DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MY GOSH... Stop putting the Computer right infront of you!!

the_black_one 2:28 AM - 22 February, 2012
Drives me nuts when i see a dj have the computer right in front and all they do is stare at it. I could maybe understand beofre SL had midi but not now. You can get a midi controller and move the computer to the side. Makes me do this gifs.gifbin.com and leave the club/bar.
maddogsguy 2:35 AM - 22 February, 2012
I have a road case that puts my laptop right above my mixer right in front of me. I keep it low so I can look over it while I am reading the crowd. I don't stare at it, but it is a convinenint place to keep it. I don't think it makes me a bad dj to have it in that location. I have seen dj's that stare straight at the screen and I too am annoyed by that. However glancing at it when choosing or loading songs allows me to read the crowd while I am selecting tracks.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:49 AM - 22 February, 2012
Just when I thought I read the last of the ridiculous threads for the night.
the_black_one 3:02 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
Just when I thought I read the last of the ridiculous threads for the night.

how could you ever mix if you didn't look at the screen right?
str8nger 3:05 AM - 22 February, 2012
who gives the 2 shits what other dj's do! if you aint doing it, then don't worry about it. people always bitch and moan about what the other dj's doing. but reality i think we hate because we wish we where up there mixing and not them lol
the_black_one 3:11 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
who gives the 2 shits what other dj's do! if you aint doing it, then don't worry about it. people always bitch and moan about what the other dj's doing. but reality i think we hate because we wish we where up there mixing and not them lol

Not really.. I work 5 night a week DJing. I dont want their gig. I want to be entertained by a professional.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:11 AM - 22 February, 2012
how could you ever mix if you didn't look at the screen right?

Naw...more like how you let the way a DJ has his equipment set up make you leave or stay in the club.
the_black_one 3:12 AM - 22 February, 2012
Noobs make me leave
str8nger 3:15 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Not really.. I work 5 night a week DJing. I dont want their gig. I want to be entertained by a professional.

oh here we go the dj that has 5 gigs a week and he's better than everyone! seems like you ain't doing shit today if you sitting here bitching about some lame ass stuff, i rather be spinning some beats.
chasetimeless 3:19 AM - 22 February, 2012
seriously this pisses you off, a dj should be able to put his equipment where comfortable but then again venting here probably saves your psych bills sheeze.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:20 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
Noobs make me leave

So because their laptop is in front of them they are noobs. I see now, its clear.
hyun 3:20 AM - 22 February, 2012
how about we give a big FU to serato and start carrying crates again?
dj_soo 3:23 AM - 22 February, 2012
personally, I agree - as a party goer, I don't like seeing a DJ put their laptop directly in front of them - basically looks like they're just checking their email all night long.

As a DJ, I don't really care what others do, but I do think it will suck you into the screen more than if it were off to the side. I have a hard enough time keeping my gaze away from the laptop as is even though I don't use the waves to beatmatch - I'm always looking at the song wavforms to see breaks and drops, and scanning through my tracks trying to find the next one to play...

The worst is if the booth is elevated. Nothing like looking up at the DJ and only seeing an apple logo.
Steve Dub. 3:25 AM - 22 February, 2012
I have gigs where I put my laptop on the side and I have gigs where I have to put it right in front because of the set up. My sets are the same either way. Who gives a fuck where the laptop is as long as the DJ is doing a good job.
maddogsguy 3:26 AM - 22 February, 2012
Agreed Steve, I don't care where the laptop is. I can tell if a dj is using it as a crutch or as a tool. Just relax and enjoy the music.
djbigmark 3:29 AM - 22 February, 2012
wasted thread lets move on - nothing to see here folks
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:34 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:

Word!
DJ GOOK 3:49 AM - 22 February, 2012
I really do not get this thread because I have my lap top in front of me, this don't mean I'm looking at the waves because my wave bars or what ever they call is not lined up with each other.The left one is in the top left corner and the right is in the top right corner. I think that is why when you hit the space bar you don't have to look at the waves.
the_black_one 3:57 AM - 22 February, 2012
On my way to my gig! Will post pics to prove
Mike_P 3:58 AM - 22 February, 2012
lol. and when quick mixing i can reach all the way over to the left or right to hit a track or cue? that's pretty dumb. trust me, i do it every mobile gig because my table isn't big enough to put the laptop in front of me. it's a pain in the ass to say the least.
the_black_one 4:55 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

oh here we go the dj that has 5 gigs a week and he's better than everyone! seems like you ain't doing shit today if you sitting here bitching about some lame ass stuff, i rather be spinning some beats.

i638.photobucket.com
lvmez 4:58 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
I have gigs where I put my laptop on the side and I have gigs where I have to put it right in front because of the set up. My sets are the same either way. Who gives a fuck where the laptop is as long as the DJ is doing a good job.

+1000000000
the_black_one 5:01 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i638.photobucket.com

link fail....

here is the good one i638.photobucket.com
dj_craigmac 5:15 AM - 22 February, 2012
my laptop is always in front of me cause thats my choice. I've been in the game since 1983 so i've earned the right to setup however i want to. i'm way past trying to look cool for other dj's.
hyun 5:34 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i638.photobucket.com

link fail....

here is the good one i638.photobucket.com

how is that any different than in front of you, that s--t is a laptop length to the right
the_black_one 5:40 AM - 22 February, 2012
people can see my face and not an apple
the_black_one 5:49 AM - 22 February, 2012
people see me see them and it looks like in djing not checking my e-mail
the_black_one 5:50 AM - 22 February, 2012
my eyes are on the dance floor and the bar and not on the screen
DJ NoNseNse 6:04 AM - 22 February, 2012
I like it off to the side a little bit but sometimes depending how things are set up you don't have a choice
Kadilac 6:31 AM - 22 February, 2012
echa1945mf 6:35 AM - 22 February, 2012

buuuuuuuuuurn hahahahhaha good one
the_black_one 6:47 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:

there is an exception to every rule
echa1945mf 6:51 AM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
the_black_one 6:59 AM - 22 February, 2012
DJ'Que 8:35 AM - 22 February, 2012
So having speakers on each side of us should make us mad.

Since people like steve dub crys about grammer.

But it dont bother me if im at a club to party and the dj laptop is in front of him.

Were the only ones that really care as dj's just like if he's wack were like I can do better.
Papa Midnight 10:07 AM - 22 February, 2012
int.na.tl
If you're getting the job done, who gives a crap?
I go to a club, I don't care what the DJ's using or how they're using it, I'm there to enjoy myself. I don't care if the laptop's in front, to the side, under, over... Hell, I frankly don't care if you're wearing these old fossils: www.i-glassesstore.com

If you're getting the job done and doing it right, how you're doing it isn't going to concern me.

The only time I concern myself with the DJ is when they're trainwrecking or messing up in any other manner. The only other time is when it's someone I've never seen DJ before and I go to introduce myself.

The rest of the 239 minutes I've got left over on the typical 10-2 night (where the DJ is doing their job just fine), I'm spending it enjoying myself, not glancing at the booth every few seconds to see if the DJ is looking at the laptop or not while he mixes. I'll save that for a DJ competition.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

int.na.tl
Now we're compromising just because it's DJ Jazzy Jeff, yet the very first post had you as being completely against it regardless of circumstances? Or better yet, if the laptop is in front of them, they're a noob. Really?
int.na.tl

Quote:
Quote:

Word!

int.na.tl
sixxx 5:03 PM - 22 February, 2012
This!!!

Quote:

Same here. I have gigs where I put my laptop to the side and gigs where I have my laptop right in front of me on top (behind) my mixer. Oh, and times where I just bring one turntable. Either way, I'm probably better than most of the knuckleheadz wanna be DJ's in the crowd who give a shit about how I place my equipment.
sixxx 5:06 PM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
how is that any different than in front of you, that s--t is a laptop length to the right

hahahahaha
dj-dave-d 5:55 PM - 22 February, 2012
ideally i dont want it infront of me but it is the only place to put it in the consoles i work in, so im terribly sorry it offends you so much lmao........ douche
nativespinner 5:57 PM - 22 February, 2012
If I have the space I like mine to the side. I like to be able to see the crowd and it seems when its in front I pay more attention to it.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:41 PM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:

word. it really depends on the booth and how much space I have. Ideally I like it really low, just above the mixer, so I have plenty of room to see the crowd
ZESH! 6:47 PM - 22 February, 2012
But I LIKE the laptop in the center :( OMG I SUCK!

