Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Twitch effects mapping in DJ

andretti 8:41 PM - 12 March, 2014
Micah suggested that I moved my post over here, so here it is

I think most of the Twitch users experienced major awkwardness with the Twitch effects mapping since using DJ in stead of Itch.

There is of course the known bug that makes the fader effect useless until solved

The effects mapping IMO is awful and I think we should give the Serato people a hand with fixing it (whether they like it or not ;-)

Mapping of single FX mode is kinda ok with the fader as main adjuster (except the bug..) except turning a knob should always be first choise above pushing that knob for selecting an effect since we have so many to choose from

Mapping of multi effects mode IMO could be so much better.

I notice that all current controllers made for DJ have 4 effect control knobs (4th for beats )and 3 on/of buttons

The Twitch also has 4 knobs if you count the FX parameter for the single effect mode/FX fader.

In fact; in Multi effect mode this knob already is mapped to change beats, so why not map 3th knob to FX3 instead to "beats"and the 3th button to on/of FX3

1 knob to FX1, 1 button to FX1 on/of
2 knob to FX2, 2 button to FX2 on/of
3 knob to FX3, 2 button to FX3 on/of

I find it hard to put in words the awkwardness I feel when using the effects, and not so easy to write down a solution.

I hope some more experienced users will use the chance to ad their solutions for a better effects mapping.

I also hope that Serato looks back now and again and not just forward..

If you are a dj that uses effects, Twitch on Serato DJ is a no go at the moment.
Mr Wilks 11:37 PM - 13 March, 2014
+1 million

I was so stressed with the exact same issues as you I went and got a DDJ-SX.

I still have the Twitch and will still use it but the FX are a wreck.

The beats dial above the fader FX stressed me out too much.

Also, now there is effectively no fader FX now then going the way you've suggested above is the way I thought it logical.

The beats knob should not be on the knob above the faders. Oh well.
andretti 7:30 AM - 14 March, 2014
Thanks for the confirmation Mr Wilks,

For some time I thought it was just me..

There you have three knobs in a row and you have 3 effects..

Let's dedicate knob 1 to effect 2, knob 2 to effect 3 and knob 3 to beats..

Knob 4 thats somewhere els completely we dedicate to effect 1..

WHY??

I can't put my head around it. It freaks me out.

I will be re opening my original post in the Twitch hardware help section.

This isn't about a new feature, the Twicht effect are broken and ned to be fixed!
Mr Wilks 9:44 AM - 14 March, 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation Mr Wilks,

For some time I thought it was just me..

There you have three knobs in a row and you have 3 effects..

Let's dedicate knob 1 to effect 2, knob 2 to effect 3 and knob 3 to beats..

Knob 4 thats somewhere els completely we dedicate to effect 1..

WHY??

I can't put my head around it. It freaks me out.

I will be re opening my original post in the Twitch hardware help section.

This isn't about a new feature, the Twicht effect are broken and ned to be fixed!

Totally. I was asked recently hoe if like to see the map don't for Twitch and I never got back to it as I was going to do it soon. You have suggested exactly how I'd do it and to be fair, the most sensible and logical way too.

Let's just hope they take it on board.
andretti 10:24 AM - 19 March, 2014
Quote:
Totally. I was asked recently hoe if like to see the map don't for Twitch and I never got back to it as I was going to do it soon. You have suggested exactly how I'd do it and to be fair, the most sensible and logical way too.

I have posted this in the Novation forum also. IMO it is commercially important for Novation to get a good Twitch mapping.

The Twitch still has it al (except 4 deck control). The necessary buttons and knobs are there!

Because it was a frontrunner model it is still a good buy if Serato/Novation invest in a decent mapping!
Mr Wilks 11:49 AM - 19 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I have posted this in the Novation forum also. IMO it is commercially important for Novation to get a good Twitch mapping.

The Twitch still has it al (except 4 deck control). The necessary buttons and knobs are there!

Because it was a frontrunner model it is still a good buy if Serato/Novation invest in a decent mapping!

Yes.

I just bought a Pio SX but won't be ditching my Twitch. It will travelling to Europe this summer (as it always does).

Getting the mapping right is essential and feel nothing makes sense now. Let's just hope they see sense and tweak the mapping.
NickAusten 7:53 AM - 20 March, 2014
+1
Kitch Lorraine 2:07 PM - 23 March, 2014
+1
wingcomm 8:07 AM - 6 June, 2014
I have to agree with everyone here, the effects mapping is really poorly implemented compared with ITCH. More discussion here as well: serato.com
andretti 8:28 AM - 6 June, 2014
Serato is pushing these discussions to the Feature Suggestions.

IMO its not a new feature, but a software problem..
H2H 11:46 AM - 6 June, 2014
My suggestions for a reworked mapping : serato.com
BRUAEL 4:08 AM - 11 June, 2014
+1

and 1

and 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1!
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:34 AM - 12 June, 2014
Hey andretti,

I am keen to get the TWITCH mapping better too :)

We would like to fix the lack of pick up in the fader FX functionality at some point, so that should help kick things off in the right direction.

Quote:
except turning a knob should always be first choise above pushing that knob for selecting an effect since we have so many to choose from

Agree, but then which knobs/how do we control two beats multipliers?

Quote:
1 knob to FX1, 1 button to FX1 on/of
2 knob to FX2, 2 button to FX2 on/of
3 knob to FX3, 2 button to FX3 on/of

To further clarify how I think that would work:

SHIFT + button 1 or SHIFT + turn FX knob 1 = select effect for slot 1
SHIFT + button 2 or SHIFT + turn FX knob 2 = select effect for slot 2
SHIFT + button 3 or SHIFT + turn FX knob 3 = select effect for slot 3

FX SELECT remains as buttons to toggle between the left and right FX UNIT.

Is the ON/OFF button useful as "Assign FX to master" ?

Or could we map that to toggle between single/multi FX modes. You can currently do that with shift + DECK B (or button 3 we are calling it in this discussion) but that would become select effect.

So this mapping would be quite logical, but would further rely on the BEATS multipliers to be controlled by the encoders above the faders, which you guys want to select effects. These would have to remain as beats IMO if you want your suggested mapping to work - otherwise I like it!
andretti 10:25 AM - 12 June, 2014
Thanks for "stepping to the plate" Martin!!

