Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Numark, please make the NS12 and V12

KLH 12:10 AM - 20 August, 2010
Since the NS7 and V7s are obviously successful, Numark, please make the NS12 and V12. The world wants more than 7" platters - we want 12" platters. Make cases for them (with casters for the NS12) and they will be just as portable as the NS7s and V7s are right now. Screw arguments about not being able to fit them in backpacks... we know that you can't.

What we want are FULL TT replacements with integrated effects, sampler, and two more "button-modding" controls! I say "button-modding" meaning other shift-like keys so that the existing buttons can be repurposed (like the delete/shift key repurposes the loop keys).

Even better, make the V12s able to be standalone (like the existing V7s) AND be a part of the NS12s so that the NS12 + two V12s means FOUR DECKS! That would really make both fly off the shelves, IMHO.

Even still better, make the NS12's mixer have effects that can be pre-or-post fader AND have FOUR faders! For stand-alone mode, the extra two faders control the aux-in stereo source and mic! For the mic, it'd be nice to have a -12db pad across the other sources so that the mic would stand out.

SD and HD Video would be supported too as simple video files with pre-determined fades controlled by the cross-fader and settings.

The NS12 and V12s would be obviously be expensive, but they'd be the undisputed top end of the controller world for a LONG time.

What does everyone think? I think that it would be incredible.

-KLH
czar 1:56 AM - 20 August, 2010
I agree on 12" platters, that would make SL users break their necks over their shoulder to look.

now i dont think it should be a single controller but three pieces that fit into a single case. it can be lighter than the NS7 is properly designed. (perhaps) =]
Ragman 2:35 AM - 20 August, 2010
KLH my brother from another mother. I totally agree with you dood. I've been wanting something like that from Numark for a while now. I just that they take a serious look into this.

"If they build it, many will buy it."
Dj Ricky Redz 4:39 AM - 20 August, 2010
I had a dream!!!!......

If they should make the v12s I would sell an arm and a leg to buy!!! :D
swif 7:36 AM - 20 August, 2010
+100 for the v12, this time make the a/b switch function as four deck control.
lobboclub 1:44 PM - 20 August, 2010
+1
Yes to the 12" platters.
Panotaker 2:11 PM - 20 August, 2010
I have been wanting a 12" NS12 since I got my NS7. I sure that Numark knows that the 12" version will sell well. I am really not concerned about the bigger size. I am guessing they will probably come out with one as soon as they finish making Itch have all the bells and whistles that Serato Scratch Live has.
czar 2:49 PM - 20 August, 2010
keywords!

as compact as possible with all controls built in

light, light, light!

3 separate components able to fit in a single coffin

=]]]]
KLH 3:25 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
keywords! as compact as possible with all controls built in ... light, light, light!

Hey Numark, ignore this. Just make the quality the same as the NS7 and V7 and the rest will take care of itself.

-KLH
k_one 3:34 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
Numark, please make the NS12 and V12.

+1
kraal 6:26 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
Since the NS7 and V7s are obviously successful, Numark, please make the NS12 and V12. The world wants more than 7" platters - we want 12" platters. Make cases for them (with casters for the NS12) and they will be just as portable as the NS7s and V7s are right now. Screw arguments about not being able to fit them in backpacks... we know that you can't.

i honestly think numark has done good research and realize 12inch platters will not be a najor selling point....
one the key to ns7 and v7 is portability
two most dj's will not run out and buy a 'fake' turntable that is the exact size of a real turntable......
Panotaker 7:23 PM - 20 August, 2010
I first bought a pair of 3700's because they had a bigger platter than the NS7. I didn't really like the fact that you couldn't press on the platter on the 3700's to pitchbend, so I ended up buying the NS7 and now love it. If they would have had a NS12 I would have bought it instead.
ktern 7:52 PM - 20 August, 2010
I don't think an NS12 would work too well since it'd be incredibly clunky as a single huge item, but V12? Sounds brilliant to me.
Ragman 8:31 PM - 20 August, 2010
Tech 1200s were clunky and they did very well over 30 years. Some DJs are cool with the size as long you don;t have to deal with other shortcomings of old school t/t's like needles, dust, changing out records.
Quote:
Quote:

i honestly think numark has done good research and realize 12inch platters will not be a najor selling point....
one the key to ns7 and v7 is portability
two most dj's will not run out and buy a 'fake' turntable that is the exact size of a real turntable......

I disagree. The CDX sold very well for Numark. The problem was the constant nagging issues with that deck. And Numark still kept it around for a some years because DJs loved it so much they felt it was worth the risk.

As far as "fake" turntable, the CDX / NS7 /VS7 are real turntables in my book. Just an upgrade to technology. They control the music conceptually the same as a real turntable but without the a needle. Both have pluses and minuses.
kraal 9:11 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:

As far as "fake" turntable, the CDX / NS7 /VS7 are real turntables in my book. Just an upgrade to technology. .

yes but you see you and I are already converts. The term 'fake' turntables is not referring to us cause honestly we dont care :)
czar 11:44 PM - 20 August, 2010
KLH

after careful thought u might be right if the target are clubs and replacing the 1200's... and that would also replace the SL boxes..

i think if they target mobile dj's the equipment shoould be as light as possible, compact might no be an issue if they are light.. and yea i still think that they should pack it with knobs, and faders. i would go as far as putting more than needed to add features later or even opening the 1 on 1 philosophy a little bit as to allow a few features to be mapped according to each DJ.... do u not think flexibility is good?

i might be just ranting but hey..

Please Numark ignore KLH all together! LOL Im kidding of course! but thanks for asking people to ignore mate. reeeeeal coooool
kraal 11:56 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:

after careful thought u might be right if the target are clubs and replacing the 1200's... and that would also replace the SL boxes..

yeah but most dj's coming in a club are used to turntables and SSL so if they have a club that has a little know software running its stuff then you are limiting the dj's... a club is better off having no equiptnebt and expect the dj to bring in their own
KLH 12:47 AM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
Please Numark ignore KLH all together!

