Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Using the Rane MP2015 Rotary Mixer with Serato DJ

R-Dub 4:24 PM - 25 February, 2015
Will I just be able to plug the USB into the mixer and go?
Also will i be able to use the mixer with SSL without my SL4 box?
(using windows 8.1)
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:22 PM - 25 February, 2015
the mp2015 is capable of running serato but due to licensing a deal does not seem to have been struck yet so as of now its not working with serato but the possibility is there, right now its just a mixer with two sound cards built in

my guess is that Rane's target market for this mixer are audiofiles and does not see serato users at its main user base for this product there for decided to skip paying serato and the mixer will probably recieve serato support through this new club kit serato are talking about,

(my speculation is the relationship isn't what it once was with serato partnering with other companies greatly eating into Rane's profits, so rather then Rane paying upfront fee or cut of each sale to support the mixer they will wait to see if there is enough demand to justify giving serato it's cut)
R-Dub 10:59 PM - 25 February, 2015
hmm, excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of the sound cards?
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:40 PM - 25 February, 2015
I guess some one at Rane would have to chime in and answer that,

my guess is if there is enough demand it will get serato support but currently its just a mixer with two soundcards, its certainly designed with a sl4 inside from the looks of things but to me all is not as rosy as it seems in the Rane/Serato world no matter what any of the reps say,

i do like to speculate and i reckon Serato intended to interduce other hardware manafactors under the scratch live software and Rane said hell no we built up this brand and don;t want it's rep soiled by sub par hardware ultimately reflecting back on ranes hardware,

so itch was interduced to get around this but the probllem with itch is its just a clone of ssl's code rebadged so thats why serato had to develop serato dj,

and the top brass at Rane cant be too happy either they had the serato market cornered, dvs sales and mixer sales are slacking and Rane really need to get into the controller game if you ask me, if they would have interduced a rane controller it would sell pretty well i'm guessing compared to this over priced rotary mixer with two sound cards but no native sdj support, the 57mk2 released too late it should have dropped instead of the 61,
and if they think there is a huge demand for rotary they should have released a rorary kit for the 64 and 68 and if demand is high drop the mp2015
musiclee 11:43 PM - 25 February, 2015
Unless you want to have sound only coming from headphones.

The sound card in mixer would then goto your powered speakers or club sound system

I have the Rane Mp25. It has a sound card as well.
The outs goto my EQ. Then my BBE sonic maximizer then my powered speakers.

BUT first the sound comes from my Rane SL-3 to Rane MP 25

It sux I need the SL3 to open Serato.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:51 PM - 25 February, 2015
You know thats not what the soundcard in your mp25 is doing,

the soundcard is there to connect it to a device via usb nothing to do with the send/return you seem to be using to route the signal to your EQ

unless i've been drinking too much and havent a clue what I'm talking
R-Dub 1:00 AM - 26 February, 2015
You use the USBs as master outs ??? what?
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:04 AM - 26 February, 2015
Lee just doesn't know what he's talking about,

by the sounds of it his is using the master outs into eq's and by doing this he thinks he is using the built in sound card,
deejdave 1:19 AM - 26 February, 2015
There are a few things going on here but I will try to add a bit more without trying to confuse anyone. While it is theoretically possible to accomplish what musiclee is saying as far as I know (from previous conversations with him) he does not himself do it. You can however use a sound card OTHER than the Native Serato DJ sound card (whether it be an interface, mixer or controller) as your aggregate device. In other words you can essentially have the music come out of your built in computer speakers, headphones or even an alternate sound card of your choice using this method support.serato.com.

NOW that being said I think DJ Sparky is correct in that musiclee (as far as I can remember) does not do this. Few things to keep in mind here. This is ALL allegedly as I have NOT tried this myself. This IS considered a hack but I would call it a safe hack as it was pointed out to me by a Serato employee. I know the link I provided only mentions the built in speakers but as seen here serato.com it applies to any sound card you choose. A reminder that you MUST still have a native SDJ interface to unlock the software and this will probably be the case forever aside from the club kit devices. That being said it SHOULD work with the MP2015 (which is NOT native to SDJ which again DJ Sparky was correct about) and should work with musiclee's MP25 which he loves so dearly LOL so your welcome musiclee.

I am not trying to act like a know-it-all here but not for nothing I just recently found this out and not for nothing this was pretty f'ing HUGE news to me. Lastly ONE more thing to keep in mind here. As most things with SDJ this ONLY works with Macs.

If anyone attempts this on their own please Please PLEASE report back here as I am dying to hear some results.
R-Dub 10:46 PM - 4 March, 2015
Rane states that the 2 USB ports on theback of the MP2015 are so that DJs can handle off to the next DJ seamlessly. Sounds an awful lot like a SL4 box to me. Seeing how Rane makes the SL4 box it makes sense that they just incoporated it into the mixer.
Mr. Goodkat 11:44 PM - 4 March, 2015
would be cool minus the soundcards for 1000-1200$ usd.
deejdave 3:40 AM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
Rane states that the 2 USB ports on theback of the MP2015 are so that DJs can handle off to the next DJ seamlessly. Sounds an awful lot like a SL4 box to me. Seeing how Rane makes the SL4 box it makes sense that they just incoporated it into the mixer.

Just a heads up this is not different than most current Rane mixers in that most have dual sound cards for this purpose. Trust that it is not a question of whether it can be done nor is it a question of logistics on the dual sound cards or any other feature. It is simply licensing and finances.
raedonquan 10:59 AM - 7 March, 2015
look at what the mp2015 is gear to.... rotary knob dj's like joe clausell and mr vega.... most of those guys use wave files for their music. there not tied to software. most rotary dj's love soundquality and that the reason they still use a urei and a bozak.

the mp2015 does not want to be tied to anything its not traktor certified but you can probably map traktor to it and also mix vibes, vdj.

since pioneer is using serato as there main " software partner's" and there are millions of djm 850 and 900 nexus players.... pioneer gave serato some access on how the internal soundcard workings are in those mixers and low and behold we have a serato club kit so you can use a djm 80 or 900 nexus without an sl box...

once the mp2015 becomes a sucessfull mixer in the clubs and most touring dj's want them in their riders , and more request for the club kit to be part of the mp2015 it will most likley happen. i hope so if not i will buy an sl box and use the mp 2015
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:44 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
since pioneer is using serato as there main " software partner's" and there are millions of djm 850 and 900 nexus players.... pioneer gave serato some access on how the internal soundcard workings are in those mixers and low and behold we have a serato club kit so you can use a djm 80 or 900 nexus without an sl box...

i beg to differ, it's a money making oppertunity, I bet serato reached out to most manafactors thats hardware could support sdj to see if they would be intrested in paying to allow sdj to work, i'm guessing 50-70% of the cost of the club kit goes to the manafactor of the mixer i.e. A&H and pioneer and then serato get the sale of a sdj license so its a win win for both companies, there is no special requirements once the unit has a soundcard it's compatible its just serato that limits them from working,
Mr. Goodkat 10:29 PM - 7 March, 2015
Quote:
look at what the mp2015 is gear to.... rotary knob dj's like joe clausell and mr vega.... most of those guys use wave files for their music. there not tied to software. most rotary dj's love soundquality and that the reason they still use a urei and a bozak.

the mp2015 does not want to be tied to anything its not traktor certified but you can probably map traktor to it and also mix vibes, vdj.

once the mp2015 becomes a sucessfull mixer in the clubs and most touring dj's want them in their riders , and more request for the club kit to be part of the mp2015 it will most likley happen. i hope so if not i will buy an sl box and use the mp 2015

theres no 'mapping' for traktor or mix vibes they use any sound card.

the 2 sound card thing is pointless for serato users that would have to use a serato box as well.
Mr. Mac 1:51 AM - 8 May, 2015
Quote:

Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but SDJ is fully compatible with uncompressed high-resolution audio files (AIFF/WAV) and there are many Serato DJs (self included) who use these files exclusively because they/we care a great deal about sound quality. Oh, and we regularly use SDJ with rotary mixers as well.
R-Dub 2:06 AM - 8 May, 2015
^^^ same here i use sdj with E&S DJR400 rotary mixer. i think rane is trying
to get the best of both worlds in this new mixer.
Mr. Mac 2:15 AM - 8 May, 2015
Quote:
^^^ same here i use sdj with E&S DJR400 rotary mixer. i think rane is trying
to get the best of both worlds in this new mixer.

