Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Pop & click noises when using SDJ

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane Sixty-Two
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Mr Vince 6:03 PM - 8 May, 2014
I'm using SDJ 1.6.2 with Pitch N Time & I use Vinyl only!
I have a 2010 Macbook Pro 2.4 i5 with 8 gigs of ram. I have been using this laptop since I bought it brand new in 2010 with no issues ever. I have been using it with SSL, NO issues. If I use SSL today, NO ISSUES. But if I use SDJ, hear comes the issues.

Wile playing songs I am getting pop & click noises. It intensifies when Scratching, Mainly on the release of the record. I also get like a random distortion to the music & the pops always redline even if the volume is low. I even tested it putting Auto BPM @89. Pops still red line.

At first I thought it was my vinyl, so I tried using new vinyl. NOT the issue.

Then I thought it was Pitch N Time, so I tried to turn it off. Yes Pitch N Time, did make the issue more noticeable, but the problem was still there.

I have always run the Latency a 2 ms in SSL, But I tried changing the Latency in SDJ. I went all the way to 20. All it did was make my scratches sound like crap, but the pops & clicks where still there. I currently have it set at 5ms.

I tried playing with the Buffer in the control panel of my 62. & that didn't help either, just again, made the hardware inaccurate, but the pops, still there.

I tried updating 62 firmware & reinstalling the drivers. Did not help. I was using SDJ 1.6.1 so I installed the update. DID NOT Help!

I have tried everything & the only thing that works, is SSL. I am currently using SSL with my old vinyl with NO issues. I'm upset because I really want to use my Pitch N Time, But my mixes sound horrible with all the pops & clicks. Its just not acceptable. PLEASE HELP.

1 last thing, the clicks & pops, are random. It does not happen all the time. But if I sit & just scratch a record, you will definitely hear it. My wife does not notice anything about DJing & she noticed this. Again, Please help!
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:30 PM - 8 May, 2014
Hey Vince,

Have you made sure the decks are calibrated properly?

--> serato.com (calibration is done the same way in SDJ)
DJ Mr Vince 6:51 PM - 8 May, 2014
Yes, I have, sorry I left that 1 out. Was trying to remember everything I tried to do to fix the issue. Not only have I calibrated. But when that did not help, I then tried random settings to see if it helped -72, -60, -24 You name it, I tried them all. I'm telling you nothing fixes this issue except running SSL. I do not get 1 pop or click in SSL, but the minute I load SDJ, forget about it. I can send U a recording...
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:57 PM - 8 May, 2014
Is this only showing up in the recordings or all the time?

What firmware version is installed on the 62? (please tell me the exact version number)
DJ Mr Vince 7:05 PM - 8 May, 2014
All the time. in my speakers, headphones, recordings. Problem stops when I switch back to SSL. Its extremely frustrating. I'm running Firmware 2.21
DJ Mr Vince 7:06 PM - 8 May, 2014
But I just updated from the last firmware version to try & fix the issue. I can't remember the # on the last version I was running, but it was doing this on that version also.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:44 PM - 8 May, 2014
I don't know what is going on. Have you tried using your 62 on a different computer running SDJ?
DJ Mr Vince 8:52 PM - 8 May, 2014
No, but I have 2 different Rane 62s. 1 in my road case & 1 in my studio. I have tested this on both with the same results, so unless both are broken, its not the 62. I can try testing SDJ on a different machine, & I am having my friend test it on his Mac & 62. But he is running Mt. Lion. Not Mavericks.. I will let you know the results...
DJ Mr Vince 10:49 PM - 8 May, 2014
I also have a 2.5 core duo. Old school 2008 MacBook Pro. I just tried it on that machine. which is also running mavericks. At first all was well, but when I activated Pitch N Time, things went south. I started getting clicks & pops. Not as bad as on my faster machine, but they where there. I checked the Latency, it was at 12. I played with it a lil in both directions. The funny thing is, Ones I went to around 3, The clicks came like crazy, so then I went back to 12, But they never went away, even if I restarted, my 62 & my Mac. Again it is random, but every now & then I can get it to repeat a lot, if I just keep scratching a sample. I attached some audio. I purposely scratched 1 TT only, I didn't want anything else to interfere or drown out the pops. Listen to the random pops, & especially when I slow drag the record. Again I don't get this in SSL at all on either machine, but I get it on SDJ in both my machines. Can't figure out why.

The attached audio is about 45 secs long, there is 2 pops between 10 & 15 sec mark, But it gets real bad around the 30 sec mark. Again when I'm just mixing normal, I'll only get 1 pop here or there. Maybe 10 in a 30 min set. But 1 is to many if you ask me.

Thx for the help.
10:49 PM, 8 May 2014
DJ Mr Vince attached a file: SDJ pops-clicks.mp3
Download· Permalink
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:36 PM - 8 May, 2014
What steps are you doing when calibrating?

So even at the highest buffer settings, without Pitch N Time enabled, you still get these pops?
DJ Mr Vince 11:53 PM - 8 May, 2014
Yes at 20ms buffer & with the vinyl calibration at -72, & with PNT off, I still get pops. They just come more frequent with PNT enabled. & again, I don't get any pops at all. NONE, with SSL. only SDJ..
DJ Mr Vince 12:12 AM - 9 May, 2014
attached is a clip taken from my radio show of random distortion using SDJ. Listen around the 10 or 11 sec mark. Like I said, every now & then, as I mix, I get a pop a click or this distortion. it happens mostly wile scratching, But as you can see here, it also happens just on random wile I'm playing a record. I'm just trying to give you as much info as possible.

thanks
12:13 AM, 9 May 2014
DJ Mr Vince attached a file: SDJ distortion.mp3
Download· Permalink
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:26 PM - 9 May, 2014
-72 threshold is way to low for turntables.
What process are you doing to calibrate?
DJ Mr Vince 4:48 PM - 9 May, 2014
Its not the threshold. I can put it anywhere using SSL & it works. If I'm in my studio & hit the Calibrate Button it goes all the way to -72 because it quiet. If I'm in the club & hit the button it goes all the way to -24, because its load as hell. I normally just rock it at about -48 or -50. But I have sampled it in every position & I'm telling you, I don't get this issue using SSL, no matter where that dial is set to.

Anyway, last night in the club, I tried SDJ again. I set the 62 buffer to 15 & SDJ to 5ms. & like I said threshold was around the -48 mark. It was not as bad as before, but I def still get pops & noises. Last night it happened more on beats with no percussion or accapellas & not so much wile I was scratching. (I'm wondering if the beat is just drowning out the noises & so that the only place you notice it.)

A note I left out before, is that the pops & clicks do NOT happen when the pitch is at "0"! sorry, I left that detail out before. They only happen if the record is pitched & its really bad when they are +pitched. I think this is why PHT is magnifying the problem. But like I said, I'm getting noises without PNT enabled.

I don't get this issue in SSL even when pitched to +8 on my 1200.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:51 PM - 9 May, 2014
You shouldn't just move the estimate slider wherever.
There is a very specific place it needs to be set depending on the environment you are in.

Try calibrating it manually vs. pressing the 'estimate' button.

To do this first play music as loud as you're going to be playing it during your set.
I usually put one of the virtual decks in INT mode so I can calibrate both decks at the same time.
From there, put the needle on the record with the platter stopped, or, if you're using cd players, press pause on the cd player with the control cd inside the player.

Now drag the estimate slider for one of the scopes all the way up to -24.
Take note of the number in the upper right corner of the scope view.
That number should be stable as 0.0 or -0.0. It should not be fluctuating.
From there, lower the estimate slider (to the left) until you start seeing that number fluctuate. This is the point where SSL is starting to pick up interference which you don't want.
Once you've reached that point drag the estimate slider to the right one notch or until that number stops fluctuating.
That will be the perfect threshold setting depending on the environment you're in.
Calibration is to be done ANYTIME you move to a new location or make major changes in volume.
If the estimate slider is set too far to the left you will pick up interference.
If its set too far to the right any scratching you do will be sluggish.
This is why its important to be using a properly calibrated setup.

As far as Pitch N Time... without Pitch N Time enabled you can still use SDJ's normal keylock.
Have you tried turning that off yet?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:54 PM - 9 May, 2014
Another thing to try changing is the phono sensitivity setting within the 62's preference pane via System Preferences.
DJ Mr Vince 5:14 PM - 9 May, 2014
I said this 3 times already. I have tried SDJ with Pitch N Time ON & I have tired it with Pitch N Time OFF. I get noises with it ON & I get noises with it OFF. The noises are more noticeable with PNT ON, but they are there when PNT is OFF!!!

I will go back & try your calibration technique. But I still don't understand how that changes why it works perfect in SSL, But not SDJ! If the calibration was off to the point that I'm getting noises, wouldn't it effect SSL the same way as SDJ? With all my settings set exactly the same way in both SSL & SDJ, I get two totally different results.

