Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Crashing and not even opening

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ Eleazar 3:30 AM - 3 November, 2012
We have a few different computers. On the HP laptop with i5 cpu and 8gb of ram and a Dell laptop with i7 cpu and 16gb ram, serato dj opens, scans crates then just closes, no crash message. You go to open it again, it does the same but this time windows gives a crash message, but no info on why it crashed. IT even went into the Windows Event Log and windows noticed a program crashed but gives no info on the crash.

We have got it to work on the MAC no problem and the ASUS laptop(almost exact same specs as the Dell, i7 cpu and 16gb ram).

Now tonight Serato DJ software crashed on the ASUS giving a runtime error.

Any ideas?
Proggieus 4:30 AM - 3 November, 2012
might it be a bad MP3 file that it is trying to load?

I had a media server that would crash constantly at work, turns out one of the mp3s had a dollar sign in the title and the it would cause a kernel panic for some reason. the was fun to figure out.
Asu 2:50 PM - 3 November, 2012
Quote:
We have a few different computers. On the HP laptop with i5 cpu and 8gb of ram and a Dell laptop with i7 cpu and 16gb ram, serato dj opens, scans crates then just closes, no crash message. You go to open it again, it does the same but this time windows gives a crash message, but no info on why it crashed. IT even went into the Windows Event Log and windows noticed a program crashed but gives no info on the crash.

We have got it to work on the MAC no problem and the ASUS laptop(almost exact same specs as the Dell, i7 cpu and 16gb ram).

Now tonight Serato DJ software crashed on the ASUS giving a runtime error.

Any ideas?

Did you reboot after install...sometimes that helps...also if you've tried to install multiple times without reboot,that can cause problems in windows registry...

could also be some bad/corrupt files...i had a few corrupt files that shut my serato dj down on my macbook....these same corrupt files will cause problems when scanning your bpms

wish serato does what traktor does...scan the library at start up....show corrupt or missing files and give the option to remove them with a simple click if that's what you want...
Asu 2:52 PM - 3 November, 2012
oh and i forgot....what version of windows are you running?....you could play around with compatibility mode if you're running windows 8
DJ Eleazar 9:17 PM - 3 November, 2012
all the files are fine and running windows 7 pro have spent countless hours with MP3 & MP4 file correcting.
DJ Eleazar 12:25 AM - 4 November, 2012
To answer a few questions:
Same creates and songs load fine on the Asus and Mac. So its not a corrupt song or file.

Yes we have restarted after install. Our IT who worked for geeksquad for 5 years checked it out. Everything such as fresh installs, compatibility modes, admin rights, and driver updates(graphics, sound, Intel MEI, Intel RST, and chipset drivers).

Asus that runs it:
Intel 2nd gen i7 with 16gb ram running on Windows 7 Home Premium, geforce 560m video
We did we get one runtime error already but it atleast runs.

Dell that it crashes on:
Intel 2nd gen i7 with 16gb ram running on Windows 7 Home Premium, geforce 560m video

HP that is crashes on:
Intel 2nd gen i5 with 8gb ram running on Windows 7 Professional, Intel HD 3000 video

We have tried on many macs and so far it works great.

There is no reason why it should work on the ASUS and not the Dell as the specs are pretty much the same, yet this is what we are experancing.
DJ Eleazar 12:30 AM - 4 November, 2012
Ohh and the music/creates are coming from the same external harddrive, tried both usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 ports with no difference. Again, if it was the music or the creates, why would it work fine on one PC but not the other?

Another thing to mention, if the controler is not plugged in, Serato DJ software stays open longer without closing or crashing. Have the controler plugged in, it will work as the sound card and sound does get pipes through it, showing the drivers are working properly.
Serato, Support
Matt P 2:52 AM - 7 November, 2012
Hi DJ Eleazar,

Are you able to run a DPC trace report? serato.com
It will help us identify the casue of the crash. If you try opening the program without the harddrive does it still crash?

Matt P
6:58 PM, 7 Nov 2012
DJ Eleazar attached a file: DJELEAZAR-PC-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
12:28 AM, 8 Nov 2012
DJ Eleazar attached a file: DJELEAZAR-PC-dpcisr-report3.txt
Download· Permalink
12:29 AM, 8 Nov 2012
DJ Eleazar attached a file: DJELEAZAR-PC-dpcisr-report2.txt
Download· Permalink
DJ Eleazar 12:31 AM - 8 November, 2012
here are the reports multiple crashes with hardware plugged in but the software was crashing rite after loading crates without hardware plugged in then I install the DPC and it will get to the point where i can load a track and it will crash
DJ Eleazar 6:05 AM - 8 November, 2012
ok I just got a new Macbook pro & need to know if this is compatible
with video & Serato Dj
it has crashed also with this new software.. I know that in the past All Serato software isn't compatible with Intel graphics cards
and all 2012 Macbooks are made with Intel video cards
(didn't know this until I had already bought it)

Macbook pro
2.5ghz intel core i5
16gb ram 1333mhz ddr3
1tb Hard drive
Graphics intel HD graphics 4000 512mb
Os x 10.8.2
11:04 PM, 9 Nov 2012
DJ Eleazar attached a file: ELEAZAR-dpcisr-report (asus).txt
Download· Permalink
11:04 PM, 9 Nov 2012
DJ Eleazar attached a file: ELEAZAR-dpcisr-report1 (asus).txt
Download· Permalink
DJ Eleazar 11:15 PM - 9 November, 2012
here are the crash reports from the Asus laptop so i know that the music library is fine there are no corrupt files. and all the specs exceed what Serato Dj need to run. but now the Software will constantly crash on both PC's after firmware update to the controller.

