DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane needs to make a turntable!!!!

DJ Pullout 3:45 PM - 10 December, 2010
I expect nothing less from you Chad. I know you can do it! haha
djdannyd 3:58 PM - 10 December, 2010
Is Chad in product development?
BERTO 4:20 PM - 10 December, 2010
Chad is Rane
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:56 PM - 10 December, 2010
++
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:15 PM - 10 December, 2010
lol, I just saw this thread.

I'm still pushing for the triple tape deck. I mean, everyone remembers the dual cassette deck. How brilliant would 3 be? You could totally use the Sl-3 with that one.......
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:16 PM - 10 December, 2010
Wow....... Now I'm wondering if I can record the control tone on tape and then control Scratch Live with a tape deck........ oh man, the things I can come up with
BERTO 8:21 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
Wow....... Now I'm wondering if I can record the control tone on tape and then control Scratch Live with a tape deck........ oh man, the things I can come up with

you can but with Serato's permission of course
nonplus 8:21 PM - 10 December, 2010
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:22 PM - 10 December, 2010
^^thats what I'm alking about. Someone I was talking with brought this video up last week. Totally awesome. My first mixtapes were made using two boomboxes.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:23 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:

Quote:

you can but with Serato's permission of course

True, but I have permission ;)
nonplus 8:29 PM - 10 December, 2010
is there any reason why you could'nt do that with an sl1 box and a control cassette?...
nonplus 8:30 PM - 10 December, 2010
seems like it would work on paper
BERTO 8:31 PM - 10 December, 2010
www.thenerds.net
Technics replacement anyone? we can call it the Rane Chaddete controller
nonplus 8:36 PM - 10 December, 2010
great... thats all we need pink control cassettes. i just dropped 400 bones on some white cc's on bay.
nonplus 8:37 PM - 10 December, 2010
ebay... spell checker
BERTO 8:44 PM - 10 December, 2010
serato tape pressings eject, flip and rewind to listen to the new meatloaf pressing
nonplus 8:48 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
serato tape pressings eject, flip and rewind to listen to the new meatloaf pressing

haha... funny shit!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:58 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
www.thenerds.net

Tha chaddette player..... I kind of like that. It rols off of the tongue ;)

i checked that link, $96 for a tape walkman? yikes!
BERTO 9:03 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

www.thenerds.net

Tha chaddette player..... I kind of like that. It rols off of the tongue ;)

i checked that link, $96 for a tape walkman? yikes!

96 dollars now is great wait till they get popular
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:04 PM - 10 December, 2010
that made me rofl. All I could think was "technics"

So lets just say you were going to design "the next level" turntable, what would it have, what would it be?

Is it bells and whistles, is it simple and rock solid, does it use a needle / timecode based? What would you guys envision?
BERTO 10:12 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
that made me rofl. All I could think was "technics"

So lets just say you were going to design "the next level" turntable, what would it have, what would it be?

Is it bells and whistles, is it simple and rock solid, does it use a needle / timecode based? What would you guys envision?

ok it would have HID control as well as analog of course
some midi controls optional (2 models, one with and an economic one without)
a decent price, yes ppl will say that they would pay 2 grand for a Rane turntable
but we need something that is economic enough for everyone to own.
a cool matte black finish
BERTO 10:13 PM - 10 December, 2010
also really well developed legs so sound is absorbed to reduce vibrations
djdannyd 10:26 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:

Rock/Solid (Comparable to 1200's)
MIDI Control (Eliminating Dicers and other controllers)
Hybrid (Needle/timecode based)
Inexpensive ($800/ea)
Internal HD, link to other TT, (Eliminating laptop)
Interchangable cup holder
BERTO 10:34 PM - 10 December, 2010
this thread is going to explode now that Chad said Rane is going to make a turntable right Chad?
Audio1 10:40 PM - 10 December, 2010
Serato Forums: A place where regardless of how awesome the advances of technology are, Folks are never happy with what is already out.
BERTO 10:46 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
Serato Forums: A place where regardless of how awesome the advances of technology are, Folks are never happy with what is already out.

