DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The real reasons no one wants to book you:

d:raf 12:03 AM - 21 May, 2012
www.quietentertainer.com

Quote:
The Real Reasons That No One Wants To Book You
December 28, 2011 By Quiet Entertainer 7 Comments

Today I have a guest post from Celeste AKA GalaxCgirl. Celeste performs as GalaxCgirl in Asheville, NC and the surrounding area where she combines her DJ set with live visuals. Celeste was actually sent to my post about booking your own live shows after she made a similar rant on her facebook page. (Thanks J-Mo!) She came to my site and left and comment. After talking with her a bit, I thought it’d be great if she could share her thoughts here. Below, Celeste shares her thoughts about how to make it easier to get booked by adding value to your music scene. Check it out here.

Enjoy the guest post and leave your feedback and comments below.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
So you wanna get booked to play? While I have never wanted to call myself a promoter, ok, I admit…I do make some bangin parties happen sometimes, lol. And I get A LOT of people hitting me up wanting me to book them so I can only imagine how many inquiries people who do call themselves promoters get.

So some things to consider as a random DJ asking to get booked:

Talent aside, there are a million other acts with extreme talent lining up to be booked so it only makes sense for someone who busts their ass with the blood, sweat, and tears of countless hours of real back breaking, hair splitting, finger numbing work to organize and promote a party, to book someone who appreciates the hard work and dedication it takes and will help the party go off beyond just dropping in for their scheduled set. Unless you are way huger than you think and attracting gobs of fanatics who can’t get enough of you by the mere whisper of your name, what can you do to enhance the party? What else do you bring to the table?

Do you have an online presence? Are you even promotable? If you have NOTHING online and don’t even promote yourself how can anyone else promote you? But if you’ve made it past that genius step and do have some kind of even tiny presence to be promoted, why should they promote you and tell all their people about you when they have a ton of friends who also want to be booked but who actually return the favor and do the same for them? Have you shown support? Display excitement for their events? Do you like their facebook pages? Follow them somewhere, anything?

Do you promote yourself and the events you are doing? Do you tell and invite all your friends, post the page, post the flyer, make comments like a professional hype man to get everyone and their mother going out of their minds with anticipation for the best party ever even if they have to drive from Alaska? Will you help hand out flyers at every show to every person despite the mean people who act like you are scum for trying to invite them to a party and put up posters in the freezing cold with your nose about to fall off while your fingers are frozen numb and almost bleeding from not being able to wear gloves as you slap up posters in every possible spot? Then will you go check on these posters and put them back up the next day after they’ve been covered up or the haters have torn them down? If you don’t do that you should at least post it on facebook thirty gazillion times. (QE’s note: Be careful not to burn out your fans & friends on Facebook.)

Do you have anything to add to the party besides your set? Gear, deco, lights, tents, graphics, anything? Will you come help set up speakers and subs that weigh more than an elephant before the party and will you be there at 6 in the morning or the next day to help pack them up even though you are more dead tired than a zombie with it’s head shot off?

Do you also throw parties so you can return the favor of the booking if said promoter is also a performer and would also like bookings? Or will you encourage other promoters you know to book them? Or do you write a blog that you could help out by doing a little write up? Or own a cake shop and could bring a cake? Or a print shop and could print some posters? What else do you have or do that you could apply to enhance the party rather than just using and riding along on others efforts?

Do you come and make the party more hype by sticking around for the other acts, starting up the dance floor early in the night, exuding a vibe of uber awesomeness to inspire everyone to have the time of their lives? Or do you just show up for your set like you’re the only one that matters and possibly play the same tracks the DJ right before you just dropped rather than immersing yourself and becoming one with the party?

Also in initial contact, it helps to be somewhat articulate and include enough info on yourself and what you do – don’t make them go searching for you. Provide links, clickable links -don’t make it hard to check you out when they’ve got a billion other DJs with way more hype and professionalism hoping to get booked.

If you are past the point of “paying your dues” (aka playing for free and doing opening slots over and over til you have a real fan base because you are beyond awesome)(which you might think that you are but you’re actually still not and the harsh reality is that it can take a few eternities sometimes despite how amazing you are), is your price reasonable and flexible? In a lot of cases the DJ should really be paying the promoter for promoting them not the other way around, lol. If you are not bringing a million tons of gear that takes a million hours to rig up and can just mosey in and just plug in like a billion other DJs, you can’t expect an over inflated amount or maybe even anything at all when there is a trillion other expenses to be met until you are someone who is actually attracting the numbers to pull in the amount you want. If you’re not doing something extra or you’re not super famous and someone is paying anything at all, consider yourself very lucky.

Anyways, honestly, just to be straight up, I much prefer to book people who first like my facebook page, have shown me support, love or have promoted me even if it’s only for their own selfish reasons of knowing that supporting me just enables me to support them better, acts who will promote their little hearts out with the understanding that the better the party does, the more fun they will have and better we all do…not people who only think of themselves but people who let the love flow both ways and are willing to put in actual work to party…and I’m sure this goes for most people who bust ass throwing quality events. People who bust ass like other ass busters who return the love as it gets tiring busting ass to carry other’s weight when there’s already so much to do…

Good luck and blessings to everyone and your endeavors. May we all be warriors of ultimate truth shining love and bringing nirvana to the world in everything we do…

Thanks to Celeste for adding her thoughts here. You can find Celeste aka GalaxC Girl at GalaxCgirl.com .
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:16 AM - 21 May, 2012
lol if your already doin all that why would you need her
Dj JesC 7:43 AM - 22 May, 2012
she can type.
DJ Remy USA 11:54 AM - 22 May, 2012
while this article is kool it is completely missing the essence of the art and turning everything you do as DJ into a world where it seems like your kissing ass just to get booked. Im down with getting referrals and promoting other peoples sounds and parties but what good does that do if Im not getting booked by them or playing there parties on a regular basis. This is what is wrong with the game you mean to tell me I have to devote all my efforts to another promoters party eventhough Im not getting booked by them just to have a chance at getting a booking. Yea right kiss my ass this is why dudes are playing for 50$ and getting played by promoters

I do agree with the part where it asks what you can add to the party. I totally agree that as a DJ you should have a following and some sort of fan base or listening base. I agree with all that but no DJ starts out with any of that and is looking for the opportunity to build that. Sometimes that involves playing free gigs and helping out others just to get on the decks and show what you got.

The article has good points but I think it paints the picture that a DJ has to kiss a promoters ass to get a booking if thats the case my bedroom is kool my 9-5 keeps my comfortable.
DJ Remy USA 11:57 AM - 22 May, 2012
The DJ should be paying the promoter to promote them GTFOHWTBS seriously unless you have some sort of contract where you pay the promoter to promote you and in turn you get booked for all the gigs plus payment for gigs. Who the hell is seriously paying a promoter to play thats not the way to do business your trying to buy your way to top rather than hustle and earn your right to be at the top.

This article has some bullshit in it
DJ Remy USA 12:02 PM - 22 May, 2012
plus this DJ chick has boobs the rules are totally different when you throw boobs into the equation. It cost about 350.00 to throw a party at a club if you a promoter thats it. You know how much money some of these guys make in one night? Anywhere for 1,000-20,000 in one night and they want to pay m 50$ the DJ is the party let a promoter try having a event with a DJ or some other sort of audio visual attraction and you have no party you can promote all you want. I feel the DJ deserve more respect with that being said we need to really have something official that separates DJs from just guys that press play ya dig...Im done my rant about her article
Logisticalstyles 1:20 PM - 22 May, 2012
Quote:
The DJ should be paying the promoter to promote them GTFOHWTBS seriously unless you have some sort of contract where you pay the promoter to promote you and in turn you get booked for all the gigs plus payment for gigs. Who the hell is seriously paying a promoter to play thats not the way to do business your trying to buy your way to top rather than hustle and earn your right to be at the top.

This article has some bullshit in it

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this BS. This article has about 1 or 2 good points and the rest is pretty stupid. I agree DJs need to promote themselves and any gig they are playing if they want to get out there, but promoting other peoples gigs when you're not even booked is just stupid.
phonze 3:20 PM - 22 May, 2012
Yeah I didn't want to be the first to say it, so I'm glad you guys did. I did not like that article at all.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:47 PM - 22 May, 2012
Im going to write an article saying to be a great promoter not only do you need to bring people in but you also need to bring music beat match select sings....and juggle
d:raf 12:53 AM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Who the hell is seriously paying a promoter to play

You'd be surprised. lol

I think that part is aimed more towards DJs that have no online presence, little-to-no "real world" experience and a tiny fanbase (which in this day and age makes up maybe 60% of the available DJ demographic pool); not DJs that have already put in work and developed a following. I've watched some guys who haven't been DJing for a month expect to get paid "full price" just to show up, play & leave.

Not saying I agree with 100% of what she's saying 100% of the time, but I can see different bits of it applying to certain situations (for instance, obviously the "hauling speakers" part doesn't apply if the venue already has a sound system).
GalaxC Girl 3:38 AM - 23 May, 2012
Oh hi you guys! I wrote above rant, how fun to see y'all loving it so much, hahaha ;)

I'd like to point out that it is not addressed to "Dear established, professional, well respected DJ", it is clearly addressed to "***RANDOM*** dj ***ASKING*** to get booked".

I thought the parts like "hauling speakers" made it evident that I was talking about parties beyond just regular mediocre club night in venues that cost only $350. While there's some venues that have cheaper prices or do sliding scale/split of the door, I'm also talking about clubs that cost a whole lot more than "$350" which one may also bring in extra sound, deco, performers, etc to make it extra awesome rather just another regular club night. And events that aren't necessarily in clubs, but outdoor where you have to worry about the entire fucking *everything* such as land permits, land prep, land rental, insurance, porta potties, tents, stage, PA system, lights, deco, generator, gas, fire, fire extinguishers, drinks, stripper poles (haha;) & so on and so on and so on. Not to mention that's, of course, all on top of graphics, printing, ect...

Sorry, but I'm not going to invest my limited money, time, energy and resources to totally bust my ass to the bone to book and promote and build up some little selfish dumbass shit muffin that doesn't give a shit or show any appreciation or respect when I could instead put awesome people on the lineup who do care and do help and do return the love. And if there's no one to fill the bill that will help out then I'll play the slot my own damn self 'cause that's why I'd do all that work in the first place - to play. That's the fun part. Why should I give away the fun part, much less PAY some little fucker with no recognition or pull that does nothing but GET to play and GET do the fun part?
Seems pretty logical and reasonable and easy to understand to me! But what do I know with my boobs n all. LOL.

As I confessed right off the bat, I don't claim to be a promoter. I am just a fellow act that sometimes makes events happen because I want to play & party at a crazy proper event once in a while :)

I think the childrens story "The Little Red Hen" should be required reading for everyone. Seriously.

Anyways, you are all most certainly more than welcome to your own point of views!
Carry on! :)
Dj Shamann 3:46 AM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Anyways, you are all most certainly more than welcome to your own point of views!

Just as long as those point of views coincide with yours, otherwise you'll condescend and act as if you're the only one who ever put in work before.

How long have you been DJing?
Papa Midnight 4:12 AM - 23 May, 2012
djnak 8:39 AM - 23 May, 2012
I dont do any of that shit...well Ill post where and when Im playing on fb and I make a ton if video mixes I post online. but everything else is the promoters job...thats what promoters get paid for.
ced_so_thoed 5:07 PM - 23 May, 2012
ay
You pay for talent. Rather if it is a noob or rookie. If that dj goes hard in the paint, pay that dj. Let them get on for free and do a set around other established djs and if they wreck shop and have the crowd in a butt naked frenzy on their first set, give them another slot and see if they can repeat. If so, pay them something after that night. Simple as that. If you are in a postion where you are charging beginner djs to play at venues like the one you described, you need to ask yourself why are you letting a dj like that play there for their first time or so.
#shoutsoutmyself
yep
DJ'Que 6:14 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
plus this DJ chick has boobs the rules are totally different when you throw boobs into the equation. It cost about 350.00 to throw a party at a club if you a promoter thats it. You know how much money some of these guys make in one night? Anywhere for 1,000-20,000 in one night and they want to pay m 50$ the DJ is the party let a promoter try having a event with a DJ or some other sort of audio visual attraction and you have no party you can promote all you want. I feel the DJ deserve more respect with that being said we need to really have something official that separates DJs from just guys that press play ya dig...Im done my rant about her article
shit what club you can get for $350. its usually $1k plus a $2500 to $5000 bar guarantee. then you got security to pay and street team.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:44 PM - 23 May, 2012
Lol I spin in a tiny bar that holds under 100 people and $350 wont even get you chicken wings to out out for your guests lol
phonze 8:32 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
I dont do any of that shit...well Ill post where and when Im playing on fb and I make a ton if video mixes I post online. but everything else is the promoters job...thats what promoters get paid for.

apparently DJ's need to do everyone else's job for them in order to get booked lol.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:09 PM - 23 May, 2012
I mean who in their right mind in 2012 would possibly book a dj who cant mix a good long island
ced_so_thoed 9:51 PM - 23 May, 2012
ay
DJ: How'd I do?

Promoter: You did good. Floor was packed. Bar stayed packed and you kept shouting out the bar specials and tip the bartenders and the shot girl. I liked that last set you did. Everybody was going nuts. We were over capicity tonight. Had to lie to the fire marshal when he wanted to shut us down.

DJ: Thanks. I was busting my ass up there and I'm dying of thirst. Couldn't get anyone to get me a bottled water but I'm good. I just packed up my gear and lights and I helped the sound guy pack his stuff up too. Anything else I can do before I leave?

Promoter: Nope. You can leave. thanks for helping him out. He always needs a hand.

DJ: Do I get paid tonight?

Promoter: No *with why in the fuck did you ask that tone and face*

DJ: Why not? It was a great night?

Promoter: Yeah it was a great night but all you did was dj. It ain't like you came up here early to run wire and cables. Shit, you didn't even clean the bathrooms.

DJ: What?

Promoter: You haven't paid dues yet to get paid. Yeah you can mix, scratch and keep the party going. But you got to show that you can do that every night I want you here, that's if I want you here. And you have to do more than just dj. You need come early to help with the bar. Make sure this place is clean. Tables have all the chairs. Speakers are set properly. Parking lot is clean. Shit you need to be on the street team. You need to be passing out fliers. Putting up posters. Doing e-mail blasts. Facebook and Twitter blasts. You don't get paid to dj, you get paid to make sure the club makes money.

DJ: But didn't I help the club make money tonight?

Promoter: You know I told you you can leave. I should have charged you to dj for me. You ain't anybody special. You ain't Jazzy Jeff. You ain't A-Trak. You ain't nothing but a dime a dozen dj. Poof. Be gone with you. The nerve of djs these days wanting to get paid just because they had a good night.

*DJ becomes emo singer and dresses up like a vampire*
yep
d:raf 10:48 PM - 23 May, 2012
Just to stir the pot a little... what if the DJ's in question don't use turntables or CDJs?
GalaxC Girl 11:06 PM - 23 May, 2012
Lol.
If anyone identifies themselves as "a *random* DJ *asking* to get booked" and needs to take this personally and get all defensive, then I guess that just says something about them, doughnut?

OF COURSE any legit performer should get paid for doing a job *especially* if there are profits. If there are real profits, they should even get a bonus.

While there are some nasty, underhanded promoters who embezzle all the profits (one time a promoter, who booked me -I did not asked to be booked- paid me $6 and said the bartender ran away with the few thousand in profits from the night -that shit is lame as fuck, of course) >>>BUT in many other cases, the "promoter" is not "getting paid". They are the ones paying - busting ass harder than anyone, building up other peoples careers, giving all the profits to everyone and thing else to basically come out making nothing for themselves except the joy of knowing they provided a really good time for a lot of people and took care of everyone as best they could. Maybe even paid out of pocket to ensure the best of times for everyone. (Have a little respect, geeze!)

