Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Distortion On Echo Effect.

acemc 8:22 AM - 26 February, 2013
I only noticed this last night, but when using the echo effect, the overall output of the effect sounds really distorted & not clean at all compared to the original.
Im using SDJ with a NS6, so I'm not sure if this is isolated to the NS6 or if others are experiencing this too. I'd really appreciate it if someone out there can check this to see if it's just me / my setup. The quality of the effects overall are good, so when I hear the quality of this particular one, it doesn't really make any sense.
Thanks.
DJ T Marq 5:47 AM - 15 March, 2014
I'm experiencing the same problem with Serato DJ with my Numark NS7. If you found a way to fix it, please let me know!!
oli-t 11:13 PM - 6 April, 2014
Exact same problem here; echo is clearly distorted. I'm using Serato DJ with the Twitch controller from Novation, so it's definitely not limited to the Numarks. - Hopefully it will be addressed, but the lack of comments here doesn't invite optimism!
acemc 12:22 AM - 7 April, 2014
Since I posted this, I bought a DDJ-SX which has the same distortion on the echo.
That proves it's not controller specific, but rather a software or plugin issue.
Quote:
the lack of comments here doesn't invite optimism!

Sad but true, the fact that Serato blatantly ignores other other issues & requests that have 100's of customers begging, means that this particular post will never see the light of day.
SiRocket 6:44 AM - 7 April, 2014
i have the same issue on a rane 62....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:57 AM - 9 April, 2014
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback, we're currently investigating this internally to see what's going on there.

Sam.
aleksey 10:46 AM - 9 April, 2014
I have the same issue with SL2 and turntables.
acemc 8:25 PM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, we're currently investigating this internally to see what's going on there.

I take what I said back.
Thanks Sam.
punchisdj 3:05 AM - 11 April, 2014
I have the same issue on a rane 68 and rane 62 ... plus 68 effects are not following the songs bpm's
SiRocket 6:10 AM - 11 April, 2014
#stickersync needle drop to cueeeeeee :)
Andrei Matei 5:26 AM - 15 May, 2014
Any update on this from the Serato crew? I have the same issue.
SiRocket 8:56 AM - 15 May, 2014
#crickets
Andrei Matei 7:35 AM - 22 October, 2014
New Serato DJ 1.7.2 beta introduces the Echo Out similar to Scratch Live. Unfortunately It's distorted too.
JonathanP 2:44 PM - 11 January, 2015
What's the status on this bug? The first comment in this thread was made 2 years ago and the bug is still present in the latest version of the software (1.7.2). Do you have a plan for resolving this?
acemc 12:53 AM - 14 January, 2015
I take back what i said about taking back what I said.
Thanks for naught Sam.
Andrei Matei 1:01 AM - 29 January, 2015
Hey Serato Crew,

Any update on this? This is the only thing preventing me from moving forward with Serato DJ from SSL now. I feel we're being pretty patient. ;)

Andrei
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:57 PM - 1 February, 2015
Hey guys,

I am sorry there has been no progress on this issue. The Echo effects used in Serato DJ do have some tape saturation applied by design. However, if it were unanimously agreed that this does not sound good, then removing or lowering the amount of saturation is something we can look into at some stage.

Thanks for your feedback!
Andrei Matei 1:35 AM - 4 February, 2015
Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for the reply! Are there any plans on making either Combo Fade Echo or Echo out a "single" effect (as in SSL) vs. a chainable, 3-bank effect? Perhaps then, we could have a setting to adjust tape saturation, filter frequencies, etc. thus "solving" the issue?

Is there anything I can do to help with getting a consensus about this? Perhaps start a poll here or a petition elsewhere online? Just let me know what I can do and I'll try to get as many folks as possible to reply one way or the other.

Thanks sir.

Andrei
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:22 AM - 5 February, 2015
Quote:
Are there any plans on making either Combo Fade Echo or Echo out a "single" effect (as in SSL) vs. a chainable, 3-bank effect? Perhaps then, we could have a setting to adjust tape saturation, filter frequencies, etc. thus "solving" the issue?

Yes, we do have plans. Eventually we'd like users to be able to combine effects and tweak parameters to make their own versions of effects and load them into Multi FX slots.

This will require some sort of "Macro mode" similar to what existed in Scratch Live. I couldn't tell you when exactly we'll get to this though.

