Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

DDJ-SX HW bug (video available)

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
OOKAMI 12:13 PM - 11 November, 2012
Hello

had just now a bug with controller

I made video in order to show what is exactly

adresse is Watchwww.youtube.com

description :
weird bug on DDJ SX

laptop started first
controller started 5 seconds after laptop
launched SERATO DJ

second video show it's fixed after HW restart (SERATO DJ still running)

someone saw this ?

cheers.
OOKAMI 12:21 PM - 11 November, 2012
firmware is 1.01 upgraded 2 days ago for more precision :)
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:38 AM - 14 November, 2012
Hey OOKAMI,

Could you describe this issue, and how to reproduce it so i can test ti here. It's hard to tell exactly what is happening in the video :)

Regards
Dave W
OOKAMI 5:02 PM - 14 November, 2012
hello

I will make new video with better view of the bug

as explained, it happen when

turn on laptop first
turn on controller 5 seconds after (laptop was still on windows start logo)
launch serato dj

Gilbz 12:43 AM - 15 November, 2012
This happens on mine also.

I upgraded the firmware to 1.01 and since then on occasions I get the platter display beating to the music instead of the spinning platter lights.

My fix is to start Serato and then turn on the DDJ SX.

Have a look here at my unanswered thread on the Pioneer forum.
I've also called the Pioneer UK office who asked me to email them but still waiting a reply, don't even know if the guy got my email.
forums.pioneerdj.com
Gilbz 12:45 AM - 15 November, 2012
Quote:
Hey OOKAMI,

Could you describe this issue, and how to reproduce it so i can test ti here. It's hard to tell exactly what is happening in the video :)

Regards
Dave W

Sorry just to add, I get this issue when starting Serato with DDJ SX already plugged in, usb connected and on.
Gilbz 1:45 PM - 15 November, 2012
Quote:
This happens on mine also.

I upgraded the firmware to 1.01 and since then on occasions I get the platter display beating to the music instead of the spinning platter lights.

My fix is to start Serato and then turn on the DDJ SX.

Have a look here at my unanswered thread on the Pioneer forum.
I've also called the Pioneer UK office who asked me to email them but still waiting a reply, don't even know if the guy got my email.
forums.pioneerdj.com

Quoting what I wrote above for reference.
This happens when the controller is plugged in to the laptop and the controller is powered on. Start Serato and this happens. (does not happen if you start Serato and then turn on the controller)
www.dropbox.com
DJ Baby Raj 8:11 PM - 15 November, 2012
Thats weird, keep us updated... For my controllers I always turned them on first than launched Serato...
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:15 AM - 16 November, 2012
Please give me all the spec's of your computer and OS. I'll do some tests. Also maybe try resetting factory reset.

Turn off DDJ-SX

Turn On
Hold down left Shift + Deck 1 buttons. Wait till lights go off, then hold down both sync buttons. Lights should show up, hold for 5 or more seconds till lights go off. Then restart controller..

Let me know how you go.

Regards
|Dave W
DJ Baby Raj 4:39 AM - 16 November, 2012
Hey Dave, just wondering what does that do?
Serato, Support
David Wood 4:42 AM - 16 November, 2012
factory reset which will set the controller back to it's original state when you brought it. However it will not downgrade the Firmware. It could be hardware related but would like to do some tests first.

Regards
Dave W
DJ Baby Raj 4:45 AM - 16 November, 2012
Thanks, good to know!
Gilbz 10:26 AM - 16 November, 2012
Quote:
Please give me all the spec's of your computer and OS. I'll do some tests. Also maybe try resetting factory reset.

Turn off DDJ-SX

Turn On
Hold down left Shift + Deck 1 buttons. Wait till lights go off, then hold down both sync buttons. Lights should show up, hold for 5 or more seconds till lights go off. Then restart controller..

Let me know how you go.

Regards
|Dave W

Dave
It's all very hit and miss whether the platters start up properly or not.
I reset the controller
restarted the controller.
Booted up Serato and then it either shows the platter as it should, or it doesn't show anything until you start the song, and then it flashes almost to the beat.
It pretty much fails 99% of the time doing it like this, occasionally it work ok, but rare

The only way I can get the platter to show properly is to start serato and then turn on the controller.
Or
Start the controller, open Serato and then plug the controller in to the USB port

Laptop spec is
Fujitsu Pi3560
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
4GB Ram
Intel Core Duo 2.2 GHz T6600 (.2 under spec, maybe the problem?)
DJ Baby Raj 11:47 PM - 16 November, 2012
Might be winblows.
Hellonewman 1:07 AM - 17 November, 2012
I have an old Sony Vaio and it does this exact thing, but if I use my Desktop machine, it works 100% as it should. I am doubting it is the controller..I am wondering if the laptop has enough power or something because all my LED's for the channels are dim while the jogs do the same as in the video.
OOKAMI 2:09 PM - 17 November, 2012
Quote:
I have an old Sony Vaio and it does this exact thing, but if I use my Desktop machine, it works 100% as it should. I am doubting it is the controller..I am wondering if the laptop has enough power or something because all my LED's for the channels are dim while the jogs do the same as in the video.

personnaly, i don't think about laptop power because controller use external power
usb just used to connect and sync with serato dj

for the moment, i don't see this bug again but if i see it i'll share new video

regards.
DJ De Leon 8:20 PM - 18 November, 2012
Solution=return for a new one before your 30 days are up.