ASAP I will sit down with Twitch, digest your input and reply.

Regards, André
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:37 PM - 12 June, 2014
Cool André, take your time. I am keen to make sure we get this right for all the TWITCH owners!
BRUAEL 11:30 PM - 12 June, 2014
My hands are tingling with excitement!!! Either that or its a stroke coming on!
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:58 AM - 13 June, 2014
Don't have a stroke plz :)
Mr Wilks 10:11 AM - 13 June, 2014
Well I find the beats multiplier above the fader FX awful. I catch it too often changing the values and would love it to be back to FX select again.

Any improvement would be welcome as I went out and bought an SX because of it. I still have the Twitch for travelling but didn't take it to Europe this year so as I won't see it until September I'll trust you guys on your mapping input.

One request from me would be to disable the sound card inside when it's plugged in with SL3 and CDJs as I want to use it to control Serato Video and FX with the CDJ 900s at work so the CDJs just use the platter and FX, loops etc just come from the Twitch. Just hang up the Dicers for good then when the midi panel comes!

My Twitch goes over the mixer like an SP1 that way. No mapping required as it already is mapped. Just prioritise the SL3 over the Twitch or give us a pop up radio button to select the sound card to be used.

Then your new Twitch map for FX will be heavily used as it will be similar to the Traktor X1 K1 Z1 setup with CDJs.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:54 AM - 13 June, 2014
Hi Mr Wilks,

Quote:
Well I find the beats multiplier above the fader FX awful. I catch it too often changing the values and would love it to be back to FX select again.

If you catch those often, wouldn't it be just as annoying (if not more) if you were accidentally changing effect, rather than beats multiplier?

However, that is something we could do - effect select would be the primary function for those knobs and beats multiplier is the shift function. Would that be an improvement?

Your other suggestion, although very valid, is a completely different feature suggestion to what is being discussed in this thread.
Mr Wilks 1:07 PM - 13 June, 2014
Shift to do the beats multiplier would be good.

I now understand it's a different request so disregard it. I was just thinking the Twitch can't be used as a MIDI controller currently when it should be. I thought we was collecting general MIDI feedback.

Sorry guys.
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:09 AM - 14 June, 2014
All good man, the request is a good one - but we should stay focused on getting the mapping right in here I think.

So you wouldn't be concerned about accidentally changing the effect when catching those knobs if we changed it? If you catch the knobs in Serato DJ, how is that not just a general problem you have in ITCH when using the controller as well?
Mr Wilks 3:18 PM - 14 June, 2014
I think in Itch the FX select worked great. As said earlier, maybe holding shift when turning the FX select could change beats?

I set the beats and leave it. I sweep FX over 4 or 8 beats so generally leave it where it is and I'll have to think of the other functions as I'm away from the unit now.
BRUAEL 5:45 PM - 14 June, 2014
I can solve BOTH of these issues with the beats dial on fader FX.

For Fader FX, have the encoder do the following functions:

TURN DIAL = SELECT EFFECT
PRESS + TURN DIAL = BEATS MARKER

This way you don't need to press SHIFT at all and you can easily change the effect of the fx and its beat marker with one hand (or 2 fingers).

With this configuration you can keep the top-left FX Panel as it is now (with its own beats knob) and have more control over the fader fx!

You're welcome!
andretti 6:15 PM - 14 June, 2014
Hi! Not quit ready to chip in with a solid and studied reply, I will get to that in some time..

In my humble opinion the beats knob in FX panel has to die and get reborn as FX 3.

There maybe 2 kinds of Twitch effects users.. If you are a heavy fader FX user you want it set up for you as perfect as possible.

If you, like me, want to get into the multi FX mode it is an absolute nessecity to have a row of FX 1/2/3 knobs like al the other DJ controllers.

Because the Twitch lags the 4th knob, we need another happy place for the beats knob.

I feel like Mr Wilks. Itch was perfect and just fine, but not supported anymore and all the other goodies like Pitch 'n Time and stuff are nice in DJ

I would be very happy with a Twitch mapping in DJ that gets as close tot Itch as possible. No more, no less!

Like I wrote I will be sitting down for an educated response!

Love the way thing seem to be moving forward again! :-)
Mr Wilks 7:10 PM - 14 June, 2014
I will entrust you guys into a sensible and logical mapping for the three months I have away from the unit.

As close as possible to the original would be good, as andretti said, and I'll be happy but as long as the mapping is logical and all to hand then I don't mind a variation.

Let the ideas flow peeps...
Mr Wilks 7:11 PM - 14 June, 2014
Oh, and agreed with the beats know in the FX panel. Three of them seems a waste and not needed.

Take it out the back and shoot it...
Mr Wilks 7:12 PM - 14 June, 2014
**knob
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:08 AM - 16 June, 2014
Agree with most of your comments guys. I just want to put something out there:

I think we agree that three knobs in the top left corner of the TWITCH will be fx 1, fx 2 and fx 3. To make selecting effects easier, we will also make it so you can SHIFT + turn these knobs to select effect.

Pressing SHIFT + the buttons underneath will still do this also if you feel that way inclined.

Now for this reason, it makes sense to keep the knobs above the FADER FX mapped as is for consistency. It means that to select effect, it is always a SHIFT + turn knob function. I think this helps keeps user interactions consistent. This means Beats Multiplier would remain the primary function of these knobs, but there would be two places you could select effects from now for (at least slot 1).

I am not saying this is RIGHT, but I am just putting it out there, that in some cases it makes sense to keep things consistent. It could become second nature to the user that SHIFT + turn knob is always select effect, rather than having it in two different ways. (even though it breaks the silk screen).

What do you guys think?
Mr Wilks 1:33 AM - 16 June, 2014
FX 1, 2 & 3 in the top corner makes sense to me. Shift and turn makes sense too.

I'd like the shift + turn as i do that on the DDJ-SX and SP1 so makes sense.

The beats multiplier above the channel faders makes me cry like a kid that dropped his ice cream as I grab it for FX select constantly but I suppose if it makes sense and everyone is up for it then it seems like it will stay.

Keeping the FX consistent with other controllers in the top corner makes sense.
BRUAEL 4:38 AM - 18 June, 2014
Im happy with that Martin C!