Well as soon as if/when Rane and Serato get the MP2015 SDJ compatible via Club Kit it will be best of both worlds. Till then it's just another mixer we need to use an external SDJ-approved soundcard with (i.e.: SL2/3/4), not to mention add a lot of extra/unnecessary D/A > A/D conversion to the signal chain, which of course potentially degrades sound quality. Oh, and all the extra hassles of wiring it all up vs simply plugging USBs directly from computer(s) to MP2015.
Mr. Mac 2:16 AM - 8 May, 2015
PS: Great mixer the DJR400 is. Kudos.
Frozone 6:54 PM - 8 May, 2015
I thought I read some where the Rane 2015 is Traktor certified. JS

dj.rane.com
Mr. Mac 6:55 PM - 8 May, 2015
Quote:
I thought I read some where the Rane 2015 is Traktor certified. JS

dj.rane.com

It is. It's just not Serato certified :-(
Danny_DJ 2:47 PM - 14 June, 2015
tl; dr: please give us Serato certification because there is not any reasonable argument against it but a lot for it.

As you can see, we aren't a single customer but a whole bunch of us.

1st of all, I am a loyal Rane and Serato User since a decade.
Had: SL1
Have: SL3, Empath, Vestax VCI 380.
Did: Bring many friends to the Rane/Serato user base.
Plan to: Get a damn expensive MP2015 for use w/ SDJ. It is very next to the mixer of my dreams that I concepted 8 years ago. 4 channels, flexbile routing, very user friendly layout, stellar build quality and neutral sound.
And I still plan to keep all my existing gear for different mobile applications.

BUT:
Having a highly potential, sleek digital powerhouse but the need for 2 conversions by using an extra SL box makes no sense at all. Especially in the context of existing 61, 62, 64 and 68 mixers.

It cost space. It costs cables. It costs quality. It costs installation effort. It costs more money than a club kit for new SDJ users.

What would make me happy would be a certifed MP2015 that just takes me just a power, USB, and S/PDIF cord to set up for operation w/ my PC and sound system.

Rane and Serato, you have always been loved for open ears towards your customers, constant innovation and usability improvements. This next step is nothing but sensible.

Thank you.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:29 AM - 15 June, 2015
Hi all,

Please remember that most of the theories in this thread are just that - theories. Lots of wild speculation here ;)

In regards to MP2015 support, this mixer was designed by Rane for multiple software platforms and was not designed with input from Serato. We are currently working together on what support for the MP2015 could be.

Cheers,
Michael.
WarpNote 7:17 AM - 1 July, 2015
Adding myself to the ones hoping for Rane 2015 club kit support :)
www.flickr.com
HARO 12:38 PM - 5 August, 2015
Please add native Serato DJ support to Rane MP2015 (ASAP).
HARO 12:36 PM - 10 August, 2015
Thank you very much Serato and Rane for getting SDJ support done on MP2015. The World's finest production mixer can now be used with the World's finest DJ software without any unnecessary hardware. Happy mixing everyone!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 7:33 PM - 10 August, 2015
Enjoy team!!
Danny_DJ 11:04 PM - 12 August, 2015
Yay!

One question: In order to use it w/ Turntables, you say I have to buy the DVS expansion pack. But what about me as an already SL3 and VCI 380 owner?

1. Do I have any license for the 2015 yet?
2. And if so: will it work without the SL3 or VCI connected to my computer at the time I want to play on the 2015?
raedonquan 11:10 PM - 12 August, 2015
Plan and simple you need to buy the club kit.

Your vci380 is the dongle that opens the software..and the same with the sl box..

Rane created the 2015 on their own...serato wasn't there when they developed it.
Mr. Goodkat 11:24 PM - 12 August, 2015
wonder what the sound difference is between a sl3/4 and club kit.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:24 PM - 12 August, 2015
Hey Danny_DJ,

You will need to purchase a license to use this hardware. You could always just connect your SL 3 like a regular mixer though - that way you don't have to purchase anything as your interface is your Serato DJ device.

Sam.
Danny_DJ 11:34 PM - 12 August, 2015
Hey Sam,
I know that I'd be able to use the SL3 but this gives me extra devices to hook up and unnecessary DA-AD-conversions. Which upgrade will I need? The DVS? (= both software and hardware compatibility)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:35 PM - 12 August, 2015
You'll need the Club Kit bundle (Serato DJ + DVS) license to use the Rane MP2015 with Serato DJ.

sam.
Danny_DJ 11:54 PM - 12 August, 2015
One more question: When I have the club kit for the 2015: Is it possible to hook up a VCI 380 via USB simultaneously to have a third and fourth deck's play controls (play, pause, pitch, scratching, cues…) besides two TTs running into the 2015? The audio signal of CH 3 and 4 should run through USB directly from the PC to the 2015, the VCI is just a MIDI controller w/o configuration needed.
raedonquan 12:42 AM - 13 August, 2015
Only one device can be software opened. ..sdj will kind have to fight on which sound card to operate.. there is no window or box to select which device to use when 2 sdj devices are being used at the same time

But u have seen twitch with the v7 running... but not running smoothly...

You can try it out to see it it works together
deejdave 12:43 AM - 13 August, 2015
Only one SDJ interface supported at any given time.
deejdave 12:43 AM - 13 August, 2015
Quote:
Only one device can be software opened. ..sdj will kind have to fight on which sound card to operate.. there is no window or box to select which device to use when 2 sdj devices are being used at the same time

But u have seen twitch with the v7 running... but not running smoothly...

You can try it out to see it it works together

LOL yeah that
DJ123 7:23 PM - 4 March, 2016
am thinking of purchasig the rane mp2014 or 2015 I have serrate sl 2 box i have the rane ttm57 and pioneer ddjsx2 do i still have to purchase license kit for the rane mp2015 or 2014 ?
Mr. Goodkat 7:31 PM - 4 March, 2016
yes
DJ123 7:41 PM - 4 March, 2016
ty lol i thought so i can't catch a break more money more money, it would be nice once you buy serato you don't have to buy it again, I wonder if i wait maybe rane will sell the mixer with serrato in the next 12 months or the will have an upgraded mixer with it
Konix 9:12 PM - 4 March, 2016
Just a warning the MP2014 doesn't have ClubKit DVS support with Serato DJ, only the MP2015.
Mr. Goodkat 4:30 PM - 5 March, 2016
interesting less and less serato support from rane and pioneer.
DJ123 4:33 PM - 5 March, 2016
well I hope the get the club kit for the mp2014 the stores start selling them mon
deejdave 5:21 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
interesting less and less serato support from rane and pioneer.

Am I missing something?
The MP-2014 will probably get club kit treatment just as the MP-2015 did meaning EVERY device Rane makes supports Serato.
dj.rane.com

As far as I know there are only two current controllers made by Pioneer that do NOT support Serato and with the Club Kit there are more Pio mixers currently supported then ever before and I can only guess there are plenty more to come.

What makes you think there is less and less support from Rane or Pioneer. What other thing could possibly be supported by Rane aside from the 2014 which has yet to be released and again will most likely be supported.

No insult intended just confused is all :)
Mr. Goodkat 7:58 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
As far as I know there are only two current controllers made by Pioneer that do NOT support Serato and with the Club Kit

2 more than ever before. 900 nxs 2 doesnt support hid in serato either does it?
Konix 8:57 PM - 5 March, 2016
MP2015 announced January 2015, went on sale February 2015, ClubKit support didn't come until 6 months later in August 2015. Give it time. The MP2015/2014 wasn't built in collaboration with Serato.
deejdave 9:27 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
2 more than ever before. 900 nxs 2 doesnt support hid in serato either does it?

This would be impossible. The 900NXS2 is a mixer and does not have anything to do with HID.

DJM-900SRT was the only Pioneer mixer supported by Serato as of two years ago. All within the last year they have quadrupled the amount of support by adding three others.
serato.com And the

I can think of TWO controllers made by Pioneer that are NOT supported by Serato out of ALL their current controllers www.pioneerdj.com

Again EVERY device offered by Rane supports Serato with the exception of the 2014 which will no doubt offer the support in time dj.rane.com meaning there is literally nothing more they could add support to if they wanted to.

