Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Mapping of SDJ for Novation TWITCH needs to be redone!

BRUAEL 2:50 AM - 5 June, 2014
Hi there,

Let me get this out of the way.

I love Serato!

I love Serato DJ!

I love the Novation TWITCH!

However, when mappings were made for the older ITCH controllers to port over to SDJ, some of them got better treatment than others.

The Novation TWTICH was one of the controllers that got a bit over-looked in my opinion. The mapping wasn't terrible (it did somethings quite well, such as switching from Channel VU to Master Output VU by clicking headphone CUE, Brilliant!) but unfortunately it got some key points wrong.

Over on the Novation sub-forum, people are quite vocal about being passed by for constant re-works of the Pioneer controllers (which is understandable as they are probably the biggest growth for you guys), and the mods keep saying that we need to put more posts over on the "Feature Suggestions" page rather than the Novation page, so here goes.

ok pre-amble rant over haha

My suggestions are in point form, as follows:

- Fix MIC/AUX function on TWITCH, SDJ mapping does not allow INPUT ports on TWITCH to work, meaning you cannot plug in any additional sound sources, like a CDJ or an iPod. (Used to work on ITCH)

- Headphone LED on MIC/AUX section does not light up when pressed, and seems to not work at all (Used to work on ITCH)

- Loaded track does not auto-cue, it even turns the headphone cue OFF if it was already on. It means always having to switch headphone cue from playing track to newly loaded track, every time! (Used to work well with ITCH)

- Fader FX encoder now only controls Beats interval, when it could be used for selecting FX as well. Fader FX encoder should function as follows: Beats selector on regular encoder turn and FX select with SHIFT+ encoder turn.

- Fader FX used to work great with the VU meters, if you turned off the fader fx, the lights would blink where you left the volume fader pre-fx. It allowed you to return to the pre-fx volume level before it resumed control. This allowed you to return the volume fader to its original level without a massive drop or gain in volume. Right now the lights simply turn off and resume Channel VU behaviour, which means if you are not quick enough to move the faders, you get a noticeable change in volume during a gig!

- Channel VU on laptop screen does not match behaviour of Channel VU on the TWITCH, I don’t know if this is TWITCH specific or an overall SDJ bug. When I fiddle with the gain, master level and channel fader I see changes to the main output VU on my laptop screen, but no changes at all to the Channel VU on my laptop screen! It stays consistently the same, which doesn’t make sense!

- FX Panel, although this was the trickiest part of the TWITCH to map, due to its limitations of buttons and knobs, I think you did a good job with what you had, and the new FX overlay works great. I printed if off and put it onto my TWITCH. However, to be able to switch between the old ITCH FX mapping and the new SDJ FX mapping in settings would be a godsend! Maybe asking too much but a DJ can dream right? I am thinking of buying a freakin’ Pioneer DDJ-SP1 just to have good FX selection!

- In master FX panel, bring add SHIFT + knobs to select FX in multi FX mode please? Its a pain in the rear to use SHIFT+Buttons to select FX.

- In Transport mode, hitting the DROP button on one deck activates DROP mode on both decks! This can cause some cueing errors!

- Touchstrip sensitivity has changed for nudging. In ITCH, nudging was MUCH more sensitive on the TWITCH touchstrip, where as on the SDJ mapping it is much more looser. Can you either change it to the original ITCH sensitivity or give a setting to allow the sensitivity to be adjusted?

- In SLICER mode, can you change the function of the touchstrip to the following: SHIFT + Touchstrip for changing slice length and TWO FINGER PINCH/ZOOM + touchstrip for changing domain (size of the loop roll). This worked great in ITCH and didn’t require 3 arms to use properly!

- To activate the SP-6 Player in the performance pads can you change it to the original function of SHIFT + HOT CUE?

- When in SAMPLE PLAYER in the performance pads, can you change buttons 7-8 to SWITCH SAMPLE BANKS instead of using the touchstrip? It is very inefficient to press SWIPE three times and then use the touchstrip to switch sample banks when in ITCH it was done with one button!