Oh wait...I'm tall soooo...yea I can see the crowd, and the crowd can see me.
Look at meeee I'm the DJ Look at meeeeeeeeee..........................

All jokes aside. What's the big deal? Everyone knows that most DJs use laptops. If it's positioned too high for you to see the crowd, stand on couple phone books (wait...those are played out) use a crate (sh!t those are played out too) ummm.... GROW.

IMO I think you look silly looking sideways and away from the crowd while scrolling around for your next file. (Please don't bring up the "back in the day" with the crates thing. I'm all too familiar with the fact you had to step away from the tables unless you had someone helping flip through wax)
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:22 PM - 22 February, 2012
I have a 15 foot usb that I use so I can put the laptop in my car or behind the bar that way I can dj AND get a great wirkout sprinting back and forth, #realpro
CMOS 7:31 PM - 22 February, 2012
I still want to see these 26" laptops you guys are using that it blocks the entire dance floor from your view.
nativespinner 8:12 PM - 22 February, 2012
Whoa! 26" laptops!
Mr. Goodkat 8:47 PM - 22 February, 2012
quit staring at the dj, and dance or talk to chicks/friends?

my question is, if the guy is playing records or cds, what is going to be overly stimulating to the point that its going to make or break your nite?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:03 PM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:

Thats what facebooks for, I like to facetime while I spin lol
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:26 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:

+1 and a bag of M&Ms.
FighteRanger 1:38 AM - 23 February, 2012
So what, the DJ stares at his computer the entire time. It can be annoying a little, but still, as long as the music is coming out fine and as long as the crowd are dancing to it, who gives a f***!!!....What will you rather have, throw Serato in the trash and start carrying crates, doing the 1..2..3..1, 1..2..3..2 count or use a computer???…

Quote:

And Yes
DJDBAG 1:38 AM - 23 February, 2012
how the F(%$ big are all of your computers that you cant see over them if they are in front of you?

jeez la weez sometimes these boards are useless. Lets start another push button dj or microwave dj thread while we are at it
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:41 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
how the F(%$ big are all of your computers that you cant see over them if they are in front of you?

jeez la weez sometimes these boards are useless. Lets start another push button dj or microwave dj thread while we are at it

Ask and ye shall receive. serato.com
Mike_P 1:43 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:

maybe they have really small heads. (NH/NM)
DJDBAG 1:47 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Ask and ye shall receive. serato.com

hahah that thread was the reason i ranted lol
MelonHead 4:17 AM - 23 February, 2012
do u go to clubs specifically to pick on DJs while their spinning? I bet you're that clown who comes up to DJs in the middle of a party acting as if we know you & then wanna talk ish about how we have this here & that here.. GET THE HELL OUT THE BOOTH DOUCHE.. I don't know you maaaan!
str8nger 4:53 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
people can see my face and not an apple

the same shit! you have it right in front of you!!! thread fail!!!!!! buahahahahaha
echa1945mf 5:19 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
I have a 15 foot usb that I use so I can put the laptop in my car or behind the bar that way I can dj AND get a great wirkout sprinting back and forth, #realpro

i need to loose weight, i think ill do this

yea right hahahahahahahaha
DJWALDO 10:26 AM - 23 February, 2012
while you stood there and complained and then came home and decided to get behind a computer and talk shit about it he was busy doing this.......

Watchwww.youtube.com

stop whining about what someone else does and worry about ya damn self
echa1945mf 10:51 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
while you stood there and complained and then came home and decided to get behind a computer and talk shit about it he was busy doing this.......

Watchwww.youtube.com

stop whining about what someone else does and worry about ya damn self

*bowing down to the queen

whoever the dj that got picked to be her tour DJ , damn man youre a lucky cat
echa1945mf 10:56 AM - 23 February, 2012
holy shit thats enferno !! hes madonna tour DJ ?? enferno was playing another superclub last month here in indonesia ...damn i would kill to get a chance too see him , too bad my club is also having a huge party T_T craaaaaaap
DJWALDO 11:17 AM - 23 February, 2012
I catch him in DC as often as I can.... think he or anyone listening to him gives 2 shits or half a rat's ass where his laptop is? NOPE. There's only 2 types of people that give a fuck.... whack, complacent, small time djs and the ever loved "club nazi". We all know the club nazi... "why don't they have glassware? Why do they have to have all these strobe lights (meaning any light that might flash at all)? Why are the vip sections so much it's just a table? I waited in line 5 minutes longer than I did last week I should get in free....

Anyone that actually came out to a nightclub didn't come to stare at the dj's sweaty, flustered, ugly face... they came to get drunk, dance, see and be seen, and try to get laid.... the dj soap box is the size of the trucks taking too long to get the fuckin Rane 62 to the east coast.
blackavenger 1:32 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

So if dude was ripping it, but looking at the waveforms, then he is "unprofessional"? What the fuck ever!!! Some of Y'all really trip me out.......stop worrying about what the DJ is lookin' like, what he's doing......in the grand scheme of things, it's irrelevant! I remember when I would go to a party, and I would rarely even look at the DJ. My friends and I were having too much fun dancing to care what the fuck the DJ was doing.....now if he came off beat, or made a fucked up transition.....then all eyes would be squarely fixed on him, but otherwise.....
blackavenger 1:34 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
I have gigs where I put my laptop to the side and gigs where I have my laptop right in front of me on top (behind) my mixer. Oh, and times where I just bring one turntable. Either way, I'm probably better than most of the knuckleheadz wanna be DJ's in the crowd who give a shit about how I place my equipment.

Word.
Futuretek 3:04 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Agreed Steve, I don't care where the laptop is. I can tell if a dj is using it as a crutch or as a tool. Just relax and enjoy the music.

+1

If it sounds good, he could be laying his chin on the keyboard. It really doesn't matter. let the dude perform the way he wants to. I'd rather that then some guy jumping around with off mixes.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:30 PM - 23 February, 2012
In all seriousness at my current spot on some nights having it in front of me is a lifesaver, its a small venue, verry narrow, and the stage is right by/level to the people so your practically starring at the same people all night so id perfer to look like im checking my email rather than beeing the dj whos creepily starring at people all night
DJ GOOK 3:42 PM - 23 February, 2012
I guess the next beef is going to be A real DJ have his turn tables battle style! Get a life
Papa Midnight 5:13 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
I guess the next beef is going to be A real DJ have his turn tables battle style! Get a life

I know I personally prefer battlestyle when I use TT's... :P

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So if dude was ripping it, but looking at the waveforms, then he is "unprofessional"? What the fuck ever!!! Some of Y'all really trip me out.......stop worrying about what the DJ is lookin' like, what he's doing......in the grand scheme of things, it's irrelevant! I remember when I would go to a party, and I would rarely even look at the DJ. My friends and I were having too much fun dancing to care what the fuck the DJ was doing.....now if he came off beat, or made a fucked up transition.....then all eyes would be squarely fixed on him, but otherwise.....

Pretty much says it all.

Can't help but notice OP started to get ripped apart and has thoroughly disappeared.
the_black_one 1:36 AM - 24 February, 2012
Audio 1 from another discussion. i agree

Audio1 4:42 PM 23 February 2012
In the age of laptops and digital gear, Some see it as less focus on the crowd. DJing should ultimately be about interacting musically and visually with the crowd. Some people look like rookies behind a laptop. To each his/her own. At all costs, I personally prefer the laptop to the side. Focus on the people on the floor, not as much on the laptop itself.

Another point: Newer generation of DJ's never actually learned to DJ by ear. Most learned by chasing waveforms. That's another topic. I've got 99 problems but a wack DJ surely ain't one.
dj_soo 2:01 AM - 24 February, 2012
It also depends on the gig and who you're playing to... if you're not the focus of a club or bar and are only there to provide the musical backdrop and to make people dance to all the hits, then who cares what the dj is doing because the crowd sure doesn't - at least not on an active level.