If anything I would say it is pretty clear that Rane and Pioneer have a SOLID relationship with Serato thus far but I am curious to see how things pan out now that Rekordbox DJ has been released.

Quote:
MP2015 announced January 2015, went on sale February 2015, ClubKit support didn't come until 6 months later in August 2015. Give it time. The MP2015/2014 wasn't built in collaboration with Serato.

Exactly. There is no doubt the 900NXS2 WILL be supported as well. What am I missing here?
deejdave 9:36 PM - 5 March, 2016
BTW if you were referring to the CDJ-2000NXS2 I would have to assume it will be supported in time as well otherwise it would literally be the first high end Pioneer CDJ to not be supported by Serato ever right?
nkldime70 11:36 PM - 5 March, 2016
I am putting my vote in serato support for the rane mp2014.
Mr. Goodkat 2:55 AM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
BTW if you were referring to the CDJ-2000NXS2 I would have to assume it will be supported in time as well otherwise it would literally be the first high end Pioneer CDJ to not be supported by Serato ever right?

thats what i meant. i was just wondering if it was a timing thing or a inclusive thing. of course it could take time, but it seems if it was a priority to help serato users, then they would have had a bit more collaboration, but maybe not.

sheer speculation, as the forum says, but i still think pioneer is gonna start to circle the wagons and make people choose. but maybe not.

if i was gonna put the finishing move on (personally i liked the stone cold stunner or the Claw), this is the time to start setting it up.
deejdave 6:48 AM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
sheer speculation, as the forum says, but i still think pioneer is gonna start to circle the wagons and make people choose. but maybe not.

Def could happen for sure. What better way to ensure your software's success than by exploiting your hardware's success. Man I hope this doesn't happen but it is not far fetched at all IMO.
deejdave 6:50 AM - 6 March, 2016
Also I hope they don't make us wait as long as they did with the original Nexus's. I purchased the CDJ-2000Nexus's and assumed that Serato would support them..................... OVER a year went by with nothing and they literally drove me into Traktor's arms.
DJ123 4:38 PM - 8 March, 2016
I always thought rane and serrate work together I guess I was wrong, I see rane have the mp2014 in stores they have them on eBay for sale already, so i guess il wait to see what happen I didn't want to spend the extra money for the mp2015, I guess i can hook up my old serrate sl 2 box to the mp2014 if i get it to use with scratch live
deejdave 7:32 PM - 8 March, 2016
Quote:
I always thought rane and serrate work together I guess I was wrong,

This exclusive partnership was with Scratch Live.
Quote:
so i guess il wait to see what happen I didn't want to spend the extra money for the mp2015,

I wouldn't worry too much. No guarantees but let's be honest the chances of Rane not adding Serato support are slim to none.
HARO 11:22 PM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I always thought rane and serrate work together I guess I was wrong,

This exclusive partnership was with Scratch Live.
Quote:
so i guess il wait to see what happen I didn't want to spend the extra money for the mp2015,

I wouldn't worry too much. No guarantees but let's be honest the chances of Rane not adding Serato support are slim to none.

My understanding is that it's up to Serato to add Club Kit support to MP2014, not Rane.

MP2014s are starting to turn up in the wild now and Serato users are needing Club Kit support for it pronto.
deejdave 8:57 PM - 13 March, 2016
Serato could add support to any device they wish but Serato does things the right way and it is always a mutual decision.
HARO 7:12 PM - 14 March, 2016
Quote:
Serato could add support to any device they wish but Serato does things the right way and it is always a mutual decision.

Curious, how is it anyone but Serato's decision to add support?
deejdave 8:47 PM - 14 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Curious, how is it anyone but Serato's decision to add support?

You can do without the blessing of the hardware developer but you do so without any help with future support whether it be drivers or functions of certain features etc.

Similar to even Stems as we speak. There are software developers who have released versions of the software that supports stems meanwhile N.I. has yet to even release the SDJ thus the reason not one single software is an official partner. www.stems-music.com

There is a difference between doing something (VDJ) and doing something right (Serato)

As an example Serato may choose to support any given device at their own discretion and three weeks later the hardware developer releases a firmware update that breaks the function. Because there was no agreement or even permission given the hardware developer is not obligated to work with the to correct this nor were they obligated to give them even a slight heads up on how to fix.

You may or may have noticed Pioneer has JUST gotten into the SW game (for real) and doing things behind their back when they fully control the top tier hardware for your platform may NOT be the wisest desiccation at this point.

Lastly Pioneer confirming they are in talks for the support of the New NXS2 hardware should be proof enough that this IS the way things ARE being handled. Again not something that would ever be an issue over at VDJ (EG Numark NV screens) but that is not how Serato does things.
HARO 9:03 PM - 14 March, 2016
Ah, got it now. Thanks. Believe I understand what you meant know. Serato can support on their own, but without mutual support things can go wrong in future if/when anything changes on either side.

Regarding Pioneer software (RBDJ), yes I'm aware. Also becoming painfully aware of all the compatibility problems using Serato with new Pioneer equipment that for all practical purposes is/becoming pretty much industry standard (CDJ-2000NXS2 + DJM-900NXS2). The ability to rewire gear to use timecode is becoming less and less as many venues aren't allowing it anymore for obvious reasons. So basically us Serato users are SOL when we arrive at gigs that have NXS2 equipment. Not good, and explains why nearly every Serato user I talk to lately has voiced that they are reluctantly needing to leave Serato and go with Rekordbox DJ so they can continue working in field without fear of incompatibility.
deejdave 10:05 PM - 14 March, 2016
Oh trust me even if this takes EVERY ounce of effort from EVERY Serato emplyee for everyday/night until then this NEEDS to happen and on a highest priority level. The caliber of this gear warrants the attention and the standard placement/use of this gear solidifies the need of a solid marriage between the two. Even if Pioneer and Serato themselves decide to distance themselves from a business/marketing standpoint I believe they can both benefit greatly by having mutual support XW>HW & HW>SW for the top tier hardware at the very least...................... just my two cents.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:58 AM - 15 March, 2016
i'm hoping Serato will support the NXS2 like recordbox i.e one USB lead to mixer then cat5 to the cdjs. at least from how i have read it this is how it works in rekordbox for hid mode??? maybe you guys can confirm that for me?
deejdave 5:28 PM - 15 March, 2016
Yes then combine the sp1 on the chain via usb to the player as well!!
DJ123 2:48 PM - 9 April, 2016
I hope the rane mp2014 get the club kit available soon, what else can you use the usb ports for ?
Mr. Goodkat 3:05 PM - 9 April, 2016
Quote:
I hope the rane mp2014 get the club kit available soon, what else can you use the usb ports for ?

most people just use them as phone chargers.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:26 PM - 9 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Wrong as they are usb-b not usb-a
deejdave 8:20 PM - 9 April, 2016
Quote:

Other software that allows generic USB and soundcards.
boabmatic 1:46 PM - 12 April, 2016
routing Ableton through the mixer?
WarpNote 3:30 PM - 12 April, 2016
Ableton, Traktor, VDJ, most DAW's?
deejdave 8:09 PM - 12 April, 2016
Oh we goin specific? LOL
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:13 PM - 12 April, 2016
Firmware updates 😜
WarpNote 9:11 PM - 12 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Just gave me a great idea for what to do with the cdj, lol :)
DJ123 8:10 PM - 29 April, 2016
I returned the rane mp2014 and got the race mp2015 and luv it with the serato dj the best ting since slice bread
DJ123 6:59 PM - 20 May, 2016
? about the serrate club kit for the rane mp2015 how many laptops can i use for the club kit ?
WarpNote 2:30 PM - 22 May, 2016
I believe you can have it installed on 2 separate machines, regardless of what equipment you use with the club kit.
Dave The One 2:27 AM - 31 May, 2016
Jist bought the Rane mp 2015.

I have a question, can't seem to find much info anywhere.

How can I set up serato with the mp 2015 for post fader effects? Is it even possible?

I have the numark ns7III it seems to be automatic as I didn't have to do anything to set it up. I can echo out of a track easily using the standard isotope echo effect.

Perhaps I'm missing something or wondering if it's possible to do the same with the mp 2015.

