roland mixer is really a rebranded DJ Tech mixer... and the new Roland turntable is a Hanpin. Both models are decidedly low-end entry level crap.

Roland does design some of it's gear (but it doesn't manufacture any of it). Some of the Roland products are other company's existing designs with the Roland name slapped on. Roland is nothing like Rane was. In fact, there are no more DJ hardware companies like that left (ones that design, build, and repair all within the same facility). Yes, there are a handful of boutique one-man operations making high-end rotary mixers, but those are the outliers an not comparable to the old Rane.
AKIEM 5:01 PM - 14 September, 2016
DJ Tech mixers are also Hanpin... That Roland mixer is double rebranded. I wonder why they didn't use the higher end Hanpin deck for the 808 deck. eh
popnwave 6:38 PM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:

Serato and roland y'all are taking a nap and looks like you dont want our money.

Damn man... first product release and there's already some dude bitching about what hasn't been done. Can't win these days..
djcrap 10:41 PM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Damn man... first product release and there's already some dude bitching about what hasn't been done. Can't win these days..

And people like you who sugar quote every thing for serato and come defend them in hopes you will be invited to betas because you think your an insider. are the reason serato is product team is adding features on controllers or sdj that the majority wont be able to use.

In otherwords missing the entire market out there.
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:53 PM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:
are the reason serato is product team is adding features on controllers or sdj that the majority wont be able to use.

What features would you like to see djcrap?
akakak 2:13 PM - 15 September, 2016
I'm not going to sugar quote it - I can't take someone called "djcrap" seriously.
DJ Tecniq 2:24 PM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
I'm not going to sugar quote it - I can't take someone called "djcrap" seriously.
lmfao😂
djcrap 4:07 PM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
are the reason serato is product team is adding features on controllers or sdj that the majority wont be able to use.

What features would you like to see djcrap?

1.What is with the controller platters that less than 7 inchs like my 5 year old niece is the one going to scratch on them. You mean to tell me serato cant start a new industry standard by pitching to their hardware partners to manufature some controllers with 9 inch platters and above.

2. How about features like serato is own video player/ video playback plugin for serato video on pcs instead of letting us consumers of svdj deal with headaches of making quicktime (which was discontinued by apple) and direct show work. Come on serato video has been around for 9 years and still the company cant code a simple universal video player to work with serato video.

3. As others in this thread have said, Being able to record into the sdj sampler! Just like a mini sdj sofware based 16 or 32 bar sequencer where i can record live and keep on adding on sounds from either sdj or the new roland 808.

I know all these ideas or request belong in the feature request thread because thats wherethe product team hangs out. but truth be told, some times its discouraging when you open a thread there and the modes dont chime in to clarify what feature you are requesting and brainstorm with them about what work flows could the user be looking for with that feature.
Thanks for listening
djcrap 4:13 PM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
lmfao😂

I forgot to add NM
I see what you did there😂😂😂😂😂nm
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:20 PM - 15 September, 2016
Thanks for the reply djcrap,
Quote:
1.What is with the controller platters that less than 7 inchs like my 5 year old niece is the one going to scratch on them. You mean to tell me serato cant start a new industry standard by pitching to their hardware partners to manufature some controllers with 9 inch platters and above.

Controllers are more purposely designed for general mixing and overall features, not really dedicated to scratching. If you are heavily into scratching you can't really go past the feeling of turntables/vinyl. Although a dedicated 'scratch' controller would be a cool idea (like Numark V7?), any controller that has 7"+ platters (like the NS7 series) usually means it will be pretty big and/or heavy. Controllers are also praised for their portability so finding the best size for the platter is important. I think the Roland DJ-808 has great size platters and you can scratch perfectly fine on them. In saying that, i'm not sure of your scratching skill and you might be best suited to using turntables.

Quote:
2. How about features like serato is own video player/ video playback plugin for serato video on pcs instead of letting us consumers of svdj deal with headaches of making quicktime (which was discontinued by apple) and direct show work. Come on serato video has been around for 9 years and still the company cant code a simple universal video player to work with serato video.

Are you talking about including extra video codecs bundled with Serato Video? Since Quicktime was discontinued this is something we have considered but no news on including these codecs right now.

Quote:
3. As others in this thread have said, Being able to record into the sdj sampler! Just like a mini sdj sofware based 16 or 32 bar sequencer where i can record live and keep on adding on sounds from either sdj or the new roland 808.

I agree - this is a cool idea and definitly something we have considered for a future Sampler update. It would bore you to go on about the technical limitations of doing this right now but you will just have to trust that features like this are definitly on our radar and have been requested from beginner to advanced DJs. We would love to maximize the usage of the Sampler as much as possible, but it will take development time :)
Ragman 12:43 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
djcrap said:

Quote:
Serato said:
Controllers are more purposely designed for general mixing and overall features, not really dedicated to scratching. If you are heavily into scratching you can't really go past the feeling of turntables/vinyl. Although a dedicated 'scratch' controller would be a cool idea (like Numark V7?), any controller that has 7"+ platters (like the NS7 series) usually means it will be pretty big and/or heavy. Controllers are also praised for their portability so finding the best size for the platter is important. I think the Roland DJ-808 has great size platters and you can scratch perfectly fine on them. In saying that, i'm not sure of your scratching skill and you might be best suited to using turntables.

I want to go on record by saying I totally disagree with you Scott S. I think this is a total misread by Serato and their hardware partners. A great number of us djs having been clamoring for a controller with an SC3900 active platter setup for years. And the Denon SC3900 technology is not heavy at all. Every DJ is not totally looking for some tiny controller with portability being the top priority. My DJ setup that I use out on gigs consist of 2 SC3900s and an S9. The heavy part of that setup is the case. InMusic has the companies with the technologies to pull this off. It's time to start thinking outside the box. To quote the movie Field of Dreams "If you build it they will come" or in this case, they will buy it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 1:32 AM - 16 September, 2016
Personally I would love for someone to make a large motorised controller platter that feels like a slightly smaller 1200 without the hassle of needles etc!
Historical data doesn't really indicate that this type of product would be super successful, but maybe it's time!
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:37 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
I want to go on record by saying I totally disagree with you Scott S.

That's totally fine! Everyone is different :)

Quote:
Every DJ is not totally looking for some tiny controller with portability being the top priority

I understand, but portability is often a very big selling point for controllers (not saying it's the only reason people want them and definitely not insinuating that EVERY DJ want's this). I also wouldn't call the DJ-808 "tiny", the Vestax Typhoon is tiny ;)

Quote:
InMusic has the companies with the technologies to pull this off. It's time to start thinking outside the box.

They totally do - I'm with Nick, I would love to see Numark revisit the V7 and do a V7mkII or even a V10!
djcrap 1:53 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:

Are you talking about including extra video codecs bundled with Serato Video? Since Quicktime was discontinued this is something we have considered but no news on including these codecs right now.

Yes i meant bundling serato video with codecs for pc users so that it is plug and play like on a mac

Quote:
Quote:
djcrap said:

Quote:
Serato said:

I want to go on record by saying I totally disagree with you Scott S. I think this is a total misread by Serato and their hardware partners. A great number of us djs having been clamoring for a controller with an SC3900 active platter setup for years. And the Denon SC3900 technology is not heavy at all. Every DJ is not totally looking for some tiny controller with portability being the top priority. My DJ setup that I use out on gigs consist of 2 SC3900s and an S9. The heavy part of that setup is the case. InMusic has the companies with the technologies to pull this off. It's time to start thinking outside the box. To quote the movie Field of Dreams "If you build it they will come" or in this case, they will buy it.