This is probably the best advice on this site, Czar!

In all seriousness, don't think that my comment was directed at you. I just want Numark to free themselves of the idea that controllers must be light, compact, and portable. I think that the drive should be 100% replacement of the traditional TT/Mixer/TT setup so that ALL turntablist moves can be duplicated with the exact feel that real turntables would have.

IMHO, the NS12/V12 market is bigger than the NS7/V7 market because it's a maintenance-free version of what most TT-based DJs already use.

-KLH
czar 12:57 AM - 21 August, 2010
so u basically want to build turntables without the needles.. I can see that! hard core fans can hang their needles on the wall if the want! he =p too bad i cant make a smile face missing some teeth. those are always fun! =]
damehype 12:57 AM - 21 August, 2010
Don't really get the fuss about a 12" platter. No one puts their entire palm on the record to scratch, all you really need is that small surface. Guess it's just aesthetics.
czar 1:00 AM - 21 August, 2010
i shouldnt say those things =]
Ragman 1:57 AM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

As far as "fake" turntable, the CDX / NS7 /VS7 are real turntables in my book. Just an upgrade to technology. .

yes but you see you and I are already converts. The term 'fake' turntables is not referring to us cause honestly we dont care :)

True dat...
Calzone 3:50 AM - 21 August, 2010
So I'm going to ask the really stupid question.

If portability isn't a driving factor, and feel is the number one most important factor... why should it be 12"?

What does 12" provide for feel that 7" doesn't?

Why not 15"? 9"?

How about changing the shape of the "record" so it's not a perfectly smooth circle, but instead has little nubs you can grab onto with your fingers ? Maybe make one of those nubs with an indent of some sort so you can always feel where 360 degrees is without looking at the record.

See what I'm driving at?

There are only two persuasive reasons I've heard for having a 12" version of NS7 -- (1) because it looks the part and people care more about looks than anything else and (2) because 12" feel better than 7"

Now I'll grant you that a lot of DJs are accustomed to working with a 12" circle and in that sense, giving them what they're used to is generally a good idea. But considering how few people I've seen complain on here that 7" is totally insufficient, that somehow it ruins the ability to mix or scratch... well, I tend to think the feel argument is not quite as persuasive as some might think it is...

therefore, if the overarching goal is to produce a system that feels great and handles great and makes every DJ grin ear to ear... then it's time to think outside the box.

12" turntables are only that way because of very antiquated technology that was around LONG before people started scratching and juggling.
Kmxorbit 8:02 AM - 21 August, 2010
I've seen some strange arguments in this post. Actually, Why not a 42" platter... then the design matches some LCD TV's. ^^

Anyway, personally I'm not convinced that Numark will attract extra converts with a 12" model for Itch but only some shifts inside their own customers.
However, the game might change is this "so called" V12 is able to send time code on its own. Then it is compatible with loads of interfaces and other brands + that it can play and store music inside the unit or from SD card or USB stick and you can link it with 4 other decks. Yeah. Call is an extended CDX with the build quality of the V7's.
it would be a direct CDJ2000 attack, but with a more analog feel apporach and another industry standard form factor. (sorry kraal that I used that word again ^^)
kraal 8:59 AM - 21 August, 2010
calzone exactly ---- 12 inch platter witn no needles seriously seem to be over kill.....
Dj Beware 9:25 AM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
calzone exactly ---- 12 inch platter witn no needles seriously seem to be over kill.....

I agree as well, in fact, I think regarding the 12" issue, it all depends on who your targeting and how long you have been playing music. I think there are very distinct types of Dj's, if you scratch ALOT, you probably learned on 12" platters thus you would probably want to continue that with that route. Most EDM DJ's probably won't care about 12" platters, if your more jack of all trades and you grew up on 12" platters, you'll probably want them if you have the choice, but I don't think its a show stopper. One of the reasons why the whole DVS thing was so popular in the first place, when DVS first came out none of the familiar equipment changed ie Turntables, mixer ect, so it was an easy transition for DJ's. Now almost 10 years later, newer DJ's in some case's probably never even touched a vinyl record in there life, let alone 12" platters, thus its not familiar therefore they are more open to different methods of manipulating the music. The the older DJ's still have the form factor they want to keep because that worked for them for so long, and they like the feel, as its reminds them of turntables, so that "muscle memory" is there.

12" platters are not necessary its just a matter of the die hards having to get use to another form factor. I am not a Scratch DJ, but if you can show me a trick or routine that you can perform on a 12" platter that can not be duplicated on a 7" platter I would be interested to see.
Calzone 5:20 PM - 21 August, 2010
I'd say the next thing Numark should invent to replace the NS7 should be a 3D mixing environment where you can wave your hands up and down, side to side, around, and where various movements and gestures, down to little details and twitches and up to long swoops are all captured by a magnetic field sensor and used to control music in ways we could only dream of today.

Imagine reaching into the air and pinching a sample out of some other track and throwing it down to your infinite mixer to play on command.
KLH 9:24 PM - 21 August, 2010
The original intent of having 12" platters is to completely replace a turntable with a controller. Having a 12" platters does this - assuming they act like the NS7 or V7's platters.

As for what techniques require a 12" platter, I have a hard time with tears on the NS7. Tears and other scratching like flares, orbits, and even crabs are wayyyy easier on TTs (IMHO) because of the larger space allowed on 12" platters.

Another side benefit is the ability to use albums on the platters. While they aren't obviously necessary for playback, using real album vinyl psychologically makes the NS12 and V12 appear to be real TT replacements.

