Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SDJ and Rane Control panel refuse to see SL3 but SSL still does.

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Marv Incredible 9:46 PM - 11 February, 2014
After spending a frutrating 2 hours with no success, I'm opening this support ticket.

SL3 was working perfectly with SSL 2.5, running firmware 2.31
Installed Serato DJ.
On launch, the dside window said to install drivers. Did that. Restarted.
Upon restart, SDJ now says Serato DJ is activated, but I must attach supported device.
No amount of unplugging and replugging the SL3 does anything.
Tried opening SL3 control panel. Says no SL3 connected and just keeps searching for one, no matter how many times I unplug/replug it.
Looked on forums and site. Followed all given instructions. Nothing worked.
cant update firmware because can't get SL3 control panel to see SL3.
Opened SSL 2.5 again to see if it still sees SL3 and it does. Checked firmware. 2.31
Opened Audio MIDI utilitiy and looked for SL3, as instructed by Rane as a way to delete the SL3 driver package. Not listed.
Tried running the uninstall pkg from when I first installed the SL3 drivers. Nothing.
Deleted control panel manually.
Re-installed SDJ several times. No 'Install Drivers button shown.
Re-downloaded SSL 2.5. Re-installed the SL3 drivers that come with it. Control panel is now back, but still refuses to recognise SL3.
Launch Serato DJ (after another fresh install). Now ithe Install Drivers button is back.
Install drivers. Restart. Open SDJ. Same thing as before. SDJ activated. Asking to attach supported device.
Try opening SL3 control panel. Same as before. Stuck on search.

Over to you.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:08 PM - 11 February, 2014
download Scratchlive 2.5 open up the scratchlive 2.5 file then you will see a folder Rane drivers click on that then click on sl-3 you should see an uninstall command. Do that.

Then goto your applications folder find serato dj right click then go to open 'Show package contents'' then contents then resources then packages then install the sl-3.

Does it work now?
Marv Incredible 1:54 AM - 12 February, 2014
I'm not able to try it right now but I will try this when I get back.
Not sure if I'll make it past the first hurdle though because I already tried running that same uninstaller earlier and it didn't work. Hence why I had to delete the control panel manually. But let me try again tomorrow and report back. Cheers.
Marv Incredible 7:45 PM - 12 February, 2014
Right. Just tried it again and I'm not getting past the uninstaller part because it's asking for a password, even though there is no password for this machine. Leaving it blank and hitting return isn't working either; it just keeps asking me for a password I don't have.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:13 PM - 12 February, 2014
Hmm ok that seems very strange!! skip that part and try what i said about the driver in serato dj.

goto your applications folder find serato dj right click then go to open 'Show package contents'' then contents then resources then packages then install the sl-3.
Marv Incredible 9:13 PM - 12 February, 2014
no. After doing that, it's still foobar.

Control panel stuck on search. SDJ says activated but directs me to attach compatible device.

Clearly nothing much I can do from my end. This is a Rane/Serato issue. Would appreciate some input guys.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:16 PM - 12 February, 2014
This might help

Quit all programs completely.

1. Open your Macintosh HD drive.
2. Click on your HD icon.
3. Click on 'system'.
4. Click 'library'.
5. Click 'Extentions'.
6. Delete the 'SeratoScratchDriver.kext'.

7. Delete any other Rane hardware .kext files such as SL2.kext, SL3.kext, SL4.kext, Sixty-One.Kext, Sixty-Two.kext, and Sixty-Eight.kext.

Try and delete and uninstall the lot!

Then start again, But yes at this point be great to here from RANE.
Marv Incredible 11:19 PM - 13 February, 2014
Right. First, thanks for your help.

2nd, it still didn't work.

Deleted all the kernels and the SL3 control panel and restarted.

Upon reboot, everything was gone and on opening SDJ, it said it detected the SL3 and said I needed to install drivers. So far so good.

Closed SDJ, went to the SDJ package in Applications. Showed package contents, followed the steps and installed the driver that way.

After restart, launched SDJ again, which now it said it was activated but that I need to attach a compatible device. Closed SDJ.

Launched SL3 control panel. Still searching for an undetected SL3 device. Close.

Launched Scratch Live 2.5. Blue LED on SL3 finally lights up and sure enough, two virtual decks appear as normal in SSL.

Try launching control panel while SSL still open. Still searching. Close control panel. Close SSL.

Try launching SDJ to see if it works now that SSL has successfully recognised SL3. No. SDJ activated, but no device present.