its human nature to never be satisfied and settle thats why we are advancing in almost every aspect of life
imagine if we settled at candles
AN!M4T0R 10:57 PM - 10 December, 2010
What I want to understand is if we keep advancing in technology why do people still want analog it is pointless why not just build a advanced hid controller with a LCD screen like the cdj 2000's and a hard drive so no computer needed except insted of cdj's it has a 12 inch motorized platter and the internalls are a replica of 1200's along with the spindle being attached to the platter. I mean you could still come out with limited edition pressing and what not there would just not be a need to replace them because the controller would eliminate record burn along with having to buy needles and all the other pointless stuff technology has moved passed
BERTO 11:02 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
What I want to understand is if we keep advancing in technology why do people still want analog it is pointless why not just build a advanced hid controller with a LCD screen like the cdj 2000's and a hard drive so no computer needed except insted of cdj's it has a 12 inch motorized platter and the internalls are a replica of 1200's along with the spindle being attached to the platter. I mean you could still come out with limited edition pressing and what not there would just not be a need to replace them because the controller would eliminate record burn along with having to buy needles and all the other pointless stuff technology has moved passed

yea HID mode but also have analog option bc you still have vinyl pressings that ppl are down with
AN!M4T0R 11:14 PM - 10 December, 2010
but why even have the analog option serato could come out with the same pressings just no control tone on them. I can't see why someone would want analog when you can have a controller that performs exactly the same as a technic same parts even used maybe idk. Analog just seems like a hassle if you have a controller that performs the same as technics but then again thats just my opinion
Audio1 11:23 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

its human nature to never be satisfied and settle thats why we are advancing in almost every aspect of life
imagine if we settled at candles
I understand that. Think of all the items that Rane & Serato have provided... Rane 68, Rane 57SL, Video SL, SL3, SL1, Serato Scratch Live. Serato completely changed DJing forever and cats are still not happy. Doesn't make sense.
BERTO 11:32 PM - 10 December, 2010
bc Audio1 human nature
you want a big house and then you see a big house and you want a bigger house, you drive a ferrari then you see a cat in a lambo and you want that then you have a Lambo and you see a Veyron and youre like oh my i want it, ect ect ect
ppl always want better and better and are never satisfied which is not a bad thing imagine if we were just ok with it, then Namm and other trade shows as welll as automobile, planes, trains technology wouldnt keep moving as they are. why get dialup when you can have broadband and now wireless and then 3g and 4g ect its just human nature.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:36 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:
this thread is going to explode now that Chad said Rane is going to make a turntable right Chad?

lol, wrong!

i'm just curious what your dream table would look like. I've been a technics user for 13 + years. i love them and don't want anything else. So I'm stuck in the gap as well. Do I go cdj, do I buy another extremely overpriced technic? Do I say forget it and go midi controller?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:42 PM - 10 December, 2010
Quote:

Rock/Solid (Comparable to 1200's)
MIDI Control (Eliminating Dicers and other controllers)
Hybrid (Needle/timecode based)
Inexpensive ($800/ea)
Internal HD, link to other TT, (Eliminating laptop)
Interchangable cup holder

Thats a pretty solid answer :) I like the ideas

I would also want something rock solid like a technic. I'm not a bells and whistles guy but it would be nice to have a digital display that could have info like BPM, time remaining ect. Similar to the data displayed on most cdj's. I think having the ability to connect USB to a computer would be sweet as well.

I'm not sure about the cupholders, but I don't drink so I don't have much use for it. Maybe thats why this was your dream turntable ;)
DJ Dub Cowboy 1:02 AM - 11 December, 2010
Analog turntable in the style/quality if Technics but with added midi controls. Done!!!
djdannyd 1:19 AM - 11 December, 2010
Quote:

I'll remember that when I'm cueing one of your edits....
skratchworx 11:32 AM - 11 December, 2010
Quote:
Do I go cdj, do I buy another extremely overpriced technic? Do I say forget it and go midi controller?

The CDJ is nothing more than a MIDI controller these days.
DJ Pullout 1:36 PM - 13 December, 2010
Quote:
Analog turntable in the style/quality if Technics but with added midi controls. Done!!!

2nd!!!
Eric N 9:43 PM - 13 December, 2010
Aside from HID control and MIDI buttons, the obvious things that should be on any Technics replacement are removable/replaceable RCAs and factory internal grounding!

A removable power cord wouldn't hurt either.
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:51 PM - 13 December, 2010
Quote:
Aside from HID control and MIDI buttons, the obvious things that should be on any Technics replacement are removable/replaceable RCAs and factory internal grounding!

