DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Hip Hop vs House

@WhoDjRu 7:59 PM - 15 December, 2012
This is my first Hip Hop vs House kinda mini mashup. I tried to take all the advice and criticism I was given. Feedback needed.
Here it is...
Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:12 PM - 15 December, 2012
im only 5 minutes in....its alot better!!! You still gotta long way to go but your headin in the right direction, i give a detailed breakdown when i finish it
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:15 PM - 15 December, 2012
ok im 6 minute in....
Quote:
im only 5 minutes in....its....better You still gotta long way to go but your headin in the right direction, i give a detailed breakdown when i finish it

fixed
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:16 PM - 15 December, 2012
what the hells goin on around the 6 minute mark...its like your playing a song with another song under it accidentially (its off beat and barley audable so i know he wasnt trying to do a mashup) then you slamwreck into another song......what was that underbeat about?
@WhoDjRu 8:23 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
what the hells goin on around the 6 minute mark...its like your playing a song with another song under it accidentially (its off beat and barley audable so i know he wasnt trying to do a mashup) then you slamwreck into another song......what was that underbeat about?

Thanks for the feedback. I think I went in a little to fast into the next song. Still working on trying to be patient when going into different songs!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:24 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I think I went in a little to fast into the next song. Still working on trying to be patient when going into different songs!

dude you did it AGAIN!!!! at 12:50 theres another DJs drop!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:25 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

ya the 2 things you need to prioritize at his point are 1) song structure...you still dont reall seem to have a grasp on when to bring in the next song 2) beat matching, i dont think your dropping these tracks on the first beat...are you using the pitch at all??
the_black_one 8:30 PM - 15 December, 2012
well..... at least he was not using sync
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:35 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:

ya i suppose that glass is half full lol
the_black_one 8:36 PM - 15 December, 2012
ay......

yep....
@WhoDjRu 8:38 PM - 15 December, 2012
I really am working on it. And you guys were ALL right. After I stopped putting so many mixes online and just kept working my skill and technique, the next one would be a BIG difference.

Quote:

That drop is from the song, I downloaded that song from a mixtape. All of this is me
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:41 PM - 15 December, 2012
Quote:
I really am working on it. And you guys were ALL right. After I stopped putting so many mixes online and just kept working my skill and technique, the next one would be a BIG difference.

Quote:

That drop is from the song, I downloaded that song from a mixtape. All of this is me

Regardless of the mix I can see a MASSIVE improvement in your attitude about the subject and your reaction to criticism. Thats probably the most important thing to develop early on because once you get that down everything else will come. Props on that!
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:48 PM - 15 December, 2012
can you post a tracklist?
@WhoDjRu 11:00 PM - 15 December, 2012
I will post a tracklist soon.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:56 AM - 16 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Please TURN ON SYNC! (Let's fill up that mutha fuckin' glass...)

I kinda started listening in the other thread where he siad DJRU is a beast and noticed this thread... And since he asked for "Feedback" here we go....

Seriously, I have been on the fence about this whole Sync and keeping it real thing. I've been playing vinyl for almost 30 years but DO I realize that controllers are here to stay, they have a sync feature - and in situations like this - you may as well use it - fuck it....

Instead of concentrating on holding the mix and working on his blends without sync, turn on sync and work on phrasing and programing.

Should he keep it real and sound crappy or turn on sync and have one less thing to worry about?

And Ru - you should listen to other peoples mixes so you can HEAR how proper phrasing and programing is done... Seems like you have the tunes (other than ones stolen from another DJs mix(tape)- you need to learn HOW to play 'em.

One good thing about you is that you don't mind putting your mixes out for critique - I always hated that, I have one that I need to take down because my sound quality went to shit.
DJRemixEnt 2:56 PM - 16 December, 2012
DJ Ru,

have you at least changed your position of your hands when you scratch??? thats prolly one of the first things i would get nipped in the bud, before you get too comfortable and it becomes harder to break that habit.

Watchwww.youtube.com

and if you are gonna be serious about this, you should prolly invest in some better quality music files, becuz once you see the light and actually start getting better, your gonna have to go back and replace your library with better quality music files... 320kbs mp3, wav, flac...etc.

There are plenty of threads on this forum with suggestions to some decent pools for ppl starting out.

it's best to go ahead and get good quality tracks now, because it will save you alot of headache later when you start getting booked for gigs (not anytime soon, youve still got alot to learn) lol... but you want to have the best sounding/quality files when you are out playing.

glad to see that you are practicing and asking for constructive feedback and not afraid to make room for improvement.

on the positive side... that transition into Kendrick Lamaar - Swimming Pools into Kanye & Big Sean - Clique was pretty smooth (23:50 on the video.)

search around and see if there are any decent dj's in your area, and see if they'll take you under their wing to teach you some of the tricks of the trade.
@WhoDjRu 1:42 AM - 17 December, 2012
Alright, I already try to get HQ music files through the program I use.

Quote:

phrasing and programing

What is that.....?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:23 AM - 17 December, 2012
Quote:

What program? You use a youtube ripper or something??

Quote:
Quote:
phrasing and programing

What is that.....?

Hard to explain but basically almost all music is based on Beats and Bars. If you listen to a song usually EVERY 32 beats something changes or happens - What you need to do is try and start mixing on the 1 beat and try and blend out by the 32 or maybe the 16 beat.

If you listen to the mix you posted - a lot of the blends end in the middle of words or you start somewhere in the middle of the hook so it loses energy.

I am trying to find a good example with the same type of music u played so you can hear proper phrasing ... I'll post up if I find a good one
DJRemixEnt 3:01 AM - 17 December, 2012
Quote:

Quote:
phrasing and programing

What is that.....?

Watchwww.youtube.com
dj_soo 3:22 AM - 17 December, 2012
Quote:

Quote:

don't do that - get the song from a pool or store or don't use it at all.

Having someone eles's drop in you mix is weak.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:12 AM - 17 December, 2012
Quote:

LOL, I am going to post up a example of phrasing on part of a mix that I did a while back but adding drops for that very reason....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:20 AM - 17 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

LOL, I am going to post up a example of phrasing on part of a mix that I did a while back but adding drops for that very reason....

30 minute rap mix - phrasing: www52.zippyshare.com
@WhoDjRu 12:46 AM - 22 December, 2012
I'll check it out @DJArtPumpinPayne

I'll check out those tuts.
@WhoDjRu 11:56 PM - 27 December, 2012
Anyone help wanna help me out?
DJRemixEnt 11:59 PM - 27 December, 2012
what's up Ru?
the_black_one 12:07 AM - 28 December, 2012
hey dude!!! just do like this guy!!! you will be golden !!! www.youtube.com!
djatrain@hotmail.com 12:19 AM - 28 December, 2012
My 2 cents. I clicked on it because it said house but only heard Top 40. That was a let down.
LMAO

But check it out: Turn off the auto sync if it is on, set your computer to stay on when the screen is closed, pick two different songs and practice beat matching. DO NOT LEARN BY LOOKING AT THE WAVE. Practice Practice Practice. You will get it, not over night but you will get it.

Then learn scratching and teach me.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:03 AM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
My 2 cents. I clicked on it because it said house but only heard Top 40. That was a let down.
LMAO

But check it out: Turn off the auto sync if it is on, set your computer to stay on when the screen is closed, pick two different songs and practice beat matching. DO NOT LEARN BY LOOKING AT THE WAVE. Practice Practice Practice. You will get it, not over night but you will get it.

Honestly he needs to take a step back from that point and start with phraseing and song structure before he gets into beat matching

here RU

Watchwww.youtube.com

play listen to that song, after the crazy big gibberish the first drum you hear, thats a kick drum, thats your first down beat, this is where you start counting, thats where your gona want to "drop" the track, always drop on the down beat and always drop your next song so your on the 1st beat

So from that beat you count

1 1 2 3
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

1 1 2 3
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

each of those is a beat and those beats make a bar. Thats where you get your BPM (beats per minute serato figures this out for you when you annalyse) so your gonna want to drop it on that 1

1 1 2 3
^ drop here
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

Now with rap generlly you go verse chorus verse chorus

the verse is them talking about whatever bullshit ghetto life their pretending to have
the chorus is the chatchy part people use to request songs

verse: im this bitch and im crazy new orleans reppin mind kinda hazy
chorus: drop it do some dumb shit drop it do some dumb shit
verse: im in this bitch to you dont have a clue i have on new shooes

(in this example most females will come to you and say "can you play do some dumb shit")

So what you want to do is mix it so the 1st verse of the next song comes in where the next verse on the last song ended

verse: this is a new song not that old shigt
chorus: look at me im a dj im a dj im a dj

Now when mixing you want to play songs with similar BPMs, so an 80 BPM song into another 80 or 81 82 83 84 85, then you use the pitch to speed up or slow down the new song (BEFORE DROPPING IT) so when you mix their the same speed.

Now you dont ALWAYS have to match BPM but if your just going to slam a track keep your structure

verse
chorus
verse
chorus

The 2 MAJOR problems you have is your trying to mix rap thats like 80 BPM with pop and house thats like 128 BPM, that wont mix so you def cant do that EVERY song, not only will it not mix but it changes the energy to much

So try hip hop hip hop hip hop pop pop pop

And even if you have to "Slam mix" (play 2 songs that wont mix) do so so its verse chorus verse chorus.

So for now learn this

1 1 2 3
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

1 1 2 3
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

start at the first down beat (kick drum) and count and pay attn to when the rappers rapping and and notice where they start the catchy repetitive hook
djatrain@hotmail.com 8:44 PM - 28 December, 2012
[quote

(in this example most females will come to you and say "can you play do some dumb shit")

So fuking true. To this day I mess with them and be like "Baby gurl, I need the title of the song." Then they say "Come on, you know that song."
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:31 PM - 28 December, 2012
Quote:
[quote

So fuking true. To this day I mess with them and be like "Baby gurl, I need the title of the song." Then they say "Come on, you know that song."

Atrain in the house!!!
@WhoDjRu 8:13 PM - 29 December, 2012
I honestly appreciate this feedback, I'm looking at some of it and making sense of it all. I'm going to keep listening to you guys, got my first club on Thursday
@WhoDjRu 5:30 AM - 2 January, 2013
Counting beats would be best to start on instruments and acapellas?
PorkyG 12:41 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:

Nearly spit my water out on the keyboard. Thank you! LOL
PorkyG 12:50 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:

Acapellas... find out the bpm of the non acapella version. If you're going to mesh instrumental and acapella you should know the key the original was played in.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:05 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:

It might be better to use a full track..then you can see how the track is structured with counting beats, where the count is when the chours and verses start
PorkyG 3:16 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

It might be better to use a full track..then you can see how the track is structured with counting beats, where the count is when the chours and verses start

^^^ That!!! +1

I think you're going too far by jumping into acapellas and instrumentals without knowing that. Learning the structure is pretty damn simple, every song has the same structure but not every song is the same so you have to listen and learn but hip hop all though the swing of the beat is different they all follow the same structure.
DJ GaFFle 3:23 PM - 2 January, 2013
This thread had me rollin' at first. Today is a different day compared to when I was train wrecking when first starting out. I'm glad RU is taking the initiative to post mixes and take critiques/advice. I miss seeing these types of threads. I'll listen to the mix in a few.
Papa Midnight 6:23 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:

Counting beats is the only way to go on instrumentals and acapellas...