But if you're a headliner or doing a performance-based gig then a lot of people prefer to see the DJ actually look like they're into the music and the performance rather than being buried in the screen.

Again, my personal preference when I'm paying money to see a DJ is to see him or her actually interacting with the crowd and actually performing. That said, I never set foot is standard mainstream club nights anymore unless I'm DJing and to be honest, I'm sure I look as bored as I feel at a lot of those gigs...
Dj JesC 2:08 AM - 24 February, 2012
i have too when im djing and e-filing peoples taxes at the club. Dont knock my hustle, gotta pill the bills.
Dj JesC 2:09 AM - 24 February, 2012
*pill = pay

typo
sixxx 3:36 AM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
i have too when im djing and e-filing peoples taxes at the club. Dont knock my hustle, gotta pill the bills.

hahaha
the_black_one 7:21 PM - 24 February, 2012
another comment i agree with

WarpNote 4:07 AM 22 February 2012
rjfermin,
I think you forgot about the feature many regards as the most useful with pioneer HID mode on current CDJ's. Being able to see track info on the display, play time, remain time. Might not seem much to you, but for many, this takes focus back to the decks instead of staring at a computer screen like a hypnotized monkey
Dj JesC 8:44 PM - 24 February, 2012
Who cares if they are playing in Zombie mode, if anything I feel someone is being a hater cause they are not playing at the gigs where Zombie DJ is playing.
the_black_one 9:18 PM - 24 February, 2012
Lol... No hate
Dj JesC 11:52 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
Lol... No hate

sometimes we have no choice but to put the laptop in from of us, i dont want to risk putting my laptop on the side where a drink could fall on it.
DJ DisGrace 12:59 AM - 25 February, 2012
Before Serato I spent most of my time with my back turned, digging thru records... still managed to read the crowd ok
Dysquo 1:03 AM - 25 February, 2012
Quote:
#Truth

My Laptop is my Billboard... It has my Logo & Name, and I want it in front where the crowd can see it!
sixxx 9:06 AM - 25 February, 2012
Quote:
Before Serato I spent most of my time with my back turned, digging thru records... still managed to read the crowd ok

Yup. Excellent point.
sixxx 9:07 AM - 25 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
#Truth

My Laptop is my Billboard... It has my Logo & Name, and I want it in front where the crowd can see it!

Another great point. Even though my laptop has nothing on it, I totally understand what you mean.
the_black_one 6:15 AM - 26 February, 2012
i agree...

Niro 10:29 PM 25 February 2012
I didn't get a chance to read the whole post, in a rush to go DJ. but I wanted to say. Posers need to be called out. We live in a generation of everyone gets a trophy, even if you suck. Being a professional DJ has certain skill sets, like being able to match beats by ear and not relying on training wheels to do so.

For all the people that say I don't care how or what the DJ rocks the crowd with, just as long as he does it, is WACK. I care how the DJ does it, he is the entertainment and is paid to perform (which is him/her DJing.) I want to see him match beats, I want to see the DJ work their equipment like another professional. Posers shouldn't be respected as a professional, nothing good comes from it. The bar gets lower and we move backwards in the evolution of the art form. Take time and learn your craft and don't be a POSER.
Papa Midnight 6:23 AM - 26 February, 2012
So basically, you want to go behind the back of the booth and stare over his shoulder the whole time? Well, what was the point of going to the club then? Trainspotting?
the_black_one 6:40 AM - 26 February, 2012
I just want to see a performance not a composition of a fucking e-mail
blackavenger 8:41 AM - 26 February, 2012
Quote:

I take it you are primarily a Hip-Hop/Club Music fan then, correct? Because, if you listened to and were a fan of Techno, you would know that most of those "DJs" hardly even use turntables (CDJs/Techs) anymore.....they almost exclusively use Ableton, Traktor, or something similar with controllers. I have seen Richie Hawtin, Barem, Chris Liebing, etc.. GLUED to the screens of their laptops!! If you were to claim that they weren't "professional", I and hundreds of thousands of others, would have to LAUGH at you! Those artists RIP it with their faces buried in their screens.

I think this whole thread is moot! Just as there are many different sounds of music to dance to, so too are there many different ways to deliver those sounds. I don't want to see traditional "by ear" mixing go away anymore than most of the vets on this forum, but I am not going to knock on those who happen to use a waveform and/or sync either. What I care MOST about is what's coming out the speakers......not what the kat up in the booth looks like while doing His/Her thing.
the_black_one 8:53 AM - 26 February, 2012
I'm a club dj that has a hip hop night, a dance night and a night that i can play what evrer i want. I dont need my eyes glued to the fucking screen to do my job.
echa1945mf 9:48 AM - 26 February, 2012
hahahahaha is this thread is still going on,seriously its like seeing a bunch of kids argued ....hahahahaha
djcrap 11:01 AM - 26 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
#Truth

+1

I want every one to see my Rane and serato stickers on my laptop.....lol
blackavenger 2:14 PM - 26 February, 2012
[sigh]The modern Club DJ[/sigh]
DJ GOOK 5:42 PM - 26 February, 2012
LOL
Papa Midnight 6:54 PM - 26 February, 2012
Quote:

Then pay your way out to the DMC and stop going to the club if it's such a problem for you that it kills 3-5 hours of your night every Thurs/Fri/Sat.

Most people don't go to the club to stare at the DJ all damn night (unless it's a big name), they go to dance, (maybe) drink, and try to get lucky by the end of the night. Unless the DJ is trainwrecking, (s)he's the last thing on their mind.
DJ Michael Basic 7:01 PM - 26 February, 2012
I'm not 5'3" so when I put the laptop in the center, people see my logo on the back of the laptop, and my face above the laptop. I can see and interact with the crowd just fine, and when I'm playing at a venue that doesn't have a 57, the cue points are right there for me. I like the laptop in the center.

I guess if you're a tiny little person, you should put the laptop off to the side.
DJ Sniffles 7:02 PM - 26 February, 2012
This is what I don't understand as both a dj and party goer.... why are you or anyone else staring at the DJ at a night club??????

Now if it's a "show" type event of a dj who is going to tear the shit down...then yes I will watch and jump and be retarded. If I'm at the club, I either want to dance or get laid. Neither should require me to watch the dj, as long as he isn't clearing the floor. For those who go to a club and stare at the dj, realize you are creepy
DJ Sniffles 7:04 PM - 26 February, 2012
Unless you are a hot ass chick... then maybe you aren't so creepy
Papa Midnight 7:07 PM - 26 February, 2012
Quote:
This is what I don't understand as both a dj and party goer.... why are you or anyone else staring at the DJ at a night club??????

Now if it's a "show" type event of a dj who is going to tear the shit down...then yes I will watch and jump and be retarded. If I'm at the club, I either want to dance or get laid. Neither should require me to watch the dj, as long as he isn't clearing the floor. For those who go to a club and stare at the dj, realize you are creepy

Exactly what I said (see two post above yours). I've been tempted to call security before when I get someone who's that close to me and hasn't said anything.

Quote:
Unless you are a hot ass chick... then maybe you aren't so creepy

Not creepy, no. By that point, I'm usually expecting a stupid request (of a song that I probably don't have because it's probably off of some just released mix-tape put on youtube at a glorious 96kbps that they expect me to have downloaded and/or played off of youtube when it hasn't even hit the record pools yet) from them and the 5 or so friends they send up after them to ask the exact same question.
the_black_one 7:13 PM - 26 February, 2012
I just see how this people just call themselves djs. Can't beat match by ear so they stare at the screen to visually match the beats. The computer in the booth is a blessing but also a stigma of "LAPTOP DJ" comes along with it as well. I have to go digging for that video of total eclipse doing a lil set with SL but the computer is no where in sight! I loved that. He just uses the laptop to keep his music and not as a visual aid. Now in days screen watching allows people to call themselves "DJs". That i have a problem with.
DJ Sniffles 7:17 PM - 26 February, 2012
Years ago, this place was a haven for flame wars..... its useless. The progression of the laptop dj had the strength of an avalanche. It's here, its not going anywhere. I, along with many others, gave up the fight. It's pointless now.
the_black_one 7:20 PM - 26 February, 2012
Sniff.... i know u were here before SL got midi........ I could see having the computer right in front because the keyboard was the only way to trigger stuff in SL. Midi came to SL and changed everything for me. I loved the fact that i could navigate my music with a controller and not the computer.
sixxx 3:19 AM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
I'm not 5'3" so when I put the laptop in the center, people see my logo on the back of the laptop, and my face above the laptop. I can see and interact with the crowd just fine, and when I'm playing at a venue that doesn't have a 57, the cue points are right there for me. I like the laptop in the center.

