Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

ID3 Tags More of Them

Nova 11:45 PM - 10 August, 2004
We need more kind of id3 tags like:

Keywords
Rating
Playcount

It helps to have ratings and other things for people who dj
many different styles. I got over 11000 songs and all the refencing helps alot. Really competeing with final scrach
I would like to see all ID3 tags to Transfer over.

For people who started organized and did all the editing in FS it just makes the switch alot smoother.
nik39 11:49 PM - 10 August, 2004
Good point.
lo-fi 10:09 PM - 11 August, 2004
I'd like it to be as much like iTunes as possible. Tags, sorting methods, everything. I don't know a better way of sorting/finding tracks than iTunes.
Prime-X 10:39 PM - 11 August, 2004
The first time I've used itunes is when I got my Rane Serato and I think it's really a good program when it comes on audio files, I used to use creative appl. when I first got mp3 player but itunes is the bomb. So, please SSL, can you please make it something like it.
Prime-X 11:04 PM - 11 August, 2004
ooops...sorry about that.
Serato
Josh 11:14 PM - 11 August, 2004
that's ok, I fixed it :-)
Stuart Ramdeen 10:35 PM - 12 August, 2004
Quote:
I'd like it to be as much like iTunes as possible. Tags, sorting methods, everything. I don't know a better way of sorting/finding tracks than iTunes.

dam right. get all those tags flowing
:-)

ps, I don't work for Apple. well, kinda........ ;-)
lo-fi 9:47 AM - 14 August, 2004
I work for Apple. In the sense that I work my ass off to afford everything Apple wants to sell me. Cinema Display, iPod, Powerbook ... Where will it end?
chubbsta 1:19 AM - 15 August, 2004
Quote:
I work for Apple. In the sense that I work my ass off to afford everything Apple wants to sell me. Cinema Display, iPod, Powerbook ... Where will it end?
Ha, Ha, Ha! Me too... Heads up, lo-fi! At least, we're doing it for a good cause (To stop "Evil Bill" to take over the world =oD)
nik39 11:30 PM - 15 August, 2004
Quote:
At least, we're doing it for a good cause (To stop "Evil Bill" to take over the world =oD)

You guys are strictly paranoid and crazy ;-))
Stuart Ramdeen 5:15 PM - 16 August, 2004
come on guys, haven't you seen iRobot? Bill Gates is no longer the richest man in the world in 2035 so there's nothing to worry about other than the ns5

(well, actually he isn't anymore anyhow... The boss of ikea is.... Think about it. Who do you know what doesn't have at least one item no matter how small, from these doods????)

s
chubbsta 6:44 PM - 16 August, 2004
Quote:
come on guys, haven't you seen iRobot? Bill Gates is no longer the richest man in the world in 2035 so there's nothing to worry about other than the ns5

(well, actually he isn't anymore anyhow... The boss of ikea is.... Think about it. Who do you know what doesn't have at least one item no matter how small, from these doods????)

s

OH MY GOD! THE DEVIL IS SWEDISH!!! *lol*
Serato, Moderator
AJ 8:58 AM - 17 August, 2004
Quote:

Keywords
Rating
Playcount

I don't think any of these are ID3 tags. Rating and playcount in iTunes appear to be stored in the iTunes library, I just tried changing the rating of one of my files in iTunes, and the modification date of the file did not change. Also, since play count is modified every time you play a song, it is clearly not saved with the file.

As for keywords, I've never heard of this tag, and it isn't supported by iTunes, so you must be talking about some other software. What program are you using? Are you sure it is a real tag that is saved into the song?
nik39 10:36 AM - 17 August, 2004
Keywords + Rating were also supported by FS, so I dont think thats an iTunes specific thing.
Serato, Moderator
AJ 12:17 AM - 18 August, 2004
No I said Keywords is NOT supported by iTunes. I've never heard of it. If it is in FS, then it might be a FS only thing.
nik39 12:31 AM - 18 August, 2004
Oops, sorry, I meant rating + playcount.
SpinThis! 2:43 AM - 18 August, 2004
that doesn't mean ssl couldn't read the itunes xml database and query for playcount and rating...
Serato, Moderator
AJ 4:25 AM - 18 August, 2004
That is definitely true, although we wouldn't be able to update the playcount, so it would only represent the number of times you'd played it in iTunes. The alternative would be to maintain a scratch live playcount, if you wanted to know how often you'd played a track in scratch live.

