Serato DJ Pro General Discussion
The S4 Thread
Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware
The S4 Thread
KLH
6:19 PM - 5 October, 2010
There are lots of comments about the Native Instruments S4 popping up all over the place. Let's centralize the S4 discussion to this thread so that there aren't so many thread-jacks.
I'll start: Over the past week, I've become interested in the Traktor Pro S4 specifically - because it has sampling and the "Live Sampling" feature. IMHO, these are the features that I'd like to see integrated somehow into ITCH. The main turnoff of this software is that it's VERY cluttered in its default state and you cannot make the waveforms stack - they're on opposite sides of the screen.
Some surprising info that I've uncovered about the S4/Traktor Pro S4 (and this may be wrong):
* EQs don't have a kill feature (I find this hard to believe)
* You can have EITHER Deck 3 and 4 OR the 8 Sample Cells - you cannot have both.
* The platters and faders seem to be responsive (like the VCI-300) and use HID
* Did anyone else notice that video isn't an option?
* I like the dedicated filter knob on each channel
* I like the inputs for external decks 3 and 4
* I wonder where the Mic routes to - and where's the -10db button when you're using the mic?
Pics:
www.djtechtools.com
www.djtechtools.com
I must admit that I'm intrigued - because I'm jealous about the sampler. Of course, everything looks great on the web.
-KLH
I'll start: Over the past week, I've become interested in the Traktor Pro S4 specifically - because it has sampling and the "Live Sampling" feature. IMHO, these are the features that I'd like to see integrated somehow into ITCH. The main turnoff of this software is that it's VERY cluttered in its default state and you cannot make the waveforms stack - they're on opposite sides of the screen.
Some surprising info that I've uncovered about the S4/Traktor Pro S4 (and this may be wrong):
* EQs don't have a kill feature (I find this hard to believe)
* You can have EITHER Deck 3 and 4 OR the 8 Sample Cells - you cannot have both.
* The platters and faders seem to be responsive (like the VCI-300) and use HID
* Did anyone else notice that video isn't an option?
* I like the dedicated filter knob on each channel
* I like the inputs for external decks 3 and 4
* I wonder where the Mic routes to - and where's the -10db button when you're using the mic?
Pics:
www.djtechtools.com
www.djtechtools.com
I must admit that I'm intrigued - because I'm jealous about the sampler. Of course, everything looks great on the web.
-KLH
Rebelguy
6:40 PM - 5 October, 2010
Were you referring to video mixing? Does Native Instruments offer this in any of their other software?
zaguama
6:51 PM - 5 October, 2010
Shouldn't this be part of the DJ Discussion or Off-Topic discussion rather than ITCH Discussion, sorry not trying to be rude.
seratosnatch
6:52 PM - 5 October, 2010
I think it is cool, but like you said , let's see what it is like with the hands.
I honestly like the DX layout better. S4 and it's software look cluttered.
I honestly like the DX layout better. S4 and it's software look cluttered.
Coneman Sid
6:53 PM - 5 October, 2010
I honestly like the DX layout better. S4 and it's software look cluttered.
+1
Quote:
I think it is cool, but like you said , let's see what it is like with the hands.I honestly like the DX layout better. S4 and it's software look cluttered.
+1
haze324
6:59 PM - 5 October, 2010
KLH,
Great post. Although this is the Itch forum I think this a great place to get feedback from this user community that has been able to get their hands on the hardware. Most of the reviews i've read (and most are very good) are from Traktor users. A answers and questions:
- Cluttered GUI: You can eliminate a ton of stuff from the GUI. Most of it is on there because no 1:1 controller exists for Traktor. If you check out how Craze uses it the GUI is very simple. No stacked Or colored waveforms. HUGE negative.
- the software does has EQ kill buttons, the hardware does not have dedicated buttons. "Technically you could map these"
- correct on the decks vs samplers/ you can switch mid-set if you needed to.
- Jogs. I've read they are have better response than the 300. I own a 300 and would love to hear from other 300 users what they think.
My biggest gripe are the waveforms not stacked and colored and having used Itch and TP, the beatgriding in Itch is FAR i mean FARRR superior.
There are so many DJ user groups thats almost impossible to please all parties with one software and one controller. I think "currently" the S4 meets the most amount of needs for controller DJ's. however it's not perfect.
This forum is a great place to have this discussion, as competition fuels innovation and perhaps where the S4 has shortfalls the next Itch controller can make up for it. The DX is a great example. I think it did not meet all the needs, and now Traktor has the S4 to fill that gap. Also the price is tough to beat.
I personally don't think the hardware is cluttered. An APC 40 has much more going on, the software --- well, that needs some work.
Great post. Although this is the Itch forum I think this a great place to get feedback from this user community that has been able to get their hands on the hardware. Most of the reviews i've read (and most are very good) are from Traktor users. A answers and questions:
- Cluttered GUI: You can eliminate a ton of stuff from the GUI. Most of it is on there because no 1:1 controller exists for Traktor. If you check out how Craze uses it the GUI is very simple. No stacked Or colored waveforms. HUGE negative.
- the software does has EQ kill buttons, the hardware does not have dedicated buttons. "Technically you could map these"
- correct on the decks vs samplers/ you can switch mid-set if you needed to.
- Jogs. I've read they are have better response than the 300. I own a 300 and would love to hear from other 300 users what they think.
My biggest gripe are the waveforms not stacked and colored and having used Itch and TP, the beatgriding in Itch is FAR i mean FARRR superior.
There are so many DJ user groups thats almost impossible to please all parties with one software and one controller. I think "currently" the S4 meets the most amount of needs for controller DJ's. however it's not perfect.
This forum is a great place to have this discussion, as competition fuels innovation and perhaps where the S4 has shortfalls the next Itch controller can make up for it. The DX is a great example. I think it did not meet all the needs, and now Traktor has the S4 to fill that gap. Also the price is tough to beat.
I personally don't think the hardware is cluttered. An APC 40 has much more going on, the software --- well, that needs some work.
seratosnatch
7:19 PM - 5 October, 2010
Again, it's hard to compare until hands on. Sure it will be nice though and some heavy competition for Serato and it's partners. Competition is a wonderful thing.
KLH
8:12 PM - 5 October, 2010
You're probably right, but I only stay in the ITCH section - because that's how I loop roll.
-KLH
Quote:
Shouldn't this be part of the DJ Discussion or Off-Topic discussion rather than ITCH Discussion, sorry not trying to be rude.You're probably right, but I only stay in the ITCH section - because that's how I loop roll.
-KLH
haze324
8:57 AM - 6 October, 2010
Secondly, the stacked/colored waveforms are critical extra information to inform how/what my mix should be done.
Finally, the flexible beat grid is the ace in the hole for me.
I like the concept of the S4 for more of a live performance in lieu of using Ableton Live IMO, but for traditional DJing (which has worked for something like half a century at this point), Serato/Itch has that covered.
I don't know why someone would leave the current software at this point despite what the other competitors might offer if they can't match the above features. Those are fundamental.
rob.
Rob, great points. These are the same reasons why I am torn between Itch and the new S4. I’ve debated this with myself and have some thoughts I would like to get your comments on.
Bottom lIne: Itch is a close to two decks and a mixer as it gets and the waveforms and grids are FAR superior to what Traktor offers. However, if we are talking traditional DJing – since when did waveforms and beatgrids become traditional DJing. I would think two-three CDJ’s and DJM800 are a little closer to what most clubs rock and plenty of DJ’s use. If that’s the case then the S4 offers more closer set up to decks and a DJM: CDJ style jogs, better effects, etc. No stacked waveforms or grids just means you may have to beat match by ear when the grids are not correct.
Now having said that: I think part of the advancement I Djin and technology is to use Digital tools to enhance our sets and I think the wave forms and grids are an amazing tool and them alone are just as powerful (but in a different way) than a sampler and cool effects. So it’s a toss-up. But again, what does Serato have planned to rival the S4. I think combination of S4 style hardware, with better effects for Itch and the current waveform layout will be the set-up to go with. But how long will that take to arrive and not have the issues the current 1.7 is having with drop outs.
Quote:
My criteria these days is about being a DJ in the traditional sense.Secondly, the stacked/colored waveforms are critical extra information to inform how/what my mix should be done.
Finally, the flexible beat grid is the ace in the hole for me.
I like the concept of the S4 for more of a live performance in lieu of using Ableton Live IMO, but for traditional DJing (which has worked for something like half a century at this point), Serato/Itch has that covered.
I don't know why someone would leave the current software at this point despite what the other competitors might offer if they can't match the above features. Those are fundamental.
rob.
Rob, great points. These are the same reasons why I am torn between Itch and the new S4. I’ve debated this with myself and have some thoughts I would like to get your comments on.
Bottom lIne: Itch is a close to two decks and a mixer as it gets and the waveforms and grids are FAR superior to what Traktor offers. However, if we are talking traditional DJing – since when did waveforms and beatgrids become traditional DJing. I would think two-three CDJ’s and DJM800 are a little closer to what most clubs rock and plenty of DJ’s use. If that’s the case then the S4 offers more closer set up to decks and a DJM: CDJ style jogs, better effects, etc. No stacked waveforms or grids just means you may have to beat match by ear when the grids are not correct.
Now having said that: I think part of the advancement I Djin and technology is to use Digital tools to enhance our sets and I think the wave forms and grids are an amazing tool and them alone are just as powerful (but in a different way) than a sampler and cool effects. So it’s a toss-up. But again, what does Serato have planned to rival the S4. I think combination of S4 style hardware, with better effects for Itch and the current waveform layout will be the set-up to go with. But how long will that take to arrive and not have the issues the current 1.7 is having with drop outs.
DJMOrTone
9:33 AM - 6 October, 2010
I just posted a compressive feature request: to upgrade the NS7 and NS7FX to a 4 deck control system by way of a toggle between decks A/C and B/D. I love the 45record/slipmat/motor platter inovation on the NS7 but want access to 4 decks like with tractor S4 and Xone:DX. This would I think make the NS7 more than competitive with the S4.
Link to NS7 4 deck request
serato.com
Take a look and tell me what you think :)
Link to NS7 4 deck request
serato.com
Take a look and tell me what you think :)
KLH
3:49 PM - 6 October, 2010
IMHO, the NS7 is a different type of controller that ISN'T threatened by the S4. However, the Xone:DX is direct competition. Unfortunately, it's the software side - Traktor Pro S4 versus ITCH 1.7 - where the real comparisons should be made.
As we all know now, Traktor Pro S4 adds sampling to Traktor Pro - which is a mature DJ app in its own right. When I compare its features to ITCH, there are two THREE key features which make it superior to ITCH 1.7:
* The playback sampler bank and loop recorder
* ZPlane's Elastique pitch-shifting engine (which makes going beyond +/- 10% workable)
* MIDI mapping tool - which opens up a WORLD of expansion
Don't misunderstand me, I love ITCH... I just want those key features.
-KLH
Quote:
This would I think make the NS7 more than competitive with the S4.IMHO, the NS7 is a different type of controller that ISN'T threatened by the S4. However, the Xone:DX is direct competition. Unfortunately, it's the software side - Traktor Pro S4 versus ITCH 1.7 - where the real comparisons should be made.
As we all know now, Traktor Pro S4 adds sampling to Traktor Pro - which is a mature DJ app in its own right. When I compare its features to ITCH, there are two THREE key features which make it superior to ITCH 1.7:
* The playback sampler bank and loop recorder
* ZPlane's Elastique pitch-shifting engine (which makes going beyond +/- 10% workable)
* MIDI mapping tool - which opens up a WORLD of expansion
Don't misunderstand me, I love ITCH... I just want those key features.
-KLH
Rob Pointer
3:52 PM - 6 October, 2010
By traditional DJing I meant that there are certain functions in Serato's products (in this case itch) that allow me and others to work in the way that you can do music selection more effectively.
Playlists/crates (prep and and on the fly) match how we used to work when putting vinyl aside while mixing to respond to the room dynamics.
The waveforms are tantamount to being able to watch the grooves on the vinyl to tell you when a break is coming (although the colored waveforms give you even more info - which is a good forward evolution of the concept).
The ability to beatgrid with a variable tempo track keeps the groove of the song while also allowing you to stay in sync.
All those things you already know (sorry to be redundant), but I wanted to repost them because they make the point that if you don't have the above information provided for you, then you miss the fundamentals of workflow, selection, and music playback that DJs need to have at a minimum.
Traktor is great software, but they did disregard the above functionality in lieu of other feature sets. That's fine and I worked around those limitations within Traktor for a long time, but now that i have those fundamental workflow pieces back I don't want to give them up.
Traktor is also built with a different philosophy in mind as well - this is obvious. The attention to effects, MIDI controller customization, etc. = those are advanced features that do move the idea of what a DJ can be forward. I think there is great value in that - which is why I like them still. But when I'm trying to rock a crowd (or lets be honest, just keep up with them, lol) - I need fluid workflow options that allow me to work in the same way I've been working as a DJ for years (selection, playback, workflow).
Stringing tracks together one after the other has been around for decades. It works. People like it - DJs like it. That will always be a viable way to DJ - and Traktor hopes to upend that as "been there, done that", "let's make it possible to deconstruct a track", etc.
That's cool - but this is also dangerous in that it allows DJs who have little to no experience in fundamentals of what a DJ should be able to do (2 sources, a DJ mixer, rock it son) try to then do advanced mixing options and, well, sounding like crap. That's not the software's fault, but my point is that kids who want to be good DJs who only use traktor and have never done any other style of DJing miss out on the fundamentals of putting good sets together because they are too busy customizing their MIDI controller or making boffo effect combinations, etc.
TSP and Serato have similar philosophies for functionality at this point, but where Serato has the edge are functions that are mapped to being a good DJ with fundamental features that allow that to happen with an interface (at least in Itch) that is simplified for that that experience.
.02 and all that. :)
Playlists/crates (prep and and on the fly) match how we used to work when putting vinyl aside while mixing to respond to the room dynamics.
The waveforms are tantamount to being able to watch the grooves on the vinyl to tell you when a break is coming (although the colored waveforms give you even more info - which is a good forward evolution of the concept).
The ability to beatgrid with a variable tempo track keeps the groove of the song while also allowing you to stay in sync.
All those things you already know (sorry to be redundant), but I wanted to repost them because they make the point that if you don't have the above information provided for you, then you miss the fundamentals of workflow, selection, and music playback that DJs need to have at a minimum.
Traktor is great software, but they did disregard the above functionality in lieu of other feature sets. That's fine and I worked around those limitations within Traktor for a long time, but now that i have those fundamental workflow pieces back I don't want to give them up.
Traktor is also built with a different philosophy in mind as well - this is obvious. The attention to effects, MIDI controller customization, etc. = those are advanced features that do move the idea of what a DJ can be forward. I think there is great value in that - which is why I like them still. But when I'm trying to rock a crowd (or lets be honest, just keep up with them, lol) - I need fluid workflow options that allow me to work in the same way I've been working as a DJ for years (selection, playback, workflow).
Stringing tracks together one after the other has been around for decades. It works. People like it - DJs like it. That will always be a viable way to DJ - and Traktor hopes to upend that as "been there, done that", "let's make it possible to deconstruct a track", etc.
That's cool - but this is also dangerous in that it allows DJs who have little to no experience in fundamentals of what a DJ should be able to do (2 sources, a DJ mixer, rock it son) try to then do advanced mixing options and, well, sounding like crap. That's not the software's fault, but my point is that kids who want to be good DJs who only use traktor and have never done any other style of DJing miss out on the fundamentals of putting good sets together because they are too busy customizing their MIDI controller or making boffo effect combinations, etc.
TSP and Serato have similar philosophies for functionality at this point, but where Serato has the edge are functions that are mapped to being a good DJ with fundamental features that allow that to happen with an interface (at least in Itch) that is simplified for that that experience.
.02 and all that. :)
KLH
4:06 PM - 6 October, 2010
Agreed.
Bottom line: DJs want it all - great fundamentals and advanced features that would make NASA jealous.
ITCH (and SSL) have it down for fundamentals. ITCH v1.7 introduced the beat-grid, which is THE core piece that all other features build upon.
-KLH
Quote:
TSP and Serato have similar philosophies for functionality at this point, but where Serato has the edge are functions that are mapped to being a good DJ with fundamental features that allow that to happen with an interface (at least in Itch) that is simplified for that that experience.Agreed.
Bottom line: DJs want it all - great fundamentals and advanced features that would make NASA jealous.
ITCH (and SSL) have it down for fundamentals. ITCH v1.7 introduced the beat-grid, which is THE core piece that all other features build upon.
-KLH
haze324
4:17 PM - 6 October, 2010
Rob,
Very well put and that is definetly the argument. Itch's workflow for me makes much more sense, than TP's and with all the new added features I can honestly say that I do not plan on ever rocking a set similar to Shiftee's demo vids or have I have ever considered doing an Ean Golden hot cue juggle. I much prefer to play like you stated above. However I still think Itch is missing something (while providing the waveforms and grids, that TP doesn't)
My gripe started with the rumors of BPM and a Pioneer controller. My hopes were Itch would announce something was on the horizon, but failed to and now the S4 has taken the lime light.
I agree with KLH above, that DJ's want a little more than what 2 decks and mixer can provide, and although the S4 is providing perhaps more tools than necessary - we as Itch users (in genaral terms) want more as well. (i base this on the amount of feature request threads asking for effects, SP6 sampler, video, etc.)
KLH - I would've gotten the DX and waited for future releases if the jogs were better. The HID jogs on the S4 I think will satisfy a variety of DJ's.
What do we know?
The Bridge integration is coming to Itch in 2011. We don't know if a new controller will be introduced that can controll both softwares. We don't know if the effects in Itch will be improved or we will need to rely on ableton for better effects. Will I need to add a second controller to my current set up to use the Bridge Features. My point is we don't know much. We do know a new product is out that has sparked interest in many.
I'll give it a try. (and deeply miss Itch waveforms)
Very well put and that is definetly the argument. Itch's workflow for me makes much more sense, than TP's and with all the new added features I can honestly say that I do not plan on ever rocking a set similar to Shiftee's demo vids or have I have ever considered doing an Ean Golden hot cue juggle. I much prefer to play like you stated above. However I still think Itch is missing something (while providing the waveforms and grids, that TP doesn't)
My gripe started with the rumors of BPM and a Pioneer controller. My hopes were Itch would announce something was on the horizon, but failed to and now the S4 has taken the lime light.
I agree with KLH above, that DJ's want a little more than what 2 decks and mixer can provide, and although the S4 is providing perhaps more tools than necessary - we as Itch users (in genaral terms) want more as well. (i base this on the amount of feature request threads asking for effects, SP6 sampler, video, etc.)
KLH - I would've gotten the DX and waited for future releases if the jogs were better. The HID jogs on the S4 I think will satisfy a variety of DJ's.
What do we know?
The Bridge integration is coming to Itch in 2011. We don't know if a new controller will be introduced that can controll both softwares. We don't know if the effects in Itch will be improved or we will need to rely on ableton for better effects. Will I need to add a second controller to my current set up to use the Bridge Features. My point is we don't know much. We do know a new product is out that has sparked interest in many.
I'll give it a try. (and deeply miss Itch waveforms)
Rob Pointer
6:31 PM - 6 October, 2010
"My gripe started with the rumors of BPM and a Pioneer controller. My hopes were Itch would announce something was on the horizon, but failed to and now the S4 has taken the lime light."
Your post makes me think of a saying:
Expectations are nothing more than premeditated disappointments.
;)
Your post makes me think of a saying:
Expectations are nothing more than premeditated disappointments.
;)
DJMOrTone
6:52 PM - 6 October, 2010
IMHO, the NS7 is a different type of controller that ISN'T threatened by the S4. However, the Xone:DX is direct competition. Unfortunately, it's the software side - Traktor Pro S4 versus ITCH 1.7 - where the real comparisons should be made.
Once the Bridge comes out for ITCH any 4 deck ITCH hardware with Launch Pad or another Ableton Live controller will in my opinion be more that competitive with Tractor pro and the S4
4 Deck Mixing
Wave Forms
Sampling and Looping (with the power of Ableton Live at your finger tips)
better than S4
Quote:
Quote:
This would I think make the NS7 more than competitive with the S4.IMHO, the NS7 is a different type of controller that ISN'T threatened by the S4. However, the Xone:DX is direct competition. Unfortunately, it's the software side - Traktor Pro S4 versus ITCH 1.7 - where the real comparisons should be made.
Once the Bridge comes out for ITCH any 4 deck ITCH hardware with Launch Pad or another Ableton Live controller will in my opinion be more that competitive with Tractor pro and the S4
4 Deck Mixing
Wave Forms
Sampling and Looping (with the power of Ableton Live at your finger tips)
better than S4
djcerla
7:00 PM - 6 October, 2010
PS: new products announcements can eventually happen even OUTSIDE trade shows... ;-)
haze324
8:28 PM - 6 October, 2010
played for a small group tonight.....used Itch and my VCI. Had some minor issues with 1.7 ---- but I'll be honest, the colored waveforms and grids are impossible to beat. Playing music is therapy for me out here and Itch is so much funner than button pushing on Traktor. Having second thoughts.
p.s. they could also eventually happen in 2012, and that's no fun!
Quote:
PS: new products announcements can eventually happen even OUTSIDE trade shows... ;-)played for a small group tonight.....used Itch and my VCI. Had some minor issues with 1.7 ---- but I'll be honest, the colored waveforms and grids are impossible to beat. Playing music is therapy for me out here and Itch is so much funner than button pushing on Traktor. Having second thoughts.
p.s. they could also eventually happen in 2012, and that's no fun!
seratosnatch
8:33 PM - 6 October, 2010
I agree, Serato has a big lead with the waveforms..I love them and always have loved the simplicity of Itch and SSL. I think Itch is a bit more cpu intensive than say Traktor due to the large and colored waveforms, but not sure.
I wonder if Traktor will offer this one day too..
Anyway 1.7 is just the beginning and one big leap.
I wonder if Traktor will offer this one day too..
Anyway 1.7 is just the beginning and one big leap.
haze324
8:36 PM - 6 October, 2010
yes it is. I can run Traktor on a netbook with no issues. I've done a 4 hour set with zero problems. Itch lagged big time.
Traktor I highly doubt will ever have colored waveforms. That would be them admitting that Serato has had it right all along. Instead they will offer other functionalities.
Traktor I highly doubt will ever have colored waveforms. That would be them admitting that Serato has had it right all along. Instead they will offer other functionalities.
bigdik magee
3:14 AM - 7 October, 2010
I have the option to trade up here for my NS7FX and a pretty good trade to go in the S4 direction. I'm really attracted to it, but I'm really attracted to the bridge option and the possibilities that open up, and what 2.0 is going to bring for ITCH.
I really want both.....
I really want both.....
KLH
5:38 AM - 7 October, 2010
I'll probably pick up an S4 as a backup. It'll probably be $300 used six months from now... You know, after the Bridge comes out and ITCH v2 is teased...
Of course, all bets are off if the limited edition NS12 comes out. F T W.
-KLH
Of course, all bets are off if the limited edition NS12 comes out. F T W.
-KLH
haze324
5:58 AM - 7 October, 2010
well here's another thought KLH.
Lets say a sweet DX/S4 style controller comes out possibly made by Pionner.......Traktor Pro will soon get an update to match S4 sampler features. You could simple just re-map your controller and use it on both.
Only issue i can think of is support at the jogs on TP from 14 bit and having the same issues the 300 has with TP. This of course dependent on a sweet controller being released to support Itch 2.0 features.
Lets say a sweet DX/S4 style controller comes out possibly made by Pionner.......Traktor Pro will soon get an update to match S4 sampler features. You could simple just re-map your controller and use it on both.
Only issue i can think of is support at the jogs on TP from 14 bit and having the same issues the 300 has with TP. This of course dependent on a sweet controller being released to support Itch 2.0 features.
DJ Urkel Dee
5:24 AM - 8 October, 2010
Why do people compare always want to compare the "fundamentals of dj'n by saying serato is truer to the artform but tractor isn't... it is and can be... Just keep the dam Sync button off and you would have to home your skills just like with using serato... stop blaming trakor.... dj's are lazy because they choose to be!
haze324
5:45 AM - 8 October, 2010
I don’t think it has much to do with the sync button, but rather the style of playing. While Traktor can be used, and is great, for any style from Craze to Carl Cox, the mainstream use of Traktor differs than Itch. I take fundamental DJ’s as two decks and a mixer. Traktor (until the S4) doesn’t even support beyond 7-bit at the jogs so there is no controller out there to properly scratch with or to emulate jogs well. The VCI-300 and the NS7 by far are the two best out…with the S4 now following suit. Also they just implements 14 bit at the pitch faders a few updates ago. Two decks + a mixer = fundamental (in my opinion). Traktors’ biggest selling points are its effects and 4 decks, neither are really “fundamental” Djing….however, Traktor is far ahead of SSL or Itch in this category so that’s where the argument comes into play and now both companies are adding to their software to provide features the other one has. SSL now has some good effects, Itch has beatgrids, the S4 offers HID jogs, the sample decks vs. the Bridge. But having said all that two decks + a mixer function MUCH better on Itch than Traktor and that’s how many guys started playing and can easily relate. I think both tools are great.
DJMOrTone
9:10 AM - 8 October, 2010
SSL now has some good effects, Itch has beatgrids, the S4 offers HID jogs, the sample decks vs. the Bridge. But having said all that two decks + a mixer function MUCH better on Itch than Traktor and that’s how many guys started playing and can easily relate. I think both tools are great.
Well Said!
(lets get the 4 deck control for itch going! +1 this software upgrade if you want to help let Serato know what we want :). I think it is pretty thorough read over it and let everyone know your opinion on it) -> serato.com <- ITCH 4 Deck Mixing Proposal
Quote:
I don’t think it has much to do with the sync button, but rather the style of playing. While Traktor can be used, and is great, for any style from Craze to Carl Cox, the mainstream use of Traktor differs than Itch. I take fundamental DJ’s as two decks and a mixer. Traktor (until the S4) doesn’t even support beyond 7-bit at the jogs so there is no controller out there to properly scratch with or to emulate jogs well. The VCI-300 and the NS7 by far are the two best out…with the S4 now following suit. Also they just implements 14 bit at the pitch faders a few updates ago. Two decks + a mixer = fundamental (in my opinion). Traktors’ biggest selling points are its effects and 4 decks, neither are really “fundamental” Djing….however, Traktor is far ahead of SSL or Itch in this category so that’s where the argument comes into play and now both companies are adding to their software to provide features the other one has.SSL now has some good effects, Itch has beatgrids, the S4 offers HID jogs, the sample decks vs. the Bridge. But having said all that two decks + a mixer function MUCH better on Itch than Traktor and that’s how many guys started playing and can easily relate. I think both tools are great.
Well Said!
(lets get the 4 deck control for itch going! +1 this software upgrade if you want to help let Serato know what we want :). I think it is pretty thorough read over it and let everyone know your opinion on it) -> serato.com <- ITCH 4 Deck Mixing Proposal
DJ Urkel Dee
11:15 PM - 8 October, 2010
Very well said haze324 but I'm not speaking on features I'm speaking on fundamentals as well and while Traktor HID/Platter control leaves a little more to be desired I was speaking on guys complaining out how Trakor doesn't teach guys the "fundamentals" of mixing and thats a bunch of crap I use both and if you wish to disable most of the beat syncing/beat gridding/effects than you can and will have to rely on skills... Once Serato get's the beat matching down and Traktor lines up wave files side by side (and a few other things) it will be a fine line between the programs... People don't need to compare or complain about Traktor/Serato more than they need to compare or complain about SL/Itch. Once again... If people don't like Traktor over Itch or SL FINE just make music and be happy... I've heard some people were trying to get DMC to add SL as part of the gear and they are like NO... So I'm staying that to say this... To all the guys that's always talking about "DJ'in Fundamentals" There's always someone that's more of a Purist than you are!
JaredF
11:36 AM - 12 October, 2010
Don't forget the visual mixers with serato... the majority of the newer DJ's I see are glued to their screen. So go back to basics... Use vinyl... but honestly the only ppl who care about this shit are the DJ's. Crowds care about MUSIC... How can you best assist the listeners is what ever your comfortable with.
Quote:
Why do people compare always want to compare the "fundamentals of dj'n by saying serato is truer to the artform but tractor isn't... it is and can be... Just keep the dam Sync button off and you would have to home your skills just like with using serato... stop blaming trakor.... dj's are lazy because they choose to be!Don't forget the visual mixers with serato... the majority of the newer DJ's I see are glued to their screen. So go back to basics... Use vinyl... but honestly the only ppl who care about this shit are the DJ's. Crowds care about MUSIC... How can you best assist the listeners is what ever your comfortable with.
KLH
2:59 PM - 17 October, 2010
Yep, that's the TRUTH right there.
-KLH
Quote:
but honestly the only ppl who care about this shit are the DJ's. Crowds care about MUSIC...Yep, that's the TRUTH right there.
-KLH
seratosnatch
3:47 PM - 17 October, 2010
+1
..Controllers and software will not make the crowd move..it is all up to the music and the dj.
..Controllers and software will not make the crowd move..it is all up to the music and the dj.
damehype
4:13 AM - 19 October, 2010
Don't forget the visual mixers with serato... the majority of the newer DJ's I see are glued to their screen. So go back to basics... Use vinyl... but honestly the only ppl who care about this shit are the DJ's. Crowds care about MUSIC... How can you best assist the listeners is what ever your comfortable with.
The majority of vinyl "purists" I see are glued to their vinyl markers... Jusayin
Quote:
Quote:
Why do people compare always want to compare the "fundamentals of dj'n by saying serato is truer to the artform but tractor isn't... it is and can be... Just keep the dam Sync button off and you would have to home your skills just like with using serato... stop blaming trakor.... dj's are lazy because they choose to be!Don't forget the visual mixers with serato... the majority of the newer DJ's I see are glued to their screen. So go back to basics... Use vinyl... but honestly the only ppl who care about this shit are the DJ's. Crowds care about MUSIC... How can you best assist the listeners is what ever your comfortable with.
The majority of vinyl "purists" I see are glued to their vinyl markers... Jusayin
thebeatworx
5:27 PM - 19 October, 2010
I really like what I've seen from Native Instruments... I recently had the chance to "upgrade" to the VCI300 MKII for it's louder outputs and replaceable fader, but I was really on the fence as far as whether or not I should wait a few weeks for the S4. There are tons of features on that unit and Traktor that I would use... (The included effects in Traktor Pro alone were enough to make me a fan of NI.) But when it came down to what I loved about DJing, the VCI-300 had the basics down pretty well... I could mix and scratch... like two turntables and a mixer... AND it seemed a lot more portable than the S4...
But for people who don't care about portability, (and assuming that the build quality is on par) there's no reason why I personally wouldn't have gone with the S4... (I just didn't want to lug the S4 onto a plane wearing a backpack that makes me look like an astronaut.)
But for people who don't care about portability, (and assuming that the build quality is on par) there's no reason why I personally wouldn't have gone with the S4... (I just didn't want to lug the S4 onto a plane wearing a backpack that makes me look like an astronaut.)
thebeatworx
6:07 PM - 19 October, 2010
@kraal Haha... They (along with milkcrates) were considered portable when I was younger... But now my back is telling me otherwise...
kraal
6:08 PM - 19 October, 2010
i agree i just think how when we started we never thought this would be possible
Quote:
@kraal Haha... They (along with milkcrates) were considered portable when I was younger... But now my back is telling me otherwise...i agree i just think how when we started we never thought this would be possible
haze324
6:20 PM - 19 October, 2010
true story: I was playing at my boys pool party a few month back. Me and him used to DJ in highschool together (1995). And a mutual friend sees my VCI-300 and says "holy shit, that's all you need now a days. That little thing right there. I remember when you guys needed a mini van just to get a party". A few seconds later I scratch a song in, and the same guy comes back and says "hold on was that you...you can scratch on that thing too!"
Now to stay on the S4, i'm having a dandy of a time trying to find a good bookbag that thing fits in. i've found 2-3 of them, but still not 100% certain they're a good fit.
Now to stay on the S4, i'm having a dandy of a time trying to find a good bookbag that thing fits in. i've found 2-3 of them, but still not 100% certain they're a good fit.
DJ Urkel Dee
8:00 PM - 19 October, 2010
@kraal & thebeatworx I remember those days also... I also remember dj's hiring guys to carry around the crates....
KLH
11:22 PM - 19 October, 2010
There's a joke in there somewhere...
I remember not being able get my equipment home from high school parties because no one could fit my stuff INTO ONE CAR! I had to wait for the next day to pick up my stuff.
-KLH
Quote:
Me and him used to DJ in highschool together (1995).There's a joke in there somewhere...
I remember not being able get my equipment home from high school parties because no one could fit my stuff INTO ONE CAR! I had to wait for the next day to pick up my stuff.
-KLH
Rob Pointer
3:40 PM - 20 October, 2010
lol.
Really? I'm having a hard time believing that the S4 is bigger than the Xone:4D. I gotta recheck those dimensions again - because if so, the S4 is a beastly size then.
Hadn't realized that.
Really? I'm having a hard time believing that the S4 is bigger than the Xone:4D. I gotta recheck those dimensions again - because if so, the S4 is a beastly size then.
Hadn't realized that.
haze324
4:19 PM - 20 October, 2010
DIMENSIONS
Depth: 32.2cm / 12.7''
Height: 5.2cm / 2''
Width: 50cm / 19.7''
Weight: 3.4kg / 7.5lbs
19.7 inches. for the S4
Xone 4D is just under 18 i believe.
Depth: 32.2cm / 12.7''
Height: 5.2cm / 2''
Width: 50cm / 19.7''
Weight: 3.4kg / 7.5lbs
19.7 inches. for the S4
Xone 4D is just under 18 i believe.
haze324
4:56 PM - 20 October, 2010
the Xone 4D says:
S4 you got me on length, but I've got GIRTH!!!!
S4 you got me on length, but I've got GIRTH!!!!
kraal
2:44 AM - 30 October, 2010
to give it the benifit of doubt (see that that was first time users) I will say it is on par with the vci-300 . I did see a few miss communications happening on the scatches (latancy issues) so now i guess it is a feature race ... until traktor get it's on ns7
to give it the benifit of doubt (see that that was first time users) I will say it is on par with the vci-300 . I did see a few miss communications happening on the scatches (latancy issues) so now i guess it is a feature race ... until traktor get it's on ns7
haze324
3:22 AM - 30 October, 2010
That shit is pretty pimp.
Jogs - I think the size of the jogs on the 300 are bigger and therefore more comfortable, but the placement of the cross fader is probably better where it's on the S4. Latency, it might be close. The reviews i've read are the S4 has better response, but this was from S4 issues.
Aside from the software specifics (GUI, Colors, etc.) this has raised the bar for the next wave of 4 channel midi controllers.
I would love to see something like this for Itch with just a few added features.
Jogs - I think the size of the jogs on the 300 are bigger and therefore more comfortable, but the placement of the cross fader is probably better where it's on the S4. Latency, it might be close. The reviews i've read are the S4 has better response, but this was from S4 issues.
Aside from the software specifics (GUI, Colors, etc.) this has raised the bar for the next wave of 4 channel midi controllers.
I would love to see something like this for Itch with just a few added features.
kraal
3:31 AM - 30 October, 2010
i am basing the 'latancy issues' on the fact that a few of the scratches are off sound wise where as the motions seemed correct
zaguama
5:33 AM - 30 October, 2010
yeah definitely not a tunrtablist's dream but i'd say it does a very good job and not a bad price 900 bucks for all the features included.
kraal
5:45 AM - 30 October, 2010
thats why i say it is now a feature war cause i beleive the vci-300 may handle better and the ns7 definatly does
Quote:
yeah definitely not a tunrtablist's dream but i'd say it does a very good job and not a bad price 900 bucks for all the features included.thats why i say it is now a feature war cause i beleive the vci-300 may handle better and the ns7 definatly does
djcerla
10:07 AM - 30 October, 2010
Jogs - I think the size of the jogs on the 300 are bigger and therefore more comfortable, but the placement of the cross fader is probably better where it's on the S4. Latency, it might be close. The reviews i've read are the S4 has better response, but this was from S4 issues.
Come on, those jogs are laughably small, placed in the wrong position (buttons were given priority), and nowhere as responsive as VCI-300 platters, not to mention Numark stuff. Even the guys in this video look like they're playing on a Fisher-Price toy, reminding me those Top Gear videos where small city cars are drove by F1 pilots.
Now, if you think the (momentary) features advantage of the S4 over ITCH gear will take you to the next DJ level, just buy it and have fun. But not pretend this unit comes nowhere close to a VCI-300 for scratching: this is simply not the case.
Quote:
Jogs - I think the size of the jogs on the 300 are bigger and therefore more comfortable, but the placement of the cross fader is probably better where it's on the S4. Latency, it might be close. The reviews i've read are the S4 has better response, but this was from S4 issues.
Come on, those jogs are laughably small, placed in the wrong position (buttons were given priority), and nowhere as responsive as VCI-300 platters, not to mention Numark stuff. Even the guys in this video look like they're playing on a Fisher-Price toy, reminding me those Top Gear videos where small city cars are drove by F1 pilots.
Now, if you think the (momentary) features advantage of the S4 over ITCH gear will take you to the next DJ level, just buy it and have fun. But not pretend this unit comes nowhere close to a VCI-300 for scratching: this is simply not the case.
nik39
10:24 AM - 30 October, 2010
+1
Quote:
i am basing the 'latancy issues' on the fact that a few of the scratches are off sound wise where as the motions seemed correct+1
haze324
10:41 AM - 30 October, 2010
Come on those jogs..... are nowhere as responsive as VCI-300 platters,
Now, if you think the (momentary) features advantage of the S4 over ITCH
just buy it and have fun.
But not pretend this unit comes nowhere close to a VCI-300 for scratching: this is simply not the case.
Are you saying they are not as responsive from your experience using them or from what you saw here? Because although I haven't looked around all that much but the few vids I've seen of guys scratching in the VCI are fairly the same on both ends.
The platter response time has actually gotten great reviews as well as the crossfader.
Yep. I ordered it. It'll be fun to have something new to mess around with. I played a halloween party last night on my VCI-300 and Itch and had a blast. 1.7.1 was solid not a single pop. I have faith in Itch and hope they can compete here soon, not just feature wise but with a solid 4 channel controller with just as good platter control. When that day comes then I'll decide which route to stick with.
I try to remain objective. Lots of folks here don't. You think it looks like a toy, well I'm sure you've heard the same about the NS7. Come on now. When I get mine here in a few weeks I'll try to record a demo of both the VCI and the 300 side by side platter responses.
Quote:
Come on those jogs..... are nowhere as responsive as VCI-300 platters,
Now, if you think the (momentary) features advantage of the S4 over ITCH
just buy it and have fun.
But not pretend this unit comes nowhere close to a VCI-300 for scratching: this is simply not the case.
Are you saying they are not as responsive from your experience using them or from what you saw here? Because although I haven't looked around all that much but the few vids I've seen of guys scratching in the VCI are fairly the same on both ends.
The platter response time has actually gotten great reviews as well as the crossfader.
Yep. I ordered it. It'll be fun to have something new to mess around with. I played a halloween party last night on my VCI-300 and Itch and had a blast. 1.7.1 was solid not a single pop. I have faith in Itch and hope they can compete here soon, not just feature wise but with a solid 4 channel controller with just as good platter control. When that day comes then I'll decide which route to stick with.
I try to remain objective. Lots of folks here don't. You think it looks like a toy, well I'm sure you've heard the same about the NS7. Come on now. When I get mine here in a few weeks I'll try to record a demo of both the VCI and the 300 side by side platter responses.
djcerla
10:45 AM - 30 October, 2010
From the video, it's clear the platter response is not on the same league.
And the jogs definitely look funny, it's hard to deny it. It's not that NI is dumb, only they gave priority to different things.
And the jogs definitely look funny, it's hard to deny it. It's not that NI is dumb, only they gave priority to different things.
nik39
10:49 AM - 30 October, 2010
But don't you hear that on some vids it sounds off? And I don't mean the audio to visual delay, just listen to the audio and it doesn't sound right. But maybe it's just that the DJ's need some time to accommodate.