When I'm organizing an event, paying for everything from my meager, sometimes overdrafted bank account - from venue to fliers to a headliner's plane ticket, deposit, fee, extra massive sound, quality lineup, etc etc etc and I've got a bunch of random ass DJs begging to be added to the lineup; who am I going to pick? HMMMMMMMM. So difficult, gosh, can't decide, hmmmmm, the guy who supports me & appreciates me giving him a chance/his start & is happy & willing to go the extra mile to help out a little orrrrr the guy who doesn't do shit and thinks he's God's DJ gift to the world even tho he's only had none or maybe 2 tiny gigs and no one knows the fuck he is? Hmmmm, which one should I chooose!?! GOSH, soooo hard to decide! LOL. HA, yeah, right.

And I've never had a DJ pay to play - I was just SAYIN'. lol.

C'mon now.
Anyone who's ever been part of throwing a (quality) event knows what I'm saying.
I got TONS of GREAT feedback on this rant from all over the world when Quiet Entertainer blogged it. There's has to be a few people here beside d:raf who get it. :)
Dj Shamann 11:09 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
When I'm organizing an event, paying for everything from my meager, sometimes overdrafted bank account - from venue to fliers to a headliner's plane ticket, deposit, fee, extra massive sound, quality lineup, etc etc etc and I've got a bunch of random ass DJs begging to be added to the lineup; who am I going to pick? HMMMMMMMM. So difficult, gosh, can't decide, hmmmmm, the guy who supports me & appreciates me giving him a chance/his start & is happy & willing to go the extra mile to help out a little orrrrr the guy who doesn't do shit and thinks he's God's DJ gift to the world even tho he's only had none or maybe 2 tiny gigs and no one knows the fuck he is? Hmmmm, which one should I chooose!?! GOSH, soooo hard to decide! LOL. HA, yeah, right.

What a martyr.

Quote:
Dj Shamann 11:31 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Anyone who's ever been part of throwing a (quality) event knows what I'm saying.

I throw great quality events all the time and unfortunately I don't know what you're saying. Everything you're talking about comes with the territory, right now you just sound like someone who wants to pat themselves on the back for doing something event organizers have done since the dawn of time.

Quote:
"In a lot of cases the DJ should really be paying the promoter for promoting them not the other way around"

You act as if it's them who owes YOU a favor for playing YOUR party. You want people to lift speakers and promo YOUR shit with no guarantees that you'll ever book them again, all the while they're promoting YOUR brand and helping it to become known by helping out with your small time productions (and yes you are small time if you're still relying on people to do the shit you ask them to do). No honey it's YOU that should be paying them since at the end of the day it's YOU who's going to get the recognition and cred next time YOU throw a show with or without them.

Get over yourself

Quote:
"what can you do to enhance the party? What else do you bring to the table?"

I dunno, how about playing good music?

Quote:
Hmmmm, which one should I chooose!?! GOSH, soooo hard to decide! LOL. HA, yeah, right.

Then don't book them, you're obviously not in the position to book people based on talent since you still need free employees, but in the mean time take yourself off the cross and spare us the theatrics.

Quote:
I got TONS of GREAT feedback on this rant from all over the world when Quiet Entertainer blogged it.

And where do you think people from this forum are from? The only difference is I see 3 people commenting on Quiet Entertainer's blog vs. how many actual DJs in here?
ced_so_thoed 11:37 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
Just to stir the pot a little... what if the DJ's in question don't use turntables or CDJs?

ay
then that dj wouldn't be doing my event if I was booking.
yep

Quote:
Lol.
If anyone identifies themselves as "a *random* DJ *asking* to get booked" and needs to take this personally and get all defensive, then I guess that just says something about them, doughnut?

ay
I don't know *Kanye shrug*
yep

Quote:

OF COURSE any legit performer should get paid for doing a job *especially* if there are profits. If there are real profits, they should even get a bonus.

ay
well if you would have said that in the first place we wouldn't be here daggumit
yep

Quote:

While there are some nasty, underhanded promoters who embezzle all the profits (one time a promoter, who booked me -I did not asked to be booked- paid me $6 and said the bartender ran away with the few thousand in profits from the night -that shit is lame as fuck, of course) >>>BUT in many other cases, the "promoter" is not "getting paid". They are the ones paying - busting ass harder than anyone, building up other peoples careers, giving all the profits to everyone and thing else to basically come out making nothing for themselves except the joy of knowing they provided a really good time for a lot of people and took care of everyone as best they could. Maybe even paid out of pocket to ensure the best of times for everyone. (Have a little respect, geeze!)

ay
You choose what you want to be in the night life business. You want to make a lot of money in one night? You have options. Strip, sell your ass, sell other people's ass, sell dope, or promote. If you choose to promote, you know there is a big chance you may not make any money and may end up losing money. that's the nature of the beast. You knew the water was wet before you jumped off in it so you can't ask for pity when you end up soak and wet. Meaning if you lose money from booking events, you can't ask for a break when you end up owing money. Money either stacks or changes hands in business. Ain't a situation where money has sympathy. That's how ass gets whipped. Seen it happen before to promoters. You want everybody to have a good time? Great. That doesn't mean I'm going to cut you a break. If you owe money you owe money. Ain't nothing else to be understood. If you can't pay money, then you give what I want if there is no contract. You know how it goes.
yep

Quote:

ay
first of fuckin all... why are these random ass djs running up to you like that? You must make it seem like anyone and everybody can get on if they are that comfortable of approaching you to get on for a set. I can understand if it's like a 24 hour event and you need someone to play in the dead slots like 7AM to 11AM and 3PM to 8PM. But if you doing events like what you are talking about, I'd be contacting djs, not responding to random djs. You get what I'm saying? If you doing a Jay-Z concert, you won't have random hood rapper coming up to you to ask if he can open up. He would already know that he's not ready for that. Same thing for a dj'd event. If Jazzy Jeff and A-Trak are doing an event, most random djs know better to try to open up for them. They'd get boo'd off the stage with tomatoes thrown at them. You shouldn't even entertain the option that you'd pick one. You should make the selection because that will come back on you if you select a wack dj and folks will remember that dj and the person that put the event together. I'm just saying boo.
yep

Quote:

And I've never had a DJ pay to play - I was just SAYIN'. lol.

ay
well now we fuckin know
yep

Quote:

C'mon now.
I got TONS of GREAT feedback on this rant from all over the world when Quiet Entertainer blogged it. There's has to be a few people here beside d:raf who get it. :)

ay
well tell them I said stop smoking that boo boo. And I'm not coming off offensive to you. Just got to get things in where they fit. Know what I'm talking about?
yep
GalaxC Girl 11:41 PM - 23 May, 2012
FYI, I usually ignore people's petty, fatuous, mean-spirited comments/questions.
I have absolutely nothing AT ALL to prove to people like that. Go on witcha bad self.

There's more than enough extremely accessible information all about me online that anyone can find if they are actually seriously interested.
Dj Shamann 11:44 PM - 23 May, 2012
Who's being petty or mean spirited? We're talking plainly and up front as professionals. You want to offer up your expert advice online, be prepared for criticism. Just don't expect to be taken seriously when you can't handle valid points that don't coincide with your notion of how the event business works.
Dj Shamann 11:51 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
There's more than enough extremely accessible information all about me online that anyone can find if they are actually seriously interested.

Why can't you just answer the question?

Quote:

Why do I have to track YOU down when you're the one expecting us to take your expertise seriously?

And all I see online is a link from a freebie website that leads to an article from last year that implies that you just started Djing yourself. So again, why should young DJs heed your advice?

Welcome to a real forum with actual DJs GalaxC, people are going to tell you if they think you're spreading bad information to young DJs trying to break into the market. Young DJs that you apparently wouldn't give a shit about anyway unless they can help you.

LOL @ needing a following to be booked, how the hell are these kids supposed to get a following if people like you won't book them unless they agree to be your personal employee?
GalaxC Girl 11:52 PM - 23 May, 2012
I think this forum is mainly mainstreamish club DJs rather than freaky, underground burner renegade festy type DJs... that's totally cool but totally different dynamics...

I never claimed to be an expert or "big time", lol. Totally small time in my small city. If anyone hates what I'm sayin, it's cool, you don't have to work with me! This was just my own opinion for those who are interested.

Yes, random DJs hit me up and I love giving cool people their first chance because I'm a nice person. I've given many, many people their first gigs AND paid them their first gig payments.

If you seriously can't find any good advice or can see how it could be good advice for "RANDOM DJ's ASKING to get booked", then oh well. I'm glad for the people who found it to be useful.
Dj Shamann 11:54 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
I think this forum is mainly mainstreamish club DJs rather than freaky, underground burner renegade festy type DJs... that's totally cool but totally different dynamics...

Then once again, you're wrong. But way to judge.
Dj Shamann 11:59 PM - 23 May, 2012
Quote:
This was just my own opinion for those who are interested.

Then next time say that, instead of acting like these people aren't worth your time (a new DJ herself) unless they play by your rules.

The internet is a blessing and a curse at the same time. The amount of information at our fingertips is great, unfortunately a lot of it is bad information from overnight authorities with a false sense of entitlement.
GalaxC Girl 12:15 AM - 24 May, 2012
Isn't it pretty self evident that peoples rants are their own opinion? Why would I need to state the blatant utter obvious? I posted it on my personal facebook page and *someone else* thought it was awesome and useful enough to post on their blog. Yay. :) I never submitted it to anywhere, especially not "ExpertDJadvice.com", lol!

I didn't even post it here. D:raf just wanted some entertainment. Pretty funny, d:raf! LOL
dj_soo 12:34 AM - 24 May, 2012
speaking as someone who does do burner festival type gigs, the attitude you have is common, but it's still pretty shit.

It's actually the reason I do a lot of shitty mainstream gigs these days since it's so hard to actually get paid for these shows that are raking in hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars and it's directly a result of DJs like you whom have been brainwashed enough to think it's ok not to book performers - let alone pay them - unless they do a shit ton of extra, free work.
d:raf 12:36 AM - 24 May, 2012
Dj Shamann 12:37 AM - 24 May, 2012
And this is our opinion, why is it okay for you to voice yours but when we do it's something else?

We were discussing the topic with or without you since it relates to DJing. Many disagreed with your points.

Then you came into the thread painting yourself up as a martyr in front of other professionals and again, people stated their own opinions.

And you can LOL all you want about ExpertDJadvice.com but you're the one who feels like you're experienced enough to rant about what DJs should or shouldn't be doing (even though you just started Djing yourself). I don't care where you posted it, you're in HERE now discussing it.

Any time you post anything anywhere online and make it accessible to the public it may or may not draw criticism from others that disagree. And once you continue to engage in the discussion, well you're a big girl you can figure out the rest.

Quote:
I never submitted it to anywhere[/quote[

As soon as you allowed it to be a featured article online under the title "The Real Reasons That No One Wants To Book You" (a very matter of fact title that implies some sort of authority) it voided any excuse that you're trying to make now.
Dj Shamann 12:37 AM - 24 May, 2012
*Quote fix*

Quote:
I never submitted it to anywhere

As soon as you allowed it to be a featured article online under the title "The Real Reasons That No One Wants To Book You" (a very matter of fact title that implies some sort of authority) it voided any excuse that you're trying to make now.
Jesus Christ 12:56 AM - 24 May, 2012
What the fuck is a GalaxC Girl? Who let the promoters in here? GTFOHWTBS!

So... let me get this straight. She posted her omniscient opinion (after a whole year of DJing) online. And then someone copied and pasted it on their blog (don't know if they respected her opinion or were clowning her). Then D:raf did the same thing here (obviously for us to get a good chuckle out of). She creates a user account on Serato.com and posts replies. We question her credentials. Then SHE gets butthurt over accusations that she doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about???

Oh... OK then.

Color me shocked!
Papa Midnight 1:06 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:

Quote:

ay
then that dj wouldn't be doing my event if I was booking.
yep

*Takes his NS7 and goes home, despite the fact he fully can use Turntables and CDJs without issue.*

LoL. Sold my TT's and mixer when I got my NS7. No, they were not Technics or Stanton 100's or, believe me, I'd still have them.

But, I've also learned a good lesson in even my relatively short time (compared to some of you who have been in this game for 20+ years) in the DJ game: Just because someone walks in and has a set of TT's or CDJ-2000's and a Pioner DJM-900 does not mean they are a good DJ (let alone a half-decent DJ) and sometimes can't even do a basic mix. Ever seen "It's All Gone Pete Tong"? At least he could mix before he lost his hearing... what's their excuse?

Quote:
Quote:

ay
You choose what you want to be in the night life business. You want to make a lot of money in one night? You have options. Strip, sell your ass, sell other people's ass, sell dope, or promote. If you choose to promote, you know there is a big chance you may not make any money and may end up losing money. that's the nature of the beast. You knew the water was wet before you jumped off in it so you can't ask for pity when you end up soak and wet. Meaning if you lose money from booking events, you can't ask for a break when you end up owing money. Money either stacks or changes hands in business. Ain't a situation where money has sympathy. That's how ass gets whipped. Seen it happen before to promoters. You want everybody to have a good time? Great. That doesn't mean I'm going to cut you a break. If you owe money you owe money. Ain't nothing else to be understood. If you can't pay money, then you give what I want if there is no contract. You know how it goes.
yep

...and it's exactly that reason my contract states that you pay UP FRONT or I don't play. My clients know good and well that I'm there to work and will give you the best show for your money. That's my job - to keep the client happy. You can pay the venue, the security, the bar, etc. Don't BS me and say you didn't make enough money that night to pay me or some other mysterious act occurred that was "beyond" your control. I did my job, do yours. Your job is to pay me for doing my job. That's one of the aspects of promoting; and like was said earlier, sometimes there is risk involved. I've DJ'd parties where the promoter was promoting the party as being packed and (of course, as usual) the biggest party of the year that you won't ever want to miss - yet all of 10-20 people show up all night.

I'm sure the other DJs here will agree with this: We don't care how many people show up on the night, We'll play for 1 person like 1000 are there. That's our job to do. Likewise, we still do expect our full rate. We don't want to hear "I/we didn't make enough off the door so I/we can't pay you".

Quote:

You don't need to get defensive or use sarcasm to make your point. We get it. We've all busted our asses to get where we need to go in this business. But I think you should seriously take note of what Remy had to say earlier (serato.com). That's just my opinion. That said, we've got to be clear about what you mean by going the extra mile. I'm a mobile DJ most of the year. I do club gigs, but I primarily work mobile. The following is a pure hypothetical (but tends to happen a lot to mobile DJs such as myself): a promoter has rented out a venue for an event. At the last minute, the DJ they'd hired had a personal emergency and can't make it so the promoter contacts you. The DJ agrees to do it. The venue has poor sound (sup, DMV) and needs the DJ to bring speakers. In addition, the DJ is bringing lights as well since the venue has none, but the promoter knows this DJ does, and would like him to bring some (the other DJ would not have brought any lights). So the DJ is 50 miles away, one-way (sup again, DMV!), and has to load up their vehicle with speakers, lights, truss, stands, multiple flight cases (or a single coffin-style case), etc. Then the DJ gets there and has to unload all the equipment their self, set it up and rig it their self, then actually play. When the event is over, they have to break everything down their self, load up their vehicle their self, drive 50 miles back, unload their vehicle again and store their equipment. He just rocked your crowd, shouted out you and your promotional team, shouted out and made sure the crowd tipped the bartenders (and they were tipped well), and sent everyone home with a smile on their faces. Security didn't even have to deal with any mess all night. So what now?

ced_so_theod isn't so unreasonable with his point (serato.com) now is he?