True indeed, its really a total misread by serato is product team and partners. Most djs who own or have owned turntables or cdjs like sc3900 would most likely want to own substitue like a controller with the same platter size of 9' or 12'. Foreinstance if i own pioneer cdjs wouldn't it make sense for me to keep the same feel and size of the platters by purchasing a pioneer sz. A pioneer sz is a big controller but it doesnt stop any body from buying it and right now i think its the most sucessful controller on the market. This means the market and want for a 12 inch or 9 inch controller is there

All these threads prove it

1. serato.com

2.serato.com

3.serato.com

In 2016 i dont think size and portability is a major selling factor any more like it used to be, i think in this day and age its all about platter size and how tight is the crossfader response on cuts
Serato, Support
Scott S 2:20 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
A pioneer sz is a big controller but it doesnt stop any body from buying it and right now i think its the most sucessful controller on the market. This means the market and want for a 12 inch or 9 inch controller is there

I wouldn't say it's the most sucessful controller on the market, but yes it is definitly popular by people who previously use CDJs as the platter is the same size (this was the original idea, to make a 2x CDJ and DJM size controller).

If you could sketch up an idea of what you think a controller with a 12" platter would look like I would love to see it! This sounds very interesting :)

Quote:
In 2016 i dont think size and portability is a major selling factor any more like it used to be, i think in this day and age its all about platter size and how tight is the crossfader response on cuts

Sorry I can't quite agree with this - not everyone wants to "cut" like a scratch DJ and needs big platters. Like i've mentioned before it's all personal preference and if there's something you want that's fine, but it might not be the same as what another person wants. What about the DJ who travels on a plane often and needs something for carry on? What about the DJ that doesn't require the use of platters because they prefer to use Cue Points, Beat Grids and Sync? There are lots of different preferences out there - and if you're specifically after a larger platter controller you're right - they are pretty slim picking at the moment (you pretty much only have the DDJ-SZ to consider).
AKIEM 3:43 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
If you could sketch up an idea of what you think a controller with a 12" platter would look like I would love to see it! This sounds very interesting :)

There where some threads, ten years ago.

serato.com

(Mind you this is from ten years ago)
rs79.pbsrc.com
Serato, Support
Scott S 4:06 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
rs79.pbsrc.com

Woah i've never seen that! Looks interesting - so are you guys more interested in a "single-deck" variant like the V7 as opposed to an all-in-one controller like the NS7? A 12" double-deck controller would be pretty big.. I think a single deck version would be more realistic :)
AKIEM 4:22 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
rs79.pbsrc.com

Woah i've never seen that! Looks interesting - so are you guys more interested in a "single-deck" variant like the V7 as opposed to an all-in-one controller like the NS7? A 12" double-deck controller would be pretty big.. I think a single deck version would be more realistic :)

Defenetly a single deck. I think most want to use the same mixers we have. And personally I only need one deck with instant doubles. The one turntable style I wish was recognized and designed for.

I sincerely believe there are a ton of 1200 users who would actually switch to a proper motorized platter. But it has to be done right, and it has to be supported for the long term.

DVS users arnt still carrying around turntables because we might through on some real vinyl occasionally.

I dont remember exactly why I passed on the V7.
Serato, Support
Scott S 4:23 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
I sincerely believe there are a ton of 1200 users who would actually switch to a proper motorized platter. But it has to be done right, and it has to be supported for the long term.

^ This
Big Pops 5:38 AM - 16 September, 2016
A V7 MK2 from Numark would be nice with all the Goodies now, Scott S that may be something you guys at Serato could discuss with your Numark Reps.
Ragman 6:14 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
[...]

@Scott S.
This is a quick dirty rendition of hybrid controller (NV2+SC3900+S9). I feel the sweet spot motorized platter size for a controller would be 9" like on the SC3900. 12" platter would be overkill for an all-in-one controller. The size of the mixer should be akin to a 10" battle style mixer to further reduce size. That's why I felt the S9 was a good example mixer to integrate into this controller. Pic posted below. Very crude but you get the gist.

s21.postimg.org
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:21 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
[...]

@Scott S.
This is a quick dirty rendition of hybrid controller (NV2+SC3900+S9). I feel the sweet spot motorized platter size for a controller would be 9" like on the SC3900. 12" platter would be overkill for an all-in-one controller. The size of the mixer should be akin to a 10" battle style mixer to further reduce size. That's why I felt the S9 was a good example mixer to integrate into this controller. Pic posted below. Very crude but you get the gist.

s21.postimg.org

If you decide to run with this, tell me you can clearly see THIS IS NOT A MIRRORED LAYOUT OR INVERTED.

I'm happy to trade the screens for FX knobs and bigger performance pads if it doesnt have standalone USB/ENGINE function. Or there can be a Dashboard Plus Version with USB/Engine, Touch screen and vertical wave forms
Djkom 10:56 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
rs79.pbsrc.com

Defenetly a single deck. I think most want to use the same mixers we have. And personally I only need one deck with instant doubles. The one turntable style I wish was recognized and designed for.

DVS users arnt still carrying around turntables because we might through on some real vinyl occasionally.

This is it !!! Don't underestimate the power of instant doubles, there is a lot of djs included myself who use it! Thanks to that feature we can use only one deck to have a smaller setup.

A new V7 mk2 is highly expected from djs that I know. InMusic (more likely Denon) has to drop their balls and release a player that will make all turntablists and even cdjs users agree ! They have every to make it happen:
- sc3900 platter sizes
- hid mode from V7
- dual mode (left right deck control) from V7
- standalone mode from mcx800
- screens from mxc8000
- hybrid mode from sc3900 to make it usable with other dvs software.
I can't see why event purist turntablists will not go for it !!! And this will help #realdjing to be more "up-to-date" and not old school style ...

All in one controller is too bulky, heavy and not versatile for me. A modular system that can be transformed in a all in system with smart and strong connections is the KEY !
With Rane now included in InMusic, there is no more excuses to kick Pioneer ass 😂
We are impatient, it's been almost 5 years we are waiting to a V7/sc3900 successor. And I have the feeling that the market is stone and the change has to come from users now.

This should be a dedicated thread...not the dj808 one...
John Calipari 2:13 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:

If portability isn't a factor anymore and a controller that housed 2-12" Direct Drive Platters and 4 channel mixer built well would weigh more than Rosie O'Donnell, so's here's an Idea:

Why not make Serato Enabled Mixers that can interface with any Turntable no matter the make via Serato Control Vinyl and allows not only MP3 Media playback, but also conventional records as well? All being able to be carried in 3-4 smaller cases instead of a one Coffin the weight of Buick Regal.

Does such a technology exist??
AKIEM 3:56 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
[...]

@Scott S.

s21.postimg.org

sorry, but I quit carrying a coffin back in 89.
AKIEM 4:01 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
This is it !!! Don't underestimate the power of instant doubles,

Too bad there is absolutely no development on this style and technique.

*If* developers worked on it and allowed more DJs to adopt it. IMO it is the logical future of DJing in general.
jprime 4:07 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
rs79.pbsrc.com

This makes way more sense to me. Putting 2 larger platters into a single controller seems like too much. A modular deck makes more sense to me.
popnwave 6:11 PM - 16 September, 2016
I'd be interested in a motorized controller that could used as an instant double as well, very cool idea and maybe since Denon has gotten the closest SIZE wise with the 3900s, maybe it could happen. That would be an odd looking unicorn controller.

As for djcrap - your ideas aren't bad, just stop being a dick about it.
Mr. Goodkat 8:55 PM - 16 September, 2016
one controller with 7 inch platters? or 10in? get realistic.
Djkom 9:39 PM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
one controller with 7 inch platters? or 10in? get realistic.

7 inch is a little bit tricky sometimes, 9 or 10 inches is perfect !!!

But like said the topic is dj-808 !!!
John Calipari 12:14 AM - 17 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
rs79.pbsrc.com

This is it !!! Don't underestimate the power of instant doubles, there is a lot of djs included myself who use it! Thanks to that feature we can use only one deck to have a smaller setup.