:(

Need Rane to the rescue. Was told someone will look into this and be along shortly, hopefully with some answers.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:17 PM - 14 February, 2014
Wow.. it does sound like you've tried everything. I've been running into other connection issues that I haven't been able to get sorted either.
I'm going to forward this post to our engineer team and see if there is anything else we can try. Hold tight.
Marv Incredible 2:09 PM - 15 February, 2014
Thanks Zach. Standing by.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:52 PM - 15 February, 2014
Yes this is defo a strange one!
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:07 PM - 15 February, 2014
Marv not sure if this will help the rane guys out but can you upload your macs system profile to here at the Attach A File button.

Goto apple logo > About this mac > More info. > System report > Goto File then Save.

That might have some info in there that could be useful.
Dj Koppa Top 7:18 PM - 15 February, 2014
I got similar issues with SeratoDJ 1.6 recognizing the SL3 . Works perfect with SSL 2.5. Im Using Windows 7 32 bit.
8:24 PM, 15 Feb 2014
Marv Incredible attached a file: Marv incredible MacBook Pro.spx
Download· Permalink
Dj Koppa Top 8:48 PM - 15 February, 2014
Ok got it to recognize the SL3 but it crashes SeratoDJ.
Dj Koppa Top 12:15 PM - 8 March, 2014
Solution to the crash found but issue unresolved. I loaded a flash drive with a few crates and all is well, so this is short term hope an update is in the pipeline.

serato.com
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:26 PM - 8 March, 2014
Quote:
Solution to the crash found but issue unresolved. I loaded a flash drive with a few crates and all is well, so this is short term hope an update is in the pipeline.

serato.com

This has 100% nothing todo with this thread!

But the solution to your issues and that thread is to use this patch -> www.maketecheasier.com
Dj Koppa Top 12:39 PM - 8 March, 2014
Quote:

This has 100% nothing todo with this thread!

But the solution to your issues and that thread is to use this patch -> www.maketecheasier.com

I was experiencing the same issue like Marv at first with the box not being recognized also that why I posted that here.

FYI i am on 32 bit so that doesn't apply.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:50 PM - 8 March, 2014
He is on a mac NOT windows so no it is not same issue. But thanks for trying lol

I would upgrade to 64bit if you want to use a large library with sdj.
Zephirnl 11:54 AM - 9 March, 2014
Just tagging this thread as I'm having the EXACT same issue, although I'm experiencing it in Mavericks. My original help request: serato.com

@Marv Incredible: What kind of mac do you use? In my case I've also tried it on an older MacBook (intel core duo) and this one works, although the lack of processing power and memory makes SDJ buggy. But on my MacBook Air 2013 nothing seems to help :(
J3EES 10:40 PM - 12 November, 2014
did anything get resolved with this request? I am having the same problem after installing sdj 1.6.3.

Any progress?

Thanks
Tungsten 11:05 PM - 12 November, 2014
Same problems here. RANE SL3 hardware is not detected by Serato DJ and also not detected by the SL3 Preference Pane. Upgraded Serato DJ from 1.6.3 to 1.7.1 and the application and driver installation completed successfully. Rebooted and SL3 not recognized by either SDJ App or SL3 PP.

FWIW - I plugged my SL3 into another PC (Win7) and it was recognized by both the SL3 Control Panel and Serato DJ apps. The SL3 CP in Win7 shows Firmware v2.50 is installed.

Has anyone had any luck getting their SL3 working again on a Mac?

Thanks,

Mark
Tungsten 4:41 PM - 13 November, 2014
UPDATE: I completely removed SDJ 1.7.1 and the SL3 drivers, rebooted and reinstalled SDJ 1.6.3 and now things are working normally again. SL3 was recognized by both the SL3 PP and SDJ. Playback and Vinyl Control are working.

Additional Info: I recently upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite. It appears that SDJ 1.7.1 is NOT working and/or supported with Yosemite. There are dozens of other threads on this subject.

It would probably be helpful and save half the time wasted by users and support staff if Serato could print in big, bold, flashing letters on the Serato DJ download page that 1.7.1 should not be downloaded or used on Yosemite systems!!! I am aware that 10.9 (Mavericks) is listed under the MINIMUM requirements and 10.10 (Yosemite) is not specifically called out.

