DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ ethics

PumpkinHead 6:20 PM - 8 November, 2013
We all talk about DJ etiquette and the like, but if you were to write an official DJ Code of Ethics what would you put in it?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:44 PM - 8 November, 2013
Words
Thundercat 8:31 PM - 8 November, 2013
The topic is an oxymoron
DJ Mozo 8:55 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Words

maybe a few pictures?
Dj Shamann 8:58 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Words

maybe a few pictures?

I like to do drawrings.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:03 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Words

maybe a few pictures?

I like to do drawrings.

Color?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:03 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Words

maybe a few pictures?

How about a bookmark!
RobDJ dotcom 9:12 PM - 8 November, 2013
The whole thing should be only lyrics:

"Kill or be killed"
-Do or Die

"Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk. Phony n!gg@$ are outlined in chalk"
-WuTang Clan

"Get up, get out, and get something"
-Outkast
Thundercat 11:33 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:
The whole thing should be only lyrics:

I'm in

Industry rule number four thousand and eighty
Record company people are shady
So kids watch your back cause I think they smoke crack
I don't doubt it. Look at how they act
-Tribe Called Quest
PumpkinHead 3:04 AM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
The topic is an oxymoron

Interesting. Care to elaborate?
eugguy 12:44 PM - 9 November, 2013
DJs are always trying to get away with stealing/playing others songs, beats, samples. It is the true nature of djing. Don't get more unethical than that. Pretty oxymoronical.
PumpkinHead 12:50 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
DJs are always trying to get away with stealing/playing others songs, beats, samples. It is the true nature of djing. Don't get more unethical than that. Pretty oxymoronical.

Right, I hear what you're saying and I think that the stealing part does create an issue when talking about ethics. But as you've said, the very nature of the job is to play other peoples music (legally), it's not unethical to do that is it? Or is it? Would you be so bold to say that the occupation as a whole is unethical?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:33 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
Would you be so bold to say that the occupation as a whole is unethical?

No, the Occupation itself is as LEGAL and ENTERTAINING as it gets.

The problem is that MOST DJ's don't understand the literal legality of what they're doing.

In short, unless you're on a radio station that has their playlist scanned by ASCAP, or in a place that has some type of setup to pay licensing fees for "Public Performance" of EVERY song that you choose to play, you're "Literally" breaking the law because you don't have permission to play said song for "Public Performance".

Most songs that you receive on some type of media (vinyl, CD, cassette, etc) have a stipulation that it's not intended for "Public Performance" without permission.

Does anybody REALLY enforce that in the US? Not too much.
Do record companies and artists give a blind eye? Sure.

So, the assumed nature is that you can play songs for Public Performance with no penalty.

That is incorrect.

Same with selling for GIVING away CD's.

Don't get me started on "Remixes".
AKIEM 3:01 PM - 9 November, 2013
Ethics = Legal ?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:27 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
Ethics = Legal ?

In reference to context of the question?

Yes.
Jiglo 3:32 PM - 9 November, 2013
Be creative. Don't ever bite another DJ's mixes. Find your own.

And it goes without saying that biting a whole routine is the ultimate sin - as the so called Grandmaster Jay has discovered.
AKIEM 6:03 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Ethics = Legal ?

In reference to context of the question?

Yes.

You mean like this...

Quote:
We all talk about DJ etiquette and the like, but if you were to write an official DJ Code of Ethics what would you put in it?

'Just don't break the law everything else is kosher'

LMAO

Figures in the context of today's hot threads, that's for sure.... :)

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:21 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
You mean like this...

No, like this - >
Quote:
AKIEM 6:39 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
You mean like this...

No, like this - >
Quote:

Which brings us right back to the same damn question. Are we talking about "ethics" in terms of the larger society - as in "legal". or are we talking about "ethics" according to 'the DJ culture'?

Two different things. I thought we were talking about "DJ Ethics" - not legality.
(Some DJs have no ethics, so figures :)

Nm
PumpkinHead 7:05 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
Ethics = Legal ?

Which was why I wanted and elaboration. I was interested as to why his interpretation of ethics was an oxymoron for the occupation.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:04 AM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Two different things. I thought we were talking about "DJ Ethics" - not legality.

Well SHE SAID -
Quote:
Right, I hear what you're saying and I think that the stealing part does create an issue when talking about ethics . But as you've said, the very nature of the job is to play other peoples music (legally), it's not unethical to do that is it? Or is it? Would you be so bold to say that the occupation as a whole is unethical?

So if you want to discuss why we're on a tangent of Legality vs. Ethics, ask the OP.
O.B.1 3:55 AM - 10 November, 2013
I think he meant more along the lines of ethics between DJ's and how they treat each other. For example, you don't go behind another DJ's back and undercut them to snake their gig.
You don't burn through all the bangers during the opening set, etc.
PumpkinHead 11:18 AM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
I think he meant more along the lines of ethics between DJ's and how they treat each other.

Yes that was my intent.

Quote:
The topic is an oxymoron

However the very mention of ethics was considered to be an oxymoron, to which stealing was brought up as a reason for why ethics are impossible for the occupation.

Quote:

Hence lies the debate over ethics and legality.

Quote:

Well SHE SAID -
Quote:
Right, I hear what you're saying and I think that the stealing part does create an issue when talking about ethics . But as you've said, the very nature of the job is to play other peoples music (legally), it's not unethical to do that is it? Or is it? Would you be so bold to say that the occupation as a whole is unethical?

So if you want to discuss why we're on a tangent of Legality vs. Ethics, ask the OP.

Here I was asking, since the nature of the job is to play other peoples music and if that is done without any stealing of material i.e, legally, can you still say that ethics and the DJ occupation are still an oxymoron? Because DJs will always play other peoples music, are you considering that very action as unethical?

I don't think that this is a debate of legality vs. ethics, but if you interpret the work of the occupation as illegal practice to begin with, then the question will lead to the legality vs. ethics debate.
AKIEM 1:34 PM - 10 November, 2013
Don't worry about that dude - his avatar tricks his brain into yapping about random nonsense. As long as he keeps his bathrobe and slippers on, just set him over in the corner.
AKIEM 1:38 PM - 10 November, 2013
Here's a couple

- Don't take other DJs mixes and pass them off as your own, don't even play them. Legal, but certainly not ethical.

- Don't steal a known DJs name or try to pick one which will cause confusion.
Jiglo 1:50 PM - 10 November, 2013
I agree wholeheartedly AKIEM, but after listening to DMC's defence of it's competition and so many people defending DMC for allowing so much pre production in routines and reading a few thousand posts on Serato over the years, I don't think a lot of people care about ethics anymore.

Not that they did back in the day either to be honest, as I heard a lot of biting from lesser DJ's of established DJ's mixes and i've even had someone try to copy most of one of mine on the same radio station I played on. I have no respect for any DJ that does that, no matter how technical they are in other areas.
AKIEM 2:13 PM - 10 November, 2013
Agreed. I think the difference between now and back then is dudes never really got a free pass the way they do now. There arnt really any ethics anymore because its anything (legal) goes nowadays - we even have fools applauding this FakeMaster Jay guy.