Rating we could read, but we wouldn't be able to set it, unless we kept a separate rating from iTunes.
djpetey 8:26 AM - 18 August, 2004
I liked the record label field in fs.... I dont know if thats standard id3 or not, but it came in handy sometimes
djpetey 12:58 PM - 19 August, 2004
have producer, remixer, and record label all been added to this list? those are also fields that I used quite a bit in fs.... but, I have no idea if they are id3 fields or not.... they way im using my system, my files are shared regularly with 3 of my computers, so I only want fields that are actually written to the mp3 id3 tag.... I dont know much about id3 tags, so I dont know if those fields are options or not
djjb 9:53 PM - 29 August, 2004
Considering how SSL already works with iTunes for file and playlist management, I'd request support for more of the iTunes tags for display in the SSL interface. The one I miss most is Grouping, because I use that to mark the key of the track, and could really use that information for harmonic mixing.
Thundercat 8:49 PM - 6 November, 2004
I don't see it mentioned here so I would like to see the Year tag added. I had mentioned it in another thread but figured this would be the appropriate place to ask. I would reeeeeealy like to be able to sort my library by date in SSL. Making a crate for every year back to the 50's would end up geting cumbersome.
nik39 6:39 PM - 26 November, 2004
Quote:
That is definitely true, although we wouldn't be able to update the playcount, so it would only represent the number of times you'd played it in iTunes. The alternative would be to maintain a scratch live playcount, if you wanted to know how often you'd played a track in scratch live.

That would be nice, a SSL track-play-counter.
aaronb 2:00 PM - 8 June, 2005
Key/keycode (not sure if there are standard id3 tags for these).
Detroitbootybass 3:41 PM - 8 June, 2005
Quote:
Key/keycode (not sure if there are standard id3 tags for these).

I just took over the 'remixer' area for keys and key codes.
ACME 12:37 AM - 9 June, 2005
Rating would be nice!
Rating can already be changed in the iPod and then automatically set in iTunes, so I guess you could ask Apple how to set rating?
nik39 1:37 PM - 20 August, 2005
Quote:
Quote:

That would be nice, a SSL track-play-counter.

How are the chances to get a SSL playcounter for each track (preferable stored into the tags not in the database)? I would find this very usefull, cause right now my SSL track library is growing and growing and growing. I know HD space is not expensive, but laptops HDs have a limit. Also I would like to have my SSL library trimmed down due to all problems you get with biiiig libraries (how to backup, keep tidy etc).
With a playcounter I could decide each 3 months, which songs I have on the laptop which are old (with the help of the added import date which is hopefully coming as well) and havent been played at all, or only a few times. Those files could be wipe of the drive. Whatcha think?
BassChamber 3:23 PM - 20 August, 2005
i agree, the more tools to clear our library, the better. dont know the performance consequences though... but i like it.
djwaz 5:55 PM - 20 August, 2005
Date added & date modified would be awesome as well, don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet... I use it all the time to find new tracks i've uploaded
nik39 4:23 AM - 26 November, 2005
Quote:
How are the chances to get a SSL playcounter for each track (preferable stored into the tags not in the database)? I would find this very usefull, cause right now my SSL track library is growing and growing and growing. I know HD space is not expensive, but laptops HDs have a limit. Also I would like to have my SSL library trimmed down due to all problems you get with biiiig libraries (how to backup, keep tidy etc).
With a playcounter I could decide each 3 months, which songs I have on the laptop which are old (with the help of the added import date which is hopefully coming as well) and havent been played at all, or only a few times. Those files could be wipe of the drive. Whatcha think?