Quote:
Quote:
Lol.

ay
I don't know *Kanye shrug*
yep

Watchwww.youtube.com
Quote:
She posted her omniscient opinion (after a whole year of DJing) online. And then someone copied and pasted it on their blog (don't know if they respected her opinion or were clowning her). Then D:raf did the same thing here (obviously for us to get a good chuckle out of). She creates a user account on Serato.com and posts replies. We question her credentials.

JC's been rather... err... vicious lately (serato.com - yeah, Bezzle, I can pull old post too! :P), but he makes a good point and it reflects the general opinion of those DJs here who have read and responded to your post. No matter how you've attempted to explain it, the term "Random Ass DJ" comes off with a very condescending tone. Personally, it doesn't even raise a minor blip on my radar (do you know how many DJs and promoters there are in the DMV alone? LoL), but I can see how others might have an opinion...
GalaxC Girl 1:19 AM - 24 May, 2012
Lol. Wow, you guys are high strung in here.
I never ever said you couldn't have your opinions. Have at it! Rip it to shreds! woowee! Just cuz I tried to reiterate a little more clearly what I meant doesn't mean I'm "butthurt", sorry to disappoint you, my butt doesn't hurt, it feels quite nice.

Yes, I signed up to say heyyyy..but don't worry, I doubt I'll stay long. I don't like forums where people are so mean and get off so hard on arguing about everything.

"random ass DJ" isn't meant to be condescending, just real.
d:raf 1:27 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
Then D:raf did the same thing here (obviously for us to get a good chuckle out of).

Actually I posted it here 'cause I know many of you guys are easily riled :D.
Jesus Christ 1:30 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
I never ever said you couldn't have your opinions. Have at it! Rip it to shreds! woowee! Just cuz I tried to reiterate a little more clearly what I meant doesn't mean I'm "butthurt", sorry to disappoint you, my butt doesn't hurt, it feels quite nice.

Yes, I signed up to say heyyyy..but don't worry, I doubt I'll stay long. I don't like forums where people are so mean and get off so hard on arguing about everything.

onfinite.com
Jesus Christ 1:34 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
JC's been rather... err... vicious lately (serato.com - yeah, Bezzle, I can pull old post too! :P), but he makes a good point and it reflects the general opinion of those DJs here who have read and responded to your post. No matter how you've attempted to explain it, the term "Random Ass DJ" comes off with a very condescending tone. Personally, it doesn't even raise a minor blip on my radar (do you know how many DJs and promoters there are in the DMV alone? LoL), but I can see how others might have an opinion...

Hmmm.. 2 DJs with a year of experience dispensing advice. Wonder why my goat was got? :)

onfinite.com
Dj Shamann 1:45 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:

So when you do it, it's being "real", but when we do it, we're being "mean"?

Nah I think I've said all I had to say with this one, she's not listening to one word of it. And why would she, she's only amongst industry peers.

Some of those peers on these boards having years (and years) experience on her, industry peers that could actually help her out if she wasn't so full of herself.

But nah... we're just being mean.
Jesus Christ 1:49 AM - 24 May, 2012
Yeah... we're high strung, disappointed, mean and we get off hard (LOL) on arguing about everything.
GalaxC Girl 2:35 AM - 24 May, 2012
Haaaha, sorry but I feel no shame that I haven't been DJing for eons as a now crusty old angry DJ bitching about no one using vinyl anymore. Also, sorry, I'm not a DJ - I do DJ+VJ performances and am very happy with the amount of success I've had in the short 2+ years I've been at it.

Age and number of years can be a factor pertaining to some people in some situations but it sometimes has little to do with natural talent, skills, intelligence, etc. I would think you guys would know that by now if you've been at it for so long.

I only put more stress on the "random DJ" term because you guys obviously missed who it was addressed to and were freaking out as if the whole thing was directed at all DJs...

d:raf is right, y'all get super easily riled up in dis bitch, lol!!!
Too many gigs where you have to put up with stupid requests from girls in high heels and douchy drunk dudes showing off their muscles instead of a bunch of blissed out freaks dancing hard & writhing around in ecstasy to your music? Awwww, maybe you need a hug! XOXOXO
GalaxC Girl 3:02 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
speaking as someone who does do burner festival type gigs, the attitude you have is common, but it's still pretty shit.

It's actually the reason I do a lot of shitty mainstream gigs these days since it's so hard to actually get paid for these shows that are raking in hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars and it's directly a result of DJs like you whom have been brainwashed enough to think it's ok not to book performers - let alone pay them - unless they do a shit ton of extra, free work.

Aww man, you've done burner events and you think that TEAM SPIRIT and helping to make shit happen and helping to build something together is a shitty attitude? Huh?
(Have you actually ever set up a theme camp? Like a big sound camp theme camp? It's as not fun to do if your crew consists of people who don't put in work to play and want to just sit around while everyone else does all the work and they'll just play.)

I nevvvvvvvver said that if someone is MAKING money off an event that people shouldn't be paid, my gawwwd! If I'm doing an event, even when acts offer to come play for free and expect no pay, I always try to pay them & everyone involved as much as possible even if it's not much. And hopefully add bonuses as well.
But you can be sure that when profits are split up that it is well kept in mind who helped more and who barely did shit to lift a pinky finger to help. And who is going to get future bookings over others. Sorry, that just seems fair as fuck to me.

And if I'm booking a reputable DJ and signing a contract I would never book them without being able to pay them out of pocket no matter how well the party did or didn't do. Paying a legit DJ an *agreed* amount as promised has nothing to do with this.

I think some of you are totally taking this all in the wrong way. :/
I hope I'm not completely wasting my time here.... :P
Dj Shamann 3:31 AM - 24 May, 2012
LOL @ you trying to turn it around as if everyone's an angry old Dj because nobody agrees with your statements about organizing events. You know your argument is weak when.

Quote:
Also, sorry, I'm not a DJ - I do DJ+VJ performances

Which is why you of all people have no business talking about what a Dj should be doing to get booked. The truth is GalaxC, you're the random ass DJ in the room.

Quote:
I feel no shame that I haven't been DJing for eons

Really? How many times did I ask you how long you DJ'd for until you finally answered, oh that's right, you never did until now. Yeah, no shame in your game LOL

Quote:
I haven't been DJing for eons as a now crusty old angry DJ bitching about no one using vinyl anymore

One of the funniest things I've read in this thread so far, coming from the girl who not only bitched and complained enough to write the rant that this particular thread is about, but actually joined the board just to tell us about her over drawn bank account.

Quote:

You are if you're not going to listen to anything anybody has to say.

You're on a forum full of people who have been in the industry, a lot of us just use it to fart around and crack jokes, and you can talk about whether skills and intelligence mean anything all you want, but there is still experience in this room. From the second that article was posted to the first time you came to defend yourself, it was obvious you don't have very much.

Instead of being such a bubblehead, why don't you actually listen to what some people are saying in this thread since the big stick up your ass is DJs and you're in a room full of... that's right, DJs!

You might actually learn how to make throwing events easier (like how to find a crew that won't sit around all day) as well as getting DJs to work with you better.

Ground breaking I know, but try giving it a shot sometime, it might actually do you some good. I know you think you're oh so different and on the edge while we're just douchey club dwellers, but there's a lot of experience floating around these boards who have been there, done that while you're still stuck on first year problems.

And with that, I'm out. You guys have fun. ;)
Jesus Christ 3:54 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
And with that, I'm out. You guys have fun. ;)

^this!
GalaxC Girl 3:56 AM - 24 May, 2012
Hahaha, assume all you want..just because I've only been doing audio/visual performance for a certain time you have no idea how long or how much experience I've had "in the industry".
If you had anything nice and helpful to say I would certainly consider your opinions. But you just seem plain mean for the sake of being an ass.

I fully accept and admit that I am a "random" in this forum and all over the world, no biggie. I'll post from my facebook page when I want recognition from people who love me, lol.

Quote:
Nah I think I've said all I had to say with this one

and then blah blah blah blah blah

Quote:
And with that, I'm out. You guys have fun.

Hope you're for real this time. Bye!
Love, Bubblehead
dj_soo 4:11 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Aww man, you've done burner events and you think that TEAM SPIRIT and helping to make shit happen and helping to build something together is a shitty attitude? Huh?
(Have you actually ever set up a theme camp? Like a big sound camp theme camp? It's as not fun to do if your crew consists of people who don't put in work to play and want to just sit around while everyone else does all the work and they'll just play.)

I nevvvvvvvver said that if someone is MAKING money off an event that people shouldn't be paid, my gawwwd! If I'm doing an event, even when acts offer to come play for free and expect no pay, I always try to pay them & everyone involved as much as possible even if it's not much. And hopefully add bonuses as well.
But you can be sure that when profits are split up that it is well kept in mind who helped more and who barely did shit to lift a pinky finger to help. And who is going to get future bookings over others. Sorry, that just seems fair as fuck to me.

And if I'm booking a reputable DJ and signing a contract I would never book them without being able to pay them out of pocket no matter how well the party did or didn't do. Paying a legit DJ an *agreed* amount as promised has nothing to do with this.

I think some of you are totally taking this all in the wrong way. :/

I've done plenty of pro bono gigs as well as plenty of gigs where I help out my boys with throwing, setting up, and running events as well as throwing my own events without getting paid..

What I don't expect is that anyone who expects to play *has* to help out before they get the booking - especially if money is being charged. If I'm throwing a community event, it's fully known that it's a community event and djs understand we're doing it for the community and not to make money.

What I don't do is go on the internet and tell people that in order to get booked, they need to work for free. There is a time and place for everything and I've been to, played for, and seen many massive 10,000 + person events charging $200+ for tickets and they aren't paying all their DJs at all and worse, expecting people to come and work for free before they get to play for free which is completely unforgivable. The problem is that kids thnk this is perfectly ok in the name of "building a community" and "doing it for the music" and are so desperate to have the big booking, they're willing to fuck it up for most of us working DJs that are trying to make a living doing what we love.
GalaxC Girl 4:50 AM - 24 May, 2012
Well then, DJ Soo, I'm not sure what it is we don't agree about.

You've done gigs where you helped out your boys throwing it? Then don't you think it's fair that they would choose to book you instead of some little shit who doesn't help? And if they did book you AND some lil shit who didn't do anything to help, then wouldn't you expect to get a more appropriate cut of the profits or be prioritized to be paid before the no-help-at-all-barely-even-posted-it-on-facebook DJ?

I never said anyone should work for free! Gaaa! I said the better the event does, the better we all do -meaning the more everyone can get paid.
And I'm not talking about big ass events with huge flowing budgets. I'm talking about real people, small budget, underground parties. Obviously.
dj_soo 5:42 AM - 24 May, 2012
[qoute]You've done gigs where you helped out your boys throwing it? Then don't you think it's fair that they would choose to book you instead of some little shit who doesn't help? And if they did book you AND some lil shit who didn't do anything to help, then wouldn't you expect to get a more appropriate cut of the profits or be prioritized to be paid before the no-help-at-all-barely-even-posted-it-on-facebook DJ?

Actually, I help my boys (and girls) because they are my friends. I get booked because they think I'm a good DJ and want me to play at their parties or think I'm an established draw - not because I donated a bunch of free time/gear/labour.

Quote:
And I'm not talking about big ass events with huge flowing budgets. I'm talking about real people, small budget, underground parties.

you should make that clear in your "article" instead of just titling it "The real reason no one wants to book you"

Maybe instead it should be "the real reason I won't book you for my free/cheap community party that I'm not really expecting to make money for but hey, we're all in it for the music right?"

Hell, even titling it "tips on breaking into the underground scene" would be more appropriate.

Again, there is a time and place for these kind of events but making a rant that creates an all-encompassing "reason" that people don't get bookings is that they need to work for free and then having it "published" is more the point of contention here.

That said, even smaller events that charge any sort of cover or money should budget for their djs, and helpers - and they shouldn't necessarily be one and the same. Many festivals - big and small - have volunteer callouts allowing free entry in exchange for some work done - they don't rely on their DJs to do the work for them

Quote:
Obviously.

In the end, it certainly wasn't "obvious" what you were trying to say since you've had to come in here and explain what you meant to say multiple times.
GalaxC Girl 6:32 AM - 24 May, 2012
Weeeee, geeze, you guys like to have such great fun in here.

Uh, yeah some 'special' people need things explained to them better or multiple times. And even after that some people still don't understand, oh well.

Yeah, I agree that title was a bit harsh. I actually titled it something like "so you wanna get booked to play?" or something. I guess Quiet Entertainer thought it needed a harsher, more grabbing title. Big whoopydoodaa.
GalaxC Girl 6:38 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
We get it. We've all busted our asses to get where we need to go in this business

Seriously? Really? What cities or planets are you guys living on where *everyone* has busted their ass?
Or are you just talking about just you DJ's here in this serato forum?
GalaxC Girl 6:50 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
is aimed more towards DJs that have no online presence, little-to-no "real world" experience and a tiny fanbase (which in this day and age makes up maybe 60% of the available DJ demographic pool); not DJs that have already put in work and developed a following. I've watched some guys who haven't been DJing for a month expect to get paid "full price" just to show up, play & leave.

Weeeeeee!

Oh, did someone here understand? lol.

Careful not to get popcorn kernels stuck in your teeth, raf! lol!
Papa Midnight 7:07 AM - 24 May, 2012
int.na.tl
I'm seeing a trend here...
GalaxC Girl will introduce a point she wants to make. If it gets challenged or doesn't exactly conform to her point of view, then it's the other individual who is "riled up", "high strung", etc.

I'll also point out that it is also (with the exception of ol' JC up there) GalaxC Girl who has been the only one throwing out insults at people and responding with sarcastic remarks.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that, surprisingly (even with Bezzle in this thread and JC's comments), GalaxC Girl has used more profanity than everyone else in this thread combined.

That latter bit is a bit of an extraneous point, but I felt I had to make it so... yeah.

Quote:

...and yet, we've gone from "random ass DJ" to...
Quote:
Then don't you think it's fair that they would choose to book you instead of some little shit who doesn't help?

Well... err... wow. Tell 'em how you really feel...
Quote:
...And if they did book you AND some lil shit

int.na.tl
Quote:
Uh, yeah some 'special' people need things explained to them better or multiple times. And even after that some people still don't understand, oh well.

int.na.tl, Are we really going there with it?

--> int.na.tl <---
Jesus Christ 7:12 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
Weeeeeee!

That condescending tone is what will get you flamed in any forum. Not just here. Especially with a WHOLE year dressing up in half shirts way too small for your muffin top, weaving bungee cords into your hair and posting pictures of pasty boobs with your name on them. You're off to a great start.

onfinite.com
the_black_one 7:18 AM - 24 May, 2012
i just checked her website and her facebook....... my computer almost cracked its own screen ! horrible.
GalaxC Girl 7:38 AM - 24 May, 2012
Haha, checked you guys out too and now I totally understand why you're all taking the rant so personal. LMAO!
Jesus Christ 7:48 AM - 24 May, 2012
Sure you did. ;)
DJMark 9:37 AM - 24 May, 2012
What a strange thread.
DJ Remy USA 11:09 AM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
Lol I spin in a tiny bar that holds under 100 people and $350 wont even get you chicken wings to out out for your guests lol

I been dealing with promoters a lot you should see the corners they cut and the lies they tell to owners. Seriously you can come out of pocket with 350.00 and flip that especially if you are a promoter that preys on new establishments and or owners who don't know what's up
Quote:

We not mean at all in the SSL forum some of the biggest DJs you see today use to post and argue with us right here. 2 of them have passed away in recent years some if them have moved on the better things in life but they were all a part of this great forum. Every other forum just drinks the kool aid you get honest unedited uncensored opinions and advice here. Your welcomed to stay and post and we call you out when we think it's some bill shit and we will agree when it's not
DJ Remy USA 11:12 AM - 24 May, 2012
Galaxy's Girl you should know that DJ Sooo is the fukin man let his credentials speak for themselves
d:raf 4:04 PM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:

Weeeeeee!