- When in SAMPLE PLAYER mode on the pads, SHIFT+PERFORMANCE PADS turns SYNC on each sample ON and OFF. It’s very inefficient to use the mouse to change sync on and off on the SP-6 player

- IF the Mic/AUX volume knob cannot be fixed, can you change it to control the volume of the SP-6 player?

- Maybe asking too much, but can you add HOT LOOP mode (as seen in the Pioneer DDJ-SP1) by pressing HOT CUE twice?

- SHIFT + Keylock turns SLIP mode on and off in the deck, please?

That’s it! Its asking a lot, but if you do this you won’t have to touch the TWITCH mapping again and it will be future-proofed for a long time! It will also right the wrong that was made in the first place from releasing an inefficient SDJ mapping for the TWITCH in the first place!

Much thanks and eternal gratitude! You guys are doing the work of gods.
H2H 9:56 AM - 5 June, 2014
I agree all your suggestions except for FX panel.
I think that FX mapping should be completly reworked and I suggest as follows :

** Control : Regular function | Shift function **

MULTI FX :
Depth Knobs : Fx1 Parmeter (*) | Fx1 select (*)
Mod Knobs : Fx2 Parmeter (*) | Fx2 select (*)
Beats Knobs : Fx3 Parmeter (*) | Fx3 select (*)

Aux button : Fx1 On/Off (*) | Fx1 select (*)
Deck A button : Fx2 On/Off (*) | Fx2 select (*)
Deck B button : Fx3 On/Off (*) | Fx3 select (*)

SIGNLE FX :
Depth Knobs : Fx Parmeter 1 (*) | Fx select (*)
Mod Knobs : Fx Parmeter 2 (*) | n/a
Beats Knobs : Fx Parmeter 3 (*) | n/a

Aux button : Fx On/Off (*) | Fx select (*)
Deck A button : Fx Parameter 1 On/Off (*) | n/a
Deck B button : Fx Pärameter 2 On/Off (*) | n/a

BOTH :
Fx Select < : on/off Fx Output 1 (*) | Set focus on Deck A FX panel
Fx Select > : on/off Fx Output 2 (*) | Set focus on Deck B FX panel
ON/OFF : on/off Fx Output Master (*) | Multi FX/Single FX toggle (*)

Fader Fx Knob Deck A : Rotate for Beats adjust or Press for tap tempo (Deck A)
Fader Fx Knob Deck B : Rotate for Beats adjust or Press for tap tempo (Deck B)

Fader Fx ON/OFF Deck A : Fader Fx ON/OFF Deck A (**) | n/a
Fader Fx ON/OFF Deck B : Fader Fx ON/OFF Deck B (**) | n/a

(*) On focused Fx Deck panel
(**) Fader Fx ON/OFF only give the possibility to control Fx1 parameter with fader on corresponding Fx Deck panel. It doesn't switch ON Fx1, we must switch ON Fx1 too to use it.

Well, finally another one thing :
You say "If the Mic/AUX volume knob cannot be fixed, can you change it to control the volume of the SP-6 player?"
If it can be fixed, may be use : Shift + Mic/AUX volume knob.
wingcomm 8:09 AM - 6 June, 2014
There has actually been a lot of chatter in the Support forums regarding the Twitch mappings. Here are a few links:

serato.com
serato.com
serato.com

There are also a few other things that I have noticed as well that are lacking in the Twitch mapping:

1. Since there are no button mappings to delete stored loops, I have to rely on the GUI. Since only two stored loops are available in the GUI, I cannot delete any of the saved loops other than the those two shown in the GUI.
2. Although this has already been addressed above, I have to bring up the poor implementation of the fader effects ("FX") as well. Since the gain is not held like it was in ITCH, it makes executing most effects without disruption nearly impossible.
3. If an effect is activated and assigned to a fader, if I tap the Select/Activate button to change effects, it causes the playing track to stutter. This is unacceptable in a live performance, especially in a recording.
5. Multi-touch - One of Novation's game-changing features in ITCH was left out of DJ. Will it come back?
6. For some effects, they do not work very well with the Twitch, for instance if I use the "Brake Echo" effect from the WOLF PACK with the Twitch it instantly "Brakes" the track when I activate the effect using On/Off button for the first time but not after subsequent button pushes. This puts me in a position where I really don't have control of the effect.
andretti 8:29 AM - 6 June, 2014
Serato is pushing these discussions to the Feature Suggestions.

