Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

1.9.7. Beta, What could be the next big thing for Serato DJ???

EAZYATM 5:13 AM - 3 June, 2017
What do you guys think will be in the next beta release?
mixgoonie 10:18 AM - 3 June, 2017
Able to use external soundcard...

Better bpm algorithm

Day mode

Philmixit 11:12 AM - 3 June, 2017
I think it's 2.0 when serato !!!!
EAZYATM 1:28 AM - 6 June, 2017
Quote:
I think it's 2.0 when serato !!!!

you might be right they have been known to jump in the past!!!
Big Pops 8:28 PM - 6 June, 2017
Lets hope is 2.0 and a big game changer.
Chino 9:05 PM - 6 June, 2017
1. I'm hoping for a continued focus on overall stability.

2. I would also like Daymode to finally be implemented.

3. The Serato Sampler needs to include more robus editing functions(truncate, chop, copy, paste, delete, undo etc.) Serato's Sampler could also benefit from the ability to direct record live into each pad.

Maybe Serato can include these new Sampler functions as a paid expansion pack update?
DJ Frank Stallone 1:22 AM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
The Serato Sampler needs to include more robus editing functions(truncate, chop, copy, paste, delete, undo etc.) Serato's Sampler could also benefit from the ability to direct record live into each pad.

Would also like to see:
More sample Banks, Ability to simple sync in any play mode and the ability to remember that setting

Reset FX and Slip on loading a new track

Better sound quality when recording
Despo 1:57 AM - 7 June, 2017
wow nobody mentioned the most important number 1 thing. Fix echo out distortion already what the heck
Big Pops 2:56 AM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:

3. The Serato Sampler needs to include more robus editing functions(truncate, chop, copy, paste, delete, undo etc.) Serato's Sampler could also benefit from the ability to direct record live into each pad.

Maybe Serato can include these new Sampler functions as a paid expansion pack update?

Point 3 i totally agree, the sampler needs more editing features also Serato Video need some love also,
Chino 6:09 PM - 7 June, 2017
Quote:
Fix echo out distortion already what the heck

I have given up hope that this will ever be fixed.

IMHO, Serato's PRIORITY #1 should always be overall software reliability & stability!! Everything else is secondary.
EAZYATM 9:55 PM - 7 June, 2017
these are all great answers im just patiently waiting for the beta to drop very soon...
H2H 11:00 AM - 8 June, 2017
Folder Crate !
Possibility to sync crate with a root folder on filesystem is my greatest wish.

And obviously, stability improvments like everyone !
Mr. Goodkat 8:04 PM - 8 June, 2017
most likely something you don't want or need
Will08272 10:34 PM - 8 June, 2017
Sub smart crates.
938MyDJ 10:39 PM - 8 June, 2017
I haven't used the Serato Remote lately... and I've heard that something new about it is coming soon so that's a plus.
alec.tron 12:09 AM - 9 June, 2017
There's only 1 thing on my list... all others (apart from stability) are secondary imo...

Library & management/workflow updates! (to allow multi value metadata as per mp3/flac/aac file spec; to mass-export playlists/crates etc, and finally add user/custom metadata field support such as POPM/rating, Mood, Energy, Instrumental etc pp)
So yea...
Library & management/workflow updates!

c.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:02 AM - 9 June, 2017
Need them to create a new column in the library to differentiate video and audio file. Any time I lock a file after editing a grid the Padlock over rides the video icon.
There is no other way to know if the file is a video or audio till after playing it.
Clubber1970 7:47 AM - 9 June, 2017
Apart from stability improvements and bug fixes i wish a HID support for the Pioneer XDJ-700 and XDJ-1000MKII
DJ Fluke 613 11:28 AM - 9 June, 2017
I would like a collum in the library to tell is if a song had cue points. As sometimes I find duplicates as there are multiple DJs merging libraries and if we know a song has a cue point, we can delete non cue point ones as it means it had been used (good version, quality etc) and therefore we don't need to load it to find out.
NorthernRhythmSection 9:06 AM - 10 June, 2017
Seriously i would love to be able to organise my crates by name or date etc unless there is a way to do that now in software ? seem's such a simple thing yet i have yet to find a way to be able to do it
&Midge 10:38 AM - 10 June, 2017
Quote:

That would work for me. I will really love to see a column that displays what crates a track is in. It would help me organize me music and crate better and faster.
DJ Tecniq 10:07 PM - 10 June, 2017
Yo have a working echo out fx🤔 That's it😂
DJ Tecniq 10:08 PM - 10 June, 2017
To*
djemang 11:58 AM - 11 June, 2017
I would like to Be able to color code Crates and Sub crates
Dj Owe 1:19 PM - 11 June, 2017
Open up Midi options.

What do I mean?
Download mix emergency and mimic the way they allow Midi functionality when it comes to mapping..

Sampler.
samplers need not be cut off when triggering and switching between banks.

Roll out effect.
Echo out effect fixed.
Dj Owe 1:21 PM - 11 June, 2017
Also.

Serato dj 1.6 analyser is broken. It fucks the sound quality of tracks.

The best one that worked was in a beta a couple releases before the final version.

I have to analyse everything in scratch live to get the perfect sound for my files.
alec.tron 10:21 PM - 11 June, 2017
Quote:

Could you describe this some more please ?

Why I'm asking, I had SDJ 1.9.6 analyze process damage mp3 as well as flac files so they became unplayable ( serato.com ), on top of the multi-value bug for flac files which I flagged a few months ago ( serato.com - but which unfortunately Serato does not care about due to few peoiple complaining about it, despite the fact that Serato's way to read/write metadata goes against mp3 as well as flac file/metadata conventions... )...
So, since SDJ support was not able to reproduce it, and me neither when analyzing batches of 1000s (opposed to batches of 10000s of files when the bug happened) I'm curious what exactly you experienced in terms to SDJ analyze altering files...

Cheers.
c.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 2:25 AM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
Also.

The best one that worked was in a beta a couple releases before the final version.

I have to analyse everything in scratch live to get the perfect sound for my files.

Hey,

The analysis doesn't adjust any audio properties of the file. It only reads the file to gather info and display its waveform.

Have you ever contacted support in regards to your problems with the analysis function?

Cheers.
alec.tron 2:34 AM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
The analysis doesn't adjust any audio properties of the file.

That is only partially true.
This should read
Quote:
The analysis shouldn't adjust any audio properties of the file.

Whereas I have passed on 2 cases, and both threads describing them in detail are linked above, where SDJ does damage/alter the header/metadata of flac files under certain conditions (which, to re-iterate again are in line with the file specifications....) on analyze, as well as damage the audio stream itself on mp3 as well as flac files very occasionally (which unfortunately is not easy to reproduce but the damaged files I have sent Serato do show the result & damage without doubt).

c.
DJ Tecniq 2:50 AM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
The analysis doesn't adjust any audio properties of the file. It only reads the file to gather info
So are you saying it doesn't set a gain level even if autogain is enabled🤔
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:21 AM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:

Not in the analysis process, no.
DJ Tecniq 3:55 AM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Not in the analysis process, no.
Interesting I was aware the autogain sets when you re-analyze the files when autogain checked...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:00 AM - 12 June, 2017
Not sure what you mean sorry? The original gain level is obtained when the track is analyzed, but autogain is set when the option is checked in the setup screen.
Chino 2:22 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
Sampler.
samplers need not be cut off when triggering and switching between banks.

+1
The Funk Society 7:47 PM - 12 June, 2017
I'd like to see a couple of things...

Additional controller mapping functions e.g. being able to have a shift modifier.
Quantize on / off at boot flag in settings.
Complement track feature which shows tracks that work well with what is being currently played based on being flagged by the user previously.
Be able to use track markers rather that Hot Cues for flagging Intro / Outro / Drop etc.

I'm pretty happy with where Serato is at right now :-)
The Funk Society 7:51 PM - 12 June, 2017
One last thing... Better beat detection for old skool tracks when detecting beat grids...
Dj Ricky Redz 9:13 PM - 12 June, 2017
This is what's really NEEDED!!!

Quote:

3. Echo Out distortion fixed

4. The Serato Sampler needs to include **NO CUT OFF WHEN SWITCHING BANKS**
more robus editing functions(truncate, chop, copy, paste, delete, undo etc.) Serato's Sampler could also benefit from the ability to direct record live into each pad.
938MyDJ 10:28 PM - 12 June, 2017
Another good improvement would be... RE-MAPPING feature for OSA.
EAZYATM 2:47 PM - 13 June, 2017
its good to see i sparked a nice #positive conversation...
The Lazy One 6:12 PM - 14 June, 2017
I would love a Serato Sequencer, like Traktor and Rekordbox already has, and a sync mode for it to add extra flavour to a set.

Also will be great to have a feature to stream audio/video or just a simple way to record video your own video set with your Serato session
chris91 7:40 PM - 14 June, 2017
I would appreciate an instant play/fast forward of a track , as it is in Rekordbox 4.3.1 (standalone mode , I don't know if it works also with controler attached) or in Traktor v2. It is way faster to prelisten /find a track as there is no need to load it to a deck or wait for analysis.
Thanks
DJ Trice 12:21 PM - 16 June, 2017
Quote:
Sub smart crates.

Already exist since 1.9.5 or .6.

That's not exactly what we ask for but you can now create a normal CRATE and put your SMART CRATES in that normal crate.
DJMIYAGI 11:45 PM - 16 June, 2017
I'm waiting for OSA midi remapping. My SP1 is collecting dust
Sabine N. 9:52 AM - 17 June, 2017
Hi

If you change the bpm of a track, it is not updated instantly in the wave display after confirming. It is painful

cordially
Sabine
938MyDJ 11:02 PM - 17 June, 2017
The moving waveform stretch/shrink while in Sync and on INTERNAL mode should be fixed too (for supported mixers and SL Boxes).

This should be exactly the same when using controllers.
benictrs 1:16 AM - 18 June, 2017
Sound quality improvement PLS
Javier drada 1:08 PM - 18 June, 2017
HID support for the Pioneer XDJ-1000MKII!!!
Dj cuervo 3:45 PM - 18 June, 2017
The ability to use mixers with internal soundcards like the traktor z2. It can be a new plugin. I will paid 100 to 300 for that license. It can be a similar price to the sl2 or denon sl1.
Telony Ex 4:27 PM - 18 June, 2017
Sdj full mode without having to attach hardware. Especially for user with license.

