Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Warning - analyzing large batches in SDJ 1.9.6 can damage mp3 & flac files

alec.tron 9:45 AM - 17 May, 2017
Heya,
keen to see if there's others, and also to warn people about this case so people keep an eye out.

After the debacle with SDJ deleting metadata on the analyze process that has been put on flac files as per the flac file specifications:
serato.com

(Now that I have a work around to re-inject the metadata deleted by SDJ on analyze...) I recently ran a large analyze batch (4000+ files) in SDJ 1.9.6. After which I suddenly had a few corrupted/unplayable flac files which were fine before they were sent to SDJ's analyze. I sent this to Support but nothing conclusive came from their end... but I got asked if they could close the ticket twice....

Last weekend, I was DJ'ing on SDJ 1.9.6 again and I fortunately came across a file by accident that was shown as corrupted in SDJ and showed some erratic behaviour as well (stops suddenly, audio artefacts, and some more obscure sh*t as discovered later).
So, I then trawled my library for anything odd. And came across 30+ mp3 files (from all over the library of the 4000+ files I analyzed a week before), which on top of the 3 corrupted flac files, were all damaged and unusable (but still playable to some extend, which made this harder to catch) after SDJ altered them when analyzing (bpm & key)...

So - IF you analyze large batches of files in SDJ 1.9.6 make sure you double check the files afterwards!!!
Something fishy is going on there... and having files corrupted by software you work with and trust is probably as bad as it gets.
If anyone else has something like that happen to their files - please sing out and flag it with Serato Support asap!

Churs,.
c.

----------------------------------------------------------

Email to Support:

Hey Serato support,
here's 4 mp3 files.
2 that have become corrupted after analyzing in SDJ 1.9.6, plus their clean/uncorrupted counterparts from backup.

url

These are 2 examples of 30+ mp3 files that have become digital garbage after SDJ ran an analyze procedure on them (while processing a few thousand files - but, even if that's a "low percentage" that's 30+ files too many... ). Again, I tried to reproduce it, but as with the flac files, I suspect this is only showing its' head when processing a lot of files...

See what you can find - see if you can see anything odd in the GEOB frames.
Also check:
- one files' embedded artwork has become corrupted as well
- depending on the media player you chose, expect very different and erratic behaviour.
One files audio stream is "just" cut off from a certain point onwards, but still has time markers for some media players to show the correct length of the audio stream in waveform renders, just flat sections where there was sound previously and as soon as that is reached in playback it immediately stops.
The second much more obscure case is a file that now has parts of other tracks that were analyzed at the same time.... look at it in Ableton / WaveLab / Audacity and you'll see what I mean... there's silence inbetween each 'non silent' section (again, any media played I have tried jumps when it hits the 'silent'/flat bits in the audio stream), but with most, especially good ones and professional audio tools, you can jump to the later 'non silent' parts of the file, and suddenly there's audio from other files that were analyzed in SDJ at the same time...

This is utterly bizarre, and you can probably understand, after the last debacle with flac files & SDJ overwriting metadata I have painstakingly created, this now takes the cherry...

Let me know what you find.
Cheers.
c.