DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How Do We Keep Up With Evolving DJ World

DJ Xplosive (617) 8:34 PM - 22 February, 2012
Hello Fellow DJ's,

I'm from boston and out here a new dj pops up daily. this doesn't frustrate me much BUT the fact that they travel with Virtual DJ and ITCH into the club shows me they don't undestand the basics that most of had to endure to get to where we currently are in this stage of our career. i have been doing this for 10years i started on cd's moved to laptop and vynil and now i currently use CDJ's and a Mac. those stages of pregression had to be mastered before you can move to the next level and now i am being undercut by push button dj's who are doing it for drink tickets man SMH i cannot believe someone will bring a set up in the club spend 6 hours entertaining and come out with not a penny but pissy drunk where are we going as a business?
DJ Xplosive (617) 8:36 PM - 22 February, 2012
Also for the record i don't mean to offend any push button dj's
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:06 PM - 22 February, 2012
Quote:
Also for the record i don't mean to offend any push button dj's

Why not?
DJ Xplosive (617) 9:33 PM - 22 February, 2012
DJ's that punch records have some type of art to their style its not conventional but its still unique
DJBRIANM 9:37 PM - 22 February, 2012
I am techs guy until I die but I have played with CDJ's extensively in my weekly residency. Not hating either way...

Just a few weeks ago I purchased a controller to see what the fuss is about...Even with Sync engaged if you don't know how to program or when to drop songs or how to read a crowd....all that important sh^t that makes half-a$$ deejay....well my friends-fail.

I think any dj worth his salt will try to do the things that make a dancefloor react. So while i EMBRACE new technology I respect the DJ that can do his/her job well regardless of the controller/dvs.

Study the timeline of Djs & DJ gear------not alot happened until May 2004.
Logisticalstyles 9:42 PM - 22 February, 2012
As I get older I start to care less about what other DJs are doing until it directly affects me. The technology is changing so quickly, only a fan-boy would limit thierself by using only one brand or kind of gear. You have to know how to use all kinds of gear if you want to be a professional. I refuse to let the gear limit me and my ability to rock a crowd.
I use what works for me. The only other thing that sways my opinion on gear other than price, is customer service which I guess is why I'm here on the Serato forums.
When I went to buy Srcatch Live from GC the salesperson tried his hardest to get me to buy Traktor. If I did I would have made it work for me some how, some way. Thankfully I didn't have to do that.
DJ Xplosive (617) 9:44 PM - 22 February, 2012
I agree with that totally but at the same time the craft is losing its potency because anyone can be a dj its very rare i meet a dj that can actually blend records and thats something i learned first the sync button helps with that i have used itch and yes its not 100% program controlled but it sure isn't real
DJ Xplosive (617) 9:46 PM - 22 February, 2012
@Styles the only reason i am posting is because i am directly affected of course i can get gigs but the weekly's i used to do and i still do some i would make 500-700 a night and i get undercut for near no $ at all because everyone with a laptop and a controller can make music sound decent enough to keep a crowd half way entertained
dj_soo 12:07 AM - 23 February, 2012
the only way to make good money these days is to produce music.

Either that or you can try to get on a reality show or date a celebutard...

The days of being recognized AND compensated for pure DJ skills is looooong gone.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:24 AM - 23 February, 2012
What do you think the DJ's said when you came in the game in 2002 on CD's after they been rocking vinyl on 1200's. Then what do you think the older DJ's said to them after they have been rocking vinyl on turntables with no pitch control and reel to reels.

It's called evolution! I swear this must be whiners week.

Admins can we please get a smart crate feature for the forums to put all of these posts together. Then they can cry on each others shoulders.
DJ Xplosive (617) 12:35 AM - 23 February, 2012
When evolution takes away from the craft it stops becoming positive progression and I'm not whining at all I'm a grown man and the fact that your so upset shows me you have no heart in the game I remember trying to mix tapes on the radio sticking tissue in the tops so don't speak to me about evolution yes equipment can evolve but at the cost of the craft no its not something I wanna see
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:52 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
When evolution takes away from the craft it stops becoming positive progression and I'm not whining at all I'm a grown man and the fact that your so upset shows me you have no heart in the game I remember trying to mix tapes on the radio sticking tissue in the tops so don't speak to me about evolution yes equipment can evolve but at the cost of the craft no its not something I wanna see

The craft is constantly progressing positively, that's why there is constant evolution of the products. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the evolution of said equipment you would not be DJing.

