Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Loops not engaging on beat.

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL4
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Code:E 7:18 PM - 5 March, 2012
I have had this problem for a while im only now just getting around to reporting it. So I do ALOT of looping in my sets. I play on CDJ2000's in HID mode and I have an Akai MPD32 that i have all of the pads mapped to auto loops. So my issue is in the loop lengths. It almost feels more often than not that serato tries to be "smart" and set the loop length to what it thinks is seemless, its not. When mixing out of tracks I like to set loops to catch parts of the end of a song (usually a vocal, or something like that). Serato knows the BPM of the track and when it actually sets the loop length off of the loop length it is bang on. BUt for some reason serato tries to be smart and set loops of what is thinks is the right length. I know its wrong and know it does this because on the CDJ 2000's in HID mode if you manually set a loop the BPM display will change to the BPM on the loop (great feature). So i can tell that when i set the auto loops that serato tries ajust the loop length. this fucks up so many of my mixes. Luckily i am quick and usually adjust the loop length with the pitch on the CDJ. Though this is a pain in the ass. And its off by alot. I would be fine if my 1 beat loop at 128 was changed to 127.9, but when it sets the loop at 126.3 (example) it send my perfect mix into an amateur sounding boots in a dryer in a hurry!
Can i force serto to only se the loops off of the BPM? if so how?
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:28 PM - 5 March, 2012
Scratch Live adjusts the auto loop depending on the bpm of the files.
My guess is you may have some bpm fluctuations in your files which is confusing to SSL.
This is common if you've ripped music from vinyl.
Did you have SSL add the bpm value to your files?
I never have such issues when using the auto looping feature.
Its always spot on.
Then again.. I play techno so all the music is pretty straight forward at 126-128bpm.
You may find issues when playing other genres of music that aren't as precise on the bpm.
Code:E 8:57 PM - 5 March, 2012
These are all videos bought off xtendamix. SSL has analyzed all of my tracks also Mixed in key as scanned them all too.
Im gonna video tape this cause it is a big issue that needs to be addressed.

Did I not read somewhere Serato (the program) tries to loop "smart" and makes small adjustments to the size of the loop bases on the waveform information. its a good idea so it will properly catch vocals. but it just doesn't work.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:08 PM - 5 March, 2012
Like I said, I've never experienced this myself and we haven't been getting any reports of this happening.
Yes.. Scratch Live will lock to the zero transient as to make sure there are no clicks and pops in the audio but its a good thing. Not a bad one.
Make a video and also upload the file. I'll take a look at it.
Does this happen with normal audio files?
Code:E 3:16 AM - 6 March, 2012
happens on everything video, no video. dosent seem to matter.
Code:E 3:19 AM - 6 March, 2012
Not that your not being helpful Zach. But is there anyone from the serato team that could chime in. maybe they know something in the software thats causing this since its not really a hardware issue.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:17 PM - 6 March, 2012
Sure.. I'll get them on the thread:)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:49 PM - 6 March, 2012
Hey Code:E,

When using manual loops the out point will jump to transients as you have mentioned. It looks like this is more of a feature oversight than a bug. I can talk to the product team and see if this is something that is likely to change at all though.

Cheers,

Sam.
Code:E 12:14 AM - 7 March, 2012
Maybe i need to clarify. seato is jumping to the transient when using auto loops. and i know that it is doing that for sure because the cdj's give me an updated bpm when a loop is set.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:42 AM - 7 March, 2012
This should be the case with auto-loops too I would assume. I will check with the team and get back to you on this though.

Sam.
Code:E 1:20 AM - 7 March, 2012
thank you sam... I will try and film this problem too. Its getting to the point where i cant loop anymore or i have to have my hand on the pitch control as soon as i hit the loop so i can adjust it to correct time.
Code:E 10:41 PM - 27 March, 2012
This issue is not resolved and i have finally found someone else with it.

serato.com

Sam has any of the techs given you more insight on to why this is happening.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:25 AM - 28 March, 2012
Hi Code:E

It is my understand that auto-loops will work the same way, the will jump to the nearest transient.

Are you aware you can adjust the start and end point manually after setting the loop? This could be a workaround for you.

This is simply the way it has been programmed to operate. I can however set this thread to a feature request.

This means that if enough people wish for it to change, then it is possible that the way it operates could be changed in the future.
Code:E 2:26 AM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:
Are you aware you can adjust the start and end point manually after setting the loop? This could be a workaround for you.

Yes i am, and with CDJ in HID mode it is fairly easy, but not practical in any way! I assume you are a DJ also. When playing one track i will loop part of the outgoing track, I do not have time to manually adjust it well in the mix to make it perfect. I would just expect the loop to be at the same tempo. If i didn't want it at the same temp then i would use the IN/OUT function.

I am sure that is everyone was aware that there auto loops didnt loop at the same BPM of the track playing it would be a no brainer to want this changed.
Well mixing you beat match your next track to match with the one playing. you dont expect it to change tempo just because you loop it. Thats just a backwards way of thinking.

I would LOVE if you could sticky this for just one day and spell out what i just said to everyone is a clear way. I could not see a single DJ out there wanting it the way it is currently, there is just no logical reason for it to behave in that way.
Code:E 4:43 AM - 28 March, 2012
Just in case you didnt see it martin, the other thread i was posting in of R-dubs h is the excat same issue that i am having.... I would like to move all future conversation to that thread as i believe my long as post over there gives a better description of the problem.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:31 PM - 28 March, 2012
I understand your issue Code:E.

I see you have started a thread over in the feature suggestion area: serato.com

I recommend you keep the conversation going on over there if you wish to have this part of Scratch Live to change behavior.

I will close this thread now and, as "feature request" and I will continue to track your other thread.