A new V7 mk2 is highly expected from djs that I know. InMusic (more likely Denon) has to drop their balls and release a player that will make all turntablists and even cdjs users agree ! They have every to make it happen:
- sc3900 platter sizes
- hid mode from V7
- dual mode (left right deck control) from V7
- standalone mode from mcx800
- screens from mxc8000
- hybrid mode from sc3900 to make it usable with other dvs software.
I can't see why event purist turntablists will not go for it !!! And this will help #realdjing to be more "up-to-date" and not old school style ...

All in one controller is too bulky, heavy and not versatile for me. A modular system that can be transformed in a all in system with smart and strong connections is the KEY !
With Rane now included in InMusic, there is no more excuses to kick Pioneer ass 😂
We are impatient, it's been almost 5 years we are waiting to a V7/sc3900 successor. And I have the feeling that the market is stone and the change has to come from users now.

This should be a dedicated thread...not the dj808 one...

+1 to this entire train of thought
kirkm 10:38 AM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
Thanks for the reply djcrap,
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree - this is a cool idea and definitly something we have considered for a future Sampler update. It would bore you to go on about the technical limitations of doing this right now but you will just have to trust that features like this are definitly on our radar and have been requested from beginner to advanced DJs. We would love to maximize the usage of the Sampler as much as possible, but it will take development time :)

I would have thought the Roland 404 would have made a more natural pairing for djs
serato sp6 now sp8 are dissapointing why not sp 16 or 64
simple things like adsr and polyphony control would be powerful in a live setting
Chino 2:43 PM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
Personally I would love for someone to make a large motorised controller platter that feels like a slightly smaller 1200 without the hassle of needles etc!

^^^An updated Denon 3900 (with improved Engine software) would work. I'd like to have the body made out of aluminum-like 1200s). Also take a look at the Technic sl dz 1200 MKII (the new mod with the records is what the original should have been!!!)

Back on topic though…. It would be nice to have SDJ updated so that the DJ-808 can sample directly to pads BEFORE the controller is released!
djcrap 9:12 PM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
[...]

@Scott S.

s21.postimg.org

Yup i would def settle for something like that....exactly what i had in mind
AKIEM 9:16 PM - 19 September, 2016
Aside from not having to plug the decks in how can a huge controller like that ne any advantage?
djcrap 9:27 PM - 19 September, 2016
@scott

[url=postimg.org][img]s10.postimg.org[/img][/url][url=postimage.org]image hosting[/url]

Ok back on topic
The more videos i see about that roland 808 in action the more exicited i cant wait to see a video of dj inferno get his hands on one and see him perform on that roland 808.
Chino 2:15 PM - 11 October, 2016
Check out this early review of the Roland DJ-808 on YouTube...

Watchwww.youtube.com
popnwave 3:10 PM - 11 October, 2016
Looks like a LOT of fun for folks who want to use those added drum tools.
DJ ANT (AKA dj Tone Arm) 4:22 PM - 11 October, 2016
Check out this video

Watchwww.youtube.com
Chino 4:58 PM - 11 October, 2016
I'm interested in testing the platters out. I want to know how they feel verse my Denon MCx8000. Roland is known for providing great MIDI equipment with extremely low latency.
AKIEM 5:07 PM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
Check out this video

Watchwww.youtube.com

youtu.be
Ragman 10:40 PM - 12 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Check out this video

Watchwww.youtube.com

youtu.be

That beat is killa ...
SG SOUNDS 12:04 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Check out this early review of the Roland DJ-808 on YouTube...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Was honestly considering the new denon controller but the Roland DJ 808 got me sold..even if you dont use the drum machine this is the best intergrated serato dj controller out to date..The sound card is 24 bit 96hz the best of all controllers pioneer,denon,numark ect...the platters have the lowest letency of all serato dj controllers out to date...then on top of that being able to remix sets on the fly with the drum machines? I AM SOLD!!
Chino 4:38 PM - 13 October, 2016
^^^ If you do buy it, then please do a review on the platters and the drum machine integration. I'm considering purchasing one but I need to first try it out in person.
938MyDJ 6:59 PM - 13 October, 2016
The 808 is a good all in one unit. But if you have controller/s that work/s with Ableton or Traktor, there's other route to get the TR-Sounds...

serato.com
deejdave 8:33 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
^^^ If you do buy it, then please do a review on the platters and the drum machine integration. I'm considering purchasing one but I need to first try it out in person.

"The wheel feels super smooth under my hands, but importantly the latency is the lowest I’ve ever experienced. We’re talking milliseconds, but you can tell. And the actual feel and emulation of vinyl is first class. I need to spend more time with one, but at this point, I’m confident of saying that the DJ-808 jog wheel is the best out there, and by some margin."

- DJ Worx djworx.com

Quote:
I'm interested in testing the platters out. I want to know how they feel verse my Denon MCx8000. Roland is known for providing great MIDI equipment with extremely low latency.

Just about every video for this controller mentions the fact they are the lowest latency platters to date and solid build so the chances of them not being better than the Denon's are slim to none................... more like none LOL.
popnwave 8:58 PM - 13 October, 2016
Good, if Roland can pull that off, the others should be able to follow.
SG SOUNDS 1:53 AM - 15 October, 2016
Just pulled the trigger on this controller today at guitar center...cant wait for tomorrow to test it out...stay tuned
DJ_Dad 7:37 PM - 15 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

"The wheel feels super smooth under my hands, but importantly the latency is the lowest I’ve ever experienced. We’re talking milliseconds, but you can tell. And the actual feel and emulation of vinyl is first class. I need to spend more time with one, but at this point, I’m confident of saying that the DJ-808 jog wheel is the best out there, and by some margin."

- DJ Worx djworx.com

Quote:

Just about every video for this controller mentions the fact they are the lowest latency platters to date and solid build so the chances of them not being better than the Denon's are slim to none................... more like none LOL.

So because Roland's marketing team claimed to have the lowest latency controller doesn't make it true. Do you believe everything you are told on the internet. I have not seen any measurement or comparison so the jury is still out. Also, I'll put Denon build quality and sound quality up against Roland any day of the week.
AKIEM 8:31 PM - 15 October, 2016
Hmmm... Never really thought about controllers having latency issues
Ragman 7:07 AM - 16 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

- DJ Worx djworx.com

Quote:

So because Roland's marketing team claimed to have the lowest latency controller doesn't make it true. Do you believe everything you are told on the internet. I have not seen any measurement or comparison so the jury is still out. Also, I'll put Denon build quality and sound quality up against Roland any day of the week.

I respect your loyalty to Denon, but I got to ask myself why would a reputable company like Roland put their credibility on the line by telling a lie about something as mundane as platter latency. I mean over the last 44 years this company have developed some awesome technology centered around music. And you're telling me they're gonna throw all that rep out the window to put out a lie about platter latency. Which, by the way, can easily be measured by a competitor thus catching them at this lie. Excuse me if I don't buy into your theory.
deejdave 12:08 PM - 16 October, 2016
I suppose IF djworx was employed by Roland you MAY have some substance............. they are not, and you don't.
DJ_Dad 1:24 PM - 16 October, 2016
Quote:
I suppose IF djworx was employed by Roland you MAY have some substance............. they are not, and you don't.