You came into the game on CD's (a button pusher) then to a laptop (button pusher) What makes you any different in the eyes of the DJ's that were on the scene when you started? You are the same button pusher that you are crying about.

I am far from mad or upset. I'm just trying to let you see a bigger picture here. Just so you know...I'm one of the dudes that was doing this on turntables without a pitch. So my heart been in this before your were probably born.
DJ Xplosive (617) 1:18 AM - 23 February, 2012
Did I cry or did I ask for opinions? As a man you should watch how you speak. That's on another note but pressing play which is on turntables and CD players alike doesn't make it button pushing and a laptop makes it easier to store music for me I'm not into using shortcuts while mixing so that makes no sense to call it button pushing look up the term and how its used
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:32 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Did I cry or did I ask for opinions? As a man you should watch how you speak. That's on another note but pressing play which is on turntables and CD players alike doesn't make it button pushing and a laptop makes it easier to store music for me I'm not into using shortcuts while mixing so that makes no sense to call it button pushing look up the term and how its used

Yes you are here crying about new DJ's traveling with Virtual DJ & Itch undercutting you for drink tickets.

In case you didn't notice...this is a message board. Full of people just like you who come here to POST their opinions.

I know exactly what the term button pushing means. And you starting off on CDs then progressing to a laptop makes you a button pusher. You need to push the play button on the CDJ to start the music, you need to push the stop button, you need to push the eject button, you need to push the loop button. (do you want me to continue?) Bottom line you came in as a button pusher and you now have amnesia of where you come from. Don't get all up in your feelings cuz I called you on it.

I'm speaking to you like a grown articulate man, with reason, common sense, and some insight. Maybe that's just the issue in itself?
dj poisonous handz 3:26 AM - 23 February, 2012
phatbob 3:44 AM - 23 February, 2012
It is a bit rich to be dissing young guys coming up and using new technology, when 10 years ago, that was you, walking into the club with your CD wallet...

People would have been wrong to dismiss you out of hand then, and you're wrong to be doing that now.
El_MaUri 4:14 AM - 23 February, 2012
Technology has just made us lazy. And that applies to everything. We are dependent on machine.

But only because technology is "evolving" it does not necessarily mean it's progressing. And in this case, technology is slowly making the "artform" obsolete to the younger generations. Meaning, they don't need to learn how to beatmatch or know how a piece of vinyl looks/feels/sounds. Technology can do this for them, so why bother practicing hours and hours learning how to beatmatch. BUT there will always be the true DJ enthusiasts to keep it alive (make sure to attend Sunday DJ church)! And that's the only thing we can hope for. BUT with that said, technology can also bring positive change to the "artform" (records>cds>dvs). It CAN progress and evolve into something better. We all just got to keep our minds open.

But nowadays it's just about the money anyways! It's all about exploiting the newest trend and making some dough! And like all trends, some phase out...some don't.

AND then again... who doesn't like new toysss manng!
DJBEATSONLINE 4:14 AM - 23 February, 2012
Who cares what another dj uses? As long as he can rock a crowd it should not matter. Maybe we should all get a controller and leave our turntables at home since people are always complaining about stuf being too heavy etc... Why not be a mobile dj and do weddings? Thats where the money is at anyways. The only thing that sucks here is that he's taking your money, But why bash other dj's? Midi controller dj's will get there chance to talk shit when something new evolves.
DJ Xplosive (617) 6:26 AM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you are here crying about new DJ's traveling with Virtual DJ & Itch undercutting you for drink tickets.

In case you didn't notice...this is a message board. Full of people just like you who come here to POST their opinions.