This is probably the best place to continue with feedback on the matter, but you are more than welcome to start a poll to get numbers.
pushafire 9:28 AM - 18 February, 2015
Andy News when this issue get fixet?
pushafire 9:29 AM - 18 February, 2015
Andy News when this issue get fixed?
Simon Love Carter 8:28 AM - 19 February, 2015
MACRO mode... mmm +1 of course!! Can't wait!!!
dj wayne0 9:54 PM - 23 February, 2015
same here bad distortion on echo out but not every time
Andrei Matei 1:15 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
same here bad distortion on echo out but not every time

Yeah, it depends on if you Echo out on a bass beat, a high hat, or somewhere inbetween. The distortion is always there but it depends on where you Echo out exactly as to how distorted it sounds.
A_Jack 1:16 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Yeah, it depends on if you Echo out on a bass beat, a high hat, or somewhere inbetween. The distortion is always there but it depends on where you Echo out exactly as to how distorted it sounds.

There's always very audible distortion when doing Echo out/Combo fade echo on kick drum or bass beat. Shouldn't be that way.
SiRocket 9:08 AM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

There's always very audible distortion when doing Echo out/Combo fade echo on kick drum or bass beat. Shouldn't be that way.
Andrei Matei 5:36 AM - 9 March, 2015
All, I have set up this poll for this issue: www.surveymonkey.com

The Serato team stated that if they can get a consensus that we all don't like the way it is, they will consider changing it to how it was on SSL.

Could you all fill out the simple yes/no questions (there are two of them) and also spread the word about the survery? I plan to give the results to Serato on May 1st.

Thanks in advance.

Andrei
Marv Incredible 2:31 PM - 9 March, 2015
+1 Signed and shared
J.J. 5:39 PM - 9 March, 2015
+1 Signed and shared

Why add distortion in the first place? If so, call it something else and bring back Scratch Live basic Echo. While your add it, bring back Effect Ultra Knob and Effect Master Knob. We want 3 or 6 Effects where we can adjust 3 parameters per Effect. Add 1 big knob to control all three. Scratch Live may not have had great effects, but the customizability was crazy and precise.
djcrap 4:26 AM - 10 March, 2015
+1 signed
aleksey 6:39 AM - 10 March, 2015
+ signed
SiRocket 7:28 AM - 10 March, 2015
signed!
Djpr1 3:09 PM - 10 March, 2015
Signed!
DJ Tecniq 3:16 PM - 10 March, 2015
Everyones turning their back on sdj :( but but...it's the future. tsk tsk...
Andrei Matei 2:25 PM - 11 March, 2015
Thank you everyone for your submissions so far. We're up to 20 responses right now.

Currently, 100% unanimous votes that the echo sounds distorted with 60% of people saying this is keeping them from switching to Serato DJ.

DJ Tecniq: No one is turning their back on SDJ. We all want to embrace the future. I, for one, am super excited to use Pitch 'n Time, Quantization, beat shift, and grids w/o the Bridge on a regular basis. However, we need basics like echo quality and overall SQ (that's a diff thread for a diff day) to at least be the same as SSL was. SQ is so important on large club systems. Do you not agree?
DJ Tecniq 5:34 PM - 11 March, 2015
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your submissions so far. We're up to 20 responses right now.

Currently, 100% unanimous votes that the echo sounds distorted with 60% of people saying this is keeping them from switching to Serato DJ.

DJ Tecniq: No one is turning their back on SDJ. We all want to embrace the future. I, for one, am super excited to use Pitch 'n Time, Quantization, beat shift, and grids w/o the Bridge on a regular basis. However, we need basics like echo quality and overall SQ (that's a diff thread for a diff day) to at least be the same as SSL was. SQ is so important on large club systems. Do you not agree?
I completely that's why I use Scratchlive.
DJ Tecniq 5:34 PM - 11 March, 2015
agree*
El Bomba 5:28 PM - 13 April, 2015
+1
pushafire 6:48 AM - 21 April, 2015
Any news when this got to be fixed?
Andrei Matei 2:12 PM - 21 April, 2015
Survey Update: With 7 days to go, we have 28 respondents so far.

- 100% said it sounds distorted
- 64% say its keeping them from switching to SDJ

I fear that without more customer involvement in this survey, our request won't be taken as a widespread issue. Can everyone do a final push in the last few days on this please?

Andrei
oli-t 5:27 PM - 21 April, 2015
+1

Thanks for the initiative Andrei.

I commented on this thread a year ago. The distortion is not subtle at all but quite pronounced. More than I can imagine anyone considering acceptable.

If the explanation of "some tape saturation by design" is true, the allegedly intentional effect is way overdone (and a questionable idea to begin with).

Respect,
Olafur
Supagee 7:19 PM - 21 April, 2015
i get distortion on echo using my DDJ-SX i noticed this the other day and now has become annoying to say the least. This should not be the case at all.
Beau_Barger 3:10 PM - 22 April, 2015
Yup happens to me as well, vers. 1.7.4 on DDJ-SZ. It seems just at first glance it seems to actually raise the volume too, and I guess some of that is going to happen, but it does actually distort as well.
Supagee 1:13 AM - 23 April, 2015
do you guys notice it not distorting much or less when you turn the effect on but bring the line channel down? i think the distortion is correlated to the line volume being up and the effect being turned on and grabbing the sound.

try this
play song / turn effect on and let it run it's course of time (long echo)

then try this

play song / turn effect on but bring the line volume of the song your using the effect on down to zero.