Heh, seriously bro. He read the marketing slick and then tried out the controller and thought he'll yeah, it's better. It's well known psychology that if you hear something is going to be better before using it that it will bias your opinion. I don't know about you, but the controllers I use react INSTANTLY to whatever I do on the jog wheel so I am calling bullshit that he was able to tell the difference between 8 and 10 ms. I have also heard plenty of scratch routines on both controllers and I can't hear one lick of difference between the scratch sounds. Sheep gonna sheep.
SG SOUNDS 1:30 PM - 16 October, 2016
Started playing around with the controller last night and so far I'm loving this controller...the sound quality and I'm being real here sounds almost as or even better than my rane 62..to my surprise this beast has a 32bit DAC converter built in,the rane is 24 bit...waaaay better sound than my pioneer dj sx...the platters are small but boy do they feel amazing the djworx article they was not exaggerating the platters on these feels almost like a turntable.

The layout going to take some getting use to..the cross fader has 3 curve settings and to my surprise feels really good however I will install a innofadder in the future..I didn't play around with the mike yet nor the fx section...was playing around with some soca tracks along with the drum machine and boy I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this controller playing soca tracks..

Going to play around with it more again today
deejayayup 2:24 PM - 16 October, 2016
If it was standalone like the MCX8000, I would definitely have gone for this. Unfortunately, I wanted a controller with back-up for working reasons. It's a shame because this looks like good fun.
SG SOUNDS 2:26 PM - 16 October, 2016
Quote:
If it was standalone like the MCX8000, I would definitely have gone for this. Unfortunately, I wanted a controller with back-up for working reasons. It's a shame because this looks like good fun.

what you mean standalone like mcx8000
Chino 2:49 PM - 16 October, 2016
Quote:
what you mean standalone like mcx8000[/quote

The MCx8000 can function completely standalone by using the USB Engine function. I believe this is what he meant. I see my MCx8000 as my "mobile workhorse" that has a backup standalone option in case of computer failure. The Roland DJ-808 is more for the studio for remixing, beat making etc. If Serato adds the ability to record samples live on the pads in SDJ then I can see some very creative live uses!
SG SOUNDS 2:56 PM - 16 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
what you mean standalone like mcx8000[/quote

The MCx8000 can function completely standalone by using the USB Engine function. I believe this is what he meant. I see my MCx8000 as my "mobile workhorse" that has a backup standalone option in case of computer failure. The Roland DJ-808 is more for the studio for remixing, beat making etc. If Serato adds the ability to record samples live on the pads in SDJ then I can see some very creative live uses!
[/quote

ok gotcha
deejdave 3:29 PM - 16 October, 2016
Has nobody been checking out the actual user made videos and reviews? At some point one can accept it may be more than just hype speaking. Still fair comments like design flaws and things they would change (layout etc.) but making false claims with no backing it up is not Roland's trademark. It is actually InMusics trademark move tbh. I don't see Roland going around claiming this is the best controller period. They are amphasizing on actual results it seems.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:32 PM - 16 October, 2016
It's abit like pioneer saying the s9 is the tightest latency then Rane called bullshit as Rane only ones to use some different coreaudio specs that give slightly tighter latency. But as we have seen gives more driver issues.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:55 PM - 16 October, 2016
can all the drum buttons be midi mapped to control something like mix emergency. 🙃
popnwave 3:34 PM - 17 October, 2016
Quote:
can all the drum buttons be midi mapped to control something like mix emergency. 🙃

Ooooooooooh now that would be amazing.
deejdave 7:03 PM - 17 October, 2016
Quote:

Haven't checked the manual myself yet but the remapping restrictions (if any) are usually mentioned there.
SG SOUNDS 9:59 PM - 17 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Haven't checked the manual myself yet but the remapping restrictions (if any) are usually mentioned there.

was glancing thru the manual yesterday but the drum machine section and all its functions is confusing as hell...gave me a headache...been playing around with the controller a little this weekend and kind of got everything stamped in my head..but the drum machine section i really need to sit down and read that manual carefully
PopRoXxX 4:15 PM - 20 October, 2016
Just a quick heads up for anyone interested:

The new Roland DJ-808 Controller looks dope and fun! Can't wait to try one out myself ASAP. But for the turntable and CDJ guys here, sometimes those small platters can sway your purchase. For those guys (like me) the DM1 - Drum Machine app by Fingerlab for iPad (iPhone & Mac too) will be your savior of combining the best of both worlds. Your setup you love plus the features of the new Roland DJ-808 (minus the vocal encoder feature)

$4 + Ableton Link + Serato DJ 1.9.3 = winning for everyone
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:39 PM - 20 October, 2016
Nice PopRoXxX, didn't know about that one - gonna cop it! Good price too.
Ragman 10:15 PM - 20 October, 2016
Quote:

The new Roland DJ-808 Controller looks dope and fun! Can't wait to try one out myself ASAP. But for the turntable and CDJ guys here, sometimes those small platters can sway your purchase. For those guys (like me) the DM1 - Drum Machine app by Fingerlab for iPad (iPhone & Mac too) will be your savior of combining the best of both worlds. Your setup you love plus the features of the new Roland DJ-808 (minus the vocal encoder feature)

^This ...
DJ Frank Stallone 11:35 PM - 20 October, 2016
Quote:

How do I get Link to work with iphone apps? No luck so far
J. Hand 4:48 AM - 21 October, 2016
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but iMaschine (iPad or iPhone) and Patterning (iPad only) are a couple of other nice drum machine apps to consider FWIW...
&Midge 6:52 AM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
But for the turntable and CDJ guys here, sometimes those small platters can sway your purchase.

However......... 'the DJ-808 is DVS ready, so you can use the platters of your choice along side this fantastic product!!'

(was Scott's intended response from Serato) ;)
PopRoXxX 2:11 PM - 21 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
But for the turntable and CDJ guys here, sometimes those small platters can sway your purchase.

However......... 'the DJ-808 is DVS ready, so you can use the platters of your choice along side this fantastic product!!'

(was Scott's intended response from Serato) ;)

Hahahahaha! Good one &Midge. Totally agree. I just don't prefer my TT's being 2-3 feet apart 😉
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:17 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
I just don't prefer my TT's being 2-3 feet apart

Yes I agree, If i'm using turntables I would prefer there to be a smaller, 2 channel mixer in-between and in "battle" style configuration. Sometimes using a larger 4 channel controller with DVS can feel awkward, having to lean over the setup further than usual. In saying that, with the DJ-808 I don't feel the need to use DVS ;)
PopRoXxX 3:39 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
In saying that, with the DJ-808 I don't feel the need to use DVS ;)

This sounds promising Scott S! Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to get my hands on one for some rigorous play
AKIEM 4:23 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I just don't prefer my TT's being 2-3 feet apart

Yes I agree, If i'm using turntables I would prefer there to be a smaller, 2 channel mixer in-between and in "battle" style configuration. Sometimes using a larger 4 channel controller with DVS can feel awkward, having to lean over the setup further than usual. In saying that, with the DJ-808 I don't feel the need to use DVS ;)

One Turntable + Instant Doubles FTW
PopRoXxX 4:33 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:

I hear you AKIEM for sure. But this is actually a pet peeve of mine lol
AKIEM 4:41 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

[not to hijack] but do tell!

I happen to think that DJing (aside from turntablism) should advance to a One Deck system. Thats why Im an advocate for it. I don't think it will ever happen, complete ai automation will get there first. But...
PopRoXxX 5:31 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I happen to think that DJing (aside from turntablism) should advance to a One Deck system. Thats why Im an advocate for it. I don't think it will ever happen, complete ai automation will get there first. But...

I honestly just like having two decks and using both hands. I like the feel, I like the techniques I use, I like the tricks I do, I like the options at hand, I like the versatility and ...... at the end of the day I also prefer the way it looks with the ambiance it brings to visual concept of it all.

People are so used to seeing smaller setups (controllers and such) and stripped down setups. I could be the worst jock in the world, but people just see the setup and go "damn, turntables?! you must me really good!"

smh 😂
AKIEM 6:13 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I honestly just like having two decks and using both hands. I like the feel, I like the techniques I use, I like the tricks I do, I like the options at hand, I like the versatility and ...... at the end of the day I also prefer the way it looks with the ambiance it brings to visual concept of it all.