I guess if you're a tiny little person, you should put the laptop off to the side.

Yup.
DJ GOOK 3:22 AM - 27 February, 2012
If you had gigs you wouldnt worry about other djs laptop position
sixxx 3:24 AM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:

and there you have it... nm
the_black_one 5:12 AM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:

only days off are mon and tue.
Papa Midnight 5:40 AM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

only days off are mon and tue.

So you spend your nights off going to happy hours to trainspot other DJs to see where they have the laptop positioned?
:|
the_black_one 5:45 AM - 27 February, 2012
not all the time
the_black_one 5:52 AM - 27 February, 2012
The point is..... djs call themselves dj when they are not
sixxx 3:00 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
The point is..... djs call themselves dj when they are not

true.... But laptop position is irrelevant to that point.
the_black_one 5:48 PM - 27 February, 2012
It is relevant sixx. If you remove the visuals from those fake djs than they can't mix. Can't mix, can't be a Dj . Fake djs feel like djs because the equipment they have, the songs they have downloaded. Take one of those fake djs and remove the computer from right infront of their face and see what happens.
CMOS 5:54 PM - 27 February, 2012
We get it, you are better than they are.
Xfade 5:56 PM - 27 February, 2012
So... are you really calling all of us that have the computer in front of us fake djs? just because we have the laptop at that position?
CMOS 5:58 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
So... are you really calling all of us that have the computer in front of us fake djs? just because we have the laptop at that position?

Yup you dont do it how he does, so you suck.
Papa Midnight 6:07 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Last time something like this happened, M.Bezzle turned into Michael Buffer and (ironically) DJ CON-STRUC won a free crane stand...
echa1945mf 6:17 PM - 27 February, 2012
hahahahahahahahahahaahhaa maan this is just tooo funny
echa1945mf 6:19 PM - 27 February, 2012
grown men fighting over laptop position is just too damn funny hahahahahahah
Papa Midnight 6:22 PM - 27 February, 2012
echa: You think this is funny, it's not half as bad as the "crane bloodbath" or the "Club DJs who use headphones" thread (reference 3 post up).
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:28 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last time something like this happened, M.Bezzle turned into Michael Buffer and (ironically) DJ CON-STRUC won a free crane stand...

ROTFL
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:31 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Take one of those fake djs and remove the computer from right infront of their face and see what happens.

Im assuming theyll turn their head slightly to the right (mabye left) and do the exact same thing they were doin with it in front.....is your master plan to give all "fake djs" neck cramps
the_black_one 7:32 PM - 27 February, 2012
No battle from me. Just pointing out how Wanna be djs use SL to call themselves djs.
the_black_one 7:36 PM - 27 February, 2012
No nack clamps.....

Listen, Monday nights i hang out with my buddies and tues nights it's saved for the girl. I go all over the city. I know some of the "Fake djs" and see a pattern.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:37 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
No battle from me. Just pointing out how Wanna be djs use SL to call themselves djs.

And moving the laptop a foot to the side remedies the issue?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:39 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
No nack clamps.....

i hear penasillin clears that up
the_black_one 7:39 PM - 27 February, 2012
There is a differance bezz. your not stupid and you know what im saying
the_black_one 7:41 PM - 27 February, 2012
Xfade 7:56 PM - 27 February, 2012
I still don't get how having the computer in front of you make you a fake dj :(
the_black_one 7:59 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
I still don't get how having the computer in front of you make you a fake dj :(

I was just speaking of my personal experience. The microwaves all place the computer right in front of therm in my city. They do this so they can mix because if they dont have it in fron of them they all the sudden cant mix.
the_black_one 8:00 PM - 27 February, 2012
DVS made it tooooo easy for someone to call themselves djs.
the_black_one 8:03 PM - 27 February, 2012
SO because they did not learned by ear, They get a laptop, download music, stare at the screen you can now call yourself a dj too. You guys ok with that???
dj_craigmac 8:10 PM - 27 February, 2012
The Black One, if u don't mind can u please post a bio or a quick rundown of your history and credentials. I want to understand where you are coming from with your OPINION.
str8nger 8:17 PM - 27 February, 2012

I found a solution to your issue, why not just put a big ass projector across the dance floor against a wall, so you can see the audience and see the screen at the same time?
DJWALDO 8:18 PM - 27 February, 2012
When I get my 62 I'm putting 2 laptops right in front of me. One laptop for each deck. But I'm putting the turntables behind me and the mixer on a table to my right. I like to get as close to a 360 degree range of motion when I dj. Burns more calories that way.
the_black_one 8:21 PM - 27 February, 2012
sure thing.

i been in the djing for 19 years now.
started in the mobile game, moved into clubs, and radio came after that.
jumped on SL around 2005 or so. The reason why i jumped was because i had the chance to finally take my WHOLE MUSIC library with me and i could continue to use my techs. I had no idea about any other features the software had. I was sold just on those 2 points. Doing the mobile thing early on really helped me learn how to read a crowd and learning many different genres of music. Now i'm just the music director of a cluster of bars and clubs that is #2 in the city as far as liquor sales. I'm in a top 10 market in the nation
the_black_one 8:24 PM - 27 February, 2012
oh forgot... I dj 5 nights a week.
DJWALDO 8:32 PM - 27 February, 2012
In some places liquor sales isn't what makes your business great... hell in some markets if your liquor sales outweigh the sales of food items by too much you stand to lose your license to sell said liquor. Lots of people also dj 5 nights a week. It's just wether or not they leave the house to do it.....
the_black_one 8:34 PM - 27 February, 2012
i hear ya waldo
str8nger 8:34 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:

Well Good for you! You should feel very proud of ourself all that hard work you deserved to be top 10 in the nation? And who are you I never heard of you......
the_black_one 8:38 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Well Good for you! You should feel very proud of ourself all that hard work you deserved to be top 10 in the nation? And who are you I never heard of you......

I never wanted to be on the limelight. Even when i was on the radio, i had to change my name because i did not want that kind of attention but really loved the money i was making. Never ever been about who i was. More about what i was doing and how it made me feel
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:40 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
More about what i was doing and how it made me feel

Which is exactly why it dosent matter where ur laptop is when your doin it
the_black_one 8:42 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
More about what i was doing and how it made me feel

Which is exactly why it dosent matter where ur laptop is when your doin it

Its really an art form for me!
CMOS 8:43 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
SO because they did not learned by ear, They get a laptop, download music, stare at the screen you can now call yourself a dj too. You guys ok with that???

I didnt learn by ear. I learned on serato. I can beatmatch by ear, but it takes me longer. Why shouldnt i stare at the screen to make my performance better?

Explain....
CMOS 8:44 PM - 27 February, 2012
This is really like saying:

"you dudes with all the power tools and nail guns aint shit, in my day we did it handsaws and nails"

The customer doesnt care as long as the cabinet looks nice.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:47 PM - 27 February, 2012
I wander if serato was avaliable when djing was created if anyone would have a problem using all avaliable info
the_black_one 8:48 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I didnt learn by ear. I learned on serato. I can beatmatch by ear, but it takes me longer. Why shouldnt i stare at the screen to make my performance better?

Explain....