A removable power cord wouldn't hurt either.

agreed
dreamkast 10:14 PM - 13 December, 2010
removeable power cord and rca's
internally grounded
nice black finish
doesnt use the standard needles that wear out (time code based)
Same pitch control as the 1210 mk5g (ones that can switch between the small/bigger scale pitch change)with the led lit pitch numbers
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:26 PM - 13 December, 2010
Quote:
internally grounded
nice black finish
Same pitch control as the 1210 mk5g (ones that can switch between the small/bigger scale pitch change)with the led lit pitch numbers

I still play and will always play vinyl that uses needles. That is the only thing I am seeing in this thread that is unrealistic. Rane isn't going to bust out out some laser tracking system.
Kadilac 10:30 PM - 13 December, 2010
These caught my eye, but I'll stick with M5G's.

www.reloopdj.com
BERTO 10:32 PM - 13 December, 2010
Quote:

www.reloopdj.com

cant get reloops in the US if you got them shipped try double the price i tried....
djdannyd 11:19 PM - 13 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

internally grounded
nice black finish

I still play and will always play vinyl that uses needles. That is the only thing I am seeing in this thread that is unrealistic. Rane isn't going to bust out out some laser tracking system.

it can always be a hybrid turntable......
got2b Ru 12:40 PM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

www.reloopdj.com

cant get reloops in the US if you got them shipped try double the price i tried....

you CAN get Reloop TTs in the US. They're called Stanton ST-150... Also one of the Super OEM turntables, is the exact clone of that Reloop RP-6000: the discontinued (in the US anyway) American Audio HTD 4.5
www.americandj.eu

Rane's reputation for durable high performance Professional DJ products makes them a "no-brainer" to pick up where Panasonic left off. Maybe ...buy the tooling for the 1200 and improve on that platform?
BERTO 1:34 PM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

www.reloopdj.com

you CAN get Reloop TTs in the US. They're called Stanton ST-150... Also one of the Super OEM turntables, is the exact clone of that Reloop RP-6000: the discontinued (in the US anyway) American Audio HTD 4.5
www.americandj.eu

Rane's reputation for durable high performance Professional DJ products makes them a "no-brainer" to pick up where Panasonic left off. Maybe ...buy the tooling for the 1200 and improve on that platform?

www.reloopdj.com

please let me know where i can purchase this one then
DJ Pullout 1:48 PM - 14 December, 2010
Im just imagining the possabilities if Rane did this. I mean imagine the bundle packages and what not. Your one stop shop for all digital DJing. They could essentially take over the market.
got2b Ru 2:56 PM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

www.reloopdj.com

www.americandj.eu

www.reloopdj.com

also discontinued: www.audio-technica.com
replaced by: www.audio-technica.com
these are based on the 2nd or 3rd gen. super oem platform that also spawned : Gemini PTxx, Stanton STR8-xxx, Numark PRO TT-xx as well as many other international brands. They are NOT what I consider good OR reliable alternatives to Technics. Why would you want this?
BERTO 3:07 PM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

www.reloopdj.com

www.americandj.eu

www.reloopdj.com

also discontinued: www.audio-technica.com
replaced by: www.audio-technica.com
these are based on the 2nd or 3rd gen. super oem platform that also spawned : Gemini PTxx, Stanton STR8-xxx, Numark PRO TT-xx as well as many other international brands. They are NOT what I consider good OR reliable alternatives to Technics. Why would you want this?

got2bRu what is a good turntable alternative to Technics in the US?
also not 700 dollars?
got2b Ru 3:57 PM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:

got2bRu what is a good turntable alternative to Technics in the US?
also not 700 dollars?

If money is a major concern, I would say buy used Technics. Ebay and craigslist has great deals all the time. You just need to look EVERY DAY WITHOUT FAIL. I was able to buy 2 1200mk2s on ebay for $370 shipped for the pair. They needed new tonearms which I got on ebay for $100 for the pair! That's less than $500 for the pair!
BERTO 4:08 PM - 14 December, 2010
yea im looking for used techs
bill-e 4:16 PM - 14 December, 2010
Lol what's a good alterntive to technics?

Used technics!
damehype 5:43 PM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Do I go cdj, do I buy another extremely overpriced technic? Do I say forget it and go midi controller?

The CDJ is nothing more than a MIDI controller these days.

As is the Turntable in most cases
got2b Ru 7:27 PM - 14 December, 2010
Quote:

i'm just curious what your dream table would look like. I've been a technics user for 13 + years. i love them and don't want anything else. So I'm stuck in the gap as well. Do I go cdj, do I buy another extremely overpriced technic? Do I say forget it and go midi controller?

1.bp.blogspot.com

yeeeeaaah!
dj_soo 10:10 AM - 15 December, 2010
I still wish panasonic would make a controller based off the technics parts - something like the V7 or SCS.3D but based off the technics hardware...
dj_soo 10:11 AM - 15 December, 2010
but yea, seriously - fuck non-moving platter djing.
skratchworx 10:27 AM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
I still wish panasonic would make a controller based off the technics parts - something like the V7 or SCS.3D but based off the technics hardware...

