Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Track ratings

KCCO 7:27 PM - 13 March, 2013
A way to rate tracks like you can in iTunes, windows media player, colums, rekordbox etc. a star rating would be ideal. And even better if you can rate in one, it would carry accross to another. For instance, in 'my music' I think you can add a rating colum with stars, if used, and that track added to serato, it will carry over. I use star ratings for things like if i have several remixes of a certain track. My 5 star rated one is my best remix of that track.
Kgee 10:31 AM - 18 May, 2013
+9999999999
FLX88 8:07 PM - 7 December, 2013
++++

I changed from Traktor 2 to Serato. Its a very nice program, but i realy miss the ratingoption :'(
Konix 2:18 PM - 8 December, 2013
Not ideal, but here's a nice work-around if you're on a Mac... Watchwww.youtube.com
FLX88 3:44 PM - 8 December, 2013
yeah, nice idea :D thanks
Funky-t 11:45 AM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:
+9999999999

I double that ;)
Dainja 10:15 PM - 8 January, 2014
++++

Yes, I've been waiting for this! I always rate tracks in iTunes and auto organise them with smart crates but I would love to do this in Serato DJ instead. Makes a lot more sense since you see your recent history, marked tracks and such and can rate depending on how often you play a track.
KCCO 1:16 PM - 24 March, 2014
Any update on this serato?
Funky-t 8:44 AM - 22 August, 2014
Bump.

Any news Serato?
Patrick Dee 10:43 PM - 22 August, 2014
+1
assit 2:02 AM - 11 November, 2014
+1 from me for this feature request.

This would ease up my life!
DjRepublic1 2:26 AM - 11 November, 2014
+1

I honestly hate the color system. Please give us the star rating system!
Riko Roos 10:41 AM - 11 November, 2014
+2

Have star rating on all my tracks to. Used to show kind of energy level... Please make it happen!
amelia S 3:10 PM - 11 November, 2014
Completely agree! can't be a difficult feature and would make a massive difference, please make it happen Serato!
DJ Mad Mat 4:08 PM - 12 November, 2014
+1
Serato, Moderator
Samuel S 12:08 PM - 13 November, 2014
Hey team,

Sorry for a slow response in here. A ratings system as well as many other great library improvements and features are on the cards for sure. We've got quite an extensive roadmap for our library technology and definitely have this feedback in mind.

I can't really speculate about timeframes or when this could happen but we're aware of this and it's something we're definitely interested in developing further.

In the meantime, you can actually use a workaround for iTunes star rating with smart playlists. You can set up smart playlists in iTunes that will pull in tracks with all different star ratings and these will show in Serato DJ / Scratch Live. It's not perfect of course but it's a workaround.

Cheers,

Sam.
DjRepublic1 8:53 PM - 16 December, 2014
Thank you!
WarpNote 4:34 PM - 21 December, 2014
BTW, Konix method DOES work with serato smart crates (Mac),
if you don't wanna mess with iTunes.
charlee1985 2:09 PM - 22 December, 2014
+1
DJ NITRONIC (Official) 9:31 PM - 22 December, 2014
Absolutly +1 !
Airnix 3:23 PM - 23 December, 2014
+ 9999999999999999

It will be great if this feature is included in research and smart crate conditions.

Please make it happen quickly. I thinkk it's not complicated to do.
+ 9999999999999999

It will be great if this feature is included in research and smart crate conditions.

Please make it happen quickly. I think it's not complicated to do.
Sorry for multiple post. It's due to my laptop.
G-rod 1:10 PM - 25 December, 2014
+1
DanBlacklock 12:54 PM - 30 December, 2014
I just swapped from Traktor and am very happy except for this glaring omission.

I have been playing with Konix suggestion with the moon phases instead of stars. I am using the label field (shortest field that isn't commonly used) with four of the moon phases (if something deserves one star it is removed). It works really well as it takes up less space than the stars. And it still sorts correctly, pretty cool!
DjRepublic1 8:18 PM - 31 January, 2015
Guys, we are still waiting!

I switched from Traktor to Serato and bought an expansive Pioneer DDJ-SZ for serato. I think this small option could make a lot of serato user really happy!
WarpNote 8:24 PM - 31 January, 2015
Quote:
four of the moon phases

That's clever!
Harddried 12:08 PM - 25 December, 2015
+1
AddamXavier 3:32 AM - 28 December, 2015
+1 see also: serato.com
TheDarkSniff 4:34 PM - 13 January, 2016
+1
NIckStyles 5:27 AM - 1 February, 2016
+1
Darrell "The-Dodo" Cross 7:12 PM - 11 May, 2016
Still waiting for this! Would make me one happy DJ
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:31 PM - 11 May, 2016
you really have to laugh at serato 18 months since they comment on library management improvements and we have yet to see 1

anyone remember this statement

tinyurl.com
Darrell "The-Dodo" Cross 9:24 AM - 12 May, 2016
Quote:
you really have to laugh at serato 18 months since they comment on library management improvements and we have yet to see 1

anyone remember this statement

tinyurl.com

My thoughts exactly! I managed before but my library is becoming a cluttered mess, I would use the ratings system to identify the energy level in a track.
Davmix 8:28 AM - 13 May, 2016
Why a function so easy is not present?
Trigger Mechanism 3:17 PM - 13 May, 2016
I use the comment column with ASCII stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
latency 6:13 PM - 9 July, 2016
+1

I know this has something to do with the star ratings being proprietary to itunes. I wonder though how traktor manages to display itunes ratings anyhow and serato after many years of users asking for this feature seems unable to do it? Can someone explain this?
DJ Ravien 8:20 PM - 9 July, 2016
Even if they couldn't incorporate the itunes ratings which would be nice. A simple star rating of their own would suffice imo.

