Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Track ratings

KCCO 7:27 PM - 13 March, 2013
A way to rate tracks like you can in iTunes, windows media player, colums, rekordbox etc. a star rating would be ideal. And even better if you can rate in one, it would carry accross to another. For instance, in 'my music' I think you can add a rating colum with stars, if used, and that track added to serato, it will carry over. I use star ratings for things like if i have several remixes of a certain track. My 5 star rated one is my best remix of that track.
Kgee 10:31 AM - 18 May, 2013
+9999999999
FLX88 8:07 PM - 7 December, 2013
++++

I changed from Traktor 2 to Serato. Its a very nice program, but i realy miss the ratingoption :'(
Konix 2:18 PM - 8 December, 2013
Not ideal, but here's a nice work-around if you're on a Mac... Watchwww.youtube.com
FLX88 3:44 PM - 8 December, 2013
yeah, nice idea :D thanks
Funky-t 11:45 AM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:
+9999999999

I double that ;)
Dainja 10:15 PM - 8 January, 2014
++++

Yes, I've been waiting for this! I always rate tracks in iTunes and auto organise them with smart crates but I would love to do this in Serato DJ instead. Makes a lot more sense since you see your recent history, marked tracks and such and can rate depending on how often you play a track.
KCCO 1:16 PM - 24 March, 2014
Any update on this serato?
Funky-t 8:44 AM - 22 August, 2014
Bump.

Any news Serato?
Patrick Dee 10:43 PM - 22 August, 2014
+1
assit 2:02 AM - 11 November, 2014
+1 from me for this feature request.

This would ease up my life!
DjRepublic1 2:26 AM - 11 November, 2014
+1

I honestly hate the color system. Please give us the star rating system!
Riko Roos 10:41 AM - 11 November, 2014
+2

Have star rating on all my tracks to. Used to show kind of energy level... Please make it happen!
amelia S 3:10 PM - 11 November, 2014
Completely agree! can't be a difficult feature and would make a massive difference, please make it happen Serato!
DJ Mat .live 4:08 PM - 12 November, 2014
+1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:08 PM - 13 November, 2014
Hey team,

Sorry for a slow response in here. A ratings system as well as many other great library improvements and features are on the cards for sure. We've got quite an extensive roadmap for our library technology and definitely have this feedback in mind.

I can't really speculate about timeframes or when this could happen but we're aware of this and it's something we're definitely interested in developing further.

In the meantime, you can actually use a workaround for iTunes star rating with smart playlists. You can set up smart playlists in iTunes that will pull in tracks with all different star ratings and these will show in Serato DJ / Scratch Live. It's not perfect of course but it's a workaround.

Cheers,

Sam.
DjRepublic1 8:53 PM - 16 December, 2014
Thank you!
WarpNote 4:34 PM - 21 December, 2014
BTW, Konix method DOES work with serato smart crates (Mac),
if you don't wanna mess with iTunes.
charlee1985 2:09 PM - 22 December, 2014
+1
DJ NITRONIC (Official) 9:31 PM - 22 December, 2014
Absolutly +1 !
Airnix 3:23 PM - 23 December, 2014
+ 9999999999999999

It will be great if this feature is included in research and smart crate conditions.

Please make it happen quickly. I thinkk it's not complicated to do.
+ 9999999999999999

It will be great if this feature is included in research and smart crate conditions.

Please make it happen quickly. I think it's not complicated to do.
Sorry for multiple post. It's due to my laptop.
G-rod 1:10 PM - 25 December, 2014
+1
DanBlacklock 12:54 PM - 30 December, 2014
I just swapped from Traktor and am very happy except for this glaring omission.

I have been playing with Konix suggestion with the moon phases instead of stars. I am using the label field (shortest field that isn't commonly used) with four of the moon phases (if something deserves one star it is removed). It works really well as it takes up less space than the stars. And it still sorts correctly, pretty cool!
DjRepublic1 8:18 PM - 31 January, 2015
Guys, we are still waiting!