Same thing for sampling and production ethics, every code we established has been broken and dummies cheer. But, that's what happens when you amplify a culture through the media loop - ignorance attaches.

Hip Hop (and DJ culture in general) set up our own rules and codes of ethics regardless of legality - but the machine doesn't care about that shit one cent. That along with these old dusty ego dudes who take pleasure in their own ignorance as well - and you have a broken a culture.

Only way to bring it back if possible is keep trying to establish the codes - quit handing out free passes to these fools.

Good thread.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:15 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Don't worry about that dude - his avatar tricks his brain into yapping about random nonsense. As long as he keeps his bathrobe and slippers on, just set him over in the corner.

Yeah, don't worry about that dude, just keep sharp objects away from him. He has a license to carry.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:18 PM - 10 November, 2013
What's crazy is that fools don't even recognize when they're being baited and played into promoting obviously stupid acts into the spotlight. A killer most times WANTS to be in the spotlight and live in infamy, just like these idiots. And what do the masses do? Abide by their whims.
raequan 2:18 PM - 10 November, 2013
so your saying if a bride call a few djs up in her town and asks for quotes for a dj. One dj is $1500 another is $1200 the last guy is $1000

so under ethics the 2 guys charging less is undercutting the first guy and the last guy is undercutting the first and second guy.

so the last guy shouldn't do the job cause he is cheaper than the first 2

"im sorry future bride to be. I cant be the dj at your wedding ceremony because I undercut 2 other djs. Its not you its my ethics."
AKIEM 2:29 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
so your saying if a bride call a few djs up in her town and asks for quotes for a dj. One dj is $1500 another is $1200 the last guy is $1000

so under ethics the 2 guys charging less is undercutting the first guy and the last guy is undercutting the first and second guy.

"im sorry future bride to be. I cant be the dj at your wedding ceremony because I undercut 2 other djs. Its not you its my ethics."

Not at all. That's just the market.

But say we have a club where DJs have been getting $400 a weekend night for years and they worked hard to establish that rate, then you come in trying to get that gig offering to do it for $100 - that would be unethical in any business really.

Pay to play has even become prevalent in some places... Some BS.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:31 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:

i think they are talking more along the lines of purposely undercutting another dj. there is a difference between being competitive in the market and just flat out undercutting someone just for the 5mins of fame.
AKIEM 2:38 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

i think they are talking more along the lines of purposely undercutting another dj. there is a difference between being competitive in the market and just flat out undercutting someone just for the 5mins of fame.

Yup
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:38 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:

ANYBODY can be undercut, just like ANYBODY can get knocked the fugg out...

What cats don't realize is what causes the conditions for said undercutting.

Is it that technology has advanced to such a point that it "seemingly" makes your job easier to do?

Have you adjusted yourself to the market and supply in such a way that you stay "competitive"?

Have you ramped up your advertising to compete and show why you offer a better product?

Has your audience as a whole changed their expectations of what to expect in your services, or those who give services "similar" to yours?

Has the game changed around you, and you not changed accordingly?

There have ALWAYS been undercutters, but you have to ask yourself, if you can CONSISTANTLY be undercut, then something has changed, and you haven't.
AKIEM 2:44 PM - 10 November, 2013
blah, blah, blah...
DJ Remix Detroit 2:47 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
if you can CONSISTANTLY be undercut, then something has changed, and you haven't.

not always true, especially in the mobile world.
AKIEM 2:57 PM - 10 November, 2013
Undercutting is unethical. It's knowing the going rate and charging much less to get the gig. Sure it's always existed but now its out of control because the bar (ability to get sound out the speaker) has been brought so low that new dudes arnt educated (or are just unethical from jump). Other industries have unions to deal with this 'market' situation - we don't. It is what it is.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:09 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
if you can CONSISTANTLY be undercut, then something has changed, and you haven't.

not always true, especially in the mobile world.

How is that not always true.

Yes it is. You haven't adjusted for those changes.

Now those changes may be OUT of your control and you may not like them, but they're there.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:16 PM - 10 November, 2013
yeah, you're right, i read the statement the wrong way...

i thought you were implying that there was something wrong with the dj being undercut...lol...my fault

i was thinking more along the lines of this:
Quote:
now its out of control because the bar (ability to get sound out the speaker) has been brought so low that new dudes arnt educated (or are just unethical from jump).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:28 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Undercutting is unethical. It's knowing the going rate and charging much less to get the gig. Sure it's always existed but now its out of control because the bar (ability to get sound out the speaker) has been brought so low that new dudes aren't educated (or are just unethical from jump). Other industries have unions to deal with this 'market' situation - we don't. It is what it is.

smh @ new dudes aren't "educated". Actually they are...

This ^^^ is an example of how you haven't adjusted with the times.

The startup and maintenance price of becoming a DJ back in the day was ASTRONOMICAL compared to today.

That is a fact.

If "DJ'ing was "Invented" today, and you had to start from scratch, how much would it actually cost you?

Back in the day to be mobile you needed

2 -1200's or turntables - say - 450 apiece - 900.00
1 - Mixer - say 200.00
1 - Amp - say 200.00
2 - Speakers - say 500.00
2 - Crates of records 150 x 5.00 a record - 750.00

So just on startup, you'd need about 2550.00 out the gate to do your first "Real" gig.

AND to consistently update your music @ say 100.00 a month minimum - 5 records a week.

Whereas now, all you need to start out for mobile is

1 - Laptop - 400.00
2 - Powered Speakers - 200.00 (Gemini)

600.00 bucks total, assuming they aren't just rocking an iPod.

That's it.

What incentive does the NEW DJ have to live by the previous struggles that the DJ before them endured?

How could they JUSTIFY charging someone the same PROFESSIONAL PRICES that DJ's that have "Invested" in the game do?

What you have to look at is WHO is willing to hire that DJ that is just "Starting Out".

It is no longer cost prohibitive to start a DJ career anymore...

Now assuming they WANT to upgrade their equipment and get turntables, or a controller, etc...that's all good...

But the market apparently has a "Need" for the "Cheap" DJ, and you have to adjust to that accordingly.
AKIEM 3:35 PM - 10 November, 2013
New DJs are inexperienced therefore, are uneducated, therefore don't know the rules.

All the rest of that jazz is whatever...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:36 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
New DJs are inexperienced therefore, are uneducated, therefore don't know the rules.

Rules?

LMAO! @ Rules in an unlicensed field....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:38 PM - 10 November, 2013
Inexperience does not equal Uneducated.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:40 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Inexperience does not equal Uneducated.

not true:

ex·pe·ri·ence

Active participation in events or activities, leading to the accumulation of knowledge or skill: a lesson taught by experience; a carpenter with experience in roof repair.
b. The knowledge or skill so derived.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:40 PM - 10 November, 2013
If they're SMART ENOUGH to recognize the marketplace and it's loopholes, and exploit it to get where they can get their foot in the door, and get gigs, that is far from 'Uneducated".

You're acting like Education = Ethics.

Or good morals or some *ish...
DJ Remix Detroit 3:41 PM - 10 November, 2013
hence the : *accumulation of knowledge* part.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:42 PM - 10 November, 2013
so if a person remains inexperienced, they arent accumulating knowledge... which leaves them in an uneducated state. pertaining to that field
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:42 PM - 10 November, 2013
What you all would HOPE is that INEXPERIENCE = the marketplace NOT having a place for them....