People are so used to seeing smaller setups (controllers and such) and stripped down setups. I could be the worst jock in the world, but people just see the setup and go "damn, turntables?! you must me really good!"

smh 😂

I accept your response. And I still bring two decks quite often to various functions for those reasons.

But when it comes to controllers................................................ HA!

CDJ was the worst thing to happen to DJing, imagine if we skipped that and went straight to DVS.
PopRoXxX 9:48 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
CDJ was the worst thing to happen to DJing, imagine if we skipped that and went straight to DVS.

Oh man. You make a great point right there!
Ragman 2:48 AM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Oh man. You make a great point right there!

I gotta be honest guys. I've ditched controllers for my live gigs and have gone back to t/t's and a mixer (albeit still using SDJ/SSL). I really don't mind the weight vs. portability as the rest of my setup is still very lightweight. The quality of the session is sooooo much better IMO.

What's cool is I still bring about 25 select 12" records with me to add some spice. It's like the best of old and new. I'm frickin' lovin it.
WarpNote 7:25 AM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
Defenetly a single deck.

This, but with A, B, C & D switch....
AKIEM 2:54 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Defenetly a single deck.

This, but with A, B, C & D switch....

Boom. or more...

I just think its funny that turntable are advancing the concept while controller are perpetuating the unnecessary 'tradition'
WarpNote 8:01 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
Boom. or more

More than 4 decks in SDJ?
Not sure if I ever would need that...
Mr. Goodkat 9:22 PM - 26 October, 2016
it'd be cool if you could do 2 main decks and 8 remix decks all horizontal with the 8 decks being on a step sequencer.
AKIEM 11:28 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Boom. or more

In SDJ no... In the future. An unlimited amount of decks.

It's kinda funny to have software with built in limitations bassed on analog physical limitations. I would like to see companies design from the ground up instead.

Hardware designers too. If I ever did buy a controller it would never be one with fake strobe light dots on the platter... C'mon. Same as software with little graphics of turntables.
deejdave 11:39 PM - 26 October, 2016
There are plenty of controllers that support more decks than physically able to at one time. Most Pro Pio controllers offer four decks with only two platters. Some with only two faders/channels even. Combined with sampler (and the almost deck-like properties) I am not sure there is all that much need for more than four decks. Furthermore it is no secret that controller far surpass the tech and options of TT's and even DVS. I make no judgement on which is "better", more useful or even more desirable but scratching aside TT's do not compare to controllers capability-wise. What makes you think otherwise?

For instance is there a single thing a TT running DVS can do that the DDJ-SZ, MCX8000 or DJ-808 can't do? To be fair these controllers are far from toys.
Ragman 5:10 AM - 27 October, 2016
^I think it's more of the tactile feel many old school DJs have come from that is so appealing about t/t running DVS. Couple that with a Pioneer S9 mixer and it's all good where technology meets old school. These are basically personal preferences so not a this vs. that scenario. It's just a good time for DJs with all these choices. Nothing less nothing more. Just all good baby...
AKIEM 5:57 AM - 27 October, 2016
Quote:
There are plenty of controllers that support more decks than physically able to at one time. Most Pro Pio controllers offer four decks with only two platters. Some with only two faders/channels even. Combined with sampler (and the almost deck-like properties) I am not sure there is all that much need for more than four decks. Furthermore it is no secret that controller far surpass the tech and options of TT's and even DVS. I make no judgement on which is "better", more useful or even more desirable but scratching aside TT's do not compare to controllers capability-wise. What makes you think otherwise?

I dont think otherwise.
(But that's why I use mixers and midi devices with buttons and stuff)

Quote:

For instance is there a single thing a TT running DVS can do that the DDJ-SZ, MCX8000 or DJ-808 can't do? To be fair these controllers are far from toys.

Yes. The rotating platter.

And thats great those controllers can control four decks, that is moving in the right direction... It sucks that I my Rane mixer is limited to two decks (and sampler... sigh)

But im not talking about any of that really.
deejdave 3:19 PM - 27 October, 2016
Quote:
And thats great those controllers can control four decks, that is moving in the right direction... It sucks that I my Rane mixer is limited to two decks (and sampler... sigh)

My Rane mixer is not limited to two ;) Nah but I get that. Would be nice to have the option for all and it probably should be with midi mapping and such. If A DDJ-SB2 can handle four decks I think a Rane 62 should be able to................. to a point as I get the routing is different as well.
Quote:
Yes. The rotating platter.

Well I suppose I should have added the NS7III to this list but it was the idea I was trying to portray not specifics. If there is something you are after (and I do mean IF as I by no means want the spinning platters and if/when I do I want the real thing) it can almost always be done via controller........................... but then -
Quote:
^I think it's more of the tactile feel many old school DJs have come from that is so appealing about t/t running DVS. Couple that with a Pioneer S9 mixer and it's all good where technology meets old school. These are basically personal preferences so not a this vs. that scenario. It's just a good time for DJs with all these choices. Nothing less nothing more. Just all good baby...

I fully agree with this. I do see a point and good in CDJ's, controllers AND TT's is all I guess.

This DJ-808 is pushing the bar even further I think. While room for improvement and not addressing all users it is already sparking new ideas even within this community. Users are thinking of new ways to perform (with the help of LINK) and these ARE indeed exciting times to be a DJ.
Ragman 8:32 PM - 27 October, 2016
^Do you consider the DJ-808 a game changer? I do ...
deejdave 10:46 PM - 27 October, 2016
Game changer? Not sure. Big? indeed. Needed? indeed. Game changer? maybe not so much in its physical form but the ideas it is sparking certainly are. In this sense it sure HAS made an impact on the game already. In all fairness though I feel as I said it is LINK that is changing the game. Peeps asked up and down for the Bridge (or even mixtape) all the while something MUCH bigger, more universal, and more accessible was brewing and LINK is an answer to SOOOOO many questions.

Official answer. DJ-808 was the car that took us to the door that changed the game :)
AKIEM 10:50 PM - 27 October, 2016
Agreed, Link is the game changer (or will be when it comes to DVS, sigh)
Ragman 1:56 AM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
Game changer? Not sure. Big? indeed. Needed? indeed. Game changer? maybe not so much in its physical form but the ideas it is sparking certainly are. In this sense it sure HAS made an impact on the game already. In all fairness though I feel as I said it is LINK that is changing the game. Peeps asked up and down for the Bridge (or even mixtape) all the while something MUCH bigger, more universal, and more accessible was brewing and LINK is an answer to SOOOOO many questions.

Official answer. DJ-808 was the car that took us to the door that changed the game :)

Define "Game Changer" ...
deejdave 2:08 AM - 28 October, 2016
Well that's exactly it. The DJ-808 adds a bit in a very nice package but does not really offer anything that was not already possible. It also will not be shaping the way anyone does anything for the most part.

LINK............ does both of these.
Mr. Goodkat 3:12 AM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
Well that's exactly it. The DJ-808 adds a bit in a very nice package but does not really offer anything that was not already possible..

never seen a controller with a drum machine or a drum machine with a controller or a vocal processor with either or all three together.

the footprint would be smaller than a modular setup and its cheaper than buying a good controller like an ddj sx2 with aira tr 8 and a vocal processor. the drum machine and vocal processor would be more full featured but still nothing else like it.

too bad they didnt get Eygptian Lover to demo it.
Serato, Support
Scott S 3:23 AM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:

He actually came in to the office one weekend and did a live demo! We didn't record it though :(

www.instagram.com
Mr. Goodkat 4:11 AM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

He actually came in to the office one weekend and did a live demo! We didn't record it though :(

www.instagram.com

NO DEMO??????????????????????

hes actually playing tonite in my city. cool guy, he was at a gig and big up'ed me and asked about a couple songs. it was nerve racking when someone asked me to play egyptian lover and i asked why and said hes right over there behind you. he was like 15 ft away.
WarpNote 7:23 PM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Boom. or more

In SDJ no... In the future. An unlimited amount of decks.