Quote:
Are you saying they are not as responsive from your experience using them or from what you saw here? Because although I haven't looked around all that much but the few vids I've seen of guys scratching in the VCI are fairly the same on both ends.But don't you hear that on some vids it sounds off? And I don't mean the audio to visual delay, just listen to the audio and it doesn't sound right. But maybe it's just that the DJ's need some time to accommodate.
haze324
10:50 AM - 30 October, 2010
I agree it looks funny. Yes partly because NI and Traktor cater more towards EDM DJ's, the other part is because we are not used to see it set up that way. The crossfader and the jogs on the 300 are pretty cramped together incomparrison to a mixer and two turntables. This allows for more space.
Either way, I'll give it a shot -- if for nothing else, something to keep me entertained for a while till Itch makes a move. We all have different tastes....I think it looks pretty freakin sweet.
Either way, I'll give it a shot -- if for nothing else, something to keep me entertained for a while till Itch makes a move. We all have different tastes....I think it looks pretty freakin sweet.
haze324
10:56 AM - 30 October, 2010
Nik,
Im at work and didn't get to see the full video. I saw some dudes messin around with a new piece of gear and showing off some scratches. Some better than others, but I thought it was a good demo of what the S4 is capable of. I don't the intent of the S4 was for it to be a competitor to the NS7, but rather and all in one 4 channel unit, with effects and a sampler that can ALSO be used to scratch on. I don't think that was the number one goal.
Yeah, who knows how long those guys had it, if they changed the latency on it, etc. it looked like guys goofing around and having fun with new gear. We've all done it.
Im at work and didn't get to see the full video. I saw some dudes messin around with a new piece of gear and showing off some scratches. Some better than others, but I thought it was a good demo of what the S4 is capable of. I don't the intent of the S4 was for it to be a competitor to the NS7, but rather and all in one 4 channel unit, with effects and a sampler that can ALSO be used to scratch on. I don't think that was the number one goal.
Yeah, who knows how long those guys had it, if they changed the latency on it, etc. it looked like guys goofing around and having fun with new gear. We've all done it.
djcerla
10:58 AM - 30 October, 2010
Maybe I'm wrong but this rather looks like a viral video from NI intentionally left rough.
nik39
11:00 AM - 30 October, 2010
It's still is, agreed.
Yeah, who knows how long those guys had it, if they changed the latency on it, etc. it looked like guys goofing around and having fun with new gear. We've all done it.
Good points.
Quote:
I thought it was a good demo of what the S4 is capable ofIt's still is, agreed.
Quote:
I don't the intent of the S4 was for it to be a competitor to the NS7, but rather and all in one 4 channel unit, with effects and a sampler that can ALSO be used to scratch on. I don't think that was the number one goal.Yeah, who knows how long those guys had it, if they changed the latency on it, etc. it looked like guys goofing around and having fun with new gear. We've all done it.
Good points.
kraal
4:10 PM - 30 October, 2010
even looking at the 'shiftee' video his scratching is basic......
but besides that the key point of this thing is the sampler which is awesome ( hint hint serato)
but besides that the key point of this thing is the sampler which is awesome ( hint hint serato)
Dj Fitty
4:13 PM - 30 October, 2010
until I seen this video I didnt care for the S4 but now for me, this is a Itch killer. I like scratching and for the types of scratching I do at the club this will work just fine. I mean those are some pretty dope scratches for a controller. the loops, effects, sampler, 4 decks all with one controller. was saving for new vci but now, they can keep it.
'ITCH SUCKS"
until I seen this video I didnt care for the S4 but now for me, this is a Itch killer. I like scratching and for the types of scratching I do at the club this will work just fine. I mean those are some pretty dope scratches for a controller. the loops, effects, sampler, 4 decks all with one controller. was saving for new vci but now, they can keep it.
'ITCH SUCKS"
Dj Fitty
4:49 PM - 30 October, 2010
so why you care about writing on ITCH forum?
because I am a vci owner, if Serato dont know how I really feel about Itch they will never change. So if you are 100% happy with Itch and the direction its going thats cool and if you express it thats cool too. I am expressing that "Itch Sucks" and that cool for me.
Quote:
Quote:
'ITCH SUCKS"so why you care about writing on ITCH forum?
because I am a vci owner, if Serato dont know how I really feel about Itch they will never change. So if you are 100% happy with Itch and the direction its going thats cool and if you express it thats cool too. I am expressing that "Itch Sucks" and that cool for me.
Rob Pointer
4:51 PM - 30 October, 2010
link to your threads where you are explicit why it sucks. That way they can better understand your criticisms and fix it.
That would seem helpful rather than make a blanket statement, IMO.
That would seem helpful rather than make a blanket statement, IMO.
Dj Fitty
4:51 PM - 30 October, 2010
so why you care about writing on ITCH forum?
LOL you help my expression. thanks for the "ITCH SUCKS" QUOTE
Quote:
Quote:
'ITCH SUCKS"so why you care about writing on ITCH forum?
LOL you help my expression. thanks for the "ITCH SUCKS" QUOTE
Dj Fitty
4:52 PM - 30 October, 2010
That would seem helpful rather than make a blanket statement, IMO.
YOU MY FRIEND ARE RIGHT!
Quote:
link to your threads where you are explicit why it sucks. That way they can better understand your criticisms and fix it.That would seem helpful rather than make a blanket statement, IMO.
YOU MY FRIEND ARE RIGHT!
wadup
4:57 PM - 30 October, 2010
Dj fitty sorry you feel this way about itch, don't think it's for u, but honestly your expression doesn't really matter to us who really enjoy every bit of itch...On that note I hope u enjoy your s4, hopefully you will start posting good things about the S4 on traktor forums.
kraal
5:03 PM - 30 October, 2010
seriously if itch sucks you need to sell your vci-300 i mean if i own anything that sucks i would sell it and abandon the company
Dj Fitty
5:14 PM - 30 October, 2010
@wadup thanks bro, I sure will. I use to gig with Traktor 6 nights a week and get compliments on a good job and I did a lot of complaining on their forum. Now that I use Itch 6 nights a week I get compliments on doing a good job and I do a lot of complaining on this forum. @ kraal I see you put yo cheerleading uniform on again! AND you always screaming Sell is stale now. " ITCH SUCKS" and I hope they change this one to one mapping bull. But guess what? I can dj with about anything and right now its Itch and right now this is the place I will complain. So dont be so sensitive about how I feel about using something that I think Sucks,
kraal
5:20 PM - 30 October, 2010
i was just stating if it sucks sell it... i did not cheerlead anything but enjoy tossing jabs at my ( say what you want just spell my name right)--- if you actually look at my post even the one on this thread you will see i also make suggestions for ITCH's improvement but none the less you coose to call me names
Dj Fitty
5:36 PM - 30 October, 2010
@ kraal I am not wanting to be offensive, just having fun with the cheerleading stuff. but if you think its name calling then I will stop. Itch does what it does well. I havent had too many issues with it. I just want more and every time we want more its gonna mean hardware. This is a software based dj tool being held back feature wise by Serato making these 1 to 1 requirements. Hell Itch could have everything we want right now but waiting on the hardware company to make, develop and test is what making ITCH SUCK. I would rather pay for major update downloads. but I quess thats just me.
djcerla
5:38 PM - 30 October, 2010
@ Dj Fitty
you've obviously made a wrong buying decision
other people in this forum have made the right one, and they're more than happy with ITCH
the logical conclusion is that ITCH doesn't suck "per se", but sucks for your needs.
Spend your time making a better homework and less ranting on Internet forums, you'll save money and you'll not pollute this public space with pointless negativity.
you've obviously made a wrong buying decision
other people in this forum have made the right one, and they're more than happy with ITCH
the logical conclusion is that ITCH doesn't suck "per se", but sucks for your needs.
Spend your time making a better homework and less ranting on Internet forums, you'll save money and you'll not pollute this public space with pointless negativity.
kraal
5:54 PM - 30 October, 2010
check my new thread
www.serato.com
Quote:
. I just want more and every time we want more its gonna mean hardware. This is a software based dj tool being held back feature wise by Serato making these 1 to 1 requirements. .check my new thread
www.serato.com
Dj Fitty
5:58 PM - 30 October, 2010
@ djceria most post are people that are having problems or not satisfied. and maybe I sure did purchase wrong. Its the most expensive dj software package out feature wise and guess what? You gotta keep spending and spending and spending even before your hardware wears down.
dj ask
6:07 PM - 30 October, 2010
some people cannot tell an elephant in front of their faces let alone try to understand other people. Its much easier to bash the person and not their ideas. cowards.
Dj Fitty
6:10 PM - 30 October, 2010
@ djceria it seems you have a problems with a lot a post. I checked, you have a few telling people to leave the forum. do you troll for this stuff?
KLH
6:11 PM - 30 October, 2010
Hey DJFitty, IIRC, we were both on the Xponent a while back trying to get a controller that had platter performance that was good enough to be similar to a TT, device expandability, AND other features that would allow us to grow (like sampling, video, "warping").
About 18 months ago, ITCH offered performance that was unmatched by other controllers. Since most of us migrated from mature DJ Apps like SSL, TP/TSP, Torq, we thought that we wouldn't give up so much to get great platter performance. Since then, most of us have hung onto ITCH hoping for more features in ITCH... and it's happened: Effects, beat-gridding, warping have been introduced... and we love it.
WE JUST WANT MORE. When a competitor with a known feature-rich product gets similar platter performance (BIG assumption here), we now disregard that as a killer-feature and then wonder what IS keeping us on ITCH.
DJ Fitty is just voicing his frustration. Will it change anything for the Serato devs? No. Is it productive? I think so, because it validates feelings that a LOT of us have (myself included). The only question is "Does the S4 offer enough to warrant replacing my ITCH investment?" It's a great question.
-KLH
About 18 months ago, ITCH offered performance that was unmatched by other controllers. Since most of us migrated from mature DJ Apps like SSL, TP/TSP, Torq, we thought that we wouldn't give up so much to get great platter performance. Since then, most of us have hung onto ITCH hoping for more features in ITCH... and it's happened: Effects, beat-gridding, warping have been introduced... and we love it.
WE JUST WANT MORE. When a competitor with a known feature-rich product gets similar platter performance (BIG assumption here), we now disregard that as a killer-feature and then wonder what IS keeping us on ITCH.
DJ Fitty is just voicing his frustration. Will it change anything for the Serato devs? No. Is it productive? I think so, because it validates feelings that a LOT of us have (myself included). The only question is "Does the S4 offer enough to warrant replacing my ITCH investment?" It's a great question.
-KLH
Dj Fitty
6:18 PM - 30 October, 2010
@ KLH +1! I am going stop using the 'ITCH SUCKS". because performance wise I have no problems. Its just I want more and it aint happening and that SUCKS.
Dj Fitty
6:21 PM - 30 October, 2010
To add I want more with out having to buy hardware every time and that SUCKS
ks
ks
dj ask
6:23 PM - 30 October, 2010
it was Numark that lured us in IMHO!
serato had the exclusive arrangement to have the NS7 work with their brand name because it was a smart move for numark to use the serato brand to boost their own name, specially in the US where its full of serato fanboys.
now when u can break the whole "serato is king" ideology and you become open to other apps to DJ with then you stop to think "wait a minute"...
the S$4 is a beast! I dont care how many times u try to be condescending with people in this forum the S4 is what it is and u cerla have raised a million arguments that get debunked all the time to justify all kinds of crazy ideas.
u keep drinking ur hatetorade while we real people with real feeling and real opinions move these business foward.
serato had the exclusive arrangement to have the NS7 work with their brand name because it was a smart move for numark to use the serato brand to boost their own name, specially in the US where its full of serato fanboys.
now when u can break the whole "serato is king" ideology and you become open to other apps to DJ with then you stop to think "wait a minute"...
the S$4 is a beast! I dont care how many times u try to be condescending with people in this forum the S4 is what it is and u cerla have raised a million arguments that get debunked all the time to justify all kinds of crazy ideas.
u keep drinking ur hatetorade while we real people with real feeling and real opinions move these business foward.
djcerla
6:25 PM - 30 October, 2010
Write it in english please.
Quote:
@ djceria it seems you have a problems with a lot a post. I checked, you have a few telling people to leave the forum. do you troll for this stuff?Write it in english please.
Dj Fitty
6:27 PM - 30 October, 2010
Write it in english please.
LOL, sorry doing my best
Quote:
Quote:
@ djceria it seems you have a problems with a lot a post. I checked, you have a few telling people to leave the forum. do you troll for this stuff?Write it in english please.
LOL, sorry doing my best
djcerla
6:28 PM - 30 October, 2010
@ dj ask
I'm not writing on NI forums about how much I dislike Traktor. And what "crazy ideas" are u refering to?
I'm not writing on NI forums about how much I dislike Traktor. And what "crazy ideas" are u refering to?
dj ask
6:30 PM - 30 October, 2010
see this is exactly what I mean. someone brings something up that bothers them and all you can do is talk about their grammar. laughing out loud at YOU!
dj ask
6:31 PM - 30 October, 2010
of course YOU ARE NOT Cerla! but other people are. those people are moving the business forward. NOT YOU. according to your own statement.
djcerla
6:31 PM - 30 October, 2010
I'm not shutting up for sure. And check your English, too.
Quote:
shut up cerla. u should be one to learn english first.I'm not shutting up for sure. And check your English, too.
dj ask
6:33 PM - 30 October, 2010
im still laughing at you ;)
btw smart ass. if you want to really understand why it is good for people to rant where they want you can watch this.
serato.com
btw smart ass. if you want to really understand why it is good for people to rant where they want you can watch this.
serato.com
djcerla
6:34 PM - 30 October, 2010
Ask yourself what have you done to move ITCH forward, before spraying shit on others.
Dj Fitty
6:37 PM - 30 October, 2010
so ceria, you would not change anything about Itch?
just paid a visit to www.djcerla.com it seems you love your ns7 and effects unit
just paid a visit to www.djcerla.com it seems you love your ns7 and effects unit
Dj Fitty
6:41 PM - 30 October, 2010
ceria you did metion Itch one time, LOL "In my 4th NS7 video, the NSFX tremolo effect is applied to cut a looped scratch sound on 1/16th and 1/32th notes, automating what is normally achieved via crossfader movements. A slight echo effect is also applied to the scratch sounds. The base song is also cut and re-built using cue points. The bass knob has been changed to a Superfilter knob via the "Filter Junkie" Eastern Egg. Made with a Numark NS7+NSFX effects module, on a 2.4 GHz Apple MacBook Pro."
I think you would use the NS7 with other software if you got the same platter performance, right?
I think you would use the NS7 with other software if you got the same platter performance, right?
djcerla
6:44 PM - 30 October, 2010
And true love is, that's why this one is the ONLY forum or site I write in. I have some pending features requests, though, while others have already been implemented (i.e. Instant start was my request).
And yes ai have a Traktor license but I've never "felt" this software. I'm a happy ITCH camper, it seems tailored on my mixing style.
And yes ai have a Traktor license but I've never "felt" this software. I'm a happy ITCH camper, it seems tailored on my mixing style.
Dj Fitty
6:49 PM - 30 October, 2010
@djceria ch ch ch ch ch ch chaaaaa ch ch ch ch c cc c chaaa. I cant get it out my mind. all that power and only one scratch. ceria can you use your left hand on the crossfader or are you stuck on one side? Its kinda of funny like my writing!
djcerla
6:52 PM - 30 October, 2010
i've started scratching on the NS7, and yes I'm stuck on one side.
dj ask
6:53 PM - 30 October, 2010
cerla why when I say move the "business foward" u read "move itch foward" ?
if it is your choice to be a "true" lover like u wish to be called for being so loyal to just serato then that is your choice but dont go telling people to leave the forums.. if they rant here is because they perhaps do wish to use serato but just think that it can be better no?
this is not the first time I see you miss read what people say, and that is a clear symptom of someone who is very hard at adapting. I could care less than posting this to you really. In the end you will jump ship like everyone else, or sink and die with the ship. (given your unconditional love"...
if it is your choice to be a "true" lover like u wish to be called for being so loyal to just serato then that is your choice but dont go telling people to leave the forums.. if they rant here is because they perhaps do wish to use serato but just think that it can be better no?
this is not the first time I see you miss read what people say, and that is a clear symptom of someone who is very hard at adapting. I could care less than posting this to you really. In the end you will jump ship like everyone else, or sink and die with the ship. (given your unconditional love"...
dj ask
6:55 PM - 30 October, 2010
fitty = was upset at lack of features
cerla = told him to "then get rid of itch"
fitty = said why? I am an itch user and wish to voice myself too!
cerla = said your english sucks
fitty = found that cerla sucks at scratching
cerla = admits it
its a draw ROFL!
cerla = told him to "then get rid of itch"
fitty = said why? I am an itch user and wish to voice myself too!
cerla = said your english sucks
fitty = found that cerla sucks at scratching
cerla = admits it
its a draw ROFL!
Dj Fitty
6:58 PM - 30 October, 2010
cerla = told him to "then get rid of itch"
fitty = said why? I am an itch user and wish to voice myself too!
cerla = said your english sucks
fitty = found that cerla sucks at scratching
cerla = admits it
its a draw ROFL!
LOL
Quote:
fitty = was upset at lack of featurescerla = told him to "then get rid of itch"
fitty = said why? I am an itch user and wish to voice myself too!
cerla = said your english sucks
fitty = found that cerla sucks at scratching
cerla = admits it
its a draw ROFL!
LOL
haze324
6:59 PM - 30 October, 2010
KLH-- man, very well put brother.
The rest of you ---- well it's all pretty funny to read!!!!
But honestly Itch does what it does well. S4 just dropped something tight on the DJ scene. No one said it was supposed to scratch like an NS7, but it does allow for scratching along with everything else.
I know the Serato team reads this forum. Why do they not jump on here and take advantage of so many current Itch users asking for more, and wanting more from their software. Instead they just freaking ignore us. And let us chase each others tales.
Say what you want about NI. But the teased a product, demo'd hit, put out a release date and met it. And their forum is manned 24/7 right now with mods and staff helping their new S4 customers. This place....
:::cricket:::
:::cricket:::
^
Fitty - LOL!!!!!
The rest of you ---- well it's all pretty funny to read!!!!
But honestly Itch does what it does well. S4 just dropped something tight on the DJ scene. No one said it was supposed to scratch like an NS7, but it does allow for scratching along with everything else.
I know the Serato team reads this forum. Why do they not jump on here and take advantage of so many current Itch users asking for more, and wanting more from their software. Instead they just freaking ignore us. And let us chase each others tales.
Say what you want about NI. But the teased a product, demo'd hit, put out a release date and met it. And their forum is manned 24/7 right now with mods and staff helping their new S4 customers. This place....
:::cricket:::
:::cricket:::
^
Fitty - LOL!!!!!
djcerla
7:02 PM - 30 October, 2010
Do you mean the Mexico City pics? It was about 4.000 people.
@ dj ask I've already jumped ship, from Traktor. My scratch sucks of course, or not, according to the vast majority of youtube comments.
@ dj ask I've already jumped ship, from Traktor. My scratch sucks of course, or not, according to the vast majority of youtube comments.
dj ask
7:05 PM - 30 October, 2010
lol I want to think im a fair man. I dont care really if your scratching is best good or bad but I wish that comments like "then sell it" would not be brought it because they are so empty and unhelpful.
I think KLH is on point too.
I think KLH is on point too.
djcerla
7:12 PM - 30 October, 2010
Empty and unhelpful just like "ITCH sucks", which is far from the truth.
dj ask
7:15 PM - 30 October, 2010
but then again. u love itch unconditionally no matter if it's features are outdated or not so...
djcerla
7:26 PM - 30 October, 2010
dj ask... I love ITCH for the features it has now. If I need a sampler, I'll bring my keyboard and my 2nd Macbook like in this setup www.facebook.com I don't need video, and when I need better FX I simply use the DJM800 fantastic effects sections (I'm on the V7s now and a DJM800 is in my technical rider).
for my needs, ITCH is a fantastic tool, the best I've ever used. It doesn't "suck" at all.
Quote:
but then again. u love itch unconditionally no matter if it's features are outdated or not so...dj ask... I love ITCH for the features it has now. If I need a sampler, I'll bring my keyboard and my 2nd Macbook like in this setup www.facebook.com I don't need video, and when I need better FX I simply use the DJM800 fantastic effects sections (I'm on the V7s now and a DJM800 is in my technical rider).
for my needs, ITCH is a fantastic tool, the best I've ever used. It doesn't "suck" at all.
Dj Fitty
7:32 PM - 30 October, 2010
dj ask... I love ITCH for the features it has now. If I need a sampler, I'll bring my keyboard and my 2nd Macbook like in this setup www.facebook.com I don't need video, and when I need better FX I simply use the DJM800 fantastic effects sections (I'm on the V7s now and a DJM800 is in my technical rider).
for my needs, ITCH is a fantastic tool, the best I've ever used. It doesn't "suck" at all.
LOL you love the hardware.
Quote:
Quote:
but then again. u love itch unconditionally no matter if it's features are outdated or not so...dj ask... I love ITCH for the features it has now. If I need a sampler, I'll bring my keyboard and my 2nd Macbook like in this setup www.facebook.com I don't need video, and when I need better FX I simply use the DJM800 fantastic effects sections (I'm on the V7s now and a DJM800 is in my technical rider).
for my needs, ITCH is a fantastic tool, the best I've ever used. It doesn't "suck" at all.
LOL you love the hardware.
djcerla
7:36 PM - 30 October, 2010
listen, I was on Final Scratch in 2004, I've then updated Traktor at every release. I love the controllers (also the VCI-300), AND the software. The waveforms, alone, make a difference AFAIK.
kraal
7:52 PM - 30 October, 2010
Dj ask. I said sell it. Not to be rude but just a response to "itch sucks". See no point in owning anything that sucks. Nothing more nothing less
nik39
7:54 PM - 30 October, 2010
if it is your choice to be a "true" lover like u wish to be called for being so loyal to just serato then that is your choice but dont go telling people to leave the forums.. if they rant here is because they perhaps do wish to use serato but just think that it can be better no?
this is not the first time I see you miss read what people say, and that is a clear symptom of someone who is very hard at adapting. I could care less than posting this to you really. In the end you will jump ship like everyone else, or sink and die with the ship. (given your unconditional love"...
Come on guys... its not the first time djcerla has proven to be a fanboy ;)
I agree that it is good to let serato know what u think of their products, u guys just need to make sure that they understany *why* you think the way you do.
"Sell it" is a lame argument. (Using this statement generigcally just shows your ignorance.) Its far more important to understand why someone is unhappy and whether this is justified or not.
My 2 cents.
Quote:
cerla why when I say move the "business foward" u read "move itch foward" ?if it is your choice to be a "true" lover like u wish to be called for being so loyal to just serato then that is your choice but dont go telling people to leave the forums.. if they rant here is because they perhaps do wish to use serato but just think that it can be better no?
this is not the first time I see you miss read what people say, and that is a clear symptom of someone who is very hard at adapting. I could care less than posting this to you really. In the end you will jump ship like everyone else, or sink and die with the ship. (given your unconditional love"...
Come on guys... its not the first time djcerla has proven to be a fanboy ;)
I agree that it is good to let serato know what u think of their products, u guys just need to make sure that they understany *why* you think the way you do.
"Sell it" is a lame argument. (Using this statement generigcally just shows your ignorance.) Its far more important to understand why someone is unhappy and whether this is justified or not.
My 2 cents.
Dj Fitty
8:00 PM - 30 October, 2010
ceria the waveform is nice and setting and erasing cues and loops on the fly is the shit! I was a Traktor user also and it took few steps to make happen on a controller when I used it. You see the same stuff I use to grip about on Traktor forum has been turned into a product that addressed most of my grips. I had tons of grips on the Torq forum lets see what happens there. Now my grips are with Itch cause thats what I work with and hopefully they will change. but when a company dont think there shit stinks cause of fanboys there is no need to change anything are respond because of the the fanboys handling everything
haze324
8:11 PM - 30 October, 2010
Dj Fitty --- would you be interested in knowing what is in Itch 2.0? When Serato thinks they plan on releasing it? And maybe hear more about the 4 channel controller from Numark?
Do you think that if you knew this stuff and it was all the things missing from Itch - do you think you would stick around and wait instead of looking at getting an S4?
....because I would like to know! But they don't tell me shit around here :)
Do you think that if you knew this stuff and it was all the things missing from Itch - do you think you would stick around and wait instead of looking at getting an S4?
....because I would like to know! But they don't tell me shit around here :)
haze324
8:30 PM - 30 October, 2010
Me too man.
Hold on --- let me see what the Serato Mod's have posted on this thread to instil faith in their user community. Oh yeah, nothing. They haven't told us anything.
Hold on --- let me see what the Serato Mod's have posted on this thread to instil faith in their user community. Oh yeah, nothing. They haven't told us anything.
zaguama
9:09 PM - 30 October, 2010
the youtube vids of the S4 keep coming up and so far im very impressed but at least from my point of view looks like its not going to be a small learning curve.
There's quite a lot of stuff going on at the same time with the S4, for my music genre and style ITCH controllers definitely suit me better but you guys can't blindly deny that the S4 is a beast for the EDM scene, i definitely see a bright future for this controller, specially for the features vs retail price.
A positive thing might be a drop on some of the ITCH controller's price.
There's quite a lot of stuff going on at the same time with the S4, for my music genre and style ITCH controllers definitely suit me better but you guys can't blindly deny that the S4 is a beast for the EDM scene, i definitely see a bright future for this controller, specially for the features vs retail price.
A positive thing might be a drop on some of the ITCH controller's price.
kraal
9:48 PM - 30 October, 2010
notice my only complaint is the scratching i thing there are a lot of good things going on there too
kraal
1:42 AM - 31 October, 2010
so how much was posted on NI website before the s4 was announced and released?
bigdik magee
3:32 PM - 31 October, 2010
About 18 months ago, ITCH offered performance that was unmatched by other controllers. Since most of us migrated from mature DJ Apps like SSL, TP/TSP, Torq, we thought that we wouldn't give up so much to get great platter performance. Since then, most of us have hung onto ITCH hoping for more features in ITCH... and it's happened: Effects, beat-gridding, warping have been introduced... and we love it.
+1 Voice of reason
WE JUST WANT MORE. When a competitor with a known feature-rich product gets similar platter performance (BIG assumption here), we now disregard that as a killer-feature and then wonder what IS keeping us on ITCH.
DJ Fitty is just voicing his frustration. Will it change anything for the Serato devs? No. Is it productive? I think so, because it validates feelings that a LOT of us have (myself included). The only question is "Does the S4 offer enough to warrant replacing my ITCH investment?" It's a great question.
-KLH
Quote:
Hey DJFitty, IIRC, we were both on the Xponent a while back trying to get a controller that had platter performance that was good enough to be similar to a TT, device expandability, AND other features that would allow us to grow (like sampling, video, "warping").About 18 months ago, ITCH offered performance that was unmatched by other controllers. Since most of us migrated from mature DJ Apps like SSL, TP/TSP, Torq, we thought that we wouldn't give up so much to get great platter performance. Since then, most of us have hung onto ITCH hoping for more features in ITCH... and it's happened: Effects, beat-gridding, warping have been introduced... and we love it.
+1 Voice of reason
WE JUST WANT MORE. When a competitor with a known feature-rich product gets similar platter performance (BIG assumption here), we now disregard that as a killer-feature and then wonder what IS keeping us on ITCH.
DJ Fitty is just voicing his frustration. Will it change anything for the Serato devs? No. Is it productive? I think so, because it validates feelings that a LOT of us have (myself included). The only question is "Does the S4 offer enough to warrant replacing my ITCH investment?" It's a great question.
-KLH
seratosnatch
5:01 PM - 31 October, 2010
IMOP The Xone DX is better.. a solid, uncluttered, controller, with sound that pumps.
haze324
5:12 PM - 31 October, 2010
Im a fan of touch sensitve jogs. That was a deal breaker for me with the DX. I agree though the layout of the DX is nice. If it weren't for the jogs I would've gotten one a long time ago.
kraal
5:36 PM - 31 October, 2010
agree on the jogs --- seems to me the itch controllers all have something the other one needs --- still not one perfect itch controller
Quote:
Im a fan of touch sensitve jogs. That was a deal breaker for me with the DX. I agree though the layout of the DX is nice. If it weren't for the jogs I would've gotten one a long time ago.agree on the jogs --- seems to me the itch controllers all have something the other one needs --- still not one perfect itch controller
haze324
7:04 PM - 31 October, 2010
^^
+100
If numark delivers something DX, S4, etc. type with the same soundcard of the NS7, and great platter control like the NS7 but with jogs, and similar build quality, that thing could end up pretty dame sweet. The second part will be how it interfaces with any added features Itch may have planned.
+100
If numark delivers something DX, S4, etc. type with the same soundcard of the NS7, and great platter control like the NS7 but with jogs, and similar build quality, that thing could end up pretty dame sweet. The second part will be how it interfaces with any added features Itch may have planned.
bigdik magee
11:49 PM - 31 October, 2010
Im a fan of touch sensitve jogs. That was a deal breaker for me with the DX. I agree though the layout of the DX is nice. If it weren't for the jogs I would've gotten one a long time ago.
agree on the jogs --- seems to me the itch controllers all have something the other one needs --- still not one perfect itch controller
Dually agreed. I've owned all kinds... Started on Technics vinyl, bought CDJ's in addition because they WERE the "standard" and I sold them within 6 months of owning them due to the feel.
I heard the S4 has magnets... I'm not hating on the S4... hell... I'll probably buy one anyway, but the NS7 is really something special right now in the industry.
Quote:
Quote:
Im a fan of touch sensitve jogs. That was a deal breaker for me with the DX. I agree though the layout of the DX is nice. If it weren't for the jogs I would've gotten one a long time ago.
agree on the jogs --- seems to me the itch controllers all have something the other one needs --- still not one perfect itch controller
Dually agreed. I've owned all kinds... Started on Technics vinyl, bought CDJ's in addition because they WERE the "standard" and I sold them within 6 months of owning them due to the feel.
I heard the S4 has magnets... I'm not hating on the S4... hell... I'll probably buy one anyway, but the NS7 is really something special right now in the industry.
haze324
3:16 AM - 1 November, 2010
^ I agree it is --- if your style is to play on two turntables and a 2 channel mixer.
(i have an NS7, so I know what you mean)
But, alot of folks don't play on that though.
(i have an NS7, so I know what you mean)
But, alot of folks don't play on that though.
Konix
4:18 AM - 1 November, 2010
Bought the S4 yesterday, pretty impressed so far... i48.photobucket.com
haze324
5:20 AM - 1 November, 2010
Konix....I respect your input.
Can you give us a quick review?
How do you rate the jogs. Too small? Can you compare them to the VCI-300?
I think from the vids and pics the rest of the controller is on par with the quality from the X1. How are you diggin the software features.
Can you give us a quick review?
How do you rate the jogs. Too small? Can you compare them to the VCI-300?
I think from the vids and pics the rest of the controller is on par with the quality from the X1. How are you diggin the software features.
Ragman
6:29 AM - 1 November, 2010
Thanks for posting that pic Konix. Hmmm. It's actually bigger then I imagined.
zaguama
1:42 PM - 1 November, 2010
not really, hmm it surprised me its almost the same height as the kontrol X1.
haze324
1:48 PM - 1 November, 2010
actually the base is the same hight as the X1 with the knobs, but the S4 with knobs and jogs, is about 2 inches taller.
This is from a post on DJTT where one of the mods measured it. It's light, just very wide. I'm having a really hard time finding a good bag to fit it in.
This is from a post on DJTT where one of the mods measured it. It's light, just very wide. I'm having a really hard time finding a good bag to fit it in.
zaguama
3:07 PM - 1 November, 2010
Just thought some of you might be interested on some DEMOs of the S4 by EAN Golden:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
wadup
3:38 PM - 1 November, 2010
Seems pretty cool, but for my style of djing it doesn't match... Seems like all he was doing was pressing buttons.
KLH
3:39 PM - 1 November, 2010
Having the X1 seems redundant. Do you agree?
I'm interested to know if the jogs are as high-performance as the VCI-300's jogs. Also from what I can see from videos, the sound quality of the scratching sounds from TPS4 seems to be subpar when compared to ITCH.
-KLH
Quote:
Bought the S4 yesterday, pretty impressed so far...Having the X1 seems redundant. Do you agree?
I'm interested to know if the jogs are as high-performance as the VCI-300's jogs. Also from what I can see from videos, the sound quality of the scratching sounds from TPS4 seems to be subpar when compared to ITCH.
-KLH
KLH
3:43 PM - 1 November, 2010
Perhaps, but it'd be great to augment a DJing session with a performance like that. This is what I've envisioned for the ITCH hardware if/when a multi-cell sampler feature becomes available.
-KLH
Quote:
Seems pretty cool, but for my style of djing it doesn't match... Seems like all he was doing was pressing buttons.Perhaps, but it'd be great to augment a DJing session with a performance like that. This is what I've envisioned for the ITCH hardware if/when a multi-cell sampler feature becomes available.
-KLH
zaguama
3:47 PM - 1 November, 2010
yeah doesnt match my style and genre either but this is just an amazing tool for pure controllerism and electronic scene for sure.
i dont even use all the features of ITCH, i wouldnt even know where to start with that S4, its just sooo much stuff available at your hands that i'd be looking at it like wtf what should i do with this lol.
the on the fly loop recorder seems interesting, the sample banks, and the rotary knob loop selection was a smart choice.
i dont even use all the features of ITCH, i wouldnt even know where to start with that S4, its just sooo much stuff available at your hands that i'd be looking at it like wtf what should i do with this lol.
the on the fly loop recorder seems interesting, the sample banks, and the rotary knob loop selection was a smart choice.
djcerla
3:55 PM - 1 November, 2010
Cool stuff indeed.
But complicated. And way too much clutter for my taste, an obvious tradeoff for the features set.
But complicated. And way too much clutter for my taste, an obvious tradeoff for the features set.
kraal
4:35 PM - 1 November, 2010
the photos look better than the vids.... even tho it is alot of stuff going on i see i would like the options even if you dont use it all the time it still would be a nice 'i have this if i want it' jog wheel look bigger than i thought
Dj Fitty
4:40 PM - 1 November, 2010
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
judging by the the first video I see you can customize the mapping of the controller because he is using the left jog to control some of the effects.
Quote:
Just thought some of you might be interested on some DEMOs of the S4 by EAN Golden:Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
judging by the the first video I see you can customize the mapping of the controller because he is using the left jog to control some of the effects.
kraal
4:41 PM - 1 November, 2010
judging by the the first video I see you can customize the mapping of the controller because he is using the left jog to control some of the effects.
of course you can this thing was invented by him :)
Quote:
judging by the the first video I see you can customize the mapping of the controller because he is using the left jog to control some of the effects.
of course you can this thing was invented by him :)
kraal
4:53 PM - 1 November, 2010
foot pedal--- so now the difference is it seems this is more of a performance controller and ITCH controllers are more standard. maybe the bridge will change that
Rob Pointer
4:54 PM - 1 November, 2010
no, he just had input into some of the features/functionality and played as a consultant to the dev process. It was invented by NI's team.
kraal
5:01 PM - 1 November, 2010
i was exaggeration thus the smile :)
Quote:
no, he just had input into some of the features/functionality and played as a consultant to the dev process. It was invented by NI's team.i was exaggeration thus the smile :)
zaguama
5:19 PM - 1 November, 2010
well yeah of course it can be customized, This is not locked to 1:1 mapping, this is still traktor and you can do whatever you want with the mapping.
kraal
5:22 PM - 1 November, 2010
i should be able to get my hands on a demo unit in the next few weeks to try out.... not at home but at my local guitar center
haze324
5:30 PM - 1 November, 2010
same here. Probably more stuff than I would need or even want. Too much and I get confused. I would never use the jogs for effects (and I used to rock a VCI-100).
There are some trade offs with the customized mappings though. The best way to customize the mapping is to ADD to the current one. This way you keep all the functionality. One of them being the LED display of loop size only works with the native map. So the foot pedal is just a shift button for mapping that runs along side of the native one.
For me that's all too much. I want some good effects (and I don't need 25 of them). 4 decks, or 2 and some samplers, tight jog response (enough to do some mid-level scratches), good sound card, good led display, good tactile feel, etc. Nothing fancy. Traktor is still missing elastic beatgrids though.
Also the NI forum has had few posts already with folks running entry level Dell's and getting audio drops. So while us Mac boys are good to go - NI will have some bugs to iron out.
For a controller --- this thing really did just raise the bar, and 899.00 man thats gonna be a tough one to beat.
Quote:
the photos look better than the vids.... even tho it is alot of stuff going on i see i would like the options even if you dont use it all the time it still would be a nice 'i have this if i want it' jog wheel look bigger than i thoughtsame here. Probably more stuff than I would need or even want. Too much and I get confused. I would never use the jogs for effects (and I used to rock a VCI-100).
There are some trade offs with the customized mappings though. The best way to customize the mapping is to ADD to the current one. This way you keep all the functionality. One of them being the LED display of loop size only works with the native map. So the foot pedal is just a shift button for mapping that runs along side of the native one.
For me that's all too much. I want some good effects (and I don't need 25 of them). 4 decks, or 2 and some samplers, tight jog response (enough to do some mid-level scratches), good sound card, good led display, good tactile feel, etc. Nothing fancy. Traktor is still missing elastic beatgrids though.
Also the NI forum has had few posts already with folks running entry level Dell's and getting audio drops. So while us Mac boys are good to go - NI will have some bugs to iron out.
For a controller --- this thing really did just raise the bar, and 899.00 man thats gonna be a tough one to beat.
haze324
5:31 PM - 1 November, 2010
ps. didn't really dig Ean's vids. I've seen better ones from him. Guess thats just not my style. I enjoyed Shiftee's a bit more...they were simpler :)
zaguama
6:52 PM - 1 November, 2010
so here is the djtechtools review, pretty on point i'd say and very objective. you'd think it would be partialized since ean was one of the designers but they already have shown some of its flaws.
i gotta be honest after reading it i feel i need to go to college to get schooled on this controller :$.
www.djtechtools.com
i gotta be honest after reading it i feel i need to go to college to get schooled on this controller :$.
www.djtechtools.com
bigdik magee
7:42 PM - 1 November, 2010
Traktor is on saaaaalllleee..... until the 31st. Ouch.
I want it all...
I want it all...
bigdik magee
7:45 PM - 1 November, 2010
Wait.... are they including the top tier product with the S4? Looks like it...
KLH
8:29 PM - 1 November, 2010
If the X4 were 50% off, I would already have it. At $900, I have to think about it.
-KLH
Quote:
Wait.... are they including the top tier product with the S4? Looks like it...If the X4 were 50% off, I would already have it. At $900, I have to think about it.
-KLH
dj ask
8:30 PM - 1 November, 2010
Wait.... are they including the top tier product with the S4? Looks like it...
If the X4 were 50% off, I would already have it. At $900, I have to think about it.
-KLH
LMAO
Quote:
Quote:
Wait.... are they including the top tier product with the S4? Looks like it...
If the X4 were 50% off, I would already have it. At $900, I have to think about it.
-KLH
LMAO
kraal
8:56 PM - 1 November, 2010
traktor is on sale cause they are discontinuing it for a new version---
dj ask
9:24 PM - 1 November, 2010
not necessarily and yes the new traktor will have the S4 like sampler. however they are discounting the whole thing including the audio card. sl vs traktor sl can compete. itch vs traktor.. sorry no competition from itch yet.
Quote:
traktor is on sale cause they are discontinuing it for a new version---not necessarily and yes the new traktor will have the S4 like sampler. however they are discounting the whole thing including the audio card. sl vs traktor sl can compete. itch vs traktor.. sorry no competition from itch yet.
dj ask
9:25 PM - 1 November, 2010
u will ONLY have to pay for the upgrade to the new version so it is still a bargain
kraal
10:01 PM - 1 November, 2010
sorry no competition from itch yet.
yet :) --- sometime first isnt best
Quote:
Quote:
sorry no competition from itch yet.
yet :) --- sometime first isnt best
thebeatworx
10:04 PM - 1 November, 2010
yet :) --- sometime first isnt best
When it comes to virgins it's pretty cool...