Cmos, thanx for keeping it real. Some of us old cats (you know who you are in here) fought this a wile back like Sniffles pointed out. We just saw how easy it was for people to all the sudden be djs. It was hard for us to belive what was happening because of how hard we had to work to learn the skill set to be a DJ.

Learning by ear is best and i highly recommend it. That alone will make u a better dj. It all becomes second nature and you wont find yourself so computer gazing
the_black_one 8:49 PM - 27 February, 2012
when im djing im not thinking about how to dj but i thinking what to play to kill the floor!
Xfade 8:50 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
when im djing im not thinking about how to dj but i thinking what to play to kill the floor!

But when you are not djing you are staring at the djbooth and make sure they don't have a computer in front of them? xD
the_black_one 8:51 PM - 27 February, 2012
That last point is the biggest!!! thinking of what to play rather than thinking of the technicality of djing
the_black_one 8:53 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

But when you are not djing you are staring at the djbooth and make sure they don't have a computer in front of them? xD

I guess because i know them and know they have to stare to "DJ"
Xfade 8:55 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure you have a good point somewhere in there, but when you in your first post say that seeing a dj have the computer in front of you makes you want to leave the club you come of super douchy :P
the_black_one 8:57 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure you have a good point somewhere in there, but when you in your first post say that seeing a dj have the computer in front of you makes you want to leave the club you come of super douchy :P

sorry if i did come across that way but im glad you can see somewhat of a point !
CMOS 8:58 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Explain....

Cmos, thanx for keeping it real. Some of us old cats (you know who you are in here) fought this a wile back like Sniffles pointed out. We just saw how easy it was for people to all the sudden be djs. It was hard for us to belive what was happening because of how hard we had to work to learn the skill set to be a DJ.

Learning by ear is best and i highly recommend it. That alone will make u a better dj. It all becomes second nature and you wont find yourself so computer gazing

I dont think the laptop is your issue, and thats confusing a lot of people. Your issue is with respect to what you are doing.

Serious, if the guy is KILLING IT, but staring at the screen, i dont think you would beef.

Its just that most of the new guys you see dont take the time to practice, either using the screen, or not, to be able to stand up there and put together a night of good music/mixing.

This is about making sure you are ready to DJ, and not just saying you are one before you are ready because you have the equipment.

I took like 2 years before i did a gig of just practicing. These guys used to see me on Stickam sucking bigtime. BUt i stuck with it and im still getting better every time i spin. I have a few friends who are bigtime and have offered me some high profile gigs. Ive turned them down because i dont think im ready and dont want to fuck up my name (even tho no one knows it yet).
MelonHead 9:30 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:

Quote:

in case u didn't know who the real the_black_one is..

kochrecords.gluenow.com
Papa Midnight 9:34 PM - 27 February, 2012
^ BWAHAHAHAHA. Well played.
bicedidit 9:34 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:

why not?
why does this really matter?
isnt a dj's job to play music to keep the crowd happy?
so computer placement alone is enough to not be a good dj?
your a VAIN FA88OT. ive seen more dj's & producers turn into VANITY QUEENS in the past couple years and the music has taken an obvious dip.

but ur 19 yrs deep so you are allowed to tell ppl that they are doing it wrong (or not like you, which is wrong)

#delusionalDJ's are not real dj's
the_black_one 9:42 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

in case u didn't know who the real the_black_one is..

kochrecords.gluenow.com

LOL!!!! i look fat in pics!!!!
d:raf 11:32 PM - 27 February, 2012
I'm just posting here so I can add this thread to my collection in "tracked discussions" and I can bump it in 2016. :D
sixxx 11:47 PM - 27 February, 2012
Quote:
It is relevant sixx. If you remove the visuals from those fake djs than they can't mix. Can't mix, can't be a Dj . Fake djs feel like djs because the equipment they have, the songs they have downloaded. Take one of those fake djs and remove the computer from right infront of their face and see what happens.

Negative. Those are two different arguments.

DJ's who suck will suck regardless of where they place their computer. Simple as that.
popnwave 1:34 AM - 28 February, 2012
The booth I am in doesn't give me anywhere else to put it.. but at 6'8 i can been seen pretty well over the damn thing.
Proto J 9:34 AM - 29 February, 2012
i try not to have it right in front of me... i feel like it makes you less in touch with your crowd, or at least it seems and looks that way.

i also try not to look at it too much. i have been DJing since 1996, so i am all ear, i don't watch wav's or anything, but i do pay attention to the measures some times by looking at it, tho you really should try to look at the crowd more, regardless of what your reason is.
DJ Benny B NYC 3:25 PM - 29 February, 2012
i kind of like DJs who are good because of the music they play, not where they are looking...

who cares where they are looking...

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ eXeS 3:59 PM - 29 February, 2012
its in front of me too. yet i feel i lokk at it alot. not the waves just the program in general. it's like an addiction and i cant get of it.
i think the reason i look at it is because I am trying to come up with the next songs i will play (freestyling it), i do have a set in mind but still wanna put a variety in my sets by switiching it up alot and even comig up with a new mix/combination i have never done before.
DJ eXeS 3:59 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
The booth I am in doesn't give me anywhere else to put it.. but at 6'8 i can been seen pretty well over the damn thing.

i'm 6',5 i hear ya...hope your back is still playing along!!
DJ Remy USA 4:54 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
echa: You think this is funny, it's not half as bad as the "crane bloodbath" or the "Club DJs who use headphones" thread (reference 3 post up).

those threads were awesome I love the serato forum
DJJorel 5:03 PM - 29 February, 2012
But what if you have really short Tyrannosaurus Rex arms?
DJ1800 6:54 PM - 29 February, 2012
So does it bother you when someone looks at the keys when they type?
DJ Benny B NYC 6:55 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
So does it bother you when someone looks at the keys when they type?

yeah ya damn idiots holler at mavis beacon or something
DJ Y-Not 8:36 PM - 29 February, 2012
Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot....are you serious!!! I don't care where a dj has his computer as long as he/she has skills. Some people have the computer in front of them just because.
DJ Y-Not 8:36 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:

Haha!!!
the_black_one 8:54 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Those are the work of mastermind!
the_black_one 8:55 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Haha!!!

well, there you have it! the exception to the rule HAHAHAHAHA
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:56 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

acutually I had a stronger hand in the bloodbath than mastermind
the_black_one 8:58 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

acutually I had a stronger hand in the bloodbath than mastermind

Mr buffer and mastermind working together!!!
CMOS 8:58 PM - 29 February, 2012
His office title is "Shit Stirrer Extraordinaire"
the_black_one 9:00 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
His office title is "Shit Stirrer Extraordinaire"

buffer,mastermind,or both?
CMOS 9:02 PM - 29 February, 2012
Bufferzzle
the_black_one 9:03 PM - 29 February, 2012
Quote:
Bufferzzle

masterzzle
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:21 AM - 1 March, 2012
Quote:
i kind of like DJs who are good because of the music they play, not where they are looking...

Watchwww.youtube.com

I noticed he no one said anything about your post because their personal DJ Jesus has it in front of him. LOL
philldafunk 2:56 AM - 1 March, 2012
My residency has the laptop stand right in front of my face, and the vga cord isn't long enough for me to place the laptop anywhere else.

I hate it
Papa Midnight 2:57 AM - 1 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
I noticed he no one said anything about your post because their personal DJ Jesus has it in front of him. LOL

It's always evil till some big name DJ does it that everyone knows has skills.
then it's ok.
But anyone else who does it is EVIL.
DjPolarCa 3:02 AM - 1 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha!!!

something like this?

Watchwww.youtube.com
Papa Midnight 3:35 AM - 1 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha!!!

something like this?

Watchwww.youtube.com

Hehehehe. I thought that movie was great.

Well... funny thing is, T-Rex could never lose "The Contest".
DJ Reflex 12:54 AM - 9 March, 2012
"The worst is if the booth is elevated. Nothing like looking up at the DJ and only seeing an apple logo. "

Don't have to worry about this... I have a Dell :)
maddogsguy 3:17 AM - 9 March, 2012
I am curious, If I dj'd five days a week, and had the laptop in front of me, what would that make me?