I switched from Traktor to Serato and bought an expansive Pioneer DDJ-SZ for serato. I think this small option could make a lot of serato user really happy!
WarpNote 8:24 PM - 31 January, 2015
Quote:
four of the moon phases

That's clever!
Harddried 12:08 PM - 25 December, 2015
+1
AddamXavier 3:32 AM - 28 December, 2015
+1 see also: serato.com
TheDarkSniff 4:34 PM - 13 January, 2016
+1
NIckStyles 5:27 AM - 1 February, 2016
+1
Darrell "The-Dodo" Cross 7:12 PM - 11 May, 2016
Still waiting for this! Would make me one happy DJ
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:31 PM - 11 May, 2016
you really have to laugh at serato 18 months since they comment on library management improvements and we have yet to see 1

anyone remember this statement

tinyurl.com
Darrell "The-Dodo" Cross 9:24 AM - 12 May, 2016
Quote:
you really have to laugh at serato 18 months since they comment on library management improvements and we have yet to see 1

anyone remember this statement

tinyurl.com

My thoughts exactly! I managed before but my library is becoming a cluttered mess, I would use the ratings system to identify the energy level in a track.
Davmix 8:28 AM - 13 May, 2016
Why a function so easy is not present?
Trigger Mechanism 3:17 PM - 13 May, 2016
I use the comment column with ASCII stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
latency 6:13 PM - 9 July, 2016
+1

I know this has something to do with the star ratings being proprietary to itunes. I wonder though how traktor manages to display itunes ratings anyhow and serato after many years of users asking for this feature seems unable to do it? Can someone explain this?
DJ Ravien 8:20 PM - 9 July, 2016
Even if they couldn't incorporate the itunes ratings which would be nice. A simple star rating of their own would suffice imo.

Using comment as a user above posted is a workaround, but never an actual solution.

+1
Frozone 2:23 AM - 10 July, 2016
+10000000000000
f8274 2:52 AM - 11 July, 2016
Oh, grey to see that also other guys are waiting for a rating option in Serato DJ. So I do support this request.
DJLibster 2:40 PM - 18 August, 2016
I would like a rating system, too. Why don't just insert iTunes` rating tab? I use it for the "energy" of the songs, so it would be great If I could sort it by the rating.
DJ Zewolfy 7:41 PM - 21 August, 2016
+1
Smonty 8:54 PM - 7 September, 2016
3 years in the making and still no light in the dark.

Just LOL.

Hope dies last.
alec.tron 3:07 AM - 8 September, 2016
Here's a (imo realistic) suggestion for a (rating) value mapping feature - in short, you should be able to use any rating scheme ( i.e. a user-defined value-range in any metadata field [of your existing data, seeing we'ce been left alone on this for far too long and have come up with rating values/representations that make sense to us individually...) to drive a Star rating display feature:
serato.com

Churs.
c.
DjRepublic1 5:18 PM - 8 September, 2017
Bump
DjRepublic1 5:21 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Hey team,

Sorry for a slow response in here. A ratings system as well as many other great library improvements and features are on the cards for sure. We've got quite an extensive roadmap for our library technology and definitely have this feedback in mind.

I can't really speculate about timeframes or when this could happen but we're aware of this and it's something we're definitely interested in developing further.

In the meantime, you can actually use a workaround for iTunes star rating with smart playlists. You can set up smart playlists in iTunes that will pull in tracks with all different star ratings and these will show in Serato DJ / Scratch Live. It's not perfect of course but it's a workaround.

Cheers,

Sam.

3 year later, still nothing? Comon guys!
Trigger Mechanism 4:42 PM - 9 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Hey team,

Cheers,

Sam.

3 year later, still nothing? Comon guys!

yes mate you're right, what's up guys.
It couldn't be to so difficult to integrate another row who reads a file tag into the softwares library!!!
alec.tron 12:55 AM - 10 September, 2017
Quote:
We've got quite an extensive roadmap for our library technology and definitely have this feedback in mind.

This is so overdue it's getting embarrassing imo as this has not been 3 years as outlined in this thread, but I remember regular requests for this when I started using SSL around 2007 even... so it's been more like 10+ years for the ratings issue...
So fingers crossed when it comes, it was all worth the ridiculously long wait and Serato finally arrives in this century altogether and also supports multi-value & custom metadata fields...