Quote:
yet :) --- sometime first isnt best
When it comes to virgins it's pretty cool...
KLH
10:39 PM - 1 November, 2010
You can keep your "first timers," one great night = 6months of stalking by them. (AHEM) I think that we should go back on topic.
I hope that the S4 has a minor bug so that someidiot genius sells it and I can pick one up for $500 used - you know, Xponent prices.
-KLH
Quote:
When it comes to virgins it's pretty cool...You can keep your "first timers," one great night = 6months of stalking by them. (AHEM) I think that we should go back on topic.
I hope that the S4 has a minor bug so that some
-KLH
KLH
10:40 PM - 1 November, 2010
^ The NS7FX is my main unit, but I should have a backup, don't 'cha think?
-KLH
-KLH
Rebelguy
11:07 PM - 1 November, 2010
Isn't itch already direct competition for Traktor? They went first with the NS7, VCI-300 and DX. Traktor fired back with the S4.
Quote:
sorry no competition from itch yet.Isn't itch already direct competition for Traktor? They went first with the NS7, VCI-300 and DX. Traktor fired back with the S4.
djcerla
11:19 PM - 1 November, 2010
Giving hardware manufacturers another solid reason to choose ITCH over Traktor for their new controllers ;-) as nobody in his right mind would buy a non-NI Traktor controller, after the S4.
Quote:
Traktor fired back with the S4.Giving hardware manufacturers another solid reason to choose ITCH over Traktor for their new controllers ;-) as nobody in his right mind would buy a non-NI Traktor controller, after the S4.
zaguama
11:22 PM - 1 November, 2010
SOOOOOO NOW THAT THE S4 CAME OUT AND POOPED ON THE XONE:DX, ARE WE EXPECTING THE NI VERSION OF THE N7S?? who knows, they were working on this controller for a couple of years they might be working on some motorized platters controller ever since the ns7 came out.
KLH
11:26 PM - 1 November, 2010
I dunno. The S4 just has the newness halo right now. I want to know about the longer-term issues now: stability, support, and sound-quality. Those are actually more important than the "wow" factor that seems to be happening now.
-KLH
-KLH
djcerla
11:26 PM - 1 November, 2010
The NS7 did not come out of the blue. It came after years of Numark know-how about turntables. Also, vinyl emulation is a niche, the vast majority of DJs don't care. So the answer is a solid NO.
dj ask
11:31 PM - 1 November, 2010
the S4 has traktors stability behind it, the support is resounding around forums, and the sound quality is standard of all the NI products which is also great.
KLH
11:46 PM - 1 November, 2010
So as it stands right now, here's my take on the high-performance controller world:
ITCH Advantages:
* NS7 and V7 have superior platters
* V7 can be used with any mixer
* Software updates are free
* Bridge is coming
ITCH Disadvantages:
* No sampler
* Xone: DX has inferior jogs to the S4
* Effects aren't as easy to manipulate or are limited in parameters
* No MIDI mapping function
Traktor S4 Advantages
* S4 has touch sensitive jog dials
* Supports MIDI Mapping
* Has two samplers
* Has excellent effects
* Less expensive than NS7, V7 setup, and Xone: DX
Traktor S4 Disadvantages:
* New, quality/stability isn't time tested
* Has four decks OR two 5-cell samplers
* UI and S4 are BOTH cluttered
* Software updates cost MONEY
* Pene doesn't like Native Instruments
Well, since Traktor S4 has 5 disadvantages, I declare ITCH the winner... for now.
-KLH
ITCH Advantages:
* NS7 and V7 have superior platters
* V7 can be used with any mixer
* Software updates are free
* Bridge is coming
ITCH Disadvantages:
* No sampler
* Xone: DX has inferior jogs to the S4
* Effects aren't as easy to manipulate or are limited in parameters
* No MIDI mapping function
Traktor S4 Advantages
* S4 has touch sensitive jog dials
* Supports MIDI Mapping
* Has two samplers
* Has excellent effects
* Less expensive than NS7, V7 setup, and Xone: DX
Traktor S4 Disadvantages:
* New, quality/stability isn't time tested
* Has four decks OR two 5-cell samplers
* UI and S4 are BOTH cluttered
* Software updates cost MONEY
* Pene doesn't like Native Instruments
Well, since Traktor S4 has 5 disadvantages, I declare ITCH the winner... for now.
-KLH
dj ask
11:53 PM - 1 November, 2010
wait if u look at "your" breakdown the S4 has also 5 ADVANTAGES against Itch's 4 ;)
Rob Pointer
11:58 PM - 1 November, 2010
don't forget the software advantages vs. disadvantages as well since you can't really decouple the two.
In this area, Itch wins because of the variable beatgrids, colored waveforms, and better playlist management.
In this area, Itch wins because of the variable beatgrids, colored waveforms, and better playlist management.
djcerla
12:05 AM - 2 November, 2010
Unless you run a couple of V7s on a DJM2000 of course :-)
and you can also plug in a much more versatile soft sampler with a full fledged 2 octave keyboard for a massive WOW effect on your audience :-)
So hard to beat the V7 guys!
Quote:
better effects.Unless you run a couple of V7s on a DJM2000 of course :-)
and you can also plug in a much more versatile soft sampler with a full fledged 2 octave keyboard for a massive WOW effect on your audience :-)
So hard to beat the V7 guys!
Rebelguy
1:02 AM - 2 November, 2010
Traktor S4 Disadvantages:
* Has four decks OR two 5-cell samplers
-KLH
Are you sure about this? DJtechtools review states the following:
Traktor Pro S4’s decks A and B are always set as Track Decks, whereas decks C and D can be each configured as a Track Deck, Sample Deck or Live Input to play audio from the two analog inputs. You can for instance have three Track Decks and one Sample Deck, or two Track Decks and two Live Inputs, etc.
Quote:
Traktor S4 Disadvantages:
* Has four decks OR two 5-cell samplers
-KLH
Are you sure about this? DJtechtools review states the following:
Traktor Pro S4’s decks A and B are always set as Track Decks, whereas decks C and D can be each configured as a Track Deck, Sample Deck or Live Input to play audio from the two analog inputs. You can for instance have three Track Decks and one Sample Deck, or two Track Decks and two Live Inputs, etc.
Rebelguy
1:05 AM - 2 November, 2010
Can you use both at the same time? I was thinking about going this route.
Quote:
true. I have two of them. :)Can you use both at the same time? I was thinking about going this route.
kraal
1:34 AM - 2 November, 2010
i still say the battle comes down to features... right not traktor is winning.
the ITCH controllers are winning NUMARK line and vci-300 -- xone i personally dont like the jogs and the denon line is a swing and a miss
so what will itch respond with?
the ITCH controllers are winning NUMARK line and vci-300 -- xone i personally dont like the jogs and the denon line is a swing and a miss
so what will itch respond with?
KLH
2:34 AM - 2 November, 2010
* Has four decks OR two 5-cell samplers
Are you sure about this?
A more precise way of saying this is switchable decks 3 and 4 with either a virtual deck, sampler, or external input.
-KLH
Quote:
Quote:
Traktor S4 Disadvantages:* Has four decks OR two 5-cell samplers
Are you sure about this?
A more precise way of saying this is switchable decks 3 and 4 with either a virtual deck, sampler, or external input.
-KLH
Kanario Dj Producer
3:28 AM - 2 November, 2010
People, people and more people! lol1
I just got the S4! I tell ya ! I went to Guitar Center here in Boston to get some cables Saturday October 30th. And I just decided to ask about the S4! Voala! they had four of them in the basement, one of the salesmen told me they were cleared to sell them since the 29th!
I gotta tell ya! this controller is sick! whoever said you cannot scratch with this thing is wrong! The feel of the jog wheel is incredible, much better than the vci 300, although they are smaller! I don't know how the pulled it off, but the jog feels solid and has the right amount of resistance! Unit is very light and portable. You can have different views of the software on the screen! One thing I want Serato to implement in Itch is that when you hit the browse bottom on the S4, the library window gets bigger and when you load the song, it goes back to normal1
The effects are sick and the sampler, ergonomics is really good! some people were complaining about the jog wheel being on the far end of the unit, I didn't feel the need to have them closer even when I was into heavy scratching! The way the bottoms are laid out is very intuitive!
I'm keeping my VCI 300 because I want to have the best of both worlds, I plan to use them both for different gigs and I will continue to report to you! To tell you the truth I'm liking this new toy a lot!
Forgot to mention that I only paid $900 for all of this functionality! That's Gansta!
I just got the S4! I tell ya ! I went to Guitar Center here in Boston to get some cables Saturday October 30th. And I just decided to ask about the S4! Voala! they had four of them in the basement, one of the salesmen told me they were cleared to sell them since the 29th!
I gotta tell ya! this controller is sick! whoever said you cannot scratch with this thing is wrong! The feel of the jog wheel is incredible, much better than the vci 300, although they are smaller! I don't know how the pulled it off, but the jog feels solid and has the right amount of resistance! Unit is very light and portable. You can have different views of the software on the screen! One thing I want Serato to implement in Itch is that when you hit the browse bottom on the S4, the library window gets bigger and when you load the song, it goes back to normal1
The effects are sick and the sampler, ergonomics is really good! some people were complaining about the jog wheel being on the far end of the unit, I didn't feel the need to have them closer even when I was into heavy scratching! The way the bottoms are laid out is very intuitive!
I'm keeping my VCI 300 because I want to have the best of both worlds, I plan to use them both for different gigs and I will continue to report to you! To tell you the truth I'm liking this new toy a lot!
Forgot to mention that I only paid $900 for all of this functionality! That's Gansta!
Ragman
5:41 AM - 2 November, 2010
How does the MC6000 stacks up against the S4 ??? Seems as though they have the same feature set, but with Denon winning on the hardware side.
haze324
6:11 AM - 2 November, 2010
Rag - why do you say it wins hardware wise?
Does it work as an external mixer? I think one draw back will be the jogs won't work as well as TPro does only supports 7-bit midi at the jogs.
Does it work as an external mixer? I think one draw back will be the jogs won't work as well as TPro does only supports 7-bit midi at the jogs.
Rebelguy
7:12 AM - 2 November, 2010
I think Denon is actually the big loser with this unit in terms of working with Serato & Native-Instruments.
There will be no native support of Scratchlive as far as the jog wheels and the resolution of the jogwheels won't be that great with Traktor. Also add to the fact that you still have to buy an SL-1 or SL-3 for Scratchlive and TS Pro for Traktor. The layout seems like a nightmare as well.
The only positive note is that you can use it as a regular mixer.
Quote:
How does the MC6000 stacks up against the S4 ??? Seems as though they have the same feature set, but with Denon winning on the hardware side.I think Denon is actually the big loser with this unit in terms of working with Serato & Native-Instruments.
There will be no native support of Scratchlive as far as the jog wheels and the resolution of the jogwheels won't be that great with Traktor. Also add to the fact that you still have to buy an SL-1 or SL-3 for Scratchlive and TS Pro for Traktor. The layout seems like a nightmare as well.
The only positive note is that you can use it as a regular mixer.
haze324
7:19 AM - 2 November, 2010
^ that's how I see it as well. So even if you buy or have TP your using last years software. Unless you pick this up to run VDJ with it?? Either way, I'd take an S4 at 899.00.
Ragman
8:44 AM - 2 November, 2010
Hardware meaning the MC6000 has balanced XLR outputs and 2 mic feeds. But yeah, that's the answer I was looking for as far as if it had native support with any DVS, coupled with high speed MIDI. Although some DJs might find it attractive to use the open DVS like SSL(video), TSP and VDJ(video) with a controller of this portability and features. Many mobile DJs in my area are not really into scratching so the high-speed MIDI platters is not a deal breaker. Seems to me that the MC6000 direct competition is the AA VMS4. Especially with the VMS4 lower price point.
Rebelguy
8:47 AM - 2 November, 2010
Is the XLR thing really that big of a deal? The S4 does have balanced output. They are just 1/4". Adapters are available.
Quote:
Hardware meaning the MC6000 has balanced XLR outputs and 2 mic feeds. But yeah, that's the answer I was looking for as far as if it had native support with any DVS, coupled with high speed MIDI. Although some DJs might find it attractive to use the open DVS like SSL(video), TSP and VDJ(video) with a controller of this portability and features. Many mobile DJs in my area are not really into scratching so the high-speed MIDI platters is not a deal breaker. Seems to me that the MC6000 direct competition is the AA VMS4. Especially with the VMS4 lower price point.Is the XLR thing really that big of a deal? The S4 does have balanced output. They are just 1/4". Adapters are available.
KLH
12:03 PM - 2 November, 2010
The only advantage of XLR in this case are locking connectors. Sound-wise, they're identical.
-KLH
Quote:
Is the XLR thing really that big of a deal? The S4 does have balanced output. They are just 1/4". Adapters are available.The only advantage of XLR in this case are locking connectors. Sound-wise, they're identical.
-KLH
bigdik magee
2:59 PM - 2 November, 2010
I'm tired of this crap... I think I'm just gonna buy an S4 and write my own make my own opinion.
KLH-
Need a backup? How about an APC-40. Bridge/Itch-NS7/APC-40 will p0wn that S4 (if it ever happens).
KLH-
Need a backup? How about an APC-40. Bridge/Itch-NS7/APC-40 will p0wn that S4 (if it ever happens).
Kanario Dj Producer
5:23 PM - 2 November, 2010
One advantage of XLR is that you can use very long cables with minimal signal loss! And they won't become antennas!
XLR are cleaner, less likely to add noise to the signal!
XLRs have 3 cables inside, + and - for the signal and a ground, which is good for eliminating noise from poor filtered power supplies, and electrical outlets! I know you've heard that humming noise before!
XLR are cleaner, less likely to add noise to the signal!
XLRs have 3 cables inside, + and - for the signal and a ground, which is good for eliminating noise from poor filtered power supplies, and electrical outlets! I know you've heard that humming noise before!
Rebelguy
6:10 PM - 2 November, 2010
Actually what you are describing is a balanced connection. That can be achieved through an xlr connector or through a TRS 1/4" connector like the one present on the Kontrol S4.
djcerla
6:11 PM - 2 November, 2010
+1
Quote:
Actually what you are describing is a balanced connection. That can be achieved through an xlr connector or through a TRS 1/4" connector like the one present on the Kontrol S4.+1
Ragman
9:17 PM - 2 November, 2010
Hardware meaning the MC6000 has balanced XLR outputs and 2 mic feeds. But yeah, that's the answer I was looking for as far as if it had native support with any DVS, coupled with high speed MIDI. Although some DJs might find it attractive to use the open DVS like SSL(video), TSP and VDJ(video) with a controller of this portability and features. Many mobile DJs in my area are not really into scratching so the high-speed MIDI platters is not a deal breaker. Seems to me that the MC6000 direct competition is the AA VMS4. Especially with the VMS4 lower price point.
Is the XLR thing really that big of a deal? The S4 does have balanced output. They are just 1/4". Adapters are available.
Yeh I know about the S4 having bal 1/4. But the MC6000 have both bal xlr out, bal 1/4 out and 2 rca outs (one for rec). That coupled with 2 mic inputs is well thought out IMO for a portable controller. Just worth pointing out because to some of us DJs having a wide array of I/Os like that are pretty important.
Quote:
Quote:
Hardware meaning the MC6000 has balanced XLR outputs and 2 mic feeds. But yeah, that's the answer I was looking for as far as if it had native support with any DVS, coupled with high speed MIDI. Although some DJs might find it attractive to use the open DVS like SSL(video), TSP and VDJ(video) with a controller of this portability and features. Many mobile DJs in my area are not really into scratching so the high-speed MIDI platters is not a deal breaker. Seems to me that the MC6000 direct competition is the AA VMS4. Especially with the VMS4 lower price point.
Is the XLR thing really that big of a deal? The S4 does have balanced output. They are just 1/4". Adapters are available.
Yeh I know about the S4 having bal 1/4. But the MC6000 have both bal xlr out, bal 1/4 out and 2 rca outs (one for rec). That coupled with 2 mic inputs is well thought out IMO for a portable controller. Just worth pointing out because to some of us DJs having a wide array of I/Os like that are pretty important.
Rebelguy
10:01 PM - 2 November, 2010
Hardware meaning the MC6000 has balanced XLR outputs and 2 mic feeds. But yeah, that's the answer I was looking for as far as if it had native support with any DVS, coupled with high speed MIDI. Although some DJs might find it attractive to use the open DVS like SSL(video), TSP and VDJ(video) with a controller of this portability and features. Many mobile DJs in my area are not really into scratching so the high-speed MIDI platters is not a deal breaker. Seems to me that the MC6000 direct competition is the AA VMS4. Especially with the VMS4 lower price point.
Is the XLR thing really that big of a deal? The S4 does have balanced output. They are just 1/4". Adapters are available.
Yeh I know about the S4 having bal 1/4. But the MC6000 have both bal xlr out, bal 1/4 out and 2 rca outs (one for rec). That coupled with 2 mic inputs is well thought out IMO for a portable controller. Just worth pointing out because to some of us DJs having a wide array of I/Os like that are pretty important.
True they are important but in all honest given the price point of where the Denon is I expect the audio quality to be decent but not amazing. If I were doing any type of event that would need all that routing then I would simply plug either unit into a dedicated mixing board and call it a day.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hardware meaning the MC6000 has balanced XLR outputs and 2 mic feeds. But yeah, that's the answer I was looking for as far as if it had native support with any DVS, coupled with high speed MIDI. Although some DJs might find it attractive to use the open DVS like SSL(video), TSP and VDJ(video) with a controller of this portability and features. Many mobile DJs in my area are not really into scratching so the high-speed MIDI platters is not a deal breaker. Seems to me that the MC6000 direct competition is the AA VMS4. Especially with the VMS4 lower price point.
Is the XLR thing really that big of a deal? The S4 does have balanced output. They are just 1/4". Adapters are available.
Yeh I know about the S4 having bal 1/4. But the MC6000 have both bal xlr out, bal 1/4 out and 2 rca outs (one for rec). That coupled with 2 mic inputs is well thought out IMO for a portable controller. Just worth pointing out because to some of us DJs having a wide array of I/Os like that are pretty important.
True they are important but in all honest given the price point of where the Denon is I expect the audio quality to be decent but not amazing. If I were doing any type of event that would need all that routing then I would simply plug either unit into a dedicated mixing board and call it a day.
Ragman
10:28 PM - 2 November, 2010
Just pointing out some obvious advantages from a hardware standpoint. As far as the sound quality we'll just have to wait and see. I want to get a portable controller, but right now I'm still neutral until the dust settle with these featured laden first gen controllers. They always look like a slice of heaven in the promos but the real deal is the first beta-testers buyers and what they eventually find.
KLH
10:47 PM - 2 November, 2010
I think that the important thing to remember when eyeing the S4 is that other controllers paved the way wayyy before the S4. I'll actually go on a limb to say that ITCH made it possible for NI to even introduce the S4.
Brief history lesson:
The VCI-100 and Xponent made DJs (and manufacturers) realize that the CDJ/Mixer/CDJ setup could be emulated and accepted by DJs. Even more importantly, everyone realized that CD playback could be dropped without sacrificing anything... but tight jog/platter performance.
For those who bought into these controllers (myself included), we wanted more... higher performance, more features, and more stability. Enter ITCH with the VCI-300 and NS7. After changing our pants, we bought it. And we were happy.
Shortly after, DJs (and manufacturers other than Serato) realized that controllers are the future of DJing with a curious split on implementations: You can have rotating platters OR portability. Trying to kill six birds with one stone, out came the V7... and I fear that that will be the last rotating platter device that we'll see. Anyways, the Xone: DX came out and it became the de facto form factor standard for controllers moving forward.
Advance the clock a bit, you now have multiple controllers with the same form-factor competing for our dollars: DN-MC6000, VMS4, S4, and Xone: DX, which are bundled with Virtual DJ, Virtual DJ, Traktor S4, and ITCH respectively. All of these controllers can control four decks with their matched software. Some even offer high-performance platters (that allow scratching).
IMHO, an unintended side affect of these controllers is that the previous generation controllers (VCI-300, Xponent, VCI-100, NS7, V7) are now basically obsolete - unless you want to scratch then there's life yet in the VCI-300, NS7, and V7. That's not to say that the latter products are dead, it just means that they're now niche products... like the SLDZ-1200 and CDJs to a lesser extent.
So there you have it, ITCH raised the bar and now needs to raise it again. Gotta love progress...
-KLH
Brief history lesson:
The VCI-100 and Xponent made DJs (and manufacturers) realize that the CDJ/Mixer/CDJ setup could be emulated and accepted by DJs. Even more importantly, everyone realized that CD playback could be dropped without sacrificing anything... but tight jog/platter performance.
For those who bought into these controllers (myself included), we wanted more... higher performance, more features, and more stability. Enter ITCH with the VCI-300 and NS7. After changing our pants, we bought it. And we were happy.
Shortly after, DJs (and manufacturers other than Serato) realized that controllers are the future of DJing with a curious split on implementations: You can have rotating platters OR portability. Trying to kill six birds with one stone, out came the V7... and I fear that that will be the last rotating platter device that we'll see. Anyways, the Xone: DX came out and it became the de facto form factor standard for controllers moving forward.
Advance the clock a bit, you now have multiple controllers with the same form-factor competing for our dollars: DN-MC6000, VMS4, S4, and Xone: DX, which are bundled with Virtual DJ, Virtual DJ, Traktor S4, and ITCH respectively. All of these controllers can control four decks with their matched software. Some even offer high-performance platters (that allow scratching).
IMHO, an unintended side affect of these controllers is that the previous generation controllers (VCI-300, Xponent, VCI-100, NS7, V7) are now basically obsolete - unless you want to scratch then there's life yet in the VCI-300, NS7, and V7. That's not to say that the latter products are dead, it just means that they're now niche products... like the SLDZ-1200 and CDJs to a lesser extent.
So there you have it, ITCH raised the bar and now needs to raise it again. Gotta love progress...
-KLH
dj ask
11:02 PM - 2 November, 2010
KLH
I disagree. Gemini had the idea of needleless turntables way before serato even announced itch. Gemini is not a popular brand hence why it didnt catch very well. Serato on the other hand is popular and accepted thanks to SL so..
I disagree. Gemini had the idea of needleless turntables way before serato even announced itch. Gemini is not a popular brand hence why it didnt catch very well. Serato on the other hand is popular and accepted thanks to SL so..
dj ask
11:03 PM - 2 November, 2010
controllers have been used for a LONG time way before serato even thought of it. u were just not looking.
KLH
11:10 PM - 2 November, 2010
I never said that other controllers didn't exist. My point was that the VCI-100 and Xponent broke the mold in terms of being "acceptable" controllers instead of being "just toys." While I did read that several DVS users still consider those controllers "toys," they were (IMHO) the first controllers to have a SIGNIFICANT following unto themselves.
-KLH
-KLH
dj ask
11:18 PM - 2 November, 2010
I always have issues with people calling other people's tools "toys", but I don't care anymore. While these folks call useful tools "toys" I am ripping it with them. ;) so yea I take them ignoring those tools to further myself and take their jobs. :D hehehe
I mean how many have called the NS7 and VCI "toys"
I mean how many have called the NS7 and VCI "toys"
KLH
11:23 PM - 2 November, 2010
I'm with you, bro, 100%. I used to laugh when haters' mouths dropped when I rocked the Xponent. WHO CARES what a tool LOOKS LIKE, it's how it helps you that matters.
Anyways, all this gushing over the S4 is getting to be over-the-top. I'm eyeing it because it has a sampler that I'd love to play with. I sincerely hope that the ITCH devs can make something similar for ITCH.
While the Bridge is cool, you need Ableton Live to run it. I didn't buy the NS7 and ITCH to get into Live. This isn't a complaint. It's a hope that a native sampler will appear in ITCH.
-KLH
Anyways, all this gushing over the S4 is getting to be over-the-top. I'm eyeing it because it has a sampler that I'd love to play with. I sincerely hope that the ITCH devs can make something similar for ITCH.
While the Bridge is cool, you need Ableton Live to run it. I didn't buy the NS7 and ITCH to get into Live. This isn't a complaint. It's a hope that a native sampler will appear in ITCH.
-KLH
djcerla
11:30 PM - 2 November, 2010
Why not a couple of V7s + soft sampler (if sampler is what you need?). There are freeware softsamplers, too.
You can control it via computer keyboard or usb keyboard, use the internal soundcard and plug it into a 3rd mixer in, you're done.
Why buying a S4 for that ridicolous 4 slot sampler when you can have full native sampler power? It's a mystery to me.
You can control it via computer keyboard or usb keyboard, use the internal soundcard and plug it into a 3rd mixer in, you're done.
Why buying a S4 for that ridicolous 4 slot sampler when you can have full native sampler power? It's a mystery to me.
Rob Pointer
11:43 PM - 2 November, 2010
it is the the whole all-in-one approach.
Besides, the S4 has a pretty nifty feature of recording loops from your tracks or output on the fly.
Harder to do when you kludge everything together by rolling your own.
Let's see what Itch 2.0 and the unreleased Numark 4 channel controller looks like and then I think we will be able to compare apples to apples IMO.
Besides, the S4 has a pretty nifty feature of recording loops from your tracks or output on the fly.
Harder to do when you kludge everything together by rolling your own.
Let's see what Itch 2.0 and the unreleased Numark 4 channel controller looks like and then I think we will be able to compare apples to apples IMO.
djcerla
11:49 PM - 2 November, 2010
Ok so let's separe for a moment features really useful (a huge, fully modulable sampler bank always at your fingertips, for example) from odd features that look great on demo videos but will be actually used by <0.5% of customers, like on-the
Quote:
Besides, the S4 has a pretty nifty feature of recording loops from your tracks or output on the fly.Ok so let's separe for a moment features really useful (a huge, fully modulable sampler bank always at your fingertips, for example) from odd features that look great on demo videos but will be actually used by <0.5% of customers, like on-the
KLH
1:15 AM - 3 November, 2010
I have the NS7 on Windows. As such, Windows can only use ONE ASIO device at a time, which means that I'll need ANOTHER sound interface, but it'll have horrible latency because I'll have to use it as a Windows system default sound device.
As you said, the only way to get a sampler is to use an external program and ANOTHER sound interface AND a compact mixer. That is frankly quite a kludge.
Yes, I could sell the NS7 to get two V7s, a four channel mixer, and use the secondary sound interface directly into the mixer, but that too, is a kludge.
I'm not sold that the S4 is the setup that Jesus would use, but that sampler is awefully tempting. I just love my rotating platters and vinyl feel.
What's a brother to do?
-KLH
Quote:
Why not a couple of V7s + soft sampler (if sampler is what you need?). There are freeware softsamplers, too.I have the NS7 on Windows. As such, Windows can only use ONE ASIO device at a time, which means that I'll need ANOTHER sound interface, but it'll have horrible latency because I'll have to use it as a Windows system default sound device.
As you said, the only way to get a sampler is to use an external program and ANOTHER sound interface AND a compact mixer. That is frankly quite a kludge.
Yes, I could sell the NS7 to get two V7s, a four channel mixer, and use the secondary sound interface directly into the mixer, but that too, is a kludge.
I'm not sold that the S4 is the setup that Jesus would use, but that sampler is awefully tempting. I just love my rotating platters and vinyl feel.
What's a brother to do?
-KLH
zaguama
1:33 AM - 3 November, 2010
how much will it cost me a soft sampler plus 2 v7 plus a mixer that has all the effects that traktor has (and same quality) and lets not forget about the portability of all the previously mentioned devices?
if its less than 899 and as portable as the S4 im in (and this is just a justification of why the S4 is not necessary just for the sampler).
if its less than 899 and as portable as the S4 im in (and this is just a justification of why the S4 is not necessary just for the sampler).
Kanario Dj Producer
1:33 AM - 3 November, 2010
One thing I dig about the sampler in the S4 is the fact that i can make select how long i want the sample to be! 4 beats, 8, .... then i just press the button corresponding to the slot where I want the sample to be and Voala'!!! 4 perfect bars, and it starts playing in sync with whatever is playing! even when I disengage the sampler it continues to play in sync! Not only that! every sample is saved in my library automatically for later use!
It is not the same as those dumb sampler we know!
Another thing I like is: when I start the S4 software with the controller already connected, it is ready to use like in 2 seconds! With Itch I have to wait longer to have it ready! This is something that I would like Serato to improve upon Itch!
It is not the same as those dumb sampler we know!
Another thing I like is: when I start the S4 software with the controller already connected, it is ready to use like in 2 seconds! With Itch I have to wait longer to have it ready! This is something that I would like Serato to improve upon Itch!
KLH
1:35 AM - 3 November, 2010
The portability is a plus - although it seems to be on the edge of being too heavy and large (I've heard).
The high-performance platters AND sampler are the table stakes. The neat features are the switchable four decks, samplers, and external inputs - that allows expandability. Speaking of expandability, the MIDI mapping features (carried over from TP) REALLY allows controller expandability.
The loop recorder is something that I see growing into - but not used heavily at first... just like all of those effects.
Now what would I miss - besides my sweet motorized platters with vinyl? I've read that TPSP4's beat-grid isn't doesn't support warping, so that's a step backward. The scratching sounds also don't seem as "authentic" as ITCH's, but that might just be how the vids were recorded.
The downsides that I can see right off the bat is that the mic input and gain knob are on the BACK... uhhh why? Also, there's no AUX-IN for a backup sound source. I've read that NI expects DJs to plug their backup into the Deck D's external source... which would be fine until Traktor goes down. At that point, the DJ is supposed to turn the "deck D source" switch (which located on the BACK!!!!) to THRU. What a pain.
-KLH
Quote:
Ok so let's separe for a moment features really useful ... from odd features that look great on demo videos but will be actually used by <0.5% of customersThe portability is a plus - although it seems to be on the edge of being too heavy and large (I've heard).
The high-performance platters AND sampler are the table stakes. The neat features are the switchable four decks, samplers, and external inputs - that allows expandability. Speaking of expandability, the MIDI mapping features (carried over from TP) REALLY allows controller expandability.
The loop recorder is something that I see growing into - but not used heavily at first... just like all of those effects.
Now what would I miss - besides my sweet motorized platters with vinyl? I've read that TPSP4's beat-grid isn't doesn't support warping, so that's a step backward. The scratching sounds also don't seem as "authentic" as ITCH's, but that might just be how the vids were recorded.
The downsides that I can see right off the bat is that the mic input and gain knob are on the BACK... uhhh why? Also, there's no AUX-IN for a backup sound source. I've read that NI expects DJs to plug their backup into the Deck D's external source... which would be fine until Traktor goes down. At that point, the DJ is supposed to turn the "deck D source" switch (which located on the BACK!!!!) to THRU. What a pain.
-KLH
KLH
1:37 AM - 3 November, 2010
ITCH comes up fast for me, but I have to wait for the iTunes library to be imported. Otherwise, I'd bet that ITCH would just come up and be ready within 2 seconds or so. (I use an NS7FX.) While inconvenient, I wouldn't call this a deal-breaker.
-KLH
Quote:
Another thing I like is: when I start the S4 software with the controller already connected, it is ready to use like in 2 seconds! With Itch I have to wait longer to have it ready! This is something that I would like Serato to improve upon Itch!ITCH comes up fast for me, but I have to wait for the iTunes library to be imported. Otherwise, I'd bet that ITCH would just come up and be ready within 2 seconds or so. (I use an NS7FX.) While inconvenient, I wouldn't call this a deal-breaker.
-KLH
Rebelguy
1:42 AM - 3 November, 2010
Why is the 2 v7s idea even being pitched? You need to buy two of those, run two computers, get a 4 channel mixer, and a soft sampler. Plus I don't think Itch's effects are in the same league as NIs. Four $899 I can deal with a few limitations for all the benfits, portability and ease of setup.
Either way the S4 seems to have overtaken the VCI and Xone DX.
If NI brings video on their next update things might get pretty interesting. If I remember correctly they had a job posting for a programmer with video experience.
Either way the S4 seems to have overtaken the VCI and Xone DX.
If NI brings video on their next update things might get pretty interesting. If I remember correctly they had a job posting for a programmer with video experience.
Kanario Dj Producer
1:58 AM - 3 November, 2010
The downsides that I can see right off the bat is that the mic input and gain knob are on the BACK... uhhh why? Also, there's no AUX-IN for a backup sound source. I've read that NI expects DJs to plug their backup into the Deck D's external source... which would be fine until Traktor goes down. At that point, the DJ is supposed to turn the "deck D source" switch (which located on the BACK!!!!) to THRU. What a pain.
-KLH
Same thing with the VCI 300, the THRU is in the back along with the volume control!
I can tell ya! the S4 beats any controller right now on the market! I have it and I have the VCI which is an unfair comparison because it was the first controller for ITCH, but I've used the NS7 and the A&H. In my opinion the S4 is the most complete controller out there right now! It has the most features in one package at a very attractive price point! If I'm not mistaken I paid almost the same for the VCI when it first came out!
Quote:
Quote:
The downsides that I can see right off the bat is that the mic input and gain knob are on the BACK... uhhh why? Also, there's no AUX-IN for a backup sound source. I've read that NI expects DJs to plug their backup into the Deck D's external source... which would be fine until Traktor goes down. At that point, the DJ is supposed to turn the "deck D source" switch (which located on the BACK!!!!) to THRU. What a pain.
-KLH
Same thing with the VCI 300, the THRU is in the back along with the volume control!
I can tell ya! the S4 beats any controller right now on the market! I have it and I have the VCI which is an unfair comparison because it was the first controller for ITCH, but I've used the NS7 and the A&H. In my opinion the S4 is the most complete controller out there right now! It has the most features in one package at a very attractive price point! If I'm not mistaken I paid almost the same for the VCI when it first came out!
KLH
2:07 AM - 3 November, 2010
So please tell me, is the scratching sound "artificial" on the S4? Is the platter performance as tight as the VCI-300?
-KLH
-KLH
kraal
3:10 AM - 3 November, 2010
-KLH
plus 1
Quote:
So please tell me, is the scratching sound "artificial" on the S4? Is the platter performance as tight as the VCI-300?-KLH
plus 1
haze324
3:25 AM - 3 November, 2010
One guy on the main DJ forum said the control was better than the 300, but the jogs feel smaller. Thats the only person with a 300 i've read a review from. Maybe he was excited. I just got mine shipped to me yesterday. Next week I'll give a full honest review and compare it to the 300 and the NS7.
kraal
3:26 AM - 3 November, 2010
but it all comes down to if they actually scratch or just like the feel
thebeatworx
3:57 AM - 3 November, 2010
No controller is gonna feel like a turntable... but the s4 videos show that pretty advanced scratches can be done...
I already own ableton and an apc40 so that's the only reason I'm being patient with itch and not jumping on the s4...
I already own ableton and an apc40 so that's the only reason I'm being patient with itch and not jumping on the s4...
kraal
4:25 AM - 3 November, 2010
.
i have not seen advanced scratches yet really
Quote:
No controller is gonna feel like a turntable... but the s4 videos show that pretty advanced scratches can be done....
i have not seen advanced scratches yet really
Ragman
5:11 AM - 3 November, 2010
I disagree. For me the NS7 / V7 not only feel like turntables, they are turntables. No doubt.
Just an updated technology to the traditional t/t with tonearm and needle. I even did some test with my cuz who's as old skool as they come. Using a TTX and the V7 I recorded 5 different things from both units and asked him to guess which was the V7 or the TTX. He got only 2 right. 2 weeks later he went to GC and bought an NS7.
Quote:
No controller is gonna feel like a turntable...I disagree. For me the NS7 / V7 not only feel like turntables, they are turntables. No doubt.
Just an updated technology to the traditional t/t with tonearm and needle. I even did some test with my cuz who's as old skool as they come. Using a TTX and the V7 I recorded 5 different things from both units and asked him to guess which was the V7 or the TTX. He got only 2 right. 2 weeks later he went to GC and bought an NS7.
thebeatworx
5:42 AM - 3 November, 2010
No controller is gonna feel like a turntable... but the s4 videos show that pretty advanced scratches can be done...
.
i have not seen advanced scratches yet really
Ok... Then what do you consider to be advanced? Like autobahns? I'm not saying every scratch can be done... i.e. I think it's difficult to do hydroplanes for example on jogs... but the ability for crabs to be laid over skribbles or chirps and not sound like garbage on a controller is pretty good im my opinion... (and yes, I know the ITCH controllers can do this too...)
Just an updated technology to the traditional t/t with tonearm and needle. I even did some test with my cuz who's as old skool as they come. Using a TTX and the V7 I recorded 5 different things from both units and asked him to guess which was the V7 or the TTX. He got only 2 right. 2 weeks later he went to GC and bought an NS7.
Well... I would argue that sound quality and actual feel are two different things... I'm not putting down the NS7... I'm simply saying that it feels different... The platters are smaller for God's sake! Therefore the arc in which the hand must move on a 12" platter is physically different than a 7" one...
Quote:
Quote:
No controller is gonna feel like a turntable... but the s4 videos show that pretty advanced scratches can be done...
.
i have not seen advanced scratches yet really
Ok... Then what do you consider to be advanced? Like autobahns? I'm not saying every scratch can be done... i.e. I think it's difficult to do hydroplanes for example on jogs... but the ability for crabs to be laid over skribbles or chirps and not sound like garbage on a controller is pretty good im my opinion... (and yes, I know the ITCH controllers can do this too...)
Quote:
disagree. For me the NS7 / V7 not only feel like turntables, they are turntables. No doubt.Just an updated technology to the traditional t/t with tonearm and needle. I even did some test with my cuz who's as old skool as they come. Using a TTX and the V7 I recorded 5 different things from both units and asked him to guess which was the V7 or the TTX. He got only 2 right. 2 weeks later he went to GC and bought an NS7.
Well... I would argue that sound quality and actual feel are two different things... I'm not putting down the NS7... I'm simply saying that it feels different... The platters are smaller for God's sake! Therefore the arc in which the hand must move on a 12" platter is physically different than a 7" one...
Ragman
6:45 AM - 3 November, 2010
Ok now you're talking about something altogether different . Platter size (12" vs 7") has nothing to do with turntable authenticity. Vinyl records come in both of those sizes and a 7" record can be scratched on a traditional t/t just like a 12" record. But if 12" is what floats your both then substitute the NS7/V7 for a CDX. Same concept really. And again, I think that the CDX is a real turntable, just not in the traditional sense.
thebeatworx
7:30 AM - 3 November, 2010
Ah... I can't argue with you there... I do own a CDX... And it is still the best vinyl emulation CD deck out there IMO.
Quote:
Ok now you're talking about something altogether different . Platter size (12" vs 7") has nothing to do with turntable authenticity. Vinyl records come in both of those sizes and a 7" record can be scratched on a traditional t/t just like a 12" record. But if 12" is what floats your both then substitute the NS7/V7 for a CDX. Same concept really. And again, I think that the CDX is a real turntable, just not in the traditional sense.Ah... I can't argue with you there... I do own a CDX... And it is still the best vinyl emulation CD deck out there IMO.
djcerla
8:51 AM - 3 November, 2010
Dunno about you, but I mainly play in clubs, and 99% of the clubs here have a DJM800 or a Xone:92 mixer, so it's very easy to plug 3 discrete channels in. On a DJM800, for example, you have a superfilter/quick FX knob for each channel, plus a set of widely praised, good sounding FX. Plus the onboard ITCH stuff... I have to say this setup feels and sounds top notch, sorry S4.
Asio: of course, I am on a Mac, and its superior audio architecture makes possible to have a softsampler running in the background at acceptable latency; I use samplers in clubs since 1993 (EPS16-plus), and I can tell you that a sampler is very useful only if you can load in a full set of samples (not 4!); also, I've routed the modwheel to pitch, so it's a breeze to syncronize to tempo.
BTW I know how it feels to salivate for something, and there's much to salivate on the S4; also you're on the NS7, so what I've just described is a no-no (for example, you'll need another headphone to audition samples).
But a 2xV7 + softsampler + keyboard setup on a DJM800 is more powerful, sounds better, looks way more professional and is more secure (thanks to V7 redundancy) than S4; and I intentionally left the Bridge out of the equation as it's not available yet: after there will be no story.