It's all good; I washed 'em down with some draft cider. lol
the_black_one 4:15 PM - 24 May, 2012
Lol..... This girl needs more help than anyone of us can provide!
ced_so_thoed 4:52 PM - 24 May, 2012
ay
at the end of the day... or at some point in time a dj who has bought all of their equipment and maintained it and provided storage and transportation are going to budget. They are going to calculate how much all their dj gear costs, sound gear, light gear, storage gear, and transportation costs. When the total amount comes out of everything, that little shit dj or random dj is going to come to the realization that he needs to make all that equipment pay for itself. Yeah we all want people to have a good time from what we do, but entertainment is never free. No matter if you are starting out. And I respect a no name dj being bold and ambitious enough to try to get on at an event. That doesn't mean they can get it though. They do need to prove what they can do as a dj. Nothing else. You want someone to help do X, Y, and Z then you hire people who specialize in X, Y, and Z. Let that dj do their job. Ain't anybody trying to tell you that you're dumb for what you said, it's just dumb that you won't take in what some people are saying. I've been djing a while but not longer than some. Only 11 years. But I was good when first started. My parents got me my first gig. Paid. My friend opened up a bar and I dj'd in that thang. Paid. Folks came to me to their mix tapes. Paid. Clubs came to me. Paid. I didn't do anything for free when I first started out becuase I had skills other djs lacked and people recognized that. As far as I can remember being on 1200s, I did 4 events for free. One was to get in a club, one was a battle, one was for a high school with a radio station I worked for, and the other was a car show/concert for a dj friend who had other djs in the line up saying that they were the best in the area (shut them dudes down so bad they didn't even spin after me, I ended up doing the whole event once I got on). The point that I'm making is talent should never be over looked because of popularity level and willingness to do free labor. It's like sports. If a rookie gets on the team and he can play to a point where that team is now successful, then that rookie gets to play and gets all the spoils they deserve. Same with a dj. If a dj gives a demo and it is awesome, try them out. Make a contract with them saying you will pay them for X amount and if the night is off the chain then they will get a bonus and woopty woo. We ain't coming off as attacking you. But this debate. Debate is all about opinions and opinions that are credible. Most are credible through experience. Looks as some of us on here have more of what you have and you can get mad at it if you won't but you will just have to accept it. You can leave or go. But shit won't stop here for us and I'm sure it won't for you. We're gonna keep calling out bullshit when we smell it. Sorry homegirl but all that you said is that which comes up out the bull's ass. You can show us some titties though to help your argument though. *sips drink from straw with the I'm just saying face*
yep
Jesus Christ 5:08 PM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
You can show us some titties though to help your argument though. *sips drink from straw with the I'm just saying face*

Best part! hahahaha!!!
phonze 6:00 PM - 24 May, 2012
Okay, I kind of get it now. She's referring to events primarily thrown by DJ's and their crew. Could have handled the back lash better but whatever. No chance in hell I'll ever hand out flyers though, I don't care if I am throwing the event lol.
DJ Alkemy 7:18 PM - 24 May, 2012
If a promoter is any good, he will have his side of the bargain down...PROMOTION!. If you got a headline act and its promoted well then who gives a rats ass what the warm up DJ's promotional game is?. If Im a promoter and I booked say, J.Jeff then Im sure the actual promoting side takes care of itself. Then its on to the warm up acts. I would rather book a skilled DJ than a wack one who will be around early, help set shit up etc because when he is trainwrecking behind the TT's at the start of the night and killing the vibe before it has started, getting on the mic and telling the crowd "hey, come on people, he helped set the equipment up and brought some friends too". Not saying I wont help out an event, recently I spun with Grandmaster Flash and put some flyers up, promoted it a bit on Facebook etc because I had a personal attachment to the gig and wanted it to go well. But if Im speaking to a promoter who says "hey, I think you are a really good DJ but I have a few other people who are willing to give out flyers, help setup equipment, bring some lighting, help with graphics etc" Ill tell him to go ahead and book them instead then cause if my skills behind the TT's aint enough to get me a gig (that I may/may not get paid for) then, quite frankly, you can go and F___ yourself. (not you galaxc, the promoter lol).
DJ Remy USA 7:45 PM - 24 May, 2012
I like how Alkemy puts it, a DJ like me is not a headliner Im a warm up DJ and I know this. So if the headliner cant bring heads through the door who cares what the opening DJ is doing. Unless the opening DJ has huge following people are gonna come anyways but if a promoter is relying on the DJ to promote and DJ its a not a good look for the promoter.

A good DJ will never mind helping setup and tear down if he is apart of the event but what sense does it make for a DJ who is not even a part of the event busting his ass just to see your event with other acts go well. Whats in it for him besides, he/she wants to DJ. It is only ok for a DJ to setup and tear down and not spin if he is an apprentice shadowing another DJ who is trying to school him on the trade
ced_so_thoed 9:04 PM - 24 May, 2012
ay
Let's attack d:raf now. I think we got the good feeling of mob mentality going on now. So let's get him. *Passes out pitch forks, torches, and clubs*
yep
DJ Alkemy 9:54 PM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
ay

Let's attack d:raf now. I think we got the good feeling of mob mentality going on now. So let's get him. *Passes out pitch forks, torches, and clubs*

yep

Not sure if anyone has already asked but whats with the ay and yep?
ced_so_thoed 10:04 PM - 24 May, 2012
ay
I'm country. It actually started off as a joke but it caught on so well my fans actually say it and recognize me by it so i just keep it going. It's kind of cool when you're in the mall and somebody is like "ay it's Ceddy Ced. aaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy yep." I got sheep.
yep
GalaxC Girl 10:22 PM - 24 May, 2012
Omg. Wow. Feels like I'm beating an extemely dense, brain dead dead horse here.

So one more time: if I'm throwing a party and there's an opening spot to fill and there are 2 possible DJ's wanting a chance asking to fill it -one who has made himself known to me by reaching out and being supportive and who is willing to do just even 1 extra tiny winy thing to help even just a little tiny winy eeeeansy bit OR there's another DJ who's never shown the slightest support, never reached out (so frankly I barely even know he fucking exists) and he's not willing to be a positive player but is rather a dead piece of weight that I have to carry around - sorry, but I'm going to bypass the latter and choose the dude who has more value.
Sorry if that offends anyone. I seriously don't understand how it could offend anyone in their right mind, but this world is perplexingly insane sometimes.

Never have I said anywhere at anytime in any point of space in any dimension of reality that a DJ should bring, do & setup everything. Are you fucking kidding me? WTF? LOL

I don't "rely" on anyone to do shit. At all. But when it comes down to it, of fucking course, I'm going to choose to work with people who are awesome instead of selfish retards. Don't know why this is soooo hard for some to understand.
If y'alls DJing is as great as your comprehension skills then no wonder your soundcloud and facebook pages are so off the chain, sorry, but my gawd.
Maybe some of you should be a little more receptive to the output of someone who's gotten a lot more success in "only" 2 years (of "DJing" since apparently that is the end all be all) than you've ever reached in your supposably many, many of years of trying to be an entitled professional DJ. Just a thought. Or maybe you could possssibly get 1 or 2 more fans by acting like wolves in a serato pit that attack anything that's thrown in. Good luck with that.
Yeah, you guys surrrrre know what you're doing! LOL! Alllll righty then.

By all means, of course make fun of me for taking the time to come sign up and to say hi and try to talk to you guys. Very impressive.
Make fun of the way I look - BAHAHA, yeah you got me real worried about my style, LMAO! (I design all my own clothes which Mixer Magazine featured years ago in their secret pocket spread and reviewed with 5 stars, thanks).
Make fun of the bangin' magazine article about me. - where's yours?
Make fun of my autograph on boobs. -where's yours?
Make fun of my autograph tattooed on a hot groupie girls arm who goes backstage with some of the biggest electronic acts out there and they ask her who GalaxC Girl is and she tells em I'm the most awesome DJ/VJ ever -where's yours?
Make fun of my headlinging bookings for 100's -1000's of people -where's yours?
Make fun of my real fans who say I changed their life with tears in their eyes - where's your's?
Make fun of my rant that a respected DJ/blogger thought was so awesome they blogged it and I got dozens upon dozens of new fans who love it and the editor of one of the biggest magazine in the county APPROACHED ME about a story or a book cuz they like my writing so much -where's yours?
I could keep going but y'all prob won't get the point so...

C YA GUYS!!!
(But probably not really, actually. lol! I'm sure you'll soon be at a waaaay too big of a level with your glorious attitudes and multitudes of fans going nuts for you)

If you really want to see tits (& a little ass) here ya go: www.facebook.com

If you want to see even more naughtier tits that facebook won't allow here ya go: www.flickr.com

Peace.
ced_so_thoed 10:29 PM - 24 May, 2012
ay
ask and you shall receive
yep
Jesus Christ 10:32 PM - 24 May, 2012
DJ Alkemy 10:33 PM - 24 May, 2012
haha...She is seriously pissed. Just one thing...these people who say you "changed their life", with tears in their eyes...are they seriously f***ing retarded or what?...I can understand that coming from maybe Stevie Wonder etc but we are DJ's...we play other peoples music (sometimes our own cause no one else will lol). Not a personal attack or nothing but the same happened in the acid days...DJ's were looked on as gods, well, for the few hours the party goers were off their nuts on whatever class A's they had taken. Monday morning is a different matter.
djbigboy 10:39 PM - 24 May, 2012
I love the threads when someone pulls something off the web and the subject or author end up in the forums and responding!!!

GalaxC Girl - don't go.....

It's just a forum filled with lots of passionate djs
DJ Alkemy 10:43 PM - 24 May, 2012
Yeah, it seems she is doing something right and I respect the way she seems to have a good vibe and buzz about her but coming to a DJ forum with a thread that says "THE REAL REASON NO ONE WANTS TO BOOK YOU" is definately gonna get some backs up lol
DJMark 10:46 PM - 24 May, 2012
Can't Understand Normal Thinking vs. Full Of One's Own Shit = The Mashup From Hell.
AKIEM 11:07 PM - 24 May, 2012
GalaxC Girl, ur last post is quite a bit different from your article or whatever. I dont have a problem with what ur doing/thinking over there in your part of the planet with two years experience or whatever.

The issue is that the mentality and the definitiveness of it is a small microcosm of exactly whats fucking up the game everyplace else and on a larger scale.

When you book DJs for shit OTHER then how well they play you get mediocre bullshit and bring everything down levels with it.

You want to do some awesome shit as a promoter? scout out the illest DJs you can find who are supper talented because they fucking practice all day instead post shit on facebook. DO YOUR JOB as the promoter and break them into the game. And fucking pay them even more then you think they deserve off GP (thats general principal)

All these other methods is lazy and shady bullshit promoter shit.

Matter of fact your hustle (which can probably be respected) is the product of this bullshit environment. You HAVE to do five different shits because everyone wants shit quick and easy. Imagine if you could concentrate on your performance instead of running around busting your ass.
DJ SPAIR 11:10 PM - 24 May, 2012
Anyone else see the latest episode of Family Guy where they mentioned Bang Bros! Hahahah
ced_so_thoed 11:23 PM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
Omg. Wow. Feels like I'm beating an extemely dense, brain dead dead horse here.

ay
I don't understand why you're beating on a dead horse. If the horse is already dead, why beat it? You can't kill it twice unless it was a zombie horse. And for something to be brain dead, it has to be alive to be braid dead. So the brain dead horse anaolgy failed. What you should have said, was you beating a brain dead horse to death, but then PETA would be upset and I'm sure that that would make folks mad on the brain dead horse forums which I'm sure are present if you google'd it.
yep

Quote:

So one more time: if I'm throwing a party and there's an opening spot to fill and there are 2 possible DJ's wanting a chance asking to fill it -one who has made himself known to me by reaching out and being supportive and who is willing to do just even 1 extra tiny winy thing to help even just a little tiny winy eeeeansy bit OR there's another DJ who's never shown the slightest support, never reached out (so frankly I barely even know he fucking exists) and he's not willing to be a positive player but is rather a dead piece of weight that I have to carry around - sorry, but I'm going to bypass the latter and choose the dude who has more value.
Sorry if that offends anyone. I seriously don't understand how it could offend anyone in their right mind, but this world is perplexingly insane sometimes.

ay
Ok that is your choice. Me, I'm going by either who goes ham. It's a business. I want the best night so I'm going for who can give me what I want the crowd to have. I don't care about the ass kissing, I care about the club rocking.
yep

Quote:

Never have I said anywhere at anytime in any point of space in any dimension of reality that a DJ should bring, do & setup everything. Are you fucking kidding me? WTF? LOL.

ay
yes you fucking did. Let's go into my fucking time machine that i got from Wallgreens.
*time machine noise with that Coolio track - Fantastic voyage playing in reverse*
Quote:

Do you have anything to add to the party besides your set? Gear, deco, lights, tents, graphics, anything? Will you come help set up speakers and subs that weigh more than an elephant before the party and will you be there at 6 in the morning or the next day to help pack them up even though you are more dead tired than a zombie with it’s head shot off?

What is this^^^^^^^^^^?
yep

Quote:
I don't "rely" on anyone to do shit.

ay
You rely on Facebook
yep

Quote:
At all. But when it comes down to it, of fucking course, I'm going to choose to work with people who are awesome instead of selfish retards. Don't know why this is soooo hard for some to understand.
If y'alls DJing is as great as your comprehension skills then no wonder your soundcloud and facebook pages are so off the chain, sorry, but my gawd.
Maybe some of you should be a little more receptive to the output of someone who's gotten a lot more success in "only" 2 years (of "DJing" since apparently that is the end all be all) than you've ever reached in your supposably many, many of years of trying to be an entitled professional DJ. Just a thought..

ay
skldfhasdhdgiohaeOfhwfhwfhwfhwfhwfhwasdfhisadkgsD:Fasf?l
Really? I mean seriously? Let's talk in real life. Maybe in your genre the people around you collect your toilet paper because you are so good to them. But if you try to step in my arena, you won't even get to face me because my fanbase will laugh you back to your underground whatever you came from. And that's just where I'm at and where I been. I know the other djs here got it going on hardcore like so for you to say that makes dead people laugh.
yep

Quote:
Or maybe you could possssibly get 1 or 2 more fans by acting like wolves in a serato pit that attack anything that's thrown in. Good luck with that.
Yeah, you guys surrrrre know what you're doing! LOL! Alllll righty then.
By all means, of course make fun of me for taking the time to come sign up and to say hi and try to talk to you guys. Very impressive.

ay
Thank you
yep

Quote:
Make fun of the way I look - BAHAHA, yeah you got me real worried about my style, LMAO! (I design all my own clothes which Mixer Magazine featured years ago in their secret pocket spread and reviewed with 5 stars, thanks).

ay
I didn't make fun of you but thanks for sharing.
yep

Quote:
Make fun of the bangin' magazine article about me. - where's yours?

ay
I didn't but I have one that started confrontation with this other dj and we got into it. It was worth it though.
yep

Quote:
Make fun of my autograph on boobs. -where's yours?

ay
I autograph boobs with skeet. True story.
yep

Quote:
Make fun of my autograph tattooed on a hot groupie girls arm who goes backstage with some of the biggest electronic acts out there and they ask her who GalaxC Girl is and she tells em I'm the most awesome DJ/VJ ever -where's yours?

ay
once again, I autograph chicks with skeet so I need not to have them tattoo. I don't do EDM but I have folks come up to me all the time saying I'm the best, I'm this, I'm that, DJ my wedding, DJ here, call me when you dj again. Folks co-sign all the time. You are not the first to have fans jock you.
yep

Quote:
Make fun of my headlinging bookings for 100's -1000's of people -where's yours?

ay
every weekend babe you ain't different from the rest.
yep

Quote:
Make fun of my real fans who say I changed their life with tears in their eyes - where's your's?

ay
ummmmmmmmmmmmm that's kind of scary. I have had folks tell me that they would fight and kill for me because I'm killing the mix but of course they were drunk/high but yeah i would say that that is in the same category so yeah I got that too.
yep

Quote:
Make fun of my rant that a respected DJ/blogger thought was so awesome they blogged it and I got dozens upon dozens of new fans who love it and the editor of one of the biggest magazine in the county APPROACHED ME about a story or a book cuz they like my writing so much -where's yours?

ay
I don't know that and i don't have that but I also don't care so *shrug*
yep

Quote:
I could keep going

ay
that's what she said... when she was slobbin on this knob and then I autographed those titts
yep

Quote:
but y'all prob won't get the point so...

