Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

The ability to disable Play Count

Alan O 3:34 AM - 24 July, 2019
Hi there.

I love version 2.2 but I have this issue with Play Count. As I have no need of such a feature (but some others may do) is there a way to toggle this feature on or off in a future release of Serato DJ Pro?
DJMIYAGI 5:45 PM - 24 July, 2019
Just right click on the columns and uncheck plays
cotdagoo 6:27 PM - 24 July, 2019
Even if you uncheck plays in the columns, I have to assume the tags will still be written to the file which seems to create extra load..

Unfortunate the way they implemented this in the worst way, must have got an intern to code it.
popnwave 10:23 PM - 24 July, 2019
Quote:
Even if you uncheck plays in the columns, I have to assume the tags will still be written to the file which seems to create extra load..

Unfortunate the way they implemented this in the worst way, must have got an intern to code it.

Oh stop being an unsufferable prick already, my old ass 2012 computer can handle the tag writing just like SDJ does MOST of the damn time you play and then unload a track with no hiccups, chokes, whatever you want to call it. Just switch software already.
popnwave 10:24 PM - 24 July, 2019
That being said, it would be nice if you could turn it off, might speed up the tag updates and maybe someone hanging on with even older hardware could eke out a little more use.
cotdagoo 3:03 PM - 25 July, 2019
My old ass computer can handle it fine as well.. Just saying unchecking the plays column wont fix the extra overhead staff mentioned was added with the tag writing.. It's not affecting me at all, but some users for sure are seeing lag/delays as a result.

Doesn't mean I can't comment on the implementation as being poor lol..

I'd wager someone calling someone a "unsufferable prick" has plenty of their own issues to deal with ;)
popnwave 7:03 PM - 25 July, 2019
Quote:
I'd wager someone calling someone a "unsufferable prick" has plenty of their own issues to deal with ;)

Your posts are like people on Yelp/Google who only leave 1 star reviews to complain. They add little the community and yes, they make you look like a prick. And hopefully you got the point despite the typo.
cotdagoo 10:19 PM - 25 July, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Your posts are like people on Yelp/Google who only leave 1 star reviews to complain. They add little the community and yes, they make you look like a prick. And hopefully you got the point despite the typo.

Your name calling adds so much as well! Can't have a discussion without getting upset lol..

Why even bother replying to a post about a feature you yourself say is "mostly novel" for you? If you aren't using the feature, your input is "mostly noise" to me ;)
popnwave 10:35 PM - 25 July, 2019
If only you could post gifs in here. You deserve an eyeroll.
Nacho Ruiz 6:49 PM - 29 August, 2019
Quote:
Hi there.

I love version 2.2 but I have this issue with Play Count. As I have no need of such a feature (but some others may do) is there a way to toggle this feature on or off in a future release of Serato DJ Pro?

+1
DJ Fa2LA 2:27 AM - 2 September, 2019
Seems unclear.... So can play count be fully disabled? It’s the main reason I haven’t updated so curious about that.

Otherwise I’ll stay on the current version I’m using.
popnwave 3:14 AM - 2 September, 2019
Not yet.
DJ Jazzy-Lu 12:07 PM - 24 September, 2019
The reason this feature was poorly done is that it changes the music files. For me I use Google Play Music. I like the feature of last added for my train ride to listen to any new mix I do or new songs. This feature then makes any song loaded to serato changed. Making a 5 yr song seem like it was just added
DJ John Barrow 11:40 AM - 2 October, 2019
So I find the play count a nuisance as well for similar reasons mentioned above. I am a user that keeps 3 copies of my serato database in use at all times. 1 on my desktop and 2 identical laptops that get carried to every gig. I sync all 3 up every week. Before the play count was implemented, syncs happened very quickly, crates, history files and whatever new files were added. Now, with play count added, every file I play is now modified and requires syncing. So if I play 500-750 files over a weekends worth of gigs, each and every one of those files must now be synced. So just turning off the columns someone mentioned above does not remedy this issue. Serato should find a better manner to track play count, maybe a database file, or, provide a setting to completely turn this feature off so that files don't keep getting modified over and over again. In the meantime, I think I'm going to roll back to the earlier version.
AKIEM 9:01 PM - 2 October, 2019
I don't like my files being written to while Im playing. I might change my mind about that and use it. But I still dont want my files counted as played during library management (maybe Im missing something) but this seems like obviously it should have an on/off switch.
Rob J 6:06 AM - 7 January, 2020
Have to echo a need to switch Play Count off. Like the previous poster mentioned, I don't like rewriting every file I play to backups, and I might play 20 to 30 tracks an hour, which sometimes means hundreds of tracks have to be backed up each time, instead of, say, 5, like it used to be.

It appears that enough other DJs are in the same frame of mind as well - that Play Count isn't necessary for our workflow. I downgraded to 2.1.2 to "solve" the problem, but I miss the smoother waveform movement which came out with 2.2.0 and higher.