My road case has a laptop stand built into it, I look over my computer to the crowd, I mix with my ears, not my waveforms. I don't stare at the laptop, I stare at the women shaking their asses on the dancefloor.

So, do I qualify as a real DJ?
blackavenger 11:35 AM - 9 March, 2012
Quote:
So, do I qualify as a real DJ?

Who cares if you stare at the waveforms.......

Do you have a great selection of music......

Can you phrase your tunes well.........

Do you know what to drop, when.....

?!?!?!?!???!???!?!?!?

These are the things that make a DJ......not whether you can, or cannot match beats by ear. That's the old paradigm......the moment DVS came on the scene, that shit was no longer prevalent. This whole, newskool vs. oldskool shizz is sooo laughable........just something for dinosaurs to get all excited about, and swing their interweb dicks over.

On occasion, I "like" to make transitions via waveforms....especially when I am mixing 2 tracks I just bought. Does that mean the over 3,000 records I still own, and occasionally play, are wasted on an amateur?

By now, black_one, you have to realize how wrong you were....at least I hope so.
Discobee 12:18 PM - 9 March, 2012
I luv how just about everyone is so afraid to say "Yes I look at the waveforms" when they mix. like it's taboo or something. "No! Not me man, I'm looking at the songs....the time remaining...the BPM%....waveforms? Naw no ways, are you crazy...I don't look there!" Haha

The use of the word "paradigm" is pretty cool too.
slimmjimm 12:38 PM - 9 March, 2012
Quote:
I luv how just about everyone is so afraid to say "Yes I look at the waveforms" when they mix. like it's taboo or something. "No! Not me man, I'm looking at the songs....the time remaining...the BPM%....waveforms? Naw no ways, are you crazy...I don't look there!" Haha

The use of the word "paradigm" is pretty cool too.

I put the laptop in front (some gigs) and I glance at the waveforms once in a while. I think I might be a shitty DJ.
blackavenger 12:47 PM - 9 March, 2012
Quote:
I glance at the waveforms once in a while. I think I might be a shitty DJ.

LOL!!!
slimmjimm 4:12 PM - 10 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
I glance at the waveforms once in a while. I think I might be a shitty DJ.

LOL!!!

I will also fully admit to STARING at the waveforms when both of my eardrums busted last year.
the_black_one 6:36 PM - 10 March, 2012
Just try and move it away from your face so it does not look like your typing an email or watching porn! The screen is ther as information not necessity. Track selection only IMHO
DJ Reflex 3:09 AM - 14 March, 2012
I use waveforms to mix old classic rock tracks into house tunes. Live bands are never a metronome like dance tracks are - you have to see the upcoming beats once in a while to make sure that the BPMs line up. Waveforms come in handy for that.
blackavenger 3:51 PM - 15 March, 2012
It's amazing how many shitty DJs are out there......

as per another thread.....

www.notape.net
DJ DisGrace 3:57 PM - 15 March, 2012
If this man can watch the waveforms...
Watchwww.youtube.com

But you should still learn the tape/clock way first!
Billy18bm 4:01 PM - 15 March, 2012
Quote:

www.notape.net

why is he a shitty dj?
elsupermang 4:39 PM - 15 March, 2012
@the_black_one: Don't start a conversation telling ppl how they should do things according to your own taste. This ain't communist Russia. How bout you put your laptop up your crack instead, that's my recommendation, crowd will have a better view. I for one will appreciate not having a stiff neck after turning 45 degrees all night when I'm looking for the next song. Case in point: just do you, let ppl judge things that matter :p
blackavenger 4:46 PM - 15 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

www.notape.net

why is he a shitty dj?

It's called sarcasm....
djlukie 5:51 PM - 15 March, 2012
Quote:
how about we give a big FU to serato and start carrying crates again?

LOL!
the_black_one 7:30 PM - 15 March, 2012
Quote:
@the_black_one: Don't start a conversation telling ppl how they should do things according to your own taste. This ain't communist Russia. How bout you put your laptop up your crack instead, that's my recommendation, crowd will have a better view. I for one will appreciate not having a stiff neck after turning 45 degrees all night when I'm looking for the next song. Case in point: just do you, let ppl judge things that matter :p

I'm free to post my opinions on here are you are NOBODY to tell me to stop!
the_black_one 7:30 PM - 15 March, 2012
are = and
dj_soo 7:49 PM - 15 March, 2012
Quote:
@the_black_one: Don't start a conversation telling ppl how they should do things according to your own taste. This ain't communist Russia.

Yea this is America - where rich, middle aged , white men tell women what they can or cannot do with their bodies.
the_black_one 7:51 PM - 15 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
@the_black_one: Don't start a conversation telling ppl how they should do things according to your own taste. This ain't communist Russia.

Yea this is America - where rich, middle aged , white men tell women what they can or cannot do with their bodies.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Papa Midnight 10:41 PM - 15 March, 2012
*Sigh*... Here we go...
Joshua Carl 11:07 PM - 15 March, 2012
Its not always so Black and white... cut and dry.

but I can speak from my personal experience.
when I first hopped to serato I was so blasted by the whole GUI and the limitations of my mobile booth I had no choice to have my shit right infront of me:
(this is around 2007... i missed the whole initial swap thanks to an iraq Vacation)
sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net
(and for a laugh.... heres me at that 80s party: sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net

what I learned quickly was that I was often lulled into just gazing at the screen.
no reason, not looking for anything... Just standing there because it was 18 inches from my nose..... I found myself disconnected.

so I think, IMO, in this case a statement that could more accurately describe this issue
would be.
"Its probably not the best Idea from a performance and crowd interaction standpoint to spin gigs with your face buried in the computer"

alot of people dont know it, but our faces when we are twistin those knobs.... lol, JK
but people like an identity.
when I explain to places that Im playing at that I want my computer to the side they always
ask why...
I immediatly pull out a laptop and put it front of my face and carry on the conversation.
usually with a snide remark like..." i can carry on a conversation just fine behind here"
thats usually quick, and non-threatening enough for them to understand.

while some people rightfully argue "whats it matter what im doing back there, people dont care as long as the music is good" and while on many levels thats a very accurate statement...and I really dont see too too many guys with the laptop literally infront of their faces... I have seen it. and to be honest I think it looks rather foolish.
but I look back at the guys who impressed me physically in the booth.
Carl Cox, Donald Glaude, Derrick Carter, Fatboy Slim...
sometimes their music, mixing,ect ect ect wasnt completely flawless but they had a
presence in the booth that more than made up for it....

sure thats not for everyone. you can expect everyone to be as intense as carl cox.
nor should we.

but on the other side of the coin, we shouldnt abandon one of the avenues to attain a genuine connection (in thus creating that vibe we all long for) with our audiences by being a faceless machine....even if u do look like clint howard.

Watchwww.youtube.com <-classic
the_black_one 12:03 AM - 16 March, 2012
Carl.... you said it best!!! i come a cross as an asshole but i dont care (NM). Gland that someone can put it in terms that some folks in here could understand
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:24 PM - 16 March, 2012
Lol whats funny is I use it for the opposite, I spin a small venue so I use my laptop to hide from the crowd in case I drop a bad track or im not looking like a creep smiling at the same 5 peop"whwn therees only 6 there lol
DJJorel 4:29 PM - 16 March, 2012
So what if a DJ has his or her laptop on the side but wears sunglasses while DJing?

Does that mean that they are a good DJ but still a douchebag?
BERTO 4:32 PM - 16 March, 2012
also they must have technics and macbook pro not regular macbook and it has to be 2012 model not no 09 piece of shit, and you have to be on your cell phone half the time ( iphone 4s) of course, also if the CVs dont match your G-Shock watch you are a fake ass DJ
BERTO 4:33 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:
So what if a DJ has his or her laptop on the side but wears sunglasses while DJing?

Does that mean that they are a good DJ but still a douchebag?

only if they are LV sunglasses
BERTO 4:34 PM - 16 March, 2012
I guess its DJ human nature to judge other DJs and not just chill at the venue
Discobee 4:48 PM - 16 March, 2012
What if it's offset just to the left of right of me, so at least you can see my pearly whites, would that make it better?
DJJorel 5:12 PM - 16 March, 2012
I'm really fat...so I can't hide behind my laptop anyways...no matter where I put it...