Bump... Anyone reading this? Any comments?
nik39 4:31 AM - 26 November, 2005
Combined with a rating system (doesnt sound like a big wish...) this would help a lot, making it easier to keep up with your library.
ACME 1:49 PM - 30 November, 2005
yes, a counter would be usefull
soul 6:54 AM - 4 December, 2005
I just want to leave my 2 cents about the having ratings in serato. It does really help those of use who have thousands of songs. Otherwise I'm gonna have to rate my songs in the comments section. But thats gonna take literally weeks.
ACME 4:45 PM - 5 December, 2005
Rating and tagging definitely help now that people buy lots of music in digital form.
A tag browser like the one used in the Apple Loops Browser in Logic would be really cool.
argalias 5:10 PM - 4 January, 2006
for djs that use harmonic mixing its important to add the Key tag. Also a tag showing last time played will be very usefull.

thanks
Menace 6:52 PM - 4 January, 2006
RATING please! That shouldn`t be too hard to add in SSL. PLEASE!
bs 8:25 AM - 7 March, 2006
Please add "Key" tag in SSL. A lot of djs & me too can't live without it. It would be useful, if you would add a key calculator, so it would add some percents to the key stored in track's tag to measure the current key.
bs 8:27 AM - 7 March, 2006
I meant key column! The key tag is stored id id3v2 tags.
ABM 6:56 PM - 15 March, 2006
If I could but in the requirement as such:
A method to create, retrieve, update, delete values from ID3 tags. A method to retrieve and update the iTunes database.

Thanks SSL Team!
vidoona 6:50 AM - 26 April, 2006
rating, counter, last played, and def. key (especially for PnT)
DJ Flegz 12:16 AM - 24 June, 2006
Please add "my rating" from iTunes ASAP. Also, I know you plan to support "Master Tempo" eventually, I would like to see that ASAP too. Both of these features would be tremendous additions to SSL. Thanks!
ekalb 4:43 AM - 24 June, 2006
this maybe lame but real player has an assortment of features in it's editing program
Pete Moss 5:48 PM - 25 June, 2006
keywords = comments
Idlemind1999 4:53 AM - 26 June, 2006
Quote:
Rating we could read, but we wouldn't be able to set it, unless we kept a separate rating from iTunes.

there are several osx widgets that allow setting the ratings of itunes songs while itunes is playing. But i understand what u mean about having to do it seperately
deepdjdanny 12:46 PM - 30 August, 2006
ssl key field. (eg. key.C#m(d)) (perhaps not id3vx.x tag)
ability to copy or move/extract key textual info from a field like comments to the new or more appropriate key field.
eg. sort remixers column in a way that shows up all tracks with key info. highlight these track entries copy/move in one keystroke this info to the corresponding track's key field.
key.D.Bm.
ABM 11:30 PM - 31 August, 2006
there is a workaround for key fields. use Rapid Evolution to identify and tag your songs, let it write the field to the 'grouping' tag. Grouping shows up in SSL.
freekthefunk 7:28 AM - 23 December, 2006
It would be nice to veiw by a 2nd genre. I tag certian songs with multiple genres if they are goodtransition songs. It would be great to see this info for quick refernce.
ekwipt 8:18 AM - 23 December, 2006
Key tag would be nice, then i could use the comments for something else, i'd really love a cross referencing to track tag thing that automatically updated for the track you are currently playing.
i.e. Track A is playing and mixes well with d, r, g, d but not ,c,z,y....etc, if you catch my drift
ABM 10:11 AM - 23 December, 2006
ekwipt - check out Rapid Evolution - it has a function called "mix out" that gives you a solution to identifying which songs mix well with others.
ekwipt 8:07 AM - 24 December, 2006
Thanks ABM i use mixed in key i'd rather have serato do something similar i think it's a great concept
DJ BIS 5:29 PM - 24 December, 2006
Defenitely create a way for us to see the ratings that we spend so much time putting into iTunes! It would be a huge help!

Either that or give us multiple track selection capability so that we may be able to change the track colors and other tags at once. We can use colors to signify ratings maybe? Or maybe another tag field for rating codes such as 1 Star or 1X, etc?