A bit of redundancy with the Fader FX and FX panel functionality would be fine as it will give people options to use the effects with the FX panel (like every other controller) or through the fader fx (which made the twitch unique from the beginning!
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:57 AM - 18 June, 2014
Cool, so you have no issue if there is a lack of consistency and would prefer the knobs above the FADER FX still have select effect as its primary function instead of shift?

I am ready to write up a proposal of mapping changes, but will wait for andretti, the OP to comment!

I can't promise when these changes will be taking place, and any changes we make must be considered carefully (people may be used to the current workflow) so we do make such drastic changes, we will have to communicate this well with other TWITCH users and ensure them it is for good reason :)
BRUAEL 10:37 AM - 18 June, 2014
For the fader FX knob, can you do either:

regular turn of knob = beats multiplier
SHIFT + turn knob = select FX

OR

regular turn of knob = beats multiplier
PRESS KNOB IN + Turn = select FX
andretti 11:00 AM - 18 June, 2014
OMG The Pressure, the pressure :-0
andretti 1:13 PM - 18 June, 2014
Thanks Martin!

I'm no expert, but will give it a shot!

IM(humble)O:

Martin, your above given reply/proposal (2:34 AM - 12 June, 2014) seems good to me!

Furthermore:

In multi FX mode, there is no need for a function for the faders and the on/of buttons above the faders. The knob above the fader could be only for beats.

In single FX the mapping could be almost as is:

Fader: effect amount (as is)
On/off button above fader: on/off single effect (as is)

Effects section:
Knob 1 (Depth): Second parameter (as is)
Button 1: Second parameter on/of (as is)
Knob 2 (Mode): Third parameter (as is)
Button 2: Third parameter on/of (as is)
Knob 3 (Beats): Beats (as is)

The knob above the fader could be only for FX select

(Or if you want to be consistent in multi- and single effect mode, in single effect assign knob 3 to FX elect and the knob above the fader to beats (as mapped in multi FX) (don't know why, but I don't seem to like this))

Ofcourse I'm forgetting/leaving out a lot of stuff/functions, but this could be the basic set up

Thanks ever so much for showing your involvement!
andretti 2:21 PM - 18 June, 2014
Quote:
The knob above the fader could be only for FX select

(Or if you want to be consistent in multi- and single effect mode, in single effect assign knob 3 to FX elect and the knob above the fader to beats (as mapped in multi FX) (don't know why, but I don't seem to like this))

You might notice I don't like it when a function is mapped to more then one knob or button :-)

The knob above the fader could (or should?) keep both FX select and beats in single FX mode
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:44 AM - 19 June, 2014
Hmmm, so basically you want to keep Single FX mappings almost as is, but change the Multi FX mappings.

I am not so sure about that :S

When you keep the mappings across both modes it keeps it quite familiar. It seems to translate well with other controllers so I think it works. If you compare to other controllers with the 4 button/4 knob schema, we would be basically following the same rule, except the FX section on the TWITCH is buttons/knobs 1-3.

The functionality of button and knob 4 (beats multiplier and TAP) would then have to be taken care of somewhere on the knob/button combo above the fader. I think we have neglected to include TAP up until now in this discussion.

So the only double up of mappings in this solution is the channel fader & knob 1 in the FX section, and the on/button & FX 1 button in the FX section. Thats pretty optimal I think, and is kinda cool that it offers two ways to access the same effect, depending on your use case.

I have put some links of proposed mappings. Sorry they are not drawings, but they should read pretty straight forward. Let me know what you think:

FADER FX area: serato.com
MULTI FX: serato.com
SINGLE FX: serato.com
Mr Wilks 5:58 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:
Hmmm, so basically you want to keep Single FX mappings almost as is, but change the Multi FX mappings.

I am not so sure about that :S

When you keep the mappings across both modes it keeps it quite familiar. It seems to translate well with other controllers so I think it works. If you compare to other controllers with the 4 button/4 knob schema, we would be basically following the same rule, except the FX section on the TWITCH is buttons/knobs 1-3.

The functionality of button and knob 4 (beats multiplier and TAP) would then have to be taken care of somewhere on the knob/button combo above the fader. I think we have neglected to include TAP up until now in this discussion.

So the only double up of mappings in this solution is the channel fader & knob 1 in the FX section, and the on/button & FX 1 button in the FX section. Thats pretty optimal I think, and is kinda cool that it offers two ways to access the same effect, depending on your use case.

I have put some links of proposed mappings. Sorry they are not drawings, but they should read pretty straight forward. Let me know what you think:

FADER FX area: serato.com
MULTI FX: serato.com
SINGLE FX: serato.com

I'm +1 on this.

It's logical and pretty much what I've been after since 1.3 landed on the Twitch. It doesn't break consistency between other four knob FX controllers and gives the option to still control the traditional way.

I've been pretty critical of the Twitch and it's mapping from day one and see this as a step forward in getting some quirks and bugs squashed.

No while you're mapping it you can sort the light feedback out on a few buttons too!
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:29 PM - 19 June, 2014
Can you remind me about what lighting feedback is incorrect? I know the Mic/Aux on/off button and few other things, but I would like to make sure I get everything.
Mr Wilks 9:44 PM - 19 June, 2014
The MIC/AUX (which you know about). That defaults ON when powered up (should be off) and the cue monitor LED doesn't light.

The LED feedback on the touchstrip when in drop mode affects both sides.

I think it's the ADJUST/SLIP LED on one of the sides doesn't work but the opposite side lights both together.

Also, when one button is pressed in the FX section, it's nice to get a short pulse from the LED to say it's been pressed. It has an LED after all so would be nice to see it come on to register a button press, even for a milisecond (I think Itch did it?).

These are what I can think of off the top of my head but as I'm not near my Twitch for a few months it's all guess work!

Once the FX mapping and lighting feedback issue is sorted we just have to get the audio routed through the AUX properly (like it was in Itch) and we are fully complete! Amen to that! :)
andretti 10:39 PM - 19 June, 2014
Hi Martin, Thank you for the schematics!

I see that in my haste I have been a bit short sighted regarding all parameters in single FX mode (only checked with echo FX)

Fader FX area: Singel FX: Looking good!
Multi FX: I agree thats it is kinda cool

Multi FX: Looking good!