Absolutely leave the Play Count feature for those that do need and like it, but please consider a manner of switching it off in the Serato settings, and when shut off, returns track file handling like it did before 2.2.0 - that is, doesn't modify metadata with every play, unless the user modifies metadata (such as cue points, information tags, etc.).

Thanks for reading!
Baci 11:36 PM - 7 January, 2020
I have appreciated the addition of the "Plays" count column and feature.
My reason for this suggestion, is that I would like to turn the play count off when I am
preparing offline.
Offline meaning when my mixer is disconnected from DJ Pro and my
Serato Play Expansion Pack is Disabled (unchecked).
During practice, preview, and preparation of a track, the "plays" count increases.
This kinda of defeats the purpose for me because the numbers, then, do not accurately display the culmination of plays a song has had in live performances only.
This feature is relevant to me only for, and during live performances.
popnwave 11:52 PM - 7 January, 2020
Quote:
During practice, preview, and preparation of a track, the "plays" count increases.
This kinda of defeats the purpose for me because the numbers, then, do not accurately display

I noticed this too, and it is a valid complaint of the current implementation.
DJMIYAGI 12:34 AM - 8 January, 2020
At this point it should be an option like the tempo matching display and sync. Serato, please let us decide whether or not we want play count enabled in the settings menu.
AKIEM 1:25 AM - 9 January, 2020
It's pretty dumb to count plays when you are practicing/prepping - useless
Res-Q 2:58 AM - 9 January, 2020
@Serato
why do you reply to threads in the general area and never here?

Can we at least get a "yeah we heard you"?

This has been posted dozens of time already, I guess users will still be posting about this in 10 years from now, just like the "see what crate is in which folder" request.

I mean at least you could say yes we may consider or just no it's not doable.

Not replying to any of these suggestion threads is a bad communication / marketing move imo

PS +1 for the OP, this playcount system implementation is a rushed out failure. It's not like nobody said anything during the beta stage about it already.
Rob J 11:00 PM - 17 January, 2020
I hope that there is someone from Serato paying attention here. I have to believe that they are.
Mark GCH 9:48 PM - 13 February, 2020
I would also like to be able to toggle off play count especially when I am practicing. I am interested in play count registering when I am playing live. When in my studio I may play a track 4 times.
max_imus 1:47 AM - 6 March, 2020
Having the column 'plays' added automatically after updating SDJ is a huge nuisance, now I have to disable this column manually in every single one of my crates.
Rob J 8:18 PM - 10 March, 2020
New 2.3.3 is out. Took a long time from 2.3.2. Was hoping that Play Count would be switchable. Maybe next time, plesae?
Luca Monti 4:43 PM - 18 April, 2020
up!
cotdagoo 2:21 PM - 19 April, 2020
Going to be the 1 year anniversary of this request soon!

Is anyone at Serato HQ listening???
Luca Monti 2:29 PM - 19 April, 2020
Quote:
Going to be the 1 year anniversary of this request soon!

Is anyone at Serato HQ listening???

Sure they are, may be that they haven't experienced the trouble caused by the tag updates during performances... really disappointed by how they are messing around!
Angelo2019 10:35 PM - 20 April, 2020
I am a new serato user and I've just noticed that.

when i am moving fast with loading tracks, it's very slow and annoying

it will be good just to add an option to disable the play count
AKIEM 11:16 PM - 20 April, 2020
the beta testing process must be broken - this should never have made it out without an option
Res-Q 7:35 AM - 23 April, 2020
Please remove play count Serato, please, please pleaaaase.
It's annoying as hell having my time machine taking for ever after playing 8 hours of video it takes for ever!
Luca Monti 8:57 AM - 23 April, 2020
Quote:
Please remove play count Serato, please, please pleaaaase.
It's annoying as hell having my time machine taking for ever after playing 8 hours of video it takes for ever!

They will doubtless follow up our comments, I also opened a ticket to Customer Support as play count heavily affects my HP laptop performances during play!
Rob J 5:09 PM - 23 April, 2020
Just need to make Play Count a switchable settings option. I reverted back to 2.1.2 but I really want a current version because of some of the optimizations.
cotdagoo 7:47 PM - 25 April, 2020
how hard can it be? almost 1 year no progress on a fix other than revert to old version.

that is sad.
Cwite 7:26 PM - 30 April, 2020
Would a user option in the settings to have an 'update playcount?' appear on software at exit be an option for people? This way if it's a practice session, or library management session then you can click 'no'. If you click 'yes' at least the tags are being written after the performance. It may take a tiny bit longer to shut down, but it would solve people's issues.
Luca Monti 7:42 PM - 30 April, 2020
Quote:
Would a user option in the settings to have an 'update playcount?' appear on software at exit be an option for people? This way if it's a practice session, or library management session then you can click 'no'. If you click 'yes' at least the tags are being written after the performance. It may take a tiny bit longer to shut down, but it would solve people's issues.