Quote:
As you said, the only way to get a sampler is to use an external program and ANOTHER sound interface AND a compact mixer. That is frankly quite a kludgeDunno about you, but I mainly play in clubs, and 99% of the clubs here have a DJM800 or a Xone:92 mixer, so it's very easy to plug 3 discrete channels in. On a DJM800, for example, you have a superfilter/quick FX knob for each channel, plus a set of widely praised, good sounding FX. Plus the onboard ITCH stuff... I have to say this setup feels and sounds top notch, sorry S4.
Asio: of course, I am on a Mac, and its superior audio architecture makes possible to have a softsampler running in the background at acceptable latency; I use samplers in clubs since 1993 (EPS16-plus), and I can tell you that a sampler is very useful only if you can load in a full set of samples (not 4!); also, I've routed the modwheel to pitch, so it's a breeze to syncronize to tempo.
BTW I know how it feels to salivate for something, and there's much to salivate on the S4; also you're on the NS7, so what I've just described is a no-no (for example, you'll need another headphone to audition samples).
But a 2xV7 + softsampler + keyboard setup on a DJM800 is more powerful, sounds better, looks way more professional and is more secure (thanks to V7 redundancy) than S4; and I intentionally left the Bridge out of the equation as it's not available yet: after there will be no story.
Kanario Dj Producer
12:04 PM - 3 November, 2010
I see some guys here are talking about the S4 based only on literature and videos they've seen online!
-KLH
Like I said I have both the S4 and the VCI with me! To answer your question! the S4 jog feel more stable, it has a tighter more precise response and it feels heavier even though the jog wheel is smaller. I can pull more precise, sharper and more complex scrath combinations than with the VCI, and I credit that not to the size of jog wheel but the way the S4 creates resistance with electromagnetic force. the VCI rely on screws to make the platters heavy and that make them feel unnatural.
I'm new to Traktor. One reason I was away I think it was because of midi mapping! I wanted a more natural transition from regular electonic equipment! but with the S4 makes midi mapping looks easier! It comes fully mapped like Itch products but I can still change it to my liking, I mapped the jog wheel to control other parts of the sofware, I use it to adjust the Gater effect in Traktor.
The S4 just gave me new tools, that makes me so much creative! I sound a lot different with this controller!!!! The ability to load 8 samples, or play 3 tracks and 4 samples, or all 4 tracks! plus all of the effects in sync!
Quote:
So please tell me, is the scratching sound "artificial" on the S4? Is the platter performance as tight as the VCI-300?-KLH
Like I said I have both the S4 and the VCI with me! To answer your question! the S4 jog feel more stable, it has a tighter more precise response and it feels heavier even though the jog wheel is smaller. I can pull more precise, sharper and more complex scrath combinations than with the VCI, and I credit that not to the size of jog wheel but the way the S4 creates resistance with electromagnetic force. the VCI rely on screws to make the platters heavy and that make them feel unnatural.
I'm new to Traktor. One reason I was away I think it was because of midi mapping! I wanted a more natural transition from regular electonic equipment! but with the S4 makes midi mapping looks easier! It comes fully mapped like Itch products but I can still change it to my liking, I mapped the jog wheel to control other parts of the sofware, I use it to adjust the Gater effect in Traktor.
The S4 just gave me new tools, that makes me so much creative! I sound a lot different with this controller!!!! The ability to load 8 samples, or play 3 tracks and 4 samples, or all 4 tracks! plus all of the effects in sync!
haze324
1:04 PM - 3 November, 2010
But a 2xV7 + softsampler + keyboard setup on a DJM800 is more powerful, sounds better, looks way more professional and is more secure (thanks to V7 redundancy) than S4; and I intentionally left the Bridge out of the equation as it's not available yet: after there will be no story.
I think this is the other way around. I think a standard Mixer like a DJM-800 + two decks, either CDJ's or V7's, etc, plus a sampler. Is not the "alternative" to the S4.
I think the S4 is the alternative to not having all that gear and providing it or a good amount of at a much cheaper price and in one smaller more portable solution. So for the guys that have a traditional set up, the S4 says "hey I can do all of that, some just as good, some not quite as good, and some better for 899.00 and I fit in a large backpack"
Quote:
But a 2xV7 + softsampler + keyboard setup on a DJM800 is more powerful, sounds better, looks way more professional and is more secure (thanks to V7 redundancy) than S4; and I intentionally left the Bridge out of the equation as it's not available yet: after there will be no story.
I think this is the other way around. I think a standard Mixer like a DJM-800 + two decks, either CDJ's or V7's, etc, plus a sampler. Is not the "alternative" to the S4.
I think the S4 is the alternative to not having all that gear and providing it or a good amount of at a much cheaper price and in one smaller more portable solution. So for the guys that have a traditional set up, the S4 says "hey I can do all of that, some just as good, some not quite as good, and some better for 899.00 and I fit in a large backpack"
Kanario Dj Producer
1:35 PM - 3 November, 2010
But a 2xV7 + softsampler + keyboard setup on a DJM800 is more powerful, sounds better, looks way more professional and is more secure (thanks to V7 redundancy) than S4; and I intentionally left the Bridge out of the equation as it's not available yet: after there will be no story.
I think this is the other way around. I think a standard Mixer like a DJM-800 + two decks, either CDJ's or V7's, etc, plus a sampler. Is not the "alternative" to the S4.
I think the S4 is the alternative to not having all that gear and providing it or a good amount of at a much cheaper price and in one smaller more portable solution. So for the guys that have a traditional set up, the S4 says "hey I can do all of that, some just as good, some not quite as good, and some better for 899.00 and I fit in a large backpack"
+1
Quote:
Quote:
But a 2xV7 + softsampler + keyboard setup on a DJM800 is more powerful, sounds better, looks way more professional and is more secure (thanks to V7 redundancy) than S4; and I intentionally left the Bridge out of the equation as it's not available yet: after there will be no story.
I think this is the other way around. I think a standard Mixer like a DJM-800 + two decks, either CDJ's or V7's, etc, plus a sampler. Is not the "alternative" to the S4.
I think the S4 is the alternative to not having all that gear and providing it or a good amount of at a much cheaper price and in one smaller more portable solution. So for the guys that have a traditional set up, the S4 says "hey I can do all of that, some just as good, some not quite as good, and some better for 899.00 and I fit in a large backpack"
+1
Rebelguy
2:52 PM - 3 November, 2010
But a 2xV7 + softsampler + keyboard setup on a DJM800 is more powerful, sounds better, looks way more professional and is more secure (thanks to V7 redundancy) than S4; and I intentionally left the Bridge out of the equation as it's not available yet: after there will be no story.
I think this is the other way around. I think a standard Mixer like a DJM-800 + two decks, either CDJ's or V7's, etc, plus a sampler. Is not the "alternative" to the S4.
I think the S4 is the alternative to not having all that gear and providing it or a good amount of at a much cheaper price and in one smaller more portable solution. So for the guys that have a traditional set up, the S4 says "hey I can do all of that, some just as good, some not quite as good, and some better for 899.00 and I fit in a large backpack"
+1
Quote:
Quote:
But a 2xV7 + softsampler + keyboard setup on a DJM800 is more powerful, sounds better, looks way more professional and is more secure (thanks to V7 redundancy) than S4; and I intentionally left the Bridge out of the equation as it's not available yet: after there will be no story.
I think this is the other way around. I think a standard Mixer like a DJM-800 + two decks, either CDJ's or V7's, etc, plus a sampler. Is not the "alternative" to the S4.
I think the S4 is the alternative to not having all that gear and providing it or a good amount of at a much cheaper price and in one smaller more portable solution. So for the guys that have a traditional set up, the S4 says "hey I can do all of that, some just as good, some not quite as good, and some better for 899.00 and I fit in a large backpack"
+1
djcerla
3:18 PM - 3 November, 2010
To each Dj, its own weapon. I'm only wondering why you are writing these praises on Serato forum instead Native Instruments' one.
haze324
3:19 PM - 3 November, 2010
because competion is often motivation....
We want something like this for Itch.
We want something like this for Itch.
haze324
3:24 PM - 3 November, 2010
I don't know if the message has been passed. Serato hasn't said much to us in response to any of our requiest or bitching. So i guess not?
nik39
3:27 PM - 3 November, 2010
This thread is about the S4. So why should someone write praises to a different forum? It is *on topic* here on *this forum*.
Quote:
To each Dj, its own weapon. I'm only wondering why you are writing these praises on Serato forum instead Native Instruments' one.This thread is about the S4. So why should someone write praises to a different forum? It is *on topic* here on *this forum*.
djcerla
3:32 PM - 3 November, 2010
Really? And what does the S4 has to do with "ITCH general discussion"? It doesn't run ITCH, so it's off-topic.
nik39
3:36 PM - 3 November, 2010
It is a similar product, one which competes with some of the Itch hardware. So it is damned well on topic.
No matter how much you dislike it: The Serato forums have always been open for discussions and comparisons with other similar products.
Plus this stupid fanboyism does not help anyone. Open your eyes and mind. See what's happening at other places. Competition (and the discussion of competiting products) is only good for us - the customers. So I really don't understand why you're getting your panties in a bunch.
No matter how much you dislike it: The Serato forums have always been open for discussions and comparisons with other similar products.
Plus this stupid fanboyism does not help anyone. Open your eyes and mind. See what's happening at other places. Competition (and the discussion of competiting products) is only good for us - the customers. So I really don't understand why you're getting your panties in a bunch.
djcerla
3:36 PM - 3 November, 2010
The right forum area for a S4 thread is "General DJ discussion" --> serato.com
djcerla
3:39 PM - 3 November, 2010
FYI I'll receive the S4 in a few days for a review, as I've received the DX and other non-ITCH controllers. I know very well what's happening in other places, but the right place for this topic is not the ITCH forum.
Quote:
Plus this stupid fanboyism does not help anyone. Open your eyes and mind. See what's happening at other places. Competition (and the discussion of competiting products) is only good for us - the customers. So I really don't understand why you're getting your panties in a bunch.FYI I'll receive the S4 in a few days for a review, as I've received the DX and other non-ITCH controllers. I know very well what's happening in other places, but the right place for this topic is not the ITCH forum.
KLH
3:43 PM - 3 November, 2010
This is a valid question. There's a lot of curiosity in the S4 from users of ITCH and potential buyers on the fence. I thought that having this thread in the ITCH section seemed appropriate. [If not, mods, move the thread to where it should be.]
Stating the obvious, it should be clear to ANY reader that:
* There's nothing wrong with ITCH and the hardware (excluding minor bug fixes, of course)
* The S4 is "new" (and competes directly with the Xone:DX) so there's excitement about it
* Traktor, the bundled software with the S4, DOES differ from ITCH - some features are better and others aren't
* We are fully AWARE that this is an ITCH forum. I haven't seen an entry that disrespects ITCH - and hopefully no one will - because ITCH has raised the bar on the DJ scene and competitors are now chasing it
-KLH
Quote:
I'm only wondering why you are writing these praises on Serato forum instead Native Instruments' one.This is a valid question. There's a lot of curiosity in the S4 from users of ITCH and potential buyers on the fence. I thought that having this thread in the ITCH section seemed appropriate. [If not, mods, move the thread to where it should be.]
Stating the obvious, it should be clear to ANY reader that:
* There's nothing wrong with ITCH and the hardware (excluding minor bug fixes, of course)
* The S4 is "new" (and competes directly with the Xone:DX) so there's excitement about it
* Traktor, the bundled software with the S4, DOES differ from ITCH - some features are better and others aren't
* We are fully AWARE that this is an ITCH forum. I haven't seen an entry that disrespects ITCH - and hopefully no one will - because ITCH has raised the bar on the DJ scene and competitors are now chasing it
-KLH
bigdik magee
3:49 PM - 3 November, 2010
I'm hopeful that this discussion will lead to Serato putting in some of these features. I think it's necessary to have these discussions... probably on both sites.
Rebelguy
3:50 PM - 3 November, 2010
Why do some people feel so threatened by a thread about the S4?
Why does it bother you so much? You don' have to read it or reply.
Quote:
Really? And what does the S4 has to do with "ITCH general discussion"? It doesn't run ITCH, so it's off-topic.Why does it bother you so much? You don' have to read it or reply.
kraal
3:50 PM - 3 November, 2010
i see nothing wrong with this post here.... if you dont think it belongs the dont respond
@Kanario Dj Producer thanks for your post about the jogs--- while i may seen like i was arguing that it can scratch i was more interested in what was the difference and it makes since
@Kanario Dj Producer thanks for your post about the jogs--- while i may seen like i was arguing that it can scratch i was more interested in what was the difference and it makes since
damehype
3:51 PM - 3 November, 2010
+1 Damn, move this thread already. Long overdue
Quote:
The right forum area for a S4 thread is "General DJ discussion" --> serato.com+1 Damn, move this thread already. Long overdue
djcerla
3:51 PM - 3 November, 2010
nik39,
"stupid fanboysm" is not an expression that complies with #1 rule of this forum. I'm not a ITCH "fanboy" (for example I bashed the DX in my magazine review while I think I will write a very positive one on the S4). I'm a happy camper, not a "fanboy", and there is a world of a difference.
KLH,
your thoughts are always very balanced; what I dislike is not the topic per se, but reading stuff like "Serato is lazy" or "the platform is dead", which is far from the truth.
"stupid fanboysm" is not an expression that complies with #1 rule of this forum. I'm not a ITCH "fanboy" (for example I bashed the DX in my magazine review while I think I will write a very positive one on the S4). I'm a happy camper, not a "fanboy", and there is a world of a difference.
KLH,
your thoughts are always very balanced; what I dislike is not the topic per se, but reading stuff like "Serato is lazy" or "the platform is dead", which is far from the truth.
Rob Pointer
4:07 PM - 3 November, 2010
I think the S4 (as well as the combo for Itch w/ the Bridge) is the replacement for Ableton Live Djs moreso than a true replacement for Itch or TSP by itself.
These days you can really rock an original set of material in a way that was pretty much the domain of Ableton Live. With Itch + Bridge (eventually) and S4 (now), you can move to that platform as a live performer in a lot of ways and more simple to pull off.
These days you can really rock an original set of material in a way that was pretty much the domain of Ableton Live. With Itch + Bridge (eventually) and S4 (now), you can move to that platform as a live performer in a lot of ways and more simple to pull off.
nik39
4:09 PM - 3 November, 2010
Stupid fanboyism in general. I can't remember having you called "stupid fanboy". So what are you trying to achieve with waving the yellow "rule #1"-card?
No, you have proven multiple times that you *are* a fanboy. I could dig up enough quotes from you which will prove that.
From the history the General DJ discussions area is more geared towards Scratch Live, whilw the Itch Forum is geared more towards ITch and covers also general DJing topics.
Even YOU post non itch related topics into the Itch area, or do you have an explanation for this thread (just an example!) serato.com started by you:
I'm currently looking for rap/ragga vocals to be included in new productions; audio tracks must be professionally recorded. Feel free to send me demos via private message!
Thanx
What does it have to do with Itch?
Also (since you're so anal about getting stuff in the right forum): Why are you posting bug reports in the general Itch discussions area constantly? If you have any issues you should post in the correct Itch HELP subforums.
You should not throw with stones if you're sitting in the glass house.
Quote:
"stupid fanboysm" is not an expression that complies with #1 rule of this forum.Stupid fanboyism in general. I can't remember having you called "stupid fanboy". So what are you trying to achieve with waving the yellow "rule #1"-card?
Quote:
I'm not a ITCH "fanboy" (for example I bashed the DX in my magazine review while I think I will write a very positive one on the S4). I'm a happy camper, not a "fanboy", and there is a world of a difference.No, you have proven multiple times that you *are* a fanboy. I could dig up enough quotes from you which will prove that.
Quote:
The right forum area for a S4 thread is "General DJ discussion" --> serato.comFrom the history the General DJ discussions area is more geared towards Scratch Live, whilw the Itch Forum is geared more towards ITch and covers also general DJing topics.
Even YOU post non itch related topics into the Itch area, or do you have an explanation for this thread (just an example!) serato.com started by you:
Quote:
I see that many of the DJs on the forum are into the hip hop scene, so maybe someone ccould be interested:I'm currently looking for rap/ragga vocals to be included in new productions; audio tracks must be professionally recorded. Feel free to send me demos via private message!
Thanx
What does it have to do with Itch?
Also (since you're so anal about getting stuff in the right forum): Why are you posting bug reports in the general Itch discussions area constantly? If you have any issues you should post in the correct Itch HELP subforums.
You should not throw with stones if you're sitting in the glass house.
djcerla
4:11 PM - 3 November, 2010
your thoughts are always very balanced; what I dislike is not the topic per se, but reading stuff like "Serato is lazy" or "the platform is dead", which is far from the truth.
clear now?
Quote:
KLH,your thoughts are always very balanced; what I dislike is not the topic per se, but reading stuff like "Serato is lazy" or "the platform is dead", which is far from the truth.
clear now?
djcerla
4:15 PM - 3 November, 2010
because bugs that crash your system, or corrupt files are important news for all ITCH users, AFAIK
Quote:
Why are you posting bug reports in the general Itch discussions area constantly? If you have any issues you should post in the correct Itch HELP subforums..because bugs that crash your system, or corrupt files are important news for all ITCH users, AFAIK
KLH
4:18 PM - 3 November, 2010
Agreed. Serato is FAR from lazy and the platform is NOWHERE NEAR DEAD. If Serato announces something new with ITCH (a new controller, future sampler, release date of the Bridge, or - cringe - video), DJs would be seriously torn between ITCH and Traktor.
That being said, the philosophy of the 1:1 mapping is clearly going to be tested now.
-KLH
That being said, the philosophy of the 1:1 mapping is clearly going to be tested now.
-KLH
djcerla
4:19 PM - 3 November, 2010
and that's all good.
Quote:
That being said, the philosophy of the 1:1 mapping is clearly going to be tested now.and that's all good.
nik39
4:23 PM - 3 November, 2010
Man, stop backpeddling, and stay on the subject for a second.
Why are you posting bug reports in the general Itch discussions area constantly? If you have any issues you should post in the correct Itch HELP subforums..
because bugs that crash your system, or corrupt files are important news for all ITCH users, AFAIK
But this is the Genral Itch area. Not my or your dump place to collect bug reports. Bug reports should go through the official route - that is either by notifying Serato, or by posting in the help section. You should know that. And I know you know that.
Maybe it is Serato's task to keep users informed about "important news for all ITCH users". They have a "Known Issues" section.
Quote:
Quote:
Why are you posting bug reports in the general Itch discussions area constantly? If you have any issues you should post in the correct Itch HELP subforums..
because bugs that crash your system, or corrupt files are important news for all ITCH users, AFAIK
But this is the Genral Itch area. Not my or your dump place to collect bug reports. Bug reports should go through the official route - that is either by notifying Serato, or by posting in the help section. You should know that. And I know you know that.
Maybe it is Serato's task to keep users informed about "important news for all ITCH users". They have a "Known Issues" section.
djcerla
4:36 PM - 3 November, 2010
And this YOUR opinion. My opinion is that critical bugs have to be on front page.
And you know very well I post bug reports in other forum areas.
And you know very well I post bug reports in other forum areas.
kraal
4:42 PM - 3 November, 2010
wow really???
so how about that s4 thingy???
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
so how about that s4 thingy???
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
nik39
4:47 PM - 3 November, 2010
djcerla,
So you want the forum to be cluttered up with dozens of "djcerla found another bug!!!"-threads?
You seem to need even more attention that I thought. ;)
Anyway, putting that debate aside.
How comes you insist on "this discussion is wrong here, because the S4 is not about Itch" and at the same time you start random threads about random topics (search for "applejuice") in this area... which have zero to do with Itch? Double standards?
Quote:
My opinion is that critical bugs have to be on front page.So you want the forum to be cluttered up with dozens of "djcerla found another bug!!!"-threads?
You seem to need even more attention that I thought. ;)
Anyway, putting that debate aside.
How comes you insist on "this discussion is wrong here, because the S4 is not about Itch" and at the same time you start random threads about random topics (search for "applejuice") in this area... which have zero to do with Itch? Double standards?
djcerla
4:51 PM - 3 November, 2010
Nik39,
You like to picture others like idiots, and it's fine for me. But a bug that causes a channel to drop, the system to crash or a song to be corrupted is of the utmost importance, and I'll continue to post stuff like this on General Discussion, keeping non-critical bug reports in other beta areas, like it or not.
You like to picture others like idiots, and it's fine for me. But a bug that causes a channel to drop, the system to crash or a song to be corrupted is of the utmost importance, and I'll continue to post stuff like this on General Discussion, keeping non-critical bug reports in other beta areas, like it or not.
haze324
4:52 PM - 3 November, 2010
guys how about this.
Lets try to keep this thread mentioning ways we can make or want Itch to improve.
In this case it's comparing it the S4 and what it does well and does not. What we want Itch to implement and what we don't.
There is relevance to the controller on this forum as it targets the same market. Taking off the forum is not the way to handle it.
Lets try to keep this thread mentioning ways we can make or want Itch to improve.
In this case it's comparing it the S4 and what it does well and does not. What we want Itch to implement and what we don't.
There is relevance to the controller on this forum as it targets the same market. Taking off the forum is not the way to handle it.
nik39
4:53 PM - 3 November, 2010
Well there is a known FAQ and known issues section. Anyway, okay, accepted. You are right.
djcerla,
How comes you insist on "this discussion is wrong here, because the S4 is not about Itch" and at the same time you start random threads about random topics (search for "applejuice") in this area... which have zero to do with Itch? Double standards?
Quote:
You like to picture others like idiots, and it's fine for me. But a bug that causes a channel to drop, the system to crash or a song to be corrupted is of the utmost importance, and I'll continue to post stuff like this on General Discussion, keeping non-critical bug reports in other beta areas, like it or not.Well there is a known FAQ and known issues section. Anyway, okay, accepted. You are right.
djcerla,
How comes you insist on "this discussion is wrong here, because the S4 is not about Itch" and at the same time you start random threads about random topics (search for "applejuice") in this area... which have zero to do with Itch? Double standards?
wadup
4:59 PM - 3 November, 2010
I think serato got the message already guys... Let's just wait to see what 2.0 have in store for us.
kraal
5:00 PM - 3 November, 2010
@haze324 I tried but these to would rather spend post upon post playing i am 'less on topic than you right now " :)
'so when is you eta on getting the s4. I know you have been screaming for itch to add this or add that i would like to see your input on the s4 work flow....
'so when is you eta on getting the s4. I know you have been screaming for itch to add this or add that i would like to see your input on the s4 work flow....
Ragman
5:09 PM - 3 November, 2010
I'm actually ecstatic NI came out with the S4. I don't think Serato will just sit on their laurels with this, especially since many of us have been screaming for many of those features. Competition is a good thing. Keeps technology fresh and prices stable. Serato is by no means a stupid company. There will be a response (and I don't mean the Bridge). Problem is if Serato and some unnamed company comes out with an S4 like system, will it ruin it for the Bridge project?
KLH
5:46 PM - 3 November, 2010
The Bridge seems to offer the most value to SSL. Assumably, ITCH can take advantage of AL's warping and sample playback. Since ITCH has warping, why do we need AL to just playback (and record) samples?
Well, I can think that Serato may be thinking that leveraging AL's extendability for controllers may be save on development costs to produce the same thing while simultaneously getting the marketing/branding good will of being with AL. Price wise, it's a $500 upgrade if you didn't have AL. I dunno, it seems less of a "Wow" than it did 23 months ago.
-KLH
Quote:
Problem is if Serato and some unnamed company comes out with an S4 like system, will it ruin it for the Bridge project?The Bridge seems to offer the most value to SSL. Assumably, ITCH can take advantage of AL's warping and sample playback. Since ITCH has warping, why do we need AL to just playback (and record) samples?
Well, I can think that Serato may be thinking that leveraging AL's extendability for controllers may be save on development costs to produce the same thing while simultaneously getting the marketing/branding good will of being with AL. Price wise, it's a $500 upgrade if you didn't have AL. I dunno, it seems less of a "Wow" than it did 23 months ago.
-KLH
Rebelguy
5:47 PM - 3 November, 2010
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
Wouldn't the S4 be considered a top of the line controller? I don't think pricing has to be insane nowadays as these things are mostly just midi controllers.
Quote:
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
Wouldn't the S4 be considered a top of the line controller? I don't think pricing has to be insane nowadays as these things are mostly just midi controllers.
Rob Pointer
5:52 PM - 3 November, 2010
The good news is that Serato has obviously been working on 2.0 for quite awhile I would imagine and we will see how the two companies leap frog each other with each release.
It is inevitable that this will happen. I'm happy where I am at because I've focused on my output (musically as a DJ) as the benchmark. The moment that I feel that I'm missing something because I have an idea on what I'd like to do creatively for my output, then I'll take a look again and/or request.
But at this point, the S4 and Itch (whatever version) appeal to certain people for certain things. But what I find fascinating is that people tend to focus on features AS IF they actually needed them when their actual output as a DJ is pretty damn plain.
Like my output. lol
It is inevitable that this will happen. I'm happy where I am at because I've focused on my output (musically as a DJ) as the benchmark. The moment that I feel that I'm missing something because I have an idea on what I'd like to do creatively for my output, then I'll take a look again and/or request.
But at this point, the S4 and Itch (whatever version) appeal to certain people for certain things. But what I find fascinating is that people tend to focus on features AS IF they actually needed them when their actual output as a DJ is pretty damn plain.
Like my output. lol
kraal
6:00 PM - 3 November, 2010
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
Wouldn't the S4 be considered a top of the line controller? I don't think pricing has to be insane nowadays as these things are mostly just midi controllers.
yes and i wasnt talking about price-- what i was saying is the controllers for ITCH were the key. So now the focus will be on the software
Quote:
Quote:
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
Wouldn't the S4 be considered a top of the line controller? I don't think pricing has to be insane nowadays as these things are mostly just midi controllers.
yes and i wasnt talking about price-- what i was saying is the controllers for ITCH were the key. So now the focus will be on the software
nik39
6:02 PM - 3 November, 2010
Read the reply to KLH.
lol. That was it? I am not sure, but can't you remember what you wrote just a few lines before?? Obviously you can't. That is the explanation to your contradictions.
Quote:
@. nik39Read the reply to KLH.
lol. That was it? I am not sure, but can't you remember what you wrote just a few lines before?? Obviously you can't. That is the explanation to your contradictions.
Rebelguy
6:02 PM - 3 November, 2010
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
Wouldn't the S4 be considered a top of the line controller? I don't think pricing has to be insane nowadays as these things are mostly just midi controllers.
yes and i wasnt talking about price-- what i was saying is the controllers for ITCH were the key. So now the focus will be on the software
Understood.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
Wouldn't the S4 be considered a top of the line controller? I don't think pricing has to be insane nowadays as these things are mostly just midi controllers.
yes and i wasnt talking about price-- what i was saying is the controllers for ITCH were the key. So now the focus will be on the software
Understood.
zaguama
6:15 PM - 3 November, 2010
looks like some tight response for me, would have to put some hands on anyways but seems pretty good.
looks like some tight response for me, would have to put some hands on anyways but seems pretty good.
Dj Fitty
7:15 PM - 3 November, 2010
That being said, the philosophy of the 1:1 mapping is clearly going to be tested now.
-KLH
+1
Quote:
Agreed. Serato is FAR from lazy and the platform is NOWHERE NEAR DEAD. If Serato announces something new with ITCH (a new controller, future sampler, release date of the Bridge, or - cringe - video), DJs would be seriously torn between ITCH and Traktor.That being said, the philosophy of the 1:1 mapping is clearly going to be tested now.
-KLH
+1
Dj Fitty
7:16 PM - 3 November, 2010
so how about that s4 thingy???
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
+1
Quote:
wow really???so how about that s4 thingy???
I still think the s4 shows one thing to the ITCH format--- others can copy it. ITCH is no longer exclusive. Serato will need more than just top of the line controllers to compete
+1
Dj Fitty
7:18 PM - 3 November, 2010
Brief history lesson:
The VCI-100 and Xponent made DJs (and manufacturers) realize that the CDJ/Mixer/CDJ setup could be emulated and accepted by DJs. Even more importantly, everyone realized that CD playback could be dropped without sacrificing anything... but tight jog/platter performance.
+1
For those who bought into these controllers (myself included), we wanted more... higher performance, more features, and more stability. Enter ITCH with the VCI-300 and NS7. After changing our pants, we bought it. And we were happy.
Shortly after, DJs (and manufacturers other than Serato) realized that controllers are the future of DJing with a curious split on implementations: You can have rotating platters OR portability. Trying to kill six birds with one stone, out came the V7... and I fear that that will be the last rotating platter device that we'll see. Anyways, the Xone: DX came out and it became the de facto form factor standard for controllers moving forward.
Advance the clock a bit, you now have multiple controllers with the same form-factor competing for our dollars: DN-MC6000, VMS4, S4, and Xone: DX, which are bundled with Virtual DJ, Virtual DJ, Traktor S4, and ITCH respectively. All of these controllers can control four decks with their matched software. Some even offer high-performance platters (that allow scratching).
IMHO, an unintended side affect of these controllers is that the previous generation controllers (VCI-300, Xponent, VCI-100, NS7, V7) are now basically obsolete - unless you want to scratch then there's life yet in the VCI-300, NS7, and V7. That's not to say that the latter products are dead, it just means that they're now niche products... like the SLDZ-1200 and CDJs to a lesser extent.
So there you have it, ITCH raised the bar and now needs to raise it again. Gotta love progress...
-KLH
Quote:
I think that the important thing to remember when eyeing the S4 is that other controllers paved the way wayyy before the S4. I'll actually go on a limb to say that ITCH made it possible for NI to even introduce the S4.Brief history lesson:
The VCI-100 and Xponent made DJs (and manufacturers) realize that the CDJ/Mixer/CDJ setup could be emulated and accepted by DJs. Even more importantly, everyone realized that CD playback could be dropped without sacrificing anything... but tight jog/platter performance.
+1
For those who bought into these controllers (myself included), we wanted more... higher performance, more features, and more stability. Enter ITCH with the VCI-300 and NS7. After changing our pants, we bought it. And we were happy.
Shortly after, DJs (and manufacturers other than Serato) realized that controllers are the future of DJing with a curious split on implementations: You can have rotating platters OR portability. Trying to kill six birds with one stone, out came the V7... and I fear that that will be the last rotating platter device that we'll see. Anyways, the Xone: DX came out and it became the de facto form factor standard for controllers moving forward.
Advance the clock a bit, you now have multiple controllers with the same form-factor competing for our dollars: DN-MC6000, VMS4, S4, and Xone: DX, which are bundled with Virtual DJ, Virtual DJ, Traktor S4, and ITCH respectively. All of these controllers can control four decks with their matched software. Some even offer high-performance platters (that allow scratching).
IMHO, an unintended side affect of these controllers is that the previous generation controllers (VCI-300, Xponent, VCI-100, NS7, V7) are now basically obsolete - unless you want to scratch then there's life yet in the VCI-300, NS7, and V7. That's not to say that the latter products are dead, it just means that they're now niche products... like the SLDZ-1200 and CDJs to a lesser extent.
So there you have it, ITCH raised the bar and now needs to raise it again. Gotta love progress...
-KLH
KLH
7:23 PM - 3 November, 2010
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting tired of talking/reading about the S4. For once there seems to be another good controller/software combo on the market. Good for NI.
In about 6 months, they'll catch up to v1.6 of ITCH. Yea!
-KLH
In about 6 months, they'll catch up to v1.6 of ITCH. Yea!
-KLH
Ragman
7:28 PM - 3 November, 2010
Thank God Numark built the V7 like a Tech 1200.
Quote:
...out came the V7... and I fear that that will be the last rotating platter device that we'll see...Thank God Numark built the V7 like a Tech 1200.
Ragman
7:29 PM - 3 November, 2010
Sometimes I look at my V7s and I can't believe that came from Numark. No slight to them but it is truly a piece of work.
Dj Fitty
7:43 PM - 3 November, 2010
Damn! and thats what I said when I first seen a video of the VCI-300. Lol my fisrt Dj Software in 2002 was Traktor and I use to scratch using the mouse and trigger play/pause using the the keyboard. Then the Hercules which I didnt want anyone to see. Then the xponent which had a little platter response and lots of buttons and knobs. Now I have the vci-300 which I was sold on by the platter response. Now traktor S4 has great platter response with a shit load of effects and samplers and lots of buttons. Is it time to upgrade again?
Damn! and thats what I said when I first seen a video of the VCI-300. Lol my fisrt Dj Software in 2002 was Traktor and I use to scratch using the mouse and trigger play/pause using the the keyboard. Then the Hercules which I didnt want anyone to see. Then the xponent which had a little platter response and lots of buttons and knobs. Now I have the vci-300 which I was sold on by the platter response. Now traktor S4 has great platter response with a shit load of effects and samplers and lots of buttons. Is it time to upgrade again?
a8rupt
8:03 PM - 3 November, 2010
'ITCH SUCKS"
so why you care about writing on ITCH forum?
because I am a vci owner, if Serato dont know how I really feel about Itch they will never change. So if you are 100% happy with Itch and the direction its going thats cool and if you express it thats cool too. I am expressing that "Itch Sucks" and that cool for me.
I have to agree. In the beginning it was fine but after having bought a new Macbook for it and still having problems with no foreseeable future resolution I'm outta here. Anyone want a VCI-300 for cheap?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
'ITCH SUCKS"
so why you care about writing on ITCH forum?
because I am a vci owner, if Serato dont know how I really feel about Itch they will never change. So if you are 100% happy with Itch and the direction its going thats cool and if you express it thats cool too. I am expressing that "Itch Sucks" and that cool for me.
I have to agree. In the beginning it was fine but after having bought a new Macbook for it and still having problems with no foreseeable future resolution I'm outta here. Anyone want a VCI-300 for cheap?
Rob Pointer
8:15 PM - 3 November, 2010
+1
Quote:
Sometimes I look at my V7s and I can't believe that came from Numark. No slight to them but it is truly a piece of work.+1
bigdik magee
8:41 PM - 3 November, 2010
In about 6 months, they'll catch up to v1.6 of ITCH. Yea!
-KLH
Sounds like someone needs to stop tracking this forward then ;p
In all seriousness I do smell what your cookin' ;)
Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting tired of talking/reading about the S4. For once there seems to be another good controller/software combo on the market. Good for NI.In about 6 months, they'll catch up to v1.6 of ITCH. Yea!
-KLH
Sounds like someone needs to stop tracking this forward then ;p
In all seriousness I do smell what your cookin' ;)
dj ask
8:58 PM - 3 November, 2010
what KLH? sometimes I wonder..
S4 already left 1.7 in the dust...
btw I put my ns7 on craigslist. hello S4. I dont think I will be here much longer. so long itch.
S4 already left 1.7 in the dust...
btw I put my ns7 on craigslist. hello S4. I dont think I will be here much longer. so long itch.
a8rupt
9:12 PM - 3 November, 2010
S4 already left 1.7 in the dust...
btw I put my ns7 on craigslist. hello S4. I dont think I will be here much longer. so long itch.
+1
You should have sorted out the audio drop outs faster. Oh and by the way - why haven't you said a single thing on this post yet?
Quote:
what KLH? sometimes I wonder..S4 already left 1.7 in the dust...
btw I put my ns7 on craigslist. hello S4. I dont think I will be here much longer. so long itch.
+1
You should have sorted out the audio drop outs faster. Oh and by the way - why haven't you said a single thing on this post yet?
KLH
12:00 AM - 4 November, 2010
That just means that you're smart. I wonder about myself all the time.
Back to the S4, it sounds like NI's hitting the similar problems that the VCI-300 and Xone: DX had at launch (decks "stick", audio dropouts). Clearly, these aren't show stoppers.
Carry on.
-KLH
Quote:
what KLH? sometimes I wonder..That just means that you're smart. I wonder about myself all the time.
Back to the S4, it sounds like NI's hitting the similar problems that the VCI-300 and Xone: DX had at launch (decks "stick", audio dropouts). Clearly, these aren't show stoppers.
Carry on.
-KLH
dj ask
12:11 AM - 4 November, 2010
dont get me wrong. I think u r a pretty well spoken and behaved person. sometimes I wonder why people like you turn 180 and make statements like this.
"In about 6 months, they'll catch up to v1.6 of ITCH. Yea!"
this means that u think S4 will take 6 months to catch to itch ver 1.6?? right?
dont take it too bad. I could care less in all honesty. As I have said I had it with people putting down tools if I consider them fine. So if I think they are fine and they work for me I could simply ignore comments like the one u made. I mean...
"In about 6 months, they'll catch up to v1.6 of ITCH. Yea!"
this means that u think S4 will take 6 months to catch to itch ver 1.6?? right?
dont take it too bad. I could care less in all honesty. As I have said I had it with people putting down tools if I consider them fine. So if I think they are fine and they work for me I could simply ignore comments like the one u made. I mean...
dj ask
12:13 AM - 4 November, 2010
link to deck sticking? I wouldnt call on those supposed audio drop outs so fast. I have a HUGE feeling it is on the users end as most problems with this type of software.
btw I have yet to have a single issue with 1.7..
btw I have yet to have a single issue with 1.7..
KLH
1:00 AM - 4 November, 2010
No offense taken. I like to think that I keep a calm head, but I have been known to spout outright lies in some threads (like the PC vs. Mac).
Anyways, my comments were made in light of common launch problems - not design issues. NI will want to merge TPS4 with TP - a la ITCH 1.7 - and there will be inevitable bumps in the road. That's what I said poorly - as I was pressed for time at work.
www.djforums.com
FWIW, it's been resolved with a jog calibration - a la the NS7 when it launched.
-KLH
Quote:
"In about 6 months, they'll catch up to v1.6 of ITCH. Yea!" this means that u think S4 will take 6 months to catch to itch ver 1.6?? right?No offense taken. I like to think that I keep a calm head, but I have been known to spout outright lies in some threads (like the PC vs. Mac).
Anyways, my comments were made in light of common launch problems - not design issues. NI will want to merge TPS4 with TP - a la ITCH 1.7 - and there will be inevitable bumps in the road. That's what I said poorly - as I was pressed for time at work.
Quote:
link to deck sticking? I wouldnt call on those supposed audio drop outs so fast. I have a HUGE feeling it is on the users end as most problems with this type of software.www.djforums.com
FWIW, it's been resolved with a jog calibration - a la the NS7 when it launched.
-KLH
KLH
1:50 AM - 4 November, 2010
Shhhh... don't tell anyone:
serato.com
It'd been a while since anyone posted in that thread, so I thought that I'd stir the hornet's nest - and sure enough....
-KLH
Quote:
lol what lies?Shhhh... don't tell anyone:
serato.com
It'd been a while since anyone posted in that thread, so I thought that I'd stir the hornet's nest - and sure enough....
-KLH
dj ask
2:07 AM - 4 November, 2010
... and the world loses it's mind. UFB.
-KLH
not very far from the truth... LOL!
Quote:
Can you believe that Apple came out with a new MacBook Air? It's underpowered, super expensive, and only differentiates itself from the iPad by ONLY having a keyboard.... and the world loses it's mind. UFB.
-KLH
not very far from the truth... LOL!
DJ Urkel Dee
8:56 AM - 4 November, 2010
KLH... Lol come on bro... Ur a very intelligent guy... No one is saying the S4 is perfect people are just REALLY excited about the features and with all the PROBLEMS the recent updates Itch gave people it is no room to throw stones at other gear... No gear is perfect especially at launch... I dig ur views but there's a fine line between constructive criticism and hating.
DJ Urkel Dee
9:03 AM - 4 November, 2010
+1000 can't wait till 2.0 Itch update and Tracktor S4 software comes to fully get the most out of them! The best thing Numark could have done was allow them to be midi mappable.
Quote:
Sometimes I look at my V7s and I can't believe that came from Numark. No slight to them but it is truly a piece of work.+1000 can't wait till 2.0 Itch update and Tracktor S4 software comes to fully get the most out of them! The best thing Numark could have done was allow them to be midi mappable.
hotmixfive
4:34 PM - 4 November, 2010
Man alive this thread is incredible. I bought SSL pretty much the day it dropped. I got so much stick turning up to my residency with it. Now most of those guys rock SSL which is nice. Back then the bitchin was about vinyl verus SSL.