The last thing is, the clubs I play are always so load that -24 is the only option to get the result that you are looking for. The only thing is that my cuts sound like trash at -24, so thats really not a viable option. Yet SSL works & has worked perfectly at a higher setting for years. Are you telling me that the SDJ code has been written to be more sensitive then SSL?

& If that is the case, I say if it ain't broke, why fix it.

I will post the results of your calibration test later. again thanks for your help. I truly luv the product and Just want to get back to rocking.. wish I didn't even have to deal with this. thx
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:25 PM - 9 May, 2014
Quote:
I said this 3 times already. I have tried SDJ with Pitch N Time ON & I have tired it with Pitch N Time OFF. I get noises with it ON & I get noises with it OFF. The noises are more noticeable with PNT ON, but they are there when PNT is OFF!!!

I understand that you've tried with Pitch N Time off. As I said, SDJ still has its regular keylock feature without Pitch N Time enabled.
Have you made sure that is off as well?

Quote:
But I still don't understand how that changes why it works perfect in SSL, But not SDJ!

The two programs can have completely different threshold settings.

Quote:
The only thing is that my cuts sound like trash at -24, so thats really not a viable option.

The threshold setting being that high isn't a problem at all if the noise in the room is that loud. If you were in your bedroom with a low volume than, yes, a threshold setting of -24 would make your scratches really sluggish. This is NOT the case in a really loud environment.
DJ Mr Vince 10:59 PM - 9 May, 2014
OK, I tried testing it with key lock OFF. I had not really tried that yet. ONLY with regular key lock & PNT. With key lock off, I don't seem to be getting these issue. But I would like to test that more. I never DJ with key OFF anymore. But I will try it some more tonight at the club. Why not, lets go retro on em, like the good old vinyl days..

As for the threshold, Like I said that was not the issue. At least not in my studio. With the music at the volume I rock my show at, which is loud but not extremely loud like at the club. The left deck gets stable to 0.0 at -65.1 & the right deck at -66.0. anything higher then that & I start getting 0.1 or 0.3 you know... Still have the same issue. Especially with slower cuts. pops & clicks. Launched SSL. No issues... But will test more tonight at the club.

Is there a new key lock algorithm is SDJ?
DJ Mr Vince 4:14 PM - 10 May, 2014
OK, after testing again at the club last night. Here are my results. I want to start by saying I do NOT think it has anything to do with Threshold settings. I truly think its a Driver conflict or a USB buffer issue or something way more serious then a setting. I will explain why.

But first I tried all your test as I rocked at the club last. I set the threshold exactly the way you wanted me to. & it was low, I would say around -30. I didn't notate exactly, cause I was testing & rocking a club at the same time, but around -30, It got stable 0.0. That didn't fix anything. Still got pops & clicks & tonight was a lot worse then last night. So if anything it made it worse. But my theory is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the problem. Again that test was with PNT enabled.

So I tried your next test. I rocked for about an hour with NO KEY LOCK. It seemed to be fine. Honestly, I don't think I got any pops. At least nothing that I noticed. (I'm pretty sure that this takes very little processing compared to KEY LOCK & is why the problem does not surface here)

After that I went back to rocking PNT. But after about 30 mins, the pops & clicks got so back I decided to try & turn off PNT, but still rock with Key Lock on. That def made it better. But again, I was still getting pops. Thank God people are drunk & having a good time, so no one is really noticing. Because it got pretty bad @ 1 point. about as bad as the audio I sent you. Good thing I'm not sitting there cutting like crazy in the club.

OK, with JUST THE REGULAR KEY LOCK ON, NO PNT. It was still popping, but tolerable. A pop or click hear & there, & everyone was jamming so I said F it. Just rock. Lets keep testing. I rocked for about 1 & 1/2 hours like this & then BAM!!! NO SOUND AT ALL!!! SDJ wheels are still moving but NO SOUND. I'm thinking WTF!!! Then after like 4 or 5 seconds (That felt like 4 or 5 minutes live at the club) Music comes back on, but now both decks are uncontrollable. Like extremely extremely delayed reaction. I tried to regain control by flipping the USB switch to B & then back to A. (A friend had an issue with his 62 one time and told me that reset the deck & fixed the issue) But it fixed nothing. So now panicking on what to do. I loaded a track into KueIt & while that was running, I shut down SDJ & launched SSL. SSL, ran smooth as butter with KEY LOCK ON. for the rest of the night!!!

So in closing, this giant hiccup, that really wigged out SDJ, leads me to believe this is a serious conflict. Like a lack of memory dumb, that finally built up & caused an even bigger issue. IDK, but I definitely can not use SDJ!

I'm sad, because the 1 thing I could always rely on about SERATO, is that it just always worked. I have had issue that I wish you would fix & still wish you would fix (like overdubs reloading as a new import every time I launch SSL or SDJ) But SERATO was always solid!! My experience with SDJ so far is anything but that & its not because I'm setting up my threshold wrong! Please give me more credit then that..

Anyways guys, I really hope U can pin point this issue & fix it! I know SDJ is new & I'm still a believer, so please help!!!
DJ Mr Vince 4:42 PM - 10 May, 2014
1 last note, I see I'm not the only person having issues with SDJ Pops & Clicks. Just think this is something that you really need to look at. My computer is not slow. Yes I could go buy a faster one. But unless, the 62 is USB 3, which I don't believe it is. I don't see how that will fix this issue. Also my computer is way faster then the specs on your website & SSL runs fine. Just saying.

serato.com
serato.com
serato.com
serato.com
serato.com

Serato DJ
Operating System Mac OS X 10.6
Mac OS X 10.7
Mac OS X 10.8
Mac OS X 10.9 2

Processor Intel Processors
i3, i5 or i7 32 & 64 bit: 1.07GHz+ 3
Core 2 Duo 32 bit: 2.0 GHz+ 64 bit: 2.4 GHz+
Screen Resolution 1280 x 720
RAM 32 bit: 2 GB
64 bit: 4 GB

USB Available USB 2.0 port

Serato Pitch 'n Time DJ
Processor i5 or i7 32 & 64 bit: 1.07GHz+ 4
RAM 32 & 64 bit: 4 GB

HELP
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:35 PM - 12 May, 2014
Yes.. sounds like the keylock/PitchNTime algorithm is not working for you (and others).
I'm going to send this discussion to the Pitch N Time help section of the forum and hopefully Serato can help you from there.

Quote:
I rocked for about 1 & 1/2 hours like this & then BAM!!! NO SOUND AT ALL!!! SDJ wheels are still moving but NO SOUND. I'm thinking WTF!!! Then after like 4 or 5 seconds (That felt like 4 or 5 minutes live at the club) Music comes back on, but now both decks are uncontrollable. Like extremely extremely delayed reaction.

The uncontrollable decks is an issue in SDJ. The only known workaround when this happens is to move the USB audio buffer either left or right (probably right considering the processing issues you have) and press apply.

This should fix it... until it happens again.

If I were you I would go back to using SSL until Serato can dial this in a bit more or give you some knowledge to help remedy it.
6:35 PM, 12 May 2014
Discussion moved to Pitch 'n Time Studio Plug-in Help
DJ Mr Vince 10:42 PM - 19 May, 2014
Any new word on this?
DJ Mr Vince 12:20 AM - 27 May, 2014
I copied & pasted this "Pitch 'n Time Studio Plug-in Help" in the forum search & got nothing! Post a link or something. Also, I thought the SDJ plug-in was different then the plugin for Studio work?? & what about the issues with SDJs regular key lock! Is that all the help I get? Seriously!
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:45 PM - 27 May, 2014
Hey Vince,

Sorry no one has got back to you. I'm going to email Serato's support staff and let them know about this thread. Hold tight:)
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:26 PM - 28 May, 2014
Ok.. Serato got back to me with some suggestions.

- with SDJ closed, open the driver panel, move the slider to 12ms
- close the driver panel, open SDJ, move the buffer slider to 2ms
- test

If you're still having issues open Activity Monitor when you're having this issue and see if anything else is eating up your cpu.
DJ Mr Vince 6:03 PM - 10 June, 2014
OK, I just saw that you got back to me last night. I tried this. Still getting pops, & nothing is taking up resources on mac. I'm testing it with SDJ running only..

However I did notice a slight improvement with PNT on version 1.6.3. Still get pops, just didn't seem to be as many or as frequent. (NOT SURE IF YOU CHANGED SOMETHING WITH PNT OR IF I JUST GOT LUCKY) However, I really think I found a big part of the problem wile scratching. After going back & forth scratching with Key lock on & key lock off. I noticed that when key lock is on, the play head is jumping at very first part of the scratch. The first movement of the record, as if it can't identify where it is on the song & then it quickly finds its place, BUT it jumps to that location. That jump often times creates a POP or CLICK in the audio.

(The same thing happens in the studio when editing a file. If you cut audio with out adding some kind a fade in or out. "Even if its a slight small fade." You get a pop or click sound.)