Best regards

Dave
WarpNote 12:53 PM - 31 May, 2016
Quote:
How can I set up serato with the mp 2015 for post fader effects? Is it even possible?

www.facebook.com
Dave The One 1:02 PM - 31 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.facebook.com

Thanks but I'm interested in serting up for Serato: that link you sent explained for Traktor.
Dave The One 10:46 PM - 31 May, 2016
Spoke to Rane Corporation today.

The tech support person said that they weren't sure if Serato enabled this feature. Was told they would call Serato and get back to me.

Do I have to open a support ticket for Serwto to answer? Or do they answer on these forums?
WarpNote 3:42 AM - 1 June, 2016
You should open a ticket.
Dave The One 3:57 AM - 1 June, 2016
Quote:
You should open a ticket.

Thanks
I did just that during Seratos hours of operation and have yet to hear back from Serato or Rane.

I got the "someone will get back to you" email from serato, nothing after that.
Dave The One 12:50 AM - 2 June, 2016
Sounds like everyone is passing the buck.
I was contacted officially by serato and was told:

"Unfortunately the Rane MP 2015 does not support post fader Serato effects.

To implement this feature it (if it is even possible on a rotary mixer) would take a lot of work from our end as well as updated firmware supplied by Rane. I'm sorry but there is a extremely slim chance the MP2015 will ever have Post fader effects"

So Native Instruments has it working as seen in the above post.

They have the feature working with every other Rane mixer but not the MP 2015.

I also find it strange that none of the reputable sites that reviewed the Rane MP 2015 bothered to mention this feature.

Anyway there it is ladies and gentlemen. For anyone looking to buy this mixer, Rane says Serato has to enable the feature and Serato says the Rane mp 2015 does not support post fader effects. That isnt entirely true. Because it supports post fader effects with Traktor as seen above. Serato further states that it will take tremendous work on their end (although rotary faders are no different than the regular faders on the other Rane mixers that are supported). And that the chances of it ever being implemented is slim.
Mr. Goodkat 3:01 AM - 2 June, 2016
from what most can tell, serato and rane seem to be done.

who knows maybe rane is out on software solutions all together after this El Cap debacle.

mixers are their bread and butter anyway.

that 2015 is so dope and you're really only missing out on SDJ, as you could get an sl3 or use traktor.
Dave The One 4:02 AM - 2 June, 2016
There's no question Rane and Serato are done. After speaking with them both and getting the responses I got I rhink I'm done with both myself. Gonna strictly go pioneer cdj 2000 nxa2 and their competing software.

On the Rane side; they better hope I don't post a review (it'll be late but the review would leave this mixer dead in the water) the past few days and in particular last 2 hours I spent testing/playing left me very disappointed.

Djtechtools, digitaldjtips, dj city uk, dj booth.net. I love those websites but they missed MAJOR points/flaws with this mixer. There's no way that this mixer was properly tested and reviewed. Djcity did make a good point about one issue at the top end of the led's in regards to headroom.
The rotaries? Not so dope Mr. Goodkat. Either none of them ever used a rotary mixer before or something terrible is in the air. My personal unit along with one from turntable lab and one from bh photo all tested. Trust me there's absolutely issues with quality and construction.

There's a strong possibility I might get stuck with this mixer. It's going to hurt on principle alone more than my pockets. However, even if Serato magically made the post fader fx work I cannot live with this mixer.

I'm not speaking out of anger or malice. This is 30 years of experience with countless mixers from the original Bozack and Urei 1620 through the Rane 2016 up to the 2015.
dibb 9:13 AM - 2 June, 2016
Man, that's something. Indeed a grand oversight of all reviewers, having missed the lack of post fader effects.

I've been wanting the 2015 since it was introduced, but here in Europe it's just too expensive (for me at least).

Then came the 2014 and I really thought that would be my dream mixer, only to learn very recently that Serato has no plans to support it: serato.com

I do wonder what other issues the 2015 has with quality and construction. I've tested it once (briefly) and didn't notice any quality issues.
soul63 9:32 AM - 2 June, 2016
those review sites are hardly going to point out the bad faults..they wont get no more gear..lol..then they wont have a site to sell their dj lessons or leads. caps.etc..plus they may not even have the hardware for long..though in the case of the amx..that fault is there from connection..and wiggling the filter knob rectifies the volume issue..they couldnt have missed that..lol..its all about buisness
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:04 AM - 2 June, 2016
Maybe as there is no faders it slipped there minds haha post rotary 😂 These mixers though are not going tobe very popular for people using laptop with SDJ. So i should say with the very low up take it's not worth serato spending anymore time on. Much bigger issues in SDJ that could be added that alot more people ask for like for say "Day Mode" id rather they bought day mode than add post rotary fx and mp2014 support. And i guess so would many other peopel.
raedonquan 3:46 PM - 2 June, 2016
post fader on a rotary? and you used a urei/ bozak ... i dont get it..

i thought rotary users cared for the sound quailty and the no bells and whistles... just play the music
raedonquan 3:54 PM - 2 June, 2016
opps forgive me im wrong you can get post on rotary....
(not a real rotary but a rotary kit on a djm900nexus)
Mr. Goodkat 5:22 PM - 2 June, 2016
Quote:
The rotaries? Not so dope Mr. Goodkat. Either none of them ever used a rotary mixer before or something terrible is in the air. My personal unit along with one from turntable lab and one from bh photo all tested. Trust me there's absolutely issues with quality and construction.

that sucks man. oh well, now i know not to shell out for that mixer and if i do get a rotary ill choose a e&s or a condesa.
Konix 6:43 PM - 2 June, 2016
To be fair, my video showing post fader effects with Traktor, it isn't really true post fader, er post rotary, just some nifty routing since Traktor let's us specify the ins/outs for the FX.
phatbob 7:43 PM - 2 June, 2016
We didn't actually review the 2015 on DJcity, but no other Club Kit mixer has post fader FX with SDJ, so I wouldn't even consider it worthy of mention if I did.

Traktor's routing options are far more flexbile than SDJ's, so you can make it work with lots more kit. But with SDJ you're talking about dedicated USB inserts and stuff, which would have to be worked on by Serato and Rane in much detail. And that's not what Club Kit compatibility involves.
Dave The One 8:13 PM - 2 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

that sucks man. oh well, now i know not to shell out for that mixer and if i do get a rotary ill choose a e&s or a condesa.

I'm sorry, was it the 2014 you reviewed? (@dj city) and mentioned the 2015 being the bigger brother? Might have confused with mojaxx who also does reviews for DJ city tv)

Anyone looking to purchase this mixer please go somewhere to test. In regards to the rotaries:
There's a jump from the full off rotary going from 0 to 1, and when fading from 1-0 volume position. It suddenly starts playing or suddenly goes from low volume to abrupt off. This happened on all 4 channels across the three mixers I tested (including my own) and curiously the submix channel doesn't have this issue. If you route any of the channels to the sub channel and fade out using the submix pot/rotary it fades beautifully.
There's no way they mixer will make it into a respectable club with this mixer on its current state.

The pots/rotaries are raised a bit too much, there's a lot of space between the pots and the mixer.

If you have ever used the urei 1620 the pots leave no room for harmful air or dust to enter. Great build/construction and good tension on the pots.

The LED meters are another big issue, one of the three reviewers I mentioned covered that issue nicely in regards to peaking and headroom.

The rotary issue is unforgivable,

Thankfully I'm not losing a penny, this mixer is history. Another thing, Paying for serato DJ club kit after paying so much for this mixer was insulting. I have no complaints with the ns7 III.
It's actually very well built and I prefer it over the pioneer controllers; and I didn't feel cheated, plug and play with serato DJ, no extra out of pocket cost.

Advertising support for the mp 2015, you should mention in the video that post fader effects do not work. This mixer is not fully supported.

I hope this helps many of you looking to purchase this mixer.
Mr. Goodkat 9:29 PM - 2 June, 2016
Quote:
Paying for serato DJ club kit after paying so much for this mixer was insulting

thought the same thing.
Konix 3:09 PM - 3 June, 2016
Yes, but unlike most of the other current Rane mixers, the MP2015 (and by extension, the MP2014) was not made in collaboration between Rane and Serato. In fact, originally Rane had no intention of making it Serato DJ compatible.