That's HARDLY the case...

Check Craigslist.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:43 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
so if a person remains inexperienced, they arent accumulating knowledge... which leaves them in an uneducated state. pertaining to that field

You're assuming the "Inexperienced" DJ isn't Educated.

Apparently he's educated enough to get the gig....

What you'd HOPE is that the person doing the HIRING is "Educated" enough to recognize an "Inexperienced" DJ.
AKIEM 3:44 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Rules?

LMAO! @ Rules in an unlicensed field....

Exactly what the fuck I am talking about - this dude don't and never knew the rules.

Call it church or call it proof.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:44 PM - 10 November, 2013
This is where the dj that is being UNDERCUT by an "Uneducated/Inexperienced" DJ, has to step up their game to EDUCATE the masses as to what would happen IF they DID hire the "Uneducated/Inexperienced" DJ.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:47 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:

Exactly what the fuck I am talking about - this dude don't and never knew the rules.

Lightskinned, PLEAZE...

This ain't about me, and you KNOW I know the rules....but how do YOU force those supposed "Rules" on a new jack?

They have no "Incentive" to learn the "Old School" rules, and follow them.

The game done changed, and so have the "Rules"...

There are none.
AKIEM 3:47 PM - 10 November, 2013
LMAO
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:48 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
hence the : *accumulation of knowledge* part.

We now live in a "Gratification Now" climate...

If you can't provide the service "Now" at a certain price, someone else will...
DJ Remix Detroit 3:49 PM - 10 November, 2013
not true... there are people who could care less about experience, they just dont want to spend more than $50 on a dj.

ive educated people on the difference between spending $500 on me or going to craigslist and spending $100 on a fisher price dj... they still dont give a damn. they go with the fisher price dj anyway....lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:51 PM - 10 November, 2013
Just to "Educate" you...

There used to be a cost prohibitive barrier that stopped those who weren't serious about DJ'ing from infiltrating the environment.

That no longer exists.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:52 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
not true... there are people who could care less about experience, they just dont want to spend more than $50 on a dj.

ive educated people on the difference between spending $500 on me or going to craigslist and spending $100 on a fisher price dj... they still dont give a damn. they go with the fisher price dj anyway....lol.

Which is EXACTLY MY POINT....

Quote:
What you all would HOPE is that INEXPERIENCE = the marketplace NOT having a place for them....

That's HARDLY the case...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:54 PM - 10 November, 2013
In the case of you "Educating" them about the benefits of hiring you vs. the Craigslist DJ, your Benefits DIDN'T outweigh what they wanted to spend...

You just didn't convince them.

And YOU as a DJ should be OK with that, as they obviously didn't want to spend money on your "Professional" services.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:55 PM - 10 November, 2013
Ok, let's put it out there...

What "RULE" does a New Jack DJ have to follow, or else it would end their supposed "career"?
AKIEM 3:59 PM - 10 November, 2013
This dude has NO DJ ethics at all, never has.

Nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:00 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Nm

LMAO @ you having nothing else intelligent to add....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:01 PM - 10 November, 2013
Answer the question Al B. -
Quote:
What "RULE" does a New Jack DJ have to follow, or else it would end their supposed "career"?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:12 PM - 10 November, 2013
SHM @ the "crickets"...

Ok, I'll make it even easier for you...

What exactly do the "NEW" DJ's need to be "Educated" about to become a DJ or else fail?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:21 PM - 10 November, 2013
Ok, class, I'll answer the question...

The NEW DJ's only need to be "Educated" about Marketing and Promotion when getting into the DJ game.

That's it.

Oh, skills you say?

Being able to beatmatch?

The ability to carry a crate of vinyl up a flight of steps?

Really?

In today's climate?

We would WANT them to be educated in knowing how to mix, not to undercut, be humble, be professional, and uphold those rules that pertained to the trials and tribulations of DJ's of yesteryear...etc..etc...

But the truth is that NOT knowing any of that stuff will NOT stop them from being a "DJ".

And getting hired...

To be a "Professional DJ" is a different story.
deezlee 4:25 PM - 10 November, 2013
Back in the day:

Solid:
1200's + Mixer + Amp + Speakers + Crates of records + new music =
2550 + 100 a month for new music.

Lacking:
2 CD players and cheap speakers.

Now:

Solid:
1200's + Mixer (or mixer and SSL box) + Speakers + Laptop + new music

Lacking:
Ipod or cheap laptop and cheap speakers.

... that would be a fairer comparison ($2550 vs $8800 for the solid setup).
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:32 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:

So NEW DJ's are spending 8800 starting out?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:33 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

So NEW DJ's are spending 8800 starting out?

AND charging 50 bucks?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:34 PM - 10 November, 2013
Today's NEW DJ's that are charging 50 bucks and what are starting off with -

Quote:
Lacking:
Ipod or cheap laptop and cheap speakers.

Back in the DAY, there weren't CDJ players...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:36 PM - 10 November, 2013
AND that was assuming they were getting 1200's at 450 apiece...

Forget it if they were getting DJ in a Box Gemini setups...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:38 PM - 10 November, 2013
Also, when you say Solid in reference to a LAPTOP, I'm obviously talking about a Windows vs. a MAC.
deezlee 4:59 PM - 10 November, 2013
I wasn't DJing before cd players came out (82) so I dunno about that far back, but jenkins mobile djs have been using them for a while.

I actually agree that the barriers to entry level djing are less now (including cost), but comparing a past high end setup to a current low end setupisn't really a fair comparison.

I think the issue is that the cheap setup is more excepted by the masses now. Everybody knew that the dude with the 2 home cd players wasn't a "real" dj, but now a laptop & $100 controller dude is all good.
AKIEM 6:13 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
SHM @ the "crickets"...

What exactly do the "NEW" DJ's need to be "Educated" about to become a DJ or else fail?

argument tactics and shit. smh

NO ONE said anything about a new DJ failing or whatever.

New DJs do not develop ethics because the various entry barriers are lowered - cost, practice time, mentorship, and general need/want of excellence. Nowadays dudes go from decision 1 to pulling gigs in a weeks time. In this case there is ABSOLUTELY no way to develop ethics (who fuckin knows what your excuse it?)
AKIEM 6:16 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
SHM @ the "crickets"...

New DJs do not develop ethics because the various entry barriers are lowered - cost, practice time, mentorship, and general need/want of excellence. Nowadays dudes go from decision 1 to pulling gigs in a weeks time. In this case there is ABSOLUTELY no way to develop ethics (who fuckin knows what your excuse is?)
AKIEM 6:38 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Ok, class, I'll answer the question...

The NEW DJ's only need to be "Educated" about Marketing and Promotion when getting into the DJ game.

That's it.

Oh, skills you say?

Being able to beatmatch?

The ability to carry a crate of vinyl up a flight of steps?

Really?

In today's climate?

We would WANT them to be educated in knowing how to mix, not to undercut, be humble, be professional, and uphold those rules that pertained to the trials and tribulations of DJ's of yesteryear...etc..etc...