I know exactly what the term button pushing means. And you starting off on CDs then progressing to a laptop makes you a button pusher. You need to push the play button on the CDJ to start the music, you need to push the stop button, you need to push the eject button, you need to push the loop button. (do you want me to continue?) Bottom line you came in as a button pusher and you now have amnesia of where you come from. Don't get all up in your feelings cuz I called you on it.

I'm speaking to you like a grown articulate man, with reason, common sense, and some insight. Maybe that's just the issue in itself?

You have to press play and stop on a technic the same way so are you a button pusher?
DJ Xplosive (617) 6:32 AM - 23 February, 2012
Maybe I'm being unclear my intention wasn't to bash the "New Generation" it was to ask what do we do now? As mixmasters and true dj that have the culture as a background I come from a music family and yes cds were also frowned upon but I would never have touched cds without 1st learning vynil I took the time to perfect my craft and I'm wondering if this is the end of that road? Or will our existance still be noticed. Is that easier to understand?
DJBEATSONLINE 6:46 AM - 23 February, 2012
That's exactly what I meant. What now? Everyone should do their thing and not waste time on anyone else. Everyone does things differently. I don't think new dj's will do vinyl anymore since that's not what's new. Let them do their midi controller thing.
DJ Xplosive (617) 6:47 AM - 23 February, 2012
Ok that's them. I'm ok with that now when they phase us out what do we do?
DJBEATSONLINE 7:47 AM - 23 February, 2012
Wouldn't be able to answer that.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:24 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
Hello Fellow DJ's,

I'm from boston and out here a new dj pops up daily. this doesn't frustrate me much BUT the fact that they travel with Virtual DJ and ITCH into the club shows me they don't undestand the basics that most of had to endure to get to where we currently are in this stage of our career. i have been doing this for 10years i started on cd's moved to laptop and vynil and now i currently use CDJ's and a Mac. those stages of pregression had to be mastered before you can move to the next level and now i am being undercut by push button dj's who are doing it for drink tickets man SMH i cannot believe someone will bring a set up in the club spend 6 hours entertaining and come out with not a penny but pissy drunk where are we going as a business?

Quote:
Maybe I'm being unclear my intention wasn't to bash the "New Generation" it was to ask what do we do now? As mixmasters and true dj that have the culture as a background I come from a music family and yes cds were also frowned upon but I would never have touched cds without 1st learning vynil I took the time to perfect my craft and I'm wondering if this is the end of that road? Or will our existance still be noticed. Is that easier to understand?

You are very clear. First post you say you started out on CDs,then laptop, then vinyl. Now in another post you say you started on vinyl.

Smells like bullshit to me.
pdidy 11:37 PM - 23 February, 2012
I think the op real issue is the free dj not the tools they use.
sixxx 11:54 PM - 23 February, 2012
My Technics 1200's have ZERO BUTTONS. I took off the on/start button. Now it always stays on regardless. It's plug and play.

nm
Audio1 11:55 PM - 23 February, 2012
Quote:
As I get older I start to care less about what other DJs are doing until it directly affects me. The technology is changing so quickly, only a fan-boy would limit thierself by using only one brand or kind of gear.
/END OF THREAD!
Dj JesC 3:26 AM - 24 February, 2012
Only real djs use 1200's MK2 anything above is cheating cause Stone Cold Steve Austin Said SO! (cracks open two beers)

btw whats the return policy on itch controllers?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:31 AM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
I think the op real issue is the free dj not the tools they use.

