Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

And the haters were right about ITCH 2.0...

soundbiter 4:55 AM - 6 April, 2011
I, as well as many others I'm sure, are stoked about the prospect of new controllerist additions to ITCH from Novation and the coming release. After years in development and one of the biggest forum whinefests over software I've ever seen, ITCH 2.0 has been announced for Q3 2011...Okay, well that's the first disappointment, but at least it's confirmed now?

Let's see...after all the discussion, pressuring, whining, and speculating, we have arrived at the long awaited official announcement of the 2.0 upgrade...one we have been talking about SINCE 2009...

The upgrade that has spent YEARS in development, and Serato has listed EIGHT bullet point features to mark the most significant new features in ITCH 2.0, and as listed these are 75% of them..., (LOL) really?

# Brand new Display Modes with a range of deck layouts.
# Night and Day color schemes for easy visibility under any conditions.
# Enhanced Album Art browsing for quick identification of your music.
# "Smart Crates" which auto-fill using keywords from your music library.
# "Serato Playlists" enabling sharing of your sets online.
# New File Management options to allow you to easily copy crates and tracks to external drives for your gig.

TWENTY FIVE PERCENT of the "new features" are about how you can how manipulate the GUI appearance.

Night and day color schemes? Is this really one of the most significant updates ever!! I'm glad it received a bullet point... And ALBUM ART??! This is 1 of the 8 most notable features...they clearly realize they don't have much to show us...

The additional listed FIFTY PERCENT of these "features" DO NOT add SIGNIFICANT, or HIGHLY REQUESTED FUNCTIONALITY to the software. Oh, new playlist functionality, how useful (useless). These are functions that we don't even need ITCH for. Why waste time developing a way for us to share of sets online, seriously?!? Record .wav, upload to internet. Wow, thanks for that feature!

The final two bullet are the Sampler, and a vague statement about general improvements to sync/beatgrids. The Sampler is the ONLY CONCRETE FEATURE that actually "upgrades" ITCH.

So we have waited, whined, and speculated since 2009 for slight interface changes and useless organization/upload features? We got a SINGLE feature that Scratch Live already had for YEARS? This a joke of a release... and still, Q3 2011 for this "upgrade?"

No video after all the asking/whining for it? No 4 from 2 deck expansion or possibilities for such activities? No significant additions/improvements to FX??

Basically, you can see just by this announcement of 2.0 that Serato is having a hard time expressing useful features, based on the boring video and embarrassingly bare featurelist. They divided "display modes" and "night and day color schemes" into separate points just to make the upgrade look more substantial, not to mention "album art" got its own point. Seriously, this can't NOT bring a smile to your face, it's obvious how much they are scrambling to try and make this release seem worth all its YEARS IN DEVELOPMENT and just can't.

So, unfortunately, the haters were right on this one. A SERIOUS letdown has occurred. Competitors (i.e. Traktor) have clearly bested ITCH, and that is unfortunate. What a disappointment.

(Read over those bullet points carefully from the video page if you are unaware of the points I'm talking about. Here: serato.com )
DJDOUBLEA 4:59 AM - 6 April, 2011
Watch out dude. Certain fan boys in here are gonna light yo ass on fire for talking smack about serato....i still give it a plus 10000. Serato is definately not winning
soundbiter 5:05 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Watch out dude. Certain fan boys in here are gonna light yo ass on fire for talking smack about serato....i still give it a plus 10000. Serato is definately not winning

I'm not worried about fanboys, they have nothing on this argument :) Thanks for the agreement!

In addition, here is ONE MORE CRUCIAL POINT as made by DJ Franke Labate on the video page:
Quote:
If you guys were transparent about what we should expect and not left us to speculate and hope for something great this wouldn't be such a disappointment to Itch users.

Why did Serato not handle its userbase properly and TELL US ALONG THE WAY (and by this I mean over the course of the last few YEARS) the features they were developing? Instead they have kept hush-hush about this release, barely sent official announcements about even though they knew there was massive customer inquiry/speculation about it, and now they are showing a long-awaited product to these customers and STILL expecting it to be received well?

If you don't have an impressive product to show, why would you, as a company, allow it to be built up so much? And they had YEARS to quell this general build in anticipation.

Seems Serato can't keep up with its competitors in proper handling of their product, unfortunately (not to mention the subpar product itself).
DJ Trilogy NYC 5:10 AM - 6 April, 2011
like the change in interface/ SP-6 but really?... this is terrible
i got the ns7 and love it but itch just feels so far behind EVERYTHING else smh
i was debating between the vci-300 and the mc-6000 (eventually going back to SSL)
... this vid just made my decision
DJDOUBLEA 5:13 AM - 6 April, 2011
Who's running the customer service over there James Franco? Stop smoking the pineapple express and wake up!
soundbiter 5:15 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Who's running the customer service over there James Franco? Stop smoking the pineapple express and wake up!

Quote:
this is terrible
... this vid just made my decision

I know fellas! :(
zaguama 5:31 AM - 6 April, 2011
all i have to say is this. They did a makeover to ITCH to make it more streamlined with Scratch live. question: Why they didn't make ITCH like scratchlive in first place? Why go through all this trouble for 2 years? They make it look like SSL and ITCH are competitors like Traktor and Serato, who knows maybe this is the case? so now ITCH is catching up with SSL while SSL needs to catch up with Traktor?

Pros
- Same library functionality as SSL.
- SP6 as SSL
- Album Art as SSL
- Some improvements on beatgrids / sync (i will guess quantize/snap functionality but its not a fact)

Things that were not mentioned
- no Improved FX?
- no video?
- no better keylock algorythm?
- no bridge?

I'll still use ITCH cuz works very good for me and some of my performances but that doesnt deny the fact that i was expecting something more, something that will innovate, something that will help us on our performance, this are minor features borrowed from Scratchlive, THE CROWD wont care that we can now see album art bigger and copy/paste crates from one drive to the other or share our playlist with our mates, they WILL ENJOY video and perhaps more interesting effects.

And a BIG thank you to Pene, for some reason i think she had to do all this by herself working 7 days a week and its not her fault :p
zaguama 5:31 AM - 6 April, 2011
sorry had to vent :) i feel better now, no further comments from me.
soundbiter 6:02 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
sorry had to vent :) i feel better now, no further comments from me.

That's the point of the thread :) And I agree, why all the trouble for years?
zanzibar1 6:53 AM - 6 April, 2011
@Zaguama,

the more I think about the more right I think you are.

I think Serato realised that having two departments that are technically competing is not the way for a business to run.

Correct me if I am wrong but the S4 is totally compatible with TP2 right? Which is the same software Traktor folk use for DVS. I think those guys realised, "why work on two totally different pieces of software, when we can put all our time and effort into one."

From the LOOKS of it, serato is now trying to do what you say zaguama, make itch more like SSl so that in the future serato can pump out more updates more often for both types of program.

That means this is the "invisible upgrade" the one that we the end user can't see the real improvement. Only improved reliability and faster updates in the future will tell if it really is that big of a deal. And that will take time.
Kmxorbit 9:14 AM - 6 April, 2011
I've read in these forum in the early days, that Serato had to watch out with the agreement they had with Rane in order being able to develop Itch .

I guess that was one of the first difficulties they had to overcome. And I still think it has a big influence on their development.

secondly, I don't think they realized themselves what a huge success Itch has become from the beginning.
Let's face it, the VCI-300 was the first 1 to 1 mapped controller with it's own dedicated program. I don't think they ever had the idea there was such a large (semi) professional DJ community that was open for such an idea.
(If you sometimes read the SSL forums, you understand exactly what I mean by "not being open" for new DJ techniques.

I'm a true fan of serato Itch, but I can't blame other people being sceptic about progress speed of new implementations. But this needs a bit comprehension from their side too.
Each controller has it's own physical limitations (especially with the 1 to 1 mapping philosophy) So it's not easy to give everyone the updates they want for the gear they already posses.
If you want to give everyone the same possibilities, you carefully have to think every single function over before implementing it.

I guess that takes time...
haze324 10:43 AM - 6 April, 2011
the update is ok, I also expected more...

..what's going to be a tough pill to swallow are ALL the comments that will say "Itch is more like SSL, more features will come soon ---- just wait!"

Just Wait, and Coming Soon, and You'll see are just a bunch of empty promises that folks don't want to hear. It's just childish to be spoken to that way.
DJ Urkel Dee 10:55 AM - 6 April, 2011
I am one of those guys that asked for the GUI to look like SSL/sampler and am pleased in that standpoint.... But I think it might be a case of too little too late for a lot of people.
djbagz 11:18 AM - 6 April, 2011
Are you telling me there is no video,no 4 decks but they give us art cover for search and smart playlist for sharing sets online ? LMFAO.....

if this is true watt a joke...............
seratosnatch 11:25 AM - 6 April, 2011
I think there is more than just a GUI makeover..believe a lot of the code has been fully re-written (under the hood).
Javier drada 11:49 AM - 6 April, 2011
It is exactly what I have been wishing for, as for 4 decks, I believe that is good on 4 deck controllers and video well maybe next but this is a huge improvement.
Dj Papa Doc 12:17 PM - 6 April, 2011
I remembered when i First got My v'7s and and called up customer service... And asked "whats the difference between scratch live and Itch?" And the serato Rep Told me " Itch is for more bedrom djs and scratch live are for people more serious about djing" i should of known they werent gonna take the itch software serious....

SmH...
I mean if they said they plan on implementing some of the most requested features i would feel more comfortable...but at this point i cant wait im looking for alternatives....
djcerla 12:18 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
But I think it might be a case of too little too late for a lot of people.

Let's imagine for one moment how things would have turned if user's wet dreams all became true, magically, in one big all-features-aboard 2.0 version.

1) big celebrations of ITCH forum until
2) public beta gets released and users suddenly realize that
3) it's impossible to implement so many huge new sections without introducing myriads of new bugs; the software turned into spaghetti-code almost impossible to fix
4) dream turn into nightmare, beta phase lasts forever until developers decide to
5) go back to drawing board and build a solid modular architecture from the ground up

With this update, they've skipped points 1-4 and went straight to 5. Not only that, but they've added some very important, frequently requested features in the process.

Remember that Traktor took as many as 10 years to get where it is now, while ITCH is only 3 years old. Features will be added, now more easily thanks to the new architecture. There's much to like in this strategy that basically future-proofes the software.

Keep up the good work, Serato!
kraal 12:24 PM - 6 April, 2011
first let me say all i ever wanted was a sampler so i am personally happy

now let me point out something said by SERATO awhile back about the 2.0 delay --- they are reworking from scratch in order to brings features faster....

I am sure there wil 2.1 and 2.2 with features added a few at a time
it is impossible to add and trouble shoot too many features at once

but most of all ITCH is not traktor or vdj so some of peoples thoughts are just that still compairing it to what the others are... but if you look at itch for what it is i think this 2.0 upgrade is pretty good.
DJDOUBLEA 12:28 PM - 6 April, 2011
@djcerla @kraal hey fellas no offence this is the haters thread. we all know were you guys stand on itch and its greatness
kraal 12:29 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
@djcerla @kraal hey fellas no offence this is the haters thread. we all know were you guys stand on itch and its greatness

point of this thread says 'the haters were right' but if you actually look at my threads and comments --- i was also right :)
haze324 12:32 PM - 6 April, 2011
yep.

