Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Turn off playcount sometimes!

sj_gregory 11:51 AM - 3 August, 2019
Id like to be able to turn off playcount for some sessions (practice etc). Ive used playcount for years via itunes for gig stats, and its great it is finally here on Serato, but Id like to not count plays during practice sessions, as it screws with my stats!
PeterL 4:52 PM - 18 August, 2019
+1
Dark Blue 9:22 AM - 22 August, 2019
+1
PFFABG 7:38 AM - 23 August, 2019
+1

It’s a nice feature, but it should be optional, or you should be able to choose when it writes tags
Bang Ali 10:06 AM - 8 September, 2019
+1
I play with serato daily as turntablist and I could not care less about play-statistics...

Even more important I do not want to have rewriting of my files since every SSD has only a limited rewriting capacity and the way the feature has been implemented just wears unnessesary the SSD for those who do not need play count.
PFFABG 12:50 PM - 31 October, 2019
+1

Whilst I don’t personally use the playcount feature, I understand why a lot of people wanted it. But I hate how it writes tags to the mp3s every time a track is loaded.

Hopefully they can either change the way Serato keeps a record of the number of plays, or give us the option to disable the feature.
cotdagoo 3:10 PM - 31 October, 2019
Wanted a playcount feature... However the implementation is horrible and only started counting from 2019.. kind of useless for all the problems it creates.

Would rather not have this feature with how it's been done.

No point in doing something if you aren't going to do it right.. This was a half-assed attempt IMO
Chino 6:47 PM - 31 October, 2019
+1!! I would also like the ability to turn OFF play count!!
Mark-i 11:29 AM - 1 November, 2019
+1 me too
casious 6:18 PM - 9 November, 2019
+1
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:27 PM - 12 November, 2019
+1
Panesar 6:01 PM - 18 November, 2019
+1
NukeBox 6:40 AM - 26 November, 2019
+1
Derekd 8:00 PM - 20 December, 2019
Also would love this. Something like a button to "ignore play count for this session"

If you practice beatjuggling a bunch, then it makes sorting by play count pointless

I don't want to know which songs I practice the most, I want to know which songs I play during my sets the most
Reverend Moehare 1:13 PM - 28 December, 2019
Quote:
Even more important I do not want to have rewriting of my files since every SSD has only a limited rewriting capacity and the way the feature has been implemented just wears unnessesary the SSD for those who do not need play count.

Stop worrying about write limits on SSD drives. Worse case scenario you would need to issue about 3 Exabytes of writes to a 1 TB drive to hit the limit. You won't do that anytime soon. Stop fearing SSD, modern SSD are so resiliant, don't carry a silly phobia because of them.

You should read this article: www.ontrack.com

Meanwhile, yes, it would be nice to not have plays counted during some sessions and a feature to allow you to do this.
Res-Q 3:37 AM - 30 December, 2019
+1 because it launches Time Machine backups that take forever now.

Just went through hundreds of video files preview real quick in offline mode for nye and now I see time machine backing up 80Go of files.... it's taking forever, I should be off to sleep and here I am waiting for the backup to finish so I can unplug the hard drive and shut down the mac...
Play count is a pita
AKIEM 5:11 PM - 2 January, 2020
Poorly implemented without the off switch.
popnwave 1:41 AM - 3 January, 2020
You guys need to switch to SuperDuper or some other backup solution that uses a more intelligent differential backup solution than Time Machine.
Res-Q 1:49 AM - 3 January, 2020
Just because of Serato implementing a lame playcount feature, now I need to change my backup workflow, which was just basic plug and play, and install yet another software on top of the apple existing one?
I hear you on the tip Pop, thx I will look into it. Is it a freeware?

As much as I love serato they totally messed up this play count feature.

+ the fact that it doesnt count my 10 year old serato history makes this new feature even more lame imo
popnwave 4:27 PM - 3 January, 2020
Quote:
+ the fact that it doesnt count my 10 year old serato history makes this new feature even more lame imo

That's the biggest failing to me - also the fact what it counts as a "play" when sometimes you're just previewing or testing a track is going to skew my counts as well.