I'd rather avoid additional coding complexity in terms of registers, pointers to tracks and so on... hence turning into further issues. The on/off option in the general settings should be simple to implement and effective to address the request. Let's wait for an official reply from Serato... fingers crossed!
AKIEM 10:31 PM - 30 April, 2020
Hopefully the button would be the near 'clear history' button. If its in the settings I would just leave off. And an option to stop counting at shutdown. That way when you start a session - clear history + start play count would be routine.
Luca Monti 11:15 AM - 2 May, 2020
Quote:
So I find the play count a nuisance as well for similar reasons mentioned above. I am a user that keeps 3 copies of my serato database in use at all times. 1 on my desktop and 2 identical laptops that get carried to every gig. I sync all 3 up every week. Before the play count was implemented, syncs happened very quickly, crates, history files and whatever new files were added. Now, with play count added, every file I play is now modified and requires syncing. So if I play 500-750 files over a weekends worth of gigs, each and every one of those files must now be synced. So just turning off the columns someone mentioned above does not remedy this issue. Serato should find a better manner to track play count, maybe a database file, or, provide a setting to completely turn this feature off so that files don't keep getting modified over and over again. In the meantime, I think I'm going to roll back to the earlier version.

I totally agree, in addition the weirdest thing is that play count tags are being written as soon as the played track is being dumped, so that the new on takes longer to be loaded onto the deck, creating lags and almost messing up Serato. Definitely rolling back to a previous version.
Res-Q 3:08 AM - 5 May, 2020
anybody wanna start an online petition lol ?

I mean I know a ton of djs from europe who never come to this forum, we need to make noise to be heard imo

I was never the type to bitch about serato, and I have been using it for years.
But this nonsense of writing tags has to STOP

SERATO please tell us you are reading :)
djbrettb 12:07 AM - 10 May, 2020
Bumping this thread. I'm glad the play count feature was finally implemented, but we need an option to disable it. For years I've run a weekly custom rsync script to keep everything synced to my NAS. Before play count, the sync would take minutes. Now it takes hours. Please give us the ability to disable this. Thanks.
Luca Monti 5:55 PM - 12 May, 2020
I just observed that tags are updated as soon as tracks are unloaded from the deck and some writing is performed EVEN IF the track was not played or modified at all… this seems a nonsense to me… if play counter is the reason, why updating it even if the track was just loaded onto the deck and not played at all?!?

Hope it helps.
Res-Q 12:15 AM - 13 May, 2020
Please Serato listen to us
Rob J 3:41 AM - 13 May, 2020
2.3.5 just released... Maybe next one? Serato, can this be done, please?
AKIEM 4:53 PM - 13 May, 2020
Update count on play, not load.
On/off option.
cotdagoo 9:45 PM - 13 May, 2020
everyone: how hard can it be?

SERATO DEVELOPERS: IT'S IMPOSSIBLE APPARENTLY!
Robbie Downes 2:57 PM - 21 May, 2020
I agree.

I would like to only count plays at a gig.

I don’t really want to count plays of practicing at home, because it would no longer be a useful way of knowing which tracks are popular for me, or compiling charts.
snufbox 2:48 PM - 30 May, 2020
+1
Angelo2019 7:29 AM - 1 June, 2020
+1

because of the play count the track load is slower (especially if you scroll and load fast) and it increments my time machine backup
DJ-Giant 6:54 PM - 22 June, 2020
I support this like in following threads (one started by myself)
serato.com
and
serato.com
Res-Q 11:56 PM - 30 June, 2020
+1
djbrettb 3:06 AM - 1 July, 2020
Serato, any update on this?
p45 7:30 AM - 1 July, 2020
+1
DJ Oxygenn 12:56 AM - 2 July, 2020
+1
DJ Oxygenn 1:00 AM - 2 July, 2020
C'est un vrai problème ce compte de nombre de play, il faut avoir le choix de pouvoir le désactiver. Cela s'enregistre sur le fichier et perturbe nos organisations.
Rob J 11:42 PM - 5 July, 2020
2.3.6 is now out. Please, Serato? Make Play Count a switchable option in the Serato settings?
Luca Monti 9:25 AM - 6 July, 2020
+1
NukeBox 2:43 PM - 6 July, 2020
+1
Marv Incredible 11:34 PM - 8 July, 2020
+1
AKIEM 4:33 PM - 10 July, 2020
hate this
djWormUp 12:17 PM - 9 August, 2020
+1
DJ LIL M 2:39 AM - 12 August, 2020
+1
DJ Fa2LA 3:34 PM - 13 August, 2020
You all may need to downgrade your SDJ version to avoid play count. Feel bad for the dudes with newer hardware who cannot. I'm running 2.1.1 and it's very stable with Mojave for me.