IMO its not a new feature, but a software problem..
BRUAEL 6:02 AM - 10 June, 2014
What say you Serato?

I'd really like to see the TWITCH become the portable weapon of choice for some DJ's out there.

Since when is niche a bad thing? Do we all have to use DDJ-SX's or SZ's or CDJ2000 Nexus's? Not bagging anyone that uses them (played on the SX and the 2000 Nexus and love them) but its not the whole world!

Serato, let us help you, what more do we have to do to make this a possibility?
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:26 AM - 11 June, 2014
Hi BRAUEL,

Firstly, I really appreciate you taking the time give feedback. I am really keen to make the TWITCH a better experience in Serato DJ too! I will try and address all your comments, sorry if I miss anything.

Quote:
- Fix MIC/AUX function on TWITCH, SDJ mapping does not allow INPUT ports on TWITCH to work, meaning you cannot plug in any additional sound sources, like a CDJ or an iPod. (Used to work on ITCH)

This seems to work correctly for me in Serato DJ 1.6.3. Which version of Serato DJ are you using?

Quote:
- Headphone LED on MIC/AUX section does not light up when pressed, and seems to not work at all (Used to work on ITCH)

That definitely does NOT work though, we can fix that though.

Quote:
- Loaded track does not auto-cue, it even turns the headphone cue OFF if it was already on. It means always having to switch headphone cue from playing track to newly loaded track, every time! (Used to work well with ITCH)

Yeah, this definitely could be better. In ITCH, the spec of this feature changed per controller. Currently in Serato DJ it doesn't do it at all, but in an update we want to make this a setup screen option available for all controllers.

Quote:
- Fader FX encoder now only controls Beats interval, when it could be used for selecting FX as well. Fader FX encoder should function as follows: Beats selector on regular encoder turn and FX select with SHIFT+ encoder turn.

This is how it mapped currently. Turn the encoder and it changes Beats, hold SHIFT and turn the encoder and it selects the effect for slot 1.

Quote:
- Fader FX used to work great with the VU meters, if you turned off the fader fx, the lights would blink where you left the volume fader pre-fx. It allowed you to return to the pre-fx volume level before it resumed control. This allowed you to return the volume fader to its original level without a massive drop or gain in volume. Right now the lights simply turn off and resume Channel VU behaviour, which means if you are not quick enough to move the faders, you get a noticeable change in volume during a gig!

Unfortunately we haven't implemented any kind of concept of "pick up" for faders which is how this function worked in ITCH. Hopefully its something we can do in an update soon.

Quote:
- Channel VU on laptop screen does not match behaviour of Channel VU on the TWITCH, I don’t know if this is TWITCH specific or an overall SDJ bug. When I fiddle with the gain, master level and channel fader I see changes to the main output VU on my laptop screen, but no changes at all to the Channel VU on my laptop screen! It stays consistently the same, which doesn’t make sense!

No, and it doesn't for any controller. Although this seems like a bug, it actually allows you to have two stages of gain/level instead of one. The LED meter represents the gain that the track is outputting in the software and is adjusted by the little grey knob just above it. If you have ever used Scratch Live you will find it like this, and it means you can make an adjustment to the gain separately, and have that gain change saved to the track permanently.

The TRIM on the TWITCH is then a second layer which allows you to boost the signal through soundcard of the TWITCH. This is all before it reaches the fader which is the "final gatekeeper" of level before going out to your master.

The main difference is:

- Gain on track in software is for permanently adjusting the gain of your track so that it always plays at that gain level
- Trim on TWITCH is for temporary adjustments when in the mix.