Quote:
the game might change is this "so called" V12 is able to send time code on its own. Then it is compatible with loads of interfaces and other brands + that it can play and store music inside the unit or from SD card or USB stick and you can link it with 4 other decks.

This is an ingenious idea, Kmxorbit. One way of increasing the audience is to have the controllers "mimic" HID of other CDJs - like the CDJ-2000, CDJ-1000, or even the DNS-3700. Numark could sell "plugins" that would make the V12 "act" like those players for SSL or TSP users...

-KLH
Calzone 9:55 PM - 21 August, 2010
KLH

If there's money to be made building and selling a 12" version of the V7 and NS7 then I'm sure Numark will get on it. You obviously represent a share of the market that is demanding such a product.

But the "debate" taking place here is not about whether or not Numark "should" or "shouldn't" (only Numark can know and decide that), but about who among us thinks 12" is a big deal vs. who thinks 12" is stuck looking backward when we want to look forward.

You haven't addressed my question about what makes 12" so much better than 10.5", 11", 13", 14" etc... To me it seems most proponents are either blindly clinging to the comfortable old or just feel the need to have something that looks big and "authentic." Not saying this is you, only that I still don't understand what's so magical about exactly 12" vinyl platters.

If bigger is better, wouldn't 16" platters be even better? That's still a size that's about as portable as 12."

It's my impression there's an element of the DJ market that is simply STUCK on 12" only because 130 years ago the phonograph was invented... and along the way, the recording industry settled on 12" because it fit about 20 minutes of music which was deemed the ideal tradeoff between medium size and recording length.

Fast forward and technology has granted the ability to make a controller behave any way you can dream of and have any dimensions and shape you can dream of and all I see in this thread is people pining for the days of yore.

Maybe 12" really is a panacea. Maybe it's just a coincidental synchronicity of the universe that 12" was both the ideal size for the music industry, and today for a nascent art form where modern composers manipulate platters of music instead of orchestras.

But I'm skeptical.

My money is on the next big controller being a docking station with two iPads you can swipe any old way you like.
Calzone 10:06 PM - 21 August, 2010
^^ I meant conductors, not composers
Ragman 11:19 PM - 21 August, 2010
Calzone, no disrespect to you but, most of us DJs that want a 12" inch platter know well what we're talking about because more then likely we've already assessed which of the two sizes is suited for performing turntablism. This has nothing to do with the psychological reasons behind 12" vs 7" and surface size for hand placement, and more to do with all of turntablistic skills were created on the 12" so there is a feel and comfort zone associated to where it came from. This is an artform and the techniques and expression of it was created on a 12" platter. I know what I feel when I use both sizes and I can tell you from MY experience the 12" size is where I find my comfort zone for turntablism. If there's not enough DJs that want this to warrant Numark to make it, so be it. But judging from the success of the CDX/HDX in light of the issues they had, I think a V12 made with the same quality and workmanship as the V7 will sell very well. Again, for me this is not a 12" vs 7" debate because I own a V7 and like it for it's portability but as great as that deck is for scratching it still can't touch a CDX/HDX or a Tech 1200 for the true expression of the artform.
I remember when the Denon forum had this debate when the S5000/3000/3500 were out. The same argument was made about platter size and hand placement. Well even Denon had to eat crow and made a compromise with the S3700 which is a 9" platter.
kraal 11:28 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:

As for what techniques require a 12" platter, I have a hard time with tears on the NS7. Tears and other scratching like flares, orbits, and even crabs are wayyyy easier on TTs (IMHO) because of the larger space allowed on 12" platters.

i have to say i think that is more based on what you are used to.... i see no difference in platter size to be exact i think scratches are 'tighter' on the smaller platters flairs and crabs
kraal 11:35 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
Well even Denon had to eat crow and made a compromise with the S3700 which is a 9" platter.

i would arguee that that is based on marketing and 'gimmick' meaning people are stubborn and claim we need 12 inches but do they really need them probably not
Panotaker 12:49 AM - 22 August, 2010
Well right now Numark doesn't have any competition with the NS7/V7. If they don't decide to make a NS12/V12, I bet some other manufacturer will, and if it is as good as the NS7/V7, Numark is going to have a problem..

I think we have a lot of new DJ's that have never played on turntables, but I think they are still the minoraty as far as pros go. I think there are still plenty of DJ's out there that would prefer a 12" platter. Now in another 5 or 10 years, things will probably change and we will probably have the majority of DJ's that have never spun vinyl and those guys probably wont care what size platter they use, but I don't think we are there yet. So bring on the 12" NS12/V12, I for one will buy one.
Calzone 1:31 AM - 22 August, 2010
Ragman no disrespect to you either, but you're not seeing the forest for the trees here. Read my statements carefully. I'm not arguing for 7" over 12" -- I'm not even saying I don't like 12"... I'm just saying I'm having trouble swallowing the dogma that 12" is the magic size.

You're telling me that 12" is the ideal size. Not 16"? Not even 13"? How about 12.5"?

I'm just asking you to step outside the box for a minute and consider that the only reason you like a 12" vinyl surface is because you're used to it because that is the only way it's ever been for decades.

Once you've accepted that, then it's time to ask yourself, what if no one had ever invented vinyl records in the first place? What if you could invent the DJ artform from scratch right now, applying the full promise of modern digital magic to make it work ANY way you could dream of.

And you're telling me that two 12" circles spinning around at 33 rpm with a mixer pitch control and some EQ knobs is it? That's what you would come up with?
Ragman 2:31 AM - 22 August, 2010
That " 12" circle spinning around at 33 rpm with a mixer pitch control " came first. It is the instrument and the foundation to which turntablism spawned. Turntablism the artform did not come first and then a platter size was determined.
Calzone 3:04 AM - 22 August, 2010
Of course not. Without turntables a similar artform could not have sprung up until the advent of computers. You can't naturally mix, loop, sample, or juggle with tapes or CDs.