Would take a mind blowing feature to make me upgrade. Using time machine for backups the tagging is just a backup nightmare.
Res-Q 4:39 PM - 13 August, 2020
Lets hope someone at Serato is reading all these threads....
It is pourly implemented
Let us disable the playcount Serato
Rob J 12:54 AM - 16 August, 2020
Serato reps, as you can see, the Play Count feature, though long-awaited, is not being met with accolade across the board. I have no interest in moving to another platform, but can someone at least come in here and acknowledge that you are listening and if there is any consideration of changing Play Count to at least be a selectable item in the settings, or if there is no plans for this? Some kind of feedback, even if disappointing, would be greatly appreciated, please. Thank you in advance.
Dj L-Biz 11:12 AM - 18 August, 2020
I got to plus one this. I have recently had a couple of crashes (more than i have had in last 10 years or so using Serato ) and a few hangs and it seems to be when the unloading of tracks and the writing process occurs.

I have 2018 13" MBP which i hope should be plenty powerful, although my music is on and external ssd which no doubt doesn't help with the writing process.

+1
Dj JP Elias 12:18 PM - 19 August, 2020
Please Serato remove or make sure that the playcount no longer mixes up all the playlists that we take hours to make and put in order in our files. From this option I hesitate to switch to rekordbox but I have always liked more the Serato interface better but it causes me a big problem because there is no more order in my files now from the playcount.
STRyk 7:09 PM - 1 September, 2020
Please, Serato can you add a toggle on SETUP ?
Playcount : ON or OFF.
Thanks.
Rob J 5:56 PM - 8 September, 2020
Please Serato, since the upcoming 2.4 release is going to offer some important features, can you please consider the ability to shut off Play Count in the settings in this release as well?
Res-Q 8:04 PM - 8 September, 2020
monthly bump
STRyk 6:02 PM - 4 October, 2020
In my opinion, there is no hope.
The team doesn't read this subject.
:(
Serato is dead...
Rob J 11:03 PM - 4 October, 2020
Gotta believe that Serato is aware of this feature request. Here’s hoping!
cotdagoo 9:32 PM - 5 October, 2020
They refuse to even reply about playcount in the current beta forum.. and also have not done any fixes in the latest beta.

So clearly they had no plans to address any of these concerns that have been mentioned over and over since the release.

Keep sticking your head in the sand Serato devs/customer care reps..
Bang Ali 5:17 PM - 6 October, 2020
Please Serato, do something - you see that this is important to a lot of users and we are waiting soooooo long
Serato, Support
Jamie W 9:06 PM - 7 October, 2020
Hi All,

I apologise for the lack of response to this thread.
All your feedback has been noted. This may be something we update in a future release. However, thats all the information I have at the moment.

Kind Regards,
Jamie
AKIEM 9:40 PM - 7 October, 2020
Quote:
Hi All,

I apologise for the lack of response to this thread.
All your feedback has been noted. This may be something we update in a future release. However, thats all the information I have at the moment.

Kind Regards,
Jamie

terrible
(just my opinion)
Res-Q 2:25 PM - 8 October, 2020
As long as a member of the staff acknowledge that we are seen, even if not heard yet, it's good enough for me. Thank you Jamie
cotdagoo 1:13 AM - 10 October, 2020
Thanks Jamie, I wish this was on the roadmap for the last beta - just seems like this feature as it stands is "complete" in the eyes of Serato when there's pages and multiple topics with valid concerns and what seem like simple improvements. One being the ability to just turn it off and shut us all up until the feature can get some more love from developers.
AKIEM 4:40 PM - 11 October, 2020
Seratos moto should be 'when its done its done'. They seem to ignore the small tweaks and small long time simple request even if they would be huge problem solvers.
DJ John Barrow 12:55 AM - 19 October, 2020
Serato used to be a company that took feedback seriously. There were consistent improvements made to enhance the DJ experience, and accommodate the needs of the DJ community in order to develop the most comprehensive DJ software on the market. The key guys in support were Shaun and Zach... and you could dial a number and talk to them LIVE. They would help you fix any issue you had, and if they couldn't, the revision to software was generally weeks, if not days away until your issue was resolved in the very next version.

The steady improvements over the years were amazing, but now, it seems we have hit the road block where they turn a deaf ear to feature requests they feel "aren't popular enough". Code is code, and if play count can be written in, there is a code to switch it on and off for those who prefer it (like lock playing deck, show iTunes library or enabling the FX panel). But serving the community that supports them is no longer the narrative at Serato.

2006 was a long time ago.

Fast forward to 2020... there are multiple platforms that are owned by companies hungry to chomp away at the Serato fan base. Pioneer Rekordbox... Even Denon Prime now, coming up with HUGE innovations, and Denon is listening and supporting their base like Serato USED TO, but really should still be doing. It's what made Serato great.