Now it seems like one massive farking cage fight at times when I read on here.
Reminds me of the days of console wars. Sega / Nintendo. Even Spectrum / Commodore [ UK readers might get that ]
If you even dreamed of mentioning you had Numarks round my way 15 + years ago you might have got a swift punch in the neck.
Surely it's about what ever you feel comfortable with and the MUSIC? Each to their own and all that jazz.
My S4 just dropped and I'm looking forward to getting it home and trying it out. Will report back.
Now it seems like one massive farking cage fight at times when I read on here.
Reminds me of the days of console wars. Sega / Nintendo. Even Spectrum / Commodore [ UK readers might get that ]
If you even dreamed of mentioning you had Numarks round my way 15 + years ago you might have got a swift punch in the neck.
Surely it's about what ever you feel comfortable with and the MUSIC? Each to their own and all that jazz.
My S4 just dropped and I'm looking forward to getting it home and trying it out. Will report back.
KLH
6:47 PM - 4 November, 2010
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! TPS4 has NO key-lock on the sampler slots!
The implications of this decision are pretty far reaching. Of course, there is the option of simply using four decks (which DO have key-lock), but the sampler slots are what most want to use. I'm surprised at this decision by NI.
Most are speculating that performance was the reason behind this decision, but I disagree. Torq has had _16_ key-locked and BPM synced slots since v1.0.5 and warp-capable slots since v1.5. In addition, ALL 16 are capable of recording at once! You can create quite a mess with 16 samples going at once (PLUS the two decks), but being able to is pure win.
-KLH
The implications of this decision are pretty far reaching. Of course, there is the option of simply using four decks (which DO have key-lock), but the sampler slots are what most want to use. I'm surprised at this decision by NI.
Most are speculating that performance was the reason behind this decision, but I disagree. Torq has had _16_ key-locked and BPM synced slots since v1.0.5 and warp-capable slots since v1.5. In addition, ALL 16 are capable of recording at once! You can create quite a mess with 16 samples going at once (PLUS the two decks), but being able to is pure win.
-KLH
nik39
7:17 PM - 4 November, 2010
The implications of this decision are pretty far reaching
Are you sure it is not a bug?
Quote:
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! TPS4 has NO key-lock on the sampler slots!The implications of this decision are pretty far reaching
Are you sure it is not a bug?
KLH
10:18 PM - 4 November, 2010
I've read that there are no "instant" kills on the S4 (need turn EQ knob all the way left). Kills can apparently be mapped to another device or keyboard.
-KLH
-KLH
KLH
10:19 PM - 4 November, 2010
This is a "feature" of the current release. Future versions of TP may have the samplers have key-lock. That's a BIG miss.
-KLH
Quote:
Are you sure it is not a bug?This is a "feature" of the current release. Future versions of TP may have the samplers have key-lock. That's a BIG miss.
-KLH
KLH
10:21 PM - 4 November, 2010
FWIW, that's how the NS7 works; IMHO, it's quite workable the way it is.
-KLH
Quote:
I've read that there are no "instant" kills on the S4 (need turn EQ knob all the way left).FWIW, that's how the NS7 works; IMHO, it's quite workable the way it is.
-KLH
Kanario Dj Producer
12:51 AM - 5 November, 2010
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! TPS4 has NO key-lock on the sampler slots!
The implications of this decision are pretty far reaching
Are you sure it is not a bug?
Where did you find this info! Up to this point when I use the sampler, I don't hear any change in Pitch! When I grab a sample on the fly from any song playing in one of the tracks, it sounds the same as the original!
I think that the key lock is done in the background!
But i'm going to take a closer look when I get home!
Quote:
Quote:
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA! TPS4 has NO key-lock on the sampler slots!
The implications of this decision are pretty far reaching
Are you sure it is not a bug?
Where did you find this info! Up to this point when I use the sampler, I don't hear any change in Pitch! When I grab a sample on the fly from any song playing in one of the tracks, it sounds the same as the original!
I think that the key lock is done in the background!
But i'm going to take a closer look when I get home!
haze324
3:28 AM - 5 November, 2010
KLH is correct.
Hopefully this will be in a future release. Gives them something to improve/build on.
Hopefully this will be in a future release. Gives them something to improve/build on.
dj ask
8:14 PM - 5 November, 2010
fader start is not a deal breaker for me. I rather have instant EQ kill buttons..
kraal
8:19 PM - 5 November, 2010
neither does the vci-300
fader start is the modern version of the 'transform' button on mixers you really dont need that effect
fader start is the modern version of the 'transform' button on mixers you really dont need that effect
seratosnatch
8:26 PM - 5 November, 2010
Fader start is not that great IMOP.
IMOP still the A&H Xone DX is superior and the S4 software looks over bloated and
not impressed.
IMOP still the A&H Xone DX is superior and the S4 software looks over bloated and
not impressed.
KLH
8:27 PM - 5 November, 2010
Huh? You guys are crazy if you don't think that this is cool and worth having...
Watchwww.youtube.com
-KLH
Quote:
fader start is the modern version of the 'transform' button on mixers you really dont need that effectHuh? You guys are crazy if you don't think that this is cool and worth having...
Watchwww.youtube.com
-KLH
kraal
8:47 PM - 5 November, 2010
fader start is the modern version of the 'transform' button on mixers you really dont need that effect
Huh? You guys are crazy if you don't think that this is cool and worth having...
Watchwww.youtube.com
-KLH
honestly no i think that is stupid IMO
Quote:
Quote:
fader start is the modern version of the 'transform' button on mixers you really dont need that effect
Huh? You guys are crazy if you don't think that this is cool and worth having...
Watchwww.youtube.com
-KLH
honestly no i think that is stupid IMO
kraal
9:15 PM - 5 November, 2010
agreed but that shows why i dont feel the need of having instant start so gives a reason for my opinion a barometer to base it on
Quote:
To each his own... ;-)agreed but that shows why i dont feel the need of having instant start so gives a reason for my opinion a barometer to base it on
FireWire
9:32 AM - 7 November, 2010
Here's a little video for the S4 fanboys:
Watchwww.youtube.com
I'm personally still deciding on which controller to get. Probably going to wait to see if Serato partners with any other good manufacturers, or gets any upgrades made to the VCI-300 or DX units.
Watchwww.youtube.com
I'm personally still deciding on which controller to get. Probably going to wait to see if Serato partners with any other good manufacturers, or gets any upgrades made to the VCI-300 or DX units.
bigdik magee
7:38 PM - 7 November, 2010
Watchwww.youtube.com
I'm personally still deciding on which controller to get. Probably going to wait to see if Serato partners with any other good manufacturers, or gets any upgrades made to the VCI-300 or DX units.
Still not yet impressed... as an NS7 user. I really need to get my hands on one to be sure though ;)
Quote:
Here's a little video for the S4 fanboys:Watchwww.youtube.com
I'm personally still deciding on which controller to get. Probably going to wait to see if Serato partners with any other good manufacturers, or gets any upgrades made to the VCI-300 or DX units.
Still not yet impressed... as an NS7 user. I really need to get my hands on one to be sure though ;)
bigdik magee
8:09 PM - 7 November, 2010
I did a Traktor demo the other day (with a non S4 controller). I remembered quickly how much I liked the effects engined, but the rest of the software didn't do anything for me at all. I missed Serato almost instantly.
Traktor was a good starter product for me, however.
Traktor was a good starter product for me, however.
seratosnatch
8:21 PM - 7 November, 2010
I love the natural feel and waveforms view in Serato the most..
DJFUNKMIKE
10:52 PM - 7 November, 2010
Just a quick,question from any of u guys? if for example,u transfer ur serato library/crates to the s4,would the cue points be recognized on the s4? because,u could just imagine the agony of setting up cue points again to ur thousands of tracks from serato.Please,i would appreciate any reliable info...Thank you in advance! Cheers!
zaguama
12:07 AM - 8 November, 2010
you should probably ask that on you native instruments forum www.native-instruments.com
There is a tool that converts the Serato database to Traktor Pro, its possible that it could work with Traktor S4 as well but again i suggest you check out their forum.
There is a tool that converts the Serato database to Traktor Pro, its possible that it could work with Traktor S4 as well but again i suggest you check out their forum.
DJFUNKMIKE
12:10 AM - 8 November, 2010
There is a tool that converts the Serato database to Traktor Pro, its possible that it could work with Traktor S4 as well but again i suggest you check out their forum.
Thanks man! im actually checking it right now....
Quote:
you should probably ask that on you native instruments forum www.native-instruments.comThere is a tool that converts the Serato database to Traktor Pro, its possible that it could work with Traktor S4 as well but again i suggest you check out their forum.
Thanks man! im actually checking it right now....
FireWire
12:56 AM - 8 November, 2010
To be honest, I'm still not convinced either, but then I found this video and it certainly blurred by decision even more:
Watchwww.youtube.com
But, the years I spent working on my SL library is not worth redoing all over just for the S4 and the condition that it is currently in (too fresh of a unit, 'newcomer' on the scene... might be buggy, etc.)
Quote:
Still not yet impressed... as an NS7 user. I really need to get my hands on one to be sure though ;)To be honest, I'm still not convinced either, but then I found this video and it certainly blurred by decision even more:
Watchwww.youtube.com
But, the years I spent working on my SL library is not worth redoing all over just for the S4 and the condition that it is currently in (too fresh of a unit, 'newcomer' on the scene... might be buggy, etc.)
djcerla
1:24 AM - 8 November, 2010
Wow... You can push the wrong button in endless, creative ways! :-)
It comes with onboard alchol-test: over 0.5/l the machine stops responding to commands, plays an ABBA mixtape in order to prevent the 100% sure buttons mistake :-)
It comes with onboard alchol-test: over 0.5/l the machine stops responding to commands, plays an ABBA mixtape in order to prevent the 100% sure buttons mistake :-)
KLH
1:55 AM - 8 November, 2010
Hey, bro, can you send me that ABBA mixtape? That's a great track to keep cued up on my backup...
"... 'cause you are the dancing queen..."
-KLH
"... 'cause you are the dancing queen..."
-KLH
haze324
5:03 AM - 8 November, 2010
^ hahahahhahahahahah
Dancing Queeeeeeennnnn
Now that shit was funny.
10/10
Dancing Queeeeeeennnnn
Now that shit was funny.
10/10
Kanario Dj Producer
8:32 AM - 8 November, 2010
The S4 controller cannot be everything for every type of DJ! I think it is a waste of time to look for features that are not included when you already know what is being offered!
If the S4 has all the features that your looking for, it is a marriage made in heaven!
And it provides more than what we have on this side of the fence!
The S4 has all the stuff we've been asking for here, for quite some time.
The NE S4 is the most complete and best controller out there for now! (statement based on personal experience, not speculation).
If the S4 has all the features that your looking for, it is a marriage made in heaven!
And it provides more than what we have on this side of the fence!
The S4 has all the stuff we've been asking for here, for quite some time.
The NE S4 is the most complete and best controller out there for now! (statement based on personal experience, not speculation).
kraal
8:41 AM - 8 November, 2010
@Kanario Dj Producer I agree with what you said above. It is a controller and it happens to be pushing controllers further into the mainstream.
I am amazed at the people that are posting negative reviews based on videos ect and dont own it
I think the funniest argument right now is it has too many features.... well maybe it does but nobody says you have to use them all. I personally Like ITCH and will stick with it for awhile but would like to see what the next generation of ITCH controllers will have to offer
I am amazed at the people that are posting negative reviews based on videos ect and dont own it
I think the funniest argument right now is it has too many features.... well maybe it does but nobody says you have to use them all. I personally Like ITCH and will stick with it for awhile but would like to see what the next generation of ITCH controllers will have to offer
djcerla
10:45 AM - 8 November, 2010
it's not "funny" at all, especially in 2010, when mass-adopted gadgets and technologies were proven successful on their streamlined functionality/features set.
and again: you can buy a stripped down Lamborghini: no air conditioning, no hifi, etc at a $100.000 premium over the "features-rich" normal version.
That's why the natural NI evolution pattern will be: streamlining their S4 into a S2 offering, redesigning their GUI with big, stacked waveforms (a mission-critical ITCH advantage over its competitors).
Quote:
I think the funniest argument right now is it has too many features....it's not "funny" at all, especially in 2010, when mass-adopted gadgets and technologies were proven successful on their streamlined functionality/features set.
and again: you can buy a stripped down Lamborghini: no air conditioning, no hifi, etc at a $100.000 premium over the "features-rich" normal version.
That's why the natural NI evolution pattern will be: streamlining their S4 into a S2 offering, redesigning their GUI with big, stacked waveforms (a mission-critical ITCH advantage over its competitors).
haze324
11:17 AM - 8 November, 2010
Cerla, if look at it from another point of view the S4 IS a stream lined version of gear. For example:
4 CDJ-1000’s, 1 DJM-800, 1 Audio 8, 1 Sampler/Effects Processor, 1 lap top, 4 Time Code CD’s., software to record you loops/samples.
Vs.
1 S4 + a laptop.
Not arguing what is a more professional set up, or what sounds better, etc.
But the S4 just streamlined the above set up. You could say the same about a VCI-300 and a two CDJ’s and 2 channel Mixer.
Also, the S4 GUI without any of the hardware visuals is pretty stream lined…..not quit Itch though.
4 CDJ-1000’s, 1 DJM-800, 1 Audio 8, 1 Sampler/Effects Processor, 1 lap top, 4 Time Code CD’s., software to record you loops/samples.
Vs.
1 S4 + a laptop.
Not arguing what is a more professional set up, or what sounds better, etc.
But the S4 just streamlined the above set up. You could say the same about a VCI-300 and a two CDJ’s and 2 channel Mixer.
Also, the S4 GUI without any of the hardware visuals is pretty stream lined…..not quit Itch though.
djcerla
12:01 PM - 8 November, 2010
As you may know, I've always bashed and disliked the Xone:DX for the exact same reason: way too much clutter.
I like my hands to fly on the controller without almost looking at it, not something doable on a DX or S4. And my GUI has to be no frills/huge waveforms/huge fonts. That's why the very capable S4 doesn't impress me, but I guess many will just love it.
I like my hands to fly on the controller without almost looking at it, not something doable on a DX or S4. And my GUI has to be no frills/huge waveforms/huge fonts. That's why the very capable S4 doesn't impress me, but I guess many will just love it.
haze324
12:39 PM - 8 November, 2010
Trust me I understand what you mean, and I think most here do as well --- that's why we're on the Itch forum. You stated something similar in another post, but when I first jumped on a VCI-300 I thought "holy shit - this is as close two decks and a mixer that exists" and the GUI was the same way. Nothing to get lost on just track info and wave form. That's what made Itch what it is.
But the flip side is if you want 4 decks you need more hardware and software space, if you want effects you need more buttons, if you want a sampler with your software you also need more buttons, knobs, and more stuff on your GUI. It's a catch 22...at what point do you get all that you want or not enough, and when is it too much.
Somethings gotta give. Oh and do this all in a portable all-in-one controller.
But the flip side is if you want 4 decks you need more hardware and software space, if you want effects you need more buttons, if you want a sampler with your software you also need more buttons, knobs, and more stuff on your GUI. It's a catch 22...at what point do you get all that you want or not enough, and when is it too much.
Somethings gotta give. Oh and do this all in a portable all-in-one controller.
djcerla
12:51 PM - 8 November, 2010
I sit pretty comfortably at "point V7" :-)
if I feel brave, I just plug a proper 2 octaves keyboard in and fire up my trusty NI Battery 3 for full sampler experience without the clutter.
Quote:
at what point do you get all that you want or not enough, and when is it too much.I sit pretty comfortably at "point V7" :-)
if I feel brave, I just plug a proper 2 octaves keyboard in and fire up my trusty NI Battery 3 for full sampler experience without the clutter.
Rebelguy
2:56 PM - 8 November, 2010
Doesn't seem to stop Shiftee or Ean Golden.
It still seems like the S4 is a more practical solution.
Quote:
I like my hands to fly on the controller without almost looking at it, not something doable on a DX or S4.Doesn't seem to stop Shiftee or Ean Golden.
Quote:
if I feel brave, I just plug a proper 2 octaves keyboard in and fire up my trusty NI Battery 3 for full sampler experience without the clutter.It still seems like the S4 is a more practical solution.
djcerla
3:39 PM - 8 November, 2010
More practical? Only as far as booth real estate is concerned. A proper keyboard is way more practical in real world usage, the sampler is WAY more powerful, the setup is visually stunning, the controller is less cramped. Just plug 1 usb and you're done (this applies to V7, on other controllers is actually less practical due to separate PFL).
A sampler must be controlled externally, IMHO, otherwise you get the subpar S4 sampler experience.
And BTW a demo is something staged in controlled conditions, live usage is a different story as you guys know. Both DX and S4 look like imagined by an engineer (or worse the marketing guy) rather than a DJ.
I think the best controller overall remains the NS7/V7, as long as you can live without 4 decks.
A sampler must be controlled externally, IMHO, otherwise you get the subpar S4 sampler experience.
And BTW a demo is something staged in controlled conditions, live usage is a different story as you guys know. Both DX and S4 look like imagined by an engineer (or worse the marketing guy) rather than a DJ.
I think the best controller overall remains the NS7/V7, as long as you can live without 4 decks.
Rebelguy
4:07 PM - 8 November, 2010
But it was designed with the help of Ean Golden...a DJ. And it is nowhere as cramped as the new Denon unit that is coming out.
Do you have any videos out of you using the NS7 with your recommended sampler setup? I am curious to see it in action.
Quote:
And BTW a demo is something staged in controlled conditions, live usage is a different story as you guys know. Both DX and S4 look like imagined by an engineer (or worse the marketing guy) rather than a DJ.But it was designed with the help of Ean Golden...a DJ. And it is nowhere as cramped as the new Denon unit that is coming out.
Do you have any videos out of you using the NS7 with your recommended sampler setup? I am curious to see it in action.
djcerla
4:14 PM - 8 November, 2010
Here's a guide about how to setup a Battery 3 sampler using VCI-300/NS7 soundcard: serato.com
obviously, the V7s + mixer setup makes the process way less cumbersome as you simply plug the output of your Mac into a third mixer channel.
I don't have a video, but I've recently bought a Canon 60D plus fancy lens to make a bunch of new videos at good 1080p quality, so I guess it's coming :-)
obviously, the V7s + mixer setup makes the process way less cumbersome as you simply plug the output of your Mac into a third mixer channel.
I don't have a video, but I've recently bought a Canon 60D plus fancy lens to make a bunch of new videos at good 1080p quality, so I guess it's coming :-)
bigdik magee
5:28 PM - 8 November, 2010
Still not yet impressed... as an NS7 user. I really need to get my hands on one to be sure though ;)
To be honest, I'm still not convinced either, but then I found this video and it certainly blurred by decision even more:
Watchwww.youtube.com
But, the years I spent working on my SL library is not worth redoing all over just for the S4 and the condition that it is currently in (too fresh of a unit, 'newcomer' on the scene... might be buggy, etc.)
Other than the guy not knowing how to use the device fully what did you see in this video? My eyes were blurry but mostly from boredom. I'm really waiting to see somebody rock out on this controller, but I haven't seen it yet.
Then again maybe they just need the right DJ ;)
Quote:
Quote:
Still not yet impressed... as an NS7 user. I really need to get my hands on one to be sure though ;)
To be honest, I'm still not convinced either, but then I found this video and it certainly blurred by decision even more:
Watchwww.youtube.com
But, the years I spent working on my SL library is not worth redoing all over just for the S4 and the condition that it is currently in (too fresh of a unit, 'newcomer' on the scene... might be buggy, etc.)
Other than the guy not knowing how to use the device fully what did you see in this video? My eyes were blurry but mostly from boredom. I'm really waiting to see somebody rock out on this controller, but I haven't seen it yet.
Then again maybe they just need the right DJ ;)
Rebelguy
7:33 PM - 8 November, 2010
obviously, the V7s + mixer setup makes the process way less cumbersome as you simply plug the output of your Mac into a third mixer channel.
I don't have a video, but I've recently bought a Canon 60D plus fancy lens to make a bunch of new videos at good 1080p quality, so I guess it's coming :-)
It's an option but I don't see it as better then the S4. That's my opinion though. It's also one more thing to bring to set up.
Quote:
Here's a guide about how to setup a Battery 3 sampler using VCI-300/NS7 soundcard: serato.comobviously, the V7s + mixer setup makes the process way less cumbersome as you simply plug the output of your Mac into a third mixer channel.
I don't have a video, but I've recently bought a Canon 60D plus fancy lens to make a bunch of new videos at good 1080p quality, so I guess it's coming :-)
It's an option but I don't see it as better then the S4. That's my opinion though. It's also one more thing to bring to set up.
djcerla
7:43 PM - 8 November, 2010
Opinions are fine. I work with samplers in clubs since 1992 and my opinion is that 4 slots just don't cut it; I want everything I possibly use in one "big" keyboard (with +- octave shift), my current Battery 3 program is about 70 samples big.
Then I want pitch, individual FX (delay is a must, then a touch of reverb modulable to get "washes"), samples PFL, and so on.
All this stuff will conveniently come via The Bridge, however, the 3rd party solution works beautifully for me, only drawback, you can't sample stuff live (but 99.9% of S4 buyers will never use this feature in actual live gigs).
Quote:
It's an option but I don't see it as better then the S4. That's my opinion though.Opinions are fine. I work with samplers in clubs since 1992 and my opinion is that 4 slots just don't cut it; I want everything I possibly use in one "big" keyboard (with +- octave shift), my current Battery 3 program is about 70 samples big.
Then I want pitch, individual FX (delay is a must, then a touch of reverb modulable to get "washes"), samples PFL, and so on.
All this stuff will conveniently come via The Bridge, however, the 3rd party solution works beautifully for me, only drawback, you can't sample stuff live (but 99.9% of S4 buyers will never use this feature in actual live gigs).
thebeatworx
7:55 PM - 8 November, 2010
I think because technology is making the ability to mix songs together easier and more accessible to the masses, more and more DJ's will be forced to use the more advanced features of their software just so they can stand out amongst other DJs... So I don't necessarily agree that these feature will never be used... 99.9% may be true at first, but that number will slowly dwindle... Look at the usage of effects for example... It wasn't used so widely at first, now DJ's are demanding it as a feature... And I'm not just talking about the S4 features, I'm talkng about the Bridge as well... as soon as more DJs start setting the standard higher using these advances, we will see it adopted more and more. I am sure of it.
Quote:
All this stuff will conveniently come via The Bridge, however, the 3rd party solution works beautifully for me, only drawback, you can't sample stuff live (but 99.9% of S4 buyers will never use this feature in actual live gigs).I think because technology is making the ability to mix songs together easier and more accessible to the masses, more and more DJ's will be forced to use the more advanced features of their software just so they can stand out amongst other DJs... So I don't necessarily agree that these feature will never be used... 99.9% may be true at first, but that number will slowly dwindle... Look at the usage of effects for example... It wasn't used so widely at first, now DJ's are demanding it as a feature... And I'm not just talking about the S4 features, I'm talkng about the Bridge as well... as soon as more DJs start setting the standard higher using these advances, we will see it adopted more and more. I am sure of it.
djcerla
7:59 PM - 8 November, 2010
Totally agreed mate, however, live sampling is something DJs don't typically do. A beatslicer/repeater has a more dramatic effect on the dancefloor, is more straightforward to operate and doesn't need the performer to be tight as a drummer.
Now, I tell you this from my experience, there may well be some brave heart willing to take the risk of live sampling.
Now, I tell you this from my experience, there may well be some brave heart willing to take the risk of live sampling.
bigdik magee
7:59 PM - 8 November, 2010
Now, I tell you this from my experience, there may well be some brave heart willing to take the risk of live sampling.
Agreed. Auto-loop/Repeater does the job.
Quote:
Totally agreed mate, however, live sampling is something DJs don't typically do. A beatslicer/repeater has a more dramatic effect on the dancefloor, is more straightforward to operate and doesn't need the performer to be tight as a drummer.Now, I tell you this from my experience, there may well be some brave heart willing to take the risk of live sampling.
Agreed. Auto-loop/Repeater does the job.
Kanario Dj Producer
1:28 AM - 9 November, 2010
The S4 has 8 slots! 4 with its dedicated channel!
I can have those 70 samples or more playing with the S4 with the loop recorder feature!
I can record layer after layer of music samples or overdub with a dedicated foot switch and play them back automatically while I add more effects live!
check out how is done:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Like I said before! the S4 is not for everybody! Cerla, you like your setup I respect that! I won't trash your setup because it does not work for me! there is a reason you have it, and there is a reason I have a different controller! "Personal Taste!"
If you want to bring your whole studio to the club and perform that's on you my man! I prefer: Powerful, light and compact! that is part of the Apple philosophy! and I think you are an Apple fan boy! but maybe you don't share that vision, at least; not in the DJ world!
Oh! you say you want everything! I thing that the only product that can give you almost anything in one package is the S4 Minus the Keyboard of course but if you insist the S4 has a midi in and out so you can hook up your lovely keyboard.... :))
Quote:
my opinion is that 4 slots just don't cut it; I want everything I possibly use in one "big" keyboard (with +- octave shift), my current Battery 3 program is about 70 samples big.The S4 has 8 slots! 4 with its dedicated channel!
I can have those 70 samples or more playing with the S4 with the loop recorder feature!
I can record layer after layer of music samples or overdub with a dedicated foot switch and play them back automatically while I add more effects live!
check out how is done:
Watchwww.youtube.com
Like I said before! the S4 is not for everybody! Cerla, you like your setup I respect that! I won't trash your setup because it does not work for me! there is a reason you have it, and there is a reason I have a different controller! "Personal Taste!"
If you want to bring your whole studio to the club and perform that's on you my man! I prefer: Powerful, light and compact! that is part of the Apple philosophy! and I think you are an Apple fan boy! but maybe you don't share that vision, at least; not in the DJ world!
Oh! you say you want everything! I thing that the only product that can give you almost anything in one package is the S4 Minus the Keyboard of course but if you insist the S4 has a midi in and out so you can hook up your lovely keyboard.... :))
djcerla
1:38 AM - 9 November, 2010
8 or 4 sample slots with no modulation whatsoever is nothing compared to 70 or more samples under your fingertips, fully tweakable.
Much before becoming an "Apple fanboy" I was a "Ensoniq fanboy", then a "Roland DJ70 fanboy" then an "Akai fanboy", in short I have enough sampler-in-club experience, and I hope Serato will NOT follow NI footsteps in regards of sampling.
Much before becoming an "Apple fanboy" I was a "Ensoniq fanboy", then a "Roland DJ70 fanboy" then an "Akai fanboy", in short I have enough sampler-in-club experience, and I hope Serato will NOT follow NI footsteps in regards of sampling.
djcerla
1:46 AM - 9 November, 2010
(The funny part is that I bash NI sampler using another NI sampler, Battery 3, as an example... lol)
KLH
4:54 PM - 9 November, 2010
^Still have your ASR10??? I was a Kurzweil K2000 fanboy for the longest time. Sigh. Good times.
-KLH
-KLH
djcerla
4:59 PM - 9 November, 2010
mate, I had BOTH the EPS16-plus AND the ASR10! I have sold the ASR10, still have the EPS somewhere.
2 MEGAbytes RAM...!
Quote:
^Still have your ASR10???mate, I had BOTH the EPS16-plus AND the ASR10! I have sold the ASR10, still have the EPS somewhere.
2 MEGAbytes RAM...!
KLH
6:36 PM - 9 November, 2010
Remember the number of times that you couldn't find that floppy disk with the sample that you just had to have??? I KNOW it's around here somewhere!
Or spending 30 minutes fine-tuning that loop so that you don't get flaming/aliasing on retriggers?
Remember when you spent hours in (eMagic's) Logic trying to get that MIDI-based delay in THE Environment?
I STILL think that motorized faders are going to change the world (Yahama O2R)...
-KLH
Or spending 30 minutes fine-tuning that loop so that you don't get flaming/aliasing on retriggers?
Remember when you spent hours in (eMagic's) Logic trying to get that MIDI-based delay in THE Environment?
I STILL think that motorized faders are going to change the world (Yahama O2R)...
-KLH
djcerla
7:43 PM - 9 November, 2010
Sorry for the OT but I can't resist...
What about flying to Spain with your DJ70 in flight-case only to discover that the floppy drive had been broken during transport and the programs you've spent weeks to make are useless?
What about flying to Spain with your DJ70 in flight-case only to discover that the floppy drive had been broken during transport and the programs you've spent weeks to make are useless?
KLH
8:36 PM - 9 November, 2010
We could probably go on all day, bro! But back on topic...
ITCH user are smarter than S4 users... somehow.
-KLH
ITCH user are smarter than S4 users... somehow.
-KLH
seratosnatch
9:32 PM - 9 November, 2010
notice in that video of Ean showing Ozzy promo. that the S4 moves as he messes with the pitch fader as it is so light.
haze324
5:34 AM - 10 November, 2010
^ yeah good review --- wish they would point out any flaws or ways it could've been better.
Thanks for posting.
Thanks for posting.
Kanario Dj Producer
9:09 AM - 10 November, 2010
ITCH user are smarter than S4 users... somehow.
-KLH
I agree! Smart enough to notice the difference!
You know since DJ Cerla talked about the sampler in the S4 has no modulation! I started playing with it! Now I discovered that I can scratch the sample, add a stack of sound effects, each sample slot has a dedicated filter and volume control. You can do so many things with this controller, it's crazy! You can definitely tweak the samples!!!
One thing that I like coming to Itch is the Mixtape recorder! and the fact that you can edit your post recorded set!
I'm going to use both softwares as long as I can! maybe in the future I will be able to write a long term report!!!! Itch won round 1, the S4 round 2, round 3 Fight!
Quote:
We could probably go on all day, bro! But back on topic...ITCH user are smarter than S4 users... somehow.
-KLH
I agree! Smart enough to notice the difference!
You know since DJ Cerla talked about the sampler in the S4 has no modulation! I started playing with it! Now I discovered that I can scratch the sample, add a stack of sound effects, each sample slot has a dedicated filter and volume control. You can do so many things with this controller, it's crazy! You can definitely tweak the samples!!!
One thing that I like coming to Itch is the Mixtape recorder! and the fact that you can edit your post recorded set!
I'm going to use both softwares as long as I can! maybe in the future I will be able to write a long term report!!!! Itch won round 1, the S4 round 2, round 3 Fight!
djcerla
9:24 AM - 10 November, 2010
OK next year I'll explain you what modulation is.
Quote:
You know since DJ Cerla talked about the sampler in the S4 has no modulation! I started playing with it! Now I discovered that I can scratch the sample, add a stack of sound effects, each sample slot has a dedicated filter and volume control.OK next year I'll explain you what modulation is.
kraal
9:26 AM - 10 November, 2010
You know since DJ Cerla talked about the sampler in the S4 has no modulation! I started playing with it! Now I discovered that I can scratch the sample, add a stack of sound effects, each sample slot has a dedicated filter and volume control.
OK next year I'll explain you what modulation is.
i think he is just looking at the word 'mod'
Quote:
Quote:
You know since DJ Cerla talked about the sampler in the S4 has no modulation! I started playing with it! Now I discovered that I can scratch the sample, add a stack of sound effects, each sample slot has a dedicated filter and volume control.
OK next year I'll explain you what modulation is.
i think he is just looking at the word 'mod'
Kanario Dj Producer
10:34 AM - 10 November, 2010
You know since DJ Cerla talked about the sampler in the S4 has no modulation! I started playing with it! Now I discovered that I can scratch the sample, add a stack of sound effects, each sample slot has a dedicated filter and volume control.
OK next year I'll explain you what modulation is.
My hermano!
What i'm talking about is, electronic modulation! You are maybe thinking and talking about music modulation!
Quote:
Quote:
You know since DJ Cerla talked about the sampler in the S4 has no modulation! I started playing with it! Now I discovered that I can scratch the sample, add a stack of sound effects, each sample slot has a dedicated filter and volume control.
OK next year I'll explain you what modulation is.
My hermano!
What i'm talking about is, electronic modulation! You are maybe thinking and talking about music modulation!
djcerla
10:40 AM - 10 November, 2010
No.
For example:
MODWHEEL---> PITCH TRANSPOSE
PITCH BEND WHEEL ---> PITCH BEND
ROTARY 1 ---> SAMPLE START
ROTARY 2 --> LFO INTENSITY
ROTARY 3 --> BITS DEGRADE
ROTARY 4 --> PAN
For example:
MODWHEEL---> PITCH TRANSPOSE
PITCH BEND WHEEL ---> PITCH BEND
ROTARY 1 ---> SAMPLE START
ROTARY 2 --> LFO INTENSITY
ROTARY 3 --> BITS DEGRADE
ROTARY 4 --> PAN
haze324
10:57 AM - 10 November, 2010
Cerla, what is it the S4 sampler can not do from the above.
And what it can not do, can you give an example of when you would need it.
I think some of the limitations were designed around the hardware for it to fit. I've read that some folks are pluggin in their X1's to have more control over the samplers.
And what it can not do, can you give an example of when you would need it.
I think some of the limitations were designed around the hardware for it to fit. I've read that some folks are pluggin in their X1's to have more control over the samplers.
djcerla
10:58 AM - 10 November, 2010
The S4 sampler is a neat performance tool, but live sampling capabilities will seldom be used in real world situations. DJs need samplers more for jingles/sirens/synth stabs playback.
What would have made me salivate is a built in sampler matrix à la Battery, triggered via external MIDI, and assignable to one channel of the S4. Click "Edit Sampler Matrix", edit the matrix, bam! ready to rock your 100 samples army. No live sampling, just playback of a pre programmed, huge set of samples.
This way, they would have kept the control panel tidier, lowered the S4 price, made me consider switching.
This said, it's very possible that for some users live sampling is a game changer, not for me though.
What would have made me salivate is a built in sampler matrix à la Battery, triggered via external MIDI, and assignable to one channel of the S4. Click "Edit Sampler Matrix", edit the matrix, bam! ready to rock your 100 samples army. No live sampling, just playback of a pre programmed, huge set of samples.
This way, they would have kept the control panel tidier, lowered the S4 price, made me consider switching.
This said, it's very possible that for some users live sampling is a game changer, not for me though.
DJ Urkel Dee
12:42 PM - 10 November, 2010
@djceria... Sounds good... do u think "Itch" will have that feature anytime soon?
haze324
2:28 PM - 10 November, 2010
My S4 arrive just now. Haven't played on it - just opened it up and installed software and checked out the hardware. Intial thoughts
- It’s big, well it’s wide. Won’t fit in a cramped booth. But it’s super light.
- Buttons and knobs are right off the X1. They feel great
- Jogs feel A LOT like a CDJ, but I can see why they had to do the calibration deal. They’re heavy and feel good – but the platter on top im “iffy” about. The platters are also mini vinyls with tiny grooves. We’ll see how they are once I play on it.
- Faders. AWESOME. Volume faders are heavy enough that they won’t move on their own or accidental brush, same as the pitch sliders. The move great too. Crossfader is perfect. They don’t feel cheap like a controller at all.
- Layout – it’s a bit crammed, but they made little things to keep you from accidentally hit things. For example the load button has a little plastic ring around it and the button sits flush with the ring. So you have to push past the tiny ring to actually push the button. It was built very well but it’s crammed in the center, and there’s tons of knobs and buttons. A VCI-300 + VFC-1 is a MUCH MUCH easier set up.
Better review tomorrow once I play on it for a few hours.
This is gonna be around for a while. It's a VERY nice (looking) piece of gear.
There's definetly a market for this.
- It’s big, well it’s wide. Won’t fit in a cramped booth. But it’s super light.
- Buttons and knobs are right off the X1. They feel great
- Jogs feel A LOT like a CDJ, but I can see why they had to do the calibration deal. They’re heavy and feel good – but the platter on top im “iffy” about. The platters are also mini vinyls with tiny grooves. We’ll see how they are once I play on it.
- Faders. AWESOME. Volume faders are heavy enough that they won’t move on their own or accidental brush, same as the pitch sliders. The move great too. Crossfader is perfect. They don’t feel cheap like a controller at all.
- Layout – it’s a bit crammed, but they made little things to keep you from accidentally hit things. For example the load button has a little plastic ring around it and the button sits flush with the ring. So you have to push past the tiny ring to actually push the button. It was built very well but it’s crammed in the center, and there’s tons of knobs and buttons. A VCI-300 + VFC-1 is a MUCH MUCH easier set up.
Better review tomorrow once I play on it for a few hours.
This is gonna be around for a while. It's a VERY nice (looking) piece of gear.
There's definetly a market for this.
kraal
3:26 PM - 10 November, 2010
This said, it's very possible that for some users live sampling is a game changer, not for me though.
actually this is exactly what i want as a sampler goes i don't just want a play bacl or random sirens ect a simple live simpler in the soft ware--- making party breaks and looped transitions on the fly.
Quote:
The S4 sampler is a neat performance tool, but live sampling capabilities will seldom be used in real world situations. DJs need samplers more for jingles/sirens/synth stabs playback.This said, it's very possible that for some users live sampling is a game changer, not for me though.
actually this is exactly what i want as a sampler goes i don't just want a play bacl or random sirens ect a simple live simpler in the soft ware--- making party breaks and looped transitions on the fly.
yeahdef
4:13 PM - 10 November, 2010
just did 4 hours last night with the S4.
I like it more than the vci300 or xonedx, but im keeping my v7s.
it's actually quite a nice piece of kit, no dropouts at all, jogs are really impressive.
I like it more than the vci300 or xonedx, but im keeping my v7s.
it's actually quite a nice piece of kit, no dropouts at all, jogs are really impressive.
Rebelguy
5:34 PM - 10 November, 2010
I like it more than the vci300 or xonedx, but im keeping my v7s.
it's actually quite a nice piece of kit, no dropouts at all, jogs are really impressive.
Out of curiosity what type of music do you spin and are you using the Beatgrids?
Quote:
just did 4 hours last night with the S4.I like it more than the vci300 or xonedx, but im keeping my v7s.
it's actually quite a nice piece of kit, no dropouts at all, jogs are really impressive.
Out of curiosity what type of music do you spin and are you using the Beatgrids?
DJ Urkel Dee
5:48 PM - 10 November, 2010
Sounds like the controller is a winner... Although I'm not in the market for hardware right now I agree with yeadef about my V7's:) I can't wait till S4 software is released.
Steele725
6:33 PM - 10 November, 2010
Seems to me the only way Serato's gonna be able to compete is if they release the Bridge for ITCH asap. Right now my XoneDX seems incomparable, and it really pisses me off that they didn't release the bridge software for ITCH along with Scratch as they led us to believe it would. Sometime in 11' is way too vague, I highly suggest they finish up this software very soon or their going to start losing ALOT of customers, including myself.
The Reverand
7:29 PM - 10 November, 2010
After having played with my S4 (finally) and having used The Bridge I think I can safely say that even with the Bridge, ITCH has a long way to go before it touches Traktor S4.
Steele725, your not wrong on your last point. Sadly Serato already lost one, ME.
Steele725, your not wrong on your last point. Sadly Serato already lost one, ME.
yeahdef
7:34 PM - 10 November, 2010
Out of curiosity what type of music do you spin and are you using the Beatgrids?
all types.
yes.
Quote:
Out of curiosity what type of music do you spin and are you using the Beatgrids?
all types.
yes.
Rebelguy
8:51 PM - 10 November, 2010
Out of curiosity what type of music do you spin and are you using the Beatgrids?
all types.
yes.[/quote
Are you by using the Beatgrids to Sync? If so what do you do with songs that drift?
Quote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity what type of music do you spin and are you using the Beatgrids?
all types.
yes.[/quote
Are you by using the Beatgrids to Sync? If so what do you do with songs that drift?
yeahdef
9:18 PM - 10 November, 2010
in my experience, if you grid the song properly, it will not drift.
if i'm bringing in a song that i haven't already gridded out, I just beatmatch it by ear.
Quote:
Are you by using the Beatgrids to Sync? If so what do you do with songs that drift?in my experience, if you grid the song properly, it will not drift.
if i'm bringing in a song that i haven't already gridded out, I just beatmatch it by ear.