But the truth is that NOT knowing any of that stuff will NOT stop them from being a "DJ".

And getting hired...

To be a "Professional DJ" is a different story.

Always with the yap yap yapping - no one is talking about all that B.S.

We are talking about DJ developing 'DJ ethics' (but since you never heard of em...)

Nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:32 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
I wasn't DJing before cd players came out (82) so I dunno about that far back, but jenkins mobile djs have been using them for a while.

Pioneer released a CDJ 100S in 1996 and the CDJ 1000 MKII came out in July 2003.

Regardless, to be considered a "DJ" back then, you had to have turntables. There is another debate of when CDJ's became accepted as the standard, but turntables were the benchmark of being a DJ from the door.

Quote:
I actually agree that the barriers to entry level djing are less now (including cost), but comparing a past high end setup to a current low end setupisn't really a fair comparison.

Dude, 2 turntables and a mixer WAS the "Low End" setup back in the day. That 2550 number is as real as it could have gotten. ONLY AFTER the DJ fad caught on did it actually get "Lower" with the DJ in a box phenomenon.

Quote:
I think the issue is that the cheap setup is more excepted by the masses now. Everybody knew that the dude with the 2 home cd players wasn't a "real" dj, but now a laptop & $100 controller dude is all good.

To tell you the truth, the ONLY thing the crowd worries about is if you have the MUSIC and a device to DELIVER it to the masses.

Only US DJ's REALLY care about if you have 1200's, a high quality amp, an iPod, MAC, JBL's or legal mp3's.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:35 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:

New DJs do not develop ethics because the various entry barriers are lowered - cost, practice time, mentorship, and general need/want of excellence. Nowadays dudes go from decision 1 to pulling gigs in a weeks time. In this case there is ABSOLUTELY no way to develop ethics (who fuckin knows what your excuse it?)

Who is talking about DJ's developing ethics?

Y'all were talking about a DJ being "Educated" in the "Rules"....

What the hell are the supposed "Rules" that someone would absolutely follow to be come a DJ again?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:37 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:

We are talking about DJ developing 'DJ ethics' (but since you never heard of em...)
Nm

You said there are RULES right ? ->
Quote:

WHAT are these supposed "Rules" that you speak of that TODAY would stop someone from becoming a DJ if they didn't follow them?

Again, you sit and knit...
 6 10:38 PM - 10 November, 2013
"What the hell are the supposed "Rules" that someone would absolutely follow to be come a DJ again?"

To become a DJ?

1- beatmaching
2- song selection skills

To become a jukebox?

No rules
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:41 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
"What the hell are the supposed "Rules" that someone would absolutely follow to be come a DJ again?"

To become a DJ?

1- beatmaching

2- song selection skills

To become a jukebox?

No rules

That's cool...

Now is that particular "DJ" the SAME person that is charging 50 bucks on Craigslist and the ones that all these other "DJ"s" are complaining are undercutting?
 6 10:45 PM - 10 November, 2013
.... And being a DJ then vs now was not so much about a monetary issue as it was a privilege issue. Only DJs had access to music and it was free promotional music for the most part. Nowadays ANYONE has the access to the music.

nm
 6 10:46 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

To become a DJ?

1- beatmaching

2- song selection skills

To become a jukebox?

No rules

That's cool...

Now is that particular "DJ" the SAME person that is charging 50 bucks on Craigslist and the ones that all these other "DJ"s" are complaining are undercutting?

Anyone can undercut regardless of title. I've seen both jukeboxes and actual DJs undercut.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:56 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:

Anyone can undercut regardless of title. I've seen both jukeboxes and actual DJs undercut.

nm

I said that earlier -
Quote:

ANYBODY can be undercut, just like ANYBODY can get knocked the fugg out...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:56 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
.... And being a DJ then vs now was not so much about a monetary issue as it was a privilege issue. Only DJs had access to music and it was free promotional music for the most part. Nowadays ANYONE has the access to the music.

nm

Which contributes to how the GAME has changed, and how "DJ's" need to adjust to the changes.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:04 PM - 10 November, 2013
The truth is that DJ'ing is about Supply and Demand.

The crowd wanted the music (Demand), and we were able to deliver it (Supply).

ALL those other "Rules" came into play because of DJ's THEMSELVES...

The idea of "Beatmatching" was a DJ's idea, to enhance the party.

Did the crowd like it? Sure.

Could they have lived without it? They were before...

It was a prerequisite that was put in place by those who "Controlled" the game.

Those who controlled the game were OLDER DJ's who had equipment and had holds on the residences that you wanted to play in.

Wedding DJ's were known by REPUTATION ONLY.

If you didn't do your homework, you wouldn't have been put on, wouldn't have a rep, would not get a gig. Simple.

NOW the game is such that people no longer rely on DJ's to acquire music. They had Napster and now Amazon. Instant gratification.

So, the demand is still there - People want music, BUT since it's available to them for relatively cheap, they think the DJ should be cheap too...

Enter the Undercutting/Uneducated new DJ.

No longer is the Club/Bar/Establishment caring if you can beatmatch...

Actually they NEVER really cared....

OTHER DJ's cared....

Now can you make the CROWD HAPPY?

Ok, you're hired....

That's it.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:07 PM - 10 November, 2013
Just the fact that someone WOULD be willing to hire a DJ off of Craigslist should be enough to indicate where the game has gone...

Now, who should you be mad at?

The "Game" that has been changed where the Demand doesn't really CARE how the Music is delivered to them?

Or the "DJ" who fulfills that request?
deezlee 11:46 PM - 10 November, 2013
cd players came out in 82
AKIEM 11:47 PM - 10 November, 2013
Blah, blah, blah, this dude has no idea what the discussion is about about.

Nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:51 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
cd players came out in 82

When did they start becoming popular in the DJ era?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:52 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Blah, blah, blah, this dude has no idea what the discussion is about.

Nm

lmao @ Lightskinned trying so hard...

What were those DJ "Rules" again?
AKIEM 2:44 AM - 11 November, 2013
DJ Ethics. This guy soposedly been around since the 70 and never heard of them. Exactly why he keeps babbling about everything else but the actual subject it goes right over his head and probably will for ever. Dude has no ethics - explains his whole entire sneeze.

Nm
AKIEM 2:45 AM - 11 November, 2013
Dj R. Driver 3:44 AM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Undercutting is unethical. It's knowing the going rate and charging much less to get the gig. Sure it's always existed but now its out of control because the bar (ability to get sound out the speaker) has been brought so low that new dudes aren't educated (or are just unethical from jump). Other industries have unions to deal with this 'market' situation - we don't. It is what it is.

smh @ new dudes aren't "educated". Actually they are...

This ^^^ is an example of how you haven't adjusted with the times.

The startup and maintenance price of becoming a DJ back in the day was ASTRONOMICAL compared to today.

That is a fact.

If "DJ'ing was "Invented" today, and you had to start from scratch, how much would it actually cost you?

Back in the day to be mobile you needed

2 -1200's or turntables - say - 450 apiece - 900.00
1 - Mixer - say 200.00
1 - Amp - say 200.00
2 - Speakers - say 500.00
2 - Crates of records 150 x 5.00 a record - 750.00

So just on startup, you'd need about 2550.00 out the gate to do your first "Real" gig.

