Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Possible Solution for "slight audio glitches / drop-outs"

acemc 1:15 PM - 3 April, 2013
Many NS6 users have been experiencing slight audio glitches or drop-outs with SDJ since it was released for us. Adjusting latency, turning off wifi etc... didn't resolve this issue. I "think" I might have accidentally stumbled across a solution for this. I was asked by serato support to try removing my serato plist files from library/preferences in order to narrow down an fx issue I've been having. Whilst this didn't solve the fx issue, it seems to stopped the random audio glitches I was experiencing. It also seems to have stopped the glitch when selecting fx on different channels. Previously my FX unit wouldn't even switch off (although it showed it as off on-screen), now the fx unit actually switches off like it should & No More audio glitches when selecting fx on different channels. Please can anyone having this issue test this to see if this is actually a solution and not just an isolated "lucky" case.
Check this thread for better details on which files & where: serato.com
Note I actually only removed 1 (com.serato.dj.plist) of the 2 I should have.
Hope this helps.
FabulousFrequencies 5:31 PM - 3 April, 2013
I find it very hard to believe Serato would have a bug..
DJAlexander 5:55 PM - 3 April, 2013
@acemc

thanks for your information.

Do you use an apple-book? If yes, please let me know the details. I did switch to SDJ about 10 days ago and experienced some digital drop-outs and not the sound I had before. Will have some show's coming up and don't know if I should switch back to Itch 2.2.2 (I have a back up with time machine).

I use a

MacBook Pro 13" (2011)
2,4 GHZ Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR
500 GB HDD (only 110 GB used)
OS X Lion 10.7.5

I have turned off everything (bluetooth, screensaver etc.) and stripped it down to only the things I need (deleted all the unnecessary things).

Thanks

DJ Alexander
DJAlexander 9:15 AM - 4 April, 2013
@acemc

Had massive dropouts, going back to Itch 2.2.2 for the moment.
acemc 12:59 PM - 4 April, 2013
Sorry to hear that.
I did a 3hr set last night, no glitches at all. Did you remove just the one or both plist files?
I only removed one of them - perhaps that's the difference?
acemc 1:00 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
I find it very hard to believe Serato would have a bug..

Funny stuff!!
DJAlexander 3:50 PM - 4 April, 2013
Had only removed one file, the same as you (the other I couldn't find as well).

Itch runs smooth for the moment. But honest, I'm thinking of buying a "normal" 4-channel mixer, start burning CD's from my MP3-collection, buy more vinyl and sell all my NS6 and digital DJing stuff and go analog again.
acemc 9:11 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
sell all my NS6 and digital DJing stuff and go analog again.

I know what you mean. Pro's & Cons to that though. I'm not sure I'd be able to go back to analogue.
FabulousFrequencies 4:00 PM - 5 April, 2013
CD is a digital format and the decks contain more moving parts subject to wear than what you use now. All of the tools we have available with the exception of 2 records and a pure analogue mixer contain a mix of digital and analogue systems. The real issue here is the software back end. I think what you're trying to say you prefer, but isn't being said correctly, is that you prefer your software to run locally on the hardware (firmware). Which removes the serial bus latency and takes a translator like Serato out of the equation. But make no mistake about it, if you use a CDJ you're digital already.

If you're a working DJ, have you considered trying another software with your controller? Once you break it down into simple 'blocks' you have hardware, connection, software. The problem is one of the three. Most alternative software will allow you to download and try out a stripped down version for free. Never hurts to try.
3en80n 7:59 PM - 5 April, 2013
How long you guys been playing out with ns6 since using the Serato DJ ? .... the reason why i asked is i dont know if it is only me experienced this .....
the day when SDJ finally can be use with my ns6, ... the very first time i played it out, .. my big disappointment coz i've encounter the same problem you guys been experienced ... random popping n glitches , and when i try the fx... the song been playing suddenly stop/freeze even when my hands/fingers was still about half an inch away from the fx section n platters..... so disappointingly mad ......
after i calm myself and try to play out again, this time contented by just playing tracks one by one after one another , ignoring the random clicks and pop and glitch trying to analyse where those annoying sound is coming. 2 to 3 hours straight everyday in about a week.....
then i noticed those clicks , pops n glitch that happen randomly was completely gone ! ..
until now i didnt hear any pop, click n glitch during my everyday practice even i applying efx's (by the way the echo and hfp fx was great ! .. my favourite) keeping my crossed n knock on wood that those problem keep at bay....
acemc 12:21 AM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
if you use a CDJ you're digital already

Yes, yes, we know that. For the sake of simplicity we decided to use the term analogue.
The fact is that although there are moving parts in a cd player, records get scratched & needles / lasers get old & dirty etc... I honestly don't recall having as many headaches & worries as I do now using laptops & controllers.
Quote:
How long you guys been playing out with ns6 since using the Serato DJ

I used SDJ tonight for the very first time "live" so to speak. I was as nervous as hell, but throughout the entire night I only had one glitch. I can honestly say that for me, removing that com.serato.dj.plist file has made a massive difference. However, one glitch is still one too many for me.
FabulousFrequencies 12:28 AM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
For the sake of simplicity we decided to use the term analogue.