Single FX: must chew on it some more, but also looking good!
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:16 AM - 23 June, 2014
Thanks Mr Wilks, I have made certain to have all of those issues logged :)
wingcomm 1:39 AM - 30 June, 2014
I'd like to add one more effects related issue I'm seeing on the twitch. If I Turn an effect on or off, there is a slight blip in the audio output from Serato DJ. Can we get rid of that blip/interruption?

Thanks!
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:47 AM - 30 June, 2014
What effect are you using when that happens? Where is your depth set to before engaging the effect?
wingcomm 1:55 AM - 30 June, 2014
Sorry, I mis-stated. It happens when I changed an effect when the effect is On. More info here: serato.com

Thanks!
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:40 AM - 30 June, 2014
Ok, lets talk over there in your linked discussion, these are separate things from talking about remapping the TWITCH effects area :)
andretti 8:36 AM - 27 August, 2014
So Martin.. Anything to say about Twitch and Flip?

Will we see the new mapping for FX in september with a Flip mapping included?
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:14 AM - 27 August, 2014
Nope sorry, didn't really get as much feedback as I had hoped for the FX mapping, but I am still keen to do it - just want to hear a few other opinions on it is all.

As for Flip mappings, its hard to explain until you actually use the feature, but we couldn't find anywhere for it to fit on the TWITCH.

We were using the parameter buttons in HOT CUE mode for other controllers with pads, but it didn't really fit elegantly on the TWITCH given that the "parameter" buttons are the touch strips. A few other controllers have knobs instead of buttons too, so its a similar problem.

Remember, you'll be able to MIDI map all flip controls to an additional controller, but we didn't think it reasonable to cram it natively on the TWITCH.
Mr Wilks 2:18 PM - 27 August, 2014
When I hey back in two weeks I'll help work the feedback on the twitch FX.

I just need an afternoon with it.
Iván 6:17 PM - 27 August, 2014
Martin, +1 for your new fx mapping. Cool!

And will you add the lost pick up feature for the fx fader?

Thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:41 AM - 28 August, 2014
Thanks Mr Wilks.

Quote:
And will you add the lost pick up feature for the fx fader?

I can't guarantee it'd happen in the same release, but I will try to see where it can fit.
andretti 9:22 AM - 28 August, 2014
Hi Martin, sad news regarding Flip, but thanks for the heads up.

I agree that you might have had little response on your suggested mapping.

This this might be because you (a tech guy) stepped in the conversation and cooled down heated tempers with to the point responses and creating a lets wait and see anticipation (the Serato non tech guys on the forum must have loved the silence ;-)

For me, I found your mapping quite intelligent and a real improvement. The key for me is
to have the FX 1, 2 and 3 in a row so working the FX can go in a natural flow in multi FX
Iván 9:56 AM - 28 August, 2014
Martin, as you know, "pick up" feature for the fx fader is really important to adjust fx parameter or depth in your new great mapping

Thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:26 AM - 29 August, 2014
I completely agree Iván, I just don't want to make any promises.

I am glad you like the mapping andretti, I feel confident about it just because its the closest we can get to a schema which is tried and tested on many other controllers. That why I think it will work - but there is always doubt, which why I hope for others to come forward.

We still look into doing in the near future for sure, but I am hesitant to rush into it, in case others are used to the current mapping (even though I agree it is not nice).
Mixmachine 3:47 PM - 4 September, 2014
Well, I'm not a heavy user as I'm not doing gigs, but I give thumbs up to the new FX mapping..is good to have the choice to control slot 1 FX with both the knob and the fader/slider, especially given the pick-up bug that still exists, I like the intuitive new mapping for the multi-mode, hope it's implemented, the challenge is going to be printing and cutting up a new photo-paper template..LOL
Mr Wilks 5:42 PM - 4 September, 2014
It would be good if Novation supplied another one like the Traktor one that comes in the box.

A Serato DJ one would be perfect.

I'd pay £5.
andretti 6:06 PM - 4 September, 2014
£5??? Thats €6,30!!! :-0

Well, ok then..

I'm in :-)

Please Martin and colleagues make it happen!
Iván 8:17 AM - 5 September, 2014
+1 Serato DJ Skin
Iván 8:42 AM - 9 September, 2014
Martin, the "pick up" feature for the Fader FX is also necessary for the DEPTH / MOD/X and BEATS knobs to control and Selects effects. Without this feature is really difficult to control 4 parameters with the same knob Depth & Select for Deck A and Deck B

Thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:23 AM - 18 September, 2014
Agree we will do the Fader FX pickup Iván. I am really keen to prepare both of these tasks and look into doing them sooner rather than later if possible. However I am worried that the feedback is very little here, that we could be making a change that will negatively effect others, even though some of you here might agree.

Please, if any of you guys have friends with the TWITCH, or see other people on the forum, link them to this discussion so they can chip in with their opinions. I will be on the look out myself too, but that would be really helpful to get some re-assurance about this FX mapping change
Mr Wilks 7:16 PM - 18 September, 2014
Okay Martin... I'm now back with the Twitch.

I'll have a little poke about and look into the ways it could be made better.

The recent update to 1.7 seems to have sorted every issue I had with the mapping... apart from one. The AUX headphone CUE button doesn't light now (but that's not for this thread).

I'll have a play over the weekend and see what I think.
Iván 7:41 AM - 19 September, 2014
Martin, great news for FaderFX. Thanks

We need the “Pickup” function on the three FX Knobs of your map. For example: You alter the FX Depth for FX1 on Deck A, change to Deck B, and alter FX Depth for FX1 on Deck B, when you return to Deck A we need no change until you move the knob back to where it was when you left that deck.

This is not for this thread but the AUX headphone CUE button doesn't light here.