Do they make 55-inch laptops?
Logisticalstyles 5:41 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:
I for one will appreciate not having a stiff neck after turning 45 degrees all night when I'm looking for the next song.

That's the main reason I've gone back to having the laptop in front of me. Plus I also try to do more than just mix tunes. I like to use the other features of Scratch Live and you need to see the scrren to know what's going on. Searching for songs, setting loops and cue points requires looking at the screen. It just makes sense to have it in front of you.
djaction 5:44 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:
setting loops and cue points requires looking at the screen.

100% incorrect.
Logisticalstyles 5:45 PM - 16 March, 2012
oooohh you got me there.
DJJorel 5:46 PM - 16 March, 2012
I, for one, don't really care where the laptop is at...

There is one thing that does bother me in the clubs when the laptop is in front of you. When other DJs do the "pizza box" laptop switching thing and they seem to get in your way when they try to switch their laptop in...it's hella annoying...

Other than that, it just doesn't matter to me...
Logisticalstyles 5:47 PM - 16 March, 2012
Except, I don't always set the same length loops so, I guess I would have to look at the screent to see that.

Try again.
djaction 5:48 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:
Except, I don't always set the same length loops so, I guess I would have to look at the screent to see that.

Try again.

pretty sure as long as you have a controller / 57 etc that's a nope

and how is having the laptop behind you or to the side any different from looking through your actual of crates of vinyl for picking out a song.
djaction 5:49 PM - 16 March, 2012
or did you guys mount your crates on top of your mixer right in front of you?
Logisticalstyles 5:52 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Try again.

pretty sure as long as you have a controller / 57 etc that's a nope

and how is having the laptop behind you or to the side any different from looking through your actual of crates of vinyl for picking out a song.

1. I dont have a 57 and when I use my Denon controller you still have to look to see where you are setting the loop length. That requires looking at the screen.

2. All of my songs are not in crates and my sets are not pre planned. Sometimes I think of a song on the fly and have to type it in the search box. That requires looking at the screen.

3. Easy access.
djaction 5:54 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:

2. All of my songs are not in crates and my sets are not pre planned. Sometimes I think of a song on the fly and have to type it in the search box. That requires looking at the screen.

3. Easy access.

like i said before how is it any more difficult than turning around/or to the side and flipping through your actual crates of vinyl?

and with a controller can't you program it to set a cue IN with one button and a cue OUT with a separate button.. then you just listen in your headphones and dont need the visual no?
Joshua Carl 6:29 PM - 16 March, 2012
HUGE difference between looking at the screen, and spinning with your face glued to it.
Logisticalstyles 6:47 PM - 16 March, 2012
Exactly. Just because it's in front of me doesn't mean I'm glued to it.

Quote:
and with a controller can't you program it to set a cue IN with one button and a cue OUT with a separate button.. then you just listen in your headphones and dont need the visual no?

You must not be familliar with the Denon controller. It has knobs for each deck that you can use when you want to set the auto loop. You can scroll to the loop length you want to create and then hit one button to automatically set the loop. Yes, you can manualy set the loop as you described, but it's easier and quicker to do it the other way. The same thing applies to loop rolls.
djaction 7:04 PM - 16 March, 2012
im not :D

i just use dicers and put the laptop off to the side out of the way and call it a day
Dj Shamann 8:38 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:
Don't start a conversation telling ppl how they should do things according to your own taste. This ain't communist Russia.

In communist Russia, laptop watches YOU!
the_black_one 8:42 PM - 16 March, 2012
LOL
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:47 PM - 16 March, 2012
Heres a question,if the,laptops off to the side where will beligerant asshole customers hover ther drink over, they seem to enjoy the laptop area
the_black_one 8:55 PM - 16 March, 2012
I have not played in an open area where drunks have access to the lappy in a very long time. I'm in dj booths or open areas where there is some sort of barrier between the crowd and my self
Joshua Carl 9:48 PM - 16 March, 2012
Quote:

In communist Russia, laptop watches YOU!

I seriously laughed for like 2 minutes over that
what is that from.... brain fart.
Dj Shamann 10:10 PM - 16 March, 2012
d:raf 10:15 PM - 4 May, 2012
Problem solved... err... eventually.

www.foxnews.com

Quote:
Super soldier vision incoming?

By Allison Barrie

War Games

Published May 03, 2012

Super soldier Captain America may have had excellent vision back in the 40s, but modern soldiers may have the opportunity to outstrip the Avenger’s sight with Predator-style vision.

Innovega’s iOptik contact lenses sharpen real world vision while simultaneously simulating a 3D HD panoramic screen. The company hopes to gain FDA approval this year -- and the Department of Defense has recently placed an order for a prototype.

HUDs (head-up displays) that present a virtual computer screen to the viewer have become increasingly advanced and complex. But military models, notably bulky helmets for fighter pilots that overlay data on targets, tend to be cumbersome.

A computer interface that’s entirely hands-free could give troops a clear advantage.

For example, soldiers, marines, airmen or seamen who need their hands free for weapons use could study a detailed map without toying with a handheld or dropping their gaze. The iOptik system could also potentially provide real-time feeds from satellites, drones or even a teammate’s helmet camera, displayed as if on a transluscent computer screen to a fighter on the move.

Innovega’s iOptik contact lenses are intended to be fielded together with a far more compact HUD unit; picture Oakley sunglasses modified to allow the images to be projected onto them.

There are two primary options for this type of display: VR (virtual reality) systems that swap a soldier’s real world view for a computer generated one, and AR (augmented reality) systems that superimpose computer generated images over reality.

Research undertaken by the company has been funded by DARPA and the National Science Foundation and their AR lenses work by using two different filters in each lens -- in effect the soldier can see through the data to the real world.

The system creates a dual-focus effect for the eye by sending light to different parts of the pupil; the retina sees both images in focus simultaneously. A data feed (or satellite feed, or map info or whatever) is sent from the center of each lens to the center of the pupil while light from the real world is directed by the outer part of the lens to the rim of the pupil.

The human eye has a restricted capacity to focus on very near objects, leading to solutions that make data appear as if on a computer screen several feet away; Innovega’s iOptik creates the effect of viewing a 20-foot television at a distance of 10 feet.

The sense of 3D in the virtual display is created by projecting slightly varied pictures to each eye.

Innovega’s research indicates that half of users would benefit from a prescription lens, so the company built that feature into the iOptik lenses as well. So they’ll sharpen your real world vision as well as give you Predator-style sight.

The gaming world has also been busy advancing HUDs, but current approaches tend to rely on video eyewear that incorporate small flat panel displays that must be aligned with the optical components to focus the image and achieve the distant screen effect -- meaning bulky, uncool eyewear that obstructs the gamer’s view of the real world.

The company’s approach eliminates the optics entirely from the eyewear frame and utilizes transparent optics, so the wearer retains his peripheral vision.

In less than two years, the company expects to commence low volume production for the defense community … and hopes it will have a model for civilians with vision problems as well.

Innovega’s patents also include lenses that could be implanted in the eye. The company hopes to give cataract patients who need to have their lens replaced the option of choosing new lens that give them access to the Internet.

3D gaming, immersive video, augmented reality apps and mobile device interfaces are a few of the wider applications; the company hopes to license the technology so that gamers can expect the lenses may be available to the wider public as soon as 2014.

Innovega believes its high-tech contacts could become the preferred platform for social media and augmented reality apps providing an improved immersive experience for gamers such as with Google’s Project Glass. After all, 100 million Americans already use standard contact lenses, and 20 million of these folks are in the target 18- to 34-year old gaming and social media demographic.

The technology does raise questions, of course. Will soldiers take to it or will data overload impair their performance? And are such contact lenses safe to take into battle?

Fighters require their full vision for situational awareness. And Innovega’s technology certainly holds promise -- enough that the Department of Defense was willing to take the gamble.

Would warriors do the same?