The closest artform to DJing that has existed prior is conductor of orchestras, which you could summarize as:

A talented visionary with a good sense for rhythm and musical feel and emotion who waves his hands to start, stop, and manipulate predetermined sounds generated external himself.

Yet what a huge gulf there is between the conductor's tools and the DJ's tools.

I give up trying to prod you. I've made my point clear as I can and surely many others have gotten it by now and don't care to read me belabor it. From where I'm sitting, it looks like you've chosen to limit your world view either out of habit or prejudice. I can understand the former, we all suffer from being slaves to habits, but you can't impose it on the rest of the world as the one true path. And the latter, being prejudiced, is indefensible imo.

Here's to the brave new world. Smooth and nicely weighted 7" platters is nothing but a transitory step designed to embrace as much of the existing market as possible while to clearly lighting up the path toward the future of real-time digital mixing.
Ragman 3:25 AM - 22 August, 2010
You know man, let's just respectfully agree to disagree with out the labels.
You rock your 7" and I'll rock my V7 and hopefully one day a V12. Cool?
KLH 5:39 AM - 22 August, 2010
Quote:
You haven't addressed my question about what makes 12" so much better than 10.5", 11", 13", 14" etc...

12" would be ideal IMHO simply because it is a form factor that vinyl-spinning DJs see as the definitive standard size - because ALBUMS were released on it. ALL of the skills involving manipulating sound sources in the DJing world as we know it is based on this size. Having an NS12 and a V12 should (IMHO) finally obsolete the turntable as the ultimate DJing tool... which it is today.

As for other sizes, they are irrelevant insomuch as there is very little media that uses them. Granted, there are 7" vinyl. But to most, that's not what "spinning vinyl" means. It means a full 12"... period. This shouldn't be a surprise and really isn't worth an academic argument. Turntablism was born from 12" platters. Until a controller can fit that profile, TTs will continue to exist - partially because of old-skool DJ stubborness, partially because of the anachronistic mystique of vinyl, and wholly because the media (MTV, movie, and commercials) pushes the notion that TWELVE INCH PLATTERS and a mixer are what real DJs use.

ITCH and Numark have a winner in the NS7 and V7 products. I think that they'd have an unquestioned home-run with NS12 and V12 products - even a premium price.

-KLH
Calzone 6:06 AM - 22 August, 2010
Quote:
partially because of old-skool DJ stubborness, partially because of the anachronistic mystique of vinyl, and wholly because the media (MTV, movie, and commercials) pushes the notion that TWELVE INCH PLATTERS and a mixer are what real DJs use.

Bingo.
czar 8:25 AM - 22 August, 2010
just for giggles.

"In the 1890s, the early recording formats of discs were usually seven inches (nominally 17.5 cm) in diameter. By 1910 the 10-inch (25.4 cm) record was by far the most popular standard, holding about three minutes of music or entertainment on a side. From 1903 onwards, 12-inch records (30.5 cm) were also sold commercially, mostly of classical music or operatic selections, with four to five minutes of music per side. "

"The 12-inch disc, introduced by Victor in 1903, increased the playing time to three and a half minutes.[17] Because a 10-inch 78 rpm record could hold about three minutes of sound per side and the 10-inch size was the standard size for popular music, almost all popular recordings were limited to around three minutes in length."

en.wikipedia.org
kraal 8:43 AM - 22 August, 2010
czar glad you found that -- the size is based on ideal playing time not ideal manipulation :)
DJ GaFFle 3:07 PM - 22 August, 2010
+1 on 12" platters.

Being a real DJ (yeah, I said it) coming from a turntable background, I was a little perturbed when Numark made the minuscule 7" platter for the NS7 BUT happy to get away from the added hookup time of TTs + mixers and their heavy weight. That being said, the Numark NS12/V12 must NOT be as heavy as a TT setup. Keep the sound AND component quality of the current NS7 but perhaps lighten things up, if possible.

I wouldn't care if the platters where 10". It would be an improvement of the current 7" size.
kraal 3:39 PM - 22 August, 2010
ok i think a few people would like the 12 inch platters .... however i doubt it would be a good product for numark to release..... mainly because the ns7 needs to hit a a larger market than just the 'i'm i real dj i need 12 inch platters' making 2 or 4 products (ns12 and v12) will cost more and sell less units of each.

i feel more people that are actually the NS7 market will NOT buy a 12 inch unit than will
the ones that will are the 'i need 12inchers'
the ones that wont mobile guys ( many already complain the ns7 is too big ), people that need to set up in a crowded booth, people that thinnk they rather use real turntables than fake ones, people who don't want to be stuck using itch.

good idea just not feasable in my opinion
Dj Beware 4:25 PM - 22 August, 2010
maybe the the "Real Dj's" need 12" platters to compensate for other things.................and yes its a joke please no flaming :)
DJ GaFFle 6:39 PM - 22 August, 2010
Quote:
maybe the the "Real Dj's" need 12" platters to compensate for other things.................and yes its a joke please no flaming :)

You must be one of those cornball DJs weened in on one of these things: www.google.com
kraal 7:21 PM - 22 August, 2010
dj's are the biggest bunch of crabs in barrels --- who cares what anyone dj's with?
to put it bluntly no mater how you look at it all a dj is doing is playing songs

this thread was not about 'i am a better dj than you cause i use this' it was about adding 12 inch platters to the numark itch family line.....
Dj Beware 7:21 PM - 22 August, 2010
lol its not the size of the platters its how you use them...:)
damehype 9:02 PM - 22 August, 2010
Quote:

to put it bluntly no mater how you look at it all a dj is doing is playing songs

In a nutshell, that's all we do
KLH 10:26 PM - 22 August, 2010
Quote:
this thread was not about 'i am a better dj than you cause i use this' it was about adding 12 inch platters to the numark itch family line.....

