Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Discussion split from 'DDJSX freezes and needs to be restarted. Laptop continues to function '

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
nFiX 8:40 PM - 23 July, 2013
Hi guys, same problem here with Macbook AIR 13, 2013 i5 8GB ram.
But I already have Macbook AIR 13, 2011 i5, 4GB ram, OSX 10.8.4. and there is similar problem.

I already played about 30 parties with SX, but last two (all with my OLD AIR) I have this lags.
One party - 5x lag / 2 hours - DDJ-SX became unresponsive but was still playing music but no matter what buttons I pressed nothing worked, all the lights were frozen. Weirld is I must played one track from CDJ, so I played it and i try to stop music (playing deck) from serato with hardware switch from PC to CD os SX and music still playing from serato... Hardware switch is Software switch???

After that at home I reinstalled OSX, Serato and update SX firmware to 1.07. At home is everything ok, 7 hours set, two days testing and no lag!!!

Next week I played at Open Air party. After 3 minut first lag - macbook went completely black. My monitor shut off, keyboard back lighting turned off, music stopped. This must caused Serato or SX. Again I restarted Macbook and SX. Next lag after 10 minutes - SX looks like turned off, just volume indicator shone frozen. Serato say no hardware connected - it happened 3x...

I have two ideas because as I said It happens on my Macbook 2011 and 2013 - Problem may be due fluctuation in the electricity network with AC adapter and SX lag or some OSX update? This is really big problem for me, cause Iam on party every week :( .......
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:22 AM - 24 July, 2013
Hey man

I've split this off from the other thread, because the issue we are dealing with there is specific to the latest Macbook Airs. Feel free to continue to join in over there if you are experiencing the controller freeze with your 2013 model, but we'll deal with the issues you are having with your 2011 model over here as they sound a bit different.

To be honest, it sounds like your 2011 machine may simply be having trouble running your setup. Can you tell me whether you are using an external HD and if so, how full it is and how you have it connected?

I agree that it sounds like it may be a power issue, is it possible for you to test using different power adapters for your MBAir and your DDJ-SX?

Cheers
nFiX 7:17 AM - 24 July, 2013
Hi Aaron E,

thanks but I have this problem with both - 2011 and 2013.. I have a question - I have MBA 2013 just for two days. I bought it specially for playing at party with serato and SX but now I dont know - let him or move back to Apple? Do you think you will be able to repare / fix this problem? I have bad feeling this is Apple's problem for example with drivers and as I know Apple - He dont want and dont try to fix it just for Serato users... :(

OK and now about my 2011 model:
I have all music at internal 256 GB SSD, free space is about 30%. Buffer is set to 10. (I played about 30 parties with this settings without problem)

I have second (new) power adapter for Macbook, so I try it and for SX I try to get different somewhere but my brother is electrician and measured voltage on SX power adapter - electric current is fine and stable.
If is problem due fluctuation in the electricity network why other Pioneer CDJ (800 and 2000) and DJM (900, 2000) play without problem and SX frozen? On last Open Air party they have all equipment, sound and light connected to one outlet but as I said other Pioneer equip was fine... And problem was also in club week before..

In friday I have next party in good club with good electrical (I played here 4x with SX without problem), just 2 hours set so I try new Macbook adapter and SX adapter and we will see...