Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

DDJSX freezes and needs to be restarted. Laptop continues to function

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
D.J. FLOW 5:49 AM - 7 July, 2013
2013 MacBook Air i5 4gb Memory 126 gb SSD
Pioneer DDJSX Firmware 1.07 (FREEZES RANDOMLY) MUSIC CONTINUES TO PLAY BUT THE DDJSX HAS TO BE RESTARTED.

DOESNT HAVE THIS ISSUE WITH 2012 MACBOOK PRO

VCI-300 1.7.1 DOESNT SEEM TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS
LARGE LIBRARY
D.J. FLOW 4:43 AM - 10 July, 2013
I could almost recreate it every time when I scratch a few seconds after its fully open. The controller becomes completely unresponsive all lights stay lit but only the master volume can be controlled.
D.J. FLOW 4:44 AM - 10 July, 2013
Also there is no music in the laptop. Only on an external harddrive.
D.J. FLOW 6:07 AM - 11 July, 2013
Today it froze on my VCI-300MKll the same exact way.
D.J. FLOW 6:08 AM - 11 July, 2013
Is there maybe a setting in the MacBook air
Marchino 12:02 AM - 12 July, 2013
I have the same problem. I bought this week macbook air 1.3 ghz. Today in the evening after about an hour of work you lock the LED of my pioneer ddjsx. the music continues and I can also stop it trammite the mouse. However, the controller does not work anymore except the master volume.
Please help me!
before I had a macbook pro 15 and this did not happen
Marchino 12:04 AM - 12 July, 2013
for it to work again I have to get out of Serato DJ and return
D.J. FLOW 3:12 AM - 12 July, 2013
No my hard drive is not full and it doesn't happen with the MacBook Pro 2012. I need to know soon so that I can decide whether to return my MacBook Air. I have 2 weeks left.
Marchino 5:12 AM - 12 July, 2013
Nome modello: MacBook Air
Identificatore modello: MacBookAir6,2
Nome processore: Intel Core i5
Velocità processore: 1,3 GHz
Numero di processori: 1
Numero totale di Core: 2
Cache L2 (per Core): 256 KB
Cache L3: 3 MB
Memoria: 4 GB
Versione Boot ROM: MBA61.0099.B00
Versione SMC (sistema): 2.13f5
Numero di serie (sistema): C02KV2HQF5V8
Hardware UUID: 70999348-DF04-5B69-860F-49130D382A47
Marchino 5:26 AM - 12 July, 2013
i buy 3 day ago. It's a new macbook Air of Apple
Marchino 5:41 AM - 12 July, 2013
i post a messagge in the 2 hour i play in console of mac:

11/07/13 22:44:16,115 PluginProcess[429]: Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
acOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Con
tents/MacOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn,262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
acOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn:mach-o, but wrong architecture
11/07/13 22:44:16,115 PluginProcess[429]: Cannot find function pointer New_SHP_PlugIn for factory 834FC054-C1CC-11D6-BD01-00039315CD46 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7f92fcc0d830 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
11/07/13 22:54:51,585 Mail[438]: Using V2 Layout
11/07/13 22:54:51,690 com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Session 100024 created
11/07/13 22:54:54,927 librariand[440]: MMe quota status changed: under quota
11/07/13 22:54:58,864 com.apple.XType.FontHelper[448]: FontHelper: message received. (<dictionary: 0x7fe702c1d020> { count = 2, contents =
"query" => <string: 0x7fe702c1d180> { length = 102, contents = "com_apple_ats_name_postscript == "Calibri" && kMDItemContentTypeTree != com.adobe.postscript-lwfn-font" }
"restricted" => <bool: 0x7fff779a0320>: true
})
11/07/13 22:54:58,865 com.apple.XType.FontHelper[448]: AutoActivation: scopes (
"/Library/Application Support/Apple/Fonts"
)
11/07/13 23:14:38,196 coreaudiod[148]: Enabled automatic stack shots because audio IO is inactive
11/07/13 23:14:41,000 kernel[0]: USB (XHCI Root Hub USB 2.0 Simulation):Port 2 on bus 0xa connected or disconnected: portSC(0xe0206e1)
11/07/13 23:14:47,077 MIDIServer[463]: MIDIServer [463] starting; arch=x86_64
11/07/13 23:14:47,248 coreaudiod[148]: Disabled automatic stack shots because audio IO is active
11/07/13 23:14:50,894 coreaudiod[148]: Enabled automatic stack shots because audio IO is inactive
11/07/13 23:14:51,160 coreaudiod[148]: Disabled automatic stack shots because audio IO is active
11/07/13 23:18:31,166 System Preferences[465]: Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
acOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Con
tents/MacOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn,262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin/Contents/M
acOS/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn:mach-o, but wrong architecture
11/07/13 23:18:31,166 System Preferences[465]: Cannot find function pointer New_SHP_PlugIn for factory 834FC054-C1CC-11D6-BD01-00039315CD46 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x7f9b6ce2e750 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/SeratoVirtualAudioPlugIn.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)
D.J. FLOW 7:56 AM - 14 July, 2013
HELLO HERE IS THE FILE THAT YOU REQUESTED. THANK YOU
7:56 AM, 14 Jul 2013
D.J. FLOW attached a file: MacBook Air.spx
Download· Permalink
Dudu P 2:04 AM - 15 July, 2013
I do have this very same issue with my DDJ-SX and a 2013 11" MacBook Air base model and OS X 10.8.4.