Tip for serato developers. Give us opportunity to add licence to ilok so we can have the license on a small usb stick.
Telony Ex 4:29 PM - 18 June, 2017
Quote:
Hi

If you change the bpm of a track, it is not updated instantly in the wave display after confirming. It is painful

cordially
Sabine

Thought i was the only one. I just reliad track for now.
Dj Owe 3:24 PM - 19 June, 2017
With auto gain enabled and analysing especially Minos styled music.
SDJ Does a terrible job. Making that specific style music with big bass lines redline and distorted.
But for some reason when you analyse in Scratch live it does it how it's supposed to be.

SDJ has actually been like this for some time.

It got fixed in one of the beta versions but on final version that sound problem got put right back.
Dj Owe 3:24 PM - 19 June, 2017
Sorry Migos
EAZYATM 5:46 PM - 19 June, 2017
I have been praying and asking for this one for a very long time hopefully we soon get it ( Off Line Player Midi Control ) it would be a beautiful thing to just sit down prep your crates, set, cues, loops & music in the off line player along with my SP1 plugged in it would a seemless! 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾
SirForce 6:19 PM - 19 June, 2017
Quote:

+1 to OSA midi remapping. Please and thanks.
akakak 9:13 PM - 19 June, 2017
Accessibility for blind users.
DJ JulioYEG 10:20 PM - 19 June, 2017
Quote:
The ability to use mixers with internal soundcards like the traktor z2. It can be a new plugin. I will paid 100 to 300 for that license. It can be a similar price to the sl2 or deny sl1.

did u realy just ask for them to implement a plug in for a competitions product lmao what
popnwave 11:00 PM - 19 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
The ability to use mixers with internal soundcards like the traktor z2. It can be a new plugin. I will paid 100 to 300 for that license. It can be a similar price to the sl2 or deny sl1.

did u realy just ask for them to implement a plug in for a competitions product lmao what

On top of that people would them complain about mapping.. so yeah what is a fair price? $199? $299? And the other thing is that NI might not even like that/allow it.

We aren't talking about Deejay or VDJ.... Pioneer/Serato/Native Instruments are more like to keep each other in their respective lanes when it comes to development or risk fallout.
EAZYATM 5:32 PM - 20 June, 2017
Quote:

What does (OSA) mean ???
SirForce 5:34 PM - 20 June, 2017
Official Serato Accessory
Easin-E 9:20 PM - 20 June, 2017
FX improvements like flanger not sounding like a robot. Stability improvements.
Mike Butler 7:05 AM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
And the other thing is that NI might not even like that/allow it..

Out of interest, why wouldn't NI allow a Z2 to work with Serato? They get to sell a Z2 and they give away the Traktor licence with the purchase so they don't lose out on a licence sale

Mike
The Funk Society 11:01 AM - 21 June, 2017
The time between the last beta and this has been longer than normal. I know they've launched a new product but I'm hopeful of some big surprises in the next few weeks :-)
popnwave 4:16 PM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
The time between the last beta and this has been longer than normal. I know they've launched a new product but I'm hopeful of some big surprises in the next few weeks :-)

I am sure the closed beta is running and there's usually a few of the hardcore users here on the forum invited but asked to keep quiet until it hits public beta.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:36 PM - 21 June, 2017
Autogain fix for non controller users
Dj cuervo 8:27 PM - 21 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

On top of that people would them complain about mapping.. so yeah what is a fair price? $199? $299? And the other thing is that NI might not even like that/allow it.

We aren't talking about Deejay or VDJ.... Pioneer/Serato/Native Instruments are more like to keep each other in their respective lanes when it comes to development or risk fallout.

It is more about the ability to use other mixers with their internal sound cards with a DSV plugin.

They can set a sound card spec requirement for the Serato DJ to work.

This will open up a new revenue stream for Serato.

Traktor z2 was just an example but it would be nice since I just purchase one.

I understand this could be a support nightmare.
mixgoonie 1:13 PM - 23 June, 2017
Quote:
Sound quality improvement PLS

Yes, i agree....

The artist doesn't spend time mastering a track to slaughtered by Serato sound.

A DJ software should not sound worse than any MP3 player no matter the quality of the soundcard...
DJ STRETCH - NYC 11:52 PM - 23 June, 2017
1. Sampler in offline mode
2. day time mode
3. spotify enabled
4. all cue point 1-8 in offline mode
5. mp3 editing (increase the volume from x-y, delete dead air,...)
6. Smart crates to function like itunes smart playlist
7. offline mode function like itunes (organize all my files as per x,y,z settings on drive__)
8. Backup button ask for a target and can backup the whole library to external drive if all is internal, only backup what has been changed since last backup.
9. A FULL MEDIA MANAGER
Dj Delta-Vita 9:39 AM - 24 June, 2017
Better DVS sync algorithm
DJ Eazy B 1:36 PM - 24 June, 2017
Support for DJM 450
Big Pops 1:51 PM - 24 June, 2017
Quote:
1. Sampler in offline mode
2. day time mode
3. spotify enabled
4. all cue point 1-8 in offline mode
5. mp3 editing (increase the volume from x-y, delete dead air,...)
6. Smart crates to function like itunes smart playlist
7. offline mode function like itunes (organize all my files as per x,y,z settings on drive__)
8. Backup button ask for a target and can backup the whole library to external drive if all is internal, only backup what has been changed since last backup.
9. A FULL MEDIA MANAGER

i agree with you especially the ability to edit samples in off line mode and also better editing features of the sampler.
Also an update and stability of Serato Video, how about adding Serato Video to SDJ instead of a Plug in and work on better CPU and RAM management. Why is it that SDJ uses the most CPU especially with Serato Video.
acemc 1:55 PM - 24 June, 2017
1) Mapping of shift button / modifiers
2) Secondary display option for library / waveforms
3) OSA remapping
4) Daymode
5) Copy running loops to sampler
6) DVS control of selectable sample banks
Telony Ex 4:28 PM - 25 June, 2017
Quote:
1)
5) Copy running loops to sampler

This is already posibke. Just ensure intant double is on. Then drag song from playing deck while it is in loop and drag it to sampler.
acemc 8:38 PM - 25 June, 2017
Quote:
This is already posibke. Just ensure intant double is on. Then drag song from playing deck while it is in loop and drag it to sampler.

Holy shit!!!
I can't believe it is possible (I never use instant doubles) & I didn't even know it.
Thanks for the info!!
edgar caceres 11:52 PM - 25 June, 2017
i hope serato support vts plugins , in the new features
Andrei Matei 5:00 AM - 26 June, 2017
1.) Fix Echo Out & Combo Fade Echo distortion
2.) Make waveforms as smooth as in 1.7.8 or SSL
3.) Improve sound quality to match warmth & richness SSL
4.) Fix erratic Autogain and match settings with SSL so levels don't differ between programs
5.) Retina-enabled UI
6.) Day mode
7.) Improved stability
8.) Streamline codebase and make more modular so application is more lightweight like SSL.

That would be my dream list for 2.0 and what would make me be able to leave SSL behind.
Andrei Matei 5:05 AM - 26 June, 2017
Two more I forgot:

9.) Allow smart crates to be portable (aka on an external HD) to move from computer to computer like you can with regular crates

10.) Allow smart crates to have a defineable folder sources. For example, I would like to apply smart crate rules just for a certain crate or set of crates and not have it search and apply for the entire "all" library.
mixgoonie 9:28 AM - 26 June, 2017
It is cool to see these great suggestions, the sad part is that i really would like to see them but i'll be probably stop djing before even some of them are implemented...

But since i love the waveforms view in extended (only software which does do that) i am stuck with SDJ.
SirForce 9:40 AM - 26 June, 2017
It's been almost four months since 1.9.6 was released. Based on the history of releases this is one of the longer release cycles.

Things are?

1. Slow?
2. Working on more challenging item (s) which take longer
3. New hardware?
4. V2.0 and new product model to increase revenue

I saw some interesting ideas on this thread. Some need a lot more elaboration.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:17 PM - 26 June, 2017
+1 on the Spotify integration. I know there is pulse locker but....
DJ JulioYEG 5:38 AM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:
+1 on the Spotify integration. I know there is pulse locker but....

+1 only thing is I always have wifi off when I'm djin for stability but I wouldnt mind seein spotify built in
Clubber1970 8:55 AM - 27 June, 2017
I am wondering about the long time for a new version been released, too.
Maybe they work on something bigger ?
Dj Ricky Redz 3:19 PM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:

1.) Fix Echo Out & Combo Fade Echo distortion
2.) Make waveforms as smooth as in 1.7.8 or SSL
3.) Improve sound quality to match warmth & richness SSL
4.) Samples do not cut off when switching banks & offline sampler availability
5.) Retina-enabled UI
6.) Day mode
7.) Improved stability
8.) Streamline codebase and make more modular so application is more lightweight like SSL.
9.) Full media/file management (or at least folder sync)
10.) Embedded Mixtape feature (or as an add-on)

I think adding these would crush all competition!!!
R-A-C 6:35 PM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:
Improve sound quality to match warmth & richness SSL

are you using SDJ with the same hardware as SSL?
Andrei Matei 6:39 PM - 27 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Improve sound quality to match warmth & richness SSL

are you using SDJ with the same hardware as SSL?

Yes. Comparing SSL vs. SDJ with SL3, SL4, Rane 62 and 64.
R-A-C 6:46 PM - 27 June, 2017
okay that's interesting and also not good of course.
i read some older posts about SDJ's sound quality not being on par with SSL but i'd have guessed that this has been fixed since then. seems not, thanks for telling!
mixgoonie 9:36 PM - 27 June, 2017
Endrei Matei, could you test SDJ intro with one of your soundcards and see it is sound exactly the same as SSL ?

I am asking this since i've compared SDJ 196 to SDJ Intro and the sound is warmer, more glued, better bass in Intro and the interface is exactly the same as SSL.

If intro sounds indeed like SSL, my wish is to have an option SSL Sound in SDJ and as you can gueuss to have the same sound like in SSL.
denzil651 2:10 AM - 30 June, 2017
1. Retina Support (serato looks ugly on newer macs)
2. Folder syncing (add a folder to be synced whenever serato starts up, like how itunes does)
3. Quick Search (Triple click name of artiste, album, comment etc. to have it automatically inserted in the search box and all exact matches displayed)
4. Smart Sub Crates (Smart crate under smart crate)
5. Improved BPM detection (I can testify Traktor is more accurate in getting the right BPMs)
6. Column/Icon to show if a track has cue points (helps where there are duplicate tracks, making me know which one to play without loading and checking)
7. Column/Icon to support the Explicit/Clean tags on itunes m4a files.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:39 AM - 30 June, 2017
column icon separately to identify locked tracks. currently when you lock a track it overrides the video/audio icon so makes it difficult to know if the track is a video or audio.