This is happening when I scratch. ones the record is moving even if I am dragging it slowly it seems to be ok, but when I stop & try to start moving the record again, the play head gets lost for just the smallest second or millisecond & then jumps the find it self. Then you get a pop or click. Not to mention you just can't scratch accurately like that.

If you are scratching very fast its much harder to notice, but when you slow down the scratch it becomes evident that the play head is jumping.

it does not jump like this with SSL or with SDJ when KEY LOCK IS OFF! Only when key lock is on. PNT, seems to make this issue even more noticeable, but again did not seem as bad with 1.6.3.

I remembered reading when SSL Key lock first came that it detected when you scratched & turned off wile scratching.

(IN FACT I FOUND IT HERE -- serato.com
Scratch Live 1.7 Release Notes
24 January, 2007 Scratch Live 1.7.0
Key Lock has scratch detection, so that it automatically turns off when scratching for a natural scratching sound.)

This could be the difference at least when it comes to scratching. not sure why it was popping wile the song was just playing unless again the play head is just getting lost at random times with SDJ Key lock. But definitely thing this is a big part of the problem even if it is not the entire issue. Maybe you should offer a Scratch option that auto turns off Key Lock for scratching, If you no longer do this in SDJ. It really seems like you took this feature away & definitely notice it.

One last thing, I noticed that when I plug in a second monitor the audio hiccups. That does not happen with SSL. Is SDJ somehow more connected to the video & video card? I do DJ video at the club, however all my testing I have done at home is without video running. But is SDJ, using the video card even when you are not running video? Why would the audio stop when I plug in a second monitor? Just thought that was weird. Again I'm not running video or doing anything with video of any kind, But if I'm playing a song in SDJ & I plug in a second monitor screen, the audio stops for a second or 2 or hiccups & then continues to play. This does not happen with SSL & has never happened with SSL. Just a question, Could my video card be part of the issue with the way SDJ is coded?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:45 PM - 10 June, 2014
Thank you for the descriptive reply.
This is obviously something to do with keylock.
I'm going to hand this over to Serato at this point.
It sounds like, ultimately, they are just gonna need to make some fixes to how keylock/PnT work in SDJ.

We'll see what they say.
Hold tight.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 4:17 AM - 12 June, 2014
Hey DJ Mr Vince

Just wanted to let you know that we are going to take a good look at all this for you. I haven't quite had time to read the whole thread yet, but I or one of the team will get back to you with our thoughts as soon as we can.

Cheers
Aaron
10:43 PM, 18 Jun 2014
Discussion moved to Rane Hardware Help
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:20 PM - 18 June, 2014
Hey man

Apologies for the delay in getting back.

I've had a good talk about this with a few people and I'm afraid I don't have any amazing answers for you at this stage. Usually dropouts like this can be fixed through optimisation (or upgrading your computer), or changing latency settings.

In your case your computer hardware seems good and your activity monitor appears to be giving good readings. If you have your latency set to 12ms (Rane) and 2ms (Serato), then that should be good, too.

In terms of you video card, is your Mac a 15" or 17"? If it is, go into System Preferences > Energy Saver and disable Automatic Graphics Switching. This shouldn't be affecting your audio as such, but it's worth a shot.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but can I ask you to (double) check these things:

- Your latency settings are at 12ms and 2ms
- You have the latest firmware for your Sixty-Two

Also, are you able to test your setup with a newer (equally strong or stronger) computer? This will help us narrow down the precise cause.

Thanks for your patience, let me know if any of the above helps.

Cheers
Aaron
DJ Mr Vince 3:09 PM - 23 June, 2014
My MacBook Pro is a 15 inch.. I checked & Energy Saver was already disabled, So thats not the issue, & yes both my 62s have the latest Firm ware. Also, yes my latency settings are at 12ms (Rane 62 Hardware) & 2ms (Serato 1.6.3).

I want to maybe clarify what I meant by the play head moving. Its not that you see the waveform display jump or even the Serato wheel jump. Let me see if I can explain it this way. If I am scratching the words "Lets Go" Say I want to catch just the beginning of "Go" Just the "Gaa" sound from the word "Go" When you move the record back & forth slowly so that the needle (or Play Head) should be moving back and forth from the silence before the word "Go", & the "Gaa" sound from the word "Go" (the scratch sound would be Gaa aaG Gaa aaG Gaa aaG) However, when Key Lock is on, that Gaa sound is not constantly in the same place. One second its there & then its gone, like it moved farther down the record (PlayHead). Maybe another millisecond or to, so I will try to adjust the record to continue to catch this sound & then when I do that, suddenly it moves back to where it originally was.

What I truly believe is that, when time stretching a record, you add or subtracted gaps (or spaces) in the audio. when scratching, it is hard for Serato to calculate the correct speed that the vinyl or Play Head is moving, there for it is recalculating the Key Lock speed wile you are scratching & this is changing the size of the gaps (or spaces) in the audio which moves the sound you are trying to scratch, from where is was just a second ago.

Unless you automatically disengage KEY LOCK, while scratching or find away to LOCK, KEY LOCK at the current speed while scratching, How can you get an accurate Scratch?

It seems like KEY LOCK keeps recalculating the speed of the song while I scratch & this is causing this audio to jump. Again, this does not happen when KEY LOCK is OFF.

Now yes, Maybe it is possible that my computer is just not fast enough, & there for the slow computing response is causing things to go out of order. ( a race condition in the software). But shouldn't that be addressed in the way your software has been written. Or at the least do not advertise that SDJ & PNT works correctly on machines this speed.

I not only got this issue on 2 different machines, but I saw posts on your forum that others are having similar issues. Are you sure that you don't want to look deeper into this. You work closely with Scratch DJs, Put Jazzy Jeff, The beat Junkies or someone on an older slower Mac & tell them to scratch slow & ask him if the sound he is trying to scratch is drifting. I can't be the only 1 that notices this.. As soon as I turn off KEY LOCK, the problem is solved! & again I have never had this issue in SSL.

Anyway in closing, I just ordered a brand new 2.8Ghz 15inch MacBook Pro Retina with 16 of Ram & 1 gig of V-Ram. I will test on that when it comes in. I truly believe the SDJ algorithm will work on a faster machine, But isn't that still an issue??? Anyway, I hope it does. Because there are fixes in SDJ that annoy me in SSL & I would love to upgrade for that & for PNT. I never did like the SSL KEY LOCK. No offense, but I always thought it sounded horrible. Big improvement with PNT, I just wish i could get it to work correctly.. At this point Id rather stick with SSL.. My issues are that bad!!!
miss a beat 6:50 PM - 24 June, 2014
i to am having similar issue, I bought a brand new numark NS7 ll a brand new laptop 8 gig ram quad core 1 TB and am running 1.6.3 and am getting clicking while just playing tunes and it gets a lot worse if I try to pitch up. I to have tried changing settings to no avail.
I have even uninstalled windows 8 and loaded windows 7 this did not stop the issue either.
if I reset the pitch to centre it seems to almost stop the clicks but I cant mix without pitch control unless I use the sinc button. and I to am old school 1210 so prefer the pitch control.
I even looked at compression rates of the mp3 and this is not the issue. I play reggae in a club and as yet have not been able to play with this setup I am contemplating having to purchase virtual dj 8 to get it through a night.
miss a beat 6:59 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
i to am having similar issue, I bought a brand new numark NS7 ll a brand new laptop 8 gig ram quad core 1 TB and am running 1.6.3 and am getting clicking while just playing tunes and it gets a lot worse if I try to pitch up. I to have tried changing settings to no avail.
I have even uninstalled windows 8 and loaded windows 7 this did not stop the issue either.
if I reset the pitch to centre it seems to almost stop the clicks but I cant mix without pitch control unless I use the sinc button. and I to am old school 1210 so prefer the pitch control.
I even looked at compression rates of the mp3 and this is not the issue. I play reggae in a club and as yet have not been able to play with this setup I am contemplating having to purchase virtual dj 8 to get it through a night.

also to DJ Mr Vince my lappy has USB 3 and this does not fix it and I have 14 gig of virtual ram set with 4 GB cache and this laptop only has serato and my tunes on it no other programmes so its not conflicting with anything else.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:41 AM - 25 June, 2014
Hey miss a beat

I'm afraid your situation is most likely different to DJ Mr Vince's as you are running different hardware with a different OS.

Can you please open a help request here: support.serato.com. We'll be able to help you better if we look at your setup individually.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:50 AM - 25 June, 2014
Hey DJ Mr Vince

Thanks for your information. You are correct that there will be some discontinuity when scratching very slowly with Pitch 'n Time enabled, but this won't in and of itself cause dropouts. Any issues caused by slow scratching are usually able to be attributed to poor tracking (because we need the continuity of the signal to determine velocity and position).

We are currently collecting info on user reports of above spec machines facing issues to investigate where exactly the issue may lie. I have an old test machine for example that works fine with PnT enabled so there may be further computer hardware or OS issues at play.

Let me know how it goes on your new machine man.