Churs.
c.
DjRepublic1 5:06 PM - 1 March, 2018
Still not available in Serato 2.0, such a shame
Trigger Mechanism 9:14 AM - 5 March, 2018
Quote:
Still not available in Serato 2.0, such a shame

I do not consider that this is a difficult task and should be easy to integrate.
You're right and its a shame. So we have to continue to use these Ascii characters (★★★★★) in the special column. This is how I do it ;)
Damaja X 9:21 AM - 7 March, 2018
+1
for standard ID3 tag for ratings, like *Traktor* and *RekordBox* and other rival softwaress do!!!

One of the most time-consuming parts of doing proper prep of music for DJing (and this is the most time-consuming part of DJing as a whole) - sorting out what you want to play and don't! - with ratings for tracks in your library.

Traktor has it!
RekordBox has it!
Plenty of others have it!
How hard can it be - it's just another tag field to be read from the files' metadata!?!?

This is the one reason why I am considering
*PAYING EXTRA MONEY FOR A COMPETING SOFTWARE* rather than use Serato DJ Pro, which I get a FREE licence for with my controller!

Can you believe that, Serato??
I'm actually willing to pay $100s for a rival software, rather than use yours,
because the hundreds of hours i spend sorting my DJ tracks library using ratings
can justify it, rather than needing to use workarounds for Serato DJ's lack of implementing such a BASIC feature as reading the ratings tag in my music files!?
Damaja X 9:25 AM - 7 March, 2018
P.S. I don't use iTunes and never want to - their tags are non-standard. Use the standard ID3 tag system.
rob voodoo 3:44 PM - 17 July, 2018
Amazing how long this has been going back - the hundreds of tunes that have been lost in my library because there's no way to mark something as a favourite! A simple one star or a 1-5 rating system, either would be so useful! And being able to sort by number of times played would be incredibly handy.
Philmixit 12:51 AM - 18 July, 2018
Hi guys, I think it's being work on , hopefully we will see it sooner than later.
Serato is going in the right direction.
Getting there.!!!!!!
djWormUp 1:29 PM - 28 August, 2018
+1
Geerbox 6:20 PM - 27 December, 2018
+1 Please consider adding a song rating system, that can read iTunes style ratings (ideally for me)

I'm a Traktor Pro user attempting to switch to Serato, but this feature seems missing in Serato?
Traktor natively displays the yellow 5 star ratings from my iTunes library, and this is a great reference while playing live. My playlist structure depends on my ability to see song ratings

Thanks
latency 6:35 AM - 18 May, 2019
Can someone point me to a clear explanation why serato has not implemented a rating system? preferably one that syncs with iTunes stars?
Bigheaded 7:26 PM - 19 May, 2019
Crazy how Serato's like the only music software in the world that doesn't have a rating system.
DJ Tobi Rodenstein 4:56 PM - 8 July, 2019
+1
So embarrassing, still waiting. I'm also thinking about switching as the rating function is getting more and more important in my sets.
Really sad.
Frozone 8:35 PM - 25 July, 2019
It's been implemented into the newest version 2.2
DJ Tobi Rodenstein 8:39 PM - 25 July, 2019
Are you sure? I have it and I can't select it when I right-click the top bar.
Philmixit 9:37 PM - 26 July, 2019
Hi DJ Tobi Rodenstein,
It's NOT been implemented into the newest Serato DJ Pro version of 2.2!!!!!
RevHed 7:32 AM - 10 October, 2019
+1, hurry up with this...or at least give us an update...
mwaterous 5:46 PM - 22 November, 2019
Quote:
Samuel S 12:08 PM - 13 November, 2014 <----

Hey team,

Sorry for a slow response in here. A ratings system as well as many other great library improvements and features are on the cards for sure.

5 years later.

I'm starting to think it's not going to happen.

I guess the only thing to do is give it another five years.