SuperDuper as well as CarbonCopy Cloner do have paid versions (I bought SuperDuper like 9 years ago so I forget what it unlocked).

I have a feeling the current implementation of play count will go bye bye in the future. Serato would be much better served by providing a utility to scan the HISTORY for the info we REALLY want.
Res-Q 11:07 PM - 3 January, 2020
Quote:
That's the biggest failing to me - also the fact what it counts as a "play" when sometimes you're just previewing or testing a track is going to skew my counts as well.

+1 it was so much better when tracks were mark as played when a new track was loaded on the other deck.....
But no.... serato for some odd reason changed this behavior and now if we load a track and put the fader up for 1 second it will instantly be marked as played.... so lame
I have seen tons of people here complaining about that.

Is there a SERATO rep reading these forums and forwarding these comments anyway?
I havent read a Serato comment here in years... have you?
Res-Q 11:09 PM - 3 January, 2020
Quote:
I have a feeling the current implementation of play count will go bye bye in the future. Serato would be much better served by providing a utility to scan the HISTORY for the info we REALLY want.

May the Serato gods hear you, this pay count feature is lame.
Put me back on the beta team Serato I got tons of remarks
popnwave 12:36 AM - 4 January, 2020
I think they still read these, there's just a THIN line a lot of people cross that goes from suggestions to toxic feedback.

Here's hoping we see some tweaks to this function though!
Rob J 6:00 AM - 7 January, 2020
Have to echo a need to switch Play Count off. I don't like rewriting every file I play to backups, and I might play 20 to 30 tracks an hour, which sometimes means hundreds of tracks have to be backed up each time, instead of, say, 5, like it used to be.

It appears that enough other DJs are in the same frame of mind as well - that Play Count isn't necessary for our workflow. I downgraded to 2.1.2 to "solve" the problem, but I miss the smoother waveform movement which came out with 2.2.0 and higher.

Absolutely leave the Play Count feature for those that do need and like it, but please consider a manner of switching it off in the Serato settings, and when shut off, returns track file handling like it did before 2.2.0 - that is, doesn't modify metadata with every play, unless the user modifies metadata (such as cue points, information tags, etc.).

Thanks for reading!
mixgoonie 1:55 PM - 4 April, 2020
+1
Rob J 2:29 AM - 9 April, 2020
Serato DJ 2.3.4 is now out, and there is still no ability to switch off Play Count as of yet. Please, Serato, can you make that happen? Is the coding to accomplish this difficult to do? Holding back on 2.1.2 (the version before Play Count came out), is a real bummer. Here's hoping!
cotdagoo 2:18 PM - 9 April, 2020
Yup.. Another compatibility upgrade with "potential" fixes and no real reason to upgrade.

Quote:

8 April, 2020

Support for the Rane SEVENTY.
Fixed an issue where the Denon DJ SC5000/SC5000M library column sort indicator could disappear.
Improved Motorized Platter accuracy reducing potential audio artefacts.
Fixed a potential crash when clicking the mouse.
"Snap to Beatgrids" setting enabled by default for DJs previously using SDJ Lite.

Res-Q 7:40 AM - 23 April, 2020
+1
Rob J 3:01 PM - 20 June, 2020
Maybe on the next update? Please, Serato?
DJ-Giant 6:53 PM - 22 June, 2020
I support this like in following threads (one started by myself)
serato.com
and
serato.com
Rob J 11:49 PM - 5 July, 2020
2.3.6 is out. Please, Serato? I (and others) are still using 2.1.2 to avoid Play Count, but it would be nice to get some of the optimizations of the more recent releases. Wouldn’t it be simple enough to make Play Count a switchable feature in the Serato settings, please?
Luca Monti 9:24 AM - 6 July, 2020
+1
Marv Incredible 11:37 PM - 8 July, 2020
+1
cotdagoo 4:19 AM - 10 July, 2020
Their code base must be so janked up and broken if they can't make this happen.