Cheers
Aaron
DJ Mr Vince 7:09 PM - 30 June, 2014
OK I also think we are dealing with 2 different issues here.
1. Drop Out
2. Scratching algorithm

With that said, I tried with my new Laptop. Yes the drop out issue while songs play seems to be improved, However I did still did get drop out. So far only ones, But let me sit with this for a while as I just got my new Laptop. I will continue to test all this week.

As for the Scratching algorithm, I am still getting the same issue. This algorithm for scratching is definitely not to professional standards. I truly love how PNT works (minus the issues) & I really want to use it. But the play head is definitely still jumping & its definitely creating undesirable noises when scratching. I truly think you should have an option to "auto turn off KEY LOCK when scratching" just like it was in SSL. That worked fine!! If it is not broke, Don't fix it!

OK I get that maybe you want to keep it active if you have pitched the audio lower then +/- 15 or 20. But using 1200's with +/- 8, its just a much better option to turn off KEY LOCK, while scratching. Maybe to a laymen, you might not notice all the extra pops & noises, but as a 20 year vet, it truly sounds horrible to me.

I do radio in 23 US markets & 9 Countries. & for the last 10 years, I have lived by Serato. But I have to be honest with you, this is extremely disappointing to me. I was hoping my new Laptop would fix these issue. But it has not.

Listen, I'm not ready to give up on you just yet. But please please please fix this issue. I have been living with some problems in SSL, that have been addressed in SDJ & I'm ready to move forward on to the future. For that reason & because I want a better Time Stretch option.

Please HELP!!!!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:45 AM - 1 July, 2014
Yes, I totally agree.

I'm as bummed as you are that you are still getting dropouts with your new machine. Let me know if you keep getting them.

A new question I'm asking anyone experiencing this kind of issue: Are you running an external hard drive, and if so, how do you have it connected?

I do hear you man. I'm going to be having a good talk with the Products team about both the dropouts and the way scratching behaves with Pitch 'n Time enabled.

Cheers
Aaron
DJ Mr Vince 3:30 AM - 1 July, 2014
Hey listen, I truly Appreciate your help Aaron. I really hope you guys can figure this out quickly.

Per your question, I am not using an external hard drive. But I have some updates.

I rocked on SDJ for about an hour. I started with my 62 latency set at 12ms & SDJ at 2ms. This was not working. I was definitely was getting drop out. I tried it at 12 & 5ms. That helped a lot. But I still was getting a glitch here an there, but again, it really didn't help the drifting problem with Scratching. I will say it does not seem as bad as it was on my old laptop, But it is definitely still drifting.

I did however notice that when I scratch using SDJ. I get these extreme level spikes. Don't get me wrong, the levels always spike when scratching. Even with real vinyl, But not to this extreme. I'm sure all this is somehow related to the playhead drifting, But I wanted to let you know.

On a side not. I found a unrelated glitch. If you Clear your played songs (Make your BLUE songs White again) before shutting done SDJ. When you launch SDJ again, the last 2 played songs are still BLUE!

Not my main concern, but, with that said, It would be nice if songs just turned BLUE when you play it, like in the past. As it is now, I have to load the next deck & then do something to refresh the screen before it turns BLUE. I get that you want to make sure a DJ is really playing a song for the white label playlist, but all this seems to be a little overkill. Also I now have to remember to load an extra song at the end of my radio show, or the last song gets left off the playlist. I wish we could just simplify this system.

& hey 1 last thing. I always DJ radio shows & clubs with other DJs. You never want to jump on the air & play what the DJ before you just played. It would be so helpful if I could look at his or her playlist & select the last 10 to 20 songs he/she just played & label them BLUE. NOT played on the playlist, JUST BLUE in my SERATO, so I don't play them. Just would be a cool feature that I would use all the time. As it is now, I look at there play list & just try to remember what they played. No biggie, but it would be a cool feature.

Lets get this Scratching thing fixed!,

Thx & Cheers back 2 you..
DJ Mr Vince 2:58 AM - 15 July, 2014
a few things I noticed that might help or might not. When you engage PNT, the levels definitely increase. even if you set auto gain to 89db. It still redlines when scratching. Just thought that was weird. Its almost like auto gain gets broken when U engage PNT. I def does not work correctly.

Also speaking of the gains. The level meters are different when in different views. in expanded view. a song will not go passed the third of 4 yellow lights, But when I change the view to Library mode, the same song now peaks in the first Red light. If you go back & forth, it will always appear to be louder in library mode, yet the volume of the song is exactly the same. This same inconsistency is one of the things I didn't like about SSL & thought it was fixed in SDJ, but version 1.6.3 seems to have these same inconsistency that SSL did, between views. I'm a levels freak, I hate when levels are off, so this is annoying cause it fools you into thinking your levels are to hot, but when you change views, you see that they are fine.

Just more feedback.... I still mess with SDJ to test or mess around, BUT I'm still rocking SSL for the before mentioned reasons.
Stickybuds~ 7:51 AM - 16 July, 2014
I'd just like to chime in that I am having the same problem as "Dj Mr. Vince"

I got my 62 a few months ago, was still using scratch live... Then started using DJ for a couple gigs... I played at a festival and it was raining and these weird popping and fuzzy sounds were happening, I thought the rain ruined my mixer... Then used it at a few more gigs on the road, sometimes I noticed it, then sometimes not.

It wasn't until I got home and did some practice sets that I noticed these weird pops as soon as I started Serato DJ and started playing tunes... They were coming through my speakers, and headphone cues... I tried troubleshooting a bunch of things to no avail. It wasn't until I opened up Scratch Live and played the exact same tunes that I noticed that none of these problems were happening. I feel scratch live is better for scratching anyways so I have just switched back to that....

In order to be helpful to this thread... (honestly I haven't ready all the back and fourths but just saw that we are having similar issues) here are my stats...

Macbook Pro 17" Early 2011 - 2.3 ghz intel core I7

Scratch live version - 2.5.0

Serato dj version - 1.6.2

Rane 62 firmware version - no idea, how do I check this... I know I upgraded it when I first plugged it in and it prompted me to...

In summary - Serato DJ - pops clicks and bad noises (I don't have pitch n time)

Scratch live - no issues
Dj Kutt 925 3:36 PM - 20 July, 2014
I'm getting these pops and clicks every few seconds. I don't have pitch and time. I'm on a brand new 15 inch retina 2.6 quad i7, 1tb flash memory, 16 gigs of ram and dual video cards. Basically I wakes in apple and got the most expensive MacBook Pro you can buy with all the upgrades. It's cool if you want that retro real vinyl sound.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:51 PM - 20 July, 2014
Hey Stickybuds

Quote:
Serato dj version - 1.6.2

Rane 62 firmware version - no idea, how do I check this... I know I upgraded it when I first plugged it in and it prompted me to...

Can I ask you to try Serato DJ 1.6.3.

You can find the firmware version by opening the Rane Sixty-Two driver panel from System Preferences on your Mac. While you are in there, try moving the buffer slider up a bit to see if that helps with your audio dropouts.

After this, please open a help request here; support.serato.com, as your issue may be related to your particular setup.

Likewise Dj Kutt 925 - can you please open a help request so one of the team can troubleshoot with you.

Thanks
Aaron
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:00 AM - 21 July, 2014
And thanks for the info DJ Mr Vince.

Yes, we are aware of the meter issue where it appears to get bumped when enabling Pitch 'n Time for DJ. The good news is that it doesn't actually result in increased audio, it is just a visual thing. Annoying though - it will be fixed in a coming release.

I haven't heard about them changing with the different views though - I'll investigate this.

As for the played tracks thing. Yeah, we get a few people mentioning this. We are still happy with the current spec though as there are a large number of people don't want tracks that have merely been loaded to change state.

With the main issue here - artefacts when using Pitch 'n Time for DJ - this is being worked on and should be fixed for a coming release, but I can't give any more information than that at this point.

Cheers
Aaron
DJ Mr Vince 11:09 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quick thought on the played tracks. I agree, I also don't want tracks to change state if they are simply just loaded, but why not label them as played when loaded to a deck & if they end up not getting played. they go back to the unplayed color? This solves all issues. Your last song will always appear on the list & unplayed songs will appear in the list as unplayed. Seems like a ridiculously easy thing to code & then everyone is happy. A few simply fags in the code & your good. Just a thought.

As for Key Lock, verse PNT. I rocked a good 2 weeks with SDJ without using PNT. I wanted to really see if its just a PNT issue & all I can say is that SDJ definitely has an issue with its Key Lock. its NOT just PNT. PNT makes the issue much worse, But scratching with SDJ & key lock on is not good. I'm back on SSL. I say this only because I noticed you wrote PNT is being worked on... This issue goes deeper then just PNT, But hey if U fix PNT & that ends up working, I guess I'll just never use Key LOCK without PNT enabled.

anyway keep me posted..

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:42 AM - 24 July, 2014
Yeah, that would be good from a user perspective if the 'played track' change was smart like that. I'll run it by the Products team to see what they think.