Thing is they are all backorder so it might be awhile.
Chris Beckler 9:31 PM - 18 November, 2012
I also had the same thing happening. Dont remember the exact way I got it to act like that, but turning it off and on fixed it. I cannot remember if the jog-display was doing that, but also look at the video how the VU-meters are flickering. This is what I had. I'm still on factory firmware btw.
OOKAMI 9:35 PM - 18 November, 2012
news from my side

my controller is simply dead !
i don't know why but controller won't turn on now !!!

only one week i buy it !!!!

and i have no AC adaptor to test if the issue is AC or hardware

i'll return it tuesday at my usual music shop and i prefer to say i'm not happy to see this for a controller with this price !!!
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:42 PM - 18 November, 2012
Sorry to hear that. In this situation the best course of action maybe to get a replacement. Let me know how you go.

Regards
Dave W
OOKAMI 9:47 PM - 18 November, 2012
thanks Dave about

that what i said. i'll go for my usual music shop and see to have replacement ASAP because i need it for my next week end mix

for my first controller, i am really furious because i can imagine this can happen in the night also !

Chris Beckler 9:52 PM - 18 November, 2012
If you have a voltmeter, check the output on the powersupply. dont forget, any hardware, New or not, can fail. you just don't want or expect it to happen.
OOKAMI 9:55 PM - 18 November, 2012
Quote:
If you have a voltmeter, check the output on the powersupply. dont forget, any hardware, New or not, can fail. you just don't want or expect it to happen.

no i don't have

i had same idea but i don't have voltmeter and don't have an AC with the same power/amp

so what i just need is to wait until tuesday morning

thanks
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:59 PM - 18 November, 2012
It's unlucky for sure, unfortunately this has happened with the DDJ-SX you have purchased, hopefully you have a better outcome with the new controller, let us know how you go.

Regards
Dave W
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:29 AM - 19 November, 2012
Hey guys can I just clarify something with you all regarding this issue :

When you get this flickering with the platter LEDs, if you restart the software (with the SX still on and connected), does it fix the problem?

Please let me know.
Cheers,
Logan.
Chris Beckler 2:16 AM - 20 November, 2012
Still needs to happen again with mine...
DJ Eleazar 4:50 AM - 20 November, 2012
nope its a 64bit prob.. i had all the same prob you are having so i Ran windows 7 32bit and everything works fine... i have a thread in the forums you can see all the details there! HOPE THEY FIX 64bit support SOON! serato.com
Gilbz 10:09 AM - 20 November, 2012
Logan D

I did as you requested.
Fired up laptop
powered on the SX
Started Serato

When loading a song the platter is blank, press play the platter display flashes.

Shut down Serato, started Serato and the same happens.

I can only get the platter display to show and work correctly if I power up the SX when Serato is already running, or I have Serato running and the SX but then plugging in the USB cable.
So basically Serato needs to see a fresh signal from the SX to work correctly.

I'm gong to have a look at the above post now about it being a 64bit issue.
OOKAMI 4:26 PM - 20 November, 2012
Hi Dave

just to inform you i have new AC for my controller
AC was dead by over voltage / surge and replacement is done

so now, controller is now working

I also take opportunity to test UDG U9104 and finally buy it because perfect for DDJ-SX

if some people want to see, i can make pics in order to show how it fit :)

to come back about the issue, i'll see the topic about fix on 32 bits in order to understand and maybe, find a solution for 64 bits (I hope ;p )

again, thanks for your support and have a nice evening all :)

Chris Beckler 10:29 PM - 21 November, 2012
Here is my update about the flickering.

I have a windows 7 32bit btw, and yesterday, same thing happend.
Unit powered up normally, loaded a track on left deck, started playing it and saw the unusual flickering on the VU meter and the jog-display was not really turning around but staying on and doing some flickering also, when the flickering happend,I could briefly see where the position was.

So to test what was asked to see f it is fixed when the software is restarted... Well, it fixed it. Unit reboot was not needed. Hope you guys are something with this info.
Gilbz 1:41 PM - 22 November, 2012
Quote:

So to test what was asked to see f it is fixed when the software is restarted... Well, it fixed it. Unit reboot was not needed. Hope you guys are something with this info.

How many times did you try it?
Out of around 30 tries only once did mine start properly!
Chris Beckler 4:04 PM - 22 November, 2012
I dont have this issue alot. 2nd time now.
Worked from the first time to restart the software.
Bryan Stormer 9:06 AM - 27 November, 2012
Happened to me once too...
OOKAMI 1:48 PM - 27 November, 2012
for my side, this bug happened just one time

i'm on W7 64 SP1
4GB DDR2 800MHZ
CPU CORE 2 DUO 2.0GHZ