The common theme is gonne be now "The new Itch will bring more updates faster....You'll see, and soon enough"
I1Kirm 12:35 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

lol...

Maybe we should start a thread that is only for ITCH fans and forbid any haters from posting there
DJDOUBLEA 12:36 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

point of this thread says 'the haters were right' but if you actually look at my threads and comments --- i was also right :)

Fair enough sir. Can you see why we are disapointed though?
kraal 12:37 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

lol...

Maybe we should start a thread that is only for ITCH fans and forbid any haters from posting there

no i think that was a 'request' to not stomp too hard on this thread let them post their frustrations without arguing with uses about it
I1Kirm 12:39 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
no i think that was a 'request' to not stomp too hard on this thread let them post their frustrations without arguing with uses about it

Fair enough :)
kraal 12:43 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

yes and no --- i would like more post of what it is that is NOT there that makes this a disapointment... just curious -- the sampler and smart crates are great.
upgraded beat gridding and sync a major plus

no video but i honestly did not expect that in this update -- too big of a jump.
no 4 deck support -- i mean with the dedicated 4 deck controllers shows that was not going to happen
the fact that effects were not shown or mentioned make me think that those are still being worked on ( yeah my personal optimistic wish tossed in )
haze324 12:50 PM - 6 April, 2011
^ while I agree that these are "good" updates. It is underwhelming.

The SP-6 is nothing new, and library management - smart crates, album art are very useful these are not real performance enhancers. It kinda looks like they upgraded an easy target "the library" and some GUI views and then added an already existing tool the SP-6 which by now is 2 years old.

What is new. What is so mind blowing. Not much. So while these are nice updates, it's nothing special man. This place wanted something special. It would've been great to have beatgrid synced effects. Or the addition of one or two new effects -- after all the VFX-1 came with empty slots for updates.

What sucks is now for all those hopefuls it's back to "wait more is coming...soon?"
DJDOUBLEA 12:50 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yes and no --- i would like more post of what it is that is NOT there that makes this a disapointment... just curious -- the sampler and smart crates are great.
upgraded beat gridding and sync a major plus

no video but i honestly did not expect that in this update -- too big of a jump.
no 4 deck support -- i mean with the dedicated 4 deck controllers shows that was not going to happen
the fact that effects were not shown or mentioned make me think that those are still being worked on ( yeah my personal optimistic wish tossed in )

Like i said before I think if Serato had only stepped there communication game up you wouldn't have THIS much hate on their new update. Their continued silence can do no good. I personally think the lack of the bridge is kinda ridiculous but i would've hushed had they released a beta until Q3
haze324 12:53 PM - 6 April, 2011
Yeah that's the other thing....what about Bridge coming in 2011.

Or folks being told at shows that it would be here in 6 months.

I compare this with the Traktor 2 release and man, NI just hits it out of the park each time with their marketing, vids, releases, etc. This just all seemed to be the minor leagues. We have a 3 minute video. That's all they have right now? No video of it in action, nothing else. That i believe is part of the communication process and just reflects where the product is going or in this case hasn't gone.
djcerla 12:56 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
What is new. What is so mind blowing. Not much

And what's "mind blowing" in Traktor 2 then?

Sampler, looprecorder, ported from S4 version.
Colored waveforms, copied from Serato.
4 new effects? Is this "mind blowing" for you?

No, it definitely isn't. T2 is a MINOR upgrade, with a HUGE marketing campaign behind it.
kraal 12:56 PM - 6 April, 2011
so we are talking marketing videos not dj performance?
FrankC15 12:57 PM - 6 April, 2011
I'm glad that they are focusing on improving the core functionality before adding on too many bells and whistles. I think the enhanced sync and beatgrid will do a lot to improve the performance of the software, especially to fully take advantage of some of the new features of the Novation Twitch. Seems like the "Slicer Mode" wouldn't be that useful if the beat gridding continued to be as inaccurate as it is now.

I'm wondering how the SP-6 will be controlled on the hardware end. Will this map to controls on the VCI-300? My guess is that we may see a VFX-2 released with SP-6 controls.
kraal 12:59 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

I'm wondering how the SP-6 will be controlled on the hardware end. Will this map to controls on the VCI-300? My guess is that we may see a VFX-2 released with SP-6 controls.

i wonder the same loading the loops and triggering

midi mapping for this feature anyone?
dj5fifty 1:02 PM - 6 April, 2011
I think serato was sitting on itch since 09. they didn't put it out becouse of serato scratch live. That was there main focus they will never make serato itch any were near there scratch live program becouse the would loose money. they make good controllers for itch so people buy them it looks hot and they want it. now on the other hand they have the itch FREE software [means we get the shit that serato scratch live out grows. itch has become a hand me down program. if they were to say make money from the upgrade tht serato itch provides we might just see some real changes. since 09 many many controller but a very very slow growth program, you do the math. yes traktor is 10 years old and vdj is 7 but in that time they have made the computer dj world what it is to day. they made changes and progressed. serato itch has had a head start be couse of that it was found technology. it should be alot better but its free so its not. itch will be in the cave man stages till people stop buying into there controllers. if they were to make there money or groupies on software there would not be a forum about itch. itch has has that software 2.0 ready to go in 2009 tell me do they really respect there customers or are they just trying to short us. I have v7 and i think i have been took for a ride. that they way the world works you see somthing nice you buy it but some times its got alot of things wrong inside of it you cant tell till your stuck with it. not a hater just a customer that has been crapped on
dj5fifty 1:04 PM - 6 April, 2011
we get the hand outs
kraal 1:04 PM - 6 April, 2011
here is something of interest from a different thread
Quote:
Quote:

So will there be more hardware for users who want bridge and sampler? Or do we get to choose our own midi device??

We don't make hardware, so I can't speculate on what might be made in the future. As for MIDI mapping in ITCH, it's definitely something we want to do, but I can't comment anymore sorry.
DJ1855 1:05 PM - 6 April, 2011
HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.

1) A rework of something that has apready been implemented within theor own company elsewhere shoudl nothve taken this long

2) Absoluetly agree, Serato has CREATED haters by the way they handle things such as communication, releases, feedback, etc. It's one thing to have haters, but it's another to create haters out of once beleivers.

3) A rework that will take another 6 months to be released. wow!?!

I've had a brand new S4 sitting on my desk for about a month. I delayed going through the learning curve because a few days after buying I found about the official April announcement. Now that the annoucement is made, it seems as if Serato is about 2 years worth of releases behind where Traktor is today. I think it's obvious. The learning curve starts today for me.
FrankC15 1:16 PM - 6 April, 2011
This sort of reminds me of the underwhelmed response when the iPad was released. From afar, it just looks like a giant iPhone; people didn't realize how cool it was until they actually got their hands on it and could play with it.

While the improvements seem minor, I think they're going to make a big difference when implemented with the Novation Twitch. If Sync and Beat Gridding are improved to the point where manual beat matching is an afterthought, it will open up a lot more avenues for creativity.
Kmxorbit 1:17 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
If Sync and Beat Gridding are improved to the point where manual beat matching is an afterthought, it will open up a lot more avenues for creativity.

You bet! +1
BadBoyChubs 1:20 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

If Sync and Beat Gridding are improved to the point where manual beat matching is an afterthought, it will open up a lot more avenues for creativity.

You bet! +1

only thing i want is the snap wid the beatgrid, cause i never use the beatgrid!
J-Love 1:28 PM - 6 April, 2011
My setup works perfectly. No stability issues whatsoever. NONE. I don't care about under the hood improvements. I know what I played and could give a rats ass if someone else can see what I played. I know how to arrange and move my crates in a very logical way. Day/Night mode??? you're kidding.... So basically we've waited 2 years for a port of existing technology? Sooooooooo disappointed. I just wanted video. That's all. Not too much to ask is it? Wait.. maybe it is.

I feel like it's Christmas morning and I just got coal in my stocking.
dj5fifty 1:30 PM - 6 April, 2011
Lmao
dj5fifty 1:32 PM - 6 April, 2011
i feel you i would have not got v7's if i new the real scoop
DJ Quartz 1:39 PM - 6 April, 2011
J-Love 1:42 PM - 6 April, 2011
I've used Rane/Serato products for a very long time. I've been happy with my NS7, but looking forward to additional features since I purchased it when it was first released. This is a HUGE letdown. I'm not hating, but I'd really like to know who comes up with what is or isn't added. Is this like other fields where people who don't use the stuff in real world situations on a day to day basis give their input?
I wanna be the guy who's proud of his purchase and feel like I'm ahead of the curve. I've sat in the N.I. offices and been handed product for endorsement deals but have waited because Serato is so comfortable. Kind of like that girlfriend you've had forever. Well they're both starting to lose that new car smell and now I need more. Throw me a bone people or it's time to move on, no love lost.
zaguama 1:55 PM - 6 April, 2011
guys, i know this doesnt help much but now that we have all vent our frustrations we should just reset our minds and start from 0. Just assume that this update never happened and you are still waiting for ITCH 2.0 and somewhere around Q4 or Q1 2012 ITCH 2.0 will come out (with the features we have been wanting), hope this helps your state of mind.
haze324 1:55 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

We are talking product management, roadmap, and communication.

All a reflection on the parent company.
BadBoyChubs 1:59 PM - 6 April, 2011
@J-love dont worry, serato did throw us a bone. we will be rewarded later. 2.0 is jus getting our feet wet for the big swim. from want i gather on serato posting is that they have bridge and video planned but they have seem to release stabilty 1st.
kraal 1:59 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

ok i see but honestly i dont care about any of that --- i care about djing and performance and features... so if serato says on oct 23rd 2012 xyz will be releaced it matters nothing to me cause i have a gig in 3 hours
kraal 2:02 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
My setup works perfectly. No stability issues whatsoever. NONE. I don't care about under the hood improvements..

the under hood improvments are to add other features easily....

i personally think a quick sucession of 2.1 and 2.2 will come
2.1 will add bridge
2.2 will add video

sampler bridge and video all at once will make it impossible to troble shoot if one is breaking the code
soundbiter 2:03 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

ok i see but honestly i dont care about any of that --- i care about djing and performance and features... so if serato says on oct 23rd 2012 xyz will be releaced it matters nothing to me cause i have a gig in 3 hours

Kraal - we understand that you want your software provider to function like a homebrew software company out of a college kid's dormroom, BUT the rest of us would like some communication and professionalism.
DJ1855 2:04 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
This sort of reminds me of the underwhelmed response when the iPad was released. From afar, it just looks like a giant iPhone; people didn't realize how cool it was until they actually got their hands on it and could play with it.
Quote:

I totally see the point you're trying to make, and teh fct that you are playing the glass is haf full card. I too always reach for that card first. However a better point would be that Apple is always ahead of the curve and everyone else is playing catch-up.

It's very obvious that Serato is no longer leading the way. Sure, both Serato and Apple share the same approach when it comes to stable platforms, however stability will only get you so far. You have to have both sable platforms and be paving the way. Apple has continued to work on both, while Serato is still only playing the stable card. That card for a while, however almost any current machine, if used just for music, will run these programs without glitches and shame on the guy that doesn't have a back up plan within arm's reach anyway.