Thanks,

Mark
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:53 PM - 13 November, 2014
There is new drivers in the 1.7.2beta for Yosemite and those drivers also work with 1.7.1
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:41 PM - 13 November, 2014
We are seeing this problem after people update to Yosemite and install SDJ and THEN go install the current Rane drivers from our Rane website.
We're adding notes to our download pages today stating NOT to do that.
The fix is to delete the .Kext driver and then open SDJ to update the driver within the program.

3. Click on 'system'.
4. Click 'library'.
5. Click 'Extentions'.
6. Delete the Rane device driver for the device you use. (SL2, SL3, SL4, Sixty-One, Sixty-two, Sixty-Eight, Sixty-Four.kext files)
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:36 PM - 13 November, 2014
Not true people upgrade then rane device no longer works. Even deleting the kext files make no difference the new drivers in 1.7.2beta works and so do the drivers before 1.7.0 but the driver for 1.7.0/1.7.1 does not work.

So its go to 1.6.3 and use that version and driver or download the 1.7.2install that driver then you can go back to version 1.7.1 and it will work as its using the new updated Rane driver.

At least this has been the resaults so far. But for other people all the version work and all drivers.

It is strange.
danield 10:07 PM - 20 November, 2014
I have the EXACT same situation !

Been using Scratch Live with SL3 for years with no issues, then bought a new Akai AFX and wanted to move to Serato DJ to use the controller and all headache started !

Serato DJ first asked to update drivers, restarted, and now it can't see my SL3 anymore and the control panel says the infamous 'SL3 is not connected'.

I'm a Serato user since 2005 and so far only good things. Too bad now this problem started...

What the heck is going on here ? : (
danield 10:08 PM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
We are seeing this problem after people update to Yosemite and install SDJ and THEN go install the current Rane drivers from our Rane website.
The fix is to delete the .Kext driver and then open SDJ to update the driver within the program.

3. Click on 'system'.
4. Click 'library'.
5. Click 'Extentions'.
6. Delete the Rane device driver for the device you use. (SL2, SL3, SL4, Sixty-One, Sixty-two, Sixty-Eight, Sixty-Four.kext files)

I have updated the drivers INSIDE Serato DJ and the problem happened exactly as described in the first post of this topic.
danield 11:29 PM - 20 November, 2014
I could fix the problem doing this :

1 - Installed the Serato DJ 1.7.2 BETA, opened it and it asked to update drivers for SL3
2 - Restarted the computer
3 - Reinstalled Serato DJ 1.7.1

Works fine now :)
lindsaymar 6:16 PM - 30 November, 2014
Quote:

3. Click on 'system'.
4. Click 'library'.
5. Click 'Extentions'.

What you describe being the cause is exactly what I did. The fix however doesn't work for me.
During the re-installation of the Rane SL3 driver kind of hangs itself during the "Registering Updated Components" part of the install. Going to 'force quit' the installation will sometimes help the install kick through to the end. But it still doesn't register my sl3 box when I open SDJ afterwards.
lindsaymar 6:45 PM - 30 November, 2014
Quote:

1 - Installed the Serato DJ 1.7.2 BETA, opened it and it asked to update drivers for SL3

YES!!!!!!!!
This worked for me.

Just some notes:
1) I deleted the kext file like described by Zach S before opening the 1.7.2 Beta (to force it to upgrade - I'm not sure if that was necessary)
2) I didn't reinstall 1.7.1. I just kept the 1.7.1 version on my computer to be easily opened after downloading the firmware update from within 1.7.2 Beta.

Thank you Danield!!!
utradar 6:31 AM - 1 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

YES!!!!!!!!
This worked for me.

Just some notes:
1) I deleted the kext file like described by Zach S before opening the 1.7.2 Beta (to force it to upgrade - I'm not sure if that was necessary)
2) I didn't reinstall 1.7.1. I just kept the 1.7.1 version on my computer to be easily opened after downloading the firmware update from within 1.7.2 Beta.

Thank you Danield!!!

This also worked for me on Yosemite 10.10 on my air from last year on a 62.
DJ RED23 8:24 AM - 8 December, 2014
I was having the same problem as above and I did install the new beta 1.7.2 and it asked me to update the drivers and after restarting it's working for me. Even 1.7.1 is working fine. I'm running Yosemite on my MBP. Hope this helps other as well.
kuldeepsingh 12:41 PM - 5 February, 2015
Went to rane website sl3 section. Downloaded the latest driver, installed and rebooted. Works. No need to in install re install serato versions etc. try it out
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.