My crates have bothered video and audio files
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:39 AM - 30 June, 2017
"both
djlowood 3:43 PM - 3 July, 2017
Collapsible tracks. It means, if I got several versions of a song, I would link everyone of these to the original version (that becomes the root) and then choose the one I want to load at the moment.
Andrei Matei 3:47 PM - 3 July, 2017
Quote:
Collapsible tracks. It means, if I got several versions of a song, I would link everyone of these to the original version (that becomes the root) and then choose the one I want to load at the moment.

Wow, that is interesting and a cool idea.
SirForce 4:11 PM - 3 July, 2017
Quote:

I like this concept a lot, this might get complicated to implement though. Perhaps a simple way would be to allow groupings of tracks manually but that is probably too much work for the DJ/User.

Automatically... perhaps it could attempt to do this but that might require the ability to break apart incorrect matches and remember to not do that again.
Coherence 4:15 PM - 3 July, 2017
Quote:

That is a really cool idea. As SirForce said, if it was done based on track name or something like that, you'd need the ability to break the association for bad matches, but would really be a nice feature to have.
djlowood 4:27 PM - 3 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I like this concept a lot, this might get complicated to implement though. Perhaps a simple way would be to allow groupings of tracks manually but that is probably too much work for the DJ/User.

Automatically... perhaps it could attempt to do this but that might require the ability to break apart incorrect matches and remember to not do that again.

I think it should be a manual feature. Maybe more annoying but it could give us the possibility to "link" even mashups, a cappellas, instrumentals... drag and drop is the right way :D
alec.tron 2:50 AM - 4 July, 2017
Btw.... having tracks 'group' or sort rather, could be easily do-able...
I maintain/populate a metadata field called 'instrumental', which I mostly use for Dancehall riddims & hiphop/grime, to ID/find/sort by instrumental used on a track, but can be easily used for remixes/mashups/covers etc as well).
And this can be easily exposed in any half way decent media software nowadays... the only part of the puzzle that doesn't play nicely here is SSL/SDJ as one can not show custom metadata (id3/vorbis/etc) fields, which in 2017 is a freaking joke imo... and all Serato support has to say is 'oh yea, we do need a library rewrite...! which might come with SDJ 2 in a few years time'.
*annoyed.
c.
The Funk Society 12:08 PM - 4 July, 2017
Having Serato keep hold of the crash reports... to send at a later date.

I've had it crash on my 2 last gigs now. I don't normally have wifi enables so sending the crash report whilst I'm trying to regain some composure is far from ideal...
Will08272 7:52 PM - 4 July, 2017
Proper fullscreen for MacOS, currently the app sits atop the desktop, somewhat annoying having to create another desktop to go back to the desktop.
Philmixit 9:58 PM - 4 July, 2017
I think that this Saturday is going to make four months since Serato dj 1.9.6 was release , I think serato is doing something very big, so let's wait and see.🎶🎧🎶
DJ Tecniq 10:20 PM - 4 July, 2017
Quote:
I think that this Saturday is going to make four months since Serato dj 1.9.6 was release , I think serato is doing something very big, so let's wait and see.🎶🎧🎶
Prob fixing echo out👌🏼
Serato, Support
Kane D 11:00 PM - 4 July, 2017
Quote:
Having Serato keep hold of the crash reports... to send at a later date.

I've had it crash on my 2 last gigs now. I don't normally have wifi enables so sending the crash report whilst I'm trying to regain some composure is far from ideal...

It does this already, they're saved as a .dmp file in the _Serato_ folder under Reports.
They should be sent to us the next time SDJ is connected to the internet.

Quote:
Proper fullscreen for MacOS, currently the app sits atop the desktop, somewhat annoying having to create another desktop to go back to the desktop.

You shouldn't have to do this at all, what version of OS are you running? its behaving fine for me on both 10.12.5 & 10.11.6.

Quote:

We only do big tings.

Quote:
Prob fixing echo out👌🏼

An echo out with a saturation-less tail won't be making it into the next update to Serato DJ sorry Tecniq.
DJ Tecniq 11:11 PM - 4 July, 2017
Quote:
An echo out with a saturation-less tail won't be making it into the next update to Serato DJ sorry Tecniq.
Figures...Serato video update would be nice tired of the screen freezes.
alec.tron 11:14 PM - 4 July, 2017
Quote:
....won't be making it into the next update to Serato DJ

How about:

- fixing the bug that destroys multi-value metadata on flac files on analyze ? (which are written as per the official file spec from the format developers...) (serato.com), or generally being able to handle multi value metadata ?

- or allowing us to export crates to playlist files ? (serato.com )

- or to be able to access custom meta-data fields so we can see our ratings/energy/instrumental/mood/etc tags...? (serato.com)

Cheers.
c.
Philmixit 12:15 AM - 5 July, 2017
Kande D, An echo out with a saturation-less tail won't be making it into the next update to Serato DJ sorry Tecniq.

What will? (:
Serato, Support
Kane D 12:20 AM - 5 July, 2017
Quote:
What will? (:

Gonna have to wait and see
Chino 12:38 AM - 5 July, 2017
Quote:
I think that this Saturday is going to make four months since Serato DJ 1.9.6 was released- I think Serato is doing something VERY BIG, so let's wait and see.🎶🎧🎶

We only do big tings.

@Kane D… That is the BEST REPLY by far!!! LOL… RESPECT!!!
Philmixit 12:47 AM - 5 July, 2017
I know , i was just teasing 🎶
The Funk Society 11:12 AM - 5 July, 2017
Thanks Kane D. for the reply... Are those reports deleted once sent?
SirForce 3:38 PM - 5 July, 2017
Quote:
it could give us the possibility to "link" even mashups, a cappellas, instrumentals... drag and drop is the right way :D

I like that idea too!!
Mr. Goodkat 6:44 PM - 5 July, 2017
Quote:
We only do big tings.

little tings matter too
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:40 AM - 6 July, 2017
High Definition display support will be nice.
Johnny H 12:46 PM - 6 July, 2017
serato 1.9.6 final was released just before christmas last year, I was doing all the christmas parties and remember the last week before christmas I tried out 1.9.6

this is 7 months ago since the last release of serato!

Lets hope this extended wait is well worth it ?
deejdave 9:22 PM - 6 July, 2017
Sdj 1.9.6 was released March 8th 2017 (4 months ago) 1.9.5 was released Dec 13th 2016. Let's save the speculation for what may/may not be in future release/s ;)
acemc 9:25 PM - 6 July, 2017
Quote:
Let's save the speculation for what may/may not be in future release/s

Why? It's fun, and then at least we get to see the most common wanted features.
Dj cuervo 10:10 PM - 6 July, 2017
Pioneer just release a interface box for rekordbox!!!

djworx.com

Serato DJ 2.0 needs to have game changing features!!!

Pioneer is coming for market share.
deejdave 11:22 PM - 6 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Let's save the speculation for what may/may not be in future release/s

Why? It's fun, and then at least we get to see the most common wanted features.

Which is why we are saving the speculation FOR it. Making it sound like I said let's stop the speculation. Just saying no need to put incorrect dates for previous releases. They are all listed out for us in release notes in release archive.
deejdave 11:24 PM - 6 July, 2017
Quote:

djworx.com

Pioneer release of an interface similar to the SL box is not really a landmark to catch up on. This more or less is Pioneer playing catch up :)
Philmixit 12:07 AM - 7 July, 2017
Serato dj is always going to be a game changer always, Serato dj function for me is the best.
And yes Pioneer it is playing catch up 🎶🎧🎶
EAZYATM 11:30 AM - 7 July, 2017
Quote:

djworx.com

Me personally i think they should make a new sl2 interface with the highest quality parts out now for 2017 and most important and innovative USB-C native they would kill they game and RANE should produce this product. Wishful thinking dont let me get a job at serato!
EAZYATM 11:32 AM - 7 July, 2017
And SP1 OFF-LINE player midi connection or any midi controller in OFF-LINE plaer mode...
EAZYATM 11:34 AM - 7 July, 2017
Lets be real no one in there right mind is gonna really use record box...
SirForce 11:37 AM - 7 July, 2017
It won't be long till everything is USB c and a new standard is once again ushered in and the cycle begins again.
EAZYATM 11:39 AM - 7 July, 2017
Quote:
It won't be long till everything is USB c and a new standard is once again ushered in and the cycle begins again.

Let see how long it will take them only time will tell...
Detroitbootybass 3:00 PM - 7 July, 2017
Quote:
RANE should produce this product.

Rane is dead and buried.

They exist only as a logo and a fading memory. :(
Andrei Matei 3:55 PM - 7 July, 2017
My guess is it will be a year before something new from "Rane" comes out. I keep tweeting them asking for teasers of what they are up to and they just ignore. It will be some niche stuff that is no longer widely adopted, like the Denon stuff is, most likely.

I'd love for them to create a new SL box that also works with digi Coax / spdif. But have their same great sound and build quality.

And yes to the comments above, have any of you guys tried scratching on Rekordbox DJ and listened to how it sounds? It's fake and overly-digital sounding...basically terrible. Yes, very few are gonna embrace this Rekordbox DVS thing for a while.
DJ JulioYEG 9:35 PM - 7 July, 2017
Quote:

djworx.com

I will never go to rekordbox. Closest thing to that is having my crates on hardrives for cdjs.
Philmixit 10:25 PM - 7 July, 2017
Quote:

Rekordbox , sorry I don't like you, the looks is like Virtual dj, Not for me.

Serato dj is it always!!!!
acemc 1:15 PM - 8 July, 2017
Quote:
Making it sound like I said let's stop the speculation. Just saying no need to put incorrect dates for previous releases

Sorry, I just misunderstood what u were saying.
deejdave 4:27 PM - 8 July, 2017
All Bueno!!
akaTRAP 4:17 AM - 9 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
And the other thing is that NI might not even like that/allow it..

Out of interest, why wouldn't NI allow a Z2 to work with Serato? They get to sell a Z2 and they give away the Traktor licence with the purchase so they don't lose out on a licence sale

Mike

What would be the point of buying a Mixars Duo if that were to happen??