KLH
9:20 PM - 10 November, 2010
That skill will always be required no matter what - even if it's just to validate that the beat-gridding works.
-KLH
Quote:
I just beatmatch it by ear.That skill will always be required no matter what - even if it's just to validate that the beat-gridding works.
-KLH
Kanario Dj Producer
10:36 PM - 10 November, 2010
Mostly all of the deck features like cue and play, the jog wheel work with the sampler! I can control the sampler like a regular deck! So if I want to drop a siren for example at any point in time, I just cue the sample and hit play. Plus I still have the sampler dedicated trigger buttons just in case one need to switch the transport controls to another deck! The sampler works equally well with one shots and loop samples!
Steele725
11:30 PM - 10 November, 2010
Steele725, your not wrong on your last point. Sadly Serato already lost one, ME.
Appreciate your response Kanario, Id love yours (or anyones) opinion as to my next move having played with the Bridge. Do you think that the producing/controllerist creativity offered in the S4 could really match what is perceived to be possible with the Bridge? I feel Ableton has way more sampling/effects capabilities than Traktor. If integrated with Itch it could also be used with A&H's 20 channel soundcard built in the DX.. Im more of a controllerist in electro, glitch/trip hop and dubstep.
(Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 Soundcard, Ableton 8 Suite, 2 Technics 1200's, Novation Remote SL25, A&H XoneDX, APC40)
Quote:
After having played with my S4 (finally) and having used The Bridge I think I can safely say that even with the Bridge, ITCH has a long way to go before it touches Traktor S4.Steele725, your not wrong on your last point. Sadly Serato already lost one, ME.
Appreciate your response Kanario, Id love yours (or anyones) opinion as to my next move having played with the Bridge. Do you think that the producing/controllerist creativity offered in the S4 could really match what is perceived to be possible with the Bridge? I feel Ableton has way more sampling/effects capabilities than Traktor. If integrated with Itch it could also be used with A&H's 20 channel soundcard built in the DX.. Im more of a controllerist in electro, glitch/trip hop and dubstep.
(Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 Soundcard, Ableton 8 Suite, 2 Technics 1200's, Novation Remote SL25, A&H XoneDX, APC40)
Steele725
11:37 PM - 10 November, 2010
My last message was directed to "The Reverand," not Kanario, my apologies.
kraal
11:44 PM - 10 November, 2010
problem with bridge is extra money for ableton and a learning curve... ableton controls are different than dj controls... traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
DJ Urkel Dee
3:04 AM - 11 November, 2010
Quote:
problem with bridge is extra money for ableton and a learning curve... ableton controls are different than dj controls... traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
suaveboy
3:26 AM - 11 November, 2010
problem with bridge is extra money for ableton and a learning curve... ableton controls are different than dj controls... traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
Quote:
Quote:
problem with bridge is extra money for ableton and a learning curve... ableton controls are different than dj controls... traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
Dj Fitty
2:45 PM - 11 November, 2010
@Kraal I believe there is a lot more to come. N.I. hired Chad from Torq (the man behind the Xponent and alot of Torq's ideas) So cant wait to see some more of his ideas in this S4
Quote:
traktor simplifies it and put it in one package@Kraal I believe there is a lot more to come. N.I. hired Chad from Torq (the man behind the Xponent and alot of Torq's ideas) So cant wait to see some more of his ideas in this S4
nik39
3:16 PM - 11 November, 2010
traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
@Kraal I believe there is a lot more to come. N.I. hired Chad from Torq (the man behind the Xponent and alot of Torq's ideas) So cant wait to see some more of his ideas in this S4
What's up with Torq BTW? The last thing I saw was this at this years BPM show:
img607.imageshack.us <- click
Quote:
Quote:
traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
@Kraal I believe there is a lot more to come. N.I. hired Chad from Torq (the man behind the Xponent and alot of Torq's ideas) So cant wait to see some more of his ideas in this S4
What's up with Torq BTW? The last thing I saw was this at this years BPM show:
img607.imageshack.us <- click
KLH
4:11 PM - 11 November, 2010
The poster falling over is CLASSIC! LOL!
They really should rename Torq to Drift. Great DJ app, but the sticker drift kills it.
-KLH
They really should rename Torq to Drift. Great DJ app, but the sticker drift kills it.
-KLH
Dj Fitty
4:54 PM - 11 November, 2010
They really should rename Torq to Drift. Great DJ app, but the sticker drift kills it.
-KLH
Torq has some really good features and ideas but never could really seam to get their data base to work properly, it seems they just stopped working on it
Quote:
The poster falling over is CLASSIC! LOL!They really should rename Torq to Drift. Great DJ app, but the sticker drift kills it.
-KLH
Torq has some really good features and ideas but never could really seam to get their data base to work properly, it seems they just stopped working on it
kraal
5:37 PM - 11 November, 2010
traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
@Kraal I believe there is a lot more to come. N.I. hired Chad from Torq (the man behind the Xponent and alot of Torq's ideas) So cant wait to see some more of his ideas in this S4
just to make sure you are following me --- what i said was not an insult to the s4
Quote:
Quote:
traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
@Kraal I believe there is a lot more to come. N.I. hired Chad from Torq (the man behind the Xponent and alot of Torq's ideas) So cant wait to see some more of his ideas in this S4
just to make sure you are following me --- what i said was not an insult to the s4
Dj Fitty
5:46 PM - 11 November, 2010
traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
@Kraal I believe there is a lot more to come. N.I. hired Chad from Torq (the man behind the Xponent and alot of Torq's ideas) So cant wait to see some more of his ideas in this S4
just to make sure you are following me --- what i said was not an insult to the s4
Roger That
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
traktor simplifies it and put it in one package
@Kraal I believe there is a lot more to come. N.I. hired Chad from Torq (the man behind the Xponent and alot of Torq's ideas) So cant wait to see some more of his ideas in this S4
just to make sure you are following me --- what i said was not an insult to the s4
Roger That
KLH
8:34 PM - 11 November, 2010
I can't help but keep clicking and laughing - but it's not funny. It's SOOO sad what AVID did to Torq. Shame on them.
Anyways, back to the S4.
In case anyone is interested, here's the manual and poster:
[links removed]
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
-KLH
I can't help but keep clicking and laughing - but it's not funny. It's SOOO sad what AVID did to Torq. Shame on them.
Anyways, back to the S4.
In case anyone is interested, here's the manual and poster:
[links removed]
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
-KLH
KLH
8:39 PM - 11 November, 2010
... and no, I do NOT own the Kontrol S4. If it had 12" rotating platters - I wouldn't have made a thread.
-KLH
-KLH
Dj Fitty
12:02 AM - 12 November, 2010
That S4 is looking better to me every day. Gonna wait a few months until the wrinkles are mostly ironed out before I purchase. Who knows, maybe Itch will come out with a big announcement
Rebelguy
1:11 AM - 12 November, 2010
Actually there will be three big hardware announcements.
Quote:
That S4 is looking better to me every day. Gonna wait a few months until the wrinkles are mostly ironed out before I purchase. Who knows, maybe Itch will come out with a big announcementActually there will be three big hardware announcements.
KLH
1:21 AM - 12 November, 2010
Just in case this (great) thread gets lost, check out a VCI-300 to Kontrol S4 comparison:
serato.com
Excellent job, Haze324! Those are questions that most are asking right now.
-KLH
serato.com
Excellent job, Haze324! Those are questions that most are asking right now.
-KLH
kraal
2:55 AM - 12 November, 2010
Actually there will be three big hardware announcements.
anything exciting we should know about?
Quote:
Actually there will be three big hardware announcements.
anything exciting we should know about?
haze324
6:03 AM - 13 November, 2010
My REVIEW
I played last night for a little over 3 hours. Here’s the breakdown
1.5 hour – hip hop/old school
30min – reggae
30min – r&b
30min – 80’s, Motown (Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder type shit)
The GOOD:
This thing is very comfy -- the size is perfect. The knobs, buttons and faders all felt like A+ quality gear. The new GUI is very easy to look at and it has an “essential” view that strips away many un-needed icons, huge improvement. The sound quality is fvcking awesome. I played on 4 Yamaha 15’s, some Peavy PA highs, and a Peavy AMP/PA system. The bass was deep and rich for those with an NS7, this sounds just a good and much better than a VCI. EQ’s, Filter’s, etc all sound great. Sample decks work as advertised. If your close to the BPM’s they will sync and sound great and on time – no need for keylock if your close to the playing BPM. Jogs react very fast in platter response and pitch bend – size was not an issue. Effects lay out is perfect and easy to use. White stripes on the knobs are easy to see in a dark booth. Volume meters are the perfect color. Buttons react on time and fast (when not in “sync” they are dead on, when sync’d, or quantized the delay happens to get the song in sync). Also, pretty neat that any loop you take from a playing deck and play in a sampler deck, automatically get’s saved in your sample folder for future use. Without a doubt the bar has been set. It’s everything it’s advertised to be.
The BAD:
New layout confused me a few times with the buttons and I re-cued a song, one time I even stopped the playing deck (luckily I had a loop going). Still not use to the jogs not having any tension (jog review here: www.serato.com) IN the booth this thing looks and feels solid. As soon as I picked up to leave, it felt a light and fragile. I also forgot to check the headphone volume in the software not sure what it was at, but at full volume on the hardware the sound was pretty low (I need to double check the software – there is a software cue and master volume, and there is also a hardware cue and master volume). Also the Cue Mix control is on the front of the controller (vs. the top like a vci) next to volume by the jack. I kept forgetting which one was which and listening to the wrong song. I stopped messing with it after a while. My biggest drawback has nothing to do with the S4 hardware….it’s the waveforms in comparison to Itch. Straight up colored waveforms, stacked, with a much better grid system is a HUGE tool. I think for EDM the S4 is insane and I probably play more House music than hip hop normally. However, last night when playing hip-hop I could’ve just turned off the grids or not even had waveforms the majority of the night was done by ear and to me that’s pointless to have grids or waves that don’t tell you much.
The VERDICT:
The bar is set very high. I’m gonna sell my Itch gear (for now). After playing on the S4 I don’t think I can go back to the VCI. Too cramped, not enough features, etc.. Even if Itch 3.0 came out today on the VCI, the S4 is now the hardware standard. Probably gonna sell the NS7 also, I’m not gonna use that any time soon and don’t feel like lugging that thing around (may keep it just to have platers to mess with at the house). I’m gonna use the S4 strictly until I leave hear in May-Aug time frame. If by then, Itch has a controller that rivals the S4 I’ll give it a very serious look. I figure by then I’ll either be the master of the S4 or know that I need something with comparable features and hardware to satisfy me. Either way I’ve stopped stressing waiting for Itch to make a move, NI hit a homerun with this thing (and I probably only used 30% of it’s potential last night). Itch has its hands full.
I played last night for a little over 3 hours. Here’s the breakdown
1.5 hour – hip hop/old school
30min – reggae
30min – r&b
30min – 80’s, Motown (Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder type shit)
The GOOD:
This thing is very comfy -- the size is perfect. The knobs, buttons and faders all felt like A+ quality gear. The new GUI is very easy to look at and it has an “essential” view that strips away many un-needed icons, huge improvement. The sound quality is fvcking awesome. I played on 4 Yamaha 15’s, some Peavy PA highs, and a Peavy AMP/PA system. The bass was deep and rich for those with an NS7, this sounds just a good and much better than a VCI. EQ’s, Filter’s, etc all sound great. Sample decks work as advertised. If your close to the BPM’s they will sync and sound great and on time – no need for keylock if your close to the playing BPM. Jogs react very fast in platter response and pitch bend – size was not an issue. Effects lay out is perfect and easy to use. White stripes on the knobs are easy to see in a dark booth. Volume meters are the perfect color. Buttons react on time and fast (when not in “sync” they are dead on, when sync’d, or quantized the delay happens to get the song in sync). Also, pretty neat that any loop you take from a playing deck and play in a sampler deck, automatically get’s saved in your sample folder for future use. Without a doubt the bar has been set. It’s everything it’s advertised to be.
The BAD:
New layout confused me a few times with the buttons and I re-cued a song, one time I even stopped the playing deck (luckily I had a loop going). Still not use to the jogs not having any tension (jog review here: www.serato.com) IN the booth this thing looks and feels solid. As soon as I picked up to leave, it felt a light and fragile. I also forgot to check the headphone volume in the software not sure what it was at, but at full volume on the hardware the sound was pretty low (I need to double check the software – there is a software cue and master volume, and there is also a hardware cue and master volume). Also the Cue Mix control is on the front of the controller (vs. the top like a vci) next to volume by the jack. I kept forgetting which one was which and listening to the wrong song. I stopped messing with it after a while. My biggest drawback has nothing to do with the S4 hardware….it’s the waveforms in comparison to Itch. Straight up colored waveforms, stacked, with a much better grid system is a HUGE tool. I think for EDM the S4 is insane and I probably play more House music than hip hop normally. However, last night when playing hip-hop I could’ve just turned off the grids or not even had waveforms the majority of the night was done by ear and to me that’s pointless to have grids or waves that don’t tell you much.
The VERDICT:
The bar is set very high. I’m gonna sell my Itch gear (for now). After playing on the S4 I don’t think I can go back to the VCI. Too cramped, not enough features, etc.. Even if Itch 3.0 came out today on the VCI, the S4 is now the hardware standard. Probably gonna sell the NS7 also, I’m not gonna use that any time soon and don’t feel like lugging that thing around (may keep it just to have platers to mess with at the house). I’m gonna use the S4 strictly until I leave hear in May-Aug time frame. If by then, Itch has a controller that rivals the S4 I’ll give it a very serious look. I figure by then I’ll either be the master of the S4 or know that I need something with comparable features and hardware to satisfy me. Either way I’ve stopped stressing waiting for Itch to make a move, NI hit a homerun with this thing (and I probably only used 30% of it’s potential last night). Itch has its hands full.
haze324
7:23 PM - 13 November, 2010
something to add about the waveforms in Traktor for those considering it. They are not that good unless it's EDM music. With EDM music the grids and the waveforms are great, with anything else the waveforms suck and the grid's are sometimes not on a down beat and sometimes you can't even tell what a down beat is by the waveform. The waves and grids in Itch are a thing of beauty. That's the one thing that keeps me hanging on to Itch for the future.
I chuckle because when people thing Traktor they thing "Sync" but Itch has better waves and grids, and even if you don't sync you just line up waveforms. Last night on a bunch of him-hop songs I had to strictly use my ears and im not gonna lie - I was off when I first got started.
I chuckle because when people thing Traktor they thing "Sync" but Itch has better waves and grids, and even if you don't sync you just line up waveforms. Last night on a bunch of him-hop songs I had to strictly use my ears and im not gonna lie - I was off when I first got started.
kraal
8:50 PM - 13 November, 2010
haze just advise from one dj to the next dont rush to sell the ns7 -- there is still the 'new factor' of the s4 that is at hand after that wears of the ns7 might not be so unexciting
haze324
9:22 PM - 13 November, 2010
kraal - good advice man. I most likely will keep it to have some platters to play on a the house and keep a great piece of gear. I just don't see me every getting motivated enough to pack up the NS7 and take anywhere to gig with.
...plus I'm away from home for sometime and it's just sitting in storage.
Yeah I'll keep it. That thing is just fun to play on.
...plus I'm away from home for sometime and it's just sitting in storage.
Yeah I'll keep it. That thing is just fun to play on.
seratosnatch
9:24 PM - 13 November, 2010
I agree with Kraal..plus.. if and when 2.0 comes out, who knows what will be on the platter. I love my Xone Dx and Itch and does the job for me. My mixes have never been better in terms of music selection and the mix.
DJ Urkel Dee
11:39 PM - 13 November, 2010
I can't ever see getting rid of the V7's also... But that's hardware... Hoping Itch 2.0 makes magic OR....
Kanario Dj Producer
12:37 AM - 14 November, 2010
I see a lot of guys talking about the Wave in Itch and Traktor! When I play I don't see that much of a difference, The colored wave in Itch made sense in the past when we didn't have grids. Adding color to the wave in Traktor is useless! The beat matching capabilities in Traktor are so good, that you can press the play button blind folded, in complete silence and play 2 tracks in beat! It has a snap to grid feature that allowed you to press play at any point in time, and the songs will be perfectly aligned!
So the crayola waves in Itch have color for a reason, and the small window in the middle helping you beat match song is there for another reason! The fact that waves are on top or next to the other in Itch is for a reason! And the reason is:
SERATO DIDN'T HAVE ANY AUTOMATIC SYNC CAPABILITIES! So the visual cue was needed! Now it is just part of the product GUI. Traktor because of its superior beatmatching and quantize capabilities does not need any of that!
So the crayola waves in Itch have color for a reason, and the small window in the middle helping you beat match song is there for another reason! The fact that waves are on top or next to the other in Itch is for a reason! And the reason is:
SERATO DIDN'T HAVE ANY AUTOMATIC SYNC CAPABILITIES! So the visual cue was needed! Now it is just part of the product GUI. Traktor because of its superior beatmatching and quantize capabilities does not need any of that!
Ragman
3:23 AM - 14 November, 2010
I use the wave color scheme in Itch for more then just beat matching and sync. It's perfect for backspins to a certain point on a track without having to use headphones. But I do see what you mean.
haze324
4:49 AM - 14 November, 2010
^ Agree. THe Itch waves and color provide ALOT more than just something to beatmatch with. Also, I don't think the AutoGrid system in Traktor is all that great outside of EDM 4/4 songs.
djcerla
4:57 AM - 14 November, 2010
So the crayola waves in Itch have color for a reason, and the small window in the middle helping you beat match song is there for another reason! The fact that waves are on top or next to the other in Itch is for a reason! And the reason is:
SERATO DIDN'T HAVE ANY AUTOMATIC SYNC CAPABILITIES! So the visual cue was needed! Now it is just part of the product GUI. Traktor because of its superior beatmatching and quantize capabilities does not need any of that!
So wholly wrong.
Quote:
I see a lot of guys talking about the Wave in Itch and Traktor! When I play I don't see that much of a difference, The colored wave in Itch made sense in the past when we didn't have grids. Adding color to the wave in Traktor is useless! The beat matching capabilities in Traktor are so good, that you can press the play button blind folded, in complete silence and play 2 tracks in beat! It has a snap to grid feature that allowed you to press play at any point in time, and the songs will be perfectly aligned!So the crayola waves in Itch have color for a reason, and the small window in the middle helping you beat match song is there for another reason! The fact that waves are on top or next to the other in Itch is for a reason! And the reason is:
SERATO DIDN'T HAVE ANY AUTOMATIC SYNC CAPABILITIES! So the visual cue was needed! Now it is just part of the product GUI. Traktor because of its superior beatmatching and quantize capabilities does not need any of that!
So wholly wrong.
Kanario Dj Producer
9:59 AM - 14 November, 2010
Today while I was playing with my S4, I decided to play with 4 tracks, I sync 3 decks at 127bpm house beats and leads, and I had another deck with a hip hop beat at about 63bpm, this deck was not synced! all of them playing in pure harmony! If I try to do the same thing with Itch, I need to call a baby sitter before getting a drink!
Your mixes are going to be as good as your gridding! This is true in Traktor and will be the same with Itch and Scratch Live! Auto grid is good with EDM because it can recognize the pattern more easily!
But what is it about waves. All I need to see are the peaks and valleys, no need for colors! Waves are just a reference! or a luxury. didn't need it and didn't miss it when I had the CDJs.
Quote:
^ Agree. THe Itch waves and color provide ALOT more than just something to beatmatch with. Also, I don't think the AutoGrid system in Traktor is all that great outside of EDM 4/4 songs.Today while I was playing with my S4, I decided to play with 4 tracks, I sync 3 decks at 127bpm house beats and leads, and I had another deck with a hip hop beat at about 63bpm, this deck was not synced! all of them playing in pure harmony! If I try to do the same thing with Itch, I need to call a baby sitter before getting a drink!
Your mixes are going to be as good as your gridding! This is true in Traktor and will be the same with Itch and Scratch Live! Auto grid is good with EDM because it can recognize the pattern more easily!
But what is it about waves. All I need to see are the peaks and valleys, no need for colors! Waves are just a reference! or a luxury. didn't need it and didn't miss it when I had the CDJs.
haze324
11:19 AM - 14 November, 2010
Yeah the ability to sync only works as good as your gridding and Itch has a better grid system. I've bugged the guys a bit about warpable gridding and I think there is enough of a demand for it that Traktor will introduce it to the S4 sometime next year. It only makes sense with the competion (Ableton and Itch) having it.
The colors for me do wonders because I can get away with not having to count beats and bars on vocals to bring in the next track. I can look up and see that a vocal is comeing or about to end and "guestimate" how much time I have for a transition. It lays out the sounds of track with out me having to listen to it or remember how long a certain portion goes for.
I think the S4 is a an awesome piece of hardware, I also think the S4 software is a tremendous upgrade from TP both asthetically and in features. WIth some warpable grids and some more descriptive waves it would be perfect (for my needs).
The colors for me do wonders because I can get away with not having to count beats and bars on vocals to bring in the next track. I can look up and see that a vocal is comeing or about to end and "guestimate" how much time I have for a transition. It lays out the sounds of track with out me having to listen to it or remember how long a certain portion goes for.
I think the S4 is a an awesome piece of hardware, I also think the S4 software is a tremendous upgrade from TP both asthetically and in features. WIth some warpable grids and some more descriptive waves it would be perfect (for my needs).
seratosnatch
12:51 PM - 14 November, 2010
I have no problems with Itch and Sync..works fine in 1.7.1. love it!
For me the grids in Itch are easier to manage than in Traktor.
For me the grids in Itch are easier to manage than in Traktor.
Kanario Dj Producer
7:36 PM - 14 November, 2010
The colors for me do wonders because I can get away with not having to count beats and bars on vocals to bring in the next track. I can look up and see that a vocal is coming or about to end and "guestimate" how much time I have for a transition. It lays out the sounds of track with out me having to listen to it or remember how long a certain portion goes for
The DJs best friend are his ears! I can mix all day without any visual cue! I come from the DJ Old School! I don't have to count any bars there is something inside of my head that tells me all kind of information about a song while it is playing. When the chorus is coming, the verse, etc, In electronic music this is super easy! Music is like Math! Modern music is so repetitive, and so easy to make, that producers are laughing all the way to the bank with this!
Anyone can develop this musical sense! First thing one need to know is how songs are put together. Every genre has it's own style! but the pieces are the same: Intro, chorus, verse, etc. All this pieces are rearranged depending on the genre. there are exceptions of course!
My point is that any DJ can develop this sixth sense if you will! The colored waves are unreliable, your ears are not! They are perfect. And perfect is a word that will never be applied in Electronics, including software!
Quote:
The colors for me do wonders because I can get away with not having to count beats and bars on vocals to bring in the next track. I can look up and see that a vocal is coming or about to end and "guestimate" how much time I have for a transition. It lays out the sounds of track with out me having to listen to it or remember how long a certain portion goes for
The DJs best friend are his ears! I can mix all day without any visual cue! I come from the DJ Old School! I don't have to count any bars there is something inside of my head that tells me all kind of information about a song while it is playing. When the chorus is coming, the verse, etc, In electronic music this is super easy! Music is like Math! Modern music is so repetitive, and so easy to make, that producers are laughing all the way to the bank with this!
Anyone can develop this musical sense! First thing one need to know is how songs are put together. Every genre has it's own style! but the pieces are the same: Intro, chorus, verse, etc. All this pieces are rearranged depending on the genre. there are exceptions of course!
My point is that any DJ can develop this sixth sense if you will! The colored waves are unreliable, your ears are not! They are perfect. And perfect is a word that will never be applied in Electronics, including software!
kraal
7:45 PM - 14 November, 2010
it is a preference someone says they like and use the color waveforms then leave it at that a history of why you dont isnt going to change some ones mind after a while it becomes talking in circles for the sake of talking
Kanario Dj Producer
10:14 PM - 14 November, 2010
You know what is nonsense? Talking smack about a product that you have not even touched! It is not only nonsense is baseless! Nonsense is telling people here that it is better to carry around a bunch of equipment, samplers, your beloved keyboard with the 70 plus samples, ns7, computer, etc, etc, etc......as opposed to using a single piece of equipment that can do the same thing, like the S4. That is nonsense unless you want to break your back!
I'm not trying to convince anyone here! I'm expressing my point of view! And my point of view is not money! some people here don't read every post. and yes! we are all talking in circles because Itch has not given us anything new to talk about!
Quote:
What a bunch of nonsense, Kanario.You know what is nonsense? Talking smack about a product that you have not even touched! It is not only nonsense is baseless! Nonsense is telling people here that it is better to carry around a bunch of equipment, samplers, your beloved keyboard with the 70 plus samples, ns7, computer, etc, etc, etc......as opposed to using a single piece of equipment that can do the same thing, like the S4. That is nonsense unless you want to break your back!
Quote:
it is a preference someone says they like and use the color waveforms then leave it at that a history of why you dont isnt going to change some ones mind after a while it becomes talking in circles for the sake of talkingI'm not trying to convince anyone here! I'm expressing my point of view! And my point of view is not money! some people here don't read every post. and yes! we are all talking in circles because Itch has not given us anything new to talk about!
Rebelguy
10:52 PM - 14 November, 2010
You know what is nonsense? Talking smack about a product that you have not even touched! It is not only nonsense is baseless! Nonsense is telling people here that it is better to carry around a bunch of equipment, samplers, your beloved keyboard with the 70 plus samples, ns7, computer, etc, etc, etc......as opposed to using a single piece of equipment that can do the same thing, like the S4. That is nonsense unless you want to break your back!
I have to agree with this one.
Quote:
You know what is nonsense? Talking smack about a product that you have not even touched! It is not only nonsense is baseless! Nonsense is telling people here that it is better to carry around a bunch of equipment, samplers, your beloved keyboard with the 70 plus samples, ns7, computer, etc, etc, etc......as opposed to using a single piece of equipment that can do the same thing, like the S4. That is nonsense unless you want to break your back!
I have to agree with this one.
djcerla
11:23 PM - 14 November, 2010
This is pure nonsense, and it's just an example.
"talking smack"? the S4 is a good product with its shortcomings like a cluttered interface. As opposite, I'm only defending ITCH (we're on ITCH forum after all), highlighting the advantages some setups (like mine) have over the S4. And FYI I have a S4 here for magazine test since last Thursday.
Can you quote when I said it's "better"? No, of course, because I've never said such a stupid thing. I was only refering to the limited S4 sampler capabilities over a proper sampler (which is an undeniably true fact); you shouldn't try to twist other people's words.
While you write things like:
I sync 3 decks at 127bpm house beats and leads, and I had another deck with a hip hop beat at about 63bpm, this deck was not synced! all of them playing in pure harmony! If I try to do the same thing with Itch, I need to call a baby sitter before getting a drink!
without being aware that the Xone:DX (the only 4 decks enabled ITCH controller so far) can SYNC 4 decks in total no-babysit mode, on a much more powerful beatgrid system that allows for proper warping whereas Traktor's one lags behind.
You should research more before attacking other people and/or spraying shit blindly on the ITCH platform, otherwise you'll only end up looking dumb.
Quote:
The colored waves are unreliableThis is pure nonsense, and it's just an example.
Quote:
Talking smack about a product that you have not even touched!"talking smack"? the S4 is a good product with its shortcomings like a cluttered interface. As opposite, I'm only defending ITCH (we're on ITCH forum after all), highlighting the advantages some setups (like mine) have over the S4. And FYI I have a S4 here for magazine test since last Thursday.
Quote:
It is not only nonsense is baseless! Nonsense is telling people here that it is better to carry around a bunch of equipmentCan you quote when I said it's "better"? No, of course, because I've never said such a stupid thing. I was only refering to the limited S4 sampler capabilities over a proper sampler (which is an undeniably true fact); you shouldn't try to twist other people's words.
While you write things like:
Quote:
I sync 3 decks at 127bpm house beats and leads, and I had another deck with a hip hop beat at about 63bpm, this deck was not synced! all of them playing in pure harmony! If I try to do the same thing with Itch, I need to call a baby sitter before getting a drink!
without being aware that the Xone:DX (the only 4 decks enabled ITCH controller so far) can SYNC 4 decks in total no-babysit mode, on a much more powerful beatgrid system that allows for proper warping whereas Traktor's one lags behind.
You should research more before attacking other people and/or spraying shit blindly on the ITCH platform, otherwise you'll only end up looking dumb.
DJ Urkel Dee
6:31 AM - 15 November, 2010
Question... If Itch were to add a sampler how would people like us take advantage of it? and by "us" I mean people who own NS7's, V7's, DX's and the rest of the 1:1 hardwire Itch gear... Is everyone suggesting bite the bullet and buy new gear?
haze324
6:53 AM - 15 November, 2010
I’ve thought about this tons and this is where I think Serato has but themselves in a box. Perhaps if a sampler was introduced for current Itch hardware owners it would work as the SP-6 with your keyboard. I don’t know how effect that would be in comparison to other samplers out right now, but hey – it would be something more than what is currently available. Perhaps additional hardware – but that would suck. I don’t think there is a good answer. Very curious to see what Serato has for Itch – they’ve got some stiff completion with the S4. It would be very unfortunate for them to release a new piece of hardware with all the solutions and then what happens to the current owners. I’m beginning to think that the Itch closed hardware protocol is going to be tough to coordinate with 4 different companies.
kraal
7:09 AM - 15 November, 2010
if you use vdj with the vfx-1 you will see that the vfx-1 can control a sampler
kraal
7:10 AM - 15 November, 2010
besides i still say ableton coming out with an ITCH sampler hardware would work
wadup
7:18 AM - 15 November, 2010
Initially there was no plan to add sampler in the upcoming 2.0, I was one of the many who was begging for a sampler, but like many dj did they improvise and used other alternatives, eg. Kueit great program. If serato does decide to add a sampler, I think the best thing to do is add midi assignable for sampler only....
kraal
8:11 AM - 15 November, 2010
or create a stand alone serato sampler software that works with ssl and ITCH and that can be run by any midi controller you choose
Quote:
. If serato does decide to add a sampler, I think the best thing to do is add midi assignable for sampler only....or create a stand alone serato sampler software that works with ssl and ITCH and that can be run by any midi controller you choose
KLH
5:45 PM - 15 November, 2010
^ Wouldn't that be (ahem) Ableton Live via the Bridge? THAT seems to be Serato's solution for ITCH. Unfortunately, it's a VERY EXPENSIVE solution because you need to buy Ableton Live 8.
-KLH
-KLH
kraal
5:47 PM - 15 November, 2010
-KLH
nope live is too big
Quote:
^ Wouldn't that be (ahem) Ableton Live via the Bridge? THAT seems to be Serato's solution for ITCH. Unfortunately, it's a VERY EXPENSIVE solution because you need to buy Ableton Live 8.-KLH
nope live is too big
DJ Urkel Dee
7:28 PM - 15 November, 2010
Since I produce and DJ I've owned Ableton for yrs now (but not to happy with paying for the update in order to use bridge) the issue is much deeper than just adding a feature... Some people have touched on the subject but only lightly and thats the business relationship between Serato/Rane. No one can deny SSL as being a great piece but I can't help but have the feeling that Rane is controlling much of what Serato is allowed to do with Itch.
1.The look of Itch (although there are several versions of Traktor cosmetically they look the same (except for S4)
2.The supply and demand from other companies wanting to be part of the SL movement. but couldn't because of Rane so Serato had to come with Itch.
However I do applaud the concept of Itch and Serato's relationship with A&H and Numark I really feel like they should release Itch as software only and allow "US" users to use whatever hardware we choose... the 1:1 is great if you want all-in-one but I think Serato is spreading itself too thin with Itch and this format because they have to approach every piece of gear this way and that's hurting us in the end with slow updates and features. Serato is great with adding features and listening to the consumer but with them tying their hands by locking themselves in with companies and hardware they are shooting themselves in the foot... If all Serato had to do was focus on Software, Features and Updates All other companies like N.I. would have serious problems. IMHO
1.The look of Itch (although there are several versions of Traktor cosmetically they look the same (except for S4)
2.The supply and demand from other companies wanting to be part of the SL movement. but couldn't because of Rane so Serato had to come with Itch.
However I do applaud the concept of Itch and Serato's relationship with A&H and Numark I really feel like they should release Itch as software only and allow "US" users to use whatever hardware we choose... the 1:1 is great if you want all-in-one but I think Serato is spreading itself too thin with Itch and this format because they have to approach every piece of gear this way and that's hurting us in the end with slow updates and features. Serato is great with adding features and listening to the consumer but with them tying their hands by locking themselves in with companies and hardware they are shooting themselves in the foot... If all Serato had to do was focus on Software, Features and Updates All other companies like N.I. would have serious problems. IMHO
Ragman
8:50 PM - 15 November, 2010
But UD if Serato made Itch open to any hardware, wouldn't that essentially make it SSL.
I think there are many DJs out there that are ok with the 1:1 concept of Itch and that is who Serato their partners are targeting.
I think there are many DJs out there that are ok with the 1:1 concept of Itch and that is who Serato their partners are targeting.
suaveboy
8:51 PM - 15 November, 2010
how many?
Quote:
I think there are many DJs out there that are ok with the 1:1 concept of Itch and that is who Serato their partners are targeting.how many?
DJ Urkel Dee
10:34 PM - 15 November, 2010
I think there are many DJs out there that are ok with the 1:1 concept of Itch and that is who Serato their partners are targeting.
That's the whole idea lol... How many people complained about being "stuck" using the Rane box in order to use SL? I think Serato saw their software become very popular but being locked in with Rane couldn't take advantage of spreading the software... Don't get me wrong Rane have great mixers. But I think this is the case of demand for the software more than the demand for the hardware... This is just my opinion.
Quote:
But UD if Serato made Itch open to any hardware, wouldn't that essentially make it SSL.I think there are many DJs out there that are ok with the 1:1 concept of Itch and that is who Serato their partners are targeting.
That's the whole idea lol... How many people complained about being "stuck" using the Rane box in order to use SL? I think Serato saw their software become very popular but being locked in with Rane couldn't take advantage of spreading the software... Don't get me wrong Rane have great mixers. But I think this is the case of demand for the software more than the demand for the hardware... This is just my opinion.
DJ Urkel Dee
11:08 PM - 15 November, 2010
Trust me... With all the complaints and demands customers have put on Serato about Itch I know they are listening... Serato invented SL so it would be no problem to implement the same features such as a sampler and video. But I really feel legally their hands are tied. Itch fanboys can sit here and talk about Itch is Itch and SL is SL but thats a bunch of crap... lack of features is a lack of features... Like Katt Williams said... a 300M looks like a Phantom until a Phantom pulls up lol.
kraal
11:16 PM - 15 November, 2010
I think saying legal hands being tied is off base the only thing legally that cannot be done is have ITCH controllers controll SSL.
that being said ITCH is still young on the development cycle so I honestly say just wait and see what happens with 2.0. Serato anounced that they have decided to re work 2.0 in order to bring more features to its users ( thus the reason 2.0 was not released when it was originally planned)
that being said ITCH is still young on the development cycle so I honestly say just wait and see what happens with 2.0. Serato anounced that they have decided to re work 2.0 in order to bring more features to its users ( thus the reason 2.0 was not released when it was originally planned)
KLH
11:18 PM - 15 November, 2010
I'll take the bait. Yes, SSL is a cash-cow and I'm sure that BOTH Serato and Rane are wondering about how ITCH's success may change the relationship between the two...
but that's irrelevant.
The only thing that matters is top-line sales and so far... SSL is (and will foreseeably be) ahead of ITCH. I understand your point - that Rane forced Serato to do that - but IMHO the difference between Serato's philosophy and competitors - especially NI - is that Serato's focus is making the hardware be the draw.
In SSL's case, you get to use YOUR TTs or CDJs. With ITCH, it's similar - check out how these controllers are very similar to your TTs or CDJs. Also, see how using it is just like using your TTs and CDJs.
The competition - especially NI - doesn't care about keeping the feel of TTs and CDJs. The differentiator, to them, is the software itself. THAT is why Serato doesn't charge end-users/DJs for the software - which is (very) smart.
The game changed with the Xone:DX. For the first time, Serato decided to push SOFTWARE FEATURES (beat-grid, warping, four-decks) in ITCH. I'm sure that NI said "WTF? That's our strategy!" and threw money at stopping the hemorrhage of customers from Traktor to ITCH. Let's face it, which would YOU buy, a Xone:DX or a VCI-100 - Traktor's premier controller.
Now that NI has responded in kind with the Kontrol S4, the 4-deck controller war has started... and IT'S ON. Rane has NOTHING to do with this war because their 4-deck product, the Sixty-Eight, cannot compete with the price/performance of a controller with ITCH or Traktor.
The ball is now in Serato's court... and unfortunately, we have to wait until Winter NAMM to hear the response. All that I know is that I will be saving up my money because if ITCH and Traktor do finally incorporate both sampling AND video, I'm there... unless the NS12 comes out.
-KLH
Quote:
Some people have touched on the subject but only lightly and thats the business relationship between Serato/Rane. No one can deny SSL as being a great piece but I can't help but have the feeling that Rane is controlling much of what Serato is allowed to do with Itch.I'll take the bait. Yes, SSL is a cash-cow and I'm sure that BOTH Serato and Rane are wondering about how ITCH's success may change the relationship between the two...
but that's irrelevant.
The only thing that matters is top-line sales and so far... SSL is (and will foreseeably be) ahead of ITCH. I understand your point - that Rane forced Serato to do that - but IMHO the difference between Serato's philosophy and competitors - especially NI - is that Serato's focus is making the hardware be the draw.
In SSL's case, you get to use YOUR TTs or CDJs. With ITCH, it's similar - check out how these controllers are very similar to your TTs or CDJs. Also, see how using it is just like using your TTs and CDJs.
The competition - especially NI - doesn't care about keeping the feel of TTs and CDJs. The differentiator, to them, is the software itself. THAT is why Serato doesn't charge end-users/DJs for the software - which is (very) smart.
The game changed with the Xone:DX. For the first time, Serato decided to push SOFTWARE FEATURES (beat-grid, warping, four-decks) in ITCH. I'm sure that NI said "WTF? That's our strategy!" and threw money at stopping the hemorrhage of customers from Traktor to ITCH. Let's face it, which would YOU buy, a Xone:DX or a VCI-100 - Traktor's premier controller.
Now that NI has responded in kind with the Kontrol S4, the 4-deck controller war has started... and IT'S ON. Rane has NOTHING to do with this war because their 4-deck product, the Sixty-Eight, cannot compete with the price/performance of a controller with ITCH or Traktor.
The ball is now in Serato's court... and unfortunately, we have to wait until Winter NAMM to hear the response. All that I know is that I will be saving up my money because if ITCH and Traktor do finally incorporate both sampling AND video, I'm there... unless the NS12 comes out.
-KLH
DJ Urkel Dee
1:32 AM - 16 November, 2010
Both valid points but I do think it's still a legal issue with Rane and Serato... Serato doent's make hardware and them spreading themselves thin with 1:1 with so many controllers is not good for the consumer... The gazillion threads on here is proof.
As far as Traktor not caring about keeping the feel is B.S. because they have software for that option also... and that's my whole point about Serato... With them focusing on software instead of so many hardware companies they could be a whole lot more to a whole lot more people... Video/sample and whatever else would have been taken care of... I'm not saying Itch 2.0 won't have the features we are asking for... Just saying the S4 forced their hand and if Serato doesn't react to specific request you know why. I admit I love Traktor but it's not that they are better... we've already said they approach DJin differently... I applaud them for making a open software and you can use it or control it as you please. Maybe Serato need to make SSL-Itch with video and sampler software and allow any midi controller to be used...