It's kinda funny to have software with built in limitations bassed on analog physical limitations. I would like to see companies design from the ground up instead.

Hardware designers too. If I ever did buy a controller it would never be one with fake strobe light dots on the platter... C'mon. Same as software with little graphics of turntables.

I still dont see why you would need more decks, however there are options now with sample players, Traktor remix decks, VDJ is supposed to have unlimited decks? I just dont see it catching on it the main market...

But, back to the switchable single deck controller, make it, I we'll buy it! :D
AKIEM 10:13 PM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
I still dont see why you would need more decks, however there are options now with sample players, Traktor remix decks, VDJ is supposed to have unlimited decks? I just dont see it catching on it the main market...

But, back to the switchable single deck controller, make it, I we'll buy it! :D

Well "need" is always relative, I could probably get buy with one deck these days - lol.

'Ableton DJing' caught on, and I don't think that is always R / L / R / L.

But the thing is that Serato does some stuff really well that would work for production, live production, remixing... building up loops to create music stems, etc. And yes, the Sampler is *almost* like having multiple decks. Its actually pretty far from being a 'sampler' in any sense. (Ive been pointing this out from since beta requesting actual sample player features) Its mostly limitations by design that stop the 'Sampler' from being 10 Decks all together. Artificial limitations.
WarpNote 6:13 AM - 2 November, 2016
I think I get it, what you're looking for is a way to instant double or "input reverse", if you like, loads of decks, using 1 turntable? Similar to Ableton session, just more "hands on", with turntable tricks up your sleve?

I like that idea, sorry for being slow Akeim ;-)
Niro 9:28 AM - 2 November, 2016
I remember something about being able to play two different tracks on a denon 3700/3900 a while back. Can't remember it fully, but seemed cool.
Djkom 9:59 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
I remember something about being able to play two different tracks on a denon 3700/3900 a while back. Can't remember it fully, but seemed cool.

It was a trick on the 3700 by activating the echo FX on a track then loading another one...so it's not really a two track mixing unlike the Denon S5000 which was fully able to control 2 tracks (2 pairs of rca outputs) or Numark V7.
Djkom 10:09 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

It was a trick on the 3700 by activating the echo FX on a track then loading another one...so it's not really a two track mixing unlike the Denon S5000 which was fully able to control 2 tracks (2 pairs of rca outputs) or Numark V7.

My bad it is was the S5500 instead of the S5000
AKIEM 5:43 PM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
I think I get it, what you're looking for is a way to instant double or "input reverse", if you like, loads of decks, using 1 turntable? Similar to Ableton session, just more "hands on", with turntable tricks up your sleve?

I like that idea, sorry for being slow Akeim ;-)

Sure. My theory is just that there are so many built in legacy limitations in whats being offered. 'Innovation' seems to be 'automation' simplification and added limitations for no apparent reason.

Heres another example to illustrate. Virtual labels spin at 33.3rpm. But why when there are no turntables? lol Make them do something useful like spining on beat.
Ragman 5:46 AM - 3 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My bad it is was the S5500 instead of the S5000

I think that was called Mirror MIx mode or something like that. But yeah I remember that too.
Ugly Sounds 7:08 PM - 4 November, 2016
So I got a hold of the DJ-808 and damn are those platters good. Good weight / feel and yeah that latency . I'm not a scratch DJ but I could pull off some moves that I can't do on CDJ's .
The TR system seems not to have enuff gain but then I used it today and the gain was fine. Not sure what I was doing wrong still learning. The LED lights are way to soft for day light or even indoor lighting hopefully that can get patched . I work at a DJ shop so I've tried all the controllers and this is definitely the one I'd buy (I'm really waiting for Serato to update so the TR-8 is plug n play so I can add that to my setup, I don't really need a all-in-one setup)
Ragman 2:00 PM - 5 November, 2016
You have a TR-8? If so, what's your thoughts about it. Thinking about getting one.
Ugly Sounds 8:28 PM - 9 November, 2016
I like the TR-8, it's a great, simple and quick to learn and get's even better with the expansion packs. My hardcore synth nerd friends aren't to fond of if it because it's just too simple for them and so many other sequencer drum machines come with more for a bit more money, but this thing is built for DJ's in a live environment .
Ragman 10:16 PM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
I like the TR-8, it's a great, simple and quick to learn and get's even better with the expansion packs. My hardcore synth nerd friends aren't to fond of if it because it's just too simple for them and so many other sequencer drum machines come with more for a bit more money, but this thing is built for DJ's in a live environment .

Awesome. Thanks dood ...
freezy 5:03 PM - 12 November, 2016
Does anyone know if the price at $1499 is firm? Are there any stores offering a discount.
deejdave 6:00 PM - 12 November, 2016
Of course. Best bet is to wait until AGIPRODJ or TheDJHookup has them though as they will beat anyone's price guaranteed.
Chino 5:45 AM - 29 November, 2016
I stopped by a Sam Ash store today to demo the DJ-808. I was definitely impressed with the feel of the platters! The platters are made of plastic but they have a solid weight to them. Roland's DJ-808 lives up to their slogan of "being the lowest latency platters on the market"! I didn't expect to like the controller as much as I did!!
deejdave 2:02 PM - 29 November, 2016
I dunno man!!! I was told only sheep believe that!! Jus having fun.
Chino 11:34 PM - 29 November, 2016
lol… Im ready to buy something new to add to my production arsenal…It's either going to be the Roland DJ-808 or the MPC LIVE… maybe both.
Mr. Goodkat 12:57 AM - 30 November, 2016
why are so many people hyped about the mpc live vs the pioneer toraiz? is it price or have their been bad reviews. Dave smith stuff has always been much higher quality tech and build than recent akai stuff.
deejdave 1:04 AM - 30 November, 2016
What is the MPC Live? Don't mean MPC touch do you?
Mr. Goodkat 1:17 AM - 30 November, 2016
akai is coming out with a standalone unit supposedly for xmas
deejdave 1:55 AM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
akai is coming out with a standalone unit supposedly for xmas

Ahhhh nice. Had no idea. Is it that much cheaper? Surprising if it is standalone. I googled MPC Live and got no results other than a bunch of people using MPC's "Live" lol.
Chino 2:40 AM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
why are so many people hyped about the mpc live vs the pioneer toraiz? is it price or have their been bad reviews. Dave smith stuff has always been much higher quality tech and build than recent akai stuff.

The Toraiz's software is extremely limited compared to the MPC's software. The price for the Toraiz is steep but I expect that from Pioneer. To be fair, Akai's software for the Rennaissance/Touch was HORRIBLE when it first came out. I was so fed up that I sold the Renaissance and bought a Roland MV8800 and MC909 instead. Now, I just sold my MC909. I'm looking for a portable version of my MV8800. I'm hoping the new MPC LIVE will be that. Who knows…. maybe Roland will finally come out with a new standalone sampler/drum machine at NAMM...
Mr. Goodkat 5:16 AM - 30 November, 2016
ah makes sense. always wanted a mv8800 back in the day almost thought about buying one about a year ago but never pulled the trigger
Chino 9:45 PM - 9 December, 2016
^^^ The MV8800 is a GREAT unit! The prices they are going for on Ebay make it a steal especially when you consider all the features it has.
Chino 3:51 PM - 6 March, 2017
I'm considering selling my Denon MCx8000 to upgrade to the Roland DJ-808. I did demo the Roland DJ-808 at Sam Ash. I love the sound quality and feel of the platters. My major concern is reliability & stability.