Another Apple/Serato comparison. Apple has always been a stable product, but it wasn't until the Iphone, Ipod, and Ipad that Aple started to dominate. Creativity, Features, Artistic Expression will always lead the way. It's obvious Serato is not winning in this category.

Beleive me, I have been a die hard Serato guy up until now.
Dj Papa Doc 2:05 PM - 6 April, 2011
Yea what im hoping.. is they took so long for 2.0 to come out because they prolly had to change some under the hood things to make it more like scratch live to be able to add bridge and video faster... just hopeful thinking
kraal 2:06 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

Kraal - we understand that you want your software provider to function like a homebrew software company out of a college kid's dormroom, BUT the rest of us would like some communication and professionalism.

virtualdj did the same thing with version 7
traktor had a fire sale months before anouncing tp2 which was only announced a couple months before release ...
kraal 2:07 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Yea what im hoping.. is they took so long for 2.0 to come out because they prolly had to change some under the hood things to make it more like scratch live to be able to add bridge and video faster... just hopeful thinking

not just hopeful thinking cause SERATO posted that on these forum :)
Dj Papa Doc 2:08 PM - 6 April, 2011
reallly i must of missed it.. thats good then.. im a little more excited
DJ1855 2:08 PM - 6 April, 2011
My Quote marks above seem to have gotten reversed. It should have read:

Quote:

While the improvements seem minor, I think they're going to make a big difference when implemented with the Novation Twitch. If Sync and Beat Gridding are improved to the point where manual beat matching is an afterthought, it will open up a lot more avenues for creativity.

I totally see the point you're trying to make, and teh fct that you are playing the glass is haf full card. I too always reach for that card first. However a better point would be that Apple is always ahead of the curve and everyone else is playing catch-up.

It's very obvious that Serato is no longer leading the way. Sure, both Serato and Apple share the same approach when it comes to stable platforms, however stability will only get you so far. You have to have both sable platforms and be paving the way. Apple has continued to work on both, while Serato is still only playing the stable card. That card for a while, however almost any current machine, if used just for music, will run these programs without glitches and shame on the guy that doesn't have a back up plan within arm's reach anyway.

Another Apple/Serato comparison. Apple has always been a stable product, but it wasn't until the Iphone, Ipod, and Ipad that Aple started to dominate. Creativity, Features, Artistic Expression will always lead the way. It's obvious Serato is not winning in this category.

Beleive me, I have been a die hard Serato guy up until now.
Dj Papa Doc 2:08 PM - 6 April, 2011
you got a link to the convo??
haze324 2:09 PM - 6 April, 2011
With all the hopefuls saying that they are sure this is just the beginning that more is sure to come soon.

I just read on Quartz thread that 2.0 is still in alpha? No word on a beta, or much less a final product. You do understand that Q3 could be September!!!

Are there any vidoes of 2.0 actually working. Or do we just have the vid with the lady talking? So perhaps we get video and Bridge many by Oct - Dec or even 2012.

I'm not knocking the udpates. I think the SP-6 and Library are nice additions - but the management of the product since Q4 2009 statement has been pretty bad.
dj5fifty 2:09 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

itch 2.1 will be 2014 and 2.2 will be 2015 by that time software will be light years ahead. I am not playing this has been there m.o
djcerla 2:10 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

itch 2.1 will be 2014 and 2.2 will be 2015 by that time software will be light years ahead. I am not playing this has been there m.o

where did you get those dates from?
Dj Papa Doc 2:10 PM - 6 April, 2011
lmao
haze324 2:11 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Traktor had a fire sale months before anouncing tp2 which was only announced a couple months before release ...

Yes, and with the S4 they teased it in July, announced it August, Demo'd it for two months and released it a few days early. Same thing happend with TSP2. Tease, Announce, Demo, release on date. In fact I got my TSP2 two days prior to the release date. Bug free.

It's just better product managment, which instills confidence in the consumer. That does not exist with Itch. Hence the outburst.
DJ1855 2:14 PM - 6 April, 2011
The REAL news would have been:

"We've redesigned Itch based on SSL. This will allow plug-ins, Beta is available NOW, and Video, Bridge, Synced Samples, etc to be released by Q3."

With the way things have been rolling out from Serato, "Serato is not winning" is a fair statement for now.
haze324 2:16 PM - 6 April, 2011
^ +100
kraal 2:17 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

I just read on Quartz thread that 2.0 is still in alpha? No word on a beta, or much less a final product. You do understand that Q3 could be September!!!

and a mod said that??? that was an official serato statement?
dj5fifty 2:19 PM - 6 April, 2011
i calculated them dates. Its a prediction itch is slllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww. waited 3 years for a copy of ssl. they talk a good game but as you can see 3 years of a copy and paste project. and they still aint finished
haze324 2:19 PM - 6 April, 2011
well Mr. Techmate did...

....but a Mod hasn't said otherwise, and there is NO news of a beta right now --- so I would say that statement is accurate unless proven otherwise.

Is there a vid of it shown working?
zaguama 2:23 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Traktor had a fire sale months before anouncing tp2 which was only announced a couple months before release ...

Yes, and with the S4 they teased it in July, announced it August, Demo'd it for two months and released it a few days early. Same thing happend with TSP2. Tease, Announce, Demo, release on date. In fact I got my TSP2 two days prior to the release date. Bug free.

It's just better product managment, which instills confidence in the consumer. That does not exist with Itch. Hence the outburst.

Serato has a very different way of operating than NI, you should know that by now lol. You should probably head out to the Video-SL forums, that even looks like they abandoned development 2 years ago, but luckily they have MixEmergency as an available option which is quite popular.
dj5fifty 2:26 PM - 6 April, 2011
serato itch should be change to serato shit
dj5fifty 2:27 PM - 6 April, 2011
at least we would know what we are in for
Dj Papa Doc 2:40 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
serato itch should be change to serato shit

LMAO!!!!
Sureshot (PA) 3:03 PM - 6 April, 2011
the update is stacked with usable features. personally i love Itch as it is and all i really wanted was the Smart Playlist addition and possibly the SP6. tons of people were whining about the GUI so of course they worked on that. it was an easy fix. honestly, the sense of entitlement round here is ludicrous. to think that you won't be happy unless your unrealistic checklist is fully crossed off is very American of you. good luck with that.
kraal 3:23 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

ok since we are compairing this FIRST 2.0 video which is showing features coming but the word is NI did a better job comunicating ect --does anyone remember exactly what NI released ... not the craze video on the day of release but this :

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJDOUBLEA 3:24 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
the update is stacked with usable features. personally i love Itch as it is and all i really wanted was the Smart Playlist addition and possibly the SP6. tons of people were whining about the GUI so of course they worked on that. it was an easy fix. honestly, the sense of entitlement round here is ludicrous. to think that you won't be happy unless your unrealistic checklist is fully crossed off is very American of you. good luck with that.

where were these "tons"? dude i'm canadian has nothing to do with nationality its Serato's fault for failure to communicate then come out with the attitude of here's the update you'll get it when we say you do. take it or leave like WTF
elsupermang 3:26 PM - 6 April, 2011
Yes 2.0 was not the end-all Itch update so many people want it to be.

You guys have to realize there is a process to development not just a magical wand that will add features. There was a roadmap set and the roadmap seemed to be a major architecture overhaul. The decision was made and goals and tasks were set around this. Itch 2.0 looks to support the same modular code that should allow it to absorb some SSL features with "minor" changes to the code. Saying development is a copy and paste operation just shows complete ignorance to the workings of software development.

Traktor 2.0 didn't add many mindblowing features to Traktor, it was coloured waveforms, GUI changes and new effects + support for newer hardware.

You guys are clearly suffering from the grass is greener on the other side syndrome. Why don't you go next door then see how much greener it is?

P.S. Looks like the full-screen vertical waveform is gone in Itch 2.0. I really like that view!!! Say it aint so!
DJDOUBLEA 3:28 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Yes 2.0 was not the end-all Itch update so many people want it to be.

You guys have to realize there is a process to development not just a magical wand that will add features. There was a roadmap set and the roadmap seemed to be a major architecture overhaul. The decision was made and goals and tasks were set around this. Itch 2.0 looks to support the same modular code that should allow it to absorb some SSL features with "minor" changes to the code. Saying development is a copy and paste operation just shows complete ignorance to the workings of software development.

Traktor 2.0 didn't add many mindblowing features to Traktor, it was coloured waveforms, GUI changes and new effects + support for newer hardware.

You guys are clearly suffering from the grass is greener on the other side syndrome. Why don't you go next door then see how much greener it is?

P.S. Looks like the full-screen vertical waveform is gone in Itch 2.0. I really like that view!!! Say it aint so!

Hmmmm maybe for future responses we keep the comparisons strictly to serato products
FrankC15 3:31 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

Actually I think Serato is showing the same kind of pioneering spirit that made Apple what it was. There would be nothing creative about just turning Itch into a poor man's version of Traktor. Much like Apple, they seem wary of feature bloat and prefer a "wall-garden" software philosophy. The features they added may not seem immediately impressive, but they are SMART features that make the software more usable. NI should take a few tips from Serato on the usability front. The fact that I couldn't get TSP2 to load my music collection from iTunes after messing with it for half an hour is laughable.

I think the improvements made to the beat grids and synch will ultimately set the stage for a lot of the more advanced features like The Bridge to be implemented. And Twitch looks pretty revolutionary. Unless you are scratching, jogwheels really arent necessary. And if scratching is that important to you, buy a DVS. MIDI controllers will never be taken seriously as a replacement for turntables, but they will be taken seriously by virtue of their ability to manipulate music in ways that would have been impossible before. The whole remixing-on-the-fly thing looks pretty awesome, and I don't see native instruments doing anything like this in Traktor.
haze324 3:31 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

ok since we are compairing this FIRST 2.0 video which is showing features coming but the word is NI did a better job comunicating ect --does anyone remember exactly what NI released ... not the craze video on the day of release but this :

Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

You do understand that was not a Scheduled video or announcement release. That was NI's way of saying we are showing you a glipse of what we are working on and IT WORKS in a real club envirornment, but profession DJ's.

Then afterwords they dropped the announcment.

Here in Itch - we get "coming soon for 2 years" come on man. Have you seen Itch 2.0 working? Cause NI did the same thing with the S4 and dubfire in a club, well before they did the official announcement. It's called proper marketing and managing customer expecations. Somethign that doesn't happen here.
zanzibar1 3:37 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

I can see where you are coming from, but can't agree with you 100%

WARNING RANT AHEAD:

I think all haters should post their best mix here so we can figure out how good of a DJ they are.

I mean if you really are a professional DJ, then you should be able to mix really well regardless of what gear/software you own. You shouldn't need video and the bridge to wow the crowd.

I hear so many people complain about the lack of bridge... sure some of those guys really need it and can create something with that.

But something tells me, most of the haters just want bells and whistles. All the reviews I have read say the Bridge is difficult to use and hard to understand, so it surprises me that so many people here are ready to die to use it!