Thanks Martin
Iván 5:19 PM - 19 September, 2014
Sorry, the explained situation is only for the top left knob "Depth", FX1 Depth in your new map
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:02 AM - 21 September, 2014
Ah yes, good point Iván, there is an overlap of mappings there and we will have to be careful about how they interact with each other.
andretti 6:44 PM - 5 October, 2014
Hi Martin, I have tried to rally people on Facebook and understand your point that there might be little feedback, but there is also no one posting a reaction that things should stay as they are.. If there are people out there that have succeeded to get used to a mapping that is not logical, they will for sure be able to get used to a mapping that is logical
rev d 7:51 PM - 5 October, 2014
I'd vote for any improvements to the twitch mapping especially fx and fader fx which are basically broken. Been waiting over a year
Wizzu 10:36 PM - 5 October, 2014
Wow, it took ages for this thread to come to my attention! Thanks to andretti to have posted the relevant link in another thread. ☺

Quote:
If there are people out there that have succeeded to get used to a mapping that is not logical, they will for sure be able to get used to a mapping that is logical

Amen to that.

I stopped gigging with my Twitch (I take it as a backup plan only, and coupled with ITCH at that!) because of the illogical mapping with SDJ (and the touchstrip sensitivity but that's another topic). So I'm 100% for a new mapping: if it makes sense, I'll get used to it.

Thanks to the people involved here.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:30 AM - 6 October, 2014
Hey Wizzu,

We did actually work on the touchstrip sensitivity a bit in 1.7. So if you try it out, you should feel a difference.

Quote:
If there are people out there that have succeeded to get used to a mapping that is not logical, they will for sure be able to get used to a mapping that is logical

I agree with this in theory - its very hard to be confident though.
rev d 9:04 AM - 6 October, 2014
Hi Martin

I think the Fader FX issue is a no brainier at least get that fixed?

Dave
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:40 AM - 6 October, 2014
Yes, I am not doubting that is a straight forward issue to go ahead with, was simply commenting on the other proposed mapping changes in the FX areas.
Wizzu 4:12 PM - 6 October, 2014
(Kinda off-topic)
Quote:
We did actually work on the touchstrip sensitivity a bit in 1.7. So if you try it out, you should feel a difference.
Hi Martin ☺

Yeah I know... I didn't find the time yet to play with 1.7. I'm a Johnny-come-lately updater these days with SDJ, mainly because my DDJ-SX / 1.6.3 setup is 100% stable and reliable for gigs.

Also because the list of bug fixes in 1.7, though impressive, doesn't cover any of the ones that I personally need (which are ALL library/tagging related). That, and I' don't care for Flip. To each his own.

I'll give it a go next week to check the touchstrip sensitivity.

Take care,

Wizz
andretti 6:40 PM - 6 October, 2014
Quote:
I agree with this in theory - its very hard to be confident though.

"There is nothing so practical as a good theory" (Kurt Lewin)

Hi Martin,

Ever since SDJ for Twitch there have been complaints about the FX mapping from forum members.

Since that time there hasn't been one single person writing that he/she likes the mapping as is

That should give you the confidence that the mapping should and can be changed.

I get that you want to do it right in one go this time, so I urge Twitch users reading this thread to get familiar with your proposed mapping and give feedback on it.

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

Regards, André
DJSergius 9:06 PM - 9 October, 2014
I agree with Andre.

TWITCH users were not happy with the mapping that happened when they updated to DJ.
I have limped through practice and tried to recreate a similar workflow to the way it was in ITCH but to no avail.

I could care less about re-mapping all of the FX for the controller but if a new scheme works, it works. TWITCH was not designed to have control of 3 FX at one time per deck. It was designed for ITCH FX which had a master and one for each channel at a time. I think Serato did their best to re-map TWITCH with the new FX layout in DJ but made some mistakes.

The biggest being the pickup function. If you cant use FX no. 1 then you still only have 2 FX/ channel at a time. You cant reasonably use single FX because of the still broken pickup function. I've tried mapping another midi controller to the FX to see if it helped; it did not.

Since I bought my TWITCH this group of users have been the ones who have worked to write up logs and notify Serato about bugs and issues. In my opinion, this is the audience who wants these things fixed. If there are still issues in the future we will write up logs on those. We have been asking for this to be fixed for a year. That's devotion, that's how much we like this controller and how much we believe in the software.
rev d 9:44 PM - 15 October, 2014
Hi Martin

Is there a way whereby you could supply the new mapping as a patch, like other vendors have mapping files, eg Traktor.

That way those who wanted to keep the default mapping could?

Dave
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:21 AM - 16 October, 2014
Hi rev d,

Thats quite a good idea, but unfortunately our mapping system doesn't quite work like that. Our mapping files are included inside the software and there is no option to select a different mapping for supported controllers such as the TWITCH.

If we did allow that though, thats a really good solution for keeping all parties happy.
Iván 8:44 PM - 21 October, 2014
What a pity! New beta and there isn't any new about de pickup feature and remap, also the AUX headphone CUE button doesn't light 😟
rev d 10:01 AM - 22 October, 2014
Hi Martin

I think it's dissappointing that after over a year we still have no indication of when any of these issues will be fixed. I certainly appreciate your attention on this, but wonder if you have the buy in of management there. Can you give any indication of when the Twitch updates will be released? Or should we be looking at ditching our Twitches? It would leave a bad taste and I'd certainly be considering the Traktor s8

Dave
Mr Wilks 12:42 PM - 22 October, 2014
I've been a little slow recently with the Twitch side of things as I got frustrated and bought an SX but I still have the Twitch and would never sell it.

So what Martin and Serato asked us for our suggestions on how to map the Twitch. What do you guys think? Have we got a better solution between us all?

Serato did state that soft pickup of the fader FX will come eventually in an update (who knows when?) But how would we handle the existing mess of FX? Here's what I'd like to see.