I notice there is more distortion on the effect when line volume is left up.
Andrei Matei 11:48 PM - 29 April, 2015
Hi Supagee,

Sure if you lower a volume on something, you'll hear it less, whether its a good sound or a bad sound. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually solve the distortion problem in any way, just makes the distortion not as loud.

One more day, guys, then I'll be submitting our poll and results to the Serato team.

Andrei
Supagee 1:33 AM - 30 April, 2015
Yes i understand that
dj zaza 7:14 AM - 30 May, 2015
Serato Hello, I wanted to know when it will be resolved the problems we have in the department Fx. Unfortunately echo out, it is often unusable because it distorts, like many other effects, even when you assign the midi on 62, and the effect this is not active It is instantaneous but always that little latency on ssl not had before. I do not know if this is due to the operating system, or is it a bug of Serato, the fact remains that today serato still has problems. I know you're working hard in all areas, but safety during an evening with sdj there, mostly ssl also begins to suffer a bit 'of the new operating systems.
acemc 4:34 PM - 31 May, 2015
Serato you guys charge us for effects, but don't care to solve a distortion problem??
What the hell is happening with this?
Over 2 years of us waiting patiently..... for naught.
F***ING RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!
Joe Fresh 4:07 AM - 2 June, 2015
Mojaxx over at DJ City recently made a video showing how to improve echo out transitions -

youtu.be

He demonstrates the Echo Out, the Combo FadeEcho, and the Echo in single effect mode for doing echo out. You can hear the difference amongst the three options. Mojaxx even mentions the distortion in the Echo Out effect, as well as its lack of a high-pass effect.

Ideally, I would love to be able to use Echo Out for my transitions, but until there is no distortion, and at least the option for cutting out some of the low end, I'll be sticking with the Sixty-Two or DJM-900's built-in echo effect.
dj zaza 9:54 AM - 2 June, 2015
Of course I've seen the video, echo of 62 do not really like it would be nice if you could set the pre or post fader on the mixer. I do not know by pressing shift + fx. I'm talking about the effects on the internal mixer
SG SOUNDS 1:49 PM - 2 June, 2015
Quote:
Mojaxx over at DJ City recently made a video showing how to improve echo out transitions -

youtu.be

He demonstrates the Echo Out, the Combo FadeEcho, and the Echo in single effect mode for doing echo out. You can hear the difference amongst the three options. Mojaxx even mentions the distortion in the Echo Out effect, as well as its lack of a high-pass effect.

Ideally, I would love to be able to use Echo Out for my transitions, but until there is no distortion, and at least the option for cutting out some of the low end, I'll be sticking with the Sixty-Two or DJM-900's built-in echo effect.

what settings do you use for the 62 echo out effect?
SG SOUNDS 2:03 PM - 2 June, 2015
Quote:

youtu.be

The settings he use in the video is probably the best i heard so far using the echo in single mode...
Simon Love Carter 11:45 AM - 4 June, 2015
Quote:

youtu.be

too bad I have a ddj-SZ taht doesn't have pore fader fxs so I have to press CUE or put my hand on the platter to stop the music and leave the echo on!!!
Beau_Barger 4:23 AM - 5 June, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

too bad I have a ddj-SZ taht doesn't have pore fader fxs so I have to press CUE or put my hand on the platter to stop the music and leave the echo on!!!

Try using the echo out technique with the sound color fx built into the mixer on the SZ. Its tricky to get proper, but if you set your brake to instant stop, then when you kick in the echo, press the pause. It will give you the effect you are looking for. The Sound Color FX are post.
I know this is a bunk work around, but it works once you sort out your timing on it.
Mr Wilks 2:33 PM - 26 July, 2015
Quote:

youtu.be

I just re-watched this and think there's a case for Serato to look into this again now.
SiRocket 2:09 AM - 19 November, 2015
Since serato isn't listening... Add your thoughts, complaints, bugs, vents, etc here -> www.fixseratodj.com
DJ Tecniq 2:43 AM - 19 November, 2015
Quote:
Since serato isn't listening... Add your thoughts, complaints, bugs, vents, etc here -> www.fixseratodj.com
Lmao. Wait is there really a problem with sticker lock? Even in 1.8?
SiRocket 3:03 AM - 19 November, 2015
It doesn't always trigger on SDJ... but works perfect in SSL (same mixer, turntables, needles, laptop... just different software open.