C YA GUYS!!!
(But probably not really, actually. lol! I'm sure you'll soon be at a waaaay too big of a level with your glorious attitudes and multitudes of fans going nuts for you)

ay
you say that but some of us got that
yep

Quote:

ay
when you say a little ass, do you mean that there's not that many pics of ass or it's just a real little ass? If it's a little ass as in singular, why would you waste the time to put that shit up? No one wants to see that. Wear a pancho if ass is little.
yep

Quote:
If you want to see even more naughtier tits that facebook won't allow here ya go: www.flickr.com

ay
if this is what you speak of and of what i desire then all your post are made valid until I say so. Android phone not having the battery life to look right now.
yep

Quote:
Peace.

ay
war
yep
dj_soo 11:29 PM - 24 May, 2012
Quote:
yes you fucking did. Let's go into my fucking time machine that i got from Wallgreens.
*time machine noise with that Coolio track - Fantastic voyage playing in reverse*

lol
AKIEM 11:29 PM - 24 May, 2012
lol
DJ JT Stevens 11:32 PM - 24 May, 2012
This thread delivers.

Ceddy, you so cray.
DJ Alkemy 11:47 PM - 24 May, 2012
hahaha...the skeet comment made me LOL. Ced for thread president. Ay Yep!!
Mike_P 11:55 PM - 24 May, 2012
GalaxC dude, you are the cancer that is eating away at our profession. Please find another hobby. Mmkay?
ced_so_thoed 11:59 PM - 24 May, 2012
ay
all those fucking pictures sucked. The same pics on the Facebook were on your Flickr. You're a disappointment like marrying a chick that you waited you're whole virginity for and then on the honeymoon not only will NOT do doggy, reverse cowgirl, or blowjob, but her taco stinks. Your pics suck and all your points are voided. SMH I'm very upset about that. I had my lotion ready and everything.
yep
d:raf 1:57 AM - 25 May, 2012
Geez, I can't leave you guys alone for... (counts fingers)... 8 hours?
d:raf 4:47 AM - 25 May, 2012
Catching up... the levels of condescension on both sides in this thread have reached hilariously epic proportions. lolz

Suppose for a moment we imagine that both the newbie helper and the "dead weight random-ass DJ" are equally talented? And by "talented" I mean "capable of putting on a good show" (I see a "inexperienced" = "untalented" preconception going on here...)
AKIEM 5:01 AM - 25 May, 2012
d:raf, good point

thats all
DJ Reflex 5:28 AM - 25 May, 2012
Hell, I've been DJing for 18 years and I still have yet to acquire this... TALENT you speak of!
sixxx 8:42 AM - 25 May, 2012
I was going to comment waaaaay sooner, but then I read "tent", "underground", "ecstasy".

As you were.
GalaxC Girl 8:55 AM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
Suppose for a moment we imagine that both the newbie helper and the "dead weight random-ass DJ" are equally talented? And by "talented" I mean "capable of putting on a good show"

As stated in the original post:

Quote:
Talent aside, there are a million other acts with extreme talent lining up to be booked

It seems that no one actually absorbed what was said and just projected their own fears and judgments and has no interest in actually understanding the simple, reasonable reality I shared.

Quote:
Matter of fact your hustle (which can probably be respected) is the product of this bullshit environment. You HAVE to do five different shits because everyone wants shit quick and easy. Imagine if you could concentrate on your performance instead of running around busting your ass.

My hustle has nothing to do with any "bullshit". I do what I do because it's the future & I love it & it's blowing peoples minds to see something they've never seen before. I could not bust out what I do with help from another person unless we had telepathic midi control brains or something.

Although, yeah, it would be sweet if I didn't have to pick up other peoples slack outside of my own performance. Hence the whole rant.
Do I want someone around who will step up to the plate and say "oh hey I have a mixer I could bring if you need me to" or someone who brings nothing but an ego and needs to borrow my headphone jack, quarter inch adapters and rca's and then doesn't even say thanks or return my shit and gets mad if the guy who did post the event online & brought a mixer gets paid $50 more than him?
I like the cool reliable people with talent, not disrespectful shitheads with talent, sorry, I seriously don't think there is anything wrong with that and I'm truly amazed that anyone could disagree.

Quote:
scout out the illest DJs you can find who are supper talented because they fucking practice all day

If you guys wanna do whole lineups with the illest DJs you can find filling every slot including the opening slot(s), go right ahead. That's awesome. If you have the budget to get Qbert or a DJ that needs significant payment as your opening DJ, then wow, that must be some party. But I don't think that's realistic for most parties. I personally feel the opening slots are great to give new talent a chance. Like these KID brothers who make & perform all ORIGINAL music opening Halloween weekend: Watchwww.youtube.com
They got paid, not much but a little token something, but they got to play on a brought in from out of state siiiiiick 40,000 watt system with 20 subs, got to play a good venue, with solid acts, got a bunch of their first fans with ppl asking for their return, got more bookings, got sick promo shots by a professional photographer who shoots for Bassnectar & has been featured in Rolling Stone and were awesome and happy and pleasure to work with rather than being little douche balls who don't appreciate all that. I'm sorry I couldn't pay them a million dollars. But they understood even at their very young ages that we couldn't afford to budget more for them because of all the other expenses and were just stoked for the opportunity to be a part of all that.

Quote:
You act as if it's them who owes YOU a favor for playing YOUR party.

Uh, no, I just appreciate people who appreciate me appreciating them.

Picking between 2 opening level acts - who are of course BOTH qualified enough to play - I'm going to gravitate naturally toward someone who is more POSITIVE rather than NEGATIVE. (Um, DUH?) In what ever way that positivity manifests, whether it's a little online support or hanging up a poster or bringing their black light or just simply having a good attitude.
If you guys wanna call that ass kissing, then whatever. I think there's a big difference between brown nose ass kissing and just being a cool, supportive, responsible kind of person that other people want to work with and give opportunities to.

Quote:
Quote:
Never have I said anywhere at anytime in any point of space in any dimension of reality that a DJ should bring, do & setup everything. Are you fucking kidding me? WTF? LOL.

ay
Quote:

How the hell is asking if someone has ANYTHING else to add saying that they HAVE to do EVERYTHING? I also asked if you had a cake shop and could bring a cake. Do you seriously think that I require every DJ to have a fucking cake shop & to provide & set up everything and bring a cake? Or am I merely helping people understand what goes into doing an event so they can appreciate it when it's actually someone else providing & doing everything and JUST MAYBE step up to the plate just even a TINY bit to stand out against every other (TALENTED) person who would also like to have that slot.

Quote:
I had my lotion ready and everything.

I'd love to see your better album of boobs you signed. But if you had one you probably wouldn't be in the desperate position of having to wack yourself off. I probably get my dick sucked more than you and I don't even have one. :P
GalaxC Girl 9:30 AM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
I love the threads when someone pulls something off the web and the subject or author end up in the forums and responding!!!

Oh wow. 1 nice person. Thanks, DJ Bigboy.
I don't think I "fit in" here though, lol.
Pretty sure my crystal ball says I'm not gonna last much longer in this forum, lol.
It's really adorable how all these guys bond over ganging up & chasing away people who are different from them.
I can't believe I've entertained this shit this long, haha, I'm really way too busy to be defending and re-explaining the same shit over and over to people who can't get it.

d:raf! you sneaky instigator, lol! I'm going to tie you to your TT's and tickle you til you PP, lol :P
sixxx 3:16 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Oh wow. 1 nice person. Thanks, DJ Bigboy.

I believe he was being sarcastic.
ced_so_thoed 4:22 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
ay

Quote:

How the hell is asking if someone has ANYTHING else to add saying that they HAVE to do EVERYTHING? I also asked if you had a cake shop and could bring a cake. Do you seriously think that I require every DJ to have a fucking cake shop & to provide & set up everything and bring a cake? Or am I merely helping people understand what goes into doing an event so they can appreciate it when it's actually someone else providing & doing everything and JUST MAYBE step up to the plate just even a TINY bit to stand out against every other (TALENTED) person who would also like to have that slot.

ay
Because where I come from, bringing extra gear i.e. speakers and lights is an added fee. You ask me to come and dj and you provide the TTs and have a TTM57 I'll bring my needles, slip mats, laptop, external hard drive, MPC500, and power strip. If I need to bring my TTs then that's a higher charge. If I need to bring sound then the price is doubled. If you ask "what I can bring?" I'll answer with "what do you need?" If I made cakes I'd charge extra for that too. Especially if my cakes were fucking cakes. It ain't about stepping up to the plate. Stepping up to the plate is something like covering another djs time slot because they were killing the crowd or had to leave. That's what that is.
yep

Quote:

Quote:
I'd love to see your better album of boobs you signed.

ay
I retort, I do not sign boobs with ink. I skeet on titts I do not sign them. I'm a old fashioned man. Only time I'm touching titties is when it's sexy time or CPR. My CPR card is expired so it's all sexy time.
yep

Quote:
But if you had one you probably wouldn't be in the desperate position of having to wack yourself off.

ay
You dj/vj so bad you really thought that I was serious. You obviously do not have a sense of humor so I know you are probably just as lame in real life as you are online.
yep

Quote:
I probably get my dick sucked more than you and I don't even have one. :P

ay
you probably do. I no longer get my dick sucked. My dick gets Thanksgiving feasted upon. YOLO
yep
sixxx 5:14 PM - 25 May, 2012
ay

lol

yep
ced_so_thoed 6:06 PM - 25 May, 2012
ay
Don't get me started on how I get chewed up by the women in the club homegirl. I;m on a different level. Bitches say grace before they touch this meat. I've had chicks that had the same color teeth you had and after my wonder meat left their talk box they had a D.D.S. whitening job done. Filled their cavities too.
yep
phonze 6:13 PM - 25 May, 2012
pics or it didn't happen...wait nevermind I don't wanna see that!
Mr. Goodkat 6:18 PM - 25 May, 2012
Got 420 facebook "likes" ON 4/20/2010 AT 4:20pm! There should be an award for that. (if you go back far enough you can see the triple 420 magic happen!)

she's beat us all.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:29 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
Omg. Wow. Feels like I'm beating an extemely dense, brain dead horse

Lol after seein those pics I bet the list of guys whove said the same about you is extensive lol
Mr. Goodkat 8:19 PM - 25 May, 2012
fooling rednecks is a little harder than fooling normal people.
GalaxC Girl 8:27 PM - 25 May, 2012
LOL. Um, yeah, ok. You guys have fun being top 40 sexist dicks taking requests at weddings. I can see it's working real well for you with your anonymous accounts or 3 plays on soundcloud and 24 followers on facebook that you managed to muster up with your soooooo many years and years of experience.

You guys are brilliant.
Sunny Up 8:27 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:

you probably do. I no longer get my dick sucked. My dick gets Thanksgiving feasted upon. YOLO
yep

LMAO

...this girl has said bye like 4 times, wtf.
GalaxC Girl 8:31 PM - 25 May, 2012
when did I say bye?
dj_soo 8:41 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
LOL. Um, yeah, ok. You guys have fun being top 40 sexist dicks taking requests at weddings. I can see it's working real well for you with your anonymous accounts or 3 plays on soundcloud and 24 followers on facebook that you managed to muster up with your soooooo many years and years of experience.

You guys are brilliant.

So does the fact that i have 4 times the followers as you on soundcloud make my opinion worth 4 times more than you? (see how dumb that sounds when you say it out loud?)

I kind of agree that people here are being a little harsh but at the same time, you're just feeding the sharks with your defensiveness. If you look through the snark, there are actually people here willing to engage in discussion - but i think it's your ego that's being bruised more than anything since people aren't willing to just take what you say at face value.

If you ignore some of the bullshit you migt even learn something.

Just saying.
GalaxC Girl 8:46 PM - 25 May, 2012
What I might learn how to book a top 40 DJ?
No thanks, not my scene.

It seems that you are the only one willing to engage in any sort of productive conversation instead of sexist, brain dead retorts. But even you that nice either.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:46 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
I can see it's working real well for you with your anonymous accounts or 3 plays on soundcloud and 24 followers on facebook that you managed to muster up.

Im proud of those 3 plays and those 24 people are a fiercley loyal group!
GalaxC Girl 8:47 PM - 25 May, 2012
*AREN'T that nice either.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:49 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
when did I say bye?

....technically thats one right there lol
AKIEM 8:57 PM - 25 May, 2012
GalaxyC, you got two years under ur belt and know everything.
GalaxC Girl 8:57 PM - 25 May, 2012
If you all are so past the point of breaking in and "paying your dues" then why are you taking it so personal as it's clearly directed to "random DJ ASKING to get booked"? Do you guys still have to beg for gigs or something?

I would estimate that at least 50 people posted this rant on facebook and thought it was super awesome. Sorry if you guys can't get it or learn anything. Here's one post from someone who did appreciate it:
-----------------------------------------------------

Angela Deva Pal
January 4 at 8:21am ·
This chick is super on point, in every way here. And I know firsthand that she practices what she preaches cuz she's constantly showing CDW love and consistently & professionally reaching out to me, always with the best lovin vibes too. A breath of fresh air to read this coming from a dj/producer <333 thanks GalaxC Girl ~~ You Are A Power Goddess ~~

The Real Reasons That No One Wants To Book You
www.quietentertainer.com
Today I have a guest post from Celeste AKA GalaxCgirl. Celeste performs as GalaxCgirl in Asheville, NC and the surrounding area where she combines her DJ set with live visuals. Celeste was actually sent to my post about booking your own live shows after she made a similar rant on her facebook page....
Unlike · · Unfollow Post · Share · Remove from Profile
You, Esiris Lyons, Harrison Diskin, John Ryan and 22 others like this.

John Ryan Yeah, I saw Celeste play at a mountain rave in North Carolina... she was not only completely kicking total ass with the music, she was doing her own visuals that perfectly coincided with the music,, there was a serious theme... she was doing it all at once and rocking out... nothing in between! My friend and I were just blown away... the chick is prolific... & when I got back to Detroit I figured all the kids that like the "dubby stuff" would soon be talking about her... that was about a year and a half ago, so its nice to see Angie and Justin sharing this link. GalaxC Girl rules!!!
January 4 at 8:45am · Like · 1

Angela Deva Pal Yes yessssss, we were onto her soundcloud mix about a year and a half ago as well, which she completely *kicks galactic ass* in, yes.....we knew she was super far-out then kinda like us, and now this blog writeup just totally solidifies that feeling we had about her - YAY!!!! :-]
January 4 at 9:02am · Like · 1

John Ryan Wait til you see her do it LIVE... Its literally an experience.
January 4 at 10:26am · Like · 3

John Ryan She moved me so much that I did something I don't normally do,, I bugged out on her for about 45 minutes straight about how I think she needs to be famous.. I know that sounds really shallow.. but theres no reason at all why this chick shouldn't be playing gigs in every state, country, whatever, anyone that can get down to something really heavy & wants the straight jam... Like literally I haven't freaked out on a dj set like I have freaked out on her's... and you know me.. I'm open minded and not a "dub head", etc, etc... but you also know that I will check it out... and dig what I like about it. She is literally something else.. I have never seen a dj that mixes what she does.. and like we were out in the mountains... there was a real dance floor vibe to be had... not just a bunch of kids bobbing. I could go on and on.
January 4 at 10:35am · Like · 5
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:01 PM - 25 May, 2012
You obviously building a quality following of people full of knowledge, we should take note of their observations, after all i love "that dubby stuff" myself
sacrilicious 9:33 PM - 25 May, 2012
This thread delivers.

