DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My new mix!

Seig 3:53 PM - 21 June, 2013
Hey guys, just to preface I am brand new to Djing, I just bought my Novation Twitch about two months ago. But anyways, I have a new mix out that I'd love for people here to listen to and let me know what you think! Please check it out here: soundcloud.com. Thanks!
latindj 4:32 PM - 21 June, 2013
Haven't listened to it yet but you need to work on your beat matching skills and transitions....trust me, I'm psychic....
DJRemixEnt 4:43 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Haven't listened to it yet but you need to work on your beat matching skills and transitions....trust me, I'm psychic....

ROTFL!
 6 4:46 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Haven't listened to it yet but you need to work on your beat matching skills and transitions....trust me, I'm psy's chic....

Gangbang style?

nm
DJ Mozo 7:47 PM - 21 June, 2013
Why haven't new djs learned that posting a mix stating you're a new dj and just bought a controller is a bad way to go? go back in the forums two days and read two posts of how the djs here tried to help you kids and that backfired into those kids acting like divas. i think it was tjthedj and will g?
DJ Mozo 7:52 PM - 21 June, 2013
Not to say the djs in here don't try to help..

Just that in the end, it does not fare well for the op. For the most part, the djs here are pros and give you the harsh reality of a situation. They critique you as another dj, not as your friends or your mom. They give the real stuff, no bs. No sugar coating. Complete opposite of sugarcoating. shitcoating? lol. and then the OP can't handle the criticism and flips a bitch.. Oh internet..
Seig 8:05 PM - 21 June, 2013
It's all good, I'm not offended by what they said. If they don't wanna listen thats their choice. I posted her because although I am trying to just get more exposure, I actually would like to get real criticisms from real djs so I can work to improve my mixes.
DJ Mozo 8:06 PM - 21 June, 2013
you are the minority :) The last few cats that did that took it all wrong and decided to act like divas.
Seig 8:08 PM - 21 June, 2013
doubt they will get very far then! i'm not afraid to admit that I just started and i know i have alot to work on. just looking for as much advice and opinions as I can get.
 6 8:15 PM - 21 June, 2013
In that case I will review your mix. I like your attitude. nh, nm
Seig 8:23 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:

much appreciated! looking forward to hearing what you think
DJRemixEnt 8:35 PM - 21 June, 2013
Yeah...a humble attitude & approach goes along way here. This thread needs to be stickied to show these new guys how to be humble.
latindj 11:58 PM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

much appreciated! looking forward to hearing what you think

ok so far you have passed the noob test. I will listen to your mix but have a couple of questions first:

1) Is this mix recorded live, unedited?
2) was auto-sync or any other mixing aid used in any way, shape or form in this mix?
DJ Reflex 6:47 AM - 22 June, 2013
** Not too bad. **

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but the first 3 or 4 mixes were on point. The Deadmau5 transitions were solid, as were most of the melody blends.

Quote:
2) was auto-sync or any other mixing aid used in any way, shape or form in this mix?

^^ This can make all the difference! ^^
Seig 3:12 PM - 22 June, 2013
Quote:
** Not too bad. **

I didn't listen to the whole thing, but the first 3 or 4 mixes were on point. The Deadmau5 transitions were solid, as were most of the melody blends.

Quote:

^^ This can make all the difference! ^^

Thanks for the feedback. In terms of the questions:

1. It was recorded live, unedited
2. I did use sync to match tempos but it does not snap the beats together
stevie o 4:17 PM - 22 June, 2013
Hey Seig. Great mix. I'm halfway through it now. If you told me deadmau5 or any other so called big name "DJ" made this I would believe it. I like it a lot. Now before u get too big of a head that comment means a few things. Mostly means that technology has destroyed the purity of djing and anyone can buy a twitch or any sync enabled controller and make it clean blended mix overnight evening the DJ field. That's good that we won't hear train wrecks anymore but for those of us that put our work in pre serato just to get undercut by someone that bought a 300$ vestax vci last night etc kind if sucks. Not a knock on you. Just the viewpoint from a bitter older DJ. Personally I always buy the newest shit and stay up technologically but 2 turntables will always by the foundation of my setup. Keep up the good work and try to learn the basics of djing at some point unassisted by a controller and I guarantee it will only improve you.
Seig 4:36 PM - 22 June, 2013
Quote:
Hey Seig. Great mix. I'm halfway through it now. If you told me deadmau5 or any other so called big name "DJ" made this I would believe it. I like it a lot. Now before u get too big of a head that comment means a few things. Mostly means that technology has destroyed the purity of djing and anyone can buy a twitch or any sync enabled controller and make it clean blended mix overnight evening the DJ field. That's good that we won't hear train wrecks anymore but for those of us that put our work in pre serato just to get undercut by someone that bought a 300$ vestax vci last night etc kind if sucks. Not a knock on you. Just the viewpoint from a bitter older DJ. Personally I always buy the newest shit and stay up technologically but 2 turntables will always by the foundation of my setup. Keep up the good work and try to learn the basics of djing at some point unassisted by a controller and I guarantee it will only improve you.