It happens when I'm making heavy use of the jog wheel, like scratching. The midi controller freezes (all the leds get frozen) but Serato keeps running, and music keeps playing as well. All the controls get unresponsive, with the exception of the hardware mixer (i.e. Master volume, Headphone volume etc).

This is the first time I've used the SX with this MacBook Air. I'll keep on investigating, I believe there might be something related to new USB drivers/chipset on the Haswell CPUs.
3:52 AM, 15 Jul 2013
Dudu P attached a file: Dudu P MacBook Air.spx
Download· Permalink
Dudu P 4:03 AM - 15 July, 2013
Hi Aaron E,

The last 4 digits for the serial number of my MacBook Air are F5N7.

I've uploaded the SPX file as requested.

The freeze is very easy to reproduce, all you need to do is start to perform some scratching and after a couple of minutes it'll freeze. Usually it's quicker if you play 2 tracks and perform the scratching on a 3rd deck, but YMMV.

I can easily reproduce it on both v 1.2.0 and 1.2.1, on top of OS X 10.8.4.

I was not able to reproduce it using any other control, just the left jog wheel.
Dudu P 4:12 AM - 15 July, 2013
Yes.

6,1 is the 11 inch, while the 6,2 is the 13 inch. Both are 2013, Haswell CPUs.

I'll try using an USB hub tomorrow, I'll see if I can borrow one.

I also forgot to mention that I don't have any issues running at all on my 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro under 10.9 beta 3.
Dudu P 4:37 AM - 15 July, 2013
I believe it should be related to the Intel controller hub chipset for Haswell. Problem is, Apple is not marking them anymore, making it impossible to tell if they are the same:

www.ifixit.com

www.ifixit.com

I remember that my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro doesn't work properly with USB 3G Modems, you need to use a USB 2.0 hub for OS X to be able to detect it. I've read it was related to the USB 3.0 ports on all 2012 Macs. However I've never ever had an issue with the DDJ-SX, so my guess is that we might have a new USB controller for the 2013 MacBook Airs (and probably will have the same for the forthcoming MacBook Pros as well).

I've take a good look on Apple and MacRumors forums and I've found a few threads regarding issues with external drives, but nothing conclusive so far. Will keep on looking and test my setup with an USB hub ASAP tomorrow.

Cheers and good luck
rlphrz 5:55 AM - 15 July, 2013
I too have the exact same problem with the brand new MacBook Air 6,2 with the Haswell processor 1.3 GHz i5. The company I work for bought 3 DDJ SX's and all three have frozen on me, during gigs! I have an old Hercules controller that runs TRAKTOR that has yet to freeze with this MacBook. What the flip is going on??!! I bought this MacBook specifically to DJ with it should work.
Seratobel 8:40 PM - 15 July, 2013
Ok i think that there are several posts discussing the same issue here: serato.com
Could a moderator merge the two?

Question: could this be linked to a specific mac os x version?
Seratobel 9:01 PM - 15 July, 2013
I tried the USB hub thing.
Two different options:
1. Self powered USB 2.0 hub => crashes after 5 min;
2. USB 3.0 hub with separate power supply => crashes after 1 hour;

I really would like to know if this can be (will) be solved, just purchased the new MBA specifically for djing...
rlphrz 9:58 PM - 15 July, 2013
10.8.4 and I tried using Serato DJ 1.2.1 and it still freezes
Dudu P 1:00 AM - 16 July, 2013
Quote:
*ALSO* Could I ask everybody to download and install Serato DJ 1.2.1 which launched yesterday so we can confirm the issue still exists when using this latest version.