So, i'm still stuck on 2.1.2 like most of you. And because of this, i'm missing out on newer hardware since I don't want to use a newer version of their software. Sooner or later though, i'll be ready for an upgrade. And as much as I'd love to stick with Serato, as they sometimes say if the shoe doesn't fit..
AKIEM 1:57 AM - 19 October, 2020
I dont understand why they dont see how much press, excitement and love they get from fixing the small long time requests.... oh well
Rob J 4:36 PM - 1 November, 2020
Let's go, Serato! People are sticking with 2.1.2 (me as well) and losing out on the newer features because of the Play Count feature. How about on the next update, please? It can't be hard to code Play Count as an option, and if it is, can someone confirm this?
Res-Q 4:49 PM - 9 November, 2020
monthly bump
DJ John Barrow 1:04 PM - 30 November, 2020
I actually got an email reply about a month ago, saying that this feature was on their radar. I think if we get more DJ's to make some noise about this, it may get done.
E Tha DJ 7:41 AM - 3 December, 2020
I have to agree with this feature request 100%.

I store my music files on an external USB hard drive (WD Elements) and when I mix very quickly I get serious lag waiting for the previously loaded file to finish writing metadata back to the drive before it loads in the new track.

I don't have that issue on my desktop as I have an SSD there but it does happen very often on the laptop that I use to play out with (specs: i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB internal HD).

I know it's the file writing because I can see the banner stating that (at the bottom) while I'm trying to load in the next song.

I would suggest having an on/off switch. When on, it writes real-time to the music files and when off, it temporarily stores that data in a database or flat file until Serato DJ is closed. I feel that would still allow the functionality but not cause the lag, most importantly, during a gig as some users have experienced. I can wait a few minutes after a show for the tags to write but I definitely can't wait while I'm at a gig loading and playing tracks quickly.
Res-Q 2:26 PM - 3 December, 2020
monthly bump
DJ Fa2LA 6:36 PM - 7 December, 2020
Couldn't all the club DJ's just use the blue "played track" feature. Reset before each gig and then you know what you haven't played. If this feature could be disabled or instead write to a separate system file like the V2 database that would be ideal.

Play count right now will cause a TON of unnecessary writing to my files and also make Time Machine think I've changed hundreds of MP3's on every single back up. Has to be a better way!

New mixers like the S11 look dope but aside from the $2K price tag updating Serato is a major negative IMO.
nik39 9:35 PM - 7 December, 2020
Quote:
If this feature could be disabled or instead write to a separate system file like the V2 database that would be ideal.

+1

Altering all of the files each time you play them, is really a bad decision.
All my video files get changed whenever I load them to a deck. Blowing up backups. Putting stress on my SSD, which can handle only a certain amount of writes. :(
AKIEM 12:47 AM - 8 December, 2020
sad
Rob J 5:39 AM - 8 December, 2020
Serato, it should be obvious by now that as desired as Play Count is for some, it isn’t implemented really well. The need to back up dozens, if not hundreds of rewritten tracks routinely isn’t ideal. I typically spin 50 to 60 tracks an event, and every one needs to be sent across three network backups. This is a far cry from just having 2 or 3 tracks to back up, if any at all, per session. This is why many (yes, many) DJs are holding back at 2.1.2 or earlier versions of Serato. Please consider revamping the entire scheme for accomplishing Play Count, and please make it a selectable feature in the Serato settings.
Res-Q 9:11 AM - 8 December, 2020
Quote:
Quote:
If this feature could be disabled or instead write to a separate system file like the V2 database that would be ideal.

+1

Altering all of the files each time you play them, is really a bad decision.
All my video files get changed whenever I load them to a deck. Blowing up backups. Putting stress on my SSD, which can handle only a certain amount of writes. :(

Tell em Anik!!!

Play count is a disaster. The worst thing ever.
I sincerely hope it is high up on Serato’s priority list of fixes.
Rob J 9:49 PM - 10 December, 2020
No changes in 2.4.3, now available. Maybe in 2.5.x? Maybe...?
Res-Q 10:11 PM - 10 December, 2020
it is rumored on february 31st
Rob J 1:27 AM - 12 December, 2020
Quote:
it is rumored on february 31st

I heard 30th...
Dj KoolBreeze 3:49 AM - 16 December, 2020
if your files are read only, u will never worry about play count ever. amongs other things. jus kidding. hope it gets to be optional though.
DJCarlos. 9:31 AM - 28 December, 2020
+1

Play count is nice, but the problem with the dates been modified is annoying.

