DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Added rotary kit to DJM-900 if anyone is interested (pic inside)

BriChi 5:39 AM - 4 February, 2012
So since I LOVE rotaries and had to get the DJM900 this week, I decided to mess with the rotary from the 800 and get it into the 900. No offense to Pioneer, but they could have very easily did a kit for this, I am no engineer and I got this thing up in running in no time. I fitted the wires and kit to the 900 easily, Now I just have to hit a machine shop to have the bottom half of the stock fader plate cut so i can mount that, then I am finished. Oh yeah, and I took out the yellow from the efx button, its now blue :)

I will post final pics when I am done, here is part 1

dl.dropbox.com
the_black_one 5:45 AM - 4 February, 2012
nice
ninos 9:27 AM - 4 February, 2012
The blue efx button looks sick. Nice rotarys too. Sex e
Dj.Mojo 9:28 AM - 4 February, 2012
Great mod
echa1945mf 9:43 AM - 4 February, 2012
my god sir you are crazy ! the fx button looks dope though
BriChi 2:51 PM - 4 February, 2012
hahahaha, Thank you sir! Yeah I know its a little nuts but the ohm reading was very close between the upfaders and the rotary so it should be fine in the 900.
DJ Head 10:16 PM - 4 February, 2012
Love the blue fx button. I'm not big on rotarys, but props on being ballsy enough to break open a brand new DJM900.
DjWoody 3:15 AM - 5 February, 2012
Loved the blue as well. Where did you buy the LED's? I want to change the LED's on my CDJ's to that blue and might as well do it on my 800.
BriChi 7:45 AM - 5 February, 2012
thanks guys, i love doing shit like this, lol

DjWoody, I got the leds for led-switch.com, The guy is great ships really fast. I used the 3mm clear blue ultra brights, also used some red and white in the cdjs in the pic below

dl.dropbox.com
Panotaker 8:50 AM - 5 February, 2012
Can I have your old slide faders so I can try to modify my Bozak?
BriChi 5:46 PM - 5 February, 2012
hahahahahaa, That would be a first.LOL
DJ GOOK 6:05 PM - 5 February, 2012
will those leds work in turntables
Dj.Mojo 6:30 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:

hahaha literally laughed out loud!
That would be so wrong.

Like modding an old vespa with rear view mirrors.
DjWoody 7:10 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
thanks guys, i love doing shit like this, lol

DjWoody, I got the leds for led-switch.com, The guy is great ships really fast. I used the 3mm clear blue ultra brights, also used some red and white in the cdjs in the pic below

dl.dropbox.com

Thanks

How do I find out which ones work with my CDJ 800's?
BriChi 7:42 PM - 5 February, 2012
the less are pretty much very close in range, I think if you stick with ones rated between 2000-3000 MCD, you will be fine. If you could get the schematic of the 800's, they show the resistors used before the leds so you can figure it out. But pretty much, they will all do in that range. I didn't pay crazy attention to it, i just made sure I stayed within a low tolerance. If the led is to powerful, it just won't be as bright and if it is to little brightness, it will burn out quicker so really no damage can be down to the player IMO
BriChi 7:43 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

hahaha literally laughed out loud!
That would be so wrong.

Like modding an old vespa with rear view mirrors.

same here, that was funny, i want my Bozak back :( should have never sold it
dj_craigmac 1:27 AM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:
So since I LOVE rotaries and had to get the DJM900 this week, I decided to mess with the rotary from the 800 and get it into the 900. No offense to Pioneer, but they could have very easily did a kit for this, I am no engineer and I got this thing up in running in no time. I fitted the wires and kit to the 900 easily, Now I just have to hit a machine shop to have the bottom half of the stock fader plate cut so i can mount that, then I am finished. Oh yeah, and I took out the yellow from the efx button, its now blue :)

I will post final pics when I am done, here is part 1

dl.dropbox.com

Can't wait to see the finished product
BriChi 4:46 PM - 6 February, 2012
should be done this week, Going to a machine shop hopefully today to get the fader panel cut
BriChi 12:39 AM - 7 February, 2012
here's option 1, i just drilled the plate and mounted the rotary: dl.dropbox.com

the other way I am debating is leaving the original rotary kit together and cutting the 900 fader plate in half, pretty much right above the a/b thru writing for it to fit, Still undecided what route to go, My original rotary kit plate is so warn out, I figured this all looks more new
the_black_one 3:04 AM - 7 February, 2012
Looks good
ali_you 5:52 PM - 7 February, 2012
Hey Brichi
you tried to show me on pioneer forums but you couldn't
CMOS 5:58 PM - 7 February, 2012
Quote:
the other way I am debating is leaving the original rotary kit together and cutting the 900 fader plate in half, pretty much right above the a/b thru writing for it to fit, Still undecided what route to go, My original rotary kit plate is so warn out, I figured this all looks more new

This what i figured you were doing when you said machine shop. Looks strange with the fader slots underneath. Would look much cleaner with half the original plate and the rotary plate.
BriChi 6:26 PM - 7 February, 2012
yeah, I agree, looks a little strange, I just had the plate cut, new pic so far: dl.dropbox.com

will post another once mounted later
BriChi 6:28 PM - 7 February, 2012
Quote:
Hey Brichi
you tried to show me on pioneer forums but you couldn't