FX Rotaries:

Depth = FX 1 wet/dry
Mod/X = FX 2 wet/dry
Beats = FX 3 wet/dry

Button row 1:

AUX = FX 1 on/off + Shift = FX 1 select
Deck A = FX 2 on/off + Shift = FX 1 select
Deck B = FX 3 on/off + Shift = FX 1 select

Button row 2:

FX Select < = Deck 1 FX select + Shift = FX 1 output assign
FX Select > = Deck 2 FX select + Shift = FX 2 output assign
FX On/Off = FX Tap Tempo + Shift = FX Master output assign

Fader FX 1: (Kept as it currently is. Duplicated FX slot 1 for consistency)

Fader FX Deck 1 endless encoder (turn) = Beats multiplier
Fader FX Deck 1 endless encoder (press) = Deck 1 FX select
Master Fader Deck 1 = FX 1 wet/dry
Shift + Fader FX endless encoder **new** = FX 1 mode single/multi

Fader FX 2: (Kept as it currently is. Duplicated FX slot 2 for consistency)

Fader FX Deck 2 endless encoder (turn) = Beats multiplier
Fader FX Deck 2 endless encoder (press) = Deck 2 FX select
Master Fader Deck 2 = FX 2 wet/dry
Shift + Fader FX endless encoder **new** = FX 2 mode single/multi

So I suggest keeping FX 1,2 & 3 together in the top corner and duplicating FX 1 on the fader for backwards compatibility. I hate having the FX start at 2 up there and is just wrong on every level.
I'm not sure how people feel about moving a few things about or duplicating FX 1 but I think you get the best of both worlds when using the Twitch as I'm sick of going for FX 1 and tweaking FX 2 ;)

The multi FX may not be in the best place on the shift + Fader FX press so it's open to any suggestions on that.

Any thoughts? Serato want to hear our input on this so we, the users, are getting the unique chance to influence a product directly so let's use that chance and not waste it!

We could do with a template on here for people to copy/paste data into or fill out so all functions are included in people's maps without any FX function missing.

Hope this helps push it forward. DON'T STAY SILENT ON THIS!
DJSergius 12:02 AM - 23 October, 2014
I agree with Mr Wilks about being annoyed about having FX 2&3 on the knobs up top and no. 1 on the fader. This has been hard because of the "Pickup Issue" on the faders it's easier not to use that FX slot and just keep it in multi mode and use 2&3.

However I have also disliked how having a wet/dry on an encoder like the Mod/X and Beats knobs are instead of a simple pot. Maybe it would work if there were adjustments made to the sensitivity of the encoders for those FX.

I like the idea of having the Shift + Fader FX endless encoder = mode single/multi. But like Wilks said it may just be a good idea.

What about an ALL FX Kill mapped to Shift + ANY FX ON/OFF buttons.
When I want to kill multi FX, say at the end of a build right before the drop (right now) I have to stretch my fingers to all the buttons and press them all at once to turn off the FX. It would be much easier if you could just hold SHIFT + FX On/Off for any FX slot.

I know 1.7.2 is in beta now and there are no TWITCH fixes on the release notes. It would be awesome to get this fixed before the end of the year.
andretti 3:25 PM - 27 October, 2014
I'm getting bored and depressed with this

Fader FX is a big failure. Get it fixed

FX 1 on fader and Fx 2 andFX 3 on the knobs is plain silly and should never have happened.

Serato has never asked users permission for changing a mapping and I am sure they never will.

Serato does what Serato thinks is best.

Mistakes can happen, but need to be fixed
viper9711 6:15 PM - 31 October, 2014
How long do we have wait for a Fader-FX Patch ???
We only discuss but NOTHING happens :((
rev d 6:42 PM - 31 October, 2014
Martin you've gone very quiet....any news?
vasenpolvi 10:21 PM - 2 November, 2014
Quote:
I'd vote for any improvements to the twitch mapping especially fx and fader fx which are basically broken. Been waiting over a year

Hi I migrated from the other threads here. So count me in. Yes, most certainly I will adapt to any logical solution. The Fader fx issue is relevant even though I have been able to tolerate it.

If AUX/MiC is used for fx3 make sure AUX is still operable. I use iOS with DJ Player to get 6 decks playing. This is my only concern here.
vasenpolvi 10:47 PM - 2 November, 2014
Ok, if AUX/MIC can have any fx that would be nice. I just took a look at my twitch and noticed you were talking about the AUX button in FX section (that I believe has been excluded in all SDJ mappings).

If AUX/MiC is used for fx3 <--- this part of my quote was nonsense, sorry
Mr Wilks 10:53 PM - 2 November, 2014
Quote:
Ok, if AUX/MIC can have any fx that would be nice. I just took a look at my twitch and noticed you were talking about the AUX button in FX section (that I believe has been excluded in all SDJ mappings).

If AUX/MiC is used for fx3 <--- this part of my quote was nonsense, sorry

No worries :)

I think there is enough to put FX 1-2-3 up in the top left and still have FX 1 duplicated on the fader as well. This is good for people who still like the fader FX and still keeping the top left like a traditional FX setup.

Well, that's unless I missed something? I think I covered all the FX controls.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've grabbed what I thought was FX 2 only to have changed FX 3.
andretti 8:03 AM - 3 November, 2014
Quote:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've grabbed what I thought was FX 2 only to have changed FX 3.

So bad that it makes me want to quit using the FX. Useless!

Martin; Nobody wants this mapping to stay as is. You solution is as intelligent as it can get.

BTW and I'll write it again Fixing Fader FX is not a feature suggestion but a bug that needs fixing!
andretti 11:41 AM - 4 November, 2014
To bump the post up, think about this;

The Twitch is a dedicated controller, so Serato must have knowledge about the number of Serato DJ users out there with a Twitch and they might consider it not worth the trouble.

I have no clue about numbers of sale for the Twitch, but if you look at the latest mapping for Twitch (2013) in the "Traktor bible" there have been more then 3500 downloads!

Wouldn't it be great to get some Twitch users back from Traktor to SDJ?

A good SDJ mapping might do the trick.
Mr Wilks 2:53 PM - 4 November, 2014
I do like the official Traktor mapping for the Twitch. The plastic overlay makes a lot of sense.
andretti 3:27 PM - 4 November, 2014
I get the impression that a lot of Twitch users are going with Traktor.

Official Traktor mapping is good indeed, but so is official Itch mapping.

Now If the fader FX gets fixed, a decent SDJ mapping appears and maybe a nice new plastic overlay..
Mr Wilks 5:32 PM - 4 November, 2014
Quote:
Now If the fader FX gets fixed, a decent SDJ mapping appears and maybe a nice new plastic overlay..

I'd pay for one from Novation if they did 'em.
andretti 6:49 PM - 4 November, 2014
Novation? Isn't that the company that created one of the most innovative digital dj controllers ever and then forgot all about it..?
Mixmachine 7:46 PM - 4 November, 2014
Quote:
I get the impression that a lot of Twitch users are going with Traktor.