Thank you RANE!
djderby 10:36 PM - 3 January, 2007
adding the iTunes 'RATINGS FIELD' to SSL would INDEED be a good (and simple) feature

...it's a bit of a problem although coz iTunes stores ratings IN the library database and NOT in the MP3file...i don't get why they do it like that...
Dale 4:06 AM - 4 January, 2007
Even documenting them would be stellar. Knowing what fields Serato reads/writes in MP3 and OGG would be very helpful.
derby 5:19 AM - 4 January, 2007
Quote:
adding the iTunes 'RATINGS FIELD' to SSL would INDEED be a good (and simple) feature

...it's a bit of a problem although coz iTunes stores ratings IN the library database and NOT in the MP3file...i don't get why they do it like that...

because there is no id3 tag for rating.
derby 5:40 AM - 4 January, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

because there is no id3 tag for rating.

actually, i lied.

it appears there is a "popularimeter" frame, but it evidently isn't a very popular one. a google search turned up discussions relating to it's lack of use.
Wes Rocket 2:12 PM - 19 May, 2007
Anyone know if this original topic wnet anywhere?

Keywords
Rating
Playcount

I've followed several threads and might have missed something...The thread on smartlists is good, but I ahve the same problem as descrivbed there, needing differen rating SL's, 1 to 5, for many genres..gets a bit long...

Wes
DJ BIS 9:38 PM - 21 May, 2007
If you use itunes playlists for your SSL day to day activities, be sure to search for keywords "iTunes" "Rating" "Color tags".
I have been able to use smart-playlists on iTunes and use SSL's color tagging system to view my ratings...

Kind of a home made solution but better than nothing.
Wes Rocket 5:38 PM - 5 August, 2007
anything happened on this?

I use smartlists extensively but the play count is a big deal for me. I rarely play the songs in iTunes except when needle dropping, so it doesn't really tell me anythinga bout my true performance criteria when djing.

anyone have a creative solution as it is?
dtism 8:14 PM - 29 August, 2007
+1 on more tags.

Having the abilty to have multiple genres and multiple comments as user-definable fields would be great.
Dale 12:49 AM - 30 August, 2007
genres and grouping are great tags which are defined in both mp3 and ogg standards. Unfortunately, only genre is well support across different players/editors. I would LOVE to use grouping, but had to fall back to put that info in the comment field.

BTW, I put many values in my genre field. Its rare that I just label something, for example, "house". Instead I say "House, Westcoast, Jazzy". Serato's ctrl-f find is FANTASTIC and will search through everyone to find substrings and the intersection of them. So if I typed "house jazz" into Serato's find, this example would be listed.

I never...ever...use the browse functionality in serato. Music (and how most people thing) isn't a tree hierarchy of genre-bpm-artist. Instead, people probably think, "I want a jazzy house song somewhere around 126bpm". So I use find and type "jazz house" and then click the sort by bpm column to find the group of songs near 126.
DJ BIS 8:23 PM - 1 September, 2007
I believe the grouping field is available on Serato and iTunes! double check! :)
Dale 4:34 PM - 4 September, 2007
I think iTunes does. However, while it might be great for consumers and the mass public, it doesn't meet my needs. I don't use iTunes or Windows Media Player. Grouping is only one small need of mine.

Instead, I've been using Foobar2000 primarily with occasional support w/ MediaMoney. I wanted (some cases needed) more flexibility and control to manage my music collection and mass consumer-oriented tools like iTunes and WMP could not meet my needs.

There is life outside Apple's closed iTunes/iPod marketplace. Glad to see it is opening up a little as DRM is being relaxed.
Triv4life 6:41 PM - 5 September, 2007
I think ssl should have a id3 tag search engine or somthing of the sort for those of use who either switched from a pc to a mac or vise versa i been using mp3s for about 3 years i first started converted my cds in about 2004 and those id3 tags were on an windows media player so ssl dont pick nothing up just the file name maybe it was me being nieve at the time and ripping the cds the wrong way plus all the bit rates are at 128kps i am all screwed up lol so hopefully this can be added
ekwipt 10:30 PM - 5 September, 2007
Triv4life +1,

An ID3 search from Discogs would do me wonders, then you could automatically find album art and insert that also
Toby82 10:37 AM - 6 September, 2007
@Triv4life:
I would recommend using MAX (sbooth.org) and reencode all your cd's at a higher Bitrate. It does a ID3-tag search, you can add covers by drag and drop, ...