I need to be able to depend on the controller to function without any issues for the average 5 hr long gigs that I do. Can any current DJ-808 owners comment on how it performs at gigs?

I did checked Roland's website. I know Roland recently released a firmware update(ver 1.6) to address some issues which is good. Im just looking for an honest detailed review of this controller.
popnwave 6:48 PM - 6 March, 2017
Honestly, the only gripes I've seen with the 808 is from people who don't use the drum programming ability and felt like they paid for something they don't use.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:29 PM - 6 March, 2017
I wouldn't know what to do with the drum section.
Chino 7:41 PM - 6 March, 2017
Quote:
I wouldn't know what to do with the drum section.

lol. I already have a Roland MV8800 drum machine. The DJ-808 seems like it would be perfect for live remixes. Im trying to get more into the music production end of the business so this may help me.

I really don't want any more headaches with stability. I want to make/play music instead of a being a 'perpetual beta tester'!
938MyDJ 11:31 PM - 6 March, 2017
Never let me down...

I actually went to get more of the AIRA products to enjoy my live remixing more :)
Ragman 11:58 PM - 6 March, 2017
I finally got a chance to test one out at my local Guitar Center. I gotta admit the tight latency on those platters are very noticeable. Just from my brief time with it, I can tell it has some very nice potential for those looking for more creativity in a controller.
Chino 3:39 AM - 7 March, 2017
Quote:
Never let me down...

I actually went to get more of the AIRA products to enjoy my live remixing more :)

Good to hear! I just need to weigh my controller feature needs against my wants before I buy.
I have had great experiences with Roland products in the past.
Skatospag 12:01 PM - 10 April, 2017
Hi!

I have a question that I don't think has been already answered :

Sometimes I would want to use the 808 with 2 turntables and without a computer, like using the controller as a regular mixer. Would it be possible ? I would say yes because they are saying its a standalone mixer but you never know.

Thanks!!
Chino 1:24 PM - 10 April, 2017
^^^ Yes, you can plug in turntables, cdjs etc. directly into the DJ-808 and run them without a computer. The DJ-808 has a standalone mixer.

If you plan on using SDJ with DVS then you would first need to buy the Serato DVS expansion pack.
Skatospag 1:48 PM - 10 April, 2017
Quote:
^^^ Yes, you can plug in turntables, cdjs etc. directly into the DJ-808 and run them without a computer. The DJ-808 has a standalone mixer.

If you plan on using SDJ with DVS then you would first need to buy the Serato DVS expansion pack.

Very good, thanks Chino!
djcrap 4:28 PM - 18 April, 2017
Any brave souls have pics of the inside where of the roland dj 808 crossfader slots and connections. Or even tried to install an innofader in a roland dj 808? Am trying to see if an innofader pro2 can fit in the 808 dj controller. Am planning in purchasing the 808 but my decision to do so is based on if i can replace the roland is crossfader with an innofader pro2
Chino 5:48 PM - 18 April, 2017
Quote:
Any brave souls have pics of the inside where of the roland dj 808 crossfader slots and connections. Or even tried to install an innofader in a roland dj 808? Am trying to see if an innofader pro2 can fit in the 808 dj controller. Am planning in purchasing the 808 but my decision to do so is based on if i can replace the roland is crossfader with an innofader pro2

I have a mini innofader PNP installed in my DJ-808. It was very easy to install. The innofader is super smooth & feels similar to my Rane 62 cross fader.
djcrap 6:20 AM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I have a mini innofader PNP installed in my DJ-808. It was very easy to install. The innofader is super smooth & feels similar to my Rane 62 cross fader.

The innofader pro 2 does not fit i just tried it.

Am going to try the new innofader plus which they claim is the new update replacement for the mini innofader pnp p
djcrap 2:39 PM - 1 May, 2017
Innofader plus works I can confirm that! Crabs and transforms are super clean and clear compared to the original factory fader of the 808
Chino 3:47 PM - 1 May, 2017
Quote:
Innofader plus works I can confirm that! Crabs and transforms are super clean and clear compared to the original factory fader of the 808

Nice! In general, Innofaders are a vast improvement over most stock DJ controller faders.
djcrap 1:00 AM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Quick question?
Since the roland mx-1 mixer has aira ports like the dj Roland 808. Can you connect the mx-1 Roland mixer to the dj 808 aira ports basically feeding ableton is session audio and midi sync, bpm output to one of the channels on the dj 808. since now the mx-1 mixer has an ableton mode which can be used to launch clips, play in session view etc. as mentioned.

www.roland.com
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:14 AM - 3 May, 2017
Not 100% sure on the MX-1, but you can get MIDI out of the Roland DJ-808, into Ableton, then sync Ableton session with Serato DJ using Link.
djcrap 2:01 AM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
Not 100% sure on the MX-1, but you can get MIDI out of the Roland DJ-808, into Ableton, then sync Ableton session with Serato DJ using Link.

Could you please find out from one of the roland modes please!

Am curious how both the dj 808 integrates with MX-1 through the aira ports if the mx-1 was running in ableton live mode. And use the mx-1 to launch clips in ableton session with serato dj using link.

Or is it that if you have the mx-1 intergrated with the dj 808 you don't need ableton link? Because the the dj 808 sends midi out to the mx-1 to ableton when the mx-1 is in ableton live mode.
djcrap 2:05 AM - 3 May, 2017
Here they say an ableton live mode was added to the mx-1

www.roland.com
djcrap 2:20 PM - 10 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Could you please find out from one of the roland modes please!

Am curious how both the dj 808 integrates with MX-1 through the aira ports if the mx-1 was running in ableton live mode. And use the mx-1 to launch clips in ableton session with serato dj using link.

Or is it that if you have the mx-1 intergrated with the dj 808 you don't need ableton link? Because the the dj 808 sends midi out to the mx-1 to ableton when the mx-1 is in ableton live mode.

never mind i figured it out after contacting roland support

i think i figured out why the aira usb ports wouldn’t work! the answer is in the pdf manual page 2. basically its a limitation from the way ableton live input and output channels template is programed into the mx-1.

here is the link to the pdf manual

cdn.roland.com

i think i will go the way they had suggested use the mx1 in external mode then plugin the dj 808 midi out cable to the midi in of the mx 1. then mx1 output audio cables to the line inputs of the dj 808. then launch ableton link with serato. i think that could work.
djcrap 2:22 PM - 10 May, 2017
Quote:

yup you were right i guess i will take this route
DJ2dmax 2:07 AM - 21 May, 2017
Chino can you please let me know whats the most stable version of serato dj have you ever used lately. bought the sx2 and 1.9.6 is crashing when analyzing music.

please help....

downloaded 1.7.2 anf its analyzing with no problems...
Chino 4:48 AM - 21 May, 2017
^^^ I've been using SDJ 1.9.6 for all my April/May gigs with a Roland DJ-808 & a Denon MC6000mk2. I have not experienced any issues so far.

Maybe try rolling back to SDJ 1.9.5 to see if that helps with the crashes. Where are you downloading your music from? The 'free' music sites and/or YouTube may contain music files that can possibly crash SDJ.

mid 2012 MBP OSX 10.11.5 2.6 i7 quad core 16GB RAM 750GB internal HD
DJ2dmax 9:57 PM - 23 May, 2017
Quote:
^^^ I've been using SDJ 1.9.6 for all my April/May gigs with a Roland DJ-808 & a Denon MC6000mk2. I have not experienced any issues so far.

Maybe try rolling back to SDJ 1.9.5 to see if that helps with the crashes. Where are you downloading your music from? The 'free' music sites and/or YouTube may contain music files that can possibly crash SDJ.

mid 2012 MBP OSX 10.11.5 2.6 i7 quad core 16GB RAM 750GB internal HD

Thanks Chino... I rolled back to 1.7.3 to analyze the music files and found some corrupted files and deleted those. Unfortunately 1.9.6 cant continue with analyzing...