Plus yes it will also be nice to be able to disable play count on preparation
nilre 9:36 AM - 28 December, 2020
Agreed, play count is a useful feature — but it should not be stored in the audio file. Store it in the Serato library database instead.
Res-Q 6:02 PM - 9 January, 2021
+1 BUMP
Can a mod merge these 2 threads ? Same request
serato.com
DJ Fa2LA 8:22 PM - 10 January, 2021
Solid idea, didn’t even see that thread. I wonder though, maybe the more threads the better...? Show their developers they need to find a new path. If a history file can be created why can’t they build off that and include a counter.

I am REALLY hoping they take notice. Seems like DJs who actually wanted the feature are not happy with its current setup either. Until then I stay 2.1.1
Rob J 3:00 AM - 28 January, 2021
With all the new upgrade compatibility for new mixers and controllers (example, the Rane One), users will have to use the newer Serato versions (above 2.1.2). Play Count as a selectable settings option would be a nice update. I understand it's in the "works," but it would be nice to have some renewed confirmation on this from a Serato rep, please.
DJ LIL M 4:11 AM - 28 January, 2021
can't be that hard to code in a on or off button.
DJ LUKE S 1:31 PM - 28 January, 2021
+1
Luca Monti 1:33 PM - 28 January, 2021
+1
DJ Alan-Lee 1:02 AM - 4 February, 2021
+1
Res-Q 3:12 AM - 15 February, 2021
Monthly Bump
Hard to believe this is still an issue
imo worst implemented feature ever in Serato
Luca Monti 7:53 AM - 15 February, 2021
+1
Baci 7:08 PM - 15 February, 2021
+1
DJ LUKE S 12:52 PM - 18 February, 2021
+1
Hanginon 3:43 PM - 18 February, 2021
Using the formula "one person = one request", to eliminate individual multiples, has anyone ever noticed a correlation between the number of requests for something, and Serato actually doing something about it?? While it's OK (and maybe even fashionable) to march to the beat a a different drum, it's NOT OK to have No drum and No beat.
Marv Incredible 1:01 PM - 27 February, 2021
ahh, come on now. Ever since play count came along I'm finding I can no longer 'quick load' tracks. With a fast enough computer, you / I used to be able to seamlessly load the next track 'on the 1'. Now, I get silence and a pause whilst SDJ writes tags to the previously loaded file before it will load the next track.

Sometimes it's only a slight delay but other times it's like a second or more. Either way, it's too much delay.

I love my Serato fam but every now and again the team get it spectacularly wrong and this is one of those occasions. This feels like a 'one step forward, two steps back' move. Please listen to your faithful users and put this right. Stop making us live with mediocrity.
AKIEM 8:25 PM - 4 March, 2021
so sad
DJ LIL M 10:46 PM - 4 March, 2021
If this was a couple of years ago this request would have been fix. The fact that Serato has become so successful. Small things like this doesn't matter as much to them anymore. Just like the echo out distortion effect thats been requested to be fix years ago but haven't.
AKIEM 1:12 AM - 5 March, 2021
not really even a small thing tho, works like a major bug
Res-Q 2:39 PM - 5 March, 2021
Most annoying feature ever. I curse whoever requested this feature.
Now we are stuck with a serato walking on 3 legs
DJ Fa2LA 7:03 PM - 5 March, 2021
Exactly who really even wanted this feature? If you know the software well enough you can access your history, or reset your "played tracks" highlight. I agree this is a MAJOR issue. Serato writing away to hard drives like a hamster on a wheel!

Does "protect library" block play count? I assume though it will also block any new cue points, loops, etc. Was curious seeing my Serato doesn't have play count and i never intend on updating.
_jeri_ 9:23 PM - 5 March, 2021
Quote:
Exactly who really even wanted this feature?
✋🏻 (and many more. search here in the forum.)

As an all-rounder, this feature is perfect for me. Besides, I have no problems with play count (MBP mid 2012, 10.15.7, Serato Dj Pro 2.4.5, ME 3.4.1, Pioneer DDJ-SZ).

In my opinion there are other things that are more important.
Uche720 7:21 PM - 6 March, 2021
I also badly need the ability to shut off the play count feature.

It makes sense that some like it, and I have no problem with that, but as you can see from this thread it causes real problems for some of us. I'm a software engineer and I certainly wouldn't have implemented this by changing the content of each file every time. That creates a huge problem for incremental backups, if nothing else. I guess a "touch" to reset the last modified state would address that issue, but it still seems an inefficient approach. Changing an extended attribute (which does not change lastmod) would be better. Writing to a separate DB would be even better.

But even if the lastmod issue were addressed there would still remain the issue of practice/prep sessions updating play count, which makes play count not very useful as a feature in the first place.

The most straightforward approach is just allowing (and making it easy for) the user to enable/disable the play count feature.

Thanks in advance.
AKIEM 8:51 PM - 6 March, 2021
^ +1
nik39 10:59 AM - 7 March, 2021
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly who really even wanted this feature?
✋🏻 (and many more. search here in the forum.)