Ian from serato acknowledged the issue months and months back yet no fix... you have to drop the needle 2-3 times for it to register... :(

People are just getting tired of waiting for fixes when their venues are buying SDJ only mixers and we are forced to use incomplete software...

If serato wants to be microsoft and force the wrong message and software/features, then go right ahead and see how far that goes.

LOL!
AKIEM 3:24 AM - 19 November, 2015
I still think the simple solution the one I suggested from the beginning was the best. An option for, the sticker to, always be locked to the, vinyl - forget everything else…
Andrei Matei 5:15 AM - 24 December, 2015
As an update guys, I PM'd Martin C on this just now, to see if he had any updates on the topic. The latest on the poll is:

100% of the 37 respondents found the effects to sound distorted and 61% of them mentioned that its keeping them on SSL.

If you guys feel like adding your thoughts to it and haven't yet, please do!

www.surveymonkey.com

Andrei
fu 8:26 PM - 31 March, 2016
I got still the Distortion-Bug (SDJ 1.9)
pls fix...!
Andrei Matei 9:17 PM - 31 March, 2016
Yup. Doubt we'll see anything until 2.0, if we even do at that time. :(
DJ Tecniq 9:25 PM - 31 March, 2016
Quote:
As an update guys, I PM'd Martin C on this just now, to see if he had any updates on the topic. The latest on the poll is:

100% of the 37 respondents found the effects to sound distorted and 61% of them mentioned that its keeping them on SSL.

If you guys feel like adding your thoughts to it and haven't yet, please do!

www.surveymonkey.com

Andrei
Wow this was in December 2015...months go by and still no fix. Who is in charge of the firing there. Just fix what has been broke ever since the dawn of SDJ👏🏻🙄
Andrei Matei 10:06 PM - 31 March, 2016
To be fair, Martin was super-responsive in getting back to my PM that same day saying its still something they are prioritizing. He and the Serato team are good about keeping dialogs with us. I've messaged him again just now for an update.
soul63 7:36 AM - 1 April, 2016
i remember a thread on this subject where one of the serato team said it was subjective as to whether there was distortion..as i said then i have yet to see any user praise echo out..echo in serato is really poor..sure the odd time you may get a decent echo if you catch it on the right beat..pure luck really.think the effects need a revamp..pre listen before engaging effects live would be nice..plenty of plug ins out there i use with vdj..maybe serato could implement a plug in feature..i understand they would not make money from that..but maybe look at the possibility of some deal in the future
teemac111 2:31 AM - 2 April, 2016
Im reserved to the fact that basicly the iZotope echo fx is sh*t
DJ Tecniq 10:21 AM - 2 April, 2016
Quote:
Im reserved to the fact that basicly the iZotope echo fx is sh*t
It's working fine for me😊...kidding April Fools😂 Scratchlive's FX are still rock solid izotope can blow me😮
Crump 3:04 AM - 23 April, 2016
Glad I'm not the only one pissed off by this. I really just need the same echo out from SSL without the distortion.

WTF is going on??
Crump 11:04 AM - 24 April, 2016
Just see this thread for an alternate echo out

serato.com
DvjUpset 1:00 PM - 25 April, 2016
Taran! We still having no response from serato! What a surprise....
Wish we could turn back time, to the "itch" old daays (8)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 2:00 AM - 27 April, 2016
Hey guys!

We are well aware of this issue and its on our radar, I can't give any timeframe but I can confirm to solve this we need to remake the echo out as the current one is provided by Izotope and won't be getting updates, its something we are keen on but it just needs to be weighed up against all the other current issues out there but I feel you guys we know its important to you all :)

Thanks for reaching out everyone,

Jas
DJ Tecniq 6:02 AM - 27 April, 2016
Quote:
Hey guys!

We are well aware of this issue and its on our radar, I can't give any timeframe but I can confirm to solve this we need to remake the echo out as the current one is provided by Izotope and won't be getting updates, its something we are keen on but it just needs to be weighed up against all the other current issues out there but I feel you guys we know its important to you all :)

Thanks for reaching out everyone,

Jas
Let's hope I just ordered a pioneer s9 so I'm stuck with Serato DJ. However I'll be using the built in fx before I ever use Serato dj's fx. You guys "own" me now so I can only hope for the best and my investment. I only hope this is on the "top" of your radar.
Crump 11:44 AM - 27 April, 2016
What about just adding the SSL echo out back in?
Simon Love Carter 7:30 AM - 29 April, 2016
What about showing us "the other issues" out there? And let us (your beloved customers) decide what's important and what's not?
DJ LIL M 3:27 AM - 18 May, 2016
what im starting to do is just take out some bass then echo out
DJ Tecniq 4:13 AM - 18 May, 2016
Quote:
what im starting to do is just take out some bass then echo out
I bought the s9 and said the hell with it. No problem with the Pioneer fx👍🏻 They really need to fix this👌🏻
SNNRmusic 7:25 PM - 14 March, 2017
Any updates with this?
DJ Tecniq 10:51 PM - 14 March, 2017
Quote:
Any updates with this?
Nope we can only hope it will be fixed in SDJ 2.0 when they get that far. Pretty shitty you have to buy new hardware just to get a working echo-out feature. #izotopefail
Despo 12:26 AM - 15 March, 2017
oh hey it's this thread again.