PS for what it's worth, I checked Galaxy's Soundcloud and the fade outs/ins covered with sound effects were really endearing.
dj_soo 9:36 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:

eh. Sometimes I wan't to be nice and just want to debate points.

You're problem is that you wrote what appeared to be a definitive guide on getting booked when in actuality, it was only referring to small niche scene that you belong to where even then you've only been a part of it for a handful of years.

If anything, I would work on your writing skills as the original article has one of the most condescending voices I've seen in recent memory which is a big reason you're getting this amount of snark.

Regardless, I'd just thicken your skin - this industry is brutal - especially if you're a girl.
dj_soo 9:37 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

eh. Sometimes I *wan't to be nice and just want to debate points.

*don't want
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:55 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:

Regardless, I'd just thicken your skin - this industry is brutal - especially if you're a girl.

Forget thickening tightening should be priority
ced_so_thoed 10:16 PM - 25 May, 2012
ay
In other news, a new device called the remote control has been invented to change tv channels and power it on and off. Runs on batteries. Shits bannanas.
yep
Papa Midnight 10:24 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
serato.com

int.na.tl

Quote:
Quote:

You guys are brilliant.

So does the fact that i have 4 times the followers as you on soundcloud make my opinion worth 4 times more than you? (see how dumb that sounds when you say it out loud?)

I kind of agree that people here are being a little harsh but at the same time, you're just feeding the sharks with your defensiveness. If you look through the snark, there are actually people here willing to engage in discussion - but i think it's your ego that's being bruised more than anything since people aren't willing to just take what you say at face value.

If you ignore some of the bullshit you migt even learn something.

Just saying.

int.na.tl

Quote:
You're problem is that you wrote what appeared to be a definitive guide on getting booked when in actuality, it was only referring to small niche scene that you belong to where even then you've only been a part of it for a handful of years.

If anything, I would work on your writing skills as the original article has one of the most condescending voices I've seen in recent memory which is a big reason you're getting this amount of snark.

int.na.tl

Quote:
It seems that you are the only one willing to engage in any sort of productive conversation instead of sexist, brain dead retorts. But even you that nice either.

Quote:
LOL. Um, yeah, ok. You guys have fun being top 40 sexist dicks taking requests at weddings. I can see it's working real well [...]

You guys are brilliant.

int.na.tl
You know, it's a little difficult to play the sacrosanct, righteous, justified, noble, and moral card, and have the nerve to call out sexism, when you're comments are no better and no higher than theirs. So they make a sexist comment. Then what, you lower yourself to that level by making an equally distasteful (and, per the norm, snide) comment - then have the audacity to say that you're better than them because you've got a few more Facebook likes than other people, and you've gotten a few drunk people to sharpie themselves (like that makes you Tiesto or something - www.clubglow.com) with your name and let you take a picture of it.

Yes, the end of this post REALLY sells your point on sexism: serato.com

Quote:
Quote:

I'd love to see your better album of boobs you signed. But if you had one you probably wouldn't be in the desperate position of having to wack yourself off. I probably get my dick sucked more than you and I don't even have one. :P

Comments like these (...and the other's you have made) don't help your cause... even if ced was being rather snark in his own.... If anything, it's hypocritical at the absolute best.

Quote:
I can see it's working real well for you with your anonymous accounts or 3 plays on soundcloud and 24 followers on facebook that you managed to muster up with your soooooo many years and years of experience.

int.na.tl
Please have more than 44 followers on Twitter the next time you decide to go and start knocking others for their Like, Listen, or Follower Count (twitter.com). I'm not saying my count is exactly high either, but you don't see me going around bragging about it.

*Extraneous point alert*
Quote:
when did I say bye?

serato.com <-- twice in this post alone.

This whole thread is just FUBAR. I find it ironic that Chad shut down the other topic with DJ Holly Rich before that one could go off the deep-end (serato.com), and in under 24 hours at that, but this topic has been allowed to fester for the better part of a week.

Frankly, neither of the fringes of those partaking in this topic have exactly covered themselves in glory through out this thread's existence.
ced_so_thoed 10:36 PM - 25 May, 2012
ay
Papa Midnight I look at this thread as Galaxc Girl and d:raf posted up in cover shooting 6 shooters and everybody else are in tanks firing multiple times.

What? I'm playing Battlefield 3 online right now
yep
canicypher 10:52 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
I find it ironic that Chad shut down the other topic with DJ Holly Rich before that one could go off the deep-end (serato.com), and in under 24 hours at that, but this topic has been allowed to fester for the better part of a week.

I know right, i was act looking forward to seeing that develop...
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:59 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
I find it ironic that Chad shut down the other topic with DJ Holly Rich before that one could go off the deep-end (serato.com), and in under 24 hours at that, but this topic has been allowed to fester for the better part of a week.

+1 I missed that one completley
ced_so_thoed 11:03 PM - 25 May, 2012
ay
damn that thread was off the chain. I read it with some Public Enemy playing in the background. I'm ready to fight now *shadow boxing*
yep
d:raf 11:32 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
d:raf! you sneaky instigator, lol! I'm going to tie you to your TT's and tickle you til you PP, lol :P

Sounds like fun... well, except the PPing part; not around the equipment! lol.

Quote:
Papa Midnight I look at this thread as Galaxc Girl and d:raf posted up in cover shooting 6 shooters and everybody else are in tanks firing multiple times.

As is generally the case in threads like this on the board, I'm pretty much neutral; I knew exactly what DJ demographic the article was referring to but at the same time I knew the language in it would rile some of ya'll up (the general level of distaste towards promoters expressed on the board has always been pretty high). If anything (to follow your wartime analogy) I'd like to consider myself as more playing the role of the combo diplomat/arms dealer, quietly selling ordinance to both sides whilst immersing himself in the profits (or in this case, the lulz ;) ). Celeste/Galax-C actually coming in here was a bonus (if you haven't figured it out by now she's a friend of mine and a bit of a firecracker); I told her how well I thought the article would go over here before I posted it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have at least half a box of Orville Reddenbacher to finish up here... <munch munch munch> :D.
ced_so_thoed 11:45 PM - 25 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

As is generally the case in threads like this on the board, I'm pretty much neutral; I knew exactly what DJ demographic the article was referring to but at the same time I knew the language in it would rile some of ya'll up (the general level of distaste towards promoters expressed on the board has always been pretty high). If anything (to follow your wartime analogy) I'd like to consider myself as more playing the role of the combo diplomat/arms dealer, quietly selling ordinance to both sides whilst immersing himself in the profits (or in this case, the lulz ;) ). Celeste/Galax-C actually coming in here was a bonus (if you haven't figured it out by now she's a friend of mine and a bit of a firecracker); I told her how well I thought the article would go over here before I posted it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have at least half a box of Orville Reddenbacher to finish up here... <munch munch munch> :D.

ay
i0.kym-cdn.com
yep
AKIEM 12:18 AM - 26 May, 2012
Don't believe what fans say.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:37 AM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

ay
i0.kym-cdn.com
yep

Ya well im in this bitch with clipps son like blap blap bllllap blap BAM BAM BAM BOOOOOOOOOOOOM KONY AINT GOT SHIT ON MY I GOT 8 YEAE OLDS WITH WIFFLEBALL BATS WAITIN TO EAT YA HEART SON THIS GUERILLA WARFARE GET IT HOW YA LIVE YA HEARD.........acutually.i dont see how that war analagy works could you find aone that uses icecream
DJ Unique 4:06 AM - 26 May, 2012
Maybe the real person no one wants to book you because of this.
Watchwww.youtube.com
AKIEM 4:36 AM - 26 May, 2012
If Juice came out nowady Latifa would have said shit like, "no one likes your outfit, no one even fallows you on twitter, where's all your lights and shit?"
the_black_one 4:37 AM - 26 May, 2012
LOL at lights, ecstasy, and dubcrap
d:raf 5:30 AM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Maybe the real person no one wants to book you because of this.
Watchwww.youtube.com

lolz
DJ Unique 6:26 AM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe the real reason no one wants to book you because of this.
Watchwww.youtube.com

lolz

HaHaHa...
re-quoted to edit my misspelled post.
djbanno 9:55 AM - 26 May, 2012

Hahaha...i need this track lol!!!
DJ Michael Basic 10:12 AM - 26 May, 2012
I just read this thread and then checked out this chick's soundcloud. Listened to some of the mixes on there, and I see why she posted the disclaimer "Also, sorry, I'm not a DJ"

No mixing going on, off beat samples, this stuff is mostly un-listenable. If this sort of "djing" is passable at some parties, AND you have to hoof gear to get booked, count me out twice.

Gross.
DJ Michael Basic 10:12 AM - 26 May, 2012
The thread is full of win though...carry on.
DJ Remy USA 2:38 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1 I missed that one completley

man Im upset I missed that one it was getting good
Quiet E 4:15 PM - 26 May, 2012
Hello all. I'm Quiet Entertainer. I want to thank you all for checking out the blog post and my site. I think the discussion here, while full of cheap shots, insults, and assumptions, is actually great for community and learning. That's what I'm all about.

I want to defend GalaxC Girl here. Not that it's necessary, but just to say that the decision to title the post "The Real Reason That No One Wants To Book You" was my decision. I read her rant on facebook and I thought it was good food for thought for all the people that I see in my area who just want to get put on a show. Based on my own experiences, I thought it was a good perspective and good advice.

Consider some other posts I've made on the topic.
www.quietentertainer.com

www.genyrockstars.com

The entire site and blog is a place for me to showcase my own music but also let people know all of the things I'm learning as I try to grow and get better as a DJ and live performer. Insights like hers are helpful. Insights like YOURS can also be helpful. It's unfortunate that some of you were put off by the title of the post. I want to suggest that if the post doesn't apply to you, then you don't have to be offended. For instance, if someone says "Man I hate rapists, they're such idiots." I don't have to be offended because I'm not a rapist. Additionally, if you're not guilty of the things that GalaxC Girl has been seeing in her own experience, then it has nothing to do with you. It doesn't invalidate her experience though.

I'm glad to meet you all here. I wish I'd been here posting and connecting with you all a lot sooner. Hope all is great. Have a wonderful weekend. Hit me up anytime.
Jesus Christ 5:36 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Hello all. I'm Quiet Entertainer...

Thanks for stopping by. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay. We really aren't all assholes. We do, however, get defensive about the artform that we love.

Quote:
It doesn't invalidate her experience though...

No... her lack of experience does.

Quote:
Hope all is great. Have a wonderful weekend. Hit me up anytime.

Thank you.
Jesus Christ 5:37 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
I just read this thread and then checked out this chick's soundcloud. Listened to some of the mixes on there, and I see why she posted the disclaimer "Also, sorry, I'm not a DJ"

No mixing going on, off beat samples, this stuff is mostly un-listenable. If this sort of "djing" is passable at some parties, AND you have to hoof gear to get booked, count me out twice.

Gross.

I LOL'd at this one. I thought I was the only one.
sacrilicious 6:51 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Gross.

I LOL'd at this one. I thought I was the only one.

Quote:
This thread delivers.

PS for what it's worth, I checked Galaxy's Soundcloud and the fade outs/ins covered with sound effects were really endearing.

How dare you accidentally miss my review!
sixxx 7:08 PM - 26 May, 2012
So is this drama over? Did the effect of the ecstasy wore out? Boo!!!!
Dj Shamann 7:30 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
I want to suggest that if the post doesn't apply to you, then you don't have to be offended.

Here's the part that you and your friend don't get, it's not about being offended, it's about someone who has little experience of her own, spreading misinformation to the would be DJ as well as looking down on DJs who don't fit in with the superficial bullshit that plagues OUR scene today. The fact that she came into this thread and taunted people for not having as many social network followers as her only reinforces that.

Your friend has done nothing but condescend and act as if everything she does is on a higher level than everyone here. She's the delusional person in a room with 50 others who all disagree with her screaming "it's not me that's wrong, it's all of you, the whole world is wrong!"

Thinking that because she's got pictures of drugged out sluts with sharpie marks on their boobs somehow means she's doing it big. What part of the music does that represent? And then she has the balls to condescend about Top 40 DJs and being too cool for that scene? She's just as much of a douche as any Top 40 DJ I've ever encountered.

There are people in this room that have done things beyond this girls comprehension (yet are humble enough not to have to list it every post to try and one up her). She's so full of herself that she assumes nobody as wedding DJs.

What if the tables were turned and I said because she comes from a city with a laughable 80k people and the fact that I've done venues with 1/4 of your entire population, and then I proceeded to list my actual accomplishments? You'd shrug me off as a loud mouth braggart and say what do numbers matter, why should I look at this chick any different?

The difference being that I accomplished pretty much everything she's high on herself about by the time I was 16 and in a couple of years that will be 20 years ago so believe me there's a lot I can say. But I don't need to actually list accomplishments to validate my opinion because it's irrelevant if what I say is full of shit. So when I speak it comes from experience and as they say "real recognizes real", people will see that regardless of what I've done or how I choose to say it, there's always an element of truth.

All I see from your friend right now is a lot of hot air from a child who's still learning to form words.
Jesus Christ 7:55 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quiet E 7:56 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Here's the part that you and your friend don't get, it's not about being offended, it's about someone who has little experience of her own, spreading misinformation to the would be DJ as well as looking down on DJs who don't fit in with the superficial bullshit that plagues OUR scene today. The fact that she came into this thread and taunted people for not having as many social network followers as her only reinforces that.

Hey DJ Shamann. Well, let me address what you're saying about misinformation since what she has ranted about is on my actual blog. And this is essentially what I was hinting at in my last post here. If she's having people approach her about booking in her local music scene, then that's her experience. I don't view her thoughts on booking and so on as misinformation because that's been what she's experienced. Even if someone has been involved with DJing and shows for 20 years and the next person has only been involved for 20 months; it doesn't invalidate what less experienced person has gone through. Especially when the internet and music has changed so much over the years.

That's one of the reasons that I blog. When I was first starting out, I didn't have the internet and I didn't know any other DJs with which I could learn from or build with. I definitely didn't have an outlet with like-minded people. I wish I had found a site like this forum or even my blog where I could learn from people and express myself. I think the only prerequisite for being a teacher is that you know more than the person that you're teaching to. So in a forum of people who might have been doing this a while, the blog would land differently than with people who... (and this is the majority of people who find me on my blog right now)... people who are not established and are just starting out, hoping that they can get put on.

When I read her initial rant on FB, it resonated with me that a) I wish someone had said some stuff like this to me when I had just started out b) It goes against the mindset that you should have everything handed to you & c) her rant might be helpful to someone.
Up until having it posted here, the response I've seen on the site, on twitter, facebook, and people emailing me personally has been mostly positive.