I use MAX and it works very well for me.
DJ BIS 5:36 PM - 6 September, 2007
The only thing that gets close to iTunes in terms of collection and database management (specially when it comes to advanced features) is Foobar. In fact Foobar by far surpasses the capability of iTunes, but its not-so-friendly- user interface and the fact that Serato prefers iTunes is what makes me stay with iTunes.

I have been using it for over a year now and things have been going great.
ekwipt 12:06 AM - 7 September, 2007
+1 for Foobar
fl0w 7:26 PM - 24 November, 2007
(this is my first post here, don't flame me too fast ;) )

I'd appreciate support for custom tags. I do extensively use the discogs plugin of foobar2000, which adds quite a lot of interesting, but non standard, tags (e.g. DISCOGS_CATALOG). I do also sometimes add my own tags by hand.

So it would be very cool if we could define our own tags.

Thank you for reading :)
bourbonstmc 1:10 AM - 17 December, 2007
Play count, play count, play count!!!

www.scratchlive.net
DJ BIS 3:15 PM - 18 December, 2007
you want to keep track of what's really hot on your collection?
bourbonstmc 7:36 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
you want to keep track of what's really hot on your collection?

Bingo. What's hot, to reclassify in easier-to-find ways; and what's not, to weed out and banish to you ext. HD (or your back-up ext HD, if you play off an ext. HD)...

www.scratchlive.net
nik39 7:55 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:

Keywords
Rating
Playcount

I am for all three of those.

Playcount is indeed helpful for weeding out the library. But I think before that happens we need a correct "history" (what has been played that night) because it makes no sense just to simply increase the playcounter if you load a track to a deck, cue it up, but then decide to play a different track.
bourbonstmc 8:15 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:

Playcount is indeed helpful for weeding out the library. But I think before that happens we need a correct "history" (what has been played that night) because it makes no sense just to simply increase the playcounter if you load a track to a deck, cue it up, but then decide to play a different track.

This is kind of a moot point. Even if didn't play it, if you thought about playing, it must be worth keeping. Even if you loaded a wacked-out track by mistake, the odds are long that you'll repeatedly load the same wacked-out track enough to throw the play count off too much.
nik39 8:32 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
This is kind of a moot point. Even if didn't play it, if you thought about playing, it must be worth keeping. Even if you loaded a wacked-out track by mistake, the odds are long that you'll repeatedly load the same wacked-out track enough to throw the play count off too much.

Nope, not for me. There are for example a couple of tracks which I have in different versions. So it happens that I mistakenly load again and again the wrong track. So the playcounter gets a bump with each wrong load.
bourbonstmc 8:38 PM - 18 December, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, not for me. There are for example a couple of tracks which I have in different versions. So it happens that I mistakenly load again and again the wrong track. So the playcounter gets a bump with each wrong load.

Put more distinguishing text in the "song" field so you can tell the different mixes apart.
nik39 8:46 PM - 18 December, 2007
Right. That arguement would also apply to your "what's hot, to reclassify in easier-to-find ways; and what's not, to weed out and banish".

Put more distinguishing text in the "song" field so you can tell the good tracks from the bad apart.

Point is, that the playcount should make things easier for us, to filter out your library. If the playhistory-thing is fixed at first (or better: correctly implemented) that would help making the playcount really more expressive. As said, if you are uncertain about one track during a night and you load it 6 times and then decide to play it later, it will get six hits for the playcount (well... 7 when you really play it ;) ) while a club banger which you exactly know when to play will just get one hit for the playcounter.
bourbonstmc 9:11 PM - 18 December, 2007
If the wrong mix showed up as your most played track, you could add text in the song field that says something like NO NOT THIS ONE. Not having a play count doesn't make it any easier to find.
nik39 9:14 PM - 18 December, 2007
You did not read what I wrote.
Kidkotch 7:42 PM - 3 April, 2008
Palease , please , please add a space for the with the BPM in the top display. It suck when I forget what key the current song is in while searching of the next track.
nik39 7:47 PM - 3 April, 2008
Quote:
Palease , please , please add a space for the with the BPM in the top display.

Wavie alarm.