Yes, I know it sucks to drop $2000-2500 on a mixer, then have to pay more for Club Kit, but it's no different than buying the DJM-900Nexus, or the Allen & Heath DB4, and wanting Club Kit. It just with Rane and Serato's prior history, everyone thinks every Rane mixer is and should be Serato DJ supported.

In fact, I'd be more pissed if I'd bought a DJM-900SRT, then come to find out a few months later, Serato introduces Club Kit support for the regular DJM-900Nexus and other "non-Serato" mixers.
HARO 3:15 PM - 3 June, 2016
I'd just be happy if Serato Club Kit worked with MP2014. What elegant system that would be for those who want a simple 2-channel DVS without external interface nonsense.

Also, now that CDJ-2000NSX2 and DJM-900NXS2 are showing up everywhere at events and venues, Serato Club Kit won't work with them either so many of us are now unfortunately having to ditch Serato DJ all together because of all the incapability at every turn lately it seems.
Mr. Goodkat 4:54 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
In fact, I'd be more pissed if I'd bought a DJM-900SRT, then come to find out a few months later, Serato introduces Club Kit support for the regular DJM-900Nexus and other "non-Serato" mixers.

to me, i was happy to have the srt since it was native SDJ(never had any problems), because im never going to use traktor and we all know os upgrade or just using SDJ with a club kit could get weird at any time i.e. maybe it doesnt recognize or show up for whatever reason. im not saying it did or would, but at this point(and by the time the club kit came out, i just dont trust serato to not mess something up

even though the SRT were very small upgrades (phono inputs, efx sync and the fader box) I still would have been meh about paying an upgrade fee for any of those top end mixers.

i think you are right about the serato/rane expectations and why people thought it was just going to be plug and play. Since the relationship(serato/rane) has been murky at best for the average joe or people that really dont wanna keep up with the latest serato/dj news most thought it was just how that relationship rolled. It would have been nice if serato and rane had been more upfront about that.
Dave The One 5:14 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

to me, i was happy to have the srt since it was native SDJ(never had any problems), because im never going to use traktor and we all know os upgrade or just using SDJ with a club kit could get weird at any time i.e. maybe it doesnt recognize or show up for whatever reason. im not saying it did or would, but at this point(and by the time the club kit came out, i just dont trust serato to not mess something up

even though the SRT were very small upgrades (phono inputs, efx sync and the fader box) I still would have been meh about paying an upgrade fee for any of those top end mixers.

i think you are right about the serato/rane expectations and why people thought it was just going to be plug and play. Since the relationship(serato/rane) has been murky at best for the average joe or people that really dont wanna keep up with the latest serato/dj news most thought it was just how that relationship rolled. It would have been nice if serato and rane had been more upfront about that.

Test the mp 2014; I can vouch for the 2015 in regards to the flawed pots/rotaries.
HARO 6:42 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
In regards to the rotaries:
There's a jump from the full off rotary going from 0 to 1, and when fading from 1-0 volume position. It suddenly starts playing or suddenly goes from low volume to abrupt off.

Interesting. I have two MP2015s and one MP2014 and haven't experienced this issue on any of them.
Dave The One 7:02 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
There's a jump from the full off rotary going from 0 to 1, and when fading from 1-0 volume position. It suddenly starts playing or suddenly goes from low volume to abrupt off.

Interesting. I have two MP2015s and one MP2014 and haven't experienced this issue on any of them.

Curious where are you from? Where are you located?

Any pictures of these mixers?

Here's mine drive.google.com
HARO 7:57 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Curious where are you from? Where are you located?

Any pictures of these mixers?

Here's mine drive.google.com

From Miami. Currently St. Louis. Pics can be found in various albums here: facebook.com
dibb 8:26 PM - 3 June, 2016
HARO, lovely concept that custom 2 channel analogue rotary mixer on FB. Maybe Rane could make it? :)

I guess it's back to DVS boxes again. This club kit thing is not working. I must say I'm seriously tempted to go the Rekordbox / XDJ route and ditch the laptop altogether.
Dave The One 8:37 PM - 3 June, 2016
I see customs built DJ coffins. But I'll take your word for it that you personally own these three mixers.

I will call you out in regards to the rotary issue.

No ones paying me to throw up a video; I have to admit I'm tempted,

Simply put; I recommended DJs do some testing on the mp 2015; you really do owe it to yourself especially if you're tough to drop this kind of money. I cannot speak on the 2014 as I did not own or test the unit.

If you purchase online make sure it's from a reputable retailer and ask about the return policy. I recommend purchasing with American Express; they will call the retailer on your behalf in regards to returns over 30 days, they have policies between each of their cards (blue, gold, platinum) that allow for full or partial credit if a merchant doesn't want to accept a return within 90 days.
Let them know that some have experienced very specific issues in regards to the volume off (0) to 1 position. And back down from 1 to 0 not fading but simply cutting off.

People should also take note that serato dj is not fully enabled (seratos words); ask serato, I did. I was told to submit a feature request and that the chances of post fader effects was slim to none.

As well ass the headroom issue between the last two notches on each LED strip which was also noted by a review video.

It needs to be crystal clear that the serato club kit paired with the Rane mp 2015 leaves you with serato DJ not being fully serato DJ enabled.
HARO 9:11 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
I see customs built DJ coffins. But I'll take your word for it that you personally own these three mixers.

Coffins? Perhaps you're confusing with custom console. Anyway, if you explore the "various albums" you'll find photos of my mixers. Direct links below if still interested. BTW, thank you very much for taking my "word for it". Much appreciated. Curious, do people really lie about such things? :-/

Regarding "I will call you out in regards to the rotary issue." – Huh? Call me out? On what exactly? I clearly stated that "haven't experienced this issue on any of them.". I'm sorry you've experienced problems, I don't doubt that you have, but I'm simply letting you know I haven't on any of mine which are the same same rotary so perhaps you just had a bad one(s). Also worth noting is I have several friends that own MP2015s/MP2014s as well, and none of them have the problem you describe.

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com

www.facebook.com
Dave The One 10:10 PM - 3 June, 2016
I'm not gonna go tit for tat with you.

Nice work on the coffins by the way. Not interested though as this mixer is going back!

My main point once again for people to test before buying. Check those pots/rotaries and the headroom issue. Also note that this
This mixer isn't fully serato DJ enabled (NO post fader effects); that's pretty significant (2,899.00 and another 169.00 for the serato DJ club kit, brings you to over 3,000.00)

F-- this its video time, not just gonna throw up pics.
HARO 12:17 AM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:
HARO, lovely concept that custom 2 channel analogue rotary mixer on FB. Maybe Rane could make it? :)

Thanks dibb. It's another custom project I work on as time allows. If/when it gets done I'll post pics.

Quote:

I guess it's back to DVS boxes again. This club kit thing is not working. I must say I'm seriously tempted to go the Rekordbox / XDJ route and ditch the laptop altogether.

I hear ya. I've been with Serato since the beginning, but with all the incapability problems lately and no signs of hope anywhere on horizon, I and most every other Serato user I know is now unfortunately having to look at other options to keep working in real world, mainly Rekordbox DJ.

List of probs:

Serato Club Kit doesn't work with MP2014

Serato DJ doesn't work with SL2/SL4 on Mac OS X EC

Serato DJ doesn't work with CDJ-2000NXS2

Serato Club Kit doesn't work with DJM-900NXS2

Ughhhh...

:-(
HARO 12:18 AM - 4 June, 2016
Thanks Dave. Good luck to you. Hope it works out.
Dave The One 12:56 AM - 4 June, 2016
The consoles are sick. We might need to talk. I have some cdj's on the way, I'm devastated about the Rane mp 2015, I honestly don't have a mixer solution, I do have someone selling a urei 1620 in pristine condition but then I have to get separate leds to monitor each channel, separate isolaters effect box.
I'm now looking at the dim 2000 nexus, I'm done with all this software crippling and nickel and diming.

I'm about to friend/like you on the fbook.
dibb 7:44 AM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:
I honestly don't have a mixer solution.

Function One is coming with a rotary and a 4 channel version of the FF6.2 later this year:
djtechtools.com

No isolator a la the 2015, but some serious control of frequency per channel.
dibb 7:47 AM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:

gonna post it here? I'm curious to see it..
Dave The One 1:31 PM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:

Function One is coming with a rotary and a 4 channel version of the FF6.2 later this year:
djtechtools.com

No isolator a la the 2015, but some serious control of frequency per channel.