Its arguable whether these two separate gain stages are useful for everyone, as I can understand some people may find it better they are in sync, so you could choose to rely on the software meter OR the TWITCH meter to provide your "gain level". I would say its beneficial overall for the TWITCH because the TWITCH only provides you a master output level on the LED anyway.

Quote:
However, to be able to switch between the old ITCH FX mapping and the new SDJ FX mapping in settings would be a godsend! Maybe asking too much but a DJ can dream right? I am thinking of buying a freakin’ Pioneer DDJ-SP1 just to have good FX selection!

How would that work though? Its quite tricky because there were three FX units in ITCH, but there are only two in Serato DJ.

Quote:
- In master FX panel, bring add SHIFT + knobs to select FX in multi FX mode please? Its a pain in the rear to use SHIFT+Buttons to select FX.

Yes, that is something we could try and do. I will add this suggestion to a list of improvements for the TWITCH.

Quote:
- Touchstrip sensitivity has changed for nudging. In ITCH, nudging was MUCH more sensitive on the TWITCH touchstrip, where as on the SDJ mapping it is much more looser. Can you either change it to the original ITCH sensitivity or give a setting to allow the sensitivity to be adjusted?

We have made some slight adjustments to the touch strip sensitivity, to make it close to ITCH. Hopefully you should see this change in our next update.

Quote:
- In Transport mode, hitting the DROP button on one deck activates DROP mode on both decks! This can cause some cueing errors!

I can see that it does indeed trigger drop mode for both decks. How do you end up pressing the touchstrip for the other deck by mistake though?

Quote:
- In SLICER mode, can you change the function of the touchstrip to the following: SHIFT + Touchstrip for changing slice length and TWO FINGER PINCH/ZOOM + touchstrip for changing domain (size of the loop roll). This worked great in ITCH and didn’t require 3 arms to use properly!

Unfortnately something else we haven't implemented in Serato DJ but certainly something we can look into.

Quote:
- To activate the SP-6 Player in the performance pads can you change it to the original function of SHIFT + HOT CUE?

Yes, that is already how it is mapped.

Quote:
When in SAMPLE PLAYER mode on the pads, SHIFT+PERFORMANCE PADS turns SYNC on each sample ON and OFF. It’s very inefficient to use the mouse to change sync on and off on the SP-6 player

That is currently mapped to STOP the sample playing in Sample Player Trigger Mode. Would sync be more useful do you think?

Quote:
- IF the Mic/AUX volume knob cannot be fixed, can you change it to control the volume of the SP-6 player?

As above, it seems to work for me. I would rather keep it the mic/aux volume knob anyway - but good suggestion as a plan b.

Quote:
- Maybe asking too much, but can you add HOT LOOP mode (as seen in the Pioneer DDJ-SP1) by pressing HOT CUE twice?

Certainly something we could consider!

Quote:
- SHIFT + Keylock turns SLIP mode on and off in the deck, please?

I like that idea, I will add that too :)

BRUAEL 5:24 AM - 11 June, 2014
Hey thanks for the reply Martin!

I guess i was a little jacked on caffeine when i wrote this and didn't realize that some of these features were already there. Just the fact that you guys are considering it is really cool!

I wasn't aware that the inputs work. Someone said they didn't work on SDJ and I took them on face value.

By the way, I wanted to make sure you knew this, but if you press the headphone cue buttons it DOES indeed change the VU meters from master vu meters to channel VU meters. I just think this is a cool feature and i use it all the time to cue my gain on the incoming track by literally seeing where it is compared the VU meter of the current track! Brilliant!

Also, I wanted to make sure you knew this as well. This is from the Serato DJ Novation TWITCH Quickstart Guide, copy and pasted!

- Sampler Mode: Press HOT CUE twice to activate Sampler Mode.Buttons
1-6 trigger samples loaded in your Sample Banks. Using the TOUCHSTRIP
cycles between banks A,B,C and D.

If you could regulate SAMPLER mode back to SHIFT + HOT CUE, then you can map 2 presses of the HOT CUE button to the HOT LOOP mode of the Pioneer DDJ-SP1 or better yet the COMBO FX mode on the Pioneer DDJ-SR! Although I bet Pioneer is smart and made a deal with you guys to keep it exclusive to that controller ;) It just kinda reminds me of pad FX found on the Vestax VCI-380!