1.9.6 is great so far, but please fix the echo out. Or just make a new one, creating a delay effect can't be hard
Andrei Matei 4:00 AM - 19 March, 2017
They survey I started on this has been open for 743 days. Hopefully they can fix this and the waveforms that broke after 1.7.8.
Despo 6:35 AM - 19 March, 2017
Quote:
They survey I started on this has been open for 743 days. Hopefully they can fix this and the waveforms that broke after 1.7.8.

waveforms are fine for me in 1.9.6
dj zaza 6:40 AM - 19 March, 2017
Also for me, smooth waveform on Mac, Windows 10 and surface pro 4 no problem, except, form always jerky wave. hopefully we find a solution.
DJ Tecniq 6:52 AM - 19 March, 2017
In 2020 we'll still be complaining about echo-out lol. #longlivessl
Despo 10:31 PM - 19 March, 2017
Quote:
In 2020 we'll still be complaining about echo-out lol. #longlivessl

this
Dj Drew That 1:03 AM - 20 March, 2017
I have a djm s9 and I was wondering if anyone is experiencing a slight drop out when using the trigger with serato fx? For example I activate epic reverb and there is a slighttttt drop out
DJ Tecniq 1:09 AM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
I have a djm s9 and I was wondering if anyone is experiencing a slight drop out when using the trigger with serato fx? For example I activate epic reverb and there is a slighttttt drop out
i was getting slight audio pauses with USB buffer 1 & 2 but it wasn't from fx it was just audio. But wasn't an official dropout or no CPU light indicated a dropout occurred I think it's just SDJ itself however I've been running at 5 USB buffer and not one glitch yet. I recommend higher'ing your buffer setting if it's too low. Good luck
Dj Drew That 1:27 AM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
i was getting slight audio pauses with USB buffer 1 & 2 but it wasn't from fx it was just audio. But wasn't an official dropout or no CPU light indicated a dropout occurred I think it's just SDJ itself however I've been running at 5 USB buffer and not one glitch yet. I recommend higher'ing your buffer setting if it's too low. Good luck

Will try that. Thanks. I wonder if this is a big issue, I played for about 2 hours before the tracking indicator on both decks filled red. I've never had this problem. I recently just got a MacBook Air 1.6 ghz, i5. I hooked up my old MacBook played like a ten minute set and nothing. I checked needles, head shells everything ok. Just find it weird it happened to both decks at exact same time, could it be the 1.6 ghz MacBook Air?
DJ Tecniq 1:57 AM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Will try that. Thanks. I wonder if this is a big issue, I played for about 2 hours before the tracking indicator on both decks filled red. I've never had this problem. I recently just got a MacBook Air 1.6 ghz, i5. I hooked up my old MacBook played like a ten minute set and nothing. I checked needles, head shells everything ok. Just find it weird it happened to both decks at exact same time, could it be the 1.6 ghz MacBook Air?
Have you updated firmware for the S9 you should be on 1.07 also what OS X are you running? I'm using Yosemite but I have heard similar issues with users on Sierra. Sierra didn't offer me anything more than what I currently run Yosemite is working fine.
Dj Drew That 2:03 AM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Have you updated firmware for the S9 you should be on 1.07 also what OS X are you running? I'm using Yosemite but I have heard similar issues with users on Sierra. Sierra didn't offer me anything more than what I currently run Yosemite is working fine.

Running sierra, and 1.07 on s9. Going to return it tomorrow, and get a new pro. Do they come with yesomite?
Dj Drew That 2:09 AM - 20 March, 2017
Also changed my buffer size to 5, still got a slight glitch when triggering a serato fx
DJ Tecniq 3:17 AM - 20 March, 2017
And just an FYI I do not use SDJ effects (right panel) for S9. 1. The echo out is broken so that feature is useless. 2. I strictly use the Pioneer fx which I think are just better built in fx and they don't use the SDJ software as much which I think is quite glitchy. Basically they are useless to me. SDJ fx I do not trust. My Pioneer fx (left panel) work fine. Isotope just needs to fix their shit. It's a shame DJ's have to purchase fx plugins when they are workable half the time...echo out was a problem from the very beginning I'm just so shocked most DJ's aren't pissed about this. I did a mix with my SB2 and it sounded like shit cause the echo out was off on the first mix. Why pay for something that is broken👊🏼
DJ Tecniq 3:18 AM - 20 March, 2017
Arent*
DJ Tecniq 3:20 AM - 20 March, 2017
I will personally paypal $20 to the creator of izotope to fix the echo-out...Jesus is it really that hard. If I don't see this fixed before 2.0 we're going to have a problem😬
Dj Drew That 3:21 AM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
Arent*

