Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

iTunes Rating

Twinsound 9:30 AM - 17 May, 2013
Hi There,

I do make a rating for my tracks in iTunes.
One star is a track that is cool, a starter for a djgig.
Three stars are tracks useable in the middle of a mixset. Climbing to the climax.
Five stars are 'hands-up' tracks. Bigroom tracks that make the crowd go wild.

I miss the ability in Serato DJ to see the rating i made in iTunes.
please activate in a future release.
(i think it's a small programmable feature, that make huge people very happy)

Ed
Da Lex 6:46 PM - 17 May, 2013
+1

Standard in all dj software
vboyd666 9:46 PM - 23 May, 2013
+1
In the mean time I just make 5 different play lists for 1 to 5 stars that I can see in Serato.
dj_soo 10:33 PM - 23 May, 2013
with those playlists you can just mass color-code those tracks and they will appear in your regular crates.
JDfunky 7:21 AM - 27 May, 2013
+1

OK, so there are workarounds in the meantime, like this one I found:
wowfreemagic.com

... but what is the possibility of introducing the ability to display the ratings column, so we don't have to do the work of the workarounds?

Should be easy enough to program it as a view option, right? I previously used DJay software and it was in there.

Stars in a column are a quick visual way of seeing a rating by scanning down a list.

Thanks for considering this, cheers
Roozda 12:15 AM - 28 May, 2013
+100000000

Star ratings are incredibly useful for me in working out what to play next. Considering there are so many other columns which you can add from iTunes, surely this is an easy one to add as well. It would rock me from my jocks to my socks if you did this!

Cheers

RO
mark3motley 7:33 PM - 17 June, 2013
+1
Twinsound 4:19 PM - 24 July, 2013
common guys. Al seems clear now. Give the people what they want. They're not asking that much..
Dennis dB 3:03 PM - 18 September, 2013
Yes this would be great.
DJ GrimeTime 5:45 PM - 18 September, 2013
+1!
DJ Splat 1:51 PM - 19 September, 2013
Definite need. In larger libraries I will distinguish bangers and popular plays with ratings (4 stars popular, 5 star bangers) I can set these up as I am traveling even on my phone in itunes and when I sync all these ratings are updated. I also use traktor and this is a select able column in Traktor. Now that I am using Serato mostly it would be nice to have my ratings feature back. Thanks!
Twinsound 9:55 PM - 21 September, 2013
Thanks everybody, point is clear that many users wants this
viper9711 10:02 PM - 23 September, 2013
+1
kieronymous 1:12 AM - 6 October, 2013
+1
AddamXavier 3:26 AM - 6 October, 2013
+1

my suggestion would be to save the iTunes rating into the rating tag that already exists in the mp3 and read that in SDJ
Twinsound 3:10 PM - 7 October, 2013
True!
Glad we have time before a new release is coming.
I really hope Serato wont let the DDJ-SX users down. Last update wasn't for us :(
mark3motley 3:13 PM - 7 October, 2013
Quote:
True!
I really hope Serato wont let the DDJ-SX users down. Last update wasn't for us :(

I agree, my Serato DJ has crashed on me consistently the last few times I tried recording a mix... updated my firmware and everything (Mac).

Anyone else having issues?
freakingmrjw 3:24 PM - 14 October, 2013
+1
Lord Fluff 6:27 AM - 15 October, 2013
Quote:
+1

my suggestion would be to save the iTunes rating into the rating tag that already exists in the mp3 and read that in SDJ

But....there *is* no rating tag in SDJ, that's the issue.

I'm working around it this way -

1. Make smart playlist in iTunes with (say) 5 star rating tunes only
2. Select all tunes
3. Press Apple-I
4. Change grouping tag to 5
5. Close popup window
6. In SDJ Grouping has now become your surrogate Rating tag

Works for me as I don't used the Grouping tag for anything else, but still a pain.

The thing with iTunes ratings are that they're not part of the ID3 tag, they are are part of the user's internal iTunes library, so SDJ needs to be able to dig in there to find them, as opposed to other tags like Grouping which are part of the actual audio file itself.
spkrbx 5:22 AM - 21 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
True!

I agree, my Serato DJ has crashed on me consistently the last few times I tried recording a mix... updated my firmware and everything (Mac).

Anyone else having issues?