Hmmmm... yes, there are some known, but relatively minor issues with scratching and the old Keylock. It should be the same in SSL and SDJ though so it's interesting to hear you are finding a difference.

I'll definitely keep you posted on any developments in these areas.
djs1 10:11 PM - 4 August, 2014
I also am having the click and pop issue when using Pitch N' Time. if I put it back to the original keylock there is no issue. This is occurring with my SL4 and ddj-sx on vinyl or using CDJs. This is on the version just before 1.7. I also get a strange distortion when I set my audio latency slider to 1ms. It almost sounds like any track is being put through a shredder.
DJ Mr Vince 3:29 PM - 5 August, 2014
I tried the 1.7 Beta & get the same issues.. even after installing the new drivers & all. & Yes I'm getting strange sounds with KeyLock as well as with PNT.

I'm also a little confused on why your adding new features before fixing the ones that exist, But I guess it is what it is.

With that said, I understand that companies have to make money. I get it. Most of us have been using the same software for the last 10 years, But in that time, I purchased 2 SL1 boxes, 2 TTM 57 mixers, 2 Rane 62 mixers & PNT & I've also recommended Serato to an untold # of people.. I also would be willing to pay more for software that works without having all kinds of strange noises. Thats why I went & drop almost 3k on a new Macbook pro only to find that it didn't fix my issue.

Very disappointed in Serato right now. As a customer, I'm starting to feel like U got my money already so I'm not the priority. I remember the days when if it came from Serato you knew it was bullet proof. Now on this thread & with half the people I speak with, Pops & clicks. In my eyes, a companies reputation should always be priority #1. With that you can always make $$$$$.

Sorry, just one of your valued customers venting his frustration. Good feedback for upper management.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:47 AM - 6 August, 2014
No need to be sorry man, I totally understand your frustration.

In Support, as the voice of the user, we very often express the same sentiment internally. As you say though, the priorities of any business is a complex matrix of conflicting interests.

Having said that, without going into too much detail, I can assure you that stability is foremost in our thinking at this time and we have some definitive planning in place to make 'bullet-proof' a consistent reality ASAP. Very high on the list is refining Pitch 'n Time to eliminate any remaining issues.

It does worry me a bit that you are getting the same problem with both the old Keylock and PnT, because the issues with PnT that we know of are specific i.e. any issues you are having with Keylock will not be the same as the ones we know about with PnT (as is the case for @djs1).

There may be something going on from a USB perspective. I can't quite remember, have you tried your computer with another piece of hardware? This would help us determine if either your hardware or computer are possibly at fault. Using different cables, hubs and power supplies during the test would be a good idea too.

I hear you man, it sucks when you feel like you've done everything you can and you still get issues.

Aaron
victor_M 1:20 PM - 6 August, 2014
Aaron E and DJ Mr Vince

not trying to thread jack...

I'm having the same exact issue where I hear a lot of clicks and pops. I did a mix tape for my wife and kids and it was all over the place....I don't have PNT installed but I do have the following activated when creating the mixtape..

keylock
using effects (noticed it more after running effects)
synch (activated but not being used)

I will be happy to try anything on my setup and report back....Let me know what you guys need.

equipment
SL3
TTM56S
CDJ 800
Macbook Pro late 2013 (1tb SSD 16gb Ram)...only used for playing out.
Music is internal
djs1 5:30 PM - 6 August, 2014
One more issue I found was that pitch n time sounds heavily degrading when on, even at 0 it makes the low ends sound pixelated.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:21 AM - 7 August, 2014
Hey victor_M

That sounds like a CPU issue, but it would be best to open a help ticket by emailing support@serato.com so one of the team can troubleshoot fully with you.

Quote:
One more issue I found was that pitch n time sounds heavily degrading when on, even at 0 it makes the low ends sound pixelated.

This shouldn't be the case djs1. Having said that, there are a range of improvements coming for Pitch 'n Time that should resolve any issues like this.

Cheers
Aaron
victor_M 1:49 AM - 7 August, 2014
Thanks

i'll send them a message. it's still a little weird as I don't get the same issue in SSL.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:41 AM - 7 August, 2014
Cool, someone should be with you before too long. We are quite busy at the moment though, so it may take a few days.

Serato DJ is more CPU intensive than SSL so this could still be where the problem lies.

Cheers
Aaron
DJ Mr Vince 5:24 PM - 21 August, 2014
Quote:
There may be something going on from a USB perspective. I can't quite remember, have you tried your computer with another piece of hardware? This would help us determine if either your hardware or computer are possibly at fault. Using different cables, hubs and power supplies during the test would be a good idea too.

As I have stated in my earlier post, I have two 62 mixers & I also tried it with my friends 62. Thats 3 mixers & 3 dif laptops, same result. We also tried different USB cables. always the same result.

SSL works fine. Again its not as noticeable with plain KEY LOCK as on PNT, but if you break it down to 1 small peace of sound, as U would when scratching, I'm getting unwanted noise with SDJ, that I don't get with SSL. With a back 2 back comparison between SSL & SDJ, I am picking it up. & again, SDJ with NO KEY LOCK eliminates this unwanted noise.

I really truly believe there is still something funny going on there in your code. Unless the code for KEY LOCK is exactly the same in SSL & SDJ, then there is a chance that something screwy is happening, & even if it is the same. My experience is that it only takes 1 little thing. You add 1 line of code & suddenly you have all kinds of issues. Just saying you might want to take a second look at that.

Also remember that vinyl is always going to drift more then a CDJ or Midi controller. Not sure if thats what helped create this issue, But it does seem that the focus of Serato has moved away from vinyl & on to other things...

In the promo video for Serato DJ, CEO Sam Gribben says & I quote "If your a purist & don't want anything to do with sync, we have something coming for you" I can't wait to see what that is, Cause so far it sounds like open promises..

Actions speak louder then words!!

Cheers...
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:45 PM - 24 August, 2014
Thanks for that man, apologies for my memory!

I'm happy to be able to tell you that we are now prototyping improvements for the performance of keylock and Pitch 'n Time with Serato DJ (when scratching). The behaviour involved can be quite edge case in terms of velocity and movement so it's going to be hard to find a design that fits all uses, but we're working on it :)

Whichever improvement we decide on won't make the 1.7 release in September I'm afraid, but it is currently scheduled for the release after that. Thanks for all your input on this one man, hopefully we can nail it for you!

Cheers
Aaron
Vic1 7:28 PM - 30 August, 2014
Quote:
I'm getting these pops and clicks every few seconds. I don't have pitch and time. I'm on a brand new 15 inch retina 2.6 quad i7, 1tb flash memory, 16 gigs of ram and dual video cards. Basically I wakes in apple and got the most expensive MacBook Pro you can buy with all the upgrades. It's cool if you want that retro real vinyl sound.

I getting the same results with a brand new top of the line 15" MacBook Pro. It's very frustrating to have spend $3500 dollars for a new laptop and I get the popping and clicks when scratching. I am using a Rane 68.
Vic1 7:36 PM - 30 August, 2014
Quote:
I tried the 1.7 Beta & get the same issues.. even after installing the new drivers & all. & Yes I'm getting strange sounds with KeyLock as well as with PNT.

I'm also a little confused on why your adding new features before fixing the ones that exist, But I guess it is what it is.

With that said, I understand that companies have to make money. I get it. Most of us have been using the same software for the last 10 years, But in that time, I purchased 2 SL1 boxes, 2 TTM 57 mixers, 2 Rane 62 mixers & PNT & I've also recommended Serato to an untold # of people.. I also would be willing to pay more for software that works without having all kinds of strange noises. Thats why I went & drop almost 3k on a new Macbook pro only to find that it didn't fix my issue.

Very disappointed in Serato right now. As a customer, I'm starting to feel like U got my money already so I'm not the priority. I remember the days when if it came from Serato you knew it was bullet proof. Now on this thread & with half the people I speak with, Pops & clicks. In my eyes, a companies reputation should always be priority #1. With that you can always make $$$$$.