It does happen on 1.2.1 the very same way on 1.2.0
Dudu P 2:08 AM - 16 July, 2013
Aaron,

Regarding the USB hub, I've just run a couple of tests using both an non-powered as well a powered USB 2.0 hubs, and I could easily freeze the SX after less than a couple of minutes of scratching.

If anything, I have a feeling that the USB hub made it even more suscetible to freezing.

PLMK if you need anything else from me, I'm here to help as much as I can.
Dudu P 2:22 AM - 16 July, 2013
I also happen to have a spare DDJ-WeGO (yeah, yeah, i know). I've just performed a quick test on it, and I'm able to reproduce the bug as well.

The WeGO is far more stable than the SX. It took way far more time to freeze, like more than 5 minutes. And when it froze, it took only like 4 to 5 seconds to recover and become responsive again. Sound was never interrupted, and Serato DJ performed normally as it would.

However, I've tried to force it even more by performing uzi scratching on both platters, and in less than a minute I've managed to totally freeze it. Sound stopped as well, but I believe itãs because both jogs are stuck as if I were holding them, because they won't play new tracks I drop using the trackpad. It's been more than 5 minutes like that, so I've just shut it off.

Hope it may help. Unfortunately I don't have my previous Numark and Novation devices anymore, I think it would be a good idea to test them as well, to see if it's a general issue or just specific to Pioneer hardware.

Cheers
Mixxula 2:41 AM - 16 July, 2013
Quote:
Cool, thanks Dudu P.

Hi Aaron. What do you need from me on this? Thanks in advance! -M-
Asu 3:15 AM - 16 July, 2013
Personally i think a Macbook air isn't suited for Serato DJ,the bottle neck is not the CPU alone but the very very low voltage the whole system uses including low voltage RAM...i know a couple of people are having issues with the Macbook air...i'd recommend the 13 inch Macbook pro at a minimum as it's power requirements can keep up with the DDJ-SX constant communication and DJ duties as the Night goes on...the new Macbook air Haswell i5 peaks out at 15watts,so it can't even maintain it's burst speed for long thus leading to the crushes...and forget about video cause that will crash for sure especially on looping a video.

My Lady uses the Air for school and that's about it.for DJing i'm using a Mid 2009 Macbook pro with Nvidia 512 GT Card with Zero issues even with a slower core 2 Duo compared to the new i5,so i think it's a power issue we're facing here...the CPU and everything else looks good but the power is too low in my opinion.

This is from Wikipedia about the Ultra low Voltage processor in the Macbook Air

"15 W TDP processors for the Ultrabook platform leading to reduced heat which results in thinner as well as lighter Ultrabooks, but performance level will be lower"

Now the New Macbook Pros coming out later this year will use the i7 in the 15 model and the base one is 47W/ @ 2.4 GHz to 55W/ 3.2 GHz turbo boost :-)
Asu 3:21 AM - 16 July, 2013
Monitor CPU usage and you'll see what i mean,it peaks out and runs out of gas...no more power to do all your tricks :-) resulting in a crash
D.J. FLOW 4:06 AM - 16 July, 2013
First it was: After all of these updates my PC could no longer handle my large library. So I dish out 2 Grand for a Mac Pro. ALL GOOD. But I need a backup so I purchase a Mac Mini to save some money. ALL GOOD but wait that's kind of a pain because now I have to carry mouse keyboard and monitor seperately. So I dish out another $1100 and S***@@##T now I have to return this damn thing.
D.J. FLOW 4:39 AM - 16 July, 2013
THIS FILE IS ATTN: MARTIN
Marchino 6:11 AM - 16 July, 2013
The real interesting questions are:
Can in the future macbook air work without problem with serato dj?
can i work without worries?
Macbook Air is suitable for this job?

Now i work with my old macbook pro 15'' and my New Air is parking at home.