I do agree with you, though. If Native Instruments just focused on their Techno/Disco/House audience and let Serato take care of the hip-hop/open-format guys and allowed the Z2 to work with Serato DJ, there would be no reason to buy any other mixer cheaper than $1500.
AKIEM 3:05 PM - 10 July, 2017
1) Link stay engaged after Instant Doubles.
DaveVerne 11:38 PM - 10 July, 2017
I've got an idea - the next big thing for the next serato dj update should be that Serato DJ actually Fucking works in clubs, and the loop function works without having a mind of its own. Serato DJ is Fucking trash - all this DVS this and FX that Sample that - fuck that - the whole original point of serato was to use turntables without having to slug all your records. Serato sold out. I'm just about ready to switch to USB and Rekord box.."
deejdave 12:13 AM - 11 July, 2017
SO one of the solutions to getting the TT's to work better is getting rid of DVS. And the end game here would be to switch to a system (Rekordbox) that does not support TT's at all?
acemc 12:24 AM - 11 July, 2017
Quote:
original point of serato was to use turntables without having to slug all your records

Ok
Quote:
all this DVS this and FX that Sample that - fuck that

Do you even know what DVS is???
The Lazy One 12:49 AM - 11 July, 2017
Add the good things from Rekordbox as they did with Serato interface with RB 5.0 Beta:

1) Sequencer with 16 pads as RB
2) Make related tracks that are similar to bpm/key
3) Improve sound quality/autogain
deejdave 12:58 AM - 11 July, 2017
Rekordbox DVS sound quality is nowhere near where it should be or where Serato is. The fact it now supports the S9 is its only real hope and I have heard mediocre (at best) feedback thus far comparing S9 support to SDJ.............
Andrei Matei 2:11 AM - 11 July, 2017
Quote:
Rekordbox DVS sound quality is nowhere near where it should be or where Serato is. The fact it now supports the S9 is its only real hope and I have heard mediocre (at best) feedback thus far comparing S9 support to SDJ.............

The sound quality while scratching is noticeably worse in Rekordbox. However, overall quality of tracks being played is much better in my A / B testing.
deejdave 2:23 AM - 11 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

The sound quality while scratching is noticeably worse in Rekordbox. However, overall quality of tracks being played is much better in my A / B testing.

I wouldn't argue this actually. Thing is though they are recently attacking the DVS market and I think they would have benefited by waiting until they have these issues pinned first. Don't get me wrong RBDJ is effective as all hell but this is a major factor in the sound overall. Even scratching with controllers shows its flaws...........
deejdave 2:23 AM - 11 July, 2017
digital and stretched is what I would call it.
Andrei Matei 2:54 AM - 11 July, 2017
Quote:
digital and stretched is what I would call it.

Yes totally agree.
R-A-C 4:24 AM - 11 July, 2017
except for day mode i'd like to see less cpu load in the next version. 1.9.6 eats almost twice as much as 1.6.x and still a fair share more than 1.7.x.
grimberger 7:07 AM - 11 July, 2017
Bonjour je recherche la version serato dj compatible avec la xdj 100 mk2 Pioneer stp merci
DjMarcusD 8:03 AM - 11 July, 2017
Serato Dj would be great if added a duplicate finder that will give you the option to delete duplicates from hard drive or save em to another external drive...
Djohn Smoke 6:25 PM - 11 July, 2017
Quote:
Bonjour je recherche la version serato dj compatible avec la xdj 100 mk2 Pioneer stp merci

il n'y en a pas
skinnyguy 6:55 PM - 11 July, 2017
colored crates

cocktail mode (autoplay with x-fade)

that's all i'd really like
WildcardX 6:59 PM - 11 July, 2017
An alt menu to be able to specify which crates I want the sub crate contents to display for or not.
Chino 11:40 AM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:
Serato Dj would be great if added a duplicate finder that will give you the option to delete duplicates from hard drive or save em to another external drive...

+1
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:03 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:

There are software tools out there now to do this. Matter of fact use just iTunes and you can see all of your duplicates.

IMO that's something that adds bloat to the software and does nothing to actually improve it.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:10 PM - 12 July, 2017
I ve resulted to doing that manually despite the size of my library, during gigs when I search for files if I see similar results I check the bitrate or file type and delete.

I've also started sourcing FLAC/WAV versions of tracks I use a lot. So the MP3 versions get binned.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:11 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:
I ve resulted to doing that manually despite the size of my library, during gigs when I search for files if I see similar results I check the bitrate or file type and delete.

I've also started sourcing FLAC/WAV versions of tracks I use a lot. So the MP3 versions get binned.

Exactly. I have been doing the replacement thing as well with my huge library. I color code the tracks to be replaced so it is easy to find.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:16 PM - 12 July, 2017
yeah it's night and day difference between MP3 and Lossless, though I Notorious B. I. G Juicy has to be one of the flattest songs in history lol. I thought there was something wrong with the MP3, copped the FLAC and it still sounded dull.

Anyways back to original question

Will like Day/Night mode in any updates and Spotify integration.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:24 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:
yeah it's night and day difference between MP3 and Lossless, though I Notorious B. I. G Juicy has to be one of the flattest songs in history lol. I thought there was something wrong with the MP3, copped the FLAC and it still sounded dull.

Anyways back to original question

Will like Day/Night mode in any updates and Spotify integration.

Yeah that joint was produced terrible. There are quite a few songs especially the older 70's & 80's joints done like that. Solar Records (Shalamar, Whispers) is one of those lablels that were notorious for flat sounds & no bottom.
DJ JulioYEG 8:35 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:
except for day mode i'd like to see less cpu load in the next version. 1.9.6 eats almost twice as much as 1.6.x and still a fair share more than 1.7.x.

you realize by them adding all ur wanted features it more on the cpu lol u cant have everything man you gotta sacrifice some things for others
DJ JulioYEG 8:36 PM - 12 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

fetty waps trap queen for the first minute has no bass lol
R-A-C 3:31 AM - 13 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

you realize by them adding all ur wanted features it more on the cpu lol u cant have everything man you gotta sacrifice some things for others

what features? i only asked for day mode which causes no additional load.
EAZYATM 3:52 AM - 14 July, 2017
Quote:

#Chuch some at Serato has to see this and read this!!!!
DJNitro12 10:41 PM - 14 July, 2017
Everyone's talking about USB-C and I'm still sitting over here waiting for a 64bit version....
Telony Ex 10:46 PM - 14 July, 2017
serato is cooking up somthin big man i feel it. they take too long with this new update. i believe they building from the ground up 64 bit and all. cause with that monster that pioneer dropped last week called version 5. they have no choice but to recognize that there is competition.
R-A-C 11:44 PM - 14 July, 2017
Quote:
cause with that monster that pioneer dropped last week called version 5

i don't know what you've seen but the version 5 beta i've seen looks like a cheap mashup of serato and traktor with a poor number of features. nothing there either one needs to be afraid of.
SirForce 3:20 AM - 15 July, 2017
Hmm... new mixer about to drop with builtin touchscreen, world class magnetic f... could it be serato related? i've said too much. #speculation #rumour #inuendo

New FX pack ... "Roll Out"

#dreaming
Despo 7:01 AM - 16 July, 2017
Quote:
Hmm... new mixer about to drop with builtin touchscreen, world class magnetic f... could it be serato related? i've said too much. #speculation #rumour #inuendo

New FX pack ... "Roll Out"

#dreaming

i need to know.
M.adaM 11:04 AM - 17 July, 2017
I wish I could add 2 more screens (1 one each side of my laptop) and place the A/C and B/D player and info parts there and the main screen should have the 4 wave-forms and the library only (with FX and sampler).

Also I wish I could load 8/32 samples into the sampler at once, and to have a sampler folder for these selected and adjusted sample banks.

If I could stay in the same crate as the previous song were loaded from when I push shift and deck selector (in 4 deck mode), so I could have one deck dedicated for scratch files only.

Strange is the GUI can be divided on 3 or 4 screens if you buy a dedicated hardware for this reason (NS7 III, NV or other controller with displays), but I want big screens. With 2 additional "Ipad whatever" I can have extended screens for my windows laptop, but it is not supported in SDJ.

The really annoying fact is the browsing your files is NOTHING like to browse your vinyl collection.
I wish I could organize and browse the files (with a LARGE label art) as I did with vinyls. And be able to re-organize these as I can with grabbin' a few vinyl and places them somewhere else in the collection.
But there's NO dj tool that could be used as intuitive as the vinyls age. :(
SirForce 12:37 PM - 17 July, 2017
Quote:
I wish I could add 2 more screens (1 one each side of my laptop) and place the A/C and B/D player and info parts there and the main screen should have the 4 wave-forms and the library only (with FX and sampler).

Also I wish I could load 8/32 samples into the sampler at once, and to have a sampler folder for these selected and adjusted sample banks.

If I could stay in the same crate as the previous song were loaded from when I push shift and deck selector (in 4 deck mode), so I could have one deck dedicated for scratch files only.

Strange is the GUI can be divided on 3 or 4 screens if you buy a dedicated hardware for this reason (NS7 III, NV or other controller with displays), but I want big screens. With 2 additional "Ipad whatever" I can have extended screens for my windows laptop, but it is not supported in SDJ.

The really annoying fact is the browsing your files is NOTHING like to browse your vinyl collection.
I wish I could organize and browse the files (with a LARGE label art) as I did with vinyls. And be able to re-organize these as I can with grabbin' a few vinyl and places them somewhere else in the collection.
But there's NO dj tool that could be used as intuitive as the vinyls age. :(

Some great ideas right here!
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:41 PM - 17 July, 2017
I bought a thunderbolt portable screen for the purpose of having Mix Emergency on one screen and Serato on the main screen. I didn't like the way ME lies over my library. I've only ever used it at a gig once. Think it's just the slightly longer set up time that prevents me from taking the 2nd screen out. It's like a 7-8 screen and straps on to my macbook.
John Calipari 1:41 PM - 17 July, 2017
Quote:
I'm still sitting over here waiting for a 64bit version....

"High Sierra will be last macOS release to support 32-bit apps “without compromise”, says Apple"

This implies that late next year, if a program, VST, or AU isn't native 64-Bit, it isn't going to run on any new Macs or any Macs running 10.14

Every other feature, update, etc should take a backseat to SDJ migration to a STABLE 64-bit version.
lyricalb26 2:28 PM - 17 July, 2017
i would like to see interface colour change
akakak 2:34 PM - 17 July, 2017
I wish updates in iTunes would automatically reflect in Serato.