Word. But this is nothing new. HEDJ's have been doing this for as long as I remember. Its only such a wide spread issue now because of how many DJ's there are on the scene.
DJ Xplosive (617) 6:46 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Fellow DJ's,

Quote:

You are very clear. First post you say you started out on CDs,then laptop, then vinyl. Now in another post you say you started on vinyl.

i didn't say i started djing on vynils i said i learned it before i came out when i started djing in clubs i was on cd's but when i first learned it was on turntables. Seems to me like your trying to come at me instead of answer the question you must not be on the scene anymore so it doesn't concern you so your being a dick about it but for any REAL dj's that actually spin at clubs or events other than family functions i'd love your opinions
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:56 PM - 24 February, 2012
I spin in clubs and my opinion....smells like bullshit
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:57 PM - 24 February, 2012
Xplosive bullshit at that lol jk
DJ Xplosive (617) 8:50 PM - 24 February, 2012
lol @M.Bezzle i love the humor FYI anytime you guys wanna come test the boston crowd you have an open invite and you can smell my bull shit lol
djdalite 8:54 PM - 24 February, 2012
Lol, you totally back tracked. You must now post pics of said turntables to redeem yourself.

To me technology is only good for the art form, it deff is annoying and sucks seeing these Lil kids having mom going to best buy and buying them itch and a controller but it is what it is. I got my turntables when I was 13 and I got them because it was the look and the feel that intrested me, also the scratching aspect. I learned on those till I met my mentor and learned best matching on his numark cd players, that actually helped me because the pitch wouldn't drift, in that sense the technology helped me. I learned scratching first then beat matching. I embraced technology and got cdn-88's which were probably the most releastic emulator at the time, then I was there when they released the first cdj, told my buddy at Sam ash that these would revolutionize dj'n, two days later they had them in the store and I went everyday afterschool (sometimes I skipped) just to practice on them. Finally saved and got a killer deal on my first pair. Rocked those for gigs instead of lugging the tables and crates (unless it was a big gig then I would bring them for the show aspect). Anyway not sure of my point other than without the evolving technology I would only have learned turntables and not had experience on other equipment, ie new mixers even, I try to learn all the major ones so I'm
Familiar with them. I think it can only expand your knowledge and creativity, all the new young jacks who start out wih these controllers are really missing out on the entire learning curve and skill base which will only make them a weaker DJ in the long run. Same goes for producers who pick up a Mac and a midi buy some sample pack and create a soulja boy beat. They cant take a sp1200 and make dead presidents like ski beatz. So really think of yourself as having a edge on the compition, now you just gotta expand your niche
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:58 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
lol @M.Bezzle i love the humor FYI anytime you guys wanna come test the boston crowd you have an open invite and you can smell my bull shit lol

Id assume it smell like CHOWDA
DJ Xplosive (617) 9:28 PM - 24 February, 2012
@DjDaLite i love your point and i embrace it as you can see in display i rock 1200's Alot but CDJ's are much lighter to carry but i can get it in on any set my point should have been more geared towards the learning process and what is missed....
DJ Xplosive (617) 9:28 PM - 24 February, 2012
@M.Bezzle lol your a fool where you from family?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:41 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
@M.Bezzle lol your a fool where you from family?

NOLA/mobile....dont mind me im just still drunk from mardi gras lol :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:42 PM - 24 February, 2012
ps..may be wrong but you can see turntables in his avatar
DJ Xplosive (617) 9:46 PM - 24 February, 2012
yea your correct those are 1200's
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:50 PM - 24 February, 2012
See there we go hes legit
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:17 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Fellow DJ's,

Quote:

i didn't say i started djing on vynils i said i learned it before i came out when i started djing in clubs i was on cd's but when i first learned it was on turntables. Seems to me like your trying to come at me instead of answer the question you must not be on the scene anymore so it doesn't concern you so your being a dick about it but for any REAL dj's that actually spin at clubs or events other than family functions i'd love your opinions

Dude are you serious? Your are a liar and I'm calling you on it.

Your very first post says " i have been doing this for 10years i started on cd's moved to laptop and vynil and now i currently use CDJ's and a Mac."

Your other post says "I would never have touched cds without 1st learning vynil"

Now this post says "i didn't say i started djing on vynils"

So now which lie it is? Come on, I'll wait...I have time.