AND to consistently update your music @ say 100.00 a month minimum - 5 records a week.

Whereas now, all you need to start out for mobile is

1 - Laptop - 400.00
2 - Powered Speakers - 200.00 (Gemini)

600.00 bucks total, assuming they aren't just rocking an iPod.

That's it.

What incentive does the NEW DJ have to live by the previous struggles that the DJ before them endured?

How could they JUSTIFY charging someone the same PROFESSIONAL PRICES that DJ's that have "Invested" in the game do?

What you have to look at is WHO is willing to hire that DJ that is just "Starting Out".

It is no longer cost prohibitive to start a DJ career anymore...

Now assuming they WANT to upgrade their equipment and get turntables, or a controller, etc...that's all good...

But the market apparently has a "Need" for the "Cheap" DJ, and you have to adjust to that accordingly.

its called the economies of scale. learned that in college 101
Dj R. Driver 3:44 AM - 11 November, 2013
econ 101^
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:56 AM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
DJ Ethics. This guy soposedly been around since the 70 and never heard of them. Exactly why he keeps babbling about everything else but the actual subject it goes right over his head and probably will for ever. Dude has no ethics - explains his whole entire sneeze.

Nm

You know you sound stupid, right?

And the fun part is that you're scared of your own words....

You said -
Quote:

What are these [b]rules[b] that you speak of that, if you don't follow them, will NOT allow you to be a DJ today?

Stop stalling Garfield.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:58 AM - 11 November, 2013
Man, you make this too easy...

Always talkin' that *ish, and when you get challenged on it, you about face...

Typical lightskinned behavior.
AKIEM 5:16 AM - 11 November, 2013
Challenged?

Every time someone mentioned some rules you went dumb left field on some unrelated BS.

read the thread again there are various ethics mentioned otherwise stf, the thread might amount to something without all your dumb thread jack tactics.

Someone mentioned ethics, and this dude tries to ruin the thread.

Nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:23 AM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
Challenged?

Every time someone mentioned some rules you went dumb left field on some unrelated BS.

read the thread again there are various ethics mentioned otherwise stf, the thread might amount to something without all your dumb thread jack tactics.

Someone mentioned ethics, and this dude tries to ruin the thread.

Nm

Typical lightskinned behavior....

You were never breast fed as a child I see...

Always trying to latch onto something...
Dj R. Driver 7:39 AM - 11 November, 2013
sounds like a battle!!!!!!!!!
AKIEM 8:14 AM - 11 November, 2013
Weak as usual - mad about being deceased and stuck with the NoCred moniker.

End thread?

Rule #7234
If you are opening, do not play the headliners record.

Nm
DJ Remy USA 8:15 AM - 11 November, 2013
Yawn

same ole same ole
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:22 PM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
Weak as usual - mad about being deceased and stuck with the Christopher Williams moniker.....

Watchwww.youtube.com
RobDJ dotcom 4:41 PM - 11 November, 2013
It seems that the term "DJ Ethics" could fittingly be replaced by "Pirate's Code" or "Honor Among Thieves". And the latter is an oxymoron if there ever was one.

Anyway, can we switch back to the "LEGAL" part of the convo, please? Cause my wedding game is getting popular and I'm getting BOOKED UP, which is GREAT! So I'm thinking of joining the show circuit and a few online organizations. But, a friend of mine was playing a new club back in '02 when ASCAP walked in and hit the club with HEAVY fines for some burnt CD's he had. Do any or all of you know if there's some DJ membership to ASCAP, or something like that, to actually legalize and protect ourselves from getting a surprise hit at a show or something? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
PumpkinHead 6:09 PM - 11 November, 2013
Talking about ethics is far more than just talking about undercutting. It seems like undercutting is the only subject that DJs seem to have any comment on.

Although many didn't agree with @DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 he did bring up some very good points, which challenges many DJs here to change their concepts of what is going on in the occupation. It's not all about the downfall of the industry because of new technology and undercutting. There's so much more to the occupation; and like all occupational groups there are always shifts in the environment.

I was interested to hear which ethical codes DJs share. One could look inwardly first, and come up with a few...but it's just the same ol narrative - "undercutting, undercutting, undercutting", surely there's more to the discourse than that.
AKIEM 6:12 PM - 11 November, 2013
There are some decent threads with information about Performance Rights fees and legal issues. search
AKIEM 6:19 PM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Weak as usual - mad about being deceased and stuck with the Christopher Williams moniker.....
Watchwww.youtube.com

LMAO - this dude struggled all night, and first thing in the morning logs on to compare me to Christopher Williams because of my skin color?

I classify that as pathetic. Not sure why he thinks its offensive or whatever - but manthis dude has some issue with peoples color - sad really - on many levels.

back on topic?

nm
 6 6:58 PM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
I was interested to hear which ethical codes DJs share.

Here are some just off the top...

- Don't snake the gig of another DJ
- Don't burn the headliner
- Don't expect to borrow headphones, needles, control records, etc. (Come prepared)
- Don't file share anything that is given to you with exclusivity
- Don't back off from a battle. If you're challenged that is... (That's for the Hip Hop DJ's)

I don't even count undercutting as one unless you're trying to snake a gig which is already up there. To me, if you're setting your prices too low, you're not hurting me. You're hurting yourself.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:02 PM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:

I classify that as pathetic. Not sure why he thinks its offensive or whatever - but manthis dude has some issue with peoples color - sad really - on many levels.

LOL! You have no color.

You're clear...
AKIEM 7:04 PM - 11 November, 2013
To me setting a low price is not really "undercutting". To undercut, you have to go after a gig by setting a price lower than whats established... definitions...

nm
PumpkinHead 7:27 PM - 11 November, 2013
Anything pertaining to the service we provide (client relationship); and how DJs should present themselves?
AKIEM 7:32 PM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
Anything pertaining to the service we provide (client relationship); and how DJs should present themselves?

Thats going to depend on the type of job and client - because there is a full spectrum of situations. Some clients will expect you to not to have even a sip of wine, others will expect you to snort a line of coke or some shit with them...
DJ Remix Detroit 8:28 PM - 11 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Thats going to depend on the type of job and client - because there is a full spectrum of situations. Some clients will expect you to not to have even a sip of wine, others will expect you to snort a line of coke or some shit with them...

lol
RobDJ dotcom 12:34 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
There are some decent threads with information about Performance Rights fees and legal issues. search

I tried a search using "Performance Rights" and found nada. Can somebody throw me some better keywords or a link maybe? Please?
AKIEM 4:08 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I tried a search using "Performance Rights" and found nada. Can somebody throw me some better keywords or a link maybe? Please?

Here's one, there are a couple others... serato.com
AKIEM 4:23 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

LOL! You have no color.

You're clear...

So he struggles all night dreaming about me as Christopher Williams, makes sure he logs on to say his little remark - goes to work or whatever, puts down a ham sandwich on his five min break to say some more shit about what I look like - this dudes got a moistness problem all worried about what I look like. Dudes thinking about all day on some racial shit.

Pathetic on various levels, various.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:30 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
this dudes got a moistness problem all worried about what I look like. Dudes thinking about all day on some racial shit.