Hey Ali, yeah, I know this mod is not what Pioneer likes to see being that there is always that chance of damaging something. I really don't want to make the details of how I did it too public but of course i can email ya if you want to know anything specific I am not showing or writing in posts
BriChi 8:07 PM - 7 February, 2012
I think i like this much better, Cut the stock 900 plate the same size as the 800 plate and it fits perfect, just need to hook it all up and screw it down once i am home

dl.dropbox.com
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:03 PM - 7 February, 2012
I actually kind of like it the old way. I think maybe because your 800 plate is so warn out. Maybe its just me.
BriChi 9:24 PM - 7 February, 2012
yeah, I need a new plate, I'm calling Pioneer later to see if I can get just the plate with no knobs
Certified Quality Entertainment 9:31 PM - 7 February, 2012
If you can do that, then I say that's a home run!
RichardM3317 9:59 PM - 7 February, 2012
that is really cool good job
BriChi 1:36 AM - 8 February, 2012
Thanks Rich

Ill keep ya posted CQE
DJ'Que 4:48 AM - 8 February, 2012
That Looks Dope. not a fan of rotary's but that killer. I like the last picture better.
BriChi 5:04 AM - 8 February, 2012
thank you Que!
BriChi 12:59 AM - 9 February, 2012
Cleaned up the rotary plate so it looks a lot cleaner

dl.dropbox.com
the_black_one 2:07 AM - 9 February, 2012
That looks clean.
VJ Justin Allen 2:18 AM - 9 February, 2012
Time to change the volume leds from green, yellow, red to 3 shades of blue :)
eugguy 2:50 AM - 9 February, 2012
That is pretty awesome.
BriChi 2:53 AM - 9 February, 2012
Thank you!

good idea Justin.
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:05 AM - 9 February, 2012
Looks much better cleaned up
WarpNote 7:47 AM - 9 February, 2012
Looks good!
Add volume markers to the plate. Make it go to 11, DO IT!! :D
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Jonasty 7:52 AM - 9 February, 2012
I want to get a 900. Had a 2000 but sold it, as it was just too wide for my liking. I won't be tearing it apart to customize it though, lol. Anybody want to trade a like new 900 for my like new Xone 92?
Mr. Goodkat 8:36 AM - 9 February, 2012
looks good, surprising, the kit would work on the 800 and 900, i have the 800s with the rotaries and dig it.
BriChi 1:29 PM - 9 February, 2012
thanks guys, yeah Goodkat, they used the same setup pretty much, just changed the connector from a 4 pin the 800 has to a 3 pin in the 900, yet the rotary only uses the 3 wires so I just had to change the connector to a 3 pin, match the wiring up so and it works perfect, volume, midi, on air feature, etc....
BriChi 2:15 AM - 10 February, 2012
Warp, thats hysterical, I should find the decals to do it, lol
dj_craigmac 3:34 AM - 10 February, 2012
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCEEEEEEE
BriChi 4:06 AM - 10 February, 2012
Thx Craig, I just sprayed down the rotary plate so it looks brand new, probably will let it dry 24 hours then mount it again, I will post new pics of course :)
WarpNote 6:10 AM - 10 February, 2012
Quote:
Warp, thats hysterical, I should find the decals to do it, lol

Would probably make your mixer the coolest on the planet ;)
Imagine telling clubowners, soundtechs, guests: "this one goes to 11"
- and watch the reaction, PRICELESS, haha!!
BriChi 1:31 PM - 10 February, 2012
LOL
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:40 PM - 10 February, 2012
That would be pretty funny.
Mikeandtess 9:59 PM - 13 February, 2014
Love it a lot
EricVozNYC 2:33 AM - 26 March, 2014
Hey BRICHI, have you test out MIDI ability with the Knobs? for example can I successfully use each channel to control fader up and down in Mix Emergency?
BriChi 12:15 PM - 26 March, 2014
yeah definitely should be able to, the rotary worked midi with Serato video so it should be fine in ME
ItsThaMessenger 9:01 PM - 26 March, 2014
Looks great!!
iamalasagnahog 2:50 AM - 12 June, 2015
BriChi: I'm looking into doing this, but have a couple questions about the connections, would you be able to chat email about it? :)
modsquadrotarykits 8:44 PM - 5 March, 2016
Rotary Upgrade Kits are available for Pioneer DJM 750, 850, 900 NXS/SRT/NXS2.The same kit can be used on these models. Meaning that if you get it for a 750 and then you decide to upgrade to any of these others models you can use the same Kit. Easy to install. www.modsquadrotary.com
Mr. Goodkat 2:38 AM - 6 March, 2016
NICE!!!
modsquadrotarykits 4:57 PM - 6 March, 2016
Website will be down for a remodel

Contact me via Facebook:
www.facebook.com
Scottie E 11:00 PM - 6 October, 2016
Hey everyone. Have spent some time now producing a plug-and-play, no modifications necessary option for those wishing to have knobs on their DJM-900 mixers. Uses the same wiring connectors as the original faders, meaning there is no soldering necessary; all you need is a screwdriver. I've put these through the paces for the last two years, in several clubs locally, and everyone (except some of the hip hop DJs) has loved them. I am now officially releasing these for sale, www.rotarykits.com. I am currently shipping models for the 900 SRT and NXS, with the NXS2 coming in November, and other models very soon.
kip 7:13 AM - 7 October, 2016
For DJM 850, 750?
Scottie E 7:14 AM - 7 October, 2016
Quote:
For DJM 850, 750?[/quote

Working on those. PM me :)
BriChi 1:22 AM - 8 October, 2016
great job Scottie!
popnwave 10:35 PM - 8 October, 2016
COOL!!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:18 AM - 9 October, 2016
DJM 850 would be nice 👍
Scottie E 1:31 AM - 9 October, 2016
Quote:
DJM 850 would be nice 👍

I expect we'll be shipping out the 850s in November as well. I've confirmed that the sliders are of the same value, and will find out late next week if the plates match up, or if we'll need to produce a different one. If a different one is necessary, we'll do them on a build-to-order basis, meaning there will be a lead time of approximately 4-6 weeks. Please stay tuned here and to the website for more announcements.