Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

When engaging FX while recording, my songs will "pop", with a gap in playback

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
spkrbx 7:06 PM - 14 September, 2013
When I'm mixing and recording at the same time, I'll occasionally get a delay in playback or a "pop" when using FX. This happens regularly when using the board, somewhat less when using Serato Remote.

Basically, it's similar to when someone bumps a table while using vinyl, minus the tearing sound of the needle. Very unprofessional.

Thanks for the help!
Eplo 12:53 AM - 15 September, 2013
+1 sounds bad. i noticed it first when I was engaging "bit crusher" and the sound cut out.
spkrbx 4:21 PM - 15 September, 2013
Quote:
+1 sounds bad. i noticed it first when I was engaging "bit crusher" and the sound cut out.

Thanks for speaking up about this, Eplo. I find it also happens when I've got active FX on both channels.

Could it be a laptop issue? For example, not enough ram or something to hold all the recording data plus the sound tweaks? No idea.
Eplo 3:34 AM - 16 September, 2013
I had no problems with sound drops before the FX update. I consider myself pretty fx-heavy when I play, so the only thing that I can think of is the new FX is to blame. I'll keep an eye on this post and hopefully a Serato tech gives some help.
Serato, Support
Rui K 11:55 PM - 17 September, 2013
Hi spkrbx,

Thanks for get in touch with us. FX is one of the feature use lot of resources from your computer. Plus recording add more CPU usage therefore you need a bit of software adjustment first. Then upgrade your computer if its necessary.

Some users are resolve this issue by changing display setup (Maximum Screen Update Per Second) on Serato DJ to reduce the load on their CPU.

Quote:

Maximum Screen Updates

Allows you to limit the screen refresh rate, Reduce the screen refresh rate to reduce the load on your CPU. This could be useful if you want to limit Serato DJ's processor usage, for example if you are running a recording program at the same time as Serato DJ, Reducing Maximum Screen Update may make the software appear jittery.

Also adjusting USB Buffersize (Latency) would help this issue.

Please let me know how it go. I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Rui
spkrbx 1:36 AM - 23 September, 2013
Quote:
Hi spkrbx,

Thanks for get in touch with us. FX is one of the feature use lot of resources from your computer. Plus recording add more CPU usage therefore you need a bit of software adjustment first. Then upgrade your computer if its necessary.

Some users are resolve this issue by changing display setup (Maximum Screen Update Per Second) on Serato DJ to reduce the load on their CPU.

Quote:
Maximum Screen Updates

Allows you to limit the screen refresh rate, Reduce the screen refresh rate to reduce the load on your CPU. This could be useful if you want to limit Serato DJ's processor usage, for example if you are running a recording program at the same time as Serato DJ, Reducing Maximum Screen Update may make the software appear jittery.

Also adjusting USB Buffersize (Latency) would help this issue.

Please let me know how it go. I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
Rui

Thank you for the response, Rui.

I made sure that I'm using the latest version of Serato and made the adjustments that you suggested. I've still heard the blips, but they are not as prevalent. I'll update soon when I've got a bit more experience with the decreased settings in screen refresh and USB Buffersize.

I still would not consider this issue resolved as my latest mix had 3 such gaps.
Serato, Support
Rui K 4:44 AM - 23 September, 2013
No problem spkrbx,

Also I would suggest you to try computer optimisation. Close any background applications and see if that affect to the performance.

This is the article for computer optimisation - serato.com

Regards
Rui
spkrbx 5:01 PM - 25 September, 2013
Quote:
No problem spkrbx,

Also I would suggest you to try computer optimisation. Close any background applications and see if that affect to the performance.

This is the article for computer optimisation - serato.com

Regards
Rui

Thanks, Rui K.

UPDATE: I've been mixing deep house with overlaying FX to try and recreate the issue. Just last night, I had 3 tracks going, each track with FX turned on. Tracks 1 (ending track) & 2 (looped drum beat) had slight phasing and slight tremolo. Track 3 (new track) had no FX.

Switching the FX on and off didn't cause any issues. The music sounded clear and uninterrupted. However, I had to adjust Track 3 using the pitch control. The resulting sound is hard to explain, but to me, it sounded like i was plugging an audio jack into live speakers. That loud staticy noise.

The mix was ruined and I had to start over. I'm beginning to agree with Rui K that these issues are related to the performance of my laptop.

I was running without anything open except for Serato DJ and Serato Remote (iPad).

Screen Updates: 20
USB Buffersize: 512

Macbook Pro 15-inch (Mid-2010)
4GB Ram
500GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256MB
Serato, Support
Rui K 4:43 AM - 26 September, 2013
Hi spkrbx,

Thanks for your update. If problem is still occur even after your setting change and optimisation, you might need a upgrade.

Try adjust USB Buffersize to 1024 and see how it go. And can you able to find out what is your HDD speed? (rpm)

Spotlight > Search System Information > Click "Serial-ATA" from the list on left side > "Rotational Rate" You will probably see 5400 or 7200

Regards
Rui
7:05 AM, 10 Oct 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.