Im getting tired of spending money on gear that don't work!
Frustrated with the new PAPER WEIGHT.
DJOutlandish 4:06 PM - 10 November, 2012
That's a very expensive paper weight you have there. All jokes aside. I had the same problem. Sounds like there's an issue with the Windows 7 64bit OS. Serato tends to act up with the 64bit OS on PC based computers. Try installing the 32 bit version of windows 7. I did that for my desktop that was running windows 7 64 bit, and it worked fine. (no issues with my Mac Pro) Remember alot of us are not using computers that are soley dedicated to Serato alone. To get the best performance when using a pc based computer. Gut the OS and freshly install it back minus any other programs, just the windows basics and remember to tweak the starup activity. P.S. Is you green cpu usage bar in the red?
DJTwistedmind 12:47 AM - 11 November, 2012
And why would people want to go from Windows 7 64bit to Windows 7 32bit when their computers have more then 4gb of ram? When you run 32bit windows, only 4gb is usable, meaning if you have 16gb of ram, your wasting 3/4ths of your ram. With any program which is going to load so many sounds and videos, you want as much ram available as possible. Going to windows 7 32 bit is not an option.

Also we did gut the OS. We have done fresh windows installs with no luck.

CPU Usage bar? You mean the windows gadget(which btw windows gadgets are unsecure). No, we rather rely on Task Manager to show us CPU usage, and no it was high.
10:33 PM, 11 Nov 2012
DJ Eleazar attached a file: ELEAZAR-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
DJ Eleazar 10:33 PM - 11 November, 2012
Watchwww.youtube.com video link to prob. but the usb stat bar is GREEN at about 50%
Serato, Support
Matt P 2:17 AM - 12 November, 2012
Hi DJ Eleazar,

I have looked over the DPC trace reports and the video.
All the reports are showing me is there is something funky going on with the usb ports.
Are you using usb3 ports?
If you could upload one of the files you are using to this conversation, i would like to take a look at it. Eg the jump smokers track you are using in the video.

Matt P
4:03 AM, 12 Nov 2012
DJ Eleazar attached a file: (126) Katy Perry - Firework [Jumpsmokers Rmx].mp4
Download· Permalink
4:08 AM, 12 Nov 2012
DJ Eleazar attached a file: (120) Jump Smokers - Dance Rock Shake Pop [Intro - Clean].mp4
Download· Permalink
DJ Eleazar 4:08 AM - 12 November, 2012
I have tried both 3.0 & 2.0 USB Ports even tried diff USB Cables and tried 2 diff laptops.
give me a number & time to call
DJ Eleazar 1:24 AM - 15 November, 2012
Ok just to give everyone an update. We are doing testing right now but it is coming down to where it is windows 7 64bit is the problem.

Here is what we did:
Before:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

After:
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

And guess what. It works. Same hardware. Same laptop. Same music files. Same v2 files. Everything hardware wise is the exact same. This proves it is not a hardware issue.

Now that we know 100% it is not hardware believe it has something to do with how Windows 7 64bit runs 32bit software(syswow64).

We ran process monitor to see what is being accessed by the serato dj software. A lot of the last things is accessed before the crash had to do with syswow64 stuff. This is why we decided to test it on Windows 7 32bit(so that way it does not use the syswow64 parts of windows).

Now to add more, I do believe it is how the controler itself(DDJ-SX)s driver is the problem not working on 64bit. Why? Because only when it comes down to the Serato DJ software finding the controler, is when the software crashes. We can open the DJ software and have everything load, when the controler is turned off. Turn the controler on, the software crashes.

Now if we leave the DJ software closed, sound is piped through the controler and acts as a sound card. We can use the controler no problems as a sound card. So we know the sound part of the driver is working fine on windows 64 bit.

It all comes down to when the controler communicates with the Serato DJ software that is when the problem is happening on the crashes.

I also believe that is what lead to the glitches we experanced on the times we were able to get everything to load(see the glitching out video posted above)

So now we have it narrowed down. Its ether the DDJ-SX driver or its the Serato DJ software having problem running properly on Windows 7 64bit.
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:39 AM - 15 November, 2012
Hi DJ Eleazar,

This is really helpful information here man. Thanks for posting it all up and sharing it with everybody. I'm glad to hear you have found the cause of your issue and therefore a solution or workaround.

There is a firmware update and a software update coming very soon. I will make sure to pass this information on to the right people to get this resolved, and investigate further.

Matt P
4:00 AM, 29 Nov 2012
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.