The 1200 was an accidental success, and not designed for DJing. When they did design products for DJs, they weren't very good at it. So there's no reason to suspect that they would have any success with anything else.

Rane should stick to what they're good at. A new deck would require a massive amount of investment, and in a market place where turntable sales are in the toilet, and recession still snaps at manufacturers' heels from all angles, going down this route feels like commercial suicide.
dj_soo 10:49 AM - 15 December, 2010
accidental or not, the design is there and it's what a lot of DJ prefer and that's already been designed and time-tested - all they would have to do is remove the tone arm aspects and replace the audio guts with a decent midi device - maybe headhunt or partner with guys from novation or korg who understand the midi side of things.

That said, I personally swore by the RP-DJ1200 headphones until i got my HD-25s and the old battle mixer was fine for what it was - fader life notwithstanding - the only real bust I can remember is the CD deck which I heard improved with some firmware upgrades. Hell, pattern their deck off that thing - as I recall, it felt solid - like a 1200 just had some issues with the platter lag and sound.

Always wanted to try the technics 4-channel mixer but never had a chance. I guess that could be a financial bust as I don't think i've ever even met someone who's used one, but it always looked like a solid mixer...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:23 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:

Ha! Pause button Serato Mixes!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:26 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
[Inexpensive ($800/ea)

Y'all musta forgot what INEXPENSIVE REALLY IS...

Like 200-250?
AN!M4T0R 9:14 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

[Inexpensive ($800/ea)

Like 200-250?

For what people are asking for rane to build in this thread 800$ would be super cheap
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:17 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

[Inexpensive ($800/ea)

Like 200-250?

For what people are asking for rane to build in this thread 800$ would be super cheap

so to sum it up what exactly IS everyone asking for again??
djdannyd 9:21 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

[Inexpensive ($800/ea)

Like 200-250?

for a pair of Ortofons and spares $200 is a good inexpensive price. A decent quality turntable should be no less than $500. If you pay less than that you're getting Gemini quality not Rane.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:28 PM - 15 December, 2010
This has some good feedback on what you guys would want. I know what I would want. I will truly miss the technics. They have been rock solid and I've needed nothing else. Haven't even really thought of anything else.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:04 AM - 16 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

[Inexpensive ($800/ea)

Like 200-250?

I'm sayin, I haven't bought a turntable since 1985, so that's all I know...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:06 AM - 16 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

[Inexpensive ($800/ea)

Like 200-250?

All anybody is REALLY asking' for that is "EXTRA" is Midi. It doesn't cost anything to self ground the TT, or use user replaceable RCA's.

That's all you really need to "IMPROVE" on the 1200 MKII.
Steve Dub. 12:15 AM - 16 December, 2010
Screw a turntable, Rane/Serato need to make something like the N7 but able to use Serato and VSL instead of Itch. That's the future right there!
lvmez 2:06 AM - 16 December, 2010
Quote:
Screw a turntable, Rane/Serato need to make something like the N7 but able to use Serato and VSL instead of Itch. That's the future right there!

+1

either rane or pioneer. with moving platters.
Steve Dub. 5:57 PM - 16 December, 2010
Yup moving platter and maybe a 10" CV.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:18 PM - 16 December, 2010
interesting new turn in ideas. keep em coming :)
BERTO 6:21 PM - 16 December, 2010
not "pioneer" priced
ernie 6:36 PM - 16 December, 2010
plsss make us a rane turntable..
DJ Dub Cowboy 9:11 PM - 16 December, 2010
2 Products here:

a turntable

&

a controller

Rane could easily nail both. But even if Rane comes out with a great controller, people who DJ with records are still stuck with discontinued models.

3 models:
Turntable
Controller
Hybrid

3 price points all based on the same chassis.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:16 PM - 16 December, 2010
^ seriosuly fuck all that quit watering down products to try and make everyone happy make ONE product and make it really really really really really really well. Make it so good that no matter what one chose before it, everyone will want to be on it afterwards, change the game, make progress.
bill-e 9:25 PM - 16 December, 2010
V7 style plz with no needles plz
DJ Pullout 9:34 PM - 16 December, 2010
BAMN!!!!! BEZZLE KNOWS!!!!!!
lvmez 10:09 PM - 16 December, 2010
i agree with bezzle BUT then everyone will be crying about the price. because we all know that what ever rane comes out with will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
lumas13 10:14 PM - 16 December, 2010
Quote:
accidental or not, the design is there and it's what a lot of DJ prefer and that's already been designed and time-tested - all they would have to do is remove the tone arm aspects and replace the audio guts with a decent midi device - maybe headhunt or partner with guys from novation or korg who understand the midi side of things.