Man, if there's one thing I hate, it's an acapella that comes from a release with a different pitch / tempo than the actual song / instrumental (50 Cent...).

Quote:
Quote:
LMAO

Honestly he needs to take a step back from that point and start with phraseing and song structure before he gets into beat matching

here RU

Watchwww.youtube.com

play listen to that song, after the crazy big gibberish the first drum you hear, thats a kick drum, thats your first down beat, this is where you start counting, thats where your gona want to "drop" the track, always drop on the down beat and always drop your next song so your on the 1st beat

So from that beat you count

1 1 2 3
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

1 1 2 3
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

each of those is a beat and those beats make a bar. Thats where you get your BPM (beats per minute serato figures this out for you when you annalyse) so your gonna want to drop it on that 1

1 1 2 3
^ drop here
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

Now with rap generlly you go verse chorus verse chorus

the verse is them talking about whatever bullshit ghetto life their pretending to have
the chorus is the chatchy part people use to request songs

verse: im in this bitch to you dont have a clue i have on new shooes

So what you want to do is mix it so the 1st verse of the next song comes in where the next verse on the last song ended

Now when mixing you want to play songs with similar BPMs, so an 80 BPM song into another 80 or 81 82 83 84 85, then you use the pitch to speed up or slow down the new song (BEFORE DROPPING IT) so when you mix their the same speed.

Now you dont ALWAYS have to match BPM but if your just going to slam a track keep your structure

verse
chorus
verse
chorus

The 2 MAJOR problems you have is your trying to mix rap thats like 80 BPM with pop and house thats like 128 BPM, that wont mix so you def cant do that EVERY song, not only will it not mix but it changes the energy to much

So try hip hop hip hop hip hop pop pop pop

And even if you have to "Slam mix" (play 2 songs that wont mix) do so so its verse chorus verse chorus.

So for now learn this

1 1 2 3
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

1 1 2 3
2 1 2 3
3 1 2 3
4 1 2 3

start at the first down beat (kick drum) and count and pay attn to when the rappers rapping and and notice where they start the catchy repetitive hook

This may be one of the better explanations to counting beats I've ever seen... and it came from M Bezzle... damn. :P

The way I learned (and has stuck with me from my old Fruity Loops days) was 1-2-3-4. Always drop on the one, as I learned. Once you have these basics down, you can take it anywhere (i.e.: vocal intros, 1 bar intros, half-beat intros, etc.).

So I went ahead and listened... to the whole thing.

I've said it before... and I'll say it again...

...and again, lose that drop. Also, no more grabbing music from YouTube. No one should ever be doing that. No one. Period.

First song was poorly leveled. Not sure where it came from, but the vocals were pretty drowned out.

Mix at 1:30 was a bit off. Maybe by 1 measure. Not bad though. Covered up well.

Second song sounded a lot better.

3:00 Min

4:30 - That damn drop has got to go. It especially doesn't mesh with "F*** N****s" 10x in a row.

5:25 - I suggest learning to put your hands on the opposite sides of the deck. It's a bad habit that should be broken before it sets in. you'll be happy you did.

5:40 - Loop out was off beat. Remember, on the one. beat coming in also sounds off tempo.

5:57 - Throwing a drop in does not cover up a trainwreck. No offense, but don't make it a habit.

6:07 - Drop should never play over vocals. Slam in an instrumental real quickly then cut back or play over the intro / breaks only.

6:47 - Off beat. Remember, tempo correctly.

7:28 - Never bring in vocals over vocals. Especially when it's off beat as it is. Also, programming is everything. You don't have to pre-plan a set, but Lil Jon after that? :S

7:31 - Again. Do not use drops to cover up mixes. That's not how you mix and it's a crutch.

8:02 - Drop over vocals again.

8:34 - Drop over vocals + clashing vocals. If you're going to have to do transitions like this, get 8b intro tracks, and/or learn the Super Filter.

10:00 - The drop over vocals...

10:40 - Something about this sounded entirely wrong.

10:44 - Ah, that's what it was. Off beat, and off key.

through 12:00 - The slam cut on "strippers" was not working during the chorus.

12:04 - Bad timing on the echo. The drop didn't work either.

12:40 - Other DJ! Sounds like a mix-tape drop. Never, ever use these. Doesn't matter if this means you won't have the song. NEVER use these.

13:29 - I know what I said about mix-tape drops, but you used your drop to cover one up here... and tried to do the same about 10 seconds later. No bueno.

14:17 - Second this blend started, it was off beat. Learn those 1-2-3-4 counts,

I stopped listening at this point.
Quote:
Quote:

Please TURN ON SYNC!
I'm sorry to say, this may be the better way to go. At least till you get your counts right. Then we can worry about tempo matching. Since you seem to stay in that same dirty south trap music range, this shouldn't be a problem.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:11 PM - 2 January, 2013
Good stuff ^
DJ JT Stevens 7:15 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Please TURN ON SYNC!
I'm sorry to say, this may be the better way to go. At least till you get your counts right. Then we can worry about tempo matching. Since you seem to stay in that same dirty south trap music range, this shouldn't be a problem.

Only thing I'd be worried about here is that he might never turn it off and then he'll never bother to learn proper beatmatching. But you're right, getting the counting and phrasing correct first is the way to go. Great info from both you and Bezzle.

And I agree, that baby voice drop has to go Ru. Sorry to say it, especially if it's your little niece or nephew or something, but that's one of the worst drops I've ever heard. You seem to use drops a lot in general; I would personally try to cut back on those and make sure you don't use them to cover up bad mixes like Papa Midnight mentioned.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:18 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Please TURN ON SYNC!

Somebody else said the EXACT same thing above - go figure... Great minds?

Quote:
Please TURN ON SYNC! (Let's fill up that mutha fuckin' glass...)

: )
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:27 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Only thing I'd be worried about here is that he might never turn it off and then he'll never bother to learn proper beatmatching.

He's using a controller and Controllers aren't going away - fuck it -

That train has left the station, horse is out of the barn, that rubber has broke...

Time to just deal with it. If he learns phrasing and song structure - hate to say it but physical beatmatching is REALLY becoming secondary...

Back in the day I used to do edits on a Reel to Reel with Splicing Tape and a Grease Pencil... That shit is NEVER coming back.

Sad to say 3 -5 years from now sync will be the standard - nobody will give a fuck about keeping it real anymore - just saying...
DJ JT Stevens 7:36 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Sad to say 3 -5 years from now sync will be the standard - nobody will give a fuck about keeping it real anymore - just saying...

I hear ya man, trust me. It's a great skill to have but you're right, no one cares but us DJ's.
Papa Midnight 8:14 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I hear ya man, trust me. It's a great skill to have but you're right, no one cares but us DJ's.

If only we could get Akiem to understand this...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:17 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Only thing I'd be worried about here is that he might never turn it off and then he'll never bother to learn proper beatmatching.

That train has left the station, horse is out of the barn, that rubber has broke...

Time to just deal with it. If he learns phrasing and song structure - hate to say it but physical beatmatching is REALLY becoming secondary...

Back in the day I used to do edits on a Reel to Reel with Splicing Tape and a Grease Pencil... That shit is NEVER coming back.

Thats well and good but why limit yourself...it may in fact be his tech does it for him but what if he gets a reality show...blows up...gets booked in vegas and they have cds and a soundguy with a machette watching for his hands to start unhooking stuff
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:18 PM - 2 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Also he in particular needs to at least understand the principles of beatmatchin because in this mix hes goin from 80 bpm track to 128 bpm track in every other mix
DJ GaFFle 8:28 PM - 2 January, 2013
This dude's web presence is better than mine (30 minute Youtube page, several web video mixes, professional drops). Some good mix advice on here. Nice explanation from Bezzle.
dj_soo 7:23 AM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Acapellas... find out the bpm of the non acapella version. If you're going to mesh instrumental and acapella you should know the key the original was played in.

not really, you just have to listen and not be tone deaf.

sadly, a lot of DJs seem to be tone deaf.
PorkyG 12:03 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

not really, you just have to listen and not be tone deaf.

sadly, a lot of DJs seem to be tone deaf.

It's one in the same, if you don't know how to identify and label the key it is played in but you can hear what goes then you're hearing the keys just not knowing what key it is.
AKIEM 10:18 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not understand what exactly?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:35 PM - 3 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly
AKIEM 2:07 AM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly

I never said sync won't be standard.
(Ignorance:)
Papa Midnight 3:07 AM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly

Well... the ship definitely sailed before Akiem made it to the port...
AKIEM 6:49 AM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly

Well... the ship definitely sailed before Akiem made it to the port side.

Where he he walked up behind this Papa dude and tossed his ass overboard.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:35 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly

Where he he walked up behind this Papa dude and tossed his ass.

Papa Midnight 2:55 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly

Where he he walked up behind this Papa dude and tossed his ass.

Pause....
AKIEM 3:38 PM - 4 January, 2013
Its ok if you fellas are gay. Please keep your fantasies to to yourself tho.

(Internet security)
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:42 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Its ok if you fellas are gay.

.....obviously
AKIEM 4:25 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

.....obviously

You forgot the second part. If you fellas want to continue with your homosexual fantasies with each other please do it in a private message, leave me out of it. You are lucky to be online where you have the security to get away with your homosexual herrasments.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:28 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

.....obviously

You forgot the second part. If you fellas want to continue with your homosexual fantasies with each other please private message me. You are lucky to be online where you have the security to do it privatley .

AKIEM 4:33 PM - 4 January, 2013
Like I said, online safe.
AKIEM 4:34 PM - 4 January, 2013
You forgot the second part. If you fellas want to continue with your homosexual fantasies with each other please do it in a private message, leave me out of it. You are lucky to be online where you have the security to get away with your homosexual herrasments.
Papa Midnight 5:58 PM - 4 January, 2013
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:01 PM - 4 January, 2013
Y'all pushing Akiem's buttons (inside joke - nh)
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:35 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Y'all pushing Akiem's buttons (inside joke - nh)

I see what you did there
AKIEM 7:24 PM - 4 January, 2013
If you fellas want to continue with your homosexual fantasies with each other please do it in a private message, leave me out of it. You are lucky to be online where you have the security to get away with your homosexual herrasments and comments.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:27 PM - 4 January, 2013
Yup akiems def off his meds again
AKIEM 7:36 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:

I'm sure some of you cases are actually on medication in here. I've never been prescribed anything more then an eye drop.

I guess that was a couple hours you guys left me alone and 'entertained' yourself inside PM. I suggest you do it more often, leave me out of it.
(what happens inside PM, stays inside... Well you know what I mean)

Nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:46 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure some of you cases are actually on medication in here. I've never been prescribed anything more then an eye drop.

Well then put your eyedrops in, you trippin.

Either that or tell your girlfriend to log outta your account lol
PorkyG 7:57 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well then put your eyedrops in, you trippin.