Using comment as a user above posted is a workaround, but never an actual solution.

+1
Frozone 2:23 AM - 10 July, 2016
+10000000000000
f8274 2:52 AM - 11 July, 2016
Oh, grey to see that also other guys are waiting for a rating option in Serato DJ. So I do support this request.
DJLibster 2:40 PM - 18 August, 2016
I would like a rating system, too. Why don't just insert iTunes` rating tab? I use it for the "energy" of the songs, so it would be great If I could sort it by the rating.
DJ Zewolfy 7:41 PM - 21 August, 2016
+1
Smonty 8:54 PM - 7 September, 2016
3 years in the making and still no light in the dark.

Just LOL.

Hope dies last.
alec.tron 3:07 AM - 8 September, 2016
Here's a (imo realistic) suggestion for a (rating) value mapping feature - in short, you should be able to use any rating scheme ( i.e. a user-defined value-range in any metadata field [of your existing data, seeing we'ce been left alone on this for far too long and have come up with rating values/representations that make sense to us individually...) to drive a Star rating display feature:
serato.com

Churs.
c.
DjRepublic1 5:18 PM - 8 September, 2017
Bump
DjRepublic1 5:21 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Hey team,

Sorry for a slow response in here. A ratings system as well as many other great library improvements and features are on the cards for sure. We've got quite an extensive roadmap for our library technology and definitely have this feedback in mind.

I can't really speculate about timeframes or when this could happen but we're aware of this and it's something we're definitely interested in developing further.

In the meantime, you can actually use a workaround for iTunes star rating with smart playlists. You can set up smart playlists in iTunes that will pull in tracks with all different star ratings and these will show in Serato DJ / Scratch Live. It's not perfect of course but it's a workaround.

Cheers,

Sam.

3 year later, still nothing? Comon guys!
Trigger Mechanism 4:42 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Hey team,

Cheers,

Sam.

3 year later, still nothing? Comon guys!

yes mate you're right, what's up guys.
It couldn't be to so difficult to integrate another row who reads a file tag into the softwares library!!!
alec.tron 12:55 AM - 10 September, 2017
Quote:
We've got quite an extensive roadmap for our library technology and definitely have this feedback in mind.

This is so overdue it's getting embarrassing imo as this has not been 3 years as outlined in this thread, but I remember regular requests for this when I started using SSL around 2007 even... so it's been more like 10+ years for the ratings issue...
So fingers crossed when it comes, it was all worth the ridiculously long wait and Serato finally arrives in this century altogether and also supports multi-value & custom metadata fields...

Churs.
c.
DjRepublic1 5:06 PM - 1 March, 2018
Still not available in Serato 2.0, such a shame
Trigger Mechanism 9:14 AM - 5 March, 2018
Quote:
Still not available in Serato 2.0, such a shame

I do not consider that this is a difficult task and should be easy to integrate.
You're right and its a shame. So we have to continue to use these Ascii characters (★★★★★) in the special column. This is how I do it ;)
Damaja X 9:21 AM - 7 March, 2018
+1
for standard ID3 tag for ratings, like *Traktor* and *RekordBox* and other rival softwaress do!!!

One of the most time-consuming parts of doing proper prep of music for DJing (and this is the most time-consuming part of DJing as a whole) - sorting out what you want to play and don't! - with ratings for tracks in your library.

Traktor has it!
RekordBox has it!
Plenty of others have it!
How hard can it be - it's just another tag field to be read from the files' metadata!?!?

This is the one reason why I am considering
*PAYING EXTRA MONEY FOR A COMPETING SOFTWARE* rather than use Serato DJ Pro, which I get a FREE licence for with my controller!

Can you believe that, Serato??
I'm actually willing to pay $100s for a rival software, rather than use yours,
because the hundreds of hours i spend sorting my DJ tracks library using ratings
can justify it, rather than needing to use workarounds for Serato DJ's lack of implementing such a BASIC feature as reading the ratings tag in my music files!?
Damaja X 9:25 AM - 7 March, 2018
P.S. I don't use iTunes and never want to - their tags are non-standard. Use the standard ID3 tag system.
rob voodoo 3:44 PM - 17 July, 2018
Amazing how long this has been going back - the hundreds of tunes that have been lost in my library because there's no way to mark something as a favourite! A simple one star or a 1-5 rating system, either would be so useful! And being able to sort by number of times played would be incredibly handy.
Philmixit 12:51 AM - 18 July, 2018
Hi guys, I think it's being work on , hopefully we will see it sooner than later.
Serato is going in the right direction.
Getting there.!!!!!!
djWormUp 1:29 PM - 28 August, 2018
+1
Geerbox 6:20 PM - 27 December, 2018
+1 Please consider adding a song rating system, that can read iTunes style ratings (ideally for me)

I'm a Traktor Pro user attempting to switch to Serato, but this feature seems missing in Serato?
Traktor natively displays the yellow 5 star ratings from my iTunes library, and this is a great reference while playing live. My playlist structure depends on my ability to see song ratings

Thanks