Hi mark3motley,

Check out this thread, it might help with your crashes. I adjusted the buffersize and latency for better performance. Might not be related but it's worth a shot.
spkrbx 5:24 AM - 21 October, 2013
+1

Thanks Twinsound for bringing this up. Gotta find an easier way to sort out the bangers!
spkrbx 5:27 AM - 21 October, 2013
Ugh... sorry for the triple post. No editing feature makes this unavoidable.

serato.com

Here's the link I suggested to mark3motley.
Harddried 12:07 PM - 25 December, 2015
+1
JDfunky 12:34 AM - 26 December, 2015
As Lord Fluff said:

The thing with iTunes ratings are that they're not part of the ID3 tag, they are are part of the user's internal iTunes library, so SDJ needs to be able to dig in there to find them, as opposed to other tags like Grouping which are part of the actual audio file itself.

.. and therein lies the issues. Serato have told me that the software can't "dig in" to the iTunes Library to see the Ratings field. So workarounds it is.
AddamXavier 3:15 AM - 28 December, 2015
Quote:
As Lord Fluff said:

.. and therein lies the issues. Serato have told me that the software can't "dig in" to the iTunes Library to see the Ratings field. So workarounds it is.

The itunes rating is actually in the xml file that Serato reads (just checked to make sure they hadn't changed it). My suggestion though is to read from the mp3 itself (and allow editing) and possibly update the file with the rating from the itunes xml if you have the read from itunes setting checked. i'm ocd about rating tracks in itunes and would love a program to help populate the ID3 tags with all my work.
DJ-Yuma 6:08 PM - 25 June, 2017
Hi all,

I know it is an old post, but I came across this problem where I wanted my iTunes ratings into Serato.
Being a software engineer and finding nothing online that do what I wanted, I wrote a small software to help me do it.
For the moment it just go through my iTunes library and copy the ratings into the "Composer" tag of my mp3.
Is anyone interested in trying my software and giving me feedback to improve it ?
JDfunky 12:00 PM - 26 June, 2017
Quote:

For the moment it just go through my iTunes library and copy the ratings into the "Composer" tag of my mp3.
Is anyone interested in trying my software and giving me feedback to improve it ?

When you say 'software' do you mean a script for iTunes? I use a script a friend sent to me, to automatically transfer the ratings to composer field for selected songs.
DJ-Yuma 12:59 PM - 26 June, 2017
It's a Java software where you can select the itunes xml file and then choose which tag you want to copy to.
For the moment it support only itunes and composer/comment field.
My idea is to be able to select playlist, if you want to override fields and maybe add other soft like MusicBee.
gross1 5:16 PM - 29 July, 2017
Brilliant work. 90% of the time I rate my tracks while listening to iTunes on my iPhone. What you are describing I currently do manually and yes I use the composer tag also.
Within iTunes I create XXX's in the composer tag to match my iTunes ratings.
It's a work around I wish I didn't need to bother with however it's the only way I could figure out how to see iTunes ratings in Serato.
Using auto playlists in iTunes I can list out what tracks don't match the X's in composer then edit on the fly. Would love to see your java app.
Will08272 4:40 PM - 8 August, 2017
Wanted to bump this, I currently have my entire library on icloud music and the star rating is the only accessible point of data regardless of device being used.
M-2-Alex 12:43 PM - 9 August, 2017
+1

Dear Serato-Team please put the iTunes-Rating System in your next patch!!!
it's a really useful tool to prepare playlists and gigs!

Thanks..
DJ-Yuma 3:09 AM - 30 August, 2017
Hi all,

Sorry for late reply, let me a couple of days to fine tune it and write a "how to use" and I'll send the link where to download it.
M.adaM 10:12 PM - 5 September, 2017
Whatever rating would be good for the tracks.
(I'm not a mac fan)
realstacktrace 2:50 AM - 12 January, 2018
Unbelievable that this thread started in 2013 and we STILL do not have the ability to show iTunes ratings within Serato. No wonder people use Rekordbox and VirtualDJ.
alec.tron 3:32 AM - 12 January, 2018
Hah @ 2013 (I do agree though...).
But it's even worse... apparent by the fact that it's easy to find threads that have been requesting ratings since Serato started, i.e. here's one from 2004:
serato.com

And I really had high hopes for this, and other metadata related features & the general library & workflow overhaul, for the SDJ 2.0 update, but unfortunately it's nowhere to be seen still.... :/
So this might be another few years away... if ever at all...
c.
M.adaM 8:20 AM - 12 January, 2018
Do you see Scott S...?

This is a great example of what I was talking about when I said "Feature Request" part of the forum is a non-sense,
It really looks like you guys don't give a **** about what your users wants!