LOL! I just like how you ALWAYS have to make a reference to me...doesn't matter if I'm in the thread or not...

You just click your heels 3 times, and poof...

Here I is.

If you learn to stick to the topic at hand, you wouldn't get burned so quickly.

Just sayin....
AKIEM 5:06 AM - 12 November, 2013
Huh? This dude gets up in the morning dreaming about I'm his favorite RnB singer and wondering should he start a new thread with my name in the topic. suspect JohnnyMo always considering another mans skin.

fire burn
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:05 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
Huh? This dude gets up in the morning dreaming about I'm his favorite RnB singer and wondering should he start a new thread with my name in the topic . suspect JohnnyMo always considering another mans skin.

fire burn

LMAO! Wait, aren't YOU the king of creating threads in my honor? -> serato.com

And

serato.com

lol! You're the KANG of those types of posts....

Carry on..
AKIEM 8:07 AM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Huh? This dude gets up in the morning dreaming about I'm his favorite RnB singer and wondering should he start a new thread with my name in the topic . suspect JohnnyMo always considering another mans skin.

fire burn

LMAO! Wait, aren't YOU the king of creating threads in my honor? -> serato.com

And

#1 This thread was not (originally) about you. It was about this dude.
www.jonny-m.co.uk

YOU made that shit about you.

Thats the thread you came out the closet and shit. Like I said, Im not jomophobic or whatever, I just dont like you trying to focus on me - aight cuz?

Quote:

serato.com

lol! You're the KANG of those types of posts....

Carry on..

#2 was necessary for legal reasons.

So I made ONE thread to document all the lies you try telling about me. All types of federal level shit - had to for legal reasons.

thats ALL you got?

but whats really sad and pathetic is this:

you woke up dreaming about me as an RnB singer
8:22 AM - 11 November, 2013
serato.com

lunch break and you still have me on your mind kid
2:02 PM - 11 November, 2013
serato.com

whatever BS you do during the day, and you make it home, eat some leftovers or whatever and you are still thinking about me son, still!
11:30 PM - 11 November, 2013
serato.com

Now you got your bs pc up in bed, and you are still fucking thinking about me homie - STILL!
1:05 AM - 12 November, 2013
serato.com

You know you gotta get up and go to work fella, and you are up in here with more petty BS to say about me? ALL FUCKING DAY cat? Really? These is all the posts you made all day?

Fucks wrong with you b?

We know you got murked out and everything, and you was asking me to stop an all a dat, but for real b - you need to quit having me on your mind like that - it aint healthy - your soul is burnt - just stop that

all fucking day, and Im the only thing in your mind really?

smdh

hope tuesday aint the same shit

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:23 AM - 12 November, 2013
C'mon son! You can do better than that!

You KNOW that you HAVE to refer to me - either directly or subliminally - JUST to get your day started...

I can be NOWHERE NEAR the thread, and here you go...

Ever since I burned that dude in the Classic Rock thread, you and ya boy caught "Feelings" and can't HELP but try and get my attention...

Eh, I let you get a few little shots in, just to see if you've upped your game at all...

But as usual, you always fail..

So most times, I do this -> educationblog.dallasnews.com to you....

You just CAN'T help it...

I understand....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:25 AM - 12 November, 2013
No wonder Bezzle has gotten the best of you lately.

Heh, I can ALWAYS depend on you to cast the first stone.... :-)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:34 AM - 12 November, 2013
And since we're cutting and pasting now -

Here's the tale of the tape -

Here's where the OP proposed the question -
Quote:

And then I answer, and then here YOU go -
Quote:
(Some DJs have no ethics, so figures :)

and here -
Quote:

and here -
Quote:
we even have fools applauding this FakeMaster Jay guy.

and here -
Quote:
blah, blah, blah...

and here -
Quote:

and here -
Quote:

and here -
Quote:
Always with the yap yap yapping - no one is talking about all that B.S.

and here -
Quote:
Blah, blah, blah, this dude has no idea what the discussion is about about.

and here -
Quote:

And who is coming after who again?

C'mon son....

Stevie Wonder can see through those smoke and mirrors...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:43 AM - 12 November, 2013
And of course this all carries over from here -> serato.com

What's funny is that actually Bezzle and I were AGREEING on a few points and here comes ya boy AKIEM -

Quote:
dudes trying to defend this BS - it aint "embellishment" - shits FRAUDULENT

I respond with -
Quote:
Silly boy...

Ain't nobody DEFENDING him...

Apparently he's a MAJOR unknown, but known by a few.

I still think this is some type of marketing fubar....

And you respond with
Quote:
so easy.....

:)

So I already know you're just here to do flame on so you kick it off with -

this -
Quote:
Grandmaster NoCred

And this -
Quote:
nice paragraph of meaninglessness you found

And this -
Quote:
NoCred would say some dumb shit like that too - so...... yeah... figures

And this -
Quote:
SMH @ dudes thinking this fool is genius

LOL dummies

And this -
Quote:
so the BS continues
<- Your Barbara Striesand "reference" to me..lmao.

And this -
Quote:
Now, I understand perfectly why NoCred loves this cocky fellow, these mfs are cut from the same damn cloth. No one on earth would have been surprised if it turned out JM = GMJ.

And this -
Quote:
The deceased appreciates a con man.

This here -
Quote:
Yup, so much weak fake fraudulent BS gets a free pass today.....

Clap for the looser too, everyone get a trophy ....

Now the word "Trophy" is significant because it allows you to "continue" the subliminals in yet a completely NEW thread right here -> serato.com

Where you go on to say this ->
Quote:
The participation trophy?

And HERE IS SOMEBODY ELSE WHO SEE'S WHAT'S GOING ON AND SAYS - >

Quote:
Ah I see where this is going. Flame on gents!

LMAO!

And I haven't even posted in that thread...

smh....but please continue.
RobDJ dotcom 2:50 PM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Akiem
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:07 PM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
this dudes got a moistness problem all worried about what I look like. Dudes thinking about all day on some racial shit.

LOL! I just like how you ALWAYS have to make a reference to me...

doesn't matter if I'm in the thread or not...

You just click your heels 3 times, and poof...

Here I is.

If you learn to stick to the topic at hand, you wouldn't get burned so quickly.

Just sayin....

^arent those taylor swift lyrics?
AKIEM 5:31 PM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Akiem

no problem

AKIEM 6:33 PM - 12 November, 2013
3:45 AM ?

wow

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:46 PM - 12 November, 2013
AKIEM 8:06 PM - 12 November, 2013

you still got that helmet on to this day

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 8:35 PM - 12 November, 2013
Quote:

you still got that helmet on to this day

nm

bwhahahaha
DJ Remix Detroit 8:36 PM - 12 November, 2013
heeeeeere's Johnny: i1.ytimg.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:51 PM - 12 November, 2013
ROTFLMAO!!!
CMOS 9:05 PM - 12 November, 2013
When are these two just gonna slob each other and get it over with. Its obvious they are in love.

Cmon Fellas, you two can be the first serato.com marriage.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:46 AM - 13 November, 2013
Dude knows who's wearing the helmet...
AKIEM 4:47 AM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Dude knows who's wearing the helmet...