You come in here all pompous talking about being 10 years in the game shitting on people who are doing what you did when you started. GTFOOHWTBS

Let me help you with something junior. In case you don't know, on this forum when we smell bull shit we call you on it. You are not the first caught in a lie and wont be the last. What will help you is when you are caught either abandon the post, or man up to it. When you start with the name calling, and talking stupidity...it just further shows that you lied and are butt hurt about it. (NH) Now if you wanna continue this charade we can. And I will continue to point out your lies. Or you can say man over board and abandon the thread. Your choice.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:33 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
Let me help you with something junior. In case
you don't know, on this forum when we smell
bull shit we call you on it. You are not the first
caught in a lie and wont be the last.

*editors note for more on this please refer to dj tecniq aka no cred and his STILL missing avatar lol
pdidy 10:39 PM - 24 February, 2012
smmfh.....yall funny.
DJ Xplosive (617) 10:51 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Fellow DJ's,

Quote:

Your very first post says " i have been doing this for 10years i started on cd's moved to laptop and vynil and now i currently use CDJ's and a Mac."

Your other post says "I would never have touched cds without 1st learning vynil"

You come in here all pompous talking about being 10 years in the game shitting on people who are doing what you did when you started. GTFOOHWTBS

Let me help you with something junior. In case you don't know, on this forum when we smell bull shit we call you on it. You are not the first caught in a lie and wont be the last. What will help you is when you are caught either abandon the post, or man up to it. When you start with the name calling, and talking stupidity...it just further shows that you lied and are butt hurt about it. (NH) Now if you wanna continue this charade we can. And I will continue to point out your lies. Or you can say man over board and abandon the thread. Your choice.

When I say start djing I mean going on my own (CDJ's) when I was learning/being taught how the machines work it was on vynils (techs) how is that hard to understand why would I need to lie about what I started using to spin? And yea I would love to continue also I'd like to invite you personally to my city in my home to go through my scrap book and you can see for yourself lil homie. As a man calling me a liar is like saying you would like your ass beat that's your 2nd warning watch yourself. To be so wise your really fucking dumb learn to ask questions then make assumptions or educated guess don't try to tie it all in without knowing what your speaking about because you make yourself look like more of an ass then your display pic. Good day sir
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:25 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Fellow DJ's,

Quote:

When I say start djing I mean going on my own (CDJ's) when I was learning/being taught how the machines work it was on vynils (techs) how is that hard to understand why would I need to lie about what I started using to spin? And yea I would love to continue also I'd like to invite you personally to my city in my home to go through my scrap book and you can see for yourself lil homie. As a man calling me a liar is like saying you would like your ass beat that's your 2nd warning watch yourself. To be so wise your really fucking dumb learn to ask questions then make assumptions or educated guess don't try to tie it all in without knowing what your speaking about because you make yourself look like more of an ass then your display pic. Good day sir

Ohh so now it's "what I meant to say is..." LOL!!! You are full of Friday Night Funnies. See how hard it is to keep up with your lies? Just tell the truth dude. I commend you for trying to clean it up as you go. Next time, you need to type what you mean from the jump.

Gangsta Gangsta... i388.photobucket.com Look here cream puff. No one scared of you. This board is not for your fake thuggish nonsense. Instead of day dreaming about trying to beat me up, you might wanna go get ya lies straight.

(yeah...I called you a liar again)
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:26 PM - 24 February, 2012
Quote:
smmfh.....yall funny.

I'm here til Thursday. Don't forget to tip the waitresses.
DJ Xplosive (617) 11:58 PM - 24 February, 2012
This dude is incredible you know what it is mr photobucket you think anything is fake or false come prove it it's that simple the invite is there

FYI next time you dj a cookout leave the bath towel home you need to sweat to cut the pounds no more chicken unless it's baked
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:23 AM - 25 February, 2012
Quote:
This dude is incredible you know what it is mr photobucket you think anything is fake or false come prove it it's that simple the invite is there

FYI next time you dj a cookout leave the bath towel home you need to sweat to cut the pounds no more chicken unless it's baked

I love how you continue to show how what I said it true and you have no comebacks for it.