Its def a shame, I can't remember it being an issue before 1.9.6, I don't know. The new MacBook I'm getting tomorrow has mavericks installed. Will it support 1.9.6? It should right?
DJ Tecniq 3:27 AM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Arent*

Its def a shame, I can't remember it being an issue before 1.9.6, I don't know. The new MacBook I'm getting tomorrow has mavericks installed. Will it support 1.9.6? It should right?
your MacBook should be a MacBook Pro and at least a 2012 or above model I highly recommend the 15" mbp i7 w/8 gigs ram or more. Mavericks came way before the S9 so I think if you upgrade to Yosemite you should be fine. Yosemite came before El Capitan. Sierra is the current OS X now but I don't care much for it. Yosemite is very solid I just think this all boils down to SDJ software it is not perfect. While 1.9.6 is a huge update they still have a long way to go.
dj zaza 6:00 AM - 20 March, 2017
no problem, djm s9 Mac os sierra, MacBook Pro 15 Retina early 2013, 8 GB RAM, 256 HD. buffer 2ms, I do not understand why you have all these problems, I make my evenings even 4/5 hours without loss of audio.
Dj Drew That 10:56 AM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
no problem, djm s9 Mac os sierra, MacBook Pro 15 Retina early 2013, 8 GB RAM, 256 HD. buffer 2ms, I do not understand why you have all these problems, I make my evenings even 4/5 hours without loss of audio.

I have no idea, the tracking indicator fills red, but the CPU light doesn't even come on. The turntables, cart and needles are 4 months old so they're not dirty. And both decks happen at the exact same time. Idk if it's the 1.6 ghz might not be able to keep up with the new update ?
dj zaza 2:31 PM - 20 March, 2017
you have tried to optimize the system, which Mac you have specific, it may be that your Mac does not have the minimum requirements. Have you tried the previous version of Serato to see if you have the same problem? you tried your mixer on a Mac of a friend to see if you have the same problem? Your music is on an external HD, or internal? You have opened a ticket help with Serato? My Mac is an i7, is again no signal problem DVS.
Dj Drew That 2:49 PM - 20 March, 2017
I'm got the i5 sierra MacBook Air, ext hd for music, 1.6ghz, 8gb Ram. I already packed it back up to return and going to get mbp Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, 2.7 ghz, i5, 8gb RAM, 128 gigs. And if it does same thing I am going back to 1.9.5 until new version is fixed
Andrei Matei 7:25 PM - 20 March, 2017
Quote:
waveforms are fine for me in 1.9.6

Hey Despo, what laptop are you running, what are the specs, and what OS?

Have you tried running SDJ and SSL side by side, both at the same time, both in offline mode? If you can't tell any difference in the waveforms, I'd be shocked! Or maybe don't test that....because then you'll be pissed at SSL's smoothness and not want to go back.

I've never seen any machine on where its totally fixed. On some its "better" than others, but none match SSL's smoothness. SDJ 1.7.8 was fine. I've tested this on 10 or so different types of Mac laptops since 1.8 was released, all problematic.

Would love to know why the graphic engine / rendering was changed. Maybe it was needed to eventually get Retina support?

Anyway, sorry for deviating from topic. Wish we could get some hints on what is coming up with 2.0.
DJ LIL M 10:04 PM - 31 March, 2017
bump
J.J. 11:12 PM - 31 March, 2017
4 years later and still no update. SAD
DJ Tecniq 2:41 AM - 1 April, 2017
Quote:
Yup I just paid $100 to buy SDJ and echo out still isn't workable. Pretty depressing since it's been flawed from the beginning. Why even have the feature if it doesn't work🤔
Despo 4:10 AM - 1 April, 2017
Quote:

Serato, FAILING company and all, refuses to fix echo for 4 years! SAD!