Either that or tell your girlfriend to log outta your account lol

In some conditions eye drops contain drugs in them and are used for recreational purposes... true story.
latindj 8:13 PM - 4 January, 2013
Akiem, never argue with fools...
AKIEM 8:24 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Akiem, never argue with fools...

you advice is good
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:31 PM - 4 January, 2013
AKIEM 8:42 PM - 4 January, 2013
making shit up
Papa Midnight 8:42 PM - 4 January, 2013
Akiem: docs.google.com
Feel free to fill that out.
AKIEM 8:49 PM - 4 January, 2013
like I said online bravery

I have already advised you to keep your homosexual to yourselves.
latindj 8:59 PM - 4 January, 2013
Papa? Since when do you stoop to this level? SMH

We are all here for a common cause...and that is not to berate one another. It's a new year. Let's make it a better one. What says you?
AKIEM 9:03 PM - 4 January, 2013
I dont even have any history with this fool - now he's on my dick?
aight whatever - dudes got try to make a name for themselves I guess.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:11 PM - 4 January, 2013
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:12 PM - 4 January, 2013
AKIEM 9:23 PM - 4 January, 2013
making shit up
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:25 PM - 4 January, 2013
Anyone remeber what we were arguing about originally
DJ JT Stevens 9:27 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:

Whether or not Ru should use sync. My comment actually indirectly started the whole thing, haha.

My bad.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:33 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Whether or not Ru should use sync. My comment actually indirectly started the whole thing, haha.

My bad.

MCFLLLLYYYYY
Papa Midnight 10:09 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
Papa? Since when do you stoop to this level? SMH

We are all here for a common cause...and that is not to berate one another. It's a new year. Let's make it a better one. What says you?

Stoop? You have me wrong. I'm sorry, I was under the impression this was all one long running joke?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My bad.

MCFLLLLYYYYY

Buuuuuueeeeeellllleeerrrrrrr!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:30 PM - 4 January, 2013
Quote:
I was under the impression this was all one long running joke?

In sooo many ways it is lol
AKIEM 6:22 PM - 5 January, 2013
I dont see the part where I am "mad" or "complaining".

(dudes be fantasizing)
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:15 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:

(dudes be fantasizing)

you still complaining
AKIEM 8:20 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

(dudes be fantasizing)

you still complaining

oh I see - talking about some shit is "complaining" - that explains dumb shit for years
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:27 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(dudes be fantasizing)

you still complaining

oh I see - talking about some shit is "complaining" - that explains dumb shit for years

you still mad to
AKIEM 8:28 PM - 5 January, 2013
mad at what?
AKIEM 8:28 PM - 5 January, 2013
exactly
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:29 PM - 5 January, 2013
Thats what were here today to figure out, why dont you have a seat on that couch and well get started
AKIEM 8:30 PM - 5 January, 2013
ah - so you dont actually KNOW - you are just eh, guessing?
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:33 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
AKIEM 8:37 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

yup - you were guessing and hopping
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:40 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yup - you were guessing and hopping

you the one mad how the fuck am i supposed to know why
AKIEM 8:50 PM - 5 January, 2013
sigh - did I ask "why"? no

I said "what"?

for whatever reason, I guess you want me to be mad about something.
Im guessing you thought I was mad, as in reading shit into my words that just wasnt there.

rif
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:56 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:

then thats a great starting point, akiem WHY ARE you mad?
AKIEM 9:07 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

then thats a great starting point, akiem WHY ARE you mad?

no - the real question is - why you THINK I am?
but the better question is - why do you WISH me to be?

if I am MAD, it should be easy to just quote the words showing it, thats what we do around here quote shit right?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:08 PM - 5 January, 2013
Quote:

if I am MAD, it should be easy to just quote the words showing it, thats what we do around here quote shit right?

Quote:
I am MAD
AKIEM 9:09 PM - 5 January, 2013
exactly - naithin

sigh [nm]
@WhoDjRu 1:53 AM - 10 January, 2013
So I get a chance to DJ a club this month. I plan on using some songs from this mix though in my setlist. Any tips on keeping a crowd going for 5 hours straight?
I've DJ'ed for over 5 hours before, but not for a club where people dance the whole time.. ughhhhhh
the_black_one 2:21 AM - 10 January, 2013
Djing for a dance floor vs djing at a bar or a lounge... Programming son!!! Get your game up.
Papa Midnight 2:22 AM - 10 January, 2013
sigh...

Let's get some questions out the way first. These are all important so please answer as truthfully as possible:

What time does the club open?
What time does the club close?
What is the cut-off time that alcoholic beverages can be served in the municipality / state who's jurisdiction the establishment falls under (Yes, this matters)?
What Night?
Minimum Entry Age?
Music Type?
Have you been to this club before?
If yes to the above, what time do the doors open (differs from what time does the club open)?
If yes to the above, what time do patrons tend to arrive?
(If no to the above, go to the club to see what other DJs are playing.)
Club or Bar?
How popular is the club?
What kind of music are you planning to play?
AKIEM 2:31 AM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:
So I get a chance to DJ a club this month. I plan on using some songs from this mix though in my setlist. Any tips on keeping a crowd going for 5 hours straight?
I've DJ'ed for over 5 hours before, but not for a club where people dance the whole time.. ughhhhhh

there is no easy answer other then - dont fuck up.

the real answer is - read the crowd or know the crowd, prepare and play accordingly

some crowds easy to rock by slamming bangers all night even repeating shit - other crowds arnt having that mess.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:38 AM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:
Any tips on keeping a crowd going for 5 hours straight?

Read the crowd and go for longevity or the long haul....

It's like fucking - don't blow your wad all in the first few minutes...

Try and think a few tunes ahead and do a road map... Don't do back to back straight bangers unless it's peak hour...

If you are playing Bandz to Make her Dance and need to get to Birthday Song - how many songs can you play in between and not lose more than 10-20% of your floor or energy

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - TRY NOT TO TRAINWRECK ALL NIGHT....
AKIEM 3:46 AM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:
Read the crowd and go for longevity or the long haul....

yet - if this is a young crowd - you might want to crack it off with early bangers you can repeat.

some of these young crowds are super impatient and you can drop the hot shit early till they are with you - then mess around with some other shit then play those bangers again

wasnt till last year that I ever tried playing the same shit twice, even three times like fuck it - whatever works
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:01 AM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:
yet - if this is a young crowd - you might want to crack it off with early bangers you can repeat.

this is true, don't be afraid to play hitz early (road map = banger - new song, classic, new song, banger... repeat) and then you can go back to back to back bangers during peak hour....

What I meant was if you are playing a verse or two and out with back to back bangers - you are gonna blow thru all your hot shit in a less than a hour before 11pm

you can also BREAK a new song that you like by playing SEVERAL times during the night
AKIEM 4:26 AM - 10 January, 2013
yup

older crowds like a major peak toward the end as long as they have fun on the way

younger crowds - like their favorite shit all the time and are okay with other shit between

(then you got dumb crowds who want like the same 30 cuts all night and will think you suck if you play even one cut they dont love - and if you are lucky these crowds dont care if you play the whole record and/or train wreck)
Esco... 4:28 AM - 10 January, 2013
At least this guy is taking the advice. We have a DJ Facebook group for Djs in our area. Dude posted a video trainwrecking every transition. So I decided to break down his errors and what to practice. (Audio1 did the same for me, so I'm trying to pass it forward and help others). I told him he needs to learn the concept of beatmatching & BPMs. He mixed from Mercy to Do My dance to Bandz without ever touching the pitch sliders.

His response was that he knows how to mix tracks, but in a club the mix will sound different than something recorded in a bedroom. Apparently, in the club he "feeds off the crowd on what to play next" but because he doesn't have that in a bedroom it's hard for him to quick mix tracks. ????? I was dumbfounded, so I tried to break it down more.

In conclusion, I gave up on trying to help. Someone who doesn't want to take advice is helpless. Just one more incompetent DJ in my area who won't be any competition.
Papa Midnight 5:19 AM - 10 January, 2013
Esco: That's why I stopped trying to tell this one guy who does have a club residency (albeit, for crap pay) that Make Me Proud does not blend with Drop It Low. I've tried my best to pay forward that which I learned from the guy who trained me and even from my own experience (best to teach someone so they don't make the same mistakes I did), but some people just don't want to hear it. I remember trying to teach one girl who wanted to DJ, but she just didn't want to mix properly. It was just trainwreck city.

You cannot help people who do not want to be helped. I'll at least say I get the feeling that this guy wants to be helped.

Quote:
yup

older crowds like a major peak toward the end as long as they have fun on the way

younger crowds - like their favorite shit all the time and are okay with other shit between

(then you got dumb crowds who want like the same 30 cuts all night and will think you suck if you play even one cut they dont love - and if you are lucky these crowds dont care if you play the whole record and/or train wreck)

You'll note that I covered this when I asked who he's playing for.

I really am curious to know if he's ever been to the club he's been booked for. I'd hate to play at a club without having some kind of idea as to what crowd is going to be in there.
Esco... 5:54 AM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:
Esco: That's why I stopped trying to tell this one guy who does have a club residency (albeit, for crap pay) that Make Me Proud does not blend with Drop It Low. I've tried my best to pay forward that which I learned from the guy who trained me and even from my own experience (best to teach someone so they don't make the same mistakes I did), but some people just don't want to hear it. I remember trying to teach one girl who wanted to DJ, but she just didn't want to mix properly. It was just trainwreck city.

You cannot help people who do not want to be helped. I'll at least say I get the feeling that this guy wants to be helped.

Quote:
yup

I play Saturdays, and this other DJ plays Friday (not the same guy I was initially talking about) . I took the time to go to his house, I set my stuff up with his next to mind and tried to explain basic beatmatching. I sent his the sources I used to learn about phrasing. This was at least 4 months ago. I don't think he's made any progress whatsoever. Every time I go out on Fridays its.. play the track till the end, and at times he does try to mix in from the last chorus.. but going from Saxobeat to Salt Shaker doesn't work. One time I heard him do a perfect mix from Only Girl to Shots I believe and it sounded flawless. Definitely luck. Every time I ask if he's been practicing anything lately, he says he hasn't had time. I mean, if you download a track you plan on playing out, at least try mixing into it and out of it once. That alone would help tremendously. I started playing out 7 months ago, and practiced my ass of in the bedroom for 2 years. I was too scared to perform in public and trainwreck. This is why I love the serato forums. People who really love the craft are hard to come by in real life.

I really am curious to know if he's ever been to the club he's been booked for. I'd hate to play at a club without having some kind of idea as to what crowd is going to be in there.
AKIEM 8:15 AM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
yup

Note: I was telling, you where asking.

Quote:

eh - whoever asked him should know what he plays
Papa Midnight 2:40 PM - 10 January, 2013
I think you missed my point.

If he doesn't know how to cover a crowd for 5 hours, he's probably not ready for the gig.

If he doesn't know the crowd that's going to be there, he's already set himself up for failure.

Quote:

Was this sarcasm?

For the right price, many a club / bar will hire just about anyone off the street.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:16 PM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:

If he doesn't know how to cover a crowd for 5 hours, he's probably not ready for the gig.

Personally i thought his total lack of understanding of bpm, song structure, phrasing, blending, eqing, energy flow, and his youtube song library were all stronger suggestions as to why hes not ready but hey im old school lol
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:30 PM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:
Personally i thought his total lack of understanding of bpm, song structure, phrasing, blending, eqing, energy flow, and his youtube song library were all stronger suggestions as to why hes not ready but hey im old school lol

+fuckin 1000
AKIEM 4:49 PM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:

If he doesn't know the crowd that's going to be there, he's already set himself up for failure.