...his name - johnnyMo.

Yup

Quote:
When are these two just gonna slob each other and get it over with. Its obvious they are in love.

Cmon Fellas, you two can be the first serato.com marriage.

CMOS, that's probably half right because normally its some ol throwback chicks comparing me to some R&B singer. Usually they are down for the dilz an all that - guess this dude is down for the same thing:(

'Ooh, you look like Christopher Williams'

Really son, really?

Fuck outta here.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:24 AM - 13 November, 2013
Burnin' that soul slow....
AKIEM 3:46 PM - 13 November, 2013
Quote:
Burnin' that soul slow....

LMAO @ delusional.

In all honesty calling me Christopher Williams is the most gayest insult anyone ever tried on me. It's very homosexual of you to be thinking of me as a R&B sex symbol guy.

LMAO

JohnnyMo.

nm
RobDJ dotcom 9:38 PM - 13 November, 2013
My instinct was to say topic abandoned. But seeing as how, like most other "professions" here in the States, DJ's don't have ethics. Never mind. Continue the slap boxing.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:07 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:

Wow, missed this...

You know what's funny?

That not so long ago, YOU DJRemix was "a-scared" of AKIEM...remember?

Quote:
DJRemixEnt 11:06 AM - 6 May, 2013
Akiem... im honestly a lil nervous to go back and forth with you...cuz i see how u follow JohnnyM around this whole forum like a fuckin stalker...shit is actually kinda creepy...so good day to u sir..carry on

serato.com

Now, y'all are bossom "buddies".....

Classic *ish rite thurr....

Carry on.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:10 AM - 14 November, 2013
As a matter of fact, I do recall re-assuring you that he was "Harmless"....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA>..

Quote:
Awww hell...

You just have to know how to deal with him...

He's harmless....
AKIEM 3:14 AM - 14 November, 2013
...said the deceased.

amen

Nm
DJ Remix Detroit 3:15 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, missed this...

You know what's funny?

That not so long ago, YOU DJRemix was "a-scared" of AKIEM...remember?

Quote:
Akiem... im honestly a lil nervous to go back and forth with you...cuz i see how u follow JohnnyM around this whole forum like a fuckin stalker...shit is actually kinda creepy...so good day to u sir..carry on

serato.com

Now, y'all are bossom "buddies".....

Classic *ish rite thurr....

Carry on.

not quite my friend... it's just i have respect for someone who can debate honestly... you havn't mastered the art of ethics yet.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:20 AM - 14 November, 2013
and now i see its actually the other way around... cuz everywhere your 'light skinned fantasy' is, low and behold, JM is only 3 posts away...smdh
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:24 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
not quite my friend... it's just i have respect for someone who can debate honestly... you havn't mastered the art of ethics yet.

LMAO @ "honestly"....

You mean you haven't beaten him yet...

Understandable...

Bezzle eventually did it...

You can too...

Carry on!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:27 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
and now i see its actually the other way around... cuz everywhere your 'light skinned fantasy' is, low and behold, JM is only 3 posts away...smdh

LOL!!!!!!

Like I said, y'all click them heels and voila!!!

Wonder Twin Powers....

Activate!!!

www.djjohnnym.com

PS, so did you ever get that "Speeder" footage digitally analyzed again?

Straight Com-MO-Dee!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:24 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO @ "honestly"....

You mean you haven't beaten him yet...

Understandable...

Bezzle eventually did it...

You can too...

Carry on!
true story!
 6 5:10 AM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:

this

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:13 AM - 14 November, 2013
And there's the magic # 3.....

Yep...

Y'all carry on, ya hear?

LOL @ doing this with your "Own Quotes"...

Classic.
 6 6:21 AM - 14 November, 2013
The fact that you're having to defend yourself over and over tells the whole story No Cred.

nm
DJ Remy USA 7:26 AM - 14 November, 2013
untracking thanks guys again
DJ Remix Detroit 12:22 PM - 14 November, 2013
JM's Synopsis:

Callin this dude a failure is not givin him enough credit namsayin. Straight up. Technically this guy has already mastered failure n moved on to the level that comes after failin tho. Son has evolved past bein a regular failin ass dude. This guy has developed his own science when it comes to that shit….its “quantum failure” nahmean. This dude can fail without even bein awake yo. Son can fail in a dream n bring that shit back wit him to his conscious state namsayin. Dude can inception fail his way thru life. This guy can find the fail buried 4 levels deeper under the failure that you actually see. Dude can fail about 78 times per heartbeat g. In fact by the time you finish readin this sentence the his ass will have failed approximately 468 times namsayin. He is usin methods of failure that dudes aint even seen since the ancient Mayans n Egyptians was on earth still yo. This dude is usin approaches to failin that brought upon the destructions of entire ancient civilizations son. Think its a game yo? JM takes his failure very fuckin seriously son. He dont want no failures happenin unless he involved. No chains snatched…no faces smacked…no nothin. A dude falls off his bike in the park….he wants IN.
PumpkinHead 1:22 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:

Same here. Shame though.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:17 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Same here. Shame though.

well, you could def write a nice lil chapter about forum etiquette in your 'DJ Code of Ethics' book....lmao
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:19 PM - 14 November, 2013
LMAO @ defense....

Man, the "quotes" tell the story!

And cats are now posting homemade Manifestos!

You can't make this stuff up!

LOL!
RobDJ dotcom 2:19 PM - 14 November, 2013
I'm waiting for-
"You and me. Bike racks. 3:15. This afternoon you die."
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:21 PM - 14 November, 2013
Does "dying" from laughter count?

The "3" stick together! I think that's noble of them.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:25 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:

they are right... ever since you got that avatar...you've been takin that ish seriously...lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:28 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

they are right... ever since you got that avatar...you've been takin that ish seriously...lol

Of course you think that....

It's your job.

Unlike Tommy who HAS no job!

Man listen....

Ethics are loosely based on a set of inferred "Rules"...

But that's led by a guy who thinks all cops are "Pigs"....

Thus no respect for "Authority"....

Yep, makes for a great example...

Bwhahahahahahahahahaha.

Again, you can't make this stuff up.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:29 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's your job.

Man listen....

Bwhahahahahahahahahaha.

*Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn*
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:31 PM - 14 November, 2013
It's alright man, no need to be "a-scared" anymore...

I told you he was "Harmless"....
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:35 PM - 14 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's your job.

Man listen....

Bwhahahahahahahahahaha.

*Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn*
cosign
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:23 PM - 14 November, 2013
LMAO like all of you co-signing means anything....
AKIEM 4:38 PM - 14 November, 2013
Blah, blah, blah....
panta rhei 12:34 PM - 16 November, 2013
@ Akiem & DJJohnny - you both are well capable of writing sensible and intelligent comments but when it comes to you both, it's getting silly - no more Roxanne, please

Back to topic: Rule 1: Never play weak shit (Don't fake the funk or your nose will grow), rule 2: keep your skills up to the standard (or above) --> practice. Everything else can be subsumed, like not to play weak shit you gotta know what's weak --> you gotta be a crate digger etc.
DJ GaFFle 1:58 PM - 16 November, 2013
This Thread = Hilarious

(NM)
AKIEM 4:43 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
@ Akiem & DJJohnny - you both are well capable of writing sensible and intelligent comments but when it comes to you both, it's getting silly - no more Roxanne, please

Back to topic: Rule 1: Never play weak shit (Don't fake the funk or your nose will grow), rule 2: keep your skills up to the standard (or above) --> practice. Everything else can be subsumed, like not to play weak shit you gotta know what's weak --> you gotta be a crate digger etc.