Well said, kraal. Back on Topic.

What's the biggest impediment for Numark to release such a beast? After thinking a bit about this, it might be Serato themselves. Having a V12 or NS12 may in fact threaten the SSL product by lowering demand for TTs.

I dunno. I wonder why Numark hasn't gone down this path yet...

-KLH
Calzone 10:51 PM - 22 August, 2010
Normally, I figure when anyone asks for X feature from a company, more power to them, even if I personally have no use for the feature. So in that sense, lump me in with the pro-12" platter crowd. I may find it a silly request, but people have dollars to spend and Numark has products to sell and this is a great forum for them to learn what people want to spend their dollars on.

But In this case, things are slightly different.

As much as I favor Numark hearing the votes in favor of 12" versions of their products, I don't want them to get the impression they somehow missed the mark with the 7" version. I encourage all of those happy with a 7" version, and who would moreover be unhappy with a 12" version if it were to replace the 7" version, to make their voices heard. Otherwise, who knows, Numark might decide they should abandon the 7" direction. They might make the 7" line more downscale, with less metal, more plastic, and a lower build quality and focus the premium quality and details on their 12" versions.

That would not be good.

The brilliance of the 7" lineup is that even as they are a slightly smaller form factor than the oldskool crowd is used to, the machines are heavy duty, with excellent build quality. They're arguably every bit the quality machine as a good professional turntable. Numark struck a balance between portability and convenience and true feel and quality. They succeeded big time.

Competing alternatives having a portable smaller form factor can't touch Numark's flagship lineup. You literally have to use SSL with real turntables to come close (and in the minds of the pro-12", surpass) to the smooth weighted feel.

All this is to say: Numark, if you're listening, don't get the impression that 12" is more worthy of your attention than 7" and end up relegating 7" to a consumer or prosumer ghetto. And Numark, if you're listening, take your portable market and find ways to make it better than traditional turntables could ever be. That's where the future is. And if you can do all that AND still make money putting out a 12" version of your NS7 or V7, then by all means, make those kids happy so they don't have to fear the might "get clowned with their the NS7" after all, right? (I kid, I kid ;)
damehype 2:50 AM - 23 August, 2010
Looks as though your prayers can come true!

Watchwww.youtube.com
damehype 2:51 AM - 23 August, 2010
Just need a lil human ingenuity... lol
Panotaker 3:02 AM - 23 August, 2010
I had already done the same exact thing.
KLH 4:35 PM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:
As much as I favor Numark hearing the votes in favor of 12" versions of their products, I don't want them to get the impression they somehow missed the mark with the 7" version.

+1; I agree with this entire post. Well said, Calzone.

Dammit, now I'm hungry... for a calzone.

-KLH
KLH 9:55 PM - 23 August, 2010
IF Numark were to actually build the NS12 and V12, I would hope that the effect buttons would be added to the NS12 and made better on the V12:

* One effect select rotary encoder - cycles through effects (like the NS7FX)
* Two buttons (for on/off and tap tempo)
* THREE rotary encoders (for depth and two parameters)

I would also hope that there'd be buttons for cues, loops, and samples. Maybe they are selectable as a cue, loop, or sample... hmmmm.

As for video, I don't know if anything extra is required - maybe an indicator light for when the selected track has video? I dunno. Need help on this one.

-KLH
kraal 10:55 PM - 23 August, 2010
[quote

As for video, I don't know if anything extra is required - maybe an indicator light for when the selected track has video? I dunno. Need help on this one.

-KLH
a midi assignable transition fader ... even if it is a mini one
czar 12:24 AM - 24 August, 2010
My request would be for the programmers to study video mixing, transitions, effects, and suck everything they can from all around.. which is not a huge ammount but worth taking notes off.

Then I would love for Serato to open a video website such as whitelabel for videos, call every record label and make it easy for indie artists to upload as well. and finally. I ask for quality videos. no videos promoting of drugs, sex, mistreatment of people/women/ethnicity, gold digging.

=] hey I guess asking is easy no? ;] but that's really what I would like. =]]]]]
czar 12:26 AM - 24 August, 2010
just pure old good music to enjoy life and dance =] In nyc its so hard to have a good time anymore. too much low class music around. beats and loudness have gained over quality. I wish, I wish that this would change. =]]]
kraal 12:27 AM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
just pure old good music to enjoy life and dance =] In nyc its so hard to have a good time anymore. too much low class music around. beats and loudness have gained over quality. I wish, I wish that this would change. =]]]

that is your goal as a dj is it not... provide the quality entertainment
czar 12:33 AM - 24 August, 2010
indeed it is Kraal. Then I guess I have to wish for venue owners and people in charge of hiring DJ's to take account of this. I honestly don't understand how far they expect to go by promoting bad quality music to gain sales. If it is true that perhaps they might be able to gain more money by serving a crow that only cares to get wasted I seriously believe that in the long run they will also face, heightened in-establishment violence and create an atmosphere that many people will choose not to be part of ending with the loss of business. so I think this is something serious to consider. =] alright im done hijacking the thread. =]]]]
DJ Urkel Dee 7:00 PM - 24 August, 2010
I can see 10" platters "NS10's" but with the V series "V12's" I can see that being possible:)

I would think the biggest issue would be room for all the functions... I guess removing the tone arm would add enough real-estate.
DJdaveZ 9:11 PM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
I can see 10" platters "NS10's" but with the V series "V12's" I can see that being possible:)

I would think the biggest issue would be room for all the functions... I guess removing the tone arm would add enough real-estate.

agreed
DJ GaFFle 1:12 AM - 25 August, 2010
Quote:
...too much low class music around. beats and loudness have gained over quality. I wish, I wish that this would change. =]]]

Since you're in NYC, tell P. Diddy, Jay-Z and Swizz Beatz to clean their garbage non-dynamic-range production up.
czar 2:05 AM - 25 August, 2010
I tried. Jay Z told me unsurprisingly. (go F* urself, I'm here to just make money. who cares about a couple of pregnant teen agers and if young kids quit school to do drugs and follow my false promises of success.) The other two are impossible to reach...
DJ GaFFle 2:12 AM - 25 August, 2010
Quote:
I tried. Jay Z told me unsurprisingly. (go F* urself, I'm here to just make money. who cares about a couple of pregnant teen agers and if young kids quit school to do drugs and follow my false promises of success.) The other two are impossible to reach...