I hope I haven't offended anyone who really know what they are talking about. This is aimed at the 5% of bullshit haters out there.
haze324 3:37 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
NI should take a few tips from Serato on the usability front.

The whole remixing-on-the-fly thing looks pretty awesome, and I don't see native instruments doing anything like this in Traktor.

While I agree that Itch library management is better than the current one TSP2 --- I can't name a single DJ in DJ Mags top 100 that uses Itch, but I can name tons that use TSP and the current library management.

Uhmm......you know the whole slicer thing is a sample effect from TP1 called beatslicer and then they added the loop recorder so you can remix on the fly and capture multiple loops/samples on a virtual deck.

Again, I think these are good additions to Itch ---- but please put things in perspective.
kraal 3:41 PM - 6 April, 2011
haze i see exactly what you are saying but still think traktor2 compairs more to ssl ... again i am on the whole 2 different type of programs for different dj needs
haze324 3:43 PM - 6 April, 2011
I agree with you man. I'm not arguing about the product or what it can do. I think the updates and the hardware available are pretty damn good.
djcerla 4:21 PM - 6 April, 2011
Wow haze,

The quality of your remarks has really collapsed lately: you say there are no top 100 DJ using ITCH while many use TSP. The right comparison was with SSL you know it very well, and many, many top 100 DJs use SSL. Not only this, but their number will increase quickly due to VideoSL and the recent explosion of interst in video (for example Benassi will start using it).

Poor.
seratosnatch 4:22 PM - 6 April, 2011
funny of how many are already bitching and nobody even has it yet.
DJDOUBLEA 4:23 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

thats what they're bitching about
zaguama 4:24 PM - 6 April, 2011
I see that comment a lot but i still dont understand though why TP is not competitor of ITCH? Traktor is SSL and ITCH integrated in one solution, aimed for controllers, DVS and open midi mapping?
J-Love 4:25 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

thats what they're bitching about

Ha!
zaguama 4:28 PM - 6 April, 2011
talking about competition, looks like the TTM57SL competition is out
www.djtechtools.com
kraal 4:29 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
I see that comment a lot but i still dont understand though why TP is not competitor of ITCH? Traktor is SSL and ITCH integrated in one solution, aimed for controllers, DVS and open midi mapping?

not saying not aq compettitor just as far as compairing goes you have to compair it to both :)
Cogito 4:30 PM - 6 April, 2011
ITCH 2 is a step in the right direction..
I chose Serato ITCH because of what it was currently capable of not of what it may become. Its impossible (foolish even) to predict something like that.. especially when Serato provides no information or guarantees for this.

People may feel cheated because they're having technical issues, yet others may feel that "Keeping up the the Jones'" so to speak in TP2, VDJ, etc. is the prerogative of any software company.

The main satisfaction level for ITCH is different because the hardware is so closely tied to Serato. People want to feel secure that their investment will be maintained. I don't think Serato is doing a good job of creating that feeling in their customers but this doesn't mean their products suck. I think they've created an amazing product and idea in ITCH. The customer relations just needs work.
kraal 4:31 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
www.djtechtools.com

yeah but it sure is expensive :)
Dj cuervo 4:33 PM - 6 April, 2011
itch is still the red head step child of Serato. After two year nothing major but the sampler player. NO live feed, Video, Bridge. I luv my vci 300 not because of the software but the small package. It would be so cool to do video wit it. Maybe 2013 since it is a two year cycle for any major release. :(
DJ Quartz 4:35 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
haze i see exactly what you are saying but still think traktor2 compairs more to ssl ... again i am on the whole 2 different type of programs for different dj needs

I will disagree with this IMMEDIATELY.

Traktor 2 is SSL & Itch combined into one standard platform PERIOD.

It can be used with DVS, and controllers, not to mention being fully MIDI mappable.

That is the comparison that is spawning the arguements.

The other problem is Traktor does not support Itch controllers with motorized platters. So that is the slight deficiency there.

However, any jog wheel or push button based controller can be easily supported in Traktor.

Hence why Twitch already comes with a template out of the box.

If NI decides to support motorized platters, what do you think is going to happen?

The playing field will be level and Itch 2 is nowhere to even been seen coming to the userbase anytime soon thus far.

If a user is not on SSL and has an Itch controller that Traktor supports, we know what's happening here.
dj5fifty 4:36 PM - 6 April, 2011
2015 i think for serato shit 2.2
zaguama 4:36 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.djtechtools.com

yeah but it sure is expensive :)

i foresee i hijack but here i go. You know how's Pioneer, you pay for what you get, you stamp that logo in there and you better be ready to drop some cash :p. A 4 channel mixer would have been killer though but most likely thats whats coming next.
DJ Quartz 4:37 PM - 6 April, 2011
They already have the certified 4-ch mixer for Traktor from Pioneer.
dj5fifty 4:39 PM - 6 April, 2011
word i luv serato itch 1.7.1 they should release the 2.0 in 2015 that woud be nice right dude
zaguama 4:39 PM - 6 April, 2011
oh yeah forgot about the nexus one.
DJ Quartz 4:42 PM - 6 April, 2011
As I said the playing field is quite level as we speak and if they support motorized platters.......

I'm not switching back because I want to standardize my setups between SSL and Itch but I already know for damn sure they don't listen there will be a ton people still bouncing.

This is NOT speculation, this is fact and I have emails to back it up. Not to mention people are STILL emailing me as we speak.
dj5fifty 4:43 PM - 6 April, 2011
i want serato itch to be #1 they are the best in the jungles of new zealand and up in the hills of bullshit
kraal 4:45 PM - 6 April, 2011
i say bring on motorized platter use with traktor. let people switch ... increase the djing community.
dj5fifty 4:45 PM - 6 April, 2011
serato has alot of itchy people be hind the software
zaguama 4:48 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
i say bring on motorized platter use with traktor. let people switch ... increase the djing community.

haha, NI has clearly demonstrated that its not gonna happen. its not in their interest, they dont care, not worth the investment of time in coding. I guess from this side of the fence we try to see that the NS7 and V7s are sold like hot cakes but in reality could be different and NI can see that, they make a shit load of money and if they have not done it could be for a reason. Fuck them!
J-Love 4:48 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quartz,
You were never able to get the platters working properly? I know you were close
DJ Quartz 4:50 PM - 6 April, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in the spirit of competition and all that.

However, I'm standing behind the standardization argument. I don't want to manage two software platforms.

I already have Traktor 2 but it's no use to me now. So I have it stored away.

Let's be real, I have people emailing me right now asking how to make the NS7 work with Traktor 2.

My response to everyone is that I put the project on hold because I wasn't getting any support. There is no point in wasting my time and energy on something I can't get support on.

@ J-Love

Yes I did but it was because I had an unreleased verison. That is what the secret was.

You CANNOT get the NS7 to work with a standard version of Traktor, you're wasting your time.

TRUST ME ON THIS!

That is WHY I want the Itch 2.0 beta. I want to learn it, master it, grow it and get on with my career.

Need I say more???
dj5fifty 4:52 PM - 6 April, 2011
i think itchy software needs to be re thought and remade. i think seratos wheels need a spin or two mate
DJ Quartz 4:53 PM - 6 April, 2011
I will say this, the positives were showing the capabilities of the NS7 with Traktor.

I learned A LOT about midi very fast during my feat.

It didn't cost me anything but time and brainpower. So for that I'm thankful.

However, it's time this expensive controller be allowed to be used in my workflow properly the way it was meant to be used.
Schuyler 4:53 PM - 6 April, 2011
Don't feed the trolls :D
J-Love 4:55 PM - 6 April, 2011
No, I trust you and was following your progress silently yet very close like a KGB spy. You probably had no idea there were times when I was just a stones throw away.

Sak Pase
dj5fifty 4:55 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

trolls you always talking about the your feeding your troll bro that aint nothing want poeple to know
dj5fifty 4:56 PM - 6 April, 2011
you
zaguama 4:56 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
I will say this, the positives were showing the capabilities of the NS7 with Traktor.

I learned A LOT about midi very fast during my feat.

It didn't cost me anything but time and brainpower. So for that I'm thankful.

However, it's time this expensive controller be allowed to be used in my workflow properly the way it was meant to be used.

i feel you bro 100%, and so the rest of the people that signed up on your facebook page and posted on the 50+ pages thread in the traktor forum. You did your best, I learned also from 0 how to midi map (i actually did the mapping for the NSFX video) with your help. Its a huge let down when a company doesnt pay attention to you and to this day i still dont understand why they never did, just theories.
Schuyler 4:56 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

trolls you always talking about the your feeding your troll bro that aint nothing want poeple to know

Lol.
DJ Quartz 4:58 PM - 6 April, 2011
I really don't know if people are just misunderstanding me or what.

All I want to do is replicate my SSL functionality with the NS7. That's it!

I can't do with SSL because it cannot support the hi-speed midi transfer from the NS7 and the platters.

Itch is now WAY closer to SSL minus Video-SL and Bridge which has been stated to be on the way.

But all I can do is watch it in a flipping video!

Feel me?
dj5fifty 4:58 PM - 6 April, 2011
i love serato itch software just hope its here in june july
kraal 5:00 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
I really don't know if people are just misunderstanding me or what.

All I want to do is replicate my SSL functionality with the NS7. That's it!

I can't do with SSL because it cannot support the hi-speed midi transfer from the NS7 and the platters.

Itch is now WAY closer to SSL minus Video-SL and Bridge which has been stated to be on the way.

But all I can do is watch it in a flipping video!

Feel me?

i do but i dont think it can happen over night for what ever reason.... for all we know itch code was so cluttered/wrong/botched that it needed this time to rewrtite
DJ Quartz 5:09 PM - 6 April, 2011
Here what Kraal,

I will say this even though people might think it's irresponsible as a DJ.

I constantly did my gigs with Traktor betas while testing to I could push the boundaries and report problems.

It never made sense for me to test just in the studio because I wouldn't extend what wanted to do because I'm a very real-time time of DJ.

I want to do things on the fly when spinning live vs recording a mix show in the studio.

It's a completely different mindset. Not to mention I'm an IT professional so me getting mad over a beta crashing is not the mindset I be would in.

I know it's buggy and incomplete and would have no one to blame but myself.

But I would make for damn sure, I gave Serato a full report with crash dumps, what I doing to replicate the crash, etc, etc, etc, etc....

I understand they had to revamp the whole Itch application. Let's go even deeper, maybe even Rane lightened up and said hey, why don't we unify this platform. It doesn't make sense to have two dissimilar products for the same userbase. We don't know the politics and never will anyway.

I don't want the beta only for myself, I want you ALL to be able to enjoy it. But the only medium I have is this forum other than emailing Serato themselves. I have already sent PM's to people but Musikmesse is on so who the heck is checking their email really right now.

I still have some fight in me, so I intend to use it. Just let me do what I need to do.
Cogito 5:27 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in the spirit of competition and all that.

However, I'm standing behind the standardization argument. I don't want to manage two software platforms.

I already have Traktor 2 but it's no use to me now. So I have it stored away.

Let's be real, I have people emailing me right now asking how to make the NS7 work with Traktor 2.

My response to everyone is that I put the project on hold because I wasn't getting any support. There is no point in wasting my time and energy on something I can't get support on.