As an all-rounder, this feature is perfect for me. Besides, I have no problems with play count (MBP mid 2012, 10.15.7, Serato Dj Pro 2.4.5, ME 3.4.1, Pioneer DDJ-SZ).

In my opinion there are other things that are more important.

This feature has been poorly implemented. Ignoring feedback during Public beta.
Marv Incredible 11:55 PM - 7 March, 2021
This
Quote:
the issue of practice/prep sessions updating play count, which makes play count not very useful as a feature in the first place.

Quote:
The most straightforward approach is just allowing (and making it easy for) the user to enable/disable the play count feature.

That. And 'Reset Play Count'
_jeri_ 12:51 AM - 8 March, 2021
Quote:
This feature has been poorly implemented. Ignoring feedback during Public beta.

My comment related to the statement who wanted play count and there were many. To be honest, I never looked closely at the technical background, but when play count is implemented so poorly, it has to be improved. Then I am with you.
Rob J 3:13 AM - 8 March, 2021
Some people like it. That’s okay. However, Play Count is inconveniencing a lot of people for a variety of reasons. Making it switchable in the settings would be the best solution.

Rewriting every track after loading/ejecting it is a resource hit for some people, and a backup nightmare for many, including me. I’m no coder, but it really doesn’t seem as though it would be very challenging to make Play Count be a selectable option in the Serato settings, or code in some other, effective solution.

It is extraordinarily surprising at the lack of attention and, at minimum, even a response from Serato reps on addressing this. ANY news or response would be pretty monumental at this point. I reverted to, and am still using, Serato DJ Pro 2.1.2, which came out in June of 2019. That’s nearly two years ago, and as of this post, 2.4.5 is out, with a 2.5.0 beta available, and there have been 19 OFFICIAL VERSION UPDATES SINCE 2.1.2, which is the last version before Play Count came out. This is poor support at best now. Serato, please say something? Anything? Even if it’s bad news? Anything?
cotdagoo 2:13 AM - 9 March, 2021
Serato is *REALLY* good at adding controller support.. features not so much it seems.

This was a total swing and a miss, and nothing has been done to correct the problems.

I would have loved play count if my 10+ years of play history was used to count plays, rather than starting from 0 the date the feature was added. I mean.. this was the only reason I wanted this feature, and I've wanted nothing but to disable it since it was released because it doesn't leverage my years of existing play history and was not the feature I envisioned.

Just let us turn it off, stop the needless writing to individual files and write play counts to the main database. Feature complete. Call it a day.
Res-Q 1:26 AM - 11 March, 2021
I wish people would post every day in this thread so it could get sticky'd on top of the requests....
... oh wait thats already the case :)
DJ John Barrow 1:35 PM - 2 April, 2021
This guy said it best... I too am stuck on 2.1.2 because of the lack of an ability to disable play count. I'll be buying new hardware soon so i'll need updated software. For the first time since 2004, i'm looking at competitor programs, because there are alot more to choose from now than back in 2004. Do I WANT to switch? No, but i'd rather be on a platform where my needs are falling on ears that will take my asks into consideration (Like Serato USED to do).

Quote:
Some people like it. That’s okay. However, Play Count is inconveniencing a lot of people for a variety of reasons. Making it switchable in the settings would be the best solution.

Rewriting every track after loading/ejecting it is a resource hit for some people, and a backup nightmare for many, including me. I’m no coder, but it really doesn’t seem as though it would be very challenging to make Play Count be a selectable option in the Serato settings, or code in some other, effective solution.

It is extraordinarily surprising at the lack of attention and, at minimum, even a response from Serato reps on addressing this. ANY news or response would be pretty monumental at this point. I reverted to, and am still using, Serato DJ Pro 2.1.2, which came out in June of 2019. That’s nearly two years ago, and as of this post, 2.4.5 is out, with a 2.5.0 beta available, and there have been 19 OFFICIAL VERSION UPDATES SINCE 2.1.2, which is the last version before Play Count came out. This is poor support at best now. Serato, please say something? Anything? Even if it’s bad news? Anything?
cotdagoo 4:45 PM - 3 April, 2021
What a sad state of affairs..
Res-Q 9:42 PM - 12 April, 2021
monthly bump
Serato, Support
Jamie W 9:57 PM - 12 April, 2021
Hey Guys,

I have been monitoring this thread and I can now let you know that we have just released Serato DJ Pro 2.5.5 BETA

This BETA version includes the ability to disable the Play Count feature.

You can access the beta here --> serato.com

If you have any feedback or come across any issues please report them in the BETA forum area and we will get back to you.