Obviously - looked to me more like you wanted him to answer a list of questions.

You can ask a hundred of your questions and not hit on anything that matters.

Quote:
Quote:

Was this sarcasm?

For the right price, many a club / bar will hire just about anyone off the street.

Sarcasm? - no

Obviously some clubs/promoters have 0 standards... so?

pm- if you are going to inform me on some shit try saying some shit Ive probably never heard of.
Papa Midnight 7:57 PM - 10 January, 2013
Apparently Akiem wants to ride every post of mine. Whatever.

Quote:
Quote:

You forgot that damn baby drop.
AKIEM 8:09 PM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:
Apparently Akiem wants to ride every post of mine. Whatever.

woo, a couple posts

wait - who said my name in this thread I didnt even say anything in?
Papa Midnight 10:22 PM - 10 January, 2013
<(´ ロ`')o
...sigh...
AKIEM 10:48 PM - 10 January, 2013
have no idea what thats supposed to look like - try again
DJRemixEnt 11:55 PM - 10 January, 2013
Quote:

^^this
Papa Midnight 11:55 PM - 10 January, 2013
σ(゚・゚*)
...I said what it was.
AKIEM 12:14 AM - 11 January, 2013
oh, its a sync button
carry on...
Papa Midnight 1:01 AM - 11 January, 2013
Well, if that's what you want to think it is, who am I to disagree? Perhaps everything right is the sync buttons Perhaps everything wrong is the sync button. Perhaps everything simply is the sync button. I suppose in this instance, from your perspective, it is always the sync button.

┐(-。ー;)┌
AKIEM 1:11 AM - 11 January, 2013
let me know when you finger is tired

近义词

[nm]
Papa Midnight 1:59 AM - 11 January, 2013
ヽ(ω` )ノ
ヽ(´ω`)ノ
ヽ(´ω)ノ

So, wonder if he did actually take that gig.... or if he even read anything in here.
AKIEM 2:10 AM - 11 January, 2013
tell you what - go ahead and ask him some more of your "when do the doors open" type questions - lets see if you can help the fella out

[nm]
Papa Midnight 2:21 AM - 11 January, 2013
I've asked all my questions. Other people have offered him advice too. The onus is no longer (and never was) upon me.
AKIEM 2:57 AM - 11 January, 2013
obvioulsy
Papa Midnight 3:19 AM - 11 January, 2013
Obviously? But is it obvious? It is only apparent to those who believe it to be apparent. It is neither there nor is it not there. The idea of a subject being obvious is just that: subjective. Therefore, in your opinion, it is obvious. What is obvious? No one knows. Not even you. You are just more likely to know than the rest. Some may seek to know what is obvious in order to align their thought process with your own. Of course, there are those who relish in their own process of thought which does not align with yours.

Zen ヽ(*・ω・)ノ
the_black_one 3:45 AM - 11 January, 2013
Fuck is up wit all them signs... GTFOH wit that!!! #GOSPURSGO
AKIEM 9:09 AM - 11 January, 2013
I woulda already smacked this kid across the set, straight up.

Go press ur sync button, and stolen drops...

Done
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:46 AM - 11 January, 2013
i want to get the japaneese symbol for sync tattooed on me, anyone know what that symbol it
Papa Midnight 12:14 AM - 12 January, 2013
Akiem is amusing, lol.

Bezzle: There technically is no Japanese word for Sync. The closest translation to it is 同期
@WhoDjRu 1:31 AM - 20 January, 2013
Quote:
sigh...

Let's get some questions out the way first. These are all important so please answer as truthfully as possible:

What is the cut-off time that alcoholic beverages can be served in the municipality / state who's jurisdiction the establishment falls under (Yes, this matters)?
What Night?
Minimum Entry Age?
Music Type?
If yes to the above, what time do the doors open (differs from what time does the club open)?
Club or Bar?
How popular is the club?

Well its actually 2 clubs now I have to do one on this Monday night too!
1st club
1. opens at like 8? and closes at like 4. But I come in at 11 to 2.
2. Alcohol all night long, age is 21+
3. A local night club
4. They requests Hip Hop, Rap, Pop, reggae, Go Go, but like 2 Chainz, futures, etc
5. Club is expected over 150 people or more so not big
6. Planning to play what I was asked and throw in a little of my own stuff of course. They found me from my Youtube videos.

2nd Club
1. Opens at like 8 or 9 until 4 I think? I will also be the last DJ to perform that night after a 2 or 3 DJs.
Alcohol all night long I think, its a know lounge
4. Known Lounge supported by HOT 107.9, I'll give all club names after I perform
5. Club is expected 300-600 people I was told
6. Want me to read crowd, they were not descriptive on any selections so I will come an hour early to listen to the other DJs.

I'm pretty confident but I do need advice from people who have been here before! both events are this month and I was told by both that club owners and many promoters will be present so I have to go OFF!
@WhoDjRu 9:37 PM - 20 January, 2013
I dont see problem with the Baby drop. ALL the hoes love it. I'm going to get another made though.. Still need more suggestions by the way !!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:11 AM - 21 January, 2013
Quote:
I dont see problem with the Baby drop. ALL the hoes love it. I'm going to get another made though.. Still need more suggestions by the way !!

I dont think its the drop as much as it is your dropping it 500 times per track...sometimes less is better
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:45 AM - 21 January, 2013
Quote:
I dont think its the drop as much as it is your dropping it 500 times per track.

ay
+1
yep
Papa Midnight 4:43 AM - 21 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I dont think its the drop as much as it is your dropping it 500 times per track.

ay
+1
yep

ay
+2
yep
DJ GOOK 5:27 PM - 21 January, 2013
sounds like his pay for both clubs is free drinks all night. SMH
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:56 PM - 21 January, 2013
Quote:

Hes not 21, thats gonna be alot of soda
djatrain@hotmail.com 9:12 PM - 21 January, 2013
Good luck yo. But try not to use the sync button, its like cheating. LOL
Papa Midnight 10:46 PM - 21 January, 2013
Quote:

I donno... some dudes need the sync button.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:50 PM - 21 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Thats the problem
dj_soo 10:58 PM - 21 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Some dudes shouldn't be Djing but I guess that ship has long sailed
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:26 AM - 22 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I donno... some this dude needs the sync button.

+1 (again - no dis - i think he should leave on sync for moment - work on phrasing...)
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:27 AM - 22 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I donno... some this dude needs the sync button.

+1 (again - no dis - i think he should leave on sync for moment - work on phrasing...)

True story
AKIEM 6:29 PM - 22 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I donno... some dudes (like myself) need the sync button.

True story
Papa Midnight 12:42 AM - 23 January, 2013
Whatever helps you sleep at night, Akiem.
AKIEM 8:30 AM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:

ur moms does. thanks:)
[nm]
Papa Midnight 3:29 PM - 25 January, 2013
Wow, a mom joke. Real mature. Only took you 2½ days to come up with it too.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:55 PM - 25 January, 2013
Quote:

Rotfl.
AKIEM 7:41 PM - 26 January, 2013
Quote:

2.5 days ur moms was at service - no interruptions please my son.
(LOL-this guy said "mature"-LOL)

off beat cue taps - sync button fix - stolen generic drops - go!

(nm)
Papa Midnight 8:03 PM - 26 January, 2013
I'm not even going to dignify that one with a response, primarily because none of it is true, but mostly because I realize that AKIEM is an ass with a side-touch of grandiose delusions (and possibly some craziness to go with it).

AKIEM, I cannot stop you from acting an ass; and should you wish to continue to set up shop on my nuts, then I cannot stop you from doing so (though I wouldn't mind that you pay rent). I'll just be the bigger man here and ignore you, especially on another person's topic.

Moving right along...

To address @WhoDJRu, sounds like you've got the closing spot on that Up-To-600 Club. Good luck. I'm going to recommend you head down there and watch how other DJs handle the club on that night (and other nights for that matter) and how the crowd reacts.

Also, take our advice on this one: Avoid that baby drop. You may like it, but trust me, avoid it.

Work on your programming and mixing. Get those mixes going smoothly from track to track. Get your counts right as well so you're dropping on the 1 and not on the 4 (1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8)).
AKIEM 8:20 PM - 26 January, 2013
^LOL
AKIEM 8:28 PM - 26 January, 2013
PMs advice, avoid the baby drops, use stolen generic weak sounding radio voice guy drops as much as possible, you know the ones without your name on them and where your name goes you are suposed to splice your name in but you are too dumb to even do that. Get your count right, you might want to count 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 outloud like he does. Then even when you hit the cue off beat you can fix it with a sync button real quick and act like you got some mixing skills.
FabulousFrequencies 12:55 AM - 27 January, 2013
I swore i'd only 'read' this side of the forum from now on, but I could probably offer some guidance? I hate to see people thrown to the wolves and going into gigs this fast.. Jesus.. Some things should be said.

First, let me just get this out of the way: I love you DJ RU! You're my wifeys favorite DJ!

I honestly don't think you're ready for a gig. That said, you feel ready or you wouldn't have accepted them so there's no talking you out of it and I dig it. So if you're gonna jump into a pool full of water you should learn a few swim moves before ya sink.

1) Ditch the drops for your gigs. ALL of them. yeah, I know 'bitches love the kid' but it does not reflect a professional on any level. Please just keep it to music and 'announcements' for MIC presence if these are your first gigs. Typically these drops, when 'tastefully' used are for online broadcasts and uploaded mixes to simply identify you with the mix and help prevent basic digital hijacking of your work. Ask yourself when you have ever heard such a thing played in a live gig, anywhere.

2) You really should learn music structure so you can decide where it's safe to cut and what the best approach is for each cut in particular. That said, i've seen plenty of bar DJ's just x-fade from track to track, backspin tracks in, etc, and get away with it and the crowd is just as happy. If I had a choice between hearing you wreck your face off trying to mix, or just hearing my favorite tracks faded in back to back; i'll take the fades. It's safe to say most of us have been on both sides of the dance floor, ask yourself which you would prefer. You're being paid to entertain, not blend and mash. Those are skills that are great to have, but it's better to just get the job done right than go half way on it and drive people out of the building. If you can't get it together by the set, don't try it live. Song selection and using it wisely will be your best friend right about now.

3) Recovery.. Recovery.. Recovery... If you wreck.. or your equipment fails.. or the midi drops out.. Or some groupie leans over the booth divider and one of her tittys falls out onto a platter.. etc.. etc.. etc.. It's what you do next that means the world of difference. Think your recovery plan through for the possible situations that could arise. I didn't see this mentioned here yet. Plan a very 'fail safe' evening for you and your crowd. Doubtful the titty scenario will play out, but if it does write your digits on it and ask her to remove it kindly.

4) Keep 'em moving. The more they move, the more they sweat. The more they sweat, the more they thirst. The more they thirst, the more drinks they buy. This is how bars make money, FYI. Bonus points if you keep them steady until drink specials are OVER, and THEN throw nothing but heaters at them to boost overpriced drink sales.