I agree with you 100%, I'm in the same boat, I order a top of the line 15" MacBook Pro a week ago only to find out that I was getting the same pops and clicks when scratching. I thought my Rane 68 had something to do with the pops and clicks, but after read your story I see that I not the only person having trouble with Serato DJ.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:21 PM - 31 August, 2014
Hey Vic1

Pops and clicks can turn up for many reasons and what you are experiencing may not be related to the main topic of this thread. As you have a brand new MBPro, can I suggest you go through this optimization guide to make sure you have Mavericks running as well as possible: support.serato.com

If you are still having trouble after that, can you please open a help request so one of the team can troubleshoot your setup to see what may be happening for you: support.serato.com

Cheers
Aaron
Vic1 11:44 PM - 31 August, 2014
Quote:
Hey Vic1

Pops and clicks can turn up for many reasons and what you are experiencing may not be related to the main topic of this thread. As you have a brand new MBPro, can I suggest you go through this optimization guide to make sure you have Mavericks running as well as possible: support.serato.com

If you are still having trouble after that, can you please open a help request so one of the team can troubleshoot your setup to see what may be happening for you: support.serato.com

Cheers
Aaron

Thanks Aaron will do.
DJ Mr Vince 6:04 AM - 23 September, 2014
Hey guys,

Just another heads up. I had to do a fresh computer re-install & noticed that my level issue went away in SDJ. So I did some testing to see what had caused it. It appears that ones you install PNT it makes the levels go crazy. The odd part is that even if you do not have PNT enabled. The levels remain crazy. Ones you have installed & enabled PNT, I haven't yet found away to fix the level meters after that point. Like I said in the past, the levels differ from view to view & they are way off of what they should be. But now I know, its not an SDJ issue, its a PNT issue, that breaks SDJ. I had already installed PNT in 1.6, so when I upgrade to 1.7, the problem continued, Even tho, I was not using PNT. It took a complete fresh install of OSX & SDJ to fix this issue. I figured I would tell you as you said you are working on PNT fixes.. I would def look into this. The level issue was really starting to drive me crazy...

Cheers.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 6:48 AM - 23 September, 2014
Thanks DJ Mr Vince

I have logged and escalated the issue where the levels are different in different views - I'm pretty sure after you got me to look at it. I'll follow this up on Friday when I meet with the Products team. I never quite got around to going through the process of a clean slate like you have to confirm it isn't an issue prior to enabling Pitch 'n Time so that's good information.

I was meaning to hit you up actually, because you'll be pleased to know that we now have some prototypes of a fix for the clicks and pops when scratching with PnT enabled. All things going well, we'll be able to get this into a coming release.

Cheers
Aaron
DJ Mr Vince 3:51 AM - 2 October, 2014
I might have spoke to soon on what I said about the levels. After further testing, PNT does not seem to be whats throwing of the levels. Something else must be causing it, as the problem arose on a machine that never had PNT installed on it, using 1.7.. Just a heads up.
DjDstruct 6:29 PM - 2 October, 2014
Not thread jacking, but i wanted to post that im having the same issue with crackle & pops issue when playing a set or recording a set. Im usng a 2010 macbook pro 10.9.5 1tb ssd.
Its a frustrating glich that needs to be fixed asap. Check out my latest mix that i uploaded on soundcloud so you can hear the crackle & pop issue that us deejays are having. Its a serious issue. You will notice the CRACKLE & POPS right away.. (AGAIN THIS IS NOT FOR ME TO PROMOTE MY MUSIC BUT TO HELP FIX AN ISSUE WITH SERATO DJ)

soundcloud.com

I HOPE THIS HELPS THE FORUM OF WHATS GOING ON HERE WITH SERATO DJ & CRACKLE & POP ISSUE. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME IF I CAN HELP YOU GUYS OUT MORE BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO GET THIS FIXED ASAP AS WELL. THANK YOU
DjDstruct 6:29 PM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
Thanks DJ Mr Vince

I have logged and escalated the issue where the levels are different in different views - I'm pretty sure after you got me to look at it. I'll follow this up on Friday when I meet with the Products team. I never quite got around to going through the process of a clean slate like you have to confirm it isn't an issue prior to enabling Pitch 'n Time so that's good information.

I was meaning to hit you up actually, because you'll be pleased to know that we now have some prototypes of a fix for the clicks and pops when scratching with PnT enabled. All things going well, we'll be able to get this into a coming release.

Cheers
Aaron
DjDstruct 6:31 PM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks DJ Mr Vince

Cheers
Aaron

Not thread jacking, but i wanted to post that im having the same issue with crackle & pops issue when playing a set or recording a set. Im usng a 2010 macbook pro 10.9.5 1tb ssd.
Its a frustrating glich that needs to be fixed asap. Check out my latest mix that i uploaded on soundcloud so you can hear the crackle & pop issue that us deejays are having. Its a serious issue. You will notice the CRACKLE & POPS right away.. (AGAIN THIS IS NOT FOR ME TO PROMOTE MY MUSIC BUT TO HELP FIX AN ISSUE WITH SERATO DJ)

soundcloud.com

I HOPE THIS HELPS THE FORUM OF WHATS GOING ON HERE WITH SERATO DJ & CRACKLE & POP ISSUE. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME IF I CAN HELP YOU GUYS OUT MORE BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE TO GET THIS FIXED ASAP AS WELL. THANK YOU
DjDstruct 6:33 PM - 2 October, 2014
Quote:
I might have spoke to soon on what I said about the levels. After further testing, PNT does not seem to be whats throwing of the levels. Something else must be causing it, as the problem arose on a machine that never had PNT installed on it, using 1.7.. Just a heads up.

soundcloud.com

Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:06 AM - 6 October, 2014
Quote:

Hey DJ Mr. Vince

Yes, this issue is in fact unrelated to Pitch 'n Time for DJ. I also want to point out that there is no audible effect, it is just the visual reflection that changes. This is still a poor user experience though as some people really rely on that visual cue. I've bumped this with our products team.

Aaron
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:11 AM - 6 October, 2014
Thanks for the recording DjDstruct.

Not trying to minimise your issue at all, but your pops and clicks sound unrelated to the issue being discussed in this thread. The best way for us to help in your situation would be for you to open a help request here: support.serato.com

While you are waiting for one of the team to be with you, you could try a few of the suggestions here: support.serato.com

We should be able to help eliminate those dropouts with some troubleshooting so definitely open a help request.

Cheers
kaveets24 3:12 AM - 9 October, 2014
Wow, I'm happy(but very unhappy) to see that I'm not the only one having this problem. I purchased a Rane 61 about a month ago and after properly calibrating the turntables, I noticed that when scratching slowly at the very start of the famous ahhh sound, it popped and clicked intermittently at different parts of the beginning of the sample, making it sound distorted and unnatural. I do not use pitch in time either. The same thing occurs when I press stop/stop on the turntable and the platter slowly comes to stop, it sounds digitally crackled. Again, I have properly calibrated the turntables many times.

It have have installed all the latest firmware, and am running the newest version of serato.

Here are my specs:
Dell Inspiron 15R SE
Windows 8.1 (64 Bit)
8GB Ram
1TB HD
Intel Quad Core i7 Processor

-Krucial
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:23 AM - 9 October, 2014
Hey Krucial

Sorry to hear that man, but if you're not using Pitch 'n Time then the issue you're having is not strictly related to this thread. Could I ask you to open a help request at support.serato.com so one of the team can troubleshoot with you to try eliminate those crackles and pops.

Thanks
Aaron
kaveets24 3:28 AM - 9 October, 2014
I thought the name of the thread was "Pop & Click Noises when using Serato DJ". And DJ Mr. Vince was experiencing the problem regardless of whether he was using Pitch & Time. I already started a thread weeks ago on this topic, but received no response. I was hoping you could help. Sorry about that.
kaveets24 3:36 AM - 9 October, 2014
Also,

I just figured it out. It's the key lock that's causing the issue. I'm guessing this a strictly a firmware problem.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:13 AM - 9 October, 2014
Hey guys,

We've made some improvements to scratching with Keylock that will be in an upcoming release. Regarding PnTDJ pops/clicks we're currently looking into these also. How you can help us is to give us as much info as you can about how you reproduce it.

For us the pops/clicks with PnTDJ seem to happen the most when slow scratching over a low frequency (i.e a kick or bass note). Does this seem consistent with what you guys are seeing/hearing?
kaveets24 4:50 AM - 9 October, 2014
I just purchased pitch n time hoping it would solve the issue and assist you in finding the solution to this problem. However the problem wasn't fixed even with Pitch N Times' algorithm. I now regret making the purchase. Is there anyway I may obtain a refund?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:23 AM - 9 October, 2014
You can email sales@serato.com and enquire about your options. Though being from the Products team i'd recommend you hold tight and jump on the updates when they come out. There's some cool stuff, not just fixing the pops/clicks that we have planned.
DJ Mr Vince 7:49 PM - 15 October, 2014
I've been busy & have not had time to check this thread until today. I can definitely do more testing on these issues.

Question: Is there a new release or beta that I can test? I see that you said you have a prototype compiled. I'm just asking if this is available as a public beta? I see the release notes for 1.7.1 say nothing about these issue...

& kaveets24, your right. It is Keylock that causes these pops & clicks, & yes for me it gets much worse with PnT. The only time SDJ seems to work perfectly is when KeyLock is OFF. So yes I agree with you on that.

However Logan D, yes its more noticeable when scratching slow, But I still can hear it when scratching medium speed or fast. As for the frequency, I'll do more research & get back to you on that one.
DJ Mr Vince 7:28 PM - 8 November, 2014
After more testing, I guess U can say that the pops & clicks happen MORE scratching lower frequencies, But I do get it on some higher frequencies as well. I'm definitely getting some undesirable noise scratching with SDJ, regular Key Lock. Its not as bad or as noticeable as when U have PNT enabled. But it is definitely there. I have tested it on many different macs with the same result. I'm surprised that you don't hear this, as it goes away when you take off Keylock. Its an odd bass noise. Not really a pop. Just a bass noise, well yeah, like a bass pop I guess, that just should not be there. If you slow scratch (zigga - zigga - zigga) with Keylock on & then again with it off. its there.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:53 PM - 9 November, 2014
Thanks Mr Vince, that's really helpful for us.