@ J-Love

Yes I did but it was because I had an unreleased verison. That is what the secret was.

You CANNOT get the NS7 to work with a standard version of Traktor, you're wasting your time.

TRUST ME ON THIS!

That is WHY I want the Itch 2.0 beta. I want to learn it, master it, grow it and get on with my career.

Need I say more???

If its support you need, you got it. I've seen that there are many efforts to get NS7 and V7 on other platforms (Torq2,Tracktor, etc). If you wanna push the boundaries you've got yourself a volunteer.
kraal 5:35 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

I don't want the beta only for myself, I want you ALL to be able to enjoy it. But the only medium I have is this forum other than emailing Serato themselves. I have already sent PM's to people but Musikmesse is on so who the heck is checking their email really right now.

I still have some fight in me, so I intend to use it. Just let me do what I need to do.

which is fine but there are better channels to address wanting to beta cause screaming and ranting on forums does not look good... so possibly seeing that would make them not want to use you ? try just sending a private email and discussing what you can do for them there? just a thought
soundbiter 5:38 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

which is fine but there are better channels to address wanting to beta cause screaming and ranting on forums does not look good... so possibly seeing that would make them not want to use you ? try just sending a private email and discussing what you can do for them there? just a thought

If Serato rarely responds or listen to user discussions on their own forums, what makes you think they are paying attention/this would affect anything?

Why are you so driven to defend this lazy company?
Sureshot (PA) 5:45 PM - 6 April, 2011
i wish all you complainers would stop making empty threats and just switch over to Traktor already. your bogging down the bandwidth of this board with foolishness. you don't like what the software is? buy something else.
DJ dVO 5:49 PM - 6 April, 2011
Aah darn, I am sticking with 1.7.1 for a long time.

Okay on album art.
Okay on SP-6 samplers.
Okay on improved beatgrid and sync.

BIG NO for new GUI
BIGGER NO for day/night GUI
BIGGER BIGGER NO to making me to use the mouse more.

I left SSL for the lack of controllers not to be lured back by the imitated GUI.

I am disappointed....oh well.
dj5fifty 5:50 PM - 6 April, 2011
you are right sure shock i am with you serato itchy i the best
DJ Quartz 5:51 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

Who's screaming and yelling, the comments made were in a comical fashion. I've already talked to dev's directly and other employees at Serato.

They already know I'm not a hothead for no reason and I have a sense of humor.
dj5fifty 5:57 PM - 6 April, 2011
itch is like a bag full of assholes
DJ Cs 6:07 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
I chose Serato ITCH because of what it was currently capable of not of what it may become. Its impossible (foolish even) to predict something like that.. especially when Serato provides no information or guarantees for this.

People may feel cheated because they're having technical issues, yet others may feel that "Keeping up the the Jones'" so to speak in TP2, VDJ, etc. is the prerogative of any software company.

The main satisfaction level for ITCH is different because the hardware is so closely tied to Serato. People want to feel secure that their investment will be maintained. I don't think Serato is doing a good job of creating that feeling in their customers but this doesn't mean their products suck. I think they've created an amazing product and idea in ITCH. The customer relations just needs work.

How did you CHOOSE itch? You chose a controller. If you just randomly chose a controller just to get ITCH then I get your point, otherwise ITCH just happened to come with your controller.

Quote:
i wish all you complainers would stop making empty threats and just switch over to Traktor already. your bogging down the bandwidth of this board with foolishness. you don't like what the software is? buy something else.

Well I guess anyone not exactly jumping up and down after the whole wait....wait...their going to come out with something great.....wait...wait cycle better tone it down or We're going to get locked out.

........Wait a minute he can't lock us out...hmmm sounds like someone wants to be a SERATO PR person, but is just giving out an opinion just like the rest.
J-Love 6:11 PM - 6 April, 2011
I hate to be the bearer of bad news.. but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there are no bandwidth issues because people are disappointed.
kraal 6:27 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

How did you CHOOSE itch? You chose a controller. If you just randomly chose a controller just to get ITCH then I get your point, otherwise ITCH just happened to come with your controller.

i choose itch and my vci-300 ... a conscience and researched decision
DJ Cs 6:29 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Can the VCI-300 be used with other software? I'm sure it can with VDJ but any other major DJ software?

Cogito 6:30 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

ITCH and its hardware are tightly coupled... so considering both together only makes sense right? I chose ITCH in the sense that what was offered in both the hardware and software fit my needs. Clearer now?

It would be a bad decision to choose just based on the hardware alone. Wouldn't you agree? Although I have to say, motorized platters was a serious selling point for me.
kraal 6:33 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Can the VCI-300 be used with other software? I'm sure it can with VDJ but any other major DJ software?

what exactly are you getting at? maybe i am missing the point so my responces might be wrong. I personally dont care if my vci-300 can be used with other software i purchased it with itch cause thats what i wanted . if i wanted traktor i would of got the vci-100 with the techtools firmware ....
DJ Cs 6:41 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

ITCH and its hardware are tightly coupled... so considering both together only makes sense right? I chose ITCH in the sense that what was offered in both the hardware and software fit my needs. Clearer now?

It would be a bad decision to choose just based on the hardware alone. Wouldn't you agree? Although I have to say, motorized platters was a serious selling point for me.

Clearer.

I was more attracted to the NUMARK controllers and that was the major decision. I researched all I could on the NS7 and read that it came with a SERATO product called ITCH. I had no idea what it was and looked at some of it's features (very bare bones). However, I was very familiar with SSL coming from the Turntable and mixer die-hard crowd and thought it would be just as good.

Also, Numark marketed the NS7 as being a midi controller able to be used with other DJ software (which turned out not to be the truth-at the time).

Either way Itch worked incredibly well.....until it didn't. Freezes, stuttering, etc. I brought a Macbook after getting on the Forums here to ask about the issues and It largely solved the problems.

Now...on to the future, I've made money with my controller but longed for the day for stable software that could give me options of what I was used to (SSL and Torq), hence my saying I did not buy ITCH. I could care less about ITCH and would divorce myself from it if the competition worked competently with my controller.

ITCH has been a definite adventure.
DJ Cs 6:48 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what exactly are you getting at? maybe i am missing the point so my responces might be wrong. I personally dont care if my vci-300 can be used with other software i purchased it with itch cause thats what i wanted . if i wanted traktor i would of got the vci-100 with the techtools firmware ....

Not getting at anything...only to say ITCH was pretty new but many of us were familiar with SSL and it's reputation and many of us overwhelmingly picked the controller with the features we wanted. ITCH allowed many of those features, but didn't offer the same features across the board. The hardware opened up more advanced features in ITCH on some controllers and not on others. This is understandable but it was a world of difference if you were coming from the Turntable/DVS market, where the software was by and large the same across the hardware spectrum.

All I'm saying is some were taken in by the NUMARK marketing of the ability to use other software with their incredible controller. It was a let down only in terms of software capability which is slooowly being phased in.

You tend to hear more people love the VCI controllers vs the software it came with.
kraal 6:50 PM - 6 April, 2011
thing is when i first heard of itch i asked djtechtools and ean was the one who said it's a close format and i beleive he had an article about that very issue too.. oh well that is the past
DJ Cs 7:23 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
thing is when i first heard of itch i asked djtechtools and ean was the one who said it's a close format and i beleive he had an article about that very issue too.. oh well that is the past

Yeah, I read up on ITCH all I could, probably that article as well, but it was so new they were saying you really can't compare it to SSL or any DVS but it would definitely be there.

Well about 2 1/2 years later .....hmmmm we have SOME DVS features that were out some time ago.

Not ragging on ITCH, just saying ITCH was more the afterthought than the selling point to me.

Almost equivalent to buying a porsche that has partnered with Mercedes to make the engine. You somewhat know the reputation of both and think, "i've very familiar with Mercedes engines, and this Porsche model is incredible".
Porsche says this model has the option to have the Ferrari and Lotus engines.
However, you later find out Porsche has not provided any specs or any connectors for their engines. Porsche then tell you to not compare the current engine to ANY other Mercedes engines...it's too new.

Well, you have this incredible porsche that has ALL the latest technology, cornering, anti-rollover, stability package and speed capabilities up to 200 MPH.

All true, but you later find out it will only do 100+ MPH with third party add-ons such a longer gas pedal and a add on spoiler.

It doesn't matter that other engines could do 100+ MPH years ago, It doesn't matter that Porsche (3 months later) ships a model with a longer pedal and 2 months further adds on three other models that can do 180 + out of the box ( WITH THE SAME ENGINE).

carried this on a bit too far but don't have porsche customers waiting for upgrades for 2+ years and then tell them the feature you're adding is a larger porsche emblem and a horn.
Dj Ace 7:52 PM - 6 April, 2011
wooo so many let down customers...well the plus is itch now seem to have a plugin design similar to SSL and they did not release info on it till they were sure of the final feature set. There goal (stated a namm) was to close the gap between SSL an Itch since itch had a completely different design. In the beginning they never planned to have the SAME feature set as Scratchlive. There were and are two different products. Also SSL just got most of the features that itch has last year (- video). I can NOW see itch is going to catch up with SSL first and is off to a good start. I know they wish they could have released this last year but obviously they were not ready to. The future looks good since they have taken the right approach in IMO. may a few teasers at namm would have have help nip this in the bud? Hard to say but if SSL's history is any indication The bridge, or video will be available soon... Plus they have figure out a dope way to control loops already with the twitch and could port that to other versions of SSL and Itch hopefully?
Dj Ace 7:54 PM - 6 April, 2011
also a loop sampler, and the bridge, and four deck mixing really depend on EASY and ACCURATE beat grids which have been adressed
Dj Ace 7:54 PM - 6 April, 2011
i meant beat synced sampler...
haze324 7:58 PM - 6 April, 2011
i thought someone said there is no Sync on the SP-6 samples.
soundbiter 8:04 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

There is no sync, confirmed.
Maskrider 8:08 PM - 6 April, 2011
The GUI was a big Ok coz peeps from SSL that Switched wanted that but Video and Better FX would hit everybody's expectation.

I have both SSL and ITCH but chose to go with ITCH on my gigs for portability reasons.

If that will be the case why not let my Serato box work with ITCH to play Videos and have better FX....I know it sounds silly but this is getting frustrating. I still love Serato and just hope that If we need to pay for Upgrades just let us know instead of waiting a lifetime for free upgrades.
haze324 8:14 PM - 6 April, 2011
QUESTION FOR SERATO:

Honest question. Did you guys expect such a big backlash from users on the 2.0 release. As this was getting prepared for today's announcement is there a plan to address the concerns of your users?

I'm sure guys have worked hard on this update - but you can't consider this reaction a win. or do you?
DJ Sergio B 8:30 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

yeah but in that preview video - as they're expanding each cell - it does have a "Master" button near the tempo of the sample - so maybe not a "sync" per say....