As far as Traktor not caring about keeping the feel is B.S. because they have software for that option also... and that's my whole point about Serato... With them focusing on software instead of so many hardware companies they could be a whole lot more to a whole lot more people... Video/sample and whatever else would have been taken care of... I'm not saying Itch 2.0 won't have the features we are asking for... Just saying the S4 forced their hand and if Serato doesn't react to specific request you know why. I admit I love Traktor but it's not that they are better... we've already said they approach DJin differently... I applaud them for making a open software and you can use it or control it as you please. Maybe Serato need to make SSL-Itch with video and sampler software and allow any midi controller to be used...
kraal
1:44 AM - 16 November, 2010
.
actually that is great for the consumer you can choose your controller/your company instead of just choosing one controller you have the choice of the portable vci the motorized decks of the ns7 the 4 decks of the xoneDX ect
and these gazillion threads only prove that most people log on to forums only to complain :)
Quote:
. Serato doent's make hardware and them spreading themselves thin with 1:1 with so many controllers is not good for the consumer... The gazillion threads on here is proof..
actually that is great for the consumer you can choose your controller/your company instead of just choosing one controller you have the choice of the portable vci the motorized decks of the ns7 the 4 decks of the xoneDX ect
and these gazillion threads only prove that most people log on to forums only to complain :)
Rebelguy
2:16 AM - 16 November, 2010
All that I know is that I will be saving up my money because if ITCH and Traktor do finally incorporate both sampling AND video, I'm there... unless the NS12 comes out.
-KLH
I have heard that Video is a Traktor is a no go...ever. It goes against their philosophy for the product and the company.
With that being said, Winter NAMM is going to be bringing some serious releases.
Quote:
Quote:
All that I know is that I will be saving up my money because if ITCH and Traktor do finally incorporate both sampling AND video, I'm there... unless the NS12 comes out.
-KLH
I have heard that Video is a Traktor is a no go...ever. It goes against their philosophy for the product and the company.
With that being said, Winter NAMM is going to be bringing some serious releases.
Rebelguy
2:16 AM - 16 November, 2010
Quoting sucks on here sometimes...
My response was
I have heard that Video with Traktor is a no go...ever. It goes against their philosophy for the product and the company.
With that being said, Winter NAMM is going to be bringing some serious releases.
My response was
I have heard that Video with Traktor is a no go...ever. It goes against their philosophy for the product and the company.
With that being said, Winter NAMM is going to be bringing some serious releases.
Rebelguy
2:21 AM - 16 November, 2010
They are an audio company. That is their focus. Will that change...possibly. I am somewhat seeing the S4 and their huge price cuts as their last ditch attempt to break Serato's stronghold in the US. Will it work...not sure but they need something. i can't honestly see how they can sell products at these prices. I am sure their DJ division is not as profitable as the rest of the company.
Quote:
really? against their philosophy? hmmThey are an audio company. That is their focus. Will that change...possibly. I am somewhat seeing the S4 and their huge price cuts as their last ditch attempt to break Serato's stronghold in the US. Will it work...not sure but they need something. i can't honestly see how they can sell products at these prices. I am sure their DJ division is not as profitable as the rest of the company.
DJ Urkel Dee
3:48 AM - 16 November, 2010
@Rebelguy I think the price cut is do to the S4 software release soon . But u could be right... a few have said they picked up Traktor due to the cheaper price tag... If that's the case good market strategy.
kraal
3:50 AM - 16 November, 2010
its both get you to bite on the old version then you pay to upgrade to the new no matter what you get new customers
DJ Urkel Dee
3:53 AM - 16 November, 2010
@kraal I was speaking of the fact it not being far to the consumer because it's just not 1 or 2 pieces of hardware Serato has to worry about... its more like 4-5 and each demands separate attention... That cant be good for timelines for updates and new features.
Kanario Dj Producer
8:24 AM - 16 November, 2010
One of the reasons the S4 has such a great price is because NI manufacture its own hardware. And I won't be surprise if NI drop the price some more in the future. Or maybe as soon as Itch comes out with new hardware! A good strategy to discourage new buyers from getting Itch! Serato will have to match the S4's features and price. Good news? Definitely!!!
We are all over 2.0 and I think a lot of people will be pissed if we need to get Ableton live to use of all the new features. Plus new hardware. Good news? Not!!!
Quote:
a few have said they picked up Traktor due to the cheaper price tag... If that's the case good market strategy.One of the reasons the S4 has such a great price is because NI manufacture its own hardware. And I won't be surprise if NI drop the price some more in the future. Or maybe as soon as Itch comes out with new hardware! A good strategy to discourage new buyers from getting Itch! Serato will have to match the S4's features and price. Good news? Definitely!!!
We are all over 2.0 and I think a lot of people will be pissed if we need to get Ableton live to use of all the new features. Plus new hardware. Good news? Not!!!
djcerla
9:06 AM - 16 November, 2010
It's amazing how many marketing experts are around here! If I was Serato I'll hire you all guys. Or not.
This reminds me the days of Olympic Games: every taxi driver, bartender and their dogs suddenly turn out to be massive experts of athletics, anti-doping, muscle stretch.
This reminds me the days of Olympic Games: every taxi driver, bartender and their dogs suddenly turn out to be massive experts of athletics, anti-doping, muscle stretch.
kraal
9:34 AM - 16 November, 2010
i dont get how buying and s4 is fine but buying new itch hardware is not
haze324
9:35 AM - 16 November, 2010
Well in my opinion Serato has dropped the ball marketing wise in some areas and could've done a better job pushing a product and meeting deadlines. Since this thread is about the S4 I think NI did a great job letting Dubfire leak something over twitter, then doing the vid, then the official, intro....etc.
Also, I think it's not so much of marketing --- but having a clear roadmap. 1 year, 2 year, 3 year plans. Etc. Obviosly the S4 was not thought of over night. The X1 was a good feeler for them to jump into the controller market, and going back to the NI forum and reading posts that a year or two old folks can see plenty of hints being dropped of the direction a product is going.
I get that here some days - but I think the original introduction of Itch was very clear. Provide a a stable platfrom that most closely resembles two decks/TT and a two channel mixer. But where was the product supposed to go next. I'm sure the marker influences that some --- but with so many posts here about effects, samplers, more hardware, what are the hardware companies doing, the bridge, etc. It's hard to really know or get a feal of the direction this product is headed.
Hence everyone is anxion to know what the next release holds, sinec "somthing" IS supposed to coming. Whi knows maybe all the fuss is just The Bridge and a new controller and nothing more. It's hard to tell.
Also, I think it's not so much of marketing --- but having a clear roadmap. 1 year, 2 year, 3 year plans. Etc. Obviosly the S4 was not thought of over night. The X1 was a good feeler for them to jump into the controller market, and going back to the NI forum and reading posts that a year or two old folks can see plenty of hints being dropped of the direction a product is going.
I get that here some days - but I think the original introduction of Itch was very clear. Provide a a stable platfrom that most closely resembles two decks/TT and a two channel mixer. But where was the product supposed to go next. I'm sure the marker influences that some --- but with so many posts here about effects, samplers, more hardware, what are the hardware companies doing, the bridge, etc. It's hard to really know or get a feal of the direction this product is headed.
Hence everyone is anxion to know what the next release holds, sinec "somthing" IS supposed to coming. Whi knows maybe all the fuss is just The Bridge and a new controller and nothing more. It's hard to tell.
kraal
9:38 AM - 16 November, 2010
i think people are missing one thing -- untill the s4 was close to ready to be released there was no big huge buzz or marketing .. just this past week seratoHQ has mentioned something about itch 2.0 on twitter
haze324
9:41 AM - 16 November, 2010
uhhmmm.....there was some chatter on the NI board, but all rumors. Some thought it was Maschine Integration, but the comon idea was that money is made on hardware so it had to be along those lines.
The first tweet by Dubfire was back in June.
I think since it's the first NI dedicated controller you don't see the backlash of folks upset for having to buy a new controller. I think the next generation of NI products will be closer to what we have here. With the VCI, DX, etc. and a possible "new" controller for new features.
Hey what did the Tweet say?
The first tweet by Dubfire was back in June.
I think since it's the first NI dedicated controller you don't see the backlash of folks upset for having to buy a new controller. I think the next generation of NI products will be closer to what we have here. With the VCI, DX, etc. and a possible "new" controller for new features.
Hey what did the Tweet say?
djcerla
9:43 AM - 16 November, 2010
the other side of the coin is that a lot of X1 users are now feeling kinda ripped off.
Quote:
The X1 was a good feeler for them to jump into the controller marketthe other side of the coin is that a lot of X1 users are now feeling kinda ripped off.
haze324
9:46 AM - 16 November, 2010
Not really.
Turntable users still need a dedicated Traktor Controller, and plenty of DJ's still beleive that you get the best sound fron an analogue mixer vs. internal.
If there are folks that are upset it's a minority.
I still read plenty of folks getting X1's to use in small boths with the house mixer where the S4 would never fit.
Turntable users still need a dedicated Traktor Controller, and plenty of DJ's still beleive that you get the best sound fron an analogue mixer vs. internal.
If there are folks that are upset it's a minority.
I still read plenty of folks getting X1's to use in small boths with the house mixer where the S4 would never fit.
djcerla
9:50 AM - 16 November, 2010
Not really! Really! including some of my friends from Italy and Germany.
nik39
9:56 AM - 16 November, 2010
The X1 was a good feeler for them to jump into the controller market
the other side of the coin is that a lot of X1 users are now feeling kinda ripped off.
Why should they? The X1 is a different device with a different target market.
Just have a look on this forum, there are dozens of (happy) X1 users with SL. Why should they feel ripped off because NI has released the S4? The S4 is a very different product.
Quote:
Quote:
The X1 was a good feeler for them to jump into the controller market
the other side of the coin is that a lot of X1 users are now feeling kinda ripped off.
Why should they? The X1 is a different device with a different target market.
Just have a look on this forum, there are dozens of (happy) X1 users with SL. Why should they feel ripped off because NI has released the S4? The S4 is a very different product.
haze324
9:57 AM - 16 November, 2010
Hey I've got one for you. They should not be upset because:
"The X1 still does everything it was advertised to do at the time of purchase"
Why are they upset. It still does everything they bought for 200 bucks.
Serious shit, my boy with VCI-300 was having a hard time finding room to play in small cramped lounged in NYC. He just got a X1 and is happier than hell with it.
The X1 still rocks bro.
"The X1 still does everything it was advertised to do at the time of purchase"
Why are they upset. It still does everything they bought for 200 bucks.
Serious shit, my boy with VCI-300 was having a hard time finding room to play in small cramped lounged in NYC. He just got a X1 and is happier than hell with it.
The X1 still rocks bro.
djcerla
10:07 AM - 16 November, 2010
Just reporting what my friends told me, not trying to give a sense out of the thing.
nik39
10:11 AM - 16 November, 2010
Anyway, the point is that I don't see "a lot of X1 users who feel ripped off" by the intruduction of the S4 either. Not here, and not many on the NI forums either.
djcerla
10:18 AM - 16 November, 2010
Well, 3 out of 3 X1 owner I spoke with told me the same thing, they must be the only 3 in the world.
nik39
10:31 AM - 16 November, 2010
Those 3 out of 1000s of usesr must be a representative, average set.
zaguama
3:13 PM - 16 November, 2010
yeah saw that, you think they might throw us a PB before christmas?
Quote:
i think people are missing one thing -- untill the s4 was close to ready to be released there was no big huge buzz or marketing .. just this past week seratoHQ has mentioned something about itch 2.0 on twitteryeah saw that, you think they might throw us a PB before christmas?
KLH
12:59 AM - 17 November, 2010
So now the S4 forums are freaking about not having dedicated booth-outputs, LOL.
There's always something to b!tch about. Forget all of those nice-to-have features, "No booth-output? Forget this piece of sh*t." Uneffingbelievable.
-KLH
There's always something to b!tch about. Forget all of those nice-to-have features, "No booth-output? Forget this piece of sh*t." Uneffingbelievable.
-KLH
Rebelguy
1:06 AM - 17 November, 2010
There's always something to b!tch about. Forget all of those nice-to-have features, "No booth-output? Forget this piece of sh*t." Uneffingbelievable.
-KLH
And it was all because of that one dude bringing it up all over again...and he didn't even buy the unit.
Quote:
So now the S4 forums are freaking about not having dedicated booth-outputs, LOL.There's always something to b!tch about. Forget all of those nice-to-have features, "No booth-output? Forget this piece of sh*t." Uneffingbelievable.
-KLH
And it was all because of that one dude bringing it up all over again...and he didn't even buy the unit.
dj ask
3:52 AM - 17 November, 2010
I dont think x1 buyers should feel ripped out at all! At least they can still use the x1 in combination with an S4! no?
Kanario Dj Producer
5:58 AM - 17 November, 2010
The X1 was a good feeler for them to jump into the controller market
the other side of the coin is that a lot of X1 users are now feeling kinda ripped off.
The X1 was designed to add more functionality for people who already have the Traktor Interfaces and use turntables or Cd players. I see The X1 as the equivalent of the Dicer but for Traktor!
You can still use The X1 by itself but you will need an audio interface!
This reminds me the days of Olympic Games: every taxi driver, bartender and their dogs suddenly turn out to be massive experts of athletics, anti-doping, muscle stretch.
From a Business standpoint, I think you are right about hiring everyone! Some companies will basically kill for info about the consumer. Google is a big example! And Apple is the best at executing and using all of this information! We are giving feedback for free!
I remember that on the forum I mention something about Traktor being everywhere. I made a comment about Rain computers having a DJ ready Laptop! And the product description said something about the computer being Traktor ready! No word about Serato. Then a couple of weeks later, I checked back on the website. And, surprise!!! the paragraph was changed to this:
Quote: A powerful audio notebook designed by Rain for the ultimate performance and compatibility with your creative software like Pro Tools and Serato. Unquote! lol! Someone's listening!!!! Or is it pure coincidence????
Quote:
Quote:
The X1 was a good feeler for them to jump into the controller market
the other side of the coin is that a lot of X1 users are now feeling kinda ripped off.
The X1 was designed to add more functionality for people who already have the Traktor Interfaces and use turntables or Cd players. I see The X1 as the equivalent of the Dicer but for Traktor!
You can still use The X1 by itself but you will need an audio interface!
Quote:
It's amazing how many marketing experts are around here! If I was Serato I'll hire you all guys. Or not.This reminds me the days of Olympic Games: every taxi driver, bartender and their dogs suddenly turn out to be massive experts of athletics, anti-doping, muscle stretch.
From a Business standpoint, I think you are right about hiring everyone! Some companies will basically kill for info about the consumer. Google is a big example! And Apple is the best at executing and using all of this information! We are giving feedback for free!
I remember that on the forum I mention something about Traktor being everywhere. I made a comment about Rain computers having a DJ ready Laptop! And the product description said something about the computer being Traktor ready! No word about Serato. Then a couple of weeks later, I checked back on the website. And, surprise!!! the paragraph was changed to this:
Quote: A powerful audio notebook designed by Rain for the ultimate performance and compatibility with your creative software like Pro Tools and Serato. Unquote! lol! Someone's listening!!!! Or is it pure coincidence????
KLH
3:27 AM - 18 November, 2010
New direction:
If ITCH already incorporated samples, would the Kontrol S4 be a compelling product? I don't think so...
-KLH
If ITCH already incorporated samples, would the Kontrol S4 be a compelling product? I don't think so...
-KLH
kraal
3:33 AM - 18 November, 2010
If ITCH already incorporated samples, would the Kontrol S4 be a compelling product? I don't think so...
-KLH
interesting...
Quote:
New direction:If ITCH already incorporated samples, would the Kontrol S4 be a compelling product? I don't think so...
-KLH
interesting...
haze324
4:00 AM - 18 November, 2010
If ITCH already incorporated samples, would the Kontrol S4 be a compelling product? I don't think so...
-KLH
You need to narrow that down for it to be an accurate statement. What kind of sampler are we talking about SP-6? Also what hardware would there be available for Itch, what is currently available? No 4 channel controller with jogs you can scratch on. NI has it's share of the marker. I think if both products had equal samplers with equal controllers then things would be how they are now, with current customer base.
Quote:
New direction:If ITCH already incorporated samples, would the Kontrol S4 be a compelling product? I don't think so...
-KLH
You need to narrow that down for it to be an accurate statement. What kind of sampler are we talking about SP-6? Also what hardware would there be available for Itch, what is currently available? No 4 channel controller with jogs you can scratch on. NI has it's share of the marker. I think if both products had equal samplers with equal controllers then things would be how they are now, with current customer base.
KLH
6:04 AM - 18 November, 2010
True but still worth discussion, don't-cha-think? If, say, the Xone:DX were released as a MKII product with scratchable platters and the cue buttons could play samples... I think that we might have a contender.
-KLH
-KLH
haze324
6:15 AM - 18 November, 2010
I think if they both offer the same features then Traktor DJ's will remain Traktor DJ's and Serato DJ's (whether Itch or SSL) will remain Serato DJ's.
I think variables are:
1. What does one offer that the other doesn't. Traktor has better FX, now has a loop recorder, etc. Who knows - Itch may offer Video soon?
2. What hardware do you physically enjoy more if the above are not a big deal
So I still think we would have this discussion. What happens when the S4 supports Time Code? It's a race.
I think variables are:
1. What does one offer that the other doesn't. Traktor has better FX, now has a loop recorder, etc. Who knows - Itch may offer Video soon?
2. What hardware do you physically enjoy more if the above are not a big deal
So I still think we would have this discussion. What happens when the S4 supports Time Code? It's a race.
DJ Quartz
7:14 AM - 18 November, 2010
Just to chime in, previously there was talk about 14-bit midi. The S4 does have a midi mode but not by default with Traktor.
The S4 uses it's own protocol to communicate with Traktor called NHL. This creates the one-to-one direct communication with Traktor providing high-resolution control with the jog wheels and other functions.
Midi mode is for using the S4 with other software or for custom mapping, etc.
The S4 uses it's own protocol to communicate with Traktor called NHL. This creates the one-to-one direct communication with Traktor providing high-resolution control with the jog wheels and other functions.
Midi mode is for using the S4 with other software or for custom mapping, etc.
haze324
7:29 AM - 18 November, 2010
Quartz whats up brother....
haven't seen you chime in, in a while. You still on the NS7 and Traktor.
What are your thoughts on the S4.
haven't seen you chime in, in a while. You still on the NS7 and Traktor.
What are your thoughts on the S4.
bigdik magee
1:34 PM - 18 November, 2010
haven't seen you chime in, in a while. You still on the NS7 and Traktor.
What are your thoughts on the S4.
Hear, hear brotha... What's been happening?
Quote:
Quartz whats up brother....haven't seen you chime in, in a while. You still on the NS7 and Traktor.
What are your thoughts on the S4.
Hear, hear brotha... What's been happening?
Rob Pointer
8:22 PM - 19 November, 2010
well, this can't be good:
www.djtechtools.com
some serious bugs starting to show their face. Better to wait - glad I am. I think the Bridge with Itch should be enough to keep us all working towards perfecting that solution IMO.
rob.
www.djtechtools.com
some serious bugs starting to show their face. Better to wait - glad I am. I think the Bridge with Itch should be enough to keep us all working towards perfecting that solution IMO.
rob.
Rebelguy
10:09 PM - 19 November, 2010
www.djtechtools.com
some serious bugs starting to show their face. Better to wait - glad I am. I think the Bridge with Itch should be enough to keep us all working towards perfecting that solution IMO.
rob.
That whole post is about one guys problems. I am not sure that it is a batch of serious bugs. Dude sounds like he has a faulty unit.
Quote:
well, this can't be good:www.djtechtools.com
some serious bugs starting to show their face. Better to wait - glad I am. I think the Bridge with Itch should be enough to keep us all working towards perfecting that solution IMO.
rob.
That whole post is about one guys problems. I am not sure that it is a batch of serious bugs. Dude sounds like he has a faulty unit.
Rob Pointer
10:12 PM - 19 November, 2010
I like how Haze got all up in that thread. lol
There seem to be buggy software issues rather than hardware (except for the jog wheel issue, possibly).
There seem to be buggy software issues rather than hardware (except for the jog wheel issue, possibly).
kraal
10:16 PM - 19 November, 2010
yes how long before he get labled as 'S4 fanboy'
Quote:
I like how Haze got all up in that thread. lolyes how long before he get labled as 'S4 fanboy'
Rebelguy
10:29 PM - 19 November, 2010
There seem to be buggy software issues rather than hardware (except for the jog wheel issue, possibly).
But it didn't seem like anyone else was really experiencing it except the one dude. If there are more it does not seem widespread.
Quote:
I like how Haze got all up in that thread. lolThere seem to be buggy software issues rather than hardware (except for the jog wheel issue, possibly).
But it didn't seem like anyone else was really experiencing it except the one dude. If there are more it does not seem widespread.
Rob Pointer
10:48 PM - 19 November, 2010
true. But that is the thing about bugs. they may be specific to a certain workflow or set up.
Just like when 1.7 was being released for Itch. Lots of random issues. that are now mostly squashed (from what I can tell).
Pays to sit back and watch it all unfold before committing a $1k here I think. And with NAMM coming up, things are about to a whole lot more interesting.
Did you see that NI is going to release yet another unannounced product that will show its face either at NAMM or in the beginning of February.
Dayum. Things are getting crazy.
Just like when 1.7 was being released for Itch. Lots of random issues. that are now mostly squashed (from what I can tell).
Pays to sit back and watch it all unfold before committing a $1k here I think. And with NAMM coming up, things are about to a whole lot more interesting.
Did you see that NI is going to release yet another unannounced product that will show its face either at NAMM or in the beginning of February.
Dayum. Things are getting crazy.
bigdik magee
1:57 AM - 20 November, 2010
www.djtechtools.com
some serious bugs starting to show their face. Better to wait - glad I am. I think the Bridge with Itch should be enough to keep us all working towards perfecting that solution IMO.
rob.
Hear, hear!
Quote:
well, this can't be good:www.djtechtools.com
some serious bugs starting to show their face. Better to wait - glad I am. I think the Bridge with Itch should be enough to keep us all working towards perfecting that solution IMO.
rob.
Hear, hear!
haze324
3:46 AM - 20 November, 2010
I like how Haze got all up in that thread. lol
yes how long before he get labled as 'S4 fanboy'
Man fuck that guy press play. He's a whining bitch.... that guy has so many fuckin cry baby posts. He sounds like a chick on her period.
I'm really diggin the S4, i gave a pretty unbiased review of it --- however make no mistake, if Itch had half the features and a similar controller I would sell the S4 and jump on whatever was introduced. Deep down I'm hoping that's the case by next spring.
Till then ---not really an S4 fanboy, just a dude having fun with a new, fun and good piece of gear.
Quote:
Quote:
I like how Haze got all up in that thread. lol
yes how long before he get labled as 'S4 fanboy'
Man fuck that guy press play. He's a whining bitch.... that guy has so many fuckin cry baby posts. He sounds like a chick on her period.
I'm really diggin the S4, i gave a pretty unbiased review of it --- however make no mistake, if Itch had half the features and a similar controller I would sell the S4 and jump on whatever was introduced. Deep down I'm hoping that's the case by next spring.
Till then ---not really an S4 fanboy, just a dude having fun with a new, fun and good piece of gear.
luckee_d
3:50 AM - 20 November, 2010
Hi everybody, I am probably sending my DX in to trade for an S4. I would like to know who is using both?
Is the S4 solid?
Is it as good as the DX as far as the build quality and the sound quality? Is it as loud?
Are the headphones as loud?
What are the main differences between the two?
Basically, should I het a new DX or trade it for the S4?
Is it working well on Windows 7?
Thanks very much
Is the S4 solid?
Is it as good as the DX as far as the build quality and the sound quality? Is it as loud?
Are the headphones as loud?
What are the main differences between the two?
Basically, should I het a new DX or trade it for the S4?
Is it working well on Windows 7?
Thanks very much
KLH
11:07 PM - 20 November, 2010
I can't answer the above relative to the Xone:DX (as I've never used one or even seen one in person). I can say that I've now played with a KS4 at a local retailer. Here are my first impressions - and remember that my reference point is an NS7FX:
* The KS4 is what the Xponent tried to be and what an Xponent 2 should be.
* The KS4 layout is cramped, but functional - I suppose that you just get used to it
* The KS4 is light (about weight of a "regular" laptop) - but seems well built
* Knobs and buttons seem to be fine to use
* Faders seem short, but again, usable
* Platters seem to be fine if you are looking for a CDJ-like experience (like the VCI-300)
* TPS4's UI is seriously busy. I'd probably hide most of the stuff on there (if I can)
* TPS4 seems awfully powerful and flexible - but NOT friendly
My main complaint is that the waveform "box" isn't the focus of the UI. The decks almost seem tacked-on instead of being the "core" of the UI. To add insult to injury, the waveforms are completely isolated from one another. Weird design choice. The isolated waveforms are the main reason why I've never considered using Traktor before.
So why consider the KS4 now? Samples, baby, samples. And the KS4/TPS4 works well with them. It's not the power that Torq has, but you can use samples.
Bottom-line: I think that the KS4/TPS4 is a powerful combo for controllerists or those interested in learning this style of DJing - but there is a learning curve. For those who are looking for emulating a traditional CDJ (or TT) setup, ITCH seems be a more DJ-friendly platform.
My local retailer had the NS7FX on a computer table with the KS4 on the keyboard shelf of the desk. Both were connected to an iMac. After using the KS4, I played with the NS7FX and couldn't help thinking how much more friendly the ITCH platforms are. The competition between ITCH and the TPS4 reminds me of the iOS and Android competition, respectively.
-KLH
* The KS4 is what the Xponent tried to be and what an Xponent 2 should be.
* The KS4 layout is cramped, but functional - I suppose that you just get used to it
* The KS4 is light (about weight of a "regular" laptop) - but seems well built
* Knobs and buttons seem to be fine to use
* Faders seem short, but again, usable
* Platters seem to be fine if you are looking for a CDJ-like experience (like the VCI-300)
* TPS4's UI is seriously busy. I'd probably hide most of the stuff on there (if I can)
* TPS4 seems awfully powerful and flexible - but NOT friendly
My main complaint is that the waveform "box" isn't the focus of the UI. The decks almost seem tacked-on instead of being the "core" of the UI. To add insult to injury, the waveforms are completely isolated from one another. Weird design choice. The isolated waveforms are the main reason why I've never considered using Traktor before.
So why consider the KS4 now? Samples, baby, samples. And the KS4/TPS4 works well with them. It's not the power that Torq has, but you can use samples.
Bottom-line: I think that the KS4/TPS4 is a powerful combo for controllerists or those interested in learning this style of DJing - but there is a learning curve. For those who are looking for emulating a traditional CDJ (or TT) setup, ITCH seems be a more DJ-friendly platform.
My local retailer had the NS7FX on a computer table with the KS4 on the keyboard shelf of the desk. Both were connected to an iMac. After using the KS4, I played with the NS7FX and couldn't help thinking how much more friendly the ITCH platforms are. The competition between ITCH and the TPS4 reminds me of the iOS and Android competition, respectively.
-KLH
bigdik magee
11:12 PM - 20 November, 2010
I kinda feel like the NS7 is almost more instrument like, where the S4 is more midi/keyboard/controller like. The experience on each appears to be very different and most likely will all be about comfort. Features for Serato will come, and most likely be put together VERY well.
Cheers, -BDM
Cheers, -BDM
haze324
12:10 PM - 21 November, 2010
My main complaint is that the waveform "box" isn't the focus of the UI. The decks almost seem tacked-on instead of being the "core" of the UI. To add insult to injury, the waveforms are completely isolated from one another. Weird design choice. The isolated waveforms are the main reason why I've never considered using Traktor before.
I couldn't help think how much more friendly the ITCH platforms are.
-KLH
This has been brought up a bunch of times about the waveforms. I think it was best described as: They are in seperate positions vs. next to each other(stacked) as in thats the way a traditional set up is -- mixer in the center and a deck on each side (not on top of each other). When you go to beatmach, pitch, etc. a song your hands, eyes, etc. are focused on one deck. And both CDJ's or turntables are not next to each other, they are on opposite sides. It makes a little bit of sense if you really think about it.
After using both I'll tell you that the second line above is the truth. Itch is an EASIER platform and less of learning curve. There "IS" some reliance on the software when it has stacked colored waveforms. It really does make things easier - and it's a great tool. I do miss them using the S4 software. The hardware is a dream though.
After using it now for two weeks and gigged with it twice, I still have my eye on 2.0 and what hardware could be on the horizon.
Quote:
My main complaint is that the waveform "box" isn't the focus of the UI. The decks almost seem tacked-on instead of being the "core" of the UI. To add insult to injury, the waveforms are completely isolated from one another. Weird design choice. The isolated waveforms are the main reason why I've never considered using Traktor before.
I couldn't help think how much more friendly the ITCH platforms are.
-KLH
This has been brought up a bunch of times about the waveforms. I think it was best described as: They are in seperate positions vs. next to each other(stacked) as in thats the way a traditional set up is -- mixer in the center and a deck on each side (not on top of each other). When you go to beatmach, pitch, etc. a song your hands, eyes, etc. are focused on one deck. And both CDJ's or turntables are not next to each other, they are on opposite sides. It makes a little bit of sense if you really think about it.
After using both I'll tell you that the second line above is the truth. Itch is an EASIER platform and less of learning curve. There "IS" some reliance on the software when it has stacked colored waveforms. It really does make things easier - and it's a great tool. I do miss them using the S4 software. The hardware is a dream though.
After using it now for two weeks and gigged with it twice, I still have my eye on 2.0 and what hardware could be on the horizon.
raequan
7:58 PM - 21 November, 2010
i bought the S4 yesturday i can say that it really is a sweet piece to dj with. there is a small learning curve to get the samples and loops right. There is also a few functions that you have to use your mouse for. The vci-300 you can use all the functions with out using the mouse.
I did enjoy using three decks in the s4 and i didnt use sync. The library or crate function in the S4 not to my liking. It is better in Itch. The platters on both systems are fine no latency what so ever (using MBP 13").
Yes the effects are better in traktor. Loved the superknob.
The output hmmm some of the songs i have makes the S4 run hot signal. I dont know if there is a way to normalize them?
The headphone output sounds real good maybe a lil better than Itch.
The S4 GUI is really bland looking gray. Itch seems to look better to me in that department.
Pitch bending on both units are the same. S4 beat grid is not good on hip hop and reggae. but easy to adjust. I run Itch 1.5 so no beat grid.
i cant compare to the 4 deck mixing cause i dont own a Zone DX
I still like Itch for what it does straight to the point djing with no BS.
I did enjoy using three decks in the s4 and i didnt use sync. The library or crate function in the S4 not to my liking. It is better in Itch. The platters on both systems are fine no latency what so ever (using MBP 13").
Yes the effects are better in traktor. Loved the superknob.
The output hmmm some of the songs i have makes the S4 run hot signal. I dont know if there is a way to normalize them?
The headphone output sounds real good maybe a lil better than Itch.
The S4 GUI is really bland looking gray. Itch seems to look better to me in that department.
Pitch bending on both units are the same. S4 beat grid is not good on hip hop and reggae. but easy to adjust. I run Itch 1.5 so no beat grid.
i cant compare to the 4 deck mixing cause i dont own a Zone DX
I still like Itch for what it does straight to the point djing with no BS.
bigdik magee
9:05 PM - 21 November, 2010
Maybe Native will fix the S4 in the second controller they may release this year...
Or maybe, if your own S4, you'll be lucky and they'll just provide a software update ;p
Don't know if they can fix the ugliness or the layout w/ a software update though...
I'm surprised they don't make a gold "Shiftee" edition. ;)
Or maybe, if your own S4, you'll be lucky and they'll just provide a software update ;p
Don't know if they can fix the ugliness or the layout w/ a software update though...
I'm surprised they don't make a gold "Shiftee" edition. ;)
seratosnatch
9:30 PM - 21 November, 2010
I tried the S4 the other day and was cool..I liked the pitch faders and the feel. I still prefer the feel and build of the DX over it. I think whoever buys a S4 over a DX should think about Itch 2...if that is no good, then jump ship.
bigdik magee
9:45 PM - 21 November, 2010
Buy 'em both. In the land of DJ's ITCH and Traktor products are pretty inexpensive.
I do agree that Itch 2 needs to show-up, and go hard.
Quote:
I tried the S4 the other day and was cool..I liked the pitch faders and the feel. I still prefer the feel and build of the DX over it. I think whoever buys a S4 over a DX should think about Itch 2...if that is no good, then jump ship.Buy 'em both. In the land of DJ's ITCH and Traktor products are pretty inexpensive.
I do agree that Itch 2 needs to show-up, and go hard.
luckee_d
11:56 PM - 21 November, 2010
I agree with all of you! I went to my local GC today and mixed on the S4 for almost an hour. Nice layout I must say, very well thought out, but I am really disappointed in the lack of inputs and outputs. No Cue or booth output? WTF
No Mic EQ? WTF
To me it is now a very powerful toy.
It appeared that each channel had to be assigned to the crossfader, and I didnt find a way to over-ride that, might be wrong but that stinks.
It is very limited on the back side, and for me the back side is as important and the face, haha.
No Mic EQ? WTF
To me it is now a very powerful toy.
It appeared that each channel had to be assigned to the crossfader, and I didnt find a way to over-ride that, might be wrong but that stinks.
It is very limited on the back side, and for me the back side is as important and the face, haha.
haze324
3:17 AM - 22 November, 2010
Raequan, thats a pretty straight review of the S4. I agree. Not sure what stuff you need the mouse for. Just about everything I can think of is mapped to the controller in some form or fashion. Just complicated sometimes.
Hip Hop Grids - I find the BMP to be correct but the grids in the wrong spot. I mapped to my keyboard similar to Itch. Delete Grids and Drop Grid Marker. Now if I pull up a song I can just drop the grid on the correct beat and I'm good. Takes a few seconds.
For crates - Itch is 100% better. The whole idea of the collection" doesnt make a lot of sense to me either. I prefer how Itch interacts with Itunes. Check out a program called Trainspotter. It's a way to fully manage your collection. A beta is out and should be full release in a few weeks.
For outputs there are few configurations within the software that could help.
Luckee - Mic can be ran thru a deck, booth out while I think was a miss by NI can be fixed by adding an inline volume to the 2nd master out. Not sure what you mean by no Cue output? There is a Cue output with volume and mix knob on the front side of the controller near the crossfader.
Oh and the channel faders for those who think they are too short are the same length as a DJM-800.
Having said all that, I think most of the reviews here are on point from my take on the S4. It's a solid piece of gear, could have some minor improvements, Traktor has cool features, Itch is much more straight forward with less BS and if 2.0 is a hit the S4 is in trouble.
Hip Hop Grids - I find the BMP to be correct but the grids in the wrong spot. I mapped to my keyboard similar to Itch. Delete Grids and Drop Grid Marker. Now if I pull up a song I can just drop the grid on the correct beat and I'm good. Takes a few seconds.
For crates - Itch is 100% better. The whole idea of the collection" doesnt make a lot of sense to me either. I prefer how Itch interacts with Itunes. Check out a program called Trainspotter. It's a way to fully manage your collection. A beta is out and should be full release in a few weeks.
For outputs there are few configurations within the software that could help.
Luckee - Mic can be ran thru a deck, booth out while I think was a miss by NI can be fixed by adding an inline volume to the 2nd master out. Not sure what you mean by no Cue output? There is a Cue output with volume and mix knob on the front side of the controller near the crossfader.
Oh and the channel faders for those who think they are too short are the same length as a DJM-800.
Having said all that, I think most of the reviews here are on point from my take on the S4. It's a solid piece of gear, could have some minor improvements, Traktor has cool features, Itch is much more straight forward with less BS and if 2.0 is a hit the S4 is in trouble.
bigdik magee
3:21 AM - 22 November, 2010
Hip Hop Grids - I find the BMP to be correct but the grids in the wrong spot. I mapped to my keyboard similar to Itch. Delete Grids and Drop Grid Marker. Now if I pull up a song I can just drop the grid on the correct beat and I'm good. Takes a few seconds.
For crates - Itch is 100% better. The whole idea of the collection" doesnt make a lot of sense to me either. I prefer how Itch interacts with Itunes. Check out a program called Trainspotter. It's a way to fully manage your collection. A beta is out and should be full release in a few weeks.
For outputs there are few configurations within the software that could help.
Luckee - Mic can be ran thru a deck, booth out while I think was a miss by NI can be fixed by adding an inline volume to the 2nd master out. Not sure what you mean by no Cue output? There is a Cue output with volume and mix knob on the front side of the controller near the crossfader.
Oh and the channel faders for those who think they are too short are the same length as a DJM-800.
Having said all that, I think most of the reviews here are on point from my take on the S4. It's a solid piece of gear, could have some minor improvements, Traktor has cool features, Itch is much more straight forward with less BS and if 2.0 is a hit the S4 is in trouble.
+1
Quote:
Raequan, thats a pretty straight review of the S4. I agree. Not sure what stuff you need the mouse for. Just about everything I can think of is mapped to the controller in some form or fashion. Just complicated sometimes.Hip Hop Grids - I find the BMP to be correct but the grids in the wrong spot. I mapped to my keyboard similar to Itch. Delete Grids and Drop Grid Marker. Now if I pull up a song I can just drop the grid on the correct beat and I'm good. Takes a few seconds.
For crates - Itch is 100% better. The whole idea of the collection" doesnt make a lot of sense to me either. I prefer how Itch interacts with Itunes. Check out a program called Trainspotter. It's a way to fully manage your collection. A beta is out and should be full release in a few weeks.
For outputs there are few configurations within the software that could help.
Luckee - Mic can be ran thru a deck, booth out while I think was a miss by NI can be fixed by adding an inline volume to the 2nd master out. Not sure what you mean by no Cue output? There is a Cue output with volume and mix knob on the front side of the controller near the crossfader.
Oh and the channel faders for those who think they are too short are the same length as a DJM-800.
Having said all that, I think most of the reviews here are on point from my take on the S4. It's a solid piece of gear, could have some minor improvements, Traktor has cool features, Itch is much more straight forward with less BS and if 2.0 is a hit the S4 is in trouble.
+1
luckee_d
3:37 AM - 22 November, 2010
The Xone DX has a CUE output RCA, it is a nice feature. I think I will buy an S4 so I can better judge this piece.
haze324
3:43 AM - 22 November, 2010
Luckee
If I were you I would wait till after January and see what 2.0 has in store. I was a Traktor user before using Itch so getting the S4 was not a big transition for me. Ive been following the release for a few months and knew what to expect. After getting it, I'm really diggin it --- but stil keeping an eye out for Winter NAMM.
If I were you I would wait till after January and see what 2.0 has in store. I was a Traktor user before using Itch so getting the S4 was not a big transition for me. Ive been following the release for a few months and knew what to expect. After getting it, I'm really diggin it --- but stil keeping an eye out for Winter NAMM.
wadup
5:13 AM - 22 November, 2010
Haze I like your non bias approach.. I think it's people like you that gives either traktor or serato good input on Thier product
haze324
5:38 AM - 22 November, 2010
Thanks man. I do the same on DJTT and the NI forum about Itch. Both are great products and I think competition is good for us the consumer.
luckee_d
5:43 AM - 22 November, 2010
If I were you I would wait till after January and see what 2.0 has in store. I was a Traktor user before using Itch so getting the S4 was not a big transition for me. Ive been following the release for a few months and knew what to expect. After getting it, I'm really diggin it --- but stil keeping an eye out for Winter NAMM.
Thanks haze324!
I also was a Traktor Pro user before jumping aboard with ITCH. So it wouldnt be a shock really. Although I really enjoy ITCH and my DX minus the hardware issues I have had. Maybe waiting is the right thing, or just buy a S4 and also have the DX? Decisions, decisions..=}
No booth/cue outputs kind of bothers me! Oh well
When you use the DX what is your setup? Do you use any other hardware?
Quote:
LuckeeIf I were you I would wait till after January and see what 2.0 has in store. I was a Traktor user before using Itch so getting the S4 was not a big transition for me. Ive been following the release for a few months and knew what to expect. After getting it, I'm really diggin it --- but stil keeping an eye out for Winter NAMM.
Thanks haze324!