I wish Serato supported Apple Music.
popnwave 3:48 PM - 17 July, 2017
Quote:

I wish Serato supported Apple Music.

Does anyone? That's an Apple issue more than Serato.
Despo 9:12 AM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:

yes, please more green and orange like the original SSL. Can't stand the blue-ish everything
lyricalb26 9:09 PM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

yes, please more green and orange like the original SSL. Can't stand the blue-ish everything

AGREED
Ugly Sounds 9:13 PM - 18 July, 2017
Sequencer

Spotify

and the big one plug n play with midi devices. Start with the Roland collection, have the TR-8 plug into my laptop and be controlled on a 3rd channel.
deejdave 9:27 PM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
and the big one plug n play with midi devices. Start with the Roland collection, have the TR-8 plug into my laptop and be controlled on a 3rd channel.

Sounds more like support for non native sound cards & interfaces as you can already use the MIDI features of any device aside from platter support etc.
R-A-C 10:00 PM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
aside from platter support etc.

with some devices platters do work, too. you just have to write that part of the midi config manually.
lyricalb26 10:01 PM - 18 July, 2017
99% work if you can write midi code
Quote:
Quote:

with some devices platters do work, too. you just have to write that part of the midi config manually.
deejdave 10:04 PM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Correct I Just try not to get too deep in the speculation threads. Things can go south very quick............
Ugly Sounds 11:29 PM - 18 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds more like support for non native sound cards & interfaces as you can already use the MIDI features of any device aside from platter support etc.

My thought process was just how the DJ-808 acts with the Roland boutique and Aira collections. You plug in a tb-03 and it sync the bpm and your done. So i guess I'm really looking for a midi clock support ?
deejdave 11:53 PM - 18 July, 2017
This is the point of Ableton Link. From there you can use alexandernaut.com or github.com (the latter I am not 100% sure about).
Ugly Sounds 6:41 PM - 19 July, 2017
Quote:
This is the point of Ableton Link. From there you can use alexandernaut.com or github.com (the latter I am not 100% sure about).

I've played with ableton link and it's great! but setting up a wireless network and all that for a one hour set at a busy club sucks, my computer can't handle DJing and running Abelton. I'm really just looking to bring a drum machine on a third channel and that's it . You can do this currently with the DJ-808 it's play n play with all newer Roland products. I just can't bring an dj-808 to most gigs due to DJ booth size.
Mr. Goodkat 6:40 PM - 20 July, 2017
auto gain is really bad, that would be a nice fix
R-A-C 10:01 PM - 20 July, 2017
Quote:

what's the problem with autogain?
mixgoonie 6:39 AM - 21 July, 2017
Yeah I don't use it but I am curious too.
Blank_Disk 9:01 AM - 21 July, 2017
hopefully they sort out the sampler to take samples directly from deck rather than sampling the whole track.
M.adaM 6:54 PM - 21 July, 2017
Quote:
hopefully they sort out the sampler to take samples directly from deck rather than sampling the whole track.

+100
938MyDJ 9:22 PM - 21 July, 2017
... Or an LE Performance Mode of their new plugin that can be used with SDJ.
Res-Q 2:10 AM - 23 July, 2017
Serato pleaaaase
Give us a way to know which song is in which crate/subcrate/smartcrate

An easy way to do this:
When browsing the "All" folder and clicking on a song, the crates/subcrates/smartcrates containg this song could highlight/change color
alec.tron 9:31 PM - 23 July, 2017
Quote:
Give us a way to know which song is in which crate/subcrate/smartcrate

An easy way to do this:
When browsing the "All" folder and clicking on a song, the crates/subcrates/smartcrates containg this song could highlight/change color

I'm all for that... but the idea doesn't work as soon as you have more crates than screenspace... which is a case for me and I assume many others (i.e everyone who has more than 30-50 crates [at a wild guess, I haven't counted...])...
c.
Res-Q 9:39 PM - 23 July, 2017
Why? You could have as many crates as you want it doesnt matter really.
Go into the all folder > clic on whichever song you wish > the corresponding crate(s) light up.
Simple imo
Res-Q 9:40 PM - 23 July, 2017
...you can then scroll on the left side to see all your crates which will be highlighted
Mr. Goodkat 11:29 PM - 23 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

what's the problem with autogain?

imo, it only works with better compressed files, louder and quieter files tend to fluctuate and arent reliable. ive noticed it doesnt seem to work well with ALAC files but maybe its just me
alec.tron 11:50 PM - 23 July, 2017
Ah, if it stays on as a continuous/persistent highlight, past when the file is selected, it could, true...
Also, since it's 2017 :D, I would love for my central DJ to not only tell me which crate/playlist a file is in, but also which tracks I previously had it MixIn / MixOut to/from (without the need to check each playlist by hand...).
Probably long ways away though, with the speed DJ software developers have been moving over the last years... :/
c.
R-A-C 6:41 PM - 27 July, 2017
a minor one: the deck order.

in stack mode with 4 decks i really don't like the 3/1/2/4 order. would be great to have this as it is in scratch live. simple from top to bottom from 1 to 4.
Andrei Matei 10:39 PM - 27 July, 2017
+1 to what R-A-C said.
DJ Tecniq 11:25 PM - 27 July, 2017
Quote:
a minor one: the deck order.

in stack mode with 4 decks i really don't like the 3/1/2/4 order. would be great to have this as it is in scratch live. simple from top to bottom from 1 to 4.
Scratchlive was ahead of its time. SDJ still in the ice ages😂
DJ-2ni 8:16 AM - 28 July, 2017
Hi

For me, the double screen like recordbox DJ is my desire.
And effect post fader with the DDJ SZ, but it's not a Serato issu, its a Pioneer issu...!
John Calipari 1:40 PM - 28 July, 2017
Quote:
And effect post fader with the DDJ SZ, but it's not a Serato issu, its a Pioneer issu...!

Didn't Pioneer correct that with the SZ2?
SirForce 3:28 PM - 28 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't Pioneer correct that with the SZ2?

Yes SZ2 has post fader effects.
938MyDJ 6:42 PM - 28 July, 2017
But you have to buy the SDJ Licence and the DVS expansion... I think?
DJ-2ni 9:55 AM - 31 July, 2017
I Don't want to buy a SZ2
My DDJ SZ works so good,
don't want to change and to pay 2000€ once again...
Phil G 6:38 PM - 1 August, 2017
I reckon DJ Expo alongside Rane's new hardware, something will be revealed.
Dj cuervo 7:06 PM - 1 August, 2017
New hardware means new Software soon!!!
John Calipari 8:18 PM - 1 August, 2017
Quote:
New hardware means new Software soon!!!

Probably, but imagine how much bloat could be cut if Serato had specific SDJ versions for specific hardware with only the specific needed driver(s) coded into the App and then downloadable in the product's page in the Serato Hardware section and at the manufacture site?

And also make the optional expansions actually downloadable and not baked in whether you need it or not. As it stands it' more like functionalities that you can buy and unlock, there is no actual code expansion at all. It's already there

Although one might own a Pioneer DDJ-SZ2, SX, MCX, 808, etc, SDJ APP is coded to be universal with every supported Controller in existence and already contains all of the options whether you purchase their functionality or not.

SDJ could be half as lean and twice as efficient if the fat were trimmed.
popnwave 8:24 PM - 1 August, 2017
A fork in the app would probably be a good thing at this point, but that's a lot of work.
Phil G 8:25 PM - 1 August, 2017
And just imagine being at a gig with no internet access.... something happens to your hardware. The DJ on after you says "Hey I use Serato, here borrow my <insert DJ equipment here>"
Or you're at a gig where you have to use pre-installed gear, e.g. Pioneer nexus setup
Or you've gone round to a friends to have a jam together on their equipment.

You then plug it in to find that your software only supports your particular model that you can't use for whatever reason.

That is by far the dumbest "feature suggestion" I have ever heard... ever.
deejdave 1:14 AM - 2 August, 2017
Don't get me wrong I am all for efficiency but having multiple versions of anything is the opposite of efficient and benefits individual users as apposed to the masses. While there is ONE benefit to this there are many detriments to this. Lastly while again there is room for improvement any current machine within the recommended specifications can run this software at 30% or less CPU load.
Mr. Goodkat 1:21 AM - 2 August, 2017
Quote:
That is by far the dumbest "feature suggestion" I have ever heard... ever.

maybe not ever, but def dumb
Serato, Support
Mike.C 3:56 AM - 2 August, 2017
Hey all, loads of great suggestions here and some of you are on the money with forthcoming features (I can't say which ones obviously).

I would just like to direct you all to our feature suggestion forum as well. This is an ongoing forum space and is a good resource for features that have already been requested that you can add your support to, or post new ideas where relevant. Our developers and other team members visit the forum regularly for feedback on new ideas so your suggestion may just make it into the software in future. This forum can be found here: serato.com
John Calipari 12:49 PM - 2 August, 2017
Quote:
having multiple versions of anything is the opposite of efficient and benefits individual users as apposed to the masses.

Unlike separate Windows and Mac versions, Hardware specific editions aren't different wholesale versions. It's a trimmed version with only the driver needed to activate SDJ and all of the other drivers left off.

The theoretical MCX Edition of SDJ wouldn't crash because it lacks a Roland DJ-808 driver. Instead, it would actually become more resource efficient, leaner program without losing any functionality.

The masses still get their SDJ, just one that is trimmed to focus on their specific hardware.
deejdave 1:21 PM - 2 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
having multiple versions of anything is the opposite of efficient and benefits individual users as apposed to the masses.

Unlike separate Windows and Mac versions, Hardware specific editions aren't different wholesale versions. It's a trimmed version with only the driver needed to activate SDJ and all of the other drivers left off.

The theoretical MCX Edition of SDJ wouldn't crash because it lacks a Roland DJ-808 driver. Instead, it would actually become more resource efficient, leaner program without losing any functionality.

The masses still get their SDJ, just one that is trimmed to focus on their specific hardware.

Trust that of all the things / space adding up hardware related drivers etc are one of the least.
John Calipari 5:05 PM - 2 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Trust that of all the things / space adding up hardware related drivers etc are one of the least.