Jokes aside, holy shit it has been 4 years of crappy, distorted sounding echo fx
v@l 2:17 PM - 30 April, 2017
The echo out sucks come on serato!
v@l 2:18 PM - 30 April, 2017
The echo out sucks come on serato seriously !!!
DJ Tecniq 4:50 AM - 1 May, 2017
lol times like this I wish I had SSL for the echo out. It worked every time😭
Despo 5:57 PM - 2 May, 2017
really stupid that this is not a high priority issue
DJ Tecniq 6:22 PM - 2 May, 2017
Quote:
really stupid that this is not a high priority issue
It really is insane think of how many new DJ's are trying to put out live mixes when they realize the echo out is gonna sound like a train wreck. What about mixshow DJ's live on the radio and having to learn the hard way...main reason I got the Pioneer S9 for the Pioneer fx. Izoptope fx don't impress me and to think users have to pay for fx packs. Total nonsense🙄
AKIEM 7:11 PM - 2 May, 2017
😒
DJ Tecniq 8:01 PM - 2 May, 2017
I bet echo out will finally be fixed in 2.0 lol we can only hope🙏🏼 Seriously though shit hasn't worked since echo-out feature was "first" introduced. Did they not test echo out in office. Highly unlikely👎🏼
acemc 5:17 PM - 14 May, 2017
Quote:
However, if it were unanimously agreed that this does not sound good, then removing or lowering the amount of saturation is something we can look into at some stage.

Hehe - What the hell is your interpretation of unanimous??
Isn't 4 years of us constantly begging & over 100 posts enough for you?
DJ Tecniq 3:51 AM - 15 May, 2017
Quote:
Hehe - What the hell is your interpretation of unanimous??
Isn't 4 years of us constantly begging & over 100 posts enough for you?
...burn😬
oli-t 1:09 AM - 16 May, 2017
I can't imagine that distortion-free echo is the most complicated effect to produce. With the utmost respect and appreciation for the good work you are doing on other fronts: Please fix this issue already.
Despo 12:32 PM - 17 May, 2017
Quote:
I can't imagine that distortion-free echo is the most complicated effect to produce. With the utmost respect and appreciation for the good work you are doing on other fronts: Please fix this issue already.

it actually takes more effort to purposely add distortion to it and make it sound shit. But they went ahead and did it anyway
Andrei Matei 11:30 PM - 6 July, 2017
As per this thread, serato.com, Serato team confirmed echo out will not be fixed in next release and its not a perceived issue by them. Saturation was a feature they intended. Just giving you guys an update.

*sigh*
Despo 5:29 AM - 7 July, 2017
ffs, why? How many years till the fix..
acemc 9:23 AM - 7 July, 2017
Quote:
Saturation was a feature they intended

Lol, they intended for it to sound like crap?
DJ Tecniq 10:22 AM - 7 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Saturation was a feature they intended

Lol, they intended for it to sound like crap?
i blame izotope👎🏽
Andrei Matei 5:49 PM - 7 July, 2017
Yup. I partially blame Serato for choosing izotope without fully paying attention to this issue. At this point it may be a licensing thing, a contract deal, or simply a matter of completely replacing the entire effects engine to resolve if Izotope isn't willing to provide an update.

Working as a Product Manager for a tech company, I can sympathize with how annoying I / we probably have been to the Serato team about this issue. But it still is a big one for me, since I use echo out so heavily (probably more than I should) when mixing hip hop, funk, reggae, etc.
oli-t 12:26 AM - 8 September, 2017
Interesting workaround!

youtu.be

Cheers,
ÓT
DJ LIL M 1:34 AM - 8 September, 2017
i see this thread is back up.... dont get me started again on this topic lol
DJ LIL M 1:35 AM - 8 September, 2017
i see this thread is back up.... dont get me started again on this topic lol
Despo 12:09 PM - 8 September, 2017
Quote:
Interesting workaround!

youtu.be

Cheers,
ÓT

I find the echo is still distorted
v@l 4:52 PM - 18 October, 2017
Come on guys need this one sorted...
DJ Tecniq 5:14 PM - 18 October, 2017
We'll be complaining about it next year too. Maybe if I'm good Santa will fix echo out for xmas😂
Andrei Matei 5:46 PM - 18 October, 2017
If it doesn’t get fixed in 2.0, which most likely drops in Dec or January, then there isn’t much hope.
acemc 11:22 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
then there isn’t much hope.

I lost hope a long time ago!!
Andrei Matei 3:54 AM - 4 November, 2017
I've spent a LOT of time with the SDJ echo recently. Previously, I paid no attention to it because I disliked how it sounded so much. One thing I'll say...the timing of it, as well as its tail, are both much better than SSL. I've tried to customize my SSL Echo Outs a lot, and while they sound very clean, they have a bit of a delay and sometimes operate oddly.