I know two other users of the Twitch, but after they discovered SDJ was full of bugs, they decided the improvements are not worth the headache and/or risk, so they pickup other controllers and use the Twitch strictly with ITCH only, I can't even get them to post here, they don't even want to bother to invest time to figure out the new mapping proposed here....

I personally think the Twitch can stay viable and be around for many more years if SDJ is finally mapped correctly and Serato fixes all the minor bugs left, then users can "freeze" their setups to the last working SDJ/OS combo and get many more years of stable service out of their investment on the TWITCH with more than enough of the latest soft features, other wise, many DJs, unhappy/frustrated with all the bugs and new soft incompatibilities are jumping ship to the competition, and they are looking hard to this new jog-less controller coming out soon...
Mr Wilks 8:56 PM - 4 November, 2014
Quote:
Novation? Isn't that the company that created one of the most innovative digital dj controllers ever and then forgot all about it..?

Haha. Too true.

Looks like the "launch" products are their thing now.
life is complex beats 8:49 AM - 5 November, 2014
I was a happy Twitch User. Ok, there where pitching / tempo quality issues. On Itch it sounded sometimes like the bass got chopped up. So I did no tempo changes bigger than 2 bpm in my sets. I was unhappy but the Twitch without platters and it's simple concept suited me soo much more than the other controllers and there sync waveform view made all the difference to an inexperienced DJ.

SDJ came along before I decided to switch to another company because of the above issue. I bought the Pitch'N'Time although it felt like that should be a part of the Software and not a addon you have to purchase. And then I was horrified by the mapping -> back to itch but unhappy.

Finally I bought a Pioneer DDJ-SX a week ago. And had to see that everything I loved about Serato Software was changed in a way that made it unusable: The Spectral Track View I came to love so much on each deck was so tiny it is really hard to visually see the upcoming drops. The Deck order in my most beloved view is 1,2,3,4 although it is 3,1,2,4 on the DDJ which is confusing. I cannot change the resonance of the combined filter knob (!). Changing an effect during playback means often that audio fails for 0.5 seconds (on a i7 cpu). Ok, there where some good things like the dedicated looper buttons but I ended up with the impression that what I had was sh** despite investing tons of money.

After 2 years this love affair will end on Friday where I heavy heartedly return my DDJ-SX to the shop, unpack my Twitch a last time and then put it up on ebay. :(
And from there? Into the arms of the enemy...
And it is not because I do not feel like my new DDJ-SX has massive potential - it is because the story with my Twitch teached me that Serrato does not listen and that I should not wait for a better solution.
Trance-M 7:49 PM - 9 November, 2014
Quote:
I do like the official Traktor mapping for the Twitch. The plastic overlay makes a lot of sense.

I don't like it a lot. Since Serato DJ refused to work on my Win 7 32bits laptop I switched to Traktor. Many others also didn't like the official Twitch mapping, so made mappings of their own. Some spent up to 200 hours to make them.
Recently I installed Win 8.1 64bits at my laptop and like expected now Serato DJ also works, but since FX mapping is better with Traktor I still prefer Traktor over Serato DJ.

I would give Serato DJ another try if some changes to the mapping where made.
Mr. Goodkat 3:41 AM - 10 November, 2014
if you have 200 hrs to work with a mapping of itch, you need to get a life. i hate when people say that, but 25 8hr days for a mapping? gtfo
Trance-M 8:52 AM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:
if you have 200 hrs to work with a mapping of itch, you need to get a life. i hate when people say that, but 25 8hr days for a mapping? gtfo

Itch? you mean a Twitch mapping for Traktor I guess. But it's far more than simply assigning some Traktor knobs to Twitch knobs. The 200 hours might be the work from different people added together based on the same mapping, but 120+ is what one guy needed and he said he didn't want to spend another 120+ after an Traktor update. It's pretty complicated, also to figure them out.
You can easily find some examples at Youtube.
Iván 11:52 AM - 10 November, 2014
Hi Martin, in summary:

- We need Fader FX pick up fix
- We need the top left controls for FX. Your proposed mapping appear adequate:
Fader FX: serato.com
Multi FX: serato.com
Single FX: serato.com
- We need this three knobs FX remembering the position (pick up feature) for selecting FX and depth or parameter for Deck1 and Deck2
- We need another fixes: AUX headphone CUE button doesn't light

Do you have any schedule for this please?

Thanks Martin
andretti 3:35 PM - 11 November, 2014
Quote:
Hi Martin,

Thanks Martin

After the long an deadly silence, it was really refreshing to hear from Serato via Martin.

Too bad that it seems that communication is dead again
viper9711 4:18 PM - 11 November, 2014
I was tired of waiting that anything happens- sold the Twitch and get a Vestax VCI-380 used in top condition for 280 Euro- great Controller and build like a tank with NO less output problem ;)
rev d 11:52 PM - 12 November, 2014
Yes Martin, a real shame on Serato. Very poor communication.
vadz 6:26 PM - 19 November, 2014
C'mon guys we need to push it through... i don't want to sell my twitch and swith to other gear.
rev d 10:27 PM - 26 November, 2014
Maybe Martin has left? Any sign of him on other threads or is he simply ignoring us? Come on Martin let us know your still alive.
andretti 9:07 AM - 27 November, 2014
Quote:
Maybe Martin has left? Any sign of him on other threads or is he simply ignoring us? Come on Martin let us know your still alive.

Martin is still out there. Found a post in the beta section from November 17th (or someone is using his identity after erasing him (sorry, just watched NCIS))

Ok so we are not the only ones begging for tweaks and bug fixes out there, but Martin stepped in with a lot of enthusiasm, went full throttle and came up with excellent fixes, only then pulling the handbrake with not so good an excuse (IMO)

I ask again; Where is Novation in this?

Are they feeling sorry for themselves and don't want to come out and play anymore because someone told them Twitch wasn't loud enough?

Novation hasn't been acknowledging Twitch for months now!

It was and is a fantastic design and deserves credit and a workable mapping!
Iván 8:51 AM - 9 December, 2014
New version 1.7.2 and nothing new about Twitch
andretti 10:36 AM - 9 December, 2014
Post something to Novation on Facebook or Twitter? No reaction!

Twitch forum on novationmusic.com? Dead as a doornail!