But ultimately, it's her post and her thoughts. I can't defend your last point. If you're taking issue with her style or personality, or what you perceive to be her looking down on everyone; that's between y'all. I still will respect her position because it's hers based on her experience. I've met a lot of people locally who know who she is and I've seen her name on a bunch of flyers. So I establish her as an authority on a topic that I want to grow in. One of the reasons, I tried to connect everyone to her is for the same reason everyone meets at a forum. To build community. To learn from each other. To connect.

I will continue to learn and grow from her and from all of you. Much respect.
sixxx 8:05 PM - 26 May, 2012
"Even if someone has been involved with DJing and shows for 20 years and the next person has only been involved for 20 months; it doesn't invalidate what less experienced person has gone through."

Of course not, but it's not really about that. It's about the whole do this and that to be put here. The ONLY thing a DJ should do is DJ, rock the party and get paid. Everything else beyond DJing SHOULD BE A CHOICE, AND A PREREQUISITE TO BE ABLE TO BE PUT ON STAGE
sixxx 8:06 PM - 26 May, 2012
and [b]NOT[b] a prerequisite to be able to be put on stage.
sixxx 8:06 PM - 26 May, 2012
Oh damn.. messed that one up. You see my point. :)
sixxx 8:07 PM - 26 May, 2012
If you read this thread without the pity insults, there is much to learn from it.
Sunny Up 8:10 PM - 26 May, 2012
Lol did we really just get the owner of the blog to write here.
sixxx 8:11 PM - 26 May, 2012
I can't tell you how many times I've had promoters hand me flyers and expect me to pass them out. I immediately hand them back and say THAT IS YOUR JOB. Everyone should have a job. The promoter does his thing. The DJ does his thing. The person putting the event (if it's not the promoter) should handle the labor, etc. The sound person should do his job. Did you contract the sound? Then, you're paying someone to set up and take down the equipment.

EVERYTHING ELSE is a choice. If you feel that being a part of a community is helping out, good. It is.... but it should be willingly. Not by force.
AKIEM 8:11 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Up until having it posted here, the response I've seen on the site, on twitter, facebook, and people emailing me personally has been mostly positive.

exactly
sixxx 8:11 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:

Yeah. Next will be her Mom or Dad.
sixxx 8:12 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

exactly

Yup. Which proves a point.. doesn't. :)
Sunny Up 8:20 PM - 26 May, 2012
This thread reminds me of this:

notyourjukebox.com

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah. Next will be her Mom or Dad.

LMAO. Jerry, jerry, jerry! This is some daytime talkshow shyt going down.
sixxx 8:21 PM - 26 May, 2012
I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but the title of that rant should be

The real reasons I don't want to book you.

Just sayin'....
Quiet E 8:24 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:

Haha, this discussion is awesome for me as I love talking to DJs and connecting with people in different music scenes. It's a big part of what I want to do with my life and I wish this entire thread could have happened on my own site. :-)

I agree with you, Sixxx, on your prerequisite point ideally. But that's the thing, it's somewhat idealistic to expect people to actually do their jobs. Is that our fault? No. But I've experienced that there are a lot of other things you have to do to make your show a success besides just being awesome. And again, there are a lot more un-awesome DJs than awesome ones. So there are things you can do to help you get more shows while you're in the process or while I'm in the process of getting better at the actual craft. Kind of the whole "need experience to get a job, need a job to get experience" thing.
Quiet E 8:30 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but the title of that rant should be

The real reasons I don't want to book you.

Just sayin'....

I feel you.

I just don't have a problem with the title of the post. It was my decision. I wish you all could know about the regular stream of emails I get asking to get booked or get put on a show just because I have a blog or because I'm around in my particular music scene. The title was meant to a)Be intriguing b)Provide shock value in order to get people to pay attention and get more views c) Fit the spirit of the post and the person who wrote it.

That was another reason I reblogged what she had written because as someone who also gets hit up to be put on her shows; I had found a kindred spirit. No apologies in that regard.

I love this discussion. :-)
sixxx 8:31 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Haha, this discussion is awesome for me as I love talking to DJs and connecting with people in different music scenes. It's a big part of what I want to do with my life and I wish this entire thread could have happened on my own site. :-)

I agree with you, Sixxx, on your prerequisite point ideally. But that's the thing, it's somewhat idealistic to expect people to actually do their jobs. Is that our fault? No. But I've experienced that there are a lot of other things you have to do to make your show a success besides just being awesome. And again, there are a lot more un-awesome DJs than awesome ones. So there are things you can do to help you get more shows while you're in the process or while I'm in the process of getting better at the actual craft. Kind of the whole "need experience to get a job, need a job to get experience" thing.

"t's somewhat idealistic to expect people to actually do their jobs." <---

Actually, it's not. If you're paying someone to do their job, either they do it right or they don't. If they don't, you can discuss this WITH THEM and have them do better next time or you will go and HIRE someone else to do that job. This is where the exchange of money for a service comes into place. No good service? No money. It shouldn't be about "favors" especially when they seem "forced".
Quiet E 8:39 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
If you're paying someone to do their job, either they do it right or they don't.

Awesome. So this is where yours and my experience differ. We're both DJs or Artists. Whatever you want to call it. I would not call myself a promoter. I don't think GalaxC Girl would either. I'm going to take a risk and speak for her and say this: No one has ever hit us up and offered us actual money to book them. That would certainly change things. :-)
AKIEM 8:45 PM - 26 May, 2012
you think its a good idea someone pays YOU to play?

this is whats wrong with the entire world
Quiet E 8:49 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
you think its a good idea someone pays YOU to play?

this is whats wrong with the entire world

No, but that's what he's talking about. Paying someone to be a promoter. Or a booker. I think there's a better way. Especially among performers and artists.

Read this one I wrote.
www.quietentertainer.com
Quiet E 8:54 PM - 26 May, 2012
To clarify even further:
If someone had hit me up to book them; offering money to do it:
I'd at least know that person is willing to do a little more than just hit me up saying" Dude, I'm the sickest! You gotta put me on!"
At least with this person, I know i'd not be losing money to book a show for someone who has never done a show before and has only DJ'd in his bedroom. No matter how amazing it is.

Again, not a promoter.
Jesus Christ 9:04 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
To clarify even further:
I'd at least know that person is willing to do a little more than just hit me up saying" Dude, I'm the sickest! You gotta put me on!"
At least with this person, I know i'd not be losing money to book a show for someone who has never done a show before and has only DJ'd in his bedroom. No matter how amazing it is.

Again, not a promoter.

And there it is. -SMH-
AKIEM 9:11 PM - 26 May, 2012
in essence you are asking people to PAY (with services) to play.

that it is the mechanism which allows mediocrity to rise, as it has.

unskilled 'celebrity' are now the "best" - crappy DJing is now presented as excellent - and the party sucks - people just dont know it because they are young and have not experienced any better.

serato.com
the_black_one 9:12 PM - 26 May, 2012
This has some legs on it to be epic... JC and the rest of fight club in here putting the smack down on this cracked out girl.......

Sixxx is right about the ecstasy effects coming to an end

Akiem and his on point responses.

My gosh... my life sux at home and reading this horrible crap puts an evil smile on my face so please Galaxy girl keep feeding the lions!
Quiet E 9:16 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:

Well, I see what you mean. I guess from my own experience, I'm not a great DJ so I've always done whatever I could to get booked until people viewed me as great enough to just get booked on my own merit or skill as a DJ or performer.

But I always just figured; we only live once. If I'm one of these people emailing, do I wait for someone to discover and book me or do I find other ways to proactively get in the game?

Everything I've experienced in my career so far has been by me proactively hustling on my own and supporting others in my music scene. I guess it's a method issue. As far as it goes with me.
AKIEM 9:34 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I see what you mean. I guess from my own experience, I'm not a great DJ so I've always done whatever I could to get booked until people viewed me as great enough to just get booked on my own merit or skill as a DJ or performer.

But I always just figured; we only live once. If I'm one of these people emailing, do I wait for someone to discover and book me or do I find other ways to proactively get in the game?

Everything I've experienced in my career so far has been by me proactively hustling on my own and supporting others in my music scene. I guess it's a method issue. As far as it goes with me.

the problem is you dont see whats wrong here
sixxx 9:41 PM - 26 May, 2012
OThat is NOT what I am talking about.

Promoters get a cut of a the door or a percentage of alcohol sales.
Whatever it is, is money for service.

I DJ (my service) you need to pay me for that service. I have EVER hit anyone up to DJ for free to "come up" or whatever. I did radio, did mobiles, got a name for myself then people hit you up because they HAVE HEARD YOU PLAY AND KNOW YOU ARE GOOD.

DONT EVER SIT IN YOUR BEDROOM AND EXPECT PEOPLE TO HIT YOU UP.
At the same time, don't hit people up looking needy.

Do you think clothing companies hit up major retailers and say, hey... Put me on... I will pay you.... Or give you my clothes for free. Ridiculous!
sixxx 9:43 PM - 26 May, 2012
Ever should be NEVER.... damn auto correct. nm
DJ Michael Basic 10:46 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
To clarify even further:

Again, not a promoter.

I think you've just hit on the crux of the whole argument.

Arguably the most important thing about a DJ-Centric party is the music. If you want to throw a great party, a very important thing, if not the most important thing, is great music. Common sense will tell you that DJs who feel the need to pay to play (in cash or services) are not going to be as good as the DJs who spend the time perfecting their craft, instead of running XLR cables to lighting rigs. If the people throwing the party are giving the edge to DJs who set up trussing and, as you alluded to, offer to pay to play...it is very likely you will sacrifice talent.

Does that mean that I, and everyone else in this thread is not willing to help out if a friend is throwing a party? Absolutely not...but to suggest that this is the reason "you" (the general "you" referred to in the article) aren't getting booked is silly. "The Real Reason nobody wants to book you" is because what's coming out of the speakers when "you" play is likely quite a bit less than amazing. Again, I refer back to GalaxC Girl's Soundcloud as evidence of that.
Mr. Goodkat 10:49 PM - 26 May, 2012
just hire good, established djs, that you have heard and trust to be professional and get galaxcy girl to promote and sell tabs in the bathroom. problem solved.
DJ RaGu 10:56 PM - 26 May, 2012
I can understand the social network part and making yourself promotable, but to be a bus boy or a flyer boy in addition to my djing? That doesnt make too much sense now..
AKIEM 10:58 PM - 26 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
To clarify even further:

Again, not a promoter.

I think you've just hit on the crux of the whole argument.

Arguably the most important thing about a DJ-Centric party is the music. If you want to throw a great party, a very important thing, if not the most important thing, is great music. Common sense will tell you that DJs who feel the need to pay to play (in cash or services) are not going to be as good as the DJs who spend the time perfecting their craft, instead of running XLR cables to lighting rigs. If the people throwing the party are giving the edge to DJs who set up trussing and, as you alluded to, offer to pay to play...it is very likely you will sacrifice talent.

Does that mean that I, and everyone else in this thread is not willing to help out if a friend is throwing a party? Absolutely not...but to suggest that this is the reason "you" (the general "you" referred to in the article) aren't getting booked is silly. "The Real Reason nobody wants to book you" is because what's coming out of the speakers when "you" play is likely quite a bit less than amazing. Again, I refer back to GalaxC Girl's Soundcloud as evidence of that.

but, they are booking her, well she is booking herself, and everyone 'thinks' it sounds great, because of all the hype (same as celebrity hype) - enter the reality of this forum verses - the fanbase of back patters who know no better
revancheX 12:28 AM - 27 May, 2012
Getting booked is a social exercise and popularity contest. Period. Full stop. Even getting a crowd to engage with you has way more to do with knowing how to engage the crowd rather than the music coming out of your speakers.

Yes, I'm cynical. But, seriously, the only people who really care about the music are DJs already (or want to be DJs, but can't get started because they don't know how to work the social angle).

Starting out, it's 99% who you know, and your skill is irrelevant (unless you totally freaking suck).
dj_soo 12:42 AM - 27 May, 2012
Actually, technology has made it so tht even if you totally fucking suck, you can sound passable thanks to things like auto-mix and sync...
DJ Michael Basic 2:01 AM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
Actually, technology has made it so tht even if you totally fucking suck, you can sound passable thanks to things like auto-mix and sync...

And yet...there are still some absolutely TERRIBLE sounding DJs. A lot of whom learned on and use said technology.
DJ Remy USA 2:20 AM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

What ever happened to just being skilled and at what you do and promoting yourself. Yea its a longer road but you build a stronger audience and fan base that way. People actually really like for what you do not because you payed your way to put yourself in front of them at least not in the sense of paying someone to let you play. I understand it takes money to make money but something about paying someone to book you just seems unethical
dj_soo 3:01 AM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
What ever happened to just being skilled and at what you do and promoting yourself.

yea - that's done. no one cares about dj skills anymore other than a select few...
the_black_one 3:27 AM - 27 May, 2012
the more FB friends and people that follow you on tweeter the better! they ask you that before anything else! some can back it up and some cant!!! this cracked out girl can't so save her life
the_black_one 3:27 AM - 27 May, 2012
*To
d:raf 3:43 AM - 27 May, 2012
Meh... all I got out of reading it was <cliff's notes> "Online presence is vital" and "More people will be willing to work with you if you're more helpful/interested than entitled/detached"</cliff's notes>. The rest is all semantics to me.

Does that make it art?
Sunny Up 7:25 PM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
Meh... all I got out of reading it was <cliff's notes> "Online presence is vital" and "More people will be willing to work with you if you're more helpful/interested than entitled/detached"</cliff's notes>. The rest is all semantics to me.

Does that make it art?

Watchwww.youtube.com this is pretty artistic imo
DJ Remy USA 8:44 PM - 27 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
What ever happened to just being skilled and at what you do and promoting yourself.

yea - that's done. no one cares about dj skills anymore other than a select few...

man thats why I never get booked cause I more skilled.....oh well I thought it was just because people are use to instant gratification without putting in the work. Im building my fan base based off my song selection and skill set for movin the party. Thats the best way to do it, its just not instant gratification like the new DJs want it to be.
DJ Remy USA 8:45 PM - 27 May, 2012
Fuk being a popular DJ just because you know alot of people its all about having a loyal following that digs your sound and what you do.
ced_so_thoed 11:00 PM - 27 May, 2012
ay
Just because a DJ doesn't help do venue preparation/closure activities doesn't make that person a piece of shit or not a nice person. Everywhere I've dj'd folks that worked there loved me because it was a good fun night that I provided. If I felt like helping then I helped. But usually I don't because they either don't need my help or they are already done. I'm usually the last to leave the place anyway because of what I bring. But I'll put it like this, if I want to get in at an event, I'll try to find a plug. Try to see if a friend knows someone that runs things or talk to the promoter. I would know and feel confident enough that if the person who is in charge of the talent heard my demo or mix cd, they'd want me to get put on. That's how I got to where I am. My skills led me to meet the people who put me in the positions that were needed. Now naturally, I'd put the flyer on my Facebook if I think the event needs help but usually the promoters I deal with do a good job at what they do. Shit I hardly do shit to my FB page. I get booked from my radio shows and battles because people like what they hear. And folks know me as a bad ass dj. Djs know me and they ask if I can guest dj their events because they know I can turn the mutha fucka out. And I'm sure a lot of other djs on here are like that. We get bookings the right way by being dope.