There is already space for BPM in the top display. :)
ABM 3:38 AM - 4 April, 2008
i think he meant add some other tag in addition to the BPM. if i could guess he means a place for "key". which would be neat for me as well. thank you.
Kidkotch 6:11 AM - 4 April, 2008
OOPS, I meant a place for the KEY with the BPM.
DJ BIS 11:08 AM - 6 April, 2008
I'd love that!
Dr0p 8:45 AM - 7 April, 2008
bump
dj sketch 1:56 AM - 25 April, 2008
I would love Key and Keycode be added
DJ Tom B. (Booty Shakers) 10:33 AM - 25 June, 2008
+1 for more ID3 tags fields
LosMintos 7:12 AM - 10 September, 2008
User defined columns as supported by many audio player software (e.g. foobar) would be very nice!

This should work with ID3Tags (any version, at least ID3v2.3) and Vorbis comments and---when supported---FLAC comments.
Funkytownstopsix 8:22 PM - 11 September, 2008
I agree with Nik39 as always. I rename my songs/videos right in SL and never change the file itself,it would be nice if it rewrote tag information and embedded it to the song/video if I choose for it to. Not make it mandatory but give you the choice just like building overview. And with the play count it would be very helpful in deleting many files you never play. As one who is in an MP3/Video Pool I got shit everywhere and this idea would be very helpful. One more thing that I would like to see is different crate colors, here's why, my buddy brings his drive and plugs it and now I got a tone of crates. It would be nice if I can give each crate a different color so I can find them faster and easier,,,,you all know the look the same.
fl0w 10:05 PM - 15 September, 2008
"ID3v2.4 is the latest version of the standard, dated November 1, 2000."
(wikipedia)

Please make Serato compatible with ID3v2.4!
Some of us use up-to-date software, unlike itunes!

and @LosMintos: +1 for user-defined columns, I think I've suggested this in the past...
nik39 8:29 AM - 16 September, 2008
id3v2.4 implementations are very buggy.
deepdjdanny 5:33 AM - 22 September, 2008
very true
SeriousCyrus 8:58 AM - 23 September, 2008
Another one for the "My Rating" stars in iTunes to be available, last played would be handy too. I'm usualy listening to the iPod by day, and mark down the tracks I like with a rating.

It would be really useful to identify the tracks I know I'd like to use, so I can put them in a seperate crate when I get the chance. At the moment I'm swapping back and forth between iTunes and Serato.
DJ BIS 12:15 PM - 28 September, 2008
Quote:
Another one for the "My Rating" stars in iTunes to be available, last played would be handy too. I'm usualy listening to the iPod by day, and mark down the tracks I like with a rating.

It would be really useful to identify the tracks I know I'd like to use, so I can put them in a seperate crate when I get the chance. At the moment I'm swapping back and forth between iTunes and Serato.

Hey Serious, are you already using color tagging in some sort of useful way? I ask because I can explain how I view my iTunes star ratings (sacred to me) but not with stars on SSL, instead, with COLORS!!!

Let me know!
Foolio 12:23 AM - 9 December, 2008
Crate specific tags (for ordering tracks) would be a huge help for me (sorry if this is an old suggestion - I did look...)
I've got instumental + accapella mixes in some of my FATTEST mixes - so FAT that I don't want to forget the combination, so add a comment and use that to order the tracks (ie. 1, 2a, 2b, 3 etc.).
Works great till I want to use the same track in a different crate (and obviously a different mix) and keep a unique ordering system for that crate. I've gone through using the colours and id3 fields I don't use, but it all gets messy...
Any thoughts? Is there a way around this I'm missing? Anyone else think this'd be useful?
Foolio 10:02 AM - 9 December, 2008
oh snap! worked it out by myself...

i probalby could have re-read the manual too
damixx 10:17 AM - 19 May, 2009
RATING please!!
damixx 10:18 AM - 19 May, 2009
Rating, Mediamonkey style (10 levels, they use half stars, but numbers can be used too)
Frgi 8:44 PM - 5 August, 2009
some answer from Serato crew will help ... when will be possible iTunes star rating ??
DJ BIS 8:50 PM - 5 August, 2009
Look up iTunes color rating on the SSL search for some ideas on how to go about it with the SSL color markers.
Frgi 10:09 PM - 5 August, 2009
@DJ BIS tnx for advice .. .i use color ratings but that is not that what i (we all) need ... iTunes is my default mp3 player / playlist manager so it is natural to have this very useful and important option in SL ...