14 years bagging for a simple feature like allowing a 1-5 rating for the songs?
WTF?????

It's can't be that hot in New Zealand! :)

A 5 years old could make this in a weekend with some coding skills, if I'm right!

After this, I wonder how long will it take the other requested things for the dev. team!?!

You guys can just sit back and look for the competition (Rekordbox mainly, but there can be others as well) passing by, and SDJ becoming a follower from leader!

It is your choice guys, and what the 'mainstream' DJ's use is really our choice (because you made your choice, we have no other chance, but make a switch)!

You should start hiring some guys while you can afford it (since it looks like more and more partners builds their own SW.... like Pioneer back than, and in Music brands now and so on)

Pretty sad!
realstacktrace 3:35 PM - 12 January, 2018
I've only been using Serato for a few months now but it's obvious to me that Serato gives nothing but lip service to users discussing useful new features. I recently opened a ticket asking how to delete a track in a smart crate after the file has been deleted from the hard drive (something I think should be automatic.) Support responded that I have to manually remove it from the crate or use Cmd-Shift-Delete. So if I have hundreds of files in a crate and later remove these from the hard drive, I have to manually remove hundreds of files within the crate? That's simply ridiculous, shouldn't even be a "feature request."

I also opened a ticket about how to load a file in Serato from a USB stick. In VirtualDJ, you can simply re-scan the library after you attach the stick to get the files to appear, but in Serato you have to go to Setup and toggle Library/Display. I think this toggle should be easier to find (not under Setup) but I highly doubt Serato will work on it.

If Serato wants to be a first class citizen it needs to treat its users like one. Stop with the lip service and start listening to your customers. These are the same people that are recommending your software to others. They could easily recommend a competitor instead.
M.adaM 10:20 AM - 13 January, 2018
Serato behaves like all the winners and leaders use to be.
They are comfortable because of their position and ignoring the time domain.

They are not producing any hardware, so they rely on other manufacturers.
But these are developing their own SW, so will quit once.

And the largest companies are not those who provides the "best" solutions (Rambus, Sun microsystems, SGI, Coca Cola, McDonalds and so on), but those who can provide an industry standard, above minimal, widely spread thing..... Just like Pioneer makes it (Would never buy Pio)
I'm from the Vinyl era, and was looking all my DJ friends from 2002 how they got closer and closer to this digital thing.
They stated with Stanton's Final Scratch on a desktop (20+Kgs) than Mixvibes - that I also used, because their SW was not locked to a shitty quality, closed soundcard - later MixVibes and so on.
Look at Rekordbox now!
They are becoming the DJ industries Apple.... They make the HW and the SW.... highly optimized, limited features, but perfectly working, -looks like- rock solid solution.
Watchwww.youtube.com

Pio is the most highly used stuff worldwide. horrible quality -compared to the competition like Rodec, Vestax, Rane- but they managed their things very well from day 1.....

They knew most DJ's are playing tracks.... changing tunes only in every 5 minutes.
They never gave a f*** for small "markets" like scratch DJ's, Battle DJ's and so on... Their target audience was and will be the biggest "market" the big names, the big events, the big clubs and so on!
Since they were sponsored from day 1, and every stupid, wannabe DJ's saw their gear is been used by the "best DJ's".... evry one of them wanted and bought their stuff.

Serato should start their own HW or CAREFULLY listen to their users, and make their SW WAY more flexible as today.
And should act FAST, because if the major brand sucks up a big amount of their customers, they will most likely NEVER look back or return!
JDfunky 11:34 PM - 28 February, 2018
As Lord Fluff said:

.. and therein lies the issues. Serato have told me that the software can't "dig in" to the iTunes Library to see the Ratings field.
JDfunky 11:35 PM - 28 February, 2018
As Lord Fluff said:

.. and therein lies the issues. Serato have told me that the software can't "dig in" to the iTunes Library to see the Ratings field.
JDfunky 11:35 PM - 28 February, 2018
Geez no idea why that got posted 4 times!?
DJ-Yuma 12:41 AM - 1 March, 2018
Hi JDFunky,

It is true that the ratings are part of the itunes library own tags but so are the iTunes playlists and you can see them in Serato (same data files). I think it is more of a priority than feasability problem at the moment.
desioner 1:57 AM - 1 March, 2018
I agree with Yuma on that. I'm sure it's very possible but there are most likely more important priorities that need to be implemented. Would love to see this and many other things added… eventually.
realstacktrace 4:12 PM - 1 March, 2018
Quote:
As Lord Fluff said:

Stating the obvious but the software certainly could, it's just that Serato has unfortunately chosen to not do it.
DjRepublic1 5:11 PM - 1 March, 2018
The problem is they replied that they were going to add the option but they didn't. They are clearly laughing at us
realstacktrace 5:16 PM - 1 March, 2018
Quote:
The problem is they replied that they were going to add the option but they didn't. They are clearly laughing at us

The joke is on those who think action will be taken swiftly.
alec.tron 9:19 PM - 1 March, 2018
Quote:
The thing with iTunes ratings are that they're not part of the ID3 tag,

This is BS. Plain and simple.
ID3 has a metadata field POPM, which holds the rating value. This is a standardized convention.
ITunes in turn reads this field and stores it in the xml - the syntax is
<key>Rating</key><integer>40</integer> (= a rating of 2 stars...)
This is documented well and there's a gazillion threads about this...
discussions.apple.com

Quote:
The joke is on those who think action will be taken swiftly.

True, it's only been 14 years of Serato refusing to add a POPM/Ratings & ignoring this....

c.
DJ-Yuma 6:17 AM - 6 March, 2018
Hi all,

Sorry for taking so long but I wanted to test it on Windows, Mac and make sure it was easy to use.

Here is the link to the tool I coded:
- github.com
- Or directly to the release page: github.com

Just download the ".jar" file and make sure you have Java 8 or above installed.

Despite the fact I performed testing and that I personally use it. I do want to mention that I did it in my spare time for free and I don't want to be blamed in case something happens. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

For any bugs or issues, please report them here: github.com

Thank you guys. Looking forward to your feedback.
gross1 7:40 PM - 6 March, 2018
DJ Yuma - you rock.
Thanks Dude - will give it a go.
Geerbox 6:23 PM - 27 December, 2018
+1

I'm a Traktor Pro user attempting to switch to Serato, but this feature seems missing in Serato?
Traktor natively displays the yellow 5 star ratings from my iTunes library, and this is a great reference while playing live. My playlist structure depends on my ability to see song ratings

Thanks
gross1 7:29 PM - 27 December, 2018
Yeah its a real pain not to have iTunes ratings come through into Serato Geerbox.

As a workaround, I add XXX's into the composer ID tag so they show up in Serato.
Have been doing it for years now.
I don't know how others can play an organic set without seeing ratings in Serato.
Once in Serato I then also colour code my tracks to ratings as well.

Seems to be unnecessary double handling but setting up smart playlists in iTunes to show which tracks are not matching XXX's to Ratings helps.

Good luck with the transition.
realstacktrace 6:56 PM - 28 December, 2018
Has Serato still not enabled this? I was hoping with 2.1 there might be a slight chance we'd see it, but I doubt it's there.
alec.tron 9:16 PM - 28 December, 2018
Nope... and I've ditched Serato now thanks to them not adressing some of these long standing issue / low hanging fruits in this new major version branch (but will keep an eye on the future development...).
05spoof 3:06 PM - 6 January, 2019
Not a complete solution but a I've been using emoji's as a workaround for a long while now. Specificly a star emoji in an empty field like comments or remixer to create a ratings system in Serato. Beats using X's, exclamations, or asterics.

Not exactly the fix everyone is expecting but it's the only option available till serato implements ratings...it's tedious though.
JDfunky 11:19 PM - 6 January, 2019
I use an Applescript to transfer the star rating from iTunes to the Composer field. Can then sort by star rating in Serato.
dj_soo 6:08 AM - 10 January, 2019
Agree that this would be nice.

My workaround has been to make separate smart playlists for each star rating, and then mass tag them via color codes in Serato. The nice part is that you can sort by color codes so as long as you pick the right colors for each rating, you get essentially the same result.

It's worked for me, but it's obviously one extra step when I'm managing my collection.
JDfunky 8:54 AM - 18 February, 2019
Hey guys, finally someone has written a decent Applescript to transfer star ratings from iTunes to an unused field of your choice, e.g. Composer (which I use), Grouping, Comments (start or end of Comments field).

I highly recommend Doug's scripts to Mac users, I use many of them for other things. They are freeware, you have a choice to donate to him if you find it valuable. (It's well worth some $$ for me to do this easily!)

here's the link:

dougscripts.com

JD
gross1 7:39 PM - 18 February, 2019
Nice find JD funky.
Will give it a whirl.