And for the sake of accuracy I decided to use the term digital :)

If you pay particular attention to my closing thoughts, have you guys ever tried other software? There are some solutions out there that are reliable but anything new comes with a small learning curve. Hate to see people invest money and time into taking a step backwards if it might help them to try some different back end stuff. Deckadance for example; Is amazing. It's free to try and the controller list is pretty big. I know DJ's that swear Traktor is solid once you take the time to set it up right, and some people swear their lives by VDJ. There is also deejay for mac and free alternatives as well. Most all of these programs support midi mapping so if it has the features you need, why not?
acemc 12:41 AM - 6 April, 2013
I actually bought Traktor Scratch Pro a few years back, but I couldn't get the jog response I wanted - otherwise awsome!! I just recently purchased Mixvibes CrossDj which is absolutely fantastic software. The jog response is exactly the same as it was with itch. I really miss the color waveforms though. I downloaded the free version of Deckadance2, it seems like the mapping is extremely limited. I wasn't able to map the jog's properly at all. I just can't bring myself to use VDJ, can't stand the look of it.
acemc 12:55 AM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
start burning CD's from my MP3-collection, buy more vinyl

CD & Vinyl - That must make it..... Digilog.
FabulousFrequencies 1:01 AM - 6 April, 2013
Glad to hear about mixvibes! I forgot to mention them, but i'm sure they're not the only ones I forgot =\ I just got the map for my vci tweaked for MIXXX and finally have the jog response that rivals ITCH. Now THAT software is an in depth piece of work. If you can program, pretty much every aspect of that software is open to you. I was able to tweak *everything* imaginable about the jogs, even alpha/beta. As soon as I get into the skinning aspect I may hop ship and join their dev team. I still dig Serato, I think i'm just joining the rest of the apathetics that don't feel like they have any light at the end of this tunnel.

But now I feel like i'm thread jackin.. my bad.
acemc 1:06 AM - 6 April, 2013
I was actually looking at MIXXX just the other day, you really have to know your stuff to get it the way you like though.
Quote:
don't feel like they have any light at the end of this tunnel
Ditto
DJAlexander 6:25 AM - 9 April, 2013
Hi acemc,

I will try the solution that Jamie W (of Serato) recommend sometimes in the future, when I have a bit more time left to experiment.

I also have traktor, but I never liked it to much and somehow my midimapping-knowledge is not so perfect thats why I stayed away from it.

I also looked into Mixvibes Cross DJ and Virtual DJ. These are great softwares, but often don't come with a midimapping for the NS6 and as said, I'm not the "midimapper-mastermind". But I will keep you posted!

Thanks for all your posts, inputs and support.
DJAlexander 5:11 PM - 15 May, 2013
Hi acemc, hi Jamie W.

Sorry the delay. I waited for the Update SDJ 1.2.

I did do as you recommended here serato.com but I still have drop outs.

I stay with Itch 2.2.2 and wil no longer use Serato DJ. I'm just tired of it.
DJAlexander 4:11 PM - 16 May, 2013
Hi Acemc, hi Jamie W.

I tried it once again on my backup MacBook (OS X 10.8). There was no problem. I will try once again after the weekend-performance and make a complete computer-reset with OSX (there I have 10.7.5) and make a brandnew installation of SDJ. Hope, I can save my cuepoints/re-import the old data. It seems, there are some driver-leftovers that make problems.

Alexander
DJAlexander 5:10 PM - 20 May, 2013
Hi Acemc, Hi Jamie W of Serato,

I did a complete wipe out of my MacBook (10.7.5 Lion) and made a brandnew installation of SDJ. I did not copy the old database, I had it analyzed brandnew.

After I started to perform for about 30 minutes I noticed drop outs when I pushed the button "B" for effects or when I slide the FX-fader, I did notice digital glitches and the sound gets poorly after while. I also made the same procedure with my back up-notebook (Mountain-Lion 10.8.) and did notice the same problems.

Therefore, I will go back to Itch 2.2.2 and will no longer use SDJ until I have found another solution and sell my 2 NS6.

Alexander
acemc 10:06 AM - 26 June, 2013
Something I thought I should mention (in case I haven't - I can't remember).
I found that connecting my controller to the laptop only AFTER SDJ has started up & loaded all my crates etc. seems to have solved all my issues.
If I connect my NS6 before starting up SDJ I end up having Drop-outs & effect "on/off" noises & glitches.... Connect it after software (SDJ) has started up & loaded ALL crates.... No more issues. Can anyone else try this & confirm.
DJAlexander 9:37 AM - 27 June, 2013
I boot my MacBook first, then connect the NS6, then power on the NS6 and then launch(ed) SDJ. Since I don't have SDJ installed anymore, I can't try the mentioned way (boot Mac, connect NS6, launch SDJ, power on NS6). I would be very interested, if someone that has a MacBook with OSX Lion 10.7.5 (or Mountain Lion OS X 10.8) could do as acemc posted.
acemc 7:07 PM - 2 September, 2013
Update - I finally found a proper solution!!
Reduce the screen refresh rate (updates per second) in SDJ's display settings.
Then it doesn't matter how you connect, the audio glitches are gone!
You should also notice a drastic reduction in cpu load ;)
DJAlexander 9:26 PM - 14 September, 2013
Hi acemc,
Thanks for the message. I already choose that option. It's abit better, but not perfect. Just bought a DJM 900 and CDJ 2000 NXS.
acemc 8:28 PM - 15 September, 2013
Quote:
Just bought a DJM 900 and CDJ 2000 NXS.

Nice!!
DJAlexander 11:41 AM - 3 October, 2013
Will be able to exchange the 900 to a 900 SRT. Serato SDJ 1.3 improved it's software. Have still audio glitch with mastertempo on the NS6. But I'm so used to SDJ and really must say, it's a hardware problem. Only miss the push-function on the middle-knob for opening folders/playlists.