So yes, if Serato can fix the distortion on the echo, it'll be REALLY nice. Until then, if you don't have a mixer with hardware effects, you have to kill bass before echoing out. It masks a bit of the distortion. But its still unacceptable compared to RekordBox DJ, Traktor, etc.
Mr Wilks 1:43 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
I've spent a LOT of time with the SDJ echo recently. Previously, I paid no attention to it because I disliked how it sounded so much. One thing I'll say...the timing of it, as well as its tail, are both much better than SSL. I've tried to customize my SSL Echo Outs a lot, and while they sound very clean, they have a bit of a delay and sometimes operate oddly.

So yes, if Serato can fix the distortion on the echo, it'll be REALLY nice. Until then, if you don't have a mixer with hardware effects, you have to kill bass before echoing out. It masks a bit of the distortion. But its still unacceptable compared to RekordBox DJ, Traktor, etc.

I think in SDJ the timing of the effect is taken from the beatgrid so it will be locked pretty tight to the track. It's a great feature.
Andrei Matei 4:10 PM - 5 November, 2017
Quote:
I think in SDJ the timing of the effect is taken from the beatgrid so it will be locked pretty tight to the track. It's a great feature.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Didn't think of that!
v@l 1:33 PM - 8 November, 2017
If you don't want to fix the echo distortion then can you make the delay post button like the echo, delay sounds much better & its post fader like the echo effect its just missing the ability to keep effecting the last phrase once switched off like the echo effect i feel a lot of people would be happy with this..
salvo72 2:20 PM - 17 July, 2018
Ho anch'io il solito problema con sdj pro ma qualcuno a risolto?
Bornd Fono 8:09 AM - 2 August, 2018
Quote:
I will personally paypal $20 to the creator of izotope to fix the echo-out...Jesus is it really that hard. If I don't see this fixed before 2.0 we're going to have a problem😬

Same here.
salvo72 9:54 AM - 2 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
<div><strong><font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Citazione:</font></font></strong>
<font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">
Pagherò personalmente $ 20 al creatore di izotope per sistemare l'eco ... Gesù è davvero così difficile. </font><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Se non lo vedo corretto prima del 2.0 avremo un problema😬</font></font>

<font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">
Anch'io.
20€ li metto io .... perché non è possibile che non riescono a capire il problema...maa </font></font>
oli-t 4:07 AM - 24 February, 2019
6th anniversary of this thread coming up! - Curious to know if this issue was fixed in 2.x? (I haven't updated from 1.9 yet.)
Despo 4:43 AM - 24 February, 2019
there's now "clean echo out" which is not clean lmao
Bornd Fono 6:13 AM - 24 February, 2019
Quote:

Hahahaha - on point :D
DJ Tecniq 7:15 AM - 24 February, 2019
Quote:
Shots fired🔥...but honestly it’s still fucking horrible. Serato blames izotope, izotope blames Serato🤷🏼‍♂️
Andrei Matei 2:26 PM - 6 May, 2019
I gave up and just lug my Rane 62 + decks with me everywhere I go. I refuse to play on anything else and I sold my controllers. The HW echo is SUPER good. I gave up on the software echos. They won’t ever be fixed.
AlexC. 3:25 PM - 16 January, 2020
Can anyone confirm if this is still an issue?

Looking at getting back into DJing/Serato after a few years out. Have a mixer with a built in post-fader echo which I love (Denon X600), but sold my SL box years ago.

Will either buy a used SL3 to use with my old mixer, but would much prefer to modernize with a Numark Scratch or something of that ilk. Can't afford a new Rane or Pioneer with built in effects and echo out is crucial to me.

Would be shocked if these issues (mainly distortion and the echo's sync with track BPM) still exist in 2020.
Bornd Fono 4:37 PM - 16 January, 2020
Yes, it is still an issue.

Even with the "Clean Echo Out" effect.
In 2020.
After years and years people requesting a fix.
AlexC. 10:44 PM - 16 January, 2020
Quote:

In 2020.

Damn. Thanks for the heads up.
DJ Tecniq 6:03 AM - 17 January, 2020
Quote:

In 2020.
Facts. Sad truth
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:44 PM - 17 January, 2020
Quote:
Will either buy a used SL3 to use with my old mixer,

SL3 is now a legacy device. Rane has not updated its drivers.

That Numark Scratch looks good
Andrei Matei 8:31 PM - 24 February, 2020
Yeah. Make sure you pick a mixer with hardware FX like 62/72/S9, etc. Don't bother with Serato FX. I think we all gave up on them being fixed. I reported it over and over since 2013.
Andrei Matei 8:31 PM - 24 February, 2020
Yeah. Make sure you pick a mixer with hardware FX like 62/72/S9, etc. Don't bother with Serato FX. I think we all gave up on them being fixed. I reported it over and over since 2013.
Bornd Fono 2:39 AM - 19 March, 2020
Quote:
Don't bother with Serato FX. I think we all gave up on them being fixed. I reported it over and over since 2013.

Sad, but true.