5) How do you intend to take a piss? Whip up some 15 minute mixes that'll fit right in and keep them handy so you can walk away if you have to. They also help with equipment failures, but you'll learn that another time.

6) Take a clean white towel, keep it in your back pocket. You'll know why 30 minutes to an hour in. Don't abandon your post unless you have to and don't get caught up talking to hoes hanging over the booth divider. It's distracting and those tittys will cost you. I'm not kidding!

Be there as a professional presence, do your job, play it safe, and pray you make it out alive. They might ask you back. Good luck dude.

- Matt
Papa Midnight 4:31 AM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
1) Ditch the drops for your gigs. ALL of them. yeah, I know 'bitches love the kid' but it does not reflect a professional on any level. Please just keep it to music and 'announcements' for MIC presence if these are your first gigs. Typically these drops, when 'tastefully' used are for online broadcasts and uploaded mixes to simply identify you with the mix and help prevent basic digital hijacking of your work. Ask yourself when you have ever heard such a thing played in a live gig, anywhere.

This is what we have been saying.

Quote:
2) You really should learn music structure so you can decide where it's safe to cut and what the best approach is for each cut in particular.

Programming is everything.

Quote:
5) How do you intend to take a piss?

Drop a hot track and run :p

Quote:
6) Take a clean white towel, keep it in your back pocket. You'll know why 30 minutes to an hour in. Don't abandon your post unless you have to and don't get caught up talking to hoes hanging over the booth divider. It's distracting and those tittys will cost you. I'm not kidding!

@TheDJGospel
AKIEM 8:29 PM - 27 January, 2013
Say PM, appreciate you SingTFU like ur supposed to. Shouldn't have even brought me up in this thread in the first place. And as for my crazy delusions of grander, I guarantee you vastly underestimate.

@DJRU, the fact that you can even get a gig with your first day beginner type skills just proves how fucked up the game is. My advice WOULD be to stay at home and get your skills up before even calling yourself a DJ let alone take a gig. But now adays it's anything goes.
Papa Midnight 9:14 PM - 27 January, 2013
"I can ride my bike with no handlebars... no handlebars... no handlebars."
"I can ride my bike with no handlebars... no handlebars... no handlebars..."
Papa Midnight 9:31 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
They also help with equipment failures, but you'll learn that another time.

Just a thought, FabulousFrequencies, but is it not best to learn this sooner than later? After all...

Quote:
3) Recovery.. Recovery.. Recovery... If you wreck.. or your equipment fails.. or the midi drops out.. Or some groupie leans over the booth divider and one of her tittys falls out onto a platter.. etc.. etc.. etc.. It's what you do next that means the world of difference. Think your recovery plan through for the possible situations that could arise. I didn't see this mentioned here yet. Plan a very 'fail safe' evening for you and your crowd. Doubtful the titty scenario will play out, but if it does write your digits on it and ask her to remove it kindly.

The way someone manages and handles a failure of equipment is everything. Whether it be a quick friendly jab with the bouncer or the bartender, extending the party for no charge (if mobile), taking a nice shot at the local power utility (it happens sometimes), etc.

I say always have a separate audio player with a line directly into the mixer (this is why I use outboard mixers) with an emergency mix that is no more than a few weeks old just in case.
FabulousFrequencies 9:35 PM - 27 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
They also help with equipment failures, but you'll learn that another time.

Just a thought, FabulousFrequencies, but is it not best to learn this sooner than later? After all...

I agree, I just wasn't planning to cover it in the scope of my post. I was just chipping in something to help. Maybe you or another user could cover the sort of things you do in those situations.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:25 PM - 28 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
sigh...

What Night?
Minimum Entry Age?
Music Type?
Club or Bar?
How popular is the club?

Well its actually 2 clubs now I have to do one on this Monday night too!
1st club
1. opens at like 8? and closes at like 4. But I come in at 11 to 2.
2. Alcohol all night long, age is 21+
3. A local night club
4. They requests Hip Hop, Rap, Pop, reggae, Go Go, but like 2 Chainz, futures, etc
5. Club is expected over 150 people or more so not big
6. Planning to play what I was asked and throw in a little of my own stuff of course. They found me from my Youtube videos.

2nd Club
1. Opens at like 8 or 9 until 4 I think? I will also be the last DJ to perform that night after a 2 or 3 DJs.
Alcohol all night long I think, its a know lounge
4. Known Lounge supported by HOT 107.9, I'll give all club names after I perform
5. Club is expected 300-600 people I was told
6. Want me to read crowd, they were not descriptive on any selections so I will come an hour early to listen to the other DJs.

I'm pretty confident but I do need advice from people who have been here before! both events are this month and I was told by both that club owners and many promoters will be present so I have to go OFF!

Whats the update on this u playin vegas yet
AKIEM 2:09 AM - 29 January, 2013
Quote:
"I ride my bike with no seat on it... no seat on it... no seat on it."
"I ride my bike with no seat on it... no seat on it... no seat on it..."

no doubt
[nm]
@WhoDjRu 1:59 AM - 3 February, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hes not 21, thats gonna be alot of soda

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I was paid $200 for 2 hours at Secrets Lounge. And Will be paid $400 at Tropical Bamboo and I was offered under the table drinks, but I had to drive so didn't take any.
I also have never used the sync button my NS7 yet either, but I will start practicing with it.

Some of this advice is helping, I will pratice mashups, I was offered a chance to go to a radio station to just listen in and see how the radio DJs get it done. So I guess I did pretty alright.
It was SOOOO different then DJing a school or wedding or house party, but a lot of people asked for cards and I was called by a few people that want to book me. The head promoter told me we will be in touch.

And man... DJ BOOTHS ARE SO UNCOMFORTABLE its a little room and a door. I had to take my NS7 out the case due to the booth size -____- and I kinda sweated out my beats
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:03 AM - 3 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I donno... some dudes (like myself) need the sync button.

True story

Shots Fired....
www.djjohnnym.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:05 AM - 3 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

ur moms does. thanks:)
[nm]

Man down...

www.djjohnnym.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:09 AM - 3 February, 2013
Quote:
I realize that AKIEM is an ass with a side-touch of grandiose delusions (and possibly some craziness to go with it).

Ha, quite a few of us have come to the conclusion that AKIEM's elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.... :-)...

Quote:
AKIEM, I cannot stop you from acting an ass; and should you wish to continue to set up shop on my nuts, then I cannot stop you from doing so (though I wouldn't mind that you pay rent).

I can't front, that was the quote of the year....lmao....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:11 AM - 3 February, 2013
Quote:
And as for my crazy delusions of grander, I guarantee you vastly underestimate.

www.djjohnnym.com
djatrain@hotmail.com 12:30 AM - 5 February, 2013
[quote
I also have never used the sync button my NS7 yet either, but I will start practicing with it.

Please do not! I put up a video today for WHACK AZZ DJS in Chicago that don't know how to mix.
FabulousFrequencies 12:47 AM - 5 February, 2013
Sync is the fuckin devil. It's not about knowing or not knowing 'the essential art of beat matching, yay..'. It's about the fact that that damn thing will NOT get it right 100% of the time, but your EARS will. Forget sync and turn your wave guides off. You become dependent on that shit and sooner or later it's gonna bite you in the ass.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:55 AM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Forget sync and turn your wave guides off.
Quote:
Please do not!(use sync)

Did either of you guys ACTUALLY listen to his mix????

Watchwww.youtube.com

First understand that that SYNC BUTTON is NOT going away. Most of the DJs who posted here agree that him learning fundamental phrasing and structure (and which songs to play with each other) is more important than him learning to smoothly beatmix without SYNC at this point in his "career".

I have been spinning since 1982 - that's like you telling me - learn how to beatmatch on Technics beltdrive 202's that I started on with the little pitch wheel instead of 1200's because it make me a better DJ.... C'mon son...

He already has gigs off the youtube posted above - why continue to trainwreck at those gigs just to "keep it real"... fuck that - turn on sync and get better at programming, It's not like Sync will be discontinued tomorrow. He can always go back and learn without sync once he learns to program IF he wants.

Atrain - you are my House homie - we both probably grew up on BMX and how they drop mixes damn near perfect. Listen to Ru's mix and you tell me what is more important right now...
FabulousFrequencies 3:22 AM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
First understand that that SYNC BUTTON is NOT going away. Most of the DJs who posted here agree that him learning fundamental phrasing and structure (and which songs to play with each other) is more important than him learning to smoothly beatmix without SYNC at this point in his "career".

I have been spinning since 1982 - that's like you telling me - learn how to beatmatch on Technics beltdrive 202's that I started on with the little pitch wheel instead of 1200's because it make me a better DJ.... C'mon son...

He already has gigs off the youtube posted above - why continue to trainwreck at those gigs just to "keep it real"... fuck that - turn on sync and get better at programming, It's not like Sync will be discontinued tomorrow. He can always go back and learn without sync once he learns to program IF he wants.

Atrain - you are my House homie - we both probably grew up on BMX and how they drop mixes damn near perfect. Listen to Ru's mix and you tell me what is more important right now...

A bit over the top dude. Yeah, I listened to it. Did you read every word of every post from me specifically? Because if you did none of that ^^^ would be directed at me. He got for-gig advice, and between-gig advice from me, and it was solid both ways with nothing to 'prove'. What I said about sync had zero to do with the common soap box around here and everything to do with knowing more than 1 way to do the same thing in the event shit goes south. Synch isn't perfect, Smart sync requires TIGHT gridding and I HIGHLY doubt he's editing his grids for tightness and accuracy. Yes, even Sync has a damn learning curve and requirements. If you just 'turn it on' and a grid is off, you're DOOMED. If he knows how to ride the pitch fader or nudge/scrub the wheels he'll pull out of it fast. If he doesn't? PANIC.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:49 AM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Because if you did none of that ^^^ would be directed at me.

it was a nod toward both you and Atrain. No disrespect - I understand what you are saying about beat gridding and making sure all your tracks are correct. I'm just saying would keeping it real help improve him at this point or hurt him? he already has a gig or two and whoever hired him doesn't care, that's all I'm saying.

I actually tried a Traktor controller a while back, I hated it but I can see the appeal of Sync. I agree with you, your library shit needs to be tight if you use it. I was lost when dudes traktor library had doubled up some BPMs or miscalculated it - now I had to make this toy controller work like a 1200... I admit - I gave up, bailed out, and found another song.

Anyway, i'm just saying, when I came here back in 2007, I was totally against SYNC too, but 5 or 6 years later, I see that shit ain't going away and we are probably 6 release versions away from that shit coming to ScratchLive (3.0 if not sooner - LOL).

Would I use it today - probably not but that shit is becoming more of a reality each day
FabulousFrequencies 4:09 AM - 5 February, 2013
No disrespect taken, I just don't like the idea of being misunderstood and this just isn't about 'keeping it real' from my perspective. I don't see sync as others do. In fact, I have no real feelings toward it one way or another, it's just a tool. That said, and I hate to sound like a broken record, that tool isn't perfect as you agree.

At this stage, yeah, it would help him. But if he can't be bothered to slow down enough to learn this stuff, ya gotta wonder if he can bothered to understand the gridding process and why it's important with Serato's sync. That's kinda why I recommended in his gig advice to play it safe and do fades if he can't handle matching yet. I'd hate to see him get into the situation you did with Traktor, ya know?