I don't know. I've been looking into other options all day....makes me sad - because I love my NS7 - I'm not sure I'd part with it.
dj5fifty 9:15 PM - 6 April, 2011
i think itch bombed
Dj jochi 10:06 PM - 6 April, 2011
I'm thinking about selling my NS7. There is nothing impressive on Itch 2.0
kraal 10:17 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
I'm thinking about selling my NS7. There is nothing impressive on Itch 2.0

was there anything impressive about your ns7 before 2.0?
Dj jochi 10:21 PM - 6 April, 2011
My opinion is nothing impressive! Plus they waiting to long to release it.
haze324 10:24 PM - 6 April, 2011
I think this release is really more geared for guys with the NS7. Aside from the Video portion. I think it's the guys with the DX that got hosed. So they got a sampler --- well they already had 4 decks for that style of play so the sampler I would see it as much of an improvement as the guys with the NS7.
kraal 10:32 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
I think this release is really more geared for guys with the NS7. Aside from the Video portion. I think it's the guys with the DX that got hosed. So they got a sampler --- well they already had 4 decks for that style of play so the sampler I would see it as much of an improvement as the guys with the NS7.

four decks plus a sample -- come on you know ns7 users would kill for that :)
DJ Sergio B 10:46 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

hes right tho..the way we will use the sampler - Xone users already can do - if itch was already midi mappable - that would really make the sp-6 pointless to 4 deck itch owners - to be able to route the cue points to pads - cuz those buttons are HARD to cue point juggle with.
djbagz 11:12 AM - 7 April, 2011
love my v7...but itch 2.0 = fail.....
djcerla 12:05 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
love my v7...but itch 2.0 = fail.....

have you tried it?
BadBoyChubs 12:17 PM - 7 April, 2011
how can something fail without being tested, Alot of DJs wanted Itch to look like SSL now they got it and they vex, We all know they made it like SSL jus so they can use the same features as SSL like the bridge & Video which will make the merger a lil bit more easier on them!

who knows maybe 2.0 is more rock solid than 1.5 and we all know 1.5 is the most stable version Itch even though 1.7.1 is stable for me now after some tweaking and upgrading!!
djbagz 1:02 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
have you tried it?

Going to Vegas for the weeknd witt out a big nite out = Fail (aint been to Vegas yet)

I Guess you cant knock it till you try it....
But come on mannn are you people so blind.......If 100s of 100s of people are asking for change or improvements you dont have to be a genius to do the math....

Im all for itch..but they need to start to listen to there customers...its watt makes a successfully business............
DJ GaFFle 2:58 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I thought someone said there is no Sync on the SP-6 samples.

Sync on samples !?!?!? What happened to the art of DJ'ing? Next, someone will be asking for auto-scratch feature...

I'm happy to see iTch 2.0 look more like SSL in functionality, features and appearance but it's very disappointing to know I've got to plod through the spring, summer AND fall on this ver. 1.7.1. I wish the developers would make a ver. 1.7.2 correcting the current excessive CPU and USB dropout issues on 1.7.1. Just remove the beatgrid and maybe the current problems will go away (gotta keep the song key-value feature).
haze324 3:07 PM - 7 April, 2011

Sync on samples !?!?!? What happened to the art of DJ'ing? Next, someone will be asking for auto-scratch feature...

It's very useful if you have 3-4 running loops. Imagine continuing to knudge four platters on running loops PLUS the two decks you are playing. I'd assume that's not easy task either with a keyboard. For that style of playing (minimal, tech house, etc.) the ability to sync multiple samples would be a huge benefit.

For the rest or other types of sample drops --- I agree. No sync required.
djcerla 3:12 PM - 7 April, 2011
actually, SYNC on samples is killer and MUST be in!
DJ GaFFle 3:14 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

It's very useful if you have 3-4 running loops. Imagine continuing to knudge four platters on running loops PLUS the two decks you are playing. I'd assume that's not easy task either with a keyboard. For that style of playing (minimal, tech house, etc.) the ability to sync multiple samples would be a huge benefit.

For the rest or other types of sample drops --- I agree. No sync required.

Okay, I get'cha. For the House/Techno/EDM music types, it would most likely be useful. I'm just not the one to run layers of music and extra song complexity for the genres I play.
DJ Quartz 3:17 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
I'm happy to see iTch 2.0 look more like SSL in functionality, features and appearance but it's very disappointing to know I've got to plod through the spring, summer AND fall on this ver. 1.7.1. I wish the developers would make a ver. 1.7.2 correcting the current excessive CPU and USB dropout issues on 1.7.1. Just remove the beatgrid and maybe the current problems will go away (gotta keep the song key-value feature).

Don't be too disappointed, I think we will have a beta to use well before that. It's just the 'official' release date for the retail build will be Q3.
Cogito 3:38 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:

Auto-Scratch... DONE: www.algoriddim.com

:D
DJ Quartz 3:44 PM - 7 April, 2011
Frig all that noise, if you want to scratch, sample drop, beat match manually....

Do just that.
Red Rocks 8:06 PM - 10 April, 2011
Just putting my 2 cents in, BEATGRID IS STUPID!!
Kmxorbit 8:19 PM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:

Yes and no.
I don't like the sync way of working, especially for authentic way of Dj'ing. (there is nothing above manual feel)
On the other hand, the beatgrid is a bless for certain new ways of spinning, fx syncing and live remixing.
It's the way you look at it and want to work with it.
elsupermang 3:30 AM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Yes and no.
I don't like the sync way of working, especially for authentic way of Dj'ing. (there is nothing above manual feel)
On the other hand, the beatgrid is a bless for certain new ways of spinning, fx syncing and live remixing.
It's the way you look at it and want to work with it.

One thing I do like about beatgrid is that it shows you what bar you are on, for house djs this makes life a lil easier by not having to count 32 beats (if you mix this way). To me however this was not big enough a benefit for me to enable the beatgrid functions.
Serato
Brigid 4:28 AM - 11 April, 2011
Just because we don't reply all the time, doesn't mean we don't read the stuff you guys write on here. So keep the feedback coming.
seratosnatch 9:14 AM - 11 April, 2011
Think there should be sync for the SP-6 as an option.
Loops , etc. should be syncable.
DJFLUKE 9:43 AM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
Just because we don't reply all the time, doesn't mean we don't read the stuff you guys write on here. So keep the feedback coming.

I would like to see time remaining and elapsed at the same time, its useful for me during mobile shows.
skratchworx 11:55 AM - 11 April, 2011
It really helps Serato when you keep shouting "are we there yet?" in endless bitching posts. Believe me, they've listened, got the message and will be delivering a new ITCH that you will be happy with. You now just need them to get on with it.

If you were paying for it, I can understand why you're impatient. But you don't. And they never promised a thing in terms of extra functionality when you bought your ITCH gear. Indeed it was sold under a strict 1 to 1 mapping, so you shouldn't really expect more from your gear.

The alpha is around and the beta I suspect is not far behind. Good things come to those who wait. Just be patient, or switch to a competitive product.
blackavenger 12:23 PM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
Think there should be sync for the SP-6 as an option.
Loops , etc. should be syncable.

+1
DJ Quartz 1:04 PM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
If you were paying for it, I can understand why you're impatient. But you don't.

I already proved in another thread that people will gladly pay for the update.
kraal 1:06 PM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

If you were paying for it, I can understand why you're impatient. But you don't.

I already proved in another thread that people will gladly pay for the update.

i think the majority of people will not....
DJdaveZ 1:13 PM - 11 April, 2011
whether we will or will not... thats not in question. the updates will be free. they've said that since the beginning. point is... nothing will boost their speed short of whips and a large drum. and someone screaming GO, GO, GO, GO to the beat of said large drum.
DJ Cs 2:06 PM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:

I agree with "It's according to the way you mix". If you play alot of old Motown, any of the Prince tracks, or really most of the older tracks with a live drummer, this can really save you from constantly have to adjust the track all the way through the song.

Instead of having to do that constantly, you can get on with your mix, FX, Cueing, scratching, etc.

I can do that much more effectively by warping a track in Ableton.

Right now, it's a mixed blessing. If you reanalyze all your tracks, it works fairly well. However, in it's current implementation it's not worth going to 1.7 JUST for that feature.

Serato, Please DO NOT remove Beat Gridding, but improve upon it.
DJdaveZ 3:45 PM - 11 April, 2011
it has been stated that beat grid is new and improved in 2.0...... we all know it sucks as is...
DJ Cs 12:11 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
it has been stated that beat grid is new and improved in 2.0...... we all know it sucks as is...

Looking forward to it.
sl1pm4t 8:34 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:

I don't know that.

Quote:
It really helps Serato when you keep shouting "are we there yet?" in endless bitching posts. Believe me, they've listened, got the message and will be delivering a new ITCH that you will be happy with. You now just need them to get on with it.

If you were paying for it, I can understand why you're impatient. But you don't. And they never promised a thing in terms of extra functionality when you bought your ITCH gear. Indeed it was sold under a strict 1 to 1 mapping, so you shouldn't really expect more from your gear.

The alpha is around and the beta I suspect is not far behind. Good things come to those who wait. Just be patient, or switch to a competitive product.

somebody get this man a beer.
djcerla 8:51 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:

Actually the current system doesn't suck "per se" (it has an edge over Traktor's), but the way you interact with it (read: the SYNC) is far from perfect (i.e. quantization). Serato is probably working to improve this rather than the underlying beatgrids.
nik39 11:11 AM - 12 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Actually the current system doesn't suck "per se" (it has an edge over Traktor's), but the way you interact with it (read: the SYNC) is far from perfect (i.e. quantization). Serato is probably working to improve this rather than the underlying beatgrids.

Word. I can't remember reading anywhere that the beatgrids will be changed.
DJ GaFFle 11:10 AM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:

Thanx Brigrid... please remove Beatgrid. :-P
DJ Cs 3:31 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Thanx Brigrid... please remove Beatgrid. :-P

No, don't remove it, just improve it.
fryer_Funk45 6:21 PM - 18 April, 2011
I'm very happy with Itch i use it twice a week and its solid as a rock which is the priority. The main problem found was navigating tracks by name can get tiring on the eyes during long sets (specially after a few shandies). While all the latest bells and whistles are nice as a working dj i need stability, good navigation/layout with great audio quality, itch does this for me, the continued free updates are a bonus and i really look forward to 2.0 beta. People expect to much and forget to appreciate what they have. Itch is like a technics deck for me, it just works..
destrado 3:48 AM - 20 April, 2011
If you wanted video editing, the ability to run ableton, a sampler, four decks, full midi mapping, and 100 other features that Itch didn't have when it launched, why didn't you simply buy Traktor or one of the other competing products that offered these improvements that everyone so desperately NEEDS. Itch is about a 1 to 1 integration with a controller and a streamlined and user-friendly interface. I've used Torq, Scratch Live and Traktor and I really enjoy the elegance of Itch with my V7s. The software is essentially free; there isn't an expensive and exclusive piece of hardware to subsidize rapid development of radical software changes. With the rebate I got two V7's for less than the cost of Traktor Pro. If you really feel like you need 100 different effects, video editing, and everything else go spend $2000 dollars on a DJM2000, another $3000 for CDJ2000's, and another 3 grand on Traktor with a Mac Book Pro. While you're whining I'll be destroying dancefloors with the confidence and efficiency of an experienced dj, a simple and effective piece of software, and a two channel mixer.
haze324 3:57 AM - 20 April, 2011
that set up would cost the same using SSL.

..and SSL supports video, Traktor doesn't.