Five years isn't very long in the digital age. Does anyone remember Flappy Bird and Doge? Those were only five years ago. Nothing really changes in five years. Anyone heard what Destiny's Child is up to lately?

Anyways, crossing those fingers! I'm going to try driving my car for the next five years without changing anything on it, like the oil, see what happens. Shout out to flip phones! See y'all in five years.
cotdagoo 12:03 AM - 23 November, 2019
^^ There's so many posts like that in many of the long standing request threads.. it would be somewhat comical if users weren't always the punchline :(
DJ WUMI 6:43 PM - 6 December, 2019
this is unacceptable 5 years since they told us they would add it but they have not. I still can't believe this. They can created serato studio or things for a money grab and a subscription but cant give people something people have been asking for for over 7 years. We as the DJs need to come together and stop giving serato our money. It's clear they dont care for the community that have supported them and only care about money. I refuse to spend anymore money on serato till they do right by us. Sad times we are in.
cotdagoo 7:43 PM - 10 December, 2019
It's boggling to the mind...

Threads like this should be super super embarrassing to Serato.. yet there's soo many of them and they certainly do not paint them in a good light at all.

Keeping these feature requests un-actualized just leaves more room for people to talk shit about their business practices and inability to bring features to the table..

I don't see how this provides serato any benefit whatsoever. Like I said.. I would be embarrassed if I told a community of customers a feature was coming.. then 5 years later have absolutely nothing to show for that statement.

Shame on you Serato, shame!
palern 8:53 AM - 23 January, 2020
+1+1+1

I've been using this function in iTunes for years now...
Since Apple changed iTunes I am considering moving over to crates...
But then it would be REALLY nice if they would add rating to the library.
I have also been considering moving to Rekordbox since they have that function but I'm really happy with Serato about everything else.
'crossing fingers'

Any chance you are reading this Serato????? :-)
vboyd666 5:16 PM - 23 January, 2020
I haven't really checked out the new redesigned "Music" app but I know that when iTunes switched from "Star Ratings" to the stupid Heart that they didn't get rid of the ratings, they just buried them. You could find them by right clicking on the column headers and un-hide the ratings. As I said, I don't know if they finally got rid of it with the new redesign though.
vboyd666 5:28 PM - 23 January, 2020
Now that I've read through this entire thread. I have further comments.

Rather than complain and wait for Serato to do something about it, why don't YOU do something about it? It is super easy to create a rating system on your own, and custom designed to how you want it.

You have an entire column that you can freely edit called "comments". Use that column combined with Serato Smart Crates to curate yourself a rating playlist. Instead of 5 stars, you could put 5-X's "XXXXX" in the comments and then create a Smart Playlist that will list all songs that have "XXXXX" in the comments column. Change your mind and want to change a song to 4 stars? Remove and "X" and in real time, Serato has removed it from your 5-X Smart Crate or resorted it to the 4 stars section if you've just simply sorted the stars "X's" from highest to lowest.
cotdagoo 3:26 PM - 24 January, 2020
Quote:

Rather than complain and wait for Serato to do something about it, why don't YOU do something about it? It is super easy to create a rating system on your own, and custom designed to how you want it.

I think I'd rather hold them accountable for what was said regarding this feature request.

Back in 2014 when Samuel S said:

Quote:

A ratings system as well as many other great library improvements and features are on the cards for sure.

So Samuel S.. Where is it? 6 years of false hopes thanks to your post. 6 years of Serato look really really sad, having the inability to bring something as simple as "star ratings" which are ubiquitous with almost all modern audio players & software..

I'd be totally embarrassed as a programmer to not be able to manage this feature in 6 years.
vboyd666 6:54 PM - 31 January, 2020
Quote:

I'd be totally embarrassed as a programmer to not be able to manage this feature in 6 years.

I completely understand your frustration cotdagoo and I truly mean no disrespect, but statements like this are completely ignorant. I certainly hope that you are a computer programmer for some popular software company in order to make a statement like that.

If you aren't, then you have no idea on what or how or why they do what they do.