Thanks
Seratobel 6:53 AM - 16 July, 2013
@Marchino
As ASU mentions this can be linked to the low voltage system of the whole Haswell configuration. If this is the case I doubt that there will be a solution to solve the problem...
Just purchased a two thousand buck' MBA and may as well just throw it in the garbage...
Mixxula 11:22 AM - 16 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Aaron. What do you need from me on this? Thanks in advance! -M-

Hey Mixxula

Can you confirm for me that you have a Model Identifier of 6,1 or 6,2. You can get this by clicking on:

- The apple, top left
- 'About this Mac'
- 'More Info'
- 'System Report'

Cheers

-----

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.12f133
Serial Number (system): C02L10J3F5YV
Hardware UUID: C513C297-6AA1-5FFB-9A64-5948617DDB12
Mixxula 1:37 AM - 17 July, 2013
Aaron thanks so much for the reply, efforts, and transparency. I did hit the return deadline so I returned it. I'll stick with the 2011 Air until this gets resolved then repurchase. Mums the word!

Cheers! -M-
rlphrz 1:55 AM - 17 July, 2013
Aaron,

Thank you so much, this is how things like this should be handled by all companies doing business with consumers. Appreciate your diligence and work in getting this issue resolved as I'm sure its effecting more people then we know.

You're the man!
Dudu P 3:28 AM - 17 July, 2013
Quote:
Monitor CPU usage and you'll see what i mean,it peaks out and runs out of gas...no more power to do all your tricks :-) resulting in a crash

Asu,

Allow me to totally disagree with you. This issue does not have any relation to CPU usage.

Tons of people are using MacBook Airs since their very beginning with Serato and all sorts for years. The current models have CPU stronger than the MacBook Pro 13" from late 2011, rest assured on that. You must be fogetting that the current Intel processors can Turbo Boost unto way higher clock frequencies when necessary. Also, there's absolutely no differente between the 11" and 13" models, they use the very same parts across the board, the only difference between them are regarding battery, display and an SD card reader on the 13".

MIDI protocal cannot put under stress any CPU built in the last 10 years. And this issue is totally MIDI related. Shoud it be something related playing all 4 decks with full on effects while playing 1080p flash videos, I would make a little more sense. But even that wouldn't be able to put these CPUs under such stress. Trust me.

This issue is totally related to the new Haswell CPU and companion chipsets, and probably is gonna affect all the other forthcoming Macs, should they come out before a fix, which we all hope Aaron and the others guys from Serato will be able to achieve soon enough.

Cheers.
D.J. FLOW 3:33 AM - 17 July, 2013
Can somebody thank me for starting this? Just sayin. When I called Apple no one had heard anything nor our serato friends.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Tom Stoffer 4:06 AM - 17 July, 2013
FYI, its my new laptop that we've been testing on here at Serato and believe you me, I want this fixed as much as you guys. As a developer I can say that this will be made a priority to fix ASAP. Will keep you guys posted :)
D.J. FLOW 4:09 AM - 17 July, 2013
Lol. No Problem.
Dudu P 11:40 AM - 17 July, 2013
Yes, thank you DJ Flow! :)
Dudu P 11:48 AM - 17 July, 2013
Aaron,

Regarding using other USB devices, I have been using an USB 3.0 Flash Drive with no issues or hiccups at all. However, as we both know, mass storage devices involve so less complexity that I don't think it's a valid thing. And this is the kind of device that Apple QA probably tested against so I don't think we might be seeing problems related to that.

I think the biggest contribution as of now will be testing Serato devices from manufacturers other than Pioneer, like Numark, Vestax, etc and see if there's any different behavior.

Cheers
Seratobel 12:45 PM - 17 July, 2013
@Aaron
Thanks for the good work, I really hope you will be able to solve this thing.

In the meantime I unfortunately returned the MBA as I could not take the financial risk that no solution would be found. The shop agreed to take it back and charged me with 50$.

I was quite disappointed to bring back such a nice piece of equipment...hope you can find a solution so that I can repurchase one :)
djrose1506 2:14 PM - 17 July, 2013
Hi guys, I have 2 upcoming gigs on Thursday and Saturday. I will start to use my Air 13 2013 and when it crashes I will switch to my Air 13 2012 which (thank god) I didn´t put on eBay yet. I really hope we get this solved soon!
Asu 12:46 AM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Asu,

Allow me to totally disagree with you. This issue does not have any relation to CPU usage.