So happy some of this stuff may be happening!
clearblu 2:14 PM - 11 June, 2014
We have made some slight adjustments to the touch strip sensitivity, to make it close to ITCH. Hopefully you should see this change in our next update.

You'll make a lot of people happy with this, throw in autoheadphones and it's the same workflow (more or less) as Itch.
Dave W is owed a beer for looking at the percentages of the touchstrips in Itch vs Sdj that I posted a while ago.
Thanks to everyone who've helped contribute constructively and the team for listening ;-)
Jogwheels -pffft who needs them :-)
clearblu 3:29 PM - 18 June, 2014
Hi Martin, the issue with drop mode is more of a distraction than anything, although it does activate on both and you can drop both tracks accidentally if your hovering with your other hand.
Twitch has something that other controllers don't have which is a visual representation of the track playing on the leds, when a playing track stops (or the visualisation stops) it can distract you and cause a slight panic.
Good news on the touchstrips front,auto headphones and I'll be ecstatic, I've said it hundreds of times but nothing is as tight as Twitch /Itch, you got it so right first time :-)
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:46 AM - 19 June, 2014
Cool clearblu :)

Whats your thoughts on changing the FX mappings, as we are discussing here: serato.com

I just posted some images with my proposal in the most recent post.
clearblu 9:27 AM - 19 June, 2014
I'm probably the last person to ask about fx if I'm honest as I route any fx to the fader fx (old Itch habit) The proposed layout certainly looks logical Martin, Wizzu,Andretti, Mr Wilks and Blackavenger will be your best bets for confirmation on the fx mapping, I'll go with the flow as its not my main area. The pinch gesture on slicer to increase or reduce the size of the slice is missed as you know Twitch was the first to incorporate the performance pads and I do miss that
But if I'm completely honest Martin for me my only issue is the touchstrips and the possibility for autoheadphones.
Thanks for listening to us all rant and taking it on board.
And big up Dave W for pushing this forward.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:28 AM - 19 June, 2014
No worries clearblu, thanks for checking it out anyway :) I will continue to do my best in moving forward the other issues you have raised, as well as work with the other users to find a mapping we can agree on.
Mr Wilks 2:21 PM - 5 August, 2014
Just for the record, the AUX input should be working now. It never worked for me in DJ. The audio pass-through 'kinda' worked but had strange behaviour where the volume had to be off or you'd get a sound like the audio was being passed back through the circuit... almost like a reverb.

So... there seems to be a few of the issues worked out on the new beta. I can't try 1.7 as I'm away from my Twitch for another six weeks but I'm sure many of you can check if the various lighting mappings, AUX and touchstrips are working better.

I think the FX mapping will come at another time but at least it's getting there. The best small controller is getting more like it was in Itch. Yay!
VicMan 2:39 PM - 9 September, 2014
+1
Quote:

:)
vadz 6:23 PM - 19 November, 2014
+1 for almost all the points. using SDJ 1.7.1 on PC and still got the same probs. just wants to drop a post about AUX/MIC issue i've discovered recently, and stopped over this post. word that!

hope you guys at Serato think about we guys using Twitch. you know, we just don't like big contollers and (especially) jogs ;)
clearblu 7:21 PM - 19 November, 2014
Hi Vadz, still using Twitch and have no desire to change that anytime soon and I know the team are aware that quite a few of us rebels feel the same. I'm sure a few changes will come eventually, I'm just made up been able mix with the strips! Ha ha
DER_FICH 9:33 PM - 9 January, 2015
+1
mikem99 8:13 PM - 14 March, 2016
Any updates?

|\'
wunfoo 7:00 PM - 6 July, 2016
Were these changes implemented? I just bought a Twitch because I wanted to have something like the Akai AMX+AFX with two discreet sets of pads. They're going for less than $200 on eBay now! Also I hate the AMX's stiff channel faders...