Honestly the only rotary mixer I'd touch would be, if and only if Universal Audio released an updated version of the urei 1620. Rane (in my opinion after testing) just can't do it.
Dave The One 1:33 PM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

gonna post it here? I'm curious to see it..

Working on it as mine is already on its way back.

And yes it will be posted here and every other DJ site known to man.
dibb 4:51 PM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:
Honestly the only rotary mixer I'd touch would be, if and only if Universal Audio released an updated version of the urei 1620.

Or, if money is not an issue: www.alpharecordingsystem.com
Mr. Goodkat 5:49 PM - 4 June, 2016
if you spent that much money, why not try to get an e&s or if you want rotary get an Allen & Heath xone 92 with a rotary kit.
HARO 6:29 PM - 4 June, 2016
In addition to E&S, ARS, Bozak, Urei, Rane, et el, here's a few more quality units you may wish to consider that are all in this same realm...

www.condesaelectronics.com

www.varia-instruments.com

www.mezastudios.com

www.superstereo.co.uk

www.bozure.com
Mr. Goodkat 8:02 PM - 5 June, 2016
condesas are so sick
dibb 8:15 PM - 5 June, 2016
That Lucia is gorgeous
dibb 3:58 PM - 18 June, 2016
Quote:

I'm still curious to see/hear this issue with the 2015 you've had..
HARO 4:03 PM - 18 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I'm still curious to see/hear this issue with the 2015 you've had..

Co-sign. Many of us are.
Konix 6:51 PM - 18 June, 2016
I don't hear it either on my MP2015. I mean, sure it goes from off to barley audible between 0-0.5 on the dial if you listen carefully, but what else would it do? It has to turn on at some point. Okay, so it's not a "smooth fade" from on/off, but you make it sound like it's going from dead silence to 10 volume. I think you're blowing things way out of proportion, as 1) I highly doubt anyone is listening at 1 on dial, and 2) the mixer is supposed to be played at 10 on the volume dials, and you can't even really hear the incoming track you're mixing in until you get to about 5-6 on the dial.
HARO 8:07 PM - 18 June, 2016
Quote:
I don't hear it either on my MP2015. I mean, sure it goes from off to barley audible between 0-0.5 on the dial if you listen carefully, but what else would it do? It has to turn on at some point. Okay, so it's not a "smooth fade" from on/off, but you make it sound like it's going from dead silence to 10 volume. I think you're blowing things way out of proportion, as 1) I highly doubt anyone is listening at 1 on dial, and 2) the mixer is supposed to be played at 10 on the volume dials, and you can't even really hear the incoming track you're mixing in until you get to about 5-6 on the dial.

Same observation on every MP2015/MP2014 I've used as well. The "off to barley audible between 0-0.5 on the dial if you listen carefully" is only the slightest bit perceptible on a channel in the pristinely quiet confines of my studio when no other channel is being played, otherwise I would defy anyone to be able to hear this if it were being mixed into any other channel that was playing, much less in real-world club/venue/party live scenario. If Dave is experiencing something other than this I'm willing to bet there is something seriously abnormal with his particular unit(s) and highly recommend just having the guys at Rane check it out for them. Confident their world-class service will get him quickly sorted.
Konix 12:04 PM - 19 June, 2016
Well, if he already sold/returned the mixer, it's a moot point debating this. But if this is the reason he did sell/return it, that's silly, and seriously nit picking. Now, yes, if he was experiencing something else more serious, he should have had it looked at.

My only gripe is the MP2014's isolaters work in the headphones, but the MP2015's doesn't :/
HARO 2:12 PM - 19 June, 2016
Quote:

My only gripe is the MP2014's isolaters work in the headphones, but the MP2015's doesn't :/

From what I understand, there's a workaround for that on MP2015 if interested: dj.rane.com
Mr. Goodkat 6:13 PM - 19 June, 2016
so overall how do you guys like the mixer? is sound quality that much better? any other problems?
Beatlogik 10:10 PM - 27 June, 2016
Quote:
so overall how do you guys like the mixer? is sound quality that much better? any other problems?

Bump

On the fence here and hoping for a few more real-world honest opinions. Interested to know your thoughts with practicality and usability with SDJ. As far as I can tell, the only user that has NOT been satisfied across the board is Dave and, based on responses to his issue it seems like it may be a bit blown out of proportion compared to other users' experiences.

Although it's not post-fader, I feel that I could just use my DDJ-SP1 to control all internal FX in SDJ and be fine for the most part.
Beatlogik 3:51 PM - 28 June, 2016
I'm selling my DJM-900SRT to pick up the MP2015 and Club Kit. I realize that there is a premium for the upgrade but I think it's worth it based on all my research.
Dave The One 10:34 PM - 30 July, 2016
Sent it back, replaced with the 900nxs2. As far as sound quality, no contest.
You'd have to keep the isolators on to match the quality of sound coming out of the 900nxs2.

The mp 2015 is an absolute joke for anyone coming from using urei's or bozacks, even the rane mp 2016. The mixer sounds completely flat compared to anything out there, the line level eq'ing doesn't even help.

Anyone saying this is one of the best sounding mixers out there, where have you played?

Check your ears people, the rane mp2015 is terrible. Rane recently sold to inmusic, I rest my case.

Please look at DJCitys review of the 2014, even he says the sound of the mixer is flat as hell and that he choses to keep the isolator on for better sound.

The NXS2 system (djm and cdj's), 1,000 percent better sounding and is rock solid stand alone than any serato system I ever owned. Can use the ddj sp1 connected to one of the decks for cues and rolls, no software needed; ethernet via switch or connected to other cdj a usb thumb drive or HD and that's it. Rekordbox is on par with Serato.

My only use for serato is with my ns7 III until I get rid of it. It's useless standalone, no fx loop, no filters, just a straight up regular dj mixer, no bells, no whistles. It is ridiculous to be chained/dongled to Serato and a laptop.
Dave The One 10:44 PM - 30 July, 2016
Quote:
Sent it back, replaced with the 900nxs2. As far as sound quality, no contest.
You'd have to keep the isolators on to match the quality of sound coming out of the 900nxs2.

The mp 2015 is an absolute joke for anyone coming from using urei's or bozacks, even the rane mp 2016. The mixer sounds completely flat compared to anything out there, the line level eq'ing doesn't even help.

Anyone saying this is one of the best sounding mixers out there, where have you played?

Check your ears people, the rane mp2015 is terrible. Rane recently sold to inmusic, I rest my case.

Please look at DJCitys review of the 2014, even he says the sound of the mixer is flat as hell and that he choses to keep the isolator on for better sound.

The NXS2 system (djm and cdj's), 1,000 percent better sounding and is rock solid stand alone than any serato system I ever owned. Can use the ddj sp1 connected to one of the decks for cues and rolls, no software needed; ethernet via switch or connected to other cdj a usb thumb drive or HD and that's it. Rekordbox is on par with Serato.

My only use for serato is with my ns7 III until I get rid of it. It's useless standalone, no fx loop, no filters, just a straight up regular dj mixer, no bells, no whistles. It is ridiculous to be chained/dongled to Serato and a laptop.

Forgot to add why would anyone buy this mixer to use with serato when there's no post fader fx?

Seriously, buy a urei 1620 or mp 2016, rmx 1000, and an sl2, 3 or 4. Better quality rotaries/pots and sound is 1,000 times better if you must use serato.

Or do yourself an even bigger favor and go listen to the nxs2 system. The built in fx on the djm 900 nxs 2, all post fader (line and cross fader) and using an rmx 1000, 500 or the 20,00 itunes app makes this an even more incredible fx beast. So many possibilities. If they come out with a rotary kit and it looks like one can be retrofitted easily; forget it. No contest.
deejdave 12:18 AM - 31 July, 2016
Quote:
The built in fx on the djm 900 nxs 2, all post fader (line and cross fader) and using an rmx 1000, 500 or the 20,00 itunes app makes this an even more incredible fx beast

Again how are you connecting the iPad version of RMX-1000 to this setup?
Dave The One 12:26 AM - 31 July, 2016
The 900nxs2 has a separate USB connection on the dial right next to fx loop. This works the same as send/return fx loop except through USB connection.
deejdave 12:50 AM - 31 July, 2016
You answered all I need on other post. Thanks for that. Quick question. Are you comparing the NXS2 sound while running SW (RBDJ) Vs. 2015 (SDJ) or are you speaking both hardware only using the same source?
Dave The One 1:06 AM - 31 July, 2016
Im speaking hardware in regards to both.
I'm having my 1200's upgraded (blue LED lights and Quartz lock recalibrated)
The 1200's with pure vinyl sizzles on the 900nxs2.