I also was a Traktor Pro user before jumping aboard with ITCH. So it wouldnt be a shock really. Although I really enjoy ITCH and my DX minus the hardware issues I have had. Maybe waiting is the right thing, or just buy a S4 and also have the DX? Decisions, decisions..=}
No booth/cue outputs kind of bothers me! Oh well
When you use the DX what is your setup? Do you use any other hardware?
haze324
6:10 AM - 22 November, 2010
I have an NS7 and a VCI-300
I almost got the DX, but I need touch senstive/scratchable Jogs. I think the DX was perfectly layed out minus the jogs. So I waited for a good 4 channel controller to come out and now got an S4. I'm hoping for Pioneer/Itch 4 channel controller to rival the S4 gets released after Winter NAMM.
For the DX the only other hardware I've seen folks use with it is a midi fighter or something they can map cue buttons from the key strokes to have more and better ways of juggling cues. I had also looked into Kaoss Pad for better effects and samples with the VCI-300 but it wasn't my thing.
I almost got the DX, but I need touch senstive/scratchable Jogs. I think the DX was perfectly layed out minus the jogs. So I waited for a good 4 channel controller to come out and now got an S4. I'm hoping for Pioneer/Itch 4 channel controller to rival the S4 gets released after Winter NAMM.
For the DX the only other hardware I've seen folks use with it is a midi fighter or something they can map cue buttons from the key strokes to have more and better ways of juggling cues. I had also looked into Kaoss Pad for better effects and samples with the VCI-300 but it wasn't my thing.
luckee_d
2:52 PM - 22 November, 2010
Thanks haze,
I appreciate your view on the subject. I played with an NS7 and loved it, the only thing was the lack of ability to control more than 2 decks... Other than that it was beautiful. As for the DX, I would say u are dead on here as well. Thanks again!
I appreciate your view on the subject. I played with an NS7 and loved it, the only thing was the lack of ability to control more than 2 decks... Other than that it was beautiful. As for the DX, I would say u are dead on here as well. Thanks again!
raequan
5:26 PM - 22 November, 2010
Haze, im using the mouse to move the beat grid markers. and in browser mode i use the mouse to organize BPM lowest to highest.
on another note wait till i map the S4 to VDJ 7.
The S4 will be my stay at home unit.
Itch goes out when im djing a party. it has never failed me and folks seem to be amazed when i dj with it.
www.flickr.com
pic from last year at a club the owner couldnt believe i was workin it
on another note wait till i map the S4 to VDJ 7.
The S4 will be my stay at home unit.
Itch goes out when im djing a party. it has never failed me and folks seem to be amazed when i dj with it.
www.flickr.com
pic from last year at a club the owner couldnt believe i was workin it
haze324
5:49 PM - 22 November, 2010
sweet man!! My VCI-300 has been good to me as well.
For the grids I find that mapping erase grid markers and drop grid marker to a two keys makes it faster to adjust the grid if the BPM is correct. It has been 95% of the time. For the other few I just don't worry about it.
Yeah I use the mouse as well to sort by BPM.
Enjoy man. Both units.....
....im looking fwd to Itch 2.0 and comparing it against the S4.
For the grids I find that mapping erase grid markers and drop grid marker to a two keys makes it faster to adjust the grid if the BPM is correct. It has been 95% of the time. For the other few I just don't worry about it.
Yeah I use the mouse as well to sort by BPM.
Enjoy man. Both units.....
....im looking fwd to Itch 2.0 and comparing it against the S4.
Karlos Santos
3:44 PM - 23 November, 2010
I can't help but keep clicking and laughing - but it's not funny. It's SOOO sad what AVID did to Torq. Shame on them.
Anyways, back to the S4.
In case anyone is interested, here's the manual and poster:
[links removed]
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
-KLH
Hmm, posting links to Copyrighted Documents that state on the first page that they must not be reproduced
Is that a rule break on the Serato forum....???
Odd...???
Quote:
I can't help but keep clicking and laughing - but it's not funny. It's SOOO sad what AVID did to Torq. Shame on them.
Anyways, back to the S4.
In case anyone is interested, here's the manual and poster:
[links removed]
Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
-KLH
Hmm, posting links to Copyrighted Documents that state on the first page that they must not be reproduced
Is that a rule break on the Serato forum....???
Odd...???
KLH
1:32 AM - 24 November, 2010
I was not aware that NI was against posting their manuals on OTHER forums. I will request that my posts be removed.
-KLH
-KLH
KLH
1:36 AM - 24 November, 2010
I can't report MY OWN posts, so I will request that the links in my post here be removed:
serato.com
-KLH
serato.com
-KLH
KLH
2:00 AM - 24 November, 2010
Well, it seems that I tripped over a BIG philosophical difference between companies there...
-KLH
-KLH
bigdik magee
2:20 AM - 24 November, 2010
serato.com
-KLH
Always causing trouble... ;p
Quote:
I can't report MY OWN posts, so I will request that the links in my post here be removed:serato.com
-KLH
Always causing trouble... ;p
Dj Fitty
2:45 PM - 2 January, 2011
I got my money! but gonna wait till after NAMM. But really I think i will stick with Serato. The S4 is cool but I just cant bring myself to give N.I. money again, two main reasons. 1. I know as soon you get used to a feature and work flow N.I. will take it away making you have to relearn muscle memory. 2. Phill, one of the Moderators on N.I, dont want to be a part of a dj community or spend money with a company that has moderators I cant stand.
seratosnatch
8:10 PM - 2 January, 2011
S4 is nice, but prefer Itch workflow and ease. S4 cannot do proper turntable stops or backspins...only with some fake sounding effect.
Rob Pointer
9:03 PM - 2 January, 2011
all i know is that I used itch with my numbark v7 units last night for a gig and I went on after someone using Traktor SP and I didn't regret one minute moving to Serato.
I love my units and the workflow rocks.
no regrets.
I love my units and the workflow rocks.
no regrets.
seratosnatch
9:26 AM - 3 January, 2011
I do not need a spaceship of fx and gadgets in my dj program to make a crowd happy..Actually when I hear a dj using fx all night it drives me nuts..
Depsite the occasional droputs from 1.7, I still like Serato..I am justa little worried about the stability .
Depsite the occasional droputs from 1.7, I still like Serato..I am justa little worried about the stability .
bigdik magee
9:28 AM - 3 January, 2011
+1 I do that but I get what your saying less sometimes is more but really depend on the crowd ;)
Quote:
I do not need a spaceship of fx and gadgets in my dj program to make a crowd happy..Actually when I hear a dj using fx all night it drives me nuts..+1 I do that but I get what your saying less sometimes is more but really depend on the crowd ;)
bigdik magee
9:33 AM - 3 January, 2011
I do not need a spaceship of fx and gadgets in my dj program to make a crowd happy..Actually when I hear a dj using fx all night it drives me nuts..
+1 I do that but I get what your saying less sometimes is more but really depend on the crowd ;)
oh and the mmuuuuussssssiiiiiccccccc-ic-ic-ic-ic-ic-ic-ic selection
Quote:
Quote:
I do not need a spaceship of fx and gadgets in my dj program to make a crowd happy..Actually when I hear a dj using fx all night it drives me nuts..
+1 I do that but I get what your saying less sometimes is more but really depend on the crowd ;)
oh and the mmuuuuussssssiiiiiccccccc-ic-ic-ic-ic-ic-ic-ic selection
Sfunk
8:38 PM - 3 February, 2011
My S4 came in a couple days ago and I'm ready to put my VCI300 on craigslist. My best friend has a XONEDX and I've used it extensively so I have a strong foundation of comparing the three.
The DX has the most solid construction of the three but the knobs and buttons are so cramped that it's annoying. Both the VCI and S4 have great layouts and ease of use but the VCI is so basic that its hard to compare. I like the feeling of the DX the best, except for the jog wheels. The right platter on my VCI always sticks, i've tried fixing it, it worked for awhile but it still sticks which is annoying. The S4 jog wheels are the best in terms of their design, they make pitch bending a breeze. I felt I had to be super careful not to accidently hit the top of the platter when my VCI was in its flight case.
Library management sucks on Traktor Pro s4 compared to on itch. I use itunes to manage my library and it took some figuring out with Traktor.
The overlapping wave forms are nice on itch but when i'd run 3 or 4 decks on the DX I didn't even look at the wave forms because it gave me a headache.
Other than that i highly reccomend the S4. Traktor is a much more powerful program and they obviously have a plan. The new version of Traktor thats coming out very soon will have colorful waveforms that look good as funk based off the video on the native instruments home page. The things you can do on the S4 allow for unlimited creativity. If you spin Electronic Music the S4 is the ISH!!!
The only other downside i can think of when it comes to the S4 is the NI Forum is filled with a bunch of un helpful D-Bags. I spin House in Miami and i feel comfortable bringing the S4 to the club because i can do stuff that I can't do on CDJ's and a DJM800. I can layer like its nobody's business with the S4 and everything is on point. I've been using the S4 for a couple days but i can already tell. If any XONEDX or VCI300 user purchases an S4 they aren't gonna want to use anything else.
The DX has the most solid construction of the three but the knobs and buttons are so cramped that it's annoying. Both the VCI and S4 have great layouts and ease of use but the VCI is so basic that its hard to compare. I like the feeling of the DX the best, except for the jog wheels. The right platter on my VCI always sticks, i've tried fixing it, it worked for awhile but it still sticks which is annoying. The S4 jog wheels are the best in terms of their design, they make pitch bending a breeze. I felt I had to be super careful not to accidently hit the top of the platter when my VCI was in its flight case.
Library management sucks on Traktor Pro s4 compared to on itch. I use itunes to manage my library and it took some figuring out with Traktor.
The overlapping wave forms are nice on itch but when i'd run 3 or 4 decks on the DX I didn't even look at the wave forms because it gave me a headache.
Other than that i highly reccomend the S4. Traktor is a much more powerful program and they obviously have a plan. The new version of Traktor thats coming out very soon will have colorful waveforms that look good as funk based off the video on the native instruments home page. The things you can do on the S4 allow for unlimited creativity. If you spin Electronic Music the S4 is the ISH!!!
The only other downside i can think of when it comes to the S4 is the NI Forum is filled with a bunch of un helpful D-Bags. I spin House in Miami and i feel comfortable bringing the S4 to the club because i can do stuff that I can't do on CDJ's and a DJM800. I can layer like its nobody's business with the S4 and everything is on point. I've been using the S4 for a couple days but i can already tell. If any XONEDX or VCI300 user purchases an S4 they aren't gonna want to use anything else.
Rob Pointer
8:44 PM - 3 February, 2011
Even with the new version and colored waveforms Traktor is off my consideration list (and I've used it for years before moving to Itch) until it has variable beat gridding option and, as you said above, library management that is better than Itch.
Those two are deal killers for me because of how they help me play out better.
I like Traktor, don't get me wrong, but I think Itch is better suited for traditional DJing vs. production style all in one package like the S4.
Of course, we have The Bridge coming so we'll see what that brings.
Thanks for the review. It is good to get insight from people that have the ability to compare based on experience.
Those two are deal killers for me because of how they help me play out better.
I like Traktor, don't get me wrong, but I think Itch is better suited for traditional DJing vs. production style all in one package like the S4.
Of course, we have The Bridge coming so we'll see what that brings.
Thanks for the review. It is good to get insight from people that have the ability to compare based on experience.
Sfunk
6:20 PM - 5 February, 2011
Just spun a 3 hour Electronic set at the club last night and got a really good feel for the S4.
In terms of the software's digital mixing capabilities, Traktor Pro S4 seems to have the edge over Itch. I typically spin with 3 layered decks. I noticed a major differences between TPS4 and Itch's ability to differentiate the sound. I never thought the sound quality was bad when I mixed 3 decks with my XoneDX on itch, but after using the Kontrol S4 last night I could definitely tell a differences. When bringing in the 2nd and 3rd decks you could hear the new sound loud, clear, and crisp compared to the zone where I felt a lot of the intricacy of sound was lost.
The same goes for the sound quality of the effects. On the XoneDX when I would bring it effects I always felt that the sound was somewhat weak compared to when using the effects on a DJM800 (I used to plug in the XoneDX to the DJM800 and use the DJM800's effects because i wasn't satisfied with the sound quality of Itch's). With using the Kontrol S4 and TPS4's effects you can really feel them through the speakers.
Another thing is people complain about the Traktor Pro's beatgrids, particularly with hip hop tracks. I was worried about this before I purchased my S4 because I do spin open format. After playing around with a bunch of hip-hop tracks I must say that the beatgrids and bpm were pretty spot on, I think i've had to fix like 2 of the 50 tracks I tested. The bpm was spot on but the beatgrid was off and I fixed this by clicking the tap button a few times in beat with the music.
Overall I think that if you spin casual hip hop or party grooves the vci 300 might be right for you because of its simplicity. It's really an organic machine. If you spin electronic music and are having a tough time choosing between the XoneDX and the Kontrol S4 it is really no contest. Not only is the hardware layout on the S4 surperior, but the software allows you to stretch the limits of your creative ability with powerful and dynamic sound. The only problem I've had is with library management. But after reading the TPS4 manual and the forums I think I've got the situation under control. Also it might be noted that TPS4 has had one major update and it has seemed to fix every single problem. The reason I switched in the first place is because I got tired of waiting for itch 2.0 and although my vci 300 was solid, the xone dx never ran perfect for me. Every time i used it in the club I was scared for my life.
In terms of the software's digital mixing capabilities, Traktor Pro S4 seems to have the edge over Itch. I typically spin with 3 layered decks. I noticed a major differences between TPS4 and Itch's ability to differentiate the sound. I never thought the sound quality was bad when I mixed 3 decks with my XoneDX on itch, but after using the Kontrol S4 last night I could definitely tell a differences. When bringing in the 2nd and 3rd decks you could hear the new sound loud, clear, and crisp compared to the zone where I felt a lot of the intricacy of sound was lost.
The same goes for the sound quality of the effects. On the XoneDX when I would bring it effects I always felt that the sound was somewhat weak compared to when using the effects on a DJM800 (I used to plug in the XoneDX to the DJM800 and use the DJM800's effects because i wasn't satisfied with the sound quality of Itch's). With using the Kontrol S4 and TPS4's effects you can really feel them through the speakers.
Another thing is people complain about the Traktor Pro's beatgrids, particularly with hip hop tracks. I was worried about this before I purchased my S4 because I do spin open format. After playing around with a bunch of hip-hop tracks I must say that the beatgrids and bpm were pretty spot on, I think i've had to fix like 2 of the 50 tracks I tested. The bpm was spot on but the beatgrid was off and I fixed this by clicking the tap button a few times in beat with the music.
Overall I think that if you spin casual hip hop or party grooves the vci 300 might be right for you because of its simplicity. It's really an organic machine. If you spin electronic music and are having a tough time choosing between the XoneDX and the Kontrol S4 it is really no contest. Not only is the hardware layout on the S4 surperior, but the software allows you to stretch the limits of your creative ability with powerful and dynamic sound. The only problem I've had is with library management. But after reading the TPS4 manual and the forums I think I've got the situation under control. Also it might be noted that TPS4 has had one major update and it has seemed to fix every single problem. The reason I switched in the first place is because I got tired of waiting for itch 2.0 and although my vci 300 was solid, the xone dx never ran perfect for me. Every time i used it in the club I was scared for my life.
Sfunk
6:29 PM - 5 February, 2011
Oh and one final thing to note. My friend has Traktor Pro S4 on his MBP and the other day we were swapping the S4 between both computers and the Traktor software instantly picked up the controller. I know with Itch when plugging the usb into a different computer I used to have to close itch and reopen it for the decks to register.
Kmxorbit
6:38 PM - 5 February, 2011
No doubt that traktor is great program. The controller will be tops as well I guess.
But I tried traktor, and it did not feel comfortable to me.
But hey, The V7's are my weapon of choice and cannot be compared with an S4/xone Dx.
But I tried traktor, and it did not feel comfortable to me.
But hey, The V7's are my weapon of choice and cannot be compared with an S4/xone Dx.
Ragman
7:26 PM - 5 February, 2011
I do this all the time with my V7s, hot-swapping the hardware from Itch on my MBP to Itch my desktop. Never had to do a restart of the software. I use v1.5 on the MBP and 1.7.1 on the pc.
Quote:
I know with Itch when plugging the usb into a different computer I used to have to close itch and reopen it for the decks to register.I do this all the time with my V7s, hot-swapping the hardware from Itch on my MBP to Itch my desktop. Never had to do a restart of the software. I use v1.5 on the MBP and 1.7.1 on the pc.
DJ Urkel Dee
7:58 PM - 5 February, 2011
But I tried traktor, and it did not feel comfortable to me.
But hey, The V7's are my weapon of choice and cannot be compared with an S4/xone Dx.
It's a happy medium for me.. I use my V7's with Traktor:)
Quote:
No doubt that traktor is great program. The controller will be tops as well I guess.But I tried traktor, and it did not feel comfortable to me.
But hey, The V7's are my weapon of choice and cannot be compared with an S4/xone Dx.
It's a happy medium for me.. I use my V7's with Traktor:)
haze324
8:28 PM - 5 February, 2011
Sfunk..
Sweet review man. I'm from Miami as well, but living outside the US right now might have to hit you up when I get back to Miami. I've been working on some neat mappings for the S4 and am always down to share ideas with local DJ's.
I've read some folks complain the S4 wasn't loud enough compared to CDJ's or other DVS systems ran thru an SL card or Audio 8. Did you have to crank the gains on the DJM? What did you have to set your S4 at.
Sweet review man. I'm from Miami as well, but living outside the US right now might have to hit you up when I get back to Miami. I've been working on some neat mappings for the S4 and am always down to share ideas with local DJ's.
I've read some folks complain the S4 wasn't loud enough compared to CDJ's or other DVS systems ran thru an SL card or Audio 8. Did you have to crank the gains on the DJM? What did you have to set your S4 at.
Sfunk
3:35 PM - 6 February, 2011
I didn't really have to crank up the gains on the DJM but I did have to mess with the software main. For most of the night I had the software main set for -3.8 but for a few tracks I had to turn down the software main to -4.5. The main on the S4 stayed in between 2 and 3 o'clock. I haven't really had a chance to push the S4 to the limit, I just know that at times when I was mixing with the VCI300 or the DX and working the EQ's the limiter would kick in and if i didn't catch it fast enough I'd get an occasional clipping. There were periods of time the other night where the levels were definitely in the red for 10-15 seconds but i never got any audio blips.
Another positive for the S4 is that when you jack up the high's they get incredibly high, almost enough to make your ears bleed. I felt the EQ's on the S4 had a better range and the filters on each channel and each individual sample slot are a major plus. It's a lot of fun to play with the effects in combination with the filters.
Another positive for the S4 is that when you jack up the high's they get incredibly high, almost enough to make your ears bleed. I felt the EQ's on the S4 had a better range and the filters on each channel and each individual sample slot are a major plus. It's a lot of fun to play with the effects in combination with the filters.
Sfunk
3:43 PM - 6 February, 2011
I also want to add to my previous post that i had autogain enabled and haven't experimented with it disabled. With autogain enabled some tracks came in too hot and some not loud enough but i would say that 90% came in just right. It is a little bit annoying that the gain knobs are encoders and aren't like the gain knobs on the vci that have a limit to their travel. But then again I rarely had to mess with them.
djcerla
4:06 PM - 6 February, 2011
Have you set your ITCH EQs to +12db in the setup panel? Anything more powerful (i.e. a +24db gain) can quickly become a tweeter's killer in the wrong hands, especially when coupled with a resonant filter, so it's not a great idea to implement it IMHO.
Also, the Xone:DX, despite its pedigree, doesn't sound nearly as crisp as the Numark stuff; so the difference comes down to soundcards rather than software mix engines. The NS7 sounds much louder, crispier than the NI S4, at least the one I had for a short test in my studio.
Quote:
Another positive for the S4 is that when you jack up the high's they get incredibly high, almost enough to make your ears bleedHave you set your ITCH EQs to +12db in the setup panel? Anything more powerful (i.e. a +24db gain) can quickly become a tweeter's killer in the wrong hands, especially when coupled with a resonant filter, so it's not a great idea to implement it IMHO.
Also, the Xone:DX, despite its pedigree, doesn't sound nearly as crisp as the Numark stuff; so the difference comes down to soundcards rather than software mix engines. The NS7 sounds much louder, crispier than the NI S4, at least the one I had for a short test in my studio.
Sfunk
4:21 PM - 6 February, 2011
Yeah my itch EQs were set to +12. I just feel when I turn the EQ's on the S4 get a smoother control. That probably doesn't make sense. lol, i think what I mean to say is that I feel like with the S4 I have more specific control over the EQs especially with the highs. With Itch I never felt that the EQ's never sounded that great compared to analog mixers that i've used. And with the DX, when I had 3 decks playing, sound from each specific deck was lost, there was grey area. With TPS4, when I have 3 decks playing i can differentiate between the sounds of those 3 decks. The sound to me is more clean, but like you said the Xone:DX doesn't sound nearly as crisp as the Numark stuff. I've never used an NS7 in a controlled environment.
How did you feel the effects out of the S4 sounded compared to your NS7?
How did you feel the effects out of the S4 sounded compared to your NS7?
haze324
4:31 PM - 6 February, 2011
Sfunk.
For the gain encoders. Add Gain Info to you Deck View/Layout. I have it under the name of my track. So if I turn the encoder I see the value change from -1.5 to 0 to + 1, etc, and can see a value for how much I turned the encoder. Works great this way.
thanks for the feedback.
I'll be back in Miami in about two months. I have an NS7 at home as well, and honestly the sound that comes out of that is awesome. I'm curious to see how the S4 sounds next to it.
For the gain encoders. Add Gain Info to you Deck View/Layout. I have it under the name of my track. So if I turn the encoder I see the value change from -1.5 to 0 to + 1, etc, and can see a value for how much I turned the encoder. Works great this way.
thanks for the feedback.
I'll be back in Miami in about two months. I have an NS7 at home as well, and honestly the sound that comes out of that is awesome. I'm curious to see how the S4 sounds next to it.
djcerla
4:34 PM - 6 February, 2011
Well, NI is working and refining those FX since 11 years, so they're very good, so good that NI sells them separately as DAW plugins. I find Pioneer's FX more musical and enjoyable, though. ITCH's FX at current are "good enough" to get the job done IMHO... the Serato staff awaits for **YOUR** suggestions to improve and fine tune them :)
That's the same, exact feeling I had when switching from VCI-300 to NS7, so it's not a software thing, it's how the D/A converters work, how much aliasing you get from the audio path, etc.
An EQ always adds phase artifacts that may produce a "comb filter" effect (very narrow bandwidth frequency cancellations) especially on high frequencies, ending up in a muffled sound. A better converter/audio path minimizes this problem, thus achieving a much crispier, defined sound.
Quote:
How did you feel the effects out of the S4 sounded compared to your NS7?Well, NI is working and refining those FX since 11 years, so they're very good, so good that NI sells them separately as DAW plugins. I find Pioneer's FX more musical and enjoyable, though. ITCH's FX at current are "good enough" to get the job done IMHO... the Serato staff awaits for **YOUR** suggestions to improve and fine tune them :)
Quote:
That probably doesn't make sense. lol, i think what I mean to say is that I feel like with the S4 I have more specific control over the EQs especially with the highs.That's the same, exact feeling I had when switching from VCI-300 to NS7, so it's not a software thing, it's how the D/A converters work, how much aliasing you get from the audio path, etc.
An EQ always adds phase artifacts that may produce a "comb filter" effect (very narrow bandwidth frequency cancellations) especially on high frequencies, ending up in a muffled sound. A better converter/audio path minimizes this problem, thus achieving a much crispier, defined sound.
Sfunk
4:55 PM - 6 February, 2011
For EDM Dj's, until Itch 2.0 comes out or whenever they release the bridge for itch, I don't think Itch even compares to TPS4. To be honest I bought the VCI-300 a long time ago when it was the best controller out. I bought the VFX as soon as it came out. My good friend who I DJ with wanted to take the next step and bought the DX. Out of the box the DX felt great but the software was not where it needed to be. A few months later Serato got things pretty much sorted out where the DX was something you could work with, but I was still hesitant to plug it in at the club. I kept hoping Itch 2.0 would come out and that everything would be fixed and the bridge would allow me to take my game to the next level, but I waited and waited and waited and I'm still waiting. And then NI released the S4 and after reading the reviews I couldn't help but to get one. And within 5 mins of getting the S4 up and running I knew I wouldn't touch the DX or VCI again unless 2.0 works near perfect from the launch and blows my mind.
I think most of my frustration stems from getting my hopes up only to wait and wait and wait. I think Serato is a company that truly cares about their customers but the way they do things just aren't efficient enough for me. Customers shouldn't have to search through the forum every day to try to get little scraps of info. I like concrete info with concrete dates and concrete software. Like when they finally release 2.0 and the bridge can we trust that it will be club worthy off the bat or will it be another year of fixes and updates?
Sorry about the rant but it feels good to get it off my chest. In conclusion, I highly recommend the S4 to anyone that spins Electronic Music and wants to stretch the limits of their creativity. For those of you that have been waiting for Itch 2.0 and the bridge for two years, good luck. At one time I was also a Serato faithful, but since then I've converted to the dark side.
I think most of my frustration stems from getting my hopes up only to wait and wait and wait. I think Serato is a company that truly cares about their customers but the way they do things just aren't efficient enough for me. Customers shouldn't have to search through the forum every day to try to get little scraps of info. I like concrete info with concrete dates and concrete software. Like when they finally release 2.0 and the bridge can we trust that it will be club worthy off the bat or will it be another year of fixes and updates?
Sorry about the rant but it feels good to get it off my chest. In conclusion, I highly recommend the S4 to anyone that spins Electronic Music and wants to stretch the limits of their creativity. For those of you that have been waiting for Itch 2.0 and the bridge for two years, good luck. At one time I was also a Serato faithful, but since then I've converted to the dark side.
djcerla
5:09 PM - 6 February, 2011
I hear you on the DX. I had one unit very early for a review, and I wasn't impressed. Sound was so-so compared to the NS7, layout too cluttered (for my taste), ergonomy... OK you get the idea. The S4 is a much superior unit IMHO.
On the other hand, I find the V7s+ITCH+DJM800 a much better (if not plain heavenly) DJ experience, so it really comes down to the specific needs of the user. Me, I'm not going back to all-in-ones anytime soon.
On the other hand, I find the V7s+ITCH+DJM800 a much better (if not plain heavenly) DJ experience, so it really comes down to the specific needs of the user. Me, I'm not going back to all-in-ones anytime soon.
Rob Pointer
5:18 PM - 6 February, 2011
well, maybe the NS6? That's gonna be worth a shot when Itch 2.0 comes out IMO.
djcerla
5:23 PM - 6 February, 2011
Definitely, however the S4 has those bells&whistles that may entice some (i.e. the sampler).
Quote:
well, maybe the NS6? That's gonna be worth a shot when Itch 2.0 comes out IMO.Definitely, however the S4 has those bells&whistles that may entice some (i.e. the sampler).
Sfunk
6:03 PM - 6 February, 2011
The genius in the sampler is how whenever you pull a loop down into one of the sample decks it automatically saves that sample into your library. The sampler brings so much more complexity into my sets and is simple to use. Whenever I spin load up all 8 sample decks with different styles of House and even Techno beats and layer them into the mix to add that extra character.
Kanario Dj Producer
8:17 AM - 31 March, 2011
Man, I had a hard time downloading the new Traktor 2 Software!
A lot of users are as we speak unable to download the update!
I used a walk around trick, and finally was able to download the update. The problem is that you have a log in account to download software updates and another for the forum. The login info I used to register my first Traktor S4 software supposedly didn't meet the criteria to download the free update. Every S4 user was having the same problem. All S4 owners are getting the new Traktor 2 for free, but you have to receive a voucher via email.
We got the update 2 days earlier, Traktor 2 was landing April 1st.
The server was down a couple of times due to all the users trying to download!
The download process over here is a lot simpler!
Traktor 2 is sick man, I'm waiting for the new Serato Itch. I have the intention of getting another Itch controller since I got rid of the VCI300.
A lot of users are as we speak unable to download the update!
I used a walk around trick, and finally was able to download the update. The problem is that you have a log in account to download software updates and another for the forum. The login info I used to register my first Traktor S4 software supposedly didn't meet the criteria to download the free update. Every S4 user was having the same problem. All S4 owners are getting the new Traktor 2 for free, but you have to receive a voucher via email.
We got the update 2 days earlier, Traktor 2 was landing April 1st.
The server was down a couple of times due to all the users trying to download!
The download process over here is a lot simpler!
Traktor 2 is sick man, I'm waiting for the new Serato Itch. I have the intention of getting another Itch controller since I got rid of the VCI300.
Rob Pointer
5:21 PM - 31 March, 2011
I think this feature alone is the strongest new function of the release. That and the colored waveforms - but Itch already had that feature anyway.
Quote:
The genius in the sampler is how whenever you pull a loop down into one of the sample decks it automatically saves that sample into your library. The sampler brings so much more complexity into my sets and is simple to use. Whenever I spin load up all 8 sample decks with different styles of House and even Techno beats and layer them into the mix to add that extra character.I think this feature alone is the strongest new function of the release. That and the colored waveforms - but Itch already had that feature anyway.
Kanario Dj Producer
6:10 PM - 31 March, 2011
I don't have any videos, but I will make one with my phone later. Right now I'm trying to figure out how do I import my playlist to the new Traktor 2 software.
The new software don't replace the old one like Serato Itch or SSL! (Traktor S4 comes with the controller, Traktor 2 is the new install).
Missing the simplicity of Itch right now!
The new software don't replace the old one like Serato Itch or SSL! (Traktor S4 comes with the controller, Traktor 2 is the new install).
Missing the simplicity of Itch right now!
Kanario Dj Producer
7:44 PM - 31 March, 2011
The genius in the sampler is how whenever you pull a loop down into one of the sample decks it automatically saves that sample into your library. The sampler brings so much more complexity into my sets and is simple to use. Whenever I spin load up all 8 sample decks with different styles of House and even Techno beats and layer them into the mix to add that extra character.
I think this feature alone is the strongest new function of the release. That and the colored waveforms - but Itch already had that feature anyway.
The loop and Sample thing was in the first release (Traktor S4). However, NI added a few new features to the sampler in Traktor 2.
Quote:
Quote:
The genius in the sampler is how whenever you pull a loop down into one of the sample decks it automatically saves that sample into your library. The sampler brings so much more complexity into my sets and is simple to use. Whenever I spin load up all 8 sample decks with different styles of House and even Techno beats and layer them into the mix to add that extra character.
I think this feature alone is the strongest new function of the release. That and the colored waveforms - but Itch already had that feature anyway.
The loop and Sample thing was in the first release (Traktor S4). However, NI added a few new features to the sampler in Traktor 2.
thebulge
9:19 PM - 31 March, 2011
I think the loop editor / sampler is everything the SP6 should be. I am hoping that in exchange for NI biting their coloured waveforms, serato can jack their loop editor / sampler.
Kanario Dj Producer
8:30 PM - 1 April, 2011
Just finished recording a video of some of the features of The Traktor S4 T2 Sampler!
Fist time I do this, I had to hold the camera in one hand and work the controller with the other. Felt really weird, half my brain was thinking about the camera and where to point it, the other half was working on the music, timing, coordination, and what feature to show next!
For a few seconds I look confused, my mind went blank a couple of times. A new but good experience. The unedited version is about 9 minutes, I don't think you guys can stomach 9 minutes of me just punching buttons. So I will edit it and maybe cut it in half or more.
Fist time I do this, I had to hold the camera in one hand and work the controller with the other. Felt really weird, half my brain was thinking about the camera and where to point it, the other half was working on the music, timing, coordination, and what feature to show next!
For a few seconds I look confused, my mind went blank a couple of times. A new but good experience. The unedited version is about 9 minutes, I don't think you guys can stomach 9 minutes of me just punching buttons. So I will edit it and maybe cut it in half or more.
laraway
7:33 PM - 6 April, 2011
Im looking to make the switch to an s4 from vci300 and vfx. are there any problems with the unit? is it due to be updated any time soon?
haze324
7:37 PM - 6 April, 2011
updated?
It just came out. Works great too. Seen it on stage live during WMC in Miami.
I would check out DJTT or the NI S4 forum for more info. I would also download the free version to Traktor 2 and see if it's something you would like. It is VERY different than Itch.
It just came out. Works great too. Seen it on stage live during WMC in Miami.
I would check out DJTT or the NI S4 forum for more info. I would also download the free version to Traktor 2 and see if it's something you would like. It is VERY different than Itch.
laraway
7:51 PM - 6 April, 2011
in the process now. Its great to see it being used at WMC, I dont think I have ever seen a famous dj use itch. Can you connect vinyl and cdjs to the s4?
haze324
7:57 PM - 6 April, 2011
you can play "thru" an empty channel in the Traktor Software or if you have pay for the TSP upgrade you can use it with Timecode, but only two decks (C and D).
Just check out the other forums. Kinda fucked up to discuss the S4 like this on Serato's forum.
Just check out the other forums. Kinda fucked up to discuss the S4 like this on Serato's forum.
soundbiter
8:01 PM - 6 April, 2011
With the Twitch coming out, it's clear Serato is intending to take on such competition directly; I don't see any problem with discussing very relevant comparable products. Competition spurs innovation anyway.
Quote:
Kinda fucked up to discuss the S4 like this on Serato's forum.With the Twitch coming out, it's clear Serato is intending to take on such competition directly; I don't see any problem with discussing very relevant comparable products. Competition spurs innovation anyway.
haze324
8:03 PM - 6 April, 2011
I agree ---- but we're not comparing products and pros and cons.
We're talking about leaving Serato for NI and asking the Serato users about NI. Those questions are best answered on an NI forum, there's tons of info over there.
I think the Novation Twitch is secretly Ean Goldens Traktor baby :)
We're talking about leaving Serato for NI and asking the Serato users about NI. Those questions are best answered on an NI forum, there's tons of info over there.
I think the Novation Twitch is secretly Ean Goldens Traktor baby :)
Kanario Dj Producer
8:44 PM - 6 April, 2011
Just check out the other forums. Kinda fucked up to discuss the S4 like this on Serato's forum.
It is not f--ked at all! This is a thread to discuss the S4! I know The Serato team talk and discuss other products, even CEOs from big Tech companies buy and use products from the competition. I read the story if i'm not mistaken about GM's CEO, and the fact that he doesn't drive GM cars, he drives Toyotas, Bimmers, etc to better understand what's so good about those cars, and the reason consumers buy them. The only way you can beat the competition is by knowing their strength!
Serato was the only software with colored waves, now Traktor has them!
Traktor supports midi mapping, now Serato is implementing it!
And we will continue to see more features criss cross the 2 platforms, now that each company is trying to outdo the other!
The info we discuss here benefits Serato more than otherwise!
You won't win a war without a spy!
Quote:
you can play "thru" an empty channel in the Traktor Software or if you have pay for the TSP upgrade you can use it with Timecode, but only two decks (C and D).Just check out the other forums. Kinda fucked up to discuss the S4 like this on Serato's forum.
It is not f--ked at all! This is a thread to discuss the S4! I know The Serato team talk and discuss other products, even CEOs from big Tech companies buy and use products from the competition. I read the story if i'm not mistaken about GM's CEO, and the fact that he doesn't drive GM cars, he drives Toyotas, Bimmers, etc to better understand what's so good about those cars, and the reason consumers buy them. The only way you can beat the competition is by knowing their strength!
Serato was the only software with colored waves, now Traktor has them!
Traktor supports midi mapping, now Serato is implementing it!
And we will continue to see more features criss cross the 2 platforms, now that each company is trying to outdo the other!
The info we discuss here benefits Serato more than otherwise!
You won't win a war without a spy!
haze324
9:26 PM - 6 April, 2011
I hear ya man. But the topic is about telling a guy to stop using a Serato product and start using Traktor.
I don't have a problem discussing feature sets.
I don't have a problem discussing feature sets.
Kanario Dj Producer
10:49 PM - 6 April, 2011
I use both DJ platforms, I first started with SSL, but carrying that damn coffin around almost broke my back. Needed something more portable. Sold my CDJs and SSL interface and adopted Itch.
Itch has been solid, and I like its simplicity more than ever now that I have Traktor.
Traktor is more complex! It has taken me a long time to get used to. There is a lot of prep time involve. To make Traktor shine you need to beatgrid, it takes a lot of time.
Itch is more straight forward. You can mix just by matching tempos. You will have the occasional train wreck (drifting) if you don't babysit, but you get more visual info. The new itch 2.0 even gives you a visual representation of the first beat in every bar.
The Traktor Sampler is excellent! And midi mapping is crazy, you can make one button do 3 things at the same time when you press it!
Itch has been solid, and I like its simplicity more than ever now that I have Traktor.
Traktor is more complex! It has taken me a long time to get used to. There is a lot of prep time involve. To make Traktor shine you need to beatgrid, it takes a lot of time.
Itch is more straight forward. You can mix just by matching tempos. You will have the occasional train wreck (drifting) if you don't babysit, but you get more visual info. The new itch 2.0 even gives you a visual representation of the first beat in every bar.
The Traktor Sampler is excellent! And midi mapping is crazy, you can make one button do 3 things at the same time when you press it!
Kanario Dj Producer
5:24 AM - 7 April, 2011
Itch has been solid, and I like its simplicity more than ever now that I have Traktor.
Traktor is more complex! It has taken me a long time to get used to. There is a lot of prep time involve. To make Traktor shine you need to beatgrid, it takes a lot of time.
Itch is more straight forward. You can mix just by matching tempos. You will have the occasional train wreck (drifting) if you don't babysit, but you get more visual info. The new itch 2.0 even gives you a visual representation of the first beat in every bar.
The Traktor Sampler is excellent! And midi mapping is crazy, you can make one button do 3 things at the same time when you press it!
Actually all this info was directed to someone asking about the S4 and Traktor in this thread. I forgot to include his quote!
Quote:
I use both DJ platforms, I first started with SSL, but carrying that damn coffin around almost broke my back. Needed something more portable. Sold my CDJs and SSL interface and adopted Itch.Itch has been solid, and I like its simplicity more than ever now that I have Traktor.
Traktor is more complex! It has taken me a long time to get used to. There is a lot of prep time involve. To make Traktor shine you need to beatgrid, it takes a lot of time.
Itch is more straight forward. You can mix just by matching tempos. You will have the occasional train wreck (drifting) if you don't babysit, but you get more visual info. The new itch 2.0 even gives you a visual representation of the first beat in every bar.
The Traktor Sampler is excellent! And midi mapping is crazy, you can make one button do 3 things at the same time when you press it!
Actually all this info was directed to someone asking about the S4 and Traktor in this thread. I forgot to include his quote!
Dj Ace
5:33 AM - 7 April, 2011
All I here is Traktor Traktor from the same folks....at least keep it in one thread?
dj ask
5:55 AM - 7 April, 2011
u know i must admit i like itch. i just dont know how i feel about ChrisD. I think he needs to take a chill pill and start defending the right people and making the people who actually deserve it to "shut up".. i know it probably has nothing to do with this thread in particular. in other news itch 2 has the sampler! :D
KLH
11:16 PM - 10 August, 2011
Hey guys, it's been a long time, but I thought that I'd post this here as it is my Monster Review of the S4 - written from the perspective of someone who went from ITCH (v1.5). It's 9 months too late, but whatever. It's always nice to read about "that guys that went the other way."
I just posted this on DJF, so I thought that I'd post it here:
www.djforums.com
FWIW, I miss you guys and this ITCH forum. There are a LOT of good guys and great info here. NI is more draconian in the way they do business. I miss being able to get a note or two to the devs - usually praising their work - and hearing that they appreciate it. I guess I'll just say it: NI sucks.
ITCHv2 is a great step forward, guys. Congratulations.
Take care,
-KLH
I just posted this on DJF, so I thought that I'd post it here:
www.djforums.com
FWIW, I miss you guys and this ITCH forum. There are a LOT of good guys and great info here. NI is more draconian in the way they do business. I miss being able to get a note or two to the devs - usually praising their work - and hearing that they appreciate it. I guess I'll just say it: NI sucks.
ITCHv2 is a great step forward, guys. Congratulations.
Take care,
-KLH
nik39
8:06 AM - 11 August, 2011
Good read, thanks for the review and link, KLH!
Quote:
I just posted this on DJF, so I thought that I'd post it here:Good read, thanks for the review and link, KLH!
To participate in this forum discussion please log in to your Serato account.