Twitch on serato.com..?
Iván 8:25 AM - 10 December, 2014
Hi, yesterday I opened Serato request 55792 and Novation Case 363553

From Serato:

"...I'd suggest starting a feature suggestion post. You can do that here - serato.com
Our developers go through that area looking for features & update ideas..."

I started

serato.com

It's not a feature suggest for me but I'm following Serato instrucctions
andretti 8:40 AM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:

I started

serato.com

It's not a feature suggest for me but I'm following Serato instrucctions

You are right about that.

Serato/Martin: Please communicate with us!
Iván 2:29 PM - 10 December, 2014
From Novation:

"...I shall get in touch with our contacts at Serato with these suggestions and anything we can do to help in this regards, we shall do."
andretti 2:38 PM - 10 December, 2014
March 2014:

forum.novationmusic.com

No reaction what so ever!
andretti 2:42 PM - 10 December, 2014
On Twitter over a month ago:

twitter.com

Als on reaction!
DJ Demolition 10:49 PM - 10 December, 2014
Quote:
Finally I bought a Pioneer DDJ-SX a week ago. And had to see that everything I loved about Serato Software was changed in a way that made it unusable: The Spectral Track View I came to love so much on each deck was so tiny it is really hard to visually see the upcoming drops. The Deck order in my most beloved view is 1,2,3,4 although it is 3,1,2,4 on the DDJ which is confusing.

Amen to that. I've been campaigning on this issue since day one. www.flickr.com Still using Itch for my gigs...
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:25 AM - 29 December, 2014
Hey guys,

I apologise sincerely for the lack of response in this discussion. I've kept away from posting for one simple reason - I have no news to share with you guys, but I wish I did. There is nothing more I can really say in here that I haven't already said.

I can't say if and when any further improvements will made to the mapping I'm afraid, but I did want to break the silence on the matter, so at least you guys know I am still occasionally reading this discussion.

Martin
DJ Demolition 1:53 AM - 29 December, 2014
Thanks Martin.
Rifter 7:23 PM - 4 January, 2015
Bump this! Twitch still needs your care about the SDJ mapping.
BRUAEL 12:35 PM - 5 January, 2015
Such a anti-clmax to this!

Oh well, I use my Twitch for home use only now, but would like to learn how to properly use CDJ's so I can just use those at the club.

Twitch is like the perfect controller for home use, and simple portable gigs. If you have a amplifier attached to it (like I have, I have the ART Power Mix 3 as recommended by Novation, which brings the output volume equal to that of a CDJ) its just as good as anything out on the market, and with a lot more value too!
DER_FICH 9:17 PM - 9 January, 2015
+1
andretti 7:37 AM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys,

I apologise sincerely for the lack of response in this discussion. I've kept away from posting for one simple reason - I have no news to share with you guys, but I wish I did. There is nothing more I can really say in here that I haven't already said.

I can't say if and when any further improvements will made to the mapping I'm afraid, but I did want to break the silence on the matter, so at least you guys know I am still occasionally reading this discussion.

Martin

Martin, new mapping or not, fader FX needs to be fixed!

Look at wat Sudo wrote ages ago:

"So I take it all back. After using the VFX for a while, it just doesn't work the way I would like it to. When DJ is in single-FX mode, the single effects are mapped to the channel faders. That means that even with the VFX hooked up, turning on single effects also activates the channel FX on the Twitch, making stuff like echo-cuts etc. pretty much impossible. Why the single effects are mapped to the fader FX I have no idea, since without the channel fader pickup they're basically useless. I'm thinking of just breaking down and getting a different controller, this situation is way too frustrating and ITCH is simply not stable enough for me to use at shows."

It seems that using Serato approved fx controllers isn't workable either because of the fader fx bug,

Come on! This needs to be addressed
Iván 12:08 PM - 7 July, 2015
Martin, do you have any new about this?

- We need Fader FX pick up fix
- We need the top left controls for FX. Your proposed mapping appear adequate:
Fader FX: serato.com
Multi FX: serato.com
Single FX: serato.com
- We need this three knobs FX remembering the position (pick up feature) for selecting FX and depth or parameter for Deck1 and Deck2
- We need another fixes: AUX headphone CUE button doesn't light

Thanks Martin
DJ Demolition 5:15 PM - 7 July, 2015
I don't believe Serato has any interest in correcting the SDJ Twitch programming, as I think they consider it more or less obsolete. My (unsolicited) advise is to stay with Itch, which works quite well.

I'm using VDJ8 with mine. It it totally programmable, and I have it doing some amazing tricks.
Iván 6:11 PM - 7 July, 2015
I'm really surprised how easy is mapping in other softs and so difficult in Serato. We're only asking for logical configuration and fix issues. I don't undestand the silence from Serato
DJ Demolition 6:59 PM - 7 July, 2015
I think it's simply because they insist on doing all that themselves, and consequently, they just don't have sufficient manpower/resources. They've bitten off more than they can chew - so to speak...
andretti 8:06 PM - 9 July, 2015
I have written on Facebook "RIP Twitch" because I don't believe in it anymore. Correction I still believe in it firmly, but Novation apparently doesn't.

I think that manpower/resources (money for more manpower) or at least a push towards the right direction should come from Novation. If they stop being interested, so wil Serato
DJ Demolition 8:30 PM - 9 July, 2015
I don't think there's a lot of money to be made in the controller market. I think that's why Technics dropped out... If they couldn't charge exorbitant prices, there just wasn't enough volume to make it profitable.

I have examined the market pretty closely, and that is my conclusion. If I thought there as any real money there, I'd be in it myself with my own entry. I think Novation was disappointed with their results & the stiff competition, and decided to just stick with something simpler and easier.
andretti 9:13 PM - 9 July, 2015
If not to make money, then fix the Twitch to safe face. Novations reputation should still count.

They thought milers ahead and build a controller that with a good mapping still can go head on with a lot of new 2 channel controllers.

If any there is only one fault and that is the audio output, but there are work arounds for that.

Not for the fader fx bug though and not for the crazy fx mapping
DJ Demolition 9:29 PM - 9 July, 2015
Well, That's on Serato.

As I've said before, I use mine with VDJ8, and it's just amazing what can do with it now. I have no complaints. With V8, if you don't like the way it works by default, just change it yourself.
mikem99 7:41 PM - 14 March, 2016
Any updates?