The mp 2015 with the isolator on all the time still doesn't sound as good as the 900 nxs2. Again I'll be in heaven if they come out with a rotary kit for the nxs2.

Let's say they fixed the post fader fx issue on the mp 2015 and the glaring poor quality fade in/out on those pots rotaries; id still chose the djm 900nxs2. The sound quality and built in fx, along with more fx via USB or analog fx insert send/return, no contest.

Let's take out fx altogether from both mixers, the sound still puts the nxs2 over the top for me.
Crossing my fingers for a rotary kit. Already heard someone has a third party kit working. Hope pioneer does it for this mixed like they did with the djm 800
Dave The One 1:08 AM - 31 July, 2016
Hers a picture of the djm 800 with rotaries www.decks.co.uk

X-ing my fingers.

This is the official part from pioneer

www.pioneerelectronics.com
deejdave 4:00 PM - 31 July, 2016
That rotary kit was 100% able to be fitted into the DJM-900Nexus (MK1) and SRT so I am willing to bet the same can be done with the NXS2. I would try myself but I prefer fader for performing. I have the Urei 1620 for my Rotary fix but all other hardware of mine is fader.

Brichi dl.dropboxusercontent.com
Dave The One 4:07 PM - 31 July, 2016
The panel on the 900nxs2 is different; the bottom two screws are under the X-fader, so they have to design a whole new piece (bigger) for rotaries on the nxs2.
Dave The One 4:47 PM - 31 July, 2016
Looks like the 900nxs you have in that picture was modded, looks like they cut the face plate for that portion of the mixer to fit onto the nxs. Nice.
How long have you had it?
Experienced any leaks from the pots/rotaries?
When I had the djm 3000 rotary kit years ago that became an issue quickly.
deejdave 4:49 PM - 31 July, 2016
The panel is just a template of metal. I would say simple machining skills would be all that is necessary but it is literally cutting, smoothing down, screwing holes and painting. All else is just (simple) wiring. I do not know if the harness/connector is the same between the two but the template is (imo) the easy part.

TBH I could have sworn the fader assembly plate is the same exact size (part number as well) from the NXS to the NXS2.

If you saw the pic you notice the bottom (where the xfader is located) is actually the original from the NXS so the same would apply to NXS2. The template is cut to size and the top is the rotary part from the 800 kit.
deejdave 4:53 PM - 31 July, 2016
Quote:
Looks like the 900nxs you have in that picture was modded, looks like they cut the face plate for that portion of the mixer to fit onto the nxs. Nice.
How long have you had it?
Experienced any leaks from the pots/rotaries?
When I had the djm 3000 rotary kit years ago that became an issue quickly.

Ahh saw this afterwards. This mod was actually very popular around here a few years ago. User Brichi was the first to do it and other followed his lead. The word "modded" is used very loosely here though as there is not much to it. The hardest part is keeping the finish and the fact of potentially losing midi functions of faders (if used) I would imagine unless replaced by rotary feedback..................... it is simple input devices afterall. I am keeping this hardware related as you were above though. Keeping SW in mind I can not advise anyone undertake this at all. In terms of bleeding I would again remind these are original Pio parts so the bleeding would not occur anymore than it would with the 800. Its all pots and wires in the end.
deejdave 4:55 PM - 31 July, 2016
Here is the Serato convo serato.com although the alternate forum threads go into more detail etc. serato.com
HARO 2:27 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:

Love it! IMO, the MP2014 and MP2015 are the best designed, built, performing, and most importantly, SOUNDing rotary mixers currently available on the market from a major manufacturer. If I had to use one word to describe the sound of these mixers it would be "colorless". There's nothing else like them anywhere and worth every penny if the feature set suits your needs. Only complaint was that the MP2014 is not supported by Serato (not Rane's fault). But then again, Serato also isn't supporting any of the Nexus 2 gear either, which means many longtime Serato users are being left no choice but to move to other platforms that are offering solutions such as Rekordbox.
HARO 2:39 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Forgot to add why would anyone buy this mixer to use with serato when there's no post fader fx?

Probably because there are plenty of DJs such as myself who couldn't care less about special effects so there's zero need/desire for stuff like that. We want the strength of the actual music content we're programming to be the focus of our sets, and don't want the sets to become a technology showcase. In other words, we want our carefully curated tracks to breathe and stand on their own without effecting them unnatural filters.
Dave The One 2:48 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
If I had to use one word to describe the sound of these mixers it would be "colorless"

Pay attention to that. Huge fail!

The urei 1620 was never described as colorless and is why it is still sought after today.

Even Ranes rotary predecessor had a sound characteristic to it; not described as colorless.

"Colorless" is like when you are in a recording studio mastering your music and using a pair of Ns10's. It's flat as hell and sounds like sh-t.

You are correct in that it sounds like nothing else out there; put that mixer through a sound test with pioneer or xone; it sounds terrible until you put on the isolater and make adjustments and keep it on, and even then the "sound" doesn't separate it from the pack.

It's been out well over a year; haven't seen it in one club unlike pioneer xone and urei bozack and Rane before it.

That is why it is in the InMusic graveyard; its flagship are akai and numark,
Denon, not even a player anymore.
HARO 2:57 PM - 2 August, 2016
FYI, "colorless" is not a "Huge fail!" for those who desire a mixer that does not add character to the sound of what's played through it. That's not to say many of us longtime rotary users do not appreciate, desire, and own other rotary mixers that do add coloring to the sound. In fact, those coloring characteristics each analog mixer provides can be quite charming at times. We look at it as 'Why choose when you can have them all?" lol. In other words, different tools for different applications, just like different grooves for different moods. For example, whenever I'm doing a full analog performance with non-class D sound systems I'd use a Condesa, E&S, et al.
HARO 2:58 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:

It's been out well over a year; haven't seen it in one club unlike pioneer xone and urei bozack and Rane before it.

While that may be the case for you, I can assure you it's hardly the case for others. Plenty of MP2015s being used around here.
Dave The One 3:00 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

While that may be the case for you, I can assure you it's hardly the case for others. Plenty of MP2015s being used around here.

I'm curious. What venues? Do tell.
HARO 3:00 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:

Sorry, not following you here. Please explain.
Dave The One 3:02 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
FYI, "colorless" is not a "Huge fail!" for those who desire a mixer that does not add character to the sound of what's played through it. That's not to say many of us longtime rotary users do not appreciate, desire, and own other rotary mixers that do add coloring to the sound. In fact, those coloring characteristics each analog mixer provides can be quite charming at times. We look at it as 'Why choose when you can have them all?" lol. In other words, different tools for different applications, just like different grooves for different moods. For example, whenever I'm doing a full analog performance with non-class D sound systems I'd use a Condesa, E&S, et al.

Certainly! Makes complete sense, people come to clubs for that colorless sound! I totally get it.

Smh
HARO 3:06 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
I'm curious. What venues? Do tell.

In STL alone the MP2015 is currently being used at Sky Terrace, Upstairs Lounge, Atomic Cowboy, Thaxton, Siam, and countless other venues.
HARO 3:09 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:

Certainly! Makes complete sense, people come to clubs for that colorless sound! I totally get it.

Can't speak for clubs you attend, but numerous attendees I've spoken with at numerous clubs I've worked have never even used the word "colorless" when describing why they go. Many have commented on how great the sound is to them though.
Detroitbootybass 3:18 PM - 2 August, 2016
I can't believe that Dave The One thinks that an accurate mixer (from a sound reproduction standpoint) is a bad thing...
HARO 3:18 PM - 2 August, 2016
Dave, I fully realize it's entirely possible you aren't finding the MP2015 wherever you just happen to frequent, but that doesn't mean it's not being used outside of your tiny circle. If interested in learning all the places the MP2015 is being used out in the wild, you may wanna consider getting out and about more. Or just do a simple search on Google, Facebook, etc. and you'll find the MP2015 being used by all kinds of DJs at all kinds of events all over the planet.
HARO 3:21 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
I can't believe that Dave The One thinks that an accurate mixer (from a sound reproduction standpoint) is a bad thing...