I'm pushing the buttons of the button pusher. LOL
Dysquo 1:28 AM - 25 February, 2012
I rock Techs, CDJs, Denons, Itch, Doesn't matter! I would give up Serato if something came along that I liked better. I would rather listen to a DJ that knows how to use his gear then someone struggling to learn.

Watchwww.youtube.com

The problem isn't the gear.... It's the undercutting!
Maskrider 1:47 AM - 25 February, 2012
I'm getting older for this....lol In reality nobody cares what you use all it matters is what is coming out of the speaker......I have turntables here at home gathering dust I'm keeping it for nostalgic reasons but my workhorse at the meantime is VCI300 that is all I need......It made my life a lot easier since I'm a Mobile and a Bar Dj..
Where most of the time people are just sitting down and getting drunk and Don't give a fuck......lol

The quality of Music that you put out is what matters most, like others said reading the crowd is what makes you a good Dj.
DJ Xplosive (617) 4:23 AM - 25 February, 2012
i agree quality is key and yes the undercutting is the main issue i guess i was basing the under cutting on the access people have to become a dj with such easy products and they will just do anything to get on the scene. i will be openminded not all new dj's have the same M.O. just gotta weed out the bad ones
DJ Xplosive (617) 4:24 AM - 25 February, 2012
lol and fat guy thinks hes pushing buttons lol man kids these days
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:21 AM - 25 February, 2012
Quote:
lol and fat guy thinks hes pushing buttons lol man kids these days

LOL I am your master. PWNED! You are trying to grasp at anything to keep from looking like the lying douche that you are. So you want to take a little piece of each of their convos to fit what you are saying. Don't twist their words out of context.

It's in black and white...you are a liar! No names you call me will change that. Anyone that reads this thread will see you are a liar.

" i have been doing this for 10years i started on cd's moved to laptop and vynil and now i currently use CDJ's and a Mac."

"I would never have touched cds without 1st learning vynil"

"i didn't say i started djing on vynils"

Those are your words liar. LMAO!
dj_soo 7:23 AM - 25 February, 2012
Wow. This is shaping up to be one of the dumber threads on here. And that's saying quite a bit...
DJ Xplosive (617) 2:44 PM - 27 February, 2012
It just shows theres no unity i'm sure the original point of the post was made at some point throughout this discussion the guy "trying" to expose me is a "non-factor"
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:43 AM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:
It just shows theres no unity i'm sure the original point of the post was made at some point throughout this discussion the guy "trying" to expose me is a "non-factor"

Yes the original point was made. You shitted on some people who came in the game just like you did. That's the bottom line to it all.

BTW...I'm a factor that's why you keep mentioning me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:22 AM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:
Hello Fellow DJ's,

i have been doing this for 10years i started on cd's moved to laptop and ....

I stopped reading right there....lol.

So CDJ's are old school...huh?

****goes to post a pic of my Close & Play****
d:raf 6:26 AM - 28 February, 2012
I quit reading after the first run-on sentence, but came back to check for possible absurdity. Well worth it; it's always entertaining to see asswhuppin' threats on message boards.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:08 PM - 28 February, 2012
Quote:
I quit reading after the first run-on sentence

Youll have to forgive his typing, its difficult to type properly with your laptop off to the side lol
DJ Xplosive (617) 6:24 PM - 29 February, 2012
just for shits and giggles, id love to download some of you guys mix tapes any available?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:43 PM - 29 February, 2012
DJ Xplosive (617) 4:31 PM - 2 March, 2012
DJ Xplosive (617) 4:34 PM - 2 March, 2012
(Reggae/Dancehall) soundcloud.com

(Old & New R&B) soundcloud.com
DJ Xplosive (617) 4:36 PM - 2 March, 2012
Reggae/Dancehall) soundcloud.com

(Old & New R&B) soundcloud.com
DJ Xplosive (617) 12:11 PM - 11 January, 2017
always good to come back and see who has what going on, @dj val? lol
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:52 AM - 12 January, 2017
Don't tell me you been doing this for 15 years now and the button pushers are still undercutting you.