LOL...
Calzone 2:40 AM - 26 August, 2010
Still a little primitive (laggy / not 100% real time), but this is a harbinger of the kinds of things we should expect from DJ controllers to come...

Watchwww.youtube.com
Ex 2:45 PM - 26 August, 2010
I dont care for the 12" platters but i would love the ns7 even more if it had a 4 channel mixer, the basic 2 as current then another 2 sliders and eq for aux in, then 2 cat5 etheret ports to link 2 v7s then with itch upgraded to support it or just for another 2 sources
KLH 3:33 PM - 26 August, 2010
^ Those would be great features, but include them in the NS12!

-KLH
kraal 7:14 PM - 26 August, 2010
Quote:
I dont care for the 12" platters but i would love the ns7 even more if it had a 4 channel mixer, the basic 2 as current then another 2 sliders and eq for aux in, then 2 cat5 etheret ports to link 2 v7s then with itch upgraded to support it or just for another 2 sources

thus the reason the v7 was released
KLH 10:16 PM - 26 August, 2010
Quote:
thus the reason the v7 was released

Touche.

The vision that I have is to plug two V12s + an NS12 into one computer so that four decks would work in ITCH on the same computer! You should also be able to do the four V12s (or V7s) to achieve the same thing.

-KLH
kraal 10:28 PM - 26 August, 2010
or make an ITCH 4 channel mixer that will work with 2 v7's
kraal 2:01 PM - 31 August, 2010
ok seeing jazzy jeff not come to grips with the 7 inch platters i guess that is a big plus 1 for the 12inch platters

Watchwww.youtube.com
czar 2:28 PM - 31 August, 2010
someone who is used to 12" will obviously have a learning curve, but it is a subject worth debating
Black Science 2:59 PM - 31 August, 2010
Wy does all this sound so familiar?
KLH 4:21 PM - 31 August, 2010
Quote:
someone who is used to 12" will obviously have a learning curve

I understand that the learning curve is 5m or less.

However, the question is if they think that their skills would be just as good on a 7" platter. I say no. Is it "good enough" for most? Sure. Is it a TT replacement for skratchers? I don't think so.

Maybe the answer is a "limited edition" NS12 and V12. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Eff the extra weight.

-KLH
bigdik magee 4:26 PM - 31 August, 2010
Yah I'd buy one too, but jesus that thing would have to come on wheels, and with it being that big they could at least fit some more sample/cue buttons or build-in the effects knobs/buttons. By the time your done doing all that you have a monster set that could be hard to fit in some clubs.

Still... I'd own both if they were available ;)

Would be neat if it was modular and the mixer and each deck would separate at the middle.

Things that make you go hmm.... -BDM
Calzone 4:28 PM - 31 August, 2010
Devil's advocate:

Had no one ever marketed the 12" and all we had was 7" all these years... would that have hampered DJing? Would it not have come into being?

Would there have eventually been a drive to make large platters and records for the express purpose of DJing? if so, what size would Djs have demanded?

Or would DJs have come into being just as today, except on 7" and if someone tried introducing a 12" digital product they would have complained that it was too big for gigs, or looked silly and cartoonishly huge?
kraal 4:47 PM - 31 August, 2010
lots of scratch dj's use 45's

i think the difference is the needle placement for scratching compared to the ... spindle controlling everything
Kmxorbit 6:09 PM - 31 August, 2010
On every story there is a counter story...
Jazzy Jef does not come to grips with the 7" platter...?
Well, Who actually cares?
I don't come to grips with 12" TT's after the using the V7's.
Hell, I don't even miss them at all...

You don't like 7"s platters? Then stay with the TT's.

Bottom line, Follow your own feelings and choose your gear wisely according to it...
kraal 6:16 PM - 31 August, 2010
[quote
You don't like 7"s platters? Then stay with the TT's.

but there is more to the difference in the v7 vs TT's that just platter size
Kmxorbit 6:19 PM - 31 August, 2010
exactly... and that's what probably Jazzy Jef didn't test here...
kraal 6:34 PM - 31 August, 2010
Quote:
exactly... and that's what probably Jazzy Jef didn't test here...

all i was refering to is the imediate coming from 12 inch platters to 7inch is an adjustment.... so if numark made a 12inch platter then maybe there would be more running out to get it than i first thought
czar 9:40 PM - 31 August, 2010
of course there is a difference. the movement on a 7" is tighter almost by half than 12"
DJ GaFFle 12:44 PM - 1 September, 2010
Quote:
of course there is a difference. the movement on a 7" is tighter almost by half than 12"

Big difference and a Huge adjustment. I played around with the 9" platter on the Denon 3700 when it first came out and it seems like a nice compromise in platter size.
KLH 2:54 PM - 1 September, 2010
Quote:
I played around with the 9" platter on the Denon 3700 when it first came out and it seems like a nice compromise in platter size.

I maintain that psychologically it's more beneficial to be able to "use" albums even if they're just merely cosmetic. It would make DJ's believe that it's a true TT replacement...