When I learned matching, I did it old school. When I moved to MIDI, I kept it. It was a bit 'awkward' getting use to stationary platters, but it came quicker than I expected and i'm happy. I just drop it in when it's gotta drop in, if it's off an 1/8th or so, I nudge it through and i'm golden. It happens so fast and second nature now that I don't think sync would even save me time I could use for something? A lot of people argue it saves them time to work within their mixes more, but i see it as 5 seconds at best to recover from a really bad drop in. On a perfectly timed drop in, it's actually faster than sync. Assuming the worst case, In my mind, I can't fathom what kind of epic shit i'm gonna do with those extra 5 seconds that merits the risk of using it. But that's just me. Maybe 3 more fist pumps?

I just feel much more in control of the situation being hands on, and I think that's a real truth that has nothing to do with 'representing' or 'keepin it real' or any of that shit everyone is always on about. I just like knowing I can work with very little, in case I ever step up to something with very little again.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:22 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:

I actually tried a Traktor controller a while back, I hated it but I can see the appeal of Sync. I agree with you, your library shit needs to be tight if you use it. I was lost when dudes traktor library had doubled up some BPMs or miscalculated it - now I had to make this toy controller work like a 1200... I admit - I gave up, bailed out, and found another song.

On a similar note I got a legitimate question for the keep it real cats. I put TONS of work into making my library efficient, everything labeled with as much information as i can stick to it and organized in a very efficient manner conducive to how I play. Well back at my old haunt I was asked to hang around by management on one of our more "urban" nights because to owner liked to have me around in case the dj didnt show up or a sound issue occurred. ect ect. Well about half way through guys set hes getting disillusioned with the crowds response to what hes playing (little to no every in the room, not all his fault this area of the venue wasnt really designed for a good time. ) so dude calls me up there and tells me hes gonna go burn one and conversate and i can take over for a minute. I hop on and look at his screen, every things bobo, no folders every things in one big crate no BPMS files haven't been analyzed, everything labeled as if it were hand-ripped by a high school kid from youtubed or torrented from militant middle eastern training facilities....overall just a MESS. So now im on stage frantically trying to locate songs i usually play that are named differently, tryna figure out what genres of songs are in here, trying to remember BPMs from my crates ect ect. I got through but it wasnt pretty. So after the gig they're packin up and I hear some comments and snickers about me and I just brush it off and jokingly ask how he DJs with his files that messy, at which point to soul of cool herc himself came to earth and compelled him to go on a tirade about thats why im wack cause REAL DJS dont need a computer to DJ and his files shouldnt have mattered ect ect. Now naturally I think he was already salty cause the fact we were BOTH using a laptop, yet he was using it with a bobo cd player and bottom line numark mixer, and HE didnt rock the crowd either, which is why he walked off stage to begin with.

But Im trying to see other opinions on f dude was right or not, seems to me no matter if your a "REAL DJ" or not if your inventorys sloppy its gonna create a hard time, if we went back to the real vinyl days and you asked me to jump on and you hand me 3 crates of white labels and vinyls with the labels scratched off and alot of them are warping you really cant be explected to wreck shit as you would given 2 crates clearly labeled and separated by genre right?
AKIEM 4:35 PM - 5 February, 2013
Wrong
FabulousFrequencies 4:43 PM - 5 February, 2013
@Bezzle

I think it comes down to how well your memory works and how you cope with any deficits. I have a file tagging system I use to overcome my own so even if I have a total brain fart I can enter a key word or two and get a smaller library list where i'll catch what i'm looking for in seconds. Mine focuses more on intensity and instruments used so if I got the melody in my head but can't spit out the name, I can keyword the melody so to speak. It's complicated for me and takes some time. I always joke I spend 16 hours on my library for every 5 I spend mixing. People think it's funny but I always have what i'm needing at the moment.
Papa Midnight 4:53 PM - 5 February, 2013
I'll just say that some DJ's have some organisation systems that are absolutely fucked up. Among the worst I've seen are YouTube rippers, people who take other DJ's libraries that were unorganised to begin with, and the quintessential classic: The person who rips CD's (especially other people's mixes) and leaves them as "Untitled CD XXXX-XX-XX", "Track 1, Track 2, Track 3...".
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:59 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Wrong

This is how i read all of akiems posts now

i615.photobucket.com
AKIEM 5:06 PM - 5 February, 2013
Ha, don't worry. We will see what happens when I cash those checks you been writing.

Ask yourself why you set out to fuck with me in the first place.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:33 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Wrong

Co-to-the-muh-fugging-sign...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:36 PM - 5 February, 2013
This is exactly what's the matter with "Today's DJ"....

if you were strictly on VINYL, you wouldn't have BPM's, Autosync, Keylock, Cue Points, Instant Doubles, and looping features to "save" you....

I agree that a REAL DJ should "know" their music, and if you're relatively able to at LEAST identify the song name, you should be able to know what songs go along with it without referring to BPM's.

You've been served.
Papa Midnight 6:08 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:

if you were strictly on VINYL, you wouldn't have BPM's, Autosync, Keylock, Cue Points, Instant Doubles, and looping features to "save" you....

I agree that a REAL DJ should "know" their music, and if you're relatively able to at LEAST identify the song name, you should be able to know what songs go along with it without referring to BPM's.

You've been served.

Devil's advocacy for a moment because I hear what you're saying...

You get asked by another DJ to cover him for 5 mins. You go looking for Trey Songz - Say Aah. It's not there. You're digging up and down for it, it's not there. Then, he comes back, and plays it. You ask him where the hell it was, there it is: "Go Girl, It's Your Birthday.mp4".

You're supposed to just know this... in someone elses library?
djatrain@hotmail.com 6:09 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:

Dj Art, I still say beat matching. Think about how many whack azz djs use the sync button as a crutch and really think they are doing something. I feel you on the structure and other shit but I think the main thing of a dj is be able to beat match. Trust me when he puts verse over verse he knows the shit sounds fucking horrendous. Shit he better know the shit sucks azz. LOL And I am kinda pissed off that SHEEP think a trainwreck is normal. They have been conditioned to WHACK ASS DJS and hearing an off beat blend. As long as those WAD(short for whack ass djs) play their song, they are happy. Then when you get someone actually beat blending(and not the snyc crushing sound that you can tell a computer is doing that shit) they really don't know what to do.

@M Beeezzzee double drizzle
At first I was like nah nah knowing the songs and info don't mean shit but when he brought up doing vinyl and white labels on all the records I was like yeah. You have to at least know the name of the song and if you heard that song before you can play your next more better.
AKIEM 6:29 PM - 5 February, 2013
lol @ WAD.

who would spend 3min looking for one song?

And no one is going to play from a crate of unmarked white labels. And even then you got 3min to LISTEN to some shit.

I don't like playing from other people's crates, or files, and yes it would suck all night - but 20min? Ha.
FabulousFrequencies 7:33 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:

Eh.. not entirely true any more. Todays stand alone mixers come with a lot of these features. Not all, but I've seen Key lock, Key CHANGE (such a nice feature..), a sampler you can create a loop with and play on the fly, and BPM readouts. Now if you're talking about just a 2 channel, old school mixer with zero frills, yeah.. you're kinda on your own.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:35 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:

You've been served.

Yes but i didnt even have that, im working with track names like "lil boosy track 2" "dope song" "hurricane_chris__baby
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:38 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
lol @ WAD.

who would spend 3min looking for one song?

And no one is going to play from a crate of unmarked white labels. And even then you got 3min to LISTEN to some shit.

I don't like playing from other people's crates, or files, and yes it would suck all night - but 20min? Ha.

Whered i say 20 minutes dude didnt come back till it was time to pack up lol
AKIEM 7:45 PM - 5 February, 2013
However long - thought you said you suck as a DJ anyways?
Crowd seen you were flusterd and laughed.
Cool story bro.Nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:46 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:

Ask yourself why you set out to fuck with me in the first place.

Do i really look like a man who sets out with a plan, you know what i am? Im a dog chasing cars i wouldnt know what to do if i caught one, i just.... do things
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:47 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Cool story bro.Nm

I do suck, once you accept this you never get flustered, write that down ;)
AKIEM 7:54 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Cool story bro.Nm

right - so the story could have just went "hi, I'm beezle, I suck cock as a DJ so when I took over for this other dude it was the same shit" end of story:)

Nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:55 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Cool story bro.Nm

right - so the story could have just went "hi, I'm beezle, I suck cock as a DJ so when I took over for this other dude it was the same shit" end of story:)

Nm

I thought thats pretty much i wrote, except you didnt mispell as many werds as i dif
djatrain@hotmail.com 7:56 PM - 5 February, 2013
[quote
Whered i say 20 minutes dude didnt come back till it was time to pack up lol

Dude you should of got on the Mic and said "Hey everyone, a Retard stumbled on to this computer and named all the tracks, I can not read Retard. With that being said, you get what you get people."

LMAO
AKIEM 8:09 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

Nm

I thought thats pretty much i wrote, except you didnt mispell as many werds as i dif

Right - so basically you sport this shirt:
pinkeeeandthewhip.spreadshirt.com
Nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:13 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nm

Right - so basically you sport this shirt:
pinkeeeandthewhip.spreadshirt.com
Nm

Of course not that would be silly i suck cock on dauphun st nit burbon
AKIEM 8:23 PM - 5 February, 2013
Guess that's settled. Nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:30 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

You've been served.

You get asked by another DJ to cover him for 5 mins. You go looking for Trey Songz - Say Aah. It's not there. You're digging up and down for it, it's not there. Then, he comes back, and plays it. You ask him where the hell it was, there it is: "Go Girl, It's Your Birthday.mp4".

If you refer to my previous statement - "if you're relatively able to at LEAST identify the song name", then YES you should be able to mix it in...

Of course if they call it "Go Girl, It's Your Birthday", that's a different story...but Bezzle was shook because they didn't have BPM's populated...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:32 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Eh.. not entirely true any more. Todays stand alone mixers come with a lot of these features. Not all, but I've seen Key lock, Key CHANGE (such a nice feature..), a sampler you can create a loop with and play on the fly, and BPM readouts. Now if you're talking about just a 2 channel, old school mixer with zero frills, yeah.. you're kinda on your own.

See, even you looking for a crutch of a mixer with BPM's, Keylock, etc is stating what kind of state we're in with "Today's DJ"....

They should KNOW THEIR MUSIC, and play accordingly....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:33 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

You've been served.

Yes but i didnt even have that, im working with track names like "lil boosy track 2" "dope song" "hurricane_chris__baby

Song titles is ONE THING, but you were stressing over BPM's....

That's MY issue here...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:35 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You've been served.

If you refer to my previous statement - "if you're relatively able to at LEAST identify the song name", then YES you should be able to mix it in...

Of course if they call it "Go Girl, It's Your Birthday", that's a different story...but Bezzle was shook because they didn't have BPM's populated...

Your 100% correct, your looking at about 30,000 songs mostly mistitled or missing indentifier info and in no particular order from a library ive never seen before add to that i enjoy our lovley autoloop function which also dosent work if your files arent annylized, the product def wasnt my best work
FabulousFrequencies 8:36 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
See, even you looking for a crutch of a mixer with BPM's, Keylock, etc is stating what kind of state we're in with "Today's DJ"....