Also, 3g's for a Macbook and TSP is a tad exaggerated.
destrado 4:09 AM - 20 April, 2011
You couldn't get two turntables or Cdjs and SSl for the same price. But fair enough, even if I exaggerated by a couple of thousand dollars, it's still a much more expensive endeavor. Also heavier, I reached a point where I couldn't bear carrying around two 1200s, a four channel mixer, and a 50 pound coffin anymore. It was like lugging a dead body with me to every gig.
blackavenger 5:39 AM - 20 April, 2011
Quote:

Really? I just spent $2,600 on my latest Mac!

Not unrealistic at all!
haze324 11:43 AM - 20 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Really? I just spent $2,600 on my latest Mac!

Not unrealistic at all!

and I just spent 1500.00 on a new mac + 500 on TSP = 2000.00

I could do alot with the extra 1000 dollars.

My point is there is no NEED or REQUIRMENT to spend 3000.00 for SSL, TSP, Itch, etc. to work.
blackavenger 12:14 PM - 20 April, 2011
Quote:
My point is there is no NEED or REQUIRMENT to spend 3000.00 for SSL, TSP, Itch, etc. to work.

Well of course! You didn't post that you would "only" be using it for DJing.
DjChino3 4:24 PM - 14 May, 2011
I personally am disappointed in how long itch 2.0 has taken that I believe i've been pushed to the traktor side. I love my NS7, but the features in the Pioneer DDJ-T1 + Traktor combo are too good to pass up. All I really wanted was a good sampler & more FX rather than the mediocre FX given in Itch. It's almost been 2 years i've had the NS7 and i'm frankly tired of playing the waiting game.
djcerla 4:44 PM - 14 May, 2011
Quote:
I personally am disappointed in how long itch 2.0 has taken that I believe i've been pushed to the traktor side. I love my NS7, but the features in the Pioneer DDJ-T1 + Traktor combo are too good to pass up. All I really wanted was a good sampler & more FX rather than the mediocre FX given in Itch. It's almost been 2 years i've had the NS7 and i'm frankly tired of playing the waiting game.

Do it, go and "taste" the S1 :-D
djcerla 4:45 PM - 14 May, 2011
... pardon, the T1! :-D
kraal 4:53 PM - 14 May, 2011
Quote:

good idea i actually own traktor pro 2 also.... now you can have both
haze324 6:00 PM - 14 May, 2011
Kraal are there any mappings floating around for traktor and the S1? Wonder if its the same midi messages as the T1 or if the firmware is different to support Itch. Also wonder that about the NS6. Would be neat to have one piece of kit to use equally well with both.
Satsun 6:31 PM - 14 May, 2011
Quote:
Kraal are there any mappings floating around for traktor and the S1? Wonder if its the same midi messages as the T1 or if the firmware is different to support Itch. Also wonder that about the NS6. Would be neat to have one piece of kit to use equally well with both.

I asked Numark about a Traktor mapping for the NS6. They said they'd be releasing a .tsi file at launch. Everything should be fully mapped.
haze324 7:01 PM - 14 May, 2011
yeah I heard that as well. The way the knobs for the effects are on the NS6 may not be too useful. Gotta dig up some NSFX mappings for traktor and see how they work. I'm a bit more curious about the S1 since the T1 is mapped to traktor.

thanks.
kraal 7:51 PM - 14 May, 2011
Quote:

as of right now i have no time for traktor pro mapping but have been told the s1 is floating around..... as things slow down for mw i will be updating my youtube channel with me findinngs ect
seratosnatch 6:50 AM - 15 May, 2011
I have been kind of forced to jump on the Traktor too due to technical problems with Itch in professional settings. At home it is ok, but in the club I have had some very stressful moments. Hopefully 2.0 brings me back.
[O/][iii][O/] 7:23 PM - 28 June, 2011
Quote:

ALBUM ART??! This is 1 of the 8 most notable features...they clearly realize they don't have much to show us...

This is HUGE IMO. A missing critical feature that has kept us away from Itch for years. Ever since SL received browsable artwork it's been a Godsend. Can not wait til Itch gets this. This current Itch GUI is horrendous.
skratchworx 7:39 PM - 28 June, 2011
Never understood why this is such a key feature. I know tracks by name, and on a small laptop, artwork is space I could use for something else.
zanzibar1 7:50 PM - 28 June, 2011
^ +1
Papa Midnight 9:29 PM - 28 June, 2011
Quote:
Never understood why this is such a key feature. I know tracks by name, and on a small laptop, artwork is space I could use for something else.

+1 on this. Screen Real-Estate is valuable and could be better used elsewhere in my opinion.
blackavenger 9:32 PM - 28 June, 2011
Quote:

Totally agree.

When I spun vinyl.....sure, Album Artwork was important. But ever since I took up DVS DJing, I learned to remember the Track Names & Artists, and have never used browsable Artwork on ScratchLIVE, and I know for certain that I won't use it on ITCH either. It's a gimmick feature for newbs!
djbagz 9:52 PM - 28 June, 2011
im consider my self a newb and ive never used the artwork ft...lol come on serato
Kmxorbit 10:04 PM - 28 June, 2011
since i use a DVS i finally start to remember songs by titles and names instead of artwork only. So for me, artwork on a DVS is just a gimmick.
DJ Sergio B 11:28 PM - 28 June, 2011
Not to djs who were in the game before dvs or have been spinning before dvs and have yet to jump
over. I had it explained to me like this (by a couple of djs I see and work with a lot)

When it was just vinyl - they didn't get to keep their crates in the neat order they may have started the week with - so in the dark - while flipping thru a crate - all you saw was the artwork...and that's what you used to locate the record you were looking for..because not all record had their names on them as clear as day.....and you didn't want to mess up the front artwork with tape and writing so - artwork it was..

It would be like doing the reverse to those of us who are use to dvs and a search bar...imagine if all our music lost its names but all had the cover of the album it was from. Yikes.

Keeps the old heads from adopting any sort of dvs or dcs.

But I hear you guys....it isn't an important feature for myself either.
Dj Ace 12:19 AM - 29 June, 2011
I am 'pretty' sure that feature alone is not what holding up 2.0....they are pretty much redoing the the software from the ground up to be more like scratchlive and introducing a few features at a time to eliminate nasty bugs associated with a redesign. Then after they are sure those features work well then it will be downhill for more complex plugins
'
[O/][iii][O/] 12:30 AM - 29 June, 2011
Speaking for myself and many other older DJs I know, artwork is essential. Not going to go into all the reasons again as it's been covered to death here on this forum in other threads for years (hence why we finally now have it), but that's the beauty of SL. If you need it great, it's there, turn it on and select how you want to see your music. If you only want text, that's great too because you can turn all the artwork off. All I'm saying is now that Itch is starting to mature and adopt features currently only found in SL we will begin using it. As it is now, the lack of browsable artwork has been deal-breaker for using Itch for anything other than plinking around with as a toy.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:37 AM - 29 June, 2011
This my friends is a beautiful thing >>> farm5.static.flickr.com

No more squinting at text like a phonebook. Glance at screen, instantly recognize your music, select and go! Just like 20 some odd years of flipping through vinyl crates. BONUS: Keyword search on TOP of browsable artwork = best of both worlds.
WarpNote 6:39 AM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

ALBUM ART??! This is 1 of the 8 most notable features...they clearly realize they don't have much to show us...

This is HUGE IMO. A missing critical feature that has kept us away from Itch for years. Ever since SL received browsable artwork it's been a Godsend. Can not wait til Itch gets this. This current Itch GUI is horrendous.

Quote:

blackavenger & Gizmo (skratchworx), Artwork is VERY important, remember there are people out there with dyslexia. Got a slight case of it myself. These people develop visual memory. I have to say, the hardest part of converting to SSL for me was the lack of artwork browsing. Me and others kept nagging the feature request forum for years. Guess what, it payed off.
You might call me a newb, but Im 40 yrs, and started in the 90s...

The smart crates are important too, saves a lot of time when playing out.

Ive been a SSL user for quite a few years (diehard technics), got SL1, SL4, Sixty Eight, no Itch device yet. But I got to say, if the new beatgrids deliver, I'll probably get Novation Twitch or Numark NS6 (V6?) for lighter gigs.
skratchworx 11:26 AM - 29 June, 2011
Warpnote - I stand corrected. I'm just happy that I can turn it off.
elsupermang 11:30 AM - 29 June, 2011
Im just hoping you can do a 2 deck view on 4 channel controllers.
WarpNote 11:36 AM - 29 June, 2011
If its anything like SSL 2, I'm guessing you could, or at least a collapsed view...

skratchworx, yeah thats the great thing about all the features in SSL:
SP6, Artwork, FX, VSL, Bridge, just turn it of if you dont need it, and lighten cpu load & memory print.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:56 PM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:

We all define what is necessary differently. I should take another screen capture of my SL GUI next time I fire it up. You'd laugh.

Waveforms: OFF
SP6: OFF
Effects: OFF
Crates: Fully Minimized
Artwork: Fully Maximized

Practically the whole screen is artwork because rally all I need to see is the artwork (just like real vinyl). Many time I place my laptop down below by my record crates, nowhere near the decks/mixer. People have no idea I'm even using a DVS along with regular vinyl. Pick a record or a digital track and go to work :-)
blackavenger 7:01 PM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
Artwork is VERY important, remember there are people out there with dyslexia. Got a slight case of it myself. These people develop visual memory.

I never even considered dyslexia as a reason for needing Artwork. That actually makes sense. I too stand corrected.
kaveets24 7:47 PM - 29 June, 2011
Here's an idea. Get rid of itch and make Scratch Live compatible the itch designed controllers.
kraal 8:48 PM - 29 June, 2011
Quote:
Here's an idea. Get rid of itch and make Scratch Live compatible the itch designed controllers.

run the risk of having a really buggy program --
Mix Master Marc 11:16 PM - 29 June, 2011
My girl just bought an S4 for about 900 bucks. Honestly i think it's garbage. i used it for a few days, and it feels like a tonka toy. Feels like it's made cheaply buttons suck jogs suck etc.

I've used SSL, Traktor, VDJ, Itch. SSL is still my fav. With my 1 V7 i paid 300 for i feel i can do way more on it then on that 900 dollar S4. Can't scratch on the S4, it weighs like 1lb made of all plastic, can't beat juggle, library browsing sucks, buttons feel cheap, jogs suck, idk i don't think it's worth 900 dollars.

I'm not trying to sound fanboyish, but itch is fine for what i need it for now. 4 decks would be nice for myself. Most people crying about 4 decks can barley mix on 2 decks. I met a guy doing an opening set for me, using that other popular controller and software i can't even remember the name, but he' was trying to mix 4 decks at once only been mixing a year. That is not the way to learn imo.

Remember when all you had was 2 turntables and a mixer? Remember all the killer sets bad boy bill, mix master mike, PVD, jazzy jeff, and the like used to do. Ok so BBB used 4 tables, but my point is. For some DJs like myself itch is ok for now, fine with the upgrade and hopefully once they integrated the bridge which is suppose to be in 2011 it will be more of a complete package.

keep on keeping on Serato
Tocayo 11:34 PM - 29 June, 2011
For me personaly, I'm more than happy with ITCH as it stands. My system is stable and it does what it say's on the tin.