The real reason no one wants to book you: you lack dopeness in the mix
yep
Dj Corleone508 12:21 AM - 28 May, 2012
in my area there are tons of dj's(some posers and some badass talent) only a handful of venues and more importantly people who like to party, the hardest thing in my city is making people come out and support you. with that being said to make the party dope you need to book the promoter who has the biggest crowd, the dopest dj to make them rock and a sick venue sounds easy right? well not really because the sickest venue hired an idiot promoter, the popular promoter books his ass clown frat bro to spin the party and slowly loses his crowd over time for eventually throwing shitty parties. so this leaves all the dope djs looking for work but they cant get into the best venue cuz the promoter cant get people through the doors and they can't link up with the good promoter cuz he only books his homie. no matter what anyone one person does there will be atleast one link in the equation to fuck you over kinda like a night life rocks paper scissor game.I personally have busted my ass to acquire my gear, knowledge of music and skills but it doesnt matter unless everyone works together and gets the equation together... its not aeronautical engineering (rocket science). guess all im saying is no one element should be held higher than the other....
revancheX 3:27 AM - 28 May, 2012
Quote:
in my area there are tons of dj's(some posers and some badass talent) only a handful of venues and more importantly people who like to party, the hardest thing in my city is making people come out and support you. with that being said to make the party dope you need to book the promoter who has the biggest crowd, the dopest dj to make them rock and a sick venue sounds easy right? well not really because the sickest venue hired an idiot promoter, the popular promoter books his ass clown frat bro to spin the party and slowly loses his crowd over time for eventually throwing shitty parties. so this leaves all the dope djs looking for work but they cant get into the best venue cuz the promoter cant get people through the doors and they can't link up with the good promoter cuz he only books his homie. no matter what anyone one person does there will be atleast one link in the equation to fuck you over kinda like a night life rocks paper scissor game.I personally have busted my ass to acquire my gear, knowledge of music and skills but it doesnt matter unless everyone works together and gets the equation together... its not aeronautical engineering (rocket science). guess all im saying is no one element should be held higher than the other....

I had to check to see where you were from, because that sounds exactly like my scene.
DJ Reflex 7:33 PM - 28 May, 2012
This might be a bit of a stretch form the topic, but I am mostly a wedding DJ. I have to bust my butt at bridal expos and reception halls to get any sort of recognition for my services. I'm up against bigger, more established DJ businesses in the area, but I still am booked every weekend.

The difference... attitude and personality! Of the 5 DJs that show up to some of these regular events, only 2 (me included) can mix. That leaves 3 DJs with crappy skills (no skills other than being a jukebox), crappy looking equipment and lights, low grade sound equipment, and little more to offer than making announcements and playing whatever music the bride chooses for the night. Here's the kicker - they are booked just as much as I am.

Do I have to be my own promoter... Yes! Do I get booked based on my skills... NO! It's not until after the wedding do I get a compliment or two about mixing, keeping the dance floor packed, or playing the right music for the crowd.

Although I've been busy for years on referrals and word-of-mouth- bookings, most clients consider these things when hiring me:
1. Cost - Are you cheaper than the other guy?
2. Personality - Do you seem like a nice fella?
3. Do you have Up-Lights :)

It is a sad state of affairs that the only ones who really care about DJ skills are.. the DJs. I'd hate to have to be reduced to a self promoter 99% of the time just to get gigs. I'm gonna keep up my skills - albeit for weddings and school dances mostly - and enjoy those referrals when they call me. Some where - out there is a client that hired me because of reason number 4. I blew away all the other DJs in the area and kicked ass behind the turntables!
sixxx 8:01 PM - 28 May, 2012
Nowhere did I see anything about ADVERTISING. You'd be amazed how small advertising goes a long way. Local papers, TV, radio.

Oh, btw, the reason the other DJ's who are less skilled are also booked just as much IS BECAUSE THERE IS HIGH DEMAND FOR WEDDINGS and if no one is there to fill the spot, guess what? They're going to go with whoever... or they just don't know better and they don't care. Most brides don't give a fuck about a DJ. They don't know. They care about everything else... the DJ usually comes last. That's why they look for the cheapest but they're willing to spend waaaay more on flowers, etc.
Papa Midnight 8:02 PM - 28 May, 2012
DJ Reflex: such seems to be the nature of the business these days...

Man, has this topic come-about 180° or what?
sixxx 8:07 PM - 28 May, 2012
These are the reasons a bride (or groom, or both) will hire you.

(not in any particular order and it could be a combination of these reasons too)
1. Price (Those who are on a budget)
2. Experience/Recognized Brand (Your company is well known even if it's not the best)
3. Recommendation (Friend swears by you)
4. Advertising (they don't know you but they trust an ad they saw/heard)
5. Skills (Also Experience) (They ACTUALLY have heard you mix or do a wedding and they want you)
6. They're on a bind. Last minute gig for whatever reason and you're the lucky one they contacted you.

I think that about sums it up. I've picked up a ton of gigs from club or radio gigs because they've heard me play and they like what I play, how I mix, etc.
sixxx 8:07 PM - 28 May, 2012
Oh, and 7. I forgot the almighty "We're family" type of deal. I personally try to avoid DJing for family. hahaha
DJ Unique 8:22 PM - 28 May, 2012
Quote:
Oh, and 7. I forgot the almighty "We're family" type of deal. I personally try to avoid DJing for family. hahaha

Same here.
They expect freebies.

If a friend of the family wants to hire me, they expect an almost free rate.
GTFOHWTB
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:44 PM - 28 May, 2012
This whole thing could have been avoided if the thread was called "The real reason im getting booked..A Confession"
ced_so_thoed 9:56 PM - 28 May, 2012
Quote:

ay
*drives truck through house*
FUCKING THANK YOU!!!!
/end thread
yep
DJ Reflex 6:11 AM - 29 May, 2012
Quote:
Most brides don't give a fuck about a DJ. They don't know. They care about everything else... the DJ usually comes last. That's why they look for the cheapest but they're willing to spend waaaay more on flowers, etc.

Roger that! It's amazing how much money is spent on all the extra crap that people think they need. The only thing they remember are the pictures (3 months after the photographer prints them) and the DJ who either rocked the party or completely ruined their night.
sixxx 2:43 PM - 29 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Most brides don't give a fuck about a DJ. They don't know. They care about everything else... the DJ usually comes last. That's why they look for the cheapest but they're willing to spend waaaay more on flowers, etc.

Roger that! It's amazing how much money is spent on all the extra crap that people think they need. The only thing they remember are the pictures (3 months after the photographer prints them) and the DJ who either rocked the party or completely ruined their night.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they do care about the DJ AFTER THE PARTY. hahahaha

I've had plenty of gigs where I was hired because they saw me played and they kept telling me, "the last DJ we had sucked" or whatever.
Sureshot (PA) 6:38 AM - 30 May, 2012
IBTL?
filitico 9:39 AM - 30 May, 2012
ok.

I just read this ENTIRE thread about some delusional promoter/bj chick and her pr blogger friend and decided that this is indeed a forum i'd like to be a part of. thanks for all the lulz!

epic.

some magical moments include:
"muffin tops"
"ay, yep"
"the skeet autographs"
looking at her facebook pics (wtf)
and a semi-serious chat about wedding gigs to top it off <3
Jesus Christ 10:00 AM - 30 May, 2012
Quote:
ok.

I just read this ENTIRE thread about some delusional promoter/bj chick and her pr blogger friend and decided that this is indeed a forum i'd like to be a part of. thanks for all the lulz!

epic.

some magical moments include:
"muffin tops"
"ay, yep"
"the skeet autographs"
looking at her facebook pics (wtf)
and a semi-serious chat about wedding gigs to top it off <3

Welcome aboard! :)
O.B.1 12:13 PM - 30 May, 2012
LOL didn't catch that last one until Jesus helped me see the light...

this thread is full of epic WINNING!

I agree that the best part is the "skeet autograph" depiction.

ay
ced_so_thoed ... you have cred
yep
ced_so_thoed 3:53 PM - 30 May, 2012
Quote:

ay
ced_so_thoed ... you have cred
yep

ay
thank you kind sir
yep
Papa Midnight 4:23 PM - 30 May, 2012
Quote:
IBTL?

If this thread hasn't been locked by now... hahahahahahaha.

Quote:
LOL didn't catch that last one until Jesus helped me see the light...

The Force wasn't enough? :P
filitico 11:41 PM - 27 August, 2012
best thread ever people. i actually signed up to this forum because of it. again please.
VDJ ASTRO 3:21 AM - 5 September, 2012
wow this thread has been intense and funny at the same time. i also started at the age of 16 in underground warehouse, even desert partys or "Raves", illegal house partys and saw a few people die , i saw a fellow dj get shot in the face cause he didn't have any hip-hop music and yes we all did it for free to very lil money, mostly for party scene fame but at the end of the day no one really cares how good you dj, instead you have to kiss the head promoters ass and do a lot of free labor,

i too vj and dj but regardless of who the rant was for that galaxc girl was aimed at even if i was bearly starting i would take that attitude and dump it in the trash, i sub for a-lot of dj's here in vegas and really don't care for the fame ill rather get paid. and yes i still run in to new promoters, djs, and club owners who think you have to do every one elses job to get booked, and I advice any DJ new or old we work enough getting our sets,and gear together. "Know Your Worth" and get your paper if some one books you even after you charged them, and you get booked again then you got enough talent you dont need a Dj to be a Dj.
Papa Midnight 4:17 AM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
i saw a fellow dj get shot in the face cause he didn't have any hip-hop music

What the fuck?
DJ Unique 4:20 AM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

What the fuck?

That's a bullshit party and I'm glad I've never had to DJ for losers like that.
VDJ ASTRO 4:26 AM - 5 September, 2012
we used to only play hard house,hardcore, and happy hardcore. mid to late 90's
Rebel party crews, and groovers, ruled the party scene, some times gang bangers woul crash the party's and start stuff with the rebels and groovers. fights would break out and the results woul be stabbing to shootings.

glad the scene is more under control now we still get shootings now and then but not as bad. like the one at crown night club at the rio.
VDJ ASTRO 4:27 AM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What the fuck?

That's a bullshit party and I'm glad I've never had to DJ for losers like that.

it happens even in large venues but now very rare.
d:raf 4:38 AM - 5 September, 2012
I remember hearing gunshots (followed by a rapid mass exodus of cars) at the club next to the one I was playing once... thankfully that's as close to flying bullets that I've ever been.

Then there was this story someone posted on the board a while back... www.ajc.com
VDJ ASTRO 4:51 AM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
I remember hearing gunshots (followed by a rapid mass exodus of cars) at the club next to the one I was playing once... thankfully that's as close to flying bullets that I've ever been.

Then there was this story someone posted on the board a while back... www.ajc.com

he lived to his stage name. he looks like an outlaw.
ced_so_thoed 8:25 PM - 5 September, 2012
ay
damn
yep
Frankie Glasses 11:33 PM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

What the fuck?

you dj so bad?
DJ Alkemy 11:36 PM - 5 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What the fuck?

you dj so bad?

LOL
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:10 AM - 6 September, 2012
i bet that coward aint even smoke crack
d:raf 3:40 AM - 6 September, 2012
Quote:
i bet that'll coward aint even smoke crack

fixed
VDJ ASTRO 5:08 AM - 6 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What the fuck?

you dj so bad?

LOL

Everything seems funny till it happens to you. He was actually very popular but at that time we didn't have any computer software running our music collection we had to buy all our music and at 6-13 dollars a record with 3 songs at the most it was pretty expensive to have every genre out there plus we didn't even have full time jobs cause we were all going to school. Any way now we should all thank these new tools we all use to make it wayyy much easier to Dj.
World Famous Feez 7:52 AM - 6 September, 2012
dj debbie downer
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:36 PM - 6 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What the fuck?

you dj so bad?

LOL

Everything seems funny till it happens to you. He was actually very popular but at that time we didn't have any computer software running our music collection we had to buy all our music and at 6-13 dollars a record with 3 songs at the most it was pretty expensive to have every genre out there plus we didn't even have full time jobs cause we were all going to school. Any way now we should all thank these new tools we all use to make it wayyy much easier to Dj.

Cool story bro, tell us some more
Taipanic 2:30 PM - 6 September, 2012
Quote:

... we didn't have any computer software running our music collection we had to buy all our music and at 6-13 dollars a record with 3 songs at the most it was pretty expensive to have every genre out there plus we didn't even have full time jobs cause we were all going to school. Any way now we should all thank these new tools we all use to make it wayyy much easier to Dj.

Not really. All this has done is dilute the DJ talent pool and the money that can be made. It was much better when DJ's were truly dedicated people who put invested heavily in their craft. I have easily spent over $100k on music over the years - now anyone with access to their parent's Internet account is a DJ with a 10k song collection. You never had people go from never before DJing to headlining clubs in 6 months time. The quality and dedication are not the same, the overall level of DJ quality has been greatly diluted over the last 10 years. Sadly, nobody cares except for us...
VDJ ASTRO 3:05 PM - 6 September, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
... we didn't have any computer software running our music collection we had to buy all our music and at 6-13 dollars a record with 3 songs at the most it was pretty expensive to have every genre out there plus we didn't even have full time jobs cause we were all going to school. Any way now we should all thank these new tools we all use to make it wayyy much easier to Dj.

Not really. All this has done is dilute the DJ talent pool and the money that can be made. It was much better when DJ's were truly dedicated people who put invested heavily in their craft. I have easily spent over $100k on music over the years - now anyone with access to their parent's Internet account is a DJ with a 10k song collection. You never had people go from never before DJing to headlining clubs in 6 months time. The quality and dedication are not the same, the overall level of DJ quality has been greatly diluted over the last 10 years. Sadly, nobody cares except for us...

I agree but only the strong survive there's a lot of wanna b's out there but I know my "worth" he'll I've heard some Djs on the radio that sound like a train wreck.
revancheX 7:47 PM - 6 September, 2012
The future is in performance--DJs will have to become musicians again. THAT will freaking weed out the pretenders in a hurry.
DJ Reflex 11:08 PM - 6 September, 2012
Quote:
I agree but only the strong survive there's a lot of wanna b's out there but I know my "worth" he'll I've heard some Djs on the radio that sound like a train wreck.

I just got a call from a frantic bride who wants me to DJ her wedding in 3 weeks because she went to check out her DJ that she already has booked and realized that he was a complete tool with no skills. She wants to drop him and hire someone else who can do a good job and has the right music selection. Goes to show that there are people on the outside who still care! :)
DJ Unique 11:15 PM - 6 September, 2012
Quote:
I just got a call from a frantic bride who wants me to DJ her wedding in 3 weeks because she went to check out her DJ that she already has booked and realized that he was a complete tool with no skills. She wants to drop him and hire someone else who can do a good job and has the right music selection. Goes to show that there are people on the outside who still care! :)

I love when that happens.
Similar thing happened to me last week except her DJ flaked on her. He was charging her $250 for the event. I quoted her $500 and she got scared of the so-called extremely high price. If I would have quoted her the $700 I normally charge, I'm sure she would have had a heart attack... LOL
DJ Reflex 9:35 PM - 7 September, 2012
DJ Unique - right on! I'm sure she will thank you immensely afterward for your $500 wedding! She'll know what kind of deal she got after you rock the party. Your so -called extremely high price is worth every penny for quality entertainment at your wedding.

There is another thread that talks about the same issues. Brides thinking that $700-$1000 is too pricey for the DJ when they spend that on flowers for the church! Go with a $200 DJ and get a $200 wedding reception - that's what I say. We don't charge more for no reason, we charge more because we're good!
VDJ ASTRO 3:56 AM - 11 September, 2012
Quote:
DJ Unique - right on! I'm sure she will thank you immensely afterward for your $500 wedding! She'll know what kind of deal she got after you rock the party. Your so -called extremely high price is worth every penny for quality entertainment at your wedding.

There is another thread that talks about the same issues. Brides thinking that $700-$1000 is too pricey for the DJ when they spend that on flowers for the church! Go with a $200 DJ and get a $200 wedding reception - that's what I say. We don't charge more for no reason, we charge more because we're good!

yes sir like i said early on this thread if you get called more than once and get what you ask for than you know your good i got a client who books me for every function he needs a dj for and also bought me a g raid drive when i told him my drive was full and i needed a new one.