Tons of people are using MacBook Airs since their very beginning with Serato and all sorts for years. The current models have CPU stronger than the MacBook Pro 13" from late 2011, rest assured on that. You must be fogetting that the current Intel processors can Turbo Boost unto way higher clock frequencies when necessary. Also, there's absolutely no differente between the 11" and 13" models, they use the very same parts across the board, the only difference between them are regarding battery, display and an SD card reader on the 13".

MIDI protocal cannot put under stress any CPU built in the last 10 years. And this issue is totally MIDI related. Shoud it be something related playing all 4 decks with full on effects while playing 1080p flash videos, I would make a little more sense. But even that wouldn't be able to put these CPUs under such stress. Trust me.

This issue is totally related to the new Haswell CPU and companion chipsets, and probably is gonna affect all the other forthcoming Macs, should they come out before a fix, which we all hope Aaron and the others guys from Serato will be able to achieve soon enough.

Cheers.

you maybe right,i was just throwing some ideas out there...could be the new tech/hardware too...
Asu 12:48 AM - 18 July, 2013
in any case,return and get something usable for now,i'd hate to pay so much and deal with what you guys are facing :-(
Dudu P 1:32 AM - 18 July, 2013
Quote:
you maybe right,i was just throwing some ideas out there...could be the new tech/hardware too...

No problems, Asu. Unfortunately Apple did refresh only the MacBook Air, so we don't have any other Macs for us to compare, so it makes things more difficult than what they are.

Quote:
in any case,return and get something usable for now,i'd hate to pay so much and deal with what you guys are facing :-(

No way! :)
I can't live without a 10-12hr battery anymore, and I don't think anyone should do! Sooner or later the Serato crew we'll be able to crack this one and everything is gonna be fine.
:)
Seratobel 7:14 AM - 18 July, 2013
Guys, FYI I opened a thread a few days ago on the pioneer forum as well.
I informed them of the issue with the new macbook air and they will start digging into it.
Thread is to be found here:
forums.pioneerdj.com

Cheers
SANDRO RIERA 2:24 PM - 19 July, 2013
I have the same problem with new Macbook air mid 2013
Asu 2:01 AM - 21 July, 2013
They'll fix it i'm sure but it'll take time...
D.J. FLOW 4:14 AM - 21 July, 2013
Well guys I had to return my MacBook Air today. It really hurt because I was looking forward to see that little baby shine. Good Luck with the solution. I'll be listening.
Dudu P 5:55 PM - 21 July, 2013
Asu, with bugs you never ever know how long it's gonna take to fix it. Biggest problem for the developers is being able to reproduce it, which luckily they can.

Sorry to see you go, DJ Flow.

I'll keep mine and be around, we're gonna need people to run tests and potential fixes.

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:52 PM - 21 July, 2013
Thanks Seratobel for raising this with Pioneer in their forum, good to keep them in the loop. Sorry to see you have to take it back FLOW, hopefully it won't be too long before you can go and get it again :)

And yes Asu and Dudu P, remedying issues like this can be a little unpredictable. Fortunately, this issue has got the attention of our best people and they are looking into it. If things go a bit quiet from time to time, rest assured it's not because we have forgotten about you, it's just because there is nothing new or substantive to share.

Thanks for the offer to test Dudu P, I'll definitely let you know if we have something we would like to beta.

And welcome Sandro :) Keep in the loop here.
DJ freestylefrenzy 1:35 AM - 23 July, 2013
just want to track this thread.

posted the same problem in the vci 380 help thread.

for now my NEW workflow is this

I use vci 380 with MBA 2013 and I use an ipad connected to the line inputs of the vci 380.

when it crashes. I switch to an ipad for that quick 2 minutes for when I have to restart the software.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:53 AM - 23 July, 2013
Thanks for that DJ freestylefrenzy

Good way to get around it for now, for sure. FYI we have also found that this issue is almost always triggered by platter use. I'm not sure if that can be of help to any of you, but avoiding the platters where possible (particularly scratching with loops) should help.

I'm well aware that neither of these ideas are at all satisfactory, but anything is better than nothing while we try to get to the bottom of this. We've got some crack developers on it as I speak so we'll hopefully have the issue isolated before too long and can then identify what exactly needs to be fixed.

Just to put it out there, depending on the exact nature of the root issue, we at Serato may not be able to fix this issue ourselves. I'll let you know if this is the case, but it may mean that the timetable for a resolution could be out of our control.

First things first though...