maybe there is some big (programing) problem about this feature in SL, i dont know ... but still it will be so nice to know what exactly is going on with this feature ...

instead stars, maybe numbers ??? when i export playlist from iTunes, instead stars i got value in numbers ... every star stand for 20

* = 20
** = 40
*** = 60
**** = 80
***** = 100

that is good enough for me !!

we all must rate music somehow .. we all have too much music in one HD this days ... if we all (most of as) prepare music in iTunes and rate it .... that rating must be visible somehow in SL ... color ratings simple isnt good enough

we need to wait and see what will Serato crew answer on that ...
on5sl 1:32 PM - 7 August, 2009
Ratings would really be welcome! Also keep in mind that iTunes doesn't actually write the ratings to the ID3 tags. So please support this feature! When you got a lot of tracks and you don't know the names anymore the ratings really can save you a lot of time wasting search work!
DJ BIS 11:29 AM - 10 August, 2009
It seems iTunes is very low in the list of priorities for SSL developers at this point (see here: www.scratchlive.net ) So I would imagine that Star Ratings would be even further down the list of things to incorporate.

FRGI, I don't think you did the search I mentioned, so I did it for you (see here: www.scratchlive.net)

I have followed this system for a long time and visually it is much better than seeing stars, as colors stand out much easier.

Unless you already utilize SSL color tags for songs heavily, you may well benefit from this technique.

Peace.
Frgi 2:03 PM - 10 August, 2009
@ DJ BIS... tnx .. this thing with "Grouping" category sound very interesting ... i will try that for sure ... but still, ... this is two jobs instead just one and seems, it is something like pain in the ass to do if you have system that works already ... i listen music on my iPod and i make star ratings directly on iPod while listening new music ... after that simple sync with iTunes do the rest of job ...

beside Serato i use Traktor too (can i say this over here, if not sorry ;) only just with X:1D controller (no scratch version, for that i have SSL ) and Traktor dont have any problems with star ratings ... well, why is that ... ??

on the end, i must say that im kinda sad to not have that simple feature in my SSL because it will make life a little easier for many people out there ... i like Serato pretty much over Traktor and probably i never will stop use it for djing ... i want to my SLL be better tool than Traktor in every way !!!

anyway ... tnx DJ BIS on advice, i will try that grouping thing, ... two jobs instead one ;(
Frgi 9:07 AM - 11 August, 2009
still waiting some officially answers from Serato crew.
DJ BIS 10:18 AM - 11 August, 2009
FRGI, you are right, its an extra step you have to go through by going to SSL and looking at your STAR RATING SMART PLAYLISTS, but its actually not as bad as it sounds because you can color tag songs in SSL in Bulk, so just select all the songs without a color tag and chnage to the appropiate star rating color you have chosen.

An extra step but well worth it if you want to use iTunes ratings on SSL.
Frgi 1:55 PM - 11 August, 2009
still waiting some officially answers from Serato crew.
Frgi 2:01 PM - 11 August, 2009
hmm .. . i something mess up with my Mozilla, ... browser resend my last post (it is same as earlier above) ... puff .. sorry for that. let moderator delete that last (same) post and this one too. sorry.
Alessandro 11:44 PM - 17 November, 2009
Please add the rating option to SSL. What's the problem?!
on5sl 8:13 AM - 18 November, 2009
guys it got a tip for you:

1) Make smart playlist in itunes for each star rating.
2) Select them all (for example the 2 starred smart playlist)
3) Go to properties and add in comment **
4) now you can use the comment field in serato as a semi star rating ;)

But still it would be better if it was supported out of the box. iTunes is one of the best media library programs with many years of development that Serato can't do better in such a short period.
DJ Mat .live 9:10 PM - 8 January, 2010
Quote:
guys it got a tip for you:

1) Make smart playlist in itunes for each star rating.
2) Select them all (for example the 2 starred smart playlist)
3) Go to properties and add in comment **
4) now you can use the comment field in serato as a semi star rating ;)

But still it would be better if it was supported out of the box. iTunes is one of the best media library programs with many years of development that Serato can't do better in such a short period.

i use the grouping field for the rating, so i can use the comment field for keywords
FunkFerret 11:44 PM - 15 January, 2011
Nice we have the Key field up in the top display..