We thought that was kinda odd as well. Different strokes, different folks.

Perhaps Dave just doesn't know there are many different ways to color sound if so desired.
Dave The One 4:02 PM - 2 August, 2016
Yawn

Yeah I need to get out of this tiny circle, gotta go the scene in STL and play out there in one of the many venues that have the Rane MP 2015 installed. Talk about a tiny circle; you summed it up once you said STL. Lmao
Yo I heard Atomic Cowboy is off the chain! They're big on the scene!

I gotta see that size of the circle you're talking about.

Detroitbootybass
Form a sound reproduction standpoint the 2015 is a disappointment.
Why am I even responding? I'm talking to people that are happy about built in isolators on DJ mixers and world famous venues such as the atomic cowboy.

Gotta drop my mic here....

Lmao

F-in ridiculous
HARO 4:24 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Yawn

Yeah I need to get out of this tiny circle

– Again, “If interested in learning all the places the MP2015 is being used out in the wild”, yes, you may want to consider doing just that. If not, then don’t. Remember, you are the one inquiring about where the MP2015 is being used >>> “I'm curious. What venues? Do tell.” – Dave The One

Quote:
gotta go the scene in STL and play out there in one of the many venues that have the Rane MP 2015 installed.

Just let me know if you need any assistance making contacts and I’ll be glad to help if able.

Quote:
Talk about a tiny circle; you summed it up once you said STL. Lmao

Sorry, not following. Anyway, keep in mind, STL was just one example I know of from personal experience that has MP2015s being used throughout city. There are many others areas too. Again, just do a simple search if interested in learning about them.

Quote:
Yo I heard Atomic Cowboy is off the chain! They're big on the scene!

Wouldn’t say they’re “big” here, but they do a fair share of dance music events, and believe they just celebrated their 10 year anniversary recently.

Quote:
I gotta see that size of the circle you're talking about.

Size of what circle? My personal circle or that of MP2015 users?

Quote:
Detroitbootybass
Form a sound reproduction standpoint the 2015 is a disappointment.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, but I can assure you that it isn’t shared by many others.

Quote:
Why am I even responding?

Only you can answer that, Dave. Imagine it’s proably because you’re interested in the MP2015 on some level. Why else would you be spending time here talking about it and asking questions about it if not?

Quote:
I'm talking to people that are happy about built in isolators on DJ mixers and world famous venues such as the atomic cowboy.

Correct on first part, but I’m not so sure about AC being “world famous”. Maybe it is. I don’t know. Considering the fact you said “Yo I heard Atomic Cowboy is off the chain!”, perhaps it’s more known than I realized.

Quote:
Gotta drop my mic here….

Careful. In my experience, dropping mics isn’t very good for them. Depending on where they make impact and how hard, dropping mics can cause damage to them.

Quote:
Lmao

F-in ridiculous

Again, not following. Please explain if able/willing.

PS: You were also asked to please explain one of your earlier comments too, but still haven’t received a reply. Here it is again if you happened to have missed it.

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, not following you here. Please explain.
Mr. Goodkat 4:55 PM - 2 August, 2016
yeah, im not sure what the deal with daves hatred of the 2015.

id also say its hard to compare any audio systems of back in the day and now, especially when talking about analog mixers and analogue formats(records).

not saying youre wrong dave, but anytime people start hurling insults over a mixer, its clear you cant be objective in your opinions. the world is a big place too btw. if you are travelling worldwide djing on a weekly basis, playing in 2-5 different clubs in different cities since the 2015 came out, id say, just being a dick about where they are installed(or not installed) seems a bit, well, like you're being a dick.
AKIEM 5:28 PM - 2 August, 2016
I understand liking the 'color' of whatever mixer, I do not understand being mad at 'transparent' you can color how you wish....
Mr. Goodkat 6:16 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
I understand liking the 'color' of whatever mixer, I do not understand being mad at 'transparent' you can color how you wish....

and if the system is really quality, you can color at the system level with power racks and their tools or the analogue equivalents(eq's, compressors, limiters, exciters, etc)

i could totally be wrong but it seems like that would be the more likely course, with light eq'ing from the mixer. i know that with vinyl, many records lack high end or get record burn(or playing with old styli), but with digital files its seems like your eq'ing should be, at least in theory, much less radical.
HARO 7:32 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
id also say its hard to compare any audio systems of back in the day and now, especially when talking about analog mixers and analogue formats(records).

Exactly. Apples n' Oranges. Comparing an MP2014/MP2015 to a vintage Bozak is like comparing a 1969 ZL1 Camaro to a 2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S. You win either way (assuming the features are what you need/want).
HARO 7:33 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:

Bingo.
HARO 7:39 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:

i could totally be wrong but it seems like that would be the more likely course, with light eq'ing from the mixer. i know that with vinyl, many records lack high end or get record burn(or playing with old styli), but with digital files its seems like your eq'ing should be, at least in theory, much less radical.

In my experience, yes, this is correct. That's actually one of the things I love so much about the MP2015/MP2014. I play a ton of vinyl; mainly classic disco, funk, soul, jazz, latin, etc., and often times when I'm doing a vinyl + digital set I need to EQ the older vinyl tracks much differently than the newer digital ones in order to maintain smooth sound between the two mediums when bouncing back n' forth. The MP2015/MP2014's power EQs and isolator section combined with extreme transparency allows me to easily accomplish this.
Mr. Goodkat 8:36 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

In my experience, yes, this is correct. That's actually one of the things I love so much about the MP2015/MP2014. I play a ton of vinyl; mainly classic disco, funk, soul, jazz, latin, etc., and often times when I'm doing a vinyl + digital set I need to EQ the older vinyl tracks much differently than the newer digital ones in order to maintain smooth sound between the two mediums when bouncing back n' forth. The MP2015/MP2014's power EQs and isolator section combined with extreme transparency allows me to easily accomplish this.

glad to hear the positive review, i still want one. hopefully the price goes down and not up.
HARO 8:45 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
hopefully the price goes down and not up.

Who knows what'll happen now that Rane has been sold. More often than not, when a domestic US company that produces high quality goods gets sold to some other company overseas, quality tends to suffer unfortunately. Not saying that'll be the case with Rane of course since nobody has a crystal ball, but if past is any indicator of future, there's a pretty good chance this kind of demise will happen as quality is sacrificed for price points, higher profits, etc. until the name that once stood for something finally gets eroded.

Also consider that rotary mixers aren't very popular at all compared to linear, so it could be that InMusic scraps them all together. Again, who knows, but wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

If I were to guess, I'd say original US-built Rane mixers will likely gain in value as time goes on and scarcity increases after the transfer to InMusic happens and production begins overseas.
Mr. Goodkat 9:41 PM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
I'd say original US-built Rane mixers will likely gain in value as time goes on and scarcity increases

yeah, i can see them at least holding value and not being blown out at half price. but i hope GC blows them out at half price.
lindsaymar 10:23 PM - 11 March, 2017
In the Pioneer Djm-900nxs2 Setting Utility app it shows the FX Send on usb-11/12 & FX Return on usb-9/10, into the mixers Master. That looks to me (with my limited knowledge) like it should allow post fader effects? Or at least like it should be possible.
Unfortunately any effect with a tail is practically useless to me without being post fader.

Not only was I expecting post fader fx from Serato Club Kit but I was also hoping for the mixers 'rekordbox quantize' button to work for Serato in the same way it does for Rekorbox, i.e the button would sync the mixers Beat fx bpm from Serato's bpm/grid info.

I can't justify paying for Club Kit without the ability to do these 2 things. Which is a shame :(
Reticuli 10:41 PM - 31 August, 2019
denondjforum.com

Confused. I thought Dave The One got rid of the MP2015. Did he get another one?

I think in order to do post fader Serato effects the MP2015 would need to be able to get ASIO/CoreAudio USB feeds to the master out and headphone outs, and then the mixer act as mostly just a controller, right? My understanding is only the channel inputs on it have USB audio capability. Using the MP2015 as mostly just a controller seems kind of weird to me anyway, but to each their own. Can the Rane SL boxes be run in 2ch master and 2ch headphone rather than as channels?