But after I deleted those corrupted files, I switched to 1.9.3 for now.. just to have a feel on Serato with my new SX2. Seems like all functions are working fine when I did a 30min mix. Lets see how it works on a gig on June 11th. Till then so far so good.

I have about 54,000 music files from all over. Latest ones are from DJCity. Its a one time analyzing anyways which is needed.

Thanks.. crossing my fingers to pull thru on June 11th using SDJ with SX2.
DJ2dmax 9:58 PM - 23 May, 2017
Quote:
DJ2dmax, open a help request with the support team (if you haven't already) on the crashes you're experiencing and we can help resolve them.

You can open a request here: support.serato.com

Thanks Kane, I think I managed to analyze with 1.7.3 version and play with 1.9.3 for now.
CoknI09173 7:08 PM - 15 October, 2017
Wish I had read this before I got mines Friday the 13/2017/10. Can't use my 1200 on some ABS REL. First time I've used SDJ but I thought it had a vinyl input situation or something like that. No? And if not that, do you know how to make the sampler bank play. Have you sold yours already?
jackdhouse 9:45 PM - 15 October, 2017
Quote:
do you know how to make the sampler bank play.

Use can 'play' the sampler using either the Performance Pads or the Sequencer.
CoknI09173 5:38 AM - 16 October, 2017
Had an issue where I couldn't figure out how to get sound to come out and I don't know. I turned it off and exited out of Serato DJ and the Sampler main volume which was grayed out before was now operational. Problem solved even though it took me all day. So far after day, 2 I think I now can do almost everything I want to do with it. Still got find out exactly what's not mapped to the controller and what I have to use PC hotkeys with.

...The Saga Continues WuTang WuTang
Ugly Sounds 8:25 PM - 6 November, 2017
don't get discouraged it's going to take awhile to get used to the work flow. that controller is a beast !! And 1200's work with the 808 just make sure you have the DVS pack enabled .
CoknI09173 9:10 PM - 6 November, 2017
Quote:
And 1200's work with the 808 just make sure you have the DVS pack enabled .

Thanks for the encouragement really. I had a DVS trial and I actually was more comfortable with using the 1200's for their original purpose to play vinyl. So far no need to go DVS when the jog wheels handle the scratching when needed. I will say nothing feels as right as mixing on vinyl. My muscle memory hasn't adapted to the mechanics of the jog wheel entirely but again I will give it time. I am not unhappy :)
Chino 8:27 PM - 9 November, 2017
*UPDATE*

Roland has released updated drivers (1.0.4) to support OSX 10.13. Check out the link below:

www.roland.com
DJ Tecniq 11:22 PM - 9 November, 2017
Quote:

Thanks for the encouragement really. I had a DVS trial and I actually was more comfortable with using the 1200's for their original purpose to play vinyl. So far no need to go DVS when the jog wheels handle the scratching when needed. I will say nothing feels as right as mixing on vinyl
But with DVS you can still trigger the pads while playing serato vinyl. A pretty big advantage so may want it for future use. I have the SR2 here’s an example using pitch play with the pads. youtu.be
djcrap 12:45 AM - 10 November, 2017
Quote:
*UPDATE*

Roland has released updated drivers (1.0.4) to support OSX 10.13. Check out the link below:

www.roland.com

What does the driver fix in terms of release notes?
Is the driver also backward compatible with the previous OS X that 1.3.0 supported
djcrap 12:46 AM - 10 November, 2017
00ps 1.3.0 = 1.0.3
Chino 1:10 AM - 10 November, 2017
From what I have read, this driver is for use with OSX 10.13 ONLY!! A firmware release for overall DJ-808 improvements is still in the works. Release notes about this driver is listed below:

About this driver

This is a driver for using the DJ-808 on macOS 10.13.
Features

Compatible with Apple's standards of CoreAudio and CoreMIDI
Can customize driver buffer size and managing precise recording and playback latencies
System requirements

This driver has the following requirements.

*Please also check the System requirements for the audio/MIDI application and the operating system you're using.
Operating System
macOS 10.13

Computer
Apple Mac series computer with on-board USB
* Even if connected to a USB 3.0 port, the performance of the product will not change.
* Mac computers running Microsoft Windows are not supported.
Sound-Raider 12:56 PM - 21 July, 2021
3 years (and Firmware 1.1) later, how are things going with the DJ-808? Everything good, aside the mediocre pitch?

Doesn't seem to have many users or videos, but I would be interested in getting one from Ebay. Compared to the 1000SRT which I wanted to get first, it looks rather ugly, but I love the hybrid concept of a controller + mixer with 8 effects + sequencer + vocoder in one not-too-big unit which I could snatch for around 650-700€/$. I do both weddings and clubs, with a parallel interest for EDM (House, Techno, Progressive) and first steps into producing.

Would love to read your experiences over the last years. Quality of buttons, integration with your own setups and overall fun-factor.
Chino 2:54 PM - 22 July, 2021
Quote:
Quality of buttons, integration with your own setups and overall fun-factor.

I had to replace the left PLAY/PAUSE button on mine. My controller was out of warranty so I did it myself. Fairly easy to do but when I opened up the DJ-808, I quickly realized just how cheap the materials/plastics Roland was using. It was very disappointing!!

The drum machine & controller functions are well thought out & easy to use. I just didn't use the drum machine portion of the controller as much as I thought I would. When I'm performing live remixes I prefer hooking up my Pioneer DJS-1000 sampler instead.

The overall fun factor is high. I didn't get much use out of the drum machine portion so I sold it & bought another controller instead.
Sound-Raider 5:03 PM - 24 July, 2021
Allrighty, thank you! I will give it a try, since it is much more affordable than getting an 1000SRT + TR8, plus the small VT section is fun for weddings and future hobby projects.

Now Roland / Descry, the release of the DJ-808 was 5 years ago and a redesigned successor following the design philosophy of the recent TR and MC products would be great. Preferably in the same footprint, so people can keep their cases and bags, but with the following improvements:

GENERAL
- More sturdy play/pause buttons, like metal + beefier microswitches
- More robust channel faders and not directly soldered on the PCB
- Eliminating that jog/play software freezes (especially on the 505)
- Less green LEDs / Aira style, most people hate it. Go for more amber
- Asymmetrical deck layout like the 202, 505 and other controllers
- Cool: Plug and Play ready for Ableton, Logic, FLStudio, etc.

MIXER
- VU meters with green, yellow and red LEDs ("traffic light")
- TR/Sampler volume knob instead of a fader (takes less space, more robust)
- Yellow Cue Buttons, or even better RGB (like Denon Prime 4) = deck color
- Optional routing of the TRS through a channel, to enable EQ and CFX usage

DECKS
- Dedicated beat jump buttons, like on the 1000SRT (with Shift = Track Skip)
- Jog wheels kinda look ugly, maybe add a silber rim to the top surface for more contrast and make the nudge surface (outer part) look more like on the 202/505
- Jog displays look VERY basic, needs at least double the resolution/segments in neutral color + additional status indicators, like Vinyl Mode, Cue Countdown (SX2/SX3), or similar
- Recessed Pitch slider area
- Needle Stripe/Search

TRS
- 8 instruments standard like on the 505 (and with that 8 volume faders, or small knobs)
- Maybe integrate some additional goodies of the recent TR-8S, like the LCD
- Illuminated Value knob which pulses with the master BPM

VT
- Replace Peak LED with: Green = on, Yellow = signal, red = peak
- Add push encoder to allow more effects (like robot, radio, synth)
- Second Mic input (they can share the EQ)

---------------------------

Just some ideas, but why not? I really love the concept of this beast and I would love to see it more often :)