Cheers
DJ freestylefrenzy 2:02 AM - 23 July, 2013
hey aaron. Just wanted to give you also a heads up.
ITCH 2.2.2 and vci 380 and MBA 2013 is giving the same result

This weekend I will play on SSL and I will give you an update on that as well.

On the brighter side of things. I LOVE serato Remote. Good job on serato team for that. I chose to buy the app versus spending money on dicers or an x1 to control SSL.

cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:42 AM - 23 July, 2013
Thanks for that man, that's good info. I hadn't tested the VCI-380 with ITCH. Definitely let me know if you have any issues with Scratch Live as I haven't been able to produce any issues there as of yet.

Haha, thanks regarding Serato Remote. It's been very well received and we're really happy with it. Enjoy!

Cheers
nFiX 8:40 PM - 23 July, 2013
This message has been moved to a new discussion: serato.com

Hi guys, same problem here with Macbook AIR 13, 2013 i5 8GB ram.
But I already have Macbook AIR 13, 2011 i5, 4GB ram, OSX 10.8.4. and there is similar problem.

I already played about 30 parties with SX, but last two (all with my OLD AIR) I have this lags.
One party - 5x lag / 2 hours - DDJ-SX became unresponsive but was still playing music but no matter what buttons I pressed nothing worked, all the lights were frozen. Weirld is I must played one track from CDJ, so I played it and i try to stop music (playing deck) from serato with hardware switch from PC to CD os SX and music still playing from serato... Hardware switch is Software switch???

After that at home I reinstalled OSX, Serato and update SX firmware to 1.07. At home is everything ok, 7 hours set, two days testing and no lag!!!

Next week I played at Open Air party. After 3 minut first lag - macbook went completely black. My monitor shut off, keyboard back lighting turned off, music stopped. This must caused Serato or SX. Again I restarted Macbook and SX. Next lag after 10 minutes - SX looks like turned off, just volume indicator shone frozen. Serato say no hardware connected - it happened 3x...

I have two ideas because as I said It happens on my Macbook 2011 and 2013 - Problem may be due fluctuation in the electricity network with AC adapter and SX lag or some OSX update? This is really big problem for me, cause Iam on party every week :( .......
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:26 AM - 24 July, 2013
Hey nFiX

I've split your post off into another thread over here: serato.com as you seem to be experiencing a different issue with your 2011 MBAir. Feel free to keep checking in here to stay abreast of the issue with the latest 2013 model, but I'll deal with the other issue in the other thread.

Cheers
DJ Somnii 7:21 PM - 24 July, 2013
i have the same f****** problem. my ddj sx freezees every 5 minutes.....

here my specs:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.13f5
Serial Number (system): C02KX3LWF6T5
Hardware UUID: 8C7515DF-6402-50D7-9D9E-9638954B79B5

neeeeeeed help :-)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:03 PM - 24 July, 2013
Hey DJ Somnil

Probably the best way for you to come to terms with this issue would be to read this thread from the top. Let me know if you have any questions after that.

Cheers
DJ Somnii 9:28 PM - 24 July, 2013
hello aaron. i read the thread before i wrote my post. i tried everything.....nothing helps....i hope serato or pioneer will solve this problem as soon as possible. it's not really cool at a gig to restart the controller 5 times in a 1 hout gig........
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:12 PM - 24 July, 2013
Cool man, I completely understand that this is a terrible issue for playing live.

Unfortunately, there is nothing either Serato or Pioneer can currently do as the issue is related to new hardware/firmware from Apple. This is not to say it's Apple's fault as such, it's just that we can't change the way they do things and will need to investigate exactly what they have changed and how that is affecting MIDI connection with audio devices.

Stay tuned here for any updates.
DJ Somnii 10:20 PM - 24 July, 2013
hey aaron, thx for this information. what do you think, how long will it takes? 10 days? 30 days? a few month?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:27 PM - 24 July, 2013
Unfortunately we just can't say right now. For all we know, Apple will have this fixed in the 10.8.5 update that is due out soon... or not. It could also be a generational change in chipset specifications and functionality for Apple and the whole world will have to adapt to it.

As I suggested to other people on this thread above, if you are in a sales-return window, I would hate to see you lose out waiting for this to be fixed. I'm not telling you to take it back, but I'm not telling you to hold onto it either.