Don't put words in my mouth, read it again.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:37 PM - 5 February, 2013
So you're basically saying that even if the files were labled CD TRACK #1 ETC, you still would have lined them up per BPM, found something, then looped it until you found another BPM song (next song in the list), and mixed it in at your leisure, and everyone would have thought you were grand....correct?
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:38 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You've been served.

That's MY issue here...

Because you can use the BPMS to put things inna logical order, sort by bpm and now all your pop stuffs up at the top, the new raps down at the botton paryy tracks in the middle and if a songs horribly misidentifed like "birfday gurl" for 50 cent in da club i can at leat to to the 90ish bpm range because i know thats when that song should be andbegin trying to find it
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:39 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I DIDN'T bring that up, YOU did....but I'm still making the point that if a DJ lacks the skills to mix (read beatmatch), he isn't a REAL DJ....by my (and most REAL DJ) standards....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:41 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You've been served.

That's MY issue here...

Because you can use the BPMS to put things inna logical order, sort by bpm and now all your pop stuffs up at the top, the new raps down at the botton paryy tracks in the middle and if a songs horribly misidentifed like "birfday gurl" for 50 cent in da club i can at leat to to the 90ish bpm range because i know thats when that song should be andbegin trying to find it

AGAIN, you're relying on BPM's to help you mix and not only that, but IDENTIFY songs...

You should know that if you found In Da Club, no matter what it's named, you should be able to mix in something else that you KNOW goes with it....just by ear, not by grouping...
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:42 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
So you're basically saying that even if the files were labled CD TRACK #1 ETC, you still would have lined them up per BPM, found something, then looped it until you found another BPM song (next song in the list), and mixed it in at your leisure, and everyone would have thought you were grand....correct?

No but even if i was given no track info bpm keeps away genre mistakes

Track 1 80 bpm
Track 2 160 bpm

Now without knowing any other track info i know theres a good chance track 1 is rap track 2 is dnb so at this urban even track 2 will never be played so if i sort by bpm thats eliminated frome having to even consider playin it
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:42 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You've been served.

That's MY issue here...

AGAIN, you're relying on BPM's to help you mix and not only that, but IDENTIFY songs...

You should know that if you found In Da Club, no matter what it's named, you should be able to mix in something else that you KNOW goes with it....just by ear, not by grouping...

Yes and the easiest way to locate the files im looking for when their misnamed is order them by bpm
FabulousFrequencies 8:43 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I DIDN'T bring that up, YOU did....but I'm still making the point that if a DJ lacks the skills to mix (read beatmatch), he isn't a REAL DJ....by my (and most REAL DJ) standards....

No..

1) you stated vinyl dj's don't have those perks.
2) I said it depends on the mixer used and cited examples.
3) You came back with 'Even your looking for a crutch of a mixer'.

Wanna tell me how you came to the conclusion that *I* personally need a crutch mixer by reading #2?
AKIEM 8:43 PM - 5 February, 2013
If it's not analyzed, don't play it - he didn't.

Go to the history
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You've been served.

Your 100% correct, your looking at about 30,000 songs mostly mistitled or missing indentifier info and in no particular order from a library ive never seen before add to that i enjoy our lovley autoloop function which also dosent work if your files arent annylized, the product def wasnt my best work

If it's not analyzed don't play it - he didn't. Or load it again, now it's analyzed.
Go to the history and play the shit he played.
He must of had some method.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:44 PM - 5 February, 2013
This leads to you mixing with your EYES and not your ears...

I agree with the whole "Label the song" correctly argument, but not the BPM argument...

You should be able to mix BASED ON THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE SONG TITLES....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:47 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No..

1) you stated vinyl dj's don't have those perks.
2) I said it depends on the mixer used and cited examples.
3) You came back with 'Even your looking for a crutch of a mixer'.

Wanna tell me how you came to the conclusion that *I* personally need a crutch mixer by reading #2?

1) Ok, I should have said 'REAL VINYL DJ's" don't have (or want) those perks...
2) REAL VINYL DJ's aren't looking to use those elements on those "types" of mixers...posers are...
3) I said "Even 'you' looking for a mixer..etc..etc was meant in the plural sense of you representing "those" DJ's....REAL VINYL DJ's wouldn't be checking the BPM counter on the mixer in the 1st place....if anything, we'd be trying to prove it wrong....
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:49 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:

I agree what im sayin is if i play say ahh, may think ok in da clubs next...now i have to locate thst song, so if its labeled "berfday song" searches for 50 cent, in da club, generic birthday track, ect all bring up nothing but if i can order by bpm i know in da club is around 90 bpm so o can sort by bpm and vusually look for whatever bafoonery it may be labled as instead if scollung through 30,000 tracks hopin to spot it
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:53 PM - 5 February, 2013
Ok, to settle all this, just carry a usb stick with prefab mixes on it, so that way you won't have to worry....
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:53 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
Ok, to settle all this, just carry a usb stick with prefab mixes on it, so that way you won't have to worry....

That settles that
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:54 PM - 5 February, 2013
Or ***gasp*** carry a USB stick with songs labeled EXACTLY the way you want them, and mix off of there....if you're just filling in, a usb stick fits nicely on a key chain, you'll always be prepared....

End of story.
djatrain@hotmail.com 8:54 PM - 5 February, 2013
Hey everyone I LIKE PIZZA.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:55 PM - 5 February, 2013
Many a DJ has carried a small backpack full of 10 records to gigs back in the day...right?

For "Just In Case" someone asked you to do a quick set, right?

Same theory....
FabulousFrequencies 8:56 PM - 5 February, 2013
Quote:
3) I said "Even 'you' looking for a mixer..etc..etc was meant in the plural sense of you representing "those" DJ's....REAL VINYL DJ's wouldn't be checking the BPM counter on the mixer in the 1st place....if anything, we'd be trying to prove it wrong....

I'm sure half the time they are wrong, I just don't want my intentions misunderstood. Your statement required some clarification that these tools do exist for everyone, and I don't know that by looking for them. I'm just a gear slut that notices these things out there and felt it should be pointed out that they are available on standalone mixers for *all* to use. Nothing more, nothing less, and I'm not endorsing it either way.

It should be said though, that for years it seems like everyone is arguing among themselves for no apparent reason and kicking horses that have been dead and buried for ages. People are going to enjoy this as they enjoy it, and different folks like different strokes. It's almost like arguing opinion sometimes instead of trying to just offer advice, info, and doing something fun to progress this.

Quote:
Hey everyone I LIKE PIZZA.

Buffalo Chicken Pizza <3
d:raf 2:17 AM - 6 February, 2013
Quote:
Or ***gasp*** carry a USB stick with songs labeled EXACTLY the way you want them, and mix off of there....if you're just filling in, a usb stick fits nicely on a key chain, you'll always be prepared....

End of story.

I have a 16gb flash drive with folders neatly broken down by genre just for this purpose. I've seen some other people's libraries and it's a jungle out there... I'll pass.

Nobody's catching me playing somebody else's 96kbps Youtube rip by accident...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:34 AM - 6 February, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

I'm with Bezzle on this one, you don't know how tough it is until you are out in that situation. A buddy of mines who is a wanna be tuntablist/hip hop dj but also plays open format wanted me to cover him on his laptop a while back.

I hop on - BPM column is turned off - I turn it on - but some of the BPMs don't show/populate for some reason.

Ok so I go looking for music - dude has his stuff organized BY ALBUM so if I want to play jay-z - I have to try and remember which album what track was on. I could do a search but that didn't work on a few things i was looking for (probably that Artist - Title grouping in Finder - so title may be missing in IDtag??)

By the way, I am browsing an external drive via the file browser...

I get what Bezzle is saying - If I can sort by BPM - at least I can try and hit shit in the same neighborhood by browsing the track window.

I don't think I could take navigating a USB stick by album - I am so used to the library window and working a certain way
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:38 AM - 6 February, 2013
In this day and age, there is NO REASON to not have a USB full of "Hey, cover for me for a few" cuts on there...."Just In Case" you're randomly asked to DJ....
d:raf 4:42 AM - 6 February, 2013
...and make sure it's a skinny one. Some USB sticks are too wide to coexist with anything plugged into the port next to it.
@WhoDjRu 6:10 PM - 9 February, 2013
SO?
DJRemixEnt 6:22 PM - 9 February, 2013
the next time you get a club gig... record the actual set you played at the club, and then upload it, im interested to hear how you play in front of a live crowd.
Papa Midnight 7:20 PM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:
the next time you get a club gig... record the actual set you played at the club, and then upload it, im interested to hear how you play in front of a live crowd.

+1
Esco... 8:42 PM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:

Truth is in the pudding. I try to record all my live sets. There is stuff you just dont hear over the loud soundsystem. Helps show yourself what you did wrong and what to improve on.
DJRemixEnt 8:44 PM - 9 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Truth is in the pudding. I try to record all my live sets. There is stuff you just dont hear over the loud soundsystem. Helps show yourself what you did wrong and what to improve on.

no doubt.... but from how he is describing how the night went, it sounds like it was a success...but it he played anything like what's on his youtube vidz... i highly doubt he's telling a truthful story... just my 2cents
DJRemixEnt 8:51 PM - 9 February, 2013
on the other hand, i understand the kid is under 18... so im tryin not to bust his ballz too hard...lol

Quote:
I was offered under the table drinks, but I had to drive so didn't take any.

good on you for not drinking DJ RU, but dont let your only reason for not drinking be because you had to drive.... not a good idea to start your adult life off with DUI's and Minor In Possession & Under The Influence charges. and im speaking from experience too... I spent almost 3 yrs in juvi dention centers for doin stupid shit as a teen.
@WhoDjRu 3:50 AM - 17 February, 2013
I don't know but I think I do perform different in person then on my mixes. When I mix and put it on Youtube is to get advise from you guys, future clients, fans, etc. When I'm live I vibe off the crowd and just do what has to be done.
Sometimes I do things live for the first time and it turns into a success so I just learn from each event.

But I do still need more advice on this stuff and that you guys for what I have read so far
Papa Midnight 4:29 AM - 17 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

djatrain@hotmail.com 7:26 PM - 17 February, 2013
Quote:

I was offered under the table drinks, but I had to drive so didn't take any.

Dude you missing out on the fun, drinking and driving is the Shit!. Also, bangin chicks without condoms and snorting blow off a passed out hooker's left breast. Man you better get with the times.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:02 PM - 17 February, 2013
<makes note to hang with Atrain -EARLY - but NOT all night>
slimmjimm 1:07 AM - 18 February, 2013
Quote:
Dude you missing out on the fun, drinking and driving is the Shit!. Also, bangin chicks without condoms and snorting blow off a passed out hooker's left breast. Man you better get with the times.

Why on earth would you snort off of a passed out hookers breast? Waste of money, IMO. Unless the hooker was passed out before you got there, and then proceeded to snort blow, thus eliminating the financial transaction. In that case, carry on.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:39 AM - 18 February, 2013
Quote:
Why on earth would you snort off of a passed out hookers breast?

He said LEFT breast...