Yeah, your probably right.
djCanta 11:04 AM - 3 August, 2017
Please make sure there will come support for :

Pioneer's XDJ-700 (less useful compared to... : ), XDJ-RX (!!), DJM750MK2, DJM2000NXS, XDJ-1000mk2. Maybe even the DJM750 (mk1) would be nice. Thanks a lot.
Despo 12:32 PM - 3 August, 2017
Quote:
Please make sure there will come support for :

Pioneer's XDJ-700 (less useful compared to... : ), XDJ-RX (!!), DJM750MK2, DJM2000NXS, XDJ-1000mk2. Maybe even the DJM750 (mk1) would be nice. Thanks a lot.

I agree very much with every device you list.
popnwave 2:46 PM - 3 August, 2017
XDJ stuff is Rekordbox only. That's like asking for a Traktor mixer to be native. You guys just don't get it.
kvnkrz 4:23 PM - 3 August, 2017
I think the next update will include Denon's PRIME series. Also the numark ns6ii Mixars new mixers..
DJMIYAGI 6:25 PM - 3 August, 2017
Quote:
XDJ stuff is Rekordbox only. That's like asking for a Traktor mixer to be native. You guys just don't get it.

How do you figure that? The original XDJ-1000s work with SDJ.
Chino 7:04 PM - 3 August, 2017
Quote:
think the next update will include Denon's PRIME series. Also the numark ns6ii Mixars new mixers..

There will be new mixer/controller support BUT think BIGGER…

www.macworld.com

We may have SDJ 64bit support sooner than we think!!
djcrap 1:46 AM - 4 August, 2017
They need to do some library optimizations in areas like. Analyzing big libraries and reading and writing tags with big libraries on external hard drives.
1. faster loading of track overviews on decks. Some times when playing from deck a then load deck b the. Twitch some times the playhed catches up to the overviews or waveform before the track is fully loaded which causes a drop in sound or a freeze till the track loads. Note all tracks are analyzed.
deejdave 3:06 AM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
think the next update will include Denon's PRIME series. Also the numark ns6ii Mixars new mixers..

There will be new mixer/controller support BUT think BIGGER…

www.macworld.com

We may have SDJ 64bit support sooner than we think!!

Soooooo what does iOS have to do with software for Mac OS and Windows? This WAS however the reason they recently updated the Remote/Remote Mini apps recently..................... confused.
dj zaza 7:31 AM - 4 August, 2017
I hope that they will sit as apps for Apple Store on Mac and iOS, I think the power that now has iPad Pro can handle the software well. Especially the ability to access the library through iCloud, but above all to solve dropout issues when keeping wi fi active. Switching off the wifi has always been a problem for Windows, and for a few years, it is necessary to optimize the macs, which did not happen with scratch live.
mixgoonie 9:05 AM - 4 August, 2017
I like such topics with everyone sharing their ideas, but honestly, when will the next beta come ? Last year we received the beta of 1.9.3 about this period. It is starting to be long...
John Calipari 12:45 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
Soooooo what does iOS have to do with software for Mac OS and Windows?.

Because Apple has stated that High Sierra will be the last MacOS to support 32-Bit Applications.
Will08272 3:37 PM - 4 August, 2017
The concern is the more than likely fact that the update after high sierra or the following, will completely break compatibility with 32 bit apps. I believe what is happening with High sierra is only effecting apps on the app store, but the message being sent is pretty clear, that devs will have to update the applications.
DJ Tecniq 4:11 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
Because Apple has stated that High Sierra will be the last MacOS to support 32-Bit Applications.
which means Serato better get with the times...fucking 2018 almost and still on 32 bit software.
deejdave 12:34 AM - 5 August, 2017
Quote:

Quote:
I believe what is happening with High sierra is only effecting apps on the app store

Exactly. Software distributed outside the App store are merely recommended to move to 64 bit........... kind of like we are doing here. By no means required..............
R-A-C 8:36 PM - 5 August, 2017
Quote:
fucking 2018 almost and still on 32 bit software.

so what?
64bit is no magic bullet. it depends on each specific task. some programs benefit from 64bit, some don't and for some others it's actually a disadvantage.

looking at the bloat problem sdj has for some time now, 64bit would make that even worse. there's a number of measures that could bring sdj back on the no-nonsense track; moving to 64bit is not one of them.
DJ Tecniq 11:38 PM - 5 August, 2017
I agree 64 bit would prob lag the hell out of SDJ. Program would prob have to be completely rewritten.
R-A-C 5:41 AM - 6 August, 2017
no and no :-P
djCanta 1:45 PM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:

XDJ1000 works perfect with SDJ. So the other XDJ's would be welcome! And; the XDJ-RX are used in different bars also, which sucks if you can't use it with SDJ while it has MIDI/HID support on board. I don't like Rekordbox / Rekordbox DJ. That's why; make it work with SDJ.
Phil G 2:29 PM - 6 August, 2017
I don’t think it’ll be long now, especially with the 72 just dropping. When Rane make their official announcement, I don’t think it’ll be too far behind.
711, 713, 715
deejdave 3:03 PM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

XDJ1000 works perfect with SDJ. So the other XDJ's would be welcome! And; the XDJ-RX are used in different bars also, which sucks if you can't use it with SDJ while it has MIDI/HID support on board. I don't like Rekordbox / Rekordbox DJ. That's why; make it work with SDJ.

XDJ-1000 is a media player and furthermore an OSA meaning NO INTERFACE is supported. There has yet to be a single XDJ controller supported by SDJ. I am sure he would have elaborated if he knew some of us would not crack the code here............. :)
popnwave 4:36 PM - 6 August, 2017
Quote:

XDJ-1000 is a media player and furthermore an OSA meaning NO INTERFACE is supported. There has yet to be a single XDJ controller supported by SDJ. I am sure he would have elaborated if he knew some of us would not crack the code here............. :)

Thank you, exactly.
John Calipari 3:06 PM - 7 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I believe what is happening with High sierra is only effecting apps on the app store

Exactly. Software distributed outside the App store are merely recommended to move to 64 bit........... kind of like we are doing here. By no means required..............

Per Apple to Developers

“If you distribute your apps outside the Mac App Store, we highly recommend distributing 64-bit binaries to make sure your users can continue to run your apps on future versions of macOS.”

Per Cult of Mac
"Apple adds that High Sierra, launching this fall, will be the last version of macOS to support 32-bit apps “without compromise.” This suggests they will work on future versions of macOS, but there could be issues that impact performance and stability."

Only an under-funded ill-prepared indie developer would not head Apple's warning here.
deejdave 4:30 PM - 7 August, 2017
nobody is saying they should not get on 64 bit but let's not pretend serato is quick to even support current OS upon release.
John Calipari 5:30 PM - 7 August, 2017
Quote:
nobody is saying they should not get on 64 bit but let's not pretend serato is quick to even support current OS upon release.

True, but I suspect (hope) Serato has been working on a complete 64-bit overhaul in a separate project for some time.

Though I'm not endorsing it, I've been running 1.96 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13 Developer Beta 4 w/APFS and, no exaggeration, it has never ran better, faster, or more efficient. Same with Ableton Live 9.72
Big Pops 11:34 PM - 7 August, 2017
At some point and time Serato would got to go 64 bit and i suspect they already have a 64 bit version testing, its not an easy task, the entire program got to be re written.
Lets hope its sooner that later.
DJMIYAGI 11:38 PM - 7 August, 2017
Quote:
At some point and time Serato would got to go 64 bit and i suspect they already have a 64 bit version testing, its not an easy task, the entire program got to be re written.
Lets hope its sooner that later.

Hopefully by the time we get SDJ 2.0 it will be 64 bit
M.adaM 5:43 AM - 12 August, 2017
I wish they could make a 4 deck version of the yesterday's Google doodle.
www.google.com

That is the album-art browsing I miss from EVERY dj program.
It could be upgraded, so I can see both sides of the label itself (O.K., I have to add label art to every song, and different ones on the side A and side B... c,d....) when I enter into a "record".

Prepeare option should rotate the selected vinyl (45 degrees), just as it was made with real records.

There are so many unnecessary stuff in the GUI today, and many things are missing.
Most of them should be made with on/off switching possibility in the options/GUI tab.

It is not a big task to add these, and new ideas, options, needs could be added really easy afterwards.
DJ-2ni 7:27 AM - 12 August, 2017
For me the double screen, thats what I want first..
akaTRAP 5:59 PM - 15 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
fucking 2018 almost and still on 32 bit software.

so what?
64bit is no magic bullet. it depends on each specific task. some programs benefit from 64bit, some don't and for some others it's actually a disadvantage.

looking at the bloat problem sdj has for some time now, 64bit would make that even worse. there's a number of measures that could bring sdj back on the no-nonsense track; moving to 64bit is not one of them.

The only thing 64-bit will allow is for Serato DJ to access more than 4GB of system RAM and to effectively utilize modern multi-core processors (aka, it'll analyze songs much faster). That's pretty much it. 64-bit is only a disadvantage if your hardware is so old it wouldn't benefit from the advantages I just listed. And if that were the case, why are you using 10-year-old hardware?

Quote:
I agree 64 bit would prob lag the hell out of SDJ. Program would prob have to be completely rewritten.

Wouldn't lag SDJ, but it would have to be re-written from the ground up in order to properly support the 64-bit architecture (very expensive) rather than porting it like they did with the Mac version to Windows. Also, every supported piece of hardware would need new drivers in order to function for the 64-bit (also costly). Considering some old devices haven't been supported for years............
EAZYATM 7:56 PM - 16 August, 2017
2.0 is about to drop and I’m sorry to say no 64bit mode 😔
kvnkrz 8:03 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:

When ?
John Calipari 8:07 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:

Is it going to officially be 2.0? I expect a version to be released to support the Rane 72 & TWELVE hardware that just debuted, but compatibility updates are usually just point releases.
Serato, Support
Kane D 8:49 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:

🤔 what makes you say?
djcrap 8:56 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

🤔 what makes you say?

Well all modes for the past years have been preaching that 64bit is not needed!

Or it's coming in a future update! Which in serato years is like 7 years plus
R-A-C 4:24 AM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:
The only thing 64-bit will allow is for Serato DJ to access more than 4GB of system RAM and to effectively utilize modern multi-core processors (aka, it'll analyze songs much faster).

no, having more than 4gb ram is not a requirement for using more than one cpu (or core) at a time.
that aside, serato does support parallel analyzing for a couple of years already. how much faster that'd be with a 64bit version would have to be tested but more than 4gb ram is not needed for that either way.