Read more: www.foxnews.com
blackavenger 6:02 AM - 5 May, 2012
^ Fascinating ^
d:raf 4:19 PM - 6 May, 2012
Lemme go ahead and jump a few years into the future:

"REAL DJs watch the waveform on a REAL computer screen and have to put effort into dividing their attention between the crowd and their tools; I bet you couldn't DJ at all without a monitor on your eyeball."
DJ Reflex 2:51 AM - 7 May, 2012
A few more years...

Scratch Live will be built into contact lenses for a true "Heads-Up Display" No more laptops, just a chip implanted into your brain with a wireless connection to your speakers.
DJ Reflex 2:53 AM - 7 May, 2012
Wait... no speakers! Just a wireless connection sent to everyone else's chips! A rockin party without a single sound wave - just brain waves.
Papa Midnight 2:58 AM - 7 May, 2012
Quote:
Wait... no speakers! Just a wireless connection sent to everyone else's chips! A rockin party without a single sound wave - just brain waves.

No more noise complaints :P
CMOS 8:25 PM - 7 May, 2012
Even further

Dude play that 01011100101 track again, that was dope.
Robert W 3:51 AM - 8 May, 2012
I have mine off to the side as well since im too cheap to go buy a laptop stand.
d:raf 4:53 PM - 21 May, 2012
More future-hate: "Real DJs actually have to touch something"... lol

Watchwww.youtube.com
blackavenger 5:16 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Damn, that's cool!
Papa Midnight 5:52 PM - 21 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Damn, that's cool!

Stark Industries Approved
the_black_one 5:24 PM - 4 March, 2014
Now that Jeff DOES NOT put the computer in front of him…………

Watchwww.youtube.com

Now he moves the computer away from his face…. The only reason it was there was to control loops and cue points. Now that he has a midi controller he no longer needs the computer in front of his face!!!!!!

nm nh
dj jamalot 5:55 PM - 4 March, 2014
How's This...
instagram.com
 6 6:01 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
How's This...
instagram.com

I think that's a good set up.

nm
dj jamalot 6:03 PM - 4 March, 2014
It's my club rig it stays there...
 6 6:12 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
It's my club rig it stays there...

Well, shit. It better. I can't imagine moving that monitor everywhere I went. lol

nm
the_black_one 8:08 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
How's This...
instagram.com

thumbs up

nm nh
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:10 PM - 4 March, 2014
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:19 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
serato.com

/End Thread.
d:raf 11:13 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
serato.com

Good luck with that. lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:16 PM - 4 March, 2014
And with that said....

This thread has been inducted into the Official Backfired Threads Hall Of Shame.

serato.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:27 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
Now that Jeff DOES NOT put the computer in front of him…………

Watchwww.youtube.com

Now he moves the computer away from his face…. The only reason it was there was to control loops and cue points. Now that he has a midi controller he no longer needs the computer in front of his face!!!!!!

nm nh

It sure is amazing how much time Jazzy Jeff spends looking to the right at the computer and NOT in front of him towards the crowd.

I wonder if you even watched the video and paid attention to what he was doing.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:33 PM - 4 March, 2014
So wait...This muhfuggah with NO IDENTITY has the NERVE to question where the BEST DJ ON EARTH puts his LAPTOP?

Questioning whether or not Jazzy Jeff's performance is in ANY WAY hindered by the physical placement of his LAPTOP?

Who the HELL is "The_Black_One" and what QUALIFIES HIM to make such bold statements?

serato.com
 6 11:33 PM - 4 March, 2014
" It sure is amazing how much time Jazzy Jeff spends looking to the right at the computer and NOT in front of him towards the crowd."

I personally don't care if Jazzy Jeff is looking at the crowd or not. With all the shit that he does, he is really concentrating on what he's doing. He knows the crowd is diggin' it anyway.

nm
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:39 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
" It sure is amazing how much time Jazzy Jeff spends looking to the right at the computer and NOT in front of him towards the crowd."

I personally don't care if Jazzy Jeff is looking at the crowd or not. With all the shit that he does, he is really concentrating on what he's doing. He knows the crowd is diggin' it anyway.

nm

It should't matter where anybody has their laptop or if they are looking at the crowd.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:39 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
So wait...This muhfuggah with NO IDENTITY has the NERVE to question where the BEST DJ ON EARTH puts his LAPTOP?

Questioning whether or not Jazzy Jeff's performance is in ANY WAY hindered by the physical placement of his LAPTOP?

Who the HELL is "The_Black_One" and what QUALIFIES HIM to make such bold statements?

serato.com

LOL
 6 11:41 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm

It should't matter where anybody has their laptop or if they are looking at the crowd.

Well, it does matter if a DJ is looking at the crowd or not (for reading purposes only)

nm
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:46 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:

Well, it does matter if a DJ is looking at the crowd or not (for reading purposes only)

nm

Laptop in front or side will not hinder the few seconds at a time the DJ to glance to see what's going on.

We don't have to continue to go back and forth. I don't want this wonderfully shitty thread to derail.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:48 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:

We don't have to continue to go back and forth. I don't want this wonderfully shitty thread to derail.

LMAOOOOOO...
 6 12:07 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Laptop in front or side will not hinder the few seconds at a time the DJ to glance to see what's going on.

Oh, I wasn't caring so much about laptop placement about the fact that you said reading the crowd didn't matter.

nm
the_black_one 12:44 AM - 5 March, 2014
Lol

Nm nh
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:54 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Kinda depends on the particulars of the show. If your an out the way in the booth dj ya it wont matter but if your front and center on stage puttin on a performance theatre rules apply.

nm
CMOS 5:25 PM - 5 March, 2014
Yall make it seem like reading the crowd consists of staring directly into peoples faces for extended periods of time.
 6 5:25 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Yall make it seem like reading the crowd consists of staring directly into peoples faces for extended periods of time.

This

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:27 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:

Well, The_Black_One's eyesight is so bad that he NEEDS to move the laptop to the side, so he can see both of his patrons.
the_black_one 5:30 PM - 5 March, 2014
Salty and mad

:)

Nm nh
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:33 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Salty and mad

Nm nh

"MY GOSH"....

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo.....
the_black_one 5:36 PM - 5 March, 2014
Salty and ashy

Nm nh
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:37 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Salty and ashy

Nm nh

Ahhhh.....right on cue!

serato.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:37 PM - 5 March, 2014
So easy.
Joshua Carl 5:39 PM - 5 March, 2014
I know it's not that status qou.
But me personally I'm not entertained watching a dj stand there locked in on their screen for an entire night
(Whether the computer is in front of them or to the side)

Of course I'm a dj, so I goto a spot and watch them
(I've tried not to, it's like trying not to watch a car accident)

Like anything.
It's all relevant to the room, what kinda of dj you want to be, or want to be perceived as
If your tucked in a corner anyways, and 9/10 peoe can't see you
There's probably not a lot of loss putting that shit right in front of you.
But if your on a stage, or you are a featured entertainment (ie, not just the "oh, there's a dj here") then I think you are expected to be a bit more visable
Not saying your expected to be mugging it up for pictures and such
Bit you are center stage!
You are the show!

I've seen plenty of guys rock the computer right In front of them just fine
They are aware that they are a bit more disconnected and make it a point not to fall into a trance.
But they are certainly in the minority

So, as it usually falls to there is never 1 right answer

But if I were to advise someone I would say do it with the screen to side as much as possible
the_black_one 5:41 PM - 5 March, 2014
On point Carl!!!

Nm nh
CMOS 6:11 PM - 5 March, 2014
How high are your laptop stands?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:43 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
On point Carl!!!

Nm nh

He said exactly what i said lol
Joshua Carl 7:44 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
On point Carl!!!

Nm nh

He said exactly what i said lol

Haha! Glory stolen! ;/)

I have a crane, so mine usually is 4-6 inches above the mixer height.
Like so: instagram.com

I prefer it level with the dex, but that's no always an option.
Nor is Z formation... So, sometimes it's higher.. Like here:
instagram.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:32 AM - 6 March, 2014
MY GOSH