Have you tried the SDJ 1.7.2 public beta? You can get it here : serato.com

I'd be interested to see if you think there is any improvement using this build, in particular when scratching with regular key lock. You'll likely still get the bass pops if you got them previously but we made some minor scratching improvement which should improve it a little, and we have more planned for a future release that should ensure it sounds good in any scenario. Let us know how you go!
DJ Mr Vince 7:16 PM - 13 November, 2014
Hey Logan D, after testing with 1.7.2 Beta. I can say I think there is a slight improvement. The drifting I was getting seems to be fixed. This is a great thing!! But I'm still getting these undesirable noises. I think its best described as a click. But there is def a noise that just should not be in there when using both KEY-LOCK & PNT. Anyway I thought it would be easier to just demonstrate what it is that I'm hearing. Please listen to this example made with SDJ 1.7.2-Beta.. Its only about 2 mins long & I think it explains it all.

www.globalwidemediainc.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 8:54 PM - 13 November, 2014
Thanks Mr Vince that's a really clear and helpful example.

We have another tweak coming after 1.7.2 that should help a bit, and we're going to keep looking into any remaining pops/clicks. We're confident we can resolve these issues. What would help us is just to keep using the betas and giving us feedback as you have been doing :)
DJ Mr Vince 8:35 PM - 15 November, 2014
Ok Logan D, I will do that.

As for the 1.7.2 Beta, Just a heads up. I saw that the midi map light output with Rane Mixers had an issue & that this last release, was suppose to address this issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it has been completely fixed.

The Rane mixers default is that all the lights are on low & when a button is pressed or selected the button get bright. So if I midi map a key, it should still be lit up & then get bright when it is pressed or selected. However the keys that I midi mapped are off. (No light at all) until I select them & then they are on fully bright.

Here is a picture. I midi mapped the LOOP, ROOL & SAVE buttons to do something different. Look they are all OFF, except for the 1 key that I pressed to engage the midi command. This never happened with older versions of SDJ.

Pic of my 62: www.globalwidemediainc.com

Just a heads up, It could get a lil hard to see them keys in a dark Nightclub.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:39 PM - 16 November, 2014
Haven't heard of that issue before. When did it start behaving like this? 1.7.1?

I'll log it as a bug.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:41 PM - 17 November, 2014
Hey Vince,

Regarding the lighting of the mixer... Have you tried resetting the mixer controls?

This is done by turning off the mixer, holding down the Flex Fx buttons for both channels 2 and 3, and keeping them held down while you turn on the mixer.

Let us know if that fixes things.
DJ Mr Vince 6:44 PM - 20 November, 2014
Hey Zach S, Yes I tried resetting the mixer today & the same issue is still there. I used Bank 5 on both the left & the right side of my Rane 62. & then I midi selected the Loop, Roll & Save keys to loop the beat at different rates.. Loop = Loop @1 Roll = Loop @1/2 & Save = Loop @1/4. I did this for both sides of the mixer. This always worked without effecting the lights in SSL (even though its not setup thru Midi) & in every version of SDJ. It only started to be an issue in 1.7.2 beta. & yes it does this with all the new Beta's including the latest release. (1724859). Turns the lights OFF completely unless U select the button.

Unrelated, Quick heads up, Today I started my Mac & it would not recognize my 62. My other Mac did. But my retina would not. I tried a few things on the forum. going to Audio MIDI app & deleting my device in the Show Midi window. Long story short nothing worked & SDJ would not let me reinstall the drivers. Cause it recognized that they are installed & unto date, But obviously something corrupted them. My mixer didn't even show up in my 62 control panel. Just kept searching.

What I did to fix the issue. I showed the package content on the latest version of SDJ, found the 62 driver in the resources/package folder & manually reinstalled the Driver. Works perfectly now.

I'm only letting you know, cause a. it was a weird issue that I have never seen before & b. The average person is not going to know how to get out of this issue. Maybe a reinstall driver button in SDJ could help.

Just a heads up..
DJ Mr Vince 11:07 PM - 21 November, 2014
Heads Up about SDJ(1724859).

a.
Not always, but sometimes when I delete a track, using SDJ(1724859) It auto jumps to the top of my crate. 1.7.1 & before, does not have this behavior. It makes going through your music a bit strange. You have to keep re-finding your position in your crate.

b.
If you have something typed in the search field. & then you delete a file. Sometimes your crate goes blank or almost blank. example. So maybe that search you typed showed 20 songs. & you want to delete 2 of them. There still should be 18 songs showing. But there will be none. or maybe only 3 still showing. Its extremely random & hard to reproduce on the regular. But every now & then it happens. If you clear the search field & start again. It fixes the issue. So there will be the 18 songs showing. Again this is with SDJ(1724859). 1.7.1 & before did not have this behavior.

c.
Was wondering if this was a Change or & glitch & why? Changing the color of your tags. Not a big deal, but its a lil annoying. You have to hold Control & click the Cue point to change the color. In 1.7.1 & before, you could continue to hold control & still select a color. With the new beta versions. You have to let go of Control in order to select your color. (WHY IS THIS ANNOYING U ASK) If you have to change more then 1 Cue point color. (I do this often). You don't have to keep Holding & letting go & then holding & letting go of the Control Key. One time, as I was mixing, I tried to Quickly change 3 Cue Point colors on a track. By time I got to the last point, I accidentally triggered the point. because I was not holding Control, when I mouse clicked. With the order versions I would just Hold Control until I was done changing all 3 & keep it moving.

Just try'na give some helpful feedback.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:24 PM - 23 November, 2014
That's great feedback thanks DJ Mr Vince

Could you possibly open a beta report for each issue over here though: serato.com

We tightly manage the beta area and posting reports there is the best way for issues to get the right attention from the Products and Development teams.

Thanks!
Aaron
ninjagaijin 4:09 AM - 15 December, 2014
Sorry if this doesn't help but some of my thoughts about SDJ noise -

Compared to SSL, clipping is horrendous. 'blue line' (formerly red line in SSL) in SDJ has a harsh treble clipping noise whenever it reaches the red.. I never use SDJ autogain for this reason. I don't use SSL autogain because of similar issues with clipping for some tracks, when set at 92db. I tried others, 93+ clips most of my sausage waveform tracks, <91db = too quiet..

But generally, a little clip in SSL doesn't ruin a mix as much. In SDJ, any sort of clipping (bass, mid OR treble clip) sounds the same - high frequency pop and crackle.
ninjagaijin 4:09 AM - 15 December, 2014
Srry double, only pushed button once, Opera browser :(
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:50 AM - 16 December, 2014
Hey ninjagaijin

So we can keep this thread on track about artifacts when using Keylock and/or Pitch 'n Time for Serato DJ, can I ask you to open another thread for a discussion on autogain.

I'm happy to chat with you about it so once you've opened it, drop a link here and I'll come over.

Cheers
knox001 11:57 AM - 16 December, 2014
Could it be that there is also an issue with clicks and pops on the rane 62 when using this new sticker lock feature?

I played with SDJ 1.7.2 on Saturday and I had some loud clicks and pops while scratching, so I turned off Sticker Lock function and the clicks and pops did'nt appear any more...
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:28 PM - 16 December, 2014
Best way to determine that would be for one of the team to work with you directly. Could I ask you to open a help request at support.serato.com with all your specs and reproducible steps so someone can look into it with you.

Cheers,
Aaron
knox001 9:44 AM - 18 December, 2014
ok, just saw that pitch&time was activated, so this is related to this...
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:32 AM - 19 December, 2014
Ah okay, cool. You were saying the artifacts go away when you turn Sticker Lock off though? This would suggest your issue is not related to Pitch 'n Time directly (but could still be associated).

It would definitely be best to open up a ticket and work with one of the team to be sure about what may be the root cause in your case.

Aaron
victor_M 5:55 PM - 20 December, 2014
@DJ Mr Vince

I've been following this thread for sometime. Have you been able to test it on the final release of 1.7.2?

Has your issue been greatly reduced.
DJ Mr Vince 11:06 PM - 21 December, 2014
Quote:
@DJ Mr Vince

I've been following this thread for sometime. Have you been able to test it on the final release of 1.7.2?

Has your issue been greatly reduced.