She was still awake and coherent when he snorts off the right Breast and her stomach. He just has to do the left one after she passes out because if he did the right - that blocks the view of all the cameras.
djatrain@hotmail.com 11:09 PM - 18 February, 2013
^^^^^^^^Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk it. LMAO
@WhoDjRu 1:31 AM - 27 February, 2013
I wanna start mashups, like REAL mashups. I think I'll use these posts to do it and start.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:19 AM - 27 February, 2013
Quote:
I wanna start mashups, like REAL mashups. I think I'll use these posts to do it and start.

Just from your avatar, your hand placement on the platter is wrong...(NM)
@WhoDjRu 1:37 PM - 17 April, 2013
How should my hands be placed? And in general, is it good to do Hip Hop vs House? Its kinda diverse...
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:43 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
How should my hands be placed? And in general, is it good to do Hip Hop vs House? Its kinda diverse...

Its been like six months and you still havent figured out why thats a bad idea?
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:44 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
How should my hands be placed? ...

You hand should be placed firmly on both sides of this book

www.amazon.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:33 PM - 17 April, 2013
How did those gigs (or was it a residency) you did work out?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:00 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:

Considering hes still trying to figure out if constantly mixing 80 bpm rap into 128 pop is a good idea or not i can only pray hes been banned from the establishment by now, though im sure hell tell us hes tourung dubai
@WhoDjRu 2:19 AM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:

Pretty good. I just DJ'ed a car and bike show for a well know radio station in Atlanta 96.1 so that was pretty epic! I was booked to do their next one so I guess I have been improving with time. I have been working with some pretty good DJs in Atlanta too so I will continue to learn!

@Bezle No rush for me to become the best already, I'm not DJing to feed my kids like you, this is a hobby for me. Unlike you, this doesn't determine if I can eat dinner or pay rent like you.
Esco... 2:32 AM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Pretty good. I just DJ'ed a car and bike show for a well know radio station in Atlanta 96.1 so that was pretty epic! I was booked to do their next one so I guess I have been improving with time. I have been working with some pretty good DJs in Atlanta too so I will continue to learn!

@Bezle No rush for me to become the best already, I'm not DJing to feed my kids like you, this is a hobby for me. Unlike you, this doesn't determine if I can eat dinner or pay rent like you.

Call me crazy, but I would love if me eating and paying rent depended on how often I DJ'd. Wouldn't mind this as a full time career.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:05 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Call me crazy, but I would love if me eating and paying rent depended on how often I DJ'd. Wouldn't mind this as a full time career.

Yup and it used to be possible before promoters started hiring kids who dont iluunderstand why its bad to mix a 85 bpm track with a 128 track who play for pokemon cards
Esco... 6:39 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yup, the DJ who spins at my spot on Fridays doesn't understand either. I even took the time to go to his house and explain mixing and phrasing to him. Slowly crossfading while hearing boots in the dryer isn't the point of mixing!

Yup and it used to be possible before promoters started hiring kids who dont iluunderstand why its bad to mix a 85 bpm track with a 128 track who play for pokemon cards
DJRemixEnt 7:34 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
I just DJ'ed a car and bike show for a well know radio station in Atlanta 96.1 so that was pretty epic! I was booked to do their next one so I guess I have been improving with time.

and we all know how well radio stations pay their established mixshow dj's...

so that means ru did this gig for free. and the price was right...so they booked him for the next one.

hey dj ru... what record pool(s) do you belong to?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:49 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:

If i remember right hes on rippedfromyoutube record pool and jackedyoshitfromsoundcloud record pool
DJRemixEnt 7:49 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

If i remember right hes on rippedfromyoutube record pool and jackedyoshitfromsoundcloud record pool

lol
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:04 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Uh Bezzle -who says you have to be in a Record Pool to be a successful DJ... Just look at Ru - why he.....

Uh oh, nevermind, guess u do.....

DJRemixEnt 8:30 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Uh Bezzle -who says you have to be in a Record Pool to be a successful DJ... Just look at Ru - why he.....

Uh oh, nevermind, guess u do.....

lmao
@WhoDjRu 2:54 PM - 27 April, 2013
Nope wrongg again. This was a trial to be their home DJ. I was called this morning to come in next week so try again. I honestly dont care about this negative feedback, only the helpful gets me farther then most of the ones with these negative comments.

Its funny because you think people here on the Serato website would be helpful and try to bring others towards music instead of pushing everyone away
DJ DisGrace 3:11 PM - 27 April, 2013
Quote:
Nope wrongg again. This was a trial to be their home DJ

so definitely free
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:28 PM - 27 April, 2013
Hey Ru, honestly - keep doing you thang man,. We are fucking with you to make you stronger and better. A few Djs have used/turned that youtube thing to their advantage. Look up DJ Rrollergod and DJ Bl3nd.

We clowned them too for a minute, now they have internet fame and noteriety, Rrollergod is doing pretty good in Chicago and Bl3nd is touring like Deadmau5

Quote:
Its funny because you think people here on the Serato website would be helpful and try to bring others towards music instead of pushing everyone away

We aren't trying to push you away - we are just trying to school you and make you better in the long run (Tough love). Hopefully one day - you will look back and see what we were trying to do....
Papa Midnight 5:17 PM - 27 April, 2013
and things not to do like stealing other peoples mixes...

If you take shortcuts and try to bring that to people on this forum who have been in the DJ game for 4x (and longer) times as long as I have, people are going to clown you.

Then you actually don't understand why people are giving you hell here?
DJRemixEnt 5:25 PM - 27 April, 2013
im still waitin for a video to see how much you've improved, compared to the bullshit that you've posted online before.

Quote:
I was booked to do their next one so I guess I have been improving with time.
its just funny seeing someone toot their own horn, all based off the wrong reasons... the reality of it is, you've gotta crawl before you walk, and in most cases (i said most cases) someone at your skill level is gonna get booked because you are free or damn near close to free.... you being booked for events, has nothing to do with your present skill level.

Quote:
I honestly dont care about this negative feedback
and from what ive seen, the feedback hasnt been negative, it's been completely honest.

if i recall, you stepped into this forum like a superstar, stealing peoples mixes... you fucked up and you got called on it.

and there are several noobs that step into this forum as HUMBLE rookies, who honestly seek advice and try to learn things the right way and ask for constructive feeback and criticism... do you ever see them getting clowned?.... NO

but this kind of unsat behavior coming from your generation is typical...you guys wanna be overnight superstars based off of the participation trophy philosophy... and when you get a reality check by veterans... they are all of sudden the "HATERS"

untill you slow your roll and become humble... you will continue to get clowned.

youtu.be
@WhoDjRu 2:09 AM - 30 April, 2013
Watchwww.youtube.com >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is what the hype is about
@WhoDjRu 2:11 AM - 30 April, 2013
Yeah I will, you guys are right and I will keep taking the advice because it has help me improve. I do know what touch love is and some of it is and others its hate but I thank you all.

I just don't think there is such thing as too much help
Papa Midnight 4:06 AM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is what the hype is about

I thought that video sounded familiar...
serato.com
Papa Midnight 4:09 AM - 30 April, 2013
Still waiting for something new, preferably shot live in front of a crowd... and without that drop.
DJRemixEnt 2:41 PM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
and without that drop.

which one? the "I love you DJ RU" drop.... or the "Trapaholics, Real Trappp Shit" "DJ Cash Crook" drop @ 12:40?
Papa Midnight 3:37 PM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
and without that drop.

which one? the "I love you DJ RU" drop.... or the "Trapaholics, Real Trappp Shit" "DJ Cash Crook" drop @ 12:40?

"Your wifey's favorite dj (this one is actually tolerable... somehow. Stupid, but tolerable)" and the damn baby drop "I love you dj ru."
Esco... 11:09 PM - 30 April, 2013
Post about being a humble rookie.... Followed by post about his 'hype' with a mix containing nothing but trainwrecks.

Im glad I took phrasing and beatmatching seriously from the start. Hell i took the humble route and played out after 2 years of practice. Im sure I spared peoples ears too lol.

Hell, most 'djs' in my area dont understand why mixing 128 into a 105 doesnt work. They think they are dope cause they do get people dancing but I dont understand how crowds can listen to trainwrecks all night. Then there are others who brag nonstop about how good they are at beatmatching, but when I see them live they cant even se a cue point on the one or phrase properly.

Id tell Ru, like everyone else has l, to humble himself. Yeah bro u might be getting booked but it isnt because you are good. That video you pointed to... Doesnt show why u are hype, it just shows u dont have basics down. Which is why the people here are on your case so much.
djatrain@hotmail.com 12:34 AM - 2 May, 2013
[quote
Hell, most 'djs' in my area dont understand why mixing 128 into a 105 doesnt work. They think they are dope cause they do get people dancing but I dont understand how crowds can listen to trainwrecks all night.

Crowds listen to that shit all night because they are sheep. If you play that song they've heard a million times a day they will be happy. The fun part is when you do it with a great mix, they will be fucking amazed. Like "How did you do that, I heard other djs and it always sound like gym shoes in a dyer, but you made it sound smooth, like cake batter being mixed up with no lumps." LMAO
Esco... 5:36 AM - 2 May, 2013
I guess the sheep eat it up. But when I go out on Fridays and the DJ is doing his 128 to 105 blends, I always see people stop dancing for a few second until they can find a steady beat to dance to. Nothing like keeping people dancing when the song changes!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:06 PM - 2 May, 2013
Hell, and you thought I WAS rough on cats...

Sheesh....
AKIEM 4:37 PM - 2 May, 2013
soft on cats

Nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:48 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
soft on cats

Nm

Ha ha, even in death....

I haunt you....
:-)
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:57 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
I guess the sheep eat it up. But when I go out on Fridays and the DJ is doing his 128 to 105 blends, I always see people stop dancing for a few second until they can find a steady beat to dance to. Nothing like keeping people dancing when the song changes!

People dance where you live
DJRemixEnt 6:21 PM - 2 May, 2013
damn Bezzle... welcome back... thought serato mighta gave you a pair of cement shoes and threw you in the river ...lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:34 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
damn Bezzle... welcome back... thought serato mighta gave you a pair of cement shoes and threw you in the river ...lol

Nah but tha block is hot lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:07 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO...

Now THAT was funny...
Papa Midnight 10:53 PM - 2 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO...

Now THAT was funny...

LoL!

Quote:
Hell, and you thought I WAS rough on cats...

Sheesh....

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJRemixEnt 1:13 PM - 25 June, 2013
CMOS 5:07 PM - 25 June, 2013
Can we stop using the word "epic" for parties of under 10,000 people?
AKIEM 6:00 PM - 25 June, 2013
Semi-epic!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:17 PM - 25 June, 2013
Micro-epic?
CMOS 6:18 PM - 25 June, 2013
Quote:
Micro-epic?

Mini-Epic

New 5Pin-Epic-Connector
REDSELECTER 12:21 AM - 26 June, 2013
nano-epic, requires tweezers
DJRemixEnt 2:54 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
me taking a piss, requires tweezers

really dude?

nm
REDSELECTER 2:57 AM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
me taking a piss, requires tweezers

really dude?

nm

while I'm flattered by your interest in what's in my pants, I'm straight and happily married, so you'll have to look elsewhere and I wish you the best of luck.