Thanks
Jamie :)
Rob J 10:14 PM - 12 April, 2021
Seriously??? I need to check it out now that 2.5 is an official release! Here’s hoping!!
Rob J 11:06 PM - 12 April, 2021
Jamie W, thank you. This is a step in the right direction. Play Count is now selectable under the 2.5.5.33 BETA version (in the Library + Display settings). I'll confirm that works just as described. When disabled, no more track rewrites no matter how many times you load the track and Play Count total does not increase. When enabled, Instant Doubles doesn't add to the count. Thank you so much for doing something about this issue - we have waited so long for ANY word. Hopefully it will be a successful implement in an official Serato release sooner rather than later!
Res-Q 11:40 PM - 12 April, 2021
OMG its celebration day! Round of Champagne for everyone!
DJ LIL M 3:10 AM - 13 April, 2021
i can't believe my eyes
Marv Incredible 3:43 AM - 13 April, 2021
YAY!! Thank you team Serato. <3
nik39 6:49 AM - 13 April, 2021
Quote:

;-D

Now can we have best of both worlds?

Just write the play count to the database file / crate files and don't touch the video / audio files.... :)
DJ John Barrow 11:32 AM - 13 April, 2021
This is amazing!! But I don't go live with Beta versions. So until it's committed to a final release, i'm not cutting the cake. :0
DJ Fa2LA 3:07 PM - 13 April, 2021
It looks like the development team has been BUSY! Check out all the "other changes" listed in the release notes. serato.com

Also stoked about being able to Ø play count, may download my first beta version!!
Rob J 6:26 PM - 13 April, 2021
I did a 2 hour livestream last night with the 2.5.5.33 beta and not a hitch. No tag writing and all was well. NS7II controller. Low CPU as always, occasionally utilizing PnT and other effects. Happy, but agree that beta versions should be avoided for the serious gigs. I did find that I had to re-log into Serato after installation of the beta on my laptop and desktop, and had to deactivate my laptop and desktop in my Serato account in order to get them to work again. Fortunately, it all came together with a re-logging in and no problems after.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 8:26 PM - 13 April, 2021
Glad to hear its working well for you Rob J :)

Quote:
YAY!! Thank you team Serato. <3

Thank you Marv Incredible!
Res-Q 11:20 PM - 14 April, 2021
Quote:
Quote:

;-D

Now can we have best of both worlds?

Just write the play count to the database file / crate files and don't touch the video / audio files.... :)

+1
cotdagoo 4:27 PM - 17 April, 2021
Really nice to see! Thanks for sticking with us Jamie!
Uche720 3:59 AM - 28 April, 2021
Quote:
…we have just released Serato DJ Pro 2.5.5 BETA

This BETA version includes the ability to disable the Play Count feature.

You can access the beta here --> serato.com

If you have any feedback or come across any issues please report them in the BETA forum area and we will get back to you.

This is awesome, Jamie!

All, I'd like to try this, but never installed a Serato DJ Pro beta before. Anyone know if I can just run the beta installer on Mac, and I presume it would create a different Application entry, so I can choose to launch one or the other. Note: I know better than to try to run two instances at once; I suspect that would not be healthy for my database. I'm comfortable on a technical level, but just want to make sure there are no big, well-known gotchas I might be missing.
Res-Q 9:31 PM - 28 April, 2021
You can have 2 serato installed on your Mac:

- 1- Rename your current serato in the applications folder to something like Serato_versionNumber.

- 2 - instal the beta
Uche720 1:25 AM - 1 May, 2021
Quote:
You can have 2 serato installed on your Mac:

- 1- Rename your current serato in the applications folder to something like Serato_versionNumber.

- 2 - instal the beta

Works perfectly.

1) Backup to Time Machine

2) Copy _Serato_ dir to external drive

3) Rename Serato app in Applications folder to "Serato 2.4.6"

4) Install beta PKG

5) Rename the newly added app "Serato 2.5.5 BETA"

I can switch between the two apps no problem.
DJ LIL M 9:44 PM - 24 May, 2021
The day has finally come
Rob J 12:20 AM - 25 May, 2021
Yessss! Can’t wait to get home and uninstall the beta and move to 2.5.5! Thank you, Serato!

- Rob J
DJ John Barrow 5:58 PM - 25 May, 2021
I never thought I would see the day. Thanks Serato!! (LATE... but better late than never)
Rob J 4:48 PM - 30 May, 2021
Just want to say another THANK YOU to Serato for the 2.5.5 release with this feature. It's great to finally be out of 2.1.2 from nearly two years ago. 2.5.5 is working great and it's great to finally have some of the other feature back (like Day Mode) and the optimizations to the software.

- Rob J
Luca Monti 8:13 PM - 31 May, 2021
Well done finally! You just made my day!
DJ-Giant 8:24 PM - 23 June, 2021
Same here. The wait was long but not lonely (all you guys wanted the same) but finally it's here. Now a tool to find in which crates a song resides and we're almost there :-)

grtz
Giant