Hey victor_M,

As far as the Pops & clicks, No I have not seen a much off an improvement, if any at all. Serato did however seem to fix the drifting issue I was talking about. I thought the 2 issues were related, but I guess they were not. Because, They fixed 1 issue without fixing the other. This is in no way a knock at Serato, I'm sure they are continuing to work on this issue & I hope they address the Pops & Clicks issue as well.
dJ Jkey 8:54 PM - 6 February, 2015
I have the same issue here popping sound with PnT macbook pro i7 3.2 with 32gb ram funny thing is deck you are going to scratch on you just have to click on PnT off then it's golden other then that only other issues I faced is platter starting slow or stopping real slow after few hours in happens sometimes way I figured around that one is Doble up the tack you are playing then re select next track brings back to speed I guess we got to do what we have to do lol
And last if you have to reset your SDJ bring a 1.5mm jack plug it into channel 3 or 4 and Play a back up track on ur Ipod or phone its works and you won't have dead dance floor with SDJ powered off mixer still works :)
Marcus Anthony 4:03 PM - 16 February, 2015
I am getting popping sounds when playing, and it is really noticeable during softer tracks. I have followed all the articles to optimize my system with no success. I am using an Alienware M17XR3 laptop built in 2011. Intel Core i7 2820QM CPU @2-30 GHz. 16.0 GB memory 64 bit system, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium. All of my specs are above what is needed for the minimum. I never had any problems with SL Live, but SDJ is causing major frustration. When I play out live I do not use turntables, just play INT so PNT does not come into issue with me. If I play the same MP3 file that is popping and dropping out using SDJ on the Windows player, that file plays perfectly. It is not cool to play a soft track at a Wedding and hear the popping that sounds as if a warped, scratched record with an old stylus is the source. Please help!
Marcus Anthony 7:01 PM - 16 February, 2015
If I can play a MP3 song file using the windows player and it sounds pristine, why does that same song MP3 file sound terrible when being played with SDJ? Pops, and subtle drop-outs. I have had my laptop since 2011 and have been using Serato SL3 since 2010. Why now do I have to concerned with whether or not I have an external sound card that I only use when I am recording vinyl? These issues did not cause me problems when I was running SL Live. Right now I am very disappointed for back at Christmas time I focused on my laptop and restored using ReSpawn and have been dealing with getting my laptop back to perfection only because my SDJ was not working properly.
DJ Mr Vince 11:13 PM - 7 March, 2015
Hey Aaron E, & the rest of the team. I know I have been M.I.A., sorry been busy. Just wanted to say FINALLY a big improvement on scratching with PNT!! Thank You! OK, I tried 1.7.4beta & here are my notes. Its a major major improvement, But I still am getting a random pop or click while scratching with PNT enabled.. I'll admit they are far a few between & thats why I say "what a major improvement". BUT when it pops its pretty damn loud noticeable. Really hoping U can tweak that one last thing & we are good. Never The Less, good job & thanks again for finally addressing this issue.

I know I'm suppose to try out the SSL Sticker Lock. I'll get to that & give my thoughts this week.

Keep up the good work..
DJ Mr Vince 12:17 AM - 8 March, 2015
OK, heads up... 1.7.4 beta version is not marking any of my records played. No Blue & they are not even appearing in the list as played...
DJ Mr Vince 12:43 AM - 8 March, 2015
Quote:
OK, heads up... 1.7.4 beta version is not marking any of my records played. No Blue & they are not even appearing in the list as played...

Nevermind, I see what U did. I like this algorithm better.. my bad & good stuff....
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:06 AM - 9 March, 2015
Hey, good to hear man. We were hoping you'd find it a lot better!

Can you please open a report in the beta area with any outstanding issues on Serato DJ 1.7.4. This is the best way to get it front of the products and development teams so they can investigate.

Cheers,
Aaron
DJ Mr Vince 7:44 AM - 11 March, 2015
Will do Aaron E, & hey listen I had a thread going with Martin C about Sticker Lock & Finally got to try it in SSL as he requested & he was correct! I like the way it works in SSL way way way way better then the way it was implemented in SDJ. Really wish there was an option that allowed it to work like that in SDJ. I copied & pasted the main parts of that thread below. Again I would have added on to that thread but its locked..

Some of my suggestions would be Ideal, but could def live with the way it works in SSL's easter egg!
-------

copy/paste:

Martin C 6:19 PM - 29 December, 2014
Hey DJ Mr Vince,

Quote:
Regarding your Sticker Lock request - I think I understand you better, or at least part of it. Have you used Sticker Lock in Scratch Live before?

No, Until I saw the release video, I didn’t realize this was a hidden feature in SSL.

Quote:
Did it work how you wanted it to there? I have a feeling it might. Are you familiar with how to activate the feature in Scratch Live?

No I don’t know how to activate it in SSL, or in what version or versions of SSL that it was available. But yes I will try it out & tell you. I’m sure I can google how to do it.

Quote:
Have you ever used the drop to cue point feature? Even though this would require preparation in advance to have cue points at the positions you want to drop to, sticker lock does work with this feature, and does not break like when you drop to absolute. This could be another way of achieving what you want (retaining sticker position relationship between both turntables).

Yes, I tried all the different combinations available. Thats my point. I like the way it works, But then I loose “Drop to absolute” The way I DJ, its more important for me to have “Drop to absolute” & I defiantly don’t have the time to keep going into the setup screen to change settings. So I would rather have “drop to absolute”. So I don’t use “Sticker lock”. But I really want to be able to use “Sticker lock”. I have discussed this with some of my closest DJ friends as well. Most of us only need sticker lock to work while rocking doubles. (so the both sides match) Outside of that, we are fine with the way SDJ works normally. This is why it would be cool if there was a “Sticker lock Option” that aloud sticker lock to work only when rocking doubles. & instead of “Drop to Cue point” your Cue Point buttons would temporarily work in the same way. This way you would never have a conflict with “Drop To Absolute” Again, its a very cool option. I’m sure some people love “Sticker Lock” the way it is. I respect that. But I think you would win a number of fans, ME INCLUDED. if you added this “Doubles only” option in the future!!

Quote:
Quote:
With that said. even “needle Drop to absolute mode” should also be “needle drop to the closest STICKER LOCK point in absolute mode” If you get what I’m saying.

This particular part is not something that either Scratch Live or Serato DJ currently, but would have to be a separate option if we were to implement it, because there is still value in not applying the sticker lock logic when dropping to absolute too.

All I ever ask for is options. I believe there is value in every option offered in SDJ. Everyone is different & different people like different things. This would just complete the ultimate Vinyl DJ experience.

Let me explain. When I load doubles, To know, that if I already have CUE-POINTS, I can jump close to them without messing up my STICKER placement. But if I want to also pick up the needled and drop it someplace in the record (just like old school vinyl) & I still will not mess up my sticker placement. This is a vinyl DJs dream. Truly the best of both worlds.

OK, so some DJs want to trigger the CUE-POINTS and have them fire correctly. BUT, most don’t want to do this while juggling doubles! Thats why I say its Important, that it Only activates this mode while rocking doubles! Anything else & your back to normal!!

Just give it a thought! Ask a few old school vinyl DJs. I bet you find some fans of the idea!!

Hey, sorry that this was a little long..

Happy Holidays, Cheers!

Quote:
No I don’t know how to activate it in SSL, or in what version or versions of SSL that it was available. But yes I will try it out & tell you. I’m sure I can google how to do it.

Its not too difficult actually - check out this post by dub cowboy: serato.com

You'll need to make two crates, one named "stickersync-cueN" and the other named "stickersync-doubleN". You could replace N with B or F depending on what spin mode you want to use. D disables the feature but leaves the crate there. Give it a go, I feel like it might be what - specifically the way instant doubles works in this this instance.

Quote:
I defiantly don’t have the time to keep going into the setup screen to change settings

We made the settings screen MIDI mappable, so there is an option for quickly disabling and enabling.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:07 PM - 11 March, 2015
Ah okay, best bet with that would be to start a new thread in the Feature Suggestions area. You could copy and paste your thread with Martin as the opening post and then see what other people think.

The products team roll through that area regularly so it's the best place to have spec discussions.

Cheers
DJ Mr Vince 11:11 PM - 13 March, 2015
Quote:
Ah okay, best bet with that would be to start a new thread in the Feature Suggestions area. You could copy and paste your thread with Martin as the opening post and then see what other people think.

The products team roll through that area regularly so it's the best place to have spec discussions.

Cheers

Aaron E, maybe I'm just slow.. LOL... But, I have no idea how to start a threat on the Feature Suggestions page. I have always found this forum to be overly complicated to navigate & engage in. I searched "Feature Suggestions" & "Sticker Lock" I found nothing under sticker lock & way to many threads to look thru under featured Suggestions. However, the first 30 had nothing about Sticker Lock. Please help.. LOL

Would really be nice if when you tell people to
Quote:
start a new thread in the Feature Suggestions area.
you just put a direct link to the area in question like this: serato.com . I can never seem to find any of the places I'm directed to.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:57 PM - 15 March, 2015
Yeah, fair enough man. We are planning to simplify things a lot soon so that should help.

Here's the link to the feature suggestion area: serato.com. Click the 'Start a Discussion' button at the top.

Cheers
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.