Stay tuned for further info as it becomes available.
DJ Somnii 10:51 PM - 24 July, 2013
this means serato is in touch with apple regarding this problem?
did you test it with this build? release 2F23 of 10.8.5

blog.shade.sh
Asu 11:02 PM - 24 July, 2013
for now guys i'd suggest you increase your USB buffer size to 10Ms/512 or more...that may help reduce the number of crashes :-) try it and let us know also avoid Platters/scratching/backspins :-)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:27 PM - 24 July, 2013
Quote:
for now guys i'd suggest you increase your USB buffer size to 10Ms/512 or more...that may help reduce the number of crashes :-) try it and let us know also avoid Platters/scratching/backspins :-)

Yes true, both of these should help lessen the frequency of the issue occurring.

Cheers Asu :)
DJ Somnii 4:45 PM - 25 July, 2013
Hello my friends

I just installed this: mirror.shade.sh

After the installation i tried everthing to freeze the unit........without "luck".
Problem solved :-) hell yeah!!!!

Cheers
Marchino 8:40 PM - 25 July, 2013
now i play with sl3 in internal mode with cdj 2000 and ,when i play, automaticaly the loop turn on and cue point automaticaly memorize. it's impossible to play. the song do in loop when the computer want and not when i click.
Now i try with control cd in absolute mode.
Asu 9:44 PM - 25 July, 2013
Quote:
Hello my friends

After the installation i tried everthing to freeze the unit........without "luck".

Cheers

That's still a beta Release...the 6th one i believe...but if it works,hey why not,though your link is dead...hope it worked which proves it was never a Serato DJ issue,but New Haswell Hardware issue :-)
DJ Somnii 10:08 PM - 25 July, 2013
Quote:
Hello my friends

Cheers

mirror.shade.sh
DJ Somnii 10:09 PM - 25 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Hello my friends

Cheers

mirror.shade.sh

strange.........this forum kills the link.......

last try: "mirror.shade.sh
DJ Somnii 10:10 PM - 25 July, 2013
sorry for spamming :-)

cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:22 PM - 25 July, 2013
Haha, no worries, thanks for the info DJ Somnii. We've been planning on testing this and will let you know how it goes for us. Remember, betas are not necessarily primary release candidates.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 4:19 AM - 26 July, 2013
Hey everybody

Good news and bad news :)

From our testing so far 10.8.5 appears to fix the issue. This tells us that the kernal released with your MB Airs probably contained a bug, most likely with the USB emulation code. If you can get your hands on a beta version (^ hint, hint ^), then you should find that this resolves the issue.

The risk remains though that there will be other issues in the beta release so the risk/reward is entirely yours to calculate. the public release is expected in late August/early September if you would prefer to wait.

Hit me with any questions you may have and thanks for all your input in helping us identify the issue.

Cheers
Aaron
Dudu P 12:49 AM - 30 July, 2013
Aaron,

Thanks for the great news! Will give it a try as soon as I can.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:08 AM - 30 July, 2013
Great man, let me know how it goes for you.
rlphrz 9:41 PM - 30 July, 2013
Just installed beta 10.8.5, I should be good to go?

Ill test tonight.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:48 PM - 30 July, 2013
Let us know how it goes, man.

We did find that some controllers exhibited issues on the first try, but that re-starting resolved it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
voxdjcompany 2:07 AM - 1 August, 2013
aaron, thank you for investigating and being responsive with this issue. i was experiencing the same thing on my new MBA and was about to return the pioneer ddj-sx before updating to 10.8.5.

everything is working just fine now...no freezes as of yet during scratches, spinbacks, and the usual for at least a hour now.

ps should serato or pioneer state that this is a known issue and provide the workaround?

thanks!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:45 AM - 1 August, 2013
Thanks man, that's great to hear. Every success makes me feel a little better about this :)

Quote:
ps should serato or pioneer state that this is a known issue and provide the workaround?

Yes absolutely. I've been working on this with our hardware partners and will put it up soon.

Cheers
Joe S 3:27 AM - 1 August, 2013
Thank you for your hard work on this Aaron.

Whats the risk of installing that beta version if im not registered with Apple? Is it the same version that is available right now thru Apples Dev program (if i pay the $99)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 4:17 AM - 1 August, 2013
Hey Joe

As far as I know, the version linked above is exactly the same as the one currently available from Apple. Like I hinted before though, I'm not really in a position to be able to either suggest that link or recommend getting the beta itself.