Only "features" are controller support. yikes
Rob J 12:54 AM - 16 August, 2020
Serato reps, as you can see, the Play Count feature, though long-awaited, is not being met with accolade across the board. I have no interest in moving to another platform, but can someone at least come in here and acknowledge that you are listening and if there is any consideration of changing Play Count to at least be a selectable item in the settings, or if there is no plans for this? Some kind of feedback, even if disappointing, would be greatly appreciated, please. Thank you in advance.
STRyk 7:10 PM - 1 September, 2020
Another post about playcount...
Res-Q 12:19 PM - 6 September, 2020
bump
Rob J 5:55 PM - 8 September, 2020
Please Serato, since the upcoming 2.4 release is going to offer some important features, can you please consider the ability to shut off Play Count in the settings in this release as well?
nilre 12:17 PM - 2 October, 2020
+1

I propose that the play count is stored in a table in the Serato library and _not_ in the audio files.

So, make it configurable:

a. play count disabled
b. play count stored in audio file
c. play count stored in library
STRyk 6:06 PM - 4 October, 2020
And
d. serato doesn't read posts

:)
Rob J 11:04 PM - 4 October, 2020
Gotta believe that Serato is aware of this feature request. Here’s hoping!
Bang Ali 5:20 PM - 6 October, 2020
Just bumping this as the other threat... who we have to sleep over with for getting play count get turned off???
cotdagoo 8:59 PM - 7 October, 2020
Another release, with a beta period.. Staff flat out refused to even answer a single question about play count.

You'd have to be amazing in bed to turn their heads I think.
Rob J 8:13 PM - 16 October, 2020
Serato has finally acknowledged this request and all they have for us currently is that it is under consideration:

Jamie W 5:06 PM - 7 October, 2020
Hi All,

I apologise for the lack of response to this thread.
All your feedback has been noted. This may be something we update in a future release. However, thats all the information I have at the moment.

Kind Regards,
Jamie

So, here's hoping!
DJCarlos. 9:37 AM - 28 December, 2020
Great to know that serato is looking into this.

Play count is not a bad addition to the program, the problem is the implementation :
the fact that it changes (writes) on the file (changing the added date), and the fact that you shlud be able to disable it during the preparation.

nik39 3:05 AM - 31 December, 2020
Quote:
This may be something we update in a future release.

*may*... 🙄
Bigheaded1 9:49 AM - 31 December, 2020
Quote:
Great to know that serato is looking into this.

Play count is not a bad addition to the program, the problem is the implementation :
the fact that it changes (writes) on the file (changing the added date), and the fact that you shlud be able to disable it during the preparation.

I just turned on the date added field and played a song, it updated the play count but not the date added. I exited Serato and reloaded, the track I just played's still showing 12/22 at the added date (when I added it) Are you saying it updates the date added field in your Serato?
Res-Q 3:38 PM - 31 December, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
This may be something we update in a future release.

*may*... 🙄

May 2021 ?

:) jk
Rob J 5:50 PM - 1 January, 2021
I just can’t wait to upgrade from 2.1.2, which is fine, but I want the optimizations of the newer versions. Hopefully the new year will bring some resolve to the Play Count problems.
Res-Q 6:02 PM - 9 January, 2021
+1 BUMP
Can a mod merge these 2 threads ? Same request
serato.com
Res-Q 3:25 AM - 15 February, 2021
yet another request thread about disabling playcount....
there are so many DJs asking to fix this feature, its getting ridiculous

and this forum is dead now, i guess there are tons of complains about this also on social media and discord etc...;

divide and rule

all the requests are now spread across the internet and I guess Serato staff cant answer all or even read all....not 1 answer in this forum for ages now.... sad
Chino 12:11 AM - 17 February, 2021
+1!
Rob J 1:44 AM - 9 March, 2021
Some people like it. That’s okay. However, Play Count is inconveniencing a lot of people for a variety of reasons. Making it switchable in the settings would be the best solution.

Rewriting every track after loading/ejecting it is a resource hit for some people, and a backup nightmare for many, including me. I’m no coder, but it really doesn’t seem as though it would be very challenging to make Play Count be a selectable option in the Serato settings, or code in some other, effective solution.