..and just adding to the ask for a star 'rating' column to sort by. I don't care that I wont be able to change the rating from within SSL. All that is done in iTunes.

So many new versions of SSL out and still no rating field..
DJ Half 4:03 AM - 11 April, 2011
I'd like to add that we also get a column for Clean/DIrty tracks.
credentia1 4:33 AM - 12 April, 2011
I would like a rating system and random play so it can be used as a media player when offline
DJ Half 12:30 AM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:
I'd like to add that we also get a column for Clean/DIrty tracks.

a good idea would be, may a check box to indicate Explicit Lyrics in red along side the song title or something, kinda like in iTunes.
Funkytownstopsix 3:21 PM - 13 April, 2011
As far as Dirty/Clean you can tag that in the comments and could go a step further by giving them a color. All my dirty are red so as soon as I load it I know for a fact that you will hear BITCH FUCK ect ect.

What would be nice though is somthing that showed how many times songs were played, that way at the end of the year it would be easy to take your top songs and place them in a crate... and call it lets say 2011 hits..
djmallon 5:23 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:

What would be nice though is somthing that showed how many times songs were played, that way at the end of the year it would be easy to take your top songs and place them in a crate... and call it lets say 2011 hits..

Submit your playlists to serato.com - they show a personal chart on your profile of your top songs based on your submitted playlists
Funkytownstopsix 5:47 PM - 13 April, 2011
Quote:
Submit your playlists to serato.com - they show a personal chart on your profile of your top songs based on your submitted playlists

I don't want to submit anything, I want the software to generate that info for me. It would be kinda simple it could be written in the id tag of the mp4... so that every time the song is played it goes up a digit. Then you they can add a category and call it #played. Then end. Then all you have to do is click on the cat and get your top whatever.
DJ Half 1:18 AM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
As far as Dirty/Clean you can tag that in the comments and could go a step further by giving them a color. All my dirty are red so as soon as I load it I know for a fact that you will hear BITCH FUCK ect ect.

Thanks for suggestion. I'm already doing that. But, yeah, i'd like to use my Comments block for something else. Maybe a footnote to myself for that track? Kinda like a sticky.

Counter on tracks. Great idea.
WarpNote 5:44 PM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
Nice we have the Key field up in the top display..

..and just adding to the ask for a star 'rating' column to sort by. I don't care that I wont be able to change the rating from within SSL. All that is done in iTunes.

So many new versions of SSL out and still no rating field..

I use the "comments" field for rating, ie i write "1 Star", "2 Star" etc up to "5 Star".
I make sure to have smart lists in iTunes based on iTunes rating as well, then "sync" these... works well...
DJ Booga 12:43 PM - 19 September, 2011
+1 for implementing rating. somehow the scratchlive wizards get it done I'm sure ;)

Honestly, this would help a lot. I maintain all the tunes via intelligent lists inside iTunes by genre, comments AND ratings. Say you have a dance (genre) tunes from the house (comments) department which is top notch (5 stars) compared to another dance tune like a techno remix which ain't that great (no stars). BUT consider the scenario: you try this tune nevertheless and you realised it worked way better than imagined so you have to remember that you give the techno remix the ratings bump next time you open iTunes. If ratings would be implemented you could change it right away, yay. Does this sound lazy? Maybe but it's the flow of the moment you have to consider as a DJ, even when I look back the next day at the playlist it doesn't have to ring a bell if you know what I mean.

Cheers
schlabber 12:52 PM - 19 September, 2011
+1 for rating
BMorgan 5:44 PM - 2 October, 2011
+1
DJ P Jay 8:25 PM - 4 October, 2011
+1, defenitly on rating!
alec.tron 4:21 AM - 8 September, 2016
Hah... started in 2004...

Anyhow... 2016 here, and here's another attempt at a thread/petition to get star ratings to Serato (with a universally useful approach imo that also solves a few other problems, i.e. multi value metadata, aka more than 1 genre for a track...):
serato.com

Churs.
c.