I am not interested in all the fancy bells and whistles that people are looking for, I just want it to play my music without any problems when I'm gigging, jeez I would be happy if it didn't even have a sync button or bpm reading and it let me actually work more, even at that it would still be just as easy to to look at the waveforms to match lol.
I can understand peoples view with regards to no video, but it doesn't bother me (sure I'm probably the only idiot that thinks this way though) lol.
Tocayo 11:35 PM - 29 June, 2011
Meant to say, I'm using the V7's :)
kaveets24 12:06 AM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:
For me personaly, I'm more than happy with ITCH as it stands. My system is stable and it does what it say's on the tin.

I am not interested in all the fancy bells and whistles that people are looking for, I just want it to play my music without any problems when I'm gigging, jeez I would be happy if it didn't even have a sync button or bpm reading and it let me actually work more, even at that it would still be just as easy to to look at the waveforms to match lol.
I can understand peoples view with regards to no video, but it doesn't bother me (sure I'm probably the only idiot that thinks this way though) lol.

I wish the V7's had the functionality of being able to beat match with out showing the bpm change but it's not really possible because moving the pitch adjuster can very often vary. Sometimes small movements are a huge change to the BPM. Not the same as a CDJ or Turntable because it's all software controlled. But I also agree SSL would be buggy for other users not using itch products. But at least make a separate version that's basically the same. Gives us all the advanced features of SSL.
revancheX 3:56 AM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:

The chance of this happening is literally zero. Think of someone crushing someone's else's sensitive anatomy in a vise, with RANE wielding the vise and Serato possessing the sensitive anatomy.
Papa Midnight 3:59 AM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:

I would hope not
[O/][iii][O/] 4:07 AM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

The chance of this happening is literally zero. Think of someone crushing someone's else's sensitive anatomy in a vise, with RANE wielding the vise and Serato possessing the sensitive anatomy.

Don't understand this logic at all. Please explain.
revancheX 4:13 AM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:

No more squinting at text like a phonebook. Glance at screen, instantly recognize your music, select and go! Just like 20 some odd years of flipping through vinyl crates. BONUS: Keyword search on TOP of browsable artwork = best of both worlds.

I've not once seen a local DJ run SL in this configuration, but I would totally use that.

Quote:

RANE has exclusive access to the SL hardware market. If you don't have a RANE gadget somewhere in your pipeline, you don't get to use SL. Do you think Serato can unilaterally change this arrangement even if it were the slightest bit interested? (And I'm not exactly sure how they WOULD be even the slightest bit interested).
revancheX 4:17 AM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:
RANE has exclusive access to the SL hardware market. If you don't have a RANE gadget somewhere in your pipeline, you don't get to use SL. Do you think Serato can unilaterally change this arrangement even if it were the slightest bit interested? (And I'm not exactly sure how they WOULD be even the slightest bit interested).

Though I do have to qualify this somewhat--there is coming support for various hardware gadgets as direct control surfaces, including the NS7. I've not heard much about this in recent months. I think you still have to have a RANE product somewhere in the chain, though. Right?
revancheX 4:21 AM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:

Hater haterz in dis house. If you see em point em out.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:56 PM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I've not once seen a local DJ run SL in this configuration, but I would totally use that.

Quote:

Right, I get that part, just don't understand why Rane doesn't introduce an SL and/or Itch controller.
Papa Midnight 11:55 PM - 30 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Right, I get that part, just don't understand why Rane doesn't introduce an SL and/or Itch controller.

You must not hang around the general "DJing Discussion" forum very much where most of the turntable users decry controller users (yes that includes V7 and NS7 users) regularly: I.E.: serato.com
revancheX 1:35 PM - 1 July, 2011
By the way, no one seems to ever remember this, but I seem to recall half of New Zealand being wrecked by a gigantic freaking earthquake like 4 months ago. Sure, Christchurch is on the other island, but Auckland has felt numerous significant aftershocks over the months.

Imagine what it must be like for employees of Serato to deal with THAT nonsense while also worrying about their friends and relatives on South Island and the south end of North Island. And then deal with your whiny selves on the Internet. I know I'd certainly be banging my head into my desk right now if I were in their shoes.

So, you know, certainly ask some questions, but consider relaxing a bit at the same time.
DJdaveZ 5:07 PM - 1 July, 2011
Quote:
You must not hang around the general "DJing Discussion" forum very much where most of the turntable users decry controller users (yes that includes V7 and NS7 users) regularly: I.E.: serato.com

wow what a long read for some bullsh!t

they all think they we all are just pushing a magic button to make the music mix...

ignorance is truly bliss.
haze324 9:34 PM - 1 July, 2011
on the regular DJ forum they bash Itch all the time.
Dj Shamann 11:08 PM - 1 July, 2011
Quote:

See, that's just a mess to me, instead of squinting, my eyes are darting all over the place.

Quote:
but Im 40 yrs, and started in the 90s...

I'm in my 30's, been doing it since the late 80's, I think the way some people talk about it being a deal breaker is a bit ridiculous. you learn to adapt. And I'm blind as a bat, like real bad, color blind to boot so I can't even see the cue points at times, it also fucks with my eyes a bit when the tracks played vs. unplayed are too scattered. But it is what it is and I got with the program real quick.

A lot of the times back in the day if we were using promos there was no art work anyway, or if like me you played 45's I used to put them in carboard sleeves that were sometimes colored for genre (yellow, red, white, green) but most of the time they were just white. yeah there was the label and I can still remember what certain songs look like 20 years later, but when so much stuff was put out on the same labels during whatever time period, it was all just a clusterfuck of Def Jam, MCA, Jive anyway, you still had to read the shit.

I don't know, to each their own, if they put it in and you guys want to use it, good. But I don't think it's as urgent as some make it out to be.
Dj Shamann 11:10 PM - 1 July, 2011
Quote:
By the way, no one seems to ever remember this, but I seem to recall half of New Zealand being wrecked by a gigantic freaking earthquake like 4 months ago. Sure, Christchurch is on the other island, but Auckland has felt numerous significant aftershocks over the months.

Indeed, personally I'd rather they took their time with everything to make sure it's right, rather than rushing it to appease the impatience of some of us.
Dj Shamann 11:15 PM - 1 July, 2011
Quote:

Indeed, personally I'd rather they took their time with everything to make sure it's right, rather than rushing it to appease the impatience of some of us.

And I should note I don't like Itch very much as is, especially the layout, but I'm willing to wait for a proper release, in the meantime I'll make due.
djcerla 3:38 AM - 2 July, 2011
Quote:
on the regular DJ forum they bash Itch all the time.

People used to bash the iPad when it was introduced (and some still are). Resilience to change is strong sometimes, and may blur your vision.
WarpNote 5:42 PM - 4 July, 2011
Quote:
A lot of the times back in the day if we were using promos there was no art work anyway, or if like me you played 45's I used to put them in carboard sleeves that were sometimes colored for genre (yellow, red, white, green) but most of the time they were just white. yeah there was the label and I can still remember what certain songs look like 20 years later, but when so much stuff was put out on the same labels during whatever time period, it was all just a clusterfuck of Def Jam, MCA, Jive anyway, you still had to read the shit.

I always marked my old white label vinyl using a colored pen: title, artist & bpm. One side would be blue the other red text. And there was a lot of not reading anything, just get the red side, look at the grooves, listen in headset and away you go.... And the other thing, I would never bring more than 3 crates at the most, so something in between 60 and 180 records for a gig. These days, there is a clusterfuck of files on my hard drive ;)

Also, as a visual artist I will argue that the basic visual imprint on ANY vinyl, either its a blank sleve, a white label etc, just by feeling the texture of the sleve is WAY stronger than the original list view in SSL/Itch.

i do agree that we all need to adapt, still the artwork browse feature in SSL is the one I ALWAYS use.
(I never use SP6 & internal FX module...)
hologram 8:03 PM - 4 July, 2011
When I still did vinyl I pulled records because I remembered what the cover looked like and where it was last int he crate. The artwork browse has made things seem more comfortable for me. to each their own though
djcerla 10:19 PM - 4 July, 2011
Quote:
When I still did vinyl I pulled records because I remembered what the cover looked like and where it was last int he crate. The artwork browse has made things seem more comfortable for me. to each their own though

I was thinking the same some years ago. And reinforcing my line of thinking with things like "images work best with the right side of the brain, the most creative" and bullshit like this.

It turned out, working with text strings instead of cover art improved dramatically my selection skills. With the added bonus that now I know tracks by name rather than "the blue cover with silver writings" :)
skratchworx 4:49 AM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
"the blue cover with silver writings" :)

I love that track.
kraal 7:57 AM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I love that track.

are you talking about 'freak out'?
:)
Kmxorbit 8:52 AM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
It turned out, working with text strings instead of cover art improved dramatically my selection skills. With the added bonus that now I know tracks by name rather than "the blue cover with silver writings" :)

Same experience for me.
I even select a bigger variety of tracks as I used to do, because of the fact you have several selection options, which is impossible when using plain old Vinyl/Cd's.
By sorting differently, or using certain search keywords, you bump into new tracks (because you also remember the names now^^) that might be as good as the one you're used to play.

Stepping away from album art has improved my playlists...
So for me personally I don't need the Art cover option. I even dare to say that the "art cover"-need on a DVS is way overrated by some users amongst us.
WarpNote 11:22 AM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I love that track.

Me Too!!
WarpNote 11:24 AM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
In the record stores all the CDs and vinyls are sorted in alphabetical order.

They still put quite a few on display though, and sort by genre....
[O/][iii][O/] 2:55 PM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:

lol, Yeah, right. All of them are. Always.
djcerla 2:57 PM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

what's a "record store"?
serkan 7:04 PM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

what's a "record store"?

The place people go when they want to enter Guiness Book World of Records :)
djcerla 8:50 PM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
what's a "record store"?

I don´t know, in my city there is only one. The rest are dead. maps.google.es

How's Cordoba? Does it deserve a visit?
Papa Midnight 10:03 PM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

what's a "record store"?

Had to dig into the archives for this one...
en.wikipedia.org
PapiC 10:11 PM - 5 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
what's a "record store"?

I don´t know, in my city there is only one. The rest are dead. maps.google.es

the antique center is very beautiful - especially the mesquita - I liked it. Nevertheless I love Barcelona.
hologram 12:51 AM - 6 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking the same some years ago. And reinforcing my line of thinking with things like "images work best with the right side of the brain, the most creative" and bullshit like this.

But but I liked the blue cover with the silver writing. They both work I just get into the zone on old school when i see the covers up.
hologram 12:52 AM - 6 July, 2011
Quote:

uh not an penny lane.
djcerla 11:12 AM - 6 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the antique center is very beautiful - especially the mesquita - I liked it. Nevertheless I love Barcelona.

I lived in Barcelona all my life. It is a very big and modern city, but Cordoba has something special. It´s a little city but big on culture. We always have tourists from January to December, they come from all countries over the world. I'm living in Cordoba for 4 years and I´m happy.

I may come for something like this Watchwww.youtube.com if you don't have wives around ;)
djcerla 12:50 AM - 7 July, 2011