That said, I personally swore by the RP-DJ1200 headphones until i got my HD-25s and the old battle mixer was fine for what it was - fader life notwithstanding - the only real bust I can remember is the CD deck which I heard improved with some firmware upgrades. Hell, pattern their deck off that thing - as I recall, it felt solid - like a 1200 just had some issues with the platter lag and sound.

I have the 4 channel SH-MZ1200, its my backup mixer, what would make it great if I could put a innofader in it, then it would be my main mixer

Always wanted to try the technics 4-channel mixer but never had a chance. I guess that could be a financial bust as I don't think i've ever even met someone who's used one, but it always looked like a solid mixer...
lumas13 10:15 PM - 16 December, 2010
I have the 4 channel SH-MZ1200, its my backup mixer, what would make it great if I could put a innofader in it, then it would be my main mixer
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:55 PM - 16 December, 2010
I just want Pauly D to endorse it.

That's all I ask.
Hassle 12:23 PM - 17 December, 2010
It needs to have the exact feel as the Technics (platter motor, pitch) , but with

mentioned before:

internally grounded
nice black finish

AND: 2 start/stop buttons (bottom left and top left)

all I'd ever need
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:38 PM - 17 December, 2010
Quote:
mentioned before:

internally grounded
nice black finish

AND: 2 start/stop buttons (bottom left and top left)

all I'd ever need

found something you may be interested in pioneerdjusa.com
latindj 5:38 PM - 17 December, 2010
Quote:
^ seriosuly fuck all that quit watering down products to try and make everyone happy make ONE product and make it really really really really really really well. Make it so good that no matter what one chose before it, everyone will want to be on it afterwards, change the game, make progress.

full circle. you just described the 1200 all over again. lol
latindj 5:44 PM - 17 December, 2010
the ideal controller would be in essence a CDJ with:

a) a moving platter, preferably 10-12"
b) affordable, in the $500-800 range

bells and whistles:

a) make the platter a circular lcd screen which can display a variety of images (you
want to keep that special control vinyl look)
b) internal hd's
c) not so much of a plastic "toy" feel
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:46 PM - 17 December, 2010
I'm liking what I see.

To bad I don't have the power to make something like this happen, but I like the ideas.
DJ Pullout 5:58 PM - 17 December, 2010
Dont lie Chad.... we all know Rane is up to something.

Lets start a slow chant....

CHAD CHAD CHAD CHAD....
djdannyd 7:59 PM - 17 December, 2010
Quote:
I'm liking what I see.

To bad I don't have the power to make something like this happen, but I like the ideas.

How many days until NAMM 2011??? I'm sure you guys can come up with something.
DJ Pullout 8:03 PM - 17 December, 2010
CHAD CHAD CHAD CHAD....
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:18 PM - 17 December, 2010
lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:21 PM - 17 December, 2010
CHAD CHAD CHAD CHAD!
DJ Pullout 8:24 PM - 17 December, 2010
CHAD CHAD CHAD CHAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
SELECT 8:29 PM - 17 December, 2010
Chad buy everyone donuts and coffee at your next meeting. Then tell em about your amazing idea for a Rane Turntable...

CHAD CHAD CHAD!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:33 PM - 17 December, 2010
lol you guys are chanting for chad and right now chads sitting in front of his computer with some of the rane engineers with their mouths wide open looking at the purple, plastic , 6 inch non moving platter midi controller that has an external ground non removable rcas and power source that can also be used as a xbox controller and debating if they should even show up to NAMM this year lol
DJ Pullout 8:36 PM - 17 December, 2010
Quote:
lol you guys are chanting for chad and right now chads sitting in front of his computer with some of the rane engineers with their mouths wide open looking at the purple, plastic , 6 inch non moving platter midi controller that has an external ground non removable rcas and power source that can also be used as a xbox controller and debating if they should even show up to NAMM this year lol

Time to bury that project and begin on the new turntable...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:38 PM - 17 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Time to bury that project and begin on the new turntable...

lol their running around the workshop right now like shit guys we got a few weeks what parts do we have left over to throw together to make a turntable...CHAD ARE YOU USING THAT STAPLER ..GOOD BRING IT HERE, SOMEONE GET ME A CUP TRAY!~!!!!!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:49 PM - 17 December, 2010
lol, "they'll never notice the Technics logo under all of that spray paint".

P.S. staplers and a staple make a good tonearm / needle combo. Try it :)

Actually, don't really try it ;)
DJ Pullout 8:53 PM - 17 December, 2010
Ya know.... I had a good idea once.....

It was a "Jump to conclusions mat"

lol
ninos 9:26 PM - 17 December, 2010
**** starts the wave***