-KLH
czar 3:04 PM - 1 September, 2010
there is a mathematical issue as well not only psychological... I wont argue as too how important the difference might be in the end but there is a difference for sure.
KLH 3:33 PM - 1 September, 2010
OK - We're getting repetitive in here, so I'm going to switch it up. Assuming that there are more buttons (for effects and the hopeful sampler) AND the weight of the decks are equal to the Numark TTX, how much would you be willing to spend on the NS12 or V12?

For this discussion, let's avoid specific quotes (or retailers) but assume a range +/- $100 or so. Keep in mind that the average "street" price of the NS7FX is ~$1400 and the V7 is ~$800.

I personally would think that the NS12 (which is the 12" version of the NS7FX) should be priced at ~$2,000 new. The V12 should be priced at $1,200 new. These are "street" prices.

What do you guys think?

-KLH
czar 3:54 PM - 1 September, 2010
thats US$120 per extra inch of deck

can i have a 9"? I want to save US$360 lol
KLH 3:57 PM - 1 September, 2010
^ Well, while some may be fine with using only 7" or even 9", others are blessed with being able to work with a full 12". Awww yeahhhh...

Kinda "fits" with the "strip search" feature, huh?

-KLH
kraal 6:07 PM - 1 September, 2010
it has to remain cheaper than a turntable mixer set up.... if not well... it becomes pointless. same size same feel ect
KLH 6:35 PM - 1 September, 2010
^ OK. Let's decompose this:

Equipment list:
one new TT (TTXUSB): ~$500
one new CDJ (CDJ400): ~$800
new mixer (Rane Empath): ~$1,000
new Rane/Serato SL3: ~$750
new interconnect cables: ~$25
new interface/laptop stand (Uberstand): $75

CDJ based setup:
* 2x CDJs: $1,600
* Mixer: $1,000
* SL3: $750
* Cables: $25
* laptop stand: $75
* Total: $3,450

TT based setup:
* 2x TTs: $1,000
* Mixer: $1,000
* SL3: $750
* Cables: $25
* laptop stand: $75
* Total: $2,850

Everyone forgets about the DVS...

-KLH
KLH 6:38 PM - 1 September, 2010
^ Obviously, if you get higher end components (CDJ 2000/900, 1210M5G, DJM800, Sixty-Eight) the total goes up significantly.

Of course, if you go used, the number goes down... but this should be a "new" to "new" exercise.

-KLH
czar 7:14 PM - 1 September, 2010
2 v7 = 1200
1 x5 = 450
itch comes with it

total 1650
czar 7:29 PM - 1 September, 2010
1299 for the NS7+NSFX
KLH 1:33 AM - 2 September, 2010
^ ... and both are 7" platters....

-KLH
Ragman 1:56 AM - 2 September, 2010
V7 is now $600. I'd pay $900 for a V12. Anything more and I have to say nada.
kraal 2:05 AM - 2 September, 2010
Quote:
V7 is now $600. I'd pay $900 for a V12. Anything more and I have to say nada.

seriously 300 extra for just a different size platter?
Ragman 2:05 AM - 2 September, 2010
Yep
kraal 2:49 AM - 2 September, 2010
i guess that is my issue if both were on the market and 300.00 cheaper only differance is smaller platter ... i dont think the 12inch platters would be worth 300.00
Calzone 3:32 AM - 2 September, 2010
Given the weight and size of the NS7, I'd pay more for the NS7 for the luxury of having portability in weight and smaller form factor without sacrificing brilliant usability, than for an NS12 (assuming feature set, functionality and build quality were the same).

What would an NS12 offer that a Scratch Live setup doesn't?

Isn't there maybe a more persuasive argument to be made in favor of a needle-free Scratch Live turntable than there is for an NS12?
KLH 4:03 AM - 2 September, 2010
Quote:
What would an NS12 offer that a Scratch Live setup doesn't?

The same benefits that the NS7 and V7s have over SSL - internal mixing engine, beat-grid, and ultra precise synchronization between controller and deck.

Quote:
Isn't there maybe a more persuasive argument to be made in favor of a needle-free Scratch Live turntable than there is for an NS12?

It's called a CDJ.

-KLH
Panotaker 3:43 PM - 2 September, 2010
Since I have a pair of DN-S3700s, I am patiently waiting on the new firmware update that will add Hybrid Mode. It will basically turn the 3700s into behaving like V7s running SSL with 9 Inch platters. I will still probably like my NS7 better since you cant pitchbend on the 3700s by pressing on the platter. They have way too much torque.
DJ_NoVaCaiN 5:53 PM - 15 April, 2011
yes pleeeeaassseee GOD i would be all over a NS12
hologram 7:48 PM - 15 April, 2011
I would rather V12s and a Mixer that could do 4 tables two laptops.
Only make a NS12 if it doesn't weigh the same as two 1200s
And yes I would be all over them. I probably would even stop bitching about video....maybe
Djkom 9:14 PM - 15 April, 2011
I would prefer a NS9/V9 with 9" vinyls, I think it's really the best compromise between size vs weight. For ITCH 2.0, It would also be great to have a brand new numark (or rane) ITCH mixer with:
- 2 ethernet connections to link 2 V7/V9 and be able to mix 4 channels
- 6 triggers for the new itch sp6 sampler
- Fx for others channels (master, mics, aux...)
...Etc

Recent Numark rebates on V7s let me think that a new Vx will come this year...
Djkom 9:15 PM - 15 April, 2011
Recent Numark rebates on V7s make me think that a new Vx will come this year...
kraal 9:46 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
Recent Numark rebates on V7s make me think that a new Vx will come this year...

nope its cause the ns6 will cut back on v7 sales
damehype 11:17 PM - 15 April, 2011
I wouldn't doubt it. Numark puts out a slew of products that could compete with each other for market share. See product lineup for proof
kraal 4:26 PM - 16 April, 2011
actually i was referring for the reason for the rebates.. as people wait for the ns6 there is a sales freeze so rebates to keep people buying
Djkom 8:46 PM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
actually i was referring for the reason for the rebates.. as people wait for the ns6 there is a sales freeze so rebates to keep people buying

I'm not sure that is the same market...V7 are more designed for vinyl lovers and ns6 for cdj lovers...I think those who hesitate are bedroom djs who just want to start djing...
kraal 9:34 PM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:

I'm not sure that is the same market...V7 are more designed for vinyl lovers and ns6 for cdj lovers...I think those who hesitate are bedroom djs who just want to start djing...

i think the market is broader than that -- i think it is people looking to start using itch or people moving to midi controllers
Djkom 8:27 PM - 15 May, 2011
Quote:
For ITCH 2.0, It would also be great to have a brand new numark (or rane) ITCH mixer with:
...Etc...