All I'm really allowed to do is say that this issue appears to be resolved in the current 10.8.5 beta version and then leave it to you guys to make the call. Having said that, I can't envisage any dangers for your computer or applications from running the current beta version. We certainly haven't come across anything since we've been running it :)

I hope that gives you enough to make a decision on it, sorry I can't be more helpful.

Cheers
rlphrz 4:41 AM - 1 August, 2013
No skips or freezes with 10.8.5 for me!!!

Thank you Serato Team!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:20 AM - 1 August, 2013
Awesome!
Buckeye Jack 12:03 AM - 2 August, 2013
I had the same problem as everyone else, constant freezes with my brand new 2013 Macbook Air and DDJ-SX.

I installed the 10.8.5 beta 3 nights ago, and have played for HOURS and HOURS practicing for a few gigs and have had ZERO freezes after installing the beta.

I feel so much happier now.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:49 AM - 2 August, 2013
Great! Thanks for the info :)
DJ freestylefrenzy 2:54 AM - 2 August, 2013
I am happy to hear this. Hopefully now I can go back and start using my vci 380
nikodb 3:27 AM - 2 August, 2013
I somehow ended up in this thread...started reading and just couldn't stop...almost felt like a movie saving the world :) thumbs up for the teamwork :)
nFiX 5:42 AM - 2 August, 2013
Hi, MBA 2013 - after update to 10.8.5. I played 1 gig and 2 hours set at home with no issue! Thanks guys :)
Asu 5:05 PM - 2 August, 2013
I'm happy for you guys :-) it sucks when u spend so much to have this happen but glad apple fixed the issue...they must have realized other HID/USB devices were having issues :-)
zoolymusic 7:11 PM - 2 August, 2013
Had the same problem with my new MacBook Air 2013. Problem happened with novation twitch and ddj-sx. No problem with turntables & rane mixer. Installing 10.8.5 & will update on condition. Thank you for finding a solution!
zoolymusic 8:37 PM - 2 August, 2013
40mins in and no problems thank u!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:34 AM - 3 August, 2013
This is all awesome news everyone :)

As suspected, there were/are a lot more of you out there than the original crew on this thread. If you catch anyone out there wondering what's going on, please spread the word!

I'm definitely not going to start dissing on Apple (Great products guys, and props for fixing it so fast :), but I've definitely learnt something from this in how their release cycles seem to work and will probably wait for an OS update before purchasing new hardware in future. It's just so tempting sometimes to grab the new shinies as soon as they're out, but it seems they are best paired with an OS that is released after the units are.

Keep the reports coming in guys, every positive result pushes this further back in the rear view mirror!
DjAle.com 2:04 PM - 3 August, 2013
Helo everybody. Im been having the same problems.
i downloaded osx 10.8.5 12F30 combo but it wont install.

Please help im playing tonight!
Asu 4:59 PM - 3 August, 2013
Quote:
Helo everybody. Im been having the same problems.
i downloaded osx 10.8.5 12F30 combo but it wont install.

Please help im playing tonight!

You have to force it to install by right clicking on the downloaded file and open it that way...that may work for you...
Asu 5:12 PM - 3 August, 2013
DJAle...you also could have a corrupt file...it's as simple as double clicking on the 10.8.5 file and it should open right up
Erock33 4:32 PM - 15 August, 2013
Hi Guys,

Can you share a link to the Beta?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:28 PM - 15 August, 2013
serato.com

Cheers :)
Asu 2:36 AM - 16 August, 2013
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Can you share a link to the Beta?

I do have the beta i downloaded,guess i'll upload it somewhere and put the link here
Asu 3:44 AM - 16 August, 2013
There you go OS X 10.8.5 Build 12F33 blog.shade.sh
soundboyz 2:13 AM - 18 August, 2013
Mat-Ravers 11:59 PM - 19 August, 2013
so do i DL the delta or full combo
soundboyz 1:09 AM - 20 August, 2013
full combo
Mat-Ravers 1:14 AM - 20 August, 2013
Thank you sound boy I thought so and its working great I love technology and how fast stuff gets fixed p.l.u.r.
Asu 2:00 AM - 20 August, 2013
Glad to see you're all having success :-)
Kex 9:36 AM - 20 August, 2013
Sorted with 10.8.5

9:38 AM, 20 Aug 2013
Kex attached a file: IMG-20130501-WA0000.jpg
View· Permalink
soundboyz 7:35 PM - 23 August, 2013
welcome all
7:02 AM, 7 Sep 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.