Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SL3 is not recognized after installing drivers

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Zephirnl 8:18 PM - 27 February, 2014
I've installed Serato DJ on OSX Mavericks (Macbook Air 2013/14) & on first connect in the 'online' panel i clicked to install drivers for my SL3.

After reboot the SL3 is not recognized. When I open the settings panel for the SL3, it keeps searching until I get a popup saying "unable to connect, please reinstall the driver for proper operation."

I have removed and reinstalled the drivers as noted in a thread about a similar issue for SL2. But this issue seems to keep me from connecting.

In that other thread someone also suggested it may be because of the USB3.0 ports.

Any help is deeply appreciated!
8:18 PM, 27 Feb 2014
Zephirnl attached a file: Screen Shot 2014-02-27 at 21.16.09.png
View· Permalink
Zephirnl 8:23 PM - 27 February, 2014
I've just installed Scratch Live and that picks up the Rane SL3 without any problem. I'm confused.
Zephirnl 8:25 PM - 27 February, 2014
Scratch live shows SL3 Firmware v2.31
On an older Mabook (white) stuck on Mountain Lion it also works almost flawlessly (but struggling with keymatch and pitch ranges sometimes.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:11 PM - 4 March, 2014
Hey Zephirnl,

You need to update the firmware by clicking on the SL3 Preference Pane via System Preferences and clicking the 'update firmware' tab.
Zephirnl 7:43 AM - 6 March, 2014
Hi Zach, thanks for your reply.

I have updated the firmware. The SL3 is working on an older MacBook with Serato DJ. I have also been using it with the Beta ever since it has supported SL3 (on this older macbook w/ Mountain Lion).

On my newer Macbook Air (2013 model) I have installed the drivers as described above, but after doing so, the SL3 panel does not load and the SL3 is not recognized by Serato DJ, while it does work with Scratch Live.

I've tried reinstalling the RaneSL3_1.3.4f1.pkg which is inside the resources folder of the Serato DJ.app package but the SL3 prefpane keeps searching until a message pops up "unable to connect, please reinstall the driver for proper operation."
Zephirnl 8:10 AM - 6 March, 2014
Small update:
I have now updated the firmware on the SL3 to 2.5.0 using my older MacBook where everything works as it should.

But on the MacBook Air w/Mavericks still no SL3 in the prefpane or Serato DJ.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:42 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
But on the MacBook Air w/Mavericks still no SL3 in the prefpane or Serato DJ.

What OS is on this computer?

Do you not even see the SL3 icon in System Preferences?
Zephirnl 8:09 AM - 7 March, 2014
Zach, as posted in the details on top:

The faulty situation is on the MacBook Air 2013 w/ OSX 10.9.2 Mavericks. On this macbook, SSL works perfectly. However, Serato DJ does not recognize the SL3. The prefpane for the SL3 is installed, but when I open this, it also fails to detect the SL3, saying "unable to connect, please reinstall the driver for proper operation."

The SL3 has been upgraded to the most recent firmware using an older macbook with an older OS where the SL3 is recognized properly by both Serato DJ and the prefpane.

(I hope the above summary is now sufficiently clear. The lack of editing in this forum has made my problems a bit unclear. sorry for that!)
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:00 PM - 7 March, 2014
Ok.. I got it.

Do you have any other USB devices plugged into the MB?
If so, if you unplug them and re-open SDJ do you get the option to update the driver?
If not, if you unplug and replug the SL3 does that option show up?
Zephirnl 11:44 AM - 8 March, 2014
So, i checked your advice and it didn't help.

Also, I found uninstaller scripts in the scratch live package. After running those for the SL3, rebooting and then starting Serato DJ, I got prompted to install the driver upon plugging in the SL3.

This is where I was hopeful again. However, after installing the driver via Serato DJ & rebooting, the SL3 fell back to not being recognized again (in either DJ or SL3 prefpane).

I'm starting to think it will take a full reinstall of Mavericks to get this to work :-s
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:37 PM - 10 March, 2014
Try creating a new user and installing SDJ on that.
Zephirnl 7:35 PM - 19 March, 2014
Tried it, same result (none).
Quote:
Try creating a new user and installing SDJ on that.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:26 PM - 19 March, 2014
I suppose a full reinstall may be the next step:(
music man 10:14 PM - 24 March, 2014
I have pretty much the same problem with SL2 and OSX 10.9.2
Any solution?
Did the full reinstall helped?
10:10 PM, 10 Jun 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.