It's been pretty "silly" for quite a while - some people are entertained by it as well. Now maybe its a stretch but I think it's a perfect example of a DJ who never developed any ethics vs one who has.

Quote:

Now, I never intended to hold myself up as an example, but thinking about it - I can.

I call cops pigs because most police departments are corrupt institutions who themselves act counter too, and have no respect for authority. My disdain for them, at its root is MY respect for authority. I respect DJ Ethics (you don't) and I despise courupiton (you don't).

so makes perfect sense.

See, before this dude came to this board it was much more civil here. But this guy with his elaborate troll tactics stretched the boundaries (getting himself banned a couple time in the process - I don't even know what the mf is doing here). So be happy the fella focuses so much energy on me - it saves the board from all the running amok he would be doing. Fella has no ethics.

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 4:54 PM - 16 November, 2013
^well written.
panta rhei 5:06 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
But this guy with his elaborate troll tactics

If you think he's a troll don't feed him
AKIEM 5:07 PM - 16 November, 2013
LOLz
AKIEM 5:14 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Right, see he is not a simple troll. He is an 'elaborate troll' and the only real way to deal with one in this situation is to try and spin as many lessons off his antics as possible. Elaborate trolls will eat regardless because they go deep cover and dupe most people most of the time - I happen to understand what he is doing, so I play along, for the fun, but also for the illustration.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:40 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:

None of that has anything to do with ethics
panta rhei 6:31 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:

??? 'Don't fake the funk or your nose will grow' has nothing to to with ethics? It's the Pinocchio theory and that puppet was a liar. Tell Bootsy that ;-)
And the most unethical thing I heard a DJ do was Grandmaster Jay stealing Jazzy Jeff's Peter Piper routine. If he had followed my rule 2 he hadn't had to.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:46 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:

Now, I never intended to hold myself up as an example, but thinking about it - I can.

I call cops pigs because ....

blah, blah..blah...

Quote:

See, before this dude came to this board it was much more civil here. But this guy with his elaborate troll tactics stretched the boundaries (getting himself banned a couple time in the process - I don't even know what the mf is doing here). So be happy the fella focuses so much energy on me - it saves the board from all the running amok he would be doing. Fella has no ethics.

Wonder Twin Powers - Activate - www.djjohnnym.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:48 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Ha, are you kidding?

He CAN'T stop referencing me...

Even in threads that I haven't even POSTED IN...

It's already been shown that he fits the profile of a Serial "something"....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:49 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:
^well written.

www.djjohnnym.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:57 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:

Right, see he is not a simple troll. He is an 'elaborate troll' and the only real way to deal with one in this situation is to try and spin as many lessons off his antics as possible. Elaborate trolls will eat regardless because they go deep cover and dupe most people most of the time - I happen to understand what he is doing, so I play along, for the fun, but also for the illustration.

Wow, you just admitted that you are actively following me around the board...

Really?

Just like ya' boy said -

Quote:

But here's the funny part about this whole thing..

You say this -
Quote:
See, before this dude came to this board it was much more civil here. But this guy with his elaborate troll tactics stretched the boundaries (getting himself banned a couple time in the process - I don't even know what the mf is doing here). So be happy the fella focuses so much energy on me - it saves the board from all the running amok he would be doing. Fella has no ethics. -

But when it REALLY comes down to it, YOU'RE the one recognized as the one with the "tactics" as outlined here -serato.com
Quote:
ChrisD 5:20 PM - 20 April, 2010
AKIEM,

You're wasting everyone's time (most importantly mine) by using this forum to bitch about another forum user.

Quit it and find something more constructive to do with your time.

Looks like nothings changed, huh?

Again, the actual "Quotes" tell the story....
panta rhei 11:02 PM - 16 November, 2013
^ Give me a fucking break. Akiem is right about you
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:09 PM - 16 November, 2013
Quote:

lol! That I pulled out quotes from 2010 where it proves my point?

LMAO!
DJ Remix Detroit 12:07 AM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO!

And u dont see a problem with this? Ooooookaaaaaay.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:50 AM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO!

And u dont see a problem with this? Ooooookaaaaaay.

Just sayin...

Ain't nuffin' changed! :-D
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:44 AM - 17 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

??? 'Don't fake the funk or your nose will grow' has nothing to to with ethics? It's the Pinocchio theory and that puppet was a liar. Tell Bootsy that ;-)
And the most unethical thing I heard a DJ do was Grandmaster Jay stealing Jazzy Jeff's Peter Piper routine. If he had followed my rule 2 he hadn't had to.

True, but that had NOTHING to do with what you said. You said dont play weak shit, practice, dig crates. None of which deal with ethics.
RobDJ dotcom 11:00 PM - 17 November, 2013
^ Has 'tactics'
AKIEM 1:18 AM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Wow, you just admitted that you are actively following me around the board...

Really?

Just like ya' boy said -

Quote:

But here's the funny part about this whole thing..

You say this -
Quote:
See, before this dude came to this board it was much more civil here. But this guy with his elaborate troll tactics stretched the boundaries (getting himself banned a couple time in the process - I don't even know what the mf is doing here). So be happy the fella focuses so much energy on me - it saves the board from all the running amok he would be doing. Fella has no ethics. -

But when it REALLY comes down to it, YOU'RE the one recognized as the one with the "tactics" as outlined here -serato.com
Quote:
ChrisD 5:20 PM - 20 April, 2010
AKIEM,

You're wasting everyone's time (most importantly mine) by using this forum to bitch about another forum user.

Quit it and find something more constructive to do with your time.

Looks like nothings changed, huh?

Again, the actual "Quotes" tell the story....

That's all?

Ha
panta rhei 12:21 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
^ Has 'tactics'

Exactly. I think we should define the term ethics at this point. Quoting from en.wikipedia.org "Applied ethics is a discipline of philosophy that attempts to apply ethical theory to real-life situations. The discipline has many specialized fields, such as Engineering Ethics, bioethics, geoethics, public service ethics and business ethics.".
Our field is DJ Ethics and, Bezzle, I concede I left out the ethical theory ;-)
AKIEM 5:16 AM - 19 November, 2013
eth·ic (thk)
n.
a. A set of principles of right conduct.
b. A theory or a system of moral values: "An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain" (Gregg Easterbrook).
2. ethics (used with a sing. verb) The study of the general nature of morals and of the specific moral choices to be made by a person; moral philosophy.
3. ethics (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession: medical ethics.
RobDJ dotcom 1:41 PM - 19 November, 2013
"DJ Ethics" is "More what you call guidelines than actual rules"
AKIEM 5:05 PM - 1 April, 2015
bump

LMAO @ how much truth lives in this thread.
AKIEM 10:32 PM - 5 April, 2015