It is extraordinarily surprising at the lack of attention and, at minimum, even a response from Serato reps on addressing this. ANY news or response would be pretty monumental at this point. I reverted to, and am still using, Serato DJ Pro 2.1.2, which came out in June of 2019. That’s nearly two years ago, and as of this post, 2.4.5 is out, with a 2.5.0 beta available, and there have been 19 OFFICIAL VERSION UPDATES SINCE 2.1.2, which is the last version before Play Count came out. This is poor support at best now.

Serato, please say something? Anything? Even if it’s bad news? Anything?
Rob J 10:13 PM - 12 April, 2021
2.5 is out. No love for the Play Count issues...
Rob J 10:59 PM - 12 April, 2021
Okay, I stand corrected on some of my previous comment. The latest Serato BETA, version 2.5.5.33, has a Library + Display checkbox setting that allows you to "Enable Play Count" added. Unchecking it does, in fact, disable Play Count, and playing/ejecting the tracks no longer causes track metadata rewrites (I confirmed this by noting the Date Modified file attribute in Windows. I have tested this back and forth, with the Play Count enabled and disabled, and it appears to work perfectly as described. Also, if you do want Play Count enabled, using "Instant Doubles" no longer adds to the count - that is HUGE and also works as described. We are heading in the right direction, Serato! So far, so good, and thank you!
Res-Q 11:53 PM - 12 April, 2021
Alleluyah
AKIEM 5:32 AM - 13 April, 2021
good
nik39 12:46 PM - 13 April, 2021
Quote:
Alleluyah

All..ahuakbar? ;-)
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:42 PM - 13 April, 2021
Quote:
Okay, I stand corrected on some of my previous comment. The latest Serato BETA, version 2.5.5.33, has a Library + Display checkbox setting that allows you to "Enable Play Count" added.

I cant find the option in the last Beta nor the recently released 2.5

Beta Serato DJ Pro 2.5.0.2050

Do i need hardware connected to see this option?
nilre 1:46 PM - 13 April, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, I stand corrected on some of my previous comment. The latest Serato BETA, version 2.5.5.33, has a Library + Display checkbox setting that allows you to "Enable Play Count" added.

I cant find the option in the last Beta nor the recently released 2.5

Beta Serato DJ Pro 2.5.0.2050

Do i need hardware connected to see this option?

It’s in the 2.5.5 beta — not the 2.5.0 beta.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:53 PM - 13 April, 2021
Quote:
It’s in the 2.5.5 beta — not the 2.5.0 beta.

ha okay. I don't have access to that section of the forum.

great that this option is coming.
nilre 1:57 PM - 13 April, 2021
Jamie posted this link in one of the other playcount threads: serato.com

Don’t think it is restricted..
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:44 PM - 13 April, 2021
Quote:
Don’t think it is restricted..

Thank you!
Rob J 6:28 PM - 13 April, 2021
I did a 2 hour livestream last night with the 2.5.5.33 beta and not a hitch in sight. No tag writing and all was well. NS7II controller. Low CPU as always, occasionally utilizing PnT and other effects. Happy, but agree that beta versions should be avoided for the serious gigs. I did find that I had to re-log into Serato after installation of the beta on my laptop and desktop, and had to deactivate my laptop and desktop in my Serato account in order to get them to work again. Fortunately, it all came together with a re-logging in and no problems after.
nilre 8:12 PM - 13 April, 2021
I had a session today with 2.5.0 and noticed that the play count is not updated until the track is added to the master output — i.e. you can load a track onto a deck and preview it in the headphones without the play count being updated. But as soon as you push the channel fader up the play count is updated.

I don’t think it was like that in previous versions — was it..? It makes the play count feature more palatable, IMO.

But it would be best if there was an option to store the play counter for a track in the database instead of the in the audio file. I only use a single Serato library, so no need to store the play counter in the audio file.
Res-Q 11:24 PM - 14 April, 2021
Quote:

But it would be best if there was an option to store the play counter for a track in the database instead of the in the audio file. I only use a single Serato library, so no need to store the play counter in the audio file.

This
DJ-Giant 8:27 PM - 23 June, 2021
The day we all waited for :-)
The wait was long but not lonely (all you guys wanted the same) but finally it's here. Now a tool to find in which crates a song resides and we're almost there :-)

grtz
Giant