If you are, then go make your own DJ software program if you feel you can do better.
cotdagoo 5:56 PM - 1 February, 2020
Quote:
Quote:

I completely understand your frustration cotdagoo and I truly mean no disrespect, but statements like this are completely ignorant. I certainly hope that you are a computer programmer for some popular software company in order to make a statement like that.

If you aren't, then you have no idea on what or how or why they do what they do.

If you are, then go make your own DJ software program if you feel you can do better.

Ahh right, the old "if you can't do it better you aren't allowed to have an opinion or complain about anything"

Imagine where we'd be if that was the case..

I say it's embarrassing because I've seen what these guys can cobble together and develop quickly when they are interested (Serato Studio), but due to what one could assume is "lack of interest" in Serato DJ features like this seem nearly impossible for the developers to bring to the table as useful and common to audio software as a feature may be.

If anyone else developing audio software can manage "star ratings" it should be absolutely EMBARRASSING for Serato developers to be unable (my guess is unwilling) to accomplish this over a period of YEARS.

I don't need to make software to see that it's not an impossible feat.. Many others have already done so.

Yes I have been a programmer.. If there's a will there's a way.. I don't see any will here.
Davster 5:18 PM - 10 February, 2020
Quote:
If there's a will there's a way.. I don't see any will here.

Speaking of the existence of a will - I have a way to implement this for you guys. Haven't seen anyone else come up with this so thought I'd share. Should be a perfect solution (I guess?).

FIRST METHOD (Probably the best and easiest) - use Grouping:

Just use the 'Grouping' tab in the Serato library to add the star ratings. That means you can order your tracks by rating, and you can also create crates containing specific star ratings by setting the following rule:

Quote:

To filter out JUST one-star tracks:

------ Grouping ----- is ----- ⭐️

JUST two-star tracks:

------ Grouping ----- is ----- ⭐️⭐️

...and so on.

SECOND SOLUTION - Filter comments with Smart Crates:

It's an extension of the stars-in-comments solution other people have mentioned, but the difference being that this solution allows you to keep other comments in place (such as Energy Levels or the names of your cats 🐈).

You just need to set up a collection of smart rules that include a specific number of stars in the comments and excludes all others.

Quote:

EXAMPLE 1 -> For crate name '⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️', storing all five-star-marked songs:
------ Comment ------- contains -----------------⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
------ Comment ------- does not contain ------- ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
------ Comment ------- does not contain ------- ⭐️⭐️⭐️
------ Comment ------- does not contain ------- ⭐️⭐️
------ Comment ------- does not contain ------- ⭐️

....and so on....

EXAMPLE 5 -> For crate name '⭐️', storing all one-star marked songs:
------ Comment ------- does not contain ------- ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
------ Comment ------- does not contain ------- ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
------ Comment ------- does not contain ------- ⭐️⭐️⭐️
------ Comment ------- does not contain ------- ⭐️⭐️
------ Comment ------- contains ----------------- ⭐️

You can then set up a single 'overarching' smart crate that catches ALL rated tracks.

Catch-all crate:
-----Comment------contains--------⭐️

Simply add the star rating you desire anywhere in song comments. The rules above will filter your songs by star rating automatically, keeping any additional comments you have in place.

You can also use the same logic to filter Energy levels whilst keeping star ratings, if you're printing those to comments.

But yeah, actual star ratings might be easier (although that would make you feel like less of a hacker 🤓).
Cjcab305 1:43 PM - 11 February, 2020
@davster Great suggestion and workaround. How do you get the 'star' symbol to show up in the app? What's the keyboard sequence for it? Didn't see that mentioned after quick glance on the thread. Thx!
Davster 1:47 PM - 11 February, 2020
Well, you can just copy and paste the star from that post.

Otherwise on macOS you can hit ctrl + cmd + spacebar in a text editor outside of Serato, type the emoji you want using the emoji picker, then copy and paste that into Serato.

Serato have a post about adding emojis: serato.com

I've put in a feature suggestion to allow for direct input of emojis via the macOS emoji keyboard, which you can support here: serato.com
DJ Trice 1:49 PM - 19 February, 2021
+1
viper9711 10:25 PM - 13 July, 2022
+100