Can a Numark or ITCH team member tell us if it's technically possible or not ?
Thank you!
DJ BOBBYDEE 1:09 PM - 16 May, 2011
+1
Dj Ricky Redz 3:03 PM - 16 May, 2011
+1
Djkom 1:54 PM - 19 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
For ITCH 2.0, It would also be great to have a brand new numark (or rane) ITCH mixer with:
...Etc...

Can a Numark or ITCH team member tell us if it's technically possible or not ?
Thank you!

OH MY GOD, I just realize that NUMARK started this project with the X7 mixer !!!

Watchwww.youtube.com

This mixer has not been released maybe because of Serato certification...but I hope it will come back in the business !!!
Djkom 2:16 PM - 19 May, 2011
But I would expect a thinner mixer, no need extra FX or digital screen...
BadBoyChubs 2:29 PM - 19 May, 2011
Quote:
But I would expect a thinner mixer, no need extra FX or digital screen...

nah would look the same because then it made it like the ns7 where u can have assign it to the both channels on time and the screen it display for the FX that ur using.

X7 would be a mixer to recon with, remember the V7 was Build and bundle with Itch and the X7 was designed to work with the V7, and the where i think the problem is.

X7 will be a problem if it becomes a Itch product, Alot of djs will buy the mixer and want to use it wid CDJs and we all Know Itch will never allow that.
like i said last year the X7 can make V7 into a 4 deck on Itch if serato wanted to. serato do want that type of Kaos to tell people to use X7 u need the V7s
Kmxorbit 8:55 PM - 19 May, 2011
there are a lot of strong alternatives on the 4-channel mixer market, so the X7 will definitely have a hard to time to gain a place in the top selling charts, if it ever comes out...
DJ Boom Bap 10:50 PM - 19 May, 2011
+1 on 12" from me
Cypha Signals 6:49 PM - 13 November, 2012
They should know me by now. I've been blasting their Facebook about this for about a year and a half now. I already have $1500 set aside waiting for it.
Dj Ricky Redz 6:50 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
They should know me by now. I've been blasting their Facebook about this for about a year and a half now. I already have $1500 set aside waiting for it.

willing to sell my left arm when its released!! lol!
Cypha Signals 6:56 PM - 13 November, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

willing to sell my left arm when its released!! lol!

Word...
DJ GaFFle 11:31 AM - 18 November, 2012
I wouldn't sell my arm but I'd sell DJ Ricky Redz's for one. Give us at least a 9 or 10" spinning platter. (Nm)
DJ Trice 12:15 PM - 21 November, 2012
+1 for the NS12
elsupermang 4:07 PM - 21 November, 2012
I think a 9" would be a good size. The SC3900's platter felt pretty dang good when I tried it. The torque on it was sick too. Just didn't like all the plastic around the platter edges, that and no HID mode like Pioneers.
DJ GaFFle 6:26 AM - 23 November, 2012
+1... 9 or 10" spinning platters FTW.
DJ_EQmixxx 3:28 PM - 5 April, 2013
hahaha if numark only new what ns12 or v12 would do to the worlds best DJs can u imagine qbert or craze on something like that hahah maybe technic will just put out a serato1200 with no needle just signal out for all software " numark get with it believe me technical does that and bye bye nu mark hahha
FabulousFrequencies 5:48 PM - 5 April, 2013
hrm.. might be time to port some v7 internals over to a pair of 1200's and see what people think. Maybe a summertime project for me :)
d:raf 6:52 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
hrm.. might be time to port some v7 internals over to a pair of 1200's and see what people think. Maybe a summertime project for me :)

Might be easier (and cheaper) to use a pair of SL-DZ 1200's instead... more buttons, no tonearm, same motor.
FabulousFrequencies 6:59 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Might be easier (and cheaper) to use a pair of SL-DZ 1200's instead... more buttons, no tonearm, same motor.

I kinda liked those units. Aside from the quarks, i'm not sure why they didn't take off better. I was thinking a 1200 for the familiarity and pre-existing body. I wouldn't destroy them, but part everything down to the base and a few other things then fold a new cover to port the button assemblies over to laid out to my liking of course. Would be neat to see!
d:raf 7:04 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
I kinda liked those units. Aside from the quarks, i'm not sure why they didn't take off better.

Conspiracy! Watchwww.youtube.com
FabulousFrequencies 7:26 PM - 5 April, 2013
LOL! Nice find and amusing!
Cypha Signals 5:19 AM - 13 April, 2013
I wonder if they are even considering this...the 12" platter would complete the unit altogether, especially after the ns7 ii's. I can do with 2 decks, but I can go old school if need be with such small platters and I'm finding the need more often lately.
Cypha Signals 5:21 AM - 13 April, 2013
I wonder if they are even considering this...the 12" platter would complete the unit altogether, especially after the ns7 ii's. I can do with 2 decks, but I can't go old school if need be with such small platters and I'm finding the need more often lately.

*EDITED - IGNORE PREVIOUS POST