Quote:
it would have to be re-written from the ground up in order to properly support the 64-bit architecture

and that's a "no" as well.
akaTRAP 2:27 PM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:

no, having more than 4gb ram is not a requirement for using more than one cpu (or core) at a time.
that aside, serato does support parallel analyzing for a couple of years already. how much faster that'd be with a 64bit version would have to be tested but more than 4gb ram is not needed for that either way.

64-bit architecture allows a program to access more than 4GB of RAM, the same way that a 64-bit operating system can see more than 4GB of physical RAM (up to 16 billion gigs of it). So yes, I was correct.

Also, RAM DOES NOT come into factor when Serato is analyzing music. That's a CPU task (btw, I said that when you quoted me), one that would be dramatically sped up if Serato was running in 64-bit. It's the exact reason why Rekordbox 64-bit and Traktor 64-bit analyze songs much faster than Serato ever will.

Quote:
it would have to be re-written from the ground up in order to properly support the 64-bit architecture

and that's a "no" as well.

Actually, yes it would have. It's a different architecture than 32-bit. In order to take full advantage of it (something a port wouldn't do, like I previously said), it would need to be re-written from the ground up.

If you're going to quote someone, at least don't purposely mislead others when doing so, especially when the comment you're quoting is only six above yours.
akaTRAP 2:33 PM - 17 August, 2017
To add:

64-bit doesn't magically allow access to more CPU cores. It allows more EFFICIENT USE of said cores. Long story short, 32-bit needs to be brute forced (the higher clock performance and more cores you throw at it, typically the better), whereas 64-bit can better assign tasks to a CPU's cores for much better efficiency.
M.adaM 4:51 PM - 17 August, 2017
I guess after 1.9.7 there are only two numbers possible.
And whenever the 2.0 comes it will be 64 bit because we live in the age of 64 bit programming, not to mention Aplle does not supports 32 bit programs in their store anymore.

I would like to see an updated Serato remote also, since there are pretty crazy things happened with the MixVibes and the other guys.
popnwave 6:59 PM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:
I guess after 1.9.7 there are only two numbers possible.
And whenever the 2.0 comes it will be 64 bit because we live in the age of 64 bit programming, not to mention Aplle does not supports 32 bit programs in their store anymore.

I would like to see an updated Serato remote also, since there are pretty crazy things happened with the MixVibes and the other guys.

SDJ isn't a store app, so that point is silly. I wouldn't mind to see a 64bit app, but some of these supposed reasons are flimsy.
John Calipari 7:51 PM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:
SDJ isn't a store app, so that point is silly. I wouldn't mind to see a 64bit app, but some of these supposed reasons are flimsy.

I think the Point is that Apple pulling all 32-Bit APPS from their APP Store is a sign that Apple is abandoning all concern and support for 32-Bit Software thereafter, which Apple has actually stated is their intention.
akaTRAP 7:52 PM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I think the Point is that Apple pulling all 32-Bit APPS from their APP Store is a sign that Apple is abandoning all concern and support for 32-Bit Software thereafter, which Apple has actually stated is their intention.

They don't even support their 32-bit phones anymore.
Joe Fresh 3:55 AM - 18 August, 2017
Quick excerpt from Cult of Mac regarding support for 32-bit applications in macOS High Sierra and future versions of macOS --

"Apple adds that High Sierra, launching this fall, will be the last version of macOS to support 32-bit apps “without compromise.” This suggests they will work on future versions of macOS, but there could be issues that impact performance and stability."

Source: www.cultofmac.com (June 29, 2017)
dj zaza 6:42 AM - 18 August, 2017
I'm using Rekordbox 5 on my Surface laptop and go to a bomb, high resolution interface, waveforms do not stutter, already 64-bit software, better audio output quality than Serato. We hope that waiting will bring us good results.
dj zaza 6:49 AM - 18 August, 2017
I think Serato has to take what he has done good all these years and start from scratch, I think the engine that drives the software now is old, so if they're rewriting all the software from head to top, this will definitely bring benefits, I believe As long as these software have a minor impact on the computer.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:38 PM - 18 August, 2017
How old is Serato DJ btw
EAZYATM 1:50 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

🤔 what makes you say?

im sorry bro but this the only i can get your attention lol...
EAZYATM 1:57 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
How old is Serato DJ btw

The company or the program?
Will08272 3:18 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
How old is Serato DJ btw

About 5 years, came out 2012 according to my quick search.
John Calipari 5:20 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
How old is Serato DJ btw

If your counting Itch and Scratch Live, it's over 15 years old
DJ Tecniq 5:55 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
How old is Serato DJ btw
Old enough it should be at 2.0 already...
Johnny H 6:56 PM - 18 August, 2017
And 64bit already! The last few builds since 1.79 have been a backward move, more issues and glitches than ever before.

I run a 2015 Mac book pro 2.8 i7 16gigs ram ssd hard drive and serato 1.96 runs like a pig! And I mean runs like a pig, slow, glitchy, all the graphics and wave forms pause when clicking through my crates.

Considering the power of my Mac serato programmers must be generating very inefficient code or something is going wrong, no other software seems as glitchy and jerky and slow
R-A-C 9:34 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
64-bit architecture allows a program to access more than 4GB of RAM, the same way that a 64-bit operating system can see more than 4GB of physical RAM (up to 16 billion gigs of it). So yes, I was correct.

yeah this is right but just half of what you said. the other half and what i referred to was:
Quote:
effectively utilize modern multi-core processors

Quote:
It's a different architecture than 32-bit.

no, it's still x86. the 64bit instructions are just an extension. a different architecture would for example be sparc or mips.

Quote:
it would need to be re-written from the ground up.

only certain parts and these not necessarily completely either. but to what extend depends on the specific code of course.
Dj cuervo 11:00 PM - 18 August, 2017
Touch effects is probably the big new feature in the next version of Serato DJ(not 2.0). They will update the serato remote app to support it with the Rane 72. Numark is probably working on a controller for winter Namm that will support it. I say Winter Namm 2018 is when we will see Serato DJ 2.0.
R-A-C 11:08 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
It's the exact reason why Rekordbox 64-bit and Traktor 64-bit analyze songs much faster than Serato ever will.

i just tried that. traktor 64bit vs. itch.

to rule out the disk as a bottleneck i put the files for testing on a ram disk. 11 files of which 4 are ogg. the rest are mp3 and all between 10mb and 20mb. the test machine has 8 threads so it gets fully loaded. in the traktor settings i turned off the key analysis because itch doesn't do that either. then, a bit to my surprise, itch was 2 seconds faster.

no idea which one you used but my traktor (2.10.3) was not faster at all.
akaTRAP 11:55 PM - 18 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
It's the exact reason why Rekordbox 64-bit and Traktor 64-bit analyze songs much faster than Serato ever will.

i just tried that. traktor 64bit vs. itch.

to rule out the disk as a bottleneck i put the files for testing on a ram disk. 11 files of which 4 are ogg. the rest are mp3 and all between 10mb and 20mb. the test machine has 8 threads so it gets fully loaded. in the traktor settings i turned off the key analysis because itch doesn't do that either. then, a bit to my surprise, itch was 2 seconds faster.

no idea which one you used but my traktor (2.10.3) was not faster at all.

I used Traktor 2.10, and it did my entire library (7000 songs at the time) in around a half-hour. Serato takes twice as long to analyze the same library. Then again, I always switch mine to Performance whenever I analyze.

I told you once to stop cutting parts of my comment in a misleading way, yet you did it again. I clearly stated (this is the third time now) that 64-bit handles multi-core workloads better than 32-bit does. This is a fact. This is a well-known fact. The only major concern is whether or not you need it to (hence why you won't see a consumer-grade 128-bit processor any time soon).

And I also said that, if Serato Audio Research want Serato DJ to natively work in 64-bit (better than a port would), they would have to re-write it. Also, every single piece of supported hardware would need new drivers (though don't quote me on that when it comes to class-compliant drivers on Mac). I'm not going to respond again until you address every point I mentioned and stop picking and choosing what you think you can counter.
R-A-C 12:26 AM - 19 August, 2017
Quote:
I used Traktor 2.10, and it did my entire library (7000 songs at the time) in around a half-hour. Serato takes twice as long to analyze the same library. Then again, I always switch mine to Performance whenever I analyze.

and you ruled out any other influences? because as you know, to the analyzing itself it doesn't matter how many songs are in the queue. the result per file should always be the same, no matter if you have 10 or 1000 tracks.

Quote:
I told you once to stop cutting parts of my comment in a misleading way, yet you did it again.

yeah well you don't tell me anything :-P
i quote what i want and when i want.

Quote:
I clearly stated (this is the third time now) that 64-bit handles multi-core workloads better than 32-bit does. This is a fact. This is a well-known fact. The only major concern is whether or not you need it to

sure but that does neither depend on the 4gb limit nor is it relevant for a dj program. if that was not what you wanted to say then it was just a misunderstanding.

anyway, i think this goes a bit too much off topic now. i guess we can agree that rolling out a 64bit version would require some effort either way. how much better that'd actually be, well, we'd only know for sure in case of a release.
akaTRAP 12:39 AM - 19 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

and you ruled out any other influences? because as you know, to the analyzing itself it doesn't matter how many songs are in the queue. the result per file should always be the same, no matter if you have 10 or 1000 tracks.

Considering analyzing a track is a CPU-bound task, there aren't any other variables (besides background tasks like anti-virus, and having insanely slow storage unlike my M.2 SSD) that would come into play.

Quote:

yeah well you don't tell me anything :-P
i quote what i want and when i want.

Thanks for admitting to being misleading on purpose.

Quote:
sure but that does neither depend on the 4gb limit nor is it relevant for a dj program. if that was not what you wanted to say then it was just a misunderstanding.

This depends on the workload. I never said it NEEDED to access more than 4GB of RAM, I only stated it can access a maximum of 4GB of system.

Quote:
The only thing 64-bit will allow is for Serato DJ to access more than 4GB of system RAM and to effectively utilize modern multi-core processors (aka, it'll analyze songs much faster).

Moving on, it would be dope for Serato to have some HID functionality like Rekordbox does with CDJs.........wishful thinking.
R-A-C 1:01 AM - 19 August, 2017
Quote:
Thanks for admitting to being misleading on purpose.

jeez, did you even read what i wrote?
if you wanna troll somebody you got the wrong guy. this is done.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:11 AM - 19 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
How old is Serato DJ btw

About 5 years, came out 2012 according to my quick search.