I am incredibly humbled by your post, thank you. I'm actually learning the basics with turntables at the DJ Scratch Academy in Miami. It's an awesome program that teaches everything about the history, culture, and skills of DJing. So I completely understand that for you older guys you had to learn everything the hard way and it took much longer. The technology nowadays certainly makes things easier but I know that learning and practicing with the "real" equipment will only make me better.
Thundercat 6:19 PM - 22 June, 2013
Quote:
I'm actually learning the basics with turntables at the DJ Scratch Academy in Miami. It's an awesome program that teaches everything about the history, culture, and skills of DJing. So I completely understand that for you older guys you had to learn everything the hard way and it took much longer. The technology nowadays certainly makes things easier but I know that learning and practicing with the "real" equipment will only make me better.

OK, I'll bite. Will give a listen when I get home. I am at a christening reception now rocking out to the DJ playing bouts of Electric Slide, September, Todo Todo and Chilly Cha Cha interspersed with a whole Michael Buble CD...be warned I will NOT be in a good mood
DJ Reflex 6:31 PM - 22 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I'm actually learning the basics with turntables at the DJ Scratch Academy in Miami. It's an awesome program that teaches everything about the history, culture, and skills of DJing. So I completely understand that for you older guys you had to learn everything the hard way and it took much longer. The technology nowadays certainly makes things easier but I know that learning and practicing with the "real" equipment will only make me better.

OK, I'll bite. Will give a listen when I get home. I am at a christening reception now rocking out to the DJ playing bouts of Electric Slide, September, Todo Todo and Chilly Cha Cha interspersed with a whole Michael Buble CD...be warned I will NOT be in a good mood

Thundercat - Funny! I did a gig last night that was primarily 80's/open format. I got to play whatever I felt like and people danced all night. It was great! Sorry you have to endure this pain. I feel for ya.
Just try not to take it out on the new guy - he actually did a decent job.
 6 2:53 AM - 23 June, 2013
I haven't forgotten to review your mix. I've been busy and got a gig tonight so will try to check it tomorrow.

nm
Thundercat 1:19 PM - 23 June, 2013
OK after a listen all the way through not much to say. Not exactly my brand of music, but you never made me stop and say WTF is this kid doing. Keep at it.
Chrisjin 3:22 PM - 23 June, 2013
I had to get high as F to listen since the playlist is something I run away from. The transitions are not bad but I only got to the 3rd song and had to stop. Sorry not my cup of tea. I read you used sync, so I guess dont cheat yourself in the long run
latindj 7:51 PM - 23 June, 2013
Quote:
OK after a listen all the way through not much to say. Not exactly my brand of music, but you never made me stop and say WTF is this kid doing. Keep at it.

good job for only dj'ing 2 months. but get off the sync crutch, trust me, you'll be way better in the long run. here's a test to see where you REALLY are at: record the same mix live again, this time without sync and compare them. beatmatching BY EAR is a big part of the art as well as being able to manually cue on beat. another trick to help is to shut off the waveforms altogether or put a towel over them so you aren't tempted to stare. learn this way and you can never go wrong. I applaud the route you're taking though.
Seig 3:37 AM - 24 June, 2013
thank you everyone for your feedback i really appreciate it. i definitely agree that using sync and waveforms is a crutch, but at this point in the game there is no way I would be able to put a full mix together without them. that being said, its the exact reason I am doing the dj academy so that I can learn to beatmatch by ear and mix the traditional way.
DJRemixEnt 1:05 PM - 25 June, 2013
Hey Seig, i took a quick listen to your mix. I didnt listen to it all because i find that kind of EDM booooooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnng! lol. but i did fast forward to the transitions. I do have to admit that it is a good job for a noob.

glad you have the opportunity to attend the dj scratch academy and learn how to use turntables to properly beatmatch. and kudos to you for doing shit the right way and not being afraid of constructive critism

like the others have said, try to do a mix without the sync and see how it sounds. i dont know about other dj's but i hate listening to post production perfected mixes. I enjoy hearing the pushing & nudging and a few mistakes in a live mix.... it just adds to the authenticity.

but good job, and glad to see someone not just slam a bunch of shit together and call it a "mix"...keep up the good work.
Esco... 11:05 PM - 2 July, 2013
Quote:
Hey Seig, i took a quick listen to your mix. I didnt listen to it all because i find that kind of EDM booooooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnng! lol. but i did fast forward to the transitions. I do have to admit that it is a good job for a noob.

glad you have the opportunity to attend the dj scratch academy and learn how to use turntables to properly beatmatch. and kudos to you for doing shit the right way and not being afraid of constructive critism

like the others have said, try to do a mix without the sync and see how it sounds. i dont know about other dj's but i hate listening to post production perfected mixes. I enjoy hearing the pushing & nudging and a few mistakes in a live mix.... it just adds to the authenticity.

but good job, and glad to see someone not just slam a bunch of shit together and call it a "mix"...keep up the good work.

Gotta agree with your point. Sometimes post productuon mixes are too perfect. Whenever I hear a radio dj drop something off beat, i like to hear them correct it. Tells you they actually know what they are doing.l
Seig 6:08 PM - 11 November, 2013
Hey Guys,

I've been really busy starting a new job, but here is a new mix I just put out.

soundcloud.com

It's a different genre so it's hard to compare, but just wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts or suggestions for me to help get better!

Thanks,