5 years already ..i don't know anything about writing programs but I guess at some point a rewrite will be warranted and perhaps they produce a more efficient software.

I've never had issues with DVS on SDJ most headaches is with controllers.

And I know issues could be from hardware or software.

I think the multiple number of hardware they support now will be a factor in what direction they wanna move.

No one died when SL1 and 57SL got the cut.

My busy period of the year comes to an end next weekend. SDJ was good to me gigging 3/4 times per week with no issues using different modes. (DVS, Controller, Video mixing)
DJ Tecniq 5:21 PM - 19 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
How old is Serato DJ
Old enough to be dead and rewritten...ahahahaha
Mike Butler 11:20 PM - 19 August, 2017
They should probably just release the next version as 2.0 - it wouldn't need to have any big changes, but it'd seem shiny and new to people who think version numbers have to actually mean something :)

Mike
Telony Ex 9:39 PM - 21 August, 2017
They just relaese 1.9.7 with none of the above reuest or recomendations. A slap in the face. Lol please serato i really like this software. I really dont like when you guys dont listen to the masses. We are the actual users everday of the software. So if we see a shortfall or somthing that can be implemented to make the workload better or improve the user experience, It it could be fair if our request, comments, and any other input not taken lightly.
Phil G 9:42 PM - 21 August, 2017
Where?
alec.tron 9:54 PM - 21 August, 2017
In the official email....
Funny Serato & NI both release new versions/betas, and both are a joke in terms of what they deliver imo...
c.
Nathan Looney 9:55 PM - 21 August, 2017
The new update was to include more DJ toys to the DJ line. SMH! Yawn.....
Phil G 9:57 PM - 21 August, 2017
Yeah found it, not had the email though.
Not the best of updates by a long stretch.

I’d guess that 1.9.8 will bring rane support only, like this one has with the numark gear
kvnkrz 10:03 PM - 21 August, 2017
No support on the denon gear tho..
Phil G 10:05 PM - 21 August, 2017
Ahhh yeah 1.9.8 - denon prime gear
1.9.9 - rane gear
2.0 - lord only knows
Dj cuervo 10:48 PM - 21 August, 2017
2.0 next year winter Namm.
acemc 12:35 AM - 22 August, 2017
"Maybe" next year winter Namm they give us a friggin day mode!!!!
I believe there was a time when Serato actually listened & acted.......
Mr. Goodkat 2:06 AM - 22 August, 2017
Quote:
most likely something you don't want or need

goodkatstradamus

Serato DJ 1.9.7 Release Notes
20 August, 2017

Numark NS6II Support
Numark DJ2GO2 Support
Fixed an issue where cue button on CDJ in REL restarts track if pressed after 2 seconds of elapsed control tone
Telony Ex 4:35 AM - 22 August, 2017
I wish i could just wake up and see an email from serato that says. Just kidding with this 1.9.7 guys. Its a joke gone too far
dj zaza 5:08 AM - 22 August, 2017
I too was disappointed, I waited all this time to see just new support for the controllers, for the moment I've been to Rekordbox since s9 and native, dvs works very well, there is still some function but I think they will add, Even graphically on Windows is all very enjoyable, high resolution UI, waveforms do not snap, much higher sound is better outbound.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:19 PM - 22 August, 2017
Time to start a 2.0 thread 😁
Andrei Matei 1:21 PM - 22 August, 2017
These days, I'm convinced it's not that Serato isn't listening, doesn't care, or doesn't want to make some of these improvements. I think they are in neck deep having to deal with support for all of these dozens of sh*tbox controllers they have to support.

I know it's against their unified direction but maybe it's time to go with Serato Pro, Serato Advanced and Serato Intro. Pro being timecode and pro club gear only, Advanced being mid-range controllers, and Intro sticking to the toy crap. Basically leave Intro and Advanced where it is today since most of the controller crowd is fine with SDJ and doesn't know better and give the Pro users what they need with a handful of device options. I'd be fine paying more for a pro option if they hurried up with development of what actually matters vs. worrying about supporting the next junk controller.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:01 PM - 22 August, 2017
And you think having to support 3 different types of software is gonna make it better??
Mike Butler 4:08 PM - 22 August, 2017
Probably not better, but it does add the opportunity for more "get the pro version or you're not a real dj because you don't know better" comments in the forums :)

Mike
Andrei Matei 4:41 PM - 22 August, 2017
You guys maybe aren't familiar with the problems of monolithic code bases. Or maybe you didn't use Itch and SSL when they were out and saw that SSL was far superior to Itch because it was hyper-focused. Funny enough, BOTH Itch and SSL were better in some respects to SDJ.
Mike Butler 4:51 PM - 22 August, 2017
My experience with code bases of all kinds is actually extremely wide. A single WELL WRITTEN codebase shouldn't be a problem as long as it's properly designed and internally compartmentalised. That way bug fixes are generally in a single place rather than fixed in different codebases. That's not to say that they can't have three levels of functionality and enable different ones depending on the licence key or controller or whatever. Pretty much the way P'n'T and the effects packs work at the moment. If your licence includes them then they'll be accessible otherwise they're not present.

Mike
al83 7:42 PM - 22 August, 2017
Quote:
Funny enough, BOTH Itch and SSL were better in some respects to SDJ.

Spot on. I'm still on SSL as its just a better product for DVS, simple as. To be brutally honest I think SDJ has been an utter disaster in terms of design and progress. Fingers crossed for v2 but lets not get our hopes up..
djcrap 7:59 PM - 22 August, 2017
My guess is the reason 1 9.7 didnt meet your wild imaginations! Its because rane and roland announced new hardware which maybe meant 85% of code for 1.9.7 became useless because of new bugs introduced by new features on the 72,twelve,roland new controllers. so maybe the all code need to be rewriten to support the new hardwares. So they just decided to release the other 25 percent which was ready which is now 1.9.7.
alec.tron 5:54 AM - 23 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Funny enough, BOTH Itch and SSL were better in some respects to SDJ.

Spot on. I'm still on SSL as its just a better product for DVS, simple as. To be brutally honest I think SDJ has been an utter disaster in terms of design and progress. Fingers crossed for v2 but lets not get our hopes up..

+1 on that one unfortunately....
c.
Mike Czech 5:38 PM - 23 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

🤔 what makes you say?

Kanestradamus in the house! Thank you for this!

Also, DAY MODE!!
dj loco lopez 2:54 PM - 1 September, 2017
Yeah, this release is a dud imo. I was looking forward to maybe some more functionality or something worth upgrading to (like maybe controller key shift functionality?). I am still on 1.9.5. I moved to 1.9.6 and experienced a crash within minutes so I downgraded again. During the Itch years I remained downgraded to 1.7.5 because of all the library glitches from every version up. That was really disappointing.

ALL IN ALL HOWEVER... So far SDJ is as good as it needs to be right now. I am not unhappy with it. Its been pretty stable at 1.9.5 with my hardware and laptop. I am a fan of Serato and not so much of the other brands for many reasons (simply put I hate traktor's layout and VDJ is just meh, etc.) I just think about what we were doing before software like this back in the day, so to complain about an pointless upgrade is a little pompous. Complaining about loss of functionality or severe crashes as a result, I totally get.

That being said... Serato, Thank you for putting out this product. Keep up the great quality. But please listen to us man. We are supportive and loyal as hell. Throw us a bone now and again. Day mode alone would probably have appeased about 95% of this group. And to me, that would have been a successful roll out of an upgrade. Just sayin.
Dj_Roger 7:30 PM - 3 September, 2017
Quote:
I was looking forward to maybe some more functionality or something worth upgrading to (like maybe controller key shift functionality?)

The Roland DJ808 have this function with Serato Dj allready.
acemc 7:32 PM - 3 September, 2017
Quote:
Day mode alone would probably have appeased about 95% of this group. And to me, that would have been a successful roll out of an upgrade.

Well said!!
dj loco lopez 5:01 AM - 4 September, 2017
The Roland DJ808 have this function with Serato Dj allready.

Thanks man. I hadn't realized it was available in 1.9.6 since I downgraded. I went ahead and upgraded to 1.9.7. So far so good. No crash.
skinnyguy 6:43 PM - 8 September, 2017
colored crates. that's all i really need at this point. makes finding particular crates faster. like the color tag for each mp3. c'mon.....
Gary Hoyles 4:54 PM - 20 September, 2017
Id like to see forward and backward buttons like in Chrome or explorer so when browsing crates you can click back to look at what you were looking at a few minutes ago.

Would also like them to drop the use of quicktime for serato video and implement a proper windows video player that uses Direct X.
akakak 1:50 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
Id like to see forward and backward buttons like in Chrome or explorer so when browsing crates you can click back to look at what you were looking at a few minutes ago.

That's a nice feature request.

Quote:
Would also like them to drop the use of quicktime for serato video and implement a proper windows video player that uses Direct X.

That's a silly feature request. QuickTime's not perfect but it's cross-compatible. DirectX is platform dependant.
deejdave 8:17 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
QuickTime's not perfect but it's cross-compatible.

Was under the impression Apple dropped support for QT :)
al83 9:21 PM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:

+1
Funnily enough this was actually a great feature of Traktor 3 when it launched with DVS all the way back in around 2006/7, then they took it out for Traktor Pro!! I used Traktor quite a bit then and found the feature very useful.
popnwave 11:07 PM - 22 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
QuickTime's not perfect but it's cross-compatible.

Was under the impression Apple dropped support for QT :)

On Windows only..

www.us-cert.gov
deejdave 11:22 PM - 22 September, 2017
Ya just meant not cross compatible is all.
Gary Hoyles 11:57 PM - 28 September, 2017
For Quick time , i would like to see it dropped on the windows version as i would like to use Serato Video for Karaoke on my old laptop. Serato video won't work at all on the laptop and i only discovered this after purchasing the video addon. But Video works perfectly with virtual DJ on this laptop. For Karaoke we have to close serato and open VDJ this takes a few minutes an we would just like to use Serato for the whole session. Serato support recommended getting a new laptop for video but no suggestions as to what one to buy, and im not buying a Mac

Back and forwards buttons, are a must, would make it so much easier to navigate.
akakak 9:52 PM - 2 October, 2017
Quote:
Ya just meant not cross compatible is all.

Yeah, you're quite right - sorry. I don't think DirectX would help though - two wrongs don't make a right!